PDA

View Full Version : The Shining-Collector's Case & Original Art

Randall Flagg
10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
TheDarkTower.org is proud to be the EXCLUSIVE site to order and purchase a new, unique and fine Collectible case for your First Trade Edition of “The Shining". Glenn Chadbourne and Erin Wells are producing hand signed and Lettered, full-color original art pieces to be carefully affixed to the inside lid of each custom, hand-made Dolso wooden tray case, designed to hold the US Trade 1st edition of Stephen King's "The Shining". Each artist has created 26 "Lettered" art pieces for this series. Each art piece will be based upon a scene from "The Shining".

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject (http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject)

PLEASE NOTE: More art will be added today. Keep checking back.

Ben Staad
10-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Wow! Those are spectacular. I want to give a pre-emptive congrats to everyone that buys one of these....I have one of the Different Seasons cases and they are very well made and the art is top notch.

George at C-Springs
10-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Redrum! REDRUM!

Shannon
10-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Wow, another great case and artwork set that will surely be a success! Artwork looks great, some better than others. Crowman, did you set this up with the artists? Do you know how they selected their scenes?

I will be passing at this moment for a few reasons:

1) I don't have a first edition Shining yet.
2) I was a dummyface and didn't buy the Night Shift case, therefore ruining the set.
3) I'm trying to be good and not buy any bigger money items at the moment until my car is paid off.

But I love the cases and artwork. Very well done. :)

Merlin1958
10-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Dolso has done it again!!!!! I especially like Erin's piece with the Martini and skull, NICE!!!!

The "Bloody Typewriter" is a creepy touch as well.

Glenn certainly went to a whole 'nother level with his pieces, but I really enjoy the subtle creepiness and underlying horror in Erin's pieces as well.

Outstanding Job all!!!!!

:rock::rock::rock:

Merlin1958
10-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I think I may have spotted an "Easter-Egg" in one of Erin's pieces. Has anyone else noticed it? Check out "DD" and let me know if I'm nuts.

:wink1:

Jimimck
10-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I think they look awesome, (as did the Night Shift one) but just can't justify that kind of price for a case.

Shannon
10-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Merl, I thought of the It balloons also, but I think that's just the way she knows how to draw balloons, lol.

Merlin1958
10-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Merl, I thought of the It balloons also, but I think that's just the way she knows how to draw balloons, lol.

That's not it. Check again, more closely. Hint: "19"

Merlin1958
10-01-2011, 09:41 PM
I think they look awesome, (as did the Night Shift one) but just can't justify that kind of price for a case.

Artist's ain't cheap anymore, but I hear ya!!! I just sent my "Wasteland's" for a remarque and you would not believe the price!!! LOL

:rolleyes1:

neosatus
10-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I just sent my "Wasteland's" for a remarque

Neat, how does that work? Do you get to request what he draws or does he just do whatever he wants? I assume there are options for B&W or color etc. I'm really becoming a big fan of remarques.

Merlin1958
10-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I just sent my "Wasteland's" for a remarque

Neat, how does that work? Do you get to request what he draws or does he just do whatever he wants? I assume there are options for B&W or color etc. I'm really becoming a big fan of remarques.

Well, there's a "price list" as to complexity and yes, you can suggest a particular scene. However, this is not exactly the thread to discuss it. PM me if you would like more info.

Shannon
10-01-2011, 11:09 PM
lol I don't see it.

Ari_Racing
10-02-2011, 06:56 AM
They look really nice, but far from the amount my pocket allows.

Tito_Villa
10-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Got in on this one early, will look great on the shelf i am sure!

Merlin1958
10-03-2011, 06:47 AM

Hey, Congrats to you!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ben Staad
10-03-2011, 07:09 AM

Big Congrats to you! These look like they have some excellent artwork in them.

Tito_Villa
10-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks to both of you!

iowabob
10-03-2011, 07:43 AM

The plate above the floor buttons appears to show "TDT Co" as the manufacturer of the elevator.

Randall Flagg
10-03-2011, 07:55 AM

The plate above the floor buttons appears to show "TDT Co" as the manufacturer of the elevator.
Bingo!
There are more Easter Eggs out there.

Merlin1958
10-03-2011, 08:57 AM
I think there's one in "LL" as well.

Yes?

Randall Flagg
10-03-2011, 02:25 PM

Yes?
Post a picture of it, please.

Merlin1958
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Yes?
Post a picture of it, please.

It's on the "Order page". My skills do not permit that kind of technology manipulation!!! LOL

Randall Flagg
10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
It's there, but VERY subtle.

Merlin1958
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
OK. I have searched diligently, and I think there are 4 "Easter Eggs". One has been Identified. Can anyone else find the other three?

Take a Look:

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject

Patrick
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
The Dolso traycases look great, as we've come to expect from Dick!

On my laptops (both work and home) the images are too small for me to appreciate the subtleties and detail of the art pieces. For example, I cannot see any of the Easter Egg detail that you guys mention. Therefore I like the few pieces that hit me from a larger, visceral viewpoint - if I'm saying that right.

My personal favorites, in order, are JJ (Redrum), WW (typewriter), NN (martini), TT (hotel), and maybe KK (scrapbook).

Congrats to everyone who has purchased one or more.

Robert Fulman
10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Funny. To me, "J" is easily the nicest piece of art, and I'm surprised no one has grabbed it yet. Also, the man in "J" looks to be modeled after Javier Bardem.

Dolso
10-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Patrick~

Maybe this size will help a little?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Erin_KK_Scrapbook.jpg

This is the "J" piece......... I forget - was Jack in the walk-in with Grady? ... or...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Glen_J_Jack.jpg

Somewhere in this post is another of the "Easter Eggs"....................................

Merlin1958
10-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I think I spotted the Easter Egg in the Scrapbook pic, but I ain't saying!!!

:razz:

Merlin1958
10-04-2011, 04:28 PM
The Dolso traycases look great, as we've come to expect from Dick!

On my laptops (both work and home) the images are too small for me to appreciate the subtleties and detail of the art pieces. For example, I cannot see any of the Easter Egg detail that you guys mention. Therefore I like the few pieces that hit me from a larger, visceral viewpoint - if I'm saying that right.

My personal favorites, in order, are JJ (Redrum), WW (typewriter), NN (martini), TT (hotel), and maybe KK (scrapbook).

Congrats to everyone who has purchased one or more.

I think "I", "B" and "K" are my favorites. As far as Erin's pieces go I have to agree with you Patrick.

Glenn was getting a little "Old" so to speak, but he really took it up a notch on this one!!! These are by far the best pieces he has ever done IMHO!!

Ben Staad
10-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I think that "J" is my favorite GC piece ever. It has a different look to it then anything else I've seen from him. It has Glenn writing all over it but there is just a cool vibe about it.

Merlin1958
10-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Even though there is no Bull in the Topiary (Apparently GC thinks there should be! Ha) "E" is very cool as well!!!

Like I said, overall, I think GC really outdid himself!!!

Patrick
10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Javier Bardem?! Totally agree- he's a ringer!

Thanks, Dick. Those are still too small on my laptops to show much detail, but I saved and enlarged the scrapbook one. I think I can just make out the Easter Egg if I use my imagination a little.

Of Glenn's work, I think my favorites are M (black & white, gangsters outside) and T (the black and purple color scheme with skull balloons).

Bill, I've got to respectfully disagree with you, I think Glenn's best one was my letter "P" Battleground artwork on the last go-around! :D

Merlin1958
10-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Bill, I've got to respectfully disagree with you, I think Glenn's best one was my letter "P" Battleground artwork on the last go-around! :D

Can't argue with you on that one!!!! LOL

Dolso
10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
I've had a couple comments that the ordering process is a little confusing. I might confuse the issue even more, but I'll give it a try..........

Half way down the Shining page ( [/URL][url]http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject (http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject) ) is a link "To view all art and place an order - click here". This takes you to the page to view all the art & see what is still available.

You need to click the "click here to register" link towards the top of the art page - enter the requested info & create an account. You end up at a screen to "'to purchase products please click here". Then you'll be able to view and select the piece you want.

There is a cart at the bottom of the page that selects the piece you view. "Add" that to the cart. Once you've selected it will ask you to go directly to PayPal. This 'Reserves" that Letter for you and allows 3 hours to pay for it. Once you're at PayPal you can sign into your account & pay for the case. If you haven't paid for it within 3 hours, it reverts back to "available". When it is paid for the status shows as "sold".

Since I'm posting, here's a couple larger pics - one of Glens' and one of Erins' . An 'Easter Egg' in this post too..............

The Gangster Vacation.........

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Glen_M_Gangster_Vacation.jpg

Talking with Grady

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/semi_final_10_1_talking_w_grady_PP.jpg

Tito_Villa
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Does the number plate on the car say TDT 19 ?

Brice
10-06-2011, 05:38 AM
I believe it does.

Randall Flagg
10-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Does the number plate on the car say TDT 19 ?
Yes.

Dolso
10-07-2011, 07:11 AM
One of the better scenes from the book in my opinion (even though they're all great) - This is actually one of my favorite Glen Chadbourne pieces.

Sort of cool to get two different artists interpretations of the same scene.

Danny being attacked by the fire hose ~ a manifestation of the hotel? or just a mind game?

And what else would it be called than.....

"The Hosemonster"!!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Erin_HH_Fire_Hose.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Glen_I_Hosemonster.jpg

Merlin1958
10-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Glenn's piece is especially nice IMHO

carlosdetweiller
10-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Glenn's piece is especially nice IMHO

I agree. And while I have been openly critical of Chadbourne's work in the past (I still think SECRETARY OF DREAMS 1 & 2 are absolutely hideous books), these current pieces are really, really good. I bought letter "T" the first time around for the NIGHT SHIFT case and got letters "T" and "TT" this time. I think I got a couple of nice pieces but, IMO, Erin Wells needs to step up her game if she is going to be in a dual offering with Chadbourne. Her art really pales in comparison this time around.

Shannon
10-08-2011, 04:58 AM
I am a huge Erin Wells supporter, and even I was a little disappointed in some of her work this time around. I take that back ... not so much her work but more the scenes she chose (I assume the artists themselves chose the scenes?). It just seemed that ... Hmmmm ... how should I describe this? You know when you go to take a picture of some of your friends, and then when you take the picture, some of your friends weren't ready? That's kinda how some of her scenes are ... They're just a little ... off. This is the first time I've seen her work with color also, I know she does a lot of shading and such in her normal black and white illustrations, which I love ("Georgie Chasing His Boat" owner right here, lol :)).

As far as good ol' GC is concerned, he really HAS stepped his game up this go around. The majority of his art pieces are beautiful. Like, illustrations that belong in a book kind of great. I like how he can do the detailed black and white illustrations (i.e. Secretary Of Dreams) and then come in with color and really switch it up. That shows great talent. :)

All in all, Shannon like.

Randall Flagg
10-08-2011, 10:23 AM
The Wells "Firehose" says TDT.19.Co on it.
"LL" has a box of TDT19 flakes cereal on the pantry shelf.
"KK" has TDT19 on the table edge.
"II" has a very small TDT19 in the ladies hair.
There are more out there.

ESW
10-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Hello--Wells, here. I agree with you: these aren't my favorite scenes, overall. Circumstances surrounding this job did not allow me to do my absolute best. However, I hope the works are largely well-received. I think Glenn did a fine job on his part of the project (like the gangsters best). Thanks for your honest feedback.

http://www.erinwells.com

Randall Flagg
10-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I appreciate the art you did. I am glad you also put a few "Easter Eggs" in your drawings. Art is very subjective-and I think it was cool to have two artist's perspective. My favorite piece is the "JJ" with ᴙedrum in the mirror.

Ben Staad
10-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Hello--Wells, here. I agree with you: these aren't my favorite scenes, overall. Circumstances surrounding this job did not allow me to do my absolute best. However, I hope the works are largely well-received. I think Glenn did a fine job on his part of the project (like the gangsters best). Thanks for your honest feedback.

http://www.erinwells.com

For what it's worth I think both series (yours and Glenns) are excellent. The pieces have a nice contrast between them that should appeal to many different eyes.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-08-2011, 02:24 PM
I admire both these artists, and when I get my cases I'm going to admire them even more. Anyone who can draw fascinates me, since I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, a C-clamp and Arnold what's-his-name holding my arm steady for me.

Merlin1958
10-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I think Erin's work evokes Thought and deliberation. It's not "In your face" by any standard. That's cool and the mark of a great Artist, IMHO

Shannon
10-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I've enjoyed what I've seen of Erin Wells' art. From the artwork on her website, to the illustrations for It, and MOST of the illustrations for The Shining project. But there are some images that just don't scream "The Shining" to me in any way, most specifically in the close-up images of objects or places. For example: Elevator (DD), Martini Glass (NN), Typewriter (WW), Party Favor (YY). Again, the scenes, not the artwork.

With that being said, my favorite artpiece of the project is Redrum (JJ). If that were available when I first heard about the project, I would have scrounged up the money and bought a case. :) It's THAT nice to look at. Other favorites from the project are: Zombie Monster (D), Kiss - Room 217 (GG), Hosemonster (I), Ghost Strangle (II), Ghost Twins (R).

Dolso
10-09-2011, 02:17 PM
A couple of the pieces Shannon just mentioned. Maybe the reason they don't remind you of THE SHINING is that they're too small - not enough detail in the smaller sizes.

DD is the scene where the elevator comes down by itself with party-goers during the hotels manifestation of a New Years Party. Note the confetti, balloons, and vague shadow/shape of a specter on the far wall.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Erin_DD_Elevator.jpg

NN has to be reminiscent of Lloyd getting Jack to fall off of the wagon -- even if the booze actually is only in his mind (or the hotels mind). Same scene as "F" and "UU".

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/semi_final_10_1_wantadrink_NN.jpg

Patrick
10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
As noted upthread, although there are a few by GC that I really like, my favorite pieces of the entire collection were done by EW.

AKC
10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I am watching The Shining on cable right now!!!!!

Can't wait to get my case!!!!

AKC

AKC
10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I am watching The Shining on cable right now!!!!!

Can't wait to get my case!!!!

AKC

Although the 1980 Kubrick film certainly isn't an exact literal translation of King's work, it still is "freaky" nonetheless.....

Nicholson is amazing......

AKC

The Library Policeman
10-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I really like the Kubrick version. Kinda different from the book but good to watch in its own right.

Merlin1958
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I really like the Kubrick version. Kinda different from the book but good to watch in its own right.

Can't express how much I hated the Kubrick version. Other than Jack and Halloran the casting was horrible and they wasted Scatman Crothers. Plus the unnecessary ploy changes just killed it for me. However, these wonderful cases commemorating the classic Novel are truly amazing!!!

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject

Get 'em whilst you can!!! When they are gone they are gone for good!!!

ESW
10-10-2011, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=Alan G;643474]I really like the Kubrick version. Kinda different from the book but good to watch in its own right.

I like the Kubrick version, mostly...I liked Crothers, and Nicholson was good! Although I don't dislike Shelley Duvall generally, her depiction of Wendy had me rooting for Jack, sometimes...like the scene on the stairs: I just wanted to jump into the frame and grab that baseball bat RIGHT--get some LEVERAGE on that thing, Wendy! You know?

Jimimck
10-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I'd just like to say I purchased one of the Chadbourne commissioned artworks, and have asked for me to be done as Jack or Danny (gave him free licence, but let's face it, he's probably gonna struggle to make me look like a little boy lol) and to insert me in to a montage of Shining scenes. These artworks have got me really excited about it, and I'm thinking I may have to give the book another ready soon.

I really should get me one of these cases to go with it, but just can't afford. Will post pics when it arrives - I hope it's as cool as these are....

Dolso
10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
I'd just like to say I purchased one of the Chadbourne commissioned artworks, and have asked for me to be done as Jack or Danny (gave him free licence, but let's face it, he's probably gonna struggle to make me look like a little boy lol) and to insert me in to a montage of Shining scenes. These artworks have got me really excited about it, and I'm thinking I may have to give the book another ready soon.

I really should get me one of these cases to go with it, but just can't afford. Will post pics when it arrives - I hope it's as cool as these are....

Are you sure you don't want to be done as Halloran? or maybe Ullman (the officious little prick..........)? Something REALLY different would be having the evil leave the hotel (as in Letter "Y") but instead of an evil 'skull' face representing the evil leaving, have your face leaving the hotel........

FYI - I have been known to do payment plans at times.............

Shannon
10-10-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.collativelearning.com/the%20shining.html

One of many insane websites out there. VERY interesting reading.

Merlin1958
10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I know the price went up, Artists like to get paid, but these editions are truly extraordinary. You'll regret it if you don't get one now and have to buy on the secondary market!!!!!!

These cases are Gorgeous!!!!! And the Artwork is above and beyond!!!!!!!

Randall Flagg
10-11-2011, 07:19 AM
http://www.collativelearning.com/the%20shining.html

One of many insane websites out there. VERY interesting reading.
I started to read it then realized I don't have a spare week.

Shannon
10-11-2011, 08:52 AM
lol, it's a LOT of overanalyzing, but some things DO actually make sense. And it's just oen of many websites devoted to analyzing the Shining movie.

This is one of my favorite sections of the website, regarding the moving/haunted furniture.

http://www.collativelearning.com/the%20shining%20-%20chap%2013.html

Randall Flagg
10-11-2011, 09:16 AM
lol, it's a LOT of overanalyzing, but some things DO actually make sense. And it's just oen of many websites devoted to analyzing the Shining movie.

This is one of my favorite sections of the website, regarding the moving/haunted furniture.

That is way over-analyzing.

Dolso
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
lol, .....

LOL cool site, Shannon~ along those lines, here's a couple pics that may make you wonder if the cases themselves are haunted........

As you can see, it is the same "FF" case but if you look VERY closely you'll notice that in the bottom photo there is a darker smudge to the wood just below the '52' as if a 'specter' had been holding and examining the case. In the top pic there are two 'eyes looking out at the top right of the oval (below the 'n' in Shining)......one of those 'eyes' has closed in the bottom pic. There are other subtle, almost imperceptible, differences -- the dark streak to the right of the oval (at the roof line height), you can't see it in the picture, but there appears to be a 'shape' looking out of the ground floor main window..................:evil::orely::panic:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/FF_Haunting_1_doc.JPGhttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/FF_Haunting_2_doc.JPG

sgc1999
10-12-2011, 02:05 PM
when will the charity auctions be held for letters z and zz?

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Did you say 'FF'? Is my house going to be haunted in the near future? Allright!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-12-2011, 02:54 PM

The haunting costs extra. Send $50 to "Danny's gonna meet you dot com".

Merlin1958
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM

The haunting costs extra. Send $50 to "Danny's gonna meet you dot com".

That's actually a neat marketing idea. We should tell Dick to put a "Curse" on all future sales!!!! LOL Hell, he pissed on my Firestarter case!! LOL

:ghost_002:

Dolso
10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
That's actually a neat marketing idea. We should tell Dick to put a "Curse" on all future sales!!!! LOL Hell, he pissed on my Firestarter case!! LOL

I only did that because your Firestarter was on fire & I didn't have any other way of putting it out!!

and I'm assuming you realize that I'm just kidding?!!

Dolso
10-13-2011, 08:44 AM
A couple more of the larger comparative pics -- same scene, different artists............

Dick burning the topiary Lion............

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Glen_V_Dick_the_Lion.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/semi_final_10_1_burning_lion_QQ.jpg

Randall Flagg
10-13-2011, 10:33 AM
If people want high res pics of any piece posted in this thread they should ask.

Merlin1958
10-13-2011, 12:33 PM

I only did that because your Firestarter was on fire & I didn't have any other way of putting it out!!

and I'm assuming you realize that I'm just kidding?!!

Oh I know you were joking, so was I, but the "Curse" or "Haunting" gimmick might be cool!!

AKC
10-14-2011, 06:37 PM
I ordered my "H" case. Classic scene.....

I also LOVE "B". It's all about the Boiler!!!

carlosdetweiller
10-15-2011, 03:48 AM
I also LOVE "B". It's all about the Boiler!!!

"She creeps."

AKC
10-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I am watching the Shining again (I have no life) and Shelley Duvall is NOT an attractive woman......

She Kinda' adds to the "freakiness" of the Kubrick version.....

AKC

Dolso
10-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Indeed - she DOES creep

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/Erin_BB_prelim_8_1_She_Creeps.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Glen_B_Tutorial.jpg

I recorded every one of those King movies on the AMC marathon!! Good late nite TV watching!

Merlin1958
10-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Both of those are just awesome pieces!!!!!

"Creepy", too!!!

AKC
10-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Best part about the 1980 Kubrick version is the very beginning and the music that is playing as Jack is driving up the mountain......

FREAKISH.....

Randall Flagg
10-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Best part about the 1980 Kubrick version is the very beginning and the music that is playing as Jack is driving up the mountain......

FREAKISH.....
That Tuba, with the accompanying wierd sounds (I think one was a saw being bowed and flexed) in 5.1 Surround Sound (granted originally not done in 5.1) was awesome.

Merlin1958
10-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't think I can overstate my dislike for the Kubrick version. To me he murdered the book. IMHO

However, these cases for the 1/1 of the original book just ROCK!!!!!

Patrick
10-17-2011, 11:44 PM
I saw the movie years before I read the book. I loved it.

carlosdetweiller
10-18-2011, 04:19 AM
Kubrick's film of THE SHINING will always be special to me. I realize that it deviates greatly from King's book. But it was my introduction to King. I saw the movie when it was released in theaters in 1980. We had been seeing previews of the movie for what seemed like two years before it was released. Each time I saw the previews it made me want to see the movie that much more. I loved the movie when I saw it but was confused by the party scenes, the guy in the dog costume and the other previous occupants of the hotel. The next day I went to the bookstore and bought the "movie tie-in" paperback edition of the book to find out what I had missed. It was my first King book to read. 31 years later and I am still reading every word he writes. I still love the Kubrick version even with its faults. I still have the book I bought that day too.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/shiningpaperback-1.jpg

Randall Flagg
10-18-2011, 06:23 AM
I don't have it now, but it was that same version of the book that I read, and became hooked on King-though my serious collecting didn't begin for ~10 more years.
I recently re-viewed the Kubrik version of the film. It was in Blu Ray high definition. The movie has a flaw or two, but is still brilliant.

biomieg
10-18-2011, 06:35 AM
This makes me want to re-read and re-watch THE SHINING.

Dolan
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I also LOVED that song at the opening of The Shining!

Dolso
10-20-2011, 07:18 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/semi_final_10_1_wasps_OO.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Glen_C_The_Nest.jpg

Merlin1958
10-22-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/semi_final_10_1_wasps_OO.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Glen_C_The_Nest.jpg

That's an absolutely "Awesome" piece by Erin!!!!!!!!

:clap::clap:

Merlin1958
10-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Thought this might come in handy:

https://www.bookslipcase.com/Home.html

Randall Flagg
10-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Don't keep it a secret, even if it isn't true, tell us.

Merlin1958
10-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey all, Dolso has a cool new feature on his site regarding "Artist's". Check it out!!!

https://www.bookslipcase.com/Home.html

AKC
10-31-2011, 04:46 PM
My case shipped today! My case shipped today! My case shipped today!

Thanks Dick!

AKC

Ben Staad
10-31-2011, 06:03 PM
My case shipped today! My case shipped today! My case shipped today!

Thanks Dick!

AKC

Woot! Congrats and I wish I had participated.

Dolso
11-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I completed the cases a little sooner than I originally expected so they are shipping earlier also. (Plenty of time for early Christmas presents --- actually enough time for a Thanksgiving present!! LOL) I think I've emailed everyone that ordered with their delivery date and tracking number. If you ordered/paid for a case & haven't received a shipping email yet, send me a PM. Still have some cases with both the Chadbourne art and the Wells art available if anyone is interested in taking a look ..... http://thedarktower.systeminplace.net/login.php

We're intending on holding the charity auction for "Z" (Chadbourne) around the end of November. The proceeds from that will go to the Phoenix-fund.org http://www.phoenix-fund.org/. They are primarily concerned with Traumatic Brain Injuries. The "ZZ" (Erin Wells) case will be auctioned after the first of the year. The proceeds from that one will go to the Haven Foundation http://www.thehavenfdn.org/

Randall Flagg
11-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Danny Lloyd 37 from The Shining, then and now:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/Ka-maihttp://cdn.photos.tmz.com/gallery_images/images/2010/10/danny_lloyd_the_shining_then_full.jpg

http://cdn.photos.tmz.com/gallery_images/images/2010/10/danny_lloyd_the_shining_now_full.jpg

carlosdetweiller
11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Got my two THE SHINING cases from Dolso today. Really great items. The wood grain is stained beautifully and the book fits perfectly inside. Nice artwork too. Highly recommend.

Randall Flagg
11-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I would love to see high res pics/scans of the art. You (almost) got the best image. I still like my redrum.

Randall Flagg
11-03-2011, 02:57 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/155/img33721188x792.jpg

The Library Policeman
11-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Beautiful!

Jimimck
11-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah that looks spectacular

Merlin1958
11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/155/img33721188x792.jpg

Now if only we had a pic of Bob's case we could compare!!!

Shannon
11-03-2011, 07:33 PM
That's my favorite too. :) It looks great Crowman.

carlosdetweiller
11-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Now if only we had a pic of Bob's case we could compare!!!

OK. Here are mine. Not sure which is my favorite. I really like them both.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/shiningdolsochadbourne.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/shiningdolsowellscase.jpg

AKC
11-05-2011, 05:04 AM
In this case (no pun intended), I prefer Glenn's...........

That is frickin' AWESOME.....

AKC

Room 217 Caretaker
11-05-2011, 05:04 AM
T is awesome.

The Library Policeman
11-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Amazing. T is my favourite.

Merlin1958
11-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Beautiful, Bob!!!!! Congrats!!!!

scstandpipe
11-05-2011, 07:00 AM
I personally think 'T' shows amazing artistic ability with the spacing and detail, so that one's my favorite. But, I do think that 'TT' looks absolutely amazing next to the actual copy of The Shining: the colors, hotel and overall feel match the DJ extremely well IMO (as I was looking through the ones on Dolso's site 'TT' jumped out at me as "this is The Shining").

biomieg
11-05-2011, 09:18 AM
They look great, guys. How do you display them? Case open, case closed, between the other books on the shelf, in its own separate spot?

TwistedNadine
11-05-2011, 09:26 AM
I do think that 'TT' looks absolutely amazing next to the actual copy of The Shining: the colors, hotel and overall feel match the DJ extremely well IMO (as I was looking through the ones on Dolso's site 'TT' jumped out at me as "this is The Shining").

Agreed - I really like that one

carlosdetweiller
11-05-2011, 09:27 AM
They look great, guys. How do you display them? Case open, case closed, between the other books on the shelf, in its own separate spot?

For now cases closed and on top of the bookshelves so you can see the front artwork and spine. It's getting crowded up there though.

Shannon
11-05-2011, 11:22 AM
T is some GREAT artwork, but it doesn't scream THE SHINING to me. Ghost people at a party, yes ... but the association isn't there as it is in the Redrum one. That's my favorite. :)

And I really like TT, it's the cover of the case! That's always something pretty special.

Merlin1958
11-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Not trying to argue or anything, but the point of the Art is to have the Artist, sort of, illustrate the book as if they had been originally commissioned to do so. I fully understand what you mean, Shannon. It's just that every image is not going to exactly "scream", "The Shining". They have to be taken as a sort of "whole", I suppose. Some will "scream" the book more than others of course. The focus is on another artist's POV on the subject matter which, is kinda cool, no? Thanks for mentioning that point SM!!!!

Jimimck
11-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I think I get what Shannon means though, in that when you are paying for a special piece of artwork like these, you like it to be instantly recognisable as "The Shining". If all these pieces of art were available in a portfolio or special edition of the book, then as a whole they would make one amazing collection.

I took up CD's Chadbourne artwork offer recently and gave a brief I just want to be included in a montage of easily recognisable scenes from The Shining, and would expect that to include things like Redrum, the hotel, the shrubberies, etc . I wouldn't expect it to include some of the more obscure pieces that have been done for these cases though.

Now I say all that but have to emphasis I think all these pieces are awesome and all add a special something to The Shining. I just see what Shannon means when he points out some Shine more than others...

Garrell
11-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Mine "shines" to me:)
Very happy with Erins' technique and composition, beuatiful when seen in full detail!!!
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/garrell7/DSCF1276.jpg

Patrick
11-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I do think that 'TT' looks absolutely amazing next to the actual copy of The Shining: the colors, hotel and overall feel match the DJ extremely well IMO (as I was looking through the ones on Dolso's site 'TT' jumped out at me as "this is The Shining").
Agreed - I really like that one
I also agree.

AKC
11-07-2011, 05:43 PM
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/Shining.jpg

Nobody mentioned this one as part of the discussion but I think it's pretty cool....

Thanks DOLSO!

AKC

Merlin1958
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
It's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Randall Flagg
11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I think it's fantastic. The deranged, oddly over-twisted body and head of Jack instantly convey his insanity.

Merlin1958
11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Wish I had pulled the trigger on one of these!!!!

Shannon
11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Great piece! :)

AKC
11-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Anybody recognize this place????

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/Stanley.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/Stanley2.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/Stanley3.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/SK.jpg

AKC

Merlin1958
11-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Why "The Overlook Hotel" of course!!!!! Very, very cool, AKC!!!!!!

Tito_Villa
11-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Great artwork, looking forward to getting mine when I get back in England !

Merlin1958
11-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Anybody recognize this place????

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/Stanley.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/Stanley2.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/Stanley3.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd470/avidkingcollector/SK.jpg

AKC

In the third pic, it almost resemble's a Chadbourne piece on the far right wall!!!! LOL

Shannon
11-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Nice pics. :)

Patrick
11-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Would have loved to have attended that one!

Ari_Racing
11-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Yes I do! :) I was there two years ago ;)

Ari_Racing
11-12-2011, 02:17 PM
This one is the best so far. Simply INCREDIBLE

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/shiningdolsochadbourne.jpg

Randall Flagg
11-12-2011, 02:25 PM
This one is the best so far. Simply INCREDIBLE

How the hell did Bob end up with the best (two)?

carlosdetweiller
11-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Ha!Ha! I don't know that I ended up with the BEST but I do like the ones that I got. A little luck and a little help from my friends.

Randall Flagg
11-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Ha!Ha! I don't know that I ended up with the BEST but I do like the ones that I got. A little luck and a little help from my friends.
Well, you didn't get the best-IMO as the Redrum still is the most iconic. Perhaps you took second and third place.

Merlin1958
11-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Bob's are really great and RF's "Redrum" is very cool too, but if pressed I'd have to go with the "Hose-Monster" and The crouching Lion about to attack Halloran. Who got those? Pics anyone?

Merlin1958
11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Very, very cool pics!!!!

ChristineB
11-15-2011, 07:27 AM
These are awesome cases with great art work.

This was an inspired idea for this website, I applaud the vision you had when you decided to do this project. :clap:

Merlin1958
11-15-2011, 07:43 PM
These are awesome cases with great art work.

This was an inspired idea for this website, I applaud the vision you had when you decided to do this project. :clap:

On behalf of Mr. Olson, I thank you for your kind words!!!!! He is a true American Craftsman!!!!! I just love his work.

Dick? I need a slipcase for 11/22/63 signed edition for Xmas!!! Send the bill to my wife!!!! LOL

Jimimck
11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Dick - I need any slipcase you care to send. Send the bill to Merlin......

Merlin1958
11-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Dick - I need any slipcase you care to send. Send the bill to Merlin......

Wait, What? LOL LOL LOL

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Just a comment on the slipcases. Since it would have required a monumental book moving effort to put the NIGHT SHIFT case in it's correct slot in my collection I just put it at the end of the King books where it's resting against a copy of the UK paperback of FDNS. Now the paperback smells like varnish. No big deal to me, but the smell from the case seems to have transferred itself to the book.

carlosdetweiller
11-16-2011, 04:53 AM
Now the paperback smells like varnish. No big deal to me, but the smell from the case seems to have transferred itself to the book.

So, do you think that if someone put a fine/fine 1st edition of NIGHT SHIFT in the case it would eventually smell like varnish? That is a disturbing thought.

Dolso
11-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Now the paperback smells like varnish. No big deal to me, but the smell from the case seems to have transferred itself to the book.

So, do you think that if someone put a fine/fine 1st edition of NIGHT SHIFT in the case it would eventually smell like varnish? That is a disturbing thought.

Certainly can't GUARANTEE it won't happen but I've never had that problem with any of the other cases I've done. With these (NS & Shining) I can't see how the book itself would get a varnish odor.... The inside has no varnish - just a felt liner that's glued in and a pull that is also glued (along with the art of course). The exterior is varnished but the odor from that seems to dissipate over a week or two (at least in my experience). I have a signed Carrie, a Night shift, Shining and Salem's Lot in one of these cases & don't detect any odor on any of them.

I have had comments that the high gloss black cases have given off a fairly strong odor when new, but that also seems to change with time.

Merlin1958
11-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I too, have quite a few cases and do not ID a problem like this for the book inside the case. The felt lining seems to protect the book nicely. However, due to the awkward size of the cases, I do not display them on a shelf side by side to my other 1/1's. They go on top of the bookcase or elsewhere for display or, in some case next to each other.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-16-2011, 02:40 PM
I am going to move all my traycases to a shelf of their own too. They look great that way and besides (don't gasp) I don't put books inside them anyway. I buy them for the works of art they are in themselves and don't want my books 'hiding' in them. I like to see my NIGHT SHIFT sitting there on my bookshelf. But that's just me, the traycases are part of my Stephen King collection and they are displayed along with everything else to the best of my ability and means.

HOWEVER - if I ever get a copy of SIX STORIES or a similar fragile book I WILL put those in the traycases I order for them, to protect them.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I am going to move all my traycases to a shelf of their own too. They look great that way and besides (don't gasp) I don't put books inside them anyway.

Yes I gasped. But that's just me.

No-one in the world has a the "perfect" collection, or "perfect" layout. I'm sure it would be almost impossible to find two members on this site who would agree on the content of a collection, or how they should be displayed.

The main thing is what you said. "They look great that way". If its good for you, it's perfect.

Merlin1958
11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
I am going to move all my traycases to a shelf of their own too. They look great that way and besides (don't gasp) I don't put books inside them anyway.

Yes I gasped. But that's just me.

No-one in the world has a the "perfect" collection, or "perfect" layout. I'm sure it would be almost impossible to find two members on this site who would agree on the content of a collection, or how they should be displayed.

The main thing is what you said. "They look great that way". If its good for you, it's perfect.

Couldn't possibly agree more, Mr. RT

Shannon
11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
My layout is perfect. To me. ;)

Everything within subgroupings are chronological.

- US First Editions
- Gift/Artist/Other Editions (hardcover Storm Of The Century, Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon Pop-Up, etc)
- Collections (Holdorf, Stephen King Horror Library, etc)
- Proofs
- Foreign Editions by country, starting with UK First Editions
- Anthologies with fiction works by King
- Anthologies with nonfiction works by King
- Books about Stephen King

- Then I have another shelf with paperbacks, nonexpensive reading copies, and audiobooks.
- I have my Signed Limited Editions in a glass display case. If I had more, they would be placed on the shelves immediately after the US Firsts.
- Knowing Darkness is next to the shelf because that thing is a monster.
- And then I have boxes with magazines, Castle Rock Newsletters, and the Skeleton Crew Treasure Chest.

Side note, I asked Amber how she would organize my books ... Her response?

"Alphabetical order, duh!"

lol!

Merlin1958
11-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Then buy a "The Shining" case, Shannon!!! You can scrape together the funds!!!! Don't let this be your TMSG again!!!! LOL

Shannon
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Nopes, I would need a Night Shift one by Chadbourne and a Shining one by Erin, both with artwork that I like, and with the promise of a different artist for every upcoming case. :)

Patrick
11-17-2011, 01:53 AM
I've bought cases from Dick that had that varnish smell when first unpacked. They just need to air out for a couple days and the vapor will dissipate. Neither the cases nor any books carry the aroma after that.

Merlin1958
11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I've bought cases from Dick that had that varnish smell when first unpacked. They just need to air out for a couple days and the vapor will dissipate. Neither the cases nor any books carry the aroma after that.

Same here, and I have more than most!!!!!

Jimimck
11-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Same here, and I have more than most!!!!!

I'll say. You're Dolso's personal PR department ;-) lol

Shannon
11-18-2011, 12:06 AM
I've said it before, but it deserves mentioning again ...

Merlin = Dolso.

Merlin1958
12-02-2011, 03:27 PM
I've said it before, but it deserves mentioning again ...

Merlin = Dolso.

Nah, It's more like Dolso= Great Art and Finely Crafted Cases!!!!

I just lend a hand...............

Randall Flagg
01-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Scan of the art Chadbourne did for my case:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1327252773-Charbourne%20PC%20896x878.jpg

Tito_Villa
01-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I really love that!

Shannon
01-22-2012, 08:03 PM
"So you're telling me the Whack-A-Mole game is on the other side of this door?"

:)

Great piece, friend!

Merlin1958
01-22-2012, 08:19 PM

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1327252773-Charbourne%20PC%20896x878.jpg

Awesome piece, Jerome!!!!!!

Randall Flagg
02-20-2012, 02:13 PM
There are only 3 left.
Order here: http://thedarktower.systeminplace.net/login.php

IMO, the KK image is really cool, it's a view of the book Jack finds detailing the history of The Overlook Hotel. Look closely, there are some unique things on the page.

http://thedarktower.systeminplace.net/images/KK.jpg

Merlin1958
02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
"Easter Eggs"!!! I love it!!! Hints????

Room 217 Caretaker
02-20-2012, 02:21 PM
TDT

Merlin1958
02-20-2012, 02:30 PM
TDT

????????????????????

Jimimck
02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/Take5_fluid/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/Take5_fluid/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=677126#post677126)
TDT

????????????????????

Look carefully for these letters in the picture

Randall Flagg
02-20-2012, 04:40 PM
"Easter Eggs"!!! I love it!!! Hints????

TDT

TDT

????????????????????

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/Take5_fluid/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/Take5_fluid/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=677126#post677126)
TDT

????????????????????

Look carefully for these letters in the picture

Exactly. TDT (The Dark Tower) is in the image, and the pic I posted is high enough resolution for someone to find it.

Stockerlone
02-21-2012, 01:36 AM
located...:rolleyes3: Nice easter Egg,... and the case is of cause BEAUTIFUL !!!!

Merlin1958
02-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Ahhh, NOW I see it!!!

Very cool, Jerome!!!!

Merlin1958
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Awesome piece, Jerome!!!!!!

Jerome? Is that really "You" when the pub runs out of ale?

:smile_002:

Randall Flagg
12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
There are still a couple of copies left:

http://thedarktower.systeminplace.net/login.php

Dolso
12-18-2012, 08:53 AM
David at Bett's has these for sale at a 20 percent discount - what was $340 (shipped) is now $270 (shipped). With 20 percent of that going locally to him to help Hurricane Sandy victims....

Merlin1958
12-19-2012, 12:07 PM
David at Bett's has these for sale at a 20 percent discount - what was $340 (shipped) is now $270 (shipped). With 20 percent of that going locally to him to help Hurricane Sandy victims....

That's a very generous gesture!!! C'mon folks!!! Everyone expresses their sorrow, but few actually act on it!!! The thing is to "Do" something, right?