PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Issues?

VonStreff
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I am planning to create concept art of the Dark Tower series for my degree project in Uni. It wouldn't be sold or anything like that, and all the credit would be given to Stephen King. Is there any problem with this? Is there a site which gives info on copyright for artwork based on written works? Thanks!

Merlin1958
07-23-2012, 04:35 PM
As far as I know, art is "Conceptual" so as long as you don't tread on any authorized works you are the copyright holder. so to speak.

Lurker
07-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Under US law, the creator of an original piece of work is the copyright holder and your example would not be infringing the copyright on the the books. Also, book titles are not copyright protected, although in some instances they may be trademarked.
As an example, I've always liked this painting based on the Glass Bead Game: http://www.numasters.com/artists/view_artwork.asp?item_id=1208

VonStreff
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Hmm, that sounds good. There is a ton of Dark Tower fan art already, so I don't see any problems... just my teacher (!)

Bev Vincent
07-24-2012, 02:15 AM
There's a lot of fan fiction out there, too, but that doesn't place it on the right side of copyright!

Has your teacher expressed reservations? If so, I'm not sure that I would turn to a message board for legal advice to assuage him or her. You might need a more authoritative source. Try posting a query at King's message board, explaining in complete detail what it is you plan to do. If you get a green light there, then you can be fairly confident that, whatever the technicalities of the law, you won't run into trouble. If you don't, however...

twice
09-17-2013, 10:16 PM
If there was an issue with copyright infringement Andy Warhol wouldn't have had a career.

Br!an
09-18-2013, 04:04 AM
Rachel Readman explained the concept rather well in a discussion on her thread.

What I took away from it is that you can't copy, but you are allowed artistic expression. The line between the two is a little blurry. It depends on how close you are to the original product (within 15% or so) and how protective the original copyright owner happens to be.

Artist-Rachel-Readman (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11647-Artist-Rachel-Readman&p=796556&viewfull=1#post796556)

Posting on the SK website is also a good idea. I won't provide actual permission, but their endorsement should ease your teacher's mind.

Br!an
09-18-2013, 04:15 AM
If there was an issue with copyright infringement Andy Warhol wouldn't have had a career.

He was sued for infringement. VonStreff probably would like to avoid that.

Also the copyright laws and their interpretation have become more stringent since the '60s.