PDA

View Full Version : Songs Of Our Lives...what are they?

She-Oy
11-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Ya know those bastard characters on tv and movies that seem to have soundtracks to there lives that play while they are walking down the street yet they have no pods connected into their ears?....yeah, well I'd like to think we all have those, we just can't hear them outloud.

So what's yours?

Here's my setlist:

Happy To Be Alive - The Art of Noise ~ Ceelo Green

Pissed Off At the World - Honky's Ladder ~ Afghan Whigs or RATM ~ Killing In the Name

Horny - Gett Off ~ Prince

Helpless - Don't Give Up ~ Peter Gabriel

Cheeky - American Girl ~ Tom Petty

Defiant - World Leader Pretend ~ REM

So that's all I can come up with at the moment, but what I really want to know are what are some of yours?

What's the soundtrack to your life?

Storyslinger
11-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Thoughtful~Serenity~Godsmack

Happy~Every Rose Has It's Thorns~Poison

Disappointed~In My Dreams~REO Speedwagon

Belittled~Dust In The Wind~Kansas

Pissed or Angry~Ten Thousand Fist~Disturbed

Everyday Whatever~Last Resort~Papa Roach

Awesome thread She-Oy

Darkthoughts
11-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Starting over Ramble On ~ Led Zeppelin
Happy No Rain ~ Blind Melon
Sad Home ~ Sheryl Crow
Night out Mary Jane's Last Dance ~ Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers/A Wish Away ~ The Wonderstuff
Pissed off Midlife Crisis ~ FNM/Break Stuff ~ Limp Bizkit/Self Esteem ~ The Offspring
Chillin' out Runnin' ~ The Pharcyde/Drivin' On 9 ~ The Breeders
Horny Temptation ~ Prince and the Revolution (gotta have a bit of Prince, good shout She-Oy!!)
Daydreaming Shine On You Crazy Diamond ~ Pink Floyd
Everyday Deluxe ~ Lush

sarajean
11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
ooooh, lisa, you picked drivin' on 9. :wub:

i'll post my list later.

Darkthoughts
11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I love the Last Splash - the whole album rocks, but Drivin' On 9 has a special place in my heart, especially in the summertime :wub:

Which reminds me - I left out Jane's Addiction!!
Summertime Rolls would also go in my chill out section ;)

Letti
11-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Usually, just because - I feel the beauty of life deep in my cells without any reasons: Patrick Hernandez - Born to be alive

I loved it even when I had no idea about its meaning. It was always on my mind.

And anyway it's a damn good thread.

Girlystevedave
11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Angry - "Ha Ha You're Dead" - Green Day
Regretful - "Rocking Chair" - Oasis
Lost - "SOS" - Good Charlotte
And soooooo much stuff in between.

Sympathy For The Devil
12-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Happy - Good day Sunshine - The Beatles

Angry - Kick out The Jams - MC5

Falling in love - Love - John lennon

Breaking up - Since iv been lovin you - Led Zeppelin

Partying - Paradise City - Guns n Roses

Chillin out - Please do not let me go - Ryan Adams

Drivin - Jumpin jack flash - The Rolling Stones

I cant think of anymore scenarios.

Frunobulax
12-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Angry- Paradise Pachinko I by Merzbow
Falling in love- Kanske Jar... by Jens Lekman
Driving (slow)- To Here Knows When by My Bloody Valentine
Driving (fast)- 2 Dollars by Venetian Snares

sai blaine
12-13-2007, 06:50 AM
The three for me that come to mind at the moment are...

Solitude - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams by Green Day

Depressed or alone - Bring Me to Life by Evanescence

Out of Love - Do You Know by Enrique Iglesias

Girlystevedave
03-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I couldn't think of a place to put this,so....
While there is a lot of music that I love, there are certain songs that really make me feel a lot of emotion when I listen to them.
For instance, "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley and the Wailers. I cannot ever listen to that song without my heart being filled with a feeling of celebration and mourning at the same time. I also feel the same about John Lennon's "Imagine" and, although I'm not neccessarily a fan of classical music, "Canon in D" impacts me as well. It seems that, even without lyrics, it sums up every emotion in life.
I mean, how can one song embody so much feeling in it?
Does anyone else have certain songs that do this to them?

mia/susannah
03-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Depressed or upset about the death of my daughter, I listen to Holes in the floor of Heaven by Steve Warner.

When happy, anything by the group Alabama.

Unfound One
03-16-2008, 08:32 PM
right now my top songs are...
paper planes - m.i.a.
knights of cydonia - muse
say (all i need) - onerepublic
time to pretend - mgmt
i don't feel like dancing - scissor sisters

top songs of all time though...
fly me to the moon - frank sinatra
send me on my way - rusted root
freedom - rage against the machine
goodbye blue sky - pink floyd
passenger seat - death cab for cutie

wow. i knew i had an eclectic taste in music, but damn.

also, girly - the song hoppipolla by sigur ros does that for me. it's in icelandic, so i have no idea what the lyrics are, but the song sounds like heaven to me.
and i don't even believe in heaven.
if you haven't heard sigur ros, check 'em out (they're especially excellent when you're stoned) ;)

obscurejude
03-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Right now, about anything by Elliott Smith describes how I'm feeling.

Between the Bars
Say Yes
Needle in the Hay
Pitseleh
Fond Farewell to A Friend
King's Crossing
Lets Get Lost

devo133
03-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Happy No Rain ~ Blind Melon

Pissed off [I]Midlife Crisis ~ FNM/

I listen to Midlife Crisis when I'm in a good mood and No Rain when I'm not. It's funny how we all can have different interpretations of the same song.

devo133
03-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Right now, about anything by Elliott Smith describes how I'm feeling.

Between the Bars
Say Yes
Needle in the Hay
Pitseleh
Fond Farewell to A Friend
King's Crossing
Lets Get Lost

Yeah I was listening to lot of ES when i was in the dumps in few weeks ago. I stopped when I felt better. Could there be a correlation here? lol. Nah association is not necessarily causation. ES just makes it feel ok to be sad. But i dunno sometimes I think we like to wallow in our misery. Then it's harder to get of out it the deeper we go. So cheer up and save Elliott Smith for another day! Might I suggest some Sundays to put you on your path to recovery :)

YouTube - Life Goes On-The Sundays

ack the embedded link isn't working. Click on the link on top of the player.

Samanthita
03-17-2008, 03:29 PM
passenger seat - death cab for cutie

if you haven't heard sigur ros, check 'em out (they're especially excellent when you're stoned) ;)

I second both of these. I've been on a Death Cab kick lately, but it seems that one has been played more often than others.
Also, I agree that Sigur Ros is great. A friend put Untilted #4 and 8 from () on a mix tape for me. I forgot about it, then bought the cd a year or two later. I cried when I heard #4 again, it just makes me really emotional.

Happy - "Dog on Wheels" Belle & Sebastian
Upset - "A Better Son/Daughter" Rilo Kiley
Angry - "The Need for Repetition" Between the Buried and Me
Driving music - "Those who Stayed" and "Those Who Left" Murder By Death. Or the "Australasia" album by Pelican
Content - "True Blue" Bright Eyes

Lately it's been a lot of random Bright Eyes, The Decemberists, and Radiohead. Most of the music I listen to is either really depressing or really loud. I don't have time for happy music. I attempted to make a mix cd of cheerful songs once, it turned out horribly. haha.

Unfound One
03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
it's nice to have a fellow indie fan here, if i may presume to classify you (or at least your music choices) :)

Untilted #4 and 8 from ()

Untitled #4 is aka Njosnavelin (Nothing Song) and it's one of my favorites, good call Sam :clap:

Scoogs
03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
A few days ago I put () into my CD player and listened to it for the first time in well over a year, maybe even close to two. I'd forgotten how interesting the are.
I play them when I'm trying to really focus on something.
Mogwai or Godspeed You Black Emperor also work well.

Coming up with a setlist is harder than I thought it would be.
I always over think playlists...

Samanthita
03-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Hah! So they do have names. I've always seen the songs on that cd referred to as Untitled.

LadyHitchhiker
03-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Here's a few that run through the jukebox in my head constantly
White and nerdy - weird al yankovic
Wild World - Cat Stevens
Any Jimi Hendrix song
Naked and famous - presidents of the united states of america
aeroplane over the sea - neutral milk hotel
build me up buttercup - every version
Com'on eileen - don't remember who by
Safety Dance - another one I don't remember who it's by
Whip It - Devo
I just called to say I love you - stevie wonder

obscurejude
03-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Devo, I feel bad more than I feel better. I definitely agree with your point though. Its hard to put Elliott on when I'm experiencing the occasional good day, but I usually do anyways. He's got some positive stuff *thinks real hard* "Thirteen" is positive. Hmmm... uhhhh... "Coming Up Roses" Okay, I guess thats about it.

Girlystevedave
04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
So I'm listening to The Ataris' cover of "The Boys Of Summer" and every single time I hear this song, it will make me think of the last summer vacation I spent in Florida with my family. It was 2003 or 2004? It makes me happy and sad to think of those nights spent sitting next to the ocean with my brother and sister......a fattie in my hand and the clearest feeling I would ever have in my head.

Man, growing up sucks.:cry:

Girlystevedave
04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Geez...yet another one: John Denver's "Country Roads" will always make me think of my grandmother's funeral. The song started playing when I was in the grocery store one day and made me tear up. I was like: "Damn you Country Roads!"

cozener
05-01-2008, 11:06 PM
My theme song would have to be Space Lord by Monster Magnet :cyclops:

http://www.uppercutmusic.com/artist_m/monster_magnet_lyrics/space_lord_lyrics.html

Girlystevedave
05-19-2008, 10:56 AM
A song that will forever remind me of my dog, because I say it to her all the time:

~Deftones / "Rx Queen"

"Cause you're my girl...and that's alright."

I'm sad.

Girlystevedave
05-28-2008, 04:41 PM
I was in my car earlier listening to Green Day's "When I Come Around", and it's funny how the song automaticall reminds me of: Being 14 years old, sitting and watching MTV in the early morning after staying up all night on summer vacation. It would be around 5 or 6 in the morning and my dad would be getting ready for work. I remember the bathroom having the distinct smell of cigarettes and my dad's Brut aftershave, and the kitchen smelled of coffee.

Aaah...memories.