PDA

View Full Version : For those who know their SK books (The Stand in particular) in and out...

CyberGhostface
12-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm attempting to boost Randall Flagg's wikipedia article up to either a Good or Featured status and I've been working pretty hard on it lately. One of its main problems is a lack of sources in some areas. The following are some passages which need citation.

Flagg goes by many names, ranging from the mythical, such as Nyarlathotep (an H. P. Lovecraft character) to the common. Many, but not all, of the names he goes by make use of the initials "R.F." Examples include Richard Fannin, who is involved in the storyline of The Waste Lands, and Rudin Filaro, who appears via flashbacks in The Dark Tower. He also draws on the archetype of the "plague-bearer", particularly in The Stand, and of Ahasuerus, the legendary Wandering Jew. He carries pamphlets for the Ku Klux Klan, the Black Panthers, the Weather Underground and other such groups, presumably to stir up trouble where none exists.

Flagg's appearance is not described in the novels as threatening; he is said to be an average-looking man, taking on the physical appearance of whatever the local people tend to look like. His attire frequently fits into the Americana style: blue jeans, a hooded jacket or a faded denim jacket, and cowboy boots with worn-down heels. He collects and attaches buttons to his clothing over the course of his appearances. Among these are a peace symbol, a smiley face with a bullet hole in the head , and a "CK" button. In The Stand he wears a button with a yellow smiley-face, one with a dead pig wearing a police cap asking "How's your pork?", and a button with an eye on it. In that novel, he is sometimes referred to as "The Walkin Dude", "The Dark Man", or simply as Flagg. However, he often takes on different appearances to adapt to different surroundings on occasions. For example, as Walter o'Dim, he takes on the guise of a hooded monk.

Throughout most of King's novels, Flagg's origins and true nature are left to the reader's imagination. In The Stand, it is suggested that Flagg cannot remember his life before each "era" of his history, and just at some point "became". He has vague memories of having been a Marine, a Klansman, and of being involved in the kidnapping of Patty Hearst. He is shown to be able to detect and find extremists as well as rally them together for malevolent causes. In The Stand, a hypnotized Tom Cullen, who claims to be "God's Tom", tells that Flagg was once cast into a herd of pigs by Jesus, referring to Legion, a demon of many personalities.

So if any Stand fanatics know the pages, if they could drop a line and provide me with some of the bibliographic information (edition and page numbers) so I can add it to the wikipedia article, that'd be great.

Daghain
12-14-2007, 01:17 PM
You should be working on Towerpedia!, dude. :D

Matt
12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Seriously!

That is some amazing information in there. At the very least you could check what Daggers has together, there may be some info here that is not included in the wikipedia

Sai Joshua
12-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Isn't there a reference to him in DT VII right before Mordred eats him where it says something about him being a small boy at one time who was raped? Maybe I am way out in left field on this one, but I could swear I read it. Randall Flagg started out as a normal human boy.

Sai Joshua
12-14-2007, 11:10 PM
I also remember someone telling me that Randall Flagg spelled backwards had some conotations to a demon in Christianity. Not sure on that one, but it would be interesting.

CyberGhostface
12-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Isn't there a reference to him in DT VII right before Mordred eats him where it says something about him being a small boy at one time who was raped? Maybe I am way out in left field on this one, but I could swear I read it. Randall Flagg started out as a normal human boy.

Yeah, his childhood is mentioned in the wikipedia article, but its properly cited so I didn't include it here.

Odetta
12-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I have some more names for him I found in THe Stand... Page 895 complete and uncut version (I have te paperback version, don't know if that matters...
"Richard Frye, Robert Freemont and Richard Freemantle."

Also, page 932 "... the dark man. The Walking Dude. The tall man. ANd Ratty Erwins called him Old Creeping Judas."

Also, page 174 "Christopher Bradenton in Mountain City knew him as Richard Fry"
same page... "In New York he was known as Robert Franq."

OK... the Klan... page 172 first paragraph... there is discussion about all the different pamphlets and such Flagg carries...
"WHen this man handed you a tract you took it no matter what the subject: (lists several including) the Kode of the Klan"

Page 174, 2nd paragraph... "In New York\ he was known as Robert Franq, and his claim that he was a black man had never been disputed, although his skin was very light. ... IN Georgia he was Ramsay Forrest, a distant descendant of Nathan Bedford Forrest, and in his white sheet he had participated in two rapes,a castration,and the burning of a n---er shanty town. BUt that had been long ago... He sometimes thought that he might have been born in that stife. He certainly could not remember much that had happened to him before that, except that he came originally from Nebraska..."

Page 175... "He remebered drifting down to New Orleans in 1962, and meeting a demented young man who was handing out tracts urging America to leave Cuba alone. That man had been a certain Mr. Oswald..."

Same page... "For a while in the early seventies he had been aquainted with a man named Dnaold DeFreeze, and had suggested that DeFreeze take the name Cinque. He had helped lay plans that resulted in the kidnapping of an heiress, and it had been he who suggested that the heiress be made crazy instead of simply ransomed."

Odetta
12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
OK... I found last night the marine comment...

page 968..." That made him grin right out loud. Had he been a Marine once? He thought so..."
regarding his memory loss...
same page 968... "He was losing himself. Once, he had been able to look back over the sixties, seventies, and eighties like a man looking down a double flight of stairs leading into a darkened room. Now he could only clearly remember the events since the superflu."
"The earliest memory he could now be sure of was of walking south on US 51..."

CyberGhostface
12-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks, that's a real help. :)

Odetta
12-17-2007, 07:44 AM
no problem! I'm in the middle of rereading it anyhow!

CyberGhostface
12-17-2007, 09:52 AM
One more question, sorry...what page is when Flagg's buttons are described?

Odetta
12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
the buttons are mentioned on page 172, first paragraph.

Bev Vincent
12-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Check out my biography of Flagg in The Road to the Dark Tower for some info, too

Matt
12-21-2007, 08:39 AM
It really is a great book, everyone should pick it up. I have found it invaluable along the path of the beam.

Daghain
12-21-2007, 09:28 AM
:thumbsup:

It's very useful. :D

LadyHitchhiker
12-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Anybody say anything about how he likes to wander through the world, carrying
pamphlets of different varieties?

ATG
12-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Check out my biography of Flagg in The Road to the Dark Tower for some info, too

Hey dude, I just bought your book last week.
I'm reading sections regarding each novel as I go rereading the DT ( with the exception of DT7 which I never finished as I felt the need to start over again, you know, savor the experience like a fine class of wine. ).

It's well put together. Cheers!:thumbsup:

Ruthful
12-24-2007, 12:14 PM
:thumbsup:

It's very useful. :D

Co-sign.

It's an invaluable resource for navigating the connections between chapters of The Dark Tower and its links to related works. The one qualm I would express is the analysis of IT-I don't necessarily agree with the premise that it's peripheral to the whole Dark Tower multiverse-but otherwise I found it to be very useful.

I still haven't gone over the chapters focusing on Patrick Davnville and The Crimson King-since I haven't completed "Insomnia" yet-but the rest of the book is fascinating.

Jon
12-27-2007, 03:45 AM
There is another name given him in The Dragon's Eye. I'll see if I can find it later.

Jon
12-28-2007, 11:59 PM
There is another name given him in The Dragon's Eye. I'll see if I can find it later.

I found two in The Dragon's Eye.