PDA

View Full Version : The Ten O'Clock People adaptation

mae
06-06-2012, 09:12 AM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/fright-night-director-to-adapt-stephen-kings-ten-oclock-people/

The original Fright Night director Tom Holland is no stranger to the works of horror master Stephen King. The two collaborated back in the 90s, most notably on the TV series "The Langoliers" and the film Thinner, both of which Holland directed. As a matter of fact, 1996's Thinner was Holland's last theatrical feature, but now Deadline reports that he'll be returning to the big screen to adapt yet another King short story, The Ten O'Clock People. The story is about Brandon Pearson (no relation), a man who tries to quit smoking and learns a ton of high-ranking officials, including the Vice President, are inhuman monsters.

The interesting thing about this story is that only people who are trying to quit smoking can see the truth, thanks to a unique chemical imbalance in their bodies. He and his fellow "ten o'clock people," folks who also used to take a morning smoke break, have to stand their ground against these monsters when they find out they've been discovered. Sounds a bit like John Carpenter's They Live, and Holland calls the upcoming modernized version "a paranoid suspense piece," so it'll be interesting to see the similarities and differences in these two properties as The Ten O'Clock People comes together. Filming starts this summer, so we can expect a release sometime in 2013, but first we need a cast, so stay tuned. Intrigued?

mystima
06-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Sounds really cool....I remember reading that when it came out...was fascinated by that story because at the time I was trying to quit...lol

Brice
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
and you learned how evil everyone is when you did, right?

Brainslinger
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure I've ever read that! I've rest most King stuff, but I think I might have missed some short stories.

mae
06-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure I've ever read that! I've rest most King stuff, but I think I might have missed some short stories.

It's in Nightmares & Dreamscapes.

mtdman
06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
The story reminds me of the movie They Live!

mae
07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/justin-long-in-talks-to-lead-stephen-kings-the-ten-oclock-people/

Last month we learned that the original Fright Night director Tom Holland was returning to feature film directing for the first time since 1996 with an adaptation of the Stephen King short story, The Ten O'Clock People. King and Holland collaborated back in the 90s, most notably on the TV series "The Langoliers" and the film Thinner (Holland's last big screen work), so this is quite an interesting team-up to see over 16 years later. Now Deadline reports casting is already underway for the film with Justin Long, who has seen horror action in Drag Me to Hell and Jeepers Creepers, in talks to take the lead role at this time. Read on!

Long will play Brandon Pearson, a man who tries to quit smoking and learns several high-ranking officials, including the Vice President, are inhuman monsters. Only people who are trying to quit smoking can see the truth, thanks to a unique chemical imbalance in their bodies, and now Ben and his fellow "ten o'clock people" (named for those who take a morning smoke break), have to stand their ground against these monsters when they find out they've been discovered. It's not clear how a modern take on the story will change things up a bit, but it's certainly an intriguing concept, and Long is the perfect everyman to get caught up in a strange situation like this.

mae
07-27-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rachel-nichols-stephen-king-ten-oclock-people-355055

Rachel Nichols is in negotiations to join Justin Long in Stephen King's The Ten O'Clock People.

The adaptation of King's short story, first published in Nightmares and Dreamscapes in 1993, is being directed by Tom Holland. Holland, a 1980s horror maven who wrote and directed Fright Night and Child's Play, previously tackled King’s Thinner and The Langoliers.

The story centers on a man who, when attempting to kick his smoking habit, has his eyes opened to a frightening reality in which many people in authority are monsters. He joins a group of others like him called the Ten O’Clock People.

Nichols would play a woman who, like the man, can see a horrible aspect of reality, hidden in plain sight.

Nathaniel Kramer and E.J. Meyers are producing.

Nichols, repped by UTA, played Scarlett in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and was the female lead in last year’s Conan the Barbarian.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Interesting, I just coincidentally happen to be rereading N & D right now, and happen to be on this story.

Ari_Racing
05-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Chris Evans In Talks To Become One Of The Ten O’Clock People

Stephen King’s cinematic universe has got a busy year ahead. Under The Dome lands on our TV screens this summer, feature-length Cell has bagged John Cusack and now The Ten O’Clock People might have secured a lead. Chris Evans, aka Captain America is now in talks to take the lead in this latest King feature.

The project was announced last year. Those last twelve months have seen the film gain and then lose Justin Long, who dropped out of the project due to scheduling conflicts. Should Evans sign on, he’d assume the role of Brandon Pearson. A smoker, Pearson tries to quit for the good of his health. In the process of quitting, he discovers a terrible secret: people in positions of power are actually revolting monsters in disguise. Due to a chemical imbalance caused only when he has a cigarette on his morning break (hence the title) he is gifted with the ability to witness people’s true visages.

They Live immediately springs to mind when surveying the premise. Sure, no one smoked in that film to see the true horror lurking behind the faces of strangers, but the idea is eerily similar.

Based on King’s short story of the same name from his Nightmares And Dreamscapes collection, Tom Holland signed on last summer to direct. He’s in his element with another King adaptation, as he has twice collaborated with the author. He penned and directed Thinner and the made-for-TV, The Langoliers. They’re not the finest examples of King’s writing brought to the screen, but they’re not the worst either (Maximum Overdrive, anyone?) He has however got two genre classics on his resume – Child’s Play and the original Fright Night were both written and directed by him.

Expect a confirmation over Evans’ role and further casting announcements, as The Ten O’Clock People is set to shoot this autumn in Atlanta.

Source: http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/chris-evans-circling-stephen-king-the-ten-oclock-people/

Bryant Burnette
05-19-2013, 04:27 PM
I utterly loathe both of Tom Holland's previous King adaptations, so he's gonna have to really up his game with this one to impress me.

Chris Evans ain't a bad start, I guess. Hopefully he'll fight the aliens with a shield of some sort. I suggest one made from vibranium.

mae
02-07-2014, 06:22 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jay-baruchel-star-stephen-king-678109

Jay Baruchel has signed on to star in and executive produce the film adaptation of Stephen King's short story The Ten O’Clock People.

Tom Holland, the horrormeister behind Fright Night and Child’s Play, wrote the script and will direct the chiller, which is eyeing a June start in Baruchel’s hometown of Montreal.

Pascal Borno and Scott Karol's Conquistador Entertainment will be selling the project at the Berlin’s EFM.

The story tells of a smoker (Baruchel) who returns to his old habit with a cessation drug still in his system, triggering a side effect that reveals a frightening reality in which many people in authority are monsters.

The Ten O’Clock People first appeared in King's 1993 horror collection Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Holland has been developing the project for a while and it almost came together several years ago with Justin Long and Rachel Nichols.

Industry veteran Don Carmody is producing. (Carmody produced Baruchel’s hockey comedy Goon and recently worked on Mortal Instruments and Pompeii.)

Baruchel is exec producing with Borno, Karol, E.J. Meyers and Nathaniel Kramer.

Baruchel starred in last year’s acclaimed comedy This Is The End and next appears with Joel Kinnaman and Michael Keaton in Robocop, which opens February 14. He voicestars in How to Train Your Dragon 2, opening June 13, and is writing Goon 2.

He also just signed on to star in FX’s comedy pilot Man Seeking Woman.

Baruchel is repped by CAA, Thruline Entertainment and Lichter Grossman.

mae
08-09-2017, 06:32 AM
This came out a little while ago and it's a very small news item with no real details but I thought I'd share anyway, just in case:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/242562/multiple-stephen-king-projects-announced-film-tv-stage/

Next is “The Ten O’Clock People,” a short story that is being optioned as an English-language TV series that will be aired in Europe.

herbertwest
01-02-2018, 04:53 AM
Would like to see this one :)