PDA

View Full Version : The Exorcist: 40th Anniversary Edition

mae
08-27-2011, 08:37 AM
I posted this in the What are you currently reading? thread, but wanted to single it out for its own thread, as I know lots of us here like this novel:

http://www.theninthconfiguration.com/#aug32011

Dear TNC.com readers - a bit of new and exciting news from Bill regarding the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist!

Dear Ryan,

I forgot to tell you that the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist will have a touch of new material in it as part of an all-around polish of the dialogue and prose. First time around I never had the time (meaning the funds) to do a second draft, and this, finally, is it. With forty years to think about it, a few little changes were inevitable -- plus one new character in a totally new very spooky scene. This is the version I would like to be remembered for.

All the best,
Bill

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0062094351/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p9Iv-TufL..jpg

Merlin1958
08-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow!! What a gyp!!!

CD did this one not too long ago and not only did I think it to be the definitive edition, but also very nicely done by the boys and girls at CD:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8385/exorcist001.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4736/exorcist002.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4858/exorcist003.jpg

Only to find out he had another up his sleeve!!! Damn, don't seem fair!!

Edit: Well at least it's cheap enough!!

mae
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I too have this edition. The 40th Anniversary Edition, however, sounds like it will have different text, sort of like the Revised Gunslinger. So it's worth having both for the different versions of the novel.

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-27-2011, 12:24 PM
I read that book a long time ago. It scared the hell out of me.

Merlin1958
08-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I too have this edition. The 40th Anniversary Edition, however, sounds like it will have different text, sort of like the Revised Gunslinger. So it's worth having both for the different versions of the novel.

Oh, I hear ya and I'll most likely get it for approx. $20 all in. However, you'd think he could have added that text to the CD edition? Oh well, I guess for $20 I should'nt complain, but I mean really? LOL

WeDealInLead
08-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, it's lame. I feel the same about King adding a story to the paperback of FD,NS and not to the edition that cost a few hundred dollars.

Merlin1958
08-30-2011, 06:01 PM
William Peter Blatty? For this obvious money-grab...........................................:FU :

:lol1:

mae
10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Amazon shipped my copy. Should be cool.

Merlin1958
10-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Amazon shipped my copy. Should be cool.

Mine too!!! And I saved .17 cents off the pre-order price to boot!!!! Now its burning a hole in my pocket!!!

:tongue1:

Merlin1958
10-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I actually can't wait to see what Blatty added in!!! I have to admit even though I'm a little cheesed he didn't release the new material in the CD edition.

mae
10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
The book is here! Very attractive dust jacket, and the interior design is very cool. Too bad there's no intro by Blatty talking about the revision process. This goes next to the CD edition :)

Brice
10-06-2011, 03:54 PM
It was a great book to begin with and I see no good point in a revision personally.

Merlin1958
10-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Just got mine today as well. Handsome publication, but I'm gonna break a rule and read it. Looking forward to discovering the new material.

mae
10-26-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books/theexorcist/about.html

The Exorcist: The 40th Anniversary Revised Limited Edition
by William Peter Blatty
featuring original artwork by Caniglia

Sold Out In Less Than 30 Hours!

The Exorcist: The 40th Anniversary Revised Limited Edition

Earlier this year, William Peter Blatty announced that he had revised his original manuscript for THE EXORCIST to be published as a special 40th Anniversary edition.

Lonely Road Books will be publishing a deluxe, oversized, slipcased and signed Limited Edition of this version of the book next year. This edition will feature full-color artwork by Caniglia and will be limited to just 374 copies of the Limited Edition and 26 copies of the Lettered Edition, making it an extremely collectible edition.

About the Revised Special Edition:
For the special 40th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty has returned to the manuscript, reworking portions of the book that never satisfied him. Due to financial constraints and a pressing workload at the time, he was forced to forego a desired revision. "For most of these past forty years I have rued not having done a thorough second draft and careful polish of the dialogue and prose," Blatty says. "But now, like an answer to a prayer, this fortieth anniversary edition has given me not only the opportunity to do that second draft, but to do it at a time in my life—I am 83—when it might not be totally unreasonable to hope that my abilities, such as they are, have at least somewhat improved, and for all of this I say, Deo gratias!" Among the changes, Blatty has added a chilling scene introducing the unsettling minor character of a Jesuit psychiatrist.

About the Book:
The Exorcist, one of the most controversial novels ever written, went on to become a literary phenomenon: It spent fifty-seven weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, seventeen consecutively at number one.

Inspired by a true story of a child's demonic possession in the 1940s, William Peter Blatty created an iconic novel that focuses on Regan, the eleven-year-old daughter of a movie actress residing in Washington, D.C. A small group of overwhelmed yet determined individuals must rescue Regan from her unspeakable fate, and the drama that ensues is gripping and unfailingly terrifying.

Two years after its publication, The Exorcist was, of course, turned into a wildly popular motion picture, garnering ten Academy Award nominations. On opening day of the film, lines of the novel's fans stretched around city blocks. In Chicago, frustrated moviegoers used a battering ram to gain entry through the double side doors of a theater. In Kansas City, police used tear gas to disperse an impatient crowd who tried to force their way into a cinema. The three major television networks carried footage of these events; CBS's Walter Cronkite devoted almost ten minutes to the story. The Exorcist was, and is, more than just a novel and a film: it is a true landmark.

Purposefully raw and profane, The Exorcist still has the extraordinary ability to disturb readers and cause them to forget that it is "just a story." Published here in this beautiful special Limited Edition, it remains an unforgettable reading experience and will continue to shock and frighten a new generation of readers.

About this Special Edition:
With an oversized page size and an extremely low print run, this special edition will feature a high-quality paper stock, a deluxe binding selected from the finest materials available, and cover artwork and original illustrations by Caniglia. This stunning special edition will be like no other book in your collection.

Limitation Information:
• Limited Edition: 374 signed copies bound in a deluxe material with full-color illustrations, a full-color dust jacket, and housed in a custom-made slipcase ($100)

• Lettered Edition: 26 copies, with all the special features of the Limited Edition, plus a different type of high quality binding, a full-color dust jacket, housed in a custom-made deluxe traycase ($500)

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/theexorcist/TheExorcist.jpg

Nice. Well, I got the trade at least.

mae
10-26-2011, 01:26 PM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_blatty01

In January 1968, I rented a cabin in Lake Tahoe to start writing a novel about demonic possession that I'd been thinking about for many years. I‘d been driven to it, actually: I was a writer of comic novels and farcical screenplays such as A Shot in the Dark with almost all of my income derived from films; but because the season for "funny" had abruptly turned dry and no studio would hire me for anything non-comedic, I had reached James Thurber's stage of desperation when, as he wrote in a "Preface to His Life," comedy writers sometimes take to "calling their home from their office, or their office from their home, asking for themselves, and then hanging up in hard-breathing relief upon being told they 'weren't in.'" My breaking point came, I suppose, when at the Van Nuys, California, unemployment office I spotted my movie agent in a line three down from mine. And so the cabin in Tahoe where I was destined to become the caretaker in Stephen King's terrifying The Shining, typing my version of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" hour after hour, day after day, for over six weeks as I kept changing the date in my opening paragraph from "April 1" to April something else, because each time I would read the page aloud, the rhythm of the lines seemed to change, a maddening cycle of emptiness and insecurity — magnified, I suppose, by the fact that I had no clear plot for the novel in mind — that continued until I at last gave up the cabin and hoped for better luck back "home," a clapboard raccoon-surrounded guest house in the hills of Encino owned by a former Hungarian opera star who had purchased the property from the luminous film actress, Angela Lansbury, and where I finally overcame the block by realizing that I was starting the novel in the wrong place, namely the Georgetown section of Washington, D.C., as opposed to northern Iraq. Almost a year later I completed a first draft of the novel. At the request of my editors at Harper and Row, I did make two quick changes: cleaning up Chris MacNeil's potty mouth, and making the ending "less obvious." But because of a dire financial circumstance, I had not another day to devote to the manuscript, so that when I received a life-saving offer to adapt Calder Willingham's novel Providence Island for the screen for Paul Newman's film company, I instantly accepted and left my novel to find its fate. For most of these past forty years I have rued not having done a thorough second draft and careful polish of the dialogue and prose. But now, like an answer to a prayer, this fortieth anniversary of the novel has given me not only the opportunity to do another draft, but to do it at a time in my life — I will be 84 this coming January — when it might not be totally unreasonable to hope that my abilities, such as they are, have at least somewhat improved, and for all of this I say, Deo gratias!

— William Peter Blatty

Merlin1958
12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Hope I have this in the right forum. With the recent publication of the CD "The Exocist/Legion" and "The Exorcist, 40th Anniversary Edition", I for one embarked on a re-read of the books.

So I thought it worth digging up the old discussions arising from those books regarding "Good vs Evil" and "Did Father Karras win in his battle against Pazzuzu"? Feel free to move onto other story related discussions as these books were certainly polaring tales at the time and I submit still stand the test of time.

mystima
12-03-2011, 07:21 PM
It has been a few months since I read The Exorcist, but for the life of me can't remember if Father Karras was the younger or older priest. Need to refresh my memory...lol...will get back when I do remember.

Jean
12-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Merlin, would you mind if I moved it to the Mansion? That's where we are discussing such books

a wonderful thread, thank you! I hope I'll be able to take part after I've re-read both. I love The Exorcist, and I absolutely adore Legion.

Merlin1958
12-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Merlin, would you mind if I moved it to the Mansion? That's where we are discussing such books

a wonderful thread, thank you! I hope I'll be able to take part after I've re-read both. I love The Exorcist, and I absolutely adore Legion.

Feel free to move it where you feel it should be and my apologies for my over enthusiasm. Your In-box is full again! LOL

Jean
12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
moved! it seems a good place for it, so you can disregard my PM altogether. I will try to clear some space, though

It has been a few months since I read The Exorcist, but for the life of me can't remember if Father Karras was the younger or older priest. Need to refresh my memory...lol...will get back when I do remember.
or better still, when you've re-read the book! it is totally worth it

mystima
12-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I probably will after I find Legion. Another book to look for...hehehe...

Merlin1958
01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I probably will after I find Legion. Another book to look for...hehehe...

Well Darling, I've heard through the grapevine that you have read "Legion" and are working on "The Exorcist". Your thoughts and opinions? Enquiring minds wants to know!!! LOL

mystima
01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
where do I begin?.....lol...I love how they brought Kinderman's character out for Legion. I thought as I was reading The Exorcist that he needed a book to tell his story and well there it is. Heehee. He has a way of getting answers that need answering but does it in a way that you don't realize that he has done it. His sarcastic ways are what I adore about his character, especially about the carp!

His 'theory' which is throughout the whole of the story is subtle and doesn't bog you down like some other books do that I have read earlier in my reading history.

Merlin1958
01-05-2012, 08:38 PM
where do I begin?.....lol...I love how they brought Kinderman's character out for Legion. I thought as I was reading The Exorcist that he needed a book to tell his story and well there it is. Heehee. He has a way of getting answers that need answering but does it in a way that you don't realize that he has done it. His sarcastic ways are what I adore about his character, especially about the carp!

His 'theory' which is throughout the whole of the story is subtle and doesn't bog you down like some other books do that I have read earlier in my reading history.

Good stuff!!! He is a character for "The Ages" so to speak. Glad you enjoyed it!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

mystima
01-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Oh it was a splendid read for me. I just wish I would have found these books when I was younger. There aren't that many books that I would re-read and these are definitely going to be "read to death" as my mother used to say....lol.

Jean
01-06-2012, 01:24 AM
:rose: :rose: :rose:

Ricky
01-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Does anyone mind if we use spoiler tags about specific plot details? I'm about 100 pages into Legion and would hate to be spoiled. :)

mtdman
05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I listened to the Exorcist, the first book, last fall around Halloween time. I really liked the book, and was surprised that the movie followed it so closely. I thought the book was a lot scarier than the movie, and that thing creeped me out.

Brice
05-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes, this is one of those very rare cases where the movie follows the book very closely. It is one to stay up late at night and watch alone.

mtdman
05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
IMO Exorcist 3 is a good movie as well, and has a couple of the scariest scenes in it. That's one of my yearly Halloween watching movies.

Brice
05-28-2012, 05:42 PM
I actually haven't seen that one in years and only have vague memories of it.

mtdman
05-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Hospital corridor scene is intense.

Ricky
05-28-2012, 06:06 PM
I actually wasn't too thrilled with the movie (The Exorcist). I guess that comes from knowing what to expect from the book, whereas if someone hasn't read the book, the scares in the movie are more unexpected. I did like Reagan, though. Very creepy.

Brice
05-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I did like Reagan, though. Very creepy.

All this time I knew he was an actor before he became president, but I didn't realize he was in this. :orely:

Ricky
05-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh, yeah! Why do you think they called him "Pea Soup Reagan"?

Brice
05-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Ricky? LOL

Ricky
05-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes? Haha

Brice
05-28-2012, 06:41 PM
I think maybe you've had too many donuts this evening.

mystima
05-28-2012, 07:08 PM
I liked the third movie as well as the first...the one in the middle I had no clue as to what the hell was going on....maybe because it wasn't based on the books....

Heather19
05-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I think maybe you've had too many donuts this evening.

:lol:

I think I've only seen the first film, and the more recent Beginning? one. I'll have to check out the others.

mystima
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
They made two versions of the beginning...due to the fact that they changed directors mid movie and changed it. Have seen both and both are very interesting.

On a different note, what do you think about a stage version of the Exorcist?
http://news.yahoo.com/theyve-scared-exorcist-stage-093730842.html

Merlin1958
07-06-2012, 03:48 PM
They made two versions of the beginning...due to the fact that they changed directors mid movie and changed it. Have seen both and both are very interesting.

On a different note, what do you think about a stage version of the Exorcist?
http://news.yahoo.com/theyve-scared-exorcist-stage-093730842.html

Haven't had a chance to see it, but I could see where it might be an awesome production. Especially "live" so to speak. Thanks for the "Heads up", I'll be keeping a weather eye out for it!!!!

Brice
07-07-2012, 07:38 AM
:nope: I'm holding out for a musical.

Jimimck
07-09-2012, 03:06 PM
I am waiting on a copy of CD's exorcist/Legion to be delivered, and so then I can finally read Legion. When I do, I'll be back to discuss. Can't wait!

Merlin1958
07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
I am waiting on a copy of CD's exorcist/Legion to be delivered, and so then I can finally read Legion. When I do, I'll be back to discuss. Can't wait!

I'm waiting on that edition as well. I might suggest that you P/U a PB or used edition at your local book store. In a few ways, I thought "Legion" was a better book, but you still need to read "The Exorcist'!! Classic!!

Ricky
07-10-2012, 07:39 AM
You would think that, being you're Kinderman and all. :lol:

Jean
07-10-2012, 08:43 AM
In a few ways, I thought "Legion" was a better book, but you still need to read "The Exorcist'!! Classic!!exactly what bears think

Merlin1958
10-18-2012, 01:40 PM
My, Lord this is taking very long to deliver, No?

I thought October was the target date!!

Jimimck
10-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Based on the updates I've read, I think we are looking for Chrismas/New Years before its ready for delivery (slipcase production etc).

Jimimck
10-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I know this is the Exorcist/Legion edition thread, but if you haven't already seen it, the artwork for the Lttered edition of Lonely Road Books 40th anniversary edition of Exorcist is on their web page. Not sure when it was added, but I only just noticed it today.

http://lonelyroadbooks.com/books/theexorcist/about.html

Jean
10-19-2012, 08:11 AM
In a few ways, I thought "Legion" was a better book, but you still need to read "The Exorcist'!! Classic!!
You know, I think it's like Tom Sawyer vs. Huckleberry Finn, or Alice in the Wonderland vs. Through the Looking-Glass. The first, the original parts are true classics - they are fresh, vibrant with originality and this vital force that makes a unique, outstanding book; the sequels - I know the word doesn't fit, but I can't think of a better one at the moment - are, on the other hand, subtler, deeper, more personal, - more lyrical.

Merlin1958
10-19-2012, 08:14 AM
In a few ways, I thought "Legion" was a better book, but you still need to read "The Exorcist'!! Classic!!
You know, I think it's like Tom Sawyer vs. Huckleberry Finn, or Alice in the Wonderland vs. Through the Looking-Glass. The first, the original parts are true classics - they are fresh, vibrant with originality and this vital force that makes a unique, outstanding book; the sequels - I know the word doesn't fit, but I can't think of a better one at the moment - are, on the other hand, subtler, deeper, more personal, - more lyrical.

Very good point!!