PDA

View Full Version : The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Room 217 Caretaker
10-29-2007, 02:10 AM
It has come to our attention that images hosted by ebay may be considered Copyrighted material. Generally speaking eBay and eBay members don't don't complain about positive publicity as is helps advertise their sales. Problems can arise when a member posts an image and questions the legitimacy of an item in a thread.
Going forward we ask that members don't post images from eBay without permission from either eBay, or the the person who is conducting the auction.
Please feel free to post links to any eBay auction, and render your own opinions about signatures etc.
Just to clarify, as stated in our site Terms Of Service:
"The opinions and views expressed in these forums are not necessarily those of thedarktower.org, Stephen King, or the publishers of said author. "

THREAD INTRODUCTION:

I'm a veteran collector since the early 80's. I hate seeing uneducated statements in Ebay auctions. In the past I've tried to help contact sellers through Ebay so they understand that the auction statements isn't true, or what a first edition is, etc. 99.99% of the responses back are, "mind your own business", "you don't know what your talking about", my favorite...."your jealous just because I have a first edition for sale"

PLEASE, if your a new collector, CHECK here first, or ask questions. I love helping others build King collections.

:pullhair: :arg: :onfire: :pullhair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Night-Shift-STEPHEN-KING-dust-jacket-only-no-book-1st_W0QQitemZ300166228077QQihZ020QQcategoryZ29223Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is nuts.

The Ebay BS meter just hit 10.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Storyslinger
10-29-2007, 04:56 AM
Wow, that is total bs

Rahfa
10-29-2007, 08:55 AM
What's wrong with that auction? It might be a first edition d/j and the auction's starting at $9.99...

I doubt it's a first edition, but if I had a book w/out a d/j, I might consider getting it...the price-clipped corner will keep its value down anyway.

I don't see the BS here...

Randall Flagg
10-29-2007, 09:57 AM
I think it's the implication in the auction that it is NOT a BC DJ. With the price clipped who knows-or will ever know? My feeling is with the price clipped one expects the least valauble option.

Patrick
10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
I think it's the implication in the auction that it is NOT a BC DJ. ...
I think it goes beyond "implication" when seller talks about the places where "Book Club Edition" should be printed but isn't. The seller may be trying to have an out by prefacing this auction with "We believe...", but everything else is clearly trying to get the uneducated buyer to think there is no doubt. That includes the "1st" in the auction title.

We believe this is a first edition jacket for the following reasons:

If it were a book club jacket, there would be a slug “Book Club Edition” on the BOTTOM of the front flap. There is none here.

Alternatively, the BOTTOM of the front flap could be clipped, eliminating the “Book Club Edition” slug. That is not the case here. As you can see in the pictures above, the TOP of the front flap is clipped, where the price would have been.

Brice
10-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I'd agree, Everything seems set up to deceive the potential buyer.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
OK, I know it seems I'm upset about some of the Ebay auctions that keep popping up. Hence the Ebay BS Meter comment (It's a joke I have with myself during Ebay searches) 10 being the highest on the meter.

If your wondering why I picked on the First Edition Night Shift jacket without the price attached, you can't call it a first edition jacket.

Am I wrong? Is there numbers on a jacket other than price showing first edition. Just because it's price clipped where the price would be (book club would be in lower corner) doesn't make it a possible first.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
10-29-2007, 03:27 PM
PLEASE, if you're a new collector, CHECK here first, or ask questions. I love helping others build King collections.
I would just like to highlight and echo this statement. One thing I love about this community of collectors is that everyone is always happy to help out and share their knowledge. God knows I've learned a hell of a lot from you all the past few years.

CRinVA
10-30-2007, 05:27 AM
OK, I know it seems I'm upset about some of the Ebay auctions that keep popping up. Hence the Ebay BS Meter comment(It's a joke I have with myself during Ebay searches) 10 being the highest on the meter.

I'm a veteran collector since the early 80's. I hate seeing uneducated statements in Ebay auctions. In the past I've tried to help contact sellers through Ebay so they understand that the auction statements isn't true, or what a first edition is, etc. 99.99% of the responses back are, "mind your own business", "you don't know what your talking about", my favorite...."your jealous just because I have a first edition for sale"

PLEASE, if your a new collector, CHECK here first, or ask questions. I love helping others build King collections.

If your wondering why I picked on the First Edition Night Shift jacket without the price attached, you can't call it a first edition jacket.

Am I wrong? Is there numbers on a jacket other than price showing first edition. Just because it's price clipped where the price would be (book club would be in lower corner) doesn't make it a possible first.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Ralph I quite agree - first thing I thought of when i saw teh price clipped pic was gee there was never a price there but they clipped it to make it seem as if there was a price there in order to try and validate the 1st Edition.

Buyer Beware! :-)

Rahfa
10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I see what people are saying, but in this case a price-clipped d/j drops the value so much, that it doesn't matter whether it's a first or not...there's no way to prove it is, and without actually seeing it, no way to prove it's not.

I said above I would consider getting it, and that isn't true...I would never buy a price-clipped d/j...I don't know why I said that...and basically, for just this reason.

Patrick
10-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Good points, Rahfa.

Hutch
10-30-2007, 02:04 PM
What's wrong with that auction? It might be a first edition d/j and the auction's starting at $9.99...

I doubt it's a first edition, but if I had a book w/out a d/j, I might consider getting it...the price-clipped corner will keep its value down anyway.

The BS is something no one has brought up yet. ... The isbn was a series of printed numbers at the bottom of the front flap. The first state DJ did not have a bar code on the rear cover. There is no chance it was ever a 1st DJ

Randall Flagg
10-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Correct of course. It was the first King hardback to have a UPC on the DJ.

Patrick
10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, Hutch!

Room 217 Caretaker
10-31-2007, 02:07 AM
Hutch,

I'll let you set the BS meter on this one (0 no BS to 10 full of it):

Is this a jacket DoubleDay pulled back and put a sticker on? or BS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-NIGHT-SHIFT-1978-early-print-w-8-95-dj_W0QQitemZ280168503818QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29223QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's time to play BS or NOT:

Hutch, come on down.

Hutch
10-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Hutch,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-NIGHT-SHIFT-1978-early-print-w-8-95-dj_W0QQitemZ280168503818QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29223QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hutch, come on down.

It certainly appears to be a Doubleday Book Club edition with the words "Book Club Edition" clipped of the lower front flap and an added price sticker affixed to the upper front flap.

History tells us that Doubleday had little faith that a collection of shorts would sell and printed a small first print run between 10,000 and 12,000 copies. When they found there weren't enough firsts to fill orders Doubleday pulled books from their own book club and modified the dust jacket for retail sale.

Realistiaclly it is nothing more than an early BCE.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Hutch,

Hutch, come on down.

It certainly appears to be a Doubleday Book Club edition with the words "Book Club Edition" clipped of the lower front flap and an added price sticker affixed to the upper front flap.

History tells us that Doubleday had little faith that a collection of shorts would sell and printed a small first print run between 10,000 and 12,000 copies. When they found there weren't enough firsts to fill orders Doubleday pulled books from their own book club and modified the dust jacket for retail sale.

Realistiaclly it is nothing more than an early BCE.

OK. Folks, you heard it right here on Let's Play Ebay BS. We set the BS meter at 7 :excited:

Stay tuned for more :clap: Let's Play Ebay BS.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

NeedfulKings
10-31-2007, 08:23 PM
That would make it a "First Edition" second state dust jacket book, right? I notice it's the black with red boards--indicitive of a first/early printing--not of an early BCE. Those were typically light tan boards.

In reality, I dont' know what he has!!! :p

Patrick
10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
... Let's Play Ebay BS. We set the BS meter at 7 :excited:

Stay tuned for more :clap: Let's Play Ebay BS.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

That ought to be the name of a thread. :lol:

Randall Flagg
10-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Done.
If Bullshit is too strong, I can edit to say BS.

Patrick
10-31-2007, 09:10 PM
I didn't double check the site Rules but I think it's too strong to be in a thread title. Check out my change and feel free to edit it again. :lol:

Randall Flagg
11-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Works well for me.

Hutch
11-01-2007, 06:14 AM
That would make it a "First Edition" second state dust jacket book, right? I notice it's the black with red boards--indicitive of a first/early printing--not of an early BCE. Those were typically light tan boards.

In reality, I dont' know what he has!!! :p

The earliest BCE of Night Shift were bound with red boards and quarter bound in red paper that gave a faux cloth appearance.

Rahfa
11-01-2007, 07:18 AM

The BS is something no one has brought up yet. ... The isbn was a series of printed numbers at the bottom of the front flap. The first state DJ did not have a bar code on the rear cover. There is no chance it was ever a 1st DJ

Ha...So that's the fact we were missing before. I looked at my first edition d/j but I didn't notice that when I thought they looked alike...mystery solved...BS it is...haha

Room 217 Caretaker
11-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Looks like we have our next contestant in "Let's Play Ebay BS"

Seller Legendsinink COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-CUJO-BOOK-PROOF-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ320177738518QQihZ011QQcategoryZ37 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OK DT Members. You set the BS meter. Is signature real or fake?:

Brice
11-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I'm no expert, but I say it's absolutely fake based on the sigs I have and have seen.

jhanic
11-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Fake.

John

CRinVA
11-02-2007, 04:58 AM
there is no way that it's the real deal - IMHO of course!

Storyslinger
11-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Fake

Asterisco
11-02-2007, 05:51 AM
This should break the BS meter. :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Horror-Author-Signed-Autographed-Baseball_W0QQitemZ270182024185QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2 7260QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Asterisco
11-02-2007, 05:52 AM
This one is reaching the top of the BS meter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Signed-Index-Card-b_W0QQitemZ260177840997QQihZ016QQcategoryZ32988QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Storyslinger
11-02-2007, 05:57 AM
BS to both

Patrick
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
The fake sig on the baseball looked more authentic than the fake sig in the Cujo book. No effort whatsoever was put into the fake index card.

I meant to sprinkle the word "alleged" before the word "fake" throughout this post, of course.

Brice
11-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, of course. Wouldn't want to besmirch the good name of the forgers (i mean sellers) now would we. :lol:

Room 217 Caretaker
11-03-2007, 04:24 AM

Seller Legendsinink COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-CUJO-BOOK-PROOF-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ320177738518QQihZ011QQcategoryZ37 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OK DT Members. You set the BS meter. Is signature real or fake?:

:excited: :clap: It's official. Legendsinink.....your Ebay BS meter has been set to 10.

Stay tuned for more action on :clap:"Let's Play Ebay BS" :excited:

Room 217 Caretaker
11-03-2007, 04:52 AM

:clap: Seller igotsigned COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-Stephen-King-index-card-bookplate-Full-COA_W0QQitemZ220167553331QQihZ012QQcategoryZ69535Q QcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Look real close to the S. :scared:

OK DT members...you set the BS meter.

e_taylor
11-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Anyone think it might have to keep a database of BS Ebay Seller IDs to help potential buyers out? Kind of like skfakes used to do before it flipped to a membership only site?

Randall Flagg
11-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Salem's Lot Illustrated (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Salems-Lot-Illustrated-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ280169420305QQihZ018QQcategoryZ292 23QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Not sure on the signature.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/83/salemslotebaysignedew2.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
11-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Salem's Lot Illustrated (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Salems-Lot-Illustrated-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ280169420305QQihZ018QQcategoryZ292 23QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

:thumbsup: The signature looks good.

If that's a fake signature :cry: it's a good one.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
11-03-2007, 03:48 PM
It is starting @ $49.00, and I have not seen (m)any of these signed for sale.
Could be a nice purchase for someone.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-03-2007, 04:05 PM
It is starting @ $49.00, and I have not seen (m)any of these signed for sale.
Could be a nice purchase for someone.

Correct....not many of these found signed. I'm watching it :evil:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
11-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I hate to do it, but I have to disagree...I don't think that is a good signature. The loop in the "S" is really big, and it doesn't look anything like the sigs in the "Best Short Stories" books, or any recent limited edition...I don't like the "G" either. His real signature has been sort of cramped lately, not so much like this one...

It could be real, don't get me wrong, but the areas where it looks okay are overshadowed - in my opinion - by the areas where I would have questions about it...

Room 217 Caretaker
11-03-2007, 04:47 PM
I hate to do it, but I have to disagree...I don't think that is a good signature. The loop in the "S" is really big, and it doesn't look anything like the sigs in the "Best Short Stories" books, or any recent limited edition...I don't like the "G" either. His real signature has been sort of cramped lately, not so much like this one...

It could be real, don't get me wrong, but the areas where it looks okay are overshadowed - in my opinion - by the areas where I would have questions about it...

Don't apologize. It's OK to disagree. Keep in mind this signature is from 2006. I think his signature changes from month to month and getting worse as he gets older. I actually hate the signatures in "Best Short Stories" even though I own a signed copy.

But this is a great conversation for newbie collectors on flat signed books. Buy from someone you trust, Hutch, Shibus, Stu @ Betts, etc.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Room 217 Caretaker
11-03-2007, 04:57 PM

We are talking about the same sig. right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Salems-Lot-Illustrated-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ280169420305QQihZ018QQcategoryZ292 23QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jhanic
11-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I posted an enquiry on the SKFakes BB. We'll see what some of their experts say.

SK Fakes (http://skfakes.proboards46.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Evaluation&thread=1194138261)

John

Fsmdr
11-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't like that sig either. It seemed very deliberate, neat and the loop too big. The kind of pen used is also one I've never seen on any King signatures. A fine point calligraphy pen?. Also, wouldn't he date it as 06' instead of 2006?.

Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong too. Would love to hear opinions from other members here.

Rahfa
11-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, we're talking about the same signature...

I think King's signature has been pretty consistent for the past couple years, actually...the one in "Best Short Stories" is pretty similiar to the "Buick 8" and "Dark Tower 5" signed books I got in Pleasantville...and it's similiar to the SOD limited ed. sign.

But it is NOT similar to the signature in this Salem's Lot edition...that's just my opinion though...

Room 217 Caretaker
11-04-2007, 03:29 AM

:clap: Seller igotsigned COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-Stephen-King-index-card-bookplate-Full-COA_W0QQitemZ220167553331QQihZ012QQcategoryZ69535Q QcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Look real close to the S. :scared:

OK DT members...you set the BS meter.

BS Meter set at 10.

:clap: Stay tuned for more "Let's Play Ebay BS"

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2007, 04:03 AM
OMG That is not even close. There are a dozen things wrong with that sig. BS at 10!

Room 217 Caretaker
11-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Yes, we're talking about the same signature...

I think King's signature has been pretty consistent for the past couple years, actually...the one in "Best Short Stories" is pretty similiar to the "Buick 8" and "Dark Tower 5" signed books I got in Pleasantville...and it's similiar to the SOD limited ed. sign.

But it is NOT similar to the signature in this Salem's Lot edition...that's just my opinion though...

Rahfa,

I see what you mean on the signatures. hehehe....I pulled out some of my S/L's, opened them up on the pool table, carefully looking at all the signatures. Of course my wife walks by with this look :excited: "Are you selling them", she says.

It's amazing the different sigs I have in signed limiteds. I even pulled out some of the older signed limiteds Firestarter, Cujo & Danse Macabre etc. to compare.

I have signatures ranging from cramped to neat. Of course we all know these are real because of the signed limited state.

My flat signed books (yes I know the signature is real, I was there :)

I only own a few. To answer one of the questions from an above message. Wouldn't he sign it with 06 instead of 2006? He's done both. My Fear Itself is signed with 1986. My Lisy is 07 instead of 2007.

My Gunslinger is 1984 instead of 84.

Again, like I said in an above message. If your buying a flat signed book. It pays to buy from someone you trust. Hutch is an awesome, honest seller. So is Stu @ Betts Books, Greg (Shibus), etc.

John, Thanks for posting the sig on SKfakes. It will be interesting to hear what Calla wolf has to say. I think it would be awesome to get the mega collectors together in a room and learn the trade secrets of "How to tell a real King signature from a fake". Pressure points, what makes it fake, etc.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Fsmdr
11-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Good to know....

Thanks, guys.

Rahfa
11-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I think it would be awesome to get the mega collectors together in a room and learn the trade secrets of "How to tell a real King signature from a fake". Pressure points, what makes it fake, etc.

I think you pretty much figured it out...Look at the s/l's and if it doesn't come very, very close to matching up with one of them, it's probably a fake...if a signature looks like a 1979 style signature in a copy of Buick 8, then it's a fake....If you even have a whisper of a doubt, it's probably a fake - or as good as one, since doubt is as bad as being certain.

His signature is very consistent within the era it was signed, so the s/l's are the best bet for comparison. As far as pressure points and things like that, you can only see that when you have the signature right up close, which means you probably bought it and it's too late to complain...

Matt
11-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Anyone think it might have to keep a database of BS Ebay Seller IDs to help potential buyers out? Kind of like skfakes used to do before it flipped to a membership only site?

I think we could.

Perhaps a list of any UserID from ebay known to have tried to pass a fake?

Randall Flagg
11-04-2007, 04:37 PM
I think SKfakes found that publicly listed people and auctions that were considered a fraud was more trouble than it was worth.
In addition, he had a panel of experts who gave their professional opinion on the sigs.
However, if the Directors of this site are willing to put up with the issues that arise, I am sure members would be willing to help point out frauds.

jhanic
11-04-2007, 07:15 PM
As for what the experts on skfakes say about the "signed" Salem's Lot Illustrated, both carlosdetweiller and hutch agree it's a fake.

John

Randall Flagg
11-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks John. I am no expert, but IMO it was questionable, and that's why it was in the Ebay BS thread.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-05-2007, 03:02 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280169420305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

The experts have called out renaissance_auctions to:

Let's Play Ebay BS Game.

:clap: renaissance-auctions come on down

the experts are thinking :orely: YES we have an answer.

The experts feel your trying to slip a buyer the :nana: so your Ebay BS meter is set to 10...-1 (for the neat calligraphy fake signature) BS meter 9.

Stay tuned for more "Let's Play Ebay BS Game"

Storyslinger
11-05-2007, 06:07 AM
I'd say real

Hutch
11-06-2007, 07:16 AM
it's a shame someone ruined a perfectly good book with this signature

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carrie-1st-Edition-HB-DJ-Signed-by-Stephen-King-1974_W0QQitemZ200170743877QQihZ010QQcategoryZ377QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Matt
11-06-2007, 07:18 AM
I think SKfakes found that publicly listed people and auctions that were considered a fraud was more trouble than it was worth.
In addition, he had a panel of experts who gave their professional opinion on the sigs.
However, if the Directors of this site are willing to put up with the issues that arise, I am sure members would be willing to help point out frauds.

Actually I was hoping you would deal with the issues. :lol:

But seriously, I believe it could cause a few problems so maybe we can get together sometime and discuss weather or not its a service this site could effectively provide.

Brice
11-06-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm FAR from being an expert, but I'd agree. That is just horrible.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Thank you Hutch:

We have a new contestant in Let's Play Ebay BS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carrie-1st-Edition-HB-DJ-Signed-by-Stephen-King-1974_W0QQitemZ200170743877QQihZ010QQcategoryZ377QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:clap: Seller tajandjamaica COME ON DOWN:

The seller DESTROYED an awesome book. One I'm looking for :scared:

The Ebay BS Meter on this one is beyond 10.

jhanic
11-06-2007, 09:02 AM
it's a shame someone ruined a perfectly good book with this signature

Agreed. I've never seen that "Compliments of Doubleday" indication either. Too bad about the signature.

John

Randall Flagg
11-06-2007, 09:09 AM
The "signed" Carrie may qualify for the Spinal Tap 11:

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9241/spinaltapedith5031xe1.jpg

"It's one louder." (http://members.aol.com/chiprowe/gotoeleven.wav)

Randall Flagg
11-06-2007, 09:15 AM

Actually I was hoping you would deal with the issues. :lol:

But seriously, I believe it could cause a few problems so maybe we can get together sometime and discuss weather or not its a service this site could effectively provide.

Actullay, for now I'm quite content with the "BS" meter. I don't think we need a comprehensive list of sellers or items.
We just call them as we see them.

Matt
11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
That sounds great to me.

CRinVA
11-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Gee why didn't the guy not try and get so greedy and just sell it as a First Ed Carrie - probably woudl have made off better!

Hutch
11-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Thank you Hutch:

We don't know if the current seller is the one that signed the book.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Thank you Hutch:

We don't know if the current seller is the one that signed the book.

VERY TRUE Hutch. Very true...

OK. The seller has placed a DESTROYED copy of an awesome book on Ebay.

:cry: still makes me sad.

Hutch
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Thank you Hutch:

We don't know if the current seller is the one that signed the book. Heck, there is a chance that it was signed by the author and that it's simply not a very good example of his signature.

Patrick
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
The poor seller is the victim in all this. I blame Steve for not signing the book in a manner in which we could all believe.

:P

Room 217 Caretaker
11-07-2007, 08:08 AM
OK....Check out this auction. This person is trying to fool people AGAIN. Look at the response to my question at the bottom of the Ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280170418212

Take it or leave it, they say........LEAVE IT.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

CRinVA
11-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Sig looks phony to me - and all you have to do is read between the linesof the sellers response. Yep I'd LEAVE IT to! :-)

Matt
11-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Yes, I love the comment.

You might as well say "technically, there is no way to tell so yes...its a fake" :lol:

Randall Flagg
11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I think it's interesting that some sellers try to obfuscate the issue by having a 2,000 word addendum to the auction description.

Hutch
11-07-2007, 12:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Tommyknockers-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280170796371QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Room 217 Caretaker
11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Tommyknockers-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280170796371QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:scared: :pullhair: :nope:

WTH :onfire:

Randall Flagg
11-07-2007, 01:30 PM

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/4821/spinaltapedith5031il5.jpg

NeedfulKings
11-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Oh, the "Knock Knock" is a nice added touch! I'm sold.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy's making money....no doubt about that.

Patrick
11-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow, it went for $204.50. Poor buyer. :( Hope I don't know him/her.

Storyslinger
11-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Poor bidder indeed

Rahfa
11-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Weird auction....only two people actually bidding...don't know what to make of it, really...

Hutch
11-08-2007, 12:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Stand-Doubleday-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280171415144QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This seller continues to list forgeries due I'm sure to the success they've had thus far. Where is SKfakes when you need it the most?

Patrick
11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Stand-Doubleday-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280171415144QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This seller continues to list forgeries due I'm sure to the success they've had thus far. Where is SKfakes when you need it the most?

Amazing. But not in a good way.

Pasiuk57
11-08-2007, 09:21 PM
It may not do much good for one person to report an item for forgery. However, it may do good if several folks complained about an item. A support representative from eBay said that they do track complaints not only by item number but by seller ID. Thus, if enough complaints were filed for a seller who is habitually listing forgeries are received, eBay may act.
Here are the steps you'll need to report forgery:

1) copy the item number or numbers

2) click " Help " at the upper right of the eBay page

3) click " Contact Us " on the left

4) click on " Start here " in the Online and Answers and Email section

5) select Listing Violations and click on Continue

6) For Step 1 select Counterfeits and copyright violations ; for Step 2 select Other potential infringement; for Step 3 select Unauthorized use of celebrity faces, names or signatures and click Continue

7) click Email Us

8) enter the item number(s) and click send
Just think what we can all do!!

jhanic
11-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Very good idea, Mike. I'll start doing that immediately!

John

e_taylor
11-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Not only is the signature fake, the listing is misleading, pointing out it is a (comparably) worthless BOMC, and later in the listing saying "However the simple fact that it is 1st edition Signed Stephen King work in excellent condition, makes it a very collectable item indeed"

Randall Flagg
11-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I wanted to have a stand alone thread devoted to posting listings where a signature, seller, and or simply the item itself is questionable/dubious.
I'd rather the "Quirky" thread be more of an amusement thread and this thread be devoted to bringing attention to items that really could mislead a buyer into wasting their money.
Of course we are only rendering "opinions" about items. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and should not be liable for libel, and or slander.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-09-2007, 08:52 AM
We are being graced with a defending champion. It's time for: "Let's Play Ebay BS"

:clap: Seller renaissance_auctions, you know the drill: COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Drawing-of-the-Three_W0QQitemZ280171821185QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2922 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:unsure: What's this you say renaissance_auctions? No picture this time? :doh: You want the audience to believe the signature is real?

Without seeing a picture.......YOUR BS METER IS A 10.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
11-09-2007, 08:56 AM
You are just so untrusting. :lol:

NeedfulKings
11-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I wanted to go back to this one:

Considering it's in the traditional blue ink, and has a date, would this be harder to forge??? I'm not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but are we 100% sure they are frauds? All of them???

I know Hutch (and skfakes) has looked at some of them already and trust them!

I still wouldn't buy a flatsigned unless I knew whom I was buying it from and they had first-hand knowledge of the signing.

This guy's got more of them coming too. I bet a lot of them wind up swimming the eBay market (from different sellers) for a long time.

Randall Flagg
11-09-2007, 09:44 AM

are we 100% sure they are frauds? All of them???

I know I'm not 100% sure. I however am far from an expert. Let's just say I am very leary.

NeedfulKings
11-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I wish I had the keen ability to determine the less-obvious fakes. I know I've seen some REAL obvious stinkers on eBay. I think one was even signed in crayon! :orely:

I like the idea of this thread and do feel leary of this particular seller as well. The novice buyer should benefit from the wealth of experience on this board.

Brice
11-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Personally I'm of the opinion that if even one of his books is a fake then I don't want anything from him. I wouldn't even buy a S/L from the guy.

Nerak
11-09-2007, 10:08 AM

Considering it's in the traditional blue ink, and has a date, would this be harder to forge??? I'm not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but are we 100% sure they are frauds? All of them???

I still wouldn't buy a flatsigned unless I knew whom I was buying it from and they had first-hand knowledge of the signing.

This guy's got more of them coming too. I bet a lot of them wind up swimming the eBay market (from different sellers) for a long time.

It just looks to "condensed" for King. I know he's not a sprawler, but it's all squunchy!!! :beat:

Daghain
11-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm happy this thread got started. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of good info in here. :D

Patrick
11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Yes, this thread is an idea whose time has come. We'll probably move some "Let's Play..." posts over from the other thread as well to get them all in one place (to some extent).

Randall Flagg
11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
If only I knew how to.:doh:

Patrick
11-09-2007, 11:11 AM
If only I knew how to.:doh:
No worries, it's done. :) This "new" thread is already on its 4th page.

Hutch
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM

It just looks to "condensed" for King. I know he's not a sprawler, but it's all squunchy!!! :beat:

the above reads wrong to me.... I do not trust them !

jhanic
11-09-2007, 07:04 PM
One of my "rules":

When in doubt, don't buy it!

John

NeedfulKings
11-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Hutch, when I said "trust them", I meant I trust "you" (you, skfakes, collectors here, etc), not the eBay seller. Sorry!!!

:beat:

Hutch
11-10-2007, 07:12 AM

Hutch, when I said "trust them", I meant I trust "you" (you, skfakes, collectors here, etc), not the eBay seller. Sorry!!!

:beat:

I knew what you meant when I originally read the post. I just wanted everyone to clearly understand that I do not endorse that seller's signed Stephen King items.

Patrick
11-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Oh! I read that wrong, and therefore couldn't believe what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying, Bill. :couple:

Darkthoughts
11-10-2007, 10:24 AM
This following Ebay saga doesn't concern forgeries, but it falls under the category of Ebay BS for me and I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this seller. The ebay name is Mountmedia - their business name is Redline Distribution.

I purchased a copy of the DT Concordance from them on the 26th September. I paid immediately and had also emailed prior to buying to inquire about UK postage and wasn't informed that the delivery would take any longer than the specified time of "upto 10 working days".

I received the book today! And I believe I only received it because I filed a complaint with paypal. I emailed the seller initially after 2 weeks and received no reply. I emailed again and was told the book was "on order" - I was a little pissed off with that as there was no indication at the time of sale that they didn't actually posess the book :angry: When it arrived today, from the postage it bizarrely looks as if its gone from Belgium to the US then on to me in the UK!?

Not to make this any more long winded, but when they replied to my next email I had two simultaineously - one said "Your book has been dispatched today" (this was on the 25th October) and the other said "Sorry, we will refund you". All in all a total shambles...and from an established seller too :rolleyes:

jhanic
11-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Was there any way to figure out when they actually posted the book? Often there is an indication (post stamp, etc.) on the package. I've had books from the UK sent to me, airmail, that took more than a month, while others came as quickly as four days. It all depends on the various post offices.

John

Randall Flagg
11-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Hand signed index card. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Hand-Signed-Index-Card_W0QQitemZ220170474374QQihZ012QQcategoryZ59QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
I am not an expert, but I certainly wouldn't want this signature.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8171/93f711iz7.jpg

King, Paul Newman (Hey Wiz see this?), William S. Cohen (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-PAUL-NEWMAN-WILLIAM-S-COHEN-SIGNED-LOT_W0QQitemZ280171211385QQihZ018QQcategoryZ32988Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Bad picture, worse King signature.

jhanic
11-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Nor would I. At least they offer a guarantee for 100% peace of mind via their own Certificate of Authenticity! :thumbsup: :P

John

NeedfulKings
11-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh! I read that wrong, and therefore couldn't believe what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying, Bill. :couple:

:) Thanks. I should go back and edit (clarify) my original post, but that would make the trailing messages confusing. Suffice to say that I 100% trust the people here. I always will. :thumbsup:

Darkthoughts, I've had one or two bad dealings where books were really late (or never sent). It sucks and it's great that we can warn people here.

RF, I'm with you. Those sigs are pretty bad!!! And the books have bids!!! :pullhair:

Darkthoughts
11-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Was there any way to figure out when they actually posted the book? Often there is an indication (post stamp, etc.) on the package. I've had books from the UK sent to me, airmail, that took more than a month, while others came as quickly as four days. It all depends on the various post offices.

John

Thanks John - I did check for a date stamp, but didn't see one. However, the seller was quite upfront (and unconcerned) about the fact that he hadn't actually dispatched my item until a month after I'd paid for it :pullhair:

jhanic
11-10-2007, 05:33 PM

John

Thanks John - I did check for a date stamp, but didn't see one. However, the seller was quite upfront (and unconcerned) about the fact that he hadn't actually dispatched my item until a month after I'd paid for it :pullhair:

That sucks!

John

Randall Flagg
11-10-2007, 07:38 PM
E-bay now allows you to rate several factors of the sale-anonymously, separate from a simple positive, neutral or negative feedback. One of those factors is speed of shipping from the seller. Even if you give a positive (why would you?), you can give the lowest rating for speed of shipping.

Patrick
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Lisa, thanks for the heads up on that seller. If they're selling stuff they don't actually have in their possession, they should make that clear upfront. September 26th to November 10th is way too long. If they had shipped it on a timely basis I'm sure they would have let you know and tried to help track the package. Waiting a month to ship is totally unacceptable.

Darkthoughts
11-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Thats almost word for word what I said to them. I shall leave negative feedback and also told them that I'd spread the word about my experience :P

I think some people are put off leaving negative feedback because they don't wish to receive it in a backlash - Ebay should do more to prevent this sort of thing, because I think so many crappy sellers are getting away with it for this reason.

Brice
11-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Yeah, ebay really needs to do more. It wouldn't even be difficult to make the feedback system more fair.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Thats almost word for word what I said to them. I shall leave negative feedback and also told them that I'd spread the word about my experience :P

I think some people are put off leaving negative feedback because they don't wish to receive it in a backlash - Ebay should do more to prevent this sort of thing, because I think so many crappy sellers are getting away with it for this reason.

The fear of negative feedback backlash is the truth. I'm not ashamed to say the following:

I'm guilty of leaving excellent feedback when I should have left negative. :ninja:

Face it....how hard do you look at auctions that have 97 or less rating? You leave a negative, I can guarantee you, even if you paid within five minutes of auction closing, you will get a negative in return. I would rather keep my rating high and never buy from the person again.

I've thought long and hard about a new way to be rated. Just can't think of anything.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
11-11-2007, 03:31 PM
If I'm the buyer, I usually don't leave feedback until it's been left for me...

As a seller, I leave it upon payment, and after that I don't really care what happens...

If you've paid for an item, and the seller doesn't leave feedback right away, what are they waiting for? I don't think you owe them feedback first.

Brice
11-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I've thought long and hard about a new way to be rated. Just can't think of anything.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

It's not very likely to ever happen, but couldn't ebay themselves easily solve the problem by

1. Making it so you couldn't see feedback at all until both parties had submitted feedback

and

2. Making no feedback after a certain amount of time automatically negative feedback

jhanic
11-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I personally don't leave negative feedback. I will not post feedback at all rather than leave negative. I also don't post feedback for the seller until he has left feedback for me. If they want feedback, they must leave it first. I point this out when I pay for the item. Normally the seller will leave feedback for me after I notify them that I have received the item and remind them that as soon as they post for me, I'll post for them. There are always a number of exceptions that never post for me. They don't get anything from me then.

John

Randall Flagg
11-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Strictly from a profit standpoint it doesn't behoove E-bay to change the feedback system, and as such, unless Google or some unknown gives them legimate competition I would be suprised if they changed much.
If you primarily or exclusively buy and have built a a little positive feedback, I say neg every time it's deserved.

Darkthoughts
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
And whadda ya know...I left neg feedback and the cheeky bastard did the same! :angry: Ah, well forewarned is forearmed! ;)

Randall Flagg
11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Make sure you reply to the neg feedback with the briefest yet still clear response that it was retaliation for your justified negative on them.

Darkthoughts
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Thank you, I did. I also replied to the comment they left for my original feedback on their own feedback page.

Matt
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
This kind of shit sucks, you don't get your item until late...leave some bad feedback and they screw you <_<

I like John's idea and I'm going to do it from here on, they leave it first or no one does.

Brice
11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
See, I understand the reasons behind it, but I don't want to do that. My feedback is perfect so far, but I won't let the fact that someone has a couple bad feedbacks on an otherwise good record bother me. I'll probably get burned for it eventually because some people are just assholes, but my plan is just to base any feedback good or bad on the merits of the transaction. If it goes well they get good feedback. If it goes bad they get bad feedback and if they choose to retaliate so be it.

sarajean
11-12-2007, 10:49 PM
King, Paul Newman (Hey Wiz see this?), William S. Cohen (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-PAUL-NEWMAN-WILLIAM-S-COHEN-SIGNED-LOT_W0QQitemZ280171211385QQihZ018QQcategoryZ32988Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
the picture has been taken down, but this still kills me:

SEE FAQ'S CONCERNING SHIPPING, ETC IN MY ME PAGE
in my me page?!

:lol:

Patrick
11-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Does that set off your grammar alarm, SJ? :lol:

By the way, the photo of the signatures is there, it is the second photo so you don't see it unless you look for it and click on it.

Hutch
11-13-2007, 11:43 AM
It may not do much good for one person to report an item for forgery. However, it may do good if several folks complained about an item. A support representative from eBay said that they do track complaints not only by item number but by seller ID. Thus, if enough complaints were filed for a seller who is habitually listing forgeries are received, eBay may act.

6) For Step 1 select Counterfeits and copyright violations ; for Step 2 select Other potential infringement; for Step 3 select Unauthorized use of celebrity faces, names or signatures and click Continue

7) click Email Us

Has anyone been reporting the following seller's Stephen King auctions per the above instructions posted by Mike?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Shining-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280173313575QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

&
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Dark-Tower-III-1st-1st-Signed-Edition_W0QQitemZ280173291564QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jhanic
11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I will soon. I don't know how much good it will do, though, given that those are one-day auctions. By the time eBay can do anything, the auction will be over. Hopefully, though, they'll ban renaissance_auctions.

John

Hutch
11-13-2007, 12:08 PM
I will soon. I don't know how much good it will do, though, given that those are one-day auctions. By the time eBay can do anything, the auction will be over. Hopefully, though, they'll ban renaissance_auctions.

John

the auction for The Shining is 7 days

wizardsrainbow
11-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Hand signed index card. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Hand-Signed-Index-Card_W0QQitemZ220170474374QQihZ012QQcategoryZ59QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
I am not an expert, but I certainly wouldn't want this signature.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8171/93f711iz7.jpg

Definitely not! If I want Paul Newmans sig, I can go to his house. He lives in the town (Westport CT) right next to mine.

jhanic
11-13-2007, 01:08 PM

John

the auction for The Shining is 7 days

Correction noted. Blame it on a "senior moment"!

John

sarajean
11-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Does that set off your grammar alarm, SJ? :lol:

you know me all too well, patrick. the "FAQ'S" bit bothers me as well. ;)

NeedfulKings
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM

John

I hope they can put a stop to him. My guess is that ebay will say that they're "not experts in signatures" and "buyer beware". They're making money off this doofus. :arg:

I guess one way is to buy a book and then leave him feedback stating that his SK sigs are fraud.

Dolan
11-14-2007, 11:54 AM
eBay needs a public 1-800 number. Can you imagine the staffing they would need?!

Hutch
11-14-2007, 01:34 PM

7) click Email Us

As for renaissance_auctions...I called an ebay rep. through a by invitation only service number and he confirmed the steps Mike outlines above as a valid method of action. I think more than just a few folks will have to file complaints.

Patrick
11-14-2007, 10:04 PM

7) click Email Us

Has anyone been reporting the following seller's Stephen King auctions per the above instructions posted by Mike?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Shining-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280173313575QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

&
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Dark-Tower-III-1st-1st-Signed-Edition_W0QQitemZ280173291564QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those links are not working. Were the auctions removed?

Brice
11-14-2007, 10:15 PM

7) click Email Us

&

Yes, both were removed although he now has the following signed (by him??????) books:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Thinner-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280173778409QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Bachman-Books-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280173835831QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Fsmdr
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Here is a few of this person's current auction in case anyone else wants to report them : 280173778409, 280173835831, 280173589505, 280173591302

You can go ahead and copy any of the above listing number.

Hutch
11-15-2007, 05:35 AM

7) click Email Us

&

Here's a link to their auctions for the past 30 days :
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&since=30&userid=renaissance_auctions&include=0&rows=200&sort=3&completed=1

One recent change is their Stephen King auctions are now private to hide the bidder ID.

As for the seller's 1st BCEs printed the same year as a true 1st...despite their claims, they are stateless It's not possible to distinguish between one printed five years ago and one printed fifteen years ago.

Randall Flagg
11-16-2007, 09:21 AM
SIGNED by KING-Oil painting (http://cgi.ebay.com/12x14-exclusive-oil-painting-signed-by-Stephen-King_W0QQitemZ270187587957QQihZ017QQcategoryZ20136 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Supposedly by contemporary French painter.
Signature is conveniently on the back and isn't shown. Seller is in Hungary.
So, who is willing to shell out >$900 for this?

Cutter
11-16-2007, 12:53 PM
As for the seller's 1st BCEs printed the same year as a true 1st...despite their claims, they are stateless It's not possible to distinguish between one printed five years ago and one printed fifteen years ago.

Jeeze those are horrible. I even looked at one of his Koontz signatures and it was horrible too. This guy is just ripping off everybody! :pullhair:

Hutch
11-16-2007, 01:30 PM

Jeeze those are horrible. I even looked at one of his Koontz signatures and it was horrible too. This guy is just ripping off everybody! :pullhair:

This seller has sold over $2200 worth of fake signed Stephen King books in the last 3 weeks as of this post..... I'm sure there is more to come.

Patrick
11-16-2007, 11:56 PM
SIGNED by KING-Oil painting (http://cgi.ebay.com/12x14-exclusive-oil-painting-signed-by-Stephen-King_W0QQitemZ270187587957QQihZ017QQcategoryZ20136 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Supposedly by contemporary French painter.
Signature is conveniently on the back and isn't shown. Seller is in Hungary.
So, who is willing to shell out >$900 for this?
You should buy it. Letti can go pick it up. :lol:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the artist scrawled SK's name on the back just to identify the subject and now someone is acting like it must have been written (signed) by SK himself.

Patrick
11-16-2007, 11:57 PM

This seller has sold over $2200 worth of fake signed Stephen King books in the last 3 weeks as of this post..... I'm sure there is more to come.
When you add it all up like that, it makes me kinda sick to my stomach.

Rahfa
11-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I really wonder...I honestly think what he's doing is listing auctions, shill bidding, to create a sense of people winning items and encourage bidders that way...one of the winners is gibson.sg, who def. knows better, and he doesn't have feedback, so it makes me wonder if it was a completed sale or what.

Legit signed items aren't selling, so why would fake items? Maybe I just want to believe he's not succeeding in the defrauding...but bottom line, I don't really believe it...

Matt
11-17-2007, 08:51 AM
I agree Rahfa--with my limited experience, that really sounds dubious at best.

Hutch
11-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I really wonder...I honestly think what he's doing is listing auctions, shill bidding, to create a sense of people winning items and encourage bidders that way...one of the winners is gibson.sg, who def. knows better, and he doesn't have feedback, so it makes me wonder if it was a completed sale or what.

Legit signed items aren't selling, so why would fake items? Maybe I just want to believe he's not succeeding in the defrauding...but bottom line, I don't really believe it...

gibson.sg has the item in hand. He paid for it. He was warned about it after he won and before paying. He bid in haste. Regardless he to honor his bid. He tried to get a refund not on the basis of the fake signature but rather the fact that it was BCE and not a first edition as described. I think he doesn't want to leave a negative feedback for fear of possible retaliation.

Matt
11-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Wow!

Well, there you go then. :lol:

That must be a really horrible position to be in. Dora was talking about trying to find something for Christmas for me and I told her to be careful. :unsure:

Actually, I told her to skip it for Christmas because I have to do those myself.

Its amazing what you learn, so glad this thread is here because its not just about King stuff on Ebay--I bet this happens with all kinds of other shit too.

Buyer beware! :ninja:

Darkthoughts
11-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Yes, it does and it sucks. To update my ebay hoohah and retaliation feedback; the seller asked if I wanted to mutally retract feedback, but I've decided not to. His negative should remain, my comments might warn other potential buyers.

Randall Flagg
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Stick to your guns. The only way for future buyers to be warned is with your negative feedback and comments.

Rahfa
11-17-2007, 01:17 PM

gibson.sg has the item in hand. He paid for it. He was warned about it after he won and before paying. He bid in haste. Regardless he to honor his bid. He tried to get a refund not on the basis of the fake signature but rather the fact that it was BCE and not a first edition as described. I think he doesn't want to leave a negative feedback for fear of possible retaliation.

Wow...that's surprising...I mean, I bought a fake too, once, but at least the seller put some effort in...these weren't even close to looking real.

Honestly, I might just bid on his items, not pay, and then just claim I sent him a check. Really, what's he going to do about it?

Rahfa
11-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Hmph...his auctions are buy-it-now, with immediate payment required...whatever, I know what I'm going to do.

Randall Flagg
11-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Hypothetically, if a person bought an item, paid via Paypal using a credit card and never received the item (the shipper would have to have a signature proof of delivery per Paypal guarantee policy), they could deny the charge, and provide negative feedback to a fraudulent seller.

Patrick
11-17-2007, 03:56 PM
I'll be interested to hear if Rahfa bids on anything.

Darkthoughts, good for you for sticking to your principles!

As far as why these items are selling, it seems to me (without actually double-checking) that people are much more willing to take a chance of buying fakes when the prices are under about a hundred bucks whereas truly legit SK items (S/Ls, etc.) are going to almost a different market (more educated collectors, more cautious buyers, etc.). Of course fakes still go for more at times, but it seems like a lot of them are in the lower price ranges.

Rahfa
11-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Hypothetically, if a person bought an item, paid via Paypal using a credit card and never received the item (the shipper would have to have a signature proof of delivery per Paypal guarantee policy), they could deny the charge, and provide negative feedback to a fraudulent seller.

True...but I would never do anything where anyone ever had any of my money, no matter the scheme...I'll come up with something, but he is clever to use a buy-it-now with an immediate payment required...he's obviously given it some thought.

The reality is - scumbag that he is - his entire listing basically warns people not to buy exactly what he's selling...the flipside is if people are stupid, they get what they deserve.

Hutch
11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I'll be interested to hear if Rahfa bids on anything.

Darkthoughts, good for you for sticking to your principles!

As far as why these items are selling, it seems to me (without actually double-checking) that people are much more willing to take a chance of buying fakes when the prices are under about a hundred bucks whereas truly legit SK items (S/Ls, etc.) are going to almost a different market (more educated collectors, more cautious buyers, etc.). Of course fakes still go for more at times, but it seems like a lot of them are in the lower price ranges.

another downside with the fakes is that even though they sell for less is, they drive the market down. Seller's will see the change and collector's will see a drop in the value of their legitimately signed copies. This is part of the reason for what some are calling a " down market ".

Rahfa
11-17-2007, 09:10 PM
another downside with the fakes is that even though they sell for less is, they drive the market down. Seller's will see the change and collector's will see a drop in the value of their legitimately signed copies. This is part of the reason for what some are calling a " down market ".

That's absolutely true...I think one of the big reasons for the 'crash' in the first place, was the glut of fakes...it's not just that they drive the market down, but a new collector buys a fake, at some point realizes it, and certainly doesn't want to buy any more, so it drives out any new potential collectors as well....I do not buy signed trades anymore, real or not. I just don't bother.

Patrick
11-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Good point, Hutch. I'm with Rahfa, I don't buy SK signed trades unless I know the seller.

Randall Flagg
11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
As of right now, both E-bay links for Live help, and the online e-mail are not even working.
What a piece of crap company.

I finally jumped through all the hoops to report this for the POS seller renaissance_auctions (http://myworld.ebay.com/renaissance_auctions/)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
Can others please help by reporting this?
Desperation Signed (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Desperation-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280175255279QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Funny note:
The seller actually received a negative when they bought a book they then claimed as a fraudulent autograph (and wanted a refund). What a hoot.

Hutch
11-19-2007, 06:56 AM
As of right now, both E-bay links for Live help, and the online e-mail are not even working.
What a piece of crap company.

I finally jumped through all the hoops to report this for the POS seller renaissance_auctions (http://myworld.ebay.com/renaissance_auctions/)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
Can others please help by reporting this?
Desperation Signed (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Desperation-Signed-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ280175255279QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Funny note:
The seller actually received a negative when they bought a book they then claimed as a fraudulent autograph (and wanted a refund). What a hoot.

There is a link to " Report this item " at the very bottom of the page for each listing ....you may want to give it a try.

Randall Flagg
11-19-2007, 07:28 AM
I got it to work, but E-bay sure doesn't want things to be easy.
Hopefully others will follow suit.

Ari_Racing
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Fake or real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Don-Robertson-IDEAL-GENUINE-MAN-Stephen-King-SGND_W0QQitemZ120183729472QQihZ002QQcategoryZ29223 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Randall Flagg
11-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure on King's sig, but that is a great book. If the sig is legit, the opening price is tempting.

Randall Flagg
11-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Thoughts on this signature?
The Tommyknockers (http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-TOMMYKNOCKERS-Stephen-King-Signed-1st-Edition-RARE_W0QQitemZ270188788091QQihZ017QQcategoryZ377QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3292/85098385o1oo9.jpg

jhanic
11-21-2007, 07:49 AM
It looks all wrong to me. But I'm no expert.

John

Storyslinger
11-21-2007, 07:55 AM
The "King" looks right, but the "Stephen" looks way off

Hutch
11-21-2007, 08:09 AM
an obvious fake from start to finish

Daghain
11-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I barely know anything, and it looks fake to me. :lol:

Matt
11-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Its the "King" part, its all wrong imo.

Just seems strange and I only know that from looking at the other sigs posted out here on stuff we know is real

Patrick
11-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I barely know anything, and it looks fake to me. :lol:
Its the "King" part, its all wrong imo.

Just seems strange and I only know that from looking at the other sigs posted out here on stuff we know is real
That's how it begins - you develop an basic, innate sense based simply on observing lots of real signatures. :)

The next step would be to really study sigs in relation to time periods. I'm glad we have members here who have done exactly that - I'm always impressed.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-22-2007, 05:18 AM

Seller :clap: bigjake1120 COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPH-PHOTO-W-COA_W0QQitemZ260184655162QQihZ016QQcategoryZ32988Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OK DT Members. You set the BS meter.

OH....HOLD THE PHONE......this auction comes with:

A CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY FROM " VINCE CUTLER RARITIES INC" . A REPUTABLE DEALER.

hahahahahhahhhahhahahhahhahahhahha

herbertwest
11-22-2007, 05:35 AM
just a maybe stupid question...
about the title of the subject : what does BS means ???

Randall Flagg
11-22-2007, 08:24 AM
what does BS means ???
Bullshit.
American slang for untrue.

oy-the-brave
11-22-2007, 08:25 AM

BS = bullshit :blush:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-22-2007, 08:53 AM

...... and in French: merde à la hausse

CRinVA
11-22-2007, 09:36 AM
This one is really really bad - you'd have to be the village idiot to accept this as real!!!!

herbertwest
11-22-2007, 03:09 PM
oki dook

e_taylor
11-24-2007, 07:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/1984-STEPHEN-KING-THE-TALISMAN-VOL-1-2-1-st-EDITION_W0QQitemZ170172646260QQihZ007QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know what to think of this one - I'm interested in picking it up, but I'd like to hear your guys' opinions to ease my mind!

Rahfa
11-24-2007, 08:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/1984-STEPHEN-KING-THE-TALISMAN-VOL-1-2-1-st-EDITION_W0QQitemZ170172646260QQihZ007QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know what to think of this one - I'm interested in picking it up, but I'd like to hear your guys' opinions to ease my mind!

Looks good to me....

Hutch
11-24-2007, 08:35 AM

it's good... and even better is that it's style places this King signature fairly close to the year of publication.

Randall Flagg
11-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Stephen King book sticker (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Book-Sticker-Autograph_W0QQitemZ300175453815QQihZ020QQcategoryZ 58QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Opinions?

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2524/c90d1ev8.jpg

Daghain
11-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Not that I know much, but the sig looks decent. I'm just wondering why he'd sign a sticker.

Patrick
11-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Not that I know much, but the sig looks decent. I'm just wondering why he'd sign a sticker.
Exactly what I was wondering. The inscription and sig look ok to my untrained eye though.

tippy4
11-25-2007, 09:45 PM
I think the signature is good.

I emailed the seller. This is what he said.

I'll miss this autograph ): Wish I still had the envelope where he did actually send this to me. His handwriting was on the envelope too. I sent him $1.00 and asked if he could send me a autographed index card where I could tape it to the book Misery. He sent the dollar back and this sticker. He's a cool guy.

Rahfa
11-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Yeah, the sig is good.

Actually, I'm surprised there aren't more stickers, notecards, etc. floating around...plenty of people would see him but not have a book right at hand to have signed...or, in this case, the seller didn't want to go to the trouble of sending an actual book.

I bought a couple signed index cards years ago with the thought of mounting them somehow, but never bothered.

herbertwest
11-26-2007, 10:50 AM

...... and in French: merde à la hausse

just saw this answer...
"merde a la hausse" hmmm.. doesnt make any sense lol

NeedfulKings
11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Revised Gunslinger

Good or bad????

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-STEPHEN-KING-The-Gunslinger-Dark-Tower_W0QQitemZ150188325957QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2922 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tippy4
11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Fake

My god there are a lot of fakers out there recently.

Thieves is what they are.

Randall Flagg
11-28-2007, 06:40 AM
One of the worst "g's" ever.

NeedfulKings
11-28-2007, 06:58 AM

That's the first thing (and the "S") that jumped out at me. Ironically, I was also looking at this listing a few minutes earlier:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330192824682&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

And was noticing the ugly "G" he put on the DotT. And it looks like the pen was running out of ink too! :cyclops: I guess that happens! ;)

Anyway, I was wondering if the person who forged the Viking Gunslinger was looking at a sig that was 20 years old.

So, does anyone have $19,000 I can borrow???? :lol:

Randall Flagg
11-28-2007, 07:37 AM
I'll loan you 15K. You can find the set for that now.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-28-2007, 09:29 AM

All my DT S/Ltds have crap signatures. The 'experts' would probably say they were fake if they saw the signatures outwith the S/Ltds.

Randall Flagg
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm no expert, but that is a crappy G.

NeedfulKings
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
RF, I'll pass on the loan until I pay off the car. :P :D

herbertwest
11-28-2007, 10:48 AM
hmm... Before, I never noticed that the US Dark Tower 5 & 7 were in two parts...

jhanic
11-28-2007, 11:28 AM
The signed limited edition of DT 4, Wizard and Glass, is also two volumes.

John

Asterisco
11-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Here in Argentina the regular editions of DT5 and DT7 are splitted in two volumes...awful editions...

Patrick
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
So, Bill, you were comparing these signatures, yes?

Revised Gunslinger listing:
http://www.riverbybooks.com/ebayimages/PB260058.JPG

DoTT S/L listing:
http://www446.pair.com/cropdwd/dtcompleteset2352.jpg

Spencer
11-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Good point, Hutch. I'm with Rahfa, I don't buy SK signed trades unless I know the seller.

The only one I ever considered buying, (and did buy), was a Grant one I knew for sure was legit.

Patrick
11-28-2007, 05:45 PM

The only one I ever considered buying, (and did buy), was a Grant one I knew for sure was legit.

Well, show us a picture, man!

Spencer
11-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Well, show us a picture, man!

:lol: right on. Gimme a minute. :D

Patrick
11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Just don't post it in here unless you want people to opine on its validity. :lol:

NeedfulKings
11-28-2007, 07:17 PM
I think those are the two I was thinking of, Patrick. I'm still along the lines that I won't spend my money on something unknown. If it's an S/L, that's good. Or if I buy from a collector here who witnessed the sig, that's good too.

It's SUCH an amazing counterfeit market!!!

Hutch
11-28-2007, 10:28 PM
So, Bill, you were comparing these signatures, yes?

Revised Gunslinger listing:
http://www.riverbybooks.com/ebayimages/PB260058.JPG

DoTT S/L listing:
http://www446.pair.com/cropdwd/dtcompleteset2352.jpg

The one thing missing in your point with the images is that the Viking Gunslinger was printed in 2003 and it is not possible for it to have a signature in it that resembles King's signature from 1987. His signature from circa 2003 differs significantly.

NeedfulKings
11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes. That's what I thought--someone copied an older signature. I actually took a handwriting analysis class many years ago. Unfortunately, it only taught me how to tell if someone was a socio-psychopath or not!!! :lol:

SK is NOT, by the way!!! ;)

Spencer
11-29-2007, 04:16 AM
Ok, this was more than a minute. :lol:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5384/00003146gk.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5937/00002806ss.jpg

CRinVA
11-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Looking for opinions on whether the signature in this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300174931523&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020)is legit????

NeedfulKings
11-29-2007, 08:46 AM
NICE BOOK, Spencer!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I want one!!!! :P

CR, I compared it to my Lisey's story and the "t" leans the opposite direction, the "S" is closed more, and the "K" looks a bit off.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/books026.jpg

That's about all I can go on.

Edit: Looks like the auction has ended. :)

Cutter
11-29-2007, 09:02 AM
I think we also came to the conclusion King that underlined his signature for the Best American Short Stories. At least those were there received copies that way.

Patrick
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok, this was more than a minute. :lol:
<<photos upthread>>

:lol: Thanks, Spencer!

Rahfa
11-30-2007, 07:45 AM
I think we also came to the conclusion King that underlined his signature for the Best American Short Stories. At least those were there received copies that way.

Yes, he underlined some, but I'm sure not all...the signature was good, basically identical to the two I have (minus the underline), one of which I watched him sign, and the other was a presigned handout...the problem is the Lisey's signature doesn't look good to me...Now, I know it is, that's not the point...but that's the problem with signed trades...it sucks! It's so hard to have any faith in any of them! Haha...

NeedfulKings
11-30-2007, 09:43 AM
That's good info to know about the Best American Short Stories sigs!

Yes, assuming the presigned Lisey's they sold at the Portland event were real, my sig is!!! :D

It does suck that his sig is forged a lot. But, it's fun comparing. :)

Rahfa
11-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Actually, that pre-signed Lisey looks relatively similar to my pre-signed DT V from a couple years back...I def. knew it was real, make no mistake!

Rahfa
11-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Alright...so even though this auction is especially lame, you've got to give him credit for doing all he can do to encourage people not to bid, and yet people are actually still bidding...there is a point where it's the bidder's fault, not the sellers, scumbags though they are...

The good news is this makes me think he had complaints/chargebacks through Paypal for other auctions, so maybe this is the only way he can win that type of dispute? Hopefully, anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-4-Signed-books_W0QQitemZ370000523868QQihZ024QQcategoryZ2922 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Randall Flagg
11-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Sorry, but the morons bidding on this deserve to receive junk.
It does appear that enough complaints forced the seller to revise their descriptions.
Bully for us!

tippy4
11-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, I dont know that they deserve it, but at the same time, I am not going to go out of my way to warn them.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Patrick
11-30-2007, 11:08 PM
So all the books came from an estate sale and even the lawyers could not find a living relative of the deceased, therefore no one knows the story behind the books? Wow.

Good for the seller for at least changing up their listings and not being so blatant. E Pluribus Unum! (Let the Buyer Beware!)

Randall Flagg
12-01-2007, 07:39 AM
E Pluribus Unum! (Let the Buyer Beware!)

Me thinks you mean Caveat Emptor.
E. Pluribus Unum means "one out of many,".:cool:

Rahfa
12-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Well, I dont know that they deserve it, but at the same time, I am not going to go out of my way to warn them.

In this case, with those signatures and that auction description, I say the bidders actually DO deserve it...haha...

Daghain
12-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Anybody watching this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200177977384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010) auction? Interesting that we see no pics of Whelan's signature. :D

jhanic
12-01-2007, 09:14 AM
I'd be VERY cautious about bidding on that. The seller has a total of eight feedbacks from seven individuals, one is a negative, and nothing dating after 2004.

John

Brice
12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
But...don't you just trust them???

jhanic
12-01-2007, 09:36 AM
No.

John

Randall Flagg
12-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Gets a neg for not sending someting, then claims auction ended with no bids. I don't think you can provide feedback without having won the auction.
Risky for a book that has a reserve >$283.

Daghain
12-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I know. I have no intention of bidding on that, but I found it hysterically funny, for all the reasons stated above. :D

Randall Flagg
12-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Insomnia Signed (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Insomnia-Signed_W0QQitemZ310001704515QQihZ021QQcategoryZ377 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Sure looks poor to me.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/5935/3f271wc9.jpg

NeedfulKings
12-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Me too.

Daghain
12-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Geez, I could do that. :lol:

Randall Flagg
12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
This seller sure tells a compelling story, and does have a photo that appears to show SK signing a copy of the Scribner hardback of The Green Mile.
Opinions?
E-Bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-HANKS-SIGNED-1st-ED-GREEN-MILE-W-PROOF_W0QQitemZ180187802529QQihZ008QQcategoryZ58QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6789/greenmilesigyg8.jpg

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9074/greenmiletorontotf2.jpg

Randall Flagg
12-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Is it just me, or is this seller, with Zero feedback a little screwed up to start this auction at 3.5K?
First Editions (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-1st-Edition-Hardcover-Book-Collection_W0QQitemZ140184582822QQihZ004QQcategory Z29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Rahfa
12-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Is it just me, or is this seller, with Zero feedback a little screwed up to start this auction at 3.5K?
First Editions (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-1st-Edition-Hardcover-Book-Collection_W0QQitemZ140184582822QQihZ004QQcategory Z29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

The feedback is irrelevant...everybody's got to start somewhere...but, he's starting the bidding at a bit optimistic of a price...First time sellers simply don't really know where to start things at...

But, it seems to be an honest listing anyway...

Calla_Wolf
12-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Insomnia Signed (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Insomnia-Signed_W0QQitemZ310001704515QQihZ021QQcategoryZ377 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Sure looks poor to me.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/5935/3f271wc9.jpg

Yeah, it's crap

Daghain
12-02-2007, 08:04 PM

I'd be more inclined to believe him if I could see pics of the signatures.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-03-2007, 03:07 AM

Seller :clap: gcoa COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Night-Shift-Stephen-King-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ320191147308QQihZ011QQcategoryZ37 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

newbie collectors take note:

:nope: gcoa you have been accused of stating First Edition on several of your auctions. :cry: shame on you.

Your meter is set at 10.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-03-2007, 03:19 AM

Seller :clap: gcoa COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Night-Shift-Stephen-King-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ320191147308QQihZ011QQcategoryZ37 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

newbie collectors take note:

:nope: gcoa you have been accused of stating First Edition on several of your auctions. :cry: shame on you.

Your meter is set at 10.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

I think the same seller's "sealed" The Shining beats Night Shift
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Shining-Stephen-King-SEALED-1st-Edition_W0QQitemZ320191146939QQihZ011QQcategoryZ37 7QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

herbertwest
12-03-2007, 04:52 AM
Why does look wrong?

jhanic
12-03-2007, 05:10 AM
1. The Night Shift volume does not have the words "First Edition" on the copyright page, and no picture of the front flap to show the price. It's probably a book club edition.

2. The Shining volume says it's in the original shrinkwrap, but as far as I know, that book was never issued in shrinkwrap. See above also.

The seller is one of those places that takes items on consignment so they can, perhaps correctly, state that they only are repeating what they were told. Or not. Who knows?

John

Fsmdr
12-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Not to mention the green spine and back cover makes it most likely a BOMC edition on The Shining.

NeedfulKings
12-03-2007, 08:22 AM
LMAO at the sealed book!!! Those are awesomely bad. I agree---they're both BOMC books, I bet.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-03-2007, 08:53 AM
LMAO at the sealed book!!! Those are awesomely bad. I agree---they're both BOMC books, I bet.

I've got a shrink wrap machine at my work if anyone wants their books sealed :excited:

NeedfulKings
12-03-2007, 09:48 AM
:D I Was just drooling over the handi-wrap in the kitchen!!!

I wonder if Doubleday ever used aluminum foil? Or those big gallon-size ziplock bags? I've got those too!!! :P

Randall Flagg
12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
This seller sure tells a compelling story, and does have a photo that appears to show SK signing a copy of the Scribner hardback of The Green Mile.
Opinions?
E-Bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-HANKS-SIGNED-1st-ED-GREEN-MILE-W-PROOF_W0QQitemZ180187802529QQihZ008QQcategoryZ58QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Bump.
opinions on the signature?

Brice
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
The King signature I'll leave for the experts. I did go checking out sites where they sell autographs and only found one somewhat similar to that Tom Hanks sig(and there are still differences). That doesn't mean it's not real... I'm just saying what I found.

Randall Flagg
12-03-2007, 10:11 AM
More BS from renaissance_auctions: (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-THE-GUNSLINGER-Signed-1st-3-DAY-AUCTION_W0QQitemZ370002052829QQihZ024QQcategoryZ29 223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
I don't recall ever seeing a King signature with a double hash on the underline.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3889/doublehashvj5.jpg

Brice
12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Nor do I recall ever seeing that.

It is getting to the point where all I need to do is see his name to know they are FAKE! :thumbsup:

NeedfulKings
12-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Opinions?

Bump.
opinions on the signature?

I can't see anything obviously wrong with the SK sig. I have no idea on the TH one. This sure would be a one-of-a-kind.

midnightrambler34
12-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Thats pretty bad.:scared:

Spencer
12-07-2007, 06:40 AM
I agree that the King sig seems to be good. I have no clue what a Hanks sig is supposed to look like. :lol:

NeedfulKings
12-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I did a "google Image" search and there's MANY incarnations of Tom Hank's sig. I did see some that were along the lines of the one above. Some were a lot more proper and legible. I'd say it's a good chance that it's authentic.