PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Scary Movies: Rate your top five all time...............

Merlin1958
10-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Since Halloween is upon us may be cool, and informative for those late night "Scare-a-thons" to post your top five scariest movies of all time. One rule, they must be supernatural related flicks. No "slasher" films or "thrillers". Gotta be an "Other-worldly" premise.

I'll start:

1. The Exorcist
2. Halloween (Original)
3. The Omen (Original)
4. Night of the Living Dead (Original)
5. The Shining (Made for TV version)

Jean
10-24-2011, 10:27 PM
since we are specifically talking about the scariest, not just the best, I'll have to omit Pontypool and a couple of others I love... here are the scariest:

1. El orfanato
2. The Dark
3. The Others
4. The Blair Witch Project (the original)
5. Madhouse

Merlin1958
10-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Isn't the "Scariest" move the best of the scary movies? Did I miss something? Distinctly possible given my age and proclivity for literalism. Or is it the exclusion of non-supernatural related flicks that prompted your response? As always, "Alfred" I respect your thoughts and opinions.

Jean
10-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Isn't the "Scariest" move the best of the scary movies? This is a good question and one I don't have a ready answer for. On the one hand, yes, what's the point of a horror movie if it is not scary? On the other, some of my favorite horrors - such as Who Can Kill a Child, Escalofrio, Pontypool or The Last Exorcism are not really scary, they are just - interesting, thoroughbly enjoyable, well developed, directed and acted; in other words, just good films. Also, such a film as Madhouse, which scared me shitless (there were a couple of moments I still do not want to remember when the light is off, and I watched it some three years ago...), is not a really good movie, it has a silly story, and all the rest of what there is to it is pretty average.

OchrisO
10-25-2011, 03:05 AM
1. Event Horizon(sci-fi-ish, but one of the few movies to legitimately creep me the fuck out in many years.)
2. Pet Sematary(That kid playing Gage is creepy as shit).
3. Paranormal Activity(these movies seem to get a bad rep, but I think they are quite creepy, especially the first one)
4. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth(I pick this one because it highlights Pinhead at his creepiest and he has some chilling lines in it like: "Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh....Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume. To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart. ")
5. Phantasm(a bit corny at some points, but The Tall Man really messed with me as a kid).

Jean
10-25-2011, 03:12 AM
never heard of Phantasm, have looked it up. Sounds like something I might want to watch

OchrisO
10-25-2011, 03:18 AM
never heard of Phantasm, have looked it up. Sounds like something I might want to watch

If you have trouble finding a copy, someone has uploaded it to youtube in 9 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FblaGd7nEEY (the first part)

Jean
10-25-2011, 03:37 AM
thank you!

OchrisO
10-25-2011, 03:54 AM
thank you!
Most welcome. I will warn you, though...in the parts where it is corny, it is super corny, but The Tall Man still creeps me out to this day for some reason. He made me very wary of morticians as a kid.

Ben Staad
10-25-2011, 04:21 AM
In no particular order:

1) Into the Mouth of Madness
2) Event Horizon
3) Lord Of Illusions Prince of Darkness
4) Jacobs Ladder
5) Flatliners

P.S. Here is a co-winner in my top five because it scared my spitless in my youth...Gargoyles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Kz6G8174w

P.P.S. I'm amending my list to include Prince of Darkness and exclude Lord Of Illusions.

OchrisO
10-25-2011, 04:42 AM
In no particular order:

1) Into the Mouth of Madness
2) Event Horizon
3) Lord Of Illusions
4) Jacobs Ladder
5) Flatliners

P.S. Here is a co-winner in my top five because it scared my spitless in my youth...Gargoyles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Kz6G8174w

Oh man, how about that part with the eyes in Event Horizon?

Also. I forgot about Jacob's Ladder or it might have made mjy list. I can hardly watch this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXXbIOc9h4g

Ben Staad
10-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Oh man, how about that part with the eyes in Event Horizon?

That entire movie always give's me the willies.

Also. I forgot about Jacob's Ladder or it might have made mjy list. I can hardly watch this scene:

Neither can I...but for some strange reason I cannot turn away.

Heather19
10-25-2011, 07:29 AM
1. The Shining (no matter how many times I watch it, it still creeps me out)
2. Paranormal Activity
3. Ils (aka Them)
4. The Fourth Kind
5. The Others

Like Jean, these aren't my top horror films. But they're the ones to scare me the most.

Iwritecode
10-25-2011, 07:33 AM
No "slasher" films

2. Halloween (Original)

:ninja:

fernandito
10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm glad to see all this love for Event Horizon. That's one of the few films that still manages to creep me out , even after all these years and multiple viewings.

In no particular order

1. Event Horizon
2. The Shining
3. Phantoms (Dean Koontz)
4. The Others
5. The Thing

Jean
10-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Heather :rose: : Ils doesn't seem to answer the requirement - it has no supernatural constituent. Or else I would have included it too... it is scary like hell.

Heather19
10-25-2011, 08:15 AM
I know, but I was struggling to come up with 5 :lol: And it scared me so I included it.

Also what Madhouse were you referring to? I just watched one the other week, is it the same? It's the 2004 one, where a student is working at a mental institution, and people begin to die.

Odetta
10-25-2011, 11:15 AM
In no particular order...

The Ring (I haven't seen Ringu, even though everyone says it is scarier... have to see it)
Halloween
Candyman
The Thing
Jaws (OK, no supernatural, but that shark is f--king scary)

pathoftheturtle
10-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Isn't the "Scariest" move the best of the scary movies? This is a good question and one I don't have a ready answer for. On the one hand, yes, what's the point of a horror movie if it is not scary? On the other, some of my favorite horrors - such as Who Can Kill a Child, Escalofrio, Pontypool or The Last Exorcism are not really scary, they are just - interesting, thoroughbly enjoyable, well developed, directed and acted; in other words, just good films. Also, such a film as Madhouse, which scared me shitless (there were a couple of moments I still do not want to remember when the light is off, and I watched it some three years ago...), is not a really good movie, it has a silly story, and all the rest of what there is to it is pretty average.Right, and especially when you ask for "Halloween Scary Movies" I don't think of Halloween Scary as being of the same point as what we might call Horrorshow Scary.
never heard of Phantasm, have looked it up. Sounds like something I might want to watch:o Yeah, it's a campy classic. Great as example of 1970s American movie genre.

fernandito
10-25-2011, 12:20 PM
I haven't heard of Phantasm either ....

Mattrick
10-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I've still yet to watch a horror movie that scared me. A few have done a good job at creeping me out. But if this is a list of horror movies we love watching at Halloween it would be:

1. The Thing
2. The Shining
3. Halloween (Not the crapfest that Zombie made)
4. The Evil Dead
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Heather19
10-25-2011, 01:21 PM

You haven't either?!

I was actually going to watch it the other day, but then opted for something else. I might just watch it later tonight now after all this talk about it.

DoctorDodge
10-25-2011, 01:29 PM

You haven't either?!

What Swan said! I've never watched it, but even I know what the Tall Man looks like and why you need to beware of his balls! :lol:

Yaksha
10-25-2011, 02:34 PM
great lists. think of one that are supernatural later

Ricky
10-25-2011, 04:02 PM
If we can only include supernatural-related films, I can only say:

1. Pet Sematary
2. Insidious

flaggwalkstheline
10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
my top horror/halloween films... hmm
1 Herzog's remake of Nosferatu
2 The Howling
3 Vampyr
4 28 days later/ 28 weeks later (gotta watch em in a row if I watch em!)
5 Evil Dead 2

mystima
10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
My favorite scary movies (or movies that scared the crap out of me)

1. Nightmare on Elm Street(original) after watching this as a kid I couldn't sleep very well.
2. The Beast Within
3. The Exorcist
4. Paranormal Activity
5. The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Jimimck
10-25-2011, 10:51 PM
My list below are the ones that actually scared me while watching, as opposed to just my favourite horror/scary movies...

1. The Ring (those scenes when the camera zooms in real fast on those messed up scream faces)
2. Paranormal Activity (the suspense that movie builds is intense)
3. Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - Dream Warriors (I was 12 when I saw that for the first time, and it scared the hell out of me. When Freddy "puppet-walked" that guy of the roof got to me)
4. The Amityville Horror (two words that haunt me to this day - "Get Out")
5. Halloween (The menancing Michael Myers who just keeps on coming - and one of the scariest music scores I've ever heard)

Jean
10-26-2011, 02:12 AM
thank you!
Most welcome. I will warn you, though...in the parts where it is corny, it is super corny, but The Tall Man still creeps me out to this day for some reason. He made me very wary of morticians as a kid.
watching it right now! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

frik
10-26-2011, 07:27 AM
1. Suspiria
2. Wait Until dark (the climax scared the sh*t out of me)
3. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
4. Tombs of the Blind Dead (La noche del terror ciego)
5. Rosemary's Baby

sk

pathoftheturtle
10-26-2011, 07:52 AM
1. Suspiria
2. Wait Until dark (the climax scared the sh*t out of me)
3. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
4. Tombs of the Blind Dead (La noche del terror ciego)
5. Rosemary's Baby

sk
Nice. For some reason, tho, we got this
One rule, they must be supernatural related flicks. No "slasher" films or "thrillers". Gotta be an "Other-worldly" premise.
Here's a few more not yet mentioned --

The Haunting (1963)
An American Werewolf in London
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Erin
10-26-2011, 08:14 AM
1. The Thing (My all-time favorite scary movie. It still scares the crap out of me.)
2. Exorist 3 (If only for this terrifying scene...http://youtu.be/zH8ynu0jRvY)
3. Session 9 (creeptastic!)
4. The Fourth Kind (owls....ahhh!)
5. The Blair Witch Project (I saw it as a teenager and was completely terrified in the theatre).

P.S. - I ignored the supernatural requirement. :P

Heather19
10-26-2011, 08:18 AM
4. The Fourth Kind (owls....ahhh!)

I woke up at 2am last week and there was a loud owl right outside! Thank goodness it wasn't 3 in the morning but it still freaked me out! :lol:

fernandito
10-26-2011, 08:21 AM
1. The Thing (My all-time favorite scary movie. It still scares the crap out of me.)

I :wub: you.

And I heart you again ! I saw this a few months ago and it seriously creeped me the hell out. It starts out slow but once it picks up speed it's relentless. I loved it.

Erin
10-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Heather - I would have panicked! :panic: :lol:

Ricky Grimes - double :wub:

Jean
10-26-2011, 08:46 AM

And I heart you again ! I saw this a few months ago and it seriously creeped me the hell out. It starts out slow but once it picks up speed it's relentless. I loved it. ditto bears

Merlin1958
10-26-2011, 01:21 PM
P.S. - I ignored the supernatural requirement. :P

LOL I noticed!!!! LOL

That Nurse scene was pretty creepy!!!

This scene was pretty creepy as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bngWQN8cHk&feature=related

OchrisO
10-26-2011, 08:40 PM
thank you!
watching it right now! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Were you able to make it through it? haha. Not because of the scary, but because of the corny.

Jean
10-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Chris, I liked it a lot! It isn't maybe much of a movie, but it has this nostalgic, sentimental value, being a perfect '70s family horror I appreciate greatly. I really really enjoyed it - and yes, some parts did, quite unexpectedly, seem scary. I don't think I will be very eager to recollect the Tall Man standing at the head of the bed when I am alone at night.

Mattrick
10-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Othere I really like are:

The Ring
The Ring 2
Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Last Exorcism
Nightmare on Elm Street
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Feast
Jacob's Ladder
The Gate
Poltergeist
Dead Snow (a must for B movie greatness haha)
Event Horizon
In the Mouth of Madness (Did I ever tell you my favourite colour is blue?)
Blair Wicth Project
From Dusk Till Dawn
Slither
Mimic
Dead Rising
The Relic
The Host
Cloverfield
Quarantine
Pandorum
30 Days of Night
Fallen
and, of course, Leprechaun 2.

Brice
10-27-2011, 02:49 AM
I'm wanting to think on this awhile. I want to stick strictly to the creepy and unnerving side of things.

Jean
10-27-2011, 03:53 AM
I'm wanting to think on this awhile.
Which means, you are never going to post your list....

Heather19
10-27-2011, 04:08 AM
I'm wanting to think on this awhile.
Which means, you are never going to post your list....

:lol:
I am quite curious what yours is Brice.

DoctorDodge
10-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Yeah, it's one thing for me not to post my list, as a man who really hasn't watched that much horror outside of Who, but it's another for you not to post a list, Brice. Post, darn you!

fernandito
10-01-2020, 07:44 AM
*bumping this just for shiggles...

Kongo
10-01-2020, 09:29 AM
Just to celebrate it officially being October

1. Nightmare on Elm St
2. The Thing
3. Evil Dead 2
4. The Loved Ones
5. Cabin in the Woods

Honorable mentions: The Collector/Collection, Silent Hill, and The Descent

divemaster
10-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Hmmm, I missed this thread the first time. I agree that the "best" horror movie might not be the scariest. Is The Sixth Sense a horror movie? Probably not. And it's not particularly scary, except for a couple of jump scenes. But it is a great movie. Same goes for Jacob's Ladder. Is it a horror movie? I don't know, but it's a 5-star film for sure.

But the true "horror" movies that had me chewing on my knuckles the most would be (in no particular order):

The Omen
The Thing (1982)
A Tale of Two Sisters
Ju-on
Hereditary
A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original, before delving into self-parody)
Scream
Opera or Suspiria (got to give Argento some reps)

And a special mention to the 1977 Japanese movie House. There are no words to describe this film.