PDA

View Full Version : Stand is on Sci-Fi this morning(Nov. 24)

Sai Joshua
11-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Just wanted everyone to know that "The Stand" is on this morning. Just came on (10 am eastern). Didn't see anything about it on here, may have missed it.

Matt
11-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks Sai, I might have to switch over to this. :nana:

Daghain
11-24-2007, 03:24 PM
I set it on my DVR. Thanks for the heads up!

Ruthful
11-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I caught the last 35-40 minutes when I was visiting my grandma up in Staten Island.

Observations:

1. Trashcan Man is just as awesome as I remember him. Best casting of the film.

2. Miguel Ferrer makes the ultimate villain.

3. Still holds up after all these years-even the somewhat corny aspects of the film.

I discussed it with my uncle-even went so far as to explain some of the Dark Tower cosmology involved in the plot-who has a copy of The Stand at home, which he's never read!

Daghain
11-24-2007, 07:04 PM
I think I'm going to watch this tomorrow. I still haven't seen it. :panic:

Ruthful
11-24-2007, 07:17 PM
They ran it last month-or earlier this month, I forget-as well.

They seem to run these things on a loop when they broadcast them on cable, so chances are that you'll have another chance to see it if you haven't recorded it yet.

CPU
11-26-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm glad I picked up the DVD edition a long time ago. I just watched it last weekend. I bet I've watched the mini-series at least 6 times, and I've read the book almost that many! :lol:

This weekend I watched Storm of the Century. :P

Odetta
11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I really liked that one... I know not everybody did.

Ruthful
11-26-2007, 10:18 AM
The Stand is still one of my favorite film adaptations of a King work.

I watched part of The Langoliers a few months ago and it wasn't quite as boring as I remember it, but I couldn't watch The Storm of the Century.

Having read the screenplay and watched the TV movie I have to say that it's one of his most forgettable works of fiction.

Steve
11-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Really? I loved Storm of the Century. The Langoliers adaptation sucked, IMO.

Matt
11-26-2007, 12:10 PM
:lol:

I felt that way about The Stand. It seemed to lack...substance to me.

<shrug>

Ruthful
11-26-2007, 12:22 PM
The only truly outstanding TV movie that's been adapted by King is The Stand, IMO.

The Langoliers might not be as bad as I had adjudged it initially, but I still wouldn't want to sit through a marathon screening of it. My main problem with the movie was the performance of Bronson Pinchot. He was completely miscast in that role, and it pained me to see such a great actor fail so publicly, and he was one of the best actors in that movie, to boot!

Everything else, e.g. the remake of The Shining, The Diary of Edwina Druze-or whatever it was called-Storm of The Century. I didn't have the opportunity to watch Desperation, but something tells me I didn't miss much. At least, if history is any guide.

Matt
11-26-2007, 01:20 PM
You are correct on Desperation <_<

:lol: