PDA

View Full Version : Beavis & Butthead are back!

mae
10-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Yes, tonight is the premiere of the new Beavis & Butthead series on MTV!

When it started airing on MTV in 1993, Beavis and Butt-Head was more than just a popular animated series, it was a cultural phenomenon. Its subversive humor centered around two terminally moronic teenagers became a hit with MTV’s viewership, not to mention a lightning rod for controversy and a focal point for discussion on the state of American culture: was the show promoting ignorance or a sly commentary on the inanity of contemporary society? The debate continued throughout the 1990s as Mike Judge’s dimwitted creations rocketed to stardom.

Tonight a new episode of Beavis & Butt-Head will air on MTV for the first time in 14 years. It remains to be seen whether the new incarnation can connect with a snarkier Internet-bred generation, but to mark the occasion, we thought it would be fitting to take a look back at the show’s roots. Cartoon Brew invited the show’s original producer, John Andrews, to write a personal essay recalling his experiences as a key member of the original crew and tell us about the behind-the-scene challenges of producing the show in the early nineties.

Andrews was hired in 1992 to produce MTV’s new series Beavis & Butt-Head and stayed for several years. He co-produced the 1996 feature Beavis & Butt-Head Do America with Abby Terkuhle. After a subsequent 13-year run at Klasky Csupo, he is now at Six Point Harness running 6 Point Media.
Much more: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/how-beavis-saved-my-life-by-john-andrews.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKNBbBopoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX4aeCZWhTY

Iwritecode
10-27-2011, 07:03 AM
I luv B&B. It was one of my favorite shows growing up. My friends and I still quote them to this day.

"You said wood. Uh huh huh huh."

pathoftheturtle
10-27-2011, 10:04 AM
<_<

<-- H8R

But I must say, although B&B were once the worst thing on Mtv, these days they might be the best thing on there. Sad.

Merlin1958
10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
<_<

<-- H8R

But I must say, although B&B were once the worst thing on Mtv, these days they might be the best thing on there. Sad.

Oh definitely!!! As opposed to "Jersey Shore" which is B&B x 3 and reality!!!! LOL LOL

mae
10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
I've always didn't understand people who didn't like B&B. They're great satire. Plus they're pretty funny. Didn't get to see the new episode yet, though.

Erin
10-28-2011, 04:51 AM
I cracked up at the episode last night. Especially the Twilight stuff. "Being a werewolf hurts my bones". :lol:

fernandito
10-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Hell yeah ! I loved last night's episode !

One of my favorite moments was when Butthead was talking in that soft voice while Beavis was trying to get at him, when they were in the gym : "It's okay Beavis, cry, it alleviates the pain." hahahahahaha

Erin
10-28-2011, 06:48 AM
:rofl:

I also loved the 16 & Pregnant/Teen Mom stuff while they were watching the music video. "Wouldn't it be better if they showed them getting pregnant? huh huh huh..."

pathoftheturtle
10-28-2011, 08:50 AM
I've always didn't understand people who didn't like B&B. They're great satire. Plus they're pretty funny. Didn't get to see the new episode yet, though.Well, funny is subjective, and satire comes in different varieties. I don't see how this is constructive. Only Mike Judge work I really love is Office Space.

fernandito
10-28-2011, 08:56 AM

I also loved the 16 & Pregnant/Teen Mom stuff while they were watching the music video. "Wouldn't it be better if they showed them getting pregnant? huh huh huh..."

Haha !

I can't remember the exact wording, but remember Butthead saying how he feels bad for the little kid because he's essentially being tortured by monsters for the sake of a good music video ? "You can take it son, you're 1 1/2 years old!"

ICry4Oy
10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
I've always adored Beavis & Butthead!!! Even have 'em memorialized in ink on my lower right leg.

Sooo glad they have brought the fire back! All the old faves were there...the clueless dirty hippie teacher.....ex-military coach...old yard dude who has Hank Hill's voice!!!!!!! The "werewolf" biting them was a hoot & a half as were the after effects of the bites. And old Beavis "and I'm not crying now either". LOLOL!!!11 Can't wait to see the Cornholio!!! episode and surely Diarrhea can't be far behind!...or KICK ME IN THE JIMMY!!!!

mae
10-28-2011, 05:14 PM
That was beyond my wildest expectations! Just like in the good ol' '90s! Loved it, very funny, as if the intervening 14 years were 14 months... I was surprised that it was HD in the old 4:3 format, not 16:9 and used the old SD animation for some of the video commentary segments. But apart from that little thing the show is perfect! And now thanks to it, I can't stop watching and listening to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g

mikeC
11-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Great first episode!
It's amazing that they were considered crude and terrible and the worst of the worst back in the 90s and they are showing clips of real people that are way worse than they ever were.
I still feel guilty watching mtv, I wish it was on another channel.

fernandito
11-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Looking forward to tonight's episode ! :D

mae
11-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Nice avatar! :thumbsup: