PDA

View Full Version : Kinda New To TDTS

Psychotic-Vixen
04-28-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm an avid reader/collector of Stephen King. I own 45 of his books so far and plan on owning them all but my Question is this.

I do not have all the dark tower series I have brought the new one- Wind Through The Keyhole. But i'm not sure if i should read it or wait until i get the rest of the books? I believe I have books # 6,7,& 9 so it would probably be confusing for me to read without reading #1.

Does anyone know where i could buy the boxed set of TDTS?

TowerJunkie19
04-28-2012, 07:53 AM
IMO I think it would be better to read the rest of the books first, or at least the first 3 or 4, just so you have a better understanding of the characters themselves. Also, if you plan on reading them all anyway I think reading TWTTK first gives away some spoilers to the rest of the series.

And if you want to go the cheap way, and just get paperbacks to read then Amazon is probably your best bet, or ebay.

Here's one amazon link I just looked up. You might be able to find it cheaper else where. http://www.amazon.com/Complete-7-Volume-Paperbacks-Contains-Gunslinger/dp/B002VIN7PY/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A2WLBKW9QQMEB1

Good luck, though! Can't wait for you to read them and join the rest of the junkies around here :). I'm sure most of us would love to see pictures of your collection! But, welcome and post often!

Shannon
04-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Naturally, start with book one of the series. Be warned, it kinda throws you right in the middle of the story without helping you out to much with the info. I didn't care for it, otheres didn't care for it, for some people like it. Stick with it.

Just look for supercheap individual paperback copies on eBay. No need to spend $60 for the series on paperback.

Merlin1958
04-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Naturally, start with book one of the series. Be warned, it kinda throws you right in the middle of the story without helping you out to much with the info. I didn't care for it, otheres didn't care for it, for some people like it. Stick with it.

Just look for supercheap individual paperback copies on eBay. No need to spend $60 for the series on paperback.

I found the "Thrown into it" aspect kinda cool, but of course to each his own. Otherwise Shannon gives some very sage advice!!! TDOTT (DTII) is where it really cranks up, IMHO

Brice
04-28-2012, 04:31 PM
I absolutely loved the gunslinger from the first sentence. Having read the story some 30 or so times now; I am heavily biased. My bias also leans me toward the original text; it being what I found first. As for reading order. I don't know...TWTTK kinda stands alone I think. Wait or don't. It's all preference, imo. I totally agree with Bill regarding the story cranking up around book two (which was actually the one I read first). This is where the real action begins. :)

Merlin1958
04-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm an avid reader/collector of Stephen King. I own 45 of his books so far and plan on owning them all but my Question is this.

I do not have all the dark tower series I have brought the new one- Wind Through The Keyhole. But i'm not sure if i should read it or wait until i get the rest of the books? I believe I have books # 6,7,& 9 so it would probably be confusing for me to read without reading #1.

Does anyone know where i could buy the boxed set of TDTS?

As a "budding collector" be sure to check out the "Collections" forum in "Calvin's Corner". That should really set the proverbial hook in ya!!!!!

Psychotic-Vixen
04-29-2012, 02:58 AM
Thanks everyone :) i'm going to start in order with these :) should be in BN this week getting what they have but usually it's not much they carry more of his other books than TDTS

Merlin1958
04-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks everyone :) i'm going to start in order with these :) should be in BN this week getting what they have but usually it's not much they carry more of his other books than TDTS

Nah, if you're truly going to B&N they should have them al in PB or be able to order those you need. You're in good shape!!! Go get 'em!!!!!!

:clap::clap:

Jean
04-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Psychotic-Vixen: since you seem to have your question answered now, can I archive this thread? I don't see any further possibility for discussion here.

Merlin1958
04-30-2012, 01:01 AM
IMHO Go for it, Jean!!! You the Mod!!!!