PDA

View Full Version : The Life on Mars Re-Watch: who's up for it?

DoctorDodge
11-03-2011, 03:22 AM
It's only been a few months (at most) since our last viewing, but me, Jean and alkanto are all itching for a re-watch of Life on Mars in January. The big question is this: anyone else keen to check it out? I know we've got the LoM/Ashes to Ashes thread, but I wanted to keep this thread spoiler-free for new guys, and to make it a little more formal and organised. (Because I am obsessed when it comes to planning these things for my favourite shows.)

So, here's a few details:
Suggested start date: January 9th
Members interested so far: DoctorDodge, Jean, alkanto, ShannonsMovies, Merlin1958, Hannah
(Apologies if I've missed anyone out, but that's one of the reasons I'm setting up this thread, so I know for sure how many members we have on board)
Number of eps: 8 per series, 16 in total
Version: UK/Original/2006 (Just to be clear that we'll all be discussing the same version and there's no confusion later on!)

I know it's a little early, but I'm not sure how easy to find this series might be over in the US and anywhere else really, so I'm thinking the extra length of time might help in locating the eps. So, anyone interested?

Jean
11-03-2011, 03:49 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

DoctorDodge
11-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Thought you'd appreciate it, bears! January 9th should be the week I'm heading off to America, if all goes to plan, but that's no bad thing, especially since Pond's recently got herself a set of the series on dvd, so I hope I'll be starting the re-watch round hers, fingers crossed! :D

alkanto
11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Can't wait! :D

Jean
11-03-2011, 09:33 AM
DD - did you post anywhere why you are going to America, what are you going to do there etc? if you did, please link me; if you didn't, please do, in the Castle or IYMRN thread. Bears want to know.

pathoftheturtle
11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm glad you are bringing it up early. Not right atm, but by January I should be up for it. It'll be my first time. Watched the American remake, but this sounds to be cooler. thx.

DoctorDodge
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Awesome! Great to have another fresh pair of eyes on board. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Shannon
11-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Yay! I'm official! :)

Jean
11-10-2011, 10:44 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_friendly.gif

Brice
11-11-2011, 04:03 AM
I'm not committing, but maybe i can.

DoctorDodge
11-11-2011, 04:26 AM
It would be awesome to have you on board Brice, if it's possible. This is a very different show to both Doctor Who and Lost, but I'm absolutely sure you will enjoy it. (And not just because it's got "The Master" John Simm in the lead role! :lol:) If you do join us, I absolutely promise I will finally watch one of Argento's movies (which I have been putting off due to the high level of gore I've heard from his movies, even if they are done with a real sense of style, and not in the Hollywood way but in an artistic way, from what I caught of the rat scene in Inferno).

Yay! I'm official! :)

Hell yeah, Shannon! I'm always eager for new viewers on board. It's like watching it for the first time all over again.

DoctorDodge
11-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Dang, double post!

DoctorDodge
11-14-2011, 03:14 AM
Ok, so, one thing that still needs to be worked out is the schedule: we've kinda decided on a date, the 9th of January, although this can be changed if it's too problematic for some, but how many eps should it be per week? Should it even be a week, and instead go for a fortnight, instead? At the moment, I'm thinking 2 eps a week, although, considering each ep is a full hour long, (BBC, remember, so that means no room for commercial breaks), even that could be adjusted to 1 ep a week, if it was really difficult for people to find time to watch.

I suspect even that would be difficult for me and bears, as 1 ep is never quite enough, really. It certainly was difficult to cope with when I watched it when it was broadcast! It's still 2 months away though, so no need to rush any plans. Discussing it just helps me cope a little bit more with the waiting! :D

alkanto
11-14-2011, 06:04 AM
I was thinking 1 ep a week is fine. And, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we have to stop watching....we just have to save the discussion until other people catch up! :D

DoctorDodge
11-14-2011, 06:09 AM
I was thinking 1 ep a week is fine. And, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we have to stop watching....we just have to save the discussion until other people catch up! :D

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc1s98l28S1qed69io1_500.gif

Very true! And besides, it's not like I haven't watched every ep so many times that I almost know every line off by heart! :D

Jean
11-14-2011, 06:39 AM
one a week is way too slow. That's how people lose interest. It should be at least 3 a week.

DoctorDodge
11-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Well, it all depends on how many eps the new viewers can watch per week. People couldn't quite keep up with Lost, and that was supposed to be 3 eps a week. Which is roughly about the same length as 2 eps of Life on Mars.

I know I can handle 3 solid hours of Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt epicness per week, and I'm guessing you can bears, and possibly Pond, too, but what about anyone else? Not all of us watch a maximum of 3 different programmes a week, after all. (Seriously, I think the only shows I currently watch on tv atm are Misfits and the occasional repeat of The Big Bang Theory. That's all I watch on tv atm.)

And besides: 3 eps a week, as much as I would love it, would have a downside: it would all be over much too quickly. Like a fine cigar (or a jammy dodger, in my case), it should be savoured.

Unless you're Gene Hunt, of course, in which case, you smoke 10 cigarettes before breakfast, which would include cereal and whiskey. Without the cereal.

DoctorDodge
11-28-2011, 04:05 AM
BUMP! (To keep it fresh in people's minds, and of course, to continue getting people to sign up for the (re)watch of one of the greatest shows ever!)

Jean
11-28-2011, 04:14 AM
yes, people and animals, please join in!

alkanto
11-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Did we ever figure out how many eps per week would be suitable? I know 1 is far too few, but 3? We could always do 2...that's a solid 2 hours of cinematic brilliance per week, and it's sure hard to complain about that :)

Not long now, Bears and James and everyone else who will be discovering the brilliance for the first time! Just a little over a month left :excited:so I should have plenty of time between now and then to get in another rewatch, right? :lol:

DoctorDodge
12-01-2011, 04:47 AM
I'd say 2 eps a week would be looking the most likely. Especially if people are getting the dvds: since there's only 2 eps per disc anyway, anyone watching the series through Netflix or Lovefilm shouldn't have too much of a problem watching the eps over a couple of days and then wait for more eps to arrive in the post.

So, to keep it updated:
Start date: January 9th
Members interested so far: DoctorDodge, Jean, alkanto, ShannonsMovies, Merlin1958, Hannah, pathoftheturtle, Brice (possibly), Darkthoughts, feverishparade, Ricky,
Number of eps: 8 per series, 16 in total
Version: UK/Original/2006
Number of eps per week: 2 (only suggested number to watch for now. Always open to suggestions.)

DoctorDodge
12-28-2011, 08:34 AM
So, with less than two weeks to go until the watch begins, thought I'd just make a few points about the show that people should keep in mind before watching it:
Subtitles If you don't live in the UK and don't watch that many UK shows, I'd strongly suggest making sure that the copy of the eps you've got has optional subtitles, at least. They won't be needed all the time, but the northern accent used in the show really is thick, at times. I'd say they're as strong as some of the southern accents used in Deadwood. Definitely something to keep in mind, I think.
Give it ten minutes If you have no clue what the show is about, the first ten minutes might come across as boring, at first. Stick with it past those first few minutes, though, and hopefully you'll find it gets a lot more interesting. Don't worry. You'll know when it starts getting interesting when you see it.

And, most important of all: Be sure you're watching the good version I cannot stress this enough (especially since someone else heard about how much I loved the show and started watching the remake by mistake). If the version you're watching is set in New York and stars Kietel, ignore that. It's the 2006 UK version starring John Simm and Philip Glenister you'll be after.

Ok, hopefully, that's all you need. I was considering making a teaser trailer based on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo teaser trailer, but then decided against it. (For anyone wondering why, here's a trailer I caught for the show when it was first shown in the UK (first episode spoilers for anyone who wants to be left in the dark about what it's about, btw):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhffuKpgVyM

Gotta say guys, really looking forward to the discussion. For the simple fact that with new discussion, it's a way for fans like me, Jean and Pond of getting something close to that "first time" feeling, as well as picking up on things we might've missed the first time.

fernandito
12-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the .. precap (?), James ! Let's do this thang, do this thang.

Shannon
12-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Add one more (non)member to the list: Amber will be watching it with me. :) Very excited

DoctorDodge
12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Excellent! You'll love it! (So long as you do have subtitles, I do remember your reaction to Withnail & I, after all. You thought the accents were bad in that, I've gotta warn ya that LoM might be even worse, at times! :lol:)

Jean
12-28-2011, 09:26 AM
bears endorse everything DD said in post #22

alkanto
12-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Excellent! You'll love it! (So long as you do have subtitles, I do remember your reaction to Withnail & I, after all. You thought the accents were bad in that, I've gotta warn ya that LoM might be even worse, at times! :lol:)

I can't stress this point enough, about not being afraid to use subtitles. I am good with accents - admittedly, better than most. But there were times yet in this show where I was unsure of what Gene Hunt actually said. And he's got the best lines, usually, so it'd be a real shame to miss even a single word!

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Ok, with just a few days to go, this is really the last reminder to everyone to have their dvds ready or make sure their links to watch it online are reliable! Myself, I've been using the time to look up a few key items I should've bought ages ago, including a guide to the making of the first series of the show, a soundtrack cd (and I really don't know why I didn't buy this sooner, tbh), and Gene Hunt's Rules of Modern Policing (1973 edition). That last one has a few laughs! :lol: I hope all you new viewers enjoy the show, anyway. Definitely really eager for new discussion from new fans of the show.

Meanwhile, for those who are re-watching the show (such as Pond and bears), I've started working on an in-depth analysis of the first ep from memory. (Because yes, I really have watched the show enough times to do that.) I'll type up what I can, then watch the show with Pond in America for any more thoughts and of course, to be amazed by all over again, then post a link first day of the re-watch.

Jean
01-05-2012, 04:05 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_thrilled.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_thrilled.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_thrilled.gif

Ricky
01-05-2012, 08:55 AM
When is this starting again?

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Monday January 9th.

Ricky
01-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks!

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 09:10 AM
No worries!

And oh my god...I just remembered that the series started in January 2006, so I looked up when it specifically started.

Monday 9th January 2006. Remember, this is sheer fucking coincidence, people. We only decided on this date because it was a nice convenient date for Jennifer. Fuck, that's weird!

Jean
01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
there are no coincidences

alkanto
01-05-2012, 09:13 AM
No worries!

And oh my god...I just remembered that the series started in January 2006, so I looked up when it specifically started.

Monday 9th January 2006. Remember, this is sheer fucking coincidence, people. We only decided on this date because it was a nice convenient date for Jennifer. Fuck, that's weird!

Holy crap! That's amazing....what Jean said. This is so cool.... :D

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 09:19 AM
I know! I just can't believe it's taken me this long to realise that. Arranging a watch of the show not just on the same date but the same weekday...wow. That's just...wow.

there are no coincidences

Oh yeah, I'm definitely inclined to believe that now.

For a better idea of my reaction to this, see my sig!

alkanto
01-05-2012, 09:25 AM
and the only reason I picked this date it because it's when you were here in the States...not only a fated re-watch, but a fated visit?

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Indeedy-deedy! Great - now I'm even more excited for this to happen! :D

fernandito
01-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Dude, that's some LOST shit right there :lol:

"Don't mistake coincidence for fate, James."

http://bavatuesdays.com/files/2007/03/locke.jpg

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 09:42 AM
No joke, I was about to use the "This is destiny!" line, myself! :lol:

Shannon
01-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I know this needn't be said, but for all the rewatchers, please keep all spoilers, minor spoilers, things like "The next episode introduces one of my favorite characters", "Haha, just wait until ..." blah blah blah, please keep them at a minimum. And when I say minimum, I mean zero. Thanks. :)

I'm excited.

DoctorDodge
01-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Ok, will do! Having a spoiler free discussion until we all watch the eps was kinda why I set up this topic in the first place anyway, as the original Life on Mars topic is practically full of spoilers, but it is easy to go, "Oh, the next episode, that's an awesome one, as that has..." etc. But don't worry, Shannon: discussion will be kept on the episodes we're already watching only.

Glad to know you're excited! Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as me, Pond and bears did!

DoctorDodge
01-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Ok. It's the 9th January 2012 (one day after David Bowie's 65th birthday, I might add). Come on people: let's kick this discussion off!

EDIT: By the way, just for the record, I'm currently typing up an analysis of the first ep to the Life on Mars soundtrack, with analysis for the 2nd ep planned for tomorrow. Both eps can be discussed right away, of course.

Ricky
01-09-2012, 10:29 AM
DD (or anyone else that knows): are there any good LEGAL places where I can watch LOM online? Netflix doesn't have it on streaming.

DoctorDodge
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Well, I'm not sure if it's completely 100% legal, but this is definitely the best link I've found to view it online yet:
http://stagevu.com/video/anjamovtxhpv

Jean
01-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Ricky: if all else fails, contact bears directly

DoctorDodge
01-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Ok, so this is more for bears and Pond's enjoyment really - not that this directly refers to any spoilers, major or minor, from future eps, but they certainly love it as much as I do, so they're more likely to read, erm, more than a few thoughts on the first ep. This will probably be edited later for any additional revelations I'll have when I watch it again with Jennifer, but here's the analysis for the first episode, anyway.

http://doctordodge.blogspot.com/2012/01/life-on-mars-analysis-series-one.html

Jean
01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
awesome!! I will read and comment as soon as I can - have looked through it now, very good!

DoctorDodge
01-09-2012, 01:34 PM
:Bows before bears: Very glad to know, Jean. Looking forward to when you do have the time to read and comment on such a ridiculously long analysis for 60 minutes worth of awesomeness. (Although it definitely is very rewarding when a tv show offers so much for analysis, I must admit, especially when that show includes car chases and offensive insults!)

Shannon
01-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Life On Mars: Episode 1
Shannon 5/5
Amber 4/5

Shannon: VERY enjoyable first episode. I didn't use or need subtitles, thank you very much! :) DD, you mentioned that you found the first ten minutes boring. I didn't, not at all. I thought it was a little peculiar that Sam didn't really show any emotion when coming across his girlfriend's bloody shirt just chilling on a swingset, but I just attributed that to the character himself. The man who normally has it all together, the man who controls everything in his life. When something new happens, something unpredictable, he doesn't really know how to take it. We see that as he is in denial about going back to the past.

Lots of good stuff in this episode. A few things stand out though ...

1) Great job on being hit by the car. Didn't see that coming at all.
2) I really, really, really, really hope the last scene in the show isn't him waking up in some hospital or all in his mind in a "life flashes before your eyes" flashback before he dies. It'd be a cop-put. I want what is happening to be real, or else it holds no weight. We'll see.
3) There was a very strange camera shot in one of the police station scenes. It might mean something, it might not mean anything at all. As Sam is going over the psychological aspects of the suspect they are looking for, Annie is helping him out, and as she leaves, one of the cops turns around and watches her leave. The camera focuses on this for a little bit longer than it should, as if it seems important. Again, might not (probably doesn't, lol) mean anything, just something that my seasoned eyes caught.

A very good start to a show I know nothing about. I'm excited! :) When's the next episode?

Jean
01-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Shannon: VERY enjoyable first episode.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/poohbear.gif

Yes! It's neat and precise, just like all the rest of it. That's what I love about the directing: not a false note (except when it is needed... but it's a story for another day)

2) I really, really, really, really hope the last scene in the show isn't him waking up in some hospital or all in his mind in a "life flashes before your eyes" flashback before he dies. It'd be a cop-put.
I think I won't spoil anything if I say that there is going to be no cop-outs here, not ever. It is a relentless thing, copout-wise.

DoctorDodge
01-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Life On Mars: Episode 1
Shannon 5/5
Amber 4/5

Shannon: VERY enjoyable first episode. I didn't use or need subtitles, thank you very much! :) DD, you mentioned that you found the first ten minutes boring. I didn't, not at all. I thought it was a little peculiar that Sam didn't really show any emotion when coming across his girlfriend's bloody shirt just chilling on a swingset, but I just attributed that to the character himself. The man who normally has it all together, the man who controls everything in his life. When something new happens, something unpredictable, he doesn't really know how to take it. We see that as he is in denial about going back to the past.

Lots of good stuff in this episode. A few things stand out though ...

2) I really, really, really, really hope the last scene in the show isn't him waking up in some hospital or all in his mind in a "life flashes before your eyes" flashback before he dies. It'd be a cop-put. I want what is happening to be real, or else it holds no weight. We'll see.
3) There was a very strange camera shot in one of the police station scenes. It might mean something, it might not mean anything at all. As Sam is going over the psychological aspects of the suspect they are looking for, Annie is helping him out, and as she leaves, one of the cops turns around and watches her leave. The camera focuses on this for a little bit longer than it should, as if it seems important. Again, might not (probably doesn't, lol) mean anything, just something that my seasoned eyes caught.

A very good start to a show I know nothing about. I'm excited! :) When's the next episode?

Very glad you enjoyed it, Shannon! Agreed on how it fits Sam's character that he's trying to be emotionless until he essentially has a breakdown in his car. Also agreed at how well the car crash moment was set up: I knew what was coming the first time I watched it, and even I jumped out of my seat when it happened!

Discussion for the next ep can start whenever you're ready, since we're doing 2 eps a week. (Unfortunatly, I haven't found a link anywhere to view the 2nd ep online, so if anyone does need to watch it, the best thing is ask Jean, as he mentioned earlier.) Hope you continue enjoying the series as much as you enjoyed the first ep!

Shannon
01-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Episode 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5Q4MBW7U

I'm a member so I can download fast and stream without problems. But I think if you're not a member, it'll still let you do those things, just at a limited and slow rate.

DoctorDodge
01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Excellent. Word of warning, because you asked us not to make any mention of even minor spoilers: starting from the 2nd episode, there's a trailer for the next one shown right after the end credits. So, if you don't want anything spoiled, best to press Stop while the credits are rolling.

Shannon
01-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Oh yeah, unless I'm watching a television show week to week and I "JUST CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT WEEK!!!" then I always skip the sneak previews.

Jean
01-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Hey? Where is everybody else?..

Ricky
01-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Shannon: is it possible to post the link for episode 1? The one you posted for episode 2 worked fine. :)

Shannon
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Here are some links. Again, I have a membership to megaupload so I get unlimited use, faster streaming and faster downloads. As non-members you would be subjected to limited use (I can't remember the time but I think it's like an hour a day or so), slow and limited downloads, and I'm unsure if you can stream. But anyway, for what it's worth, here ya' go:

Life On Mars: Series 1

1.01 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4L7LZ9OZ
1.02 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5Q4MBW7U
1.03 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9UYQ4KW4
1.04 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AX0KMGBY
1.05 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2OPSXCIV
1.06 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BCR5JDT2
1.07 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LA0N6LTG
1.08 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U9X7HLYQ

Life On Mars: Series 2

2.01 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TBIXV2S9
2.02 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S1MROT1P
2.03 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6R6K9MIM
2.04 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KKR0GUZB
2.05 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J25DU4RU
2.06 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KHC8ZUJU
2.07 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YV0MA11M
2.08 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BSMDUDH5

Ricky
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks! Quality's a little low, but other than that it works perfectly.

Shannon
01-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, they're DVD rips. I only really download Blu-Ray rips for special effects-heavy shows like Spartacus (season three, almost here, yeeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!) and such.

Merlin1958
01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Guys, I made a sort of commitment to watch this with DD and I am sort of jazzed to check it out from the hype by him and others, but I'm sorta "Low Tech" The previous links provided required a lot of questionable DL's that even if secure I'm not sure what to do. Is there an easier link to watch the episodes? I want to be a part of this, I have heard so many positive things, but I am no PC wizard, as my user name may suggest.

Any help out there?

Help???????? LOL LOL

Shannon
01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
On any of the links I provided, do the following.

Click the link to go to the Megaupload page.
Click the big black "Regular Download" button. Two things will happen:

A) An ad pop-up for another webpage/ad will pop up, close it.
B) At the same a File Download pop-up that says "Do you want to open or save this file?" will pop up. Click Save.

Save it into a folder/area where you'll remember where it is. My Documents or something like that.

And that's it. Let it download and then watch it when you're done. It should work on your Windows Media Player, but if not I can find a patch for you to download so it will work. :) Any questions, let me know.

Jean
01-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Bil, remember the Golden Rule: if all else fails, contact bears.

DoctorDodge
01-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Here's the link to my analysis for the 2nd ep, btw:

http://doctordodge.blogspot.com/2012/01/life-on-mars-analysis-series-one_12.html

(Hope bears doesn't mind that I mentioned him by name in this one.)

Jean
01-12-2012, 01:00 PM
how do you mean, mind? bears are honored!

like last time, looked through it quickly and will read thouroughly as soon as come back from work tomorrow

: rubs paws in anticipation :

Merlin1958
01-12-2012, 05:09 PM
OK, I watched the first episode. To be honest, I think I need a few more episodes before I can form an opinion. The uncertain premise established in the pilot is promising, the music is A-1, but some of the acting and editing is a bit suspect IMHO. Nevertheless, I will plod on to Episode 2 and 3 and see where it goes. Fair enough?

Shannon
01-12-2012, 09:23 PM
That's fair, but I would venture to say that if you didn't care too much for the first episode, you might not like the rest ... But then again, I don't know.

Have you watched any British shows in the past?

DoctorDodge
01-12-2012, 09:33 PM
OK, I watched the first episode. To be honest, I think I need a few more episodes before I can form an opinion. The uncertain premise established in the pilot is promising, the music is A-1, but some of the acting and editing is a bit suspect IMHO. Nevertheless, I will plod on to Episode 2 and 3 and see where it goes. Fair enough?

Ok, although I'm a little suprised that you found the acting a little suspect, really. Then again, it depends on who you're referring to. John Simm blew me away from the first ep, I'll say that much. I honestly believe he's one of the best actors out there. Still, there's some aspects of it you liked, at least. Hopefully it'll grow on you after a couple more eps. If not, at least you tried it.

Jean
01-13-2012, 06:44 AM
I will be rewatching the first two eps right now

Will try to see how "some of the acting and editing is a bit suspect", as Bill said, because on the first watch I found it flawless, acting/directing/editing-wise.

Jean
01-13-2012, 07:15 AM
progressing through the first episode... just can't help sharing

"What use are feelings in this room?" (Sam to Maya; see DD's essay, part 1)

Manchester's Highway in the Sky: the neatest visual representations of traveling back in time that I know

Panoramic view: classic landscape.

Sam is walking towards his police station, with sunrays from behind him. Classic walk.

The new colleagues: classic group portrait.

Hunt's grunts and coughs from behind the partition: classic introduction.

"That's what she had on her": cheap necklace, nail polish, and crumbs dropping there from the sandwich Chris is eating. Classic stil-life.

I am relishing every single moment of this. "As soon as I walk out this door - poof, I'm gone!" No, she isn't, and never will be. She will always stick around, will always be there for him, and this simple truth is now going to be epigraph-ed by that little play with the door.

... shit, I can't believe it!! it is actually better on re-watch, just as DD said. I wouldn't have thought it was possible...

Brice, path, feverish, where are you?!! you don't know what you're missing!!!!!

DoctorDodge
01-13-2012, 08:54 AM
... shit, I can't believe it!! it is actually better on re-watch, just as DD said. I wouldn't have thought it was possible...

I know! It's just amazing how much detail and how many layers it all packs into one ep!

Brice, path, feverish, where are you?!! you don't know what you're missing!!!!!

Agreed with every word.

Jean
01-13-2012, 09:54 AM
now for ep 2

If I had to pick only one, that would be it. Perfection incarnate. Will watch it now, and then read your review... slowwwwly.

Shannon
01-13-2012, 10:04 AM
No time to watch episode two right now. Amber and I will watch it after the Unveiling. Staying out of here until then. Adios. :)

Jean
01-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Shit. WTF is the Unveiling and when does it come?

ETA: Never mind, I see the link in your sig

Jean
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Saline & "Won't you at least consider coming with me to Canterbury?" - such moments are real killers. It's incredible, the tact and precision with which they are done. It would be so easy to overdo it (and/or underdo it; both possible and very probable at the same time), but no: it's always right where it is needed, always this eery proportion of expected to unexpected, always neat, always making our grip on reality slip another notch.

ETA: "AD, as opposed to BC" - rofl!!! I had forgotten this one.

ETA: WOW!! what have I noticed! there is a split second of Hunt entering the pub with those other guys ("Nelson, deck of cards and a bottle of blended!") after Sam has already left, so he can't possibly see or hear it. They exist independently. I am not sure there is another such moment, unless I missed more of these.

DoctorDodge
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
ETA: WOW!! what have I noticed! there is a split second of Hunt entering the pub with those other guys ("Nelson, deck of cards and a bottle of blended!") after Sam has already left, so he can't possibly see or hear it. They exist independently. I am not sure there is another such moment, unless I missed more of these.

Holy shit, I never noticed that! If there are any other such moments within the series, they are incredibly small. Life on Mars is one of very, very few shows I have watched where everything we see and hear is almost completely seen and heard from the eyes and ears of one man. It would be interesting to find if any other such tiny moments crop up in the show.

Jean
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't know if I would have noticed this, hadn't I been attuned to this type of narrative by Polanski films. In most of them we are given only the perspective of one person; Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, Che?, The Tenant, Chinatown, Frantic, The Pianist, The Ghost Writer are thoroughly consistent in this respect.

I sure will watch out for more such moments in LoM! Thinking of it now, I don't think there are any - but, just like you, I didn't remember this one either.

Curioser and curioser...

DoctorDodge
01-13-2012, 12:05 PM
I just realised that myself with The Ghost and a recent rewatch of Chinatown, actually. It's something that's rare to see in film - it's even rarer to see in a television series, really.

I've been reading a companion book to the show, and the writers did say that it was a challenge to get to grips with. Traditionally, there would be important events that would happen on screen but to another character, whereas here, if the important event didn't happen to Sam, they had to find a way to make it work off screen. I think one such example is Annie and Leonard getting attacked - in a lot of other shows, it would probably have cut between Sam and Annie's perspectives so that we would actually see the attack happen. Instead, like Sam, we can only hear about it, which nicely ups the tension by leaving a lot to our imaginations.

Merlin1958
01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
I feel very bad for having this opinion for some reason. Maybe cause I respect you folks immensely, but I watched episode 2 and it was a bit better than the pilot, but I just don't see the level of detail and depth you all do. Feel like an idiot or something!! LOL I will persevere for a few more episodes. However, the "Hunt" character really turns me off. He is like a bad parody of a Captain in an Arnold Schwartzneger or Mel Gibson film. He really seems to be trying way to hard. Plus some of the plot devices are way too convenient, like Hunt showing up in the nick of time to punch out the bad guy. I mean, please!!!

I do love the premise to a degree and the soundtrack is awesome, but they just seem to be "acting" way to hard!!! The lead guy is pretty good though overall.

I'm really, really sorry folks, but like I said, I'm gonna see it through. Least I can do for you fine gentlemen. Maybe "Lost" f*cked me up for life? LOL LOL LOL

Ricky
01-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I think I'm going to wait for Netflix to send me the fist disc rather than watching them online. I'll give it 4 episodes before I decide to continue with it or throw it aside.

Jean
01-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Bill: is there a list of your favorite films and/or directors anywhere around here? I just want to try to understand why we see things so differently. I personally was bored to tears by Lost, and can't take any Arnie or Gibson (except the ones he directed, that is) film seriously.

DoctorDodge
01-14-2012, 07:42 AM
However, the "Hunt" character really turns me off. He is like a bad parody of a Captain in an Arnold Schwartzneger or Mel Gibson film. He really seems to be trying way to hard.

What, you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llLFbV97bs&feature=related

:lol: I kinda see what you're saying. The ironic thing is though is that, while he is similar to those kind of angry, shouting captains on paper, he's in no way by the book - essentially, that kind of relationship is reversed in this show. He's showing us when the rogue copper who is willing to do anything to get an arrest is actually the guy in charge.

As for Glenister's performance, it's done absolutely perfectly, imo. Perhaps it could be considerred exagerrated or over the top, but I think part of the appeal of Hunt is that he's very clear cut: neither the writers nor Glenister try to add in some complex moral ambiguity to his character, never a moment of "What if I'm doing the wrong thing?", moments that would be completely wrong for Hunt. Instead, he's again the opposite of Tyler in this aspect, the classic hero, and I think that's something a lot of people like about him.

And besides, it could've been a worse performance. For example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7Hr6CcPTg

*shudder*

Jean
01-14-2012, 08:00 AM
truth in art can't be born out of mere imitation of life. It takes exaggeration, grotesque, paradox, contradiction - in fact, that's what truth anywhere takes. Verisimilitude is only a conglomerate of half-assed half-truths; neither necessary nor sufficient. Doesn't hurt in some types of the so-called "realistic" art, but not in all of them.

Merlin1958
01-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Bill: is there a list of your favorite films and/or directors anywhere around here? I just want to try to understand why we see things so differently. I personally was bored to tears by Lost, and can't take any Arnie or Gibson (except the ones he directed, that is) film seriously.

No there isn't, but I could provide a snippet here if you like. However, first off Arnie and Gibson films are guilty pleasures of mindless violence and spectacle. I was comparing some of the characterizations in both pieces. For me, mood and setting have a lot to do with my choices. My Grandfather loved the old Dirty Harry and Bronson films and we enjoyed going to them together. So, the Gibson buddy films are somewhat nostalgic and just mindless fun. I enjoy serious stuff as well and have a weak spot for the well done sports themed movie like The Lou Gehrig Story, Field of Dreams and Remember the Titans. I enjoyed the mystery and intrigue of "Lost" until they totally pulled the "nothing up my sleeve" ending and screwed everyone who watched it for six years. It was a long con. IMHO Anyway. some of my all-time favorite films:

The Godfather I/II
Citizen Kane
Goodfella's
Good Will Hunting
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Usual Suspects
Boondock Saints
As Good as it gets
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
POTC (all installments)
Indiana Jones series
LOTR

As for TV, well Lost was great for a while until those to shitheads pulled the magic trick, but here goes most are on pay channels"

The Soprano's
Deadwood
Brotherhood
John in Cincinatti
Carnivale
Boston Legal
The Practice
Most versions of L&O
NYPD Blue (Rocked!!)
True Blood (is fun)
Fringe

I could go on, but maybe you see something there that tells ya something? LOM is cool, but I am more impressed with the Coma/not coma parts than their attempts at a "Cop show" make any sense? Like I said, due to my respect for you guys, I will persevere and give it all the chance I can. It is by no means "Bad", but I just wish I could see the greatness you folks seem to find in it.

Edit Forgot anything Tarantino!!! He's my Roman Polanski!!! FWIW I have never wanted more to really enjoy a show!!! I loved Fawlty Towers, Monty Python (TV and film) and watch Absolutely Fabulous with my wife!!

Of course I also watch American Idol with my daughter!! Krissy can sing!!!! LOL

BTW, did I mention yet that William Bender the Fourth is due in June? LOL

DoctorDodge
01-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Ok Bill, I don't know if you're gonna like Life on Mars more the longer you watch it, and I'm pretty sure that my thoughts on it won't change your mind. But if you really wanted to know why I think this show is so great, at least, enough to rival the best shows on your list, then here's an analysis copied and pasted from my blog for easy reference.

First episodes are always important. They help set the scene, establish the characters, give the audience an idea of what to expect over the coming weeks. Many will miss it, but come back to it later to see how it all began. With Life on Mars, as with many other shows, the first episode had to prove that this was going to be something special, something a little bit different from the rest.

Not that you’d guess that, if you watched the first ten minutes.

When we are introduced to Sam Tyler, his world is pretty much the same as the world of a ton of other cop shows these days: a fast edited and very quickly resolved chase scene, an interview with the subject that goes nowhere, discussion of forensics, all done to strict procedure, with Sam being the embodiment of all of it. His gut feeling is telling him that suspect Colin Raimes is either behind the attacks or knows something, but he refuses to do anything about it, or even let his DI (and girlfriend) Maya investigate him, due to procedure.

He comes across as so flat and one dimensional in these scenes – even when his girlfriend has clearly been kidnapped – that you’re left wondering if this series can hold your interest with such a bland main character. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that in any other cop show, Sam Tyler would definitely not be the main character. If the first ten minutes are anything to go by, then Sam Tyler is arguably closer to being the general dick in charge, the guy who’s not so much antagonistic to the usual main characters who aren’t afraid to occasionally bend the rules so much as the guy who always slows things down and makes things frustratingly difficult for our heros because it’s “against procedure”. The guy who would never be considered interesting enough to be given any kind of depth in favour of the real main character.

However, this changes in Sam Tyler’s case about ten minutes in, in two ways. The first is when we see the first sign of emotion from him, that he actually gives a shit about anything and not just another soulless boss in a suit: when he’s driving his car and crying about Maya. Actually, he does more than just cry: he has a fucking breakdown over it. He’s so used to not letting anything get to him at all that it takes the disappearance of his girlfriend to break down that wall, and boy, does that wall break down completely. In this moment, a character who would normally be the least interesting in the audience’s eyes in most cop shows is suddenly humanised and earns our sympathy, a character we can suddenly sympathise and empathise with. Credit should be given to Simm for not trying to show off and show a whole range of emotion from Sam: instead, he plays the role as it should be played in that first ten minutes - ultimately, boring. Until that amazing moment of seeing what he can really do as an actor and convincingly show us a mental breakdown.

Which makes the second (and rather less subtle) thing that makes Sam Tyler interesting all the more important: suddenly, out of nowhere, he’s hit by a speeding car.

I’ve watched this first episode too many times to remember, and to this day, I still absolutely love how the writers were willing to risk losing viewers by having a boring first ten minutes that, on reflection, feel completely necessary as buildup to that all important moment. Now I know what was coming from when I heard about the show months before, but honestly, if I hadn’t known a thing about what I was watching at the time, I probably would’ve switched over during those ten minutes. Not afterwards, though. Because that’s when the whole show opens up in a big way.

When Sam wakes up, in 1973, with David Bowie singing and everything slowed right down, it truly is a magical moment. Suddenly, Sam has gone from a world of bright colours and blandness to a world of muddier, browner colours, a world that looks, sounds and feels real but feels completely alien to Sam. He has no clue what the hell’s happening to him, and this is truly sold by Simm’s performance, as we follow his journey of Sam every step of the way. Even the building he works at looks completely different, even though, on the outside, it’s exactly the same as the one we saw in 2006. Just a really effective use of different angles used and a slight change in tone really make a great impression that this isn’t the building that Sam knows.

And on the inside, we’re proven right: far from the ordered world we saw Sam come from, we are treated to mess and clutter, terrible lighting, and smoke coming from everywhere, with not a computer in sight (something that Sam not only picks up on but leads to a nice moment of misunderstanding from his new co-workers). And the office matches the office staff perfectly, as we’re introduced to DC Chris Skelton, someone who seems keen to see a new face around, and DS Ray Carling, who’s definitely not so keen. We’re not given much on these characters in this first episode, but both feel lively, three dimensional, men who are believeably of their time and are completely unprofessional when it comes to their work.

But neither really matches the brilliance of Sam’s new DCI: Gene Hunt, who beats up Sam the moment he’s woken up by him. From the first moment, Philip Glenister owns this role – a behemoth of a man who spends all the time chain smoking and drinking but most of all, he’s committed to his job – of arresting bad guys by any means necessary. In this aspect, him and Tyler clash almost instantly, and we come to another hugely important aspect of Life on Mars: Sam and Gene’s relationship. How reluctantly they get on with each other, how the methods of one conflict completely with another, and how both are equally challenged by the partnership. It’s not always a matter of “Sam is always right because he’s from 2006”: Gene absolutely believes what he’s doing is completely and morally right - after all, what good is “the law” if it actually stops you from protecting innocent citizens? Through a combination of great writing, acting and directing, it’s a relationship that is far from clichéd as it could’ve been and instead feels completely real.

And of course, it’s not just Gene who seems completely real to Sam: it’s the whole world, something that, logically, Sam cannot accept. (Kudos must be given to, erm, Kudos Productions for making 1973 come alive as it does, not just with the hair styles and the attitudes but also the very look, one that is gritty and grimy, feeling very reminiscent of 70s cop shows like the Sweeney, something that the creators have said was their intention.) It’s not just the obvious sign that earlier that day he distinctly remembers being hit by a car in 2006 and waking up in 1973 – there’s also the messages from the tv and distinct sounds that Sam hears that clearly suggest he is in a coma in 2006. This psychological aspect is another driving force of what makes Life on Mars work: it’s less the ‘mystery’ of how Sam got to 1973 that’s interesting, it’s the fact that Sam is in a world that appears to be completely real and yet he knows it cannot be. By the end of the episode, he is desperate to get back to 2006, by any means necessary, but Annie, the one person he has talked to about his situation, stops him to suggest that maybe there’s a reason he’s in 1973. The most fascinating aspect of that moment is that it’s the first moment of Sam wondering why the world feels so real around him if it is his mind, all because of some sand on Annie’s hand. That level of detail, of how even the tiny things matter, even when they happen off screen (such as Annie tripping over the fire bucket) just gives the show a level of depth that you just don’t see in most shows.

As far as first episodes go, we are given a lot, theme wise, all of which considerably complex, psychologically, morally and socially speaking. It’s also hard to fault in many other areas, in terms of writing, acting and directing. Not to mention that, with its excellent use of humour, jumping over desks in slow motion and car chases, a huge amount of fun.

Thank god the last 50 minutes of the show were nothing like the first ten!

Shannon
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Yay, I'm back!

Episode 2
Shannon: 3/5
Amber: 3/5

We couldn't figure out for the life of us why the cops are always running around without guns. For example, in the scene where Sam, Annie and the deaf guy are being chased by the three bad guys, they didn't have guns. Then we asked Dr. Google and he explained that apparently, the police don't really carry guns in the UK, lol. Silly us! I enjoyed the episode, but it wasn't anything special. The "I'm from the future" idea didn't play too much into this episode, and the "I'm hearing the hospital sounds where I'm in a coma" scene seemed a bit ... forced. All in all it was enjoyable, but nothing to write home about. I, unlike SOMMMEEEE people, am going to finish the series/show. That's the only way I do things. :)

Jean and DD, I really hope your conversation of "He left the room, and then things happened ..." isn't a spoiler of things to come/discover.

Jean, bored of Lost. WWWHHHHAAAAATTTTTTT? I love that show. Lovelovelove it. Merl, I loved the ending. If I watched the finale right now, my cheeks would be soaked when the credits roll, just the same as when I first watched it.

Merl, I haven't seen a few of your all time favorites: Citizen Kane, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Soprano's, Brotherhood, John in Cincinatti, Boston Legal, The Practice, Law & Order, NYPD Blue, Fringe. Not a fan of the routine "cop show", though.

I wanna post my favorites! I am (only slightly, lol) OCD and I keep a list of everything I've ever seen, including ratings and dates. Most of you have seen the lists before, but for those that haven't, here are my Top 30 Movies and Top 15 Television Shows:

Movies:
12 Angry Men (1957)
Aliens
Anchorman
The Chronicles Of Riddick
Closer
Con Air
The Dark Knight
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Family Stone
Gladiator - ALL-TIME FAVORITE
Inception
Interview With The Vampire
The Lion King
Love Actually
The Majestic
Meet Joe Black
Moulin Rouge
The Notebook
Old School
The Prestige
Pulp Fiction
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Saving Private Ryan
Sin City
The Social Network
Star Trek (2009)
The Terminal
Vanilla Sky
Wedding Crashers
Wicker Park

Television Shows:
Battlestar Galactica (2003)
Dawson's Creek
Deadwood
Firefly
Friends
Glee
Jersey Shore
Lost
Nip/Tuck
The Office (2005)
Prison Break
Smallville
Spartacus
True Blood
The Walking Dead

Shannon
01-14-2012, 10:23 PM
P.S. My favorite character so far is Hunt. He's great.

Merlin1958
01-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Well, I watched the third episode this morning. I don't dislike the show, just can't seem to find the amount of brilliance you guys do. It's a good show though and the soundtrack rocks!!!!! Does the Queen make the bands reduce royalties for the BBC? LOL

I'll be watching #4 in the morning.

Oh. and Shannon, you reminded me of a few flix/shows I forgot, namely Saving Pvt Ryan/The Walking Dead!!!!!

alkanto
01-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I know I've been awfully lax in updating reviews and whatnot, so I'll try and sum up at least the first 2 eps here. Sorry if it's a bit erratic. James and Jean are so good at typing out long reviews, but me, well....I pretty much put the thoughts down as they come.

First off, I have found it very interesting, watching it a second time. There will never be the magic of the first viewing (as James and Jean can confirm!) but it is simply amazing as to what I notice this time around. The first scene after the accident never fails to move me...what a song! Many people have mentioned loving the soundtrack, and it's hard not to agree. This era of music was my absolute favorite.

But in regards to the first 10 minutes, I don't know if I would call them boring, exactly...but they are less intriguing. This is a world we are pretty much familiar with. I mean, how many procedural cop shows are out there? This is nothing new, here. The magic happens when Sam is taken back to 1973. Immediately, one of the greatest things about the era switch, from a directional point of view, is the deeper color saturation, the new angles at which moments are shot, and the decor of the same building we just saw...now, almost unrecognizable. The transition was very well done.

I can only imagine how rough of a transition it is for Sam...while all fields of work have changed, policing is one that I've always found to have an incredibly drastic change. Everything Sam relied on previously is now gone...which creates a really interesting team dynamic, even from the start.
One thing about Sam, too, is his character in general. To be completely fair, on his own he's not a very interesting person. In an average cop show, he'd be the one with a bit of screen time - probably dedicated to either telling off the rouge "Gene Hunt" character, or something. It really is a matter of situation. It also makes it interesting to see everything - and I mean everything - from his point of view. And yet despite this, as James mentioned, the detail of information that occurs off-screen is still very articulated and important. I agree - it really adds to the mystery of what the hell is going on here. It also creates a challenge for the writers to determine what plot points are integral to Sam's direct line of sight, and what needs to be just talked about, not shown.

Another note, on imagery and Sam Tyler....a particularly poignant scene right at the beginning of ep 2 was the mirror scene right at the beginning. "Real. Unreal." Everything, from the environment to Sam cutting himself with his razor, tells him this is real. But how can it possibly be? I can only imagine what that would do to a person's psyche.

And I know I've been ignoring the rest of the characters, so I'll write something quick about the rest of the team:
Gene Hunt, of course, is amazing. Even if I don't agree with his methods to the point, I am constantly impressed with how much dedication to justice. It is important to note that I am treating law and justice as separate entities. Trying to plant drugs on a person, on whom they have no viable evidence, to keep him because Gene knows he will commit crimes once released - this proves that he really does care, despite his nonchalant (?) attitude about a lot of things.
I've always loved Annie, so there's not much to say there....
And one of my favorites is Chris Skelton. He's the bumbling cop here, just trying to fit in. I think he has an obvious change, though, even between eps 1 and 2. At first he is clearly trying to please Gene...only, he's doing this by trying to emulate everything Gene is. He's acting like Gene, even if it doesn't fit him. But already in ep 2, you can see the postive influence Sam has on him. He is genuinely trying.

Both the first and second eps do a really good job of throwing the viewer into this carefully crafted world, and show off how utterly non-pristine the methods of some of the great officers are. it was a whole different world. And I'm so glad I'm revisiting it.

DoctorDodge
01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Excellent review, Pond. Describing the first ten minutes as "less intriguing" probably is the best way to describe them. Agreed on many points, of course, especially regarding Chris - he is the kind of cop who wants to be like other cops rather than find his own way, really.

Will comment more (and hopefully post a review for ep 3) later!

fernandito
01-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Like Rick, I'm going to just go ahead and get the first disc from Netflix. I streamed the first episode online last night with much difficulty, Div X kept freezing my computer and more than once it took me back to the beginning of the episode and I had to keep rebuffering and manually searching where I left off. Anyway, my thoughts on the first EP

Episode 1 :

Well, shoot, how to begin ... I liked the first EP well enough, but I wasn't in any way enamored with it, or much less. As Merlin mentioned, a lot of acting seems horrendously forced and ham fisted, I was almost quite literally cringing at some of the exchanges between the main character - I can't even remember his name, if that's any indication of how memorable it was - and Hunt. Hunt, as one dimensional as he is, probably saved this EP for me as every other actor turned in bland and uninspired performances. Does this get rectified in the later ep's? Do we get any kind of insight into his character ?

Also, please, PLEASE tell me that we get a glimpse of John Simm's life before the accident so I can have something to care about. I felt absolutely no connection, no notion of being able to relate to the main character outside of 'it sucks that he's in a seemingly inescapable coma'. Maya , who is she ? What makes her so important to him ? What was their life like together ? She had a total of about three minutes screen time before her kidnapping, and John Simm starts crying so I guess she's important to him ? The show didn't do a well enough job of conveying how deep their connection is, if there's any connection to start with.

The premise is interesting enough, but the execution left much to be desired for me, personally. There were a few brief scenes of brilliance that gives me hope for later episodes, such as certain sequences being shot in rough, bright light - teasing the audience of the possibility that he might be in the afterlife. The extension and grasping of hands between Simms and Annie at the zenith of EP. Also, the last ten minutes were especially noteworthy, namely the scene where they're questioning Simes's (?) neighbor about the killer, and how they get her to drop snippets of information by relaxing her. That was well done, I think.

I'm hoping that the second episode steps it up and more than anything makes me feel like I should care for these characters instead of just watching them go through the motions. Here's hoping ....

2/5

Jean
01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
LOL, DD and Jennifer, seems like we're just freaks of nature, the three of us (J3... James, Jen and Jean...). Well, actually it's five - the good news is that both Alexander and Helen, my closest friends (both in London) watched it and liked it to the same extent as the three of us did - so much, in fact, that they even started Ashes to Ashes, just to be able to see Hunt again.

feverish: I am so sorry! especially since I have to disappoint you as far as your hopes are concerned. Afraid the answer to all of them is no. No insights into any of the character besides those that have already been (and will be) provided by merely cinematographical means, no backstory, no redeeming features, nothing...

DoctorDodge
01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow, feev, I really thought you would've enjoyed it. No, Sam's life before 73 isn't explored in detail, but honestly I thought both Simm's performance and Tyler's beginning journey were enough to sell it. (Besides, even in Simm's words, how Tyler essentially starts out is a bit of a dick anyway, so no flashbacks to his previous life, thank you.) And I still don't see the "bad acting". All the performances are excellent to me and suit the characters perfectly. Especially with Hunt. Glenister really owns that role (in every sense of the word). Still, then again, I never really got the fuss around Carnivale, and I know how many people enjoyed that show.

Still Jean, at least you converted two friends of yours into Hunt fans (and I really can't say I'm surprised they went onto Ashes to Ashes so quickly - Hunt is a LEGEND!). And at least Shannon and Amber have been enjoying it! (Although I do like J3. The Three J's. England, America and Russia. What a combo!)

alkanto
01-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Clearly the letter J is the coolest one out there... :lol:

DoctorDodge
01-18-2012, 05:26 PM
So, we’ve had the first episode that nicely set up not just the premise and the relationships of the characters, and it has to be said, as far as first eps go, it was pretty bloody brilliant. So, does the 2nd ep fail to match the high standards set by the opening instalment?

Does it fuck.

If anything, it almost improves on what the first ep did: taking the already setup themes and expanding them greatly, whilst adding a huge amount of tension and, most of all, really exploring how different people can have a different way of judging what right and wrong is, without somehow sounding ridiculously preachy about it in the process. It is probably in the higher number of my top 16 favourites.

I think I’ll start with that opening scene: the best use of McCartney’s Live and Let Die that I have ever seen, in two very different but equally wonderful parts. First, we have Sam looking in the mirror while shaving, a mirror that’s partially broken, with McCartney singing on the radio. We have him staring at it, saying, “Real…unreal”, desperate to see a clear difference between the worlds of 1973 and 2006. Of course, his deep moment is abruptly stopped when he cuts himself on his razor, bringing him back to…well, a form of reality, anyway. A nice, subtle and philosophical moment before we cut to…

“Say ‘Live and Let Die’.”

A fantastic sequence featuring Sam, Gene and Chris in swimming gear, chasing a suspect from a swimming pool. I can’t get over how brilliant this sequence is, matching the big and loud part of the music perfectly, going from a great use of slow motion to a fast paced chase (with my favourite part of course featuring all four, an old lady and her bag), and ending with the return of the slow, quiet part of the song, as Sam looks up at the sky, exhausted but laughing, the first genuinely clear sign that maybe, just maybe, he doesn’t hate 1973 completely. That opening scene is just absolutely amazing – to think, it’s not even the 2nd episode and yet we have another truly memorable and iconic combination of excellent directing and music that, dare I say it, matches the best kind of moments we have seen in film history. (I also have to give special mention to Jean, who pointed out just how excellently directed it all was. To be honest, I never really noticed until then: everything had flown together so well and so naturally that, unbelieveably, the skill that went into that one scene practically went over my head many times before. It’s one of the key reasons I’m writing this ep by ep analysis now: to really make an effort at seeing all the skill and effort that went into a series that I have watched countless times and yet have only recently noticed how beautifully constructed it all is.)

Then, after Sam’s one moment of enjoyment in 1973 so far, that all changes after we’ve had the titles (which are nicely retro without going into cliché, which I quite like). First, we have the interview of the suspect, Kim Trent. There is no attempt by the writers here to give him the slightest bit of humanity, a decision that suits the episode perfectly. This is demonstrated by Sam using one of his 2006 methods to shock him during an interview by showing a few pictures of some of his horrifically injured victims. Whereas in the previous episode, Colin Raimes had the decency to show some reaction to the horrific photographs, here Trent just looks at them calmly smoking his cigarette, not affected in the slightest. The continual use of ironies and parallels used in the series is something I always love to see. What’s also great is how the scene is just wonderfully dark, gritty, but still has the occasional moment of humour with a wonderful quote from Hunt (“If you were Pinocchio, you would’ve just poked my eye out”). But even this adds a little to the tension when Hunt starts laughing with Trent and then just stops, letting you know in advance that Hunt really isn’t messing around with such a man who he considers to be the lowest of the scum. Then we have the wonderful moment where he practically explodes and SMACKS Trent, every time he tells an obvious lie. No punches – this bastard’s so low in Gene’s eyes he doesn’t even deserve to be hit like a man, instead treating him as little more than a child who should not tell lies. It lets us know that while Gene is a man who prefers to use action rather than words (or photos) against scum, he’s not the kind of man to just punch them senseless. There’s a method to his policing, even his violence.

Not that it makes Sam any more comfortable, especially when Gene makes it clear that he’s willing to “fit him up” with false evidence, evidence that doesn’t even relate to the crime they arrested him for, just to secure a conviction. The interesting problem here is that Gene isn’t just trying to get home early – it’s more because every time the criminal’s in the city, his history is one of doing not one but two jobs, “bang, bang, in, out” in Gene’s words. He knows he did the first crime, purely based on gut instinct and of course, common sense, and even Sam knows it. One problem: Sam believes that planting evidence is wrong, no matter how bad that criminal is or how incredibly likely it is that he committed the crime.

(Thinking about this, I'll just pause my discussion of the ep and think about something I brought up in my previous analysis - that in any other show, Sam Tyler wouldn't be the main character. Now thinking about it, I'll take that point one step further: that essentially, in any other show, Sam and Gene's roles would probably be reversed. Sam would be the guy in charge and Gene would be the main character out to get the suspect by any way possible, but wouldn't have enough power to do it. Watching Life on Mars really makes me think about the traditional characters we root for in such a show: would we like the characters any more - or even as much - if they had the power they wanted? Honestly, I very much doubt it. Then again, it has to be said that Gene is a hugely likeable character in his own right, he's just not the character who's eyes we see through for the series. It's something to think about, anyway.)

So Sam decides to do “the right thing” and decides to let the guy go, until they have more evidence, at least. It’s a decision that doesn’t sit well with Gene or the others, but Sam believes he’s done the right thing.

Of course, that becomes a lot more difficult for him to justify when Trent and his gang rapidly do commit another crime, on schedule, and one of Gene and Sam's colleagues is critically injured in the attack.

The scene following the attack is absolutely gut wrenching to watch, and Simm again proves how much of a bloody fantastic actor he truly is, as we see all the pain on Sam’s face when facing the consequences of his decision. No one’s going to help him, to tell him it wasn’t his fault, because in their eyes it was his fault, and no one makes it clearer than Gene, who tells Sam to clean up their colleague’s precious blood. Sam’s cries that they “had no EVIDENCE!” fall on deaf ears, and eventually, pathetically, Sam cleans up the blood. This fantastic exploration of what different people believe to be right and wrong is fantastically done, and is one of the biggest reasons why I love this episode. Hell, exploring such complex themes is why I love the show in general – generally speaking, the least interesting part of the series are usually the cases, but only because the show is less focussed on solving the crime and more focused on how the cases explore, challenge and change both Sam Tyler and the people around him.

Sam is now more alone than ever, and naturally, desperately wants to get back home. Even Annie strongly implies that Hunt’s method of locking up Trent would’ve worked if Sam had never intervened. When everyone else is against him, Sam decides to be alone in his flat, with nothing but a bottle of wine to drink. Of course, even this gets ruined for him when the Test Card Girl – an image widely seen on tv when a broadcaster had finished broadcasting tv programmes for the night – appears in the room with Sam. This is a moment that, for me, is simultaneously terrifying and hilarious, partly because of Sam’s very believable reaction that can only be described with the letters “W”, “T”, and “F”, followed by both a question and exclamation mark, but also because of the sheer ridiculous of the situation, and yet it’s played completely straight as a well-made scary moment. Again, one moment where two completely different reactions are simultaneously given, once again giving us a form of duality within the show. (Is it any wonder that, out of all the areas near Manchester that Sam could’ve come from in 1973, he just so happens to have come from ‘Hyde’?)

Eventually, Sam goes to visit his colleague in hospital Joan, and eventually, Hunt arrives as well. The two essentially work out their issues. In one of the most ridiculous and yet natural looking punch-ups put to screen, with the two beating each other senseless in the crudest and easiest ways possible. (The interruption by the nurse halfway through before they show their badges definitely deserves a mention for sheer comedy gold.) Hunt’s speech afterwards about how much he loves his city is another excellent line of dialogue that, while it doesn’t put things completely straight between the two, certainly seems to help Sam find the motivation to keep on going and carry on doing what he does: policing. It is interesting to note that, while neither seems to be particularly apologetic about how they police, both seem to accept how the other does it.

Eventually, through thorough methods and witness interviews, Sam finds a key witness to the 2nd robbery that can identify Trent and asks Annie to stick with him while Ray sits outside his house as witness protection. Unfortunately, to both Ray and Gene, a darts match seemed more important, leading to Leonard and Annie getting put in danger. Obviously, Gene and his crew come to the rescue, but it’s interesting to note that with both copper’s methods, neither of them would’ve landed anyone in danger. It’s the refusal of one to accept the fact that the other one’s methods might work that’s the problem. It’s a subtle message, one that avoids being Star Trek-y by being obvious and preachy about it, and instead works because it’s not the focus of the ep. There’s too many things explored in this episode for it to be that. There’s even time for a nice nod to the obvious influence of Wizard of Oz near the end, with Gene pointing out that, no matter how much Sam wants to go home, he “wanted to come”.

The pushing forward of Sam and Gene’s relationship really makes this a key episode. It barely had a chance to begin in the previous episode, pushed things to near breaking point in this one, but by the end, it does establish one thing: these two may bicker, fight, outright hate each other at some points, but one thing they are not is enemies. These two are working towards the same goal, they just have very different ways of doing it. This ep allowed them to accept that. Not much, but a little, at least. Enough for Sam to relax a bit by the end by playing a hand of poker with Gene.

Until the next fight, anyway.

Merlin1958
01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
FWIW I LIKE this show!! I just don't love it to the extent that you folks do, I suppose. Atleast not yet anyway. However, I am poised for Episode #5 in the AM and will willingly continue!!!! Hunt is showing more levels and I am liking him a whole lot more, We'll see!!!

Bill - Out!!!

LOL

DoctorDodge
01-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Well, I am glad you're enjoying it to an extent, Bill. And I suppose that, for newcomers, it is difficult to see what all the fuss is about.

For the record, I didn't even start watching this to see a great show, necessarily, I just thought a modern day cop finding himself in a 1970s world was an insanely cool idea, notsomuch because of the 'mystery' of how he got there so much as that I just love all those 70s cop shows. Imo they really were the best, especially the Sweeney. So while I wasn't born in the 70s, I did have something to relate to from the show. Hell, the appeal of Gene was that he was so OTT compared to other cops from other shows, and tbh, that was the way I wanted it, because honestly I find a lot of cop shows these days a little boring. Honestly, I was pretty surprised that, when I got Jean to watch the show, he loved it as much as he did! It's only with time, and rewatch after rewatch, that I started seeing all the layers to the show. But I am glad you're liking it, at least. And I'm definitely glad you're liking Hunt more.

I'm gonna go and finally re-watch ep 3 later and post an analysis on that either today or tomorrow. Hopefully, after Ricky and some others have finally posted some thoughts on ep 1...?

fernandito
01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Come on Ricky, I'm curious to hear your thoughts too ...

Ricky
01-19-2012, 01:51 PM
HEY! How about YOU tell Meryl Streep that Doubt has to wait. :P

:lol:

DoctorDodge
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Ok, so after we’ve been put through the emotional wringer in just the first two episodes, we’ve finally gotten a break from that grimness and intensity and have been given a more…light hearted ep. It may not be quite as excellent as the two hours before it, but it still has a lot to say, and gets a lot of things right.

First off, when we see Sam at the beginning of this episode (to the excellent sound of Ballroom Blitz), it’s becoming clearer that Sam is becoming a little more used to 1973. He’s not exactly fitting in yet, but he’s not as desperate to get back home, either. He’s at least trying to act a little like “the Guv” at times (and failing miserably: his mimicking of Hunt’s line of “I’ll come round your house and stamp on your toys” was practically cringing in its delivery, proving one thing: Tyler is not Hunt) and doesn’t mind getting the odd bacon butty for a workmate every now and again.

He hasn’t forgotten that he needs to get home, of course, especially when the police radio tells him to “fight”. How this moment relates to the episode is something I’ll get back to later, but I just want to bring up something common in a few tv series and film: predictability. In many a case, moments that are entirely predictable are usually a bad thing (even worse when its whole plots or endings), but sometimes, it can work in the story’s favour, if it’s intentional, at least. Even then, in some cases it still may not work, but if you’re lucky, it may pay off. After all, there’s a difference between guessing what a character will do because it’s an old cliché and you’ve seen it all before, and knowing what a character will do because they’re so well crafted that you almost feel like you know them personally.

Such a moment comes when Gene’s about to drive and Tyler says, “It’s a one-way street…” I adore this moment, knowing the moment Tyler says this Gene’s not going to bother driving the, ahem, legal way and instead just reversing like hell into a pile of boxes, with a bacon butty in his mouth and, to top it off, all to the wonderful sound of Ballroom Blitz. It’s a wonderfully crafted and directed moment of comedy.

When Tyler and Hunt arrive at the scene, they find a horrifically slashed body at a textiles factory. However, what’s strange about the body is where it is: Sam’s flat, or rather, in the exact place that Sam’s flat will be in 2006. A rather huge coincidence, especially when Hunt disagrees with Tyler over what the best method is to find a suspect – method or instinct, to put it very simply – and challenges him to a bet, saying Tyler has “no fight” in him if he turns it down. Rather convenient, considering what he heard on the police radio earlier, right? Almost like the product of a comatose mind, giving itself a problem to solve?

And yet Sam treats the whole case as if it were real because, again, we come up to the old contradiction that Sam’s world can’t be real and yet in fact is. If the coma aspect wasn’t there, that kind of obvious coincidence wouldn’t have been so interesting, but with the idea that it may be a product of Sam’s mind, it makes all these strange and convenient coincidences simply add to the disorientation and strangeness of Sam’s situation.

While the previous two episodes were very internally focused – on Sam feeling mad, on exploring different morals and how people see right and wrong differently – this episode has a more external exploration, on how times change in society. Of how important the fight is – whether you know the outcome or not, if what you’re fighting against is inevitable, sometimes the fight itself is important. Depending on what you’re fighting for, anyway. It also explores on what can be important today can be obsolete tomorrow, even if that affects so many lives. I’ve watched this show so many times, and still I discover another line of dialogue that makes me think. This time it was Annie’s line of “Houses should be houses, factories should be factories. I mean things are built for a purpose.” Said from a perfectly normal character in the show, not Nelson the wise barman, and yet it’s a line that not only fits that character but also gets you thinking, of how things can remain the same on the outside but completely change on the inside, and whether that can be a good thing or not depends entirely on your point of view. We’re given another moment to think about when Gene talks about how important pure instinct and snap decision is even when you’ve got a thousand different ways to solve the crime, and without it, none of it matters. We’re reminded once again of where Sam comes from, of who he once was: a man based entirely on method and had thrown away feeling aside, and it nearly got his girlfriend killed, and we’re again left wondering how much of a good influence Hunt may be on Sam through a few lines of Hunt’s wisdom. God, I fucking love the dialogue of this show!

Despite the gruesome “murder” of the ep, this is a wonderfully funny and quotable ep at times, giving a large number of comedic moments both visually and spoken. Some of these come from the cases in the show – the visual image on the suspect made from bits of different photographs was hysterical, as well as seeing how “rewarding” a “thorough investigative process” is. More comedy is given to us by Litton, a copper whose methods are even hated by Gene. In fact, it’s a wonderful moment seeing Gene and Sam team up to punch Lytton in the face simultaneously.

One more thing I’d like to say about this episode is how much some of the characters have seemed to develop already. Chris has gone from someone who’s as bad and dumb as everyone else to someone who’s keen to learn. Well, maybe that’s not quite true. It’s not that he’s become keen to learn, I suspect he’s always keen to learn, but with only Hunt and Ray there, he’s not had as many positive influences, not to his personality anyway. Here, we see him keen to follow Tyler as much as possible, taking up the idea of “multi-tasking” rather quickly (even if it is with tea and biscuits), and drawing a blood pattern analysis for him. He may not be the fastest copper around, but his eager to please attitude, along with the fact that he is learning, makes him just that little more likeable than when we first met him.
Gene and Sam, whatever their arguments in the ep, seem to be getting on a lot better at least after most of the tensions between the two practically exploded in the last ep. Each still believes that their opinion is the better opinion, but they’re both more willing to let the other try out their methods at least. Sam and Annie’s relationship also seems to be getting gradually more than platonic. The only major character who hasn’t changed at all yet is of course Ray. No real surprise there, of course, and to be honest, it would be unrealistic for him if he did change: Ray is absolutely loyal to his Guv, and hates Tyler for taking the position he feels he should’ve earned. Two reasons why this misogynistic bastard very probably won’t ever change. Well, that and the fact that he is a misogynistic bastard.

So in this episode we’ve had an examination of how times change, how people change, and how important it can be to fight, no matter what the outcome. Oh, and we’ve also had a car drive through boxes, a shootout and a massive punch-up. Either way you look at it, you’ve got a fantastic piece of television right there.

Shannon
01-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Since MegaUpload was arresed (big news story, Google it), I've had to find new downloading resources. I think I found them and will be watching more Life On Mars tonigth or tomorrow. :)

By the way, I was wondering why the two leads looked so damn familiar. It's because they were both on a show I watched not too long ago called "Mad Dogs". It was rather enjoyable, check it out if you can, it was one short season long.

DoctorDodge
01-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah, they've just started showing series 2 over here, or will be soon, anyway. I kept meaning to check series 1 out. I'll try and look for the dvd soon.

Shannon
01-22-2012, 07:51 PM
I didn't even know they were making a second season/series! Thanks to you, I tracked down the teaser trailer and discovered it started Jan 19. Yay! One more show to watch! Thanks friend! :)

Merlin1958
01-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Since MegaUpload was arresed (big news story, Google it), I've had to find new downloading resources. I think I found them and will be watching more Life On Mars tonigth or tomorrow. :)

By the way, I was wondering why the two leads looked so damn familiar. It's because they were both on a show I watched not too long ago called "Mad Dogs". It was rather enjoyable, check it out if you can, it was one short season long.

Could you copy the link here as well? I was using your episode links to watch. Got up to episode 4

Shannon
01-23-2012, 12:06 AM
I would if I could. I am using the website www.tvfreeload.org now, and they have different threads for the different movies/shows with people posting different download links using different file servers. For example, here is the Life On Mars thread:

http://forum.tvfreeload.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2854

And I purchased a RapidShare account (around $15 a month), downloaded the RapidShare Manager, and I can now download as many RapidShare files as my computer has space. I pretty much just replaced MegaUpload with RapidShare. I don't know what you can do as a non-member though, sorry. I wouldn't mess around too much on these sites if you don't know what not to click, you know? Might end up with viruses and such. :(

DoctorDodge
01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Ok, tomorrow, definitely tomorrow, I'll get round to re-watching ep 4 and analysing it. (Why Sherlock: Series 2 had to be released on blu ray this week, I'll never know. Not that I'm complaining, naturally.) Although I am wondering if we should put off eps 5 and 6 for a short while. Just until everyone's caught up, anyway. After all, the whole point of this re-watch is for people to finally catch up, not have everyone fall behind instead.

Shannon
01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
I agree, but you have to make sure that people ARE going to catch up and not just saying "Yeah, I'll start it eventually, blah blah blah", you know? Like me, I'm definitely going to catch up this weekend. :)

DoctorDodge
01-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Yep, that's the thing. So maybe a bit of a delay, but give it...maybe a week, tops, before we move onto eps 5 and 6.

Not that I won't pester them if they say they're gonna catch up and are failing to do so, of course...:evil:

Jean
01-28-2012, 12:41 AM
I so wish a miracle would happen and at least one of our friends would see in the movie what we, the three of us, do!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_dreaming.gif

pathoftheturtle
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm so sorry, guys. I keep telling myself I'll catch up and then post to say I have caught up. But I've been busy. Still hoping not to miss out entirely on the group experience. But, at the very least, I still definitely intend to watch all of it SOME day.

Jean
01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
please please!.. it would be awesome if you joined in!... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

DoctorDodge
01-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Agreed with bears on both posts #109 and #111. And path, no worries mate, I know how life all too often conflicts with great tv/film watching. I've been meaning to re-watch ep 4 of LoM this past week, but since things are so quiet around here atm, I think I'll finish watching City of Lost Children, something I started watching before my holiday but hadn't gotten round to finishing yet. (And don't worry, Jean: I'll post my thoughts on it straight after I'm done.)

By the way, Jean, I don't think I've read any more thoughts from you on eps 3 and 4 yet. Care to share some interesting new thoughts on it? (And don't worry: I promise to post an analysis of ep 4 by Monday!)

Merlin1958
01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
I watched ep. 4 and I am more than willing to move forward. However, I need a reliable place to watch online. Megaupload was great, but mow its gone. Thanks Shannon, but I'm unconfortable with vicious Malware and such. Just don't have the PC skills to deal with it. Any other suggestions?

Jean
01-28-2012, 10:32 PM
get yourself skype, and I'll send you the files

DD: will do the re-watch of these episodes tomorrow, and post - if I happen to have any thoughts not already covered by you! I love your essays (and will comment again soon)

SigTauGimp
01-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Okay, DD got me to watch it...but, sad to say, I didn't realize there was a re-watch thread...and...well...I kkkkiiiinnnnddddaaaa went and watched...all of it. :P

So, where is everyone at? The vast majority of the show is still fresh in my mind, so I can probably still "talk the talk" with you lot. :P

DoctorDodge
01-29-2012, 05:40 AM
:lol: Considering how quickly you watched the whole first 4 series of Doctor Who in under a week, I really can't say I'm surprised! I'm guessing you liked it, then? Thoughts on the first few eps? (Oh, and since you have watched all of it, thoughts for the show overall, including the ending, should be posted here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?7614-Life-on-Mars-%28UK-US%29-Ashes-to-Ashes

Jean's also posted an excellent spoiler-filled analysis on the whole show that's needs to be read by other people who've watched it all.

Jean
01-29-2012, 10:15 AM
thank you James for using this word that I will gladly repeat!

sigtau, my excellent review is here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?7614-Life-on-Mars-%28UK-US%29-Ashes-to-Ashes&p=635822&viewfull=1#post635822

DoctorDodge
01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
We begin the episode with a dream sequence. Fittingly, little more is surreal to the show than usual: Sam’s walking through 1973, down his old street, hearing his mum call out to him, with the world around him in slow motion. Considering one of the underlying themes of the series is exploring what we think of as ‘real’ and what’s not, having a dream that is, on the surface, close to Sam’s current ‘reality’ is a wonderful way to begin the ep, especially when Sam wakes up, 1973 is clearly more real than the dream. It’s only in the details, with people in the street and time running normally, but it works.

One thing I love about this episode is how much it tells us of Sam’s family life without resorting to flashbacks, still sticking to Sam’s perspective in a linear way. We’re given a perfect picture of what Sam’s life is like through conversations with his mother and through Sam’s reactions. We learn that when he was 4 years old his dad wasn’t around much, that money was tight with his family, and even as a kid he dreamed of being a copper.

Which fits in perfectly with Sam finding out that his department is bent. Now, what I love – and I mean, absolutely fucking love – is how we find it out. We don’t see the coppers as suddenly revealed to be evil bastards, willing to get away with anything if they can for their own benefit. We instead see them believe that it’s not only a natural part of their lives, it’s a necessity. Gene justifying that Warren may be bent, but he at least makes sure that no sex crimes happen and always lets the police know when new criminals are in town almost sounds perfectly reasonable.

Not to Sam, though – his idea of the perfect, incorruptible copper hasn’t changed since he was 4 years old, a fact that’s clear when he wants to prove to his mum that he isn’t a bent copper. How Sam’s personal life connects with his professional life (not to mention his psychological one, too) in this episode is handled really beautifully, as he tries to prove to himself that he’s not a dirty copper, making it very clear to everyone, including Gene and Warren, that he won’t let them make him 1 per cent corrupt, if he can help it.

Of course, Sam being Sam, all he really does is practically paint himself as a massive target to Warren. I think many of us could see where it was heading when Warren’s girl Joni asks Sam for help, but again, this is something that reflects Sam’s mentality – when he was 4, he wanted to be a decent and honest cop, and that’s exactly what he became. Sometimes, we have to wonder just how grown up Sam really is. So I think only Sam was really surprised when (after a rather nightmarish and surreal sequence that’s less of a sex scene and more a rape,) he wakes ups the next morning handcuffed to the bed and looking like a prat in front of Hunt (and unfortunately, Annie). It doesn’t get any easier at the station, with not only everyone making jokes at Sam’s expense, but Sam suffering another moment of trippy insanity when he hears Ray and Chris speaking with doctor’s voices, not only providing a ‘real world’ explanation for how the LSD got into Sam’s system, but also making you wonder how much damage doctors can do to your mind when they’re trying to ‘help’.

However, Sam still has to make himself look more like a complete prat, so of course when he defends his decision of taking Joni home because Warren was going to rape her and Sam was the only person she trusted, Gene not only boldly defends both his station and his officers, but also makes it clear to Sam (in every politically incorrect term there is in the UK) that Joni’s boss is in fact homosexual. Once Sam finally learns this, he finally starts to learn how much of an idiot he’s made himself look. To matters worse, his relationship with Annie stops at being “just friends”, which considering how obvious these two were practically made for each other, really comes at a bit of blow.

But Sam continues to fight against the inevitable, first by gaining a small victory to himself by telling his mother that he’s not a bent cop, (even if she doesn’t really understand why,) and by telling Joni that he doesn’t live in fear like she does – he’s alive. He may or may not be in a coma, but he’s not afraid of what Gene’s world or what his condition will throw at him.

And it seems that Sam’s luck is finally changing, when his words reach Joni and she burns the negatives of the rather compromising photos between her and Sam. But it comes at a price, and that price is her life, something Ray makes all too clear to Sam. And, whether Sam did the right thing or not, Ray is right: if Sam hadn’t fought back, Joni wouldn’t have been killed. It leads to first to a moment of sheer power, as the tensions between Sam and Ray that have been slowly building since the day Sam arrived in 1973 explode into a fight, and then to a much quieter, but much more important moment: Gene telling Sam a bit, just a little bit, of his past. Of how even he used to have dreams of becoming an honest cop, of how he got his senior officer arrested (something that Sam hasn’t tried to do with Gene, oddly enough), and how he took his first backhander and felt like shit for it. It’s a nice moment between the two that shows a little bit more to Hunt than we had seen previously without making him look like a right nancy.

And so, Sam finally goes for one last shot of glory, only this time, he does it with Gene. Not only that, but he uses one of Gene’s methods to do it: lock the henchman in a giant fridge! The scene of Sam and Gene talking while the crook is banging on the door behind them is sheer comic gold. And, after so much bad luck, humiliation and tragedy thrown at him, Sam finally arrests Warren and is greeted with applause from everyone. In just one hour, Sam goes from a downward spiral, just because of sticking to his morals, to coming back fighting as a hero, and man, does it feel good.

This is another of my many favourite eps, truly exploring how we view what right and wrong really are, as well as the price a man can pay for being “right”. It also explores how a man can be a true hero if he continually has every chance to do the “wrong thing” for the right reasons and turn it down, no matter what cost to his life or his dignity, and sometimes, just sometimes, it may just pay off. The final shot, of Sam sleeping peacefully while his mum tells him she’ll always be there for him, is a wonderful way to end such a great episode.

DoctorDodge
01-31-2012, 06:12 AM
Ok, what I'm thinking is, when we've got 5 people actually ready to move on (including me), we'll move onto ep 5. By 'ready', btw, I mean people with a dvd or handy link ready to watch, that way discussion won't continue without people like Merlin who are keen to watch more but just need somewhere to watch it. I know both me and (although she hasn't discussed much on here) Pond are ready to move on. Anyone else?

Jean
01-31-2012, 06:16 AM
bears are ready when you are

DoctorDodge
01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Had to repeat Pond's words from a conversation I'm having with her regarding your love of the show, Jean:

"I think he could cycle through 1 ep a day, repeating when he ran out, for 10 years, and still be ready to watch."

That sounds right. Certainly sounds about right in my case, at least.

Merlin1958
01-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Like I have said, I'm in if someone can provide a viable means to watch it on my PC. Does the BBC archive this show like American studio's do?

Shannon
01-31-2012, 06:34 PM
You can continue without me. I WILL catch up. Soon, hopefully. This week, maybe? I'm so behind on everything. :(

DoctorDodge
02-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Like I have said, I'm in if someone can provide a viable means to watch it on my PC. Does the BBC archive this show like American studio's do?

I don't know any way of watching it online now, so I think the best method is to ask bears. I've trusted him with downloads before, and they've always worked fine and virus free.

Jean
02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
yes, Bill, and there is a way that's even quicker that the one we used with DD - just get yourself skype (it's free) and tell me when you're ready. We should both be online at the same time.

DoctorDodge
02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Ok, so that's me, Jennifer, and Jean definitely ready, no surprises there. Merlin's practically ready if he listens to Jean (and why wouldn't he?). Anyone else?

Merlin1958
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
yes, Bill, and there is a way that's even quicker that the one we used with DD - just get yourself skype (it's free) and tell me when you're ready. We should both be online at the same time.

Actually, my Laptop has Skype. It's in the shop right now getting a new screen, but as soon as I get it back we can hook up.

Shannon
02-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Episode Three
Shannon: 5
Amber: 4

Great episode! I expected to have the killer figured out in the first five minutes and it went in a completely different direction. Good stuff. I love the interactions between Sam and Hunt. That's what makes the show work for me. When Sam was using the tape recorder in his interrogation and Hunt enters the room and pushes it off the table, I died laughing. They're great together, when they're fighting or competing, when they're working together, excellent. Next episode, tomorrow I think.

DoctorDodge
02-02-2012, 12:39 AM
I love the interactions between Sam and Hunt. That's what makes the show work for me. When Sam was using the tape recorder in his interrogation and Hunt enters the room and pushes it off the table, I died laughing. They're great together, when they're fighting or competing, when they're working together, excellent.

Agreed. The relationship between Sam and Gene is one of my favourites in tv history. What I really love about this episode is that it really allows their relationship to flow in full swing. The previous episode was crucial in taking it from two strangers forced to work together to a reluctant partnership. Glad you're still enjoying it, then.

Jean
02-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Episode Three

Great episode! I expected to have the killer figured out in the first five minutes and it went in a completely different direction. Good stuff. I love the interactions between Sam and Hunt. That's what makes the show work for me. When Sam was using the tape recorder in his interrogation and Hunt enters the room and pushes it off the table, I died laughing. They're great together, when they're fighting or competing, when they're working together, excellent. Next episode, tomorrow I think.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gifI so hope nothing happens tonight and I can re-watch it!http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif

DoctorDodge
02-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Fingers crossed, bears! The sooner we have more discussion and more insight from ya, the better!

Shannon
02-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Life On Mars: Episode Four
Amber: 5

What a great episode! Amber's favorite episode thus far (the third was my fav. so far). Hunt and Sam, what a great team. And ...

BOOBIES!

I like 'em. :)

Anyway, enjoying the show very much, I'm sure Amber and I will watch more this weekend. :)

Shannon
02-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Where is everyone? Are Amber and I the only ones watching the show, lol?

Episode Five
Shannon: 4

A very enjoyable stand-alone episode. Not too much was advanced as far as character development or relationships, but the emotional storyline as well as the "who did it" plotline were both well executed. I have to say that the police were pulling out bats and clubs and bare knuckles while on the way to the brawl, I was half expecting someone to come out of left field throwing a trident at someone riding a horse (Anchorman, anyone?). But all in all, a good episode. :)

And, I always seem to guess the killer on first introduction. Except on the guy in the factory episode, I sucked on that one.

DoctorDodge
02-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Haha, don't worry Shannon, I'm still watching at least. Expect another lengthy review for ep 5 to be posted sometime during the next couple of days.

Regarding the crimes and the 'whodunnit' aspects, I think they're always the weakest part of the show. As you say, in episodes like the football one, it's pretty obvious who the killer is. What I do love about is...well, it's everything else! Haha

Also glad to see both you and Amber still enjoying the series, Shannon. Good to know someone other than me, Jean and Jennifer enjoy the show, at least! :D

Jean
02-06-2012, 12:30 AM
bears are watching!!! they don't have a spare moment, so they are not posting, but they are watching and reading!!

DoctorDodge
02-06-2012, 01:55 AM
As expected, brother bear. As expected.

Shannon
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Episode Six

Very good episode, yet again. Not much to say, just ... lovin' it.

DoctorDodge
02-07-2012, 02:38 AM
:thumbsup: Excellent to see no low scores from you yet, Shannon. I'll take a break from all the Who watching I've been doing and watch ep 5 tonight. Hopefully, I can start an analysis on that. Before next week, I should be able to watch both eps 5 and 6, anyway. One thing I will say about both eps that I really like is how much they reveal about Sam, and how after all this time we're learning about his childhood and his dad, specifically. I also thought it was brilliant how Sam essentially drops a bombshell on us in the most casual way possible: when talking about his dad, he says, "To be honest, i'm not really sure where he is."

Jean
02-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Watching ep 2, and reading your review of same. We’ve already talked about the Live and Let Die, the stairs and the old lady, when I was watching it the first time; it is a definition of “well directed”. When you say you didn’t think of how well directed it was before I said it was, it’s, of course, another great thing about all this; it’s not “directed” in the way an arthouse movie can be, when anyone should be constantly taken aback by this or that trouvaille and marvel at how ingenious it is; it is perfectly directed in the sense of the word that matters most to me now, namely, meaning that every little bit does it part exactly as it should.

ending with the return of the slow, quiet part of the song, as Sam looks up at the sky, exhausted but laughing, the first genuinely clear sign that maybe, just maybe, he doesn’t hate 1973 completely.

Beautiful, isn’t it? This is what I love about British movies. They are cold, dry and cynical, comparing to American ones – and this clean-cut sarcastic asperity explodes into the most emotional moments imaginable. There’s a lot of times I felt overwhelmed during the watch, and some actually brought tears to my eyes – the first was the “firebucket” (hear her say this word, hear her very well) moment.

Back to firebucket and to ep.1… I think both of us have already mentioned this, but I want to emphasize it once again. There, on the roof, she could hold out her hand to him from where she stood, and it would’ve been a cheap gesture. But she had climbed that side of the railing, and that’s the key thing. Now it is not a beau geste, and it is not cheap: she has voluntarily subjected herself to the same mortal danger, and she has earned the right to be listened to.

And – back to good directing – nothing is cheap about the movie, either. I will go on watching ep.2 now, relishing every split moment and every millimeter of the screen… will be back here soon, too

DoctorDodge
02-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Watching ep 2, and reading your review of same. We’ve already talked about the Live and Let Die, the stairs and the old lady, when I was watching it the first time; it is a definition of “well directed”. When you say you didn’t think of how well directed it was before I said it was, it’s, of course, another great thing about all this; it’s not “directed” in the way an arthouse movie can be, when anyone should be constantly taken aback by this or that trouvaille and marvel at how ingenious it is; it is perfectly directed in the sense of the word that matters most to me now, namely, meaning that every little bit does it part exactly as it should.

Absolutely. Never stop to absolutely love that moment. Some movies get a really cool song, put it to a scene, and think that's all it takes to make a scene truly memorable. Here, we do have a cool song, even some slow motion used, but the scene and song work with each other in unison to create a sense of true brilliance.

ending with the return of the slow, quiet part of the song, as Sam looks up at the sky, exhausted but laughing, the first genuinely clear sign that maybe, just maybe, he doesn’t hate 1973 completely.

This is what I love about British movies. They are cold, dry and cynical, comparing to American ones – and this clean-cut sarcastic asperity explodes into the most emotional moments imaginable.

Oh yes, it's something I enjoy a lot about our tv, which is why I'm always incredibly cynical when I hear that an American company is remaking a British tv series or film - usually, a lot of that dry tone is surgically removed in favour of "more emotion" or "more depth" (which actually translates to "more obviousness" or "more problems that weren't needed for the story", not realising that what they have removed is in fact a vital organ of making the whole story work until it is too late.

Na, only joking, they usually don't even realise it then - why do you think there's so many failed tv pilots of remakes of UK shows?)

Back to firebucket and to ep.1… I think both of us have already mentioned this, but I want to emphasize it once again. There, on the roof, she could hold out her hand to him from where she stood, and it would’ve been a cheap gesture. But she had climbed that side of the railing, and that’s the key thing. Now it is not a beau geste, and it is not cheap: she has voluntarily subjected herself to the same mortal danger, and she has earned the right to be listened to.

Wonderfully put. A fantastic moment that helps you to respect Annie even more and helps her to seem like a real person, someone who has a true connection with Sam without the writers overdoing it.

And – back to good directing – nothing is cheap about the movie, either. I will go on watching ep.2 now, relishing every split moment and every millimeter of the screen… will be back here soon, too

Can't wait to read more, Jean. I will hopefully post an analysis of ep 5 soon. Unfortunatly, real life has gotten just a little bit in the way recently. This weekend at the latest should do, though.

Jean
02-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Doc - have I gone mad, or don't they even talk with that accent in 2006? when he hears their voices, etc?

Also, have been thinking about how you said that such as Sam wouldn't even be the main character in most films - Hunt would. I think it's (among other aspects) is another reflection of general puerility of today's moviemaking. It's the immediate identification of the moviemaker with the main guy, and thus the main guy has to be formidable, admired and adored - or rather, the formidable one must be the main guy.

Back to ep.2 now:

There is no attempt by the writers here to give him the slightest bit of humanity, a decision that suits the episode perfectly. .Right. Doing otherwise would be unbearable, it would mean sacrificing the integrity of the film for the sake of – what? Political corectness? Hypocrisy? An irrational desire to fall between two stools?

The continual use of ironies and parallels used in the series is something I always love to see.

Now that you’ve said it, I realize once again how much I am still missing, what wonderful discoveries lie ahead, from re-watch to re-watch.

The two essentially work out their issues. In one of the most ridiculous and yet natural looking punch-ups put to screen, with the two beating each other senseless in the crudest and easiest ways possible. (The interruption by the nurse halfway through before they show their badges definitely deserves a mention for sheer comedy gold.)
“Police officers!!”
This was the moment I fell in love with the film. I had already liked it - immensely, appreciated the fine directing – enormously, been interested in both the intellectual and the moral constituents – genuinely; laughed my ass off and shed a real tear. At this moment, with this burst of laughter everything tied together into one feeling of love.

And again - LOL!!!!!!!
“Do you remember - people? You used to be one.” No use quoting the dialog, of course, or we'll have to type the whole screenplay.

And genuine terror (no, not "like in life" - like in a movie, of course!) when the bad guys get out their car. The camera looks from below, exaggerating their size and formidability.

"Drop the gun – or what? You’re gonna arrest us? You, the bird and the spastic?"
What could be an answer to this? Something witty, snappy, sarcastic?
The answer is very short, simple and solemn: "Yes".
Yes.
And there is a God, and there is a Hunt, and faith (loyalty, integrity) is rewarded, and now people up and say it it ridiculous, how it happened at exactly the right moment.

What’s the problem? Not like in life? But nothing in this film – as it is the case, I must say, with all the best films in history of cinema - is like in life. They speak to us about life, they do not imitate it.

Or is it that this miraculous escape seems cliched? But of course it is, it is meant to be. It is the archetypal constituent (I’ll try to develop this later).

Then, in contrast to the somber beauty (almost like formalist theater play) of the final lineup: the subdued commonness of the hallway, and a nice nomely cup of tea. All those things are done impeccably, seamlessly, although the difference in the lighting, color scheme, and camera motions is huge.

Now, some more play on context. The good, the bad and the ugly: ”Which one are you?” – “All three”, and the Wizard of Oz part DD has spoken about; and that should, apparently, be that. There’s nothing to convince you (and the audience) that the reality is real than faded dullness of the visuals and common contexts everyone shared.

Then something happens. Apparently, his “life support was down” – at least that’s what the voices say. But wait! It happened immediately after he tried to talk Hunt into sending him back to Hyde. He has no business in Hyde, it seems.

And here comes one more thing I failed to notice before. Dying, he screames, “Help me!!” – and, finally: “Gene!!!”

And a voice immediately responds, “I am switching it back on”.

How much is the reality of the world defined by the enormousness (often enormity) of Hunt’s personality? To what degree is it true that the existence of Hunt is what keeps Sam both alive and in the world where he is (what? Captured? Freed?)

Sure you’re in? – Deal me.

Jean
02-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Watching ep.3, and - oh miracle! - figuratively, it starts exactly where I left off my yesterday's speculations.

He’s at least trying to act a little like “the Guv” at times (and failing miserably: his mimicking of Hunt’s line of “I’ll come round your house and stamp on your toys” was practically cringing in its delivery, proving one thing: Tyler is not Hunt) <...>

Quite, but you know what else this means? The invisible chorus hurries to clarify. “Your levels of responsiveness have decreased recently.” – that’s what. “They” whoever they are, didn’t choose this particular moment at random.

Another thing about this ep is that the red herring part, destinated to confuse us further, is creeping in already here (“I live here. I will live here.”). Too good for coincidence, especially “under my kitchen table”.

Almost like the product of a comatose mind, giving itself a problem to solve?

On the other hand, the more Sam moves towards accepting the life in its fullness, the more difficult it is for the audience to keep it in mind that it might very well not be “the reality”, whatever it is that we call this name; thus, new devices are used to give us this guiddy feeling of doubling – then tripling – the onthology of what is happening.

(on a third re-watch I am sure I’ll discover that this motif was creeping in much earlier than this; already now I am beginning to think that this is one of the meanings of the archetypes used).

A different aspect is developed by DD, it is a very subtle thing but I think I understand what he is saying:

I just want to bring up something common in a few tv series and film: predictability. In many a case, moments that are entirely predictable are usually a bad thing (even worse when its whole plots or endings), but sometimes, it can work in the story’s favour, if it’s intentional, at least. Even then, in some cases it still may not work, but if you’re lucky, it may pay off. After all, there’s a difference between guessing what a character will do because it’s an old cliché and you’ve seen it all before, and knowing what a character will do because they’re so well crafted that you almost feel like you know them personally.

Such a moment comes when Gene’s about to drive and Tyler says, “It’s a one-way street…” I adore this moment, knowing the moment Tyler says this Gene’s not going to bother driving the, ahem, legal way and instead just reversing like hell into a pile of boxes, with a bacon butty in his mouth and, to top it off, all to the wonderful sound of Ballroom Blitz. It’s a wonderfully crafted and directed moment of comedy.

There's a lot of this in the film. The happiness of (p)recognition.

DoctorDodge
02-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Thank you, Jean, for giving me even more to think about one of my favourite series. Will read, absorb and comment in detail later.

Shannon
02-17-2012, 06:01 PM
I enjoy reading your commentaries, both of you. But this show just doesn't make me think about a bigger picture and parallels and discussions and such. I view it as a very good television show.

Now, LOST on the other hand ... :)

I just did a re-watch of the first season of the show Mad Dogs with Amber. My first re-watch, her first watch. The second season started recently and I wanted her to watch it with me so we watched the first season. We both gave it 5's. Great show, not so much in the events that happen, but in the acting and in the character development. It's like an onion, with layers and layers that unravel with each episode. I highly recommend it, especially if you guys want a Sam/Hunt reunion. :) And it's short, only four episodes!

DoctorDodge
02-18-2012, 05:11 AM
I enjoy reading your commentaries, both of you. But this show just doesn't make me think about a bigger picture and parallels and discussions and such. I view it as a very good television show.

Now, LOST on the other hand ... :)

The thing is, Shannon, is that the discussion someone can have on Life on Mars is a lot different to the discussion someone can have on Lost. Whereas Lost can provide discussion on what mysteries there are in the show, what foreshadowings are provided in each episode, and what crucial moment of character development a character goes through, Life on Mars is a lot more internal than that. If you notice, me and Jean discuss very little, if at all, on any future developments in our commentaries. What's appealing to me about it is that there's not only a psychological aspect to the show - as Sam has trouble working out what's real and what's not - but it's also very subtle. I must admit, the first time I watched it, this aspect didn't occur to me - like you I had just been watching a very good show, an excellent show even that my family enjoyed. But on the 2nd or 3rd watch, I began to see and appreciate a number of subtleties, not mysteries relating to how Sam got there or how he might get home, but more on Sam himself. That kind of depth and focus on a single character's journey is definitely one of my favourite things about the show, really.

I just did a re-watch of the first season of the show Mad Dogs with Amber. My first re-watch, her first watch. The second season started recently and I wanted her to watch it with me so we watched the first season. We both gave it 5's. Great show, not so much in the events that happen, but in the acting and in the character development. It's like an onion, with layers and layers that unravel with each episode. I highly recommend it, especially if you guys want a Sam/Hunt reunion. :) And it's short, only four episodes!

Yes, I do need to watch that asap. Maybe once I'm done with LoM (again) and The Thick of It, I'll check it out.

Shannon
02-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Episode Seven

Wow. I think something just clicked inside of me. What a great episode. My favorite of the first season. This was the "What happened to the prisoner?" episode in case anyone is curious. Me and Amber both had our guesses as to what happened, and we were right a little later on in the episode, but just the way the episode played out, it was excellent. And then ... without even thinking about it, we had a discussion about the episode. So, there ya' go guys, the show has become discussion worthy. Now, I'm not going to dissect everything, but here are my thoughts:

When Hunt was punishing Ray, I felt it. It had to be public, and it had to be harsh, like a lashing. Firing him would have been less harsh, to tell you the truth. Half wages for a year!? Inventory and coffee making? Bitch work? Ray must really want to be there to be submitted to that kind of embarassment every day (well, at least until the next episode, when he is right back in the fray of things, lol). But that's the thing, Hunt knows he's a great cop, and he wants him on his team. He's not polished, but maybe one day he could be, and that is enough to not want to ruin the man's career.

But of course, that isn't enough for the goodie two-shoes Sam Tyler. I relate with this character, not because I see myself in him, but because I see this type of person --especially in this episode-- in the Air Force every day. Every day I go to work and I see people that want to get other people in trouble because they have dubbed themselves the moral authority. These are the types of people that work alongside you, do the same work as you, yet, when you come into work five minutes late, the are the ones who run (sometimes literally) to the boss and rat you out. For no reason other than they feel it is the right thing to do. Now, maybe part of Sam thought turning in the tape would get him back to his time, but come on Sam, not every little thing you do is going to affect your time flash.

Speaking of which, and this was the main discussion Amber and I had: Sam's choice to turn in the tape was really a dickhead move. Although the superintendent did the non-obvious thing of tearing up the tape, that thought never crossed Sam's mind. In Sam's mind, turning in the tape would have had two outcomes:

1) Get him back home.

2) Ruin everyone that he works with's careers and lives.

Either way, he would be getting rid of all the people he has come to known in this new world. He has so little regard for these people and although he thinks about his decision about what to do wit the tape, I don't feel that he though about it enough. It was too easy for him. After everything we've seen him do so far, the compassion, and the fairness, it all comes down to him being a selfish bastard. He wants what is best for him, and damn the consequences. And then, afterwards, to ask Annie to not abandon him ... Ridiculous. That's not the type of person she is, but I wish it were. She deserves a better "friend" than Sam Tyler, a man who purposefully WANTED to ruin her life.

Although I disliked Sam in this episode, when something (a movie, television show, a book, music, etc.) can make you feel such strong emotion, that's a very powerful thing. Great episode, from top to bottom.

Episode Eight
Amber: 5

And onto the finale! This was Amber's favorite episode of the first season. It was probably my third favorite. Prisoner, Hostage, Finale. Yep, that sounds about right.

I like that the flashbacks through the woods got explained. The woman in the red dress being Annie. Great little twist. Now, because he told his younger self to go back inside and went after his father himself, does that mean that he "changed the past"? We'll see. Because now THAT Young Sam won't have the running through the woods memories, and if THAT Sam gets hit by a car and goes back in time, maybe his Annie rescue attempt won't be so successful because he won't have the same information that current Sam has. Very intriguing. I don't think it will affect the show too much, because hey, there's only eight more episodes total, and I doubt they will get too much further into Little Sam's new life and story. But, who knows.

I called that the father was the bad guy at the snooker club (snooker = pool, right?). Everyone's shot, he's cowering in a corner saying the bad guys ran away. Too easy. But seeing it play out was great. Especially the scene where Sam gives his father the gun ("Noooo, Sam, what are you doing, you idiot!?" lol) and then one secod later the father tries to shoot Sam in the head. Cold as ice. That is one BAD guy.

Great first season, I'll talley up our ratings and let you guys know what we got. Looking forward to the second season. Thanks for dragging me into it, guys!

Jean
02-18-2012, 11:00 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif

(more later)

DoctorDodge
02-18-2012, 05:20 PM
This made me laugh:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0dpk6VTNO1qadjwto1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329700710&Signature=w1CZTdVIxgpHiX30ck3P67U2xKA%3D

Shannon
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
So ...

DoctorDodge
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Don't worry, Shannon. I'm getting back to watching it now. Wonderful review of the last two eps, btw. (Agreed on how awesome episode 7 is, in particular.)

Will discuss both reviews later, after i'm caught up on all my reviews.

DoctorDodge
03-09-2012, 05:07 AM
So, while I'm typing up my analysis for eps 5 and 6 before watching eps 7 & 8 tomorrow, gotta ask: anyone else ready to give some fresh thoughts? Feev? Ricky? Anyone?

alkanto
03-09-2012, 05:30 AM
I have up to ep 6 re-watched...it's just a matter of getting my thoughts typed out. I'd be willing to bet that I can get them done sometime next week. I can't promise a fresh perspective, however...I have seen it already, afterall!

DoctorDodge
03-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Any thoughts are better than no thoughts, Pond. (Especially thoughts that recognise how truly awesome this show is!)

DoctorDodge
03-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Ok, just to keep this thread going, some long overdue thoughts (but not analysis, that will come later though, Jean and Jennifer) on eps 5 and 6:

Although I'm not that interested in football, I really enjoyed this episode, especially when seeing Sam and Gene undercover, some really excellent comedy there. "I could outdrink every one of them toerags and still stop for a pint on my way home!" :lol: Also love that, by the end, they still haven't agreed who was right or not. I love their relationship.
Also enjoyed finding out more about Sam and his dad in this ep, especially since he's "not sure where he is". 5 eps in and we finally discover something pretty important about Sam's past, something that may have lead to him becoming a cop in the first place. I won't go into too much detail on that now - that's for the analysis later - but I really enjoyed that family element explored about Sam and why football was so important to him.

Ep 6 is just as good. The hostage situation didn't interest me as much as the themes it gave us. This is one I'm dying to analyse, actually, just haven't had much of a chance to. Because the themes of heroism, of what we define as heroic, of having Gene laid bare like never before (especially in that one scene where they all think they're going to die in the buildup to 2 o'clock, that's a fucking awesome moment), all of these are key reasons why I freaking love this show. The surface story about the insane man holding everyone hostage, that doesn't interest me. It's the number of layers underneath that I love so much.

I'll watch eps 7 and 8 tonight and post some thoughts on those too. I know Shannon's eager to move on (very understandably, too). I can do analysises later - it's not like I haven't memorised these eps to memory already, after all! :P

DoctorDodge
03-12-2012, 08:34 AM
One more thing: I've just realised that, next April, on the 10th, it'll be 5 years since the finale to Life on Mars was broadcast. (It makes me sad just thinking about it. :( ) So, I'm thinking that we can arrange things so we can discuss the final two eps during that week. So, start series 2 next week with the first two eps. Hope everyone's ok with that.

Shannon
03-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm more than ok with that timeline. :)

DoctorDodge
03-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Fantastico. Ok, well, having just finished re-watching eps 7 and 8, some thoughts on these 2:

Both are really great eps, especially for John Simm, but i think i prefer 7. It might be because the worlds of 1973 and 2006 are colliding like never before, but it also might have to do with the plot in 1973 of a dead man in custody. The former plot strand gets a great performance from John Simm (particularly in the bathroom as he's screaming, "GET ME OUT OF HERE!"), but the 1973 plot gets a great performance from everyone. There's a wonderful tension in the air, as Sam has once again lost any chance of being part of the group and has become against the group throughout the ep, now more than ever. Again, I think this is an ep I really do need to explore in much greater detail, but it's definitely one of my favourites. 10/10

Ep 8 is also good, even if the villain of the piece is a little too obvious (and keeps reminding me of my favourite scene from Spaced). Great performance from John Simm, once again, as all the years from Sam seem to melt away the moment he sees his dad again and becomes reduced to a little boy. It really is great acting, and you really do feel sorry for him by the end. Great finale, and as Shannon pointed out, it nicely ties a few ongoing points in the series, at least.

Will post up an analysis of ep 5 at least later this week, as well as try and comment on Jean and Shannon's reviews.

Shannon
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Don't think of this as work. You don't owe us any lengthy reviews or responses. Enjoy it. :) Post what you want, when you want. Just watch the episodes faster this season! lol

DoctorDodge
03-13-2012, 03:53 AM
It's not something I see as "work", really. I do enjoy analysing each ep and trying to find anything new from one of my favourite shows. There's a huge number of subtle themes, contradictions and parallels that I didn't notice the first time. It's always wonderful when a revelation sneaks up on you on something you've enjoyed watching for ages that makes you think, "Holy shit!" It's less for anyone other than myself that I do the length studies per ep, really.

But you're right, Shannon, those can definitely wait. I'll keep up with simply watching and enjoying the eps. (Don't worry, Jean: there'll be more of my lengthy reviews eventually.)

Jean
03-21-2012, 12:04 PM
:D Just this second finished episode one, really brilliant - moving on to ep 2...

Plus did I mention I was born in 1973? Clearly the year of greatness! :P

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gif

Glad you're enjoying it! Looking forward to whatever thoughts you have on it.

And I love ep 2. For me, it's even better than the excellent setting up given in ep 1.

Yes.

Darkthoughts
03-22-2012, 12:33 AM
I've tried not to read past the episode 1 comments on the first couple of pages, I only got halfway through episode 2 last night, going to watch the rest plus ep 3 hopefully, before I go to work. Thoughts on ep 1 though...

It was very nostalgic for me watching this, I was born in '73 so I remember quite alot of the late seventies...we even had that hideous carpet Sam has in his room :lol: ...so from a props/sets/wardrobe aspect I thought the attention to detail was perfect. Love Gene!! Just such a stereotypical 70's bloke, but I love that even though he acts like a completely anti-social bully, in moments like (ep 2) June's shooting, he's surprisingly emotional (albeit in his own way) - and also getting the old lady neighbour to talk (ep 1), he shows a different side of himself yet again. It's what I love about British tv, we can get close enough to a cliche to poke it, but we don't fully go in for the embrace, if you know what I mean?

I don't think i need to say anything about John Simm because I already knew he was ace, it's great to watch him onscreen. Most hilarious line so far was when (ep 2) they were all chasing the guy from the swimming baths, tackle him to the ground and Chris shouts "Don't touch him!!!!...

...he's got a veruca!" :rofl: There actually used to be posters and tv ads in the 70's about being careful not to catch veruca's at the swimming pool, as if it were some terminal disease.

DoctorDodge
03-22-2012, 01:38 AM
That's brilliant, Lisa! In fact, out of all who've been keeping up with the show, I think you're the first one to get all the 70s references like that that the rest of us might miss, so that's definitely a bonus. We've got an 80s born Brit, a couple of Americans and a Russian loving the show, but you're the first to discuss with us all those little things. I got a lot of the cop show references, but none of the general 70s stuff. I did wonder why Chris reacted the way he did. Didn't stop me from still finding it hilarious, though! :rofl:

Darkthoughts
03-22-2012, 03:10 AM
:D It's so ace, I love remembering all the little things the show brings up like that...oh and...the soundtrack is amazing!!

Just finished ep 3, wish I could take a sickie today, I want to watch all of them but I have to go to work now :( The test card girl freaks me right out!! I was quite scared of her as a kid, so she is not making me a happy shopper at all :lol: I think the nurse's voice, when he hears stuff from hospital going on around him, sounds like Annie ~ I could see it being a case of him both being in a coma and having gone back in time/parallel universe, I don't think they necessarily cancel each other out. It's such a brilliant concept, I don't know why more writers don't go the coma route because the possibilities are endless.

Is it wrong to fancy Gene Hunt?

DoctorDodge
03-22-2012, 03:22 AM
:D It's so ace, I love remembering all the little things the show brings up like that...oh and...the soundtrack is amazing!!

God, yeah! Bought the cd a couple of months back. It's not just the fact that it's great, but how perfectly it's used - Life on Mars playing to Sam waking up in his strange new world, Live and Let Die playing over a chase that goes from slow motion to fast paced (and wonderfully comedic), Ballroom Blitz over "It's a one way street..." So many great moments so perfectly used that it's difficult to pick a favourite.

Just finished ep 3, wish I could take a sickie today, I want to watch all of them but I have to go to work now :( The test card girl freaks me right out!! I was quite scared of her as a kid, so she is not making me a happy shopper at all :lol: I think the nurse's voice, when he hears stuff from hospital going on around him, sounds like Annie ~ I could see it being a case of him both being in a coma and having gone back in time/parallel universe, I don't think they necessarily cancel each other out. It's such a brilliant concept, I don't know why more writers don't go the coma route because the possibilities are endless.

Oh, I totally understand about the Test Card Girl: went into a charity shop once, with a lot of used tvs: on every single one was an image of the Test Card girl! Never going there again! (Unless to take pics! :lol:) I do like that the writers keep you guessing, but I love even more that it's not the main focus of the show. It's less why he's there that has me coming back to watch it again and again and more how Sam gradually changes across the whole series. Absolutely love that.

Is it wrong to fancy Gene Hunt?

Perhaps, but trust me, you're not the first, and on a big fat plus note: it's way better than fancying Edward from Twilight! :lol:

Darkthoughts
03-22-2012, 09:45 AM
:lol: Bang on!

Shannon
03-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Bangarang Ruffio!

DoctorDodge
03-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Let's get this party started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mlG6DVbV_g

Will watch and review eps 1 and 2 of series 2 tonight. (Don't worry, Lisa, they'll be spoiler tagged, just in case.)

Darkthoughts
03-23-2012, 03:06 AM
No need, just this minute finished watching the season 1 finale, I'll be watching season 2 this evening right with you when I get home from work :D

DoctorDodge
03-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Wow! Very impressive! (But, then again, it is Life on Mars.) Just remember: it's 2 eps a week for series 2, so we have time for discussion and all that. Also, I'm planning to watch the finale on the 5th anniversary since it was broadcast.

Darkthoughts
03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
I will probably be on Ashes To Ashes by Monday, but I look forward to the discussion :D It's so addictive, I actually can't stop, been thinking about it at work all day, had the girl in the kitchen with me singing Bowie songs by the end of the lunch shift :lol:

DoctorDodge
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
I really can't blame ya! :lol: First series as Ashes is a weak start compared to the wonderful brilliance of LoM, but series 2 is pretty great to watch, and I love the final series, almost as much as LoM. And please, please, please, let me know your reaction to the finale of Life on Mars when you do watch it. No matter how many times I watch that, it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

Darkthoughts
03-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Oh no, don't say that! I'm bad enough when Sam has a moment as it is!! :lol:
Just watched S2 Ep1...bloody brilliant! the phone call...duuuude!! I'm straight on to the next ep...

Btw, I'm watching them all online through lovefilm, seems that the on demand stuff doesn't always show up when you type in the name of a programme/film, but if you click the instant play link there's tons of stuff on there.

DoctorDodge
03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I know what you mean about how awesome the first ep of series 2 is. "I'm on my own, I'M ALWAYS ON MY OWN!" Simm being fucking A as always. Always love it when they really challenge his character. Admittedly, that's practically every episode, but some eps shake things up for him even more than others, and this is one of them. And yes, the phone call is a classic "holy shit!!!" moment.

Shannon
03-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Damn, I guess I'm the one that needed to catch up now, lol.

Darkthoughts
03-24-2012, 02:10 AM
:lol: What can I say, when I get obsessed I go all Roland over stuff!

Darkthoughts
03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Bloody hell!! James, you know Don - the guy who is Charlie's dad in S2, Ep 5...I know him!! He's Jonty, the dad of one of the girls in my daughter's class. I knew he was an actor but I didn't know he'd been in LoM...just wait 'til I see him!!! :lol:

DoctorDodge
03-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Oh Lisa, that's awesome! Anyone who's appeared in one of the greatest shows ever is, by definition, legendary! Tell him I said so, won't ya? :lol:

Darkthoughts
03-25-2012, 02:26 AM
I certainly will :lol: He's a top bloke actually, and weirdly enough his daughter is called Stella!

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Ok, so Lisa: any thoughts on the finale? I'm dying to know what you thought of it! Either spoiler tagged here or alternatively here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?7614-Life-on-Mars-(UK-US)-Ashes-to-Ashes

Just itching to know what you thought, really! :D

Jean
03-27-2012, 02:20 AM
yes, yes!!

Darkthoughts
03-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Basically, the finale summed up everything I loved about the entire show. To blow the trumpet of British tv writers, I think it's a real trademark of UK tv that we can make an impact with our dramas using subtlety and realism as opposed to extravagance, over played points and unrealistic human behaviour. I loved how Sam and Annie's relationship was...well, just beautiful really. It teased you throughout the seasons with the "will they, won't they?" without over doing it to the point where you were aggravated by it, but I also loved that the writer's were able to show the seriousness of their feelings for each other in the finale with a few honest words and a simple kiss, instead of some overly sentimental diatribe and a sex scene. It's consistently brilliant in that way.

I was so, soooo pleased that Sam didn't stay in the future, that part could have been so sappy or just not fit - because you were jarred a bit by him suddenly being back in our time frame - but even that was perfectly done. As for the Gene Genie, he only has to be onscreen to be perfect! :D

And like I said before, I love the nostalgia of it all - power cuts, rag and bone men...everything was just...OMG!! I REMEMBER THAT!! :lol:

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 08:17 AM
So glad that you loved it, Lisa. It is, to me, one of the greatest endings of all time. Even now, I don't have the words for it. And agreed on all points, naturally.

Darkthoughts
03-27-2012, 08:27 AM
I know what you mean, I want to say all sorts of things about it but don't quite know how to express it!

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Two things I love about it: one, it works perfectly well as an ending on its own, but also...

...there's just enough questions left to continue the story with Ashes to Ashes, or at least, the story of Gene Hunt. I also love how clearly and yet subtlely it sets thing up for Ashes with Tyler shown to be recording his experiences in the real world. A really nice bit of setup that that fortunatly doesn't intrude on the perfection of that last fifteen minutes.

And I'm still so grateful we didn't get anything half as shit as the American ending! That really is a fucking joke compared to ours! :lol:

Jean
03-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Lisalove, will you be interested in reading my review here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?7614-Life-on-Mars-%28UK-US%29-Ashes-to-Ashes&p=635822&highlight=#post635822)? I so love it when you read what bears write - especially if you share your thoughts. Bears adore it.

Also, DD has been writing a brilliant series of articles, both in his blog and in this thread. Highly recommended!

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Cheers, bears! And yes, Lisa, Jean's review of the entire series is a wonderful piece of analysis. I had already watched the show numerous times when I read it, and even I found more than a few things that helped me to see the show in a whole new way after reading Jean's review.

Darkthoughts
03-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Brilliant, Dear Bear I shall make it my priority to read tomorrow morning - I'm off to bed! Night all :couple:

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Currently watching the second ep. God, this show is fucking hilarious at times.

"What do you suggest, Buddha?"
"...league tables?"
"I thought I'd send a signal to Malone." "What kind of signal?" "I thought I'd arrest him."

DoctorDodge
04-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Ok, thoughts on the first 3 eps of series 2: first episode was great, really examining what happens when Sam's really's pushed to the limit and the roles of good cop/bad cop are essentially reversed. I think my thoughts on that were best summed up in the LoM/A2A thread:

I think my favourite line from the episode (when you finish it) is,

"I would never fit anyone up who...who didn't deserve it." I love that line, and the way it's handled. Suddenly, we're given a direct parallel with the 2nd ep of series 1, where Sam stopped Gene from planting evidence on someone he knew would strike again unless he was stopped. Both Sam and Gene faced the same moral problem of whether they should stop a criminal by illegal means - Gene from his knowledge of the criminals M.O., Sam from his knowledge of the future - and ironically, no matter what Sam said in the 2nd episode, he took the same path that Gene planned to take. Of course, the irony isn't lost on Sam, either. No matter how much they argue and fight all the time, Sam and Gene are, at the end of the day, more alike than either would care to admit.

And of course, it shows how much Sam has changed and blended in since he arrived in 1973. Last time he repeated a line of Gene's, back in ep 3 when he said he "would come round his house and stamp on all his toys", it sounded completely unconvincing. Here, he not only means what he said, but he didn't even think that he was repeating something that Gene said until the words were out of his mouth.

Fuck, I love how this show can cram so much into a single line like that, and so naturally, too!

I especially love how it sets things up for later events in the series, including a crucial development for Annie and, best of all, Hyde 2612.

The 2nd ep was also a nice study on mentors, on how we can idolise them and the human being can be different to the heroes in our heads. Both Sam and Gene have to face some uncomfortable truths about their mentors, the men who made them into the coppers they are.

Ep 3's alright, although theme wise doesn't present quite as much as the previous 2 (well, not on the surface, although if i give it enough analysis, I'm sure I'll uncover one or two interesting themes, particularly prejudice, instinct and trust), but great to see the Test Card Girl again, and to see Sam, once again, become the outsider because of one MAJOR mistake.

Will post more thoughts on eps 4, 5 and 6 later.

Jean
04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
DD, your last post is regrettably condemnably short.

DoctorDodge
04-09-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm aware of that. These are just initial thoughts. Don't worry, like the first 4 eps, each ep will get their own lengthy review in time. Just going through the eps atm for the 5th anniversary of the finale tonight. (Something I can still remember watching for the first time on BBC One. Bloody hell, did I go through a hell of a lot of emotions that night, I must say. That, I'll go into more detail later.)

DoctorDodge
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Ep 4: one of the many, many thing I love about this show is the variety of cases it covers in such a short run. First couple of weeks, we had gangsters, albeit with two completely different stories, then we had bombings, and now we have serial killers, copycats, and undercover cops. There's usually an added layer of vulnerability and tension given to undercover stories, especially here with both Sam and Annie investigating a powerful man involved in kinky sex and possibly a murder. I especially liked how it explored Sam's relationship with women in general, giving us not only a little more info on his past, but also his relationship with Annie, a pair that I always love to watch.

Ep 5: oh, I bloody love this ep! Very trippy (more than usual) due to Sam suffering from an overdose, this is essentially the flashback ep: where we get to see what the characters were like before Sam came along. I love that Chris is seen with a really shit moustache, that really sums his character up perfectly: always the man who tries to be like the people he looks up to, which of course at this point would've been Ray, without really trying to find who he is. (Really thinking about it, it kinda makes his character a little sad. Comical, but there's tragedy in that comedy.) I also love that the flashbacks aren't the Lost kind, in that they aren't really flashbacks we're seeing, but memories. As a result, we can see the same event twice from two different perspectives, and see something completely different: what can be a vicious little scrotum in one person's eyes can be a frightened little kid in another's. What also helps is that it's clear that, while for the first time ever, the perspective isn't technically with Sam's all the time, at the same time it is: all the flashbacks and the action away from him, it's made clear that, due to his medication overdose, he's still seeing it all, and therefore, we are, too. That barely covers a few things that I love about this ep in particular, but yeah. Wonderful episode.

Ep 6: one thing that springs to mind here is Philip Glenister. Yes, in a way, he's back to playing Hunt as something of a borderline antagonist, but there's something more, here. The history with his brother is clear throughout the episode, and the fact that this ep's case involves drugs makes it personal to him, even coming close to crossing a line. One thing I love that shows how far Sam & Gene's relationship has come: Sam putting a hammer in Gene's hand, trusting him that he won't do the wrong thing. And of course, Gene doesn't, but would Sam have been able to trust that Gene wouldn't do it back when he first met him? I don't think so, and it shows how far Sam has come in 1973, and how much he's really begun to get used to it. Letting go of Maya and letting Annie know is a major, major step towards truly accepting 1973 for Sam.

Which is why, in the next and final episodes, everything changes....

DoctorDodge
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Ok, just finished watching the finale. Will post some thoughts on ep 7 later, but that finale...shit. I still remember when I first watched it, 5 years ago to the day. The anticipation to finding out whether Sam would make it home or not, of how it would all end, was huge. Even after only 15 episodes, the final one had a lot to live up to.

How did I feel when I first watched it? Went through a whole range of emotions, but what mostly stuck out was a feeling of sheer insanity in the middle part, as Simm's character is pushed to the limit, further than even when he first arrived in his first couple of eps and didn't have a clue what was going on. It was rather fitting that, after some time spent of seeing Sam having adjusted to 1973, that feeling of WTF?!? insanity came back.

The next major emotion was, as I should've expected, total heartbreak. And yet I still wasn't prepared for it. Nothing could've prepared me for it. In fact, no matter how many times I watch this episode, I still get my heartbroken by it, every single time.
Whenever I see Gene, Chris and Ray go down, always brings tears to my eyes. It's a brilliant move on the writers to make Sam's return the exact opposite of what we all expected it to be: a happy reunion with friends and family as Sam can finally live again in the real world. Instead, we see him cut off from everyone, unable to cope with neither the sheer boredom of reality or with the fact that he left his friends behind.

But the final, and biggest emotion I felt, which came as one hell of a surprise?
Sheer fucking joy, and at the boldest of moments: when Sam makes the decision of jumping off that building, ending his life in 2006 in an act of faith to get back to 1973. Of course, that moment of joy wavered for a few moments, as it faded to black...and lingered. Lingered for far too long. In that moment of blackness, I was wondering: wait, did Sam make it back? Is this where they're ending it? Please don't let it end here, please let it continue, oh thank god, there he is. That's what went through my head during that moment, which I strongly suspect was the creators' intention: making you wonder if Sam's leap had been really worth it.

Of course, we see him rescue his friends, but better than that: we see him at peace. He knows where he wants to be, and where he belongs. Finally, he's accepted 1973 as his home. I especially loved when he went to the pub and Nelson was there to greet him. "Great to have you back, mon bruv!" As if Nelson knew. The fact that we never truly knew if there was more to Nelson than met the eye was definitely a major appeal to his character, so I liked they still kept his mystery and ambiguity intact.

And the kiss: finally! Another moment of sheer joy to watch. (And with a rainbow in the background, something that took me a couple of viewings to notice.) And when Sam and Gene drove off, leaving us behind, bickering as ever, with Life on Mars playing, I felt both incredibly sad and happy at the same time. Because my favourite show had ended, but bloody hell, did it end perfectly!

I knew what I had watched had to be one of the greatest endings in tv history then, and 5 years later, having watched a few more shows end, including Lost, Ashes to Ashes and The Sopranos, I'd say it's possibly the greatest ending. Wonderful stuff.

DoctorDodge
05-09-2012, 07:20 AM
FALCON-BUMP!

Has anyone else watched any more of this yet at all? What about bears? Or am I being punished for not writing more of my analyses?

Shannon
05-09-2012, 07:53 AM
The second season sorta fell off my list of things to watch. I'll get to it soon. Watching Sherlock, if that's any concellation, lol

DoctorDodge
05-09-2012, 07:57 AM
To be honest Shannon, it is, and I'm pretty sure Jennifer would agree with me there, as Sherlock is up there with Life on Mars and Doctor Who as being one of my favourite series ever. I hope you're enjoying that, too.

pathoftheturtle
05-09-2012, 08:28 AM
But I've long since seen all that, so no consolation to offer at all, except more campaign promises. :blush:

DoctorDodge
05-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Well, I'd still be interested in your thoughts path, if you do ever get the chance to watch it. Unlike a lot of us, I think you're the only one who actually watched the remake, so like Lisa with her genuine experience of 70s life, it'll be another unique point of view.

Jean
05-09-2012, 08:36 AM
bears are here

they got entangled in their problems - but they'll be back to the discussion very soon

DoctorDodge
05-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Excellent to know, bears. As long as this thread isn't forgotten about and we can get some more great discussion out of it, I'm happy.

alkanto
05-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Speaking of....I need to start series 2, officially. Now that I am back home, and given how shite my internet connection is on any given day...I'll probably have plenty of time to catch up before July! Plus, now that I don't have classes to worry about, I'll actually be able to contribute and type up actual reviews of the eps!

DoctorDodge
05-25-2012, 04:46 AM
This is just made of total win:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380681_220536021390834_100003033134695_360595_1252 621100_n.jpg

Ok, hopefully will work on that analysis tonight or tomorrow of ep 5. "Once a red, always a red." Yep, definitely need to finish it asap!

Shannon
05-25-2012, 08:12 AM
I need to start series/season 2 as well. June is coming up, and I'm taking the whole month off. I see myself watching it (and probably starting Doctor Who from the 2005 season as recommended) then.

DoctorDodge
05-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Hey, that'd be epic, Shannon, on both counts! I hope you enjoy it as much as the first series, and I especially hope that you like the ending, it's one of my favourites. Also glad you've been talked round into possibly watching Who from the start of the revival and not the original series, too. Anyway, cheers for the update!

Brice
05-27-2012, 03:38 AM
You DON"T want him to watch the original DW? *panics*

DoctorDodge
05-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Not as an introduction to the show Brice, no. Certainly not as someone who wants to watch the show from the very beginning. (Although I will say that that first episode is still one of the greatest first eps of all time, along with Life on Mars (no matter what Fernando and Merlin say! :lol:)) The very cheap look of the show is something of an aquired taste, and it's understandably something a lot of people find difficult to get past. Not that the early eps of the new series have aged well, but they're not quite so bad.

Brice
05-28-2012, 10:34 AM
But it is the old DW that made me love the show. :(

DoctorDodge
05-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Me too. A lot of my favourite stories are from the classic. But, for someone like Shannon, watching from the beginning is not ideal. I bet, out of all the hardcore fans in this world, a very small percentage of them have watched the whole classic series from the beginning to the end. A lot of us have watched the beginning and the end, (and, with the greatest seasons of the show being season 12, 13 and 14 easily, the middle over and over again,) but not the whole stuff in between. Most of us have watched random serials in order. Personally, I find the classic series as awesome as the new lot, both have their strengths and weaknesses. The new series is just a more convenient jumping on point.

Brice
05-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Fair enough! Shannon, I however think you should watch EVERY ep in a marathon with no sleep until you finish.

alkanto
05-28-2012, 05:19 PM
James and I figured out how long that would take a while ago. It's something like 20 days straight...and that's just the classic series :lol:

Brice
05-28-2012, 05:23 PM
So a good meth binge should be enough to make it possible.

Shannon
05-28-2012, 11:34 PM
For my June break:

TV shows to watch:
Doctor Who (2005): Season 1
Breakout Kings: Season 2
Being Human (US): Season 2
Life On Mars (UK): Season 2
Awake: Season 1
The Finder: Season 1

- Finish my short story for In Mint Condition.

- Finish adding Justin Brooks' book(s) to my Stephen King spreadsheet. I'm adding new "short works (first appearances)" and "short works (reprints)" sections. Yay me, more work! lol

DoctorDodge
05-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Quite the tv list. You'll have to let me know how Awake is, that looked like a good idea for a tv series. No surprises it's been cancelled, then. It's getting to a point where I just don't bother checking out any new tv series, really.

Shannon
05-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I know what you mean. Why bother putting in the time and effort into a tv show that's going to get cancelled halfway into the first season? We saw the first episode of Awake when it started. It was good but not as good as the trailer was.

Shannon
06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Just finished Life On Mars ...

Awesome:
- Ray's PTSD
- Gene Hunt: Murder Suspect?

Not so awesome:
- The ending

It was a good ending, I was just expecting something ... more. This is how I see it ... Sam established that the 1973 world was "real", but when his friends/partners/ANNIE were literally being shot up, he decided to go into the light. Yay, all is better, the fake world is gone, the real world is ... fake? Oh, darn, I don't like it here in the fake real world anymore, so I'll just jump off a building and go back to the real 1973 world because that option is of course still open. He flip flops too much, and he doesn't truly care about his friends/partners/ANNIE. Whether they were real or fake, they SEEMED real to him, and that's all that should have mattered.

As for what I was expecting ... "real" time-travel, not some alternate "limbo" dimension that people go to when they're dead and/or in comas. I wanted him to be forced to leave the 1973 world because he didn't want to. He was too close to Gene, he was too close to Annie. And then, back in real time (2006/7), he would seek them out, and they would all be dead/married/etc. Sad ending, yay.

No worries, good show. The first season was a 5/5, second season was a 4/5.

Thanks! What was the ending for the American show? Oh, YouTube here I come!

Jean
06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
but Shannon, it's the point!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are no easy answers, no complicated answers either, because answers are bullshit

there's no limbo just as well as there is no time travel, there's nothing but pure existential choice, anything else is a crutch that dims the issue, and the issue is a man standing alone before God and doing what the fuck he feels is right

I think I tried to express it more coherently in my big review somewhere (I really wish you would read it, but I am too drunk now to find it

Shannon
06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
lol, I plan on reading everyone's reviews. :)

Just watched the last ten minutes of the US version. LOL @ "Life On Mars" lololol.

DoctorDodge
06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
lol, I plan on reading everyone's reviews. :)

Just watched the last ten minutes of the US version. LOL @ "Life On Mars" lololol.

I know, right?

As for the original ending, I freaking love it. Sam went on an amazing journey, from beginning to end, exploring not just 1973 but also who he was, as he went from being a total souless dick from 2006 to someone who fought, hated, loved. It took him forever to realise that 1973 was exactly where he belonged.

Jean summed it up better in his amazing review here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?7614-Life-on-Mars-%28UK-US%29-Ashes-to-Ashes&p=635822&viewfull=1#post635822

As for answers...well, I will say that sequel show Ashes to Ashes did provide them in the end (which means that Jean probably won't like it after all). Although I found the answers satisfying, you probably wouldn't. Especially if you want any kind of belief that any of it may have involved time travel. Ironically, that ended just a couple of days before Lost did, too.

Brice
06-08-2012, 11:25 PM
but Shannon, it's the point!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are no easy answers, no complicated answers either, because answers are bullshit

there's no limbo just as well as there is no time travel, there's nothing but pure existential choice, anything else is a crutch that dims the issue, and the issue is a man standing alone before God and doing what the fuck he feels is right

I think I tried to express it more coherently in my big review somewhere (I really wish you would read it, but I am too drunk now to find it

This statement sums up life pretty nicely (not the show). Even more confusing from an agnostic viewpoint. LOL

Answers ARE bullshit; we still want them though.

Shannon
06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
I spoiled Ashes To Ashes on accident. :( Was IMDBing Philip Glenister to see what else he's been on and I saw that he played Gene Hunt in another TV show. I was like Wow, what's this!? Ashes To Ashes!? Wow, it's got Ray and Chris too! Holy shit ... What ... Oh ... No! Stop reading! Why did I read that!? NOOOO no nononononononoooo!

So ... yeah, there's that. :(

Wow ... on second thought, just watched this video (Ashes To Ashes spoilers!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPuSmwsbS7M

And that show looks REALLY good. Does Gene Hunt get to show his Grey's Anatomy side?

DoctorDodge
06-09-2012, 04:23 AM
Personally, I don't think it's quite as good as Life on Mars, particularly the first series, as the show was still finding its feet (and new main character Alex was really annoying at times)...but yeah, overall, it's pretty good. I think Gene is a changed man 8 years later and now without Sam Tyler. Oh, he's still the classic northern BAStard! that he was in LoM, but he's also a man who's learned a lot from Tyler, too.

Oh, and the final episode? Amazing performances from the whole cast on that one, especially Glenister, when we find out who Gene Hunt really is. Really sad to say goodbye to some of my favourite characters after 5 years of watching. A fitting one though, I thought. You may yet enjoy it, Shannon.

Shannon
06-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I think I might give it a go this next cycle of shows. What Amber and I do, most of the time, we download/burn the shows that are on TV now, and then after it ends, we are able to watch the whole season in a day or two while we download/burn the current shows at THAT time.

WATCHING RIGHT NOW:
Episodes: Season 2 - watched 3
Eureka: Season 5 - watched 7
Killing, The: Season 2 - watched 11
Pauly D Project, The: Season 1 - watched 10
Total Blackout: Season 1 - watched 6
Awake: Season 1 - watched 1
Being Human (2011): Season 2 - watched 3
Doctor Who (2005): Season 1
Finder, The: Season 1 - watched 3
Hatfields & McCoys
League, The: Season 1 - watched 5
Touch: Season 1 - watched 9
South Park: Season 16 - watched 7

EXTRA SHOWS IF THE NEXT CYCLE'S SHOWS HAVEN'T ENDED YET:
Battlestar Galactica: Season 2
Ashes To Ashes: Season 1
Fringe: Season 1
Sons Of Anarchy: Season 1
Breaking Bad: Season 1 (been so long since I watched the first season, gotta start over)
The Wire: Season 1

NEXT CYCLE:
Hell's Kitchen: Season 19
Love In The Wild: Season 2
MasterChef: Season 3
Saving Hope: Season 1
Take Me Out: Season 1
666 Park Avenue: Season 1
Chicago Fire: Season 1
Cult: Season 1
Emily Owens, M.D.: Season 1
Falling Skies: Season 2
Family Tools, The: Season 1
Following, The: Season 1
Go On: Season 1
Goodwin Games, The: Season 1
How To Live With Your Parent: Season 1
Last Resort: Season 1
Mob Doctor, The: Season 1
Nashville: Season 1
Neighbors, The: Season 1
Partners: Season 1
Revolution: Season 1
Vegas: Season 1
Wilfred: Season 2
Zero Hour: Season 1

DoctorDodge
06-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Sounds good to me. Some time is needed, I think, to let the ending of Life on Mars sit for a while, especially as some time has also passed in both worlds, 1 year in the "real world", 8 years in Hunt's.

DoctorDodge
06-18-2012, 03:53 PM
So more than a little overdue, here is my analysis for the fifth ep, which focuses on football. Now I don’t really give much of a shit about football, to be honest, but as far as storytelling goes, like many other subjects that bore me, a number of layers can be given. One is the obvious, the focus of the crime: hooliganism. However, as Sam points out, hooliganism shouldn’t be the only thing to focus on. Another thing is how people can bond over a simple pleasure in life just as much as they can ruin the enjoyment of it by taking things too far – in this case, watching a simple game. Once again, we’re given another contradiction of life: something that can make people happy can also make men fight and hate each other.

Among all of this, we also learn more about Sam. Naturally continuing a theme from the last episode, we specifically find out more about his early life with his parents: in the previous episode, it was his mum, in this, it’s his dad, despite the fact that we never see him in this ep. We just learn a lot about him, including that he wasn’t around much, which meant that the time they did spend together was really important to Sam, and that Sam doesn’t know where he is. I can’t tell you how much I love that that’s exactly the way Sam phrases it – no dodging the issue, no getting angsty about it when he’s asked, it’s just something he’s just had to live with for nearly his whole life. That lets us know a lot more about Sam in just one line that a lot of tv shows take an entire episode to flesh out. It gives us reason to wonder why he became a cop, and I mean really became a cop instead of letting a childhood dream die, that he might just have had a deeply personal reason to do it. Not that its stated in the episode, it’s really just a theory, but it’s one I genuinely believe the writers have given us, purely because, unlike so many other series I’ve watched where similar revelations are given but in a much more “dramatic” way, one that tries so hard to exploit so much drama out of it that it all eventually becomes sickening, in this series the writers assume we’re not idiots and just let us form our own theories based on one line.

Have I mentioned how much I bloody love this show yet?

Another aspect I love is how football is used. As I've said before, I’m not the biggest fan of football, but football hooliganism is a great subject to tackle when done right, and…well, no surprises that the writers handled it completely right here. Because we see clearly that there’s nothing wrong with the game itself, in fact it’s something great that can bring people together. But like many great things, all it takes is a few stupid people to ruin it for everyone else. We see how this affects Sam more than anyone, as he knows what’s coming, and how much worse it’s going to get. It’s bad now, with a boy’s father ending up dead, but it’s gonna get so much worse, and a lot more innocent people are gonna end up dead by the hands of not gangs, but police, because of what's happening now. It’s interesting that there’s nothing directly personal to Sam in this story, like Sam stumbling across the body of a father of someone he knew as a kid or some bullshit like that, and yet it still affects him on multiple levels – as a policeman, as a fan of football, as someone who lost a father at far too young an age. Wonderfully complex and emotional writing of the character that avoids being exploitive.

But it’s not all serious drama - it is Life on Mars, after all. One thing I have to mention is the excellent comedy writing given to us this ep by Sam and Gene working undercover in a pub, where Sam expects to easily talk to the customers but of course, even with his love of football, finds it difficult to blend in, while Hunt unsurprisingly blends in perfectly. Actually, thinking about it, there’s really nothing different about that: Sam has been, and will continue to be, the outsider in this world. The one who finds it difficult to talk to people, to blend in. Even (or should that be “especially”?) as the professional, undercover work in this world isn’t exactly his specialty.

So, at the end of the day, we’re given an ep that uses football as a perfect way to explore how something that brings people together for the best reasons can also turn people against each other for the most stupid of reasons, both on society as a whole and, just as importantly, on our main character Sam. It’s a testament to Life on Mars really that it’s not one of my personal favourites and yet it’s still something I can find huge enjoyment in both watching and exploring its multiple layers.