PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #3: The Running Man (1982)

Jean
01-19-2012, 08:59 AM
The Running Man, 1982
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/The_Running_Man_face.jpg

Please vote for The Running Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Running_Man) using the following scale:

5: I loved it
4: It was good
3: Average
2: Only so-so
1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

divemaster
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
I gave it a 4. A fun, fast read. Plus I like post-apocalyptic and distopian fiction, and The Running Man is a pretty good example of the latter. The ending was sort of abrupt but all in all I enjoyed it.

It seems like almost all my votes so far have been 4s and 5s (Carrie notwithstanding). I think that is a testament to King's early writing. When we get to his drug-induced days, I'll have a few 1s and 2s (C'mon Tommyknockers--where are you? I want to vote 1 on something soon!)

Jean
01-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I am totally planning to vote 5 on Tommyknockers

I am also totally planning to drag my ass to that bookcase, unbury my copy of The Running Man and finally get around to reading those five final pages. Then I can vote (although I don't think the final pages will lift my vote above the 2 I fully intend to give it now)

Shannon
01-20-2012, 01:02 AM
I read it a few years ago ... But I can't really remember anything about it. When I think I remember something, I then think, "No, that's from the Schwarzenegger movie ..." So ... I',m sure it was fun to read, but unmemorable to me is a 3! Next!

Iwritecode
01-20-2012, 08:00 AM
I'll give a 4. I just wish they had never made that horrible movie with the same name. It's almost nothing like the book.

candy
01-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I loved this book, I have not read it for years though, so i have had to base my vote on my 16 year old self.

I read and then re-read in the space of a day.

And then the movie happened (as iwritecode says - what a bag of crap, wish they had called it something else as it was nothing like the book)

blavigne
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
good story, I gave it a 4
on a note not related to this thread, I think this was one of the worst King movie adaptations ever

Patrick
01-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Back when I read this story, I loved it. I think I was heavily influenced by my surprise and delight that it was roughly a million times better than the movie.

This is my second favorite Bachman book behind THE LONG WALK.

Jean
01-27-2012, 10:52 PM
last chance to vote! the poll is closing!

Garrell
01-28-2012, 12:08 AM
I cry as I feel the movie has really influenced peeps to a wonderful story. Actually the movie wasn't terrible even though it was different, it was a fun rollercoaster ride, a break from reality, that is what some movies should do.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-29-2012, 11:47 PM
I confess, the movie probably influenced my vote. It has been so long since I read this one that I remember the movie much better than I do the book. I guess this is one that I really need to reread.

mae
01-30-2012, 07:01 AM
The poll has closed. The Running Man has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.964285714 or 79.29%, placing 4th in this bracket. It will not be moving on to Round 2.