PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower Chess Set...Who would be....

Bad Karma
09-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Please just post one piece per member, and put it in the format.

Side:

Piece:

Who:

Why:

Bad Karma
09-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Side: White
Piece: Knight
Who: Eddie
Why: He's a knight for the white.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Side: White
Piece: Pawn
Who: Oy
Why: Seems the best choice

Jean
09-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Side: white
Piece: Pawn
Who: Roland

He is a pawn of the forces he has no control over, and he is a true samurai - you know how much depends on pawns in chess. He is one of the chosen few (gunslingers). He is dead set on getting to that last row, where everything will change for him and he will make all the difference to the current game.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Interesting take, Jean. Who then would be your white King?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Haha....duh.....that would have to be Stephen KING!!!

Bad Karma
09-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Hmm...Roland as a pawn, nice take on that one Jean..never thought of that perspective. No one has posted any suggestions for the Black side, many are obvious..but many are not.

taking into account Jean's take on Roland above...then is TMIB also a pawn of the Crimson King? Where would Dandelo fit in?..Sylvia Pittison? Who would be equivalent for the black?

Merlin1958
09-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Side: Black
Piece: Bishop
Name: Randall Flagg/TMIB
Why: He's the high priest of chaos!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-23-2011, 09:42 PM
On that note,
Side White
Name: Father Callahan
Why? Duh

Merlin1958
09-24-2011, 04:41 PM
On that note,
Side White
Name: Father Callahan
Why? Duh

Hey, someone had to do the "Black" side sooner or later!!! LOL

And I want some Motherf*cking popsicles, Bitch!!!

LOL :lol1:

Bad Karma
09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Still trying to figure out where ole bad boy Eldred Jonas would fit in...especially since

In Wizard and Glass, where we are first introduced to him, sitting at the table in the Traveller's Rest,..Clay Reynolds is thinking (about Eldred) "He often didn't understand Jonas, but he had been riding with him since the age of fifteen....you were apt to end up listening to a cult-manni lecture about the other worlds the old buzzard had visited through what he called "the special doors".."

so I ask, if you'd put TMIB as a black bishop, then what about Eldred..Clay...and Roy...all pawns? hmm..I'd say Eldred maybe as a bishop or rook, the other two as pawns,,,what do y'all think about dem Big Coffin Hunters?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
I see them as Knights, mainly because of the horses.

Merlin1958
09-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Still trying to figure out where ole bad boy Eldred Jonas would fit in...especially since

In Wizard and Glass, where we are first introduced to him, sitting at the table in the Traveller's Rest,..Clay Reynolds is thinking (about Eldred) "He often didn't understand Jonas, but he had been riding with him since the age of fifteen....you were apt to end up listening to a cult-manni lecture about the other worlds the old buzzard had visited through what he called "the special doors".."

so I ask, if you'd put TMIB as a black bishop, then what about Eldred..Clay...and Roy...all pawns? hmm..I'd say Eldred maybe as a bishop or rook, the other two as pawns,,,what do y'all think about dem Big Coffin Hunters?

Yeah, Rooks?

Bad Karma
09-26-2011, 08:20 AM

Yeah, Rooks?

Round (my) these here parts, Rooks are Castles...Towers....so many names for them...

costanza
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
WaG spolers
I don't know if I'd put the big coffin hunters on the board at all. Reynolds and Depape are barely above country bumpkin status and Jonas is a failed Gunslinger. I don't have any statistics as far as how many of each class make it but I would think it would pretty high. I don't remember the exact ages but I think it was most guys make their try for the teachers stick between 18-21 with 25 as a cutoff. I know Cort and Fardo before him were bad asses but 18-21 you're in the best physical shape you're gonna be for the most part. Roland won when he was 14. I don't know when his schooling started but if these guys who are waiting for another 7, 8, 10 years longer than Roland did and still training in the schools over those years, they must have some pretty good moves by then.

Jonas got bested by Fardo and has the limp to prove it. So at least he didn't chicken out and get sent west because he was afraid to try but he still lost. The bch were a couple of idiots with guns led by a failure. Not to mention when it came down to the final battle between them and three 15 year olds, there was no battle. The kids mowed them down with little to no resistance.

Brice
09-26-2011, 05:22 PM
I was so hoping when I saw this thread that someone was going to make a chess set. <_<

Merlin1958
09-26-2011, 05:25 PM
I was so hoping when I saw this thread that someone was going to make a chess set. <_<

That would be pretty neat!!! We should put Jerome on it!!! He'd find a route to getting it done if anyone can!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I would sooooo buy one.

Bad Karma
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't know if I'd put the big coffin hunters on the board at all. Reynolds and Depape are barely above country bumpkin status and Jonas is a failed Gunslinger. I don't have any statistics as far as how many of each class make it but I would think it would pretty high. I don't remember the exact ages but I think it was most guys make their try for the teachers stick between 18-21 with 25 as a cutoff. I know Cort and Fardo before him were bad asses but 18-21 you're in the best physical shape you're gonna be for the most part. Roland won when he was 14. I don't know when his schooling started but if these guys who are waiting for another 7, 8, 10 years longer than Roland did and still training in the schools over those years, they must have some pretty good moves by then.

Jonas got bested by Fardo and has the limp to prove it. So at least he didn't chicken out and get sent west because he was afraid to try but he still lost. The bch were a couple of idiots with guns led by a failure. Not to mention when it came down to the final battle between them and three 15 year olds, there was no battle. The kids mowed them down with little to no resistance.

Thanks for your input! I think, though, you should edit your quote and put some SPOILER tabs around it, as a courtesy to anyone who hasn't already read WAG...

I just thought since Jonas is one of the "primary" characters of WAG...he should be included in the set...when you think about it, filling each black piece with a different character can be a challenge...there's quite a few spots to fill.

I would agree with you that Depape and Reynolds may not deserve a place on the board, but Jonas does, if for no other reason than how often he appears in WAG. Without Jonas and the BCH in WAG, the story would be missing quite a bit...quaiff?

Bad Karma
09-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I was thinking Shardik belongs in there too, somewhere.... hmm... how to incorporate the guardians? Gonna have to draw something up now... hehehe

CRinVA
09-28-2011, 04:47 AM

Brice, also my thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pathoftheturtle
09-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Why: He's the high priest of chaos!!!How about Rhea for the other one, then? And I think that it should be the White side and the Red side, no?

Bad Karma
09-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Why: He's the high priest of chaos!!!How about Rhea for the other one, then? And I think that it should be the White side and the Red side, no?

Yeah, now that I think about it, yes...RED for sure. So many other characters out there! Here's a tough one...Does Roland's mother deserve a spot on the board? Personally, I think she and Steven influenced Roland so much (mayhap more than "typical" parents) that each deserve a spot...

But, does Gabrielle end up on the Red side or the White?

In the DT Chess set, maybe there should be a "Grey" set as well...hmm..

pathoftheturtle
09-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Or a "Pink" set? Doubly appropriate! :rofl:

SalSolomon
10-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I know it's a lot of work, but I think you really have to propose an entire set. One piece per member is easy. I can justify why 4 different characters should be the white king, or the white bishop, etc. Making the actual decisions to leave some out and keep some in is the tough part. 16 characters on each side. Who's in, who's out? 8 major white pieces, the 5 of the ka-tet almost have to be in there right? The King is what gets protected in chess, that could be: the rose, the tower, SKing, the beam (bear/turtle) or the beams generally. The queen is the most powerful piece, could be the beam or beams, could be Roland or King.
For the Black, Crimson King, Walter, Mordred, need to be key pieces. Farson is a big deal, I guess. I would go with Stephen King and Crimson King as the 2 kings. Walter and Roland could be the queens.

Delacroix
11-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Hm, let's try.

WHITE

King: Stephen King
=> He is the key of all thing, yet he is seems clumsy and weak. Without him the game is lost, but do not count on him when the battle comes! Surely he will cost you a lot to protect...

Queen: Roland
=> The most deadly man on he battlefield, he can take down any target at any range. He's the dinh of the chessboard.

Bishop: Father Callahan
=> He's a priest, alright, but also someone really carefull who knows how to dodge the danger, find the secret ways and walk in the shade, he'll never use the straight path.

Knight: Susannah on trike.
=> Three powerfull wheels for a fast and lethal gunslinger. She'll easily flank her enemies and won't hesitate to pierce through their lines.

Tower: Eddie
=> Straightforward and reckless, he'll keep running and fighting until death takes him.

Pawns: Jake
=> Go on then, there are other worlds than this, there are other Jakes than this. He dies a lot but never for good, unless you stand in the keystone world. If he reaches far enough, he will reunite you with the ones who are already gone.

BLACK

King: Crimson King
=> Last obstacle standing before victory, is this huge symbol, this legendary creature, only a humbug in the end?

Queen: Mordred
=> If you don't get him, he'll get you. Wherever you are whatever you do, no place will keep you safe as Mordred's a-hungry.

Bishop: Walter
=> The man with a thousand faces who travels between the world knows how to surprise you. He spurts out of nowhere, sneaks between you lines and always strikes from the side.

Knight: Wolves of the Calla
=> From the darkness they ride, with sole goal to loot and burn everything on their way. Grey masks on grey horses, don't count on the pawns of the Calla to stop them.

Tower: Blaine
=> The relentless pink bullet runs straight along it's tracks, and no destination is far enough for its mad pace. Do not stand in its way, or wose, in its cabin, unless you're the white tower of course...

Pawns: Sneetches
=> Cold pellets coming in swarms, closer and closer, until they blast their targets. You're doomed if one passes by you lines.

:D

Sai Sheb
01-19-2020, 11:26 AM
I was looking up any chess sets base on king books and can't believe I came across this...
I would love to see a set.
Maybe not SK as the king, id like characters only...
Maybe pawns of king hero's like sheriff pangborn, jud crandall ect... Eddie knight, Susanna Queen, Callahan bishop, Jake rook and Roland as king!!! He must be protected and continue his journey at all costs...
Black pawns could be low men??? And all incarnations of RF could be back row, starting with the oldest in the centre working out...

Jon
01-29-2020, 12:44 AM
Black pawns could be low men???

Then we could sell people little yellow coats!

Sai Sheb
01-29-2020, 06:01 AM
Great idea.. add on extras like gun belts for Roland, cowboy hat for the walking dude..