PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games - warning, there may be spoilers

ELazansky
06-15-2012, 04:32 AM
No Hunger Games discussion yet? I know I'm not the only adult who has read the trilogy. What did y'all think about it? As a whole, I thought it was great, although the last two books were not up to par compared to the first one.

Did you feel that...

Prim had to die? If she hadn't, would Katniss have done what she had to do?

Ricky
06-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Man, I wish there had been a thread when I was reading the series (last month). That would've been great. But I really, really enjoyed all three books. I wanted to see what all the hype was about, especially since the movie was coming out, and ending up loving them. I was really impressed.

Regarding your Spoiler, I don't think that Prim had to die for the Capitol to be overthrown (by the rebels, Captiol citizens, etc.) but I do think that she had to die to give Katniss the last push of motivation to realize who her true enemies were and defeat them (Coin).

Do you think we should put a Spoiler tag in the thread title?

stkmw02
06-15-2012, 07:28 AM
I've only read the first of the series and have put off the second until my mother gets the time to read along with me. It's always more fun to read and discuss together. I'll have to check back when I finish the series!

ELazansky
06-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Do you think we should put a Spoiler tag in the thread title?

We probably should...but I don't know how to do that :-(

fernandito
06-15-2012, 07:35 AM
I've read the first two, will get to book three eventually.

Ricky
06-15-2012, 07:48 AM

One of the Mods should be able to change it. Feev?

How could you not be itching for Mockingjay after that cliffhanger!

alkanto
06-15-2012, 08:15 AM

I am doing the same. Mostly, because I'm too cheap to buy the 3rd one. For the first 2, I managed to borrow/download a .pdf and I can't really be bothered to only buy the last book. Plus, the people from whom I borrowed the other ones all moved from real books to e-readers during the series, so borrowing is not an option atm.

Ka-mai
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
One thing I love about this series is how completely fucked up everyone is at the end. I mean, I adore Harry Potter, but all those kids go through multiple traumas and come out perfectly well-adjusted with flocks of children at the end. Really? If that happens for you, great, but it's pretty unlikely after a certain amount of damage.I was kind of disappointed in Gale's transformation from an excellent man/boyfriend who is unhappy with his dystopian life (understandable!) into some kind of raging warrior. Mostly because I really liked Gale (at first) and thought Peeta was a ridiculous construct of male perfection who couldn't possibly exist. I feel like she just wrote more anger into Gale to make Peeta the obvious choice for Katniss. Also I hate love triangles. They're so fanfiction-y I can't stand it.

Also, best character: Finnick Odair. Don't even try to argue with me on this, I'll fuck you up. :P

Ricky
06-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Jen, have you looked at the Barnes and Noble website any? I know the books have a retail price of $17.99 or something like that, but got mine on BN.com for $10.19 with free shipping. That might be an option, especially if you have an extra 15 or 20% coupon to use.

And I really like how everyone is messed up/has major emotional/physical problems at the end, too. It definitely makes them more believable.

But about Gale, it kind of felt off to me that he went to his "fancy job" and...what? Never sees Katniss again? Just like that? I know she was a little uncertain about his weapons' involvement in Prim's death, but still.
And Finnick is not even close to being the best character. Effie 2012! :lol:

Bethany
06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
*comes in, looks at Feev and Ricky, leaves*

fernandito
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM

One of the Mods should be able to change it. Feev?

Hmm, I tried adding it but it's refusing comply ... I'll inquire in the mod threads.

How could you not be itching for Mockingjay after that cliffhanger!

In all honesty, I'm not in any rush to pick up book three. The second book just felt like a rehash of the first book.

Also, 80 year olds being thrown into the Hunger Games? Seriously? Gtfo.

Katniss didn't evolve at all from the first book, if anything she seems more petulant than ever. And why is she always doubting herself ? Didn't she gain any confidence at all after surviving the first HG? Did she gain no deeper knowledge of herself and her abilities? And don't get me started on that ridiculous dead weight love triangle that's shoehorned in there simply to please the much coveted female teenager demographic.

WeDealInLead
06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
I read the first one and that was enough to convince me to stay away from the other books. I guessed 90% of things that would happen in books 2 and 3 without even reading them.

I hated that they didn't really have to kill anyone they liked in the book. That felt like such a cop out.

To close it on a more positive note, the book was alright but didn't live up to its hype.

Ricky
06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
In all honesty, I'm not in any rush to pick up book three. The second book just felt like a rehash of the first book.

I can agree with that to a point. But Mockingjay definitely goes in a different direction that I think you'd really enjoy.

Odetta
06-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I fixed the title, everyone!

And I agree with Ka-mai... definitely Finnick was my fave character. I liked the books in the order I read them... 1 was my fave, then 2 and then 3. I quite disliked the ending of 3, but I am usually disappointed by endings of stories anyhow.

Ricky
06-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks, O!

Odetta
06-15-2012, 05:34 PM
I aim to please ;)

Brice
06-15-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm reading them now.

ELazansky
06-15-2012, 06:55 PM
I fixed the title, everyone!

And I agree with Ka-mai... definitely Finnick was my fave character. I liked the books in the order I read them... 1 was my fave, then 2 and then 3. I quite disliked the ending of 3, but I am usually disappointed by endings of stories anyhow.

I didn't dislike the ending, but I thought it was very rushed. I guess I thought I knew what was going to happen...and then the climax hit and I was like...WTF? But then as I finished it I was OK with it.

And on the whole, Finnick definitely rates up there as one of the best in the trilogy. But I really enjoyed Haymitch. Juts something about how it always seemed to know what to do or say in each situation.

Ricky
06-15-2012, 07:07 PM
What I found interesting about Haymitch was that for someone who's life and reputation as a drunk was so messed up, ironically he seemed to be the one to have it together the most.

I was pretty okay with the ending but thought that there were a few plotlines that felt a little rushed. Overall, I was happy with how everything ended...especially Coin's death.

Ka-mai
06-16-2012, 01:25 PM
What I found interesting about Haymitch was that for someone who's life and reputation as a drunk was so messed up, ironically he seemed to be the one to have it together the most.

I was pretty okay with the ending but thought that there were a few plotlines that felt a little rushed. Overall, I was happy with how everything ended...especially Coin's death.

This! Haymitch is an excellent character. And him being Woody Harrelson in the movie just made him more awesome. :D However, I still have to stand with Finnick, because he's hilarious, and because of the secrets he collected. (Holy shit, I wish she had written more detail into that! "Oh yeah, he has super juicy secrets... but we're going to totally gloss over them." Fuck you and your lazy writing.)

Ricky
06-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Ah! I had almost forgotten about what Snow "did" to him and all the secrets he held. That definitely enhances him character arc, I think. Another prime example of someone who projects an attitude/appearance which is totally opposite of what's inside of them. Finnick, Haymitch, etc.

Ka-mai
06-16-2012, 06:24 PM
But I kind of think Finnick at least enjoyed his posturing (not his forced prostitution.). I think it allowed him to escape his dark life and just be silly for a while. I mean, if I was pretty much known as the sexiest creature in Panem, I'd probably strut a little. :P

Odetta
06-16-2012, 07:15 PM
regarding Finnick

I wish Finnick's death would have been a little more spectacular... she just kind of killed him off

Ricky
06-16-2012, 07:27 PM
I agree. At that point in the tunnels, I was like, is he dead? Did he just die? I had to read that part again because it seemed so matter-of-fact.

Ka-mai
06-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes. I felt for such a dynamic character he deserved more than "he abandoned his wife and unborn child to be eaten by lizards."

:rolleyes:

Ka-mai
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Johanna Mason casting (http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/04/showbiz/movies/jena-malone-catching-fire-ew/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9)

I know it's not Finnick, but thought people might be interested anyway. :P

Ricky
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Every article that I've read about this says "Lionsgate has reportedly already offered the part..." so we really don't know if she's accepted. I hope she does, though. It's a really good fit, I think.

In other news, Flava Flav has accepted the part of Cinna, since Lenny Kravitz is unavailable during filming.

mystima
07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Every article that I've read about this says "Lionsgate has reportedly already offered the part..." so we really don't know if she's accepted. I hope she does, though. It's a really good fit, I think.

In other news, Flava Flav has accepted the part of Cinna, since Lenny Kravitz is unavailable during filming.

please tell me that is a joke.

Ka-mai
07-05-2012, 05:10 PM
:P Ricky, you're terrible.

Ricky
07-06-2012, 07:27 AM
:rofl:

FLAVVVAAA FLAAAAAAV

bounce0320
07-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I thought they were an easy read, finishing all 3 in a week. Kept me interested if nothing else. If anyone is interested, I will sell my trilogy for $25 (I read them carefully so there are pretty much as new). They are 1st editions, bought separately.

Ricky
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
It's official!

Philip Seymour Hoffman will play Plutarch Heavensbee in 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/09/philip-seymour-hoffman-plutarch-catching-fire/)

mystima
07-09-2012, 05:03 PM
when i read they had another announcement about a character i went to the yahoo news site thinking they were going to announce who Finnick was

Maturins_Daughter
07-09-2012, 06:07 PM
It's official!

Philip Seymour Hoffman will play Plutarch Heavensbee in 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/09/philip-seymour-hoffman-plutarch-catching-fire/)

Now that should be awesome!

I read the first two books. Passed on the third due to bad reviews. Then with the movie coming out, I figured 'what the hey!' and read the third one. It was actually a somewhat realistic ending (which is not what some folks look for in their fiction) :D

I enjoyed the movie for the most part, thought it followed the book pretty faithfully...but one thing I could NOT get past was the camera action!! I can't stand the jittery camera work that they used to let the audience know "ACTION IS HAPPENING!!! OMG!!! IT'S HEAVY DUTY ACTION!!!"... I just wanted them to pan back and let me SEE the action. But then, I'm an old fuddy duddy :D

Ricky
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the shaky cam either. I'm hoping the director for Catching Fire gets rid of that.

Ka-mai
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
:excited: Phillip Seymour Hoffman! Yay!

I think the first movie got enough negative reviews on the camera work that they will revise it... at least I hope so. You'd have to be an idiot to get that much negative press and not respond to it.

Brice
07-09-2012, 07:09 PM
The shaky camera trend is WAAAAAYYY overdone. It'd be fine if it were used very sporadically, but I just don't get the appeal of doing a whole movie in "thecameraman'shavingaseizure" mode.

On a happier note....I finished the series today. :D

Ricky
07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
What'd you think, Brice?

Jean
07-10-2012, 09:09 AM
The shaky camera trend is WAAAAAYYY overdone. It'd be fine if it were used very sporadically, but I just don't get the appeal of doing a whole movie in "thecameraman'shavingaseizure" mode.or, as my favorite director of all times put it, "as if the cameraman was masturbating"

blavigne
07-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I loved the premise of this story and overall the story itself was interesting. I read all three books so they hooked me enough to want to know what happened but they were obviously written for the "young adult" audience. Maybe that's just my age showing but overall the series left a lot lacking for me. I would have loved at least another one or two hundred pages for each of these books. I wanted so much more detail!! I also have to say this is the first time I have ever been drawn in so much by a story line and secondary characters that I have been able to overlook an extreme indifference to the main character. Katniss is, in my opinion, self centered, whiny and in general a huge pain in the butt and I don't even think that changed at the very end. It was kind of a bummer for me because I like my main characters to inspire passion in me, love or hate, I'm fine with it either way. Katniss plain out annoyed me. I really just wanted her to stop her puling for most of the story. Sorry to those that like her! But, again a number of the secondary characters really appealed to me, Haymitch being one of them. I haven't seen the movie yet but will get around to it soon. I do think they did a great job with casting in that the movie character's physical appearances match the way I imagined them. I can't wait to see Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland and Lenny Kravitz! I am not familiar with the younger actors but I am looking forward to checking them out too.

Ka-mai
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I would definitely read a Haymitch or Cinna book if she felt like writing spinoffs... although we kind of know how they end up, so the suspense would be gone. I would also like her to up the reading level by about 30 grades. :P

Ricky
07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
:lol:

I don't know, I kind of thought that the writing style/vocabulary was a nice break from the style of "adult" books.

Ricky
07-10-2012, 03:33 PM
'Mockingjay' to be split into two movies, release dates announced (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/10/mockingjay-split-release-dates/)

Brice
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
What'd you think, Brice?

I liked them.

My book reviews are fucking epic, huh?

Jean: :rofl:

Ricky
07-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I saw a book a couple weeks ago at Barnes and Noble. Something like "The World's Shortest Short Stories." I'm fairly confident you would do well with "The World's Shortest Book/Movie Reviews." :lol:

Brice
07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Yes, I could manage that.

Ricky
07-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Amazing what you can find on the Internet!

The Titanic Review
By: Brice Beede

The ship sunk. I liked it.

Schindler's List Review

Pretty sad. Good acting.

The Wizard of Oz Review

The songs were pretty cool.

Brice
07-10-2012, 04:11 PM
:rofl:

Oh, Wizard of OZ would have got a little better than that. One of my cousins was Ray Bolger. :D

Ka-mai
07-10-2012, 04:44 PM
One of my cousins was Ray Bolger. :D

GTFO.

It's pissing me off how ever since HP split the last book into two movies (which it needed to do!) every other damn series needs to do it because hey, profit. Hopefully this isn't like the Twilight one where they film people walking up stairs, playing chess and sleeping to fill the 2 hours. <_<

(Yes, I watched the new Twilight movie, and it was hilariously God-awful. I laughed til I cried.)

Ricky
07-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I'm all for more Hunger Games books, movies, whatever, but is a 2-parter Mockingjay really necessary? They could easily accomplish it as one, albeit long film. I think the book was...what, 390 pages? That's enough material to hopefully make a really strong film, but having a Part 2 makes me worried of filler.

Oh, and I found a real Hunger Games review by Brice!

The Hunger Games Review

The book's font was very well done. Effie's hair was very pink.

mystima
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
there is not enough material in Mockingjay to make two movies....what are they going to do split it where they blow up the mountain of soldiers.

Brice
07-11-2012, 08:34 AM
One of my cousins was Ray Bolger. :D

GTFO.

QUOTE]

*gets the fuck out*

Oh, and I found a real Hunger Games review by Brice!

The Hunger Games Review

The book's font was very well done. Effie's hair was very pink.

Actually the font was mediocre at best.

Ka-mai
07-11-2012, 02:06 PM
there is not enough material in Mockingjay to make two movies....what are they going to do split it where they blow up the mountain of soldiers.

If they show two hours of her shuffling about in a PTSD haze, they could pull it off. Because we all want to watch that.

Ricky
07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Actually, I hear that they're going to add sections of the Capitol chefs preparing the tributes' meals. Kind of like Iron Chef meets The Hunger Games.

Brice
07-12-2012, 12:01 AM
I am fine with this if they make it dinner theatre and feed us as we watch.

Ricky
07-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Amanda Plummer to play Wiress in 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/17/amanda-plummer-wiress-catching-fire-hunger-game/)

I hadn't even considered her for the part (I was hoping for Helena Bonham Carter) but think she could really pull it off!

Ka-mai
07-17-2012, 04:10 PM
I kind of pictured Wiress as older (I don't know why) but she looks great for the part.

Ricky
07-17-2012, 07:17 PM
So did I but I think they could fix that with makeup/prosthetics if they wanted to.

Ricky
07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Official: Jena Malone will play Johanna Mason in 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/23/official-jena-malone-catching-fire/)

I think it's a very good match. :thumbsup:

Ka-mai
07-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Me, too! She looks perfect.

Still can't wait to hear about Finnick... they'll probably cast him last to build suspense.

Ricky
07-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Last I heard, it seems like Sam Claflin is getting close to getting the role.

Ka-mai
07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Really? He's cute, but not Finnick. Not even close. Finnick is practically a Greek god.

Ka-mai
08-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, Sam Claflin got the role.

I have issues with this. He is not tan, he is not gorgeous, he is not Finnick!

Seriously, they're gonna have to send that kid to the beach for like a month before they shoot. I'm hoping I'm wrong on this and he turns out to be brilliant, but I'm not impressed at all right now. <_<

Ricky
08-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I really don't have any problems with him playing Finnick. Armie Hamer would've been my first choice, but Sam's a good second.

Ka-mai
08-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Probably because you're heterosexual. :P

(I think.)

I mean, he's good-looking, but he keeps having these stupid prissy smiles in all his photos... and he's not hot enough.

Odetta
08-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Sam Claflin got the role.

I have issues with this. He is not tan, he is not gorgeous, he is not Finnick!

Seriously, they're gonna have to send that kid to the beach for like a month before they shoot. I'm hoping I'm wrong on this and he turns out to be brilliant, but I'm not impressed at all right now. <_<

I AGREE! This cannot happen!

alkanto
08-26-2012, 08:20 AM
it might because of tumblr and crazy photoshopped graphics people have already made, but I really don't have a problem with him anymore. At first I was hesitant - Garret Hedlund was my first choice - but it's not like Sam's unatractive by any sense of the word. And movie makeup can do magical things...

Ka-mai
08-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Honestly, after the shaky-cam-fuckup of the first movie, I'm a lot less interested in the next movie.

Ricky
08-26-2012, 04:39 PM
The shaky-cam was pretty awful. Some parts worked, but mostly it was just a distraction. It seems like that was the director's choice, so I'm hoping the new director decides to get rid of that for Catching Fire.

alkanto
08-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I honestly didn't notice the shaky-cam that much....probably because I watched in on a plane :lol:

Ka-mai
08-28-2012, 03:08 PM
The camerawork was so distracting for me I found myself missing dialog. Between the shaky cam and the insane close-ups (which I found myself physically trying to pull back from) I was fairly unhappy when I left the theater.

Also Peeta's face annoys me. :lol:

alkanto
08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
I find Peeta attractive-ish when he's not blonde. The actual actor, Josh Hutcherson, is naturally brown-haired and that suits him much better!

mystima
01-10-2013, 01:30 AM
here is the cover of EW for Catching Fire

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/tUSAcYj4E7upuvE74by_kw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTUxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/blogs/movietalk/EW-1242-COVER-jpg_163212.jpg

Ka-mai
01-10-2013, 08:04 AM
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH THAT'S FINNICK?!

I am so disappointed right now.

sgc1999
01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
"Katniss and Finnick go to war"

in their underoos apparently:)

Ricky
01-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Yeah, doesn't really look like him to me. Oh well, maybe he'll act like him?

Ka-mai
01-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I doubt they'll have him doing pelvic thrusts in a PG-13. I really wish they had just made these movies R so they could actually put things in them instead of sugar-coating and shaking the camera around.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll be paying to see this in theaters. Maybe the $2 theater after everyone else has seen it.

mystima
09-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Juliane Moore to play president Coin? not sure about that....

Ricky
09-24-2013, 02:40 PM
I was hoping that she'd sign on once it was announced she was in talks for the part. Excited to see what she does with the role.