PDA

View Full Version : Under the Dome series on CBS

Pages : [1] 2

mae
07-16-2009, 08:17 AM
http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6671164.html

Rand Holston at CAA is currently out with the film rights to Stephen King's forthcoming novel, Under the Dome. Scribner is publishing in November and Holston is co-agenting with Darhansoff, Verrill, Feldman. (King's literary agent is Chuck Verrill.) The novel follows the members of a small Maine town inexplicably sealed off one day by an invisible and impenetrable force field. Stranded inside the dome—which is erected at a random and unfortunate circumference that separates those within the town—a group of locals, led by an Iraq war vet, band together to fight rising social unrest and, ultimately, the barrier itself. King announced that he had finished the book back in January and, in his column for Entertainment Weekly, spoke of its massive size—it's more than 1,000 pages. The heft may be making it tough for Hollywood execs to see the story working as a feature; one insider said all the activity in the book is causing some to think Dome makes more sense as a miniseries. Other massive 1,000-plus page works by King—like It and The Stand—both wound up on the small screen, the former as a TV movie and the latter as a miniseries.

mae
11-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Under the Dome miniseries on HBO? That's according to Stephen King himself at last night's event at The Times Center in New York City.

ChristineB
11-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Wow, very cool info.

Can't wait for it to come out.

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
that was fast

Brainslinger
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes it was. I saw the book for the first time in my WH Smiths today! Half price too. (Unfortunately still out of my budget for the moment.)

Brice
11-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry...maybe I'm mistaken, but listening to it it sounds like he says series, not miniseries. Am I wrong?

mae
11-13-2009, 05:35 AM
If I remember correctly, he said miniseries in NYC.

Brice
11-13-2009, 05:37 AM
I may be mistaken, but replaying the video on youtube a few times that is not what I heard.

mae
11-13-2009, 05:38 AM
The video is of another event, though. I'm talking about the event in New York City.

Brice
11-13-2009, 05:41 AM
Oh, ok. My mistake then.

mae
11-13-2009, 06:03 AM
King could have misspoken at either event though, but I think a miniseries is more likely. I haven't read UTD yet, but I would think 5-6 1-hour episodes?

Brainslinger
11-14-2009, 12:52 PM
King could have misspoken at either event though, but I think a miniseries is more likely. I haven't read UTD yet, but I would think 5-6 1-hour episodes?

Amusing thing is, over here in the UK, 5-6 episodes would constitute a full series. Some do go longer (Doctor Who for example, and soap operas go on indefinitely) but 5-8 episodes is pretty normal. I remember reading an article where Stephen King remarked on how he liked the British 'mini series' Life on Mars. That was a full series for us! 3 episodes would be 'mini' (like Red Dwarf:Back to Earth.) I'm glad he liked it though.

I think you're right though. Beyond the Dome would probably be just the 5-6 episodes. I haven't read it but from what the blurb I've read on the web it will be pretty finite.

mae
11-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Well in the UK you say "series" when we here in the US say "season", which is confusing. Because a series can have multiple seasons.

Brice
11-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Well in the UK you say "series" when we here in the US say "season", which is confusing. Because a series can have multiple seasons.

It is a conspiracy. They are trying to confuse us. They are still not over the whole tea dumping thing.

Brainslinger
11-14-2009, 05:53 PM

Just to be more confusing we sometimes use the word 'series' in the way you use season and sometimes for the show as a whole like you. To be pedantic, it means the former though as we have the word 'programme' for the show.

Some British have taken up the American habit of referring to series as seasons too. Which is wrong of course ;) Seasons being times of the year specified by climate changes (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter).

gsvec
11-14-2009, 06:54 PM

It is a conspiracy. They are trying to confuse us. They are still not over the whole tea dumping thing.
:wtf:

Brice
11-15-2009, 03:54 AM
;)

<---A Bostonian

Myste
11-15-2009, 10:12 AM

:wtf:

Yeah... mee too. Initial burst out! :wtf:

mae
11-20-2009, 06:56 AM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011629.html?categoryid=10&cs=1

It's a potent combination: Steven + Stephen.

Steven Spielberg and Stephen King are joining forces to develop a limited series based on King's just-released supernatural thriller "Under the Dome." DreamWorks TV has optioned the book and is looking to set it up as an event series, likely for cable.

DreamWorks principal Stacey Snider was key in bringing the project to the company. Spielberg, King and Snider will exec produce along with DreamWorks TV chiefs Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey.Book, which has earned strong reviews as a return to form for the prolific author, revolves around the drama that unfolds after an invisible force field suddenly descends on a small vacation town in Maine. As the locals fight for their survival, the town descends into warring factions led by enigmatic characters.

DreamWorks is starting to meet with writers for the project. The plan is to set a writer before shopping the skein to prospective buyers.

Spielberg and King have worked together in the past, developing a screen adaptation of King's 1984 novel "The Talisman," on which Spielberg has had the option for more than 20 years. That project has been developed as a feature, and it came close to being done as a mini for TNT a few years ago until it was tabled for budgetary reasons.

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 09:37 AM
You all may want to check out Aint it cool News.com (AINTITCOOL.com) Apparently Spielberg has been tapped to produce or direct.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43147

OOPS, should have read above more. But at least you get the new link & AICN is a great fan site too.

Xanthus
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I think this is a great idea. Heck the book practically reads like a movie script to begin with !!

JameseyLefebure
12-18-2009, 02:55 AM
I've not read Under The Dome yet (still got to finished re-reading the dark tower series THEN i'm reading it!!) but I LOVED Speilberg's Taken - so think he would be amazing if he was directing this!! I've heard some really posititve things about UTD so i'm pretty sure the show with Speilberg at the helm will rock!!!

Jamesey
xxxx

Roehcai
01-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Considering how dark a book it is, I wonder how they'll do a 'TV-friendly' version. I mean, just all the stuff that happens in the very begining.... man..

Bev Vincent
01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
The opening of Desperation was pretty grim, too, and they managed most of that. Dead animals and children.

Solar
01-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Considering how dark a book it is, I wonder how they'll do a 'TV-friendly' version. I mean, just all the stuff that happens in the very begining.... man..

HBO has never really worried about that in the past. A lot of their shows would draw very hard R ratings as movies (see Rome, the Sopranos, etc for violence that at least matches what is described in UTD).

mae
01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, HBO is a cable channel. That said, Stephen mentioned HBO while on the UTD tour, but no official announcement has been made.

Blaine Is A Pain
01-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Well I will have to see it on DVD then. I do not have HBO :(

theyspunaweb
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Yay for my parents purchasing HBO. And seriously R rated stuff or worse is on there, so I think they totally could pull off the beginning of the book (I am still only about half way through it myself so this thread is one of the few I will venture into for UTD)

Spencer
01-22-2010, 01:49 PM
After having read the book, I'm less excited than I was, but I'm sure I'll check it out eventually.

IWasSentWest
01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
i want ryan seacrest to play barbie...

ok i lied lol....it should be done well though, considering it is HBO and no the SyFy channel. i'm guessing 5-6 2 hour episodes, which i hope will be done because it will capture everything and leave nothing to out.

chuxter
02-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I think Penn Teller should play Jim Rennie

<slinks back into non-existence>

Brice
02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I think Penn Teller should play Jim Rennie

<slinks back into non-existence>

Why do that? :(

And I agree Penn would be great.

IWasSentWest
02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
john goodman, if he wasn't so damn loveable

Stuffy-Guy
02-09-2010, 03:15 PM
John Goodman can do non-loveable.... Check him out in "Barton Fink". He'd be good here.

mae
05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/05/23/screenwriter-stephen-kings-under-the-dome

Scribe Michael Greene has been tasked with bringing the horror novelist legend's gigantic book to TV for a mini-series with producer Steven Spielberg overseeing the project.

Michael Greene (Green Lantern, TV's The River) will adapt Under the Dome for Dreamworks TV. Veteran director Steven Spielberg will oversee the project's development as producer as it transitions from novel to mini-series. Dreamworks TV is currently trying to find a home for it's new series Locke & Keye after the FOX network passed on the supernatural comic adapted program.

Hopefully it's still with HBO.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Hands down, this is Jim Rennie

http://estergoldberg.typepad.com/.a/6a0105349ca980970c011571e5bede970b-320wi

LadyHitchhiker
05-24-2011, 02:59 AM
John Goodman can do non-loveable.... Check him out in "Barton Fink". He'd be good here.

Or "fallen" with Denzel Washington

candy
05-24-2011, 11:37 AM
meh. I was never 100% taken with the book, I would have prefered one of his others but, hey ho

I still need to do a re-read, just trying to work up to it

EvaH
08-30-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stephen-king-steven-spielberg-team-229385

Stephen King and Steven Spielberg are at it again. The duo who previously teamed on The Talisman are developing a drama series based on King’s 2009 novel Under the Dome. The project, which will be produced by DreamWorks Television, revolves around locals a Maine locale who battle each other when a force field surrounds their town and cuts them off from the remainder of the world. King will executive produce along with DreamWorks TV’s Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank. No writer is currently attached.
DreamWorks TV also produces Spielberg’s TNT alien invasion drama Falling Skies, which was recently picked up for a second season, and had the Toni Collette dramedy United States of Tara at Showtime.
King and Peter Straub’s fantasy novel The Talisman was published in 1984, which TNT developed into a six-part miniseries in 2006; the project was ultimately scraped due to budget concerns.

mae
08-30-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=81616

As reported back in 2009, Steven Spielberg and Stephen King are teaming for a television adaptation of King's novel Under the Dome. Now, Deadline reports that Showtime has stepped in as the home for the upcoming series.

The book revolves around the drama that unfolds after an invisible force field suddenly descends on a small vacation town in Maine. As the locals fight for their survival, the town descends into warring factions led by enigmatic characters.

Spielberg, King and DreamWorks' Stacey Snider will executive produce along with DreamWorks TV chiefs Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey. No other creative talent has yet been announced, but that is expected to change in the very near future.

mikeC
08-31-2011, 06:25 AM
I hope Sir Raul Esperaza watches it and realizes that Romeo "Rommie" Burpee isn;t from India.

Iwritecode
08-31-2011, 09:50 AM
i want ryan seacrest to play barbie...

ok i lied lol....it should be done well though, considering it is HBO and no the SyFy channel. i'm guessing 5-6 2 hour episodes, which i hope will be done because it will capture everything and leave nothing to out.

Ryan Gosling would be a better choice for Barbie IMO.

mikeC
09-01-2011, 07:48 AM
I think rather than a couple things that may or may not be filmed this one could actually happen. I don't see a need for a huge budget, just the beginning and the end would need special effects. 1/4 of the character arcs could be cut without hurting the overall adaptation.
I hope Dan Castellaneta gets a part.

mae
09-01-2011, 08:43 AM
I hope Dan Castellaneta gets a part.

http://www.venue.nu/images/photoalbum/album_5/Fark-I-see-what-you-did-there_1_t2.jpg

mikeC
09-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Haha, yea.

Merlin1958
09-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Not to be nit-picky, but is it HBO or Showtime?

mae
09-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Showtime.

Merlin1958
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Showtime.

thanks!!

mae
09-01-2011, 06:32 PM
King did mention HBO by name a while back. But the official word right now is Showtime. Hopefully HBO gets The Dark Tower.

Merlin1958
09-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Showtime is cool. I guess they have more to "prove" in the mini-series dept. Brotherhood though was excellent and I could see them doing justice to UTD!!

mae
11-07-2011, 08:04 PM
http://collider.com/brian-k-vaughn-under-the-dome/125302/

Award-winning comic book/television writer Brian K. Vaughan (Lost) has signed on to adapt iconic author Stephen King’s Under the Dome as a series for Showtime. King’s 2009 novel is a supernatural thriller that pits local folks against each other when they find their vacation town in Maine (obviously) cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious force field. The story rights were secured by DreamWorks’ Television’s Steven Spielberg and Stacey Snider shortly after publication.

Known for his work on some of the more memorable episodes of Lost (“Meet Kevin Johnson”), Vaughan is also the writer behind comic book series “Y: The Last Man,” “Ex Machina,” and “Runaways.” Hit the jump for more on Under the Dome.

Deadline reported on Vaughan’s selection by Showtime to adapt Under the Dome after an exhaustive search. The writer might also have plans to serialize his successful comic series, Y: The Last Man, though the project seems to have stalled. He’ll have plenty of material to keep him busy in the meantime, as King’s Under the Dome comes it at over 1,000 pages. (I have yet to read it as it is currently acting as a very reliable doorstop.).

mikeC
11-08-2011, 08:22 AM
http://collider.com/brian-k-vaughn-under-the-dome/125302/

Award-winning comic book/television writer Brian K. Vaughan (Lost) (“Meet Kevin Johnson”), Vaughan is also the writer behind comic book series “Y: The Last Man,” “Ex Machina,” and “Runaways.”

This is great news.

Bev Vincent
11-08-2011, 08:26 AM
In the words of Damon Lindelof: Brian K. Vaughan adapting Stephen King's UNDER THE DOME is pretty much the chocolate meets peanut butter of writing.

Erin
11-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm thrilled about this!

noal
11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Nice, I really enjoyed UTD.

wahlers
11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I really hope they fix the ending. I thought it was easily one of his worst endings ever and also don't think it would work onscreen at all.

mae
04-07-2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.meltcomics.com/blog/2012/03/16/brian-k-vaughan-saga/

When Brian K. Vaughan was a child, he thought that comic books could be cut up, rearranged and turned into new stories. “From the first comic book I read, I wanted to get into it and start ripping it apart,” he recalls inside Meltdown right before the release party for his latest series, Saga.

It’s no wonder that Vaughan eventually started writing comic books. The Eisner-winning author has a host of credits under his belt, including Runaways, Ex Machina, Pride of Baghdad and Y: The Last Man. He’s written for scores of other series too, like X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman and Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight. On top of that, Vaughan is a TV writer who worked on Lost. Currently he’s writing the pilot for Under the Dome, a Stephen King novel that Dreamworks is adapting into a Showtime series. “[King] likes what I’ve done so far, so I can die a happy man,” he says.

Vaughan appears relatively unassuming inside Meltdown. He shaves his head and was wearing a black button-down shirt when we met, not too different from others inside the store. He’s also humble. He refers to himself as “Forrest Gump-ing” his way across the entertainment landscape, from film school to comic books to television.

Vaughan, who grew up in Cleveland, was a film student at NYU when he took part in Marvel’s Stan-Hattan Project. Through that, he got his first gig, writing dialog for X-Men offshoot Cable. He was a college junior at the time. He credits getting the job to “proximity”– his NYU dorm was near Marvel’s office. In the days before everyone was online, that made a difference for rush work.

Comic books was a welcome respite for the film student. “Every student movie was sort of a failed science experiment,” he says, “whereas with comics, I could do whatever I wanted.”

Vaughan learned a lot from working on superhero comics, but says he had difficulty writing for characters that were so deeply embedded in pop culture. As a kid, he was a fan of icons like Spider-Man and Batman, but his perspective on comics had changed after he read Watchmen. “I don’t want to follow characters around, I want to follow this writer,” he says of his reaction to Alan Moore’s now classic story. After that Vaughan gravitated towards titles like Peter Bagge’s Hate and Daniel Clowes’ Eightball. Later, as an adult working in the comic book industry, he was ready to do something on his own as well.

That chance came after a slight mishap. Vaughan was trying to break into the Vertigo world for a while with no luck.

“It was almost like having a couple Marvel projects under your belt hurt you more than it helped you,” he says. “I didn’t have any cred because I was just another lousy superhero writer.”

Eventually, he found a way inside the imprint. “I got a job writing Swamp Thing for Vertigo and did just a terrible job on that and got that book canceled,” he says. It’s a strange start for sure, but the relationship didn’t end there. Editor extraordinaire Karen Berger asked him to start pitching ideas and Y: The Last Man came into being. It won awards and was optioned for a film. And if you saw Tuesday night’s broadcast of Damon Lindelof’s conversation with Vaughan at Meltdown, then you know that Y was an influence on the Lost co-creator as well.

Vaughan impressed others in the industry too. Thanks to some encouragement from Joss Whedon, he ended up in Los Angeles, where his agent who found out that Lost was in need of a writer. Soon, he had a new job.

“I thought that writing for one visual medium would prepare me for the other, but they’re very different,” he says.

“Writing for television is sort of like a low stakes version of being a presidential speech writer,” he adds. “It’s not your job to come up with policy. It’s your job to sort of help the voice of the administration.”

Vaughan learned the T.V. game on the job. He says that people were nice, but there was still the sense that he was the new kid, not just to the show but to the industry. There was a lot of guidance from showrunners Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, though, and his work with Lost went well. “My contributions tended to be small, but I hope, helpful,” he says.Despite his T.V. success, Vaughan never strayed far from comics. He was actually writing five books when he started working on Lost and continued with Ex Machina until its conclusion in 2010. He began fleshing out Saga with artist Fiona Staples not long after that with the hope that it will be his longest running series yet.

“This is in my blood,” he says of comic books. “This is what I like doing most.”

harrison ryan
04-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Vaughan's comics have always been among my faves. Didn't know he was involved with UTD...welcome news!

RichardHawes
04-08-2012, 07:04 AM
is this still a go? Ive kind of put it as a wishful thought like the talisman series ive been waiting on for so long...Hes obviously young and has the credentials...It has to be darker though and if Dexter is any indication Showtime has no issues showing that

TLC
04-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Interesting!!!!!!!

Bev Vincent
11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Stephen King is coming back to broadcast TV. CBS is giving the author’s Under the Dome a 13-episode series order.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/29/under-the-dome-cbs/

Fans of the novel shouldn’t expect an exact retelling of the same story. Last we heard, writer Brian K. Vaughan’s (Lost) script for Dome was wisely using the novel’s setup as a launch pad for its own TV-format-friendly version of the story and might even lay the groundwork for a different outcome than the novel’s ending. Also, the CBS version is definitely a series, not a mini-series, with a finale episode that will leave the story open for more seasons.

RichardX
11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm sensing every down on his luck B-actor in Hollywood will get in on this one. The TV network mini-series road is rarely a kind one. Lots of bad acting, cheesy dialogue, and endless commercials. It can still be entertaining, but my expectations are very low.

mae
11-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Official press release:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2012/11/29/cbs-will-take-viewers-under-the-dome-in-summer-2013-network-orders-13-episode-series-based-on-stephen-kings-best-selling-novel-814213/20121129cbs03/

CBS WILL TAKE VIEWERS "UNDER THE DOME" IN SUMMER 2013

Network Orders 13-Episode Series Based on Stephen King's Best-Selling Novel

CBS Entertainment and CBS Television Studios Join Forces with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television and Simon & Schuster For Summer 2013 Television Event

STUDIO CITY, Calif. - CBS has given a straight-to-series order for 13 episodes of UNDER THE DOME, a serialized drama from Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television based on Stephen King's best-selling novel of the same name. The series will be broadcast in summer 2013.

UNDER THE DOME is the story of a small New England town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town's inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away.

CBS and Simon & Schuster will cross-promote the television series and book in advance of the show's summer launch with the April 2013 re-release of trade paperback and electronic editions from its Pocket Books imprint. UNDER THE DOME was initially published by Simon & Schuster's Scribner imprint in November 2009, earning widespread critical acclaim and #1 best-seller status.

"This is a great novel coming to the television screen with outstanding auspices and in-season production values to create a summer programming event," said Nina Tassler, President of CBS Entertainment. "We're excited to transport audiences UNDER THE DOME and into the extraordinary world that Stephen King has imagined."

In addition to the featured broadcast on CBS, UNDER THE DOME will have a unique programming model tailored for a summer launch with a multi-platform window available for each episode shortly after the network airing. The series will be distributed domestically by CBS Television Distribution and worldwide by CBS Studios International.

CBS Television Studios will produce the series in association Amblin Television. Neal Baer, Stephen King, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider and Brian K. Vaughan, who wrote the television adaptation, will serve as executive producers. Acclaimed director Niels Arden Oplev will direct the first episode.

About CBS Corporation

CBS Corporation (NYSE: CBS.A and CBS) is a mass media company that creates and distributes industry-leading content across a variety of platforms to audiences around the world. The Company has businesses with origins that date back to the dawn of the broadcasting age as well as new ventures that operate on the leading edge of media. CBS owns the most-watched television network in the U.S. and one of the world's largest libraries of entertainment content, making its brand - "the Eye" - one of the most recognized in business. The Company's operations span virtually every field of media and entertainment, including cable, publishing, radio, local TV, film, outdoor advertising, and interactive and socially responsible media. CBS's businesses include CBS Television Network, The CW (a joint venture between CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Entertainment), Showtime Networks, CBS Sports Network, Smithsonian Networks, Simon & Schuster, CBS Television Stations, CBS Radio, CBS Outdoor, CBS Television Studios, CBS Global Distribution Group, CBS Interactive, CBS Consumer Products, CBS Home Entertainment, CBS Films and CBS EcoMedia. For more information, go to www.cbscorporation.com.

About Amblin Television

With UNDER THE DOME, Amblin Television produces five series at five networks; this joins season #2 of "Smash" at NBC, season #3 of "Falling Skies" at TNT, season #1 of "The Americans" at FX, and season #3 of THE BORGIAS at Showtime. Amblin is run by Co-Presidents Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank, who have been with DreamWorks/Amblin for 17 years.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-30-2012, 04:50 AM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-under-the-dome-steven-spielberg-stephen-king-cbs-20121129,0,4608809.story

mae
11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
See the corresponding thread in The Oracle for more information.

mattgreenbean
11-30-2012, 11:04 AM
CBS = Reality tv. Hope the show doesn't get canceled before the ending.

mtdman
12-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Didn't like the book, have low expectations for this.

Jimimck
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Loved the book, have high expectations for this.

I'm not too worried about them changing the ending of the story for multiple season's, but I hope they don't stray too far from the overall theme of the book.

mae
01-03-2013, 10:02 AM
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130102/ARTICLES/130109951/1177?Title=Stephen-King-TV-series-Under-the-Dome-to-film-here

A CBS television series based on a best-selling Stephen King novel will film in Wilmington, according to local film industry sources.

"Under the Dome," a 13-episode series based on the author's 2009 book, is expected to open production offices at EUE/Screen Gems Studios next week, sources said.

The show will air this summer, according to a CBS news release.

"Under the Dome" will join NBC's "Revolution" as the second TV series to film in the Port City in 2013.

The dramas have something else in common: their characters struggle to survive in a post-apocalyptic environment.

"Under the Dome" is set in a small New England town suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town's inhabitants must deal with dire living conditions while searching for answers about the barrier, according to the network.

"Revolution" follows a family trying to survive 15 years after all electronic equipment stops working. The NBC series, which began filming in the region in early July after filming its pilot in Georgia, took a midseason break Nov. 26. It will air new episodes again in March at 10 p.m. on Mondays.

"Under the Dome" will be produced by King and Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television. Niels Arden Oplev – director of the original Swedish version of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" – will direct the first episode.

No casting details have been announced.

ChristineB
01-04-2013, 12:50 AM
"The dramas have something else in common: their characters stuggle to survive in a post-apocalyptic environment."

WHAT? UTD wasn't a a post-apocalyptic environment, am I missing something here?

Iwritecode
01-04-2013, 10:42 AM
"The dramas have something else in common: their characters stuggle to survive in a post-apocalyptic environment."

WHAT? UTD wasn't a a post-apocalyptic environment, am I missing something here?

Some writers rarely let facts get in the way of a good story.

Bev Vincent
01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I think what happens could be described as a mini-apocalypse, and the environmental issues were very important to the town after the dome came down.

Bev Vincent
01-12-2013, 10:43 AM
The launch date is June 24th

CBS has announced its summer schedule, including the premiere date of its eagerly anticipated adaptation of Stephen King’s bestselling novel Under the Dome and the return of resurrected crime procedural Unforgettable.

Dome follows a New England town that’s sealed off from the rest of the world by a mysterious invisible force field. CBS screened a video teased up Dome for TV critics at the network’s press tour session in Pasadena on Saturday with a reel that included interviews with King and showrunner Brian K. Vaughan. “It’s really exciting to take the book and possibly expand it,” King said. “That’s what TV is for … TV is an expansive medium.” King said he’s particularly pleased to have Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment producing the show. “I’ve always wanted to work with Steven,” King said. “Our view of American life is similar … we both see the extraordinary in ordinary things and people.”

The first trailer for Dome’s 13-episode debut season will air during CBS’ coverage of the Super Bowl next month. The network’s entertainment president Nina Tassler teased that the first season will conclude with a major piece of information being revealed about the mystery of the force field.

>>> Source (http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/12/under-the-dome-date/)

Bev Vincent
01-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Stephen King & Brian K. Vaughan Talk 'Under the Dome' (http://www.craveonline.com/tv/articles/202949-stephen-king-a-brian-k-vaughan-talk-under-the-dome)

Bev Vincent
01-15-2013, 03:15 AM
We Bought A Zoo co-star Colin Ford has become the first actor cast in Under The Dome, a 13-episode series from Steven Spielberg and Stephen King to air this summer.

>> Source (http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/colin-ford-cast-in-cbs-series-under-the-dome-based-on-stephen-kings-novel/#more-404451)

P.S. I was Scarecrow Joe (http://www.scarecrowjoe.com/), once upon a time...

Randall Flagg
01-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Yes you were. I was one of the people who figured out the puzzle and won a book.
http://www.chestersmillmiddleschool.com/The/old/cath3drals/are/good/,/but/the/gre4t/blue/d0m3/that/hangs/over/everything/is/better./--Thomas_Carlyle/index.php

Merlin1958
01-15-2013, 06:20 PM
The launch date is June 24th

CBS has announced its summer schedule, including the premiere date of its eagerly anticipated adaptation of Stephen King’s bestselling novel Under the Dome and the return of resurrected crime procedural Unforgettable.

Dome follows a New England town that’s sealed off from the rest of the world by a mysterious invisible force field. CBS screened a video teased up Dome for TV critics at the network’s press tour session in Pasadena on Saturday with a reel that included interviews with King and showrunner Brian K. Vaughan. “It’s really exciting to take the book and possibly expand it,” King said. “That’s what TV is for … TV is an expansive medium.” King said he’s particularly pleased to have Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment producing the show. “I’ve always wanted to work with Steven,” King said. “Our view of American life is similar … we both see the extraordinary in ordinary things and people.”

The first trailer for Dome’s 13-episode debut season will air during CBS’ coverage of the Super Bowl next month. The network’s entertainment president Nina Tassler teased that the first season will conclude with a major piece of information being revealed about the mystery of the force field.

>>> Source (http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/12/under-the-dome-date/)

Stephen King & Brian K. Vaughan Talk 'Under the Dome' (http://www.craveonline.com/tv/articles/202949-stephen-king-a-brian-k-vaughan-talk-under-the-dome)

Thanks, Bev. That was great!!! Looking forward to it!!!

Jimimck
01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
So I'll actually be looking forward to the ads more than the Super Bowl this year lol.

ChristineB
01-16-2013, 04:05 AM
So I'll actually be looking forward to the ads more than the Super Bowl this year lol.

Isn't that the reason to watch the superbowl now days?

On topic note: I really hope they do a better job with this then they have with one about all the power going out all over the world forever (except of course if you have that little pendant), that is just the worst as of late, nothing happens for an hour and then the episode is over... I was left going, so what happened? after just about all the 1st season episodes. Hopefully this is better.

mae
01-23-2013, 07:37 AM
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/natalie-martinez-alex-koch-cast-in-cbs-under-the-dome-series/

Among the barrage of pilot pickups this evening, CBS closed two casting deals for Under The Dome, its 13-episode summer series from Steven Spielberg and Stephen King. Natalie Martinez and Alex Koch have joined the show based on King’s bestselling 2009 novel. Under The Dome is set in Chester’s Mill, a small New England town suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town’s inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away. Martinez will play Linda, a young, ambitious deputy, fiercely loyal to Sheriff Duke Perkins, who runs a tight ship in the town of Chester’s Mill. Koch, repped by WME and One Entertainment, will play Junior Rennie, son of the local politician and car dealer, who is a smart, secretly deeply disturbed college freshman desperately in love with local girl Angie, a waitress who’s desperate to get out of Chester’s Mill. Martinez, repped by WME and Mosaic, stars in Broken City.

Bev Vincent
01-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Alex Koch is described by EW as a "newcomer"

mae
01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-under-dome-adds-nashville-glee-416258

CBS' Under the Dome has added a pair to its rapidly growing cast.

Glee's Jolene Purdy and Nashville's Nicholas Srong have joined the cast of the summer drama based on the book by Stephen King, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The series follows residents in the Chester's Mill community as they deal with the postapocalyptic conditions that ensue when a strange barrier mysteriously encapsulates the town.

Purdy, who played tough-girl Ronnie in a handful of episodes of Fox's Glee, will play Dodee, a brilliant, eccentric engineer at the local radio station who uses her skills to make contact with the world outside the dome. Strong, who plays JT on the ABC freshman drama, will play Phil, a popular radio DJ and indie rock fan who's a charismatic figure with a dark secret. Both roles are series regulars.

They join the previously cast Britt Robertson (The Secret Circle), who willplay Angie, an attractive young waitress and aspiring nurse who has always dreamed of escaping Chester's Mill; and CSI: New York's Natalie Martinez as Deputy Linda, a young, ambitious deputy who is fiercely loyal to Sheriff Duke Perkins and runs a tight ship in the town. Newcomer Alex Koch will play Junior Rennie, the son of the local politician and car dealer who is a smart and deeply disturbed college freshman who is desperately in love with Angie. Jake and the Never Land Pirates' Colin Ford rounds out the gang thus far as casting on the drama continues.

CBS Television Studios will produce the drama, which was picked up straight to series, in association with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television. Neal Baer (A Gifted Man, Law & Order: SVU), King, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider and comic scribe Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Lost) -- who penned the Under the Dome television adaptation -- will serve as executive producers. Director Niels Arden Oplev (Unforgettable, Sweden's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) will direct the first episode.

Purdy, whose credits include Gigantic, 10 Things I Hate About You and Raising Hope, is repped by Buchwald Fortitude and Vanguard. Strong, who plays Scarlett and Gunnar's new pal on Nashville has also appeared in an episode of The Office, is with Coronel Group.

Bev Vincent
01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm still waiting for them to cast someone I've heard of.

Merlin1958
01-29-2013, 11:20 AM

I hear that, Bev!!! LOL

Jimimck
01-29-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm digging the new avatar Bev...

Merlin1958
01-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Check his "sig" as well!!!

Bev Vincent
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks! The cover looks phenomenal. I was really pleased by it.

herbertwest
01-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Joe Scarecrow? :)

Bev Vincent
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
I think that's the first role they cast -- the first one announced, anyway.

Merlin1958
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
So far, the production is not at all promising, but perhaps it can get better. Seems like another disappointing SK TV adaption!!!

Jimimck
01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
So far, the production is not at all promising, but perhaps it can get better. Seems like another disappointing SK TV adaption!!!

What are you basing that on? Just the casting?

I'm thinking unknown actors will be cool, as that way you don't add preconceptions to their characters.

Merlin1958
01-29-2013, 04:53 PM

What are you basing that on? Just the casting?

I'm thinking unknown actors will be cool, as that way you don't add preconceptions to their characters.

Maybe negatively, but basing it on previous "made for TV" productions, I could be horribly (and I hope so) wrong!!!

Jimimck
01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Nah I think they will do a great job with this (being optimistic).

I haven't watched Bag of Bones (just started reading it actually), so can't comment on that, but I loved Storm of the Century. I think a lot of the made for TV stuff is pretty good for the most part...

mae
01-29-2013, 06:51 PM

I was used to the old one so this one still throws me.

mae
01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm wondering what sort of trailer we'll see during the Super Bowl if they're still casting.

jhanic
01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Regarding the casting of the show. I also am glad that most of the proposed cast will be virtual unknowns. One of the objections I had with the Law and Order series was that often the "bad guy" in one show was also the "bad guy" in another one. It kind of took the fun out of it.

John

Merlin1958
01-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Regarding the casting of the show. I also am glad that most of the proposed cast will be virtual unknowns. One of the objections I had with the Law and Order series was that often the "bad guy" in one show was also the "bad guy" in another one. It kind of took the fun out of it.

John

I know what you mean. Usually the "Perp" was the guest star!!!! LOL

Ari_Racing
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
When does the superbowl take place?

Merlin1958
02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
When does the superbowl take place?

This Sunday!!!!

Ari_Racing
02-01-2013, 01:50 PM
:) Thanks, Bill!

Merlin1958
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
:) Thanks, Bill!

You're very welcome. You may want to sit and watch the game whilst you feed your beautiful new daughter!!! LOL

Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers!!!!!

Ari_Racing
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
You know...some of USA's most popular sports don't seem to get me. I'm not a huge fan of basketball (I watch a game every once and then), and I never watched a full game of Football or Baseball (even when I saw plenty of films that have them and show the passion people have for 'em as well. And I'm a fan of sports but so far I couldn't match anything like soccer. I find baseball and Football too slow and with several pauses, too technical and studied. Soccer is more animal, more instinct and guts. That's what I love of it. :)

Nevertheless, I'll be more than glad to attend a Baseball match next time I visit USA!

Merlin1958
02-01-2013, 02:18 PM
You know...some of USA's most popular sports don't seem to get me. I'm not a huge fan of basketball (I watch a game every once and then), and I never watched a full game of Football or Baseball (even when I saw plenty of films that have them and show the passion people have for 'em as well. And I'm a fan of sports but so far I couldn't match anything like soccer. I find baseball and Football too slow and with several pauses, too technical and studied. Soccer is more animal, more instinct and guts. That's what I love of it. :)

Nevertheless, I'll be more than glad to attend a Baseball match next time I visit USA!

That's very cool of you. Ari. Piece of advice? If you do take in a "Baseball match" locally, refer to it as a "Ball game"!!! LOL And get a "Dog and a beer"!!! You're "OK" in my book, Ari!!!! Best wishes for the new addition to your family!!!

Ari_Racing
02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Well, Bill, if you're close to the place I visit, we can go together if you want! :) I'll be more than glad to join you and support the Yankees if I watch a game. :)

Merlin1958
02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Well, Bill, if you're close to the place I visit, we can go together if you want! :) I'll be more than glad to join you and support the Yankees if I watch a game. :)

Now, there is a "Good Man"!!! It would be my pleasure!!!

We better get back on "topic" though"!!!!! LOL

Ari_Racing
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Now...I'll watch the game next sunday to see the teaser. :)

ChristineB
02-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Ari, the reason most of us in the US watch the superbowl anymore is for the commercials, probably the only time on tv the skip forward button on my dvr is used during the show and not during the commercials. :)

Ari_Racing
02-02-2013, 11:24 AM
LOL.
So the experience actually is about the commercials, not the sport ;)

jhanic
02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
A bit of a correction--you'll have the fans of either of the teams watching for the game. The rest of us watch for the commercials.

John

Jambino
02-02-2013, 02:17 PM
I will have to respectfully disagree as football is hands down the most popular sport in the U.S.

For 3 years in a row the Super Bowl has set a record for the most watched television show in U.S. history, and I don't think it's because of the commercials.

Jimimck
02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Not just the commercials. Don't forget the half time show.

herbertwest
02-03-2013, 03:25 AM
I will have to respectfully disagree as football is hands down the most popular sport in the U.S.

For 3 years in a row the Super Bowl has set a record for the most watched television show in U.S. history, and I don't think it's because of the commercials.

Let's not forget that there arent only the US watching, but it became an international event.... for the ads for instance ;)
(PS : i dont watch it. i dont care about soccer, nor american football)

Bev Vincent
02-03-2013, 06:42 AM
I liked this tweet I saw today: "I like to go out during the Super Bowl and pretend I am the only survivor in a post-apocalyptic wasteland"

ChristineB
02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Ahh yes and this also. ;)

Not just the commercials. Don't forget the half time show.

ChristineB
02-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I have to say I do end up watching most of the game, but really the only reason I do is for the commercials any more and to see what antics the half time show has to offer this year (can anyone say Janet?). I will dvr it and then watch it, just cause it is the most watch thing on tv doesn't mean the majority of watchers are doing so for the game. :)

Ari_Racing
02-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Hashtag #StephenKing just exploded on Twitter, so I guess the trailer has been shown now...

Ari_Racing
02-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJPDwIvR004

www.underthedome.com

EXPLORER
02-03-2013, 06:51 PM
go to underthedome.com and do what it says... kinda interesting response

mae
02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Meh. Not ever a teaser.

Jimimck
02-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Agree, not much of a teaser at all. I liked the promotional video they did for the book more than that.

herbertwest
02-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Agree, not much of a teaser at all. I liked the promotional video they did for the book more than that.

It was way too early to get a trailer : we are discovering, little by little, the casting, so..

mae
02-04-2013, 02:59 AM
Wonder if they're still casting how will they be able to premiere thus summer. Seems kinda fast.

Bev Vincent
02-04-2013, 03:08 AM
Filming is supposed to begin this month.

mae
02-06-2013, 07:10 AM
http://www.eurweb.com/2013/02/aisha-hinds-joins-stephen-king-series-under-the-dome/

Fresh from its mysterious Super Bowl ad, CBS announces the addition of “True Blood” vet Aisha Hinds to the budding cast “Under the Dome.”

Based on the book by Stephen King, the summer series follows residents in the Chester’s Mill community as they deal with the post-apocalyptic conditions that ensue when a strange dome mysteriously encapsulates the town.

Hinds, who played psychic Miss Jeanette on the HBO vampire drama, has been tapped to play Carolyn Hill, an L.A. entertainment attorney trapped in Chester’s Mill while driving through town with her partner and their daughter on the way to deliver their teen to a camp for troubled youth.

Hinds, who next appears as a detective in the CW’s midseason drama “Cult,” joins a cast that also includes “Secret Circle’s” Britt Robertson, “CSI: NY’s” Natalie Martinez, Jolene Purdy, Nicholas Strong, Alex Koch and Colin Ford.

CBS Television Studios will produce the drama, which was picked up straight to series, in association with Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television.

“Under the Dome” premieres June 24 on CBS.

Bev Vincent
02-06-2013, 07:24 AM
They seem to be casting many of the smaller roles first -- or at least announcing them that way.

mae
02-12-2013, 06:53 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/under-dome-cbs-amazon-make-420330

CBS is getting an injection of capital as well as potential new viewers for its Stephen King summer series Under the Dome.

The network has struck a content licensing deal with Amazon.com, which will grant Amazon Prime members unlimited access to the serialized drama four days after the network broadcast. The deal will also allow for Dome, which will be produced by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television and CBS TV Studios, to be purchased and downloaded exclusively on Amazon Instant Video. The news comes a week after Amazon inked an agreement to become the exclusive online subscription home for PBS’ Downton Abbey, and offers CBS another revenue source for an ambitious series set to air during a less lucrative time of year for broadcast networks.

in its bid to attract summertime viewers and attention lost to cable in recent years, Dome, which is based on King’s best-selling novel of the same name, is set to premiere on June 24 and run through the otherwise reality heavy summer months on CBS. The drama, which has already cast such actors as Secret Circle's Britt Robertson, CSI: NY's Natalie Martinez and True Blood's Aisha Hinds, centers on a small New England town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The King novel landed at the top of the best-seller list when it was first published by CBS sibling Simon & Schuster's Scribner imprint in 2009.

Last November, CBS ordered 13 episodes of the series under an innovative financing structure where the network would seek a subscription video-on-demand partner. The arrangement made it possible to execute a high-end scripted drama during those summer months at lower license fees. On Monday, CBS announced that Amazon -- rather than Netflix or Hulu -- would be its partner on this series, and company executives are saying the fit makes sense.

“Amazon has the distinct combination of having a terrific video service with a huge fan base among their customers for Stephen King’s book, making them the perfect partner for this summer programming event. With this innovative agreement, we’re giving fans more options to watch and stay current with this serialized series, and doing so in a way that protects the Television Network’s C3 advertising window,” said CBS Corp’s chief corporate content licensing officer Scott Koondel of a series that will count Neal Baer (A Gifted Man, Law & Order: SVU), King, Dreamworks' Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider and comic scribe Brian K. Vaughan as executive producers.

For Amazon’s part, the move expands a Prime Instant Video library that now features more than 36,000 movies and TV episodes, including those of Fringe and The West Wing. The Netflix rival is also pushing into originals, having recently greenlighted six original comedies. Noted Brad Beale, director of digital video content acquisition for Amazon: “Adding a current season major network TV series like Under the Dome to the Prime Instant Video library so shortly after its live airing enables us to increase our exclusive selection of great TV shows and give customers access how, when and where they want to watch it.”

herbertwest
02-13-2013, 02:28 PM
'Pan Am' actor cast as 'Under the Dome' hero
>>>> http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/13/under-the-dome-mike-vogel/

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Mike_Vogel_Gitmo.jpg/220px-Mike_Vogel_Gitmo.jpg http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkwNDIzMTExOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk1NjEzMQ@@._ V1._SY314_CR18,0,214,314_.jpg

mae
02-14-2013, 07:04 AM
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/172427-barbie-has-been-found-for-stephen-kings-under-the-dome

Under the Dome has found its leading man. THR reports Mike Vogel (Cloverfield) has been cast in the CBS series adaptation of the Stephen King novel.

According to the site, Vogel will play Dale "Barbie" Barbara. When we first meet Dale, he's attempting to flee the town of Chester's Mill before it is cover by an invisible dome.

Dale is a key player in the book. For those that have read the novel, do you think Vogel is a good choice?

The actor will also be seen in Bates Motel (pictured) when that series hits A&E next month. Under the Dome kicks off June 24th on CBS.

Ari_Racing
02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Dean Norris (Breaking Bad) just confirmed that he'll be part of UNDER THE DOME!

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/dean-norris-baftas-7th-preemmy-tv-tea-party-1AUAkI.jpg

Will he play Jim?

Bev Vincent
02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Oh, he has to. That would be perfect. I read somewhere that he asked to be killed off from Breaking Bad at the end of the mid-season break so he could try out for a pilot for something else, but the showrunner wouldn't hear of it.

Ari_Racing
02-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Yes. I agree with you. He has to! :)

Ari_Racing
02-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Confirmed! He'll be Jim Rennie!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/breaking-bads-dean-norris-under-dome-421635

Iwritecode
02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
I wish I had more time to watch TV so I would know who these people are. :frown2:

Bev Vincent
02-14-2013, 12:32 PM
This is the first announcement where I recognize the actor. Dean Norris has been around forever. I don't think there's a crime show in the past 15 years he hasn't been on!

Jimimck
02-14-2013, 01:37 PM
He seems a little younger than the Jim in my head, but he sure does look the part!

Bryant Burnette
02-14-2013, 11:53 PM
This is the first announcement where I recognize the actor. Dean Norris has been around forever. I don't think there's a crime show in the past 15 years he hasn't been on!

AND he had a small role in The Lawnmower Man!

He'll be an excellent Big Jim. He's charming as hell on Breaking Bad, but he can also play tough-as-nails. This is GREAT casting.

Jimimck
02-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Bryant! welcome to the forum...

Bryant Burnette
02-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Bryant! welcome to the forum...

Thanks!

Ben Staad
02-15-2013, 12:16 AM
I really like the addition of Dean Norris to this. I pictured the part to be played by a taller man but he (Dean) brings the intensity that this role requires.

Bryant Burnette
02-15-2013, 12:19 AM
I really like the addition of Dean Norris to this. I pictured the part to be played by a taller man but he (Dean) brings the intensity that this role requires.

Yep. And he's also got enough likeability that you'll be able to see why Rennie would be able to accomplish the things he accomplishes. I hate it when bad guys are just totally loathsome; it always seems like they need to have a charming/charismatic side to them as well, because if they didn't, then why would people follow them?

I think Norris'll provide that handily.

Ben Staad
02-15-2013, 12:29 AM

Yep. And he's also got enough likeability that you'll be able to see why Rennie would be able to accomplish the things he accomplishes. I hate it when bad guys are just totally loathsome; it always seems like they need to have a charming/charismatic side to them as well, because if they didn't, then why would people follow them?

I think Norris'll provide that handily.

Yep, he can flash a great smile and provide that steely eyed politician look.

herbertwest
02-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Oh, he has to. That would be perfect. I read somewhere that he asked to be killed off from Breaking Bad at the end of the mid-season break so he could try out for a pilot for something else, but the showrunner wouldn't hear of it.

thanks for the spoiler :-(
I am at s02 of the last seaon...

Bev Vincent
02-15-2013, 03:09 AM
That's not a spoiler -- it's something that doesn't happen.

herbertwest
02-15-2013, 03:11 AM
Still a spoiler. Maybe in the next episodes i was going to be hooked and may think he was going to get shot? so now there is less tension ;-)

mattgreenbean
02-15-2013, 10:07 AM
He's going from one meth show to another that has a huge meth lab. Ironic.

Ricky
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
I hadn't even conisdered him for Big Jim, but think he's perfect!

mae
02-16-2013, 12:53 AM
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/

herbertwest
02-16-2013, 02:53 AM
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/ I quite like that header logo :)

Merlin1958
02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/

Good stuff, Pablo!!!! TDT.Org Sr. Correspondent!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

mae
02-20-2013, 06:08 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/19/rachelle-lefevre-cast-as-under-the-dome-female-lead/

The final major piece of casting for CBS’ Under the Dome has fallen into place: Rachelle Lefevre has landed the female lead in CBS’ summer thriller.

The actress will play Julia, an investigative reporter who’s just moved to Chester Mills who forms an interest in an Army veteran (Mike Vogel) on mysterious mission. They join a diverse cast that includes Dean Norris, Jolene Purdy, Nicholas Strong, Britt Robertson, Alex Kotch and Natalie Martinez.

Lefevre co-starred in CBS’ A Gifted Man, ABC’s Off the Map and the first Twilight film. Under the Dome is based on Stephen King’s bestselling novel about a small town abruptly sealed off from the outside world. The first season premieres June 24.

Ben Staad
02-20-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm not familar with her. Hopefully this will be good. Thanks for the update, Pablo!

Coulrophobia
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
This is a quote from Vanessa Ncasting Facebook page. (Found through http://talkstephenking.blogspot.com)

"Here it is, here is the big news... I am officially doing the Extras casting for the CBS series Under The Dome. this will shoot in the Wilmington, NC and surrounding areas. I will need a group of people that will work a lot over the next 6 months and be established faces that we see over and over. Please submit to utdextras@gmail.com I need the following info to be considered: FULL NAME, AGE, PHONE NUMBER, LOCATION, AVAILABILITY ie school, work, exc... HEAD AND BODY SHOT, SIZES AND MEASUREMENTS, TYPE OF VEHICLE YOU DRIVE, MAKE & MODEL. SUBJECT LINE: "A/S/L" CLARIFICATION I WANT YOU TO WRITE, YOUR AGE, YOUR SEX AND YOUR LOCATION IN THE SUBJECT LINE. AGE/SEX/LOCATION. We are very interested in character faces, diverse ethnicity, 30 years and up crowd. We start filming starting the beginning of March. I have not started casting for stand ins yet, I will once I get the full breakdown on them. Extras pay rate is 64/8."

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-26-2013, 07:19 AM
From the Mod at SKMB:

"Steve's going to be on the set for Under the Dome most of this week"

herbertwest
02-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Sounds like a cameo ;)

Bryant Burnette
02-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a cameo ;)

He'd be pretty good for the flight instructor whose plane gets crumpled into a ball at the beginning.

Jimimck
02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Ha now that would be awesome!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Sounds like a cameo ;)

He'd be pretty good for the flight instructor whose plane gets crumpled into a ball at the beginning.

Love that idea. :)

nocny
02-27-2013, 01:12 AM
But he is producer so isn't normal that he should be on the set?

Bryant Burnette
02-27-2013, 02:29 AM
But he is producer so isn't normal that he should be on the set?

Not as much as you'd think, no. Depends on what their role is. King's, I'd imagine, is largely honorific.

Bev Vincent
02-27-2013, 04:42 AM
Yes, his visit could be just a show of moral support for the production. Not saying there won't be a cameo, but a set visit doesn't guarantee one.

you ever seen a ghost?
02-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Yes, wasn't he involved in the writing of the project supposedly?

-justin

Bev Vincent
02-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Not that I've heard. He wrote the final script for Cell but I don't think he's had anything to do with this.

you ever seen a ghost?
02-27-2013, 08:00 AM
think i may have misread. some of the press releases had variations of this: "Under the Dome is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television. Neal Baer, Stephen King, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider and Brian K. Vaughan, who wrote the television adaptation, will serve as executive producers. Acclaimed director Niels Arden Oplev will direct the first episode."

it makes it look like he had some writing credit.

-justin

herbertwest
02-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Yes, his visit could be just a show of moral support for the production. Not saying there won't be a cameo, but a set visit doesn't guarantee one.

Doesnt mean either that there wouldnt be any cameo ;)

Coulrophobia
02-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Probably more about the $. The more the name is attached the more $/Residuals you make from the various perks that go along with it. Best case back in the day was to reach 100 episodes so it could go into syndication. Now with the internet, Amazon, and iTunes it is more profitable right out of the gate. Not even going to get into Season DVD sets.

Bev Vincent
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Yeah -- poorly phrased sentence. The qualifier about writing should stick to just Vaughan.

Ari_Racing
02-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Steve at the set!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/75895_420233161396684_2026643603_n.jpg

Coulrophobia
02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Thank you for providing this. Nice to see him there, and involved.

Bryant Burnette
02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
That's Mike Vogel behind him, right? Looks like he'll make for a good Dale, at least visually-speaking.

Ben Staad
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Nice photo, Ari. Thanks for posting it.

mae
03-05-2013, 10:08 AM
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/post/91192/steve-harrelson-cbs-stephen-king-that-underthedomecom-domain

When Steve Harrelson, the former state representative from Texarkana, accepted an offer of $7,800 for the domain name of his blog, UnderTheDome.com, in January, he thought the New York company that bought it was planning some kind of political site.

But he learned the truth from a 15-second ad while watching the Super Bowl last month: UnderTheDome.com is the new website for CBS' 13-part series based on the Stephen King bestseller, "Under the Dome."

"I saw it live. And then my phone started blowing up with texts from friends," Harrelson told Arkansas Business.

Harrelson said he had not really been misled because the buyer, a group from Staten Island called Falsone, had always been "vague" about its plans.

"But had I known [Steven] Spielberg, Stephen King and CBS were behind it, I would've been a little more shrewd," Harrelson said.

Still, the price he did get wasn't bad. Even now he describes it as "a pretty good chunk" for a domain name that he originally purchased for $100 in time for the 2007 legislative session.

Ari_Racing
03-06-2013, 10:24 AM
LA TIMES gets the scoop on taping UNDER THE DOME filmation:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-ct-onlocation-stephen-king20130306,0,1838251.story

Coulrophobia
03-06-2013, 10:36 AM
I look forward to June 24 it will be interesting to see how this does in the Summer season.

Coulrophobia
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Seems like a little behind the scene clip from Dean Norris. One cow was in the wrong place when the Dome came down.

http://vine.co/v/bpeuw2pIZUD

mae
03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
http://stateportpilot.com/news/article_c9ce29fe-9165-11e2-88db-001a4bcf887a.html

After a two-week hiatus, crews for the CBS production “Under the Dome” will return to Southport for shooting Thursday, in three key locations they visited in February and one new one.

The science fiction television series focuses on the town of Chester’s Mill, Maine, which suddenly finds itself cut off from the rest of the world by an impenetrable barrier. The series was adapted from a 2009 novel by Stephen King, who serves as one of its executive producers.

King made an appearance on the set last month. No word if he will be in Southport this time around.

Old Smithville Burying Ground will be the site of filming in the morning, with shots of a “walking scene” on the grounds from 9:30 a.m. to noon. Intermittent closures of Rhett Street between Moore and Nash are expected during that time period.

Mid-day shooting around Trinity United Methodist Church at Nash Street and Atlantic Avenue will commence around 10:30 a.m. and continue until 3 p.m. Crews shot scenes around the church and front yard of the post office last month, those involving a brown truck and an announcement from “Big Jim” Rennie, a central character of the plot. On Thursday, signs will be added to the church and surrounding area, with intermittent closures on Nash and Atlantic during filming hours.

On Bay Street between Atlantic and Caswell avenues, driving scenes with cameras on the side of the road will be filmed from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Afternoon and evening work will center on a residence in the 100 block of East Bay Street. On Monday, crews installed tile on the floors of one of the rooms of the home, painted the walls of another and dressed it as a bedroom. The downstairs has been set-up as a “funeral home,” with filming to occur between 2 and 11 p.m.

The production will utilize Taylor Field for parking and set-up and the Southport Community Building for meals during the day.

On Monday, overhead shots of Southport will be conducted via a drone equipped with a camera, but no crew work is expected to take place on the ground.

Old Smithville Burying Ground: http://goo.gl/maps/Re7Qj
Trinity United Methodist Church: http://goo.gl/maps/MWs2h
Bay Street between Atlantic and Caswell avenues: http://goo.gl/maps/oTuP4
Southport Community Building: http://goo.gl/maps/QFVXO

Ari_Racing
03-29-2013, 12:37 PM
The second teaser:

http://underthedome.com/intro/video/DOM30EMERGENCY_a01_4G_960.mp4

Bryant Burnette
03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
That's pretty cool. I wish it had some footage, but I'm sure that won't happen for a while yet.

Ricky
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
I hadn't seen that one, Ari. Thanks for posting!

mae
03-31-2013, 10:02 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/31/under-the-dome-producers-stephen-king-book-is-just-a-jumping-off-point/

Producers from CBS’s upcoming summer series Under the Dome, based on the novel by Stephen King, took to the WonderCon stage Saturday night to give the crowd a taste of what to expect from the series, starring Mike Vogel, Dean Norris, and Rachelle Lefevre.

On the show, premiering June 24, a small New England town is inexplicably cut off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome, leaving the town to deal with both the larger implications of their new predicament (dwindling resources, how the heck it got there) and smaller, character-based conflicts (lovers are split, personalities clash). But there’s much more to it all. Check out 5 highlights from the panel, which included Norris, Lefevre, and executive producers Neal Baer (ER, Law & Order: SVU), Jack Bender (Lost, Alias) and Brian K. Vaughan, who also acts as showrunner for the series.

+ It will deviate from the book
Vaughan said King gave them his blessing early on to expand the scope for the series. “He told us, ‘Really use the book as a jumping off point. Use the characters, use the themes, but don’t be afraid to go to new places.’” said Vaughan. In fact, Vaughan joked that during one of King’s visits to the writer’s room, the author was “really supportive of some things we changed from his book which I thought he was going to stab me for.”

+ This isn’t Lost, but we want to ‘rip off from lost as much as possible’
Even though Dome features Lost alums both in front of the camera (Jeff Fahey, who played Frank Lapidus, plays the sheriff in the pilot) and behind the scenes, don’t expect too many nods to the sci-fi staple. “The plan is for us to be us and to do a different show,” Bender said. But that doesn’t mean a few creative cues won’t be taken, added Vaughan. “All I know is that [after] Lost, there were a lot of shows that came on that were like, ‘Here’s what we’re going to do that’s better than Lost. We’re not ending up like Lost.’ And those shows are all gone,” he said. “So what I hope to do is rip off from lost as much as possible.” That starts with characters, he explained. His goal is to have those take center stage in the story and for the sci-fi element to merely compliment it. “Every week the characters get a chance to show you who they are,” said Lefevre.

+ We’re NOT a post-apocalyptic show
“If this dome landed today in LA, it wouldn’t be post-apocalyptic,” explained Bender. Dome is much more about ongoing chaos, they added, and among the biggest players in that unrest will be Norris’ Big Jim, a car dealership owner who seizes an chance to take control of his small town after it’s sealed off. “The Dome allows certain types of people — Big Jim being one of them — the opportunity to become a bit of a dictator and exercise his power because they are cut-off from anyone who would check that power,” he said.

+ There will be science behind it all
“We really want to follow the rules and make it as real as we can,” Baer said, talking about how the team consulted real-life scientists about the dome to find a grounding element to its mythology (what can pass through, its size). When King was presented with the findings, however, he offered some wise feedback. “He paused and said, ‘You know, you can just make s–t up, too,’” Vaughan said to laughs from the crowd.

+ They know how the show will end
With a 13 episode order and a big story to tell, producers said they’re, naturally, hoping for a long run. Whenever the end does come, however, “we have a final episode in mind that’s different from the book,” says Vaughan. “There’s a very cool, unexpected end to this dome, I think.”

An extended trailer for the show was also shown; it is expected to be released wide on Monday.

Jimimck
03-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks for posting Pablo, interesting read. I'm getting excited about this.

Not being TV producer (of course) I'm quite amazed at how quick you can film and get a TV show on to the air...

CyberGhostface
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Meh I'd have preferred an actual adaptation of the novel.

Merlin1958
03-31-2013, 01:41 PM
So, they're not doing a 13 episode "Mini-Series"? It could run longer? Am I reading that right?

Jimimck
03-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Yeah Bill, I've read earlier that they are planning for it to be multi series (if popular enough I guess)

Merlin1958
03-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah Bill, I've read earlier that they are planning for it to be multi series (if popular enough I guess)

Huh, could go either way then. I do hate when they have an "ending in mind" and then it becomes subject to the network as to whether the series ever gets a chance to tell the story (Remember "Carnivale"?).

And Jame's? I seen you post a hundred times and just now read your sig!!! Good one, dude!!! LOL

divemaster
03-31-2013, 06:08 PM

I agree. I would be excited to watch a multi-episode adaptation of the novel, even if they did have to change things up a bit. But this sounds like it could go on for as long as there are ratings. As in, "gee, we're picked up for another 26 episodes next year so we better make up a bunch of shit to keep people watching our advertisers."

Color me non-enthused.

mae
04-01-2013, 06:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irc2IcgkPKE

WeDealInLead
04-01-2013, 07:18 AM
That looks pretty good.

I have faith in the writter. It's M.F.ing Brian K. Vaughn, the man is brilliant.

mikeC
04-01-2013, 07:27 AM
This
"Under the Dome will air over thirteen weeks this summer, but Baer stressed it is not intended as a miniseries and they hope to continue for more seasons"
is just nonsense.
I'm not into the "we have an ending in mind".
That's Y: The last man was so great, it told a story, had a beginning middle and end.
I heard that why Lost was so terrible is that they just stretched out a show just for the sake of making more money.

How do you build tension when there's no ticking timebomb?
I like the idea of having web stuff that doesn't make it onto the show but the no ending thing makes me not want to watch.

Ben Staad
04-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Thank you for the video, Pablo. Looks like a fun show.

mae
04-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Looks like it could be one of the best or better King adaptations.

Merlin1958
04-01-2013, 04:28 PM

I agree. I would be excited to watch a multi-episode adaptation of the novel, even if they did have to change things up a bit. But this sounds like it could go on for as long as there are ratings. As in, "gee, we're picked up for another 26 episodes next year so we better make up a bunch of shit to keep people watching our advertisers."

Color me non-enthused.

Can anyone say "Season Three of Lost"??? LOL

Bryant Burnette
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
I heard that why Lost was so terrible is that they just stretched out a show just for the sake of making more money.

No, Lost's problem was that the ending sucked. Suuuuuuuuucked. I loved the first five seasons, and the sixth left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have almost no interest in ever rewatching the show again.

But that's just me. It worked for other people, I guess. I'm not inclined to judge Under the Dome before it airs, except to say that the small amount of footage that's out there now looks pretty good.

Ari_Racing
04-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Lost was an incredible show...until season 4, which was the worst. Season 5 was okay, and season 6 was poor again. And I agree, the ending sucked.

Randall Flagg
04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
WTF?
$5 to "preview" the trailer...
2013 SDCC WONDERCON CBS UNDER THE DOME STEPHEN KING PROMO PREVIEW CARD (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-SDCC-WONDERCON-CBS-UNDER-THE-DOME-STEPHEN-KING-PROMO-PREVIEW-CARD-/400455263075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3cfe6363)

Bryant Burnette
04-04-2013, 03:05 PM
WTF?
$5 to "preview" the trailer...
2013 SDCC WONDERCON CBS UNDER THE DOME STEPHEN KING PROMO PREVIEW CARD (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-SDCC-WONDERCON-CBS-UNDER-THE-DOME-STEPHEN-KING-PROMO-PREVIEW-CARD-/400455263075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3cfe6363)

What an odd thing to auction...

ChristineB
04-05-2013, 08:24 AM
From the listing: "Allows you to preview the highly anticipated CBS Series Under The Dome by Stephen King."

Not sure if it is for the trailer or an episode of the show. Strange if it is just the trailer.

ICry4Oy
04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
This
"Under the Dome will air over thirteen weeks this summer, but Baer stressed it is not intended as a miniseries and they hope to continue for more seasons"
is just nonsense.
I'm not into the "we have an ending in mind".
That's Y: The last man was so great, it told a story, had a beginning middle and end.

How do you build tension when there's no ticking timebomb?
I like the idea of having web stuff that doesn't make it onto the show but the no ending thing makes me not want to watch.

I agree. If it were just a long mini-series I'd be very excited for it. Thinking it is going to be a never-ending series makes me less and less enthused to see it.

mae
04-07-2013, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnGvsM9jZ08

Ari_Racing
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
The CBS adaptation of Stephen King’s Under the Dome may already be filming, but they’re still dragging in actors to go…Under the Dome. The latest casting news concerns actor Ned Bellamy who will be playing Reverend Coggins in the summer series.

Source: http://www.horror-movies.ca/2013/04/actor-ned-bellamy-goes-under-the-dome/

mae
04-13-2013, 01:06 AM
http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/13/stephen-king-gunfire-tv-set-shooting-elementary-school-under-dome/

Stephen King's knack for terror crossed the line this week into reality ... when his TV adaptation of a fictitious gunfight sent terrified young students scrambling for cover.

CBS is calling lights, camera, action on "Under the Dome" -- a sci-fi horror show based on King's novel about a town that gets trapped under an invisible force field.

The script called for a gunfight with all the sights and sounds. Problem is, the midday Tuesday shoot was filmed in a park just a few hundred yards from the Pine Valley Elementary School in Wilmington, N.C. ... and it sent everyone there into a blind panic.

Students on the playground after lunch got the worst of it ... and hotfooted it inside the building. It seemed so real ... a deputy on duty at the school put students in lockdown for 20 minutes until the source of the "gunfire" became apparent.

Although producers had obtained the proper permits to shoot the scene, we've learned cops and school officials were not warned about the midday Tuesday barrage.

And how ridiculous to film a shooting scene next to an elementary school?

Stephen King ... still scaring the kids.

Jimimck
04-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Aside from the seriousness of freaking kids like that, I did have to laugh at the last line...

mae
04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBtm6Gg0kjA

Jimimck
04-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks for posting. Hadn't seen that one.

Stebbins
04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Very excited for this series. Going to try to read the book before it begins.

ChristineB
04-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Start soon Stebbins, it's a brick and a half. :)

Stebbins
04-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Start soon Stebbins, it's a brick and a half. :)

I saw that last time I was at the library. Fortunately for me, in this context, I'm currently unemployed. So as soon as I finish and return The Dark Half, I'll be on it like white on rice. :D

needfulthings
05-03-2013, 11:09 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img580/561/img458q.jpg

mae
05-07-2013, 11:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyDMR1zrulQ

Stebbins
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm 700 pages into the book, and so far I think it's a top 10 (out of 34 read) for me. Certain elements of it remind me of The Stand, the prose is gorgeous, and the story is sewn together so well. Rooting for all the remaining good guys (though I'd be crazy if I didn't think at least one or two more were going to fall).

Roland of Gilead 33
05-07-2013, 07:02 PM
i'm dying to see this, no doubt some stuff prolly will be changed. i'm curious is this a mini-series that's 13 episodes or a show itself?

just based off the book?

Jimimck
05-07-2013, 08:17 PM
From what I've read, it is designed to be an initial 13 episode series, with an ending that (if popular enough I assume) can be adapted to allow for additional season(s)... The ending will be different from the book, regardless of how long the show is.

Disclaimer, the above is purely what I have come to beleieve from multiple articles etc discussing the show...

Roland of Gilead 33
05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
i've heard both, that it's a mini-series that is just 13 episode designed like a tv show. i forget where i read that awhile back. that's how i understood it.

but i also have heard what you just said. so it's kinda confusing which is which to be honest. also by the way, though i've never read the book from my understanding it takes place in only a week. if they are smart they won't make it that short. but longer if it is going to be a summer tv show if it's a hit that is.

Jimimck
05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Hmmm I read it when it first came out, and can't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was set over a longer time frame than a week...

Other readers? Care to remind me?
Cheers

Roland of Gilead 33
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
actually it was on here that i read that. i can't remember who posted it though

Jimimck
05-08-2013, 07:14 PM
You know, thats probably correct. The story was so epic, and left me exhusted after reading, so I'm probably thinking it took place over a longer time frame than it actually did....

Roland of Gilead 33
05-08-2013, 07:53 PM
it's funny how that sometimes happens doesn't it? take the show "Haven' for example if my math is Correct it's still (2010) when the show 1st started but since i read tonight that they will jump ahead 6 months next season my guess it'll be (2011) now. so it's more up to date i guess.

another example the book "IT" the book starts with of course Georgie's Death' and after that we get a chapter of them all being called by mike hanlon.
well that's May 28th (1985) ok well leaving out the (1958) storyline and the interludes that he put in. it takes place in a span of what 2 or 3 days at least. but if memory serves me right after the creature is Killed Bill does stay like a week trying to get Audra out of the catonic state that she was put in by Pennywise. cause half the book is over by the time that henry stabs Mike Hanlon.i think? and that book is over 1,000 pages as well.

yet when you read the book it does feel like it takes place in a span of a week doesn't it? or hell the show "Lost' before they fastforwarded in seasona 4 i think it was? we only got like what a few months of them on the island and it was still (2004) i think Claire had the baby in season 2 i think? i may be wrong on that though. i can't remember if it was in season 1 or 2. but either way each episode takes place in a manner of just 2 days. so it feels longer as well.

Bev Vincent
05-09-2013, 02:22 AM
The plan was to end the first season with a revelation about the origin or nature of the Dome but to leave the situation unresolved so it could continue for more seasons. They aren't looking to wrap the whole story up in 13 episodes.

mae
05-14-2013, 05:01 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Under-Dome-Photo-Reveals-Another-Big-Change-From-Stephen-King-Book-55625.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/55625/_1368471182.jpg

Those of us who have read Stephen King's Under the Dome know that Dale "Barbie" Barbara is one of the more capable and level-headed people trapped inside the mysterious dome that dropped down from the sky and has encapsulated an entire town. The photo above is one of three recently released glimpses of CBS' upcoming adaptation of the book, and aside from demonstrating Barbie's determination to get stuff done even when confined in a dome - in this case, make sure the airspace over the dome is shut down so planes don't crash into it - it's not particularly revealing. But it is one indication of pretty big deviation from the book. Why's he holding up a note to deliver a message to someone on the other side of the dome? We found out from one of the recent previews that people can't be heard through the dome. That's a change from the book, but we already knew that.

We can assume that the dome's mute-function will affect the story as people try to communicate with one another. But this next photo shows an even bigger change:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/55625/_1368471193.jpg

The caption for the image reads: "Deputy Linda (Natalie Martinez) and her fiancé, Rusty (Josh Carter), find themselves separated by a massive transparent dome that’s suddenly fallen on the town of Chester’s Mill"

Hold on a second. Linda and Rusty are on opposite sides of the dome? So which one's on the inside? From that preview I referenced earlier, it looks like Linda's in there with Barbie, which means Rusty is on the outside. In the book, both characters are under the dome. And while Linda's one of the more trustworthy deputies at the sheriff's department, her physician-assistant husband Rusty becomes the go-to guy for medical attention in Chester's Mill. Here, Rusty's been downgraded to fiance and bumped to the outside. Also, it looks like he's a fireman. We can probably also assume he and Linda don't have kids. But more importantly, who's tending to the sick and wounded under the dome if Rusty's on the outside? Rusty's a pretty big character in the book, so the fact that he's on the outside indicates some notable alterations to the story. It'll be interesting to see if elements from his character's story is transferred to some other character in the TV adaptation.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I still can't get over how perfect Dean Norris' casting is as Big Jim Rennie.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/55625/_1368471176.jpg

The photo is a bit less exciting, since we've seen the sight of Rennie looking upward in the trailer. Still, Dean Norris! Yay!

Under the Dome is set to premiere on CBS on Monday, June 24 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT. And it's expected to be available to Amazon Prime subscribers a few days later.

Bev Vincent
05-16-2013, 07:02 AM
The first full teaser trailer: http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/under-the-dome-trailer-cbs-video/

CyberGhostface
05-16-2013, 11:34 AM
To be honest I don't see how they can make more than a few seasons with the whole "trapped under the dome" storyline before it gets stale. Even Lost resolved "getting off the island" halfway through.

Bev Vincent
05-20-2013, 09:21 AM
They've made a lot of changes to the characters and their relationships. Even the most fundamental characters are not the same in many respects as they are in the book. That's not a bad thing--some of the changes are very interesting indeed--but people who get upset by non-faithful adaptations will find things to get upset about here!

Heather19
05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Oh boy, I don't really like the sound of that. I understand the need for some changes but when there's so many that it's not even like the story, that's when I start to get upset. The source material is really good, that to make a good season long mini-series out of it I wouldn't think they would need to change a lot. I also hate the idea of them continuing it on for a possible multiple seasons. Not sure how that would be stay fresh and interesting for an extended period of time.

I am excited about it though, so hopefully my worries are over nothing and I'll love it.

Ricky
05-20-2013, 01:58 PM
I also hate the idea of them continuing it on for a possible multiple seasons. Not sure how that would be stay fresh and interesting for an extended period of time.

This is my big thing as well. A mini-series would've been fantastic, giving them enough hours of television to do the whole book rather than cram everything into a 2 hr. movie. But now with possible multi-seasons? Not really a fan of that. But I am looking forward to the pilot, though.

divemaster
05-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I also hate the idea of them continuing it on for a possible multiple seasons. Not sure how that would be stay fresh and interesting for an extended period of time.

It's called "making it up as you go" and it is not good thing when you are ostensibly following source material.

"Well, we've pretty much run out of King's novel, but the network wants 26 more episodes. What should we do?"

"Just introduce some new characters. Make sure there's at least one hispanic, a spunky kid, and, oh, yeah, a gay guy. Check that, a lesbian. They're in the news these days. Plus, that hits the guy 24-35 demographic."

"So how do we get them in the dome?"

"Maybe a tunnel or something. Or maybe there's like some sci-fi reason that a hole opens in the top every new moon. That's it--we'll helicopter in the new cast."

"That doesn't really make a lot of sense."

"Who cares? We need ratings! LOST didn't make any sense and the dupes ate that shit up like gangbusters. They even made internet games out of it!"

"Ok, got it! New cast, new plot, make shit up, internet games. Solid Gold, baby!"

Yeah, not too excited.

Merlin1958
05-22-2013, 11:43 PM

It's called "making it up as you go" and it is not good thing when you are ostensibly following source material.

"Well, we've pretty much run out of King's novel, but the network wants 26 more episodes. What should we do?"

"Just introduce some new characters. Make sure there's at least one hispanic, a spunky kid, and, oh, yeah, a gay guy. Check that, a lesbian. They're in the news these days. Plus, that hits the guy 24-35 demographic."

"Maybe a tunnel or something. Or maybe there's like some sci-fi reason that a hole opens in the top every new moon. That's it--we'll helicopter in the new cast."

"Who cares? We need ratings! LOST didn't make any sense and the dupes ate that shit up like gangbusters. They even made internet games out of it!"

"Ok, got it! New cast, new plot, make shit up, internet games. Solid Gold, baby!"

Yeah, not too excited.

I'm Merlin1958 and I approve this message!!!

Could not have said it better!!!

TCCBodhi
05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't know about an ongoing series, but that might get them at least out of the weak book ending.

Caveat: I haven't watched ANY of the trailer material, so have no idea about casting or anything else.

Merlin1958
05-23-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't know about an ongoing series, but that might get them at least out of the weak book ending.

Caveat: I haven't watched ANY of the trailer material, so have no idea about casting or anything else.

I'm pretty sure that they have already indicated that the series will offer a different ending than the book. If I remember correctly they even have King's "blessing" and encouragement to do so. Still, I am very leery of this "ongoing series" angle versus a straight up "mini-series" event. FWIW, TCC, from all the advance teasers I have seen this looks very promising and so far the casting appears to be "spot-on", if that helps you in any way.

Bev Vincent
05-24-2013, 03:14 AM
King says: “I’ve seen the first two episodes in rough cut, without all the effects in. It looks good. It’s not exactly like the book. It’s like a pogo stick: It hits big set pieces in the book, then bounces in its own direction. So that’s fine. You know what’ll happen is the purists who loved the book will probably scream, ‘Well, this is different and that isn’t there…’ But I think most people are going to like it. I hope they will.”

Rainet
05-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Can't wait. This looks to be a very cool series. Great for a nice summertime watch.

ICry4Oy
05-24-2013, 09:27 AM
..... Still, I am very leery of this "ongoing series" angle versus a straight up "mini-series" event. .....

I share this sentiment.

TCCBodhi
05-24-2013, 11:17 AM
If it is good, I'll take it however I can get it. I'm not sure that I ever read Haven, but doubt that Haven series is anything close to what the TV show is, but I enjoy the show anyway.

ChristineB
05-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Haven is very losely based on the book Colorado Kid. You never read it?

TCCBodhi
05-25-2013, 10:13 PM
No that is one of the few that I just haven't stumbled across at any time that I've been looking. Might have to get a Kindle version so it's just there ready to go. Just started on the 5 Games of Throne books so it will be a little while.

Randall Flagg
05-27-2013, 06:02 AM

Yeah, not too excited.
You nailed it!

Bev Vincent
05-30-2013, 03:32 PM
'Under the Dome': 10 Things to Know About CBS' Stephen King Adaptation http://j.mp/16tpNqu

Merlin1958
05-30-2013, 04:28 PM
'Under the Dome': 10 Things to Know About CBS' Stephen King Adaptation http://j.mp/16tpNqu

Sounds all well and good, but we shall see!!

Thanks for posting that, Bev.

Jimimck
05-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Still think this is going to be great fun to watch.

Merlin1958
05-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Still think this is going to be great fun to watch.

I agree. Just don't wanna jump in like I did with "Lost" and get F*cked!!!

Jimimck
05-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Come on, LOST was awesome. You're cool quote tells me you agree :wink:

Merlin1958
05-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Come on, LOST was awesome. You're cool quote tells me you agree :wink:

Agree to dis-agree?

CyberGhostface
05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
His comment comparing it to SVU (even if he was joking/exaggerating) concerns me. I really don't know how you can drag something like this out for multiple seasons. SVU isn't a serialized drama like this will presumably be and there's only so much you can do with such a limited premise.

Ricky
05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
I have it on good authority that episode 1 of the probable 3rd season will be entitled "Dinner Party." Plot summary courtesy of CBS:

"With the power out and tensions running high, Barbie attempts to alleviate the stress of the folks of Chester's Mill by hosting an intimate dinner party at home. Everything is going fine until Barbie's grandmother's antique silverware goes missing. They say they can all by trusted, but one among them is a thief. Meanwhile, Julia runs out of soap and recruits Scarecrow Joe to find some on the black market."

Shadow
05-31-2013, 09:56 AM
I just do not understand it as a series series. What happens if funding gets cut or actors quit or ratings drop? I could see the cell as a series. We (mates at the pub) were talking about this last night. We are cringing because we keep going back to the "excellent" job that was done with the Stand mini. I would rather see a series like these done on HBO, AMC, etc rather than network television. But i will watch it alllll until the bitter end. As i have been watching Haven on sifi.

Iwritecode
05-31-2013, 10:03 AM
This might work. The Walking Dead has gone behind the source material hasn't it? It seems to be doing pretty well.

CyberGhostface
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Well the Walking Dead doesn't have such a limited focus. It's about people living in a zombie-infested world, moving on to different places and meeting new people and the conflicts that arise. Not to mention that even if it was just a strict adaptation of the comic (which it isn't) there's still well over a hundred issues of storyline to follow.

Under the Dome, by its very definition, is about a single town trapped under a dome. There's only so much you can do with that. Do you stretch out the events of the book? Do you find a new villain besides Jim Rennie? Etc.

It's a pretty dense book but I don't see how you could get several seasons out of it.

Merlin1958
05-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Not to mention that there are limited supplies and the air, as it does in the book, will run out eventually.

Ari_Racing
05-31-2013, 03:42 PM
More promo posters:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945332_547888031916449_965428808_n.jpg

Ari_Racing
05-31-2013, 04:32 PM
And a new article:

http://collider.com/neal-baer-brian-k-vaughan-under-the-dome-interview/

divemaster
05-31-2013, 06:00 PM
I have it on good authority that episode 1 of the probable 3rd season will be entitled "Dinner Party." Plot summary courtesy of CBS:

"With the power out and tensions running high, Barbie attempts to alleviate the stress of the folks of Chester's Mill by hosting an intimate dinner party at home. Everything is going fine until Barbie's grandmother's antique silverware goes missing. They say they can all by trusted, but one among them is a thief. Meanwhile, Julia runs out of soap and recruits Scarecrow Joe to find some on the black market."

This is some sort of sick joke, right? Tell me it is.

Iwritecode
06-03-2013, 06:17 AM
Well the Walking Dead doesn't have such a limited focus. It's about people living in a zombie-infested world, moving on to different places and meeting new people and the conflicts that arise. Not to mention that even if it was just a strict adaptation of the comic (which it isn't) there's still well over a hundred issues of storyline to follow.

Under the Dome, by its very definition, is about a single town trapped under a dome. There's only so much you can do with that. Do you stretch out the events of the book? Do you find a new villain besides Jim Rennie? Etc.

It's a pretty dense book but I don't see how you could get several seasons out of it.

Not to mention that there are limited supplies and the air, as it does in the book, will run out eventually.

It sounds like they are just using the book as the basis for the start of the story. It's like they are saying "Here's a town with a bunch of different characters trapped under a huge dome. Let's see where we can go from there."

The events of the book took place over a week. I think they are going to go beyond that timeline in just the first season.