PDA

View Full Version : Sooo...are you guys still reading the comics?

CyberGhostface
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Couldn't help but notice that the discussion on the comics has waned a bit (no posts on he DT thread in over a month). So what's the current deal with the comics? Are people still reading them? Are they any good?

I dropped the comics after the mess that was Sorcerer but even then I was still slightly curious and kept up via other means. Now I honestly can't remember the last time I picked one up. Looking at where it is now it seems that Furth is just dragging out the series to fulfill her new contract. I mean, correct me if I'm I'm wrong, isn't she giving as much issues for her adaptation of The Gunslinger as Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa gave to his take on The Stand? Isn't that kinda pushing it?

fernandito
03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Nope. I don't remember exactly when it was, but I lost interest in the comics a looooongggg time ago.

Funny thing is, I couldn't exactly tell you why. They weren't bad books by any means, but something about them just felt ... lacking. I do know that I never got around to completing the Battle of Jerico Hill, I think I left off halfway.

CyberGhostface
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
I thought Jericho Hill was extremely underwhelming. I mean it was being touted as "Akira Kurosawa's Ran but with cowboys". Definitely one of those things that are far more effective in your mind.

pixiedark76
03-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I still read the comics. I am now reading "The Way Station"

cgallagh44
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Haven't read any yet, but I have collected all the first releases...I look forward to the day when I complete my media room where I can finally get lost in all these back issues.

Ari_Racing
03-01-2012, 05:53 PM
It's funny, but I think comics got better since The Fall of Gilead, being each one better. As for The Stand ones, I was kinda bored with them.

Tatts4Life
03-02-2012, 05:23 AM
I still get them. I like them a lot and hope they do the whole Dark Tower series. I can't wait to see if they do the Drawing of the three.

mikeC
03-02-2012, 07:30 AM
I couldn't afford to get them anymore, (guess I should just steal them eh Shannon?)
and completely lost interest in rehashing the books in comic form.
I thought the back story of Roland was well, non-epic and I just wanted to leave it alone.
I did enjoy getting them in the mail every month, that was very cool.

jhanic
03-02-2012, 08:01 AM
I still get them, but haven't read any of them for a long time.

John

pathoftheturtle
03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
lost interest

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
The only comic book I read is FUTURAMA.

pixiedark76
03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I still get them, but haven't read any of them for a long time.

John

You spend money on the comics, but don't read them? :confused1::doh::confused: You don't even read them just one time?

pixiedark76
03-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I still get them. I like them a lot and hope they do the whole Dark Tower series. I can't wait to see if they do the Drawing of the three.

I agree! I think comics on the whole Dark Tower Series would be awesome! I would love to see how Eddie and Susannah would be drawn!

Tatts4Life
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I had read some interview with Robin Furth who mention that at the time of the interview there were only so many arcs planned with no more being planned. Of course when I read that they had all ready released 3 other story arcs. I would think it would be really stupid to stop making any more comics after they finish the Gunslinger story. I mean they've done so much build up of Roland looking for the Dark Tower plus it's in the title so to end before he reaches the tower would SUCK.

Ben Staad
03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I stopped buying them strictly because I couldn't keep up with all the variants. I liked the stories and the art however it became kind of a pain...

Brainslinger
03-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I stopped a bit after they started overlapping the books' stories. (Not including The Gunslinger Born of course, which was largely Wizard and Glass material. They did produce a lot of new stuff after all.)

Merlin1958
03-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I stopped a bit after they started overlapping the books' stories. (Not including The Gunslinger Born of course, which was largely Wizard and Glass material. They did produce a lot of new stuff after all.)

Same here. I've been known to buy used HC's for the comic guys to read. If you like the comic at this point, read the freaking book!!! LOL

harrison ryan
03-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I lost faith after the third arc or so (The Long Road Home?). No Jae Lee, no thanks. I was in it for the art from the beginning anyway. I have read most of the Eluria adaptation, and I thought it was pretty good. I checked out the first issue of The Way Station the other day...ugh. Didn't even finish the issue. Peter David relies FAR too much on the Mid-World dialect. It comes across as forced and overwrought, which has been my chief complaint from the get-go. I try my best to be positive in my comments, so I'll just leave it at saying I wish they would just do a straight adaptation of the novel much more akin to Aguirre-Sacasa's treatment of The Stand.

CyberGhostface
03-11-2012, 02:53 PM
I had read some interview with Robin Furth who mention that at the time of the interview there were only so many arcs planned with no more being planned. Of course when I read that they had all ready released 3 other story arcs. I would think it would be really stupid to stop making any more comics after they finish the Gunslinger story. I mean they've done so much build up of Roland looking for the Dark Tower plus it's in the title so to end before he reaches the tower would SUCK.

I really can't see them going all the way to the final novel at the rate they're going with The Gunslinger and the length of the books. It would probably take well over a decade. And honestly from The Stand and the Game of Thrones comics I really don't think long novels lend well to monthly comics...

herbertwest
03-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I lost faith after the third arc or so (The Long Road Home?). No Jae Lee, no thanks. I was in it for the art from the beginning anyway. I have read most of the Eluria adaptation, and I thought it was pretty good. I checked out the first issue of The Way Station the other day...ugh. Didn't even finish the issue. Peter David relies FAR too much on the Mid-World dialect. It comes across as forced and overwrought, which has been my chief complaint from the get-go. I try my best to be positive in my comments, so I'll just leave it at saying I wish they would just do a straight adaptation of the novel much more akin to Aguirre-Sacasa's treatment of The Stand.

When they started the serie, i used to read them as soon as they got published. But getting it monthly was sort of annoying, so when they started being published in french, i started reading them when there were getting published, meaning every 3 or 6 months. But i am not so keen of the drawings. I definitely prefer THE STAND as a comic!

DanishCollector
03-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I liked The Dark Tower and The Stand comics...The Stand being the best of the two. But of them all, N. and American Vampires were the best. Also enjoyed The Talisman and was pissed when it was cancelled.

Garrell
03-11-2012, 08:45 PM
N. was great. The Stand was enjoyable. The Gunslinger language and text is a put off. Having said that, I still buy every one of the HC editions.

RUBE
03-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I stopped once it started covering the same ground as the books.

sgc1999
03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
" so what... You think just cause i guy reads comics he cant start some shit?... "
Mall Rats

Xile
03-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I'd like to get ahold of these. Anybody selling some extras? Mint?

jhanic
03-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Which ones are you talking about?

John

Xile
03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
All of the comics for the Dark Tower series? Not sure if anybody had an older set before receiving some signed ones or something. I'm just interested in reading them, keeping them clean, and passing them along to the kids some day.

Merlin1958
03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
All of the comics for the Dark Tower series? Not sure if anybody had an older set before receiving some signed ones or something. I'm just interested in reading them, keeping them clean, and passing them along to the kids some day.

Yeah, I got em all. Signed ones, variant covers and remarques see my collection thread. You can have 'em all for a nice fee!!!

Xile
03-21-2012, 06:44 PM

Yeah, I got em all. Signed ones, variant covers and remarques see my collection thread. You can have 'em all for a nice fee!!!

Talk to me my good man. I'll update you on your thread as I decide Merlin.

Tik
03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I'm still reading the comics. I have them all, and enjoy them.

The only disappointment I had was that Sheemie's Tale wasn't released. Is that definitely cancelled now? Was looking forward to it because the reason I love the comics is the new material and this one shot would have been all new stuff.

Brainslinger
04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I'm still reading the comics. I have them all, and enjoy them.

The only disappointment I had was that Sheemie's Tale wasn't released. Is that definitely cancelled now? Was looking forward to it because the reason I love the comics is the new material and this one shot would have been all new stuff.

I'd forgotten all about that! I was looking forward to that too. Hopefully that will be covered at some point, although there's part of me that likes the idea of leaving it up to speculation.

pathoftheturtle
04-02-2012, 04:45 AM
I'd buy Sheemie's Tale. Glad you guys keep us informed; I don't watch comic shops too much any more.

Brainslinger
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I'd buy Sheemie's Tale.

Despite what I said about 'leaving it up to speculation'... me too. I like to speculate, but I guess I like extra story even more.