PDA

View Full Version : My Stephen King Problem: A Snob’s Notes

mae
07-03-2012, 09:18 AM
http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?type=&id=737&fulltext=1&media=

IN THE MID-EIGHTIES, when I was living in New York, a friend, an editor at a major publishing house, told me that I should read Stephen King. This friend, a guy who loved Pynchon and Nabokov and Gass (and who, as an employee of a conglomerate-owned publishing house, knew that, as a practical matter, in order to sell his bosses on the high-modernist novels he so admired, he also had to publish surefire moneymakers), said that King was good. As I recall, my friend didn’t qualify the “good” by saying that King was “really pretty good for a genre writer” or “good enough if you happen to be on a desert island with nothing else to read.” (One of my friend’s many charms is the degree of his enthusiasms, a quality surely appreciated by the first-rate writers he has edited over the years.) It’s possible that we’d both had too much bad beer to drink when the subject of King came up, and that my friend’s praise of a certain King novel — the one about a haunted Plymouth Fury? — was more nuanced than I was capable of grasping at that moment.

But my friend didn’t persuade me to drop whatever I was reading and head for the book rack down at the A&P (there actually was an A&P in my Westchester neighborhood, circa 1985) and spend $3.95 for a novel about a demonic beater. I didn’t read any of King’s fiction then or over the next twenty-five years. I did read — to make a clean breast of it — a King piece about Little League baseball that The New Yorker published in the early nineties. It annoyed me somewhat that The New Yorker, where I had once worked, had resorted to publishing celebrity millionaire writers, possibly in order to seem populist and with it, but the fact was that, at least based on this piece of nonfiction, King wrote pretty well, if no better than any number of nameless scribes who were also Little League dads.

So, why didn’t I read King’s fiction? Was I simply an elitist, anti-populist literary snob who felt he would be soiled by reading stuff that sold? I do have some snob in me — it’s my sense that a lot of the books read by practically nobody are often good, whereas a lot of the books read by millions are often crap — but the term doesn’t fully describe my resistance to King’s fiction.

During my college and graduate school years and then in my post-graduate working life, I’d read, in addition to much commercially successful literary fiction, a fair amount of genre fiction. I was mildly addicted to detective novels, though I was not the type to read them compulsively, filling a sitting room wicker basket with them, knocking off two or three Graftons or Parkers in the course of a rainy five-day stay on the coast of Maine. During a rainy five-day stay on the coast of Maine, I might read one Rendell or one P.D. James or one Leonard or one Sjowall & Wahloo. (Strangely enough, I’d developed my taste for crime fiction in college, when I took a course in twentieth century American literature that included two novels by Dashiell Hammett. This was a good two decades before it became hip to include genre writers in the American Lit syllabus.) I also read the occasional “international thriller” — John Le Carre, anyway — and I dabbled in science fiction, if Stanislaw Lem and Kurt Vonnegut and Margaret Atwood can be counted as science fiction writers. From all genre fiction (or literary fiction that happened to fall into a genre), I required some combination of wit and verbal ingenuity and emotional complexity and a more than perfunctory evocation of place (or period or social milieu) — more, in short, than the ability to construct a plot and make a story “move.” To make me care about “what happens next,” you first have to get me to care about what is happening now, on the page I’m reading.

One reason that I may have turned away from King’s fiction is that the genres (horror and fantasy) he worked in didn’t appeal to me. At an early age, I developed a fairly deep fear of scary stories and movies — this was no doubt partly the result of my mother taking me to see Psycho when I was nine; I still don’t plan on watching the four-fifths of that movie that I didn’t see when my mother and I and my friend Robin (who probably wanted to stay) walked out of the Uptown Theater in Louisville in 1960 — and I was, from an even earlier age, more interested in dog stories and the biographies of sports stars and Civil War generals than I was in the giants and trolls of fantastic fiction. When I read comic books, they were more likely to be the ones about Archie and Veronica than those about the gifted caped-and-body-stockinged figures that boys with bristly imaginations were supposed to gobble up.

But this aversion to horror fiction wasn’t the only thing that kept me from King’s work. No, for I’d informally decided sometime around my fiftieth birthday that ninety-nine percent of my fiction reading (and I was at a point in my life where I was calculating how many books I was going to be able to read before I came down with dementia or died) would be devoted to certifiably literary fiction (by both the dead and the living, and including dead and living writers of certifiably literary genre novels) and books by friends and acquaintances. I would keep my raffine literary nose out of books of pulp.

And, anyway, Stephen King didn’t need me to buy his books or even to read them, as did, perhaps, some of my scuffling writer friends. He was doing fine, turning out a book a year up there in Maine, hauling the proceeds to the bank in steamer trunks.

Around the turn of the century, I became aware of the fact that King had complained — or was it his publicists and friends who had complained on his behalf? — that he got little respect in the literary world, the world where ninety-eight percent of fiction writers don’t come close to making (if averaged annually, over the course of a thirty or forty year career) a poverty-level living from their work but where prizes and the occasional stipend are handed out. Just because King wrote genre fiction, the argument went, didn’t mean that his novels and stories didn’t have literary merit. Look at the horror stories of Edgar Allan Poe, it was said. Poe was an American classic, and so, his new literary friends seemed to suggest, was King. In 2000, the New York Times Magazine published a long, admiring article about King in which the reporter, Stephen J. Dubner, who would later write (with Steven Levitt) the best-selling Freakonomics, made a pitch for King’s literary merit. (Cynthia Ozick, a tough critic who has written some brilliant fiction, was quoted somewhat in support of Dubner’s opinion, though she hedged her praise with comments about what King’s fiction wasn’t.) In 2003, the National Book Foundation gave King its annual medal for distinguished contribution to American letters. Previous recipients of the medal included John Updike, Philip Roth, and Toni Morrison.

This promotional campaign, if that’s what it was, only hardened me further against reading King — and this despite the fact that King, or so I heard, was a nice guy, funny, liberal-minded, generous to other writers, a giver to good causes. The New Yorker, a King booster, published seven of his stories between 1994 and 2009, but I didn’t read any of them. I stuck to my snobbery.

And then one day King came up in the course of a discussion my wife and I had about my own writing — which she found to be a little dark and not really, if I understood her, something she wished to curl up with at night. I agreed that it was a little dark, and I also said that I probably (and probably wrongly) didn’t give enough credence to the idea that people (or my characters) could change or become better. We talked about why people read the fiction they read. My wife, who works in the medical field, made the perfectly valid point that not everybody reads fiction for the reasons I read it. (Among the things I hope for when I open a book of fiction is that each sentence I read will be right and true and beautiful, that the particular music of those sentences will bring me a pleasure I wouldn’t be able to find the exact equivalent of in another writer, that I will be continually surprised by what a particular writer reveals about particular human beings and the world they inhabit. A great book of fiction will lead me toward some fresh understanding of humanity, and toward joy.) My wife felt it was wrong to stand in judgment of people who read fiction in order to escape from life, and I said she was right: I didn’t feel morally superior because I read John Cheever or David Foster Wallace or William Styron or Zadie Smith or Mary Lee Settle instead of Stephen King.

I did feel, however, that I demanded something different (something more?) from a novel than I guessed most of the readers of Stephen King did. (Not that this made me morally superior, just more demanding, a high-maintenance reader.) Though of course I’d never read a King novel (or story), so maybe I was wrong.

That night in bed, I read a novel called Birds of Paradise (2011), by a friend named Diana Abu-Jaber. Set in south Florida just prior to the Great Recession, the novel’s prose is rich and lush, its characters are complicated in the way all humans are, and its story (about a teenaged girl who has abandoned her family for the wild side) is propulsive. Was it possible that Stephen King was as good as Diana Abu-Jaber, a writer hardly known beyond the ghetto that American literary fiction seems to have become?

I slept fitfully that night, dreamed a recurrent dream about a car repair shop whose employees were straight out of some noir pulp novel and to whom I seemed to be forever indebted, due to bad driving habits or moral failings. And then one weirdly warm January day in Wisconsin, I found myself in the King section of a bookstore, where a good twenty-five of his fifty or so books were on display. I picked the one that I thought my New York editor friend had recommended twenty-five years ago, the one about the demonic car.

I promised myself that I would read Christine — that’s the unlikely name of the beaten-up 1958 Plymouth that a pimply, nerdy, bullied kid named Arnie buys — with an open mind, not failing to consider King’s intentions, not blaming him for not attempting (if this turned out to be the case) what I might wish he had attempted. The worst book reviewers, as John Updike noted, often blame writers for failing to write the novels that the reviewers believe the writers should have attempted rather than the ones that actually lie between the covers.

After reading the first sixty-five pages of Christine, I thought that if King had intended to write a literary novel, he was failing. The two main characters, Arnie and his good-hearted pal the narrator, were blandly predictable; the minor characters all seemed to be cut from the same generic cloth (one side labeled “Nice Person,” the other labeled “Creep/Meanie”); each high-pitched melodramatic scene resembled the previous high-pitched melodramatic scene in tone and structure; the observations about life in a western Pennsylvania town in the late seventies were unremarkable (as compared to, say, the meticulously observed, lovingly detailed eastern Pennsylvania suburban landscape in Updike’s Rabbit novels); and the prose was consistently dull (the narrator’s attempts at snappy cleverness or humor rarely succeeding). Most surprisingly, the book moved at a slug’s pace. At the very least, I thought, a genre writer as good as King would keep the scenery flying by the window. But he lingered over scenes, drew them out way past where there was anything further to reveal, as if (perhaps: I couldn’t be entirely sure) King believed he was writing something classier than a pulp novel.

I read another fifty pages. The story gathered a little momentum, while at the same time the cheesiness increased. I thought this might be a good sign: perhaps King was no longer going to pretend that he was writing anything other than a horror novel that had a “story” to animate it.

Why, I wondered, had my editor friend fallen for this not very good novel? Or — whoops — had it been some other King novel that he’d recommended? I wrote to him and asked if I’d remembered the wrong book. He said he hadn’t ever read Christine, though he had seen the movie, and that the only King book he’d read (besides one submitted to him in manuscript) was Pet Sematary, (also published in 1983, a mere seven months after Christine), which someone had given to him when he was in the hospital in 1985 recovering from knee surgery. He recalled being “excited” by Pet Sematary, and also said that the King manuscript he’d seen was “pretty good."

In an introduction to the 2001 paperback edition of Pet Sematary, King says that it is “the most frightening book I’ve ever written” and that when he reread the book (six weeks after writing it), he “found the result so startling and so gruesome that [he] put the book in a drawer, thinking it would never be published.” Of course, by then (the early eighties), King was among the most successful writers of commercial fiction in America, and the notion that no publisher would touch what King himself clearly had a high regard for was absurd.

If the introduction suffers from the self-regard of a writer pondering his greatest hits, the novel itself is a step up from Christine. Which is to say that while there is little that is distinctive about King’s writing — and while the exposition (often in the form of long, unlikely passages of dialogue) is clunky, and the characters are thin, sentimental figures who exist to be buffeted about in the storm of plot, and the so-called build-up of tension is more tedious than scary — this novel is more cleanly written than Christine. It is competently made, in a way that is workmanlike, if hardly fresh or exciting. And perhaps if you are lying on a hospital bed without anything to read, a little dizzy from pain meds, and if a friend brings you this book to pass the time with and if you are able to get past the first hundred pages (the pacing is, once again, off), you might have the kind of reading experience my editor friend had.

Serious, sensible critics sometimes come to the defense of schlocky, splashily violent blockbuster sorts of novels (and films) — the kind of “entertainment” that, as the film critic Pauline Kael put it, has “plenty of plot but no meanings” — on the theory that we all (even intellectuals who make their living writing criticism) need an escape from life (or from thinking). Much slack is cut for the somewhat better samples of schlock. (“If the story moves,” Arthur Krystal says in a recent New Yorker piece about genre fiction, we’ll forgive everything else that may be weak or bad.) It will even be said (if not by critics, then by the money behind the schlock) that some second-rate piece of writing (or moviemaking) has more “life” in it than any number of “ambitious” high-modernist books of fiction. This is absurd — as if “life” consisted of production values or hokey premises or unearned, happy endings — but for those of us who believe that we have developed antibodies to schlock, it is useful to remember that we may sometimes err on the other side, praising certain pieces of high-modernist writing that are actually boring. I remember recommending to others, thirty-five years ago, the early stories of Ann Beattie (published in the mid-seventies mostly by The New Yorker). They seemed, at least to a young wannabe writer, so smart and insightful, so tuned-in to the alienation of young people during that dope-smoking era, but when I reread them this winter, I had to wonder what I’d been thinking (or smoking). They were flat and drab. (Beattie’s later stories are much stronger; she got better.) We make mistakes, and we change, too, as readers, over time.

I thought I’d try another King novel, a later one, to see if his writing had changed over the years. I was avoiding, I admit, what was then King’s very latest, 11/22/63, in part because it is so long (more than 800 pages) and despite the praise it had received in, for instance, the New York Times Book Review (the editors decided it was one of the five best books of fiction of 2011) and The New Yorker (“a deeply felt and often well-realized work, which extends King’s dominion over fantasy to the terrain of the historical record,” Thomas Mallon wrote).

So I went to the library and took out The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999), which ran to a mere 220 pages. I liked the title — I am a baseball fan — though I wondered how many readers (diehard Red Sox fans aside) picking up the book in 2012 would recognize the name Tom Gordon (a.k.a. Flash Gordon, a relief pitcher who thrived in the nineties).

I wish I could report that by 1999 King’s fiction justified the claims that some of the literati were making for it. But The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is boring. (Dubner, in the New York Times Magazine, called it “beguiling.”) The writing is at times so weak — so pat, so lazy — that I no longer imagined that King was attempting anything other than getting his story from Point A to Point B, even if he was doing that none too quickly. At times, the novel read like not very good Y.A. fiction. I could imagine that a young reader might conceivably find the story — a nine-year-old girl lost in the Maine woods — compelling, but the pacing was, yet again, off. King’s woods were generic, and the little girl’s thoughts, feelings, and sensations, while sometimes plausible, lacked authenticity and singularity.

What is it about King’s writing that appeals to so many people? Clearly, King’s readers — many of whom seem to get hooked on him when they are adolescents — don’t care that the sentences he writes or the scenes he constructs are dull. There must be something in the narrative arc, or in the nature of King’s characters, that these readers can’t resist. My sense is that King appeals to the aggrieved adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adult, who believes that people can be divided into bad and good (the latter would, of course, include the aggrieved adolescent or adult), a reader who would rather not consider the proposition that we are all, each of us, nice good people awash in problems and entirely capable of evil. King coddles his readers, all nice, good, ordinary, likeable people (just like the heroes of his books), though this doesn’t completely explain why these readers are so tolerant of the bloat in these novels, why they will let King go on for a couple hundred pages about some matter that has no vital connection to the subject of the book.

This is what happens in 11/22/63, which I finally gave in to, after much hand-wringing about the time lost to the books piled on my night table. After all, the novel had received the highest praise from some of the more influential literary organs in America. Wasn’t it possible that the literary press had gotten it right this time?

It was possible, but they got it wrong.

The hero of 11/22/63 is a high school English teacher named Jake Epping. (When it comes to writing, Jake, one of King’s regular-Joe white knights, prefers a supposedly heartfelt but clumsily written story by a janitor getting a GED degree — the story makes Jake cry and he gives it an A-plus — to the “boring” and “pursey-mouthed” essays by his honors students. King doesn’t show us a sample of the latter, but when he does finally get around to sharing a substantial piece of the janitor’s story, you can’t help but wonder about Jake’s (and King’s) judgment. King’s real purpose here seems to be to suggest that people like him write with a lot of feeling, while so-called literary people don’t, and that it is the “what,” rather than the “how,” that matters in writing. Jake, who seems to have no serious flaws other than to have once been married to an alcoholic (later described as a “sweet” person underneath it all), is persuaded by the proprietor of a diner to walk through the diner’s pantry into the past — the diner owner, Al, who is dying of cancer, has, for whatever reason, access to a time-travel tunnel. Al wants Jake to correct the past, and specifically to intervene in the 1963 assassination of President Kennedy. Jake, humbly demurring, says, “Al. . . man . . . I’m just a little guy.”

King is not one for starting a novel in medias res. It takes his hero 275 pages to get to Dallas and over 500 pages to get into 1963. Much of the first third of the novel involves Jake trying to alter a bit of local Maine history in 1958, in particular, the past of that high school janitor, whose family was victimized by an evil sledgehammer-wielding father and who, fifty-three years later, endures the taunts of bullying kids. Jake regards this initial foray into the past as a warm-up, or “test case,” before tackling Lee Harvey Oswald and a watershed moment in history.

The first 300 pages are competently written — workmanlike — but they are plodding, too. The characters are tinny and flat, and the period detail is slathered thickly on, as if to hide some vacancy. King has a tendency to explain what has been implied or shown, and the tediousness of much of his narrative (certain “action” scenes aside) seems to be partly the result of his thinking that every single moment of his hero’s day (trips to the bathroom, trips to the fridge, trips out the apartment door, comments made to a bus driver, comments made to a cat) are necessary or even interesting. (Is this hubris, or did King, now over fifty books into a career, miss the part in the manual about less sometimes being more?) There are moments, to be fair, when King shows us some piece of Maine landscape or townscape, circa 1958, that has the ring of truth in it, even moments (though they are few and far between) when a sentence has a little pop. But the chief problem with this 300 page prelude is that it has no necessary or organic connection with the next five hundred pages. Jake’s “test case” could be read as King’s first (and only?) draft, in which the author gets the hang of time travel and then comes to believe that those of us who had been expecting a novel about the Kennedy assassination will put up with this trial run (which the narrator will, during his Dallas years, “novelize.” A piece of it is read and praised by a crusty Dallas librarian, who nonetheless advises Jake to put the novel aside and stick to doing all those “amazing and wonderful” things he does for frightened student thespians and so many other nerdy folks). There’s no good reason that King couldn’t have cut a third of this novel, or at least squeezed the chapters about 1958 down to a fifth of their length.

Why, I wondered again, do some people in the literary business regard this extremely successful writer of genre fiction as a first-rate writer of literary fiction, a “major” contributor to American literary culture? How is it possible that a novel as bloated and mediocre as 11/22/63 is can be deemed by the New York Times Book Review as one of the five best books of fiction of the year? Do we fear being labeled “elitist” or “liberal” if we don’t reward commercial success in other ways (as if an enormous advance and a river of royalties are not reward enough)? Or do we believe that commercial success on the King scale signifies, almost by definition, quality, the way a 20,000 square-foot house supposedly signifies to passersby that the owners must be important?

But it’s not all about “market” economics, is it? The fact that King is both apparently a regular guy and a liberal must have made it easier for the literary establishment to give him a seat up there on the podium. It’s hard to imagine that an avowedly right-wing writer of thrillers that sell in the millions would get similar treatment, though the sales numbers probably wouldn’t hurt. How often, to change the subject slightly, do you hear voters say they voted for someone because he seemed like the sort of person you could have a beer with? (You could have a beer with King probably, and he’d probably be good company, but King would be drinking something nonalcoholic; he gave up alcohol some years ago.) That’s a pretty dumb reason for voting for someone (almost as dumb as voting for someone because, like George W. Bush, he no longer drinks), but, to get back to the praise that has been showered on King, the literary business is not all that different from any other business in which politics or cronyism sometimes plays a role.

In his long New Yorker article about genre fiction, Arthur Krystal devotes a paragraph to King’s entry into the lit world (after “having mastered the horror genre”) and manages to make Harold Bloom’s denunciation of the National Book Foundation’s 2003 award to King look ill-tempered, cranky, and elitist. “In short, Bloom was annoyed that King had become a dude of literature.” Krystal seems to regard King as a good enough “guilty pleasure,” though he cites nothing specific about King’s writing (other than the fact that a literary magazine and The New Yorker have given him space) that might persuade a reader that the praise of his work by the literary establishment is in any way justified.

By bestowing rewards on writing that is not all that good, has not the literary establishment lowered standards and pushed even further to the margins writing that is actually good and beautiful? If you ask me whether it is worth your while to read Stephen King instead of (or even in addition to) scores of other better contemporary writers you may have never read (and should hurry up and read before you die), I would say no, unless you are maybe fifteen and have made it clear to your teachers and everybody else that you aren’t going to touch that literary “David Copperfield kind of crap” with a ten-foot pole.

My son, George, who is now twenty-four, read a little King in high school, but he hasn’t gone back to him since then. After you’ve read Roberto Bolaño and Denis Johnson and David Foster Wallace and Thomas Pynchon, as my son has, why would you return to Stephen King? King may be an adequate enough escape from life, if that’s all you require from a book of fiction, but his work (or what I’ve read of it) is a far cry from literature, which, at its best, is, sentence by sentence, a revelation about life.

Randall Flagg
07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
He certainly suffers from the same lengthy writing style that he dislikes in SK.

Brice
07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
I posted my response to Mr. Allen there. :)

you ever seen a ghost?
07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
i dunno. it's a well-written article with thoughtful criticisms. i don't really feel the need to bash the guy.

-justin

Randall Flagg
07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
I am not bashing him. I just thought the article though well though out and presented was a bit long winded.

Brice
07-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Hi Justin,

I wasn't really bashing the guy. My response would have been much harsher if I was. I was playing nice. :)

The problem is for me at least it really doesn't sound like he read with an open mind at all. I got the impression he'd already decided how he felt about King's writing and set about to prove his point. Besides one cannot prove a writer great (or bad for that matter) based on a reading of two books...unless they're just ridiculously bad books.

Also I felt he could have and should have left out the stuff about himself and focused more on King's writing in presenting his case.

Jean
07-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I have commented there too. Here's my comment:

A ridiculously pompous and self-indulgent article; could be summed up as: "I have impeccable taste in literature and believe it's time the world admired it."

Much of Mr.Allen says is witty (I am not a big fan of 11/22/63 myself) and might even seem right but for one important thing, namely, that it is all largely beside the point.

What if the purpose of literature doesn't consist in constructing perfect sentences? What if it consists in making the reader's soul work?

That's what King's novels do.

Thank you.

mae
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
The comments there are also a fun read. I can, somewhat, see where this guy was coming from regarding King's writing style, but he's still way off. Plus, there's no sense comparing King to Pynchon. Apples and oranges.

blavigne
07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I have commented there too. Here's my comment:

A ridiculously pompous and self-indulgent article; could be summed up as: "I have impeccable taste in literature and believe it's time the world admired it."

Much of Mr.Allen says is witty (I am not a big fan of 11/22/63 myself) and might even seem right but for one important thing, namely, that it is all largely beside the point.

What if the purpose of literature doesn't consist in constructing perfect sentences? What if it consists in making the reader's soul work?

That's what King's novel do.

Thank you.

Perfection Bears as always, you took the words right out of my head and made them pretty :)

you ever seen a ghost?
07-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Brice, i wasn't talking about you. really more about some of the comments. i mean, i've written several books about King and i love him, but he isn't even my favorite writer. i'm really into Cormac McCarthy, William Faulkner, Franz Kafka, Ernest Hemingway and that sort of thing. as much as i love King's novels, stuff like that does more for me emotionally. i did read one Pynchon novel (The Crying of Lot 49) and while i feel like i "got" what he was saying, the character names and "hey, look what i'm doing!" references and stuff like that was just too much for me to stomach. i think David Foster Wallace is the same way. i guess i'm not much for these newer post-modernists. one can argue that all of the authors i mentioned are post-modernists, but if you read Pynchon or Wallace, you'll see what i'm talking about.

eta: thinking about it, i want to go so far as to say his pompous "these are the people i read and they are better than King" attitude is a bit much, but you know what, i'm thinking i could be accused of that as well (and probably a lot of you here). King is definitely the most "literary" of the major bestselling authors, but can you say you haven't done the same thing in looking down your nose at, say Grisham or Crichton (terrible writer) or Danielle Steel? i know i have. i think it's just a matter of context.

-justin

mae
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Justin, I too read a lot of the literary writers mentioned, Faulkner, Roth, Updike, Hemingway, McCarthy, Bolaño, Pynchon, etc. And King. The funny thing is, why can't you read both types? That's what the guy doesn't seem to grasp. Also, speaking of Bolaño, King picked his novel 2666 as one of his best of 2009:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20331130,00.html

5. 2666, Roberto Bolaño
This surreal novel can't be described; it has to be experienced in all its crazed glory. Suffice it to say it concerns what may be the most horrifying real-life mass-murder spree of all time: as many as 400 women killed in the vicinity of Juárez, Mexico. Given this as a backdrop, the late Bolaño paints a mural of a poverty-stricken society that appears to be eating itself alive. And who cares? Nobody, it seems.

Plus, of course, we know King is a huge Faulkner fan.

Merlin1958
07-03-2012, 07:04 PM
It's funny in that Dickens & Shakespeare were considred "Pulp writers" in their day and now guys like Allen revere them. I love reading just about every King novel he ever wrote (except for "Faithful") and to me that's all that counts in the end. Does he have a few issues? Sure, but overall who cares? So does every writer. In the end he has kept reading in the forefront for a mass of folks and nothing can be wrong with that IMHO.

Ben Mears
07-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Music, art, writing; it's all subjective. What moves one person may have no impact on another. As a professional writer the author of the article clearly has different expectations for the books he reads than the average person. If lyrical prose and perfectly constructed sentences float his boat, then good for him. SK has always admitted that he is the literary equivalent of a Big Mac & fries; this guy seems the type that would prefer the literary equivalent a high end meal all delicately arranged on a plate so he could prattle on about how exquisite it all looks.

Jean
07-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Barbara: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

MSK has always admitted that he is the literary equivalent of a Big Mac & fries; this guy seems the type that would prefer the literary equivalent a high end meal all delicately arranged on a plate so he could prattle on about how exquisite it all looks.King has always tasted like bread, meat and water to me rather than Big Mac and fries.

as far as that piece of self-indulgence we're discussing, I find this comment perfect:

Why did you think an article detailing the ways in which you feel superior to everybody and have better taste than 'the masses' would be worth our time?

blavigne
07-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Why did you think an article detailing the ways in which you feel superior to everybody and have better taste than 'the masses' would be worth our time? [/QUOTE]

Now that's a really well written sentence. :)

mae
07-04-2012, 07:45 PM
So what would you guys and gals say are King's most "literary" books? I'd probably go with Different Seasons, The Green Mile, Bag of Bones, The Dead Zone, Misery...

jhanic
07-05-2012, 04:08 AM
The Shining, for sure.

John

you ever seen a ghost?
07-05-2012, 05:28 AM
i'd say Bag of Bones, Lisey's Story, The Shining and a lot of his more recent short fiction, particularly in Everything's Eventual.

-justin

mae
07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
http://www.salon.com/2012/07/06/stephen_king_you_can_be_popular_and_good/

Look, is there any easier target than Stephen King, the self-proclaimed “Literary Big Mac” of American popular fiction?

As I read Dwight Allen’s piece “My Stephen King Problem,” my personal bat signal went off when I came across the reader comment that “this is the most rambling, dull, unfocused and self-absorbed piece I’ve ever read in Salon.” Hey, I thought, some guy is stealing my act! And then, suitably outraged, I read the article. Which brings up an entirely different kind of outrage.

How shall I put this diplomatically?

Allen’s article isn’t just a bile-drenched, meandering hatchet job, it is a hatchet job with a rusty, dull blade, devoid of insight into anything other than the insecurities of its writer.

It’s hard to understand why someone would want to write a 4,500-word essay about an author’s life work and then boast about how unacquainted you are with the details of that work. It’s clearly the idea of Stephen King that gets under Allen’s skin. A writer who has never condescended to his audience, who literally lived in a garret (OK, trailer) suffering for his art, and then hit it big in ways that Allen can only dream. And now, and this is what really drives Allen crazy, King is being recognized for the vitality and enduring literary quality of his work, by fellow snobs who Allen thinks should know better. This is clearly not fair. It’s one thing to be a rich writer, but, an acclaimed one? Perish the thought.

When I think of vengeful wannabes like Allen, I recall that Matt Groening cartoon in his much-missed series Life in Hell. Here, an overeducated loser sits on a couch watching “Jeopardy.” The answer is “Fred Flintstone’s signature phrase” and the contestant answers something like “bibbedy-bobbity-boo.” The guy on the couch says, “It’s yabba-dabba-do! Those prizes are rightfully MINE!!!”

To Allen, Stephen King’s career is rightfully his. Who is Allen really thinking of when he states that “King appeals to the aggrieved adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adult?” An aggrieved, nerdy adult who writes 4,500 words on an author he claims is not worth reading? That career is rightfully mine, one imagines Allen sneering, when confronted with another stack of King paperbacks, somehow misshelved in the “literature” section of his favorite independent (never chain) bookstore.

Now, there’s nothing wrong with being a literary snob. If, in fact, you have that literary part of the equation covered. The problem with this assessment of Stephen King is that it adds nothing to the ongoing debate of the literary merits of his work, or, the enduring discussion of art versus commerce. This all comes down to, how can anyone this popular be any good? Clearly, Allen is outraged that King isn’t using the employees entrance into the Temple of High Art. He rails against such former cultural gatekeepers as the New Yorker for publishing King’s short stories (which Allen has never read), the New York Times Book Review, for ranking King’s last novel, “11-22-63” (which I suspect Allen never finished), among 2011′s five best. Last, but very much not least, he calls out the National Book Foundation for having the gall to give King an award for literary excellence in 2003.

Over and over, Allen proudly proclaims how he has avoided reading any of King’s work. Thank God for that. For when he finally settles on his first actual target, King’s 1983 “Plymouth Fury From Hell” opus “Christine,” well, that’s where the old quote comes in. “It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” All that needs to be said here is that according to Dwight Allen, King is no John Updike. Thanks for pointing that out. That “Witches of Eastwick” movie had me all confused.

After muttering about those “steamer trunks” full of ill-gotten loot King has made (not earned), Allen then moves on to dismissing a random assortment of King’s books, chosen for no discernible reason than, well, whatever. Here, we are treated to an acid assessment of “Christine,” “Pet Sematary” and “The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.” Oddly, this is where I almost had some sympathy with the reviewer. These three books are far from “A”-level King, and, if I were a cynic, I’d think that was why Allen chose those particular three to write about.

Throughout his screed, Allen seems resentful that King continually attempts to reach above his station, and stretch beyond the cage of his genre. But King has consistently fought against the boundaries of “horror” fiction and his publisher’s expectations. The reason he still writes “Stephen King Books” is, well, he is Stephen King. It’s what he wants to write. And if “Stephen King” can’t write the books he wants, well, let me introduce you to a guy named “Richard Bachman.”

Finally, Allen does manage to tug at the root of his discontent when gets to King’s last novel, “11-22-63.” In his flick of the wrist dismissal, he writes that King “seems to suggest that people like him write with a lot of feeling, while so-called literary people don’t, and that it is the “what,” rather than the “how,” that matters in writing.” Uh, precisely. And to adopt the Dwight Allen school of literary criticism, I have (not proudly) not read any works from some of the names he has so carefully dropped, Roberto Bolaño, Denis Johnson or his “friend” Diana Abu-Jaber. But then, I don’t plan to review them, either. But now, my instinct says, “run.” I don’t need any “how-to” guides to abstract literary excellence. Sorry, worthy authors. You need to find some better fans, or, friend.

To be clear. This particular “aggrieved, nerdy adult” found “11-22-63” riveting from just about page one, let alone 300. It was precisely the slow accumulation of details and scenes that Allen decries that brought the book to that boiling level of hallucination that actually did somehow transport me, and apparently, those mooks at the New York Times Book Review, to Dallas in 1963. As a JFK assassination buff, and documentarian on same, I thought I had been there (I have) and seen that (I have). The best thing I can say about “11-22-63,” and Stephen King as a writer, is that if you want to find out why we nerdy fans fuss over him so much, you can begin here. And, at this juncture, here is where I can make a pretty good argument as to why Stephen King should continue to be allowed into the main entrance. And that is when I try to come up with King books or stories that Allen should have read, before trying to set this straw man on fire with his woefully wet matches.

Is it his magnum opus and fan favorite “The Stand”? “The Shining”? The novella “Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption”? “The Green Mile,” as fine a work of serialized fiction since the heyday of Charles Dickens? “Salem’s Lot,” which may contain some of King’s finest descriptive writing? The chilling New Yorker short story “The Man in the Black Suit,” which those other mooks behind the O. Henry Award said was the best story of 1996? The fact that countless readers will endlessly debate over their favorite “essential” King stories is obviously not proof that King is a literary giant. But it does make a claim that he is a great storyteller, with work worthy of more than a drive-by shooting by a lazy marksman.

Kurt Vonnegut, another easily dismissed (and name-checked by Allen) writer of genre fiction, once made an observation on a writer who, unlike Stephen King, never did quite get the respect he deserved from the literary gatekeepers. And that was the great John D. MacDonald, a writer whom King and other hugely popular writers have praised and referenced in countless ways. Vonnegut wrote that “to diggers a thousand years from now, the works of John D. MacDonald would be a treasure on the order of the tomb of Tutankhamen.”

Stephen King has written a series of treasures that will endure the slings, arrows and rusty hatchets of envious writers whose faces are bitterly pressed against the glass of that Cultural Temple. You ain’t getting in, and Stephen King already has a far beyond-his-lifetime membership.

Jean
07-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Superb. Thank you pablo, made bears' day!

Randall Flagg
07-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Magnificent. Thanks for finding it.

mae
07-08-2012, 07:39 AM
A lot of the anti-King comments (of which there are few) at the original article, and its repost at Salon and the subsequent rebuttal article mention King's frustration with the literary establishment for not being taken seriously as a man of letters. To my recollection he's never said anything of the sort, has he? At least nothing like "Where's my Pulitzer, bitches?" In all the interviews and non-fiction pieces where King discusses his literary merit or place in history, he seems to be humble and ambivalent regarding his work's value and longevity. I believe he's even said that he doesn't think most of his stuff will be read a hundred years from now, but if anything will, it probably will be The Stand. That's the only thing I can think of that comes close to King bellyaching about not being labeled a "serious" writer.

biomieg
07-08-2012, 08:42 AM
I agree. And whenever he makes negative comments about other authors, or rather their works (which he doesn't do too often either, I think) he does not say that he is better himself.

mtdman
07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care what this jackhole thinks. I read Stephen King because I enjoy it. End of the story. Don't care much about literary reviews or critical opinion of his work. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of what King writes.

Merlin1958
07-12-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care what this jackhole thinks. I read Stephen King because I enjoy it. End of the story. Don't care much about literary reviews or critical opinion of his work. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of what King writes.

LOL Well said!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bev Vincent
07-18-2012, 07:40 AM
My friend (and awesome writer -- if you haven't read Audrey's Room, check it out), novelist Sarah Langan responds: Killing Our Monsters: On Stephen King’s Magic (http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?id=775&fulltext=1)

mae
07-18-2012, 08:04 AM
http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?id=775

READING DWIGHT ALLEN'S “My Stephen King Problem: A Snob’s Notes” was like wandering through that part of the mental institution where the inmates are wearing stethoscopes and calling themselves doctors. Smart readers, unite! Let us decry the naked Emperor called Stephen King, and restore our soiled integrity! Uh, okay. After that, can we all play Thundercats?

On a more serious note, I can understand Allen’s frustration. Literature no longer wields the same cultural currency it did fifty years ago. We’re not all talking about the latest Wharton, Updike, or Carver. The Pulitzer in fiction wasn’t even awarded this year (see Laura Miller’s explanation). As corporations bloat into obese, self-perpetuating monsters, our society has fractured into thousands of small, like-minded bubbles. We don’t consume art; we produce text messages. Everybody’s a star! Reality television has-beens, unite!

I think Allen blames King for what he represents: the blockbuster. Unlike most blockbuster authors (Patterson, Meyer), King commands esteem from the kinds of people who hand out awards. When most new writers can’t get a book published unless they have an agent in New York, and they can’t get an agent in New York unless their best friend is dating someone who once went to school with Nicole Aragi, that’s demoralizing. There’s only so much poop humor in Dreamcatcher that any starving artist can take.

Maybe society is to blame. You can earn an easy million on Wall Street, while your first published novel probably won’t pay a month’s Manhattan rent. But why attack Stephen King? Why not go after the majority, who don’t read at all? Then again, what’s with the picking? How does that help?

It’s a dead debate. Allen’s oppositions — workmanlike/artistic; literary/genre; educated/blue collar; New Yorker reader from Louisville/dumb fuck from Bangor — are contrived. They distract us from real issues by splitting groups that aren’t actually different, or at least not opposites. In other words, Margaret Atwood and George Orwell would have made a fantastic couple. Who knows, maybe Ronald Reagan and Hillary Clinton too.

And on to Stephen King, who deserves fairer treatment. It’s no secret that even the best of King’s novels could use an editor. Much of his fiction is long-winded and rife with sentimentality. As I’m reading him, I’m sometimes embarrassed for him. I mean, how about that ending to It where the hero saves his wife from catatonia by taking her on a magic bike ride? If you only saw the movie The Shining, you probably don’t know that Jack Torrance is prone to cheesy, dry-drunk weeping about the perfection of his only son Danny. King’s epic The Stand ends with God’s Hand coming down from heaven and setting off a nuclear weapon, killing all the bad guys. How silly, right? No wonder, as Allen says, “King appeals to the aggrieved adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adult, who believes that people can be divided into bad and good.”

Then why is King so popular? Is it, as Allen suggests, that we’re all just lemmings, following a forty-year trend? It’s not that crazy a suggestion. Take any book King’s written since he started publishing in 1974. It’s never the best book of the year, or even the best in its genre. But all his novels, even the stinkers, have resonance. By this I mean, his fiction isn’t just reflective of the current culture, it casts judgment. Innocent Carrie White wakes up with her period and telekinesis at the height of the women’s movement. No wonder everybody craps on her, and no wonder we’re delighted that she slaughters them all. In Cujo, the materialism of the 1980s American family tears itself apart from the inside, as represented by the family dog gone mad.

King marries this resonance with the same question that Dickens first addressed in David Copperfield: “Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.” Only in a King book, it’s put like this: “Are you going to man/woman up, and kill some monsters, or are you yellow?” In some King novels, the stakes are the soul of the individual — will Johnny assassinate the senator to save the world’s future (The Dead Zone)? In others, it’s the family unit: Will Wendy take responsibility, punch Jack in the face with a cleaver, and save her son (The Shining)? In others (The Stand, The Gunslinger Series, Running Man), he asks, Will we be the heroes of our societies, and start steering this ship in the right direction? Do we have the courage to save the world?

We live in cynical times. It’s cool to pretend that these questions are stupid, irrelevant — dishonest reductions of issues much more complex. As Allen says, “This is absurd — as if ‘life’ consisted of production values or hokey premises or unearned, happy endings.” In other words, King’s treatment of this subject is schlock. But really, aren’t these questions worth asking? Aren’t they the only questions worth asking?

No one except King challenges us so relentlessly, to be brave. To kill our monsters. That’s because he’s a believer — to him, it’s not schlock. And because he believes his own horseshit, we swallow it too. When we read his fiction, we think: I want to go kiss my spouse, hold my kids, thank God they’re healthy. I want to fix the things that are broken.

King’s impact isn’t just on the baby boomers either. I was born the year Carrie was published. People younger than me think of King as a peer. People twice my age do too. Why? Because he’s still resonant. Because he’s addressing our current culture, even as he forces it to examine the same questions of social and individual bravery. When I squirm with embarrassment over King’s cheesy afterwords, certain I’m too cool to be the Constant Reader he’s referring to, I’m doing it because there’s a friction happening. It’s in this friction where King’s magic lives. I know his sentimentality is bullshit — we can’t save the world. Love doesn’t conquer all. Characters who say just the right thing at just the right time don’t exist. We can’t fight monsters with inhalers and silver dollars and win, goddammit! So I squirm, because even as my intellect rebels, a part of me believes. He got me.

A final note on King. We never forget his characters. They live, they breathe. Their thoughts are disturbingly familiar, especially the dark ones. They do the things we want to do, or they fail in ways we’ve failed and wish we hadn’t. At a time when reality television passes for entertainment, and big-butted rich girls who get married for seventy-two days are role models, it’s so nice to visit King’s world, where normal people get hosed, then try to do the right thing, or at least think about doing it. Where else should we look for our heroes, if not in fiction? Where are they right now? Silent, perhaps. Not as audacious as we’d hoped. King tells us we need to invent those heroes. We need to be them.

Plenty of writers write better (Nabokov, Egan) or offer greater inspiration (Atwood, Marquez). But do they consistently resonate? Do the best of their stories sing with such gorgeous prose as to make a reader blush with joy (see “The Little Sisters of Eluria” in Everything’s Eventual or the plague interludes in The Stand)? Take any Pulitzer winner. Pick through their entire corpus. You’ll find they’ve got a lot of clunkers, just like King. But few have amassed a forty-year body of work.

Fewer still have game. Pick up “Herman Wouk is Still Alive” in the Atlantic Monthly. The story is about two single mothers who’ve won a small amount of money in the lottery and decide to go on a road trip. We learn about their abusive childhoods, why they can’t make ends meet, how their dreams match up to the crappy lives they’re now living. We totally understand why they’re getting drunk while driving, and even why they hit their kids. But we judge them. They’re not us, after all. We’ll never be like them, though it’s fascinating to ride the hell-on-earth tour bus.

The moms’ story is interspersed with scenes featuring a couple of baby-boomer artists who meet at a highway roadside. We identify with them because they’re smart and funny and neurotic. They’d rescue a baby from a burning building, but they’d be pretty pissed off if a waiter forgot to put their balsamic dressing on the side. Like Herman Wouk, they’re old and too tired to have sex. They think the food at the faculty party they’re about to attend will be mediocre, and they’re sad that they turned out mediocre too. But there’s still time, right? Maybe they’ll get that Pulitzer yet. So they’re sitting there, preparing to go talk to the next generation about art, when our two single moms and their car full of kids crash onto the roadside. The kids and single moms die. Heads literally roll. The old farts cry and are sad. It’s utterly weird and believable. The end.

What’s this story about? It’s about us, as a culture, letting our young and best die while we sit idly by debating high art. It’s a screw you to the Altantic readers, the New Yorker readers, the people who lost sight of the dream, in the only language they might possibly understand, from the only venue they’re going to read. It’s about soul. Our American soul, perfectly expressed and challenged and loved by the American icon that is Stephen King.

http://bookriot.com/2012/07/13/should-you-feel-bad-about-reading-stephen-king/

Sometimes it’s interesting to watch a fight. That’s even more likely to be true if the fight is a literary one. A particularly interesting literary battle, one close to my own heart, has been playing out on the pages of the website Salon over the past couple days, and the author standing at the center of the controversy has become one of the most divisive figures in American publishing: Stephen King. How did someone so warmly received by the public, someone who is such a fixture of American book culture, come to be so controversial?

The name King is pretty much synonymous with American Horror Writing. He’s made millions off of his book and their film adaptations. He’s been published in such high-minded periodicals as The New Yorker and has garnered praise from The New York Times. He’s won acclaim from venerable literary organizations as well, like from the National Book Foundation in 2003. King is as much a staple of American culture as are non-human entities like Coke, The Loony Tunes, and Ford Trucks. You could say that he’s as American as apple pie. Or the electric chair.

But to some critics, that’s the problem. Or, to be more precise, many literary critics equate cultural ubiquity with lower standards. And in a general sense, they’re right. The whole point of creating literary standards is to separate the elite authors from the mediocre. Ignoring for the moment that every critic has their own standards, which always include their own biases, it’s easy to accept the concept that there are books that are literary and books that are entertainment. At their best, books are both of these things. But what seems to be left out of this overly simple demarcation are the demands of the reader. And in King’s world, the reader is, well…king.

Dwight Allen, originally writing in the L.A. Review of Books, takes King to task for not being up to snuff. Or, what he really does, is take his literary-minded friends to task for giving King more credit than Allen thinks he deserves. This all comes up in a conversation he has with his wife (not a critic, she works in the medical field), and they begin discussing why readers read the kind of fiction that they do. Allen generously (I’m not being sarcastic here) allows that what he’s looking for in a book might not be what everyone else is. He admits to being a “high-maintenance” reader and that he wants every sentence to be true and beautiful. He then goes on to recount his horrible experiences of trying to read King. So much cliché and trudging, he claims, and so boring.

Fair enough. Dwight Allen doesn’t enjoy reading Stephen King. But it was the end of the piece that struck me as a little cynical. When talking about the publishing business being just like any other business, biased towards market-driven value, fueled by politics, etc, Allen is basically making the impossible case that an infrastructure he feels lacks credibility is granting said credibility to an author that he doesn’t like. As the English used to say, it’s a bit of a bad show.

Things weren’t improved by Erik Nelson’s response on Salon. Nelson accuses Allen of a variety of thought crimes, including but not limited to: professional jealousy, snobbery, elitism, and ignorance. His tone is shrill and his metaphors are quite literally laughable (“…Allen should have read, before trying to set this straw man on fire with his woefully wet matches.” “…work worthy of more than a drive-by shooting by a lazy marksman.”). Most of Nelson’s criticisms were off-mark themselves. He never defends King’s work on any basis other than: 1) He enjoys reading it 2) Other people enjoy reading it 3) He is a JFK documentarian and can attest to the accuracy of King’s last novel, 11-22-63. I know I sound mean when I say this, but the kind of defense King should get from accusations of being a bad, stupid writer, probably shouldn’t come from one of the same. Because he’s not, and he deserves more than that.

In other words, I think both Allen and Nelson are wrong. Allen is wrong because he’s too vague in his criticism about the criteria he uses to judge the literary merit of King. Sentence by sentence, King may not be a David Foster Wallace. But as a storyteller, isn’t he one of the best? Don’t his trenchant social criticisms have literary value? And Nelson is wrong because he defends King using the same material that Allen uses to criticism him with. No, being popular does not make you good. Or at least that’s what a banner hanging in my sixth-grade classroom told me.

It seems like these semi-annual “should I feel bad about reading Stephen King?” battles are getting a bit out of hand. Snobs: your standards are not objective. King Defenders: don’t be so insecure. These arguments always seem to bring out the worst in people, because it really becomes a war about your identity as a reader. But who cares who considered which author to be what? Sit down and read and enjoy.

mae
07-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Hehe, Bev, I didn't even see your post with the link.

jhanic
07-18-2012, 09:50 AM
To both Bev and Pablo, thanks! Very informative!

John

mae
07-22-2012, 08:19 AM
http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?type=&id=784&fulltext=1&media=

MY MOST FORMATIVE childhood experience involved Stephen King, and in particular my dread fear of his book The Shining. I was four or five years old, I think, though it may have been earlier. I had never read the novel, nor seen the movie; I was terrified of the book itself, the physical object. My father had this bright, taxicab-yellow paperback, a movie tie-in edition with a few glossy stills from the Kubrick film in the middle. I remember my older brother asking him one day what it was about, and I remember my father saying something about it being about a family that gets snowed in one winter. But mostly I remember the utter, paralyzing terror that the book caused in me. The stark yellowness of its cover that fairly leapt off the bookshelf, the one film still of Jack Nicholson’s face through the splintered door, the impressionistic, harrowing child’s face that shimmered through the text on the front cover. I was unable to enter my father’s study from that point on, and I became equally terrified of our Men Without Hats album, the one with “Safety Dance” on it, simply because it was the same color yellow (I was a child of many fears). My brother used to place the book in his doorway when he wanted to keep me out of his room. On a couple of occasions, I seem to remember, he drove me completely out of the house with it.

I was also obsessed with it, obsessed with this thing that I knew had so much power over me. A few years later, I watched (again with my father) half of a movie adaptation of ‘Salem’s Lot, which reawakened that terror, and caused me nightmares for weeks. Who can say why, despite such a mortal dread, I found myself drawn to King’s writing a few years later? It’s hard to say, other than that at some point my curiosity outweighed me fear, and when I was about yen years old, I bought my first Stephen King novel, ‘Salem’s Lot. Expecting, perhaps, to hate it, or be terrified once again, instead a strange thing happened: I fell in love.

From ‘Salem’s Lot, I began devouring King’s work; within two years I had read literally everything he had published: 36 books (at that point), something like 160,000 pages of prose all told. I tracked down rarities like Cycle of the Werewolf, and paid $50 for a gift edition, slipcased copy of “My Pretty Pony,” a story that wouldn’t be published in a mass market collection for years. Some books, like The Stand and The Waste Lands, I read dozens of times. My mother bought me Stephen King trivia books when I’d exhausted his corpus, and I dragged my father to god-awful film adaptation after god-awful film adaptation (I feel particularly bad for Graveyard Shift and The Lawnmower Man). I remember reading The Dark Half with a flashlight under blankets in the middle of the day so that my quotidian suburban bedroom wouldn’t break the spell of the writing. I was crazy, goofy obsessed. I was did poorly in English because I couldn’t be bothered with Shakespeare or Dickens, but my English teacher also loved Stephen King, so whenever she hauled me up to reprimand me for not doing homework I’d desperately try to change the subject to why both of us thought that The Dead Zone was his least successful novel. For about four years, Stephen King was my life entire; it occurs to me now that despite my voracious reading I will go to my grave never having read as much work by any author as I read of Stephen King’s in junior high.

I was reading other horror writers by then as well — Dean Koontz, Peter Straub, Dan Simmons — but King was king, the one I returned to again and again. And it was King’s writing that drove me to start writing myself; during the first few years of high school I churned out several hundred pages of poor imitations that I foisted on patient friends. The likelihood that I will ever again write, let alone publish, horror fiction again is near zero percent, but I learned so much from those abortive early attempts — about rhythm and plot and pacing, as well as the discipline of the writing life. I owe some of that to Lovecraft, some to Poe, but most of it I owe to Stephen King.

But the thing about being a King completist was that as I gradually exhausted his oeuvre, I began to look elsewhere, and in the process began to take seriously all of his recommendations and all of his inspirations. I read Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend, Fritz Lieber’s You’re Not Alone, and a half dozen other science fiction and horror classics he cited. His nonfiction book on horror, Danse Macabre, led me to Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, and Robert Louis Stevenson — but it also led me to Shirley Jackson, whose Haunting of Hill House King endlessly praised and quoted. I read Robert Browning, because his poem “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came” had inspired King’s Dark Tower epic, and I read Ray Bradbury and Lord of the Flies and anything else that had his seal of approval. It was through Danse Macabre, as well as the various epigraphs in his books, in other words, that I moved from reading strictly genre to reading other literature. And this is why King matters to me still, because he encourages his readers, like me, to go beyond our comfort zones. He was unashamed to endlessly add to my reading list, to reveal his sources and inspirations and push his readers toward them with the same enthusiasm he’d had when he first read them. I spent years reading Wallace Stevens’ “Emperor of Ice Cream,” completely misunderstanding it but stubbornly persisting, all because a character in ‘Salem’s Lot mentions in passing that “it’s a poem about death,” and death was cool.

For me, King’s subtle encouragements to broaden my literary horizon worked too well; by my second year of high school, I suddenly stopped reading him. It was strange, like a light switch; I savored 1993’s Nightmares and Dreamscapes, allowing myself to read only a few stories each day so I wouldn’t finish it too quickly. But by the time Insomnia came out a year later, I couldn’t be bothered. By then, I was reading Eliot and Jackson and Browning and, soon enough, Marquez and Ondaatje. I tried to keep up with The Dark Tower when the fourth volume finally came out, but after eighty pages, I gave up.

Even then, though, I always steadfastly defended King, precisely because of how he taught me to be a reader — by which I mean ambitious, catholic and wide-ranging. He taught me to see the gothic tinges in Eliot’s modernist epic (“I will show you fear in a handful of dust” was a favorite line of mine in my high school black trenchcoat days) way before I was ready to understand its meaning and allusions. In the same way people now defend Oprah’s Book Club, I claimed that King had made thousands of casual readers into diehard literature fans, and that he was the single more powerful ambassador for the blurring of high and low, genre and literary, for recognizing their close kinship and their fidelity to each other.

And because of this, because of all the times I went to the mat for him over beers with literary friends and in the office of my creative writing teacher, I took it harder than most when King suddenly emerged, in 2003, as the standard bearer for aggrieved genre writers seeking literary establishment acceptance. That year, he was awarded the Medal of Distinguished Contribution of American Letters by the National Book Award (an award that had gone to Oprah Winfrey four years earlier), and in his acceptance speech, he berated those assembled for not taking genre seriously. “I salute the National Book Foundation Board, who took a huge risk in giving this award to a man many people see as a rich hack,” King said, barely concealing his resentment. “For far too long the so-called popular writers of this country and the so-called literary writers have stared at each other with animosity and a willful lack of understanding. This is the way it has always been. Witness my childish resentment of anyone who ever got a Guggenheim.” He went on to suggest that the Board’s decision that year “suggests that in the future things don't have to be the way they've always been. Bridges can be built between the so-called popular fiction and the so-called literary fiction.” But having said this, he immediately suggests why such a bridge will never be built with a strangely paranoid, accusatory rant:

There's a writer here tonight, my old friend and some time collaborator, Peter Straub. He's just published what may be the best book of his career. Lost Boy Lost Girl surely deserves your consideration for the NBA short list next year, if not the award itself. Have you read it? Have any of the judges read it? There's another writer here tonight who writes under the name of Jack Ketchum and he has also written what may be the best book of his career, a long novella called The Crossings. Have you read it? Have any of the judges read it? And yet Jack Ketchum's first novel, Off Season published in 1980, set off a furor in my supposed field, that of horror, that was unequaled until the advent of Clive Barker. It is not too much to say that these two gentlemen remade the face of American popular fiction and yet very few people here will have an idea of who I'm talking about or have read the work.

It’s an embarrassing speech, one that still makes me cringe reading it — not because there’s anything wrong with suggesting that Peter Straub has literary merit (Ghost Story alone attests to that), but because the speech is rambling, hectoring, belligerent. In repeating his shrill accusation, “Have you read it?”, he does not sound like the ambassador of genre fiction making the case to a literary fiction community. He sounds like a deranged crank.

But because of his stature, the speech also launched (or at least rekindled) the debate that we are still, nearly a decade later, still having, in the most shrill and uninteresting of terms, between the so-called literary and so-called genre fiction. The problem with this debate, as I see it, is that it almost never involves what does or doesn’t constitute literary merit. Rather, the debate inevitably dissolves into a weirdly forced identity politics: you’re either a Stephen King Reader or you’re not, and the two camps are mutually exclusive.

In his recent essay, “My Stephen King Problem: A Snob’s Notes,” Dwight Allen suggests that “King appeals to the aggrieved adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adult, who believes that people can be divided into bad and good (the latter would, of course, include the aggrieved adolescent or adult), a reader who would rather not consider the proposition that we are all, each of us, nice good people awash in problems and entirely capable of evil.” Liking King, in other words, indicates a character flaw, some basic human deficiency, a failure to mature. Any serious lover of literature, Allen concludes, has no business reading the man: “After you’ve read Roberto Bolaño and Denis Johnson and David Foster Wallace and Thomas Pynchon, as my son has, why would you return to Stephen King?”

In her rebuttal, Sarah Langan begins by trying to move beyond the either/or binary Allen sets out: “It’s a dead debate. Allen’s oppositions — workmanlike/artistic; literary/genre; educated/blue collar; New Yorker reader from Louisville/dumb fuck from Bangor — are contrived.” But Langan ends her piece discussing King’s Atlantic story, “Herman Wouk is Still Alive,” about a couple of literati whose vapid conversation is played off a tragic car wreck involving salt-of-the-earth types, and in the process, doubles down on that same debate, pitting herself and King against the literary snobs: “What’s this story about? It’s about us, as a culture, letting our young and best die while we sit idly by debating high art. It’s a screw you to the Atlantic readers, the New Yorker readers, the people who lost sight of the dream, in the only language they might possibly understand, from the only venue they’re going to read.” If you don’t read King, you must be a New Yorker reader, and Langan concludes that if so there must be something wrong with you — you’re a literary snob who deserves to be the one dying in that car wreck.

As should be obvious, both of these positions are untenable, nonsensical, and vile. To state that there are only two kinds of readers — Stephen King Reader or High-Brow Literati — is to deny the reading experience of most intelligent readers I know, who move seamlessly between The Stand and A Visit from the Goon Squad. Readers read for different reasons at different times, and rarely pick sides in the way that Allen and Langan demand that we do.

But it’s perhaps too easy to ignore this nuanced truth in favor of partisan bickering and false dichotomies, especially when this tone has been set by King himself, who’s spent the decade pumping up this debate, and which is one reason we argue about him, and not Danielle Steele or John Grisham. I find his part in it particularly tragic, because King of all people should know better. Because it was King — the other Stephen King, the one I grew up with — who first taught me that reading could be fluid and dynamic, that it wasn’t about a single writer but about a conversation spanning continents and decades, between high and low, literary and genre, positions that were constantly shifting, and who encouraged me to just shut up and read.

mae
07-24-2012, 07:25 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/07/a-defense-of-stephen-king-master-of-the-decisive-moment/260187/

Over at the Los Angeles Review of Books they're having an argument about Stephen King. Dwight Allen leads for the prosecution; Sarah Langan replies for the defense. Though like Langan I am absolute for acquittal, I want to defend King on other grounds than hers. Stephen King, like most of the greats of what tends to be called "genre fiction," is a writer of the "decisive moment."

Reading King, Dwight Allen sees none of the virtues that he most admires in fiction. King's characters are "blandly predictable," "cut from the same generic cloth," "thin, sentimental figures who exist to be buffeted about in the storm of plot"; the prose is "consistently dull," "so weak—so pat, so lazy." Allen places a particular value on beauty and precision of language: "Among the things I hope for when I open a book of fiction is that each sentence I read will be right and true and beautiful, that the particular music of those sentences will bring me a pleasure I wouldn't be able to find the exact equivalent of in another writer"—and he finds none of this in King's fiction.

These are plausible charges, though other parts of the essay make me think that Allen is just not going to give King a fair chance: He complains about Christine that "the observations about life in a western Pennsylvania town in the late seventies were unremarkable [as compared to, say, the meticulously observed, lovingly detailed eastern Pennsylvania suburban landscape in Updike's Rabbit novels]"; but then about 11/22/63 he complains that "the period detail is slathered thickly on, as if to hide some vacancy." So both the presence and absence of contextual detail are equally damning. This could of course be true, given that he's describing novels separated by decades of King's career, but it has a "Heads I win, tails you lose" ring to it.

In any event, Langan comes to King's defense by celebrating rather than damning King's way with characterization—"We never forget his characters. They live, they breathe"—and by arguing that the best of his work is "resonant," by which she means "It's about soul. Our American soul, perfectly expressed and challenged and loved by the American icon that is Stephen King."

But I don't think "resonance" is a sufficiently precise term to help us. All poems and stories and songs resonate with something—but not all resonate with the same things or in the same ways. Allen's love for the beautiful language he finds in literary fiction is important here, because often what such language does is to illuminate the everyday. Consider this luminous moment from Marilynne Robinson's Gilead:

As I was walking up to the church this morning, I passed that row of big oaks by the war memorial—if you remember them—and I thought of another morning, fall a year or two ago, when they were dropping their acorns thick as hail almost. There was all sorts of thrashing in the leaves and there were acorns hitting the pavement so hard they'd fly past my head. All this in the dark, of course. I remember a slice of moon, no more than that. It was a very clear night, or morning, very still, and then there was such energy in the things transpiring among those trees, like a storm, like travail. I stood there a little out of range, and I thought, It is all still new to me. I have lived my life on the prairie and a line of oak trees can still astonish me.

This is the kind of thing that, I take it, Dwight Allen loves, and I love it too: it shines a gracious and graceful light on the most ordinary of things, revealing to us the beauty that we rarely notice. Literary fiction does other things too, of course, but much of the best of it does this: It makes us see meaning, value, and loveliness—and sometimes emptiness and pain—in places where most of the time we don't see anything at all. Or we see but we don't truly perceive.

A writer like Stephen King, in contrast, is less interested in illuminating the everyday than in placing his characters in extraordinary and absolutely decisive moments. The beauty and value of the ordinary don't really apply when the family dog is going on a homicidal rampage. Or, to take a less caricatured example, we might consider the scene in The Stand when old Mother Abigail staggers back from a devastating but epiphanic experience in the wilderness to give to her followers a message from God -- and not just a message, but a command. Reactions to her announcement vary: some believe her wholly; some trust her but doubt the existence or the goodness of the God in whose name she speaks; some mistrust, resist, or even hate her. But though King registers these nuances of response, he also makes it clear that at this crux in the community's history—in human history—they don't matter much. Those to whom she has addressed her word of command must obey, or refuse. That is the choice facing them. Nothing else matters. Everything hangs on that decision.

What we call "genre fiction"—like Ursula LeGuin I think the term useless but can't quite get beyond it yet—tends to focus on moments like that. It strips away the usual and familiar contexts of our lives and replaces them with radically simplified environments: a small crew on a spaceship, a detective trying to stop a killer before he can reach another victim, a lawman in a Western town confronting a lawless gang, a superhero trying to track down a psychopathic criminal mastermind bent on destroying a whole city. It does this kind of thing in the belief, which is as fully justified as the belief that we lose sight of both the pain and the beauty of our daily lives, that such pared-down and dramatically focused moments are revelatory. They tell the characters who they really are, or what in the course of life they have become. We tend to identify with those characters and in so doing try to learn something about ourselves, by proxy if not directly.

It is often said that such situations are unrealistic. This is incorrect; it conflates the unrealistic with the uncommon. People do confront such utterly decisive moments: A theater full of people in Aurora, Colorado confronted one quite recently, and some of them had only an instant to decide whether to save their own lives or protect the ones they loved. It doesn't get any more real that that. We can argue about whether Stephen King writes this kind of story well; but what's not really arguable, I think, is that such tales are worth writing and worth reading, even if beauty of language and subtlety of characterization get sacrificed along the way. Not all stories have to do the same things.

mae
07-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Man, I don't think I've ever seen a single essay have such resonance before.

Randall Flagg
07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
If nothing else the original article has inspired some brilliant rebuttals/opinions.

Ben Mears
07-24-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure what makes something literary but I find the following sentences to be right, beautiful, and true...

Fall and spring come to Maine with the same suddenness that sunrise and sunset come to the tropics. The line of demarcation could be as thin as one day. But spring not the finest season in Maine; it is too short and too uncertain to be truly fine. Even so, there are days in April that linger in the memory even after one had forgotten the wife’s touch or the child’s smile. But by mid-May, the sun rises out of the morning’s haze with authority and potency, and standing on your top step at seven in the morning with your dinner bucket in your hand, you know that the dew will be melted off the grass by eight and that the dust on the back roads will hang depthless and still in the air for five minutes after a car’s passage; and that by one in the afternoon it will be up to ninety-five on the third floor of the mill and the sweat will roll off your arms like oil and stick your shirt to your back in a widening patch and it might as well be July.
But when fall comes, kicking summer out on its trecherous ass as it always does one day sometime after the midpoint of September, it stays awhile, like an old friend you have missed. It settles in the way that old friend will settle into your favorite chair and take out his pipe and light it and then fill the afternoon with stories of places he has been and things he has done since last he saw you.
It stays on through October, and in rare years, on into November. Day after day the skies are a clear, hard blue, and the clouds that float across them, always west to east, are calm white ships with gray keels. The wind begins to blow by the day, and it is never still. It hurries you along as you walk the roads, crunching the leaves that have fallen in mad and variegated drifts. The wind makes you ache in some place that is deeper than your bones. It may be that it touches something old in the human soul, a chord of race memory that says: Migrate or die. Migrate or die. Even in your house, behind square walls, the wind beats against the wood and glass and sends its fleshless pucker against the eaves and sooner or later you have to put down what you are doing and go out and see. And you can stand on your stoop or in your dooryard at mid-afternoon and watch the cloud-shadows rush across Griffen’s pasture and up Schoolyard Hill, light and dark, light and dark, like the shutters of the Gods being opened and closed. You can see the goldenrod, that most tenacious and pernicious and beauteous of all New England plants, bowing away from the wind like a great and silent congregation. And if there are no cars or planes, and if no one’s Uncle John is out in the wood lot west of town banging away at a quail or pheasant; if the only sound is the slow beat of your heart, you can hear another sound, and that is the sound of life winding down to its cyclic close, waiting for the first winter snow to perform its last rites.

From ‘Salem’s Lot by Stephen King  1975

Brice
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
You'd have gotten rep from me if there was mention of the vampires during your funeral reading. LOL

Merlin1958
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
You'd have gotten rep from me if there was mention of the vampires during your funeral reading. LOL

HA!! You never give "Rep" you Lovecraftian Whore!!!! LOL LOL LOL :emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu:

Just Kidding, Brice

NOT!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Brice
07-26-2012, 11:07 PM

HA!! You never give "Rep" you Lovecraftian Whore!!!! LOL LOL LOL :emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu:

Just Kidding, Brice

NOT!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Actually I've never figured out to do so. :( I've had some issue or other each time I've tried.

Merlin1958
07-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Just Kidding, Brice

NOT!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Actually I've never figured out to do so. :( I've had some issue or other each time I've tried.

LOL It's cool. I still like ya!!!! FWIW, it's the six pointed star on the left and at the bottom of folks "Posting Profile". Good luck!!!

Brice
07-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I'd give you some for that, but I guess I have to spread rep around before I can. I think you're the only one I have before and only once at that. LOL

Merlin1958
07-28-2012, 04:48 PM
I'd give you some for that, but I guess I have to spread rep around before I can. I think you're the only one I have before and only once at that. LOL

Amateur!!! LOL LOL LOL

Brice
07-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Nope, I'm just stingy with the rep.

Hey, I did say I was going to give you some. That should count for something.

Merlin1958
07-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Nope, I'm just stingy with the rep.

Hey, I did say I was going to give you some. That should count for something.

Tease!!! LOL LOL

Brice
07-29-2012, 06:55 AM
IOU :lol:

mae
10-31-2014, 05:59 AM
Didn't feel like this really deserved its own thread, so this feels like a good place:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20141031-is-stephen-king-a-great-writer

Stephen King has had an uncanny ability to hit the commercial bull’s-eye from the beginning of his career. In the 40 years since his first novel, Carrie, he has published more than 50 books, all of them international best sellers. Shortly after its release, Carrie was turned into a blood-drenched film by Brian De Palma. And in 1977 King’s novel The Shining, set in a wintry ski resort and featuring a paranormal child and a maniacal father, further showcased his unparalleled gift for psychological terror. When Stanley Kubrick turned that novel into a film in 1980, the Stephen King industry was born. There are now more than 100 films and TV programmes based on his work, and he shows no signs of slowing down – not with his legions of fans, hungry for more.

But the respect of the literary establishment has always eluded King. For years, the question of whether he was a serious writer was answered by a quick tabulation of book sales, film deals, income and sheer volume of output, which added up to a resounding ‘no’. Commercial triumph did not equal literary value. Being a best seller was anathema. (Tell that to 21st-Century authors like Chimamanda Adichie, Richard Flanagan and Donna Tartt, who have translated literary laurels into sales.)

From the beginning, King was dismissed as a ‘genre writer’. But really, he is polymorphous. In addition to horror, science fiction and fantasy novels, he has written historical fiction (his recent 11/22/63, in which a man travels back in time to kill Lee Harvey Oswald, won a Los Angeles Times book award and was a New York Times ‘top ten of the year’ pick), Westerns and literary short stories, which he describes as “the way I affirm, at least to myself, the fact that I haven't sold out”.

King has always been clear about the inspiration he has drawn from respected literary forebears. His short story The Man in the Black Suit, an homage to Hawthorne about a man who meets the devil on a walk through the woods, won an O Henry award after being published in The New Yorker. His ongoing connection with and affinity to Edgar Allen Poe was first made explicit with his 1975 version of The Tell Tale Heart, retitled Old Dude’s Ticker. HP Lovecraft inspired his 1987 science fiction novel The Tommyknockers, and King’s work also has similarities with the work of inventive literary authors: George Saunders, Karen Russell, Karen Joy Fowler, Michael Chabon, to name a few who blur genre boundaries, dabble in fantasy and adopt the conventions of horror and fantasy without losing respect.

But does any of this really mean we should take King seriously? The question is sure to rise again in November with the publication of Revival, a ‘pact with the Devil’ novel featuring a New England-born rocker with addiction issues and yet another diabolical reverend. My answer is a conditional ‘yes’. He keeps millions of readers engaged at a crucial time in the world of books, as technology continues to transform reading in unpredictable ways. King has been one of the first to experiment with new technologies, coming up with online serial novels and the first downloadable e-book, Riding the Bullet.

At his best, King is a masterful storyteller. He is able to create worlds infused with a sense of right and wrong, good and evil. He writes of familiar family crises, fears of the unknown and the yearning to belong. At a time when we are barraged with horrifying events – beheadings, Ebola, serial killers, plane crashes, police shootings, mass murders, cyberbullying – his visceral stories provide a catharsis, sometimes even a sense of order. Some victims can be avenged in fiction, if not in life. King may simplify, but he does it without contempt for his characters or readers. He may write too much, but his best work endures. He may be, at times, sophomoric, but he also can be superbly Gothic.

I put the question of King’s literary merit to Yale University’s Harold Bloom, the legendary critic and author of The Western Canon. Bloom issued a stinging rebuke of King in 2003, when King was given the US National Book Foundation’s annual award for ‘distinguished contribution to American letters’. Bloom called the honour “another low in the shocking process of dumbing down our cultural life. I've described King in the past as a writer of penny dreadfuls, but perhaps even that is too kind. He shares nothing with Edgar Allan Poe. What he is is an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis.”

Is it possible Harold Bloom might have changed his mind over the last tumultuous decade? It seems not. “Stephen King is beneath the notice of any serious reader who has experienced Proust, Joyce, Henry James, Faulkner and all the other masters of the novel,” Bloom tells me.

From the other side of the genre divide, I posed the question to the prolific horror writer Peter Straub. Straub has a shelf full of Bram Stoker awards and has edited multiple anthologies, including Poe's Children and the Library of America edition of HP Lovecraft's Tales; he collaborated with King on The Talisman (1984) and its 2001 sequel Black House. “It's an odd question,” says Straub, who ranks King with Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Raymond Chandler, Bram Stoker and Conan Doyle. "In a way, it has been asked about him almost since he began publishing. In the late ‘70s, the question was really rhetorical, because the answer was understood to be ‘no’. A writer with such immediate access to the imagination of so many readers, a lot of them unsophisticated, could not presume to seriousness. Now, his readership is even larger and more inclusive and the similarities between King and Dickens, always visible to those who cared for King's work, have become all but unavoidable. Both are novelists of vast popularity and enormous bibliographies, both are beloved writers with a pronounced taste for the morbid and grotesque, both display a deep interest in the underclass.”

In his time, Dickens was reviled by high-brow contemporaries, including George Eliot, who attacked him for “enjoying an extravagantly high reputation” and “being rewarded for his labours, both in purse and in credit, at an extravagantly high rate.” Eliot posed the same question that dogs Stephen King: “Who, it may be asked, takes Mr Dickens seriously? Is it not foolish to estimate his melodramatic and sentimental stock-in-trade gravely?” Dickens has stood the test of time. Today no-one disputes his worth. The best of Stephen King’s work is has become so embedded in the culture I suspect he faces a similar fate.