PDA

View Full Version : Callahan's Story *Spoilers*

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 04:50 PM
What are your favorite parts of it, if you have any? Or if you don't like it/hate it, why? I know some found it too slow (theres that "slowness" business again). Personally, Callahan's story is one of my favorite parts of this book, especially detailing when he gets lured by Sayre and his waking up in the Way Station and meeting Walter...all WONDERFUL stuff. Sometimes I like to go and just re-read that part specifically 'cause I love it so much.

jayson
12-10-2007, 05:03 PM
I love the use of Callahan's story to reveal more about the multiverse with the whole "highways in hiding" thing. The passages about the different presidents on the money, and the different cities across the GW Bridge. That to me is the essence of great Stephen King writing. Callahan's story may unravel slowly, but it is told so richly that I could care less about pace at that point.

Childe 007
12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I love the use of Callahan's story to reveal more about the multiverse with the whole "highways in hiding" thing. The passages about the different presidents on the money, and the different cities across the GW Bridge. That to me is the essence of great Stephen King writing. Callahan's story may unravel slowly, but it is told so richly that I could care less about pace at that point.

Well said. The whole Highways in Hiding thing is what prompted me to go back and re-read/ read all of King's works. And I always look for the other characters who may have wandered onto those Highways - lots of candidates in there for Tet, Sombra, North Central - in all those stories set between 1977 and 1999...

That is also one of my favorite DT moments because it - along with the ka-tet's little Kansas adventure - links it to all of King's books. Bolded or not I think they are all part of it.

Jean
12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
I love every word of Callahan's story, but the very top is his encounter with Hitler Brothers, and, subsequently, Calvin and Aaron.

Darkthoughts
12-11-2007, 03:10 AM
I also loved Callahan's back story. I love the image of him walking across the unseen bridge into the other when's of America. It reminded me very much of Ted Brautigan's history.

jayson
12-11-2007, 04:29 AM
I also loved Callahan's back story. I love the image of him walking across the unseen bridge into the other when's of America. It reminded me very much of Ted Brautigan's history.

I think the Pere and Brautigan would have really liked one another.

Darkthoughts
12-11-2007, 04:39 AM
Yeah, me too. That would've been cool to see those guys, sat on a porch together with a cold beer, shooting the breeze :couple:

jayson
12-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Yeah, me too. That would've been cool to see those guys, sat on a porch together with a cold beer, shooting the breeze :couple:

If Callahan could handle the beer without becoming a drunk again. :doh:

Letti
12-11-2007, 06:15 AM
I loved it a lot. How he failed and how he lost his belief and how he could stand up and survive... such an amazing story.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 06:17 AM
I can say that my favorite parts were his description of being able to see the vampires, and the highways that he found. I kind of reminded me of the Talisman

Letti
12-11-2007, 06:21 AM
My top favourite part was when that main vampire broke his cross because he lost his belief... and what he told him.
Do you remember what the vampire told Callahan? It rocks but my memory is a bag of... so it's very bad.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 06:22 AM
I know what you talking about and agree, it was a great phrase, but I can't remember either :(

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 06:58 AM
One of my favorite moments in Callahan's story is when responding to Walter, he actually manages to catch the old demon off guard and get this reply -

"I am what ka and the King and the Tower have made me. We all are. We're caught."

A very cool, deep little insight into Mr. Padick.

jayson
12-11-2007, 07:09 AM
One of my favorite moments in Callahan's story is when responding to Walter, he actually manages to catch the old demon off guard and get this reply -

"I am what ka and the King and the Tower have made me. We all are. We're caught."

A very cool, deep little insight into Mr. Padick.

Agreed. The whole meeting of the Pere and Walter fascinated me and made me want to read DT-1 all over again knowing the Pere was at the Way Station.

Brice
12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
My top favourite part was when that main vampire broke his cross because he lost his belief... and what he told him.
Do you remember what the vampire told Callahan? It rocks but my memory is a bag of... so it's very bad.

From 'Salem's Lot:

"Nowhere left to go," Barlow murmured sadly. His dark eyes bubbled with infernal mirth. "Sad to see a man's faith fail. Ah, well..."

The cross trembled in Callahan's hand and suddenly the last of it's light vanished. It was only a piece of plaster that his mother had bought in a Dublin souvenir shop, probably at a scalper's price. The power it had sent ramming up his arm, enough power to smash down walls and shatter stone, was gone. The muscles remembered the thrumming but could not duplicate it.

Barlow reached from the darkness and plucked the cross from his fingers. Callahan cried out miserably, the cry that had vibrated in the soul-but never the throat-of that long-ago child who had been left alone each night with Mr. Flip peering out of the closet at him between the shutters of sleep. And the next sound would haunt him for the rest of his life: two dry snaps as Barlow broke the arms of the cross, and a meaningless thump as he threw it on the floor.

"God damn you" he cried out.

"It's too late for such melodrama," Barlow said from the darkness. His voice was almost sorrowful. " There is no need of it. You have forgotten the doctine of your own church, is it not so? The cross...the bread and wine...the confessional...only symbols. Without faith the cross is only wood, the bread baked wheat, the wine sour grapes. If you had cast the cross away, you should have beaten me another night. In a way, I hoped it might be so.It has been long since I have met an opponent of any real worth. The boy makes ten of you, false priest.

Suddenly, out of the darkness, hands of amazing strength gripped Callahan's shoulders.

"You would welcome the oblivion of my death now, I think. There is no memory for the Undead; only the hunger and the need to serve the Master. I could make use of you. I could send you among your friends. Yet is there need of that? Without you to lead them, I think they are little. And the boy will tell them. One moves against them at this time. There is, perhaps, a more fitting punishment for you, false priest."

He remembered Matt saying Some things are worse than death.

He tried to struggle away, but the hands held him in a viselike grip. Then one hand left him. There was the sound of cloth moving across bare skin, and then a scaping sound.

The hands moved to his neck.

"Come, false priest. Learn of a true religion. Take my communion."

Understanding washed over Callahan in a ghostly flood.

"No! Don't...don't-"

But the hands were implacable. His head was drawn forward, forward, forward.

"Now, priest," Barlow whispered.

And Callahan's mouth was pressed against the reeking flesh of the vampire's cold throat, where an old vein pulsed. He held his breath for what seemed like aeons, twisting his head wildly and to no avail, smearing the blood acvross his cheeks and forehead and chin like war paint.

Yet at last, he drank.

I'm not sure if the exact wording is in this dialogue. I'm not sure where in TDT it was mentioned.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:49 AM
That moment just gives me chills. :cool:

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks Brice

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Speaking of which...one of the things I loved about his story was the expansion of understanding of vampires, the different types, how they're working with Sombra Corp etc. Looooooove it.

Brice
12-11-2007, 07:55 AM
I simply liked it all because it brought me back to memories of 'Salem's Lot.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:56 AM
I do love that we got to see what happened to Callahan after he bailed out of Jerusalems Lot, but how it connects with and expands on things within the Dark Tower series is whats the most important to me.

Brice
12-11-2007, 07:59 AM
I can understand that. He was just a character I liked alot and remembered fondly from my years earlier readings of "salem's Lot. It was nice to see it expanded upon and connected to the tower.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 08:01 AM
I do love that we got to see what happened to Callahan after he bailed out of Jerusalems Lot, but how it connects with and expands on things within the Dark Tower series is whats the most important to me.

I can understand that. He was just a character I liked alot and remembered fondly from my years earlier readings of "salem's Lot. It was nice to see it expanded upon and connected to the tower.

What you said, I'm glad he played an important role in the end

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah and most importantly, he made a fine meal for the Grandfathers.

Brice
12-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah and most importantly, he made a fine meal for the Grandfathers.

:cry:

Darkthoughts
12-11-2007, 11:09 AM

If Callahan could handle the beer without becoming a drunk again. :doh:

Root beer? :lol:

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Brice, don't you know that an important part of a Grandfather's diet is to rip apart and drain the blood of an formerly broken, alcoholic hume priest at least once every millenia? I thought this was common knowledge.

Brice
12-11-2007, 11:11 AM
...and it had to be after he redeemed himself, right? :lol:

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, because thats when hes juiciest.

Wuducynn
12-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Just on my billionth re-read of Wolves right now and am in the middle of Callahan's story where we learn of the "low men" and how he describes them... :harrier: I'm lovin' it!

Brainslinger
03-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I always thought it was a bit dodgy when Calahan chose to have some graf whilst telling his story. Being a recovering alcoholic and all.

I love the stories of Calahan's adventures too. He's one of my favourite charcters in the King multiverse.

One thing that's a bit odd though. He mentioned having some great boots which he took from one of his vampire victims. He said they were still in the house. Thing is... how is that possible since he woke in the way station with Mid-World gear?

Hee hee!

I'm also curious where he got all his books on Arthur Eld, since books are hard to come by in that world. He definitely didn't get them from our side though, as he mentions that the myths are very different from our version of Arthur. Trading with the barges maybe? The Manni?

Jean
03-11-2008, 12:27 AM
there's a whole thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1731) dedicated to Callahan's boots
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

obscurejude
03-11-2008, 12:51 AM
there's a whole thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1731) dedicated to Callahan's boots
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

I thought so Jean. I was trying to remember and couldn't. Once again, you are ridiculously awesome.

Jean
03-11-2008, 04:11 AM
::blushing bear::

ManOfWesternesse
03-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Good thread this.
Yes, like most/all above I loved Callahans back-story. Some truly great writing by King.

Letti
03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I am just about to reread it. I love the way Callahan talks.

Letti
03-14-2008, 12:57 AM
I have just reread the part where Callahan kills his first vampire while that was drinking his love's blood... and he can hear the song "someone saved my love tonight..." - last time this part didn't touch me but now it did. And I know the song as well and it gives eve more to it.
Anyway that song rocks.

Wuducynn
03-14-2008, 04:39 AM
I've always liked the song, but now that it is attached to the Dark Tower series, it means so much more to me. :harrier:

MonteGss
03-14-2008, 04:42 AM
I listen to the song often, I like it a lot too. :)

jayson
03-14-2008, 04:50 AM
i'll be honest, i've always hated that song. when it became part of DT i gave it another try, but still, not. i can see where it fits the story bc it was DEF an overplayed song on NY radio when i was there, so i can see how callahan would have heard it all the time in his when. i feel like i did.

Letti
03-16-2008, 01:36 AM
i'll be honest, i've always hated that song. when it became part of DT i gave it another try, but still, not. i can see where it fits the story bc it was DEF an overplayed song on NY radio when i was there, so i can see how callahan would have heard it all the time in his when. i feel like i did.

Adn what's the problem with it? Can you put your finger on it?

jayson
03-16-2008, 01:48 AM

Adn what's the problem with it? Can you put your finger on it?

sure can. it's overproduced [it has too many layers to it], it's too long, and it's kinda boring. i love the album it is from, and i really like old elton john, but not that song.

Letti
03-16-2008, 01:54 AM
*nods* Okay, now I understand it.

jayson
03-16-2008, 01:56 AM
it doesn't help that where i grew up it got SO much radio air play that it got old very quickly. i just feel i've heard it a billion times. i do think it works great for Callahan though

Letti
03-16-2008, 02:10 AM
I can imagine easily that he was fed up with it a lot after awhile.

MonteGss
03-16-2008, 07:01 AM
If I heard it on the radio as many times as R_of_G has, I'd probably hate it too. That has happened to me so often and is one of the reasons I think all radio is crap. Small playlists that are repeated over and over based on popularity or other reasons.

Ok, back on topic. Yeah, even though it is a damned long song, I still like it however I only started liking after The Dark Tower. :)

Childe 007
03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Capt Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy....

Now if that's not The Crimson King and Roland I don't know what is :)

I loved Someone Saved My Life... and still do. Great song. Great album.

Wuducynn
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Capt Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy....

Now if that's not The Crimson King and Roland I don't know what is :)

:lol: Awesome

I loved Someone Saved My Life... and still do. Great song. Great album.

Same here. :thumbsup:

Brainslinger
03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I listened to that song on Youtube, as I just couldn't place it. My reaction was.... not bad but nothing great. That being said, if I'd heard it in the context that Callahan did would my reaction be different?

Off-topic, but Paint it Black good song. Again I couldn't place them when I first came across them, but after hearing... and rereading the scene in Waste Lands with Eddie walking along the road in his New York dream... goose pimples. Almost. Interesting how a songs lyrics taken out of context can be so effective.

Fall of Gilead
04-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Callahan's story, one of my favorite bits of DT5. I loved the little revisit to the way station.

oxnard111
01-14-2009, 11:00 AM
has anybody figured out who Ruda on the lost pet poster in Alabama might be? Ruda the 2 year old cat who is noisy and full of fun?

Empath of the White
01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
It wasn't my favorite part of the book, but I liked how King drew the low men into the main Tower books and showed us the Highways in Hiding.

Mad Man
01-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I loved the Callahan's story :clap: a real masterpiece, very well written - my 100% fav part from the DT5.

Jean
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I loved the Callahan's story :clap: a real masterpiece, very well written - my 100% fav part from the DT5.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Whitey Appleseed
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
has anybody figured out who Ruda on the lost pet poster in Alabama might be? Ruda the 2 year old cat who is noisy and full of fun?

Hi oxnard...wondered the same thing...was it Ruda, or Ruta...I thought Ruta, but maybe it is Ruda...whatever the case, I thought I read later in the book that name and it was associated with a Siamese cat. I hope I'm clear. For some reason I'm often misunderstood...I'll see if I can find the location when I get a chance...(I'm new, too, what say, pardner?)

Whitey Appleseed
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
There’s a couple, three references to Ruta that I’m aware of. Couple of them, in “The Priest’s Tale Concluded(Unfound), one of the two in section eleven, p577 my pbc, Callahan is telling them about the drink, how he raved to anyone who would listen, about a bunch of stuff, including “Ruta, who really might have been full of fun but who sure wasn’t a Siamese cat.”

Next one, same chapter, but in section twelve, p 578 my pbc, Callahan in jail, sitting on his bunk, “Mouth doesn’t taste so good—sort of like Ruta the Siamese Cat took a dump in it, if you wanted the truth—but his head isn’t aching too badly.” The word “Cat” in this instance has the upper case “C” though not that way in the previous version. H’mmm? Shrug. Dunno.

The first instance of the name Ruta, the one you’re referring to I take it, is from the chapter called “The Priest’s Tale Continued (Highways in Hiding), section four, p393 my pbc, and it’s in the form of how it would appear on the poster that Calllahan sees during his time in Chumm’s Traveling Wonder Show, in the town of Yazoo City, Mississippi:

“Lost! Siamese Cat, 2 Yrs Old
Answers to the name of Ruta
She is noisy but full of fun
Large reward offered
$$$$$$
Dial 764, wait for beep, give your number
God Bless You For Helping

(cont’d next page)

“Who is Ruta? Callahan doesn’t know. All he knows is that she is NOISY and FULL OF FUN. Will she still be noisy when the low men catch up to her? Will she still be full of fun?
Callahan doubts it.”

There’s a lot about Callahan’s Tale that is interesting, enlightening and baffling, like what he refers to as the two times he went todash, once to Mexico for the funeral and once to the castle, as I recall, of the Crimson King. Maybe Ruta is another unanswered mystery, maybe Ruta is the cat from hell, maybe somebody else has the answer. Could be the answer lies further along the path...reading Song of Susannah. Hope I helped. If I find more info I'll come back and post it.

Darkthoughts
01-15-2009, 03:36 AM
Ruta is a child that I don't believe we meet in DT or any other King book before or after this point.

This is also a case in point of what I was saying in the other thread - I don't think there's any hidden meaning to it other than as a plot technique to refresh our memories (from Hearts In Atlantis) of the Low Men's use of missing pet posters to track down their intended captives/breakers.

Whitey Appleseed
01-15-2009, 03:57 AM
How do we know Ruta is a child? Cause the cat is a 2 yr old I guess, huh? I don't think oxnard111 saw any deep and meaningful message hidden meaning in the lost pet poster. Oxnard111's question was: has anybody figured out who Ruda on the lost pet poster in Alabama might be? It's fun to speculate about things, as people do on other threads...to paraphrase one, "give us the worst possible ending with Roland at the Tower, or McDonald's, or something." Oxnard111 asked an honest question and I tried to provide an honest answer, nothing more, nothing less.

Darkthoughts
01-15-2009, 04:41 AM
How do we know Ruta is a child?
Simply because, if you've read the books, and Hearts In Atlantis too - although it's not entirely necessary, you'll know that the Low Men track the people the CK has ordered them to catch to work as Breakers by leaving these lost pet posters. They have made similar ones for Roland, Callahan and Brautigan (who were all listed as being dogs).

I think you misunderstood Oxnard's question...or perhaps you read too much into it :orely:, because he/she asked who Ruta was, not what.

ManOfWesternesse
01-15-2009, 04:45 AM
How do we know Ruta is a child?
...the Low Men track the people the CK has ordered them to catch to work as Breakers by leaving these lost pet posters...
Yes indeed.
And the poster description should bear some resemblance to who they're after.
So definitely in this case a young child (maybe not nessecarily a 2 yr old but probably close).
She is probably a potential strong breaker, if they're after her so young?

jayson
01-15-2009, 05:15 AM
I don't think there's any hidden meaning to it other than as a plot technique to refresh our memories (from Hearts In Atlantis) of the Low Men's use of missing pet posters to track down their intended captives/breakers.

Exactly, and it works not only to remind of us the Low Men and their methods, but to remind us...

... of Ted whom we meet again.

I think it added a lot of depth to Callahan's back story. I always loved Callahan's back story. Truth be told, I was pretty meh about Salem's Lot until I first read Wolves. I then immediately went back and re-read the Lot and while I still don't love it as a stand-alone story, I love it as a piece of Donald Callahan's history. Combined with the story he tells the tet in Wolves, it makes Callahan one of the most well developed of all of King's characters, and one of my favorites. I'd have happily read another 100 pages of Callahan's stories.

And I agree that Ruta was a child and there aren't a lot of reasons Low Men look for children.

oxnard111
01-16-2009, 04:06 PM
thanks guys... I didn't know it was RUTA... I thought it was RUDA b/c I am listening to the books on audiobook. I first read the DT series about 5 years ago, now this time I am listening to them.

I had just wondered if anybody had made a connection with another character from King book I haven't read, but it doesn't look like it. I honestly haven't read many of King's books. I have read the DT series, Hearts, Everything's Eventual, Salem's, and almost finished with The Talisman.

Whitey Appleseed
01-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Yeah but I want to read something more into it. How about the spelling, huh? Huh? Huh!
Capital "C"! Gorry! Gotta be Charlie, from Firestarter, noisy and full of fun! Isn't "Ruta" government-speak for small girl with amazing talents? Sure it is. Simple fact. Just like the SS has all those code names for the first family. Or maybe some kind of transit system, rural-urban-transit-authority, noisy and full of fun.

Brice
01-17-2009, 05:10 AM
Yeah but I want to read something more into it. How about the spelling, huh? Huh? Huh!
Capital "C"! Gorry! Gotta be Charlie, from Firestarter, noisy and full of fun! Isn't "Ruta" government-speak for small girl with amazing talents? Sure it is. Simple fact. Just like the SS has all those code names for the first family. Or maybe some kind of transit system, rural-urban-transit-authority, noisy and full of fun.

Ummm...doesn't postulating that something has a symbolic or metaphorical meaning kinda obligate an intelligent person to clearly state what they're suggesting the object/subject might mean and why? :unsure: If you're suggesting that something has some underlying meaning can you enlighten us please in a somewhat cohesive manner?

Whitey Appleseed
01-17-2009, 05:55 AM

Ummm...doesn't postulating that something has a symbolic or metaphorical meaning kinda obligate an intelligent person to clearly state what they're suggesting the object/subject might mean and why? :unsure: If you're suggesting that something has some underlying meaning can you enlighten us please in a somewhat cohesive manner?

Guess you couldn't see my tongue in my cheek, Brice. Cry yer pardon. Obviously, you're still peeved about the "edifice complex" pun. I get the feeling that folk don't want me around. That's fine. Just tell me and I won't come 'round here no more. Anyway, I got the message, "get off my lawn" and I'll do so, maybe after this post. No problem. Enjoy the day.

Brice
01-17-2009, 06:02 AM

Guess you couldn't see my tongue in my cheek, Brice. Cry yer pardon. Obviously, you're still peeved about the "edifice complex" pun. I get the feeling that folk don't want me around. That's fine. Just tell me and I won't come 'round here no more. Anyway, I got the message, "get off my lawn" and I'll do so, maybe after this post. No problem. Enjoy the day.

No, that's not it at all. To be honest I'd just like it if you were a little clearer when suggesting something. It's a bit hard to follow the line of your thinking when you digress as much as you do. I'm not telling you to "get off my lawn" as you put it. It ain't even my lawn, it's ours.

Jean
01-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Whitey: there can be no dialog unless one of the sides involved doesn't make any effort towards being understood. I don't know how Brice's post could be misunderstood the way you did - he just asked you for clarification, which I, too, was going to do long ago. Can you please restate your post in a way that would enable understanding and further dialog?

Brice
01-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Yes, my point exactly. The point of a messageboard is communication. If their isn't an attempt to facilitate understanding there can be no communication thus negating the point of a messageboard.

alinda
01-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys for trying to get this threads topic cleared up, I was beginning to
get really confused, as to what the point tof the discussion was myself.
Personally I completely related and enjoyed to Callahans wanderings on the lost highways
and also his later adventures with the katet, I understand his character quite well
somehow.

LadyHitchhiker
01-17-2009, 07:14 PM
I loved the whole Callahan story. It was so interesting to see another man going through the doors and finding out about the other worlds.

Wuducynn
01-18-2009, 05:47 PM
enjoyed to Callahans wanderings on the lost highways
and also his later adventures with the katet, I understand his character quite well
somehow.

Same here. I loved the lonely feelings his wanderings gave me.

Bumbler19
02-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I love Pere's story, I just finished the series earlier this month, now I am reading Salem's Lot, I have yet to hear that much about the Pere, only bits and pieces here and there, but i sure am excited!

soapmaker19
09-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I always thought it was a bit dodgy when Calahan chose to have some graf whilst telling his story. Being a recovering alcoholic and all.

Pretty sure that was just regular cider, not graf. I'll have to check. If you're right that's an even more glaring discrepancy than the boots.

LadyHitchhiker
09-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I was surprised completely by Father Callahan showing up in the book and loved every moment of it.

Wuducynn
09-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure it is cider he's drinking in that part.

jayson
09-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it is cider he's drinking in that part.

"If it's clear and yella, you've got juice there, fella; if it’s tangy and brown, you’re in cider town!" - Ned Flanders

lowdown
09-28-2009, 06:08 PM

yea i agree ...but cound'nt have King just brought in any caracter from any book .....but the father was probally the best choice i guess.......or jack Sawyer maybe

Wuducynn
09-28-2009, 06:16 PM
I think Faddah Callahan the False Priest was intended by King to be involved in the Dark Tower Series from awhile back. Originally I don't think King had any intention of connecting The Talisman with the Dark Tower Series until Straub told him he wanted the next book to be Dark Tower connected.

Brainslinger
09-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Pretty sure that was just regular cider, not graf. I'll have to check. If you're right that's an even more glaring discrepancy than the boots.

Possibly. My point really was that he is a recovering alcoholic and cider (be it graf or not) is alcoholic. Of course it might be possible that certain drinks are less, erm, moreish for alcoholics, kind of like how drug addicts become addicted to a specific type of drug. I don't think it's the case with drinks though as the drug is the same in all of them; alcohol.

Anyhow not a big deal. Seems ages ago that I made that post. Curiously, I was just thinking again about the boots/clothing discrepancy the other day too. I know King tends to write his books in the same order in which we read them with little in way of plot design before hand. I wonder if at the point he wrote about the boots he had a different idea of the details of Callahan's translocation* between worlds and the boots were missed in the edit.

*My browser spellchecker complains at the spelling of this word without providing an alternate (except other words). I'm sure 'translocation' is a word right? If not, I'm sure you know what I mean.

MPatrick
11-19-2009, 01:45 PM

Possibly. My point really was that he is a recovering alcoholic and cider (be it graf or not) is alcoholic. Of course it might be possible that certain drinks are less, erm, moreish for alcoholics, kind of like how drug addicts become addicted to a specific type of drug. I don't think it's the case with drinks though as the drug is the same in all of them; alcohol.

Anyhow not a big deal. Seems ages ago that I made that post. Curiously, I was just thinking again about the boots/clothing discrepancy the other day too. I know King tends to write his books in the same order in which we read them with little in way of plot design before hand. I wonder if at the point he wrote about the boots he had a different idea of the details of Callahan's translocation* between worlds and the boots were missed in the edit.

*My browser spellchecker complains at the spelling of this word without providing an alternate (except other words). I'm sure 'translocation' is a word right? If not, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I know it's not a big deal or anything, but I think the confusion might be that he makes a grimace at one point towards the end, as if he were drinking whisky. Pretty sure it was just apple cider, which is not always alcoholic. There is hard cider and then the stuff they serve to children. I thought the point that he hadn't had a drink since coming to the Calla was stated, but I could be wrong about that, and mixing it up with my own perception of it.

I'm curious about the boots too! I have to check that other thread out. I wonder if you are on to something about it being missed in an edit.

Fear not the spellcheck:

Main Entry: trans-lo-ca-tion
Function: noun

"The act, process, or an instance of changing location or position."

Sickrose
12-21-2009, 12:05 AM
i have just re-read the Pere's story and have enjoyed it more the second time round. When I first read it I loved to see the Pere again and see what happended after he left the Lot and since Salems Lot is one of my favs it was all good.

My fav bits are the highways in hiding - I could almost hear their call myself heheh But it's so sad as well with what happens to Lupe and Rowan etc Then with him waking up at the Way station - that was cool.

I don't think it was too long it was an interesting diversion and I have always liked King's backstories for characters in books and this is just another example of that.

dsimp13
10-21-2011, 07:19 PM
One thing about Callahan's story (and subsequently future events) revolves around Tower and Deepneau saving Callahan. I was confused the first time, then thought i missed something, read back, and still don't know...how can Jake immediately say "Oh, Tower and Deepneau?" The only sort of evidence I can see is the ring, but when asked by Eddie, Tower says he has no idea. Is it just one of those times that Jake doesn't know why he knows, but he knows? Or am I missing something?

SalSolomon
10-28-2011, 05:25 AM
I'd like to read more about what Tower, Deepneau, Cullum, and Carver get up to. How do they get started? What kinds of tricks do they pull on North Central and Sombra?

mtdman
04-29-2012, 10:49 PM
What I don't like about Callahan's story: Why's he gotta be gay? That part pretty much offended me, as a catholic.

Brice
04-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Do you really imagine there aren't gay preachers? Catholic or otherwise? How can you be offended by it? There are people of all sorts why shouldn't there be characters of all sorts?

Jean
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
As a Catholic, I am not offended. Nor am I offended as a male, a bear, a straight, a Russian, a married man etc.

Empath of the White
04-30-2012, 11:22 AM
I've got a paperback of Wizard and Glass from Signet (purplish cover with Maerlyn's Grapefruit of Lookout's skull), and there's an afterword that mentions Callahan showing up in the series. Does anyone know if that was in the original release of the novel?

Brice
04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
I believe the original Grant edition had an afterward that mentioned that too. I'm not absolutely certain right now though.