PDA

View Full Version : General Music Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Unfound One
07-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Only one, called One of These Things First, but I liked it so much I downloaded two albums - Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon.

Have you seen Garden State Jayson?

jayson
07-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Only one, called One of These Things First, but I liked it so much I downloaded two albums - Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon.

Have you seen Garden State Jayson?

I have seen it once and didn't really like it all that much. I thought I would have since I am originally from NY and grew up in NJ, but alas, it wasn't for me.

MonteGss
07-06-2008, 01:24 PM
One of These Things First

That is a great song! I personally like Which Will above all of his songs but there are so many great songs to choose from.

If you guys haven't heard Smokin Too Long, which I believe is one of his "home recorded tracks," it's pretty simple but I like that one as well. :)

educatedlady
07-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I have seen it once and didn't really like it all that much. I thought I would have since I am originally from NY and grew up in NJ, but alas, it wasn't for me.

You are one of only a handful of people who I've known of to say they didn't like Garden State much. I didn't either and people think I'm crazy.

jayson
07-07-2008, 03:19 PM

You are one of only a handful of people who I've known of to say they didn't like Garden State much. I didn't either and people think I'm crazy.

We could both be crazy as well :)

Unfound One
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM

Affirmative. :)

educatedlady
07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Very true. i'm pretty sure I am...but I don't think that my opinion on the movie has anything to do with it. :D

Affirmative. :)
Thanks. :)

Seymour_Glass
07-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I loved garden state.

Especially the soundtrack. :)

obscurejude
07-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I just got the soundtrack to Once (see SJ's av and sig). I couldn't be more pleased. I guess you could call it progressive Irish folk, singer-songwriter? Anyways, its spectacular.

Heather19
07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for posting that Ryan! I went to check it out to see what it was and the first track, falling slowly, I've heard a couple times and have been wondering what the song is, and now I finally found it. I'm listening to the rest of the album now.

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
That sounds pretty interesting, Jude.

Stumbled across a young Canuck whose voice and sound I love.

Claire Jenkins avec Band (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=64193134)

Unfound One
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Yay Once!
Anyone who's heard or seen it: What's your favorite song?

obscurejude
07-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Awesome Heather and Tiffany :thumbsup: :)

SJ, (unfound one) is the saint who turned me onto the movie and the soundtrack (in fact she sent me the movie). :)

My favorite song off the album is "All the Way Down" which is only Glen, but I love all of them.

Unfound One
07-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Good call with that one Ryan.
It's probably my second fave...
Say It To Me Now is my absolute favorite though.
So much passion in that song. Brilliant.
Oh! And in the film when he sings that one on the street it's just way intense in the best possible way. I love love love Glen's face when he sings.

Heather19
07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm going to have to check out the movie now

Unfound One
07-17-2008, 06:45 PM
That's an excellent choice Heather. :)

Aesculapius
07-19-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I just heard the new Metallica song. :lol:

FIRE!!!!!

Aesculapius
07-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Timbaland - Cornell stuff:

http://www.1019rxp.com/podcast/rockexperiencepodcast.aspx

'Ground Zero' sounds nice. :lol:

Heather19
08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Daggers, I thought you might enjoy this.
It's a new video I came across of Yoav. Skip to about the 2min mark and he goes over how he comes up with the beats for one of his songs.

YouTube - Yoav in Moscow

Erin
08-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Lately I've really been getting into the "gypsy-punk" band as they are described, Gogol Bordello. Most of the band are immigrants from Russian and the Ukraine and their music is incredible. I also love their stage performances, they are full of energy and excitement.

It's good stuff. :thumbsup:

Aesculapius
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
MJK:

http://www.jubilee.la/home.html?account_id=192

fernandito
09-19-2008, 01:18 PM
So, what about TDK soundtrack being the only CD to play in my car ever since I got it, a month and a half ago!

:wtf:

Unfound One
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Wow Feev. You're my hero. :cyclops:

In other news...
A Public Service Announcement for iTunes Users:
I highly recommend downloading Genius when you update to the new version of iTunes. It's brilliant.
Basically it analyzes the music you have in your library, how often you listen to it, genres and such, and then compares it to ratings on iTunes.
When you're in a mood for a certain song, you play that song, click the Genius button, and it automatically compiles a playlist for you of similar music in your own library.

I love it - I've been using it nonstop since I downloaded it. :D

/end PSA

jayson
09-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Sounds like a fun feature SJ. :)

I'm my own genius. I know my library inside and out and my mind formulates playlists all the time based on any number of criteria. Of course I don't expect everyone to be as obsessed with every aspect of their collection like me. I just can't help myself.

Unfound One
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Somehow, Jayson, I knew you would say something like that. :lol:

Girlystevedave
09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Wow Feev. You're my hero. :cyclops:

In other news...
A Public Service Announcement for iTunes Users:
I highly recommend downloading Genius when you update to the new version of iTunes. It's brilliant.
Basically it analyzes the music you have in your library, how often you listen to it, genres and such, and then compares it to ratings on iTunes.
When you're in a mood for a certain song, you play that song, click the Genius button, and it automatically compiles a playlist for you of similar music in your own library.

I love it - I've been using it nonstop since I downloaded it. :D

/end PSA

That sounds pretty cool. I'm gonna have to check it out. :orely:

Ruthful
09-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Yay Once!
Anyone who's heard or seen it: What's your favorite song?

I like the song where Glen Hansard's co-star is walking down the street at night singing the song he wrote for her.

It's a shame that there are so few original musicals adapted for the screen, e.g. Hedwig, yet so many horrible "blockbusters" based upon comic books, some of which, e.g. Ghostrider, ninety percent of the movie-going population has never even heard of.

Frunobulax
09-25-2008, 10:44 PM
The Genius Playlist option on iTunes 8 is fucking amazing. The new visualizer also rules. All I'm saying is it handles my 28,520 (and ever expanding) songs - and the playlists it gives are spot on perfect each time.

jayson
09-26-2008, 03:46 AM
Fruno has returned!!!

Unfound One
09-27-2008, 12:26 PM
WHOA! I didn't even check out the new visualizer until you said that Fruno - it's fucking SWEET!

Frunobulax
09-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Heh. Just doing my public duty as an iTunes lover and a person who likes to look at shit other than lists.

jayson
12-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Coldplay is getting sued for plagiarism by guitarist Joe Satriani who claims the Coldplay song "Viva La Vida" borrows heavily from one of his songs.

Here's a youtube video with both songs, first independently and then mixed together.

YouTube - Did Coldplay copy Joe Satriani?

Now, I don't know that Coldplay intentionally stole the melody (or if they even listen to Satch) but it is quite clearly the exact same song. Remember, George Harrison did not intentionally borrow from The Chiffon's "He's So Fine" in writing "My Sweet Lord" but he was successfully sued by their record label nonetheless.

Unfound One
12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Whoa...
Definitely the same song. Yikes.

jayson
12-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Yep. I've heard quite a few people trying to use the "well, there's only twelve notes you can use" theory to explain the overlap, but that does very little to explain why the timing is exactly the same.

Of course, being a fan of Indian music and Bill Frisell I also don't buy the 12-note scale thing. Microtonality rules. :)

obscurejude
12-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I'd like to see the details of the lawsuit. My first reaction is that its just Satriani's self hero worship thats provoking the dispute, but again, that's my emotional response, which sometimes isn't perfect. :P

jayson
12-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm no fan of Satch's ego either.

The question to me is that I don't know how it can be established whether or not anyone in Coldplay ever heard that song prior to writing their song. It was easier to establish that Harrison had heard "He's So Fine" as it was a major hit and a hit in a genre of music Harrison had expressed he listened to. Satch is a bit more obscure in that he doesn't really get radio play. That said, I would imagine the guys in Coldplay are fairly socially active and have been any number of places where it could have been played and subconsciously gotten into one of their heads. The timing of the melody and changes being exactly the same is what seems like more than coincidence to me. So-called "subconscious plagiarism" was the basis of the Harrison decision.

I find it all very interesting because I personally find Coldplay to be an extremely derivative band in general. I'm not saying they're bad, they're just fairly far from original. I guess now we'll find out just how far. :lol:

Frunobulax
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I really want neither party to win. Bad music versus bad ego...hmmm... Yeah, microtones are the new retrograde.

obscurejude
12-05-2008, 02:22 PM
:lol:

Great point about Coldplay Jayson. The irony is that what makes them even a little original is Chris Martin's voice which Satch claims he stole from his guitar. Almost all of Coldplay's chord progressions and leads are fairly basic, but its how they compliment Martin's voice that gives Coldplay their "sound." Sometimes they do subtle things musically, like tuning the high E up a half step like in the case of "yellow" but its mainly his voice.

:shrugs:

As far as this particular Satriani solo, its one of the more generic ones. It sounds like he's just hitting the main notes of the scale- its note exactly virtuoso guitar playing. It's like mediocrity is suing mediocrity (at least in the sample I heard).

I respect both musicians and I'm surprised there's an uproar over something so seemingly basic.

jayson
12-05-2008, 02:44 PM
The irony is that what makes them even a little original is Chris Martin's voice which Satch claims he stole from his guitar.

Interestingly, on this particular song, it's his voice that I find derivative, though not of Satch's guitar, but of Bono's delivery. If it weren't for the iTunes commercial, I'd never have known this song existed (until today). When I first heard the commercial I wasn't looking at the tv. I looked up expecting to see U2 given the voice I was hearing. It sounds to me like Chris is doing a passable Bono impersonation on this song.

In the end, I guess I want Satriani to win on the grounds that it would otherwise be unfair to George Harrison. If he was "guilty" so is Coldplay. I know that is not legitimate or legally binding reasoning, but it's honest. :)

...microtones are the new retrograde.

If I didn't just change my signature, I'd probably sig that. I may do it anyway. :)

obscurejude
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
I said a little original but you're right, that doesn't particularly come out at all in this song.

I see your point about Harrison, but I still think its an ego thing. Again, all I know about the situation is the youtube video. I sure there's more to it, and knowing Satriani, the guitar work probably gets more difficult (even if it shouldn't :lol:). I'd be interested to see how long the plagiarism can be sustained.

jayson
12-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I said a little original but you're right, that doesn't particularly come out at all in this song.

Oh I know he doesn't sing like that on every song. My wife likes them a little bit so I hear some of their stuff from time to time.

...and knowing Satriani, the guitar work probably gets more difficult (even if it shouldn't :lol:).

Now there's a true statement if I've ever read one. I have little to no interest in Satriani because it seems his entire goal is to see how many notes he can cram into 2 seconds. I am not at all opposed to shredding in all cases, but I like it to evolve more organically from what's being played than it often does in his music.

obscurejude
12-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Very agreed on Satriani. :lol: The same could be said of Vai and Malmsteen.

I guess we'll have to see what happens with the lawsuit and how the ripples effect the music industry. It might make for some more good music conversation.

I am a fan of Kirk Hammett and I know that Satriani helped him a lot during the sessions that became Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. Fade to Black is one of my favorite songs and I think every guitar part is perfect within the context of the song. Sanitarium is another good example from this period. Its interesting that I think of Kirk as adding to the show while his teacher seems to draw attention to the guitar alone, often at the cost of the aesthetic of the song. There's a really interesting interview in the Guitar World: Legends edition with Metallica where Kirk and Joe talk about those days and James similarly discusses guitar chops with Tony Iomi, one of his mentors. I think it came out in 95, but I might be a year off. I was a freshman in high school at the time and had been playing guitar about a month. :D

Frunobulax
12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Britt Daniel>Satriani
All Satch cares about is trying to reach elusive 1024th notes while implying the most obvious harmonies and intervals. Hey, ever hear of a 4th? Or a dissonant tritone? Maybe adding in a 2nd in a chord in the bass while implying the 7th? Yeeesh!

jayson
12-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Very agreed on Satriani. :lol: The same could be said of Vai and Malmsteen.

It could be, but if it were said of Vai it would be wrong. Vai is a LOT more than just speed and shred. His work with Frank Zappa alone is the kind of guitar playing that most players couldn't match if given a thousand years. I had the pleasure of seeing him guest with Dweezil's Zappa Plays Zappa tour and it was simply jaw-dropping. There is nobody quite like Vai. There's a reason Frank called him "my little Italian virtuoso". It's as apt a title for Vai as any. Not all of his solo work is up my alley, but some of it is downright magical.

obscurejude
12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I haven't really listened to him much. I had a friend who was obsessed with G 3 and thus I spent a few long evenings watching very long DVD's.

Forgive me if it was a careless statement. I definitely got the vibe that Malmsteen and Satch were a little self indulgent. Plus, with Joe, I've heard his albums as well as the G 3 stuff.

Music snob. :P

Frunobulax
12-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Vai's work is seriously some of the best stuff out there. The FZ days did show why he's considered one of the best. Black Page on guitar, Sinister Footwear III, Moggio, etc. all show talent beyond compare.

obscurejude
12-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I'll be sure to give Vai another shot. Thanks for the intel fellas.

jayson
12-05-2008, 08:09 PM
All the listening to Vai I did couldn't prepare me for the experience of seeing him play with Zappa Plays Zappa. Among other things, there was a display of what could be done with a whammy bar that was just mind-boggling. I was impressed enough with Dweezil and the band he assembled, but Vai's playing is still burned into my brain two years later.

Other than seeing Ribot from a few feet away in a very small club there's nothing else I can compare it to. They're both guys that do things with the instrument that nobody else would even think to do let alone pull it off.

Frunobulax
12-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Vai's playing during the ZPZ I saw two years ago here in LA was fucking incredible as well. And he more than made up for the injured Bozzio.

jayson
12-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Injured Bozzio, that's a shame. He was in fine condition at the Orlando show (fall tour of 06) and like Vai, he was phenomenal. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Ruthful
12-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Vai is great. I borrowed a recent album he made from the BPL a few months ago and loved it.

jayson
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Very interesting op-ed piece from Jack Ely, lead singer of The Kingsmen (yes, The Kingsmen as in the band that did "Louie, Louie").

I couldn't agree with him more, especially this part...

"The suggestions that recordings are produced today just to sell recorded music is all backwards and the sooner the record companies and producers and artists figure this out the sooner they will all quit sniveling over the fact that the entire world is freely sharing their music digitally and isn't willing to stop; and in fact will do anything to circumvent their efforts to get paid for the recordings alone."

Full article:

http://counterpunch.com/ely12102008.html

A Message to the Music Industry from the Lead Singer of the Kingsmen

Stop Sobbing About Free Music Downloads

By JACK ELY

My name is Jack Ely and I'm the one whose voice is heard daily on The Kingsmen's 1963 recording of Louie Louie, (may it rest in peace) so you know I have some music business experience.

First I'd like to express an opinion that probably will not be very popular but which oozes with truth. In the early '60's when I was recording, records were thought of as a tool to help promote live performances. The live performances were the main revenue stream and the records were just promotional tools to get people to come see the shows. Somewhere this mode of thinking got turned upside down. Consequently in years hence, record companies, producers, et. all, have made recordings, hoping to profit from the sale of those recordings alone, regardless of whether or not the artist could ever pull it off live. This did some things to the music business that weren't very healthy. First it made available to the general public, music of artists who may or may not be good live performers; almost anyone can make a good recording with enough cut-ins and loops. And... it made music by groups of players who never ever intended to perform that music live, and who may or may not have ever been able to get along with each other long enough to really sustain any kind of a road show.

Music is meant to be played for the enjoyment of the audiences. For instance, if I go into the studio with an acoustic guitar and simultaneously play and sing on a recording, people would come to see me perform in that same mode; I.e. playing guitar and singing as a solo act. I don't think they would come to see me expecting a full band. Conversely, if I advertised a 'Night with Louie Louie" people would come expecting to see a rock band that they could dance to, and would be quite disappointed if I showed up with just my acoustic guitar.

The suggestions that recordings are produced today just to sell recorded music is all backwards and the sooner the record companies and producers and artists figure this out the sooner they will all quit sniveling over the fact that the entire world is freely sharing their music digitally and isn't willing to stop; and in fact will do anything to circumvent their efforts to get paid for the recordings alone.

The days of producers and musicians putting bands together just to get a recording deal so they can get paid by the record company for a product that usually never even gets released; those days are over. It's time record companies went back to their roots and became what they started out to be; entities who record working acts in order to

1) capture the performance for posterity, and

2) make a promotional tool to get audiences to the next show.

The solution is to give the world all the free music it wants, but to give the recording entity, whether it be a record company or a producer, or whomever, a cut of every live performance. That will do at least two things and maybe more that I haven't even thought about yet. First it will give everyone involved in the recordings a source of revenue (pay day) for all their hard work of producing and promoting the recordings. Second, it will weed out all the so-called "recording artists" who couldn't, in a live venue, perform their way out of a paper bag. In a down economy the public craves live entertainment, so what better time to get back to basics. The timing couldn't be better for a profitable turn around. So now is the time to get it going.

I send you these thoughts in hopes that just maybe a new/old perspective on the subject of recorded music can be presented to the entire recording world and they can all start making a real profit.
-------
Jack Ely, the former lead singer of The Kingsmen, is a veteran horse trainer. He lives in central Oregon.

Heather19
12-10-2008, 04:14 PM
I agree Jayson. There are so many people that have released albums that can honestly not even sing or perform live. It's just purely to make money, and that drives me crazy.

Frunobulax
12-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Great article. It ranks up there with Albini's article about how the major labels ream you before you even start recording. Today there are tools to make sure you can never perform songs live. Antares Auto-Tune, the promulgation of samples and sequencers, the reliance on punch-ins and overdubs, and on-board effects alone make it damn near impossible to replicate studio recordings. That's part of the reason why I as an engineer and producer eschew using these tools. I always strive for continuous takes on the instrumental and make sure that the singer never gets near Auto-Tune. Hell, for one band I'm in I use my laptop openly to generate sounds that would never be possible live (there's a 303 in one song, an organ in another, etc.), but never use a sequencer and always own up to using live electronics. All the bands that throw out trickery are unpopular in the mainstream (Don Caballero, Coachwhips, Mount Eerie, etc.) or unknown. Seriously, you can blame the pop trends of the '90s and the mainstream R&B/rap scene for the shit that happens today. The world would be better without artists like T-Pain screwing around with Auto-Tune only to not use it live, which is a bullshit excuse since Antares makes a rack mountable on-board version of Auto-Tune that works the same as the VST or RTAS, which lets down the audience and also shows how much technology dictates the sound. Fuck, the Flaming Lips admit to using backings for a lot of synths they could never do live, but at least Wayne always sounds like Wayne. It's just sad to see that people don't have to possess and ounce of talent to become popular.

jayson
12-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I couldn't agree more Fruno. Yours is an especially interesting take on it because you are a professional recording engineer and experience this stuff first hand.

For me, the (over)use of technology and effects in the studio has two results.

Firstly, it gives me a greater appreciation for those who don't use them at all, or who use them sparingly at best.

Secondly, it gives me an even greater appreciation for those who have learned to utilize the technology in their live presentations in an organic way. Probably no surprise to anyone that I am about to mention Radiohead, but after Kid A and Amnesiac I was extremely curious as to how they were going to incorporate these new elements into their live sound. The answer was seamlessly. This has informed how they wrote the material which followed on Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows as they knew they'd have to be able to bring these sounds to a live audience. The ability of Phil Selway to play such perfect polyrhythms with some of the programmed beats only shows me what a phenomenal drummer he really is.

You bring up the Flaming Lips and they are another great example. Wayne has responded more than once to the question of "what instrument do you play?" by answering "the recording studio." It's that kind of honesty that I appreciate.

The difference between those who rely on technology in order to exist in the first place and those who use it as another instrument at their disposal is a great one.

Frunobulax
12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Indeed. Radiohead are a great example. Their reliance on loops and bizarre instruments is what behooves them to live performance. Idioteque alone has three loops (drums, Mild und leise sample, and some ambience) that carry the song. They can replicate these by using real drums, keyboards, and guitar effects or flying them in digitally. I've seen videos of both. Greenwood's use of the ondes martenot also allows them to create sounds that seem irreplaceable by using effects, but they simply bring in the unit for shows (a French Connection controller with the compatible sound oscillator and then DI it to the FOH mixer). Coyne's playing of the studio is like Eno's use of the studio, meaning that they both have and continue to use technology as an instrument but manage to pull it off live. Hell, look at Bowie! The Berlin Trilogy had Eno as a musician, not a producer, and had no real drums. But listen to Stage or Live (whichever has some LOW trax), and you can hear that those drum sounds are being replicated live before samplers. Both the use of the synth patches and real drums treated on the fly with what sounds like a heavy compressor and gate with some Fairchild harmonizer allow the studio environment to come to life in a real setting. of Montreal amaze me by doing all their songs live without any backings. They use (like Dirty Projectors and St. Vincent) and Akai sample pad mounted to the drums that trigger distinct drum sounds or unique samples, but don't play to a click - it's all about timing. Selway ranks amongst the best drummers for his polys, and seeing those vodcasts shows why Radiohead are one of the best bands out there today period.

REAL EXPERIENCE: When I first started remixing, engineering, and co-producing the CD for one of the bands I'm in, I had to build up a song from the ground floor. I mean, every part had to be reinstated into Pro Tools, all effects were stripped, etc. This damn song was coming from an HD system (unlimited tracks) to an LE system (limited tracks), and we had to pile through all of the previous producer's edits, effects units, and EQ marks. I realized that this guy had been raised on Pro Tools only - there were literally over 50 edits to the drum track alone, the vocals were pieced together from approximately 20 takes, and the backing vocals were treated with Auto-Tune...very obvious Auto-Tune (he had bounced these vox down so we could never strip them of the effect...bastard). I was raised using tape my first week at the studio, then moved on to Pro Tools. I learned how to edit, track, and mix using tape, I learned how not to punch in, what effects to use, and quickly took to a minimal style. I worked for a total of 40 hours with tape before moving on to Pro Tools. That's not a lot, but each hour was so intense that it felt like 160 by the time I was done. Mixing the single track in question took me a month and a half, over 100 hours, no fewer than 10 different final mixdowns, seven different sound systems and three weeks of working from 10am to 3am the next morning to get it right. Technology had ruined the songs core, which was a simple poppy song to contrast the stoner rock sound of the rest of the album. Where he had used no fewer than five effects on the vocals (compressor, EQ, light Auto-Tune, limiter, de-esser), I used two (compression, EQ). The guitar tracks (all eight of them) suffered the same fate at his hands and the same salvaging at mine. I hate that song, but it stands as one of my proudest moments because I eschewed technology at it's most base level.

Unfound One
12-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm curious, does anybody here listen to The Streets?

What do ya think of him if yes?

Heather19
01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
According to Jeff Coffin's site it appears as if he's going to be joining the Dave Matthews Band. I don't know if this means he's just going to be joining the band for their 2009 tour, or if he's planning on becoming a permanent member. And I kinda wonder what this means for the Flecktones. From what I've gathered I don't think they're planning on touring till next fall, so it won't interfere with DMB's tour since they're usually done by sept.
Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it. I can't really see anyone replacing Roi, but I guess if someone's going to Jeff would be a good pick.
http://www.jeffcoffin.com/

jayson
01-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Seems like a good fit for me. As long as touring schedules permit, I'm sure Jeff can manage to be in both bands. Truth be told, I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing Bela mix things up a bit. I like what Coffin does, but I'd be willing to listen to another horn player too. As long as Victor and Bela stay I'll be fine. Seeing Bela with Stanley Clarke and Jean-Luc Ponty was pretty damn cool.

Heather19
01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
For selfish reasons, I hope he at least stays with the Flecktones till I get a chance to see them. I've been saying for years that I want to catch them live at some point, but haven't yet.

jayson
01-01-2009, 04:59 PM
It's a good live show, especially when Victor and Bela each take their extended solo sections. Victor's is always particularly interesting.

obscurejude
01-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Satch Boogie is one of the songs on the new Guitar Hero. :panic:

jayson
01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Interesting article on a theory of music and human evolution.

http://www.economist.com/printedition/PrinterFriendly.cfm?story_id=12795510

flaggwalkstheline
01-12-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm curious, does anybody here listen to The Streets?

What do ya think of him if yes?

mike skinner/the streets is awesome!
Ive been totally getting into british hip hop recently
I like it better than american hip hop/ rap which i feel has become comercialized and stagnant
Jamie T is my favorite by far, cant wait for his 2nd album

fernandito
01-18-2009, 10:48 AM
This looks interesting... :D

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/badfish.jpg

jayson
01-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Tribute bands make me cringe. They always wind up reminding me of the band that played Otto's wedding on the Simpsons...

"We're Cynanide, a loving tribute to Poison!"

Covers are one thing, but doing a whole show based on imitating another band is something else entirely. The only thing worse is these "reunion tours" where real bands become their own tribute band.

Brice
01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
The only way I'd really be interested in that tribute is if Del Rey were playing. I can accept a tribute done by surviving band members alot easier than others.

Oh, and that was an interesting article. Steven Pinker whom they mention in it is a really smart guy who's written some good books in the fields of linguistics and neuroscience, but this quote killed me. :wtf:

Singing is auditory masturbation to satisfy this craving. Playing musical instruments is auditory pornography

flaggwalkstheline
01-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I like midget-kiss better than normal kiss

jayson
01-18-2009, 01:42 PM
The only way I'd really be interested in that tribute is if Del Rey were playing. I can accept a tribute done by surviving band members alot easier than others.

Those kinds of things are slightly more acceptable on some level, but on another level it kind of makes me sad.

Oh, and that was an interesting article. Steven Pinker whom they mention in it is a really smart guy who's written some good books in the fields of linguistics and neuroscience, but this quote killed me. :wtf:

Singing is auditory masturbation to satisfy this craving. Playing musical instruments is auditory pornography

It is a great quote. It reminds me of Zappa criticizing guitar players who go 'weedle-dee-deedle-dee-dee' in their solos and calling it "musical masturbation." That, in turn, always leads me to a quote from Marc Ribot joking about unsophisticated fans who go crazy when guitar players play high notes really loud because these fans don't realize that a guitar is not a trumpet and it is no more difficult on a guitar to play a loud high note than a low one.

obscurejude
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Tribute bands, I don't know... I do like the occasional tribute show, though, for musicians that have died. Its a way to honor somebody after they have passed and have had an impact on your own music playing. I've been really touched by some Elliott Smith tribute shows.

Brice
01-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Oh, I've heard some good tribute bands myself. There's just something that doesn't feel right about it for me. It's like their having some level of success because of tragedy in a way. I don't really know how to say it. It just seems depressing to me usually.

obscurejude
01-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh, I've heard some good tribute bands myself. There's just something that doesn't feel right about it for me. It's like their having some level of success because of tragedy in a way. I don't really know how to say it. It just seems depressing to me usually.

All the proceeds from the Elliott Smith tribute shows go to the Elliott Smith Foundation.

jayson
01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I agree Ryan. A tribute show/album by artists covering the works of another artist (who has passed, or who is an influence, etc) is far different than a tribute band.

That said, most tribute shows/albums I have seen or heard have been horrible. There's such a seeming lack of originality as people tend to cover the songs trying to sound exactly like the original. It never quite works for me. Still, the thought behind it is in the right place, and when, as you pointed out, the proceeds go to a worthy cause, it's that much more worthwhile even if the music is less than stellar.

Tribute bands, on the other hand, are for people who can't get over not having seen some real band in their prime so they settle for imitators.

Oh, and Brice, thanks for commenting on that article. Glad you liked it. I posted it at two radically different guitar forums I belong to and was simply stunned at the lack of response it got from people who allege to love music.

flaggwalkstheline
01-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm about to radically change the subject from tribute bands if I may
Does anybody else in here feel the way I do? (pink floyd quote)
About the fact that the current generation of musicians need to (and I'm sure eventually will) create something NEW, something disconnected with wallowing in the 60/70s nostalgia that rock n roll has become?
Something in fact disconnected from the 2nd half of the 20th century, something as disconnected from Rock n roll as rock n roll is from jazz?
N I dont mean hip hop n rap or any of the currently commercial/ stagnant pop/ electronic/ autotunes/ narcissistic crap being billed as "R n B" or whatever they call it now being played on ur local radio stations

Right now our music is still the music of the 20th century despite being almost a decade in, but thats ok since Minstrel Shows and brass bands were still the prefered (American) entertainment in the years 1900-1910

What do u think the first wave of distinctly 21st century music will be?
And I mean from anywhere not just the USA
is it already happening and I just don't know it yet?

Brice
01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I agree Ryan. A tribute show/album by artists covering the works of another artist (who has passed, or who is an influence, etc) is far different than a tribute band.

That said, most tribute shows/albums I have seen or heard have been horrible. There's such a seeming lack of originality as people tend to cover the songs trying to sound exactly like the original. It never quite works for me. Still, the thought behind it is in the right place, and when, as you pointed out, the proceeds go to a worthy cause, it's that much more worthwhile even if the music is less than stellar.

Tribute bands, on the other hand, are for people who can't get over not having seen some real band in their prime so they settle for imitators.

Oh, and Brice, thanks for commenting on that article. Glad you liked it. I posted it at two radically different guitar forums I belong to and was simply stunned at the lack of response it got from people who allege to love music.

Maybe because they weren't intelligent enough to grasp it. :lol: Either that or too lazy to read the article.

jayson
01-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Maybe because they weren't intelligent enough to grasp it. :lol: Either that or too lazy to read the article.

From what I know of them, it's a little from column A, a little from column B. For the one forum, mostly A. :evil:

Heather19
01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Anyone listen to Xavier Rudd? A friend gave me a bunch of his cd's last week, and I honestly can not stop listening to them. I love them.
I didn't know if there were any other fans around here.

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 04:13 PM
What kind of music is it Heather? The name sounds familiar. :orely:

Heather19
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
hmmm, I don't really know how to describe it. It reminds me alot of John Butler Trio though.
Here's a video, it's probably not the best, but it's the first thing that came up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Szkj_TCeo

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Sweet. I love some dobro. :) I'll have to check some of his stuff out. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Heather19
01-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I think you'll enjoy his stuff Ryan. Check out White Moth first or Food in the Belly.
I've known about him for awhile now, because he's played with DMB in the past, but I just never got around to checking him out. Now I'm kicking myself for not listening to him sooner.

jayson
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Sweet. I love some dobro. :)

Then be sure to check out Jerry Douglas if you haven't already.

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 04:28 PM
One of my favorite songs of the past 10 years:

Bebo Norman, Walk Down this Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFG4ofzeVg

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 04:28 PM

All in due time. You know how I like to savor new artists like expensive wines.

jayson
01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Indeed. Just making sure the finest vintage is on your radar, which in terms of living dobro players, is Jerry Douglas. :)

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the recommendation my friend. Duly noted. :couple:

Heather19
01-26-2009, 04:34 PM

All in due time. You know how I like to savor new artists like expensive wines.

I'm the same way, when I find someone new that I like I tend to listen to them non-stop for awhile before I move onto something else.

Heather19
01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Jayson, here's the famous Some Devil video. I figured I'd post it here so others could see it. Enjoy! :)
What I particularly like about this version, is all the feeling and emotion that he sings the song with. It's wonderful when you see a musician loose their self in a song. It adds so much more to the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkdovGAyFeY&feature=channel_page

jayson
01-28-2009, 08:44 AM
He's definitely into it. I can see why you like it so much. :)

Heather19
01-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, I was going to pass on another version, but since you hadn't heard it before I thought you'd appreciate that one more.

jayson
02-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Article on the results of study which may suggest that humans are born hardwired to appreciate rhythm. I'd like to get a copy of the study itself. This may explain why Ella seems to really like it when I play the Ramones.

http://www.babycenter.com/204_babies-are-born-with-rhythm-study-says_10305475.bc?print=true&scid=momsbaby_20090203:2&pe=2UvPvpa

Babies are born with rhythm, study says

Tue, Jan 27, 2009 (HealthDay News) — Babies who smile when they hear a Beatles classic may be more happy than gassy, suggest researchers who studied newborns and their capacity to detect rhythm.

"People can easily synchronize to music, because we have expectations about how the beat or tempo will proceed," said study author Henkjan Honing, a professor of music cognition at the University of Amsterdam. "We were very interested to see if we could show that newborns do this as well."

The researchers played rock music for newborn babies while monitoring their brain activity and found that even newborn infants were able to detect an off beat.

"Basically, we had these babies listening to a rock rhythm, which is very regular, and once in awhile, there is a missing downbeat," said Honing. "We can infer from this methodology that these babies have a high expectation of a beat on a moment which is completely silent."

The findings, which were expected to be published in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, add to a growing body of evidence about babies' understanding of the world around them.

"It's evidence for the fact that babies have a central rhythm when they are born," Honing explained. "It's pre-language, it's very musical and very rhythmic."

"There are studies that show infants can distinguish between their language and a foreign language in utero, and they are probably using rhythm to do that," said Ann Senghas, an assistant professor of psychology at Barnard College of Columbia University. "The downbeat is like an edge finder, or the boundary of rhythm."

But some researchers are cautious about extrapolating that humans are wired for music specifically, preferring to focus on the larger communicative benefits.

"You don't have to conclude that infants are specifically wired for music, but you can say that infants are naturally wired to find language in the world," explained Senghas. "We pick up on it by music, and we enjoy having it because of music, but I don't think we're wired for music."

The researchers agreed that the study raises several important questions for future studies to answer.
"You could say that these mechanisms also support communication, so we're very interested in how these might affect parent-child interaction," Honing said.

"It would be interesting to see how languages are shaped by these processes," said Senghas. "When you have children who seem to not be picking up on language correctly, it gives us one more thing to know what typical children are like to see if something is wrong."

Seymour_Glass
02-06-2009, 05:30 PM
That's crazy awesome.

jayson
02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Apparently the Springsteen Super Bowl Halftime performance was pre-recorded except for Bruce's vocals.

This causes me to seriously question Bruce's integrity. This is a man who made his reputation on his legendary live performances. For someone like him to agree to miming a live performance while a tape played is quite upsetting. I expected better things from someone like him. I thought we were long past the era where artists were forced to pretend to play live when they appeared on television. Obviously some still do but I thought those were the ones whose music is primarily a studio creation and can't actually perform live, not a band that earned its way into the recording studio as a live act. So disappointing. :(

Secondly, it only further reinforces my previous criticisms of the performance itself. For the band's timing to be off on a pre-recorded performance is unacceptable. They could always record another take and get it right. Same goes for the mix. If it's pre-recorded the sound can be tweaked so the bass and drums can be heard clearly as opposed to what was aired last Sunday.

All in all, it makes me question a lot of previous opinions I had about Bruce.

--------
Did Bruce Springsteen's band pre-record their Super Bowl performance?

http://www.nme.com/news/bruce-springsteen-and-the-e-street-band/42549

Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band pre-recorded the music that was played during their Super Bowl half-time performance on Sunday (February 1), according to one of the event's producers.

Apparently the only live element of the performance was the Boss' vocals, while the music was laid down ahead of time.

“The Super Bowl performances are all on tape,” producer of Super Bowl pre-game entertainment Hank Neuberger told the Chicago Tribune.

“There is no way you can set up a full band in five minutes with microphones, get all the settings right, and expect to get quality sound,” he said. “The Super Bowl has been doing that for years with virtually all the bands.”

The music for 's pre-game performance was also pre-recorded, as previously reported.

flaggwalkstheline
02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
It doesnt make me question bruces integrity much cause hes still the boss and is still awesome, but it really makes clear what a commerciallized fiasco the halftime show is, and I dont think it was prerecorded I just think it was a sorry spectacle, if it was prerecorded it might have sounded better

obscurejude
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah, it doesn't make me question his integrity either. With the new album, it would have been hard to turn down an opportunity like the Super Bowl. I'm not surprised to find out the majority of the performances are pre recorded, and it might have been more the decision of his label than his personally. Professional Sports and everything are mutually exclusive for me because I hate professional sports- no offense Jayson. I just couldn't care less, whether its Tom Petty, Paul McCartney, or the Stones. If they're playing the super bowl, I'm not even interested enough to record the half time show. It'd be like going to a shitty festival and being disappointed they didn't play songs any differently from the radio. It was a publicity stunt and if anyone expects anything more, I think their expectations might be out of line.

jayson
02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, it doesn't make me question his integrity either. With the new album, it would have been hard to turn down an opportunity like the Super Bowl.

With an act that's already established for 30 years, I don't think it's exactly a make or break opportunity for them. It's not like they needed the exposure or anything.

I'm not surprised to find out the majority of the performances are pre recorded, and it might have been more the decision of his label than his personally.

I'm not either. I am surprised Bruce agreed to it though and I would be immensely surprised if this far into the game the label tells Bruce anything. He's not some up and comer. He's made the label millions of dollars. He can pretty much decide what he will and won't do to promote his music at this point.

It'd be like going to a shitty festival and being disappointed they didn't play songs any differently from the radio. It was a publicity stunt and if anyone expects anything more, I think their expectations might be out of line.

I think it would be significantly different if they actually played live in real time at said shitty festival. A festival gig is not a publicity stunt, it's a real gig. It wouldn't be the greatest live performance ever but it would be an authentic live performance, not dress-up and pretend.

I don't think too highly of the Super Bowl Halftime show as a gig either and I have certainly made fun of every band that has done it to date (except Prince because he put on a real performance and played that guitar like it was on fire). Still, as cheesy a gig as I thought the Super Bowl was, I still thought the performances were real. Now I know better.

It is just a publicity stunt as you've said, but that's precisely what makes me question his integrity. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect an artist who built his career on his reputation as a live performer to know the difference between the two and choose accordingly.

obscurejude
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Have you read anything by Bruce himself, Jayson? I wonder how much control he actually had. I realize that he's not an up and comer, but sometimes that means very little depending on the terms of recording contracts. I've been very surprised by some of the things I've read about Eric Clapton even this late in the game.

jayson
02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
I think he has enough control to say no and that's what I'd expect of someone of his stature when asked to fake a live performance. I strongly doubt that at this point in his career a record company can force him to do anything he doesn't agree to himself. I'm sure he and his legal team are savvy enough to not have things in the contract that Bruce would be opposed to doing. My mistake was apparently in calculating those things Bruce "would be opposed to doing" to include a fake live performance. Lesson learned on that one.

The fact of the matter is, whatever the reasons are, he did it. Short of a literal gun to the head, I can't envision a reason it's acceptable for an artist of his reputation to present a synch-up performance as a genuine live one. I expected a bit more from him than I do someone like Ashlee Simpson. Lesson learned there as well.

obscurejude
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Ashlee Simpson is the best thing to happen to music since the Beatles.

jayson
02-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Unfound One
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I found this entertaining...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w

jayson
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Funny SJ :lol:

Now you see why the following was a manifesto for so many punk bands in the 70's...

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/NowStartaBand.jpg

It's certainly all the theory one needs to derive enjoyment from playing music. As my friend Joe says "anything else is just showing off."

Seymour_Glass
02-09-2009, 04:21 AM
I know those chords!! :dance::nana:

Brice
02-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Ashlee Simpson is the best thing to happen to music since the Beatles.

Couldn't you have just stabbed me instead of saying that. :cry:

Funny SJ :lol:

Now you see why the following was a manifesto for so many punk bands in the 70's...

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/NowStartaBand.jpg

It's certainly all the theory one needs to derive enjoyment from playing music. As my friend Joe says "anything else is just showing off."

I can't even manage that. :( My fingers refuse to conform.

jayson
02-09-2009, 05:58 AM
I know those chords!! :dance::nana:

Then you have all the tools you need. :)

I can't even manage that. :( My fingers refuse to conform.

We can always tune your guitar to an open tuning and then you can just play chords with one finger.

Or you can play drums. You can count to four can't you? :P

Heather19
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
That was great SJ, thanks for posting it. I gotta kick out of it.

jayson
03-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Here's as good a reason as any to play music, and another reason I intend to encourage Ella to do so...

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=7050081

Want to Rewire Your Brain? Study Music
All Those Hours at the Piano Paid Off: A Musician's Brain Recognizes Sound That Carries Emotion

Opinion By LEE DYE
March 11, 2009 —

All those hours practicing the piano pay off big time by biologically enhancing a person's ability to quickly recognize and mentally process sounds that carry emotion, according to a new study.

The study, from Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., offers a new line of evidence that the brain we end up with is not necessarily the same brain we started out with.

"We are measuring what the nervous system has become, based on an individual's experience with sound," Nina Kraus, director of the university's groundbreaking Auditory Neuroscience Laboratory, said in a telephone interview.

Kraus and a team of researchers attached electrodes to the heads of 30 people, half of whom were serious musicians and half of whom had no significant musical training. The electrodes measure electricity, "which is, of course, the currency of the nervous system," Kraus said. The study revealed two major differences between the musicians and the nonmusicians.

Musicians heard an emotion-packed, complex sound with an enhanced sensitivity, and they also were less distracted by simple sounds, according to the study, published in the current issue of the European Journal of Neuroscience.

"What we found in this study is both an enhancement and an economy of resources varies as a function of the extent of musical experience," Kraus said. "The more years the person has been playing an instrument, and the earlier the person began musical training, the larger the effect."

Although many other studies have tried to show the beneficial effects of musical training, the researchers said their findings "provide the first biological evidence for behavioral observations indicating that musical training enhances the perception of vocally expressed emotion." The findings have implications far beyond the world of music.

"The same neural transcription process that is enhanced in musicians is found to be deficient in some children with language disorders such as dyslexia and autism," Kraus noted.

The research suggests that something as basic as musical training may be a useful therapeutic device, along with other more traditional techniques.

Emotional ID

"Quickly and accurately identifying emotion in sound is a skill that translates across all arenas, whether in the predator-infested jungle or in the classroom, boardroom or bedroom," said Dana Strait, a doctoral candidate in the music department and lead author of the study.

The researchers relied on an emotion-packed sound that has been used for many years by scientists around the world who have studied auditory processes -- the sound of an infant crying. That sound carries an enormous emotional load, but it is also a surprisingly complex sound.

Sound waves measured during the experiment show periods of relatively mild emotional content in the sounds from the baby -- almost a straight line on a chart -- punctuated with brief bursts of complex sounds that vary in intensity, frequency and strength.

The participants, wearing earphones, sat in front of a monitor showing nature films with subtitles. Every now and then, they heard the sound of a baby crying through the earphones. The electrodes measured the stimulus -- the baby crying -- and the response of each participant.

As expected, the musicians had an enhanced ability to pick up on the emotional cues of the sound. But the researchers were a little surprised to learn that the musicians were more attuned to the complex sounds -- those carrying the most emotion -- than to the less significant "periodic" sounds of crying. That allowed them to devote more resources to the important sounds and virtually ignore the sounds that carried little emotion.

Who We Are, What We Have Done

That reflects an increased economy of resources -- don't waste energy listening to something that says nothing.

"Enhancements, reflected by larger time -- and frequency -- domain response magnitudes, were most evident in musicians' responses to the most complex portions of the sound, with economy (smaller amplitudes) seen in their responses to the periodic portion," the researchers report.

The findings might seem open to the chicken-and-egg debate. Did the musicians perform better because they are naturally more sensitive to sounds, and thus more likely to study music? Or did their nervous systems change because they were exposed to music for more than a decade?

The researchers feel confident the correct answer is the latter.

"With musician studies you always wonder if the person was just born with a more accurate sensor," Kraus said. "And there's probably an element of that. We're all a combination of nature and nurture."

But the fact that all the musicians performed so much better than the nonmusicians clearly shows that the study of music -- not an innate musical aptitude -- literally changed the way the musicians' brains processed sounds, the researchers concluded.

"Our results provide evidence for a subcortical role in the processing of emotional cues by showing that auditory brainstem responses to emotionally salient vocal sounds are dynamic, shaped by life-long, multisensory experience with auditory signals," the researchers note. "These responses are not hardwired but malleable with extensive auditory training."

In other words, we aren't just who we are. We're also what we have done.

tamez
05-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Ok so i've had Eminem Relapse for a couple days now
upon review i find it kinda stale.

best tracks are Same Song n Dance which is nightmarish
and sorta awesome.

Medicine Ball is my fave though.

the highlight of the entire album for me
is the Christopher Reeves spoof. in Medicine Ball.
you guys gotta hear it 'cause that shit is funny
some prime rhymes right there baby

as a whole though, i find Slim Shady
to be getting rather tiresome
and the beats are annoying on some of the songs
but that's Dr. Dre for you. he goes out on a limb
and it doesn't always work out.

flaggwalkstheline
05-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Ok so i've had Eminem Relapse for a couple days now
upon review i find it kinda stale.

best tracks are Same Song n Dance which is nightmarish
and sorta awesome.

Medicine Ball is my fave though.

the highlight of the entire album for me
is the Christopher Reeves spoof. in Medicine Ball.
you guys gotta hear it 'cause that shit is funny
some prime rhymes right there baby

as a whole though, i find Slim Shady
to be getting rather tiresome
and the beats are annoying on some of the songs
but that's Dr. Dre for you. he goes out on a limb
and it doesn't always work out.

American hip hop is creatively stagnant for the most part, even eminem cant completely escape it, its like metal in the late 80s prior to nirvana

I listen to mike skinner, jamie t and dizzy rascal
grime-hop kicks way more ass than our stuff

tamez
05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
for the most part i agree
i think with a different producer MM
could be stellar
technically his lyrics are spot on
and tight. he is a good writer

but he is just stuck with the same topics
over and over and he knows it
you can tell when he's all
"I guess it's time for you to hate me again"
and "My mom my mom
I know youre probably tired of hearing about my mom
Oh ho! Whoa ho! "
so dude, if you know you're stale change it up!
i think he should separate from Dre.
i'm tired of Dre beats

as far as american rap goes
I agree, it's not in it's heyday of course
but my fave atm is Z-Ro

Brice
05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I think essentially the problem is the majority of his fanbase doesn't want him to change. If he changes too much he risks a lot of money and I'm not sure he's prepared to do that. He should be approaching it like he's broke again. I've yet to hear the new album though.

Seymour_Glass
05-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Man, fans are such bitches.

flaggwalkstheline
05-21-2009, 07:04 PM
I think eminem is VERY good but he's being like ACDC in that he keeps releasing similar stuff without evolving and its all entertaining to be sure and the music video for We made You is AWESOME but he's starting to get stagnant
hmmm hopefully in his next album he does something nobody expects
most rap fans wouldnt like it though, theyre as bad as punk fans:arg:

Brice
05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
He needs to not give a fuck whether anyone likes it or not.

flaggwalkstheline
05-21-2009, 07:22 PM
He needs to not give a fuck whether anyone likes it or not.

what makes it really ironic is that not giving a shit is a cornerstone of his whole shtick

Brice
05-22-2009, 01:30 AM
I know...I know. :)

I suspect his not giving a fuck doesn't apply to his own financial success. Honestly though he's made enough money he can afford to REALLY not give a fuck about that either.

AlishaRiley
05-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Oh, man, you guys need to listen to Scroobius Pip. :wub:

jayson
05-22-2009, 03:36 AM
... theyre as bad as punk fans:arg:

some of us punk fans understand and expect an artist to change, but i do exactly what you mean though, it's really not exclusive to rap or punk fans.

fear of an artist evolving seems a pretty well-populated position across genres. listen to some stanley crouch's famous articles dismissing miles when he branched out into adding elements of rock and funk to his music. listen to people like ken burns and wynton marsalis who think that jazz is a very specific form of music that is to be played in very specific ways lest it ever change. when bird and dizzy and their colleagues started be-bop, the jazz purists then said the same thing. later it was the hard-bop guys saying that ornette and trane and albert ayler and the other "free jazz/new music" weren't playing jazz (some said it wasn't even music). the folkies went ballistic on dylan when he dared to pick up an electric guitar and back himself with the likes of the Hawks.

I was listening to a live interview/performance show with the Black Keys who were talking about recording their most recent album with producer Danger Mouse who is more known for producing artists like Jay-Z and Gnarls Barkley than a heavy blues rock band like the Keys. They said they were getting a lot of crap from fans who were afraid they were going to change and become something else. Patrick Carney, the drummer said something to the effect of "sometimes fans are idiots," and he couldn't be more right.

Ideally, a musician wants people to like their music, but also ideally, a musician doesn't care if they do or not. If they do, it's a great bonus and can be financially rewarding, but pleasing fans shouldn't be much of a motivating factor, and fans that think it should be are the first to be disappointed every time.

Frunobulax
05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
I saw Kill Yr Idols on Monday. Great doc about No Wave. Made me think about how much we've homogenized and commercialized the ideals of proto-punk. Suicide would called fucking synthpop today, Contortions some version of indie rock, Theoretical Girls noise rock. Shit, Ponytail and Marnie Stern may be the last No Wavers who understand what it means.

jayson
05-27-2009, 03:55 AM
As usual, I couldn't agree more Fruno.

At least NYC got to see some authentic No Wave last week during the week long Ribot retrospective. He did shows with all of his old projects (the ones for which he was leader) so these included shows by Shrek and Rootless Cosmopolitans, two bands firmly rooted in that scene in both sound and membership.

flaggwalkstheline
05-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Made me think about how much we've homogenized and commercialized the ideals of proto-punk.

I have but one response to statements like this (which are for the most part right)

YouTube - Mindless Self Indulgence "Shut Me Up" music video

Seymour_Glass
06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I've come to the conclusion that pop-punk is over, now that Green Day is all huge and ambitious and blink-182 is gonna try their damnedest to sound like the Cure.
Thank God.

Frunobulax
06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Green Day started sucking since day 1. Dookie was a decent album, then stuff happened and the overly ambitious and almost pretentious American Idiot dropped. Then they became just pure loads of ass. I know people are gonna be angry at me for saying that, too. Pop-punk was never a valid scene. Most of the bands were just emoshits posing as punks to try to gain credibility and earn respect.

jayson
06-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I'd propose The Ergs! as a band that makes highly listenable pop-punk played by three guys that can actually play the shit out of their instruments.

If you want a pure pop-punk album with no pretension, I highly recommend their Dorkrockcorkrod. If you like that, they have others, but that's the best place to start.

flaggwalkstheline
06-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Green Day started sucking since day 1. Dookie was a decent album, then stuff happened and the overly ambitious and almost pretentious American Idiot dropped. Then they became just pure loads of ass. I know people are gonna be angry at me for saying that, too. Pop-punk was never a valid scene. Most of the bands were just emoshits posing as punks to try to gain credibility and earn respect.

I disagree, I find dookie and kerplunk to be rather overly simplistic and childish but from warning forward green day have been that rare band that is as good as they are popular, I have listening to 21st century breakdown almost constantly since I got it and I really like it, though your right about pop punk as scene being fake and pretencious, though green day havent been pop punk for a while now...

Frunobulax
06-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Decent, not good. Green Day has never been by any means music of worth.

Frunobulax
06-02-2009, 06:58 PM
FWIW, The Ergs! and the Descendants made music that was actually pretty damn good.

jayson
06-02-2009, 07:03 PM
And The Ergs! are very derivative of the Descendants, which is what attracted me to them in the first place. Unlike many other bands under the same umbrella, The Ergs! manage to utilize a wide range of pop sensibilities without becoming simply pop with power chords.

Frunobulax
06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
It's the fact that you understand this stuff that makes me appreciate you as a person, Jayson. Yes, The Ergs! represent one of the last recent bands that made power punk/powerpop without being absolutely trite or meaningless.

jayson
06-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Right back at you my friend. :)

I did read recently that The Ergs! are done playing shows, but it sounded like they weren't necessarily done as a recording entity. I hope not anyway.

Seymour_Glass
06-03-2009, 05:06 PM
I really like the Descendents.

And I have to say I do enjoy Green Day. *cringes at potential response*
American Idiot came out when I was in seventh grade, and it made a huge impression on me.

And their stuff before that I can dip into occasionally. But pop-punk never seemed legit to me either. And, say what you will about Green Day, but they never were as whiny and annoying as blink-182.

flaggwalkstheline
06-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I dont like blink 182 either HOWEVER they have one truly great genre transcending song and that song is Adam's Song it seems that they dont have another one like that in them

Empath of the White
06-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Anyone here listen to Gogol Bordello? Start Wearing Purple is a pretty catchy tune. They're definitley different from what I usually listen to. I think "gypsy rock" is the best way to describe them. Here's a vid:

American Wedding:
YouTube - Gogol Bordello - "American Wedding" Side One Dummy

Start Wearing Purple:
YouTube - Gogol Bordello - "Start Wearing Purple" Side One Dummy

I don't have any of their CD's, but that'll be changing soon.:thumbsup:

Frunobulax
06-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I have all of the Gogol stuff on my hard drive. Good shit, mang. Eugene Hütz was interviewed for Kill Yr Idols and may be one of the only people from the New York scene to actually get what No Wave was about. Plus he's fucking likable as shit - dude has charisma to spare.

flaggwalkstheline
06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Gogol Bordello rules

Frunobulax
06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
New Dinosaur Jr. leaked. Have yet to listen to it, but I'm hoping it's better than their last one.

jayson
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
...but I'm hoping it's better than their last one.

It would pretty much have to be, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Seymour_Glass
06-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I haven't listened to any post-80s Dinosaur. I have however, become very caught up in Sebadoh and Lou Barlow's solo stuff.

Frunobulax
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Sebadoh is good. Post-80s Dino has its charms. Green Mind and Where You Been are both really good albums, not You're Living All Over Me and Bug but not half as bad as their last album(s). By the way, Farm is not bad. It just feels like J is a little unimpressed.

The Folk Implosion fucking suck, which hurts since I really like Sebadoh. If you like lo-fi, I suggest Guided By Voices and early Microphones. Later period Microphones and Mount Eerie are less noisy more tuneful (The Glow Pt. 2 = probably my favorite album of all time from post 2000s). However if you begin to get into fucking Brian Jonestown Massacre, I may have to disown you as my official indie padawan, Seymour. I shall take you under my wing and make you into a musical omnivore.

ALSO ALSO
The Black Eyed Peas released a new single...thanks for the info Stereogum. Here's what will.i.am (AKA the luckiest man with no talent or skill) says about the song: this song is dedicated to everyone who is getting ready to go out...

its the song to iisten to when you drive to the club or party...

its the song to listen to after a long day or week at work...

its the song to that makes me wanna through my stress away...

So he wants to burrow his stress away? Spelling fail. And the song is shit. Utter fucking shit.

jayson
06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
So he wants to burrow his stress away? Spelling fail. And the song is shit. Utter fucking shit.

Big shock there. They may win the award for the most derivative act ever recorded.

Seymour_Glass
06-04-2009, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=Frunobulax;400288]
its the song to that makes me wanna through my stress away...[QUOTE]

:wtf:

Wow.... and now he "acts", too. Jesus. He's going on my hit list right under Chad Kroger.

But thank you, Fruno, for taking me on. I promise you I shall learn well, master. :bows:

flaggwalkstheline
06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
black eyed peas are aweful

the only thing they ever did right was letting weird al polkatize "the dontya wish you girlfriend was a freak like me?" song for me to put as my cell phone ring

sarajean
06-04-2009, 03:57 PM
black eyed peas are aweful

the only thing they ever did right was letting weird al polkatize "the dontya wish you girlfriend was a freak like me?" song for me to put as my cell phone ring

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/unsure.gif i'm pretty sure that wasn't them. http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/unsure.gif

flaggwalkstheline
06-04-2009, 04:12 PM
oh right that was the pussycat dolls
oops
both those bands suck monkey crap through a straw

obscurejude
06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, all you ultra cool hipsters can listen to your indie records and keep circle jerking.

Frunobulax
06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I will. Hell, I'll jerk off with the hole in my ultra rare K Records 7". That I got for free. From an indie store. So bah.

flaggwalkstheline
06-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Well, all you ultra cool hipsters can listen to your indie records and keep circle jerking.

As illustrated in some earlier posts, I listen to green day so the indy hipsters dont like me either:dance: I'm reinventing the definition of hipster as I go and right now I'm in the wavy haired kramer-esque doofus stage:nana:

jayson
06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
me, i'm just as hip when i listen to miles who was on columbia as when i listen to my back catalog of sst records. :cool:

flaggwalkstheline
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM
and furthermore! the only circle jerks I like involve keith morris (circle jerks being the second band of pre rollins black flag singer keith morris)

Frunobulax
06-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Circle Jerks - Black Flag for the remedial punkers. That being said, Group Sex is a great album. And any Black Flag post Process of Weeding Out kinda sucks. I'm a hipster who hates hipsters - hell, I think I have a wide enough taste to skirt every classification. Jayson, I found two Frisell discs at the library! Me=happy.

jayson
06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm a hipster who hates hipsters - hell, I think I have a wide enough taste to skirt every classification.
No doubt about that. Hell with Naked City alone the two of us listen to a wider range of music genres than normal people. :D

Jayson, I found two Frisell discs at the library! Me=happy.

Awesome! Which ones?

Frunobulax
06-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Yes yes yes! Throw in The Boredoms and OOIOO for me (shit, Jandek is seventeen genres at once as well). They had Blues Dream and Ghost Town - two of his I haven't heard yet.

jayson
06-04-2009, 07:14 PM
They had Blues Dream and Ghost Town - two of his I haven't heard yet.

You are in for a real treat! Blues Dream is phenomenal from top to bottom (especially the song "Ron Carter" which appeals greatly to a Miles fanatic like me) and Ghost Town stands out because it's a fully solo album. I love the bands/session groups that Frisell puts together, but there's something about hearing him all by himself that really illustrates just how amazing he is. Also, he covers a John McLaughlin song on that one, so that's a bonus.

Frunobulax
06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
It has your seal of approval, and so I look forward to them.

jayson
06-04-2009, 07:22 PM
They're both definitely in the upper echelon of Frisell albums for me. I look forward to hearing what you think as you get to know them.

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Well, I'm listening to The Cure, so I'm crying during the great Circle Jerk.

sarajean
06-05-2009, 11:57 AM

i'm sigging this.

Frunobulax
06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Staring At The Sea is one of the pivotal albums of my childhood.

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 12:27 PM

i'm sigging this.

:excited:YESSS!!!!:dance::nana:

sarajean
06-05-2009, 12:36 PM

:couple:

Seymour_Glass
06-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Brokencyde should DIE!!

Frunobulax
06-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I hated them since they first came out. Sputnikmusic has a hilarious review of them.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=38690

Seymour_Glass
06-25-2009, 08:54 PM
That review is the truth. I was doing one of the whole "ABC of artists", and we had to stop at B. I said the Beatles, he said Brokencyde. I proceeded directly to F, then U, then I left.:shoot:

Frunobulax
06-25-2009, 09:04 PM
What. The. FUCK?!? Why would you ever say Brokencyde to Beatles?!? You could go Bowie, Beefheart, Boris, a dozen other talented artists. But NOOOO he had to shit in your mouth and call it a sundae with Brokencyde? I would have just said that he lost all respect to me and walked away without ever getting angry. Or say Fugazi, Unearth.

flaggwalkstheline
06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I hated them since they first came out. Sputnikmusic has a hilarious review of them.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=38690

ah ha ha just read that
sounds like some of the worst shit ever made
lookout frampton comes alive, theres a new contender for biggest pile of flaming crap :nana:

Seymour_Glass
06-26-2009, 08:11 AM
What. The. FUCK?!? Why would you ever say Brokencyde to Beatles?!? You could go Bowie, Beefheart, Boris, a dozen other talented artists. But NOOOO he had to shit in your mouth and call it a sundae with Brokencyde? I would have just said that he lost all respect to me and walked away without ever getting angry. Or say Fugazi, Unearth.

In reality I just facepalmed and left the room.

Frunobulax
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Facepalm is a suitable retort.

Ruthful
06-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Went to see The Wolfetones last night. The funny thing is that I was the only person among my friends who was even remotely of irish ancestry. They sung about fifty songs about the IRA. Plus, "On the road again," which was-inexplicably-sung about an hour and a half before they finished.

I left before they were done, so theoretically, they could still be singing as we speak. They began about an hour after they were supposed to begin, yet I still left before they finished.

I think the lesson here is that no matter how kick-ass a concert is, you still get tired of music after a while, unless you're really into music. In that case, this doesn't apply.

jayson
06-27-2009, 05:16 AM
I think the lesson here is that no matter how kick-ass a concert is, you still get tired of music after a while, unless you're really into music. In that case, this doesn't apply.

This has yet to happen to me and hopefully, it never will. :D

Brice
06-27-2009, 05:20 AM
I too have never tired of music. In fact it is almost mandatory that there be music playing.

jayson
06-27-2009, 05:36 AM
it's always playing for me, even if just in my head, but more often than not, it's actually playing wherever i am.

also, i like that brice got in post #420. it just seems right. :cool:

Brice
06-27-2009, 05:37 AM
I like that too...and I like that you noticed. :)

flaggwalkstheline
06-27-2009, 05:50 AM

This has yet to happen to me and hopefully, it never will. :D

me neither
I'm a raging music addict and I dont plan on any sort of recovery, my headphones are constantly in or my boombox is playing

Seymour_Glass
06-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Me too. I can't even imagine what life would be like if I didn't have all the music I listen to.:scared:

Frunobulax
06-27-2009, 07:08 PM
I mainline bits and speedball notes and grooves. I think that as the largest addict (maybe next to Jayson), "Without music, life is a mistake." That sums them up.

jayson
06-27-2009, 07:56 PM
I mainline bits and speedball notes and grooves.

that my friend, is fucking poetic and absolutely genius at that. :D

co-workers, family, and friends have all referred to my iPod as "jayson's life support system." when it's off, there's still always music playing in my head, and with my memory it's usually note for note as it would be if i had the real thing on. i truly believe when the music in my head stops, i will die.

Jean
07-09-2009, 06:00 AM
everybody who loves Dylan (or at least is aware of his existence) should watch this NOW:

YouTube - Hugh Laurie's Bob Dylan Impression - A bit of Fry & Laurie - BBC comedy song

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

jayson
07-09-2009, 06:08 AM
excellent find mr bear

:clap:

Frunobulax
07-09-2009, 09:23 AM
A Bit of Fry and Laurie was an remains a great show. So happy that this has been posted.

Seymour_Glass
07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
That was rather funny.

jayson
07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
it was and aside from his enormous comedic and dramatic skills, laurie also happens to be a very talented musician. some of the best moments on house have come when they've allowed him to play piano or guitar. he often impresses the hell out of me with how good he really is. he could easily have gone that route with his career and been very successful.

Frunobulax
07-09-2009, 10:05 AM
He also played piano and sang quite a bit on Jeeves and Wooster.

Seymour_Glass
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM
He also looks like my eighth grade English teacher.

jayson
07-09-2009, 11:20 AM
the piano playing is always brilliant, but the one that really got my attention was the house that ended with him at home playing donovan's "season of the witch" on that gold les paul he's got. he is a kick ass guitar player.

turtlex
07-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow. Scarey stuff. Hopefully, all will turn out fine. Sending :goodmind:

Beastie Boy Adam Yauch has 'very treatable' cancer

NEW YORK – In an upbeat video, Beastie Boy Adam "MCA" Yauch announced via the group's Web site that he has a "very treatable" cancerous tumor in his salivary gland and a nearby lymph node.

As a result, the band announced Monday it is canceling its tour dates and postponing the release of their upcoming album, "Hot Sauce Committee Part 1."

"About two months ago I started feeling a little lump in my throat," Yauch, seated next to fellow Beastie Boy Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz, said in his video message on the site. "I started think I should talk to my doctor ... and he sent me to a specialist, and they did tests, and I actually have a form of cancer."

Yauch, 43, said he will likely undergo surgery next week, followed up by some form of radiation.

"The good news is that they did scans of my whole body and it's only localized this one place, and it's not in a place that effects my voice, so that's nice," he said with a laugh. "This is something that's very treatable in most cases, they're able to completely get rid of it and people don't have continuing problems with it and it's not anywhere else in my body."

Yauch is not only part of the pioneering rap trio, but has also emerged as a film producer.

sarajean
07-20-2009, 11:57 AM
yeah, he seemed rather upbeat in the video.

Ruthful
07-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Okay, so tonight I headed over to the Prospect Park band shell in order to see Buckwheat Zydeco, which was in fine form, by the way. The only slightly offbeat moment was when the band was going through one of those traditional back-and-forths with the audience, and the guitarist asked, unprompted, HOW ARE YOU TONIGHT, BROOKLYN?!

So far so good, right? That's what I thought, until he continued.

HOW WE DOING TONIGHT, BUSHWICK?!

Now, there are five or six distinct neighborhoods in my borough that overlap with Prospect Park, and I'm afraid that Bushwick is not one of them.

Why do bands on tour have to be so ambitious, re: audience interaction?

:panic:

Seymour_Glass
08-15-2009, 08:59 PM
hey, i'm just dro0ing in to say that Minus the Bear has taken over my iPod. That is all.

cody44
08-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Since we have a whole thread dedicated to the band Radiohead, I figured why not make one for MUSE. Since they have a new album (The Resistance) dropping this September, I figured us MUSE fans would want to have a spot to talk about it.

Are their any other Muse fans out there?

I have to say, the new single Uprising has a different yet similar sound. I really enjoy it.

For your enjoyment:

YouTube - Muse - Map Of The Problematique (HAARP Wembley 2007)

cody44
08-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah, and the new single for those who haven't heard it yet.

YouTube - Muse - Uprising (Full Song)

flaggwalkstheline
08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I ADORE Muse, cant wait for their new album

Ruthful
08-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Does anyone think it's kind of weird that Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney-and George Harrison's widow, I guess-are all buddy-buddy now that they're collaborating on the Rock Band/Guitar Hero for The Beatles?

For those of you who are curious, here's a great NYT Magazine article about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/magazine/16beatles-t.html

cody44
09-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Has anyone heard it yet? I would love to hear some opinions. I have heard it twice through and I thoroughly enjoy it, and I think that the theme is very well done, very 1984-esq. It even had a few references to the book, United States of Eurasia, and the though police.

Well, better give it another go around before I make my final judgement.

sarah
09-15-2009, 06:35 PM
I got turned onto MUSE when I heard their song on guitar hero a year or so ago. :lol: love them. Actually, I have my pandora station set to them now. :D

IWasSentWest
09-15-2009, 08:43 PM
love muse. hoping there new album really hits the old spots

flaggwalkstheline
09-15-2009, 09:19 PM
arg
I cant get it for a few weeks!

Spencer
09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I just heard about them on Glenn Beck this morning, (for my liberal friends, my apologies, Beck loves the band :lol: ), he played "The United States of Eurasia". I liked it, and will be sure to check out more!

Spencer
09-18-2009, 05:14 AM
I picked it up yesterday, I've heard everything except the symphony at the end. I love it so far, great stuff!

flaggwalkstheline
09-18-2009, 06:42 AM
I just heard about them on Glenn Beck this morning, (for my liberal friends, my apologies, Beck loves the band :lol: ), he played "The United States of Eurasia". I liked it, and will be sure to check out more!

see thats what makes muse so cool, their music and mathew bellamy's conspiracy theories have the power to unite people of all political ideologies:pirate:

Ka-mai
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Anyone check out the new Third Eye Blind album?

I think it's pretty good, but not great. I don't think their sound has evolved very much since they started, which is kind of a downer. Also they still have a few unreleased songs like Persephone (Matt's favorite) which they could have fleshed this out with, and they just didn't bother.

Seymour_Glass
10-14-2009, 02:55 PM
SO, I might be playing bass/singing in a band with some guys I know. The dude who asked me is really f*in good at guitar, so I don't have to go all crazy. I'm effin excite.

jayson
10-14-2009, 03:11 PM
SO, I might be playing bass/singing in a band with some guys I know. The dude who asked me is really f*in good at guitar, so I don't have to go all crazy. I'm effin excite.

that's fantastic seymour. good for you!

:clap:

sarajean
10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
SO, I might be playing bass/singing in a band with some guys I know. The dude who asked me is really f*in good at guitar, so I don't have to go all crazy. I'm effin excited.

:rock:

Seymour_Glass
10-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanx guys. We're meeting up Saturday next week, giving me enough time to dust off that bass that I've kinda let fall to the wayside whilst pursuing my guitar hero dreams.

RoseMadder
10-14-2009, 05:52 PM
:cool: So I was told by my closest friend that I have the playlist of a scizophrenic person skipping meds..and I took that as a compliment. See what had happened was we were playing cards and had my media player on shuffle and it went from James Taylor to Disturbed, then Jimi Hendrix to Kd lang, Al Green to system of a down and he said it felt like I just molested his ears with my music. So musically I am open to almost everything, almost. Country music I just can't, there are so many things to feel sad about, why add to it. ironically as I type I am listening to helpless by CSNY, mostly Y really..:D But that doesn't depress me. Odd.:nana:

flaggwalkstheline
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
everybody who loves Dylan (or at least is aware of his existence) should watch this NOW:

YouTube - Hugh Laurie's Bob Dylan Impression - A bit of Fry & Laurie - BBC comedy song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8chs2ncYIw&feature=fvst)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

sounds more like neil young to me:P

Seymour_Glass
10-26-2009, 03:13 PM
There's a new backstreet boys album!!!!!!!:onfire:And the video for the single...HAS VAMPIRES!!!!!!!!:onfire:

flaggwalkstheline
10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
There's a new backstreet boys album!!!!!!!:onfire:And the video for the single...HAS VAMPIRES!!!!!!!!:onfire:

TWILIIIIIIGHT:pullhair::panic: *shakes fist*

ola
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM

Sad. I mean...OMFG!! :excited:

Wait a sec. Where's Joey?!?

Seymour_Glass
10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Kevin (ahem) left the group after their 2005 album, Never Gone.

And I know way too much about this shit.

flaggwalkstheline
10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
are they vampires now? cause that'd be way cool

backstreets dead! alright!

Seymour_Glass
10-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Since it's more r'n'bish than their usual stuff, teh intarwebz and I have decided to call the new album "Backstreet Boyz II Men"

Frunobulax
10-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Going to see Brainoil and Cannabis Corpse tonight! Sludge metal FTW. Dirty Projectors in SF on Sunday!!! Lucky Dragons on the 8th!!!! What a good next 9 days for music.

Seymour_Glass
10-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Also, Fruno's post reminded me of something important I'd like to emphasize: I don't actually like the backstreet boys.:ninja:

ola
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Also, Fruno's post reminded me of something important I'd like to emphasize: I don't actually like the backstreet boys.:ninja:

Sure..

Speaking of shows, I get to see Mum for free on Thursday, hooray! Last time I saw them I could barely hear them, so I'm hoping there will be better sound this time.

Seymour_Glass
10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ME!!!!:cry::cry:

But I'm glad everybody's going to all these cool shows.

ola
10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
How is the band going?

Seymour_Glass
10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
You mean the one that's had a total of one practice and zero drummers?

It's aight. No name, a little bit of a song.

ola
10-30-2009, 06:19 PM
You mean the one that's had a total of one practice and zero drummers?

It's aight. No name, a little bit of a song.

If there's one thing that seems impossible to find when you're looking, it's a good drummer. Anyone in Seattle that's really good seems to be in 5 bands at once. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Seymour_Glass
11-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I've fallen in love with Joy Division, and it's improving my bassery.

jayson
11-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I've fallen in love with Joy Division, and it's improving my bassery.

both parts of this make me happy :)

Míchéal
11-18-2009, 05:11 AM
YouTube- The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition [JMFHQ109]

Whatcha think of this?

razz
11-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Good fucking god, it's like every song I ever heard but never knew the artist is by the Beatles! ♥

Brice
11-19-2009, 02:31 AM
:D

razz
11-21-2009, 07:02 AM
I be trying to expand my musical tastes, starting with the Beatles.
I don't know any more of their songs though, I need suggestions ._.

flaggwalkstheline
11-21-2009, 08:14 AM
this
right here:

YouTube- The Beatles - Happiness is a warm gun (HQ)

my favorite beatles song
forget I wanna hold you're hand or all you need is love I'll take the white album over any of their other music:onfire:

Seymour_Glass
11-21-2009, 08:16 AM
White Album = :wub:

jayson
11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
the beatles (aka the white album) is a fantastic collection of their songs from the period and certainly hints at what the three would be as songwriters post-beatles.

but if we're recommending second-half-of-career beatles' album one at a time to a relative newcomer, i think it better to take the natural chronology from rubber soul to revolver to show how they moved from pop songs about boys & girls to the kinds of songs that populate these two albums and how they incorporated more and more experimentation into the mix (literally into the mix.)

after those two, the rest makes more sense. it is not necessary to listen to the rest in chronological order (especially as i find sgt. pepper overrated) but rubber soul and revolver set such context for the rest. after that, then go for abbey road and let it be and the "white album"

oh and don't discount the pre-1965 beatles catalog either. while the songs may often be formulaic and the lyrics somewhat trite, that doesn't preclude them from being great pop songs and a lot of fun to play. sometimes the greatness of a song isn't clear to me until i try to learn to play it and break it down to its component parts to rearrange it myself. you'd be surprised sometimes at what you may have overlooked.

that and george's guitar tone alone make the early stuff more than worthwhile.

Jon
11-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Paul is dead...miss him.

jayson
11-21-2009, 01:50 PM
**bumping**

anyone still talking 'bout this or can we merge it into the general music discussion at this point?

eta: and that's that. the muse thread has been merged into general music.

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 02:38 PM
I gotta say, I have always loved The Who as a band. Who's Next and Tommy are classic "Deserted Island" albums (ala "Lost" lol) and they just keep coming!!! I used to think that if there was nuclear war, only roaches and Kieth Richards would survive, but now I think that Townsend & Daltrey may survive as well.

I saw them live on their 1st farewell in I belive it was '86 in Shea Stadium (of course quite a few times b4 that) and then again at MSG for "Quadraphenia" with Billy Idol, Phil Collins and Gary Glitter playing characters. However, they have been on tour numerous times since then and released 3 or 4 albums (solo & together) Certainly Rocks' "Royalty".

The body of work? need I discuss it? Thankfully, they never died before they got old (and just maybe they never did get old!)

Discuss?

Míchéal
12-01-2009, 02:08 AM
One of our own (looking magnificent) :
YouTube- Lisa Hannigan - Pistachio

Brice
12-01-2009, 05:19 AM
With rare exception you should enjoy pretty much ANY Beatles song, razz. :D

turtlex
12-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Say, did anyone else catch the 25th Anniversary Concert for the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame? It was broadcast on Sunday on HBO.

Overall, I thought it was great - some exceptions ( :ahem:bono shut-up: ) but it was a pretty good concert.

Springsteen singing with Darlene Love was my highlight, sincerely. And I thought Metallica and Ozzy was pretty fun as well.

Actually, Springsteen's whole set was super for me. Tommy Morello ... shite! Super cool. He was great. Never would have pictured him with Bruce, but it worked.

Brice
12-01-2009, 05:35 AM
I didn't watch, but I'm watching Ozzy and Metallica now. :thumbsup:

turtlex
12-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Brice - What was so cool about Metallica/Ozzy was that those big old Metallica guys, so tough and serious ... but James looked like he was in heaven just singing with Ozzy, like a little kid with his idol there on stage!

The whole concert was 4 hours 10 minutes.

Brice
12-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Yeah, James looks like a kid on Christmas morning. :lol:

jayson
12-02-2009, 12:11 PM
i am going to merge this thread on the who into the general music thread, but i will give some thoughts on the who first

i've always loved townsend, entwhistle and especially moon. daltrey i kind of find superfluous to the whole thing, but then again, my favourite who moments are the instrumental ones.

my friends and i used to debate who the more unnecessary element to their band was, daltrey or plant, but plant wrote a good percentage of the lyrics, whereas townsend wrote most of the who's lyrics and, in my opinion, did just fine with the bits he sang.

nobody can swing a microphone quite like daltrey though so i guess he has that going for him. :rolleyes:

there's no doubt though that in their prime, few bands had the power the who did.

Merlin1958
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
"Hope I die before I get old".

Tommy can you hear me?.....................

B4 The White Album (which is a classic no doubt) you gotta see the foreshadowing of " Sgt. Peppers"

:clap::clap::clap:

flaggwalkstheline
12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
"Tommy can you hear me?.....................

:clap::clap::clap:

Tommy the movie is one of my absolute favorite films

its soooo twisted

turtlex
12-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Stolen From Us.
Always Remembered.
Never Forgotten.
Forever Loved.
John Lennon : 10/09/1940 - 12/08/1980

On This, The Anniversary Of His Death - I Celebrate His Life.

http://www.johnlennon.com/html/images/photo_04.jpghttp://www.johnlennon.com/html/images/photo_01.jpg
http://www.johnlennon.com/html/images/photo_03.jpghttp://www.johnlennon.com/html/images/left_03.jpg

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm so sad and so happy

turtlex
12-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Yeah. This is always a rough day for me. As selfish as it is, I think often about how much music was stolen from us all. What could have and should have been. Sucks.

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:31 AM
I think we should celebrate Lennon's life by beating Mark David Chapman with broomsticks while singing Let It Be. :grouphug:

turtlex
12-08-2009, 04:33 AM
I think we should celebrate Lennon's life by beating Mark David Chapman with broomsticks while singing Let It Be. :grouphug:

I'm pretty sure I could find a piano somewhere... will that do?

Sincerely, what a loss.

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:36 AM
yes

We can play the piano by hitting the keys with his face. :dance:

turtlex
12-08-2009, 04:37 AM
YouTube- John Lennon stand by me

Seymour_Glass
12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
So, who wants to talk about the upcoming Spoon album?:onfire:

Frunobulax
12-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Well, all I know is I look forward to owning it the day it comes out. The new single is pretty damn good, and despite Got Nuffin's appearance on the album (a song I thought was EP-only fodder for Spoon) I'm genuinely excited about Transference.

Seymour_Glass
12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Me too, man. me too.:cool: