PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the best comics of the year!

BlakeMP
12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey, folks. As many of you know, I write comic book-based columns and reviews for another website (Comixtreme.com (http://www.comixtreme.com)), and it's time for my year-end "Best of feature." I know there are a few comic book fans here, so I wanted to extend the invitation to cast your votes here as well.

I tried a new system for the voting last year and it worked really well, so I’m going to do it again. It’s pretty simple. From now until Christmas Day, December 25, I will be accepting nominees in each of the following categories. Each voter can make three nominations, ranked #1, #2 and #3. All #1s will get three points, #2s 2 points and #3s one point. Then, on December 27, I’ll announce the “ballot,” with the top three vote-getters in each category being the finalists. The winners will be announced in the first EBI of the New Year on January 2nd. For example, if you think the three best Superhero comics are:

1. Captain Dudesicle
2. Dudeman and the Justice Revengers
3. Dudegirl (Don’t Ask)

Then “Captain Dudesicle” will get three points, “Dudeman” two points and “Dudegirl” one point towards becoming a finalist. Now I must ask, do not post your votes here in the thread. You can send them to me via private message or e-mail them to Blake@comixtreme.com with the subject line “EBI Awards.” And please be sure to read the rules at the end before you cast your ballot.

The categories this year are:

1. Best Superhero Title
2. Best Science Fiction Title
3. Best Fantasy Title
4. Best Horror Title
5. Best “Down to Earth” Title (A comic without superhero, fantasy, sci-fi or horror elements -- in other words, a comic that you believe could happen in real life)
6. Best Humor Title
7. Best All-Ages Title (This refers to a comic book suitable for anyone to read, including children)
8. Best Mature Reader’s Title (This refers to a comic that, due to themes or content, is not appropriate for all ages)
9. Best Adapted Comic (Comic based on a property that originated outside of comic books, for example, Halo or The Dark Tower.)
10. Best Comic Adaptation (Media product based on a comic book, such as a TV show like The Batman or movie like 300)
11. Best Limited Series (A limited series does not have to have been published entirely in 2007 – it can have begun in 2006 or it could end in 2008, but a substantial portion must have seen print this year.
12. Best Web Comic (Comic strip that originates on the internet, such as PVP or Penny Arcade. Please include the URL for the strip, especially if it's a lesser-known one.)
13. Best Newspaper Comic (Comic strip published traditionally, such as Retail or Funky Winkerbean)
14. Best Special (One-shot story published in a single-issue title, such as Donald Duck: The Case of the Missing Mummy. Original graphic novels, such as Black Cherry, are included in this category)
15. Best New Reprint (Paperback or hardcover collecting previously uncollected material, such as Heroes Vol. 1 or material not previously collected in this format, such as Tales From the Crypt Archives.)
16. Best Repackaged Reprint (Paperback or hardcover that presents previously collected material in a new or expanded format, such as the Captain America Omnibus graphic novel.)
17. Best New Title (Must be an ongoing series, the first issue of which was released after January 1, 2007. Comics that were "Cancelled" only to be replaced with a new #1 a few months later do not qualify.)
18. Best Comic You’re Not Reading (The comic you believe most deserves wider recognition. If it regularly appears in the Diamond Top 50, it’s not eligible)
19. The New Beginning Award (The comic book which, through a new series, new creative team or new direction, underwent the best transformation this year)
20. The Happy Trails Award (The comic book that ended this year which you will miss the most. The final issue must be released before December 31, 2007)

That’s all the categories guys. That should be enough to keep you pondering. Now here are the rules, which I’ve tried to keep as simple as possible:

• All categories are open to both miniseries or ongoing series except for categories 11, 14, 14, 16, 17 and 20.

• You don’t have to vote in every category, only in those you want. However, trying to vote more than once will have all votes discarded. And don’t think you can trick me. I’m a teacher. I know stuff.

• Send your votes to me via private message or e-mail them to Blake@comixtreme.com. Please don’t post them here in this thread.

• Votes will be accepted at the discretion of the judges (me). If a vote is cast in what a judge feels is the wrong category, it will be discarded. (For example, a vote for 100 Bullets in the all-ages category ain’t gonna count.)

• You can vote for the same title in multiple categories, for instance, PVP in “humor” AND “web comic,” Legion of Super-Heroes in “superhero” AND “science fiction,” etc.

• If you’re not sure if a comic falls into a certain category, or if there’s anything else you would like clarified, go ahead and ask.

• All nominations must be received by Dec. 25, 2007. A ballot will be released on Dec. 27, and all final votes must be cast by Dec. 31, 2007. Winners will be announced in the Everything But Imaginary column for Jan. 2, 2008.

There you go, gang, simple as that. Go through your long boxes for the past year, pass the ballot on to your friends and start the voting!

LadyHitchhiker
12-03-2007, 01:42 PM
No fair! My friend and I were Dudeman and Sistergirlfriend for yeeeears before they created the comic book... Harumph...

BlakeMP
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Somehow, with your av, that doesn't surprise me as much as it should... :D

LadyHitchhiker
12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
It's one of those inside jokes that turned into superheroism... That's not that uncommon for myself either...

BlakeMP
12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Time is running out, guys! C'mon! Cast those votes!

CyberGhostface
12-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Sent mine in...

BlakeMP
12-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Thank ye, good sir!

Now the rest of you, get on it! ;)

Brice
12-22-2007, 04:55 PM
I would, but the ONLY comics I've read are The Gunslinger Born ones.