PDA

View Full Version : Joe Hill

CyberGhostface
12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I finished Heart-Shaped Box a while back and now I'm reading 20th Century Ghosts, both of which I have enjoyed a lot. I don't want to compare him to his old man just yet, but I will say that I've liked them a lot better than most of King's more recent stuff.

Matt
12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
He reminds me of a kind of updated version. Where one of Kings characters might say "groovy", his all say "fuck yeah!" :lol:

I just finished Heart Shaped Box--liked it a lot.

ManOfWesternesse
12-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I was extremely impressed with Heart Shaped Box.

Heather19
12-07-2007, 03:58 PM
How's 20th Century Ghosts? I've been wanting to read that one for awhile now.

CyberGhostface
12-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Haven't finished it yet, but so far its very good.

Patrick
12-07-2007, 04:42 PM
20thCG is a great book of short stories!

Matt
12-07-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm just really impressed with the way he writes, it stands alone really well but you can kind of see the face of his father.

Can you imagine his childhood? I bet it was wild, wonderful and full of imagination. Plus love of course.

Very good book and...I really loved the door at the end, it always comes back to doors

Patrick
12-07-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm just really impressed with the way he writes, it stands alone really well but you can kind of see the face of his father.

Can you imagine his childhood? I bet it was wild, wonderful and full of imagination. Plus love of course.

Very good book and...I really loved the door at the end, it always comes back to doors

Yeah, I definitely felt the family connection during parts of HEART-SHAPED BOX, especially during that scene.

NeedfulKings
12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
I've only read HSB and loved it. I think he's got a very nice "voice" when he writes and maybe he is a chip off the old block, but he's still a natural.

I'm waiting for my copy of 20CG -- it's in the mail!

Matt
12-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Its just really like a shadow of his dad. Like the same way a kid kind of sounds like his dad, through inflection.

I didn't feel like it was a story SK would write, not in a bad way--just that it wouldn't be his story. Joe did an amazing job with a really original idea imo.

NeedfulKings
12-18-2007, 03:17 PM
True. Althought SK's written ghost stories, I can't equate this to anything he did.

I got the serious chills the first time Craddock (sp) was spotted in the house.

Matt
12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
I did too. I remember coming home that night and telling Dora "ummm...this book is scary"

I also took it to Missouri when I went and listened to it in the rental on the way from Saint Louis. Driving all day long, tired as hell and I still sat in the parking lot for 20 minutes listening because it was too intense. :lol:

NeedfulKings
12-18-2007, 03:31 PM
I love a good scare. Any book can gross me out, but it's the little things that crawl under your skin that really make a book good!!! :)

Sai Joshua
12-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I read a little bit of "Heart Shaped Box" while I was waiting on my GF in Walmart one day.It was a pretty good read, the 30 or so pages I read. Now I can't find it. On a related subject, do you think he could play King if they make a Dark Tower movie in order to make him a little younger? I think he looks a lot like his dad, especially with a beard.

Darkthoughts
12-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Hmm, yeah - that'd be a good shout!

CyberGhostface
12-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I suppose if Joe Hill were to agree he'd be a good choice, but he's always been one to distance himself from his father.

Darkthoughts
12-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Joshua, pick HSB back up if you can get another copy though, it's excellent!!

Have you read it Cyber?

CyberGhostface
12-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, its great. He's also doing a comicbook miniseries called Locke and Key in January or February.

Darkthoughts
12-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Duh! How ignorant!! Theres your post at the top of the page saying you've read it :lol: Cry pardon :D

So much cool stuff to look forward to in 2008!!!

Heather19
12-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Just got 20th Century Ghosts for a present yesterday! I'll probably start on it next.

herbertwest
12-26-2007, 03:10 PM
want to get it !

Matt
12-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I have it but can't read it because its my precious signed edition. :ninja:

Darkthoughts
12-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Mine's signed and numbered, but I read it anyway. I shan't ever be selling it :D

funky dredd
12-27-2007, 06:02 AM
I got heart shaped box for christmas. I was going to start it last night but my wife had other plans :D

Brice
12-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Mine's signed and numbered, but I read it anyway. I shan't ever be selling it :D

Which? The one signed by Joe or the one signed by Christopher Golden and him? I have both of the UK limited hardcovers and I've read both. I read every book I own at least once.

I have it but can't read it because its my precious signed edition. :ninja:

Just be careful with it. You should definitely read it. You could always get the cheaper trade edition.

Matt
12-27-2007, 08:27 AM
The cheaper trade edition is my plan :ninja:

Brice
12-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I'd read the limited myself (although carefully). Which do you have?

Matt
12-27-2007, 09:55 AM
I'd have to look at home. Jerome sent it to me and all I could see was the great signature in there.

"To Matt--From Joe Hill"

I got the vapors at that point. :lol:

Brice
12-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Oh, it was personalized. Awesome! :cool: I have a personalized Heart Shaped Box that Patrick sent me awhile back. :)

Darkthoughts
12-27-2007, 11:34 AM

Which? The one signed by Joe or the one signed by Christopher Golden and him? I have both of the UK limited hardcovers and I've read both. I read every book I own at least once.
UK hardback in a slipcase:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_016.jpg

Brice
12-27-2007, 12:00 PM

UK hardback in a slipcase:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_016.jpg

I have that. :D Well, mine's got a different number, but you know what I mean. :lol:

Nah, I thought you were saying you got the 20th Century Ghost cause that book was being discussed right before you said yours was signed and numbered. I thought you'd maybe got one of them also. I remember you telling me you got the HSB.

Darkthoughts
12-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Ahh! I see, no I've yet to get 20th Century Ghost in any edition - I'll probably go for the signed and/or numbered if I can get it :thumbsup:

Brice
12-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Ahh! I see, no I've yet to get 20th Century Ghost in any edition - I'll probably go for the signed and/or numbered if I can get it :thumbsup:

There are two s/n in the UK. One signed by Joe Hill and one signed by Joe Hill and Christopher Golden (who did the introduction). There were I believe 500 of the former and 200 of the latter. The latter has 2 extra stories and story notes on each of the stories and a slipcase. I have both. If you'd like to see them they are posted in my collection thread although I'm sure they are in this thread or the other Joe Hill thread somewhere also.

Darkthoughts
12-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Cool - I'll check that out :thumbsup:

Patrick
12-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I read my signed inscribed copy of the UK paperback of 20thCG. At the time, it was the only trade version available and I'll never sell a personally inscribed signed book anyway. Like Brice said, just handle 'em carefully if you read 'em.

Matt
12-28-2007, 01:38 PM
You guys may have talked me into it here. :lol:

Patrick
12-28-2007, 01:41 PM
just don't crease the spine or fold the corners of the pages. :doh: :lol:

Heather19
01-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Just finished 20th Century Ghosts. I really enjoyed it, he's a great writer. I'm going to have to pick up Heart Shaped Box now when I get a chance.

Darkthoughts
01-21-2008, 01:25 AM
You definately should, Heather - its brilliant!!

funky dredd
01-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes, definitely pick it up and read it. I just got done reading it and am now ready to pick up 20th Century Ghosts. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow when I pick up Duma Key!!

jayson
01-21-2008, 01:55 PM
I plan on picking up 20th Cent. Ghosts at the bookstore tomorrow when I grab Duma Key.

Heather19
01-21-2008, 01:56 PM
It's definately worth a read. I'm sure you'll both enjoy it.

Brice
01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I read my signed inscribed copy of the UK paperback of 20thCG. At the time, it was the only trade version available and I'll never sell a personally inscribed signed book anyway. Like Brice said, just handle 'em carefully if you read 'em.

I actually read my 1/500 copy (because I didn't have the trade) then I read the two extra stories from the 1/200. I bent the spines until both covers touched and folded the corners of every page...is that bad? :unsure:

Patrick
01-21-2008, 11:51 PM

I actually read my 1/500 copy (because I didn't have the trade) then I read the two extra stories from the 1/200. I bent the spines until both covers touched and folded the corners of every page...is that bad? :unsure:

:panic: :onfire:

No you di'int.

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I used to work with a guy named Joe Hill... now every time he comes to my work place, he calls me "My Liz" and beautiful and blows kisses at me...

meggmopp
01-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Hello,
Heart Shaped Box is the second book of my life to give me nightmares.
The first was Salem's Lot, all those years ago.

Brice
01-29-2008, 07:29 AM

:panic: :onfire:

No you di'int.

:rofl: Well, okay, I didn't do the bolded part. I somehow just knew that would get someone's attention though. There was 0 chance of that going by unnoticed around here. :lol:

Matt
01-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello,
Heart Shaped Box is the second book of my life to give me nightmares.
The first was Salem's Lot, all those years ago.

I got the best scare I have had in a long time from that book too. :panic:

MonteGss
01-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Me too actually. I read Heart and Bag of Bones actually in the same week. There were some creepy moments when the lights were turned off each night.

Heather19
04-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Finally got around to reading Heart Shaped Box. I really enjoyed it, and there were definately some creepy moments in it. For those that haven't read it yet, I would recommend checking it out.

Duck
07-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Just finished Heart Shaped Box.:scared:

I only found out about this book and the fact King's son was a writer when I joined this forum and someone recommended it on the "what are you reading" thread.

I ordered it and gave it to my wife to read first (Stephen King fanatic) but didn't tell her Joe had anything to do with her favourite author. About 100 pages in she goes "this guy must be the illegitimate son of Stephen King".:)

Have to say, a great read, fast paced from the off and genuinely creepy in parts when the ghost first appears.

Will definitely be ordering 20th Century Ghosts.

The Lady of Shadows
07-20-2008, 07:34 PM
have read them both. enjoyed 20thCG so much that i ordered it as an audiobook. pop art just about wrecked me in audio format though. :cry:

Heather19
07-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Pop Art is one of my favorites!

taheen74
10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Heart Shaped Box actually scared me a little; which is something his dear, old dad hasn't done in years. Wish King would go back to his old former style (the last book that King wrote <aside from the DT series> that I actually liked was Blaze).

MonteGss
10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Heart scared me too. I read most of it just before going to bed each night..with only a bedside light on. Creepy. I agree partially with your other statement too...King hasn't scared me too often (still my fav writer though).

Jean
10-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I am reading Heart-Shaped Box now, and am almost totally unimpressed. Sometimes it is a little scary... but that's about it. I'll post when it's over... at last.

I am still happy to have it, because it's Lady Linda's! It's like I am hugging her every time I take the book, and it's a great redeeming feature.

Nerak
10-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Boo on you bear! I thought it was a very well written and thought provoking story. And it scared the bejesus out of me at times! :lol:

Jean
10-01-2008, 08:11 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Misc/bear_closedEyes.jpg

Daghain
10-01-2008, 08:22 AM
I really liked Heart Shaped Box. It did have that scary quality I miss in some of King's work (still a huge King fan though!)

I have 20th Century Ghosts but haven't gotten to it yet.

Nerak
10-01-2008, 08:24 AM
It's ok, Jean, I still love you! :couple:

Brice
10-01-2008, 08:25 AM
I really liked Heart Shaped Box. It did have that scary quality I miss in some of King's work (still a huge King fan though!)

I have 20th Century Ghosts but haven't gotten to it yet.

You should put everything else aside and get to it like now. :)

alinda
10-01-2008, 08:26 AM
I am reading Heart-Shaped Box now, and am almost totally unimpressed. Sometimes it is a little scary... but that's about it. I'll post when it's over... at last.

I am still happy to have it, because it's Lady Linda's! It's like I am hugging her every time I take the book, and it's a great redeeming feature.

*Kiss*
I do hope it grows on you !

Jackie
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
I read Heart Shaped Box last summer and it was really good, I loved it. I eventually want to read 20th Century Ghosts, how is it?/What is it about? [sorry if thats a dumb question,I know it's painfully obvious that it's about ghosts]

Brice
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I read Heart Shaped Box last summer and it was really good, I loved it. I eventually want to read 20th Century Ghosts, how is it?/What is it about? [sorry if thats a dumb question,I know it's painfully obvious that it's about ghosts]

It's not. It's a VERY good short story collection.

Jackie
10-01-2008, 08:57 AM

It's not. It's a VERY good short story collection.

Oh?, Really? I never knew it was short stories, I'll have to get right on that! :)

Heather19
10-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I enjoyed Heart Shaped Box, however I didn't find it to be scary at all, except for maybe one scene. But then again I don't really scare too easily.
Also 20th Century Ghosts was fantastic, and I enjoyed it alot more than Heart Shaped Box. There are really some wonderful little stories in there.

Heather19
01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Anyone know when the next installments of Locke & Key are coming out?

MonteGss
01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
This past Wednesday. :)
It's good.

Heather19
01-16-2009, 03:13 PM
oh such good news! I've been dying to read the next part.

Myste
10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I really enjoyed "Heart Shaped Box". And right now I'm reading "20th Century Ghosts".

Patrick
10-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Just wanted to give Hill fans a heads up: Joe's new book, HORNS, went on sale this morning with PS Publishing. There are two signed limited versions of it.

I don't want to derail this book discussion thread by talking about a collectible version of a book that none of us has read yet, so please see the Joe Hill thread in Calvin's Corner if you're interested.

Myste
10-12-2009, 08:58 AM
:clap:

Now just have to wait for the finnish translation... (of course I could read in english too, but I prefer to read Important books in my native language first) and that could take a while. But luckily I have plenty of books to read before that.

nocny
11-28-2009, 06:10 AM
I just finished 20th Century Ghosts.
I think it is better than 'After The Sunset' :)
First 3 stories are really realy great and Pop Art is one of the best short stories I ever read!
If you didn't read this book yet, you HAVE TO!

Jean
11-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I just finished 20th Century Ghosts.
I think it is better than 'After The Sunset' :)
A lot better. Beyond compare, in fact.

My favorite stories are:

Bobby Conroy Comes Back From The Dead
My Father's Mask
The Widow's Breakfast
In The Rundown
"Best New Horror"
Better Than Home

nocny
11-28-2009, 03:17 PM
And where is Pop Art??? :unsure: ;)

MonteGss
11-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Joe Hill is so much better than his dad at the short stories. I'm actually dreading my read of Sunset, I'm avoiding it because his other collections were so bad. I can't think of a single story in 20th Century that I did not enjoy.

I'm really looking forward to Horns!

Jean
11-28-2009, 11:47 PM
And where is Pop Art??? :unsure: ;)
I liked it, quite a lot, but I liked those I listed more that that...

alinda
11-29-2009, 05:25 AM
I havent read it at all......Jean do you have this in a format you can share? :huglove:

Jean
11-29-2009, 05:38 AM
No... it's a book... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

Joe Hill is so much better than his dad at the short stories. I'm actually dreading my read of Sunset, I'm avoiding it because his other collections were so bad. I can't think of a single story in 20th Century that I did not enjoy.
I can think of a few that I only marginally liked, but not a single one I didn't like at all.

Also, I agree with you about Joe Hill's father's short stories; afraid there's only two of us in the whole universe who are of this opinion. Anyway, I can tell you that to my personal taste JAS is a lot worse than anything you've read by King so far; in other collections there were some passable stories, and occasionally some good ones; here, none.

alinda
11-29-2009, 06:04 AM
Ahh well, maybe I can buy it.:couple:

Patrick
11-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Ahh well, maybe I can buy it.:couple:

Linda, you can get the paperback on eBay for as low as $5 including shipping:

20th Century Ghosts (http://cgi.ebay.com/20th-Century-Ghosts-Joe-Hill-New-Book_W0QQitemZ300368645759QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item45ef5dce7f)

As a general rule, I always enjoy Stephen King's short stories, however (so far based on his smaller body of work) I absolutely love Joe Hill's short stories.

MonteGss
11-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I can think of a few that I only marginally liked, but not a single one I didn't like at all.

Also, I agree with you about Joe Hill's father's short stories; afraid there's only two of us in the whole universe who are of this opinion. Anyway, I can tell you that to my personal taste JAS is a lot worse than anything you've read by King so far; in other collections there were some passable stories, and occasionally some good ones; here, none.

Well, thanks Jean, now I'm really looking forward to it. :lol:

Oh and I don't think we're alone in thinking Joe is a better short story writer than his dad. I've met many others that think the same.

Brice
11-30-2009, 08:48 PM
I've actually always loved King's short stories, but Joe is phenomenal.

MonteGss
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM

I guess I can still like you. You watch yourself Brice, you treading on thin ice now.

:lol:

Tito_Villa
12-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Going to start reading Horns later, really looking forward to it!

Brice
12-01-2009, 05:27 AM

I guess I can still like you. You watch yourself Brice, you treading on thin ice now.

...and now so are you, heathen. <_<

Tito_Villa
12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Im now over half way through Horns and i have to say what a great book it is so far!

Brice
12-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Please don't take this too personally, but I hate you just a little for getting to read it before me.

Tito_Villa
12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Thats ok lol i am thinking of selling the proof after i have done reading it (very carefully ofcourse) because i have 2!

gsvec
12-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Dibs! :D

Nerak
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
I read it a couple of months ago and liked it alot! Can't wait to read it again

cody44
12-07-2009, 10:41 AM
I've been reading 20th Century Ghosts, and its a fabulous collection so far. I just finished The Black Phone, and I think it may be my favorite in the collection so far. Although I did enjoy Pop Art tremendously. The only story I actually disliked was You Will Hear The Locust Sing.

Got some more reading to do. :clap:

Jean
12-07-2009, 11:49 AM
The only story I actually disliked was You Will Hear The Locust Sing.
So did bears.

cody44
12-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one Jean. If you could only pick one story out of this collection, which would you take?

Jean
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
No, no, please, not one! Here are my very favorites:

Bobby Conroy Comes Back From The Dead
My Father's Mask
The Widow's Breakfast
In The Rundown
"Best New Horror"
Better Than Home

- well, if it was necessary to name one, right now it would be Bobby Conroy Comes Back From The Dead, but as it is often the case with really good collections, the one very favorite is different depending on one's current state of mind (only a couple of months ago it was My Father's Mask... and it is In The Rundown or The Widow's Breakfast more often than I would consider desirable) ... thus, it may shift, but, I suppose, always stay one of those 6.

scottish_rogue
12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Heart Shaped Box was a good read for me as well. I liked the whole idea of the story because I am really into metal and rock and it caught my eye when I saw what the book was about. It was one of those books that felt like it was over too soon because I was so into it and read it quickly.

Tito_Villa
12-09-2009, 02:16 AM
I finished Horns last night and it was a great book, i think i liked it more than Heart Shaped Box aswell and i loved that book. Very difficult not to give away what goes on, but everyone is in for a real treat imo.

Can't wait to read 20th Century Ghosts now!

Brice
12-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Oh, you haven't read that yet. In that case YOU are in for a real treat as it is WAY better than HSB...which I too loved.

Jean
12-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Hear, hear.

<- didn't like HSB at all
<- is madly in love with 20'sCG

darkdiscoveries
07-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I really liked Hill's collection 20th Century Ghosts and his novels Heart Shaped Box and Horns were pretty good too. I think he's a better short story writer than novelist at this point, but seems to continue to improve.

He's a super cool guy too and looks a lot like his dad (and sounds like him quite a bit too). I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to him at a signing at Powell's books in Portland, Or. a couple of months ago. He had done an interview for me for Dark Discoveries in 2008 (Issue #11) and it was nice to finally meet him in person. He also signed a few copies of his issue for me (sorry all sold out now!) and his books I had. He loved our Forrest J. Ackerman Special too with an EC-influenced cover.

- James
http://www.darkdiscoveries.com

Jean
07-05-2010, 05:07 AM
<...> I think he's a better short story writer than novelist at this point<...>
Bears think the same.

Brice
07-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Though I like his novels I agree. He is a damn good short story writer.

douglasesper
08-01-2010, 05:39 PM
has anyone else caught: the shout out to jude coyne from heart shaped box in the book Horns?

i thought it was a great touch to tie the two books together.
douglas esper

Ricky
03-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Shia LaBeouf Grows Horns
Source: Variety March 17, 2011

It's been some time since we first learned that Mandalay Pictures was developing a film based on the Joe Hill novel, Horns. Today, Variety offers an update on the project, suggesting that not only is the film moving forward, but that it's going to do so with Shia LaBeouf in the lead.

The novel, released last year, is a horror love story about young man named Ig Perrish who wakes up one day to find that horns have grown from his head. What's more, they're still growing and are somehow tied to the unsolved murder of his girlfriend.

LaBeouf, who appears this summer in Transformers: Dark of the Moon, will play the part of Perrish.

Hill, the son of horror legend Stephen King, is also the creative force behind the upcoming Fox television series "Locke and Key."

I don't think they could have made a weaker casting decision. :arg:

Tito_Villa
03-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Yeah i'm not sure about that, i thought Ig might have been someone a little grittier!?

Nerak
03-17-2011, 08:24 AM
that is so wrong it's not even funny!!! Come on people! Use some imagination!!!!

Ricky
03-17-2011, 08:31 AM
I agree. He just doesn't look the part to me at all. It's almost as bad if he were to be cast as Roland.

Merlin1958
03-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Actually, (As he ducks cans and bottles being tossed at him) I think he could do a rather nice jod with it. Remember that flick, what was it "Suburbia"? While the film blew he was kinda good in that "Iggy" sota role.

Nerak
03-18-2011, 07:10 AM
but in my mind Ig is like 6 foot something, lanky and goofy...that is NOT Shia!!!

Tito_Villa
03-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Exactly my thoughts!

Ricky
03-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Same here.

onlylivingboyinny
01-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Just read Locke & Key volume 1, LOVED it.

WeDealInLead
01-05-2012, 12:47 PM
It only gets better.

Jean
09-29-2012, 10:12 AM
<...> I think he's a better short story writer than novelist at this point<...>
Bears think the same.

Though I like his novels I agree. He is a damn good short story writer.

Have read Horns, and have to apologize to Mr.Hill for what I said before.

To say it is better than Heart-Shaped Box is to say nothing. They are in entirely different leagues. I yawned through HSB, which seemed to me very mediocre, trivial, altogether unsatisfactory; I loved every word of Horns, with the single exception of

the cancer twist, which is stupid and false.

I had thought nothing could be better than his short stories; that, at least, is true, - but the novel is totally on their level, a direct heir to such gems as In the Rundown, The Widow's Breakfast and My Father's Mask. It's once again his unique voice that speaks of things only he can express.

Dan
10-15-2012, 05:36 PM
My newest purchase, thanks to Betts!

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/c03c73674c236c961d3a0c1a66589c4b.jpg

Ben Staad
10-16-2012, 03:52 AM
"...I had thought nothing could be better than his short stories." "..It's once again his unique voice that speaks of things only he can express."

20th Century Ghosts is an outstanding collection which re-ignited my passion for literature (cheesy but true). I'm not sure if it was just the "right book at the right time" or what but a number of those stories have stuck with me and it's been at least 1 to 2 years since I've read them. I enjoy his novels, and yes the have a distinctive voice, however they feel like they are missing something. I do think Horns is his best novel to date though.

My newest purchase, thanks to Betts!

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/c03c73674c236c961d3a0c1a66589c4b.jpg

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Bev Vincent
10-30-2014, 10:47 AM
In the NY Times: Peering Into the Darkness (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/peering-into-the-darkness/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1) by Joe Hill

cit74
10-30-2014, 07:07 PM
In the NY Times: Peering Into the Darkness (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/peering-into-the-darkness/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1) by Joe Hill

Very nice - and I like that he referenced one of his favorite authors - Neil Gaiman - when he mentioned the Graveyard Book:

A recent Newbery-Medal-winning novel follows the adventures of a boy who spends his entire childhood in a cemetery, where he is looked after by ghosts, ghouls and a vampire. This is after his birth parents are knifed to death in chapter one. Just a little light entertainment for the kiddies

SystemCrashOverRide
12-02-2014, 07:17 AM
I'm looking for UK 1st's of Joe's books, N0S4R2, Horns, Heart Shaped Box, 20th Century ghosts. They don't have to be signed, limited, or special in any way. Please shoot me a PM if you have any.

Bev Vincent
01-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Fox Ignites Deal For Joe Hill Novel ‘The Fireman’; Louis Leterrier Attached To Direct (http://deadline.com/2016/01/joe-hill-the-fireman-louis-leterrier-fox-nos4a2-1201678655/)

Bev Vincent
02-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Joe Hill's 'Darkside' moves from TV to comics (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/02/19/exclusive-joe-hill-tales-from-the-darkside-comic-book/80623036/)

cit74
02-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Joe Hill's 'Darkside' moves from TV to comics (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/02/19/exclusive-joe-hill-tales-from-the-darkside-comic-book/80623036/)

Cannot wait for this - actually i guess I will have to wait - since I won't be getting the individual comics - waiting until they put the wholes series together in HC book

Bev Vincent
11-06-2017, 10:55 AM
GQ profile: How Do You Write a Horror Novel When Your Dad Is Stephen King? (https://www.gq.com/story/joe-hill-stephen-king-profile)

mikeC
01-18-2018, 07:06 AM
I just don't get the point of the Loaded story. This will be a long sad slog for people that think the same way and he won't convert anyone to thinking the same way.
It's just sad and pointless just like real shootings.

dnemec
01-18-2018, 08:12 AM
I just don't get the point of the Loaded story. This will be a long sad slog for people that think the same way and he won't convert anyone to thinking the same way.

I love JH, but I agree. That story just sounded like a long news reel. Definitely my least favorite of the bunch. I almost wanted to stop reading at that point. I really liked Snapshots and Aloft though!

Brian861
01-18-2018, 09:27 PM

SW is up next on my TBLT list. Will be interesting to see if we share the same opinion.

CyberGhostface
01-19-2018, 05:20 AM
I thought 'Loaded' was the strongest of the bunch. Few parts were genuinely shocking.

mikeC
01-19-2018, 06:16 AM
I thought 'Loaded' was the strongest of the bunch. Few parts were genuinely shocking.

Can you elaborate please? I mean the ending was a little shocking but to me it was kind of cookie cutter. I guess in my head things like this can and do happen all the time so to read a really long death march story is kind of a waste.

But did you like it?

CyberGhostface
01-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Well for example him accidentally killing his son took me for a loop, and I didn't expect it to end with the protagonist and her daughter about to be killed in such a fashion.

I thought it was good overall. The first two stories I liked, the second two stories I found to be so-so.

WeDealInLead
01-19-2018, 06:49 AM
Agreed. Loaded was very Bachmanesque. The strongest story for me too. The fact that this had/could happen again makes it even more terrifying.

mikeC
01-19-2018, 07:17 AM
Well for example him accidentally killing his son took me for a loop, and I didn't expect it to end with the protagonist and her daughter about to be killed in such a fashion.

I thought it was good overall. The first two stories I liked, the second two stories I found to be so-so.

Oh yea those 2 things were shocking. I hope I don't sound like a dick, I was just thinking the whole time "why am I listening to this? Everything is shitty why read a story about everything being shitty" I just lean towards supernatural stuff bc that interests me more than reality. More Cape less Thumbprint. I'm halfway through Aloft and I love it.