PDA

View Full Version : King on oscars oversight ?

herbertwest
06-30-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/playlist/view/259620/Matthew-McConaughey-Michelle-Yeoh-invited-to-Oscars-board/

Newlywed MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY, former Bond girl MICHELLE YEOH and 2012 Oscar winner OCTAVIA SPENCER have been invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.

The three stars are among the 176 actors, film experts, directors, producers and executives invited to join the organisation which oversees the Oscars.
Also making the list this year: actors Simon Baker, Sean Bean, Melissa McCarthy, Andy Serkis, Jonah Hill, Jessica Chastain and The Artist stars Jean DuJardin and Berenice Bejo; cinematographers Florian Ballhaus and Guillaume Schiffman; directors Asghar Farhadi, Rodrigo Garcia, Terrence Malick and Michel Hazanavicius; composers Ludovic Bource and Conrad Pope, George Clooney's production partner Grant Heslov and horror writer Stephen King.

read on Talk Stephen King

Randall Flagg
07-01-2012, 05:08 AM
If he was asked to join, then it is not an oversight.

TwistedNadine
07-01-2012, 08:46 AM
If he was asked to join, then it is not an oversight.

I dont understand what all that means. What list? He was asked to be a judge? Or he was asked to join the Academy of Motion Picture? Or is he being nominated for something? I dont mind looking stupid - I really am confused. I dont usually follow these things.

Randall Flagg
07-01-2012, 09:03 AM
King-and numerous others were invited to join the organisation which oversees the Oscars.

TwistedNadine
07-01-2012, 09:18 AM
King-and numerous others were invited to join the organisation which oversees the Oscars.

Oh ok thanks

Shannon
07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I think maybe herb meant the site's newspeople didn't catch the story?

Randall Flagg
07-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I think something was lost in the translation.

mystima
07-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Does this mean he will get to vote on what movie wins the next year?

Bev Vincent
07-02-2012, 05:48 AM
If he's an active member, he'll get to nominate in some categories, as well as the Best Picture category, and vote in them all.

The Nominations Process

Nomination ballots are mailed to the Academy’s active members in late December and are due back to PricewaterhouseCoopers, an international accounting firm, in January.

Regular awards are presented for outstanding individual or collective film achievements in up to 25 categories. Members from each of the branches vote to determine the nominees in their respective categories – actors nominate actors, film editors nominated film editors, etc. However within the Animated Feature Film and Foreign Language Film categories, nominations are selected by vote of multi-branch screening committees.

All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees.

The results of nomination balloting are announced at a 5:30 a.m. (PT) press conference the third week of January at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

Final Balloting Process

Final ballots are mailed to voting members in late-January and are due back to PricewaterhouseCoopers the Tuesday prior to Oscar Sunday for final tabulation.

The Academy’s entire active membership is eligible to select Oscar winners in all categories, although in five – Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, and Foreign Language Film – members can vote only after attesting they have seen all of the nominated films in those categories.

TwistedNadine
07-02-2012, 07:04 AM
From this is sounds like all active members can cast a vote and there is not just a select group of judges - am I understanding that correctly?
I think I am missing the significance of King's (and the other) invitations. Why is his invitation noteworthy? Cant anyone in the entertainment industry be a member?

Bev Vincent
07-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Joining The Academy

Who

To qualify for membership, you must be a film artist or craftsperson working in one or more of the art form’s key creative areas. And your work must represent an unusually high level of quality and distinction. If you are a writer, producer, or director, you should have at least two screen credits on films that reflect the Academy’s highest standards. If you are an actor, you should have performed scripted roles in at least three such films. Some branches (including Art Directors, Executives, Public Relations, Visual Effects and others) also expect new members to have worked in their fields for a certain number of years. Of course, your contributions to the motion picture industry might fall outside the 15 branch areas. If so, you may be considered to join as a Member-At-Large or as an Associate Member. As either one, you will enjoy many of the privileges of membership. Either way, while you may also be accomplished in other media, only your contributions to theatrical motion pictures will be considered.

How

Most candidates begin their journey to membership by finding current members to sponsor them. If you win the support of two or more sponsors in your (prospective) branch, your proposal will be taken up by the appropriate committees. If approved, it would then be given a final evaluation by the Board of Governors. Also, you will automatically be considered for membership if you were nominated for an Academy Award for the previous year. (Or even better, if you won one.)

Where

It doesn’t matter where you are. The Academy is a global organization representing the best of an international art form. As long as your theatrical film work is known widely enough for the appropriate membership committee to evaluate it, then you may soon be invited to join us—regardless of where in the world we would have to send your invitation.

TwistedNadine
07-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Ahh. So his invitation is an acknowledgement of his contributions and notoriety, and not just anyone can join
Thanks

herbertwest
07-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I think something was lost in the translation.

Actually, i just copied and pasted the article from Talk Stephen King ;-)
From my point of view, the "?" is important in the title...