PDA

View Full Version : How Has the Series Affected Your Life?

Erin
11-08-2007, 06:56 PM
For many people, including myself, the series has had a significant impact on their lives. The Dark Tower is means more to me than just being a good book series.

Several years ago when I first read the series, I had just ended a 3 year long verbally and emotionally abusive relationship. I was down and depressed, doing badly in school and just had pretty much just gone off track with my life. As I progressed in the series and read more, I began to draw strength from the characters in the ka-tet. Roland's determination, Susannah's confidence, and Eddie's humor helped motivate me to get my life back on track.

Also right around the time I first started reading the series, I decided to research it online. I found a couple messageboards and joined them. I had never even heard of a messageboard before, but I quickly became immersed with reading and posting about the series. Joining these messageboards (and now joining thedarktower.org!) helped me come out of my shell and helped my suffering social skills. I also met many wonderful people (and still continue to!) that are still very near and dear to my heart.

So you can see how the books have had such a profound effect on my life. :D

What about you guys? How has the series affected your life? Has it at all?

OchrisO
11-08-2007, 06:59 PM
I noticed a few days ago that my old phone still says "Ka like a wind" when it boots up, which I still think pretty well sums up my last relationship. :P

Wuducynn
11-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Great topic Erin. For me its effected my life strongly because I've been with the series since I was 14 and the journey and cosmic mysteries wrapped up in it has left a permanent and very deep mark on my soul.

Daghain
11-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm in on the 30 year journey, too. :D

I became a fan of King through his other works, but there is just something about The Dark Tower that speaks to me. And, because of it, I ended up here, doing something I love. (Now, if I could just get paid in real money..:lol:)

Wuducynn
11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
And, because of it, I ended up here, doing something I love. (Now, if I could just get paid in real money..:lol:)

Stalking me?

Daghain
11-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, that would be more of a bonus, actually. :lol:

Letti
11-08-2007, 11:21 PM
How has the series affected my little life?

Just look around... it gave my friends and mates and showed me the gate to an amazing world. From that lonely kid who spent her whole day without eating in her silent room just reading reading and reading to... to here. It was a long walk.
I could write for hours how it affected my life. I might give it a try later.

Amazing thread, Erin.

Rjeso
11-09-2007, 05:37 AM
DT was an awesome story that completely took over my mind while I was going along with Roland for the first time. I had only read three of the books when I first joined dt.net, and I met a bunch of awesome people who were very welcoming, easy to talk to, and a blast to palaver with. However, the biggest impact would be the one I least expected, which was finding Jimmy. So yeah, this series has had a huuuuuge effect on life as I know it. Viva DT!

fernandito
11-09-2007, 05:44 AM
I wear cowboy boots to work.

Rjeso
11-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Don't lie, you always did that.

Storyslinger
11-09-2007, 06:53 AM
I think the series really helped open up my mind to endless possibilities and also was a big stepping stone on my way to starting writing. Knig just finds a way to touch the hidden place inside us all.

Matt
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
The series has had a major impact on my life. We'll put this site aside for the moment but its a big part.

King somehow helped me figure out some amazing things about myself and about the nature of reality around me. It seems like he may be some kind of teacher because the things he has taught me through his characters has been staggering.

There there is this place and you guys. I am not sure I have ever felt more fulfilled by what could be considered a "hobby". Its so much more than that. Through the course of this place, I am saved from my natural hermetness and actually interact with people outside my small bubble of reality. I like it a lot. :grouphug:

fernandito
11-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I like the later part of your post Matt.

<3

gunslinger19
11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
The biggest effect it has had on my life is simply that The Gunslinger was the first Stephen King book I read, almost twenty years ago now. From that point on King was my favorite author and I have eagerly awaited each and every book. Other than that the biggest affect has been that I think about the series all the time. Sometimes when I am concentrating on something else something from The Dark Tower will seep into my mind and I find myself chasing these thoughts for most of the rest of the day

Rolands_Father
12-02-2007, 07:13 AM
The Dark Tower has a very special place in my heart. What I found is that the Dark Tower series has stuck with me long after I finished the last book. Longer than any other book or series I ever read. Most other books gradulaly fade over time, but not the Dark Tower. Enyone else feel this way?

LadyHitchhiker
12-03-2007, 07:54 AM
The Dark Tower is timeless. I hope someday it's famous enough kids have to read it in school.... *le sigh&

Jean
12-03-2007, 08:09 AM
I have no doubt.

Letti
12-03-2007, 08:17 AM
The Dark Tower is timeless. I hope someday it's famous enough kids have to read it in school.... *le sigh&

You speak from my heart. Thank you.

susie
12-03-2007, 11:01 PM
the books are very bleak but... humanistic? hm, i don't think that's the word i'm looking for... i mean: all the allusions to other writers and singers in this work, it really proves the importance of art -- that when you make something, it doesn't just exist in a void by itself, it connects you to your audience, and it is like a seed in a field of roses, creating new inspiration and new life. all these references came together in one man's mind, but that mind created and peopled a full world.
and stephen king brilliantly inserted himself in the story, it was such an amazing statement on the power of human imagination.
so when i finished the series i just had a wonderful feeling despite the sad events in the plot.

Kevin
12-03-2007, 11:03 PM
the books are very bleak but... humanistic? hm, i don't think that's the word i'm looking for... i mean: all the allusions to other writers and singers in this work, it really proves the importance of art -- that when you make something, it doesn't just exist in a void by itself, it connects you to your audience, and it is like a seed in a field of roses, creating new inspiration and new life. all these references came together in one man's mind, but that mind created and peopled a full world.
and stephen king brilliantly inserted himself in the story, it was such an amazing statement on the power of human imagination.
so when i finished the series i just had a wonderful feeling despite the sad events in the plot.

Oh wow. :wub:

You are most welcome to the site Susie, that was brilliantly put.

Darkthoughts
12-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Seconded - excellent post, I dug that :cool:

LadyHitchhiker
12-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Want to know how the series has affected my life the most? I have made so many more friends than I ever had before. I have met smart intelligent funny whimsical people I couldn't see my life without. I have grown as a person because of the series.

Erin
02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Bumpity bump.

This is a topic i'm quite interested in. We have a lot of newer members signing up and i'm interested in hearing some of their stories.

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Me too! This is a great thread!

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 08:48 AM
This is a difficult question Erin, thanks for the great thread. :thumbsup:

I, like so many others, grew up with Roland. I read The Gunslinger right around age 13 and when I was able to read DT2 (13 again), I was wholly hooked and I thought about the series a lot. I waited anxiously over the years for another chapter to come out and like many others, felt like the wait was forever. By the time the last three books came out, I was an adult and the books hit me even more. I had, up to that point, never cried while reading a book before. The tet were my friends and it was hard to read those last books.

I've been doing the message board thing for a year now and has caused me to have the books on my mind almost everyday. I talk about it a lot (which makes my wife think I'm only a little weird) and I know I will read the series at least once a year (or more) for the rest of my life, I imagine.

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah my husband thinks I'm weird... he might not even understand if he read it. But I am one of the few.. the chosen.. the junkies...

sarah
02-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Yes, I think a reread of at least three or more of the books a year will always be apart of my reading life. Last year, I mostly listened to books 1-4. This year I've read 5 and 6 and am currently on book 7. I think about Roland and his Ka and his ka-tet often. I feel like they are just apart of who I am.

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Yes, I think a reread of at least three or more of the books a year will always be apart of my reading life. Last year, I mostly listened to books 1-4. This year I've read 5 and 6 and am currently on book 7. I think about Roland and his Ka and his ka-tet often. I feel like they are just apart of who I am.

Are you married?

sarah
02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
yes

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
You're getting a divorce and want to move to New Hampshire, though. Right?

Storyslinger
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
You're getting a divorce and want to move to New Hampshire, though. Right?

Back off, she's moving to Wisconsin.

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Boy, Story, you just killed yourself with those words. I'm sorry.

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry dudes, I called dibs on maerlyn. She's purdy. :wub:

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Anyway, what Maerlyn said, is exactly how I feel.

Storyslinger
02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Ah well, I lived a good life.

*bows head*

Make it quick.

But, yes, I agree with said statement of maerlyn.

sarah
02-13-2008, 09:09 AM
alright boys....anyways :rolleyes:

quit making me :blush:

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Yes, I agreed with what maerlyn said in her post, it is what I mean too.

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Its the mantra for all true Tower Junkies.

devo133
02-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't think there has ever been a series of books that spans 20 years. That's what makes the Dark Tower so special. I'm sure each book marks different chapters in SK's life. It sure has marked different chapters in mine. I pick one up every few years and read one all day when I get a chance. I sort of remember what was going on in my life when I think about a book in the series. Sort of like listening to a song you use to love a long time ago and remembering what you were doing back then.

Wuducynn
02-21-2008, 06:14 AM
I sort of remember what was going on in my life when I think about a book in the series. Sort of like listening to a song you use to love a long time ago and remembering what you were doing back then.

I've never really thought of it like that. That was really, really well put.

ATG
02-21-2008, 07:13 AM
I have never felt so profoundly hurt by a book before as when Jake died.

Girlystevedave
02-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm sure I've already posted in here, but I remembered something earlier: I have a newfound appreciation for turtles and roses since reading the series.

Recker
02-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Only that it's stuck in my mind long after reading it. I read the series in the space of about a year. That was about two years ago. Only now have I signed up on this website.

Girlystevedave
02-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't think there has ever been a series of books that spans 20 years. That's what makes the Dark Tower so special. I'm sure each book marks different chapters in SK's life. It sure has marked different chapters in mine. I pick one up every few years and read one all day when I get a chance. I sort of remember what was going on in my life when I think about a book in the series. Sort of like listening to a song you use to love a long time ago and remembering what you were doing back then.

I totally get that. I remember getting in the habit of taking my dog for a walk while I was reading the series. To this day, I still think of the story as I'm walking. Maybe I'll find a door on one of my walks.:cowboy:

MonteGss
02-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I have never felt so profoundly hurt by a book before as when Jake died.

This post is a spoiler and should be tagged, correct?

Wuducynn
02-29-2008, 01:25 PM

FUCK YOU

MonteGss
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
:rofl:
Hey...don't make me keep you in line too. ;)
This isn't a spoiler thread, fuckwad. :lol:

Wuducynn
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh you were right, I just wanted to tell you to fuck off.

MonteGss
02-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Thank you.

One special way that the series has affected my life is that it has allowed me to meet such special people online....like CK for instance. I never knew there were such absolute evil fuckheads in cyberspace. :D

Wuducynn
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
absolute evil fuckheads in cyberspace. :D

Hey!! I'm not evil!

ManOfWesternesse
02-29-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't think there has ever been a series of books that spans 20 years. .....

Well, there's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - 30 years and still counting..... but that included a looooooonnnng break in the middle.
But yes, in general terms you are right - very few authors would attempt this kind of saga.

Girlystevedave
02-29-2008, 02:10 PM

FUCK YOU

Anger I sense in you

LadyHitchhiker
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I feel like quoting the church lady right about now...

sarah
03-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I sort of remember what was going on in my life when I think about a book in the series. Sort of like listening to a song you use to love a long time ago and remembering what you were doing back then.

I've never really thought of it like that. That was really, really well put.

agreed. very well put. It is so true for me as well. I remember where I was and what was going on in my Real Life when I was reading about Roland's. It all sort of comes back to me during the rereads as well.

Erin
03-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Oh yea, totally. I was on a cruise reading The Wastelands for the first time when the tsunami happened. I'll never forget that.

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I would never have met Linda without the series..

Unfound One
03-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I get bitched at a lot more by my friends who refuse to read the books and hate that sometimes I'd rather read on a Friday night than go out :lol: :rolleyes:

Letti
03-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I get bitched at a lot more by my friends who refuse to read the books and hate that sometimes I'd rather read on a Friday night than go out :lol: :rolleyes:

They should respect you for that.
I do.

Unfound One
03-22-2008, 01:44 AM

I do.

Sigh. Oh Letti, I wish they would.
Well, that's why I'm here :)
And glad to be.

Letti
03-22-2008, 01:44 AM

I do.

Sigh. Oh Letti, I wish they would.
Well, that's why I'm here :)
And glad to be.

:couple:

Jack Lee
03-29-2008, 11:40 AM
This series helped make me a better person. The way that Roland was raised and taught to "stand true" seemed to take me away from that hoodlum path that I might have otherwise travelled. I think about the Dark Tower series everyday. It gives me inspiration.

Letti
03-29-2008, 11:58 AM
This series helped make me a better person. The way that Roland was raised and taught to "stand true" seemed to take me away from that hoodlum path that I might have otherwise travelled. I think about the Dark Tower series everyday. It gives me inspiration.

Welcome home, my friend.

Jack Lee
03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Thankee sai Letti

sarah
07-02-2008, 10:42 PM
So tonight I was out to dinner with some friends and I was asked to explain myself about the dark tower. :lol: I mean come on how could I not laugh at that. You know you really can't explain the power of Roland and his Ka-Tet to those who haven't experienced it. It is sort of like explaining what it is like being a parent to someone who doesn't have kids. They can listen and try to understand but they never will until they have their own kids or in this case, read The Dark Tower themselves. People just can't grasp the power and draw of Roland until they sit down and experience it themselves.

/rant.

Matt
07-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Exactly, its kind of like trying to explain faith.

Lee
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
So tonight I was out to dinner with some friends and I was asked to explain myself about the dark tower. :lol: I mean come on how could I not laugh at that. You know you really can't explain the power of Roland and his Ka-Tet to those who haven't experienced it. It is sort of like explaining what it is like being a parent to someone who doesn't have kids. They can listen and try to understand but they never will until they have their own kids or in this case, read The Dark Tower themselves. People just can't grasp the power and draw of Roland until they sit down and experience it themselves.

/rant.
SO true. I tried explaining it to a girl at work and I think I ended up sounding sorta crazy. :panic: How do you explain something that has such a hold on you that you cant even put it into words? They didnt get it. And I dont think they will. Unless they read..

fernandito
07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Sarah - how did the convo on the DT start? :)

sarah
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
It started by them teasing me about running off to Vegas to meet my "internet friends". :lol:

fernandito
07-03-2008, 03:39 PM
You know they were just hating because they don't have internet friends! :rolleyes:

sarah
07-03-2008, 03:51 PM
you got that straight.

:P

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-01-2008, 01:42 PM
this series has effected me in so many ways. The biggest is how much i RELATE. it explains my beliefs (reincarnation, karma, ka) to the tee, and how much i relate to every character. i just moved cities and am having a hard time finding friends and whatever, but every day i hang out with my favorite ka-tet. i'm on the last book, which is depressing, but i'll probly start it again. Its also another way me and my brother bond, seeing how no one else we know have read the series, and those who have are not as deeply obssessed as i am. It gives me something to share with other DT junkies, and outsiders are just that: outside. many other ways as well, but thats the readers digest version.

Tony_A
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM
My first read-through didn't affect me much since it took a number of years to get through, but the read-read I am currently (I'm near the end of the final volume) has affected me in ways I never expected. I found myself tearing up, especially from WotC on. I find myself continually going back to the sadder parts of the books and find myself wistfully smiling. I'm constantly talking about it to my fiance. Thankfully, she's very understanding, even though she is a DT outsider.

Míchéal
08-01-2008, 06:00 PM
DT took up a large amount of my life but every second was SO worth it and I could read these books forever and ever and still feel the same...my girlfriend nags me about 'obsessing'(psshhhttt) about DT but lately i've been slowly working her through King's other novels and it's going good so soon enough we'll have another DT fanatic yay!!!!

LadyHitchhiker
08-02-2008, 06:24 PM
The series has inspired me in so many ways

Letti
08-02-2008, 10:28 PM

I am all ears. :rose:

Wuducynn
08-02-2008, 11:06 PM

I am all ears. :rose:

And I am all eyes.

Old Man Splitfoot
08-03-2008, 02:15 AM
Well, there's the fact that if I ever have a son, I'm going to try my damndest to get the mother to allow me to name him Roland Edward Williams. I'd settle for Edward Roland, but wouldn't be as happy with it.

The Dark Tower has affected me to the core. I firmly believe I am who I am because of Roland, and his quest for the Tower. I mean, it's not the only thing to affect my personality, but it's granted me certain outlooks on life that I might not have otherwise held.

Wuducynn
08-03-2008, 06:36 AM
The Dark Tower series has made me regular once again.

LadyHitchhiker
08-03-2008, 08:17 AM
The dark tower and the people I have met here have inspired me to draw again. I have not done cartoons since I was in junior high. I used to always draw cats, and I would put them into star trek scenarios. Now I am putting them as catslingers and even more animal slingers and am coming up with ideas to maybe even put together comic strips...

The dark tower has inspired me to write a story involving vampires and zombies, and although it's far from being finished I think someday it will end up being a great story.

The dark tower's people that I have met have inspired me because I see even more good and diversity in the world than I was ever prepared for. When you live in a small town, sometimes you think that's how the whole world is; that there is nothing much else out there. And when you lived in the ghetto in Mississippi for two years, that doesn't help even when you have moved back to that small U.P. town. I escaped into the world and found darkness, and very little light. Through my people here I have found light, and hope, and friendship.

Everytime I go through a door I haven't been through I wonder if I will end up in another world. Isn't that inspiring, to think the possibilities of a door not just being a door and to see the world as hardly anyone else has ever seen?

I'm sure there are many other ways but these are the few off the top of my head.

Letti
08-03-2008, 08:29 AM
You rock, Liz.

TLC
08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
this series grabbed my heart in so many ways. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me angry and I felt as if I knew all of them personally. when i finished reading the series, I felt lost! weird??
anyways, I find myself talking like Roland haha!
AND....I wanna Billy Bumbler!

Letti
08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
this series grabbed my heart in so many ways. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me angry and I felt as if I knew all of them personally. when i finished reading the series, I felt lost! weird??
anyways, I find myself talking like Roland haha!
AND....I wanna Billy Bumbler!

And what do you two talk about? If you don't mind me asking.
Great to have you here, lady. :rose:

TLC
08-12-2008, 08:58 AM
thanks Letti!!!!

i think you misunderstood, I talk like Roland , not to Roland.
Like I call people Sai and tell them to have long days and pleasant nights etc.
haha.
but i wish I could talk to Roland!

Matt
08-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I really wish I could talk to Roland. :lol:

I mean...without being crazy.

Its great to have you here TLC, I hope we are well met along the path of the beam.

As for myself, the series inspired me to create a fan site and I'm really glad I did. :grouphug:

Letti
08-12-2008, 11:48 AM
thanks Letti!!!!

i think you misunderstood, I talk like Roland , not to Roland.
Like I call people Sai and tell them to have long days and pleasant nights etc.
haha.
but i wish I could talk to Roland!

Oh, sorry. :doh: Cry your pardon, sai. I might have read it that way because that's what I wanted to read. *smiles*
Anyway I feel the same way I wish I could talk to Roland but I would be afraid that he would think me weak and useless... I would be afraid of his judgement.

Jean
08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
useless?

God have mercy on anyone Roland would consider useful...

Letti
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
useless?

I understand what you mean but still... I would die inside a little if Roland thought me weak and useless. Not for him but for the world.

Matt
08-12-2008, 01:22 PM
useless?

Amen my brother, amen.

The last thing in the world I would want is to fall under the eye of Roland.

But I wouldn't mind hearing old stories over a campfire and a hand rolled smoke. Some of Walters tobacco would be best. :fairy:

TLC
08-12-2008, 07:39 PM
yes i'd love to hear old stories from Roland!!!
And, maybe "try" and teach him some jokes....not that he'd get them but hey, if Eddie could try , I'd like to take a stab at it too.:)

LadyHitchhiker
08-17-2008, 07:17 AM
I would love to hear jokes from Roland too...

stone, rose, unfound door
08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
useless?

Roland finding someone useful surely means that person definitely is, though.

The Lady of Shadows
08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
useless?

Roland finding someone useful surely means that person definitely is, though.

yeah, but for how long? and to what ends? and what happens to them when he's used them up or needs to go on about his merry beam finding way? (ex. jake in the gunslinger)

ladykatherine
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
It's quite possible I could stand alone on this, but does anyone else feel like they use the Dark Tower series to distract themselves from things they probably should be doing? In my journalism class I found myself re-writing favorite quotes from the books instead of practicing my leads. Oops! But it was so much more fun, and I hate writing leads for two hours. And last night I was overjoyed to find out I didn't have an online british literature assignment, so I read instead! It was pretty much amazing. Does anyone else have a tendency of doing that??

:cowboy: Katie

alinda
10-02-2008, 10:31 AM
All of us I believe dear. :) Welcome , we are well met. :)

jayson
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM
You are definitely not alone Katie. The DT books are like old friends. Perhaps you could accommodate your obsession with the books into your academic work. For example, practice writing leads about events in the DT series. I'm only half-joking. :)

theBeamisHome
10-02-2008, 03:13 PM
my obsession and distraction is actually this site :scared:
i'm ensnared!! :panic:

gsvec
10-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Yep - the combination of this site and the books is extremely deadly! :evil:

TLC
10-02-2008, 04:36 PM
yup...agree with all!!!! Major obsession!:)

The Lady of Shadows
10-03-2008, 03:20 PM
on the site when i should be sleeping? who me?
on the site when i should be cleaning? who me?
reading the books when i should be sleeping? who me?
reading the books when i should be cleaning? who me

okay, on the site and/or reading the books and/or finding connections in other books and/or reading connector books, etc. when i should be doing anything else?

who me?

:wtf:

razz
10-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry, is there anything else? :D

Geomon
10-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I spent many endless nights reading the books when they first came out and during some pretty rough times in my life, they managed to put a smile on my face and still do. :)

HorseDrover'sDaughter
10-13-2008, 04:59 AM
Oh constantly, LadyKatherine! I have been known to sit in class and daydream about the Dark Tower rather than take notes. And I found this site sitting in my booooring lecture class this semester by googling Dark Tower just to see what I'd get. Obsessed? Moi? Nah. :nope:

JQ The Gunslinger
10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
I find myself at this very moment tryin to memorize Sheemies dream

"Why must you hurt me when i love you so."

ha i got about half of it down

ladykatherine
10-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Haha nice you guys.
I know exactly what you mean HDDaughter! I found this place in an attempt to find a good site with interesting subjects on the Dark Tower. I remember how excited my friend and I got when we found others who shared our interest in the Dark Tower. Im still trying to find someone at school who's interested so I don't get weird looks, haha! It's like no one here reads, which is strange....hmmm

:cowboy: Katie

ladykatherine
10-14-2008, 10:06 AM
This question is just...amazing.
I found something frightening and comforting in the series. It's going to sound strange, but I think it helped me get over the panic I get once in a while when I realize I don't know what's going to happen in my life. And I won't lie, I've always had this strange fear of dying. It's sort of horrible actually, considering it's one of the few things you can't escape in life. But, I think I realized that not even Roland knew exactly what would happen in his complex world, and yet he still continued on. That gave me something to ponder over. And to see a world full of such intrigue and possibilities, that nothing is ever abolute. It's good not to feel so alone, and like I'm the only one that doesn't have any idea what I'm getting into.

I think the way I found the Dark Tower was a little strange, too. It was during a bad time with our family, and we were at my uncle's in Indiana. I was busy being a worried and nosey girl in the guest bedroom (his office) and was looking through papers and things. My uncle had started falling downhill back into his alcohol and depression. My dad was going back there too. And in such a time, I couldn't even lean on my boyfriend of three years who had decided a few days prior that he was in love with my best friend. Soo yeah. Not the best setup. Come to think of it, I didn't even admit to myself how depressed I was over the summer until it had passed....

But, sitting in my uncle's office, I just glanced at the bookshelf stuffed with books before getting up to leave. When I came back, I found the first Dark Tower on the floor, bent funny from falling. I know it was probably because it was on the edge of a shelf...but I like to think it was meant for me. Like I was suppose to find it and take in whatever it had to offer. And I am.

I remember getting yelled at for still being up at 6:30am when my mom went to the bathroom and saw the lights still on...oops!

Thanks for reading. I know that was terribly long.
:rose:Katie

Matt
10-14-2008, 11:20 AM
But, sitting in my uncle's office, I just glanced at the bookshelf stuffed with books before getting up to leave. When I came back, I found the first Dark Tower (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1281) on the floor, bent funny from falling. I know it was probably because it was on the edge of a shelf...but I like to think it was meant for me. Like I was suppose to find it and take in whatever it had to offer. And I am

That is an amazing story LadyK--I think that book was there just for you.

I really felt a connection reading how you felt about the story, I'm kind of the same way and knowing that others felt that way is very cool.

Letti
10-14-2008, 11:34 AM
LadyK, it was so good to read your words. And the way the Dark Tower found its way to you.. is truely amazing.

ladykatherine
10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Thank you Matt and Letti!!
I suppose I should feel a little less crazy, hehehe.
It's good to know someone actually knows where I'm coming from. My friend laughed and said i thought to much....so i had to throw a towel at her. But in a loving way, of course.

:)Katie

MonteGss
10-14-2008, 10:28 PM
ladyk,
I'm glad you found love for The Dark Tower in your life. It is a story that will be with you forever. Welcome to the site. I look forward to reading your future posts in Mid-World forums. :D

sasquatch012
10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
it was weird....when i decided i was gonna do the series i had a feeling that i was going on an actual journey.....and roland's obsession became mine...every spare moment i had was used reading the books....inching closer to the tower....all signs of good writing if you ask me....unfortunately i think being so driven to get to the tower caused me to skim over the last three books *books 1-4 i had already read so i feel between my first and second readings i feel like i had a good understanding of those books*

Brice
11-02-2008, 04:38 AM
That's a good excuse for a reread. :D

tjglos
11-04-2008, 11:33 AM
i still havent finished the last book, i started reading gunslinger in june of this year and now im about halfway through the dark tower. i have always had a book on the go for as long as i can remember but the dark tower series is the only one which has made me look at things in a different way. and i know this sounds stupid but i know everyone has thought it at least once. so here goes.... after reading the last two books you kind of hope the events might just have really happened. and as the world is currently fubar and as i see jesus and allah in the same vein as batman, the easter bunny and cher. (all make belive characters. yes cher cannot be real) its nice to think that there might something going on that we dont know about and a bit magical. yeah i said it so what!!! you all thought it as well lol

Letti
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
i still havent finished the last book, i started reading gunslinger in june of this year and now im about halfway through the dark tower. i have always had a book on the go for as long as i can remember but the dark tower series is the only one which has made me look at things in a different way. and i know this sounds stupid but i know everyone has thought it at least once. so here goes.... after reading the last two books you kind of hope the events might just have really happened. and as the world is currently fubar and as i see jesus and allah in the same vein as batman, the easter bunny and cher. (all make belive characters. yes cher cannot be real) its nice to think that there might something going on that we dont know about and a bit magical. yeah i said it so what!!! you all thought it as well lol

Still it's good to share. :couple:

Chap
11-11-2008, 12:21 AM
it hasn't changed my life in a great way (yet), but it has opened my eyes to the authorship of Stephen King and thus widened my horizon alot.
I now have around 15 King books, and so far have loved every one of them.

oh, and I think it sort of influences me to try being more social. I'm a "lone wolf" at heart, but reading about the ka-tet(s), I for the first time feel like I am missing out on something :blush:

Matt
11-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by tjglos http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/wow/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=279391#post279391)

I really did, King has always made me feel that way.

Kind of like our reality is thin in places. :thumbsup:

I totally get it.

Welcome to the site.

That's really cool what you said about Katet's Chap

what
11-11-2008, 08:42 AM
After finishing the set, I felt like I had really accomplished something. It gave me a hunger to read. Before I started The Gunslinger I had probably read 4 books for pleasure (and whatever was assigned reading for school). Since finishing The Dark Tower, I have been constantly reading. I never understood how my mom was always able to sit with her nose in book at all times of the day, and now wish I didn't have to work so that I can spend every hour reading.... I guess its come from my OCD tendencies, but I couldn't think of a better OCD to have!

tjglos
11-12-2008, 03:39 AM
finished the dark tower last night and immediatly began re-reading the gunslinger. after about 2 chapters i was totally engrossed again. i have a different perspective reading it this time as i tend to notice different things i.e when they mention the taheen trying to find blue haven and sheb the piano player and as a bonus i now get to read hearts in atlantis, it, insomnia etc and try and find dt references (bit sad but who cares) and i also have now a seen a lorry with "discordia" written down the side twice very creepy lol

Diggity Of The Eld
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm really happy to read about all the positivity on this forum, stemming from the series.

You know people have used words like "bleak" to describe the Dark Tower, and I don't think it's bleak at all. Roland's situation if he chose to accept it is far from bleak. He is the bleak one. It looks like though, on the iteration of his journey that we all joined him on that he did improve on some level. He has the horn, which as we all know is a sign of hope.

Roland's problem as I see it, and maybe the problem of some of the fans (not any of you fine people) is that he is so hell-bent on finding the Tower that he doesn't realize that the Tower is with him always. The Tower figuratively represents happiness to him and literally is Gan. It's God.

Roland is so bold as to feel he can on some level usurp God, usurp the universe itself. Even if his quest is noble in it's nature, it's wrong.

He didn't need to go to Gan for Gan to be in his life. All he had to do was just STOP. Just stop. Mr. Holmes asked him to stop, everyone asked him to stop. He had all these oppurtunites. He could have stayed on Keystone Earth, and just retired a very happy man. Roland's problem is what Cort and everyone is said from the beginning.... he just cannot stop.

The song of the Tower is everywhere. That beautiful song is everywhere if he'd just take the time to sniff and smell the :rose::rose::rose:....

That brings me to this thread. Life. This is something I just discovered recently in my own life prior to reading The Dark Tower. We all have the opportunity to make each and every day a great day. Sometimes it feels hard, but it is not. It's a matter of deciding "Today is MY day".

If you were at a particularly dark place in your life prior to reading The Dark Tower, and that message of hope rang through to you and helped you reach out and make a new friend, kudos to you. I'm happy to hear it.

Life is beautiful, and take the time to enjoy it while you can because unlike Roland we do not all go on forever.

If there's a girl you like, buy her some roses.
If there's an apology you haven't made, make it.

Whatever it is that's just left unfinished... go out and do it and you'll be surprised at the doors life opens when you decide to simply be happy and enjoy each day.

:shoot:

boo-yaaaaaa

/post

:D

BoogerSnax
11-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Having read the first 1 1/2 books in the early 90's and not liking them that much, I decided to delve into them again this past summer, and am now half way through book 7.
I have devoured them these past few months, and part of what has driven me on are the bad reviews of the later books! Ha!
You can see the changes in the man as the books progress. Changes in life philosiphies and changes in the realm of a man and his responsibilities, as it seems he partly feels the series to be for him.
A man's responsibilities are all things to him. Fufilling, driving, tiring, enraging, and ultimately, always there. You can see this in the story progression, and the author notes in some of the later reprints of the earlier works.
From the fear of having your fantasy end, to a dying woman wondering if she will get to see the end of the saga before she goes on to the great clearing. Fear of closure to a fantasy world, to letting down the people who are counting on you, these are two great defining aspects to a grown man's life, and you can only see this progression <at least in my case>, from having traveled that type of road yourself.
The reading of this series has come at a point in my life where almost every plot turn, or book completion, can almost be seen as a metaphore for the events in one's own life.
For me, it was simply time to read this series.

Ruthful
11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Wonderful stories.

It's great to know that this series has had such a powerful impact upon its readers. I just found out the other day that not only have several friends on a message board I belong to begun reading TDT, but they've started an entire thread devoted to it in the book discussion forum.

Lord_Vertigo
11-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Stephen Lawhead's "Song of Albion" books opened my eyes to the idea of a parallel world. Philosophy, theology, and science began convincing me it was possible. Stephen King's "Dark Tower" still has me seeing the signs of it everywhere: 19, roses, keys, black skyscrapers on Tower Road, etc. I give more "reality credibility" to Dark Tower than the Da Vinci Code.

Fitz
12-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Ive just finished the final book last night, and to say the books have taken a hold of me these last few months is an understatement. I have told everyone within vocal range about the Dark Tower stories and Roland. Family and friends will be so relieved ive finished. But thats were the books have affected me. Now that ive finished Im not going to be able to move on and forget like i do with other books. Im now searching out all information I can and all opinions that i can on TDT. Ive just ordered Hearts in Atlantis, Rose Madder, Insomnia and The Talisman just to read them and gather the references just because they will add to my new DT addiction. My admiration for these books is unparalled and I know for fact I will take these books with me now, reading them again at various stages. If i have a kid when Im old enough (21's way to young haha) I will proudly give them the Dark Tower series to read. It may be sad but I really loved these books and the characters and I always will. :cowboy:

Letti
12-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Ive just finished the final book last night, and to say the books have taken a hold of me these last few months is an understatement. I have told everyone within vocal range about the Dark Tower stories and Roland. Family and friends will be so relieved ive finished. But thats were the books have affected me. Now that ive finished Im not going to be able to move on and forget like i do with other books. Im now searching out all information I can and all opinions that i can on TDT. Ive just ordered Hearts in Atlantis, Rose Madder, Insomnia and The Talisman just to read them and gather the references just because they will add to my new DT addiction. My admiration for these books is unparalled and I know for fact I will take these books with me now, reading them again at various stages. If i have a kid when Im old enough (21's way to young haha) I will proudly give them the Dark Tower series to read. It may be sad but I really loved these books and the characters and I always will. :cowboy:

Great to have you here. It would be good to see many posts from you.
And when you feel you are a DT junkie... don't forget that's just the beginning. :)

Fitz
12-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Great to have you here. It would be good to see many posts from you.
And when you feel you are a DT junkie... don't forget that's just the beginning. :)

Thanks. Ive really enjoyed looking round this place so far. Definitely be trying hard to visit often and post often to.

Haha I guess it is...

lead dealer
12-08-2008, 03:15 AM
How has Si Kings "lord of the rings" affected my life....

Wow,
It all started when my at the time girlfreind, handed me the gunslinger on my way out the door to shift with the Sheriffs office. Started reading it that night, was hooked! I read the entire sereis back to back...
I married that women, on December 19, 2007..........

On the cake was a single rose with "our journey begins 12, 19, 2007"

The reception, due to finantial restraints was held in april of 2008, can you geuss what day? Yes, dear constant reader, the 19th!

On the big wedding cake was, again a single rose and the "found" symbol on the cake.

When I had finished reading the sereis, I just had to get one, Rolands gun. The closest I could find to it at least. The gunslinger creed, slightly modified is tought to my students before departing to qualify on the range. Those wonderfull words do seem to help.
I have since than read, with a few exceptions of tec. manuals and trade publications, read nothing but Si Kings works. Love them! It is a shame I wated so long in my life to start reading them!

"go my freinds, there are other worlds than these"

Letti
12-13-2008, 09:20 AM
How has Si Kings "lord of the rings" affected my life....

Wow,
It all started when my at the time girlfreind, handed me the gunslinger on my way out the door to shift with the Sheriffs office. Started reading it that night, was hooked! I read the entire sereis back to back...
I married that women, on December 19, 2007..........

On the cake was a single rose with "our journey begins 12, 19, 2007"

The reception, due to finantial restraints was held in april of 2008, can you geuss what day? Yes, dear constant reader, the 19th!

On the big wedding cake was, again a single rose and the "found" symbol on the cake.

When I had finished reading the sereis, I just had to get one, Rolands gun. The closest I could find to it at least. The gunslinger creed, slightly modified is tought to my students before departing to qualify on the range. Those wonderfull words do seem to help.
I have since than read, with a few exceptions of tec. manuals and trade publications, read nothing but Si Kings works. Love them! It is a shame I wated so long in my life to start reading them!

"go my freinds, there are other worlds than these"

What a heart-warming story.
You should send some pictures of that gun, anyway.

lead dealer
12-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Need better pictures of the colt 1917 in the avatar....Will send up asap...

"I kill with my heart"

Yaksha
12-13-2008, 11:40 PM
well i was 15 never had read much steohen king other than the stand dreamcatcher and hearts in atlantis. my girlfriend at the time was a tower junkie and made me read the gunslinger. First sentence i was hooked. I started reading them feverishly devouring all the tower books i could find. then i had to wait years for the new ones to come out. i paitently waited till book VII came out then finished the last three in one sitting. my dad and family thought i had gone insane.

the dark tower has affected my life in many ways. not the least i say thankee-sai alot which most people dont get. also i have met many amazing people who loved it as much as i do and i am glad that i got to experience such a profund and amazing epic in my life. And what started it all for me?
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed"

bartonthegreat
12-14-2008, 01:21 AM
ive been reading King since i was in junior high but never wanted to commit to the DT. Once i did i was completly sucked in to Rolands world. I find myself talking like Cuthbert and roland in the wizard and the glass. and people look at me funny:) thats how its effected my life.

Letti
12-21-2008, 11:20 AM
ive been reading King since i was in junior high but never wanted to commit to the DT. Once i did i was completly sucked in to Rolands world. I find myself talking like Cuthbert and roland in the wizard and the glass. and people look at me funny:) thats how its effected my life.

Nice to meet you. :)
People should have asked what you were reading.

HellBeast
01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
I had only read The Stand, Carrie, Misery and It before I went for the Dark Tower. I'll always remember the day I discovered DT. I was in town with my Mum, and Wolves of the Calla had just been released. It was just before Christmas. Of course, there was a big display and stuff in Waterstone's, naturally it caught my attention. I went over and read the passage on the inner sleeve and was hooked. So for Christmas I asked for all five books, which Santa thankfully gave me :clap: and then I was in lol.

In terms of affecting my life, I'm sure I wont be the only one who saw 19 EVERYWHERE. It was freaky stuff. I kept saying "thankee-sai" and "may it do ya" and other Tower-isms :P man did I get some funny looks. I just turned 19 in December there, and as a present a few of my flatmates bought me a Rangers football shirt with my surname and 19 on the back. Its my new favourite top :P. I explained the significance of 19 to one of them and they said "well you're 19 for most of this year... might mean it will be your year" so here's hoping :excited: lol.

flaggwalkstheline
01-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Heres an insane bit of anecdotes about when I first finished the series
The Night I finished the dark tower was the night I had just moved into a new trailer in the mountains and two very strange things happened
I had no electricity yet so I was reading by the light of a large purple candle, after it started melting you can guess what it looked like!!!!
and the other thing was that when I finished I went outside for a walk at night to clear my head and make sense of what I had just finished reading (it was summer)
so I was walking down the road (bout a mile from my new place) and I started hearing coyotes howling loudly, I started walking faster, they howled louder, I started running, they started really crooning, I ran back to the house but when I got to the door the intoxicating mix of new mexican night air, coyotes, physical exertion and the dark tower got to me
I freaked when I saw the VERY FAMILIAR wooden door at the front of the trailer, blacked out, next thing I knew I was inside the house and the big purple candle which looked so much like the tower was re-lit at the top

pretty weird I know
My imagination is sometimes a bit much for me to handle and in rare instance takes over totally as it did above
I did a similar thing with salems lot, wen sleepwalking to vampire proof my abode:panic:

CaptainTrips
01-19-2009, 01:30 AM
I think The Dark Tower books inspired me to write more than other books I've read except for maybe The Stand. I've always aspired to write my own apocalyptic novel after reading those books.

Matt of Gilead
02-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Reading this has made me want to go out and buy a revolver. Seriously, I didn't like revolvers before I read this. I liked 9mm like a normal person. Now, I would only buy a revolver if I was going to buy a gun.

It's kind of silly...

lead dealer
02-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Nothing silly at all.

After closeing the "dark tower",I spent mounths pleauging Gunbroker and many other firearms auction sights to find a good Colt new service (closest thing to Rolands gun I could find) and even longer searching for sandalwood grips.......

In a professional opinion, Get a good hard caliber, something that begins with a "4". 9mm's are good for punching paper, little else.:shoot:

"I kill with my heart"

Rcampebll
02-09-2009, 01:34 PM
it has affected my life like nothing else its like i was lost in that world and nothing could bother me. I got two revolvers (my idea of Rolands guns) tattooed on my back and plan on getting the tower between them. In my opinion having something put on your body that lasts for ever is the greatest form of flattery

boomstick75
02-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I was twelve when I first started reading The Gunslinger. My parents were pretty liberal when it came to my interests and I had read most of the King library that was available to me at that point. I lived twenty miles outside of the nearest town that had a bookstore (I lived in a very rural part of Illinois) so it was sometimes a pain nagging my parents to make the trek. Most often I would have our local library order the books from within their system, sometimes waiting months for them to arrive. The Gunslinger took almost the entire summer to reach me that year. I read it the first week that I received and waited IMPATIENTLY for the second book. The Drawing of the Three was published and I received it X-Mas of that same year. I remember X-Mas’s fondly in our old house. My parents were still together then and I would always get a new pair of sneakers and a book (two constants every year) every Christmas morning. After my sister and I had unwrapped our gifts that year, I laced up my new sneakers and opened The Drawing of the Three. This might be one of the single most powerful memories of that old house and how much those little things meant to me before I would learn to start thinking like a man and less like a little boy.

I am almost 34 now. I still collect comic books, have a near encyclopedic knowledge of horror movies and even host my own radio show on the paranormal. Basically, I resisted adulthood with all I could muster. My wife would say I have succeeded to a great degree. She, like most great enablers bought me the last three books in the series as gifts, and although I was eager to re-enter Roland’s world, it wasn’t until December that I opened my own door and stepped through. I finished reading book seven a week and a half ago. I have been unable to shake the effects of the Tower, and am not sure if want to.

That being said, it was a beautiful thing to see this particular thread; seeing people share their affinity/obsession for these books, because that admission is instant community and it’s a great place to be. I think these books will continue to affect me as much as my memories of home and that particular X-mas do.

I know that this is long winded, but I have to take a second and comment on a past reply in this thread. Someone wrote of the profound sadness that they felt when reading the last book in the series. I was raised around animals my entire life and I remember what it was to be a child and not just have a pet or “companion” in an animal, but to have a best friend there; a sacred bond that I feel few people can truly have as they get older. I guess I’m just saying that I know what you felt and that “I ache” too.

AlishaRiley
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
I was twelve when I first started reading The Gunslinger. My parents were pretty liberal when it came to my interests and I had read most of the King library that was available to me at that point. I lived twenty miles outside of the nearest town that had a bookstore (I lived in a very rural part of Illinois) so it was sometimes a pain nagging my parents to make the trek. Most often I would have our local library order the books from within their system, sometimes waiting months for them to arrive. The Gunslinger took almost the entire summer to reach me that year. I read it the first week that I received and waited IMPATIENTLY for the second book. The Drawing of the Three was published and I received it X-Mas of that same year. I remember X-Mas’s fondly in our old house. My parents were still together then and I would always get a new pair of sneakers and a book (two constants every year) every Christmas morning. After my sister and I had unwrapped our gifts that year, I laced up my new sneakers and opened The Drawing of the Three. This might be one of the single most powerful memories of that old house and how much those little things meant to me before I would learn to start thinking like a man and less like a little boy.

I am almost 34 now. I still collect comic books, have a near encyclopedic knowledge of horror movies and even host my own radio show on the paranormal. Basically, I resisted adulthood with all I could muster. My wife would say I have succeeded to a great degree. She, like most great enablers bought me the last three books in the series as gifts, and although I was eager to re-enter Roland’s world, it wasn’t until December that I opened my own door and stepped through. I finished reading book seven a week and a half ago. I have been unable to shake the effects of the Tower, and am not sure if want to.

That being said, it was a beautiful thing to see this particular thread; seeing people share their affinity/obsession for these books, because that admission is instant community and it’s a great place to be. I think these books will continue to affect me as much as my memories of home and that particular X-mas do.

I know that this is long winded, but I have to take a second and comment on a past reply in this thread. Someone wrote of the profound sadness that they felt when reading the last book in the series. I was raised around animals my entire life and I remember what it was to be a child and not just have a pet or “companion” in an animal, but to have a best friend there; a sacred bond that I feel few people can truly have as they get older. I guess I’m just saying that I know what you felt and that “I ache” too.

Hear hear.
You just hit the nail on the head.

sleeplessdwarf
02-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Like a few others I have seen post, I have been hesitant to start the DT series. I have read King since I was 13 and by the time I was out of school and married I had managed to build a nice collection. At that time the only series I had read was LoTR so I decided to take the leap and start reading The Gunslinger. Long story short, that marriage failed as most do when they start in the teen years. The ex kept all my King books and I was so crushed I quit reading altogether. (crushed by the loss of the books not the ex :)) I am now 5 years with my new wife and fairly stable so about to give this thing a second shot. I look forward to sharing this journey with those of you here that have already made the way.

Nightfall
02-21-2009, 09:26 AM
I used to be extremely depressed, and extremely shy, but as Erin said.. the ka-tet actually helped me not be such a depressing (Marked with a spoiler because I've noticed people dont usually like this word in particular out of every swear word)cunt.

Whenever I feel depressed or sick or pretty much any other negative emotion... I actually here Roland say "Stand and be true." or something else inside of my head.. and I actually start feeling better, like really.. its like Roland is astin or something like that, and I'm pretty sure those words, among more of his words, will stay with me for life

Nedmonds
03-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Iv never read a S.K book before the dark tower series and even that was an accident. On an oil rig in Denmark i took 2 books from the library The gunslinger and something else. I was intending on reading the other book but as i took them back to my room i noticed the one i wanted to read was in danish. So the gunslinger it was, thats the first way it changed my life. Over the next year i read 1 - 7 mostly when i was offshore. The one thing that changed about me was my OCD of looking at doors lol. Constantly looking at doors. The thing that hit me the most about the DT series is something that applys to me and thats why i lov them so much. People can change and altho roland is not quite there yet. He will eventually redeem him self, im sure of it :). Ill never forget the DT series ever and when my son is old enough i will giving him my series :). I watched the mist a while back and who did i see right at the start in a painting with roses and doors, Roland!. I then spent about an hour explaining it all to my GF. Like the monsters in the mist (thinny) etc etc.

The drak tower is not about the ending or the final climax. But the journey roland takes getting there :). Hopefully my journey to where ever im going has been made that little bit easier.

Matt
03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Great post Nedmonds, welcome to the site. :rock:

Letti
03-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Hopefully my journey to where ever im going has been made that little bit easier.

Let's hope. :) Good to have you here. Welcome to the site. :rose:

Gris
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
My 10 month old son's name is Jacob Roland

Brice
03-25-2009, 03:22 AM
The series made me realize that everyone in town was under a glammer by a dark man so I gunned them all down and started searching for a tower.

turtlex
03-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Want to know something funny... because I share a love of DT with my girlfriend, the series has given us a whole new avenue of vocabulary.

"I almost went Dixie Pig on them"
"Um, that place was full of Slow Muties"

Brice
03-25-2009, 03:28 AM
That's pretty damn awesome. :)

Letti
03-25-2009, 09:51 AM
The series made me realize that everyone in town was under a glammer by a dark man so I gunned them all down and started searching for a tower.
What a perfect solution.

"Um, that place was full of Slow Muties"
I love this one sooo much. :D

Lily-sai
04-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm a new one here, so excuse me while I'm still getting used to this forum - I'll learn fast, hope so. =)

I met my soulmate a few months ago, and he suggested me to read the DT books. I've been a big fan of King-sai since I was 12 or something (and spooking myself with IT and such), but somehow I'd never read Gunslinger before (read a few of the first chapters once, but then closed the book. now I think it just wasn't the right time). He laughed, called me an infidel and so I began to read them.

You know how rare it is to read something truly enchanting, so that while you're reading, you already are feeling this bittersweet sadness, for you know this is the first time, which will never come back. You of course can reread all the books again, but the first time is the time you will later remember with fondness and melancholy (in a good way). I've encountered only a small amount of books that have made me feel that way, Lord of the Rings being one of them.

I was completely sucked into the Mid-World and began to understand there indeed was other worlds than my beloved Middle-Earth. I will forever be thankful for him who told me to get know Roland of Gilead. I've praised DT to everyone, but after my sister telling me she's going to have a migraine if I mention Oy once more, I realised it'd be better if I came here, to be with my kind. ;)

How has DT affected my life? I'm not sure if I can explain that, but it's like I've got a whole new world inside me, making me feel stronger and understanding this one, where we live in, a bit better. I know a human being wrote the books, a human being like me, but yet there's great magic in them. I can only wish I could one day write something magical of my own. Till that day, I will happily dwell in those worlds.

So here I am. Long days and pleasant nights.

Chap
04-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Beautifully written, Lily-sai :clap:
I hope you stay active on the site, so you get to know the big family we have here :)

Letti
04-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Lily-sai, really really good to have you here. :rose:
Long days and pleasant nights.

Rambo, John J
08-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Very beautifully written Lily-sai. I think the post sums up a lot of us on here.

As for me, I still can't quite beleive I never found darktower.com/.net til just recently as i've been a constant reader since The Waste Lands was published.

has the series had a profound impact on my life? The anwer can only be yes. I wanted to give a witty 'yes and no' answer, but of course the answer is yes. Has to be yes.

The most pervading, drawn out, interconnected, fantastical story that I have come across, and the tbst thing is, i still don't know just how big an impact it had, and i'll never be able to analyse just how big an impact it DID have until i'm on my deathbed reviewing my life!

Lily-sai
09-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Thank you. :)

And warmly welcome here, this place is like an enchanted piece of All-World where we can go whenever we feel this longing to strike us.

birdandbear
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
if the series was not existed, this site wont be here. and to me, the dark tower is something like the lord of the rings or harry potter, you know...

MPatrick
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I've already posted my long-winded story on how I got hooked, but this series definitely impacted me more then any other story I have read.

I'm always reminded of it, Turtles and Bears and 19, oh my!

I have only read the last 3 once, and just finished W&G a couple of weeks ago. I'm reading a few other things at the moment, but will definitely get back and read Wolves soon.

I think I need to wait until I read DTVII again though. Has to be after the baseball season. As I finished DTVII, the Red Sox came back from down 3-0 and broke my heart...

I almost swore that I would never read it again. Almost...:innocent:

Russ
06-18-2011, 08:57 PM
I may sound like a weirdo, but the last month I've been going through some tough times. My family has been ripped apart. I lost my grandmother and then my parents separated and are going thru a nasty divorce, and even at 24 that still hurts. And even though I got a great fiance and friends to lean on, I have started to re-read The Dark Tower. Seems like just getting lost in Mid-World for hours makes me forget about everything. Just reading 50 or 60 pages a night can make me forget any worries or anxiety I have.

And an edit : I really with the new book was coming out now. But just the news made me excited as hell.

candy
06-19-2011, 02:40 AM
hey russ, :couple:

Although not been through exactly what is going on in your life, I have had to deal with some really crappy things. And I agree that sometimes Mid world is like an escape (its a shame we have to stop reading sometimes) when I get into a really good book the real world ceases to exist around me (much to the annoyance of those close to me)

I really hope things get better for you, I am sending some good thoughts your way and if you ever need a chat, we are here for you

LadyHitchhiker
06-19-2011, 11:14 AM
I agree. When the world sucks, I come here, and talk to my tower junky friends and get lost in his world, and it makes it better for a while. It makes the world seem a lot less big and less scary.

The Road Virus
06-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Books are def one of (probably thee) best man-made coping mechanisms. DT is such a gripping tale (and since it is some of my favorite books by my favorite author) I would totally agree and say yes to what you are asking with this thread.

Ps, I hope things get better for you very soon.

pixiedark76
06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Whenever I am having a rough day at home with my kids, I just escape to mid-world and The Dark Tower Series. When I read these books, I feel like I am more than just a boring housewife. I actually pretend I am another gunslinger with Roland. When I read these books I feel like I am on a great adventure without ever having to leave my house.

Merlin1958
06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
My best wishes to you, Russ. Remember "This too shall pass"!!

And Pixiedark? You are no boring housewife, you are the dark and mysterious "Pixiedark76"!!!! Never forget that, you enigma!!!

:thumbsup:

LadyHitchhiker
06-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I like to sometimes pretend that I'm a gunslinger and that I can fix problems with guns... even in the nude... and that I have a talking furry friend, and people who would die for me, and even if they don't always understand me, they love me anyways, and will go to the ends of all worlds for me.

pixiedark76
06-20-2011, 02:34 PM
My best wishes to you, Russ. Remember "This too shall pass"!!

And Pixiedark? You are no boring housewife, you are the dark and mysterious "Pixiedark76"!!!! Never forget that, you enigma!!!

:thumbsup:

Awww thanks that is so sweet! :huglove:

Merlin1958
06-20-2011, 07:29 PM
You got it, darlin'

Russ
06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the support guys. It's been rough but seems that it's finally getting easier. Just basically trying to surround myself with positivity lately, and of course re-reading the series and now the comics. Thing is, the guy my mom is seeing looks like Eldred to a T lol. The temptation to call him Sai Jonas is sooo tempting, but I know he won't get it.

Geomon
07-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I made it out of my late teens the same way, ignored what was going on around me and stuck to the books.

Letti
09-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Books cannot replace human-love BUT still they can be really really good friends. They can give you home and support. And dreams.

Lady Santos
02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone, I'm a short-term lurker, first time poster. I realize this is an older thread but the subject was just so profound for me I wanted to write a reply to it :)

My BF first introduced me to The Gunslinger in 2009.

Last year, I finished the series. I hoped to draw it out a long time, because I always feel so sad when I finish a great series...like these characters have moved on, for lack of a better phrase, to go do their own thing. I skipped school for a day to read the entire 7th book....up at dawn and to bed at dawn the next day. I cried the whole way through, because THIS WAS IT.

I can't begin to describe the ways that this series has changed my life. The best example is when I started a new job a few months ago as a student nurse/hab tech/caregiver to a beautiful and fiesty pre-teen with a serious developmental disease ( can't talk, can't walk without help, can't use her hands, etc) and my first day I was in tears because I felt so inept. I was actually wishing I had never left my minimum wage gym job, where I was constantly upset, because her needs were just so over my head. Instead of running away, I went back the next day. I kept thinking about Roland, and saying "When he went through THAT, well, nothing could be harder than that, so I can do this small thing," or even getting kind of embarrassed because to Roland I would be useless with that kind of attitude. I stayed there, and I hope that every day that I work with this girl, who is a tower of strength and love in herself, that she sees that I believe she is a gunslinger as well, even if she can't use her hands, because after all,-"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind."

harrison ryan
02-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Well said. Welcome.

Lady Santos
02-19-2012, 07:14 PM
thankee-sai harrison! :)

alkanto
02-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before...

It's pretty simple, how this series has changed my life. Not only has is lead to introducing me to many other fantastics books, films, and bands, but I have also met so many people on this fantastic boards.....including my absolute best friend and boyfriend :wub:

Lady Santos
02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
The DT has a way of bringing people together :)

Jean
02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I can't begin to describe the ways that this series has changed my life. The best example is when I started a new job a few months ago as a student nurse/hab tech/caregiver to a beautiful and fiesty pre-teen with a serious developmental disease ( can't talk, can't walk without help, can't use her hands, etc) and my first day I was in tears because I felt so inept. I was actually wishing I had never left my minimum wage gym job, where I was constantly upset, because her needs were just so over my head. Instead of running away, I went back the next day. I kept thinking about Roland, and saying "When he went through THAT, well, nothing could be harder than that, so I can do this small thing," or even getting kind of embarrassed because to Roland I would be useless with that kind of attitude. I stayed there, and I hope that every day that I work with this girl, who is a tower of strength and love in herself, that she sees that I believe she is a gunslinger as well, even if she can't use her hands, because after all,-"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind."http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara01.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara01.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara01.gif

Lady Santos
03-19-2012, 06:29 PM
aw, just now saw this. Thankee sai, Jean. The DK has a way of making us strong and pushing ourselves, which is the numbero uno reason I love these books so much!

DoctorDodge
04-25-2012, 02:29 AM
How has it affected my life? Well, for one thing, it really got me keen to read more of King's work, although overall I'm still more of a Tower junkie. Also, it gave me and dad a book series to talk about, which was cool. In bigger ways, though, it lead me to a wonderful community with some amazing members, and it also lead me to meeting the most amazing and wonderful woman I've ever met, of which I'm not thankful enough. In fact, I've just seen that she's posted some thoughts in here, as well.

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before...

It's pretty simple, how this series has changed my life. Not only has is lead to introducing me to many other fantastics books, films, and bands, but I have also met so many people on this fantastic boards.....including my absolute best friend and boyfriend :wub:

God, I love this woman. :wub:

Brice
04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Too sweet!

BabyBlue
08-19-2012, 02:39 PM
When I was 12 I left a home which was no home at all. From that point on I was raised by my grandparents and Roland of Gilead. The DT series means to me almost as much as I would imagine the bible means to other people. Whenever I am lost and lonley, haunted and hurting I reread some old dog eared SK book and find my way back onto the path. Ok this reads crazy... I feel like I should be handing out pamphlets on a street corner and shouting GAN LOVES YOU! :excited:

Letti
08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
When I was 12 I left a home which was no home at all. From that point on I was raised by my grandparents and Roland of Gilead. The DT series means to me almost as much as I would imagine the bible means to other people. Whenever I am lost and lonley, haunted and hurting I reread some old dog eared SK book and find my way back onto the path. Ok this reads crazy... I feel like I should be handing out pamphlets on a street corner and shouting GAN LOVES YOU! :excited:

*big DT junkie hugs* And who could you share your DT fandom with? You should have joined this site much much earlier to meet people who feel the same way you do. :)

thegunslinger41
08-21-2012, 06:51 AM
GAN loves us all!!! The dark tower series...where to start.... The beam draws us to it in different ways. For me it was bordom and a desperate need for something new. Growing up sans television I burned ants for entertainment. Nothing like seeing the "commala" under 15x magnification!

BabyBlue
08-21-2012, 09:29 AM
*Junkie hugs back* Its true Lettie, I'm so glad I found this site!

unclelouie
09-21-2012, 09:03 AM
The Dark Tower has affected my life greatly thus far (Im just finishing up Wolves...).

I am in my 30s, and I remember being in Jr High when "IT" first came on television (the mini series). I can tell you SO many people my age who will tell you that "IT" was their introduction to the world of Stephen King (albeit... I had seen Children of the Corn as a kid, but at the time had no idea it was a SK movie). So after the movie came on tv, I convinced my grandmother.. yes, my dear grandmother to buy me the novel version of "IT".. told her it was about clowns. She bought it.

I was then hooked for life, but not until this year did I pick up the Dark Tower...

but why?

Dunno... but I can tell you, it came along at the perfect time. I would not have appreciated the Tower series as much as a teen or 20 something, but it came along at the perfect time..

Life right now has slowed down a bit. Most of my friends are married with families. I spend most of my time working. Im at the age where the world seems so small, and life seems so mundane. The world seems to lack wonder. Get up. Go to work. Come home. Do it all again the next day..

It's been a couple years since I withdrew from the dating pool. I figure if god wills it, there will be water.... I find the "dating scene" a waste of time, and wasnt having much fun with it. So I spend most of my time alone.. and Im ok with that, but like I said.. life was becoming so mundane.

On a whim, I picked up the Gunslinger one day... it has since opened up a world to me full of wonder, excitement, human drama, and just about every other emotion you can muster up. It gives mundane terms like "existence", "time", "space", and "world" very deep meaning.... its even changed how I view my own mundane world. I often think of the world we live in as just a speck in something greater.. and far less mundane out there..

Yaksha
12-11-2012, 04:26 PM
You know, I just got my brother-in-law into The Dark Tower. He had never really read a book before but he was told The Dark Tower was a really great story. So, I lent him my copies. I don't know how he is enjoying his first journey to the Tower, but I can't help but remember mine. I really was obsessed with finishing the books. I stayed up for days when I got the last two books. (Yes I waited for VII to come out before I read VI. Longest hardest waiting I have ever done.) My diet consisted of coffee, mountain dew, and junk food. But, at the end, I was satisfied and relieved. I got to experience an amazing epic, and it still remains my favorite series of all time. I catch myself using phrases from the story all the time. I am genuinely glad I also found a place with amazing people who love the series as much as I do. This place has become one of the reasons I always try to have internet wherever I go.

pathoftheturtle
12-11-2012, 04:34 PM
That's cool, Yaksha. Nice to hear! TDT will always have a special place in our hearts.

BlackViper
07-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Well, how to start. In my 14, I read only King's books, so it was matter of time when I find DT. At first, I readed fourth book, realized this is part of bigger saga and I had to read it all. I borrowed and readed one book after another so quickly, but I was lucky, because all books were already translated to my language at this time. I remember I managed to read last book in one shot. It was amazing, after some refreshment and a few day of break, I started to read saga again. Because at that times my parents began to divorce and my first great love betrayed me, DT saga was something like secret hideout to my mind, a brand new world, full of terrors, dangers, but full of heroes too. I cannot imagine what man I would be if I had not read the saga. For times of puberty and teenage years, idea of my Dark Tower somewhere out there, waiting for me and justyfying everything what went wrong in my life, this idea was only thing I look up to, it was only reason to survive. It did well. Now I'm reading mostly scifi and fantasy books, but after I read this thread, I need to dust off my DT books and remind myself that spinning idea of heroism and motivation.

Merlin1958
07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Well, how to start. In my 14, I read only King's books, so it was matter of time when I find DT. At first, I readed fourth book, realized this is part of bigger saga and I had to read it all. I borrowed and readed one book after another so quickly, but I was lucky, because all books were already translated to my language at this time. I remember I managed to read last book in one shot. It was amazing, after some refreshment and a few day of break, I started to read saga again. Because at that times my parents began to divorce and my first great love betrayed me, DT saga was something like secret hideout to my mind, a brand new world, full of terrors, dangers, but full of heroes too. I cannot imagine what man I would be if I had not read the saga. For times of puberty and teenage years, idea of my Dark Tower somewhere out there, waiting for me and justyfying everything what went wrong in my life, this idea was only thing I look up to, it was only reason to survive. It did well. Now I'm reading mostly scifi and fantasy books, but after I read this thread, I need to dust off my DT books and remind myself that spinning idea of heroism and motivation.

Hey!! Welcome to the site!!!! Browse around and join in the debates!!

NickP
07-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Well I used to despise reading, but after everyone started raving about 11/22/63, I decided to read some of King's stuff. I randomly grabbed the first book of the series, and now I absolutely love reading. It's also a massive part of my childhood. I'm almost 17 now and started reading these in January of 2012, so years from now if I see these books again they'll bring up a lot of memories.

Merlin1958
07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Well I used to despise reading, but after everyone started raving about 11/22/63, I decided to read some of King's stuff. I randomly grabbed the first book of the series, and now I absolutely love reading. It's also a massive part of my childhood. I'm almost 17 now and started reading these in January of 2012, so years from now if I see these books again they'll bring up a lot of memories.

Anything that promotes "reading" is a good thing in my book!!! Welcome!! Read on, there is a wealth of tome's out there!!!

Jean
07-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Amen.

NickP, look around, maybe you will post your ideas on the other (not King's) books too - there are a lot of forums and threads.

Also, if you ever happen write something yourself, you are very welcome to post it here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?16-Turtleback-Lane). The more people read - and write - the better our universe.

dennis1979
08-16-2013, 04:25 AM
First of all allow me to introduce myself; my name is Dennis. I'm from the Netherlands. On forehand I would like to apologize for my pore English.

I fell in love with Roland, Mid-World and all the other characters from the moment I laid my eyes on them. I read the series every view years from beginning to end, and to be honest Roland and his quest and all his sacrifices are always on my mind.
It has changed my life extremely! It changed the way I look at things and how I approach everything on my path.

Especially Wizard & Glass has made an deep impact on me. Young Roland and his unconditional love for Susan Delgado. I must admit that I felt in love with Susan as well and I still am. She holds a special place in my heart as well as Jake Chambers does, I see him as my younger brother.

This sounds silly to a lot of people here in Holland, but I couldn't care less, it is just the way I feel about the Dark Tower.

I truly believe we are all on our quest to find our own Dark Tower and we want to protect our rose.

Dano
08-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Hello! I am new to the forums and must admit (much to my wife's chagrin - she shoved two different copies of The Gunslinger on my desk just now) that the only work of Mr. King's I've not read are the Dark Tower books! I am beginning tonight and look forward to the change in my life!

Dan

Jean
08-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Dano, can you hear the gnashing of teeth? It's everyone here envying you! Everyone wants to read TDT for the first time once again.

Read - and post - and read - and post...

There are many threads with interesting duscussions that don't seem active at the moment - don't hesitate to post in them! Any ideas you have will be precious!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome-713685.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/welcome-713685.jpg.html)

Stebbins
08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
The series has affected me more than any other book(s). My next door neighbor and best friend at the time (I was twelve) turned me on to the Dark Tower. This was my first exposure to Stephen King-- he's been my favorite author ever since. It, along with the Harry Potter books, also got me into reading for fun, and consequently writing. I hope with all my heart I get to have a discussion with Mr. King while we're still both on this earth.

dennis1979
08-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Stebbins, if you don't get the chance to have an discussion with SK on this earth, don’t be alarmed and just remember there are other worlds than these.

Jean
08-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Amen.

Stebbins
08-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Stebbins, if you don't get the chance to have an discussion with SK on this earth, don’t be alarmed and just remember there are other worlds than these.

Sound advice, my friend.

KatetOfNineteen
02-01-2014, 02:00 PM
The Dark Tower books were not the first Stephen King novels I have read(or attempted to read). I've always been an active reader, but when I was younger and tried reading The Shining, It and Pet Semetary I was too young and naïve to appreciate them for what they are. I never finished any of those books, but read the majority of them. As any younger person I read the Harry Potter series multiple times, I've read the Resident Evil novels more times than I can count. The RE novels really opened my eyes to the art and complexity of the imagination. I am a huge gamer and the novels really caught me because I was so connected to the games. I read the Lord of the Rings and some other series that were harder to understand but really helped my imagination grow. I picked up the Gunslinger last year and it took me the better part of six months to read. It wasn't very interesting to me and I really had to push my self to read it. Once I met Jake at the Way Station I didn't put it down. I finished the book and was impressed. The second I started The Drawing of the Three I didn't put it down and read it start to finish in twelve consecutive hours. I was in love! I read The Waste Lands in 3 days time. Wizard and Glass took me almost a whole semester of College to finish. Wolves was rough at first because of the Calla folken but I blew through it and since have almost finished the series. Never had I been so into books.

Back onto Topic. I am excited to talk to people about it, and being a very sociable person growing up I am constantly talking about it. I have changed my speech and my thought processes. It is something that I have absorbed. I created a pair of shoes that are Dark Tower themed. I have designed a full sleeve tattoo of the Dark Tower series and over the past few weeks been studying the language and vocabulary. I great coworkers by saying "Hile so and so". I've used "Long days and pleasant nights" numerous times. The fact that King connected his other books and himself into his Magnum Opus, and the impact it had on me when I made the connections. It's become a part of me. I'm excited to read his other novels starting with Salem's Lot and Insomnia. I'm super sad to finish the 7th book because I know that when I reread it I will be just as emotionally involved and the pictures in my head will be as wonderful as ever, but the element of surprise and the emotional toll will be lessened. That being said I am excited to be a part of this site as a new member and being able to really get in depth with others about the books.

webstar1000
02-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Welcome first off all...... this site is great! It changed mine for the big reason that I found a love for books... and adventure. kris

KatetOfNineteen
02-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I've always loved books, but The Dark Tower took me from an avid reader to a Calvin Tower of reading haha. I'm an obsessive reader now. I read anything I can get my hands on. I just bought The Legend of Zelda and Philosophy.

BountyHunter
02-16-2014, 07:46 AM
I read The Gunslinger years ago, but for some reason never read the rest of the books (that were out at the time). A couple of weeks ago, in the midst of making preparations for a Weird Western anthology I'm putting together, I saw a copy of The Gunslinger on the shelf. "Well, that's kind of a Weird Western," I thought to myself, so I bought it and read it. Yeah, I was hooked. So I bought the second one, then the third, which I just finished. Now I'm just getting ready to crack open the fourth. I'm pretty much obsessed with the series at the moment. Can't wait to read more.

Oh and at my local comic store yesterday, I decided to look for the comics, but they didn't have the individual issues. I asked the store owner about it and he said while they didn't have any of the individual issues left, he did have a sale going on for the hardcover collections. The first 5, for 40 dollars, marked down form 140!! Couldn't say no to that!! So now I have those to look forward to, as well, but I'm gonna hold off on it until after I've read the fourth novel, as I'm pretty sure there are spoilers in the comics concerning Susan etc.

Amber
02-16-2014, 07:52 AM
When I was reading the series I talked to everyone esp. my husband in DT language.... he didn't get it:shoot:.... I do it every time I read the series.... I do call him My Gunslinger as he is in Law enforcement and has a love for the guns, That part he gets:smile:

bennylava
04-23-2014, 03:45 PM
I always wondered what a good place was to get some writing critiqued.

webstar1000
04-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Not sure what that means in relation to the name of the thread?

PBear71
06-18-2014, 07:10 AM
I suppose this is truth time for me.... Don't judge me to harshly, you don't know the paths I have walked.

The first time I started to read this series, I was in a very dark place. I was on the cusp of committing suicide. I fought depression every day (still do). I would use Stephen King as an out so I could leave my own miserable existence of a world and find some place that I belong. Some place that wouldn't reject me. I had the plan to kill myself all laid out. I just had a little voice in the back of my head saying When I am done with this chapter Well, one chapter became two, and two became a section, and soon I had finished the book. I remember actually being mad because I couldn't kill myself now, I had to know what was going on. I made an agreement with that little voice. One more book As my eyes devoured the words that Mr. King wrote I found myself there with the Ka-tet. An invisible presence following their steps feeling their pains, their sorrows, and even the little triumphs. All too soon the book ended, and once again the agreement was made. One more book
I made it through the series. The desire of ending it all was there still, and I think deep down it may always be, but It was like a whisper. Every time I can feel that desire inside me I just answer that little voices whisper of One more book I think I am on my 4th time rereading the series now.

Jean
06-18-2014, 08:48 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/snuggleupbear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Messages/snuggleupbear.gif.html)

Girlystevedave
10-04-2014, 05:01 AM
So, The Dark Tower series saved your life? Not many books could have that large of an impact on someone. :rose:

Girlystevedave
10-04-2014, 05:04 AM
One way the Dark Tower series has affected my life: Just when I'm getting into a book, and really enjoying it, something will happen to remind me of The Dark Tower. When that happens, it just slowly begins to creep its way into my mind, making me want to cast aside the book I'm enjoying so that I can reread DT one more time.
It's powerful like that. :wub:

stephenkingcast
12-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Erin, thanks for sharing. As it was for many of us, this series WAS my life. When I started reading King, only books 1-3 had been published. I'll never forget the sensation of waiting for, and receiving, a new Dark Tower book. And then the long wait between 4-5. And the strange knowledge that with book 5, the end was near. Reading Book Seven: The Dark Tower was a roller coaster of emotions. I might not have liked all parts of the entire series, but will always be grateful for it, and look forward to seeing what another visionary could do with it in another medium.

Jon
12-11-2014, 08:06 PM
I read the original Gunslinger as a boy and waited over 20 years for the end of this journey. Today it is still in my speech. You can bet your watch and warrant on that.

AstroDad
01-25-2015, 01:08 PM
I finished the Dark Tower series years ago and to this day I find myself using the word "mayhap" in regular conversation. People look at me funny and I have to thing about what I said before I realize I said it.

webstar1000
01-28-2015, 05:37 AM
I am addicted to collecting King books and art now... I seriously have a problem. I hide it from my wife and have taken money out of investments! I have to slow down!!!!!!

Sai Sheb
03-06-2016, 08:20 AM
As mentioned the word "mayhap" I likewise use it and now my
6 and 7 yr olds do the same! (Its used a fair amount in the stand also)
The book change the way I make decisions! And friends!
"Go, then. There are other worlds than these"
John 'jake' Chambers.

Susie1975
03-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Oh, it's simple. I think about the story everyday. I do creative things like drawing pictures related to DT. And at the moment, I'm on my 4th journey. The Dark Tower is within my life, every day. I love it!

Girlystevedave
02-13-2021, 12:04 PM
To this day, any time I ball up a piece of paper to throw it away, I think of Roland when he first steps into Eddie Dean's mind on the plane and he watches in amazement as someone tears up a piece of paper because he's not used to paper being so freely used.

BrockSamson
08-27-2021, 01:49 PM
I started reading King's work when I was in junior high (far too early, but my parents never stopped me from reading) and found a copy of The Gunslinger at a garage sale when I was in high school. By then, I had read most of his work and dove in to find a strange book that wasn't really like anything else he had written.

I eventually found the second book at a used book store (this was before they were widely available) and got back to Mid World. It was a long wait for the third book and then the fourth. And each time a new book came out, I would dive back in, happy to be back.

I've read the entire series 7-8 times, and each time I find something new. It feels like home to me.

It's become a shibboleth for me as well, a way to immediately connect with someone. It's really amazing and beautiful.

ChronoSorcerer
11-12-2021, 01:56 AM
The whole series made me think of Oscar Wilde's this saying: "There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."