PDA

View Full Version : Pottermore!

Darkthoughts
04-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Have you said "Hello Pottermore, goodbye real life!" yet?

A place to discuss all things Pottermore. Personally I'm loving all the previously unpublished extras and the interactivity is really cool. (Is it me or is potion making really hard?)

My username is StoneFlame7158...add me!! :D

alkanto
04-18-2012, 04:56 AM
I was actually one of the beta testers of the site, way back in August....it's gotten so much better than it was, let me tell you!

and, once I found out that it was newly open to the public, I decided to make another account, just to see if it was going to be better - and so far, so good!

My main account (the first one) is DraconisHallow140 and my new one is QuaffleThestral26857

Darkthoughts
04-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Noooo way! I was so gutted I didn't get picked <--- nerd :lol:

I bet it probably was a bit frustrating being a beta, did it crash a lot?

alkanto
04-18-2012, 05:22 AM
:lol: God yes! There were a couple of days where I couldn't get on the site for more than a few minutes at a time, then it'd go down for 4 hours. It was really frustrating. Also, instead of using the arrow keys to progress forward, you had to click on the right spot. That was also annoying, as you really weren't sure where to click, and results in a lot of mindless random clicking...

Bethany
04-18-2012, 05:24 AM
I'm SparksChaser-with-some-numbers-I-Can't-Remember

Ka-mai
04-18-2012, 05:29 AM
I'm afraid to join because I have school and work and things that will be neglected. :lol: Also I feel like I'd have to come up with a really clever HP name, and I'm just not feeling that creative.

Darkthoughts
04-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Gah Jen, that would have driven me nuts!! :lol:
It's cool sarah, your name gets picked for you (well, you get a choice of 3 or so randomly generated ones).
Bethany - added :D

Bethany
04-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Coolio! SparksChaser7187. Add me.

Brice
04-18-2012, 06:11 AM
WizardFeather17685

...and I am in Griffindor :D

I agree with Lisa, spells are a bitch.

Darkthoughts
04-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Ok, so I was uber nerdy and watched a video on youtube on spellcasting :lol: they're actually not that hard, just not explained very well on the site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59MPxGi1Tr4

Ka-mai
04-18-2012, 08:37 AM
:lol: I don't know if that's good or damn irritating about the names, but the whole "child safety" thing is excellent.

I'm now CharmNox10505. It reminds me of charmander, so that's cool. :lol:

Edit: How do I get sorted? That's pretty much the only thing I want to do right now. :P

Darkthoughts
04-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Bahahaaa! Pokemon lurve!!! You have to start playing through the story to get sorted.

Ka-mai
04-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Okay, this website is awesome, but I'm afraid to know how long it is going to take for me to get through all of these things. Also, I'm afraid I will get sorted into a crappy house. :P

Edit: I got Ravenclaw! Yay! Unfortunately I have thrown all of my highly productive plans for today out of the window. :lol:

Darkthoughts
04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! I'm a Ravie too!

Emily
04-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm CastleSword24580. This is so awesome. I totally just got emotional reading some of this stuff. I think I might have to do a SUPER SERIOUS reread of these. I'm so happy right now.

Bethany
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
I'll have to wait until I can sit uninterrupted until I can play around and get sorted.

Shannon
04-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Yay I just signed up. :)

mystima
04-18-2012, 01:57 PM
i am in Hufflepuff...username is RoseWolfsbane2493

Ka-mai
04-18-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm currently 95% through book 6 of my reread, that may be why I'm not super keen on some of the website, but the sorting and wand-choosing were fun, and the JK exclusives are great. If the whole website was just her talking I'd be happy. The whole "collect useless items" part isn't thrilling me so far, but maybe later on I'll appreciate it.

Brice
04-18-2012, 07:46 PM
If you posted your name in this thread you are added. Shannon, we need your name. :D

alkanto
04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Getting a little annoyed...for my second account, the sorting page won't load! I want to see if I get the same results (to see how accurate it really is)

For the record, in my original account, I am in Gryffindor.

Ka-mai
04-19-2012, 04:18 AM
I want you guys to tell me if it does this for everyone, but my last question was "heads or tails?" I think that means I was 50/50. And if I was, I think they should let you choose. Harry got to choose!

alkanto
04-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Well got in...got Gryffindor again. Maybe it really is accurate? I don't recall answering the same way as I did before...

and is it bad that I just really wanted Hufflepuff? :lol:

And yeah, my last one was heads/tails.

Darkthoughts
04-19-2012, 06:33 AM
I didn't have heads or tails as my last question.

ELazansky
04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
My daughter started Pottermore yesterday - I assume that after she reads the stuff at the beginning, once you get to Hogwarts, other content opens up?

mystima
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
they haven't done more than the first book. am waiting for them to open the second book.

Ka-mai
04-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks for that video on spell casting, I was completely confused and doing the wrong thing. :lol: I suck at it, but I'm okay with that.

I've been wondering about those people who are earning the most house points... do they have lives? I can't imagine the time you'd devote to earning points. I have 9 and I'm like "yep, good enough."

alkanto
04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I know! It's insane! :lol: Especially considering how much time it takes to brew a potion, and how much I suck at spells....

Ka-mai
04-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Well, I finished the first book. :lol: That's probably good considering how much work I have to do.

Darkthoughts
04-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Ha, I reckon that must be mainly the beta testers who were there since August last year? I didn't realise the rest of the books are locked for now...gutted!!

OchrisO
04-19-2012, 11:48 PM
WolfsbaneBlood19691

And apparently I am a Slytherin, which kind of surprises me(or it did until I read the welcome message anyway).

Darkthoughts
04-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Duuude. How did you get offered a cool name like that?! What was the Slyth welcome message?

OchrisO
04-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Duuude. How did you get offered a cool name like that?! What was the Slyth welcome message?

Haha. I had a hard time choosing between that one and CentaurLeviosa. RiverFrog was another one I had. I got pretty lucky on the name combos.

My wand turned out pretty cool as well: Ebony with a Phoenix Feather Core, 13 inches, Slightly Springy.

Here is the Slytherin Welcome Message behind spoiler tags in case someone wants to wait to see if they get it:

Congratulations! I’m Prefect Gemma Farley, and I’m delighted to welcome you to SLYTHERIN HOUSE. Our emblem is the serpent, the wisest of creatures; our house colours are emerald green and silver, and our common room lies behind a concealed entrance down in the dungeons. As you’ll see, its windows look out into the depths of the Hogwarts lake. We often see the giant squid swooshing by – and sometimes more interesting creatures. We like to feel that our hangout has the aura of a mysterious, underwater shipwreck.

Now, there are a few things you should know about Slytherin – and a few you should forget.

Firstly, let’s dispel a few myths. You might have heard rumours about Slytherin house – that we’re all into the Dark Arts, and will only talk to you if your great-grandfather was a famous wizard, and rubbish like that. Well, you don’t want to believe everything you hear from competing houses. I’m not denying that we’ve produced our share of Dark wizards, but so have the other three houses – they just don’t like admitting it. And yes, we have traditionally tended to take students who come from long lines of witches and wizards, but nowadays you’ll find plenty of people in Slytherin house who have at least one Muggle parent.

Here’s a little-known fact that the other three houses don’t bring up much: Merlin was a Slytherin. Yes, Merlin himself, the most famous wizard in history! He learned all he knew in this very house! Do you want to follow in the footsteps of Merlin? Or would you rather sit at the old desk of that illustrious ex-Hufflepuff, Eglantine Puffett, inventor of the Self-Soaping Dishcloth?

I didn’t think so.

But that’s enough about what we’re not. Let’s talk about what we are, which is the coolest and edgiest house in this school. We play to win, because we care about the honour and traditions of Slytherin.

We also get respect from our fellow students. Yes, some of that respect might be tinged with fear, because of our Dark reputation, but you know what? It can be fun, having a reputation for walking on the wild side. Chuck out a few hints that you’ve got access to a whole library of curses, and see whether anyone feels like nicking your pencil case.

But we’re not bad people. We’re like our emblem, the snake: sleek, powerful, and frequently misunderstood.

For instance, we Slytherins look after our own – which is more than you can say for Ravenclaw. Apart from being the biggest bunch of swots you ever met, Ravenclaws are famous for clambering over each other to get good marks, whereas we Slytherins are brothers. The corridors of Hogwarts can throw up surprises for the unwary, and you’ll be glad you’ve got the Serpents on your side as you move around the school. As far as we’re concerned, once you’ve become a snake, you’re one of ours – one of the elite.

Because you know what Salazar Slytherin looked for in his chosen students? The seeds of greatness. You’ve been chosen by this house because you’ve got the potential to be great, in the true sense of the word. All right, you might see a couple of people hanging around the common room whom you might not think are destined for anything special. Well, keep that to yourself. If the Sorting Hat put them in here, there’s something great about them, and don’t you forget it.

And talking of people who aren’t destined for greatness, I haven’t mentioned the Gryffindors. Now, a lot of people say that Slytherins and Gryffindors represent two sides of the same coin. Personally, I think Gryffindors are nothing more than wannabe Slytherins. Mind you, some people say that Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor prized the same kinds of students, so perhaps we are more similar than we like to think. But that doesn’t mean that we cosy up with Gryffindors. They like beating us only slightly less than we like beating them.

A few more things you might need to know: our house ghost is the Bloody Baron. If you get on the right side of him he’ll sometimes agree to frighten people for you. Just don’t ask him how he got bloodstained; he doesn’t like it.

The password to the common room changes every fortnight. Keep an eye on the noticeboard. Never bring anyone from another house into our common room or tell them our password. No outsider has entered it for more than seven centuries.

Well, I think that’s all for now. I’m sure you’ll like our dormitories. We sleep in ancient four-posters with green silk hangings, and bedspreads embroidered with silver thread. Medieval tapestries depicting the adventures of famous Slytherins cover the walls, and silver lanterns hang from the ceilings. You’ll sleep well; it’s very soothing, listening to the lake water lapping against the windows at night.

TowerJunkie19
04-20-2012, 08:46 AM
I just joined today, it's a lot more fun than I thought it would be haha. Now, they just need to hurry up and unlock the second book.

StoneAsh8469

I'm in Gryffindor! :)

fernandito
04-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Damn, this sounds so awesome. I might have to join ya'll :)

TowerJunkie19
04-20-2012, 09:14 AM

Do it!

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I joined earlier today, and I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay. Racking up points just takes forever. I'm a slytherin and my wand is aspen with a dragon core, 13 inches and unbendable. (Yeah baby, that sounds dirty and I like it.) :lol:

Brice
04-20-2012, 10:38 AM

May?

Ka-mai
04-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Haha. I had a hard time choosing between that one and CentaurLeviosa. RiverFrog was another one I had. I got pretty lucky on the name combos.

My wand turned out pretty cool as well: Ebony with a Phoenix Feather Core, 13 inches, Slightly Springy.

Here is the Slytherin Welcome Message behind spoiler tags in case someone wants to wait to see if they get it:

Congratulations! I’m Prefect Gemma Farley, and I’m delighted to welcome you to SLYTHERIN HOUSE. Our emblem is the serpent, the wisest of creatures; our house colours are emerald green and silver, and our common room lies behind a concealed entrance down in the dungeons. As you’ll see, its windows look out into the depths of the Hogwarts lake. We often see the giant squid swooshing by – and sometimes more interesting creatures. We like to feel that our hangout has the aura of a mysterious, underwater shipwreck.

Now, there are a few things you should know about Slytherin – and a few you should forget.

Firstly, let’s dispel a few myths. You might have heard rumours about Slytherin house – that we’re all into the Dark Arts, and will only talk to you if your great-grandfather was a famous wizard, and rubbish like that. Well, you don’t want to believe everything you hear from competing houses. I’m not denying that we’ve produced our share of Dark wizards, but so have the other three houses – they just don’t like admitting it. And yes, we have traditionally tended to take students who come from long lines of witches and wizards, but nowadays you’ll find plenty of people in Slytherin house who have at least one Muggle parent.

Here’s a little-known fact that the other three houses don’t bring up much: Merlin was a Slytherin. Yes, Merlin himself, the most famous wizard in history! He learned all he knew in this very house! Do you want to follow in the footsteps of Merlin? Or would you rather sit at the old desk of that illustrious ex-Hufflepuff, Eglantine Puffett, inventor of the Self-Soaping Dishcloth?

I didn’t think so.

But that’s enough about what we’re not. Let’s talk about what we are, which is the coolest and edgiest house in this school. We play to win, because we care about the honour and traditions of Slytherin.

We also get respect from our fellow students. Yes, some of that respect might be tinged with fear, because of our Dark reputation, but you know what? It can be fun, having a reputation for walking on the wild side. Chuck out a few hints that you’ve got access to a whole library of curses, and see whether anyone feels like nicking your pencil case.

But we’re not bad people. We’re like our emblem, the snake: sleek, powerful, and frequently misunderstood.

For instance, we Slytherins look after our own – which is more than you can say for Ravenclaw. Apart from being the biggest bunch of swots you ever met, Ravenclaws are famous for clambering over each other to get good marks, whereas we Slytherins are brothers. The corridors of Hogwarts can throw up surprises for the unwary, and you’ll be glad you’ve got the Serpents on your side as you move around the school. As far as we’re concerned, once you’ve become a snake, you’re one of ours – one of the elite.

Because you know what Salazar Slytherin looked for in his chosen students? The seeds of greatness. You’ve been chosen by this house because you’ve got the potential to be great, in the true sense of the word. All right, you might see a couple of people hanging around the common room whom you might not think are destined for anything special. Well, keep that to yourself. If the Sorting Hat put them in here, there’s something great about them, and don’t you forget it.

And talking of people who aren’t destined for greatness, I haven’t mentioned the Gryffindors. Now, a lot of people say that Slytherins and Gryffindors represent two sides of the same coin. Personally, I think Gryffindors are nothing more than wannabe Slytherins. Mind you, some people say that Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor prized the same kinds of students, so perhaps we are more similar than we like to think. But that doesn’t mean that we cosy up with Gryffindors. They like beating us only slightly less than we like beating them.

A few more things you might need to know: our house ghost is the Bloody Baron. If you get on the right side of him he’ll sometimes agree to frighten people for you. Just don’t ask him how he got bloodstained; he doesn’t like it.

The password to the common room changes every fortnight. Keep an eye on the noticeboard. Never bring anyone from another house into our common room or tell them our password. No outsider has entered it for more than seven centuries.

Well, I think that’s all for now. I’m sure you’ll like our dormitories. We sleep in ancient four-posters with green silk hangings, and bedspreads embroidered with silver thread. Medieval tapestries depicting the adventures of famous Slytherins cover the walls, and silver lanterns hang from the ceilings. You’ll sleep well; it’s very soothing, listening to the lake water lapping against the windows at night.

That is really cool, but... Crabbe and Goyle? Destined for greatness? Hm.... :P

It would be really interesting to see the HP world from each of the four houses, I guess she's trying to do that a little with this site.

Also, I love how you can nickname people... Something I have trouble with in Facebook is remembering which of my internet friends correspond to which username on this site.

Darkthoughts
04-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Ace, cheers Chris! I'll post up the Ravenclaw welcome message...can anyone post the Gryff and Hufflepuff ones?

Brice
04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
I will see if I can find mine (Gryffindor's) again.

mystima
04-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Here is Hufflepuff

Congratulations! I’m Prefect Gabriel Truman, and I’m delighted to welcome you to HUFFLEPUFF HOUSE. Our emblem is the badger, an animal that is often underestimated, because it lives quietly until attacked, but which, when provoked, can fight off animals much larger than itself, including wolves. Our house colours are yellow and black, and our common room lies one floor below the ground, on the same corridor as the kitchens.

Now, there are a few things you should know about Hufflepuff house. First of all, let’s deal with a perennial myth about the place, which is that we’re the least clever house. WRONG. Hufflepuff is certainly the least boastful house, but we’ve produced just as many brilliant witches and wizards as any other. Want proof? Look up Grogan Stump, one of the most popular Ministers for Magic of all time. He was a Hufflepuff – as were the successful Ministers Artemesia Lufkin and Dugald McPhail. Then there’s the world authority on magical creatures, Newt Scamander; Bridget Wenlock, the famous thirteenth-century Arithmancer who first discovered the magical properties of the number seven, and Hengist of Woodcroft, who founded the all-wizarding village of Hogsmeade, which lies very near Hogwarts School. Hufflepuffs all.

So, as you can see, we’ve produced more than our fair share of powerful, brilliant and daring witches and wizards, but, just because we don’t shout about it, we don’t get the credit we deserve. Ravenclaws, in particular, assume that any outstanding achiever must have come from their house. I got into big trouble during my third year for duelling a Ravenclaw prefect who insisted that Bridget Wenlock had come from his house, not mine. I should have got a week of detentions, but Professor Sprout let me off with a warning and a box of coconut ice.

Hufflepuffs are trustworthy and loyal. We don’t shoot our mouths off, but cross us at your peril; like our emblem, the badger, we will protect ourselves, our friends and our families against all-comers. Nobody intimidates us.

However, it’s true that Hufflepuff is a bit lacking in one area. We’ve produced the fewest Dark wizards of any house in this school. Of course, you’d expect Slytherin to churn out evil-doers, seeing as they’ve never heard of fair play and prefer cheating over hard work any day, but even Gryffindor (the house we get on best with) has produced a few dodgy characters.

What else do you need to know? Oh yes, the entrance to the common room is concealed in a stack of large barrels in a nook on the right hand side of the kitchen corridor. Tap the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row, in the rhythm of ‘Helga Hufflepuff’, and the lid will swing open. We are the only house at Hogwarts that also has a repelling device for would-be intruders. If the wrong lid is tapped, or if the rhythm of the tapping is wrong, the illegal entrant is doused in vinegar.

You will hear other houses boast of their security arrangements, but it so happens that in more than a thousand years, the Hufflepuff common room and dormitories have never been seen by outsiders. Like badgers, we know exactly how to lie low – and how to defend ourselves.

Once you’ve opened the barrel, crawl inside and along the passageway behind it, and you will emerge into the cosiest common room of them all. It is round and earthy and low-ceilinged; it always feels sunny, and its circular windows have a view of rippling grass and dandelions.

There is a lot of burnished copper about the place, and many plants, which either hang from the ceiling or sit on the windowsills. Our Head of house, Professor Pomona Sprout, is Head of Herbology, and she brings the most interesting specimens (some of which dance and talk) to decorate our room – one reason why Hufflepuffs are often very good at Herbology. Our overstuffed sofas and chairs are upholstered in yellow and black, and our dormitories are reached through round doors in the walls of the common room. Copper lamps cast a warm light over our four-posters, all of which are covered in patchwork quilts, and copper bed warmers hang on the walls, should you have cold feet.

Our house ghost is the friendliest of them all: the Fat Friar. You’ll recognise him easily enough; he’s plump and wears monk’s robes, and he’s very helpful if you get lost or are in any kind of trouble.

I think that’s nearly everything. I must say, I hope some of you are good Quidditch players. Hufflepuff hasn’t done as well as I’d like in the Quidditch tournament lately.

You should sleep comfortably. We’re protected from storms and wind down in our dormitories; we never have the disturbed nights those in the towers sometimes experience.

And once again: congratulations on becoming a member of the friendliest, most decent and most tenacious house of them all.

Brice
04-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Gryff:Congratulations! I’m Prefect Percy Weasley, and I’m delighted to welcome you to GRYFFINDOR HOUSE. Our emblem is the lion, the bravest of all creatures; our house colours are scarlet and gold, and our common room lies up in Gryffindor Tower.

This is, quite simply, the best house at Hogwarts. It’s where the bravest and boldest end up – for instance: Albus Dumbledore! Yes, Dumbledore himself, the greatest wizard of our time, was a Gryffindor! If that’s not enough for you, I don’t know what is.

I won’t keep you long, as all you need to do to find out more about your house is to follow Harry Potter and his friends as I lead them up to their dormitories. Enjoy your time at Hogwarts – but how could you fail to? You’ve become part of the best house in the school.

Ka-mai
04-20-2012, 04:06 PM
It sounds like Hufflepuffs live in hobbit houses. :P These were well-written, while reading them I kind of wished I got into those houses instead. I do feel they could have done more with the Gryffindor, I know we heard all about it in the books, but maybe some extra stuff not previously mentioned could have been worked in.

Brice
04-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah, it seems she didn't try too hard with Gryffindor's.

OchrisO
04-20-2012, 04:19 PM

I didn’t think so.

That is really cool, but... Crabbe and Goyle? Destined for greatness? Hm.... :P

It would be really interesting to see the HP world from each of the four houses, I guess she's trying to do that a little with this site.

Also, I love how you can nickname people... Something I have trouble with in Facebook is remembering which of my internet friends correspond to which username on this site.

It also says, "All right, you might see a couple of people hanging around the common room whom you might not think are destined for anything special. Well, keep that to yourself. " :)

Ka-mai
04-20-2012, 04:50 PM
It also says, "If the Sorting Hat put them in here, there’s something great about them, and don’t you forget it."

I guess Crabbe was great at casting ridiculous curses and dying in a fire?

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Who is WizardFeather17685?

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
FangEye9766, add me, but send me a message telling me who you are, so I can nickname you. :)

Brice
04-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I am, Bruno. :D

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Oh, Ok. I was like, who is this Gryffindork? :P

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Motherfucker! I was almost done making a potion and I accidentally clicked on the wand and it fucked it all up. Making potions is ridiculously complicated. fuck fuck fuck

Brice
04-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Seee what happens when you speak badly of Gryffindor? :P

Bethany
04-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Eff you and anyone else that wants to mock Hufflepuff, bitches. Me and my 12.5 inch dragon core wand will hurt your ass.

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Mine's Dragon Core too, and it's 13 inches. :P :nana:

Brice
04-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Oh, so now we're gonna' quibble about wand size. :rofl:

Bethany
04-20-2012, 06:35 PM
And I believe you know what you can do with it, too. >.<

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Size matters, people. And Befernee, I'll bugger you with it, just keep talking shit. :P

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Who is
WizardHex6023 (http://www.pottermore.com/en/profile/wizardhex6023)?

Bethany
04-20-2012, 06:41 PM
I got nothing to do until 8 AM Tuesday morning....

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Good. I just dueled you again.

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I've been in the library three times and I find a bunch of collectable books but I can't find "One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi " wtf?

Bethany
04-20-2012, 06:56 PM
You bought that book on your shopping trip.

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 07:01 PM
OH! I'm so stupid sometimes. :facepalm: It kept coming up on the lists so I thought it was in there somewhere and you had to find it.

Bethany
04-20-2012, 07:03 PM
(Tying all of our conversations together) It's a good thing I'm the ginger kid, eh? :D

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 07:24 PM
(Tying all of our conversations together) It's a good thing I'm the ginger kid, eh? :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
FUCK! Those stupid berries are hard to add. Added too much.

Bethany
04-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Professor Snape hates me.

OchrisO
04-20-2012, 08:01 PM
It also says, "If the Sorting Hat put them in here, there’s something great about them, and don’t you forget it."

I guess Crabbe was great at casting ridiculous curses and dying in a fire?

Ah, just because someone has the potential for greatness doesn't always mean the seize upon it.

OchrisO
04-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Motherfucker! I was almost done making a potion and I accidentally clicked on the wand and it fucked it all up. Making potions is ridiculously complicated. fuck fuck fuck

The worst part is that you will sometimes get a potion taht takes something like 45mins to make and then you have a small window after that 45 mins to finish it, so there is no getting tired of waiting on it and leaving it until morning to finish.

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Yep. Finally, after 3 tries, I got the Antidote potion right. It took me about 3 hours total and it only got me 7 house points. :facepalm: Not even mentioning the money it cost. Speaking of which, has anyone else exploded a cauldron?

OchrisO
04-20-2012, 08:55 PM
I did, while working on a Forgetfulness Potion, I think. The Lethe River Water is a pain in the ass to add properly.

John Blaze
04-20-2012, 09:21 PM
all the stuff you have to pour into a cauldron sucks balls.

John Blaze
04-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Ok, so I've been playing it off and on most of the night. (working graveyards :blech:) I have, in my trunk, 25 objects, 11 Chocolate Frog Cards and 15 books. Not sure if that's the total or what but I've been looking for more.

OchrisO
04-21-2012, 01:01 AM
I remember the text when you find the first chocolate frog card saying that there are 12 different cards. I am not sure about the rest.

Darkthoughts
04-21-2012, 03:23 AM
:rofl: I'm glad we're all so non competitive :lol:

I love the Hufflepuff welcome message, they're the house you find out least about. The Ravenclaw message is:

Congratulations! I’m Prefect Robert Hilliard, and I’m delighted to welcome you to RAVENCLAW HOUSE. Our emblem is the eagle, which soars where others cannot climb; our house colours are blue and bronze, and our common room is found at the top of Ravenclaw Tower, behind a door with an enchanted knocker. The arched windows set into the walls of our circular common room look down at the school grounds: the lake, the Forbidden Forest, the Quidditch pitch and the Herbology gardens. No other house in the school has such stunning views.

Without wishing to boast, this is the house where the cleverest witches and wizards live. Our founder, Rowena Ravenclaw, prized learning above all else – and so do we. Unlike the other houses, who all have concealed entrances to their common rooms, we don’t need one. The door to our common room lies at the top of a tall, winding staircase. It has no handle, but an enchanted bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle. When you rap on the door, this knocker will ask you a question, and if you can answer it correctly, you are allowed in. This simple barrier has kept out everyone but Ravenclaws for nearly a thousand years.

Some first-years are scared by having to answer the eagle’s questions, but don’t worry. Ravenclaws learn quickly, and you’ll soon enjoy the challenges the door sets. It’s not unusual to find twenty people standing outside the common room door, all trying to work out the answer to the day’s question together. This is a great way to meet fellow Ravenclaws from other years, and to learn from them – although it is a bit annoying if you’ve forgotten your Quidditch robes and need to get in and out in a hurry. In fact, I’d advise you to triple-check your bag for everything you need before leaving Ravenclaw Tower.

Another cool thing about Ravenclaw is that our people are the most individual – some might even call them eccentrics. But geniuses are often out of step with ordinary folk, and unlike some other houses we could mention, we think you’ve got the right to wear what you like, believe what you want, and say what you feel. We aren’t put off by people who march to a different tune; on the contrary, we value them!

Speaking of eccentrics, you’ll like our Head of house, Professor Filius Flitwick. People often underestimate him, because he’s really tiny (we think he’s part elf, but we’ve never been rude enough to ask) and he’s got a squeaky voice, but he’s the best and most knowledgeable Charms master alive in the world today. His office door is always open to any Ravenclaw with a problem, and if you’re in a real state he’ll get out these delicious little cupcakes he keeps in a tin in his desk drawer and make them do a little dance for you. In fact, it’s worth pretending you’re in a real state just to see them jive.

Ravenclaw house has an illustrious history. Most of the greatest wizarding inventors and innovators were in our house, including Perpetua Fancourt, the inventor of the lunascope, Laverne de Montmorency, a great pioneer of love potions, and Ignatia Wildsmith, the inventor of Floo powder. Famous Ravenclaw Ministers for Magic include Millicent Bagnold, who was in power on the night that Harry Potter survived the Dark Lord’s curse, and defended the wizarding celebrations all over Britain with the words, ‘I assert our inalienable right to party'. There was also Minister Lorcan McLaird, who was a quite brilliant wizard, but preferred to communicate by puffing smoke out of the end of his wand. Well, I did say we produce eccentrics. In fact, we are also the house that gave the wizarding world Uric the Oddball, who used a jellyfish for a hat. He’s the punch line of a lot of wizarding jokes.

As for our relationship with the other three houses: well, you’ve probably heard about the Slytherins. They’re not all bad, but you’d do well to be on your guard until you know them well. They’ve got a long house tradition of doing whatever it takes to win – so watch out, especially in Quidditch matches and exams.

The Gryffindors are OK. If I had a criticism, I’d say Gryffindors tend to be show-offs. They’re also much less tolerant than we are of people who are different; in fact, they’ve been known to make jokes about Ravenclaws who have developed an interest in levitation, or the possible magical uses of troll bogies, or ovomancy, which (as you probably know) is a method of divination using eggs. Gryffindors haven’t got our intellectual curiosity, whereas we’ve got no problem if you want to spend your days and nights cracking eggs in a corner of the common room and writing down your predictions according to the way the yolks fall. In fact, you’ll probably find a few people to help you.

As for the Hufflepuffs, well, nobody could say they’re not nice people. In fact, they’re some of the nicest people in the school. Let’s just say you needn’t worry too much about them when it comes to competition at exam time.

I think that’s nearly everything. Oh yes, our house ghost is the Grey Lady. The rest of the school thinks she never speaks, but she’ll talk to Ravenclaws. She’s particularly useful if you’re lost, or you’ve mislaid something.

I’m sure you’ll have a good night. Our dormitories are in turrets off the main tower; our four-poster beds are covered in sky blue silk eiderdowns and the sound of the wind whistling around the windows is very relaxing.

And once again: well done on becoming a member of the cleverest, quirkiest and most interesting house at Hogwarts

OchrisO
04-21-2012, 03:30 AM
My and JB's Slytherin brethren will be disappointed if they every figured out how many friends we have in the inferior houses...

Darkthoughts
04-21-2012, 03:34 AM
:lol: Oh no you di'int! http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/Smilies/_castamagicspell__by_ROBlNHOOD.gif

OchrisO
04-21-2012, 03:38 AM
Hey, come on now. We have no problem with you...

as long as you all admit you are inferior :)

John Blaze
04-21-2012, 03:48 AM
:lol: We have a whopping 25K less people than Gryffindor and yet we're leading them by nearly 400k points in the standings. That's impressive. :)

Brice
04-21-2012, 03:56 AM
Hey, we're just trying to give y'all a chance...or make y'all feel as if you had one. :)

John Blaze
04-21-2012, 04:01 AM
;) Whatever it takes to sleep at night.

Brice
04-21-2012, 04:09 AM
I hate to spoiler the series for you...but Slytherins lose. :lol:

OchrisO
04-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Heck no they don't. The house head of Slytherin was integral to Harry defeating Voldemort.

Brice
04-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Aww! Sure he was, Chris. :grouphug:

OchrisO
04-21-2012, 04:51 AM
You can't deny that Voldemort would still be alive were it not for the actions of the great and noble Severus Snape. :)

Brice
04-21-2012, 04:52 AM
No, but I can still taunt y'all. :evil:

Bethany
04-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Fuck Slytherin.
Fuck Potions.
Fuck Potions.
Fuck Potions.
Fuck that damn thermometer.
Fuck Potions.
And fuck JB, but not as violently, because he did try to help me.

This may be the most fucks I've ever publicly given. Fuck it.

Brice
04-21-2012, 06:49 AM
B is in a fucking mood today. :lol:

Bethany
04-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Fucking A.
I worked on my damn potion forever last night and the bastard kept saying I was doing it wrong. Once, it told me I added too much ingredient, even though the last time I checked 4=4=4. Then, it kept saying I let the temperature get out of range even though the thermometer showed perfect temp and stayed green the entire time. JB finally did that part for (we cheated, 10 points have already been taken from Hufflepuff) and then I got a message that the stupid site was down for maintenance. Now I have to start all over. And this is just the stupid practise potion.

Fuck me,.

Ka-mai
04-21-2012, 07:11 AM
I think there's only 11 cards, but I believe there are 16 books. I can't find the last one and it's driving me crazy, I went through extremely carefully.

Darkthoughts
04-21-2012, 07:53 AM
I've got one card and two books to go...

Bethany
04-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm missing one object and can't figure out what it is.

And let me re-iterate FUCK POTIONS! After my earlier post, I did the shit and did it perfect, BOOYAH! So I'm arsing around, waiting for my 3 minutes. Go to check the potion and it's gone. Flat out gone. FUCK ME! I make it again, takes two or three tries because of the temp thing, I bite my lip, hold my tongue just right and get it all done. Then I get the message that I put the ingredients in the wrong cauldron. THE FUCKING HELL?!

Ka-mai
04-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Ugh, dueling is hard. One typo and you're fucked. <_<

mystima
04-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Blaze you have a request from me name is RoseWolfsbane2493

OchrisO
04-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Ugh, dueling is hard. One typo and you're fucked. <_<

I find it much easier to use mouse clicks rather than the keyboard keys.

Ka-mai
04-21-2012, 02:31 PM
I can't believe there aren't any quick potions. I don't want to spend a freaking hour making something that isn't real.

Brice
04-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Apparently you do. :P

John Blaze
04-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Blaze you have a request from me name is RoseWolfsbane2493

Cool deal. :D

Ka-mai
04-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Apparently you do. :P

:P Well, I'm waiting til I have a good chunk of free time. I wanted to do one while my boyfriend was in the shower, but I didn't have the time.

Ka-mai
04-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't have any proof of this, but I think a couple things I picked up didn't make their way to my trunk. Is anyone else having this problem? Also, they don't show up again on the screen, so I can't just try again, it's like they deleted themselves out of my game.

mystima
04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
are they potion ingredients? If so they get used when making potions if not you might have to send a petition or comment on the site.

Ka-mai
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I think it's a book... but it's kind of hard to tell. I'm just going off of other websites where people tell you which books you picked up where, not sure how accurate they are.

John Blaze
04-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Spell books go to your spell screen, not your trunk. Just FYI.

John Blaze
04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
no matter what I do I can't get a spell to go over 123 potency. It's pissing me off. I know I'm getting them damn near perfect.

Ka-mai
04-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Damn it! My potion was going perfectly but after it was done brewing the site completely fucked up and started lagging on me. Of course, the timer wasn't lagging, so I lost it.

:onfire:

Ka-mai
04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
FUCKING HELL IT DID IT AGAIN.

It lagged so much I spilled the fucking mistletoe berries fucking everywhere and couldn't pick the bottle up out of the cauldron and FUCK THIS.

If they want you to wait a fucking hour for the fucking thing to brew, the fucking website BETTER BE FUCKING WORKING WHEN IT'S DONE.

FUCK!

Brice
04-23-2012, 06:29 PM
If I didn't already know better; I'd almost guess you were upset, Sarah. You know what you need? Some nice soothing relaxing potionmaking. :P

Ka-mai
04-23-2012, 06:49 PM
:P Fuck you, Brice.

OchrisO
04-23-2012, 07:05 PM
FUCKING HELL IT DID IT AGAIN.

It lagged so much I spilled the fucking mistletoe berries fucking everywhere and couldn't pick the bottle up out of the cauldron and FUCK THIS.

If they want you to wait a fucking hour for the fucking thing to brew, the fucking website BETTER BE FUCKING WORKING WHEN IT'S DONE.

FUCK!

That's why this is called a public beta. It isn't running as intended yet. Notice it still says beta above the common room icon. :)

mystima
04-24-2012, 04:24 AM
yeah it was down for me yesterday..so didn't get on there.

Ka-mai
04-24-2012, 08:06 AM
No excuse!

Seriously though, I think I'm done with potions for a while.

Darkthoughts
04-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Just :rofl:

Ka-mai
04-25-2012, 07:20 AM
So then for some reason it ignored the fact that I fucked it up and allowed me to restart after the brewing... well while trying to get the damn mistletoe berries in the mortar I accidentally grabbed the pestle instead of the bottle (laying in front of the pestle), and then it told me I had done the directions out of order. :doh: I think I'll wait until it's no longer in beta mode, it's just too ridiculous this way.

Brice
04-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Nope! You'll keep trying. :P

Ka-mai
04-26-2012, 05:16 AM
:lol: You just want to laugh at my suffering.

Darkthoughts
04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
But you suffer with such awesome hilarity! It would be mean to deprive us :P

Ka-mai
04-26-2012, 09:36 AM
:P So next time my boyfriend asks why I'm angry all the time, I'll just tell him "because my imaginary internet friends think it's funny."

(Nobody in my life considers you real people. You're all just crazies pretending to be regular people to get a picture of me or my first name which you will then magically use to trace me down and murder me.)

OchrisO
04-26-2012, 12:01 PM
To be fair, that's what we are.

Brice
04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Actually I am the only site member other than you (these are ALL my alternates) Sarah going all the way back to .net. It is all part of my master plan to stalk you and well...do as you say. I already have your first (and last) name and photos. (Yes, those ones too :innocent: :P )

See you soon. :huglove:

Oh, and yes, we do so love to laugh at you and your mad potionmaking skills. :D

Ka-mai
04-26-2012, 03:29 PM
:lol: See, I figure if anyone was going to stalk me, they've had years to do it. Also I moved.

Also, holy shit .net was a long time ago! How many of us are still around?

...I really want to do a potion now. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :innocent:

Ka-mai
04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Just so you all know, I successfully brewed two potions! So suck it! :lol:

I also practiced doing spells. I think the problem is I need to keep using the site while potions brew or it gets all laggy.

Brice
04-26-2012, 06:46 PM
...and what precisely is it of yours that you are proposing we suck? :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Ka-mai
04-27-2012, 03:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzbURUrgQao

mystima
04-27-2012, 03:41 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! that was hilarious....made my day.....:clap::evil::wtf::lol::rofl:

Brice
04-27-2012, 07:44 AM
:lol:

OchrisO
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Goddamn, I love Louis C K.

Ka-mai
05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Is it just me or is Pottermore completely pointless now that we've all worked through the first book?

Brice
05-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Until the secnd book I imagine all you can do is level "stats" up and hone skills like potionmaking.

OchrisO
05-28-2012, 03:39 PM
I haven't been back since arouns when I last made a post in this thread.

Brice
05-28-2012, 03:56 PM
The same is mostly true of me. I think i did log in once, but that's it.

John Blaze
05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Me either. Got boring.

Brice
05-29-2012, 09:20 PM
I think it would have been better if they'd waited till they were closer to done with it. That way they could work on it while people still had stuff to do.

mystima
08-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Second book is now up!!!!!!!!!!!

Brice
08-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I didn't like having to wait before. I'll probably wait till they get a bit furthur before I go back to playing.

mystima
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
yeah it is slow and i have already finished the chapters they have...but they do have the history of the Malfoy's.

Ka-mai
08-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm getting frustrated with the mini-games because I don't have a mouse, only the track pad on my laptop. Is it just me, or are there less collectibles now?

I don't really feel super excited this time. Hm.

Brice
08-06-2012, 06:04 AM
I don't really know. I haven't even looked at it since the first book.

John Blaze
08-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I'll wait for a few more books. Is Slytherin still winning the points thing? :P

Brice
08-11-2012, 06:12 AM
I don't know. I haven't even looked there.

mystima
08-11-2012, 08:49 AM
I think they reset the house points because i only have like 4 now when i had a lot more than when the second book started.

mystima
11-07-2012, 12:38 PM
the whole of book two is out now and the house cup is to be awarded on the 21st of November.

John Blaze
11-09-2012, 12:47 PM
OOOOH!. Who is winning?