PDA

View Full Version : A L | E N

Pages : [1] 2

ZoNeSeeK
11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
A thread for one of the best sci-fi/horror series ever.

I'm a massive Alien series fan. I love anything and everything to with the series, even Alien 3 :) (well, the director's release anyway). If Sigourney asked me to be her personal slave on the next alien movie set in a pink tutu and rollerblades I would. For her. Maybe :)

Interesting side note: Aliens is rated "PG-12+" in Japan :ninja:

Who else is a fan? Does anyone else have the quadrilogy 9 dvd set with its completely orgasmic special features and production material? What parts are you favourites, what would you change if you could? Are you hoping for a 5th movie?

Letti
11-28-2007, 11:25 PM
This movie shocked my tiny world as a child. :)

Grillslinger
11-29-2007, 07:09 AM
The android's attack was terrifying.

Odetta
11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
HUGE FAN! HUGE! Did I mention how huge?

This may sound stupid... but I love at the beginning of ALien 3, when they are showing the 20th century logo and playing the 20th century theme music and it transfers into the Alien theme. *squee*
(god, I'm such a dork)

TerribleT
11-29-2007, 08:21 AM
I loved these movies. When Alien first came out it was far and away the best horror/sci fi flick of it's time. There are parts of it that still freak me out. I love Aliens too.

Odetta
11-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Least favorite was Alien 4... it didn't have the same feeling as the others and I wanted it to

fernandito
11-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Contrary to what others may believe, I am actually a pretty huge A L I E N (S)fan (I just happen to like Predator more, and debating is fun :P ). I think the first movie's greatest strenght is the eerie and silent atmosphere it created. The second one was a bit more action oriented, which is fine with me. The third movie....meh. Alien Resurrection was great too. :)

TerribleT
11-29-2007, 08:33 AM
I think my favorite of the series was Aliens, there were just too many great lines, great characters, and great scenes. "Yeah, but it's a dry heat" "Have you ever been mistaken for a man, no have you" "I say we take off and nuke the planet from outerspace, it's the only way to be sure." When the Aliens get Burke. Bishop doing the knife trick on Hicks. I could go on forever.

Steve
11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
I can't lie to you about your chances... but you have my sympathies.

I love Alien. It's my favorite sci-fi film of all time. Aliens and Alien 3 are also great, particularly the Assembly Cut of the latter. Alien: Resurrection was decent, partly because Joss Whedon wrote it. I don't even recognize AvP as part of the continuity, and think it's the dumbest idea ever.

Check the sig: Game over, man! Game over!

fernandito
11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
PS - Josh, you need to check out my post in the dreams & nightmares thread. :)

TerribleT
11-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I liked AvP, but I agree, it's not really an official part of the Alien series.

fernandito
11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't even recognize AvP as part of the continuity, and think it's the dumbest idea ever.

Two outer-space icons like these pitted against one another, what's not to like? The movie might not have been GREAT, but the idea and the possibilities it created are amazing.

Steve
11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
If you ask me--and no one did, which I find insulting *wink*--this whole "alternate universe" is a load of crap. Stephen King can do that, but it doesn't work in the Alien chronology. Sorry, but that's my thing.

Alien - A+
Aliens - A+
Alien 3 - A
Alien: Resurrection - B+
Alien vs Predator - C-
Alien vs Predator: Requiem - D+

fernandito
11-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Have you seen AVP: Requiem?

TerribleT
11-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Have you seen AVP: Requiem?

I haven't, I've only seen ads for it. Is it good?

Steve
11-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, a friend of mine got a bootleg copy (I know, I know, hellbound am I) on DVD. I watched it and I was disappointed. Too much Predator, not enough Alien. I don't particularly care one way or the other about the Predator series (I actually would have been happy if they'd not made Predator 2), but Paul W.S. Anderson does and it's a pretty biased film. I guess it's just 'cause I grew up watching the Alien series.

Still Servant
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Sigourney Weaver was the speaker at my College graduation.

The whole time she was there people were yelling out, "Ripley, I love you!"

Anyway, I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen any of the Alien movies.:cry:

Recently, I've been going back and watching movies I may have missed growing up because I was too young. Which surprisingly aren't many because my parents used to own a movie store and I got to watch a lot of movies I shouldn't have been watching for my age.

I saw Rambo 2 when I was like 7:shoot:

Alien is on my list though.

Telynn
11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
I was pretty young when I saw Alien in the movie theatre. I had to go leave and walk around the lobby for a bit, it scared me so bad. Haven't seen the others though.

ZoNeSeeK
11-29-2007, 11:14 PM
If you ask me--and no one did, which I find insulting *wink*--this whole "alternate universe" is a load of crap. Stephen King can do that, but it doesn't work in the Alien chronology. Sorry, but that's my thing.

Alien - A+
Aliens - A+
Alien 3 - A
Alien: Resurrection - B+
Alien vs Predator - C-
Alien vs Predator: Requiem - D+

:D

yes.

Mattrick
11-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah, a friend of mine got a bootleg copy (I know, I know, hellbound am I) on DVD. I watched it and I was disappointed. Too much Predator, not enough Alien. I don't particularly care one way or the other about the Predator series (I actually would have been happy if they'd not made Predator 2), but Paul W.S. Anderson does and it's a pretty biased film. I guess it's just 'cause I grew up watching the Alien series.

Chances are you haven't seen the finished version of it, then. I saw a restricted trailer that was bloody and gory all to hell. The first AVP was horrible but if this movie is as graphic as the trailer makes it out to be I'll be happy with it. I think Predator is cool but half as intriguing as alien.

Aliens rules. Bill Paxton was awesome in it. "Why don't you put her in charge?" "We're all going to die! Those things are gonna come get us! Game over, man! GAME OVER!"

Fell in love with the aliens as a young kid and still want to get a dirty tatoo of one on my shoulderblade, having the stingers wrap around my shoulder and ribs.

OchrisO
11-30-2007, 02:07 AM
Alien: Resurrection gets an A+ simply based on the fact that Winona Ryder is hot as shit in that movie.

Sai Joshua
11-30-2007, 03:44 AM
I have to agree that these are some of the best done sci fi/horror movies ever. I was like 5 when the first one came out, so I didn't see it until I was about 13 or so, but it kept me jumpy for quite a while. It has produced many nightmares for me. I was watching the Travel Channel a while back and apparently at some amusement park (can't remember) they have turned this into a ride of some sort with a lot of people in Alien costumes and a lot of Animatronic aliens. I will tell you now as much as I like these movies, I WILL NOT go and get on that ride. Life is too short and I don't want to have a heart attack at my early age.:excited:

JasKo
11-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Never even seen it...

(Please don't shoot me :P)

Odetta
11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
we won't shoot you JasKo... just encourage you strongly to watch them!

TerribleT
11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Jasko:shoot: Sorry man, this just can't be tolerated

Mattrick
11-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Alien vs. Predator would be awesome if it was just thousands of predators and thousands of predators waging war with humans with rakes in the middle. That would be the best movie of all time. Nothing but death, destruction and Alien kicking ass :D

Randall Flagg
11-30-2007, 06:29 PM
I still remember going to see Alien. I was 18, and a group of us went to San Francisco to the (now defunct) Northpoint theater. The theater had at the time the largest screen around and sat ~1,000. It was sold out!
Just simply an incredible group experience. When the chestburster erupted people went apoplectic. Literally girls ran screaming down/up the aisles.
I have seen several great movies in packed houses: Alien, Star Wars, Predator (an experience in itself I will discuss somewhere), Pre-release different cut of Fatal Attraction, Batman, Blazing Saddles, The Hunt for Red October, and the group experience really made them even more memorable.

Mattrick
11-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Randall, it was like that when I saw The Mist. There theatre only had ten people in it so I could hear each persons reaction separately. This one woman was always going 'OH MY GOODNESS!' and it fit perfectly with the movie. Everyone on screen is screaming and fighting and here she is 'OMG!! NO!!!!'

Randall Flagg
11-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Another great aspect of Alien was that without the internet, and with the studio restaining itself by showing trailers that didn't give away ANYTHING, the movie was a true experience. We went in with no warnings, no preconcieved notions, just the raw eyes wide open ability to be shocked, scared, enthralled in THE very moment.
Additionally, the HR Giger set pieces were so beyond what my limited 18 year old mind had ever seen as to be not only jaw dropping, but (I'm sure intended), mildy erotic. The sense of them entering a scary, dangerous, lethal spaceship that was evocative of sexual genatalia, yet so very very dangerous brought to the screen the frightening parts of my own teenage sexual awareness.
Perhaps TMI, but that's how it was.

Mattrick
12-01-2007, 01:01 AM
When I was young I recall the shaft scene with Dallas to be the most intense.

fernandito
12-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Predator (an experience in itself I will discuss somewhere)

I look forward to it. :)

Telynn
12-01-2007, 05:20 PM
When I was young I recall the shaft scene with Dallas to be the most intense.

I can remember being REALLY ticked off that Riley went back to look for that damn cat.

LadyHitchhiker
12-01-2007, 05:25 PM
The most recent aliens have been my faves (the last two) so I'm stoked about a new one!

RUBE
12-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I have always liked the Alien movies and wish I had the boxed set. I actually watched them out of order. I remember watching Aliens with my dad and brother (video not theater :arg: ) and then watching Alien all by myself on TV at night while my parents were out somewhere (:scared: ). They were awesome and still are.

ZoNeSeeK
12-02-2007, 01:59 PM
The box set is one of my prized possessions. It has a full DVD of extras per movie, the theatrical release and the director's cut of each movie and an overall special features dvd. Interestingly, Weaver is not interviewed on any of them. The audio commentary on Aliens is fucking awesome, heaps of information on there regarding production problems and set issues that James Cameron and his producer-wife dealt with on the UK set.

It also has screen tests for some of the actors in Alien, including weaver. Ripley was originally intended to be male but they changed the gender after a few early drafts - Veronica Cartright (Lambert) was originally going to play Ripley but they were so impressed with Weaver they changed them. Thank god ;)

Ryder is interviewed as part of the special features for the 4th movie. Its pretty funny in light of her clepto issues that was all over the press about 10 years ago - at one point she says something like "I've been such a huge fan of the movies since I was a little girl - I'd find myself just stealing props from the set when I was working". The interview must have been before hew little troubles with the law.

How gross is this:

The face hugger carcass that Ash autopsies was made using fresh shellfish, four oysters and a sheep kidney to recreate the internal organs.

Mattrick
12-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I saw the Alien Quadrilogy for 30 bucks...I remember when that shit was like 120.

sai blaine
12-03-2007, 02:23 PM
I remeber watchin Aliens when i was a we lad, i loved watchin these so called marines gettin there ass kicked by aliens where a lil girl was able to survive and run about. I fought that alien 4 was... different to say the least.. i mean its good that they carried on the saga but i dont know it just didnt have the same feel as the first 3, i guess proberly something to do with ripley being now half alien. AVP... im not going to start with that cock up but AVPR.. well i look forward to seeing this babe in action :excited:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/bowersda/avpr-predalien.jpg

Matt
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Aliens is one of my all time favorite movies.

No one can ever say..."Get away from her you bitch!" the same way again.

I didn't like 3 because the girl didn't live :( I really wanted her too.

sai blaine
12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!!!

I cudnt belive they killed her and hicks off so quickly into the 3rd after going thru all that effort to keep them alive thru the whole of Aliens..

Matt
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Same here sai--it totally ruined it for me.

Probably a little shallow but there it was. :lol:

sai blaine
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
:lol:

I've seen to versions of the 3rd, one with the runner coming from a dog. And the other from a cow... a cow.. i mean.. thats really scary, if i remeber right the alien takes the qualites of the host, but a cow.. since when do cows have legs built like a greyhound.. and i could swear it moo'd a few times...

Mattrick
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Newt annoyed me. I was sad she lived through the first movie :(

Odetta
12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
most annoying line from Aliens...

"They mostly come out at night... mostly

Matt
12-04-2007, 06:08 AM

Newt annoyed me. I was sad she lived through the first movie :(

I loved Newt! Poor thing, living the way she did. :(

fernandito
12-04-2007, 10:21 AM
I got severely stoned yesterday and watched Aliens and Predator back to back. :)

Oh yeah, Newt annoyed me too. I was routing for the facehugger in that medical lab scene!

Matt
12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
:o

Well I never....!

ZoNeSeeK
12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Carrie Henn is one of the main commentators for the Aliens audio commentary version, and she admits to hating that line aswell. She said "Thats all the other kids would say to me in the playground after that, I was so embarassed" - bahaha ;)

The director's cut of the 3rd is a vastly different movie - there was alot of flak between the studio and David Fincher regarding the theatrical release. Fincher's cut is about 40 minutes longer and includes entire plotlines that are cut out of the theatrical. The ox instead of the dog is one (and even though the dog scene is pretty horrible, the alien bursting out of a dead ox hanging in the middle of an abbatoir is pretty cool too), Ripley is found first washed up on a beach and then the craft is found, and the prisoners manage to trap the alien in their storage facility, before the crazy guy kills the guards and lets it out. I think it makes a much better movie.

Matt
12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Sounds a hell of a lot better!

sai blaine
12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Ox, cow came difference :P thoe thats just as bad

Mattrick
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Is the director's cut of Alien 3 in the Quadrilogy?

sai blaine
12-05-2007, 12:21 PM
yep yep

Lance
12-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Carrie Henn is one of the main commentators for the Aliens audio commentary version, and she admits to hating that line aswell. She said "Thats all the other kids would say to me in the playground after that, I was so embarassed" - bahaha ;)

The director's cut of the 3rd is a vastly different movie - there was alot of flak between the studio and David Fincher regarding the theatrical release. Fincher's cut is about 40 minutes longer and includes entire plotlines that are cut out of the theatrical. The ox instead of the dog is one (and even though the dog scene is pretty horrible, the alien bursting out of a dead ox hanging in the middle of an abbatoir is pretty cool too), Ripley is found first washed up on a beach and then the craft is found, and the prisoners manage to trap the alien in their storage facility, before the crazy guy kills the guards and lets it out. I think it makes a much better movie.

Ok, now I have to check this out.

ZoNeSeeK
12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Is the director's cut of Alien 3 in the Quadrilogy?

Yep, sure is.

Mattrick
12-05-2007, 11:33 PM
I got it out to watch, will probably either watch it before bed tonight or save it for tomorrow. Seen it several times but didn't even know Fincher directed it. Just watched Zodiac.

Odetta
12-06-2007, 07:51 AM
I have not seen the director's but of Alien 3... but I think I need to.

Steve
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
You certainly should. It is stellar.

ZoNeSeeK
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
What did you think of Zodiac? I really enjoyed it

Mattrick
12-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I really liked it though I felt they could have left five minutes from the last half an hour on the cutting room floor. David Fincher is a hell of a director. Good acting all around, even the bit roles played by John Carrol Lynch and Brian Cox. Gyllenhaal's wife suuuure was homely lookin.

Will
12-06-2007, 11:30 PM
I remember being about 5 or 6 when my dad asked if I wanted to watch a movie with him, and showing me Alien. So, it got burned in pretty early, and that sense of horrible shit in tight quarters still gives me the willies.

Course, Aliens has Reese and Bishop, and wicked hexplosions. And what kind of soulless monster can't get behind such a triple threat?

Erin
12-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Will! :wub:

I have a confession. I've only seen the 4th Alien movie! :o

But I asked for them for Christmas, so yay!

Will
12-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Winona Ryder is a very weak link indeed in the long, illustrious line of badass robots in those movies. Just make sure to lower your expectations when you go from -s to 3.

Mattrick
12-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Hicks is cooler than Reese so Hicks was in Terminator...not the other way around.

Just watched the directors cut of Alien 3 for the first time. I loved it and there were scenes I didn't exactly remember but it's been a few years since I'd seen it. Anyone know which scenes were added? It was close to two hours and a half hours and was a lot better. I recalled Andrews getting taken out about 40-45 mins it but the alien didn't even get out until 40 mins. Gave the movie a lot more depth, that's fer sure. Watching the specials features it's as if Fox, after putting all this money and time into it, just killed it themelves. The movie wasn't overly long and the alien sequences are, in my opinon, the best they did from any of the movies. It's the only alien where you get upclose and personal with it over and over again. Even the original wasn't as intimate with the alien itself.

I'm not a big fan of the Vincent Ward idea at all. I think the new script captures the fundamentals of his script but cutt out the riff raff about monks and a wood over everything. It would be a much better idea, I think, as a movie on it's own with the alien. Aliens wouldn't seem right without being surrounded by metal for some reason, I love that setting.

ZoNeSeeK
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah the overly-human winona android was a little weak, although she kicked ass when she needed to. But initially I was like "the fucking whiny shit from Mermaids is in my ALIEN MOVIES. GET OUT."

I thought the way they used humour in the 4th movie was clever. The 4th movie of any franchise is going to start grasping at straws so the snappy one liners and cool quotes were as good as Aliens, almost ;)

Mattrick
12-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Ripley: Now who do I have to fuck to get off this boat?

Johnner: I can get you off...maybe not the boat.

Steve
12-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Well Zone, Joss Whedon wrote the script for A:R, so that's why it was so quippy. Watch Firefly if you don't believe in his kickassity.

ZoNeSeeK
12-11-2007, 06:16 PM
"So, like, you've fought these things before. Like, what did you do?"

"I died." :)

Erin
12-11-2007, 06:25 PM
My mom is getting me the quadrilogy for my birthday! I can't wait. This thread has gotten me all excited about watching the first 3 Alien movies. :D

Mattrick
12-11-2007, 07:26 PM
"So, like, you've fought these things before. Like, what did you do?"

"I died." :)

I wasn't a big fan of that line...but I suppose it fits.

I loved:

"No human is that humane."

"Father's dead asshole! All aliens report to level twelve, I repeat, all aliens report to level twelve."

"I say we ditch the cripple. No offence."

*gives finger* "None taken."

fernandito
12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
"I might be synthetic, but I'm not stupid."

Steve
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
"Well that's it, man! Game over, man! Game over!"

fernandito
12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Bill Paxton is the only actor to have gotten killed by both Alien and Predator (he appeared in their respective sequels). Interesting little tidbit of information there, me thinks. :)

Odetta
12-12-2007, 06:07 PM
"I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a god-damn percentage!"

Steve
12-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Bill Paxton is the only actor to have gotten killed by both Alien and Predator (he appeared in their respective sequels). Interesting little tidbit of information there, me thinks. :)

And a Terminator. He was the leader of the punks in the first Terminator movie.

Oh, and... We are on the express elevator to hell. Goin' down!

ZoNeSeeK
12-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Erin, i am so insanely happy for you that you're going to be watching the first three movies FOR THE FIRST TIME ! You will love them. Aliens is definitely the crown of the three, it was done so brilliantly.

The scene near the beginning where she's having the inquest meeting rocks. Definitely watch the first two back to back Erin, the transitions are seemless.

Will: I saw Alien when i was 10 and had probelms sleeping etc, and that was with my brother and his friend. Its pretty damned irresponsible for any adult to show a 6 year old something like that. In fact, i remember my step mum specifically instructing us as kids that these are the movies that we are not to watch in any circumstances.

Erin
12-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I'll take your advice and have an Alien-viewing marathon one night.

What about the special features stuff? Is most of it things I should watch after having seen all the movies?

ZoNeSeeK
12-12-2007, 09:27 PM
yeah, just watch the 4 directors cuts first, then look at the other stuff. You could just ignore the theatrical releases. :)

fernandito
12-13-2007, 12:59 PM

And a Terminator. He was the leader of the punks in the first Terminator movie.

Shit! I had completely forgotten about that! Interesting resume' indeed. :)

sai blaine
12-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Kill Bill i guess huh :lol:

fernandito
12-19-2007, 09:19 AM
witty. :)

sai blaine
12-19-2007, 09:37 AM
i know...im scared too..

Mattrick
12-19-2007, 02:21 PM
He also was inside the funnel of a tornado and was ordered by God to kill demons. On top of that he has three wives! I don't know how Billy Paxie does it.

ZoNeSeeK
12-26-2007, 06:05 PM
he's a trooper ;)

ERIN. HAVE YOU SEEN THE GREATNESS YET?

RUBE
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
So is this new Alien vs Predator movie going to suck as bad as the first or is it going to be worth watching?

Steve
12-29-2007, 10:20 PM
I personally thought it sucked.

dbarnetth
12-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm a relatively big fan. Big enough to keep coming back. I loved Alien and I think Aliens is the best James Cameron movie ever. On a scale of 1 to 10, Aliens is one of very few 10s that doesn't include the words "Star Wars" in the title. I like the series so much that I keep coming back. 3 and 4 were very mediocre. Both a little too "edgy" for my tastes. It was like they were all trying to be something different since the first two were so different. Neither were driven well enough by characters. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but they're not in the same class. Same thing with AvP and AVPR. Both tried to toss in elements of Alien and Aliens, but both failed. Good flicks, but not great. Both very poor at developing human characters that I care about. I'm not 12 years old any more. Two monsters fighting can't be a movie in itself for me as much.

I'm really, really looking forward to a new Alien movie. Some of the scripts I've heard about over the past few years have sounded amazing. We'll see, I guess.

RUBE
12-30-2007, 09:37 AM

What about the special features stuff? Is most of it things I should watch after having seen all the movies?

If you have not done this yet, may I offer some advise? Before you watch the first one try to block out everything you learned about the aliens (or other aspects of the series such as androids) in the fourth movie. It will make the experience even better.

The main thing I am thinking of is the scene where they are all having dinner and we find out what a chest-buster is for the first time. Can you imagine what it was like to see that in the theater with no previous knowledge of what these aliens could do? It would have been awesome!

I guess that is my answer to your question as well. Do not watch the extras until after the movies.

TerribleT
12-30-2007, 12:23 PM

If you have not done this yet, may I offer some advise? Before you watch the first one try to block out everything you learned about the aliens (or other aspects of the series such as androids) in the fourth movie. It will make the experience even better.

The main thing I am thinking of is the scene where they are all having dinner and we find out what a chest-buster is for the first time. Can you imagine what it was like to see that in the theater with no previous knowledge of what these aliens could do? It would have been awesome!

I guess that is my answer to your question as well. Do not watch the extras until after the movies.

Yup, I can, I saw it in the theater the first time. As a matter of fact the first one came out before there ever were VHS players, or DVD players. (yes, there was even a time when the phone was attached to the wall by a cord too)

Matt
12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Yep, people screamed like there was no tomorrow back in the day. :lol:

Fall of Gilead
01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
So is this new Alien vs Predator movie going to suck as bad as the first or is it going to be worth watching?

Great movie idea, terrible execution of said idea.

fernandito
01-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I enjoyed the second movie immensely.

William50
01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I ordered the original an Movies on Demand the other day. It's pretty cool. Who's the director?

fernandito
01-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Let's see...

(cracks knuckles)

Alien was directed by Ridley Scott.
Aliens was directed by James Cameron.
Aliens 3 was directed by David Fincher
Alien : Ressurection was directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Predator was directed by John McTiernan
Predator 2 was directed Stephen Hopkins
Alien vs Predator was directed by Paul W.S Anderson
Alien vs Predator : Requiem was directed by Colin and Greg Strause

Fall of Gilead
01-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Feverish, the answer man!! :clap:

William50
01-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks Feverish!

To The Dark Tower Came
01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
[quote=Erin;77528]

And what's great about that particulqar scene is

This really doesn't need a spoiler but since it goes along with yours I'll put it... When they were filming the chest bursting scene in the original, the cast had no idea what was going to happen in the scene except that it was supposed the be "horrible". So the reaction to the baby alien and the blood spewing everywhere is real reaction from the cast.

William50
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know if Alien Vs. Preditor is any good? I have noy seen it and I was thinking about renting it.

Fall of Gilead
01-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Lots of people hate it, but I thought it was decent. Any new Predator is plus in my book.

William50
01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
The original preditor was awsome. Lots of blood and action, just what I like in a movie!

Fall of Gilead
01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah, the original Predator was a great movie. The subway scene in Predator 2 was worth the price of admission alone.

Okay, I'm getting off topic now. :doh:

William50
01-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Everyone loves Sci/fi movies!

Odetta
01-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know if Alien Vs. Preditor is any good? I have noy seen it and I was thinking about renting it.

I didn't enjoy it, but maybe I was expecting too much. GO in with no expectations and maybe it will be alright.

William50
01-05-2008, 01:28 PM
That was how I felt about Preditor 2 when I saw it. I loved the first, and I was hoping that the second would be just as good, which it wasn't!

RUBE
01-05-2008, 07:45 PM
[quote=Erin;77528]

And what's great about that particulqar scene is

This really doesn't need a spoiler but since it goes along with yours I'll put it... When they were filming the chest bursting scene in the original, the cast had no idea what was going to happen in the scene except that it was supposed the be "horrible". So the reaction to the baby alien and the blood spewing everywhere is real reaction from the cast.

I saw a "making of" show about Alien that talked about that. That is a really good idea for getting actual reactions but I bet it is really hard to pull off. I mean, how do you keep all of you actors and actresses in the dark about one of the biggest scenes in the movie until you shoot it?

William50
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
From what I have heard today, the movie sounds pretty good.

Still Servant
01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
While browsing the seemingly endless bins, aisles and display stands of movies at Wal-Mart, I came across the Alien trilogy for just $19.96.

I felt it was about time to add these much talked about films to the ever growing movie database in my memory.

I thought Alien was really good. I especially liked seeing Ripley in her panties and a tight wife beater, showing off a little ass cleve. I think they were trying to show humanity at its most vulnerable, but I was distracted.

(Interesting Servant sidenote: Sigourney Weaver spoke at my college graduation.)

As good as Alien was, Aliens was awesome. It instantly became one of my favorite action movies off all time.

I'll watch the third film when I get the chance.

After watching the first two films, I kind of got a little angry and sad with the state of cinema today. It reminded me of an article I had just read in EW about how the sci-fi genre is really dead right now.

It's so true. Why aren't we making good movies like Alien anymore?

Erin
01-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Cool, Servant. Lee Majors, the 6 Million Dollar Man spoke at my college graduation. :lol:

Anyways, Zone, i'll have you know i just settled down on the couch with my dog and I'm just about to start watching Alien for the first time. :D

OchrisO
01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Cool, Servant. Lee Majors, the 6 Million Dollar Man spoke at my college graduation. :lol:

...and he was boring as shit.

fernandito
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
It reminded me of an article I had just read in EW about how the sci-fi genre is really dead right now.

I read that article as well, and I completely agree.

ZoNeSeeK
01-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah, there really hasnt been anything five star lately. Sunshine is pretty much the only original new scifi thats come out in the last 2 years that I can remember that was half decent. Same director as 28 days later.

ATG
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
I am a fan.

Still Servant
01-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, now that I've seen the first 3 Alien films, should I just go ahead and see Resurection?

I guess it only makes sense.

Erin
01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Zomg! I just finished watching Aliens........Holy shit! Best movie evar!

I really loved the ending, what a good action movie.

And Bill Paxton was such a douche in it. :lol: I'm used to loveable, polygamist Bill Paxton.

ZoNeSeeK
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
:D Im so happy for you Erin *clutches to bosom*

Mike: yes. watch resurrection, i think Alien and Aliens are better but IMO its just as good, if not a smidge better, than alien 3 directors cut. Alot of people canned Alien Resurrection but theres so many good things about it, the french direction is great and the dark, brooding atmosphere is unlike any of the other three. In fact I think the feel of the movie is fark darker and more forlorn (for humanity) than the other three, save for perhaps the third.

Odetta
01-20-2008, 12:08 PM
OK, I got hubby Alien3 director's version... watched it last night. I found it to be a much better movie than the theatrical release. The opening scenes are far superior to the ones they showed in the theater.

ZoNeSeeK
01-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, its definitely a better movie. It makes sense, for one :)

ATG
01-20-2008, 06:18 PM
I loved all three of the movies.

Odetta
01-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah, its definitely a better movie. It makes sense, for one :)

yeah...
I had always wondered about the big room where they got the toxic chemical from... talking about if they can get the alien in there it can't get out...

ATG
01-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Hollywood.
They get away with stuff.

childeluke
01-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of the original trilogy, Deadliest of Species, and a few of the books. AVP sucked major balls....i fell asleep in the first 5 minutes....I NEVER fall asleep during movies...as in Not EVER. What the fuck? The next day I had to force myself to watch it, and I almost cried because it was that bad. Now AVPR is out and i just feel like punching something....too bad I don't have acid spit..that would rock.

ATG
01-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Indeed. Acid spit would be cool.

Fall of Gilead
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I'll take one of those nice sleek shoulder laser blowing-up things.

ZoNeSeeK
01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
You're not referring to a .. predator weapon, are you? :)

Vasagi
01-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I loved the first 2 Alien movies, but the series has slid downhill from there. The first one was just incredible slow-paced, suspenseful and terrifying. The sequel was even better, though it was entirely different ... good character development, and a good exploration of the Alien itself.

Something about the 3rd one just didn't set well with me ... they took the concept and changed it, with the doglike critter. 4 was an atrocity and the new AvP movies are just mass produced filler ... the McDonald's of sci-fi.

I guess maybe once your "Alien cherry"'s been popped, and you know what the Alien is, and how it works, it's just not as interesting ... dunno.

ZoNeSeeK
01-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Vasagi, try and get hold of the Director's edition of Alien 3, its a much better movie.

Odetta
01-24-2008, 07:23 AM
I just saw it and I agree with the goat licker... I mean ZoNe ;)

Still Servant
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I just bought Alien Resurection at Best Buy.

They were all marked $23.99 except for one copy that was marked $14.99. Hah suckaz.

Anyway, my question to you guys is shoud I watch the orginal theatrical cut or the special edition cut?

TerribleT
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
They were all marked $23.99 except for one copy that was marked $14.99. Hah suckaz.

:rofl:

Special editon cut

fernandito
01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
I took Aliens on my trip to Mexico because I wanted my grandfather to see it.

I think he saw it about 100 (slight exaggeration) times. :lol:

ZoNeSeeK
01-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Mike I'd be interested to know what you think of Alien Resurrection.

FP: Well, sounds like gramps has some good sense about him!

Odetta
01-29-2008, 07:50 AM
This is rumor control, here are the facts...

Alien Resurrection is the weakest of the 4

fernandito
01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Here is my personal list of preference, strongest to weakest :

-Aliens
-Alien
-Alien : Resurrection
-Aliens 3

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I just bought Alien Resurection at Best Buy.

Anyway, my question to you guys is shoud I watch the orginal theatrical cut or the special edition cut?

the quadrilogy is 30 bucks....

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Ressurection is good but more actiony/comical than the others.

Alien 3, director cut, is the most intriguing and memorable one but I still Aliens is a bit better. I saw the director's cut for the first time a few months ago and it was much better than the original which I still liked. Added much more depth to it.

The original is great but I hate how slow the 40 mins or so is. Alien 3 is slow too but the prison environment and everything is so interesting you can't help but love it.

Still Servant
01-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Mike I'd be interested to know what you think of Alien Resurrection.

I will definitely give my report once I've watched it. I was planning on watching it the other day, but I bumped it for Sunshine. Great movie by the way. Thanks for the recommendation Zone and everybody else.

Mattrick

the quadrilogy is 30 bucks....

Yeah, I know but I had already bought the trilogy for 20 bucks. Also, Resurection didn't cost me anything because I used a gift card.

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I know the feeling. I bought the first two for 20 bucks before realizing that. Oh well, my brother has the quadrilogy.

ZoNeSeeK
01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
FP: Same order as me! *man hugs w/out arousal*

Still Servant
01-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I watched Spaceballs the other day. Growing up, it was always one of my favorite movies. It's the first time I've seen it since watching the Alien films.

I now have a new found appreciation for the end seen in the diner. Having the Alien dance and sing with a hat and cane will always be funny to me. Mel Brooks is a true master of comedy.

"Check please."

Mattrick
01-31-2008, 04:33 AM
I loved Spaceballs as a kid. I tried watching a few weeks ago on TV and I just plain didn't find it funny.

fernandito
01-31-2008, 04:37 AM
FP: Same order as me! *man hugs w/out arousal*

*lift-bends' left leg*

I watched Spaceballs the other day. Growing up, it was always one of my favorite movies. It's the first time I've seen it since watching the Alien films.

"Not again!!!"

:rofl:

Still Servant
02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I finally got the chance to watch Alien Resurrection and I must say I really liked it. It took me a second to adjust to super hero Ripley, but then I was good to go.

I could see by the 4th one they were really stretching the plot. That's to be expected with the 4th film in a franchise.

Add me to the club:

Aliens
Alien
Alien Resurrection
Aliens 3

It also got me to thinking that with franchises like Die Hard and Indiana Jones being brought back to life, what other franchises are due for another film? I'd be up for another Alien film.

Any other film franchise you guys would like to see another film from.

Mattrick
02-06-2008, 10:43 PM
It'd be scary if AVP was all we got in terms of an update in this series. I'd love to see another Alien movie, with or without Sigourney Weaver. Much like Terminator 4, I think continuing without the staple star could be a great move.

Bringing the series back to its roots would be a good start. Brooding, claustrophobic atmosphere with only a few aliens. Subtract the action a bit and build up the suspense. With todays effects they should be able to make the aliens look amazing yet, use them sparingly. Perhaps find an interesting atmosphere that is enthralling like Alien 3.

Odetta
02-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Can I ask you all why you preferred Alien Resurrection to Alien 3? I'm just not understanding.

Mattrick
02-07-2008, 09:51 AM
I actually prefer Alien 3 to the original. As much as I love the first one, the first 40minutes to an hour is impenetrably boring, especially for a fourth or fifth watch. The Director's Cut of Alien3 is necessary for an Alien fan. Entire plotlines were removed for the theatrical cut.

fernandito
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I

P R E D A T O R.

Still Servant
02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I

P R E D A T O R.

:o I wasn't even thinking of Predator. Good one Feev.

That series is long overdue for a true sequel.

Mattrick
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd like to see The Thing expanded upon.

ZoNeSeeK
02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Odetta: It has more boy-humour in it :D

Mattrick: I saw the Thing the other day, and it was kinda funny, and i was thinking "Wtf is that?", and then thought of the title, and went 'O yeah.'
-

IMO, Alien 5 has to have Weaver, and it needs to be on her terms. Alien is nothing without Ripley, she and Jim Cameron have been quoted as saying they were both looking into a 5th movie, but then the fucking cunted AVP movies came along and it was basically "well, that just fucked up our plan". It was going to be a mass-scale "Earth Hive" type situation, as this is where the story threads go in all of the alien books that spun off the original 2 movies.

Weaver. Cameron. New alien film. NOT ANY MORE. FUCK YOU AVP. I hope a giant rotten cock cums in your eye.

fernandito
06-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Was going to post in the review thread, but I want to be able to discuss without the constraits of spoiler tags.

So, what did you guys think ?

I have to admit that , coming off fresh from the high of the movie, I originally thought to myself 'damn, that was awesome'. Once I got home, though I started thinking about all of the things that bugged me and suddenly it didn't seem so amazing anymore.

I'm at work so I'll have to go into detail a little later, just wanted to get the wheels on this rolling.

Hoping we can get a pretty good discussion going because there is a lot to go over.

TwistedNadine
06-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Saw it yesterday and I had the same reaction. Lots of things bothered me. Maybe someone can explain the very opening scene where the Big guy is standing by the waterfall and how that tied in? And does anyone know how many years before Alien this was supposed to have taken place (I seem to recall the Alien date being 2100 something but when I scanned my dvd I actually never saw a date).

Bev Vincent
06-11-2012, 09:19 AM
The big guy at the beginning was the vehicle by which the engineers created human life on (perhaps but not necessarily) Earth. He had to sacrifice himself to the cause.

I liked it quite a bit. I thought the 3D aspect of it was very well done. Not intrusive but lending depth. I liked the story well enough, though I had some questions, too. I have no idea how David knew as much as he did to behave the way he did, nor do I understand what he hoped to accomplish.

I'm also not sure why Vickers didn't run perpendicular to the big rolling spaceship instead of trying to outrun it...

All in all, though, I enjoyed it. I saw it on a huge screen (not IMAX, but big) and it was terrific to look at. Sign me up for the sequel.

becca69
06-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I have to ask... are there any sex scenes in the movie or is the R rating just for violence/language. The reason I ask is because my son really wants to see this (I let him watch Alien, The Fog (original) and the remake of The Thing). I won't let him see gratuitous sex but violence is OK in my book - lolololol. Do I get Mother-of-the-Year award or what??

DoctorDodge
06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
becca69 - it's just an R for violence, you'll be glad to know! :lol: All sex is briefly implied/talked about, but nothing shown.

As for Prometheus, I enjoyed it for what it was, not what those constant hype machine bastards tried to convince me it was (the greatest scifi film of the 21st century, if you didn't get the subliminal message). It was nice for some scares, and I loved the gradual metamorphosis that lead to the birth of the first alien creature (or an earlier form, anyway). I wish it had been scarier in some places, though. The scary, disgusting, body horror moments were great, but I do think the film was trying too hard at trying to be everything, particularly with the "save the world" plot that crept in near the end. Not terrible, just a film that should've been better, I think.

fernandito
06-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Saw it yesterday and I had the same reaction. Lots of things bothered me. Maybe someone can explain the very opening scene where the Big guy is standing by the waterfall and how that tied in? And does anyone know how many years before Alien this was supposed to have taken place (I seem to recall the Alien date being 2100 something but when I scanned my dvd I actually never saw a date).

The big guy at the beginning was the vehicle by which the engineers created human life on (perhaps but not necessarily) Earth. He had to sacrifice himself to the cause.

That's what I thought too, which brings me to my first point of contention : the magical black goo never has a clear defining purpose. It is a biological weapon or is it the creation of human life ? I find it hard to believe it's both.

I have no idea how David knew as much as he did to behave the way he did, nor do I understand what he hoped to accomplish.

He seemed to have a hidden agenda which was not on Weyland's list of objectives and which is never explained. Why did he poison Holloway if he had no idea what the goo would do ? What if it endangered everyone on the ship, including Weyland ?

I'm also not sure why Vickers didn't run perpendicular to the big rolling spaceship instead of trying to outrun it...

I'm not sure why Vickers was in the movie period. What did she do besides use a flame thrower and get run over ?

And don't get me started on that cliched 'yes ... Father' scene.

I have to ask... are there any sex scenes in the movie or is the R rating just for violence/language. The reason I ask is because my son really wants to see this (I let him watch Alien, The Fog (original) and the remake of The Thing). I won't let him see gratuitous sex but violence is OK in my book - lolololol. Do I get Mother-of-the-Year award or what??

There is a strong implication of sex but nothing is shown. It's over before it really begins. The R rating is 99.99999% perect attributed to the violence.

Bev Vincent
06-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure why Vickers was in the movie period. What did she do besides use a flame thrower and get run over ?

She looked fine. That was enough for me!

It is a biological weapon or is it the creation of human life ? I find it hard to believe it's both.

I think it was both, depending on how it's used. Think of the terraforming tool in The Wrath of Khan -- if it is used on a desolate planet, it can create life, but if it's used on a populated planet, it would kill everyone. I think this is similar, in a way, though I don't fully understand it.

becca69
06-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the info!

fernandito
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM

She looked fine. That was enough for me!

:lol: !

It is a biological weapon or is it the creation of human life ? I find it hard to believe it's both.

I think it was both, depending on how it's used. Think of the terraforming tool in The Wrath of Khan -- if it is used on a desolate planet, it can create life, but if it's used on a populated planet, it would kill everyone. I think this is similar, in a way, though I don't fully understand it.

I haven't seen Wrath of Khan, so I'll just have to take your word for it lol.

I wish they would have touched on this in the film. Unfortunately the scientists of this trillion dollar expedition are reduced to little more than panicked teenagers running around Crystal Lake and away from an outer space Jason.

Sorry, I'm trying to be as fair to the film is possible but it felt like a letdown in so many ways.

TwistedNadine
06-11-2012, 12:03 PM

I think it was both, depending on how it's used. Think of the terraforming tool in The Wrath of Khan -- if it is used on a desolate planet, it can create life, but if it's used on a populated planet, it would kill everyone. I think this is similar, in a way, though I don't fully understand it.[/QUOTE]

Hmm it didnt click with me that he was creating life by drinking it but that does make sense of the opening scene. So we are to assume some other life form ingested the black stuff and it morphed into a killing creature and wiped out all but one of the Big Guys?

TwistedNadine
06-11-2012, 12:07 PM
"And don't get me started on that cliched 'yes ... Father' scene."

I burst out laughing at that one. Bad enough it was predictable and cliche but her FATHER?? I was expecting GRANDFATHER or GREAT GRANDFATHER. Or even GREAT GREAT grandfather. But Daddy?

Bev Vincent
06-11-2012, 12:11 PM
So we are to assume some other life form ingested the black stuff and it morphed into a killing creature and wiped out all but one of the Big Guys?

I'm not sure -- I think the engineers created the technology that caused the alien creatures and it got loose on them, which is why they were conducting these experiments on a moon rather than on their home planet.

TwistedNadine
06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
"Not terrible, just a film that should've been better, I think"

I think they tried to hard to set us up for a part 2. I was expecting revelations and questions answered for the original Alien. Instead I have even more questions, unanswered plot maneuvers (like Davids ulterior motives; why the Big Guys created us then were so intent on destroying us etc etc).

TwistedNadine
06-11-2012, 12:32 PM
So we are to assume some other life form ingested the black stuff and it morphed into a killing creature and wiped out all but one of the Big Guys?

I'm not sure -- I think the engineers created the technology that caused the alien creatures and it got loose on them, which is why they were conducting these experiments on a moon rather than on their home planet.

Were they still experimenting? I understood that they were keeping it away from their home planet but also understood that they were packed and prepared to ship it off to Earth - meaning it was perfected and ready to deliver.

fernandito
06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Hmm it didnt click with me that he was creating life by drinking it but that does make sense of the opening scene.

Yes, I think the Engineer in the opening scene is this story's equivalent of Prometheus. He defies the Gods (Engineers), brings fire (black goo) stolen from the Gods and suffers for it (is ripped apart at a molecular level).

I think the Engineers are the ones that created the black goo and it came back to bite them in the ass. What exactly did they use or mix to create it ? That I don't know.

I think the engineers created the technology that caused the alien creatures and it got loose on them, which is why they were conducting these experiments on a moon rather than on their home planet.

My thoughts too ... this brings up a question : if the murals on Earth are indeed an 'invitation', why did the Engineers leave an invitation to their desolate military base and NOT their home planet ?

I think they tried to hard to set us up for a part 2. I was expecting revelations and questions answered for the original Alien. Instead I have even more questions, unanswered plot maneuvers (like Davids ulterior motives; why the Big Guys created us then were so intent on destroying us etc etc).

I'm 100% sure that's the case. Hopefully we get someone other than Lindelof to write the sequel.

Bev Vincent
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't think the engineer in the beginning defied his people -- I think he sacrificed himself on behalf of his people in the name of creation. Some people discussing the film compared him to the people who were sacrificed by the Mayans and other groups. He was treated like a hero in the days and weeks beforehand -- it was an honor to be the sacrifice.

The fact that the Engineers kept coming back (five different civilizations) indicates they maintained a renewed interest in their creation. I don't know why they used the moon as the "return address" -- maybe it's something like having a PO Box. The communication gets through, but you can filter it a little.

fernandito
06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Ooohh, good point! I completely forgot that they made a point to emphasize that the murals were from completely different eras.

But if they cared about their creations so much, why did they go to pain staking lengths to destroy us ?

How about this : maybe they left the roadmap to that moon after deciding that if humanity ever became advanced enough to make that voyage, we would be too smart for our own good and would need to be destroyed ?

TwistedNadine
06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Our thoughts were that the Engineers were the original good guys - the guys who created us - and then a revolt or perhaps just rogue militia type group created the bio-weapon and were on a mission to destroy the various creations scattered across the universe (we got the idea that earth was not the only planet they had started life on). Perhaps a Nazi type group who thought we were a bad representation of their civilization and wanted to "purify"

And yeah, we also noticed the murals gave an invitation to the Outpost and not the home planet. If I recall correctly the most recent mural was about 2000 years earlier. And thats about the same time the outpost Big Guys were killed off based on her carbon dating.

fernandito
06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Interview with Damon Lindelof shedding the barest of light on certain plot points and the (surprise!) potential of a sequel.

The Secrets of Prometheus with Damon Lindelof
Screenwriter Damon Lindelof talks Alien and Engineers.
by Chris TillyJune 11, 2012

Last week we posted an interview with writer Damon Lindelof concerning his plans for the Star Trek franchise. And this week we’ve got him talking Prometheus, describing how he got the gig in the first place, and letting us in on some of the secrets of the Engineers. Just BEWARE OF SPOILERS AHEAD.

IGN: When did you first see Alien?

Damon Lindelof: I was probably eight or nine and I was watching HBO and had no idea what it was. It was the scene where Harry Dean Stanton and Yaphet Koto were talking to each other and they were cursing, and I knew that it was for grown-ups, so it was cool. My Dad caught me watching it and said “This is not for you, it’s way too scary for kids.” And at that moment I couldn’t wait to see it. And so the first opportunity I got I started watching it again a couple of days later. And right around the part where the face-hugger leaps out of the egg and attaches itself to John Hurt’s face I turned it off and said “You know what, my Dad was probably right.” I had nightmares for about a month. And then a couple of years later I finally saw Alien from start-to-finish at a friend’s house, and I thought it was amazing and terrifying and unlike anything that I’d ever seen before. And I just completely and totally wanted to see it over and over again. That’s my memory of it.

IGN: How did you come to be writing a film set in that universe?

Lindelof: I was driving my car and my agent called me up and said “Ridley Scott’s going to call you in five minutes.” And I slammed on my brakes because that’s what you do. And sure enough five minutes later Ridley called and said “Hey man, I’m going to send you a script.” And I thought he must think that I’m someone else, because he’s acting like he knows me. A couple of hours later a guy showed up at my house with the screenplay. And he said “Read this, I’ll be out in the car, and you can bring it out to me when you’re finished.” It was then that I realised that this was some top secret operation, and I really hoped it was the Alien prequel script that I’d been hearing about. I cracked the script, which was by John Spaihts, and sure enough, it was the Alien prequel. I thought it was really cool. I hadn’t been given any instructions as to what to do, or what it was that they wanted. So I just sent an email saying “These are all the things that I loved about it, here are the things that you might want to think about changing.” But who am I to say that?

IGN: So what did you suggest?

Lindelof: Essentially what I proposed to them was that the movie didn’t need to lean as heavily on the Alien tropes that we were all familiar with. Eggs, face-huggers, chest bursters, acid blood, xenomorphs. I said that stuff can be a part of this movie, but I don’t think it needs to be what the movie’s about. There are some other really cool ideas in here that you can flesh out and grow. And that’s what I would do. The next morning they said “Do you want to come in and talk more?” And that was the beginning of the next year of my life!

IGN: Did you feel the pressure of working on such a hugely popular franchise?

Lindelof: When you stop and you think about the pressure and the anxiety of what it would mean if you screwed up, you would never take the job in the first place. I think that one of the exciting things about this era of filmmaking is that people like me - who are essentially fanboys growing up on the stuff - can essentially cross culture and generation and work with Ridley who made it in the first place… Because at the end of the day, this movie isn’t about what John Spaits wanted it to be, or what I wanted it to be, it’s about what Ridley wanted it to be. And when you’re a screenwriter working for an iconic or visionary director, you’re just doing your best to ask them about a billion questions, in the same way that you’re talking to me right now. And you write down what they say and try to synthesise that into a screenplay. And then you try again and try again and try again and try not to get fired in the process. But ultimately, Ridley Scott hasn’t made a science-fiction movie in over 30 years, so if he wants to come back and do one there’s got to be something very special gnawing at him. A story that he wants to tell. And it was getting that on the page that was my job. This franchise is so much bigger than me. The biggest mistake I could have made would have been to try and infuse it with my sense of “This is what Damon Lindelof wants Alien to be.” It’s “Why is Ridley coming back? What does he want this movie to be about? What’s the story that he hasn’t told before. What are the things that he wants to revisit from the original Alien?" Let’s put those all in a pot together, throw them in the oven and see what happens.

IGN: Let’s get specific then – in your opinion, do these aliens want us to visit them?

Lindelof: That’s an excellent question and one that I’m not going to answer. But I will say that there’s something fascinating about humanity where we perceive it as an invitation. You look at a cave wall, there’s somebody pointing at some distant planets, and one interpretation is “This is where we come from” another is “We want you to come here.” Where are we drawing that from? I think another thing that’s interesting about the system that they visit is that the moon the land on in Prometheus is LV 223. And we know LV 426 is where the action takes place in Alien, so are they even in the right place? And how close are they to the place that these aliens on cave walls were directing them. Were they just extrapolating “This is the system that has the sun with the sustainable life.” So there’s a lot of guesswork. There’s a small line in the movie where David and Holloway are talking about David’s deconstruction of the language based on Holloway’s thesis, and he says “If your thesis is correct” and Holloway says “If it’s correct?” and David says “That’s why they call it a thesis Doctor.” And the reason we threw that in there is that we’re dealing with a highly hypothetical area in terms of who these beings are, what, if any invitation they issued, and who is responsible for making those cave paintings. And did something happen in between when those cave paintings were made - tens of thousands of years ago - and our arrival now, in 2093, 2,000 years after these things have perished. Did something happen in the intermediate period that we should be thinking about?

IGN: So have you got a plan for potential Prometheus sequels?

Lindelof: Sure, and obviously who knows if that’s’ going to happen. I think you have to design these things to have a certain degree of self-contained-ness. But obviously leave room for more. I think that Proemtheus wanted to have two children. One child grows up to be Alien, the other child grows up to become this other mysterious force where we’re heading off in a different direction and contemplating why it is our creators wanted to destroy us. This is a fundamentally interesting question looked at on a theological level, but also on a sci-fi level as well. In constructing those questions, Ridley wanted to know what the answers were as well, and we talked about those at great length, and then he determined what it was he wanted to put in the movie. I think that we had a very defined idea of why the Engineers put those paintings on cave walls, and why it is that they loaded ships full of death, as Shaw puts it at the end of the movie. So those answers are not definitively presented in Prometheus, though if you look through all the materials, I think that the evidence is all there to form a very informed opinion as to what happened, but I’m not going to tell you what my opinion is, as frustrating as it might be.

IGN: You’ve tackled Star Trek and now Alien – are there any other sci-fi franchises that you want to have a stab at?

Lindelof: I never thought that I’d get to a point in my life where I’d say this, but I think that I’m all spaced out in my career. Obviously not permanently, but for the time being. You couldn’t ask for two more divergent visions for the future. One very utopian, optimistic, primary colours – red, yellow and blue. Sleek, clean starships. Everyone on the earth gets along fantastically well. We’re not really interested in money. And the other universe is totally driven by corporate greed. Gritty. Dark. Full of deeply conflicted people. And a much more grounded vision of the future that was instilled in Alien and Blade Runner and carries on through into Prometheus. Having gotten to play in both those worlds, neither of which I made – you go to the store, you buy the play-set, you take the figures out and they all have to adhere to certain rules – I’m sort of more interested in doing something more original for the next couple of years, even if people hate it. And it’s very hard as you know to get movies made if they don’t have that kind of branding of “This is the familiar thing that I already know.” But I’m going to take a stab at it and see what happens before I come crying back for my mummy.

TwistedNadine
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Interesting though not as enlightening as I would like.

"And did something happen in between when those cave paintings were made - tens of thousands of years ago - and our arrival now, in 2093, 2,000 years after these things have perished. Did something happen in the intermediate period that we should be thinking about?"

Those drawings were tens of thousands of years ago? I thought they had said the most recent was only a few thousand. But I could have heard it wrong.

"I think that we had a very defined idea of why the Engineers put those paintings on cave walls, and why it is that they loaded ships full of death, as Shaw puts it at the end of the movie. So those answers are not definitively presented in Prometheus, though if you look through all the materials, I think that the evidence is all there to form a very informed opinion as to what happened"

I think Im missing the materials and evidence 'cause I dont feel like my opinion is very informed. I was wondering if maybe the drawings were warnings and not invitations. However, if they were done tens of thousands of years before then that doesnt make much sense either. When they do finalize Part 2 I hope they address some of this.

Still Servant
06-11-2012, 04:48 PM
I kind of feel the way you do, Feev. I posted this on your FB wall, but I will post it here as well:

I saw Prometheus last night and I really enjoyed it. I've been thinking about it all day which is a sign that I liked it. That being said, I felt that something was missing, but I couldn't quite put a finger on it.

Then it dawned on me. Much of the film centers around the room with the stone head that is full of the vases that contain aliens. My assumption was that they would eventually hatch and cause a lot of trouble. It felt like the film was building to that, yet it never happened.

I was hoping they would infest the ship and then the crew would have to fight them off on board Prometheus. After all, the film is named after the ship, you would think it would be natural to have a climatic battle aboard her. I really do feel that might have put the film over for me. There weren't as many scares as Alien and not as much action as Aliens. I wasn't looking for Battleship, but I thought a little more action might have helped.

Shannon
06-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Good discussion so far. I gave it a four out of five. I was disappointed because I was expecting something EPIC. Enjoyable movie, nothing special. A few thoughts:

1) I didn't catch the "beginning scene" guy creates all life on Earth thing until I got home. And, that goes right into my next point:

2) The black goo was so damn random! Check this out:

Engineer eats Black Goo = Life On Earth
Holloway eats Black Goo = Death
Holloway fucks Shaw = Squid Baby
Water Creature fucks Terraforming Guy = Zombie Terraforming Guy
Squid Baby fucks Engineer = Alien Ancestor

Ugh!

3) I hated the Zombie Terraforming Guy! It was too random and felt like a plot device to add more action to a slow part in the movie.

4) Vickers was a robot. Everything from the "Father" scene to her being able to throw David around in the hallway tells me this.

5) The 3D was pretty good. Not gimicky, not heavy. But the scenes with the HUD (heads up display - like you're looking through a visor or helmet) and Shaw's flashbacks were really great. So were the "in the throne room" scenes, with the star maps.

Shannon
06-11-2012, 05:48 PM
"Much of the film centers around the room with the stone head that is full of the vases that contain aliens. My assumption was that they would eventually hatch and cause a lot of trouble. It felt like the film was building to that, yet it never happened."

The black vases contain black goo. The ship was essentially a big bomb headed to Earth.

Still Servant
06-11-2012, 07:12 PM
"Much of the film centers around the room with the stone head that is full of the vases that contain aliens. My assumption was that they would eventually hatch and cause a lot of trouble. It felt like the film was building to that, yet it never happened."

The black vases contain black goo. The ship was essentially a big bomb headed to Earth.

Yeah, I got that, but instead of destroying Earth I was hoping that they would hatch and destroy Prometheus. Some other thoughts:

I think an interesting question is who programmed David to want to kill his parents and why? Why is he assuming that it’s a natural feeling for humans? The answers to these questions could be what the next few films revolve around.

I also have a theory as to why the aliens would leave a road map to a desolate military base. Maybe it’s a fail safe. Since they created humans they know that eventually they will have the ability to explore space. They also realized that something might happen to them where they are stuck on their planet.

It’s clear to me that the aliens needed human cells in order to become active again. The aliens knew that if something went pear shaped, the humans they created would come looking for them and reactive them just by being in the same room with them. Just a thought.

stkmw02
06-11-2012, 08:00 PM
We saw Prometheus in IMAX 3D on Sunday. I loved it! I loved the creation scene in the beginning. The ship is leaving and our Prometheus sacrifices himself to create life. He drink that interesting black goo that rips him apart on a molecular level, when his body falls into the water we see the DNA begin to reform and then the cells split... perhaps it was the life-sustaining elements of the planet that made this "creation" possible? The water may have acted as a catalyst for new life to be formed from the goo... while later, Charlie (only have a tiny drop of the goo dissolved in water) is burned before his body is ripped apart. Or, it could be that the black goo reacts differently with Charlie because he is a descendent of the "engineers" and his DNA is different?

I'll post more tomorrow. I have a lot of theories based on the original Greek myth.

fernandito
06-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Much of the film centers around the room with the stone head that is full of the vases that contain aliens. My assumption was that they would eventually hatch and cause a lot of trouble. It felt like the film was building to that, yet it never happened.

I was hoping they would infest the ship and then the crew would have to fight them off on board Prometheus. After all, the film is named after the ship, you would think it would be natural to have a climatic battle aboard her. I really do feel that might have put the film over for me. There weren't as many scares as Alien and not as much action as Aliens. I wasn't looking for Battleship, but I thought a little more action might have helped.

Yeah, a bit more action would have been nice. The film felt way too slow at times, a bit of action here or there would have helped spruce things up a bit.

The black goo was so damn random! Check this out:

Engineer eats Black Goo = Life On Earth
Holloway eats Black Goo = Death
Holloway fucks Shaw = Squid Baby
Water Creature fucks Terraforming Guy = Zombie Terraforming Guy
Squid Baby fucks Engineer = Alien Ancestor

Ugh!

Yeah, that was one of my main gripes. There's no discernible internal logic as to what the goo can or can't do. It simply does what the writers/story required it to do.

3) I hated the Zombie Terraforming Guy! It was too random and felt like a plot device to add more action to a slow part in the movie.

From a purely plot device standpoint, yeah it was muddled ... but god damn he looked freaky as hell didn't he ? :lol:

4) Vickers was a robot. Everything from the "Father" scene to her being able to throw David around in the hallway tells me this.

I'm sure she is. It was heavily hinted at but never confirmed.

I think an interesting question is who programmed David to want to kill his parents and why? Why is he assuming that it's a natural feeling for humans? The answers to these questions could be what the next few films revolve around.

Did David want to kill his father? It would seem his actions indicate otherwise. He infected Holloway to see what the goo would do to his body, presumably to see if it could benefit Weyland in some way.

I also have a theory as to why the aliens would leave a road map to a desolate military base. Maybe it's a fail safe. Since they created humans they know that eventually they will have the ability to explore space.

This is a theory I like too. Maybe they meant to nurture the growth of the aliens and then leave them there on that planet and take off ?

It's clear to me that the aliens needed human cells in order to become active again. The aliens knew that if something went pear shaped, the humans they created would come looking for them and reactive them just by being in the same room with them. Just a thought.

Well the Engineer was manually awoken by an android, not a human. Going back to the previous portion, I'm thinking that the Engineers meant to set up the throne room with the giant face to be self sustaining. Maybe they would take off and leave that portion of the ship behind for when humans ultimately came around ?

We saw Prometheus in IMAX 3D on Sunday. I loved it! I loved the creation scene in the beginning. The ship is leaving and our Prometheus sacrifices himself to create life. He drink that interesting black goo that rips him apart on a molecular level, when his body falls into the water we see the DNA begin to reform and then the cells split... perhaps it was the life-sustaining elements of the planet that made this "creation" possible? The water may have acted as a catalyst for new life to be formed from the goo... while later, Charlie (only have a tiny drop of the goo dissolved in water) is burned before his body is ripped apart. Or, it could be that the black goo reacts differently with Charlie because he is a descendent of the "engineers" and his DNA is different?

I'll post more tomorrow. I have a lot of theories based on the original Greek myth.

Remember that film goes to pain staking lengths to remind us that our blood and the engineer's blood is identical, so the goo should have done to him what it did to the engineer (theoretically). Going back to the inconsistencies.

Oh, and I just came across this online ...

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/promeorigin.jpg

Shannon
06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
LOL, I love that Species Origin thing, it read my mind completely lol.

Still Servant
06-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm not really sure if anybody has talked about it here, but one of the other interesting questions is was the Engineer trying to kill humans and headed for Earth? Remember, the engineer was pretty docile until David started talking to him, then he went ape shit. We have no idea what David said to the engineer. It's entirely possible he was like, "Yo, these human bitches are about to kill yo ass then they're going to head to your planet and merk your homeboys." That's when the engineer was like, "I don't think so, Tim!"

I think it's very possible that the engineers are not trying to kill us. It's unfortunate that it may turn out that Shaw helps destroy the very creators of human life, while unknowingly being destroyed by humans very own creation (David). A tragic thought indeed.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I've read most of these comments, which have been very helpful in my understanding of the movie, which I saw in 3D and which I liked very, very much.

TwistedNadine
06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I think it's very possible that the engineers are not trying to kill us..

Interesting theory. What proof did the crew members have that:

A) this planet was an outpost and not the home planet (with all the engineers now dead)? (I recall the Captain first saying it but based on what exactly?)

B) That the Engineers PURPOSEFULLY morphed the black goo into a bio-weapon? Perhaps it was not something they had intended at all but, as mentioned, it got away from them. This black goo stuff - as seen in the (funny) Species Origin graphic - morphs differently depending on how it is ingested, digested, impregnated etc. So maybe ti was changing on its own without the engineers doing it on purpose. The big room with all the metal pods containing black goo and the God like head seemed to be a storage room. But there didnt seem to be a whole lot of precautions to ensure the black goo was secure. If the intended use was a bio-weapon and the Engineers knew it was deadly to them as well as us wouldnt they have stored this stuff in a much more secure location with lock downs and air tight vaults?

mystima
06-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Here is a theory that might get yelled at...lol...what if the goo went bad? What if it wasn't stored properly and it "spoiled"? You never know what would happen to a chemical compound if it sat in a container for thousands of years...maybe one of the components from the container contaminated the goo and changed the chemical make up? Just a theory...not one that is actually true...lol.

stkmw02
06-13-2012, 07:26 AM
I get that human DNA and Engineer DNA is ultimately "the same"... but I see it as a copy. So, much like making a copy of a copy results in a less perfect print... using the goo on a goo-created life form must result in a different species?

Also, I think it's interesting that this movie ends with Shaw and David heading for the Engineer's "home planet". In Alien, we see the Engineers... and the face huggers etc. We also see a crashed ship, similar to the ship in Prometheus. I haven't seen Alien in a few years, but... I'm wondering if that distress signal is from Shaw? If the planet they visit in Alien is the "home planet" that Shaw traveled to?

Something that bothered me.... the canisters of the black goo are arranged in a way that doesn't quite fit with the weaponry idea. The giant sculpted face suggests that the room is some sort of a shrine and these canisters are arranged carefully around the ground. In the other room, they are stacked to form giant pillars. Not exactly the type of presentation for bombs/biohazards/weapons. It seems more of a religious thing than a weapons thing...
Plus, we can see the Alien in one of the carvings - so Shaw's baby isn't the "first" as some have suggested - that also seems reminiscent of the crucifix, the placement and presentation is once again suggestive of something revered.

Bev Vincent
06-13-2012, 07:29 AM
The interesting thing about this film is that, regardless of how people feel about it, they want to discuss it. That doesn't happen often.

fernandito
06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
I think it's very possible that the engineers are not trying to kill us..

Interesting theory. What proof did the crew members have that:

A) this planet was an outpost and not the home planet (with all the engineers now dead)? (I recall the Captain first saying it but based on what exactly?)

They didn't have any proof .. more like they surmised it based on the fact that 1) there were no other signs of life on the planet except for the ship, and 2) the ship didn't seem like an enviroment meant to sustain life, more like it was there to forge weapons.

B) That the Engineers PURPOSEFULLY morphed the black goo into a bio-weapon? Perhaps it was not something they had intended at all but, as mentioned, it got away from them. This black goo stuff - as seen in the (funny) Species Origin graphic - morphs differently depending on how it is ingested, digested, impregnated etc. So maybe ti was changing on its own without the engineers doing it on purpose. The big room with all the metal pods containing black goo and the God like head seemed to be a storage room. But there didnt seem to be a whole lot of precautions to ensure the black goo was secure. If the intended use was a bio-weapon and the Engineers knew it was deadly to them as well as us wouldnt they have stored this stuff in a much more secure location with lock downs and air tight vaults?

Hmmm ... maybe they always knew it was deadly but figured that they would be able to always have it under control ?

Also, I think it's interesting that this movie ends with Shaw and David heading for the Engineer's "home planet". In Alien, we see the Engineers... and the face huggers etc. We also see a crashed ship, similar to the ship in Prometheus. I haven't seen Alien in a few years, but... I'm wondering if that distress signal is from Shaw? If the planet they visit in Alien is the "home planet" that Shaw traveled to?

Well Prometheus takes place around 2092, and the Alien film takes place in the year 2122 ... 30 year gap ... I suppose it's possible, depending how long Shaw and David end up traveling. I can't imagine that a distress signal would be broadcasting in outer space for over 30 years. Or maybe it is possible?

Something that bothered me.... the canisters of the black goo are arranged in a way that doesn't quite fit with the weaponry idea. The giant sculpted face suggests that the room is some sort of a shrine and these canisters are arranged carefully around the ground. In the other room, they are stacked to form giant pillars. Not exactly the type of presentation for bombs/biohazards/weapons. It seems more of a religious thing than a weapons thing...
Plus, we can see the Alien in one of the carvings - so Shaw's baby isn't the "first" as some have suggested - that also seems reminiscent of the crucifix, the placement and presentation is once again suggestive of something revered.

Good observations! Perhaps for the Engineers, the 'religious' and warfare aspects of what they're there to accomplish go hand in hand ?

The interesting thing about this film is that, regardless of how people feel about it, they want to discuss it. That doesn't happen often.

Just like LOST :)

fernandito
06-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Also, a very , very detailed review of Prometheus by a writer whose been a lifelong Alien fan all his life. He provides some very interesting theories, AND it features an interview with Scott himself.

Here's the link

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/06/14/prometheus-to-create-you-must-destroy/#more-161490

And here is a piece of the Scott interview that I want to focus on

"In the interview, Scott confirms quite a few interesting things. Firstly, the Engineers (Space Jockeys) are not the gods. They’re dark angels – hostile, aggressive outcasts. Secondly, a key influence in the formation of the story was John Milton’s Paradise Lost."

Ricky
06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Got back from Prometheus today and really, really enjoyed it. Like some people, there are some things that bothered me about it or could've been done better, but overall I thought it was great!

My thoughts too ... this brings up a question : if the murals on Earth are indeed an 'invitation', why did the Engineers leave an invitation to their desolate military base and NOT their home planet ?

Something that I was pondering: Shaw and Co. refer to it as an "invitation", but what if it's actually a warning? A warning by the mural "painters" not to go poking around up there?

This is one of the things that I wasn't too keen on. I was hoping/thinking that the movie would be self-contained, but a lot of the plot elements have a "to be continued" aspect to them. Cool sequel set-up? Or plot cop-out? I think it's a mixture of both.

Yes! I definitely got a crucifix allegory too. And I went into Barnes and Noble after I saw the film and saw a PROMETHEUS book (very cool, by the way) where Ridley says that the head/arrangement of the room is a kind of shrine, like a testament/reminder of their accomplishments in creating life on Earth.

And I agree the the display of the cannisters didn't really seem like a weapons thing. It looked to me to be more...revered. Maybe they were proud of the goo and its (seemingly) multi-purpose uses?

Overall, I think the big thing that bothered me (and I think Mike brought this up, too) was that there seemed to be such focus and curiosity about the goo/cannisters, but then it didn't really go anywhere. I was hoping there'd be some more plot development on that.

But one of the many things that I'll praise the film for was that I actually cared about the characters, which is something I've never been able to say about Alien, Event Horizon, or any "spacey" movies like that. Noomi's Shaw and Charlize's Vickers were stand-outs for me and I loved both the characterization and acting. Loved it.

I'm sure I'll have some more to post (still getting my thoughts in order), but that's what I have for now!

RUBE
06-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Something that is missing from the species origin chart is:

Black goo + maggot = giant, deadly, snake-like, vagina-faced, penis

JK. I really liked this movie but it did not live up to how much I had hyped it up for myself.

I do have a different theory on the goo than what I have seen here so far. Maybe the goo is just the medium for the technology and it can be programmed different ways. One way creates a diverse population of life while the other creates a highly adaptable living weapon. Either way creates something that evolves over time. While the former takes thousands of years, the latter just does it more rapidly. The aliens from the other movies did come out differently depending on their host and could merge with humans as seen in the fourth movie. Obviously in this movie the weapon is also constantly adapting itself to form the more perfect organism. Don't forget that aliens burst out of the pile of dead engineers and the squid would have burst out of Shaw if she had not removed it, so that is at least one consistent feature of creatures created by the black goo.

Of course, this could be totally wrong and the black goo is just the engineers' attempt at making the perfect organism. They thought maybe we would be it and we turned out wrong. Now they have created this highly adaptable form of life and want to replace us with it. Thus being the reason they had it loaded up on ships set to go our way. Only problem was that the organism was more adaptable than they thought and the experiment backfired.

Also, I think David just malfunctioned and developed two emotions: Anger at his father (also seen in Vickers) and jealousy towards everyone that his father said "has a soul." He set things in motion to screw up his dad's plans and to take revenge on all of the humans that were more real than him. As we know from Bishop in Aliens, the early models were always "twitchy."

RUBE
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Sorry to double post but I thought I should respond to this. It may be too late since you posted several days ago but in a way there is gratuitous sex in this movie. It is just not confined to one species with another from its species. Quite awhile back I read that the original writer O'Bannon came up with the idea for Alien because he thought the scariest thing that a man could have happen to him was to be orally raped. That is essentially what the face-huggers are doing. And this violation is very prominent in this movie. In the same article, they said that was also the reason there are some very penis-like qualities to the original Alien (see its head, tongue, and the scene in the first movie where it looks like the alien is about to probe a woman with its tail). This article could have been BS but it is hard to deny some of the similarities between some of the attacks and sexual acts.

Here was a quote from the Alien Wiki to back this up:

"Critics have also analyzed Alien's sexual overtones. Adrian Mackinder compares the facehugger's attack on Kane to a male rape and the chestburster scene to a form of violent birth, noting that the Alien's phallic head and method of killing the crew members add to the sexual imagery.[64] Dan O'Bannon has argued that the scene is a metaphor for the male fear of penetration, and that the "oral invasion" of Kane by the facehugger functions as "payback" for the many horror films in which sexually vulnerable women are attacked by male monsters.[104] McIntee claims that "Alien is a rape movie as much as Straw Dogs (1971) or I Spit on Your Grave (1978), or The Accused (1988). On one level it's about an intriguing alien threat. On one level it's about parasitism and disease. And on the level that was most important to the writers and director, it's about sex, and reproduction by non-consensual means. And it's about this happening to a man."[105] He notes how the film plays on men's fear and misunderstanding of pregnancy and childbirth, while also giving women a glimpse into these fears.[106] Film analyst Lina Badley has written that the Alien's design, with strong Freudian sexual undertones, multiple phallic symbols, and overall feminine figure, provides an androgynous image conforming to archetypal mappings and imageries in horror films that often redraw gender lines.[107] O'Bannon himself later described the sexual imagery in Alien as overt and intentional: "One thing that people are all disturbed about is sex... I said 'That's how I'm going to attack the audience; I'm going to attack them sexually. And I'm not going to go after the women in the audience, I'm going to attack the men. I am going to put in every image I can think of to make the men in the audience cross their legs. Homosexual oral rape, birth. The thing lays its eggs down your throat, the whole number.'"[108]"

NSFW:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/H.R._Giger_-_Necronom_IV.jpg/200px-H.R._Giger_-_Necronom_IV.jpg

Anyway, not trying to discourage you from watching but you did ask if there was sexual content and I think that this shows there is.

Shannon
06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Very nice, Rube! I didn't even put two and two together with the maggots and black goo = worm monster. Wow.

Bev Vincent
06-15-2012, 02:15 AM
A teacher of religion and philosophy goes deep on "Prometheus." Correspondent Omer Mozaffar, on Roger Ebert's site (http://blogs.suntimes.com/foreignc/2012/06/symbols-more-real-than-reality.html)

Ricky
06-15-2012, 07:44 AM

I didn't catch the goo + maggot thing either. Nice catch.

I do have a different theory on the goo than what I have seen here so far. Maybe the goo is just the medium for the technology and it can be programmed different ways. One way creates a diverse population of life while the other creates a highly adaptable living weapon. Either way creates something that evolves over time. While the former takes thousands of years, the latter just does it more rapidly.

I like this theory a lot. Something to be used for either creation or destruction.

And I was just thinking last night about why the Engineers would want to destroy the life they created on Earth. Here's my theory:

The goo turned on the Engineers after they loaded up the ship with the intent on destroying life on Earth. And why were they intent on destroying life on Earth? Because they could. Kind of like erasing pencil marks. A mistake. Just like Shaw's with her "birth", they didn't want to live with the knowledge that an intelligent race just like theirs is rivaling their own. And why didn't Shaw want the creature inside of her? Because she was afraid of what it may lead to, so she aborts it (without consideration of its life). Now I'm not necessarily advocating for the Engineers' decision to destroy life on Earth, but if we share the same DNA with them, it would make sense that our thought patterns and emotions (?) would be similar as well. Fear and child-like thought processes are huge concepts that are present all over in the film so I think that this explanation is possible, if not probable.

TwistedNadine
06-15-2012, 08:56 PM

Very funny - and very true!

Also, I think David just malfunctioned and developed two emotions: Anger at his father (also seen in Vickers) and jealousy towards everyone that his father said "has a soul." He set things in motion to screw up his dad's plans and to take revenge on all of the humans that were more real than him. As we know from Bishop in Aliens, the early models were always "twitchy."

My argument with this is that robots are not supposed to have emotions. Even malfunctioning robots (original movie Alien) shouldnt display emotions. Not having a soul they are supposedly incapable of any feelings or emotions per se' and function strictly based on programmed goals and objectives. Give a computer a virus and it doesnt start feeling jealous or angry. It just doesnt perform the functions you ask it to perform. In Davids case I think it more likely that he had other programmed objectives that wasnt made clear to us the viewers

RUBE
06-16-2012, 07:29 AM
I realize that David SHOULDN'T have emotions but the way the character was played he sure seemed to have emotions, especially when his maker slighted him. Remember that conversation he had with Charlie about why the engineers created humans and why humans had created him? When he said how would you feel if they had created you just because they could and Charlie answered that it was a good thing David couldn't feel anything, David's expression sure didn't seem to be void of emotion. He seemed upset and it seemed to help him finalize his decision to "poison" Charlie. If nothing else, David was programmed to act like he felt emotions and react the way he thinks a human would react to those emotions.

Also, I know that all of the robots in the Alien series are programmed with secret agendas so I am not discounting that. To me it seemed that he started to stray from his agenda especially when he got Weyland killed and helped get the engineer going on his mission to destroy mankind. There would be no reason for his programming to call for that. Which led me back to him experiencing something like anger and jealousy. Remember he said something about humans killing their parents as well. It seemed he wanted to kill his parents.

Shannon
06-16-2012, 08:40 AM
The whole "killing your parents" line isn't meant to be taken so literally, I think. A big motivation in life, for everyone/most people is to grow up and be "better" than your parents. To succeed, to become a success. Whether that means fame, wealth, a good family, a special job, the car you drive, the restaurants you go to, the way you live your life, it's different to everyone.

"My mother drives a minivan, my father drives an old truck that is falling apart. I drive a 2012 Camaro. I win."

THAT kind of mentality.

Now, onto David. I don't think he had emotions, I don't think he broke protocol, I don't think he betrayed Weyland at all. David was an absorber. He absorbed every little thing he could get his hands onto. Movies, bicycling, basketball. He wanted to fill his robot brain with as much knowledge as possible. That was his programming. So, when new stimuli was placed in front of him (the keypad to the doorway, the black ooze, the starmap computer thing), he went straight for it. He didn't have to listen to Vickers, he didn't have to listen to Shaw or Holloway, he had to listen to Weyland. And Weyland said to push harder. So that's what he did. He took the black ooze and did an experiment with Holloway. But to be fair, he even ASKED Holloway if it was OK. Granted, Holloway didn't know what was going on, but that didn't matter much to David. It all came back to Weyland. He obeys Weyland before everything else, even Weyland's own safety. When the old man who is on his last days tells David to take him to see an unpredictable Engineer, David obeys. No concern for safety, no thoughts about what could happen.

RUBE
06-16-2012, 02:43 PM
I can accept that explanation but they at least wanted us to consider the possibility that David has emotions or they would not have focused on him like they did when Weyland said he had no soul. You are definitely right that his curiosity (mixed with the company orders) led to many of the things that went wrong.

Now if Vickers was a robot like some are saying then you would definitely have to admit they had emotions. Personally I don't think she was. I think that having Weyland as a father made her like a soulless robot. Heck, even competing with David for their father's affection probably contributed to her coldness.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
If Vickers is a robot, where can I order one?

Shannon
06-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Would you like Model A or B?

http://www.moviespad.com/photos/charlize-theron-monster-weight-gain-835ab.jpg

DoctorDodge
06-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Shit, I still need to see Monster. That's one hell of a makeup job, though!

Merlin1958
06-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I realize that David SHOULDN'T have emotions but the way the character was played he sure seemed to have emotions, especially when his maker slighted him. Remember that conversation he had with Charlie about why the engineers created humans and why humans had created him? When he said how would you feel if they had created you just because they could and Charlie answered that it was a good thing David couldn't feel anything, David's expression sure didn't seem to be void of emotion. He seemed upset and it seemed to help him finalize his decision to "poison" Charlie. If nothing else, David was programmed to act like he felt emotions and react the way he thinks a human would react to those emotions.

Also, I know that all of the robots in the Alien series are programmed with secret agendas so I am not discounting that. To me it seemed that he started to stray from his agenda especially when he got Weyland killed and helped get the engineer going on his mission to destroy mankind. There would be no reason for his programming to call for that. Which led me back to him experiencing something like anger and jealousy. Remember he said something about humans killing their parents as well. It seemed he wanted to kill his parents.

Just saw this an hour ago. I think David was programmed with an attempt at displaying emotions. Remember the conversation regarding the helmet?

Also, I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and I gotta say, IMHO, for the most part you folks are reading too much into this movie. Not that I didn't enjoy it, I did immensely, nor that it didn't make you think, it did. But I thought that for the most part it was fairly straightforward SciFi really well done. The only "Questions" to discuss are why the Engineers created us and then wanted to kill us. That seemed very to the point. My theory is that maybe they screwed up their own eco-system and needed a new planet. It seemed fairly obvious as well, that the Black goo/water somehow got away from them before departure.

It did leave a silly hole between it and "Alien", but I suppose another "Engineer" could have survived on another ship and then been impregnated with the "Alien" from the end. They left an obvious hole for a sequel in Shaw. And David didn't really seem to have any "Agenda" than what Weyland had determined.

Really, really enjoyed this flick, Top notch SciFi!!!

What's with Lindelof and "The Water of Life" theme? It smacked of "Lost"!!!!! LOL

TwistedNadine
06-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Nicely put Merlin. I also enjoyed the movie but being a hard core Alien fan I was disappointed with the lack of tie in. I was hoping for some Alien questions answered but found at the end of the movie I had he same Alien questions and a whole list of added new ones. However, I think your right. It was a pretty good straight forward ScFi flick with a lead into a Part II.

fernandito
06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Now, onto David. I don't think he had emotions, I don't think he broke protocol, I don't think he betrayed Weyland at all. David was an absorber. He absorbed every little thing he could get his hands onto. Movies, bicycling, basketball. He wanted to fill his robot brain with as much knowledge as possible. That was his programming. So, when new stimuli was placed in front of him (the keypad to the doorway, the black ooze, the starmap computer thing), he went straight for it. He didn't have to listen to Vickers, he didn't have to listen to Shaw or Holloway, he had to listen to Weyland. And Weyland said to push harder. So that's what he did. He took the black ooze and did an experiment with Holloway. But to be fair, he even ASKED Holloway if it was OK. Granted, Holloway didn't know what was going on, but that didn't matter much to David. It all came back to Weyland. He obeys Weyland before everything else, even Weyland's own safety. When the old man who is on his last days tells David to take him to see an unpredictable Engineer, David obeys. No concern for safety, no thoughts about what could happen.

I don't think David felt emotions either, but he understood the chemical reactions behind them. When Holloway tells him that he doesn't have a soul and that he was created 'just cuz' it seemed as though David flinched for a split second, alluding to having been 'hurt' by his words... again, I don't think he feltanger but his programming understood the implications; and remember, he's meant to look and act like a human ("More human than human") so him showing visible signs of emotion even though he's not necessarily feeling them isn't out of the equation.

Now if Vickers was a robot like some are saying then you would definitely have to admit they had emotions. Personally I don't think she was. I think that having Weyland as a father made her like a soulless robot. Heck, even competing with David for their father's affection probably contributed to her coldness.

I don't know, she seemed to (wo)man handle David with relative ease ... if she isn't a robot, then she has some pretty ungodly strength for such a scrawny woman.

Also, I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and I gotta say, IMHO, for the most part you folks are reading too much into this movie. Not that I didn't enjoy it, I did immensely, nor that it didn't make you think, it did. But I thought that for the most part it was fairly straightforward SciFi really well done. The only "Questions" to discuss are why the Engineers created us and then wanted to kill us. That seemed very to the point.

Don't agree with this at all. It seems like an overly simplistic way to view the film. A movie doesn't have to be a narrative snakepit to be thought provoking or substantial. The film raises some pretty interesting moral and existential questions for us to mull over; a lack of purpose behind the creation of life, the creation wanting to understand the creator, the plethora of biblical references in the film (Elizabeth's name, Weyland's feet being washed before he dies, the necklace etc.,) ... who is God? Why did he create the Engineers ? Is he God simply becuase he created them ? Are the Engineers Gods for having created humans? Are humans Gods for creating the androids ? Is there a purpose in creating life beyond "just cuz"? The film challenges the assumption that life is special or sacred, it makes you think about what it really means to exist.

There is probably a lot more subtext and themes that went over my head the first time, the film is rich with symbols and embedded ideas. You just have to know where to look.

Merlin1958
06-18-2012, 02:32 PM
And sometimes a movie is just there to entertain and make money. It was thought provoking, but just maybe no to the extent you're reading into it. Then again, to each his own. Whatever makes the film more enjoyable to you or anyone else the better.

fernandito
06-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Uh yeah, isn't making money one of the primary functions of a wide release film ? Or book ? Or game ? Or comic ? The actors aren't going to pay themselves ya know :lol:

DoctorDodge
06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
And sometimes a movie is just there to entertain and make money. It was thought provoking, but just maybe no to the extent you're reading into it. Then again, to each his own. Whatever makes the film more enjoyable to you or anyone else the better.

Aren't the best films/tv series/whatever perfectly acceptable as both? If a story works on two levels - both as pure entertainment while providing plenty food for thought - then in my opinion that's a great story that can provide both a personal and wide-ranging experience with both an enjoyable time and huge amount of discussion on what else it could provide on another level. (It's one reason why, with all the depth and psychology and philosophy it presents, that I'm amazed feev isn't as big a fan of Life on Mars as he is of Lost, but never mind! :lol:) While I didn't think it was the best film of the year, I am glad that it's got us all thinking at least, and it was enjoyable, too.

Merlin1958
06-18-2012, 03:16 PM

Aren't the best films/tv series/whatever perfectly acceptable as both? If a story works on two levels - both as pure entertainment while providing plenty food for thought - then in my opinion that's a great story that can provide both a personal and wide-ranging experience with both an enjoyable time and huge amount of discussion on what else it could provide on another level. (It's one reason why, with all the depth and psychology and philosophy it presents, that I'm amazed feev isn't as big a fan of Life on Mars as he is of Lost, but never mind! :lol:) While I didn't think it was the best film of the year, I am glad that it's got us all thinking at least, and it was enjoyable, too.

Oh. I agree. I was being a bit more specific in that I don't think it was intended for the multiple layers of Meta-Physical discussion. Again though, that's just me!!!! Folks have written entire novels describing the "symbolism" in LOTR and the author clearly stated "It's just a story". If you want to look for symbolism and depth you'll invariably find it. Doesn't mean it was intended from the start. Matter of fact, that's a Lindelof signature!!!! LOL

DoctorDodge
06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Hey, it ain't worth shit what the writer intended, it's what people can base arguments from what he's written that counts! :lol:

fernandito
06-25-2012, 07:26 AM
A great collection of quotes from both Scott and Lindelof addressing some of the films more pressing questions. Also, Prometheus 2 is all but officially confirmed. Read on !

The Beginning: Creation of Life

Ridley Scott: "[The] sequence at the beginning of the film that is fundamentally creation. It's a donation, in the sense that the weight and the construction of the DNA of those aliens is way beyond what we can possibly imagine." Source: The Playlist

Ridley Scott: "The guy at the beginning is simply donating himself, no stranger than the Aztecs or Incas would choose some poor bugger, at the beginning saying 'right, you're it, in the year you get all the girls you want, all the food you want, blah blah, and at the end of the year we're going to take your heart, take it out, squeeze it, and w're going to get jolly good crops and good weather next year.' It's no more than that, he's into a form of donation, except his DNA is so powerful, each molecule is like a timebomb. So, we only set our standards by what we know here, which makes us essentially naive. We don't, we can't conceive of galloping DNA: I release that on the desk, and in a second I've got a cotton wool ball going black. We can't conceive that because it's not in your frame of experience. So you've got to take your brain, put it on the side, and when you enter the movie just let yourself breathe." Source: Slashgear

Ridley Scott: "You're either going to believe in the fact that we're by entirely genetic luck, so from day one where you have atomic storms -- inconceivable storms that will go on in this nucleus, in which the dirt bowl will find some reason to start growth on everything -- was that created? That may have been accidental, because I think there are many of those out there. But then the idea that, is there a higher force in the universe, comes the question: is it God, or are there superior beings out there? You stand and look at the stars at night in the galaxy out there, it's entirely ridiculous to believe that we are it. You mean this is it? We're sitting in this room, I’ve got this fucking cappuccino, and up there there’s no-one else? I don’t think so!" Source: Slashgear

"Big things have small beginnings." -- David, citing Lawrence of Arabia

Is it Earth?

Ridley Scott: "No, it doesn't have to be. That could be anywhere. That could be a planet anywhere. All he's doing is acting as a gardener in space. And the plant life, in fact, is the disintegration of himself. If you parallel that idea with other sacrificial elements in history -- which are clearly illustrated with the Mayans and the Incas -- he would live for one year as a prince, and at the end of that year, he would be taken and donated to the gods in hopes of improving what might happen next year, be it with crops or weather, etc., etc." Source: The Playlist

Martin Hill (WETA Visual Effects Supervisor), about the sequence: "Because we had such a short amount of time to tell the story of the DNA getting infected, breaking apart, and then re-forming and recombining to show Earth DNA, we had to make the designs of the different DNA quite graphical, quite illustrative of what they were." Source: MTV

About Weyland

Ridley Scott: "There's a scene in the script that we decided not to shoot, where we see the inside of that dream, and basically David takes a jetski out with a beautiful woman in a bikini, to a yacht, and on the yacht is Weyland. Played by Guy, without old-age make-up: this is his dream. And they have a scene together, and in that scene David says 'the engineers are dead, they’re all gone, mission failure' and Weyland says 'go back and try harder.' And we rewrote it so that we were going to play Weyland’s identify closed, give the audience a sense that [David] was talking to someone on the ship but not view them." Source: Slashgear

What Does the Black Substance Do?

Damon Lindelof: "I think that one of the things that I love about Ridley’s movies, and have loved long before I worked with him -- and it's very surreal to be on the inside of; thirty-some odd years after Blade Runner we're all still talking about whether or not Deckard is a robot. So there's a speculative part of it, so the question becomes 'what does the black goo do?' That is the question that you're supposed to be asking coming out of this movie. The movie demonstrates what it does in certain circumstances. So, here's what it does if it gets on worms; here's what it does if it gets on your face; here's what it does if someone just puts a little bit of it in your drink. So, now we see that that lots of this is headed to Earth. Now, you used the word 'weapon,' you're extrapolating that based on the theory [Prometheus captain] Janek has, because it looks like a payload to him: all these ships are loaded with this stuff, and they're headed for Earth. The intent has to be to wipe us out, or is it to evolve us, or is it for something else?"

Damon Lindelof: These are all hopefully questions and points of debate – frustrating for some -- but ultimately the kind of science-fiction... why the two movies that Ridley did decades ago are still being discussed, is this idea that when you walk out of the theater that you have to go into a community and start to discuss 'well, wait a minute, this is what I think happened,' and you're hopefully mirroring the conversation that the characters are having in the movie, and more importantly this is why Shaw says what she says at the end of the movie. Which is, 'I’m not going back to Earth and calling it a day, I need to know a little bit more about what's happening here.'" Source: Slashgear

Why does David Infect Holloway?

Damon Lindelof: "I'd say that the short answer is: That's his programming. In the scene preceding him doing that, he is talking to Weyland (although we don't know it at the time) and he's telling Weyland that this is a bust. That they haven't found anything on this mission other than the stuff in the vials. And Weyland presumably says to him, "Well, what's in the vials?" And David would say, "I'm not entirely sure, we'll have to run some experiments." And Weyland would say, "What would happen if you put it in inside a person?" And David would say, "I don't know, I'll go find out." He doesn't know that he's poisoning Holloway, he asks Holloway, "What would you be willing to do to get the answers to your questions?" Holloway says, "Anything and everything." And that basically overrides whatever ethical programming David is mandated by, [allowing him] to spike his drink." Source: io9.com

About the Theme of Birth

Ridley Scott: "[...] I think dropping that stuff in earlier, [Shaw] saying 'I can’t conceive,' was absolutely the right, perfect thing to do. Which then, after that -- because they then relate to each other, consummate, and the following day by God she's pregnant -- once she's pregnant, I have to see it, I have to see what that is. And because it's extreme, galloping DNA, whatever that is that's creating this monstrous thing growing inside of her – he says 'you look three months pregnant;' in 25 minutes she now looks eight months pregnant – that's inconceivable for us, because we don't understand it. But I think probably way up there somewhere, it's entirely feasible. You've got to show it, you've gotta do it." Source: Slashgear

"The trick, Mr. Potter, is not minding it hurts." -- David, citing Lawrence of Arabia

Who are the Engineers?

Ridley Scott: "Who pushed Earth along? Have we been previsited by gods or aliens? The fact that they'd be at least a billion years ahead of us in technology is daunting, and one might use the word God or gods or engineers of life in space." Source: New York Times

Ridley Scott: "In a funny kind of way, if you look at the Engineers, they’re tall and elegant. They are dark angels. If you look at 'Paradise Lost,' the guys who have the best time in the story are the dark angels, not God. So boil it all down, and humanity was the offspring of some dark/rogue angels? That would seem to be the gist of it, and we guess that's where a Prometheus 2 would go if/when that should ever happen. Now Prometheus is ready to go off in its own direction on its own entirely different tangent that is not going to be reliant on the things we’ve seen a thousand times before." Source: The Playlist

Did the Engineers Want us to Visit Them?

Damon Lindelof: "I will say that there's something fascinating about humanity where we perceive it as an invitation. You look at a cave wall, there's somebody pointing at some distant planets, and one interpretation is 'This is where we come from' another is 'We want you to come here.' Where are we drawing that from? I think another thing that's interesting about the system that they visit is that the moon they land on in Prometheus is LV 223. And we know LV 426 is where the action takes place in Alien, so are they even in the right place? And how close are they to the place that these aliens on cave walls were directing them. Were they just extrapolating 'this is the system that has the sun with the sustainable life.' So there's a lot of guesswork. There's a small line in the movie where David and Holloway are talking about David's deconstruction of the language based on Holloway's thesis, and he says 'If your thesis is correct' and Holloway says 'if it's correct?' and David says 'that’s why they call it a thesis Doctor.' And the reason we threw that in there is that we're dealing with a highly hypothetical area in terms of who these beings are, what, if any, invitation they issued, and who is responsible for making those cave paintings. And did something happen in between when those cave paintings were made -- tens of thousands of years ago -- and our arrival now, in 2093, 2,000 years after these things have perished? Did something happen in the intermediate period that we should be thinking about?" Source: IGN

Why do the Engineers Want to Destroy the Humans?

Ridley Scott: "God doesn't hate us. But God could be disappointed in us — like children." Source: New York Times

Damon Lindelof: "I think that we had a very defined idea of why the Engineers put those paintings on cave walls, and why it is that they loaded ships full of death, as Shaw puts it at the end of the movie. So those answers are not definitively presented in Prometheus, though if you look through all the materials, I think that the evidence is all there to form a very informed opinion as to what happened, but I'm not going to tell you what my opinion is, as frustrating as it might be." Source: IGN

Damon Lindelof: "But I do feel like, embedded in this movie are the fundamental ideas behind why it is the Engineers would want to wipe us out. The movie asks the question, were we created by these beings? And it answers that question very definitively. But in the wake of that answer there's a new question, which is, they created us but now they want to destroy us, why did they change their minds? That's the question that Shaw is asking at the end of this movie, the one that she wants answered. I do think that there are a lot of hints in this movie; that we give you quite an educated guess as to why. But obviously not to the detriment of what Shaw might find when she goes to talk to these things herself." Source: io9.com

Ridley Scott: "If you look at it as an 'our children are misbehaving down there' scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, 'Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it.' Guess what? They crucified him." Source: The Playlist

Ridley Scott, about the audio/video message transmitted by the humans: "Did you get what the message was about? That would be a constant, from takeoff you'd be constantly replaying that, hoping that somebody's gonna say 'don’t come any further, I'm gonna to blow you out of the sky.' In there, there would be every conceivable form of mathematics equation, and anyone who is superior is going to look at that for three seconds and say 'we've got chimpanzees on the way.' So, it's an assessment of who's coming, basically, it makes sense." Source: Slashgear

Damon Lindelof: "The gods want to limit their creations; they might want to dethrone God." Source: New York Times

[I]"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life." -- translation of what David says (about Peter Weyland) to the Engineer.

On Prometheus and Religion

Damon Lindelof: "Hey, a bunch of humans seeking out their creator. David knows exactly who created him, and he is not impressed by his creator."

Ridley Scott: "I do despair. That's a heavy word, but picking up a newspaper every day, how can you not despair at what's happening in the world, and how we're represented as human beings? The disappointments and corruption are dismaying at every level. And the biggest source of evil is of course religion. [...] Everyone is tearing each other apart in the name of their personal god. And the irony is, by definition, they're probably worshipping the same god. [...] I'm really intrigued by those eternal questions of creation and belief and faith. I don't care who you are, it's what we all think about. It's in the back of all our minds." Source: Esquire

Damon Lindelof: "I'm most definitively pro-science, but I think that the movie advances the idea that, can the two live along side each other? Is it possible to be a scientist and maintain some fungible faith in the unknown? And are you rewarded for having blind faith? I do think that the movie is making the meta-commentary in saying well Shaw is the true believer on board, and she's the one who survives. So what are we trying to say by telling that story?" Source: io9.com

The Connection to Alien(s)

Damon Lindelof: "Essentially what I proposed to them was that the movie didn't need to lean as heavily on the Alien tropes that we were all familiar with. Eggs, face-huggers, chest bursters, acid blood, xenomorphs. I said that stuff can be a part of this movie, but I don't think it needs to be what the movie's about. There are some other really cool ideas in here that you can flesh out and grow." Source: IGN

Ridley Scott, about the ship shown in Alien: "I always thought it was a carrier. It's a vehicle that doesn't look like it crashed. It looks like it may have [been a] forced landing, but it landed. And why did it land and why was the pilot damaged? Because his cargo... something had gotten loose, in the cargo; had evolved, and had actually taken him out." [Source: Hero Complex]

Ridley Scott: "For all intents and purposes this is very loosely a prequel, very, and then you say 'But how did that ship evolve in the first Alien?' Then I would say 'Actually he's one of the group that had gone off and his cargo had gotten out of control,' because he was heading somewhere else and it got out of control and actually he had died in the process and that would be the story there. That ship happened to be a brother to the ship that you see that comes out of the ground at the end. They are roughly of the same period give or take a couple hundred years, right? Other than that, there's no real link except it explains, I think, who may have had these capabilities, which are dreadful weapons way beyond anything we could possibly conceive, bacteriological drums of shit that you can drop on a planet..." Source: Collider

Is the Ending the End of the Story?

Ridley Scott: "Well, from the very beginning, I was working from a premise that lent itself to a sequel. I really don’t want to meet God in the first one. I want to leave it open to [Noomi Rapace’s character] saying, 'I don’t want to go back to where I came from. I want to go where they came from." Source: The Playlist

Ridley Scott: "Because [the Engineers] are such aggressive fuckers, I always had it in there that the God-like creature that you will see actually is not so nice, and is certainly not God. I'd love to explore where [Dr. Shaw] goes next and what does she do when she gets there, because if it is paradise, paradise can not be what you think it is. Paradise has a connotation of being extremely sinister and ominous." [Source: THR]

Damon Lindelof: "I think that Prometheus wanted to have two children. One child grows up to be Alien (the movie), the other child grows up to become this other mysterious force where we're heading off in a different direction and contemplating why it is our creators wanted to destroy us. This is a fundamentally interesting question looked at on a theological level, but also on a sci-fi level as well. In constructing those questions, Ridley wanted to know what the answers were as well, and we talked about those at great length, and then he determined what it was he wanted to put in the movie." Source: IGN

Source. (http://www.ign.com/wikis/prometheus/Official_Quotes)

TwistedNadine
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Very enlightening. Thanks Fever.

fernandito
06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
You guys have GOT to read this, ahahahahahahaahaha!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-series-emails-from-prometheuss-new-tech-guy/

stkmw02
06-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Glad you bumped this. My brother finally the saw the movie and had some interesting thoughts. He feels the original Engineer at the beginning was a military soldier dishonorably discharged, left alone on the planet. He, like many soldiers who have dishonored themselves, commits suicide by drinking the black goo. Only, when he falls in the water, he unintentionally creates new life in his image. Now... there are these other beefycakey Engineers around that are warriors.... but then there are the normal Eningeers lacking that physique who are missionaries or scientists what have you, THEY find Earth and the people and visit frequently to share knowledge and advance society. They are helping them. They show them the general direction of their home planet(s) and say, "someday, when you figure it out, stop by" figuring humans at that point might be intellectually equal to the Engineers and ready to have their minds blown by even cooler stuff. Only the military Engineers find out about earth and decide to destroy it, because Earth is like the bastard son they never wanted and who isn't really making anything of himself. So they get their all-purpose goo and are ready to wipe out humans when the missionaries/scientists/etc let the goo loose on THEM. That's why some engineers are running all over the place and there are piles of bodies that look like a fight went down along with the alien chest-bursting and what not. SO our living Engineer gets to his chamber and when he wakes up, he's still in "kill all humans" mode... only she's yelling at him and it makes him think for a second. How did they get here? maybe the other weak engineers were right? Until the robot blows it by speaking their language... which is an insult in itself (much like a person trying to speak to a Navajo in their native tongue) and he rips his head off and goes back his original orders.

It's an interesting idea. He hasn't told me yet what he thinks of the rest of it.

Ricky
06-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh, for anyone that's interested, the language expert that assisted with the film revealed the translation of what David said to the Engineer in the "ship" room. Pretty much what I had inferred, more or less. I'll have to find the article and post here.

fernandito
06-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh, for anyone that's interested, the language expert that assisted with the film revealed the translation of what David said to the Engineer in the "ship" room. Pretty much what I had inferred, more or less. I'll have to find the article and post here.

"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life." -- translation of what David says (about Peter Weyland) to the Engineer.

fernandito
06-29-2012, 09:22 AM
stk - I'm heading to my break in a few, will respond to your post later.

Ricky
06-29-2012, 10:19 AM

"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life." -- translation of what David says (about Peter Weyland) to the Engineer.

Yup.

EW.com (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/06/21/prometheus-questions-engineer-david/)

DoctorDodge
10-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Connection found between Prometheus and Blade Runner on blu-ray easter egg (http://collider.com/prometheus-blade-runner-connection/200699/)

Which basically means that Blade Runner takes place in the same universe as Alien. Awesome. I'm still more excited about the new Blade Runner re-release than Prometheus being released on blu-ray, but yes, nice to have a little nod, anyway.

fernandito
10-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I honestly can't decide if I want to pick up Prometheus on blu ray or not. I mean, I enjoyed the film fine enough during my theater viewing ... but having dissected to death, I'm not sure I can look past it's glaring flaws during additional viewings.

DoctorDodge
10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Agreed. Noticed it in shops over here already, but...meh, it's definitely not a day 1 release. Like I said, I'm more pumped for Blade Runner's 30th anniversary collector's edition later this month. Yes, it's been out on blu-ray for a while, but it's the perfect excuse for me to finally upgrade from dvd to blu-ray anyway.

Brainslinger
10-14-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm more pumped for Blade Runner's 30th anniversary collector's edition later this month. Yes, it's been out on blu-ray for a while, but it's the perfect excuse for me to finally upgrade from dvd to blu-ray anyway.

This is the first I have heard of this!

Blade Runner is on of the few times I've double dipped with a film. I originally had the Director's Cut. Then they brought out that lovely box set with ALL versions of the film, including the rather nice Final Cut and I got that. (Another example would be the Alien box-set. I got the Alien Legacy box set originally then got the Alien Quadrilogy when I knew they were providing two versions of each film.)

Another one? I'm not sure I'll get yet another, but I'm curious as to what it contains. A google is in order I think.

As for Prometheus, I've read a lot of negativity concerning it. I went into the film with a bit of trepidation having read bad reviews... and enjoyed it. That's not to say I don't get peoples points. (It's far form a perfect film.) I will probably pick up the DVD or Blu-Ray at some point.

EDIT- One Google later. Okay, from a film perspective I don't think it brings in anything I don't already own. (I haven't compared the documentaries.) I'd love the spinner car though, but probably not to the extent I will fork out for that. That's nice package though.

Odetta
04-03-2013, 01:14 PM
OK I just watched this movie... I am always late to the party!

I thought there was too much being packed into the movie, so I found it disjointed. It almost felt as if there were connecting scenes that were deleted that would made the movie flow better.
I loved the overall look of the film, and there was a point at the beginning where they played some Alien music and I loved that! All of the references to Alien I really enjoyed... seeing as I am a superfan of the Alien movies!

fernandito
04-03-2013, 01:33 PM
What were some of your issues with the film?

I know you have them :P

Odetta
04-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Well, as I said, seemed to be too much trying to be packed into one film.
We have too many themes going on... We have the search for man's creator, we have bio-warfare, we have a need to tie-in to the Alien movies, we have the father-daughter stuff (that was brief, but it is still a theme), we have the couple in love, we have the evil robot, and we have the creature evolving differently in every person it infects... which goes with the bio-warfare, but there is just so much happening.

I did like the movie, but I feel like it needed more to connect all of the sub-plots going on. Maybe if the movie were longer.

Mattrick
04-04-2013, 12:29 PM
I still think Prometheus is a good science fiction movie that has been lambasted only because of the hype built for it. Because I not only avoided all trailers and viral marketting and knew what the general consesus of the film was (I went in with low expectations) I really enjoyed and have since wondered what all the hate is about and I think it is, only that, people had such expectation and had such a preconceived idea of what to expect, they found they hated it. It really is almost an identical movie to Alien so I've never understood the hate; whatever problems people had with Prometheus should, in turn, be the same problems people have with Alien - that fact of the similarities between both films seems to have been lost on most people, where the most trite details became malignant and ruined the film for many people. Prometheus is a case of what happens when people obsesses about a movies coming out to the point the movie could never match the monolithic quality and scale derived in their own minds. This is why I do not watch trailers, I do not care about movie news, when a movie comes out, if it's made by a good directors, written by a good screenwriter or has an interesting cast that I will have interest in it...I gain much more enjoyment from a film knowing zero about it. It is no wonder why people watch three teaser trailers, read interviews about the movie, watch each official trailer as it comes out, salivating at all the information given and then find themselves underwhelmed by the end result. Anticipation is great, but surprise is always better, so I choose to be surprised.

fernandito
04-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Well, as I said, seemed to be too much trying to be packed into one film.
We have too many themes going on... We have the search for man's creator, we have bio-warfare, we have a need to tie-in to the Alien movies, we have the father-daughter stuff (that was brief, but it is still a theme), we have the couple in love, we have the evil robot, and we have the creature evolving differently in every person it infects... which goes with the bio-warfare, but there is just so much happening.

I did like the movie, but I feel like it needed more to connect all of the sub-plots going on. Maybe if the movie were longer.

Just rewatched the film over the weekend, and I agree with a large part of what you said here. The biggest problem I feel (and I'm sure I've touched on this somewhere earlier in this thread) is that the film has no internal logic. The black goo does whatever the writers needed it to do at any given moment.

The father-daughter reveal was THE most unncessary and ill handled reveal of all time (slight hyperbole here).

I still think Prometheus is a good science fiction movie that has been lambasted only because of the hype built for it. Because I not only avoided all trailers and viral marketting and knew what the general consesus of the film was (I went in with low expectations) I really enjoyed and have since wondered what all the hate is about and I think it is, only that, people had such expectation and had such a preconceived idea of what to expect, they found they hated it. It really is almost an identical movie to Alien so I've never understood the hate; whatever problems people had with Prometheus should, in turn, be the same problems people have with Alien - that fact of the similarities between both films seems to have been lost on most people, where the most trite details became malignant and ruined the film for many people. Prometheus is a case of what happens when people obsesses about a movies coming out to the point the movie could never match the monolithic quality and scale derived in their own minds. This is why I do not watch trailers, I do not care about movie news, when a movie comes out, if it's made by a good directors, written by a good screenwriter or has an interesting cast that I will have interest in it...I gain much more enjoyment from a film knowing zero about it. It is no wonder why people watch three teaser trailers, read interviews about the movie, watch each official trailer as it comes out, salivating at all the information given and then find themselves underwhelmed by the end result. Anticipation is great, but surprise is always better, so I choose to be surprised.

I agree that cataclysmic expectations ruin a film, but after my initial viewing (and subsequent disappointment) I rewatched it over the weekend already knowing what to expect and .. I was still disappointed.

The film is nothing like ALIEN, tempo wise. Alien was a master class in dread and building suspension, Prometheus had none of that.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the 'Sorry, your princess is in another castle!' ending. If the film would have given us at least bread crumb answers I would have been marginally happy, but Shaw might as well have said "Welp, guess you guys will get your answers in the sequel lol"

And Ridley, don't make such a big fucking deal about Prometheus NOT being a prequel to Alien when a fucking ALIEN SHOWS UP IN THE FINAL CLIP.

Reading this it sounds like I absolutely detested the movie, but I didn't. I still enjoy it despite it's glaring flaws. I'm just disappointed that it's not the masterpiece it could have been. It had all the ingredients to be a defining 21st century science fiction flick. I almost wish Scott/Lindelof had decided to ditch the entire prequel idea and just approached the film as a stand alone sci fi epic about our origins.

Odetta
04-12-2013, 10:45 AM
I did not watch any if the trailers, I had no expectations going into watching the movie. There was no hype for me.

I did not see that this movie was the same movie as Alien. I am confused by that statement.

Stebbins
04-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Just got done watching for the first time. I thought it was pretty good. As Odetta touched upon, I (too) liked the look of the movie. The story wasn't bad either.

To respond to comments earlier in the thread: I do not think Vickers was a robot. The Captain and her got it on. As to whether or not David had emotions, I am not sure, but he sure seemed devious as hell. But this could have been due to his programming input by a devious SOB.

Mattrick
04-15-2013, 04:20 AM
I did not watch any if the trailers, I had no expectations going into watching the movie. There was no hype for me.

I did not see that this movie was the same movie as Alien. I am confused by that statement.

Alien: A crew lands on a planet and discovers a ship. On this ship are lots of eggs, what it births attaches to a crew member. The Android os fascinated by the creature. After a very slow paced 45 mins, the crew finds themselves fighting for their lives, in which a heroine discovers a hidden corporate agenda and is the final survivor.

Prometheus: A crew sets down on an alien planet. They find a facility. Inside are lots of canisters filled with a black goo. The android becomes fascinated with it. A crew member is infected. After a slow opening 45 mins,
the crew finds themselves fighting for survival. A hidden corporate agenda is revealed. A heroine arises to become the final survivor.

Differences: Captain doesnt die early in Prometheus. Promethus has an anthropology and theology aspect to the plot Alien does not. Alien has I think 7 characters, Prometheus has I think 16 so Prometheus had more deaths, perhaps thinner characters (not that Alien was brimming with fleshed out characters either).

Stebbins
04-15-2013, 07:28 AM

Alien: A crew lands on a planet and discovers a ship. On this ship are lots of eggs, what it births attaches to a crew member. The Android os fascinated by the creature. After a very slow paced 45 mins, the crew finds themselves fighting for their lives, in which a heroine discovers a hidden corporate agenda and is the final survivor.

Prometheus: A crew sets down on an alien planet. They find a facility. Inside are lots of canisters filled with a black goo. The android becomes fascinated with it. A crew member is infected. After a slow opening 45 mins,
the crew finds themselves fighting for survival. A hidden corporate agenda is revealed. A heroine arises to become the final survivor.

Differences: Captain doesnt die early in Prometheus. Promethus has an anthropology and theology aspect to the plot Alien does not. Alien has I think 7 characters, Prometheus has I think 16 so Prometheus had more deaths, perhaps thinner characters (not that Alien was brimming with fleshed out characters either).

I was too young when I saw them to really remember the original Alien. However, I watched Prometheus with my mom and several times during the movie she said, "this is just like Alien". Plus, what emerges from the Engineer after being attacked by Shaw's alien offspring, looks a hell of a lot like an alien from Alien.

Odetta
04-16-2013, 08:22 AM

:nana: Oh, is that all??? :)

OK... Maybe I should have worded it differently... You had said that the problems people had with Prometheus, they should have had the same problems with Alien. I did not see the problems the same in both movies. That's what I meant to say.

Mattrick
04-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Well since the plots and execution and pacing so virtual identical structure wise, I don't get the criticism for Prometheus when Alien gets such love. People have said there were too many characters in Prometheus and their deaths didn't mean anything when the only characters in Alien that had much character were Ripley and Ash and in Prometheus it's the Ripley character and the David character. If the issues people have with Prometheus are the lack of answers when THEY KNOW a sequel was coming BEFORE this film was released, then that is a poor criticism when we've only gotten half the story. The same people should hate a show like LOST...

Odetta
04-16-2013, 04:49 PM
It wasn't the lack of answers for me. It was trying to cram too many themes into one movie.
Alien did not do that.

I actually watched Prometheus NOT thinking really at all about Alien. I tried to see it as its own movie.

Btw, I did not like LOST. :ninja:

Mattrick
04-16-2013, 11:36 PM
There is no such thing has cramming too many themes into anything, in my opinion, provided they make sense to the narrative. With Prometheus the themes were the reason for the story existing, the plot was about the themes so it would be thematically heavy, where as Alien was basically a well made sci-fi/monster flick, and Prometheus is too, it just has a lot more to say and more of a mythology. I'm excited to see how the story will play out with the next installment.

I am also looking at these movies with the mindset of Prometheus - Prometheus Sequel - Alien is the order of Ridley Scott's trilogy, we've just seen the end first. Prometheus is really a good first movie of a trilogy in terms of establishing a mythology and a timeline and I imagine the second movie will contain an ending that makes a very nice lead into Alien, and then everyone can watch all three in a row to see the flow of the narrative.

Mattrick
04-17-2013, 12:58 AM
To add to the discussion, for those who have not read it, is Roger Ebert's review of Prometheus, to which he granted it ****

Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" is a magnificent science-fiction film, all the more intriguing because it raises questions about the origin of human life and doesn't have the answers. It's in the classic tradition of golden age sci-fi, echoing Scott's "Alien (http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-alien-1979)" (1979), but creating a world of its own. I'm a pushover for material like this; it's a seamless blend of story, special effects and pitch-perfect casting, filmed in sane, effective 3-D that doesn't distract.
A scene at the outset shows a world with apparently only one animal being, a pale humanoid who stalks a high ridge surrounded by spectacular scenery. This person eats something that causes painful vomiting and rapid body decay. The vomit is followed into flowing water, where it seems to morph into living cellular structures. Where is this place? Is it Earth? Who is the being, and why is it alone and naked? Is the scene a visualization of the theory that life first arrived on Earth from outer space?
Cut to a human spaceship in the year 2093, qualifying "Prometheus" for a flash-forward spanning more years than the opening of "2001." The trillion-dollar ship Prometheus is en route to a distant world, which seems pointed to in prehistoric cave paintings. There's reason to believe human life may have originated there. It's an Earth-sized moon orbiting a giant planet, and at first it seems a disappointment: no growing things, unbreathable atmosphere. But the crew notices straight lines on the surface, and as we all know, nature makes no straight lines.
The lines lead to a vast dome or pyramid, and the film will mostly take place inside the dome and the Prometheus. But let's put the plot on hold and introduce two of the crew members: Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace (http://www.rogerebert.com/cast-and-crew/noomi-rapace)) wears a cross around her neck and believes life ultimately had a divine origin. Her boyfriend, Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green (http://www.rogerebert.com/cast-and-crew/logan-marshall-green)), accuses her, a scientist, of dismissing centuries of Darwinism. What they find in the pyramid leaves the question open. Alien humanoids, in suspended animation, incredibly have DNA that's a perfect match for our own. So they could somehow have brought life to Earth — but why? And from this moon where they slumber inside their pyramid, or from another planet around a distant star? Why did they stop here? What are they waiting for?
The film then develops horror scenes comparable to "Alien," although it depends more on action and weaponry than that film's use of shadows and silence. For me, the most spellbinding scenes involve the crew members exploring the passages and caverns inside the pyramid, obviously unvisited in aeons, and their experiences with some of the hibernating alien beings. One of the key members of this crew is David (Michael Fassbender (http://www.rogerebert.com/cast-and-crew/michael-fassbender)), an android, who knows or can figure out more or less everything, even alien languages, and is sort of a walking, talking, utterly fearless HAL 9000.
The alien race in "Prometheus" shares a body characteristic that reminds me of "Alien" and countless films since: Elements can detach from them and enter into other bodies as hostile parasites. This leads to an astonishing sequence in which Elizabeth, alone on the ship, discovers she is pregnant with an alien Something and somehow finds the will to control a robot surgery device that removes it. Her later showdown with a waning oxygen supply shows equal resourcefulness; Noomi Rapace ("The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-2010)," 2009) continues here the tradition of awesome feminine strength begun by Sigourney Weaver (http://www.rogerebert.com/cast-and-crew/sigourney-weaver) in "Alien."
Another strong woman is on board, Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron (http://www.rogerebert.com/cast-and-crew/charlize-theron)), a representative of the corporation that privately financed the Prometheus. She treats the others like her employees, which they are, and believes she always speaks for the company's wishes. The ship's captain, Janek (Idris Elba (http://www.rogerebert.com/cast-and-crew/idris-elba)), makes no pretensions of scientific expertise like the others but is a no-nonsense working pilot. Janek has the most interesting evolution, from the irreverent hipster in his first scenes into a man with the ability to intuit the truth about what he's seeing.
The most tantalizing element is how it plays with the role of these DNA twins. Did they create life on Earth? The possibility of two identical DNAs as a coincidence is unthinkable. Charlie digs at Elizabeth, suggesting their existence disproves her beliefs. Her obvious response: Where did they come from? This puzzle is embedded in an adventure film that has staggering visuals, expert horror, mind-challenging ideas and enough unanswered questions to prime the inevitable sequel.

fernandito
04-17-2013, 07:11 AM
There is no such thing has cramming too many themes into anything, in my opinion, provided they make sense to the narrative.

Hmm no I don't agree. In the same way that a film can be bogged down by having too many characters and not dedicating enough time to each one, so too can a film have too many themes. Prometheus is like a scatter shotgun, it shoots wildly at the audience and hopes that some of it's elements find purchase.

I am also looking at these movies with the mindset of Prometheus - Prometheus Sequel - Alien is the order of Ridley Scott's trilogy, we've just seen the end first. Prometheus is really a good first movie of a trilogy in terms of establishing a mythology and a timeline and I imagine the second movie will contain an ending that makes a very nice lead into Alien, and then everyone can watch all three in a row to see the flow of the narrative.

THAT'S ultimately my problem with the film. Films need to be able to stand on their own two feet, regardless of where they are along the timeline of the series. If Cameron never made a second Terminator, that's okay because the first Terminator is able to sustain itself. If Nolan never makes The Dark Knight, that's okay because Batman Begins works as a self contained story as well. That's not the case with Prometheus. Too many things left open for the eventual/hypothetical? sequel.

Mattrick
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
The difference being that we knew Scott was making two movies before the production even began on Prometheus, back when IMDb listed them as Untitled Alien Prequel #1 and #2....that reasoning doesnt hold up when two are planned at the beginning. With Terminator there was no immediately intended sequel, and even Batman had no guarantee. Prometheus more than holds up as its own movie, and to say its flaws are its themes will stretch into the always intended sequel, is not good criticism. Prometheus really doesn't have too many themes since all the themes are in the same vein, if they tried to jam in unrelated themes like class warfare or commentary on capitalism I could see that argument. There are much shorter films with four times as many themes as Prometheus and they are great films....Fantastic Planet would be an example of that.

With The Stand and IT being adapted into two films each I hope those won't be expected to hold up as single films when part of a larger intended story.

Odetta
04-17-2013, 01:20 PM
What about LOTR? Those movies were always intended on being shown as a trilogy, yet each one can stand on its own. Even the 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies were filmed knowing there would be 3, but each movie can be watched on its own.

I don't feel like all of the themes are connected. They could have chopped the father/daughter theme... They didn't need the love story... I think biowarfare and the origin of man are more than lofty enough themes for any movie.

Mattrick
04-17-2013, 04:03 PM
You're confusing sub-plots with themes. The love story subplot adds at least to the theme of faith, as they are both scientists, who love each other and are searching for the same thing, for totally different reasons, which I thought was a nice juxtaposition, considering differences of faith can be a huge obstacle in having a healthy relationship. The father/daughter subplot doesn't add anything to the themes and if you feel it is superfluous because it doesn't add to the theme, I can accept that argument...however adding those two relationships enchances the characters themselves, which is drastically needed in a film with 16 characters as opposed to 7 like Alien.

Prometheus isn't a perfect movie, but for me, it's one of those cases where I find a lot of the criticism people give it, is fairly unjust as many movies contain similar issues but are still very much enjoyed. Anyone going to tell me they loved The Matrix for it's characters? Now The Matrix films were films OVERLOADED with thematical elements that totally bogged the sequels down, and if you compared that science fiction film with Prometheus, or even a film like Minority Report which is thematically loaded but is expertly handled, it's a little easier to see it's actually thematically light but offers a great deal to discuss from them, which is why I like it.

As for Lord of the Rings, the only one of the those that stands on it's own is Fellowship of the Ring, which is a masterpiece...the other two are above average and lack the ingenuity and magic Fellowship did. I've watched Fellowship about ten times, I've seen the other two three times each. Lest we forget it was a Trilogy of books so a Trilogy of films makes sense...we knew were getting three, so we expected three...you didn't watch Fellowship expecting all the themes and plots to wrap themselves up in a neat little package, because you knew two more movies were coming...in fact, I remember being pissed Shelob was moved from the second book to the third movie, because that is what I was most excited about...guess they knew Return of the King would be terrible and needed the balling Shelob sequence to save it. And Pirates of the Caribbean, gets the award for worst trilogy to ever make a lot of money. And they weren't planning on a trilogy originally...they hoped it to be a franchise pending on it's success (Thus the subtitle Curse of the Black Pearl) which is why films 2 and 3 were filmed together and came out years later.

Odetta
04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
My point about the trilogies was that each of the individual movies within the trilogies could stand on their own. You didn't HAVE to see Fellowship to understand Two Towers. You didn't have to see Pirates 2 to understand Pirates 3.

I like when a movie can stand on its own.

Subplot/theme... Call it whatever you want... Too many of either muddies the story. Or chops it all up into pieces that don't really fit together.

Mattrick
04-18-2013, 12:06 AM
I kind of think the entire history of the ring, the notion of small people from a small place, undertaking a quest of global importance, and the death of Gandalf are kind of required to understand why anyone would travel so damn far to put a ring in a volcano.

Odetta
04-18-2013, 06:11 AM
I don't think you are hearing me. In the other LOTR movies, there is enough said about the quest that a person could watch it and not be confused. Does it make more sense to see Fellowship? Of course! Is it imperative? No.

But there is probably a LOTR thread around here so I will stop talking about other movies in here.

RUBE
04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
While I was a little disappointed with Prometheus, the fact that people are still arguing about it months later when there is absolutely nothing on here about Oblivion which just came out shows that it was at least better than your average sci-fi movie and that it made people have to think more than most.

mae
02-23-2017, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I

fernandito
02-23-2017, 04:11 PM
ZoneSeek :(

Still Servant
02-23-2017, 07:01 PM
ZoneSeek :(

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

That last page was really fun to read again for two reasons:

1) Zone

2) I posed the question what franchises are due for a sequel. Every franchise we said has since had a sequel and some are currently adding more films. Predator, Terminator and Alien. We all nailed it.

As for Zone, I thought one of the regulars still keeps up with him on FB, I could be wrong.

RUBE
02-23-2017, 08:52 PM
It's funny how no one posted in this thread for Prometheus.

Merlin1958
02-23-2017, 09:00 PM

I enjoyed that flick. Wasn't "Aliens", but few are. LOL Looking forward to this one though.

Mattrick
02-24-2017, 01:50 AM
I'm sad I saw the trailer for Covenant when I saw John Wick :'(

Still Servant
02-24-2017, 03:30 PM

That's odd. I know we talked about it somewhere in these parts.

fernandito
02-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Prometheus was too much of a disappointment and too big a heartbreak for me to discuss.

DoctorZaius
02-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Slightly less excited now that I see that James Franco is in it, and as the captain no less. Can't stand the guy.

RUBE
02-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Slightly less excited now that I see that James Franco is in it, and as the captain no less. Can't stand the guy.

And Danny McBride. All they need now is Seth Rogen and it's a Judd Apatow movie. Forgetting Ellen Ripley or Prometheus Express are possible working titles... Then again, the Alien movies normally have something ugly putting it's offspring in an attractive person so they could just call it Knocked Up...

Maybe I shouldn't drink and reply here...

fernandito
02-27-2017, 08:46 AM
Seeing Franco and McBride trying to act serious is going to be distracting as hell.

RUBE
02-27-2017, 11:39 AM
R.I.P. Bill Paxton. One of the best and worst parts of Aliens.

"Game over, man! Game over!"

Still Servant
02-27-2017, 05:50 PM
R.I.P. Bill Paxton. One of the best and worst parts of Aliens.

"Game over, man! Game over!"

He will forever be remembered for that line. I'll never forget him.