PDA

View Full Version : The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Randall Flagg
11-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Clearly misleading.

Sam
11-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I've sent the lister a question about if it's the S/L or just a signed book. If they say it's the S/L, I'm reporting it as a fraud.

Patrick
11-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Anyone who knows anything about S/L's would know that you don't stand in line at a signing for them, however the statement about the 1500 limitation could easily confuse a budding collector.

Heck, maybe even the seller is honestly mistaken between Collector's Sets and "official' Signed Collector's Sets (the S/L's), but in any case I hope they amend their listing.

jhanic
11-27-2009, 04:54 AM
The seller re-listed the item.

John

Sam
11-27-2009, 07:36 AM
And never responded to my question, though he answered it by relisting the book correctly. I find it interesting that it is currently higher than the S/L sold for.

I can't help but wonder how that affects the street price of the S/L. (I hate calling it a S/L since there was no limitation page. Damn cheapass S&S.)

Calla_Wolf
11-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Another misleading one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1ST-ED-LISEYS-STORY-SIGNED-BY-STEPHEN-KING-PHOTOS_W0QQitemZ250537916326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Books_Fiction_GL?hash=item3a553937a6)

All the copies signed at Battersea were 2nd printings, not 1sts

jhanic
11-27-2009, 12:13 PM
I thought they were third printings. That's what I got.

John

Cloysterpete
11-27-2009, 12:34 PM
The ones sold at Battersea were latter printings, but how do you know whether that is one of those?, could just as easily be a true first that the seller brought into the venue to have signed.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Another misleading one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1ST-ED-LISEYS-STORY-SIGNED-BY-STEPHEN-KING-PHOTOS_W0QQitemZ250537916326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Books_Fiction_GL?hash=item3a553937a6)

All the copies signed at Battersea were 2nd printings, not 1sts

The ones sold at Battersea were latter printings, but how do you know whether that is one of those?, could just as easily be a true first that the seller brought into the venue to have signed.

Cloysterpete is correct. My signed copy from that event is a true UK 1st. A friend of mine went and took his wife (I got the wife's copy with ticket/card showing the seat) but he had a hunch they wouldn't be 1st so he took two 1st with him for the signing.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

ChristineB
11-27-2009, 02:17 PM
And never responded to my question, though he answered it by relisting the book correctly. I find it interesting that it is currently higher than the S/L sold for.

I can't help but wonder how that affects the street price of the S/L. (I hate calling it a S/L since there was no limitation page. Damn cheapass S&S.)

He did send me a question about the differences in the books Sam.

He just didn't know, said the people at the store told him it was the limited edition. Honest mistake on his part from the questions he sent back to me.

Sam
11-27-2009, 02:31 PM
From a technical point of view, the Collector's Edition is a limited edition since the print run was only 25,000. Technically speaking that is. The reality is much different as we all know.

Rahfa
11-27-2009, 03:21 PM
From a technical point of view, the Collector's Edition is a limited edition since the print run was only 25,000. Technically speaking that is. The reality is much different as we all know.

If he had not put in that it was one of the 1,500 copies, the original listing would have been 100 percent fine.

As it is, he just didn't know - and as has been pointed out, it's basically more limited than the true s/l, and basically the same thing.

I'm getting a signed copy at the event this Tuesday and I'll probably sell it...I think I'll call it "special limited author event edition! Limited to approx 2000 copies signed at a variety of exclusive events!" Haha...

Sam
11-27-2009, 04:10 PM
If you get a signed Collector's Edition, they are even more rare (I would think) than the rest of the signed UTD books, including the S/L.

Rahfa
11-27-2009, 05:21 PM
In fact, because the signature would be on the page with the title, a signed collector's edition will even look a little neater as well...

Having the signature on a blank page, like in the s/l, looks lame, frankly (that is how they did it, right?)

I guess I'll hope they give out the grey lettering at the Music Hall event...then we can start discussing how rare/not rare THAT signed edition is! Haha...

Room 217 Caretaker
11-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Have we had discussion about this seller yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-GREEN-MILE-STEPHEN-KING-W-SLIPCASE-1ST-1ST_W0QQitemZ170411605391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fic tion_Books?hash=item27ad52bd8f

Plenty of very VERY VERY questionable signatures (or is just me after a few drinks tonight :wtf:)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jhanic
11-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I think it's a fake. (Not to mention that the book itself is a BOMC edition--that's the only one that came in a slipcase).

John

Sam
11-27-2009, 06:15 PM
In fact Ralph, we HAVE talked about this jackass before. I remember because he lives about 40 miles from me. It looks like he's getting better at the fakes. I can't tell about one or two of these sigs.

*edit* I'm reporting them all because the sigs look the same.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I questioned the signatures in all his auctions. Here is his response:

Dear mulleins,

We made the statement that the signature is not typical, but it is signed in a tight space. The Stephen Kings all came from one major King collector. We are auctioning off the last of his books. We think it authentic because we dont take chances, and the provenance is very good. But we made the comment because it does look different. I think we will sell this one without mention or photo and it will be a plus for the collector who wins it.

- j_j_books

So there you go. "The signatures are real because they don't take chances" :rofl::rofl::rolleyes: ( I can't stop laughing) :doh:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
11-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I think it's a fake. (Not to mention that the book itself is a BOMC edition--that's the only one that came in a slipcase).

John

Not sure about that...I bought my copies at the bookstore and they came in the slipcase...

Yeah, I doublechecked....and they are 20th printings, but not BOMC...

Oops...my bad...I didn't realize it was the single volume edition that the listing was referring to...forget everything I just said...haha...

Josieweirdo
11-28-2009, 03:18 AM
So the signatures are real, because they don't take chances and clearly they or their source cannot be wrong...? I agree, that's pretty bad reasoning, but also slightly amusing and the story backs up that they're most likely all fakes. I vote we keep that quote around if we ever need anymore examples of what kind of auctions to avoid. 'It's just legitimate because I say so!' :P

Brice
11-28-2009, 04:45 AM

John

Not sure about that...I bought my copies at the bookstore and they came in the slipcase...

Yeah, I doublechecked....and they are 20th printings, but not BOMC...

Oops...my bad...I didn't realize it was the single volume edition that the listing was referring to...forget everything I just said...haha...

Waldenbooks here had the single volume slipcased edition. I saw them in a couple other bookstores too.

jhanic
11-28-2009, 05:09 AM
Check for a price on the book itself. As usual, the BOMC editions DON'T have a price on the back cover. That seems to be the only real difference, plus the addition of the slipcase.

John

Brice
11-28-2009, 05:16 AM
I'll check. I know it has the slipcase. Wouldn't it be unusual for a bookstore to have had a BOMC edition though?

jhanic
11-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Yes. I don't know how or why they would get one for sale. I have both (I got my BOMC copy from a used book store, not the BOMC), but the BOMC is still advertising the one with the slipcase.

John

<edit> I stand corrected--the BOMC no longer has that edition for sale. I just checked.

John

ChristineB
11-28-2009, 07:12 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-GREEN-MILE-STEPHEN-KING-W-SLIPCASE-1ST-1ST_W0QQitemZ170411605391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fic tion_Books?hash=item27ad52bd8f

Plenty of very VERY VERY questionable signatures (or is just me after a few drinks tonight :wtf:)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

What amazes me is the fact he has decided the BCE (which looks like all he has) are not BCE. :pullhair:

Edit: I sent him a message to let him know the Carrie signed he has (of which the sig looks fake but that is a different matter) is a BCE -he states in the auction it isn't because it isn't the right size (from the SK.com site, which is in reference to the original DD BCE's that were smaller then the original books) and doesn't state the BC edition, but had no price and that means it must be a special review copy- and he tells me he has to ask the people at SK.com about this.

My god lets bother Marsha with questions that have obvious answers you really already know but don't want to have to change your listings for all your King items because you want people to think they are worth more then they really are. *breath* Sorry bit of a soapbox there. *steps down*

Calla_Wolf
11-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Hmmmm - good point

Sam
11-28-2009, 12:55 PM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

What amazes me is the fact he has decided the BCE (which looks like all he has) are not BCE. :pullhair:

Edit: I sent him a message to let him know the Carrie signed he has (of which the sig looks fake but that is a different matter) is a BCE -he states in the auction it isn't because it isn't the right size (from the SK.com site, which is in reference to the original DD BCE's that were smaller then the original books) and doesn't state the BC edition, but had no price and that means it must be a special review copy- and he tells me he has to ask the people at SK.com about this.

My god lets bother Marsha with questions that have obvious answers you really already know but don't want to have to change your listings for all your King items because you want people to think they are worth more then they really are. *breath* Sorry bit of a soapbox there. *steps down*

I reported all of his auctions with signed books, as well as the BCE ones for being fraudulent/ having forged signatures. This seller has sold forged King books in the past and continues to fraudlently list his items. I see no reason to believe the items he has up right now are any different.

Patrick
11-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I know you guys like challenges... Out of curiosity, what do you think of this signed baseball?

Signed baseball auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-MLB-BASEBALL-UNDER-THE-DOME-PSA-COA_W0QQitemZ160377534529QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item25573ef841)

jhanic
11-28-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't like it. I'd need more information as to just when King signed it, etc. (And then I probably STILL wouldn't like it!)

John

Sam
11-28-2009, 08:52 PM
I just sent a question asking if they had any provenance beyond the COA regarding the signature. We'll see what their response, if any, is.

tippy4
11-28-2009, 10:19 PM
I am not going to even look at the auction and still tell you I do not like it.

1. Why would King sign a baseball? I suppose he may have, but it seems odd to me.

2. As a baseball is round amnd bumpy, I think it would be easier to forge the signature and blame any irregularitites on the non-smooth surface.

3. Any seller that offers a COA automatically sets off my fake-dar.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I am no expert on SK sigs, but it looks pretty ligit. If its a fake, the faker did his homework.

That said, I wouldnt pay 500 dollars for a signed ball, even if I watched him sign it himself.

Patrick
11-29-2009, 12:37 AM

1. Why would King sign a baseball? I suppose he may have, but it seems odd to me.

2. As a baseball is round amnd bumpy, I think it would be easier to forge the signature and blame any irregularitites on the non-smooth surface.

But, Rick, that's why I prefaced my post with it being a challenge. C'mon, take a look at the ball!

Sam
11-29-2009, 06:58 AM
I got an actual reply from the seller. Here it is:

I could write a letter documenting it's authenticity, detailing when and where it was signed if you would like. He signed it for me at Fenway Park earlier this year in Boston. As I'm sure you know, he is a very tough autograph, so this is a nice unique item signed by King. As you can see, it is also authenticated by PSA/DNA the leader in certifying authentic autographs.

:wtf:
"I could write a letter documenting it's authenticity". Hell, I could write a letter authenticating my Liberty Bell replica that's signed by Benjamin Franklin, but that don't mean he signed the damn thing.

EXPLORER
11-29-2009, 07:15 AM

reply 1.
KING DOES SIGN BAESBALLS, I have seen him do it at spring traing games in Ft. Myers and I imagine he does at Fenway.. The guy who cuts my lawn has a wife who is a King fan and in lieu of some cuts I gave his wife a signed copy of Duma Key... (2nd printing). However his big request is that I get him a signed baseball if I ever have the opportunity. To each his own...
reply 2. The sig does not look bad to me however as mentioned how neat or consistant can any sig on a baseball be.
reply 3. COA.....s leave me with bogus feelings... I assure you! When do you ever see anything in print that is not the truth?

ChristineB
11-29-2009, 08:30 AM
That sig acutally looks alot like the one in my UTD he signed in Atlanta, especially the last name. It is very smooth for a baseball sig too, I would think it would be very difficult to forge a sig on a baseball and get the flurish over the first name that smooth. But, I am no expert. *shrug*

tippy4
11-29-2009, 08:36 AM

But, Rick, that's why I prefaced my post with it being a challenge. C'mon, take a look at the ball!

OK OK....

I just looked at it, and the signature actually looks good to me.

That being said, I still would not buy it because...

1. $499.99.....seriously?
2. I am always leary of those "autograph dealers"
3. COAs, as far as I am concerned, do the opposite of what they are supposed to do.

Rahfa
11-29-2009, 08:37 AM
My old boss got a signed baseball at Fenway - he used to wave it under my nose to piss me off...

But I would never buy one on auction.

redsoxfan565
11-29-2009, 10:09 AM
I know you guys like challenges... Out of curiosity, what do you think of this signed baseball?

Signed baseball auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-MLB-BASEBALL-UNDER-THE-DOME-PSA-COA_W0QQitemZ160377534529QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item25573ef841)

This is my signed baseball. As I have said, I will write a letter to anyone who is interested documenting its authenticity. It also comes with a PSA/DNA Certificate of Authenticity. He signed this baseball earlier this year at Fenway Park, before a game he attended versus the Toronto Blue Jays. He usually attends a few games per year, and I have had access to him at various points over the past couple of years.

If you still don't believe the signature is authentic, then I cannot tell you anything else but to check my auctions and look and compare other signatures I have of other people. I will continue to respond to the posts here, and answer any further questions.

Thanks
Nick

Randall Flagg
11-29-2009, 10:11 AM
redsoxfan565 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/member.php?u=8520)

Welcome to our Collector's forum. Thanks for coming here and discussing your auction.

redsoxfan565
11-29-2009, 10:16 AM

1. Why would he sign a baseball? Why wouldn't he? He is a huge and die hard Red Sox fan. As a Stephen King reader, you should know this, and due to him being a huge Sox fan, a signed baseball is very appropriate to ask him to sign. When I got him, I was able to get him to sign 2 baseballs. He skipped over my 1st/1st It book, but signed 2 books for my friend. He is a very weird guy, and it took me about 32 hours over the course of a weekend to obtain him.

2. I don't forge any signatures. Look at my auctions and look through the signed items I have. Compare the signatures I have of King, and others to other signed items you may/may have seen. I can't say anything else besides that.

3. Not really. While PSA just offers a service of opinion, they are regarded as the number one authentication company in the business.

redsoxfan565
11-29-2009, 10:23 AM

OK OK....

I just looked at it, and the signature actually looks good to me.

That being said, I still would not buy it because...

1. $499.99.....seriously?
2. I am always leary of those "autograph dealers"
3. COAs, as far as I am concerned, do the opposite of what they are supposed to do.

1. The auction is priced at $500 and I encourage people to use the best offer on my auctions. I usually tell people in a counter offer what the lowest I can accept is. It does get frustrating if people continue to make offers and bug me to accept lower then what I want, but it is what is. $500 for a unique signed item, that is authentic from King may/may not be a good price. I'm not too worried if it doesn't sell at that price, as I know how tough of a signature King is to obtain, so I know in my mind what he is worth.

2. That's your opinion I guess.

3. How so? Explain please.

ChristineB
11-29-2009, 10:42 AM

Many of the people on these forums have seen forged sigs that have COA's with them. This tends to taint your view of COA's in general.

redsoxfan565
11-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Many of the people on these forums have seen forged sigs that have COA's with them. This tends to taint your view of COA's in general.

It depends on where the COA's are from. Have you any proof that PSA authenticated any fake Stephen King's?

Patrick
11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
To echo RF's post: Welcome to TDT.com, Nick! We're glad to have you here to discuss your auction, and to the extent that you are a King fan, then all of his work and your interest in it.

In regards to COA's, there is nothing inherently wrong with them, and there are certainly people in the industry of authentication who offer their true, honest opinions. Unfortunately that industry is tainted by the fact that there are many COA's offered by unknown companies on signatures that are clear fakes. So in the spirit of "Buyer beware," many collectors put no stock whatsoever in COA's.

I'm no King signature expert, but I posted the link to your baseball auction mainly because I thought the sig looked pretty good - which in my experience is not the case with non-flat signed surfaces.

Again, welcome to TDT.com, Nick.

On a side note, once you have 5 posts, more member privileges will open to you.

redsoxfan565
11-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Patrick--Thank you, and if you are interested in it, send me a pm or an offer on ebay... and maybe we can find a compromise on the price and get a sale going.

Here is a closer view of the baseball:

http://www.nicksportsautographs.com/ebay/kingclose.jpg

I'd be happy to offer my opinion on other signed King items.

I guess it doesn't look like I have pm abilities, so talk to me on Ebay if you are still interested.

redsoxfan565
11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
To compare, here is a Stephen King baseball that appears to be just listed, that doesn't look authentic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-REAL-hand-SIGNED-Baseball-Under-The-Dome_W0QQitemZ390124744989QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5ad53f311d

tippy4
11-29-2009, 12:04 PM
In my opinion, most COAs are the equivalent of someone saying TRUST ME. And it is my opinion that people who say TRUST ME are usually liars.

I am not attacking you personally redsoxfan565. As I said above the signature looks good to me. I have just seen a lot of autograph dealers with items that come with COAs that are obviously bogus. I have also seen many "King Signed" baseballs that looked like forgeries.

THIS ONE (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Rare-Authentic-Autographed-Baseball_W0QQitemZ300222409862QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45e6a66c86) looks like a forgery to me, and hey look...it comes with a COA.

THIS ONE (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-BASEBALL-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ370085119557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item562acac645) also looks like a forgery, and hey, another COA.

By my count there are at least 13 Stephen King signed baseballs on ebay right now (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=king+signed+baseball+stephen+&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=king+signed+baseball&_osacat=0). Most of the signatures look good to me, but I would would not be surprised if at least 25% of them are forgeries.

As far as King signing a baseball, it still seems odd to me. Yes, I am aware he is a Sox fan, but in my opinion, it would be like a Red Sox player signing one of his books. I did see at least one auction where there is a photo of what appears to be King sigining a ball...so I guess it does happen.

redsoxfan565
11-29-2009, 12:15 PM
As far as King signing a baseball, it still seems odd to me. Yes, I am aware he is a Sox fan, but in my opinion, it would be like a Red Sox player signing one of his books.

Stephen is a very weird guy when going for him to sign. His book signings are very strict, and he usually never signs anything but his current book. He doesn't like to sign photos of himself, as he regards that is more for movie stars, but I have seen him sign them before. He didn't sign my book that day, so I pulled the baseballs out and he did them no problem.

I collect for myself a lot of signed baseballs, of baseball players, politicians, celebrities, etc. I also sell a lot of them as well. Getting someone to sign a baseball is unique, but it's not unheard of because of the American significance of baseball. Add that to King being a diehard Sox fan, and asking him to sign a baseball makes more sense. Obviously, the number one choice is to get him to sign a book, but it doesn't always work out that way with him.

Randall Flagg
11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd be happy to offer my opinion on other signed King items.

I guess it doesn't look like I have pm abilities, so talk to me on Ebay if you are still interested.
That would be welcome.

Now that you have 5 posts, you should be able to send and receive PM's-if that still is a problem, mention it in your next post.

ChristineB
11-29-2009, 12:17 PM
What amazes me about these baseballs is the price...

$2000 for a Sk signed baseball? Thats the equivilent of some of the top end S/L books, a 1/1 fine of Carrie doesn't go for that much. I am finding more and more people on ebay that must be doing some really good drugs when they price their items. I mean come on, a flatsigned 1/1 is worth $150-250 (talking about the ones that have more then a few out there), why would anyone pay more then that for a baseball he signed? But people are strange and I just have to leave it at that I guess. *shrug*

Randall Flagg
11-29-2009, 12:20 PM
The 2K price is what someone is trying to receive-I would be surprised if someone spent that much on a SK signed baseball, but it could happen.:doh:

redsoxfan565
11-29-2009, 12:23 PM
What amazes me about these baseballs is the price...

$2000 for a Sk signed baseball? Thats the equivilent of some of the top end S/L books, a 1/1 fine of Carrie doesn't go for that much. I am finding more and more people on ebay that must be doing some really good drugs when they price their items. I mean come on, a flatsigned 1/1 is worth $150-250 (talking about the ones that have more then a few out there), why would anyone pay more then that for a baseball he signed?

How many books has he signed on this recent tour? 250 at each stop, with a few unannounced signings in NYC and other places. Comparatively, how many signed baseballs are really out there? Its a unique signed item that there aren't a lot out there of. Sure it's not a book, but people collecting King know his significance and love for baseball, as well as the Sox.

tippy4
11-29-2009, 12:55 PM
$2,000 is just a ridiculous price.....period.

While a signed baseball is probably 10X more rare than a signed Under The Dome (I would estimate over 3,500 signed copies of UTD between the signed trade and the signed limited editions), the price of a signed trade and the price of the signed baseball will not be that far apart. Why? Because more King fans would rather have a signed book than a signed baseball.

I would be amazed if any of the baseballs currently listed for sale actually sold ($199.99-$1999.00). Christmas is coming, so there is always a chance I suppose.

Patrick
11-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Two grand is still way over the top, but as Jerome said, that's the seller's asking price and not necessarily what anyone is willing to pay.

By the way, Nick, thanks for posting that larger photo of the ball you have for sale (for far less than a $2K asking price, in case anyone isn't paying attention). We don't see people do that too often with non-book items.

Personally I'm not in the market because I seem to be spending all my discretionary income on various signed editions of UNDER THE DOME these days.

Calla_Wolf
11-30-2009, 04:56 AM
My 2-penneth worth

1/ Sig is authentic in my opinion
2/ Item is NOT unique - there are quite a few authentically signed baseballs
3/ $500 is almost 3 times market value
4/ If someone does pay $500 for it, well done seller - good deal. And congrats buyer - you may have paid over the odds, but you've got a good 'un so enjoy it.

tippy4
11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Well said Ceri.

jhanic
11-30-2009, 10:03 AM
As usual, I'll bow to Ceri in all matters regarding signatures.

John

Calla_Wolf
11-30-2009, 11:49 AM
As usual, I'll bow to Ceri in all matters regarding signatures.

John

:blush:

Hey, I get it wrong sometimes...but thanks matey :unsure:

redsoxfan565
11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
My 2-penneth worth

4/ If someone does pay $500 for it, well done seller - good deal. And congrats buyer - you may have paid over the odds, but you've got a good 'un so enjoy it.

Please respond with your reasoning for saying it is NOT unique. What is unique to you?

carlosdetweiller
11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
My 2-penneth worth

Please respond with your reasoning for saying it is NOT unique. What is unique to you?

unique - being the only one: SOLE

the above definition from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.

jhanic
11-30-2009, 01:17 PM
I currently count at least 13 supposedly King-signed baseballs on eBay. Not unique.

John

Calla_Wolf
11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Further, there have been dozens of signed baseballs over the past year. Some were ridiculous fakes but some were quite genuine.

In the collecting world there are rarities (the Lettered Firestarter or Lettered Gunslingers or 1st state Salem's Lot dustjackets) that command a premium price, but very very few unique items (and to use the term in this context is, at best, sloppy and at worst highly misleading).
With respect, your signed baseball is "unusual" or "uncommon", but it is neither rare nor unique.

tippy4
11-30-2009, 01:33 PM
There was a cat skull that was allegedly signed by King for sale earlier this year.

The signature was iffy, but I could not say for sure that it was a fake (In my opinion it was a fake).

Now that would fall under the category of unique (assuming it was a legit signature).

Randall Flagg
11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Unique:

alone(p): radically distinctive and without equal; "he is alone in the field of microbiology"; "this theory is altogether alone in its penetration ...
singular: the single one of its kind; "a singular example"; "the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting"; "a unique copy of an ancient manuscript"; "certain types of problems have unique solutions"
highly unusual or rare but not the single instance; "spoke with a unique accent"; "had unique ability in raising funds"; "a frankness unique in literature"; "a unique dining experience"

Unique could be more than the SOLE existence, but certainly dozens if not hundreds of a legitimately King signed baseballs would not each be (in my mind) unique.

Unique could be "Bob, the Red Sox won it all today! Stephen King 10/27/04"

Rahfa
11-30-2009, 06:34 PM
If my old boss - who has never read a word Stephen King has ever written - can manage to get a signed baseball, then I don't think there's any big shortage of them floating around...a lot of them? Maybe not, but plenty of them, yes...

Sam
11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
I just read the 2008 issue of Autograph magazine, and this is a similar photo to the one listed in the magazine as a forgery. Seeing the same photo signed with a similar pen makes me suspect. Thoughts please?

*edit. Thanks Patrick*
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-RARE-SIGNED-AUTHENTIC-8x10-photo-w-COA_W0QQitemZ220517958352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3357e502d0

Patrick
11-30-2009, 10:37 PM
I just read the 2008 issue of Autograph magazine, and this is a similar photo to the one listed in the magazine as a forgery. Seeing the same photo signed with a similar pen makes me suspect. Thoughts please?
Sam, did you mean to include a link or a photo in your post? Or are you referring to something upthread?

Sam
11-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I THOUGHT I had included the link. I'll fix it.

Calla_Wolf
12-01-2009, 12:14 AM

*edit. Thanks Patrick*
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-RARE-SIGNED-AUTHENTIC-8x10-photo-w-COA_W0QQitemZ220517958352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3357e502d0

Stinks. There were so many "signed" photos and scripts on Ebay when I ran SKFakes that I actually stopped listing them and advised people to steer clear of ALL such items.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-01-2009, 12:30 AM

*edit. Thanks Patrick*

I consider myself an amateur when it comes to SK sigs. But, this one doesnt look very good to my untrained eye.

Brice
12-01-2009, 05:30 AM

*edit. Thanks Patrick*

That look on Steve's face is saying You're not really gonna' buy this shit, are you?

Sam
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I agree with you guys that it is most likely a fake. I don't believe it's the real thing, and the fact that it comes with a PSA/DNA certificate of authenticity only solidifies my opinion that COA's from that company hold zero value for me as a collector.

Now, a COA from a recognized auction house or a recognized expert might actually hold weight but that's pretty much it.

Darkmaniscoming
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
SHYTE...

What does everyone think of these signatures?

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/altezahuncorp/WolvesCalia1.jpg

Darkmaniscoming
12-01-2009, 03:28 PM
MORE SHYTE

*edit. Thanks Patrick*

That look on Steve's face is saying You're not really gonna' buy this shit, are you?

Darkmaniscoming
12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Never could figure out why a baseball signed by king meant anything....
I'm gonna see if i can get a king book signed by Nolan Ryan....now that would be something....hehehe

If my old boss - who has never read a word Stephen King has ever written - can manage to get a signed baseball, then I don't think there's any big shortage of them floating around...a lot of them? Maybe not, but plenty of them, yes...

Randall Flagg
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Never could figure out why a baseball signed by king meant anything....
I'm gonna see if i can get a king book signed by Nolan Ryan....now that would be something....hehehe

Maybe if Robin Ventura wrote a book a Nolan Ryan sig would be cool....

http://misanthronomicon.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/ryan_ventura.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
12-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Here is true Ebay BS

The seller won't correct the listing and has let it run it's course. I know it's up to the buyer to do his/her homework but to be told it's not a 1st as listed and won't change makes this wrong in my book:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Shining-Stephen-King-First-1st-Edition-Nicholson_W0QQitemZ140362685263QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ US_Fiction_Books?hash=item20ae449b4f

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

gsvec
12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Here is true Ebay BS

The seller won't correct the listing and has let it run it's course. I know it's up to the buyer to do his/her homework but to be told it's not a 1st as listed and won't change makes this wrong in my book:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Shining-Stephen-King-First-1st-Edition-Nicholson_W0QQitemZ140362685263QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ US_Fiction_Books?hash=item20ae449b4f

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
What gets me is his "I understand this is a First US Edition" statement - he's giving himself an out. And where the hell did he get those "reviews" - from the B&N or Borders websites or something? Jamie? banshii? Sheesh.

lophophoras
12-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Here is true Ebay BS

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
What gets me is his "I understand this is a First US Edition" statement - he's giving himself an out. And where the hell did he get those "reviews" - from the B&N or Borders websites or something? Jamie? banshii? Sheesh.

That sux! The book sold for $94.00 to a person with a feedback of only "6".

Someone's going to be dissappointed.

:orely:

redsoxfan565
12-02-2009, 06:25 AM
I agree with you guys that it is most likely a fake. I don't believe it's the real thing, and the fact that it comes with a PSA/DNA certificate of authenticity only solidifies my opinion that COA's from that company hold zero value for me as a collector.

Now, a COA from a recognized auction house or a recognized expert might actually hold weight but that's pretty much it.

It doesn't come with a coa from PSA. Please read the description again before making a comment like this.

jhanic
12-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Here is true Ebay BS

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

That sux! The book sold for $94.00 to a person with a feedback of only "6".

Someone's going to be dissappointed.

:orely:

He may not be disappointed--he probably doesn't know any better.

John

Sam
12-02-2009, 07:43 AM

It doesn't come with a coa from PSA. Please read the description again before making a comment like this.

I looked at the auction from my original post again and there is a HUGE PSA/DNA sign at the bottom of the description page.

Here is the link (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-RARE-SIGNED-AUTHENTIC-8x10-photo-w-COA_W0QQitemZ220517958352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3357e502d0). The description doesn't say PSA COA, no. However, from the description saying a certificate of authenticity in included and putting the PSA logo and guarantee on the page says that's who issued the COA. Please recheck the auction page.

I'm no newbie to the game of COAs. I've been collecting comics for years and knew plenty of dealers who printed their own COAs for their forged stuff. Some even printed forged COAs. A COA is only worth the reputation of the entity issuing it. So a COA from Sotheby's holds weight, but auctions like this one are a big reason collector's rarely trust COAs.

ChristineB
12-02-2009, 01:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-SHINING-SIGNED-SCRIPT-JACK-NICHOLSON-STEPHEN-KING_W0QQitemZ270494456854QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3efab9dc16

Is it just me or is this Sig as fake as I think it is?

jhanic
12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
I have yet to see any of these so-called signatures on scripts be authentic. Avoid at all costs!

John

ChristineB
12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Interesing listing here. http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-1st-Edition-REVIEW-COPY-1981-CUJO_W0QQitemZ380158462207QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item588335c8ff

From what I understand of ARCs and the like they usually have something on the book that states they are review copies correct? Ofcourse why would you include all the paperwork this listing does if it isn't an advanced copy.

jhanic
12-02-2009, 02:42 PM
That's a legitimate review copy. I've seen similar ones before. Of course, tinah has WAY overpriced it. It should be about one-tenth that price.

John

Sam
12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Before I'd purchase that, I would want to see the entire dust jacket panel, both sides, to ensure this isn't a BCE dj. As for the ARC, I would imagine that Viking may have actually sent out hardcover copies of the book much like Scribner did with Under the Dome for review purposes. As to the price, I think it's grossly overpriced, but that's my opinion and it's not an informed one at that.

*edit* I didn't notcie it was tinah's auction. She isn't known to sell fakes, but her prices are almost always sky high/astronomical/unrealistic. For instance, she has a S/L Essential Stephen King listed for $300. I bought the last signed copy from Stu at Bett's for $35 a couple of months ago and often see them on ebay for around $100.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Of course its overpriced. Tina must have bought it from Tim Miller. (See the flatsigned thread)

carlosdetweiller
12-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Review material that is laid into the book can be problematic unless you get the book directly from the publisher or reviewer. Because it is loose it can be transferred from one book to another, just like a dust jacket.

So if an unscrupulous seller has a beat up review copy he can just put the review material in a pristine copy and "Voila!", now he has a pristine "review copy."

It's probably not that big of a deal but I'm kind of a purist when it comes to things like that.

Sam
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
But you're absolutely right Bob. All the review copy really is when they do that, unless it is stamped or otherwise marked as a review copy, is turn the review copy into a first edition the moment the book is published. Think about this, Just After Sunset was released a week after the event in MA where Stephen King signed about 400 copies of the novel. There were no extra books and the sponsors had to get special permission to release those books a week early to the attendees. That makes my signed copy the true first edition instead of those purchased in stores a week later. I don't think that makes the book worth anything more than if someone takes their store bought first edition and obtains King's signature in their copy of JAS. Not worth anymore, they are both first editions and are identical. The letters are worth something, but not that much. Just my opinion.

redsoxfan565
12-03-2009, 11:47 AM

I looked at the auction from my original post again and there is a HUGE PSA/DNA sign at the bottom of the description page.

Here is the link (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-RARE-SIGNED-AUTHENTIC-8x10-photo-w-COA_W0QQitemZ220517958352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3357e502d0). The description doesn't say PSA COA, no. However, from the description saying a certificate of authenticity in included and putting the PSA logo and guarantee on the page says that's who issued the COA. Please recheck the auction page.

I'm no newbie to the game of COAs. I've been collecting comics for years and knew plenty of dealers who printed their own COAs for their forged stuff. Some even printed forged COAs. A COA is only worth the reputation of the entity issuing it. So a COA from Sotheby's holds weight, but auctions like this one are a big reason collector's rarely trust COAs.

He says that it will pass PSA, but he doesn't give you a PSA authentication certificate with the auction. The seller is obviously trying to say that the auction is authentic, by putting the PSA logo in there, but its really meaningless without an actual PSA certificate.

Patrick
12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
... there is a HUGE PSA/DNA sign at the bottom of the description page... The description doesn't say PSA COA, no. However, from the description saying a certificate of authenticity in included and putting the PSA logo and guarantee on the page says that's who issued the COA. ...auctions like this one are a big reason collector's rarely trust COAs.
He says that it will pass PSA, but he doesn't give you a PSA authentication certificate with the auction. The seller is obviously trying to say that the auction is authentic, by putting the PSA logo in there, but its really meaningless without an actual PSA certificate. Unfortunately the intent to mislead exhibited by this seller acts to further fuel the mistrust of COA's in general.

redsoxfan565
12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
... there is a HUGE PSA/DNA sign at the bottom of the description page... The description doesn't say PSA COA, no. However, from the description saying a certificate of authenticity in included and putting the PSA logo and guarantee on the page says that's who issued the COA. ...auctions like this one are a big reason collector's rarely trust COAs.
He says that it will pass PSA, but he doesn't give you a PSA authentication certificate with the auction. The seller is obviously trying to say that the auction is authentic, by putting the PSA logo in there, but its really meaningless without an actual PSA certificate. Unfortunately the intent to mislead exhibited by this seller acts to further fuel the mistrust of COA's in general.

No it doesn't do anything to negatively effect COA's, but it shows that you should mistrust this specific seller. You seem to attack COA's, but its more you should be looking at the seller who issues the COA's and making a judgment based upon them, not based upon whether they issue a COA or not.

Brice
12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
What value does a COA have, at all? It is simply a piece of paper authenticating the item. It seems simpler to buy from sellers that you know need no COA....ones you can trust because of who they are and how they are...not because of some piece of paper which can be easily made by anyone.

This post will arrive with a COA. :cyclops:

Sam
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM

No it doesn't do anything to negatively effect COA's, but it shows that you should mistrust this specific seller. You seem to attack COA's, but its more you should be looking at the seller who issues the COA's and making a judgment based upon them, not based upon whether they issue a COA or not.

Let me put it simply then. ANY COA issued by a secondary dealer (ie. any entity that is not the publisher, printer, maker, or distributor) is suspect and not worth anything more than the paper they are printed on. Any COA issued by an auction house is worth nothing more than the reputation of that auction house (this refers to places like Christie's, Sotheby's, and your local auction house, not ebay). There is NO entity in the secondary collecting market today that I am aware of that can issue a COA that adds even a dime to the value of any item OR alieviates any doubts I may have concerning the authenticity of an autograph one iota.

No COA in the comic or book collecting world issued by a dealer, seller, third party, or other entity not involved in the creation and/or ORIGINAL distribution of the book holds any value. That is not just my opinion. That is the opinion of many, no, MOST collectors in the comic and book world. I have no familiarity with the autograph collecting world beyond comics and book so cannot speak for those collectors.

What negatively affected my view of COAs (because when I first started collecting comics years ago, I trusted COAs)? Forged signatures with fucking COAs attached to them. People printing their own COAs. People getting COAs from certified services, WITH the proper numbers and all, for forged items. That is what soured me on COAs. That's what taught me COAs are worthless. It's also what taught thousands of other collectors the same thing redsoxfan. If you believe otherwise, you're fooling yourself.

Finally, I will put this out there. If YOU are a collector, and you trust COAs, please speak up. Let us know you trust them, and tell us how long you've been collecting. Please. There will be no flaming regarding that. I just want to know if there are collector's here that trust Certificates Of Authenticity.

tippy4
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Well said Sam.

Like I said before, a COA is the equivalant of the seller saying "trust me", and people who ask you to trust them are often untrustworthy.

I am suspicious of ANY seller who offers a COA. I avoid the auction in most cases even if the signature looks good BECAUSE of the COA. The point I am trying to make here is that for me, offering a COA actually does the opposite of its intended purpose (which is to help to sell the item).

redsoxfan565....the people in this forum are your demographic....instead of arguing with them, maybe you should be listening to them?

Patrick
12-03-2009, 09:49 PM

I did not say that it negatively affects COA's, nor was I attacking COA's. I said the bad behavior affects people's impression of COA's. As a general statement, I agree with you that sellers should be viewed on a case by case basis.

We are not disagreeing, we're just not talking about the same thing. You are addressing reality, I am talking about perception. In all of sales, the potential buyer's perceptions make or break the sale.

namelessnpoor
12-04-2009, 04:22 AM
What is the opinion of this signature? Considering buying this signed blaze but wanted to see what the consensus was on the validity of the sig. Thanks

Update it was supposedly signed in person in New York, trying to find out when and what event or how he met him?

Ok it was supposedly signed at the New Yorker Festival in 2005 in person.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1434/scan0005gv.jpg

jhanic
12-04-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm hesitant about it. It looks too "even" to be one of King's more recent signatures. His recent signatures seem more cramped. Also, I think that on all the Blaze signatures I've seen, King crossed out the Richard Bachman name, if I'm not mistaken.

John

Room 217 Caretaker
12-04-2009, 07:26 AM

Hello Nick

In your auction you mention AUTHENTICATED BY PSA/DNA

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-MLB-BASEBALL-UNDER-THE-DOME-PSA-COA_W0QQitemZ160377534529QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item25573ef841

Where can one go to verify this authentication?

If I go to http://www.psadna.com/verify.chtml and key in the number showing on your PSA/DNA certificate J14765 assigned to this baseball I get:

PSA/DNA Certification Number J14765 was not found in the PSA/DNA Certification Database

According to Bob Wilson of PSA/DNA a member from Arthur Anderson MUST BE PRESENT to witness the signing and this representative will place an official authentic hologram featuring the league's silhouetted batter logo and will be catalogued on the league's Web for future reference.

J14765 on your authentication ticket should match the hologram on the baseball. Can you take a picture of the tamper-evident label affixed to the item so we can see the PSA/DNA number and match it to the certificate you are showing in your auction?

Thanks

Ralph Mulleins

Rahfa
12-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Funny...that's probably a real signature on that baseball, but he's ruined his credibility with a questionable COA that doesn't matter anyway...

Rahfa
12-04-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't like it...I agree, it looks too 'even' or 'straight' or something I can't put my finger on...

I have a traced fake, and it reminds me of that one.

Randall Flagg
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
What is the opinion of this signature? Considering buying this signed blaze but wanted to see what the consensus was on the validity of the sig. Thanks

Update it was supposedly signed in person in New York, trying to find out when and what event or how he met him?

Compare it with these signatures from the last ~10 years:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/Slide3.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4788
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4788

jhanic
12-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I can't see the last two.

John

namelessnpoor
12-04-2009, 09:45 AM
to me it looks like most of those you posted, my first thought when i saw it was the same as Johns, that it just looked a little to straight and neat, but it looks ok to me otherwise.
So do you think its good RF?

Randall Flagg
12-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I think it is a good signature, (or a great fake), but I am concerned that Bachman wasn't crossed off.

Patrick
12-04-2009, 12:16 PM
...According to Bob Wilson of PSA/DNA a member from Arthur Anderson MUST BE PRESENT to witness the signing and this representative will place an official authentic hologram featuring the league's silhouetted batter logo and will be catalogued on the league's Web for future reference. ...
Looks like Ralph has done some homework. I haven't, so I'll ask:

Would the MLB actions ("an official authentic hologram featuring the league's silhouetted batter logo and will be catalogued on the league's Web for future reference") make sense when the signature is from someone other than an MLB player (e.g. Stephen King)?

If the above is not appropriate, then what action does PSA/DNA take to link the COA to the appropriate item?

EDIT:

Hello Nick

In your auction you mention AUTHENTICATED BY PSA/DNA

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-MLB-BASEBALL-UNDER-THE-DOME-PSA-COA_W0QQitemZ160377534529QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item25573ef841

Where can one go to verify this authentication?

If I go to http://www.psadna.com/verify.chtml and key in the number showing on your PSA/DNA certificate J14765 assigned to this baseball I get:

PSA/DNA Certification Number J14765 was not found in the PSA/DNA Certification Database

I just tried it using that link and it worked:

PSA/DNA Authentication Services it is our opinion that the signature(s) is/are genuine. According to the Certification Database, this item is defined as follows:

Primary Person: King, Stephen

Item: BASEBALL

Manufacturer: Rawlings

Authentication Date: 12/01/2009

Number of Signatures: 1

No photo of the authenticated item was available which is puzzling.

More puzzling is that I originally posted the link to the auction back on November 28th, but PSA/DNA says they did authenticate the signature until December 1st.

namelessnpoor
12-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I think it is a good signature, (or a great fake), but I am concerned that Bachman wasn't crossed off.

You and John both mentioned that, i wasn't aware he did that, also on the image that Shibus posted a few posta ago if his copy, bachman isn't crossed out. Just an observation.

carlosdetweiller
12-04-2009, 12:47 PM
I think that it is fake but I would like to see a better (larger) picture to be sure. There is something in the "ph" in Stephen that I don't like. I think those letters are too wide and defined to be typical of King's sig. It doesn't look convincing to me.

It's one of those that, if it were in my collection, I would have lingering doubts as to its veracity and would never be completely comfortable with it. It would probably keep me up at night, too, worrying about it.

carlosdetweiller
12-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Or.....now that Tim Miller has joined our board maybe he will chime in and give us a definitive answer! What do you say, Tim?

Calla_Wolf
12-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I lean towards genuine.....but I would've asked Bob and Dave and Greg first. Bob would've been a thumbs down...

Patrick
12-04-2009, 01:23 PM
FYI: I moved the discussion regarding the signed BLAZE from the general questions thread to this one as it the topic is the authenticity of a specific signature. Thanks.

tippy4
12-04-2009, 05:00 PM
You should ask the seller to zoom in on the signature and send you a picture.

redsoxfan565
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
To answer the questions above, the item was authenticated during the first week of November. They didn't add it to their online database until December. It usually takes them a few weeks to do this, they are quite lazy. As someone already stated, it has been added into the system.

"According to Bob Wilson of PSA/DNA a member from Arthur Anderson MUST BE PRESENT to witness the signing and this representative will place an official authentic hologram featuring the league's silhouetted batter logo and will be catalogued on the league's Web for future reference."

I have no idea what you are referencing this from, but this is in regards to MLB Authentication, and PSA/DNA specific authentication in which they are present when the item is signed. You can submit items to them, and pay for their opinion when they aren't present. The MLB Authentication has nothing to do with my item, even though it's signed on a baseball. MLB Authentication is a totally different entity, as is the PSA authentication in which they witness the signing.

redsoxfan565
12-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Funny...that's probably a real signature on that baseball, but he's ruined his credibility with a questionable COA that doesn't matter anyway...

Not really, because most people trust PSA's opinion. The majority of this board doesn't seem to want to respect COA's because of past opinion, or experiences, which as stated should not be the case, but rather you should look at the actual sellers and determine whether or not you feel comfortable buying from them. Having a "COA" added to an item shouldn't be a determining factor in purchasing an autograph. The problem you guys have is that you guys seem to want to say everything with a COA is fake, because why would someone include a COA if it was real. That isn't very good logic, and shouldn't have any weight when buying autographs.

redsoxfan565
12-04-2009, 05:45 PM
...According to Bob Wilson of PSA/DNA a member from Arthur Anderson MUST BE PRESENT to witness the signing and this representative will place an official authentic hologram featuring the league's silhouetted batter logo and will be catalogued on the league's Web for future reference. ...

Would the MLB actions ("an official authentic hologram featuring the league's silhouetted batter logo and will be catalogued on the league's Web for future reference") make sense when the signature is from someone other than an MLB player (e.g. Stephen King)?

If the above is not appropriate, then what action does PSA/DNA take to link the COA to the appropriate item?

Ralph hasn't actually done his homework, as he is referencing something that has nothing to do with my auction, or my item. MLB Authentication is different, as well as PSA witnessed signings.

As far as anything else, you pay PSA for an opinion on your autograph. If their authenticators seem to think that the item is likely genuine, they will issue a COA and matching sticker on the item based upon this opinion. Obviously, because it's an opinion service they make mistakes, just like any human being would. However, PSA has been recognized as a company that can be trusted when buying items with their COA's.

Randall Flagg
12-04-2009, 05:49 PM
You should ask the seller to zoom in on the signature and send you a picture.
Agreed.

I think that it is fake but I would like to see a better (larger) picture to be sure. There is something in the "ph" in Stephen that I don't like. I think those letters are too wide and defined to be typical of King's sig. It doesn't look convincing to me.It's one of those that, if it were in my collection, I would have lingering doubts as to its veracity and would never be completely comfortable with it. It would probably keep me up at night, too, worrying about it.
I thought so too, the line downwards of the 'P' seemed too perpendicular, but if you rotate the image the line (to me) looks normal.
When in doubt-NEVER EVER buy-no need to lose sleep over this.

You and John both mentioned that, i wasn't aware he did that, also on the image that Shibus posted a few posta ago if his copy, bachman isn't crossed out. Just an observation.
Concerned, but not refuting.

Sam
12-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree with you 100% in your assertion that the inclusion of a COA does not make a signature fake. You're absolutely correct. It also does not make a signature real either. That is my entire point. PSA guarantees their signatures are real or they return your money, am I correct? Good. As long as they uphold that guarantee and are willing to accept the opinion of a third party then there shouldn't be any troubles. But what you don't seem to understand redsoxfan565, is that our experience with fraudulent signatures in the book collecting world OFTEN come with COAs and enforcing those COAs is right next to impossible. If you can find me a reputable rare and used book dealer that loves and respects COAs, I will congratulate you. I haven't met any yet. I ALSO don't know any comics dealer (well, I do know one, but he is a known thief and cheat who issues his own COAs) that recommend a COA issued by anyone other than the publisher or writer of the comic.

Again, I'm speaking of COAs from secondary sources not from the publisher, autographer, distributor, or printer. COAs from such sources are valid and hold their value the same way an authorized Signed Limited Edition will.

Rahfa
12-04-2009, 05:59 PM

Not really, because most people trust PSA's opinion. The majority of this board doesn't seem to want to respect COA's because of past opinion, or experiences, which as stated should not be the case, but rather you should look at the actual sellers and determine whether or not you feel comfortable buying from them. Having a "COA" added to an item shouldn't be a determining factor in purchasing an autograph. The problem you guys have is that you guys seem to want to say everything with a COA is fake, because why would someone include a COA if it was real. That isn't very good logic, and shouldn't have any weight when buying autographs.

I made that post when the link didn't work...since it does, that's fine now.

But, yeah, you're right about my COA opinion - an item with a COA is less likely to be real in my eyes. I just think it's smoke and mirrors. A signature either is real, or not, and I'll trust my own eyes.

Like I said, the signature is real.

The COA however, from PSA or whoever, means nothing to me. Not pro or con.

Sam
12-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Redsoxfan565,
I know you're a dealer, but what do you sell mostly? Do you sell mostly signed memorabilia (did I spell that right), rare books, stephen king items, fairy wands, what? I ask because your opinion is colored by your experience, just as our's is colored by our experiences, and I can't help but wonder if it is simply a difference in the two collecting worlds, our's and your's.

Sam
12-04-2009, 06:15 PM
This link (http://www.artbusiness.com/certaut.html) discusses the same proliferation of COAs that were are discussion. As it relates to the art world, such questions, I believe, extend over into the book world. Redsoxfan565, I suggest you give it a read. This opinion is shared throughout the collecting world, not just on this forum.

One other thing, I haven't seen PSA mentioned on many of the King signatures that were obvious fakes except on the baseball related items like balls and bats. Perhaps PSA is more well known in the sports collectibles circles than in the book collecting world?

johnsmith87
12-04-2009, 06:53 PM

2005? Blaze wasn't published till 2007, right? Or am I missing something?

willie3
12-04-2009, 06:59 PM

2005? Blaze wasn't published till 2007, right? Or am I missing something?

:doh:

Looks like someone has their "gameface" on.
Good pickup John.:thumbsup:

johnsmith87
12-04-2009, 07:21 PM
:rofl:

Glad I could help. :D

Brice
12-05-2009, 03:45 AM
This link (http://www.artbusiness.com/certaut.html) discusses the same proliferation of COAs that were are discussion. As it relates to the art world, such questions, I believe, extend over into the book world. Redsoxfan565, I suggest you give it a read. This opinion is shared throughout the collecting world, not just on this forum.

One other thing, I haven't seen PSA mentioned on many of the King signatures that were obvious fakes except on the baseball related items like balls and bats. Perhaps PSA is more well known in the sports collectibles circles than in the book collecting world?

PSA started out doing sports autograph authentication and have sort of branched out if I recall correctly. I think the bulk of their authentications are sports related, but they do other stuff also. It's possible I'm wrong about this though as I'm just going from memory...which for me is thin.

You're right...that wouldn't be very good logic, but it's not an argument anyone here has made as far as I recall. Regardless, basing your trust of COAs on past experience is very logical. Furthur...logic would lead to the idea that if you're buying from a seller you feel comfortable with or trust why would you need a COA? I agree that it being there doesn't really take anything away from the item sold, but it adds nothing also. Best advice I think is buy from a seller you know and trust, or one who has an exceptionally solid reputation, or just realize you're taking a chance and that any COA (including PSA's) can be relatively easily forged. It's not so hard to match papers, inks, or even a hologam if someone wants to make the effort and once that is done ONCE it can be done in seconds on a larger scale.

Sam
12-05-2009, 05:09 AM
The only advantage I see with PSA's COA system is they appear to have their certifications listed online as well as in print. For right now, this means we can access their records and check the COA without having to lay eyes upon it. That will help their validity in the long run, as long as they record the listing in a timely manner.

Damn, this has been discussed so much maybe we need to start another thread just for COAs?

Brice
12-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Good idea!

Perfect title: This Thread Comes With A COA. :lol:

carlosdetweiller
12-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Personally I feel these "authentication" services actually DO lower the value of signed books that I am considering for my collection. Here's why I feel this way:

These guys at these "authentication" services have no more experience in judging Stephen King's signature than I do. In fact, after 28 years of collecting King stuff, I suspect I have a better feel for genuine vs. forged King signatures than anyone they employ. When I am not sure about a signature I have a couple of friends that I can get a second opinion from and, together, we can reach a valid conclusion. Once reached, that conclusion, to me, carries much more weight than any certificate doled out by some faceless company.

The stickers that they use to mark the certified books are permanent. I've been told (by Tim Miller, who I actually DO trust on this particular issue) that attempting to remove the sticker will DEFINITELY damage the paper it is adhered to.

It becomes, for me anyway, a flaw with the book much as a previous owner's signature, gift inscription or a price-clipped dust jacket would. I think they are tacky and unnecessary. I NEVER consider adding such books to my collection.

Brice
12-05-2009, 05:25 AM
They attach their stickers directly to the books???? :beat: WTF? I wouldn't want that either.

Also I suspect you and your friend's opinions on a sig would hold more weight than those authentification services for anyone on the site, Bob.

carlosdetweiller
12-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Also I suspect you and your friend's opinions on a sig would hold more weight for anyone on the site, Bob.

Thanks! I think so too. I think Dave Hutcheson's opinion is the one I trust the most. At least he is able to put into words why he thinks a sig is genuine or fake much better than I can. When Ceri was running his skfakes site and offering opinions on submitted signatures I was on the panel of "experts," along with Shibus, Hutch, Roy Robbins and, of course, Ceri. We didn't always have 100% agreement on the panel but we looked at a LOT of examples and, over time, got pretty good (IMO).

You can never be sure about the faceless person behind the "authentication" sticker and certificate. Heck, they may have just started on the job yesterday and this was their first example of King's signature to evaluate. They turn to a couple of examples of King's signature in their database and say "Hmmmmm.....I guess so." Then they slap a permanent sticker in the book and move on to the next one. Just like that you've got a "validated" signature.

Brice
12-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Also I suspect you and your friend's opinions on a sig would hold more weight for anyone on the site, Bob.

Thanks! I think so too. I think Dave Hutcheson's opinion is the one I trust the most. At least he is able to put into words why he thinks a sig is genuine or fake much better than I can. When Ceri was running his skfakes site and offering opinions on submitted signatures I was on the panel of "experts," along with Shibus, Hutch, Roy Robbins and, of course, Ceri. We didn't always have 100% agreement on the panel but we looked at a LOT of examples and, over time, got pretty good (IMO).

You can never be sure about the faceless person behind the "authentication" sticker and certificate. Heck, they may have just started on the job yesterday and this was their first example of King's signature to evaluate. They turn to a couple of examples of King's signature in their database and say "Hmmmmm.....I guess so." Then they slap a permanent sticker in the book and move on to the next one. Just like that you've got a "validated" signature.

I didn't even know who you were back when I was on skfakes...that was before I even discovered tdt.net. :lol: I'd have trusted the opinion of any of y'all on Ceri's little panel of experts though...despite the fact that you and Hutch didn't like the sig on the one flatsigned book I had.<_< :P A concensus between that group of people is probably about as authoritative as it gets. I miss that place. Now I'd say we still have quite a group of collectors here too for judging sigs.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-05-2009, 06:18 AM

Ralph hasn't actually done his homework, as he is referencing something that has nothing to do with my auction, or my item. MLB Authentication is different, as well as PSA witnessed signings.

As far as anything else, you pay PSA for an opinion on your autograph. If their authenticators seem to think that the item is likely genuine, they will issue a COA and matching sticker on the item based upon this opinion. Obviously, because it's an opinion service they make mistakes, just like any human being would. However, PSA has been recognized as a company that can be trusted when buying items with their COA's.

Well Nick, I hate to disappoint but I did my homework.

On Sunday, ‎November ‎29, ‎2009, ‏‎5:07:02 PM I went to your auction, looked at the signature, noticed the PSA/DNA #J14765.
Same day, went to the PSA/DNA verification website and it clearly kept saying J14765 couldn’t be found.

I sent an email the same day to PSA/DNA asking to verify the certificate.

Yes you say “they are slow and delayed the certificate authentication”, but you hurt your reputation by putting it out there before the certificate showed on the website.

Not everyone on Ebay is dumb, some of us do our homework.

In response to your comment “he (meaning me) is referencing something that has nothing to do with my auction”

You can thank the PSA/DNA Email response for pointing me to that part of the website explaining the process for a MLB to be signed. I’m sorry but your auction sure looked like a MLB baseball to me.

Your “I have no idea what you are referencing this from” really bothers me since you are supposed to be an authorized reseller of PSA/DNA items and clearly should of known what I was referring.

Much to my surprise, PSA/DNA also referred me back to the website explaining this shocking statement:

“PSA/DNA does not view authenticated items offered for sale in any venue and does not warrant or guarantee that any such authenticated item is, in fact, a genuine PSA/DNA authenticated item. Moreover, PSA/DNA disclaims any warranty, express or implied, with respect to the accuracy of the information provided herein, or with respect to any damages you may incur based upon your reliance on such information.”

So, my homework tells me even a company that offers certifications can’t be trusted.

If you think I’m fabricating the above statement or making up my homework, please visit the PSA/DNA certification website for yourself and see the above quote in clear text, not encrypted.

http://www.psadna.com/verify.chtml

I know……I know……teachers always hate when the student knows more than the teacher. But good homework can do that.

My closing opinion, people that sell items with COA certificates are bottom feeders and have made Ebay the dump it is today.

Dear Santa,
I hope my homework gives me an A++++++++ because I really want an official Red Ryder Carbon Action 200 shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock.

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
12-05-2009, 06:21 AM
:thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
12-05-2009, 06:26 AM
You've been a good boy.
Merry Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-89yiueWNGo&feature=player_embedded#

lophophoras
12-05-2009, 06:29 AM
:clap:

ChristineB
12-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I always wondered how these COA companies actually authenticate the items.

To be honest unless they have a handwriting expert look at the item in person and then authenitcate it I wouldn't put any stock in them at all. Seeing as this would be cost prohibitive on items that go for just a couple hundred dollars I have never thought they were worth anything at all.

I was looking at one of the copies of the Carrie script that is supposedly signed by SK and the sig is so bad it is just laughable. But the selller assured me it was authentic because it had a COA with it. :unsure: It is stuff like this that makes COA's worthless.

Edit: It seems the script I was referring to has been taken off ebay and replaced with one that actually looks like SK's sig, not that I believe it is. Maybe that person got smart.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Dear Santa,
I hope my homework gives me an A++++++++ because I really want an official Red Ryder Carbon Action 200 shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock.

Oooo! Oooo! I want one of those!

(Pity I've been a naughty boy though) :(

SkippyD023
12-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Dear Santa,

You'll shoot your eye out!!!

willie3
12-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Dear Santa,

You'll shoot your eye out!!!

>>>>> :borg: <<<<<

Patrick
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
:lol: I love that movie!

“PSA/DNA does not view authenticated items offered for sale in any venue and does not warrant or guarantee that any such authenticated item is, in fact, a genuine PSA/DNA authenticated item...
I read this to say that the company doesn't want to respond to endless requests to view items in eBay auctions and respond with whether a particular item was actually verified by the company. This is understandable, in my opinion. Instead they offer the verification database thingy that we tested with the baseball auction upthread. This seems reasonable to me.

...Moreover, PSA/DNA disclaims any warranty, express or implied, with respect to the accuracy of the information provided herein, or with respect to any damages you may incur based upon your reliance on such information.”This sounds like a standard legal disclaimer that anyone can be fooled by a good forgery and therefore there are no guarantees. This seems fair to me as well.

If anyone is reading these statements with a different interpretation, please post so as I'd be interested in hearing.

Personally I'm in the mindset of ambivalence regarding COA's. They neither help nor hurt. Unless someone puts a sticker on a collectible book - that meaningfully decreases the value.

Brice
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
That's true, but if you're gonna' be authenticating stuff you should be solidly standing behind each authentification, IMO. To hell with the legalese. If you can't stand behind (and therefor be held responsible for your judgements) then what value does the COA have at all? None, I think....except perhaps to dupe the suckers.

Patrick
12-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Well, the disclaimer is really just the honest truth - it's possible to be duped. Even our highly knowledgeable collectors here remind us of their personal disclaimers from time to time.

Everyone is fallible, so to your point, reputation is everything - including for those who believe in the authentication industry and its COA's.

Brice
12-05-2009, 03:06 PM
True, I suppose.

gsvec
12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm right there with Bob on COAs - especially the whole 'sticker' thing.

And now we move from signed baseballs to a signed baseball hat. Pure crap, IMO. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-signed-Boston-Red-Sox-baseball-hat_W0QQitemZ250541798587QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3a557474bb)

jhanic
12-05-2009, 04:22 PM
And he's offering a COA for it!

John

Randall Flagg
12-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I would prefer good packaging over a COA. I suppose numerous COA's could be used as packaging 'peanuts'. :ninja:

Brice
12-05-2009, 04:40 PM
:lol:

Patrick
12-05-2009, 06:53 PM
:doh:

Sam
12-05-2009, 08:08 PM
DAYUM!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-05-2009, 09:05 PM

And now we move from signed baseballs to a signed baseball hat. Pure crap, IMO. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-signed-Boston-Red-Sox-baseball-hat_W0QQitemZ250541798587QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3a557474bb)

That sig, if fake, would fool me.

Calla_Wolf
12-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Oh my aching sides (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-KING-DUNLOP-AUTOGRAPH-SIGNED-GOLF-BALL182_W0QQitemZ260518816693QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_2?hash=item3ca821abb5)

Brice
12-06-2009, 04:39 AM

In all fairness (I know he didn't), but I'm betting King COULDN't sign much more legibly than that with a marker on a golf ball.

lophophoras
12-06-2009, 07:05 AM
It's got one bid.

gsvec
12-06-2009, 07:05 AM
I've never even heard of SK being on a golf course. Anyone? Bueller?

Room 217 Caretaker
12-06-2009, 07:11 AM
I've never even heard of SK being on a golf course. Anyone? Bueller?

Maybe it's the golf ball from Autopsy Room Four?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

frik
12-06-2009, 07:56 AM

And me! :)

sk

johnsmith87
12-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Really? The 'S' is awful IMO and the 'g' doesn't look right either. Seems fake to me.

Patrick
12-06-2009, 10:47 AM
It states that the COA is from an organization that specializes in golfers' autographs. So assuming they are legit experts in their field, authors' signatures are still not their area of business.

Brice
12-06-2009, 10:53 AM
See to me there's the thing I don't think anyone's really an expert on autographs. Most are experts on a specific person's autogrph or maybe a few even, but once outside of their specialization they probably know little.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Really? The 'S' is awful IMO and the 'g' doesn't look right either. Seems fake to me.

compare to this pic: particularly the 'S' in the first one:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/Slide3.JPG

Sure the "S" is a little wide, but the rest looks pretty good. It is also very fluid. If it is a fake, someone practiced alot, to where they could write SK's name as well as their own. And then they want a piddly 66 bucks for it.

I am not saying it is genuine, nor would I buy it. I'm just saying that noone writes their name the same way every time, especially on this type of surface. I have seen some pretty horrendous fakes, and this is a good fake if it is one.

gsvec
12-06-2009, 06:53 PM
But the g is still just plain wrong - never seen him close the top of it that way, and the tail comes way too far back under Kin and doesn't close. The "feel" of the whole thing is off to me.

Rahfa
12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
For that hat, I don't like the 'G' and I don't like the 'S.'

If only it had a COA! Then I could bid with confidence!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-06-2009, 08:14 PM
yeah, just a COA would seal the deal.

Well, as I have said before, I am no SK sig expert. I have seen gretchen's collection and respect her opinion. I just know there is some variability between signatures, and I think this could be within that range. I am a pharmacist, and I write my signature hundreds of times per day. And rarely do two of them look exactly the same.

Patrick
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I agree that no one signs their name exactly the same every time, but there are still ways that you never make your letters. Same for me, same for Stephen King. I agree with the others, the "g" looks wrong for SK.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm sure you all are right. That's why I never buy anything. The only thing I would ever consider are S/L. And, my wife would have a bird if I spent that much money.

Patrick
12-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm sure you all are right. That's why I never buy anything. The only thing I would ever consider are S/L. And, my wife would have a bird if I spent that much money.
If you're ever interested in buying non-S/L King-signed items, that's exactly what this thread is for - to get others' opinions. Also TDT.com has many reputable members who may be a better resource than random eBay auctions. "Know the seller."

gsvec
12-06-2009, 11:22 PM

Oh, but it DOES, Rahfa, it does!! Bid away! :P

I am UACC Registered Dealer #RD190, in good standing. All autographs are authentic and come with a lifetime Certificate of Authenticity.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-06-2009, 11:41 PM
If I was from the other side of the pond, I would buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Autographed-Copy-of-Long-May-She-Wave_W0QQitemZ130350295991QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_No nfiction_Book?hash=item1e597babb7

Sam
12-07-2009, 12:04 AM
I'd like to know more about the event, like a date and time, so a better authentication could be made.

Calla_Wolf
12-07-2009, 02:25 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Autographed-Copy-of-Long-May-She-Wave_W0QQitemZ130350295991QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_No nfiction_Book?hash=item1e597babb7

I believe this is a fake.

Look at the enlarged "signature" page

The image in the middle of the page is clear. the area around the signature is pixelated. I think the sig is superimposed over the page. Photoshop job.

Calla_Wolf
12-07-2009, 02:27 AM

The image in the middle of the page is clear. the area around the signature is pixelated. I think the sig is superimposed over the page. Photoshop job.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-07-2009, 05:40 AM

I saw this auction last night. Immediately sent Muzak Heart and Soul Foundation an email asking for confirmation of such an item sold as a benefit for the cause.

Waiting on response. Not that the response guarantees real or fake or but just curious.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
12-07-2009, 07:45 AM

I saw this auction last night. Immediately sent Muzak Heart and Soul Foundation an email asking for confirmation of such an item sold as a benefit for the cause.

Waiting on response. Not that the response guarantees real or fake or but just curious.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

The signature seems real....I can't really see the pixelation...but that's a strange book for him to sign, or for someone to ask him to sign.

I'm not sure how a photoshopped signature would help the seller, since the buyer would eventually see what they got.

However, that book is a large 14x11, and that signature's ratio seems to fit - which means it's a very large signature for SK to sign....that's the oddest part about it.

Rahfa
12-07-2009, 07:54 AM

Oh, but it DOES, Rahfa, it does!! Bid away! :P

I am UACC Registered Dealer #RD190, in good standing. All autographs are authentic and come with a lifetime Certificate of Authenticity.

OMG! Didn't see that! I've got my snipe set at $0.99! Nobody better compete against me! It's mine!!!!

Patrick
12-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Regarding the back story: I don't understand why SK would sign this book rather than one of his own for a charity auction. I thought authors were (with few exceptions) loathe to sign books to which they made no contribution.

Calla_Wolf
12-07-2009, 10:42 AM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

The signature seems real....I can't really see the pixelation...but that's a strange book for him to sign, or for someone to ask him to sign.

I'm not sure how a photoshopped signature would help the seller, since the buyer would eventually see what they got.

However, that book is a large 14x11, and that signature's ratio seems to fit - which means it's a very large signature for SK to sign....that's the oddest part about it.

I didn't say the sig wasn't real...I said I thought it was superimposed.

Take a look at the image at double its size

http://www.firedemon1.force9.co.uk/Images/Image1.jpg

The pixelation is quite visible around the signature, as if it were a separate file saved with a different compression to the photo of the book.

I may be completely paranoid, but NO WAY would I bid on it without a lot more photos

jhanic
12-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I see what you mean. I agree, there's something not quite right there.

John

Calla_Wolf
12-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Regarding the back story: I don't understand why SK would sign this book rather than one of his own for a charity auction. I thought authors were (with few exceptions) loathe to sign books to which they made no contribution.

ABSOLUTELY

Here's a blow-up of the "signature" page

Patrick
12-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm leaning heavily toward moving the "Stephen King Autographed Copy of Long May She Wave" posts to the eBay BS thread as it has evolved into a discussion of sig validity, and a discussion has started there as well on the same auction. That ok with everyone?

EDIT: Done.

namelessnpoor
12-07-2009, 11:47 AM
here is a closer image of the signed blaze i am looking at to purchase depending on the opinions offered here. So far there has been some skepticism.
It was supposedly signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival and the seller said he had it signed in person.

Please let me know what you think !! Don't wish to waste my money

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1729/blazecr.jpg

divemaster
12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
It's not one of his prettier sigs, but I think it is legit.

Calla_Wolf
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
here is a closer image of the signed blaze i am looking at to purchase depending on the opinions offered here. So far there has been some skepticism.
It was supposedly signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival and the seller said he had it signed in person.

Gut instinct says it's good...but I'm not 100%.

shibus
12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Publicatiion date is June 12th, 2007. For whats it's worth.......

namelessnpoor
12-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Publicatiion date is June 12th, 2007. For whats it's worth.......

So Blaze was published June 2007, but he had it signed in 2005 ? I guess that is just about impossible isn't it ?

carlosdetweiller
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I am leaning towards legit. Not entirely sure, though.

gsvec
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
My gut's telling me it's not legit. Can't figure out why just yet, but let me stare at it longer. Something's just not right.

willie3
12-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Miss Gretchen, I agree with you.

I really do not like the way the 'hen' looks.
Looks to me to be written very slow and deliberate.

And that's not taking into account the signature was obtained on a book that hadn't been published yet...

Karl

Rahfa
12-07-2009, 06:12 PM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

The pixelation is quite visible around the signature, as if it were a separate file saved with a different compression to the photo of the book.

I may be completely paranoid, but NO WAY would I bid on it without a lot more photos

I know you said it was superimposed...did you not grasp that I said I couldn't see the pixelization?

Also, that signature would be HUGE in real life...maybe three inches across?

I don't get how the seller could pull this off...if it's photoshopped, how will the seller make that work when the book actually arrives?

It would be easy to fake that for an ebay listing - but how would the actual, physical book be faked? I can't figure it out...

Sam
12-07-2009, 06:53 PM

I would cry fake if he insists it was signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival since the book wasn't published until 2007. The signature looks good, but my gut says this is just a really good fake job. That's based on his statement about when the book was signed, nothing more. Your choice now is to either ask for a clarification (if the seller has said more than once it was signed in 2005, no clarification should be needed), purchase the book, or walk away.

I recommend at least lacing up your sneakers.

Rahfa
12-07-2009, 07:59 PM
It HAS to be fake if he claims it was signed in 2005...he got too cute for his own good, and spun a story with no research.

Plus, something looks wrong with it...looks maybe traced. Just a wee bit too careful.

gsvec
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
More crap. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Signed-Autographed-AUTHENTIC-Paper-COA_W0QQitemZ230407400298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item35a559eb6a)

And it looks like this guy's selling his practice cards. (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-HORROR-WRITER-LOT-2-INDEX-CARDS-SIGNED-315_W0QQitemZ310187323467QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_2?hash=item48389af04b)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-07-2009, 11:02 PM

But they come with COA's, they must be genuine. I mean...that would be dishonest.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Here's a nice one. (http://www.guaranteedautographs.com/kisttdatovof.html)

Patrick
12-07-2009, 11:09 PM
More crap. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Signed-Autographed-AUTHENTIC-Paper-COA_W0QQitemZ230407400298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item35a559eb6a)

And it looks like this guy's selling his practice cards. (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-HORROR-WRITER-LOT-2-INDEX-CARDS-SIGNED-315_W0QQitemZ310187323467QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_2?hash=item48389af04b)

My favorite part of the first one is the lifetime guarantee that apparently lasts only 7 days:

* Everything sold is 100% hand signed by the personality and is fully guaranteed for
the life of the autograph. I will stand behind each and every autograph that is listed for sale. *

Please buy with confidence.

:: RETURNS ::

You may return your item to us for any reason within 7 days of the receipt of your purchase. We will grant a full refund of the purchase price of your item. Return shipping is assumed by the buyer. Return shipping will be refunded in the event that an item is inaccurately described.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-07-2009, 11:18 PM
only $20,000 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Firestarter-ASBESTOS-Lettered-M-signed_W0QQitemZ160376665532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAnt iquarian_Collectible?hash=item255731b5bc)

Patrick
12-07-2009, 11:20 PM
only $20,000 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Firestarter-ASBESTOS-Lettered-M-signed_W0QQitemZ160376665532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAnt iquarian_Collectible?hash=item255731b5bc)
This has got to be a tough economy to try to sell an expensive collectible like the asbestos Firestarter. Good luck, Mike!

Sam
12-07-2009, 11:42 PM

I sent the guy a note telling him it was a fake. Here's the reply he sent back.

"Thank you for this message. This autograph was actually obtained in person by a close friend of mine in 2002. I have full documentation of the signing and a photo of my friend with Mr. King. It's a piece he hated to part with as it was inscribed to him. But it is absolutely authentically hand signed by him. Best, Mike."

Brice
12-08-2009, 03:50 AM

What I love about this second one is he's selling that shit for charity. :lol:

My favorite part of the first one is the lifetime guarantee that apparently lasts only 7 days:

* Everything sold is 100% hand signed by the personality and is fully guaranteed for
the life of the autograph. I will stand behind each and every autograph that is listed for sale. *

Please buy with confidence.

:: RETURNS ::

You may return your item to us for any reason within 7 days of the receipt of your purchase. We will grant a full refund of the purchase price of your item. Return shipping is assumed by the buyer. Return shipping will be refunded in the event that an item is inaccurately described.

After 7 days he kills you, thus it is legitimately a lifetime guarantee.

Now you know what to get me for Christmas. :D

"Thank you for this message. This autograph was actually obtained in person by a close friend of mine in 2002. I have full documentation of the signing and a photo of my friend with Mr. King. It's a piece he hated to part with as it was inscribed to him. But it is absolutely authentically hand signed by him. Best, Mike."

Stating the obvious, but he is a liar, his friend is a liar, or all of the above.

namelessnpoor
12-08-2009, 04:47 AM

I would cry fake if he insists it was signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival since the book wasn't published until 2007. The signature looks good, but my gut says this is just a really good fake job. That's based on his statement about when the book was signed, nothing more. Your choice now is to either ask for a clarification (if the seller has said more than once it was signed in 2005, no clarification should be needed), purchase the book, or walk away.

I did ask for clarificationand his reply was he told me the wrong info, he mixed the Blaze up with another book he was emailing info about. The other book had been signed in 2005, the Blaze now was signed in October 2008 in Cambridge, MA. As much as I want to get a signed blaze, i think i will just pass this one by, the when and where story of the sig was to much, i think hes lying. Plus getting info has been like pulling teeth.
Thanks for your help everyone

carlosdetweiller
12-08-2009, 04:55 AM
As much as I want to get a signed blaze, i think i will just pass this one by

I think that is a good decision. Legit or not there is some question about it. You would always have lingering doubts about it.

lophophoras
12-08-2009, 06:27 AM

I'm definitely not a expert but for some reason this sig looks good to me. It looks a little rushed though.

Rahfa
12-08-2009, 06:34 AM

I did ask for clarificationand his reply was he told me the wrong info, he mixed the Blaze up with another book he was emailing info about. The other book had been signed in 2005, the Blaze now was signed in October 2008 in Cambridge, MA. As much as I want to get a signed blaze, i think i will just pass this one by, the when and where story of the sig was to much, i think hes lying. Plus getting info has been like pulling teeth.

I was at that signing, and he didn't sign a single thing other than the American Short Stories book.

And...that signature looks nothing like the signature from that signing, which was a little more cramped.

Clearly a lie.

Randall Flagg
12-08-2009, 06:52 AM

I was at that signing, and he didn't sign a single thing other than the American Short Stories book.

And...that signature looks nothing like the signature from that signing, which was a little more cramped.

Clearly a lie.

I say pass based on the story.
King was actually at the 2005 event (http://gothamist.com/2005/08/17/new_yorker_festival_lineup.php), but was not scheduled at the 2007 Festival, (http://www.festival.newyorker.com/sat_event_list.cfm)
I don't have info on the Cambridge event, but Rhafa spoke about being there.

Sam
12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Jerome, I don't remember hearing anything about a Cambidge MA event last year. There was the South Hadley even in early November 2008, but was there an event the month before? I just don't remember hearing anything about that, not at all.

Either way, I think running away from that Blaze is a good idea.

Pasiuk57
12-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I know of one recently that just sold :RE Asbestos Firestarter....
Doubt mine will sell--kind of spendy

Calla_Wolf
12-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

I know you said it was superimposed...did you not grasp that I said I couldn't see the pixelization?

I don't get how the seller could pull this off...if it's photoshopped, how will the seller make that work when the book actually arrives?

It would be easy to fake that for an ebay listing - but how would the actual, physical book be faked? I can't figure it out...

Bait and switch I guess...

I've just noticed what he's charging for international shipping, should I choose to bid...$134.54 :wtf:

Calla_Wolf
12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
2 more certain fakes and a possible:

# 1 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Rose-Madder-First-Edition-Hand-Signed-Book_W0QQitemZ170417734111QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bo oks_Fiction_GL?hash=item27adb041df)

# 2 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-KING-ORIGINAL-HAND-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPH-FULL-COA_W0QQitemZ270497802630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3efaece986) <--- check out the COA bullspit on this one

# 3 Is this a "bad day" sig or the first Under The Dome fake?? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIGNED-STEPHEN-KING-UNDER-THE-DOME-SIGNED-1ST-EDITION_W0QQitemZ120503697979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Fiction_Books?hash=item1c0e94823b)

ChristineB
12-08-2009, 11:22 AM
# 3 Is this a "bad day" sig or the first Under The Dome fake?? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIGNED-STEPHEN-KING-UNDER-THE-DOME-SIGNED-1ST-EDITION_W0QQitemZ120503697979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Fiction_Books?hash=item1c0e94823b)

I think this looks authentic to me. The UTD sigs were very rushed at these signings.

Here is the one out of my UTD from Atlanta signing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/676/medium/SK_Sig.png

Calla_Wolf
12-08-2009, 11:30 AM

I think this looks authentic to me. The UTD sigs were very rushed at these signings.

Here is the one out of my UTD from Atlanta signing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/676/medium/SK_Sig.png
No hesitation in saying yours is 100% authentic. Now, compare them side by side. The one below may well be authentic, but it's scrappy enough to give me cause for thought. I certainly wouldn't pay money for it.
http://www.firedemon1.force9.co.uk/Images/Image2.jpg

Sam
12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Ceri, #3 looks a lot like one of the sigs that I got in person. I know it's real because I got it myself, but it still looks a little rough. #3 looks like it might be real to me. The lack of mention of any sort of provenance would make me shy away from the auction anyway though.

#2 = fake

#1- I thought the London event in 2007 was a signing for Lisey's Story and nothing more like most of his signings have been for the last few years. I cry bullshit.

Rahfa
12-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Jerome, I don't remember hearing anything about a Cambidge MA event last year. There was the South Hadley even in early November 2008, but was there an event the month before? I just don't remember hearing anything about that, not at all.

Either way, I think running away from that Blaze is a good idea.

Cambridge might not have been in 2008...maybe it was fall 2007 - another reason why this Blaze is clearly a fake.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
#1- I thought the London event in 2007 was a signing for Lisey's Story and nothing more.

King signed anything that was put in front of him during his many signing in London in 2006 (not 2007).

I got many items signed during that tour.

Calla_Wolf
12-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Bait and switch I guess...

I've just noticed what he's charging for international shipping, should I choose to bid...$134.54 :wtf:

After all of that, the seller just sent me new photos and various proofs (god knows why he didn't include it all in the auction). I'm pretty sure it's genuine now. Egg on face for me.

gsvec
12-08-2009, 04:02 PM
2 more certain fakes and a possible:

# 1 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Rose-Madder-First-Edition-Hand-Signed-Book_W0QQitemZ170417734111QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bo oks_Fiction_GL?hash=item27adb041df)

# 2 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-KING-ORIGINAL-HAND-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPH-FULL-COA_W0QQitemZ270497802630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3efaece986) <--- check out the COA bullspit on this one

I think #3 was a bad day sig. It may be ugly, but it's still better than the one in my UK UTD S/L!

Because his handwriting seems to be getting 'worse' as time goes by ('worse' being loosely defined as 'different'), I think it's going to get harder and harder to tell a real sig from a bad one.

Fsmdr
12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
What do you guys think about this?. It looks too 'curvy' for a legit signature to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIRE-STARTER-BY-STEPHEN-KING-FN-FN-FLAT-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ310187514527QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Fiction_Books?hash=item48389dda9f

carlosdetweiller
12-09-2009, 04:56 AM
What do you guys think about this?. It looks too 'curvy' for a legit signature to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIRE-STARTER-BY-STEPHEN-KING-FN-FN-FLAT-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ310187514527QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Fiction_Books?hash=item48389dda9f

I think it is OK. I've been to that guy's store in LA before. I think he is strictly above board but pricey on many items.

ChristineB
12-09-2009, 09:43 AM

I asked about both these items. The first one said they bought it from someone else and "will look into it".:rolleyes:

The second the guy says: "Thanks for the heads up, but I think you are mistaken. A science fiction writer named Kyle Lientz who knows Stephen King stayed at his house in July 2007." He goes on to offer to have the guy call me if I wish. I said I did, we will see what happens.

Rahfa
12-09-2009, 04:45 PM

I asked about both these items. The first one said they bought it from someone else and "will look into it".:rolleyes:

The second the guy says: "Thanks for the heads up, but I think you are mistaken. A science fiction writer named Kyle Lientz who knows Stephen King stayed at his house in July 2007." He goes on to offer to have the guy call me if I wish. I said I did, we will see what happens.

I believe him!

I'm mean, it's obviously not the author Stephen King, but it's A Stephen King, so it's legit...haha...

Seriously, though...total fakery.

Rahfa
12-09-2009, 04:46 PM

That one looks good...not sure of the era exactly, but that's a SK style from maybe around the Wastelands, or something.

Sam
12-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Rahfa, the write up puts the sig at 1991, so that would be around the Waste Lands time period.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-10-2009, 12:16 AM
What do you guys think of this? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-DOLORES-CLAIBORNE-Signed-Limited-Edition_W0QQitemZ190355208903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Books_Fiction_GL?hash=item2c520dfac7)

Calla_Wolf
12-10-2009, 12:37 AM
What do you guys think of this? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-DOLORES-CLAIBORNE-Signed-Limited-Edition_W0QQitemZ190355208903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Books_Fiction_GL?hash=item2c520dfac7)

It's in a bit of a state...presumably the sticker has been removed from the slipcase to hide the fact that the signature is a facsimile (I can't read the auction description in work so I don't know if the seller is trying to pass it off as the real thing)

carlosdetweiller
12-10-2009, 02:49 AM

As Ceri said, the sticker has been removed from the slipcase and left a mark. Most (all?) copies I have seen have had the sticker in place and I think that is the proper thing to do. With a little searching you should be able to find a copy with the sticker in place for the same price or maybe cheaper. I'd pass on this one.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-10-2009, 02:52 AM
So the sig is a facsimile. I didnt catch that, as I didnt read further down. The thing that caught my eye about the signature was that the "g" is closed in. There was some discussion about the "g" in an early discussion about the Red Sox Hat. I was thinking if this sig was known to be genuine, that it looked an awful lot like the one on the hat.

I agree that this book is in bad condition. I was really only interested in hearing what people thought of the sig.

Thanks

Brice
12-10-2009, 04:30 AM
The sig is an authentic facscimile. :unsure: :lol:

lophophoras
12-10-2009, 05:37 AM
What do you guys think of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Signed-1st-Edition-Dreamcatcher-8-F-F_W0QQitemZ110468289938QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiquar ian_Collectible?hash=item19b86c5592

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Signed-1st-Edition-From-a-Buick-8-F-F_W0QQitemZ110468286844QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiquar ian_Collectible?hash=item19b86c497c

carlosdetweiller
12-10-2009, 06:10 AM
I think they are both OK. The seller has proven to be reliable in the past. I think I have dealt with him before but can't recall any specifics. He's been around for awhile.

lophophoras
12-10-2009, 06:19 AM
I think they are both OK. The seller has proven to be reliable in the past. I think I have dealt with him before but can't recall any specifics. He's been around for awhile.

Thanks Bob!

That is good to know.

I purchased a Girl Who Loved TG from them a couple of years ago. I felt confident it was a good signature but I'm no expert.

Calla_Wolf
12-10-2009, 07:49 AM
What do you guys think of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Signed-1st-Edition-Dreamcatcher-8-F-F_W0QQitemZ110468289938QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiquar ian_Collectible?hash=item19b86c5592

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Signed-1st-Edition-From-a-Buick-8-F-F_W0QQitemZ110468286844QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiquar ian_Collectible?hash=item19b86c497c

Both a-ok (as is the seller IMO)...though they're touching, if not passing the top end of the price scale.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-13-2009, 04:41 AM
I think the seller is being very deceitful with this auction. He/She even answered a question by a potential customer claiming the signatures are actual signed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Talisman-by-Stephen-King-Signed-Copy-1985-RARE_W0QQitemZ110466787793QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item19b85569d1

My copy has those pre-printed signatures. Anyone else have the same thing? Seller won't remove the auction and Ebay won't do anything. They want the auction end money. Humbug

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
12-13-2009, 04:53 AM
I have a few copies of the same book with the facsimile sigs printed on the inner cover. I reported the asshole. If he'd not answered that question the way he did I probably wouldn't have, but I think he's not just mistaken. I think he's outright lying.

lophophoras
12-13-2009, 05:36 AM
I have a few copies of the same book with the facsimile sigs printed on the inner cover. I reported the asshole. If he'd not answered that question the way he did I probably wouldn't have, but I think he's not just mistaken. I think he's outright lying.

I reported him too.

Brice
12-13-2009, 05:41 AM
:thumbsup:

Room 217 Caretaker
12-13-2009, 05:42 AM
VICTORY

The Ebayer removed his/her auction. Good job everyone.

Kudos to the seller for being smart (or admitting he/she has been busted)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
12-13-2009, 05:47 AM
:clap:

gsvec
12-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Doesn't look like the auction was pulled since it has an ending bid of $42.51. And there are Q&As posted about the sigs being facsimile as well. :orely:

Room 217 Caretaker
12-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Doesn't look like the auction was pulled since it has an ending bid of $42.51. And there are Q&As posted about the sigs being facsimile as well. :orely:

The seller canceled the auction. Ebay didn't pull it. Even though it shows a bid price, the buyer isn't obligated.

The seller responded with a very nice message thanking me for helping. What bothers me about this, I sent a message when the auction started letting him/her know it's facsimile and not signed in person.

I still think we won this one.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Room 217 Caretaker
12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Anyone looking for a signed Stephen Kaig :wtf:

Put on your hip waders, Ebay BS is starting to rise again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOGRAPHED-FIRST-EDITION-STEPHEN-KINGS-DREAMCATCHER_W0QQitemZ130352265334QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZAntiquarian_Collectible?hash=item1e5999b876

When I reported it to Ebay I selected Prohibited Category this time. Why did I select Prohibited category? The fake signature is offensive.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

johnsmith87
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
:lol:

lophophoras
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Yuck. Reported!

:rolleyes:

Sam
12-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Who the hell is Shphen Kaig? Reported on top of y'all's reports. I'ma hafta scrub my eyeballs now.:cry:

Patrick
12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Anyone looking for a signed Stephen Kaig :wtf:

Put on your hip waders, Ebay BS is starting to rise again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOGRAPHED-FIRST-EDITION-STEPHEN-KINGS-DREAMCATCHER_W0QQitemZ130352265334QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZAntiquarian_Collectible?hash=item1e5999b876

When I reported it to Ebay I selected Prohibited Category this time. Why did I select Prohibited category? The fake signature is offensive.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

ChristineB
12-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Wow one of the worst ones yet.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will try to get away with.

Calla_Wolf
12-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Wow one of the worst ones yet.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will try to get away with.

Sadly, history shows that it's not a case of trying to get away with it.
It's a case of getting away with it - period

Sam
12-16-2009, 03:30 PM
I KNOW at least three people have reported the auction and it's still up. Either ebay has gotten tired of enforcing their policies or someone is asleep at the switch.

ChristineB
12-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I asked where this was signed to the seller and he sent back this in reply:
"...it was signed in a bookstore in New England, or Massachusetts. I can call him when he gets back from his business trip, tomorrow, to be sure. He travels quite a bit, and actually saw the sign about the book signing when he drove by, and thought it would be cool just to go in and see him..." He also mentions his brother has a COA for it too, like that matters.

So...

Room 217 Caretaker
12-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I asked where this was signed to the seller and he sent back this in reply:
"...it was signed in a bookstore in New England, or Massachusetts. I can call him when he gets back from his business trip, tomorrow, to be sure. He travels quite a bit, and actually saw the sign about the book signing when he drove by, and thought it would be cool just to go in and see him..." He also mentions his brother has a COA for it too, like that matters.

So...

OK.....that story cranks up the BS meter to 10.

I believe in Santa but I don't believe in any COA

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Do I have this right?

He was driving past a bookstore, saw a sign advertising an SK signing, and on a whim he pulled over and sauntered on in?

And although he witnessed the book signing in person, he still went out and obtained a COA?

:beat:

turtlex
12-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Do I have this right?

He was driving past a bookstore, saw a sign advertising an SK signing, and on a whim he pulled over and sauntered on in?

And although he witnessed the book signing in person, he still went out and obtained a COA?

:beat:

Yeah... I can't imagine there would be a line of people waiting or anything.