PDA

View Full Version : Did you have to wait for King to write this one?

jayson
12-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Here's one for you. As anyone who began reading the series prior to the publication of Wizard & Glass, there was a LONG break between DT-3 and DT-4, a long break where we had no idea what would befall our beloved Tet as they rode the suicidal Blaine through the Waste Lands. My wife [also a Tower junkie] and I endured that wait very impatiently. The second wait [between DT-4 and the rest was long but nothing like the first one]. We now refer to any cliffhangers as "riding Blaine."

So my question is, did you start reading the series prior to the break and have to endure the wait, or were you able to start at DT-1 and keep going to the end?

I often find myself envying those who were able to keep going, but I also do look back fondly on that time of wondering whether or not King would get back on the path of the Beam.

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Here's one for you. As anyone who began reading the series prior to the publication of Wizard & Glass, there was a LONG break between DT-3 and DT-4, a long break where we had no idea what would befall our beloved Tet as they rode the suicidal Blaine through the Waste Lands. My wife [also a Tower junkie] and I endured that wait very impatiently. The second wait [between DT-4 and the rest was long but nothing like the first one]. We now refer to any cliffhangers as "riding Blaine."

So my question is, did you start reading the series prior to the break and have to endure the wait, or were you able to start at DT-1 and keep going to the end?

I often find myself envying those who were able to keep going, but I also do look back fondly on that time of wondering whether or not King would get back on the path of the Beam.

Great topic for a thread. I found the series (and became an addict) when Drawing of the Three came out in 1987 and the worst wait for me was between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla because of the length and what happened with King's accident.

jayson
12-06-2007, 06:35 AM
I found the series (and became an addict) when Drawing of the Three came out in 1987.

Cool, we have been on the path of the Beam for pretty much the same time frame. When my wife and I first moved in together in 1994, we discovered we now had two copies of every book King had written to that point, and we started discussing our favorites. Like me, she is a certifiable Tower junkie, and when we started talking about the series she said to me "he's gonna finish it, right? they can't stay on that monorail forever."

When Wizard & Glass came out we were both so happy, and then, another long break. After the accident, we were both of the opinion that if King didn't finish the series soon we would go to Maine and finish the job the van started. :panic:

Seriously though, while I would never wish the pain King endured upon anyone, I am glad the accident made him feel like it was time to finish the series because the wait was getting intolerable.

Storyslinger
12-06-2007, 06:37 AM
I started on the travels of Roland at the time the THe Wastelands came out. Yes, the wait was hard, and the thought of King not finishing made it all the harder

Bev Vincent
12-06-2007, 07:06 AM
I found out about The Gunslinger when it was listed at the front of Pet Sematary as a King novel. I tried to find a copy, failed. Wrote King and got on the list to get a second printing when Grant published it. So I started in about 1984 and patiently waited for each new installment over two decades.

jayson
12-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I found out about The Gunslinger when it was listed at the front of Pet Sematary as a King novel. I tried to find a copy, failed. Wrote King and got on the list to get a second printing when Grant published it. So I started in about 1984 and patiently waited for each new installment over two decades.

Your patience is remarkable!:rose:

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I started on the travels of Roland at the time the THe Wastelands came out. Yes, the wait was hard, and the thought of King not finishing made it all the harder

Wow, so you were what? 11 or 12 when Wastelands came out according to your profile? I'm impressed that you started so young. :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:09 AM
What was the worst wait between books for you Bev?

Storyslinger
12-06-2007, 07:09 AM
I started at 12, but I had no clue what it was, or what it was about. I just liked the cover, and thought it might be good

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Your patience is remarkable!:rose: It actually isn't remarkable when you consider that we're Tower Junkies. It would be remarkable if he forgot about the series while waiting for the next one. ;)

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:14 AM
I started at 12, but I had no clue what it was, or what it was about. I just liked the cover, and thought it might be good

The trade paperback edition with the big depiction of the Rose on the front?

Letti
12-06-2007, 07:15 AM
I had to wait.
I was a kid when I read W&G and I was a working grown-up when I met Roland and his ka-tet again.
I think this is one of the reasons that made this series so very important to me.

Storyslinger
12-06-2007, 07:17 AM
No, this one if I remember right
http://members.aol.com/tirfell/dtowero.jpg

Odetta
12-06-2007, 07:32 AM
I had to wait... I just kind of assumed that King would never finish it... I used to get mad about that.

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:36 AM
No, this one if I remember right
http://members.aol.com/tirfell/dtowero.jpg

I was talking about Wastelands. Or was what you meant that was the year you found the series?

Storyslinger
12-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Year I found the series, but I burned through the first two, finished the second, and had to wait all within 3 months

Matt
12-06-2007, 09:14 AM
My brother bought a paperback of the Gunslinger for his wife for Christmas. That was the late 80's I believe so DotT may have already been out.

I was already a fan (The Stand) so I picked it up.

It was hard for me after WandG because I wasn't sure if he was going to finish it but I would have to call the cliffhanger at the end of Waste Lands the worst.

I had no idea IV was out until a friend of mine happened to stop by and had it with her. I couldn't believe there was a new Dark Tower book.

Erin
12-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Although I've been a King fan since I was 13, I didn't discover the Dark Tower until late 2003, so I only had short waits for Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower.

CPU
12-06-2007, 09:45 AM
I had been a King fan for a long, long time, but for some reason I kept avoiding the "Gunslinger" books. In '93 and '94 I was an over-the-road truck driver. I had just picked up a load of canteloupe from the port of Miami and was headed for the produce markets of Boston. I was looking for an audio book to keep me company on the way there and found a copy of The Wastelands on cassette (I still have them somewhere!). Steven King was the reader and was immediately sucked into the story. 18 hours later when the cassettes ended (and I was in Boston ;)) I vowed to read the other books in the series. And I did :P

Oh, and the wait between IV and V was horrible for me!

Bev Vincent
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
What was the worst wait between books for you Bev?

I never minded waiting. I'm a patient guy.

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I knew you'd say that.

TerribleT
12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
We now refer to any cliffhangers as "riding Blaine."

hahahahahaha, I love it, can I borrow it?

The wait for WnG to come out seemed to go on forever. I was fairly certain I'd never be able to live through it. I got WnG and BLASTED through until I found out the fate of our friends.

jayson
12-06-2007, 12:28 PM
We now refer to any cliffhangers as "riding Blaine."

hahahahahaha, I love it, can I borrow it?

Absolutely.

fernandito
12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I was one of the fortunate (or unfortunate, depending how you look at it) ones : I started the journey to the Dark Tower about 1 month before Wolves of The Calla was to be released. The only wait I had to endure was the space between paychecks. :)

TerribleT
12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I actually sort of like the fact that I had to wait for each novel. It sorta sucked, but it always gave me something to look forward to, and I enjoyed the excitement of each new book. I often re-read all of the previous books right before the new one came out just so I was caught up. I am in the process of reading them back to back for the first time. I'm enjoying it a lot. I do have to admit, I was always afraid either he would die, or I would before the tale was complete.

Darkthoughts
12-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I got given WaG as a gift, when it first came out in the UK. I started reading it and thought...I need to read the other 3 first, I have no clue whats going on! And then I just forgot about it.

Then in about...must've been 2002, a girl at another site told me to read Black House (as I'd been complaining about the ending of The Talisman) and I loved it so much I was like "Gimme more! And who the hell is this gunslinger guy?" and she pointed me in the DT direction :thumbsup:

So, my waits weren't too unbearable.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Who was able to snag the little first chapter of Wizard and Glass booklet and the Keep You Up All Night light before Wizard and Glass was released? I sure did! :D They hadn't even opened the box with the booklets in them yet when I got to the store..I was like "You better open that box quick or things are going to get ugly around here".

jayson
12-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Who was able to snag the little first chapter of Wizard and Glass booklet and the Keep You Up All Night light before Wizard and Glass was released? I sure did! :D They hadn't even opened the box with the booklets in them yet when I got to the store..I was like "You better open that box quick or things are going to get ugly around here".

Lucky bastard!

Bev Vincent
12-11-2007, 07:12 AM

Yeah, I got one of those. I was also around to vouch for the famous "pissing and moaning" post King made to alt.books.stephen-king. A lot of people were skeptical that King actually wrote it, but his publisher had cued me in beforehand that it was coming.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:14 AM
I was also around to vouch for the famous "pissing and moaning" post King made to alt.books.stephen-king. A lot of people were skeptical that King actually wrote it, but his publisher had cued me in beforehand that it was coming.

I remember reading that on some website the year that happened and saying to myself "Go Stephen!". I couldn't believe the amount of bitching after that great little treat! :angry:

Brice
12-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I know. :D I remember the W&G excerpt went to those who missed the booklight or vise versa. Point is, you were only supposed to get one or the other. I however managed to get both off the same purchase. It helps to make friends with the people who work book stores. :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I know. :D I remember the W&G excerpt went to those who missed the booklight or vise versa. Point is, you were only supposed to get one or the other. I however managed to get both off the same purchase. It helps to make friends with the people who work book stores. :thumbsup:

No, it wasn't meant for that, both were supposed to go with any purchase of The Regulators and Desperation, thats all. It was a great promo and still some folk complained about it. :rolleyes: No wonder King went off on them about it, I'm glad he did.

Darkthoughts
12-11-2007, 11:12 AM
I missed that - link anyone?

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Link to what?

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 02:43 AM
King's rant.

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 06:08 AM
No.

Matt
12-13-2007, 10:01 AM
That's too bad, I would have loved to read it.

Bev Vincent
12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
November 21, 1996

Gentle Readers:
It's reached my attention that there's been a fair degree of pissing and moaning about the Wizard and Glass booklet which comes with a dual purchase of Desperation and The Regulators. I swear to God, some of you guys could die and go to heaven and then complain that you had booked a double occupancy room, and where the hell is the sauna, anyway? The major complaints seem to be coming from people who have already bought both books. Those of you who bought the double-pack got the light, right? A freebie. So whatcha cryin' about?

The booklet was my idea, not the publisher's--a little extra for people who wanted to buy both books after supplies of the famous "Keep You Up All Night" light ran out. If you expect to get the booklet IN ADDITION to the light, all I can say is sorry, Cholly, but there may not be enough booklets to go around. If you bought the two books separately, because there weren't any gift packs left (they sold faster than expected, which is how this booklet deal came up in the first place), go back to where you bought them, tell the dealer what happened, show him/her your proof of (separate) purchase, and they'll take care of you. If they get wise witcha, tell 'em Steve King said that was the deal.

If you're just jacked because you want to read the first two chapters of Wizard and Glass, wait until the whole thing comes out. Or put it on your T.S. List and give it to the chaplain. In any case, those of you who are yelling and stamping your feet, please stop. If you're old enough to read, you're old enough to behave.

STEVE KING

jayson
12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks Bev, I had never read that before.:thumbsup:

Wuducynn
12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks Bev! I knew you'd come through! Yep, that was great reading. I got both the booklet and the nightlight..I wish I knew what happened to the nightlight.

jayson
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I wish I knew what happened to the nightlight.

I bet it burned out long long ago because Big Red is afraid of the dark!

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks Bev, I had never seen that

Wuducynn
12-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Big Red IS the darkness, motherfucker!

Darkthoughts
12-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Cool, cheers Bev :thumbsup:

I got the booklet today - Brice sent it to me :wub:

Matt
12-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Or put it on your T.S. List and give it to the chaplain.

:rofl:

I love him!

Thanks for posting this Bev

obscurejude
01-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I did have to wait but only for a couple of years because I started the series around 95 when I was thirteen. That was difficult and I feel for those that had to wait longer. I did "take a ride on blaine" for the rest of the series and that kind of sucked at times. Especially when some of King's other novels were hinting at coming attractions (Black House, Insomnia, and Low Men in Yellow Coats). The anticipation became difficult to deal with at times (I read Low Men in Yellow Coats in one sitting and missed class the next day).

blackrose22
02-06-2008, 08:49 AM
I got The Gunslinger for Christmas in 93 and loved it and went and got the
next two not long after. The cliffhanger of an ending in The Waste lands was so annoying I couldn't wait till Wizard and Glass came out but didn't expect to have to wait for nearly four years for it<_< . Anytime I was in Dublin I'd head to Easons the biggest book chain in Ireland and distributor in the country to see if was out and always come away disappointed and empty-handed. It got to the point I thought SK was never going to release it. So in 97 when the book finally came out a friend told me he had read in a magazine that SK's latest book Wizard and Glass was been released in about two weeks time. I couldn't believe it so I made plans to head to Dublin about three weeks later.
Got to Dublin rushed into Easons and went straight to the customer information desk in the shop and asked the two girls behind the counter was Wizard and Glass by SK out yet and the girls started to giggle. Not sure what the joke was I said well is it in or not and if not when is it been released. One of the girls just turned to her left and pointed and right beside the counter was a massive cardboard cover of the book and two tables stack as high with the said book.
I just stared at the display in disbelief that it was finally out and that I'd walked straight past it. I said sorry to the girls for asking a stupid question and turned pure crimson in embarrassment (I'm a red head so you can imagine how red faced I looked)>< :blush: . Grad myself a copy and went and paid for it. On the way out of the shop there was a big display of the book in the window that I'd missed also on the way in. That made me feel like a complete twat altogether. Headed back to the bus station to head home and I took a massive fit of laughing which got a few strange looks from people.
Was it worth the wait? You bet it was.

MonteGss
02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I got The Gunslinger for Christmas in 93 and loved it and went and got the
next two not long after. The cliffhanger of an ending in The Waste lands was so annoying I couldn't wait till Wizard and Glass came out but didn't expect to have to wait for nearly four years for it<_< . Anytime I was in Dublin I'd head to Easons the biggest book chain in Ireland and distributor in the country to see if was out and always come away disappointed and empty-handed. It got to the point I thought SK was never going to release it. So in 97 when the book finally came out a friend told me he had read in a magazine that SK's latest book Wizard and Glass was been released in about two weeks time. I couldn't believe it so I made plans to head to Dublin about three weeks later.
Got to Dublin rushed into Easons and went straight to the customer information desk in the shop and asked the two girls behind the counter was Wizard and Glass by SK out yet and the girls started to giggle. Not sure what the joke was I said well is it in or not and if not when is it been released. One of the girls just turned to her left and pointed and right beside the counter was a massive cardboard cover of the book and two tables stack as high with the said book.
I just stared at the display in disbelief that it was finally out and that I'd walked straight past it. I said sorry to the girls for asking a stupid question and turned pure crimson in embarrassment (I'm a red head so you can imagine how red faced I looked)>< :blush: . Grad myself a copy and went and paid for it. On the way out of the shop there was a big display of the book in the window that I'd missed also on the way in. That made me feel like a complete twat altogether. Headed back to the bus station to head home and I took a massive fit of laughing which got a few strange looks from people.
Was it worth the wait? You bet it was.

Awesome story! Thank you. :thumbsup:

Storyslinger
02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Indeed, great story.

CRinVA
02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Like Bev, I first learned of The Guslinger when it was listed in the front of Pet Semetery! Unlike Bev I wasn't smart enough to contact anyone - I could have gotten a 2nd edition easily but was too stupid to realize. I first listened to The Gunslinger when the Audio Cassette came out - roughly '85 and while listeneing the Plume paperback was released. Starging then I knew about Grant and have purchased every one from Grant as they came out. I have been quite patient waiting for each renditon that followed. There were always other books to fill the gaps, but I oftened wondered when was King returning to the Dark Tower! When he had his accident I was really scared that the story was never going to find it's ending! of course we are all waiting again as teh Marvel series unfolds and new material is knocking at the door!

Madagascar
02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
I only started reading it last year, and just finished DT7 about a week ago. (On the 31st) But I can imagine how bad it must've been waiting years and years just for a book...honestly, I'd've probably lost my patience. :(

Letti
02-08-2008, 12:58 AM
You wouldn't.
Love is love.

Brice
02-11-2008, 08:24 AM
You wouldn't.
Love is love.

absolutely true. :D

Wuducynn
02-11-2008, 01:38 PM
...honestly, I'd've probably lost my patience. :(

Along with strongly seconding what Letti and Brice, I'll say that, yeah it was wicked hard having to wait between books all those years and not knowing if the series would ever be finished, it another way it was a lot of fun.
All the speculation between Tower Junkies on wonderful sites like this and the repetitive stabbing of folk you don't agree with.
It was just a lot of fun. It built a fellowship among fans and a lot of warmth and love, that we have now.

NeedfulKings
02-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I was one of those who started reading the series in '01 or '02. By the time I finished W&G, the remaining ones were on their way out. As I waited for them, I read all other things King-- IT, Salem's Lot, Desperation,Talisman, etc. I was so hooked!!! Still am. :D

Great stories here. From those who waited as well as us who didn't. And the letter from King to the CR's was priceless!!!

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
I had to wait and then I had to wait for it to go to soft cover so my cats wouldn't eat my books!!!!

Lance
02-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Hell yeah I had to wait. My best friend and I both got it for Christmas from our parents. She and I spent the last week of December on a couch in her apartment reading it. We kept looking at each other at different points and going "Oh shit!" and "I know!" :lol:

ATG
02-19-2008, 06:40 AM
I started with The Drawing of the Three when it was first released.

I somehow managed to skip SOS, I thought I had read it until I was 3/4 finished with DT7 so I went back and reread the whole series back to back.

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 09:36 AM

I somehow managed to skip SOS, I thought I had read it until I was 3/4 finished with DT7 so I went back and reread the whole series back to back.

Thats a big boo-boo. Must have been all that crack you were smoking back then.

jayson
02-25-2008, 09:50 AM

you didn't notice the numbering went from 5 to 7?

HanzouNorak
02-25-2008, 11:15 AM
m dad told me how freakin long he had to wait for it. he didn't even read it even though he bought it. im lucky the the series was finished when i began reading it.

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 09:07 AM
im lucky the the series was finished when i began reading it.

Yeah, in another way it was a lot of fun speculating what was going to happen in the next book, where the journey was going to go etc.

aurora
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I managed to get and read 'The Gunslinger' the same week as its original release same with "Drawing of the Three'. The novels King put out around the time of book II was a far cry from his earlier work which I feel in love with. Add in the fact I was now in college and trying to become an Olympic freestyle skier I decided I would wait till the far distant day when/if King ever finished the series and thats exactly what I did. Sadly during that time I gave away both copies of I & II, sure wish I had not done that now. :doh:

I also have to say that also being a HUGE fan of the Dune series I have been extremely excited by the continuation of that series especially the last two books which I never thought we would see. After the death of Frank Herbert I thought pure Duncan and the crew where lost forever. While I was not really happy with Hunters of Dune I did love Sandworms and was happy enough with the ending.

With Dune I was happy the voyage ended (well not really since Brian and Kevin are still adding new stories into the universe) with DT I'm extremely sad to see it end. I liked the ending well enough and love the comic series. I just hope that the comic series keeps expanding the DT universe including exploring Arthur Eld, and maybe just maybe Rolands quest to the DT take who knows how many.

Matt
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM

This very same thing happened to people I know except with the Harry Potter books. Skipped 6 completely. Didn't realize it until they started wondering why a certain someone was no longer running the school. :lol:

jayson
02-26-2008, 01:00 PM

This very same thing happened to people I know except with the Harry Potter books. Skipped 6 completely. Didn't realize it until they started wondering why a certain someone was no longer running the school. :lol:

i can see reading DT_7 and being like "why do they keep saying they met Stephen King?!?"

Letti
02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I can't understand how someone can think they have read a certain book of their favourite series however they haven't... How can it happen? I am really interested in it.
As I was reading the series I could tell which one I read how many times and when I was planning to read next...
So how the blue hell can it happen?

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I can't understand how someone can think they have read a certain book of their favourite series however they haven't... How can it happen?

Like I said - http://www.drugalcohol-rehab.com/images/smoking-crack-cocaine.jpg

Dud-a-chum?
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I can't understand how someone can think they have read a certain book of their favourite series however they haven't... How can it happen?

Oh, come now, All_Hail, must you always assume the worst in people?

. . . nevermind, I just went back and read the guy's initial post. Yeah, he was totally tweaked.

Brice
03-01-2008, 03:26 PM

. . . nevermind, I just went back and read the guy's initial post. Yeah, he was totally tweaked.

And besides, this is Matthew speaking OF COURSE he must assume the worst in people. :rofl:

jhanic
03-04-2008, 08:47 AM
I HATED the wait between The Waste Lands and Wizard and Glass. I almost threw my copy of The Waste Lands against the wall when I read the ending. Then I had to wait that long, long wait for Wizard and Glass. When I read about King's accident, I just kind of figured that the series would never be finished. I was very glad when the announcement of Wolves of the Calla was made. (Remember that the first announcements said the title would be The Creeping Shadow? That REALLY intrigued me!)

John

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Also, you're assuming I think thats bad in the first place..

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
(Remember that the first announcements said the title would be The Creeping Shadow? That REALLY intrigued me!)

John

Hell yeah I remember that, that was awesome. I'm glad he went with Wolves of the Calla though.

Powdered Water
11-29-2008, 07:19 PM
What a great thread. My God this brings back some memories. Besides The Dark Tower books I haven't read a King book in about 15 years. I only mention that because that's what those damn books did to me. I was a huge fan of almost all of his books early on. I was about 10 years old when I first read a King book. I don't remember which one. I know I got to read The Gunslinger very early on, probably early 83 as it was in paperback.

So yeah, I'm a serious waiter. I actually hate myself a little bit for how much I became addicted to them. Waited 4 years for for Drawing, 6 for Wizard (I really didn't think he was going to write it) and then another 6 for Wolves. The little wait after that for the next two was a drop in the bucket. Really, that's why I haven't read any other King books for so long, I swore off his other books until he finished the series. Now that he has, I just haven't been able to get back into his other stuff. I have most of them and I may read them eventually but as he obviously wasn't in any hurry to finish TDT, I'm in no hurry to finish his other books. Yeah, I'm petty like that. That's just how I roll.

Anyway, these books have had a pretty profound experience on my life and I just thought I'd start to share some of it as I'm new to the site and I'm sure no one wants to read it all in one post.

Letti
11-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Powdered Water, good to see you around. You have found the perfect place I mean we all are addicted to this series here. For my part I don't mind it at all. It has given me so much and it's always with me.
Don't hesitate to post anywhere.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-30-2008, 03:19 AM
I have made this statement on a few other threads, but this thread seems the most appropriate, so I will repeat it.

I started with The Gunslinger before Drawing came out. When Drawing came out I quickly reread The Gunslinger before starting Drawing. When Wastlands came out, I reread the first two about a month before Wastlands came out. Then the long, long, long wait for W+G. So I reread the first 3 again before reading W & G. Then the almost as long wait for Wolves. Sooo...... I reread the first 4 books. The last 2 books came out in quick enough succession that I was not compelled to do any rereading. But I guess I have been reading these books for the better part of two decades.

Brainslinger
12-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I started reading the books after Wizard and Glass came out. Not that long after though. (I can't remember how long it was actually, so in this case 'not long' is relative.) In short I pretty much bought them and read them one after the other, and then underwent the long wait for the last three. Still not as long a wait as those of you who had to wait for this book.

Incidentally,I did consider buying them before W&G came out. I never got further than reading the blurb on the back... then returning it to the shelf though. It was actually an extract in Rose Madder, followed by reading the back of The Waste Lands that prompted me to go ahead. Namely Ludd.

Sam
12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
I am just finding this topic so here's my experience.

I first read The Gunslinger in 1988 at the prodding of my brother during a long drive during our family vacation. I went into the 9th grade that August. DotT was already out at that time and we had it as well so I read it as soon as I finished The Gunslinger. I had virtually no wait since The Waste Lands came out just a couple of years later. The wait between III and IV was, in a word, HORRIBLE. I hated it because I wanted so badly to know what was going on, and I feared we would never know. W&G came out, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Then 1999 happened, and I feared for the Tower again. I feared King would not survive. When he did survive, I feared he may never write again. When he got better, I feared he may decide he has had enough and want to spend his life in retirement. Then I was afraid he would simply not pick it back up. That brings us to WotC and the rest is history. So, there you have it.

Matt
12-12-2008, 04:57 PM
These are such cool stories.

I agree with you beeen...12 to 17 is a very long 5 year stretch.

I was all grown up and it felt like agony to me. I had literally almost forgotten about it until a friend of mine came by with W&G from the library tucked under her arm. :scared:

I still read all of the new King stuff at the time when I could, I couldn't believe it was out.

Letti
12-13-2008, 11:15 AM
It was the same for me but I had to wait for the Wolves for so long. I changed so much during those 5 years ( from 13 to 18 ) and it was so good to meet the same loved characters again.

reckless113
07-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm a younger reader. At least compared to those who read these books since the very beginning. I read them all over the course of a year. I could not imagine the anticipation you would have endured over those years. The books were a complete different experience for me in comparison to yours I imagine, for better or worse.

Rambo, John J
08-26-2009, 08:20 AM
I read the Gunslinger at about 8 or 9 years of age and DoTT and The Waste Lands at the tender age of about 12, just after the Waste Lands had been published.

My older brother is a massive King fan and i'd started working my way through his King collection - IT etc. and had stumbled upon a small paperback of the Gunslinger. I read it more for the cover than anything else and while I enjoyed it, It didn't exactly get my bells ringing.

Drawing of the Three though, is where I became a full junkie. Christ, was anyone else on tenterhooks throughout the entire book? Through Roland's gradually worsening condition to Detta/ Odetta vs Eddie to Balazar and Henry Dean ('Johnny Cash!'); man, I could not put this book down for love nor money. I had the lobstrosities 'Dam-a-cham' in my head for weeks afterwards.

I finished that, flew through the Waste Lands - Jake and the memory paradox, amazing stuff for a 12 year old sci-fi/ fantasy buff to read and had to wait from '91 to '97. Now that was an ordeal.

It was nice though to revisit the first three books when Wizard and Glass was published to reacquaint myself with the Gunslingers.

DT has been with me all through adolescence and remains my favourite - not just book - but story, of all time.

Great thread by the way, I often wonder if there are as many Tower junkies out there as there should be!

MPatrick
08-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Not sure how many people still come to this thread, but I loved the stories you've all told and felt like sharing mine. :)

I first read The Gunslinger in 1985, when I was 12 (about to turn 13). It was the paperback edition, and it was missing the front cover.

I'll never forget how beaten up this book was. Unfortunately, over the years I lost it. I'm not a big collector, but this book would have taken me right back to that great first line and how it felt when I read it!

My mom had went to a used bookstore and bought a large box of books. Half of them (at least) were SK books. I started with Pet Semetary, and I've been hooked ever since.

I wouldn't say I forgot Roland and his quest, but it was definitely in the back of my mind. I was convinced he would never finish it!

Then when I was in college, I was reading Misery and saw a listing for Dot3. How excited was I when I saw not only that book, but Wastelands too!

I was so into it that I got a couple of my friends to read it. I didn't know how they would feel about it. I shouldn't have been worried. We're still friends today, and I think our friendship became so strong because of our mutual journey to The Tower.

Then...nothing. Just blurbs here and there that a 4th volume was coming out.

Once W&G came out, we were all excited. We had to be careful what we spoke about since someone might be lagging behind.

I look back and hated the wait. Hated waiting for W&G. Hated that terrible feeling that he wouldn't finish the series. Remember being overjoyed when I heard that not only was he finishing it, but in quick succession!

Now? I think the wait made it that much more special for me. The theories! The anticipation! Great memories for sure.

It's also nice to know that even though the series is over, there is still a place to talk about things like this. Great thread! Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories...

Thanks, Rambo, for posting yours and inspiring me!

Rambo, John J
08-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Not at all MPatrick. I can't beleive its taken me til now to discover this website...!

MPatrick
08-26-2009, 01:25 PM
I know what you mean JR...

Kronz
02-09-2010, 12:57 AM
I think I read Waste Lands in '92, and I re-read the then-trilogy two or three more times before Wizard and Glass came out. When it finally did, I read the introductory 100 or so pages and then quit about the Western at like page 250 and didn't pick up the book again until 2001, when I read it again from the start. I was appalled at myself for not having finished it in 97, it was so enjoyable to read I can't figure out why I ever set it down. To me the Western section of this novel is probably the best thing King has written. That so many people (myself included initially) don't get that from it is pretty tragic. The love story and the building action and tension is masterful. It's jarring to have a book with two nearly unconnected threads in it, but we knew that was going to be the case years before it came out so it wasn't like it was a surprise. I am glad though that King didn't weave the Western back and forth with the Mid World stuff, that could have hurt it badly.

Anyway short answer to the OP: yes, and I was impatient.

Savvy
02-09-2010, 03:21 AM
I didn't have to wait I only started reading them last year and managed to read them all in the same month. I'm quite patient.. I think I might have managed going 5 years<_< with the help of some kind of drug where I spend those years monged out

Saintmatthew
02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Between the release for the Wastelands and Wizard & Glass, I was hit by a car and wheelchair bound for many months, moved to VA, moved to FL, went back to school for voc rehab, recorded two cds and then finally got married. So much happened I all but forgot the series even had existed, despite the fact that I still have the copy of Wastelands that I read when it came out. It's one of the very few things left from that point of my life. When I saw the W&G on shelves I about sht myself thinking, "Wow, he actually did another one". Sadly, it got ganked from me at work and I didn't get another copy for a couple years. The post Blaine part had seemed a tad slow and i was at that point going through a separation, eventual divorce, job loss.....whole life crumbling. After I moved to MD I saw it at an airport and nabbed it again. So I waited, but didn't hang on it the whole way.

mtdman
05-29-2011, 07:52 PM
I read everything but the dt series by King for the longest time. I kept resisting and resisting. Then in 2009 I gave in and listened to all the books in about a 2 month span. I didn't have to wait for any of them. I am not sure I would have been happy having to wait between books, and probably would have given up on the series.

Adumbros
05-30-2011, 08:31 AM
i had about a 5-year wait between TWL and W&G. although i have to admit that not only was the wait longer than the one between W&G and WotC, but it was far more worth it too. No disrespect to sai King, but honestly, I would call him a liar to his face if he attempted to claim that the last three volumes of the series weren't rushed in some kind of panic that he'd never be able to after his accident. even if it was just a subliminal thing and not intentional, it's still painfully obvious that he rushed the end.

Nerak
05-30-2011, 09:06 AM
I had to endure the wait, it was horrible....picturing in my mind what was going to happen to the Ka-tet and Blaine! What a wait!!!
As for the rant...wicked cool, I had never seen that before.

rico567
11-03-2014, 10:44 AM
I read The Gunslinger a very long time ago- I'm not sure how I came across the book, but I know it was the original "non-integrated" edition. Then i promptly forgot about it, also for a very long time, although the book itself made an impression on me. By the time I read anything else in the DT series, everything was out but the last two. I apparently had access to The Drawing of the Three for a very limited time (probably a visit to a relative's house) where I read parts of the book. But TDotT must not have made any huge impression on me, because I didn't finish it then or buy it later.
Some years later, I bought a box of King books dirt cheap (less than $10 shipped) on eBay, solely in the interest of getting The Tommyknockers. In the box was a paperback of The Waste Lands and the illustrated trade paper of Wizard and Glass. I read and enjoyed TWL. I also read W&G, although I got hung up on the large center part of the book which relates Roland's loss of his first ka-tet (and still am- I find writing dialogue in dialect very offputting).
As far as the torturous interval between books 3&4 that so many people experienced- maybe King just didn't know what happened as the denouement to TWL, ended the book there, and it took him all that time to figure it out, so he worked on other projects. (And wasn't there an episode in there somewhere in which he got hit by a car while walking on the road and had a protracted recovery?)
Hard to figure, but he isn't the only author to have a hiatus in stories. One of the most famous, of course, is when Conan Doyle just got tired of writing Sherlock Holmes stories, killed him off, and was in time forced to bring him back to life by the incessant demands of fandom.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-04-2015, 10:02 PM
well i can't remember if i posted this or not? but i read the original well Paperback version of the very 1st novel as a kid. i don't remember how old? i think it had to be the 1st book my brother let me read of his. i'm guessing to throw a year out there (1990) here's what i mean. i'm 36 now and my brother is 41 now. as of late month he just turned that. but growing up he had to read the book 1st to see if i could read them. he's been reading him since i have no idea to be honest. since the 80's i forget which book was his 1st. i'm going to guess Firestarter? anyways.
he'd read the book 1st and than report to my parents Don is too young for this or that one. and i'd be always pissed off when he'd say that. for obvious reasons.

anyways, than after pestering and begging to read the gunslinger. i was allowed to read it and i loved it. than it was forever it felt like that i was allowed to read the drawing of the three.
and that ended up and still is my favorite in the series. anyways the wolves of Calla by the way is his favorite one i think he told me once? anyways. the 1st time i read the drawing of the three during parts of it i think i kind rushed reading it for some reason? anyways, after Wastelands came out i dunno how many times i'd start it than not finish it. i'd lose interest cause it starts off so slow in spots. Jake in New York kinda drags on a bit.than in i think (1994) when i was a freshman in high school i FINALLY fucking finished it.

and my reaction was WTF ? and i was pissed that Wizard & Glass hadn't been written yet. fast forward to (1997) my brother is away at College i think the 1st King book i bought for myself was that one. i still have it too. it's the trade paperback Pink Cover. anyways i read the opening of it and loved it, and i would get to a few hundered pages into and it and i'd get well bored
to be honest. i can't tell you how many times i read the wastelands before i finished it. and the wastelands as well. cause i'd lose track on what is going on and i'd have to start the book over from the very start.

and than a couple years ago after all these years i picked up Wizard & Glass for the 1st time in years with the motivation to actually finish damn thing he he and i did end up enjoying the hell out of it. it's not a favorite of mine in the series but i did enjoy it. my favorite part of the book is i think Blaine and the riddles contest. i have started the 5th book but i have yet to actually finished it. i got burnt out to be honest by the series. i had started the series reading the revised 1st book. and read the ones after than until i reached the 5th book.

the part i'm on is father C. telling his life story. well that's my story anyways.

goheat
02-05-2015, 06:21 AM
I actually started reading the series in 1994, although I had been reading King since 1982, so I didn't have as long a wait before Wizard and Glass was released so as to be unbearable!

racerx45
02-05-2015, 09:18 AM
I don’t know if I should admit this or not but no I did not have to wait to read Wizard & Glass. It was not because of my age, I had been casually reading King since the mid 80’s. The reason is it was the first book in the series I read! I was in the book store looking for a new book and the cover art and title caught my eye and I enjoyed King so I bought. I then realized it was book #4 and read it anyway and loved it. Then read the first 3 and was hooked.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-05-2015, 10:46 PM
nothing wrong with that i don't think. i think the gunslinger was the 1st book i read by King to be honest. like i said i had to fight like hell with my brother to read that. cause i wasn't allowed to read other books of his cause of the content. i bought the book "IT" in (1992) i still have the paperback but i read it soo much that the damn cover came off and it's the version with Tim Curry on the cover. that's my favorite "IT" cover and the original cover art as well. my point is i think getting that used was one i had to beg to read. and when i read that it took me a month to read!

i bring that up cause it was also i think one of the 1st books of his i read as well. another series i read in one summer i can't remember what year? was 'the witching hour' by Anne Rice' and that's such a great book i read that a couple times since than. more than a couple i think. i only bring that up cause the 1st book is over 1,000 pages just like "IT" is.