PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Stevie wants you to vote...for the best novel of all time

Bev Vincent
08-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Dear Constant Readers: This is fun, if you're into "bracketology," or even if you're not. If you go to Best Novels of All Time on the Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/16/best-novel-of-all-time_n_1792173.html?ir=Books), you'll see a series of face-offs (To Kill a Mockingbird versus The Great Gatsby, for instance). I urge you not only to vote, but to use Twitter and Facebook to spread the word.

BUT.

Uncle Stevie says YOU MUST NOT VOTE FOR A BOOK YOU HAVEN'T READ. Which was why I couldn't vote for Moby Dick. Everyone says it's great and blah-blah-blah, but I drown in whale-oil every time I try it. My bad, people, I admit it. So…you may have to leave some brackets entirely blank. But this way it's fair.

And no, you can't vote for one of my books, 'cause I didn't make the cut. Still…happy voting, and spread the word. I'm guessing the champ might be Great Expectations, but I've been wrong before. Once in 1972, and once…mmm…no, that time I was right.

Vote! It's a great warm-up for November!

Jean
08-23-2012, 06:35 AM
thank you

bears have voted

(love Moby Dick, by the way)

mae
08-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Ugh, Lolita is trailing Great Expectations 55.64% to 44.36% as of my vote. One of my favorite novels. I wrote an English Honors essay on it my junior year. Fond memories.

jhanic
08-23-2012, 07:25 AM
I voted for To Kill a Mockingbird. A true classic that I've read numerous times.

John

Iwritecode
08-23-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm pretty sure I read Great Expectations and To Kill a Mockingbird in HS but I don't really remember either one of them. I've never read any of the others. So no voting for me.

Ricky
08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I've only read The Great Gatsby and To Kill A Mockingbird out of all of those (voted for Mockingbird). It irritates me that, again, the "classics" are pretty much the contenders for Best Novel. :rolleyes:

Jean
08-23-2012, 09:50 AM
I really hope Mockingbird will win. Of those listed it is the greatest.

Merlin1958
08-23-2012, 09:54 AM
OK, BIG error here. Where is LOTR? As I recall it has sold only second to the "Bible". How the heck is it not included here? Did I miss something? If it is not listed it invalidates the entire contest IMHO

Edit: For the record, it has been published as a single volume several times. Also, even though technically 3 volumes it was intended as a single saga.

Randall Flagg
08-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Sadly I can not vote.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-25-2012, 09:43 PM
I am ashamed to say, that although many of these are on my "too read list", I've read none of them.

mtdman
08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I read the cliff's notes of Moby Dick. Does that count?

WeDealInLead
08-26-2012, 03:49 PM
OK, BIG error here. Where is LOTR? As I recall it has sold only second to the "Bible". How the heck is it not included here? Did I miss something? If it is not listed it invalidates the entire contest IMHO

Edit: For the record, it has been published as a single volume several times. Also, even though technically 3 volumes it was intended as a single saga.

It might be most read out of all the ones listed but it's hardly literature.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-26-2012, 03:51 PM
lit·er·a·ture   /ˈlɪtərətʃər, -ˌtʃʊər, ˈlɪtrə-/ Show Spelled[lit-er-uh-cher, -choor, li-truh-] Show IPA
noun
1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays.
2. the entire body of writings of a specific language, period, people, etc.: the literature of England.
3. the writings dealing with a particular subject: the literature of ornithology.
4. the profession of a writer or author.
5. literary work or production.

I'd say it fits a few of these....

WeDealInLead
08-26-2012, 03:54 PM
You can nitpick all you want but I'm sure you know what I mean.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Well how do you define literature? What qualifies a work as literary?

WeDealInLead
08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I suppose number one requirement would be quality writting, not necessarily the number of books sold.

stkmw02
08-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Oh... no.... I can't choose between Gatsby and Mockingbird! I just love them both so much, I cannot choose!

Merlin1958
08-26-2012, 04:50 PM
You can nitpick all you want but I'm sure you know what I mean.

WDIL. I used to have respect for you and your opinion, but I'm afraid, on my end anyway, that the feeling is diminished with this argument. Not only is LOTR a great literary work, virtually unchallenged by anyone I know of or about except, you but, the man created an entire language not to mention a viable mythology that spawned and entire industry. I really hate to say it, but I am deeply disappointed here. I really don't see your argument in any way, shape or form. Having said that I guess we will have to agree to disagree, but really man? I truly mean no disrespect, but you really went against all odds in your position and I see any medium ground. Sorry, but you are "on your own" with this. Literally!!!

It's a dark day when the second bestselling novel to the Bible is trashed as non-literature!!!!! Stephen King based his magnum opus "The Dark Tower series" on Tolkien!!!!

You're just Fucking with me, aren't you?

WeDealInLead
08-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh geez, now what do I do?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
To classify Tolkien as "poor writing" is rather arrogant dont you think......I mean I'm sure his shoddy, contrived novels pale in comparison to the glorious works of prose that have spewed forth from your pen.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I have yet to find a top 100 or even top 50 list of novels that doesn't contain the LOTR trilogy.

And just to be clear...I enjoy LOTR, but am not a diehard fan... I can however recognize talent when I read it.

WeDealInLead
08-26-2012, 05:16 PM
To classify Tolkien as "poor writing" is rather arrogant dont you think......I mean I'm sure his shoddy, contrived novels pale in comparison to the glorious works of prose that have spewed forth from your pen.

When you make a personal attack over an opinion on a book, all discussion stops. I think you'll just have to carry on living knowing some guy (me) on tdt.org doesn't think Tolkien is all that great (even if I own 3 different editions of LOTR books, and 4 of The Hobbit.)

I mean, I didn't even call his writting poor, I just don't think it's as good as the books in the poll.

Merlin1958
08-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Hey, I give!!! You are of course, entitled to your opinion. Of course, have you read every novel on the list? If so, your opinion certainly counts. I may not agree, but then that's what it's all about, right?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-26-2012, 05:25 PM
You didnt say it was "poor writing", you implied that it did not meet your standard of "quality writing" to define it as literature. I fail to see the difference. Also, it makes no sense to me that you would by multiple copies of books that you think are not quality writing....maybe you are one of those collectors who dont read their books.

stkmw02
08-26-2012, 05:34 PM
It's gettin' a little hot in here, fellas...

jhanic
08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
I agree. Let's turn the temperature down a bit, okay?

John

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Ooooohhh, I'll be icy from now on!

Merlin1958
08-26-2012, 05:49 PM

:emot-flame:

Jean
08-26-2012, 11:00 PM

I mean, I didn't even call his writting poor, I just don't think it's as good as the books in the poll.

hmmmm

stkmw02
08-27-2012, 02:09 AM
*feeds the bears* *hugs the bears*

No one else had the same difficulty choosing between Gatsby and Mockingbird?

Randall Flagg
08-27-2012, 05:26 AM
I think they are fine. Passionate about their own opinion, but not (yet) behaving in an offensive manner.

WeDealInLead
08-27-2012, 05:48 AM

hmmmm

Yes and? I wrote that because it's precisely how I see it.

Look (to Bill mostly), there's a thing such as a fan favourite (LOTR) and then there is good writting. Faced with a dilemma of reading Nabokov, Hemingway or any other literary giants, or Steve King's The Gunslinger, I'll pick The Gunslinger for ever and ever. I can't deny that Hemingway is a superior writter though.

I think it was you Jean who when discussing the DT books said that book X is your favourite but book Y is a better book. I'm applying the same principle to LOTR books and the books in the poll. I could apply the same to the Star Wars movies. They're in my permanent top 5. Still, there are plot holes, under and overacting, inconsistencies, the Cantina band etc. and in reality, they're great entertainment but they're average movies at best.

mtdman
08-27-2012, 08:38 AM
I never liked the LOTR books. I personally couldn't get into the mythology that he created.

And I voted for Gatsby. I love that book.

pathoftheturtle
08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
LOTR is escapist. It's great adventure and imagination, but it's not very meaningful or applicable to the human condition.

RainInSpain
08-28-2012, 01:14 AM
Does being escapist automatically deprive a book of a chance to be considered a "great" work of literature? I'm not speaking specifically about LOTR (as it happens, I'm not a fan, only read it once), just thinking about the definition of literary " greatness" in general.

Brice
08-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Most of the elitist literati would say yes. I mean high literature can be escapist, but generally MUST speak to or of the human condition. It should be moving in some way. Now whether it is so is a subject of debate. Literature at least how the elitists seem to think of it consists of the works which will be considered "important" decades from now. Really it's all speculation. I mean it's looking at what will endure in people's hearts and minds as great...whatever the fuck that is. So let's look at Tolkien (and King for that matter) and really I'm just gonna' comment on one little thing that leads me to say that yes, they are literature. Now I have a general disdain for literary criticism as a form (though there are some great examples of it and I make exceptions for some), but the sheer volume of writing about both King and Tolkien (including writing by people like Harold Bloom) leads me to believe that these two will endure whether those who guard the canon like Gollum like it or not. :) So would I put LOTR up with any of these, yes...and I've read most of them. Of course everyone will have different opinions and mine is that it doesn't really matter wtf you're reading as long as you're reading.

stkmw02
08-28-2012, 05:02 AM
I concur, Brice.

Also, I was not a fan of LOTR in terms of story - but I appreciated it as a work of literature. I was interested in Tolkein's writing style and creativity, his ability to compose a tale that is both fantasy and reflection of society. I enjoyed discovering the characters, even though I was not totally geeked about the journey itself. I love drawing comparisons between LOTR and other epic journeys in literature.

And yes... READ.

Merlin1958
08-28-2012, 07:12 PM
What ever you folks want to agree on as its "Category" or position in Literature, The LOTR is second only to the "Bible" in sales. Detract, Add, say it's not relevent. but the Populace over rides. Nevertheless, go forth and trash, as you will. I, any many millions like me, adore these books. So, who is right? The "select minority" or the people who actually buy and read them?

As Krystle says, Reading is the tantamount.

Jean
08-29-2012, 12:51 AM

hmmmm

Yes and? I wrote that because it's precisely how I see it.

Look (to Bill mostly), there's a thing such as a fan favourite (LOTR) and then there is good writting. Faced with a dilemma of reading Nabokov, Hemingway or any other literary giants, or Steve King's The Gunslinger, I'll pick The Gunslinger for ever and ever. I can't deny that Hemingway is a superior writter though.

I think it was you Jean who when discussing the DT books said that book X is your favourite but book Y is a better book. I'm applying the same principle to LOTR books and the books in the poll. I could apply the same to the Star Wars movies. They're in my permanent top 5. Still, there are plot holes, under and overacting, inconsistencies, the Cantina band etc. and in reality, they're great entertainment but they're average movies at best.
Sorry, I don't see how this argument (with which I totally agree) is connected with the contradiction between the two statements I quoted. What except "poor writing" qualifies as "hardly literature"?

Also, I was not a fan of LOTR in terms of story - but I appreciated it as a work of literature. I was interested in Tolkein's writing style and creativity, his ability to compose a tale that is both fantasy and reflection of society. I enjoyed discovering the characters, even though I was not totally geeked about the journey itself. I love drawing comparisons between LOTR and other epic journeys in literature..
This, verbatim :rose:

WeDealInLead
08-29-2012, 07:43 AM
[Sorry, I don't see how this argument (with which I totally agree) is connected with the contradiction between the two statements I quoted. What except "poor writing" qualifies as "hardly literature"?

The Golden Middle. Check my book list and you'll see it's almost all the golden middle. It's what makes me happy but I'm not delusional to think most of those books will win some literary awards.

Brainslinger
08-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't think I've read enough to vote on that list.

For example I LOVE Great Expectations. It's probably one of my favourite Dickens Novels (although David Copperfield is up there) and I'm sure I would prefer it to Lolita... but I haven't read Lolita, so is it fair I choose Great Expectations?

Oh, and I can understand Stephen King's difficulty in reading Moby Dick. I have read it but I found it quite a struggle. And way overrated in my opinion.