PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Book Dedications

Randall Flagg
08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
In most of his books, King has written a dedication. Any interest in a listing of the titles and the dedication(s)?

If so, I need a volunteer. I started to do it, but is needs to be done one page at a time, then each page changed to a .pdf or jpeg that is < 800 pixels in either dimension, then uploaded.
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1314295488-King%20dedications%20page%201.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1314295499-King%20Dedications%20page%202.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1403880541-King%20dedcatios%20page%203.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1403880790-King%20dedications%20page%204.png

Mr. Mercedes: Thinking of James M. Cain. They threw me off the hay truck about noon...

The Dark Man: In memory of Carroll F. Terrell, scholar and friend.

Doctor Sleep:
When I was playing my primitive brand of rhythm guitar with a group called the Rock Bottom Remainders, Warren Zevon used to gig with us. Warren loved gray t-shirts and movies like Kingdom of the Spiders. He insisted I sing lead on his signature tune, “Werewolves of London,” during the encore portion of our shows. I said I was not worthy. He insisted that I was. “Key of G,” Warren told me, “and howl like you mean it. Most important of all: play like Keith.”
I’ll never be able to play like Keith Richards, but I always did my best, and with Warren beside me, matching me note for note and laughing his fool head off, I always did my best.
Warren this howl is for you, wherever you are. I miss you, buddy.

Revival: This is for the people who built my house:

Mary Shelley

Bram Stoker

H. P. Lovecraft

Clark Ashton Smith

Donald Wandrei

Fritz Leiber

August Derleth

Shirley Jackson

Robert Bloch

Peter Straub

And ARTHUR MACHEN, whose short novel
"The Great God Pan" has haunted me all my life.

Finders Keepers: Thinking of John D. MacDonald

The Bazaar Of Bad Dreams: I shoot from the hip and keep a stiff upper lip. -AC/DC

End Of Watch: For Thomas Harris

Sleeping Beauties: In Remembrance of Sandra Bland

The Outsider: For Rand and Judy Holston

Shannon
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
I like the idea of a main listing, but I moreso like the idea of adding this info to the individual book pages in the Catalog.

Bev Vincent
08-25-2011, 02:27 AM
Here's a resource (http://www.angelfire.com/tx/SKPage/Dedications.html)

Randall Flagg
08-25-2011, 05:58 AM
I like the idea of a main listing, but I moreso like the idea of adding this info to the individual book pages in the Catalog.
I thought so too. More work for me.:mummy:
I'll probably just start doing them.

TwistedNadine
08-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Id be interested in a complete listing but also interested in any related stories behind the dedications

Pasiuk57
08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I have quite a few inscribed to Mike or Michael

Randall Flagg
08-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I wasn't talking about a personalized book, but the actual dedications at the beginning of most of King's works.
I am uploading new images now. If anyone sees mistakes (likely), or omissions, please let me know. Some of King's dedications are simple, but some are (to me) vague. I would love to hear details on the ones that aren't easily figured out.
Check my first post for the updated images.

TwistedNadine
08-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks for that list. Anyone out there have more details on some of these dedications? Like who is Susan Artz and WGT (Rage dedication)?

carlosdetweiller
08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks for that list. Anyone out there have more details on some of these dedications? Like who is Susan Artz and WGT (Rage dedication)?

WGT is William G. Thompson who was King's editor at Doubleday. Thompson tried and tried to get Doubleday to publish GETTING IT ON (the original title of RAGE) but was unsuccessful and, I think, felt almost as badly as King that it wasn't published at that time.

Susan Artz was originally the sole dedicatee for GETTING IT ON. I think she was one of King's teachers at some point but I don't know any more about her than that.

Randall Flagg
08-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow. Always good information here. I think I might add a Dedication line to the books in our Catalog. When explanations are available, I will could add them parenthetically.
<----------------------Always looking to add to the Catalog and make it the premier information spot on the WWW.

Merlin1958
08-25-2011, 06:48 PM
I am sure he could use some help. I am by no means as knowledgeable as others on these boards. Someone who is an expert could speak up and help out?

Just spitballing here!!

It's a really cool idea!!

Bev Vincent
08-26-2011, 02:15 AM
Susan Artz was originally the sole dedicatee for GETTING IT ON. I think she was one of King's teachers at some point but I don't know any more about her than that.

In the intro to the original version of The Stand, King acknowledges "Susan Artz Manning of Castine, who proofed the original manuscript." I wonder if that's where the Lost gang got the name for their character, the high school science teacher who ended up splattered all over the place. Dude, you got some Artz on you.

TwistedNadine
08-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow. Always good information here. I think I might add a Dedication line to the books in our Catalog. When explanations are available, I will could add them parenthetically.
<----------------------Always looking to add to the Catalog and make it the premier information spot on the WWW.

I think thats an excellent idea!

TwistedNadine
08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Interesting observation, Bev.
Anyone have any info on the Misery dedication? The way that was written sounds like there should be a good story to it:
"This is for Stephanie and Jim Leonard, who know why. Boy, DO they."

DanishCollector
08-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Stephanie and Jim Leonard handled a lot of King's fanmail in the days, so they knew about the more unstable and deranged fans.

TwistedNadine
08-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks. Love this kind of trivia. Lot of dedications to Tabby and the kids - and a few to his mom. Dont see any to his Dad though. Very telling I think.

Bev Vincent
08-27-2011, 09:36 AM
No big surprise there -- he never knew his dad after the age of two.

TwistedNadine
08-27-2011, 09:39 AM
No big surprise there -- he never knew his dad after the age of two.

Oh. I knew his parents divorced when he was little but thought I read somewhere he was in touch with him occasionally.

Bev Vincent
08-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Nope -- never saw him after he walked out. There wasn't even a divorce. He just left.

Randall Flagg
08-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Starting with "The Long Walk", what info is there about Jim Bishop, Burt Hartlen and Ted Holmes?

DanishCollector
08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
They were his teachers in college (or high school) and they read the novel in its first draft and urged him to keep on writing...or something like that.

Randall Flagg
08-29-2011, 12:39 PM
They were his teachers in college (or high school) and they read the novel in its first draft and urged him to keep on writing...or something like that.
Any link or book to look in to verify that info? I don't doubt you, but "Confirm twice, publish once" is how I want to verify before I enter the info in The Catalog.

Bev Vincent
08-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Stephen King from A to Z: an encyclopedia of his life and work (http://books.google.com/books?id=2BcECkYB7uoC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=%22stephen+king%22+%22jim+bishop%22+%22long+wal k%22&source=bl&ots=XbE5Cu6n9o&sig=QWmnovGL8kd5ybWHHrobwZs1efI&hl=en&ei=IPpbTq2gOoSpsAKs7Y3SDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22stephen%20king%22%20%22jim%20bishop%22%20%22l ong%20walk%22&f=false), page 128

Randall Flagg
08-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Stephen King from A to Z: an encyclopedia of his life and work (http://books.google.com/books?id=2BcECkYB7uoC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=%22stephen+king%22+%22jim+bishop%22+%22long+wal k%22&source=bl&ots=XbE5Cu6n9o&sig=QWmnovGL8kd5ybWHHrobwZs1efI&hl=en&ei=IPpbTq2gOoSpsAKs7Y3SDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22stephen%20king%22%20%22jim%20bishop%22%20%22l ong%20walk%22&f=false), page 128
I will need to obtain the book.

TwistedNadine
08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Starting with "The Long Walk", what info is there about Jim Bishop, Burt Hartlen and Ted Holmes?

I just purchased The Long Walk from Jim Bishop - inscribed to him by SK. He is sending along a letter of provenance explaining the dedication and inscription. Ill post when I receive it. Hatlen was his English teacher University of Maine. Jim is actually still at the University and I believe was also one of his teachers. I did ask Jim if he knew who Susan Artz was (thinking she was also from the University) but he has no idea who she is.

Randall Flagg
08-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Anyone willing to post an explanation that is correct and less than ~100 words?
It will go into the Catalog entry.

TwistedNadine
08-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Lets see what Jim says in his letter then condense it for the catalog.

Randall Flagg
08-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Lets see what Jim says in his letter then condense it for the catalog.
Looking forward to it.:ft:

carlosdetweiller
08-29-2011, 04:13 PM

I just purchased The Long Walk from Jim Bishop - inscribed to him by SK. He is sending along a letter of provenance explaining the dedication and inscription. Ill post when I receive it. Hatlen was his English teacher University of Maine. Jim is actually still at the University and I believe was also one of his teachers. I did ask Jim if he knew who Susan Artz was (thinking she was also from the University) but he has no idea who she is.

Really nice. Books inscribed to the dedicatee (the so-called dedication copy) are premium prizes.

Nerak
08-30-2011, 08:52 AM
11/22/63 is dedicated to Zelda...I can't remember the exact wording, but am assuming that it's Owen and Kelly's daughter.

Merlin1958
08-30-2011, 06:48 PM
11/22/63 is dedicated to Zelda...I can't remember the exact wording, but am assuming that it's Owen and Kelly's daughter.

Awesome!!!

AND coincidently, my 4,000th post!!!!! Yay, Merlin!!!

LOL :rolleyes2: LOL

Thanks Karen!!!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-31-2011, 04:12 AM
AND coincidently, my 4,000th post!!!!! Yay, Merlin!!!

...this week!

:P

TwistedNadine
09-08-2011, 05:14 PM

Really nice. Books inscribed to the dedicatee (the so-called dedication copy) are premium prizes.

Agreed! Still waiting for it to arrive...

TwistedNadine
09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Any link or book to look in to verify that info? I don't doubt you, but "Confirm twice, publish once" is how I want to verify before I enter the info in The Catalog.

All three (Jim Bishop, Ted Holmes and Burt Hatlen) were teachers at the University of Maine and all were influential and encouraging to SK. Still waiting for - and looking forward - to the letter from Jim.

TwistedNadine
09-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Still cant find out anything about Susan Artz. Maybe the name was changed to protect the innocent...

Stockerlone
09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
On the german SK page, ´we´ have the translated versions of ´several dedications:

http://www.stephen-king.de/buecher-und-werke/widmungen.html

wizardsrainbow
09-22-2011, 05:07 AM

Ewwww....wasn't Zelda Louis Creed's sister in law that was the "dark secret" kept in the back room as a child until she died?

scstandpipe
09-22-2011, 08:14 PM

Ewwww....wasn't Zelda Louis Creed's sister in law that was the "dark secret" kept in the back room as a child until she died?

That's what I thought of first...although I think it was Louis's wife Rachel's older sister who died of spinal meningitis; now I can't get the male actor who played Zelda in the movie out of my head!!! :panic:

Randall Flagg
11-22-2011, 10:23 AM
11/22/63 is dedicated: For Zelda, welcome to the party.
Any idea who Zelda is?

Bev Vincent
11-22-2011, 10:25 AM
It's his newest grandchild. He explains this in the Afterword.

Randall Flagg
11-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Ah, thanks. I haven't read the book yet.

Bev Vincent
11-22-2011, 10:42 AM
He planned to dedicate it to someone else (I won't say who) changed his mind when the new family member arrived.

Randall Flagg
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
He planned to dedicate it to someone else (I won't say who) changed his mind when the new family member arrived.
Perhaps to Bev?

Bev Vincent
11-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't that have been a kick in the pants? No, to another author whose work he identifies as being inspirational for this book.

Randall Flagg
06-11-2012, 06:39 AM
TWTTK:

This is for Robin Furth and the gang at Marvel Comics.

Randall Flagg
08-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Joyland: For Donald Westlake
Westlake is a writer.

The Dark Man: In Memory of Carroll F. Terrell, scholar and friend.

Bev Vincent
09-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Doctor Sleep:

When I was playing my primitive brand of rhythm guitar with a group called the Rock Bottom Remainders, Warren Zevon used to gig with us. Warren loved gray t-shirts and movies like Kingdom of the Spiders. He insisted I sing lead on his signature tune, “Werewolves of London,” during the encore portion of our shows. I said I was not worthy. He insisted that I was. “Key of G,” Warren told me, “and howl like you mean it. Most important of all: play like Keith.”
I’ll never be able to play like Keith Richards, but I always did my best, and with Warren beside me, matching me note for note and laughing his fool head off, I always did my best.
Warren this howl is for you, wherever you are. I miss you, buddy.

CRinVA
09-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Very cool inscription. I've said this before, but its worth stating again (at least to me) that I met Warren Zevon before he reached fame. I heard Werewolves of London before it was even released! That and a few other songs as well! All on the island of Kauai in 1977 I think.

Randall Flagg
08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Thank you to jhanic for the dedication from Revival:

This is for the people who built my house:

Mary Shelley

Bram Stoker

H. P. Lovecraft

Clark Ashton Smith

Donald Wandrei

Fritz Leiber

August Derleth

Shirley Jackson

Robert Bloch

Peter Straub

And ARTHUR MACHEN, whose short novel
"The Great God Pan" has haunted me all my life.

jhanic
08-28-2014, 11:30 AM
My pleasure!

John

herbertwest
08-28-2014, 01:12 PM
The novel is very lovecraftian.

thegreattim
08-31-2014, 08:05 AM
That makes me very happy. I love well written derivations/inspirations of Lovecraft. Especially King's.

herbertwest
03-05-2015, 01:26 PM
up :)
@Jerome : why necessarily needing it as an image? A text would actually be better for SEO reasons

Randall Flagg
03-05-2015, 01:29 PM
up :)
@Jerome : why necessarily needing it as an image? A text would actually be better for SEO reasons
????

herbertwest
03-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Regarding your comment : "If so, I need a volunteer. I started to do it, but is needs to be done one page at a time, then each page changed to a .pdf or jpeg that is < 800 pixels in either dimension, then uploaded."
Would actually be better, for SEO (appearing in Google) not being a picture but actual text in a thread

herbertwest
03-07-2015, 08:21 AM
I have a few questions about the persons King mentions in his dedications :

DUMA KEY dedicated to : Barbara Ann & Jimmy.
SKELETON CREW : Arthur & Joyce Green :
ROADWORK : "Charlotte Littlefield"
ROSE MADDER : Joan Marks
DESPERATION : Carter Withey
HEARTS IN ATLANTIS : "This is for Joseph and Leanora and Ethan: I told you all that to tell you this."
>>> Who are those?

Also, regarding the dedication of BLOCKADE BILLY : "This is for every guy (and girl) who ever put on the gear."
>>> What is the gear?

Bev Vincent
03-07-2015, 09:26 AM
HiA -- Joe Hill, his wife at the time and their son.
BB -- baseball equipment
Desperation -- Carter was Steve's roadie when he motorcycled across the US. I met him at the National Book Awards banquet
SC -- Arthur Green is Steve's lawyer
RW -- Charlotte Littlefield taught with SK at Hampden Academy. There's also a character named for her in It, a teacher at Derry High School
RM -- Joan Marks, a social worker from Portland (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182251/)
DK -- People he knows from Florida, I believe.

herbertwest
03-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks !

Bev Vincent
03-19-2015, 11:15 AM

Randall Flagg
03-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Any idea what the reference is for?

Bev Vincent
03-19-2015, 11:51 AM
He's in a crime fiction state of mind, I guess.

Randall Flagg
03-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Stephen King (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King) stated in the book Faces of Fear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faces_of_Fear_%28interview_book%29): "John D. MacDonald has written a novel called The End of the Night which I would argue is one of the greatest American novels of the twentieth century. It ranks with Death of a Salesman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_Salesman), it ranks with An American Tragedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Tragedy)."

Bev Vincent
03-19-2015, 11:56 AM
MacDonald wrote the introduction to Night Shift. He also dropped references to King books into his Travis McGee novels.

Randall Flagg
03-19-2015, 11:58 AM
MacDonald wrote the introduction to Night Shift. He also dropped references to King books into his Travis McGee novels.
Too bad he'll never know about this dedication.

zelig
03-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Stephen King (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King) stated in the book Faces of Fear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faces_of_Fear_%28interview_book%29): "John D. MacDonald has written a novel called The End of the Night which I would argue is one of the greatest American novels of the twentieth century. It ranks with Death of a Salesman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_Salesman), it ranks with An American Tragedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Tragedy)."

Will have to read it some time... Looks like it's only available on Kindle... I'll hunt one of the original paperbacks down...

Bev Vincent
03-17-2016, 09:54 AM
End of Watch: For Thomas Harris

Randall Flagg
07-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Post #1 updated to End of Watch

Bev Vincent
06-30-2017, 03:48 AM
Sleeping Beauties: In Remembrance of Sandra Bland

Bev Vincent
02-03-2018, 06:49 PM
The Outsider: For Rand and Judy Holston

herbertwest
02-04-2018, 03:04 AM
From a talent agency?
> http://deadline.com/2011/12/ex-caa-vet-agent-rand-holston-hired-by-paradigm-201650/

Bev Vincent
10-24-2018, 02:20 AM
Elevation: Thinking of Richard Matheson

Ari_Racing
06-04-2019, 08:49 AM
The Institute:
For my grandsons: Ethan, Aidan, and Ryan.

herbertwest
06-04-2019, 08:57 AM
US proof?

Ari_Racing
06-04-2019, 09:02 AM
No(t yet) ;)

lotuz
12-26-2019, 08:25 PM
wow, i'm sorta impressed by this weird bot! never seen anything like this in my years of browsing...

edit: "The ebt scanner is an extremely fast, ultra low radiation diagnostic imaging tool that can take cardiac and other images between heartbeats. buy cialis for cheap in the know buy cialis at navigate to this web-site buy cialis without a doctor prescription Many parents are opting to have their children vaccinated with the single measles, mumps and rubella vaccines due to growing concerns about the safety of the mmr, but are they jumping out of the frying pan into the fire?"

edit 2 - lol: "He usually has two glasses of wine a night with dinner. no prescription generic cialis browse this thread cialis safe sale weblink how to buy cialis safely online When fixing bad teeth, you can either decide to do it from home like using clear aligners for instance to get your teeth straight without braces."

edit 3 - this incredible gem was a bit back: "After discussion, the motion failed with five opposed and two in favor. cialis bought online look at here now how to buy cialis online without prescription click here where to buy cialis online in usa This includes letting you shortlist your hotel basis the locality, for instance, jaipur city centre, south jaipur, north jaipur among others."

herbertwest
01-20-2020, 01:30 AM
SPAAAAAAM

Bev Vincent
02-26-2020, 03:06 PM
If It Bleeds: Thinking of Russ Dorr / I miss you, Chief

Bev Vincent
01-10-2021, 05:00 AM
Later: For Chris Lotts

(He’s King’s foreign rights agent—I’ve worked with him on FLIGHT OR FRIGHT)

herbertwest
01-10-2021, 10:38 AM
I spoke a bit with Chris (and Marsha) when King visited France, back in 2013. And exchanged a few times since for some (hopefully upcoming) projects...

Ari_Racing
01-10-2021, 10:39 AM
Cool! Same here but only by email. I dealt with him about the Spanish edition of Dark Tower Concordance I published in 2018 and later about a project I'm currently working on.

Bev Vincent
04-20-2021, 10:59 AM
Billy Summer: Thinking of Raymond and Sarah Jane Spruce

HugoToledo
06-14-2021, 07:51 AM

Sure, I’m here 6+ years later but it may be of interest anybody also looking for his dedications.

Spy magazine used to have an excellent column called, “Logrolling in our Times”.

In it they listed examples of reciprocation of dedications between authors. Definitely made it seem as if this was something set up by their publicists and not sincere, self-driven participation by the authors themselves.

Of course, we have no way of knowing what was in the respective authors’ hearts and minds at the time.

Bev Vincent
05-22-2022, 04:18 AM
Fairy Tale: Thinking of REH, ERB, and, of course, HPL

surly
05-23-2022, 04:23 AM
Fairy Tale: Thinking of REH, ERB, and, of course, HPL

Howard, Burroughs, and Lovecraft?

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Bev Vincent
04-26-2023, 05:08 PM
Holly:

This is for Chuck Verrill
Editor, agent, and most of all, friend
1951-2022
Thanks, Chuck

Bev Vincent
02-03-2024, 11:06 AM
You Like It Darker: For the twins, Thomas and Edward

Randall Flagg
02-03-2024, 04:54 PM
You Like It Darker: For the twins, Thomas and Edward
What is the relevance? King's grand-kids?

Bev Vincent
02-03-2024, 04:58 PM
Joe’s new family, I believe.