PDA

View Full Version : Free Subscription to Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine

mae
08-03-2011, 06:20 AM
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1592183&highlight=

Amazon.com today announced that a free subscription to the digest edition of Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine is now exclusively available in the Kindle Store. Kindle customers who subscribe will get access to all of the magazine's editorial content - editor's recommendations, "Curiosities" (odd books of enduring interest), film reviews, book reviews, cartoons and humor, and "Coming Attractions" (highlights of each issue) - along with one short story, all at no cost. Customers can start reading the magazine today on their Kindle or free Kindle reading apps for Android, iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

"Fantasy & Science Fiction is the definitive magazine of the genre," said Russ Grandinetti, Vice President of Kindle Content. "We know our Kindle customers are huge fans of this category, and we're excited to offer them a free and exclusive subscription to the magazine to read anywhere."

Stephen King, bestselling author and long-time fan of Fantasy & Science Fiction, said: "This is the best fiction magazine in America. Kindle readers are in luck."

Fantasy & Science Fiction, which publishes six times a year, was founded in 1949 and is the original publisher of classics by a wide variety of great writers, including Stephen King, Daniel Keyes and Kurt Vonnegut. Each bimonthly issue offers compelling short fiction and the science-fiction field's most respected and outspoken opinions on books, films, and science.

A subscription to the extended edition of the magazine, which is also a Kindle exclusive, is available for just $12 a year and includes everything in the digest edition plus several additional short stories and novelettes. Individual issues of the extended edition are available for $2.99.

Like all Kindle books and many magazines, Fantasy & Science Fiction is "Buy Once, Read Everywhere"-- customers can read more than 100 newspapers and magazines, including The Economist, The Atlantic, Newsweek, and the Washington Post, using their Kindles and free Kindle reading apps for Android, iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. With Kindle Worry-Free Archive, books and magazines purchased from the Kindle Store are automatically backed up online in customers' Kindle libraries on Amazon, where they can be re-downloaded wirelessly for free, anytime.

http://www.suite101.com/content/stephen-king-calls-free-amazon-kindle-mag-best-science-fiction-a382787

It has been awhile since Amazon has offered Kindle users a good freebie, so the August 2, 2011 Amazon.com announcement that there is a free magazine subscription to Fantasy & Science Fiction is welcome news for Kindle fans. You do not need a Kindle to access the digest of the magazine; you can get the issues delivered to your Kindle app for free.

Fantasy & Science Fiction has six issues a year. The free Kindle version is a "lite" version of the magazine. All of the editorial content is available, and that includes book and movie reviews. There is one free short story available in each of the Kindle editions. If you want to subscribe to the full magazine, you can buy it for $12 a year.

Amazon offered author Stephen King's endorsement of the magazine. The Amazon media email about the free magazine says that the horror author said, "This is the best fiction magazine in America. Kindle readers are in luck." Stephen King seems to have a soft spot for the Amazon Kindle; his short story about an otherworldly pink Kindle, UR, was released as a Kindle exclusive when Kindle 2 debuted in February, 2009.

When you subscribe to the Kindle edition of Fantasy & Science Fiction, you need to go through the Kindle store. If you regularly use a Kindle, it is just like buying a Kindle book. If you are new to using Kindle or you are using a Kindle app, you can go through the Amazon.com store and buy the book. Due to Apple's change of policy on shopping through apps, Kindle app owners can no longer buy ebooks directly through the app. You can click "shop" and buy through the Amazon Kindle store on Safari if you are using an iPhone or iPad Kindle App; Android apps have not changed.

Even though the subscription is free, you still have to buy it for 0.00. Search "All Departments" for Fantasy & Science Fiction and you will see a banner right below the search box, above the search results. It will say, "Free Exclusive Digest: Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine". From there, click "Subscribe now."

Be sure that you are subscribing to the free digest magazine and not the paid subscription. Both the free and the paid magazines are Kindle Editions that are published by Spilogale Inc and distributed by Amazon Digital Services. The ASIN for the free magazine is B004ZFZCKY. The paid edition, which has the full magazine, is called the Extended Edition. The ASIN for that digital magazine is B004ZFZ4O8, and you will be charged after 14 days if you subcribe to that edition, unless you just buy a single iissue for .99.

Nerak
08-03-2011, 09:15 AM
wouldn't you know it. I own a Nook! Stupid Kindle!

iowabob
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
wouldn't you know it. I own a Nook! Stupid Kindle!
All I have is the Kindle app for PC, and it won't even work with that. :(

ELazansky
08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
It may be free, but you only get one story per issue. I'd rather pay the $12 and subscribe to get everything.

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
I just grab an issue off the shelf if I want to read it:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/fandsf1.jpg?t=1312409209

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/fandsf2.jpg?t=1312409335

RolandLover
08-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Wow ur2ndbiggestfan very impressive library you have! I subscribe to it only because I saw Stephen King name lol!

Randall Flagg
08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Looks like you are missing one....

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Good eye! I'm actually missing 3 issues from 2006 (on order), and I have yet to get the 2010 issues. I'll probably re-subscribe later this year.