PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Collecting Questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

Hutch
08-12-2009, 07:42 AM
I think you got a great deal on both. I think both were less than original retail. WOW! Of course condition is a factor. I find the S/L audio of DTII particularly difficult to find.

Hey Folks - Quick question... about how much are the Sai King signed Gunslinger and DOTT audio cassettes worth/going for?

I paid $95 for DT I and $105 for DTII last year.

e_taylor
08-12-2009, 07:45 AM
I think you got a great deal on both. I think both were less than original retail. WOW! Of course condition is a factor. I find the S/L audio of DTII particularly difficult to find.

Hey Folks - Quick question... about how much are the Sai King signed Gunslinger and DOTT audio cassettes worth/going for?

I paid $95 for DT I and $105 for DTII last year.

I've noticed that too, and found it confusing. Is there not the same number of S/L DTI Audio as DTII Audio?

You'd think if folks were going to hoard one over the other that it would be the Gunslinger, not DotT.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-12-2009, 08:27 AM
[/QUOTE]

What can I say. I'm Scottish! I never pay full price for anything :)

Just bought a Lettered Borderlands 5 for under the issue price.

Darkmaniscoming
08-12-2009, 09:03 AM
wow that's even rarer...i'd hold on to that one until mine sells.

'''''''''''''''''''''''' can someone with technical knowledge insert all these missing apostraphes in my posts please...:excited:

Randall Flagg
08-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Not even an Imperial pint of ale?:nope:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Not even an Imperial pint of ale?:nope:

Not when it's your round. :)

Patrick
08-15-2009, 08:23 AM
:lol:

I'd like to pick up a copy of the DTII S/L tapes as well.

Randall Flagg
08-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Opinions as to whether this should remain as a stand alone thread, or be merged into the Collecting Questions thread?

jhanic
08-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Combine it.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Couldn't be bothered looking for the right place to put this...

Fairgoers get a King-size Treat
http://www.fenceviewer.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15150:Fairgoers%20get%20a%20King-size%20Treat&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=166

So, to keep it on topic...

Have you got your copy of "The Elsworth American"?

jhanic
08-17-2009, 09:11 AM
That's a great story!

John

Patrick
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Couldn't be bothered looking for the right place to put this...

Fairgoers get a King-size Treat
http://www.fenceviewer.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15150:Fairgoers%20get%20a%20King-size%20Treat&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=166

:lol: Yes, totally the wrong thread, but that was a great article! Thanks for sharing.

herbertwest
08-18-2009, 12:50 AM
My daughter, Maddie, who does not enjoy anything scary, left him with this advice: “Stop writing scary stories. Write about fairies or ponies.”

:cyclops:

Brice
08-18-2009, 03:45 AM
I think if King started out following her advice he'd end up with zombie fairies and rabid ponies. :lol:

lophophoras
08-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Zombie fairies. LOL...I'd read it.

:orely:

Room 217 Caretaker
08-18-2009, 04:42 AM
I think if King started out following her advice he'd end up with zombie fairies and rabid ponies. :lol:

Sounds like possible spoilers from Under the Dome :orely:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
08-18-2009, 04:51 AM

Nerak
08-18-2009, 05:27 AM
Hey Collectors/Dark Tower experts:

I have someone asking about lettered editions of the Dark Tower series.

Robert thinks that only The Gunslinger had lettered editions. Said fellow says that he has heard that there were lettered of DOTT and Wastelands.

Please, may I have your input on this.

Long days and pleasant nights!

Karen

Brice
08-18-2009, 05:31 AM
According to this (http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/drawing.html)
and this (http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/wastelands.html)there was a lettered DTII and III. I'm not sure though. The collector's site says the same. And so does stephenking.com http://www.stephenking.com/library/limited_edition/dark_tower:_the_drawing_of_the_three_the.html

e_taylor
08-18-2009, 05:40 AM
I've seen them referenced, but never for sale.

You would think even with their "rarity", they would still show up from time to time (such as those Night Shift and UK Gunslinger proofs that recently surfaced).

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say they don't exist.

Nerak
08-18-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm gonna have to check with Marsha to see if she got her info from Robert! LOL

Rahfa
08-18-2009, 06:20 AM
I've seen them referenced, but never for sale.

You would think even with their "rarity", they would still show up from time to time (such as those Night Shift and UK Gunslinger proofs that recently surfaced).

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say they don't exist.

I agree with that...I have never seen a 'lettered' DotT or Wastelands. And, Robert is the one who wrote in 'Artists Copy' on those editions, so he should know. If he doesn't know for sure, it's because he didn't write in the little letter - so I bet nobody did.

I think over 20+ years, it was just a rumor that became an assumption that became a fact...

Nerak
08-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Robert said he wasn't too sure, but doesn't think so...no real record was kept, i guess...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Everyone keeps quoting Tomas's site, but we know that info is wrong.

There were 52 lettered Gunslingers for instance. (And I want lettered AK)

Brice
08-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Everyone keeps quoting Tomas's site, but we know that info is wrong.

There were 52 lettered Gunslingers for instance. (And I want lettered AK)

I actually didn't know that. I just did a cursory search to see what I found.

thecollector
08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi guys,

The basic edition info for the first 4 DT books was taken from George Beahm's "Stephen King Collectibles an illustrated price guide". No one has e-mailed me with any contrary info on DT 2 & 3.

I put in an e-mail to Stu over at Betts Books. I figure if he hasn't seen one cross his door in all the years he's been selling SK books then we can say they probably don't exist.

On the lettered gunslinger I have heard the copies could be higher then 35 but I haven't been able to find any proof of 52, like a limitation sheet with AZ

On a related note, if anyone see's any inaccurate info on the site I realy want to know so I can make the appropriate changes. I'd sure hate to be giving out inaccurate info.
After all, the site was created before comunities like this were around and the info is there from many sources. It's possible there is misinformation out there. No site is immune to that, not even Stephen King's official site if it turns out there is no lettered edition.

thecollector
08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Stu says he has not seen a lettered DT-2 or DT-3 either.

It sounds like Rahfa is right

I agree with that...I have never seen a 'lettered' DotT or Wastelands. And, Robert is the one who wrote in 'Artists Copy' on those editions, so he should know. If he doesn't know for sure, it's because he didn't write in the little letter - so I bet nobody did.

I think over 20+ years, it was just a rumor that became an assumption that became a fact...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-18-2009, 11:43 AM
On the lettered gunslinger I have heard the copies could be higher then 35 but I haven't been able to find any proof of 52, like a limitation sheet with AZ

Here's a Lettered AH Gunslinger...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/dt_1_lettered.jpg

thecollector
08-18-2009, 12:12 PM
If the lettering was A - Z and AA-AZ that would be #34 With A-Z being 1-26

AA - 27
AB - 28
AC - 29
AD - 30
AE - 31
AF - 32
AG - 33
AH - 34
AI - 35

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-18-2009, 12:45 PM
If the lettering was A - Z and AA-AZ that would be #34 With A-Z being 1-26

There are 52 Lettered. Here's AY...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/DT1_SL_Lettered.JPG

thecollector
08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for that photo. I'll update the site to reflect 52 copies. If there's anything else you noticed that was off please let me know!

Rahfa
08-18-2009, 02:10 PM
George Beahm was off when he wrote his book...and that was nearly 10 years ago. Who knows where he got his info, but nobody ever had any reason to contradict him. It made sense - and it was like proving a negative, just because 'I' didn't own a lettered, there was no way to prove there wasn't such a thing in somebody else's bookcase.

Until just a few years ago, there really wasn't a community where people could compare notes (Usenet, I know, but it was never the same thing). So good to see the rumor debunked...haha...

I'm happy, though...I have an Author's Copy of DotT, and if there are no lettered copies, it's that much more valuable...haha...

Nerak
08-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I just came in here to say that Robert's sister owns AW (her initials) that's how he knows there is 52. LOL

Still waiting on an answe from Marsha about Dott and WL

Randall Flagg
08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
I just came in here to say that Robert's sister owns AW (her initials) that's how he knows there is 52. LOL

Still waiting on an answer from Marsha about Dott and WL
Why wait for her? After all, she's getting the info from here:thumbsup: Rahfa mentioned and Mr. Rabbit Trick etc. have shown..there are Lettered (presumed to be 52 on total) copies of DTI-The Gunslinger. Unitil there is reasonable proof of lettered's for DTII and DTIII, I think they don't exist.:orely:

Rahfa
08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Exactly...who's she going to ask? Robert?

If somebody posts a lettered edition I'll beleive it...but for now, the burden of proof is on those who say there ARE lettered, not that there are not.

Ari_Racing
08-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok, let's do the easiest step:

Bob? Hutch? Mike? :)

If none of them have a copy..then those edition don't exist! :)

turtlex
08-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Okay, I can settle this - everyone, send me your lettered copies. I'll compile a list and post it here...

... what? what? That's not going to work, is it? :blush:

Brice
08-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Pam, you can have ALL of my lettered copies of DTII and III. :couple:

Nerak
08-19-2009, 05:05 AM
What I was waiting for was where she got her information on the lettered editions, that's all. If it was info from Steve, Robert, the man in the moon...

Ari_Racing
08-19-2009, 05:21 AM
...if you believe they put a man on the moon ;)
(Love R.E.M.)

biomieg
08-19-2009, 05:40 AM
I have a question: the limitation page in the pictures in this thread says: "This special edition of The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger is limited to 500 copies, signed by the author and artist. This is copy [ lettered ]".

Does this mean that there are 500 copies, 448 of which are numbered and 52 are lettered? Or are there actually 552 copies and do the numbered and lettered editions only differ in, well, them being numbered or lettered?

jhanic
08-19-2009, 05:45 AM
552. 500 numbered and 52 lettered. (See the listing of the complete DT sets.)

John

Brice
08-19-2009, 05:45 AM
500 numbered copies+ lettered copies+author's, PCs, etc..

Rahfa
08-19-2009, 06:43 AM
What I was waiting for was where she got her information on the lettered editions, that's all. If it was info from Steve, Robert, the man in the moon...

What did Marsha believe in the first place? Was she the one saying there were lettereds, or there were not?

Actually, I'm surprised King's office cares much at all...to him, it would just be pages of his signature and then a few free author's copies in a box! Haha...Though, I guess he gets paid on the final number - and in 1987, maybe he cared!

Nerak
08-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Ok, here's the scoop:

Marsha got her information from Justin Brooks: Stephen King: A Primary Bibliography

She thought she ran the information by Robert. She may have and he may have missed it.

But, according to Robert, The Gunslinger was the only volume to have a lettered edition.

Marsha is going to correct on stephenking dot com and Justin will revise in his new book.

Thanks for all the help, Peeps!

I am going to try to merge this into collecting questions! LOL

biomieg
08-19-2009, 07:04 AM

John

Thanks, John!

(devil's advocate: so what you're actually saying is that 1) there is no intrinsic difference between the numbered and lettered states and 2) both states are therefore actually less valuable than they are reported to be because there are more than the stated 500 copies available...)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-19-2009, 07:53 AM
John is correct. It was quite common for the early Lettered editions to have the same signature page as the Numbered editions. Cujo and Christine spring to mind.

Rahfa
08-19-2009, 07:58 AM

John

Thanks, John!

(devil's advocate: so what you're actually saying is that 1) there is no intrinsic difference between the numbered and lettered states and 2) both states are therefore actually less valuable than they are reported to be because there are more than the stated 500 copies available...)

Well, I don't agree with the second part...there were always 552 copies available and I think that has always been known, despite the limitation page. And, lettereds are lettered, whether they're the same style or not - as the price for Cujo, Danse, and others attest. The question was more about II and III (and do I dare ask about IV? No lettereds there, either? Right?)

However, it does mean that there are fewer s/l copies of DotT and WL...so the owners of an "author's copy" or "artist's copy" have seen a monstrous increase in value...probably a 200 percent increase...and I'm not saying that just because I own one, noooo, not at all! Haha...

It's so funny that Marsha got her information from a bibliography that clearly made an assumption about lettered editions that was not based on fact at all. And yet, it showed up in print in numerous locations. You'd think they might have confirmed that with Grant Publishing at some point...you know, the SOURCE...sheesh...

Nerak
08-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Justin said he got the information from George Beahm! LOL It was kinda like a he said/she said type of thing! LOL

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
However, it does mean that there are fewer s/l copies of DotT and WL...so the owners of an "author's copy" or "artist's copy" have seen a monstrous increase in value...probably a 200 percent increase...and I'm not saying that just because I own one, noooo, not at all! Haha...

There's the same number of copies as there were last week/year, so no change in the value :)

biomieg
08-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Of course I was just goofing around guys... but I must admit that personally, I would not want to pay more for a lettered edition if it's identical to a numbered edition in all other aspects. But hey, this is coming from a collector who doesn't care about autographs either so don't pay too much attention to my ramblings.... ;)

Patrick
08-19-2009, 11:25 AM
...Robert's sister owns AW (her initials) that's how he knows there are 52. LOL
Aw, that's sweet!

spunsilver
08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I have a question that I've never found an answer for. My hardcover copy of Song of Susannah appears to have been bound upside down (that is, with the dust jacket off, the cover is upside down if you are reading the pages of the book).

I always laughed a bit, thinking it could have been an in-joke based on Roland turning the collector copy of 'Salems Lot upside down for easy finding in the previous book. But I'm curious to find out; could this actually mean anything, and does anyone else have a copy that is bound in the same way?

Rahfa
08-19-2009, 03:02 PM

There's the same number of copies as there were last week/year, so no change in the value :)

Ah - but there was an assumption there were at least 26 lettered copies that no longer exist...so in real terms, the inventory has dropped by that number...haha...

Obviosly, it's meaningless; the value hasn't changed at all...wishful thinking...haha...

I'm with Biomieg that lettered editions have never really excited me unless they're totally different editions, like Skeleton Crew for instance.

jhanic
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
It's a binding error. With the large printrun of this edition (about 650,000) errors are bound (no pun intended!) to happen. There are some people out there that collect these type of errors. It doesn't really add anything to the value of the book for most collectors, except as an oddity.

By the way, spunsilver, welcome to the boards. Feel free to contribute any time!

John

herbertwest
08-20-2009, 07:57 AM

Ah - but there was an assumption there were at least 26 lettered copies that no longer exist...so in real terms, the inventory has dropped by that number...haha...

Obviosly, it's meaningless; the value hasn't changed at all...wishful thinking...haha...

I'm with Biomieg that lettered editions have never really excited me unless they're totally different editions, like Skeleton Crew for instance.

what are the differences between the numbered and lettered of Skeleton?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-20-2009, 10:07 AM
what are the differences between the numbered and lettered of Skeleton?

The signature pages are the same, but the books are totally different.
http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/skeleton_1.jpg

Patrick
08-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Welcome, spunsilver! Please join in.

By the way, once you hit 5 posts, more member privileges will open to you.

(In a bit, we'll merge this into the Collectible Questions thread. Thanks.)

Ari_Racing
08-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Isn't that the zipped edition?

Rahfa
08-20-2009, 06:37 PM
The zipped is the lettered edition...

Nerak
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know of an appraisal service where I could email them a list of the books I have and they can give me pricing?

I wonder if they would take the opinion of you guys? LOL

NeedfulKings
08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Karen..I don't know about appraisals....

I just saw the marquee on Donald. I missed this earlier. :(

Is the business done?:(

sleeplessdwarf
08-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Keeping the thread going, as I would assume his passing does not end his company. I would be interested in an appraiser. As I have said, I do not plan to sell any of my books/art, but it would be nice to know a round about # for worth. Example, what would you guys give for a PC signed #d copy of Insomnia with its leather case? All my books will be left to one child but it would be nice to know ahead the worth.

Nerak
08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Karen..I don't know about appraisals....

I just saw the marquee on Donald. I missed this earlier. :(

Is the business done?:(

not done :)

Patrick
08-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Here is the thread for discussing Donald M. Grant (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=433066#).

Good luck with the appraiser, Karen!

turtlex
08-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Karen - I guess it would depend on the insurance company, but perhaps someone who owns a rare book store would be considered an appraiser ( Hutch comes to mind, as he has an established site ). Some places will also take the previous sales of a book and average them.

Good luck!

wizardsrainbow
08-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Years ago, Stu did me a similar service at Betts.

Brice
08-25-2009, 03:30 AM
I found this http://www.booksappraised.com/

I don't know if that's quite what you're looking for though.

Nerak
08-25-2009, 05:25 AM
I think I am going to go with Stu. He's well established and such and pretty much as much of a King expert as there can be! LOL

Mayhap I will ask Hutch as well and get two. Can't hurt, right!

Thanks for the advice!

turtlex
08-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Actually, the insurance people or whomever might request 2, so it's always good to have more than one lined up. Good luck.

Nerak
08-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah, well, it's not that I am insuring my collection, I actually don't have my collection anymore.

I posted something in the facilitators thread...

The storage unit where I had my collection was sold without my knowledge.

I have obtained a lawyer and they have notified their insurance company. If we are going to be "fairly compensated" than I need to try to compile a list of what I remember could be in there! UGH! (my memory is horrible and pics of my book cases are included in the things I no longer own).

So, I am going to be wracking my brain trying to remember what I owned and in what state. Thank god I only owned a couple of s/l so I remember those! LOL

But it's gone. I have to start over from ground zero and rebuild (on no money) what someone took from me.

I am seriously hoping to STICK IT THE FUCK to the storage place. I found a claim where someone was paid $250,000 for the storage place not putting their name on the notice in the paper that their unit was being auctioned. So, there's hope!!

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-25-2009, 07:32 AM
A tip for all:

I video all the items in my house yearly, and send a copy to my insurance company. No argument over any claim then.

I may be a good idea to do that for a book collection. It's much easier nowadays as you can send them a CD, DVD or flash disk.

turtlex
08-25-2009, 07:33 AM
$250,000 doesn't seem enough for all you've lost... all the heartache. I'm very sorry.

Nerak
08-25-2009, 08:05 AM
I never thought that I would have to prove my ownership. And I don't have insurance so it wouldn't have mattered on that aspect.

Thanks Pam, i agree. The thing that's killing me the most is family pictures, original birth certificates, kids memory boxes, hand made christening gown. Stuff that she SHOULD have returned that she hasn't and says she doesn't have!!!!

lophophoras
08-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Yeah, well, it's not that I am insuring my collection, I actually don't have my collection anymore.

I posted something in the facilitators thread...

The storage unit where I had my collection was sold without my knowledge.

I have obtained a lawyer and they have notified their insurance company. If we are going to be "fairly compensated" than I need to try to compile a list of what I remember could be in there! UGH! (my memory is horrible and pics of my book cases are included in the things I no longer own).

So, I am going to be wracking my brain trying to remember what I owned and in what state. Thank god I only owned a couple of s/l so I remember those! LOL

But it's gone. I have to start over from ground zero and rebuild (on no money) what someone took from me.

I am seriously hoping to STICK IT THE FUCK to the storage place. I found a claim where someone was paid $250,000 for the storage place not putting their name on the notice in the paper that their unit was being auctioned. So, there's hope!!

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

><

OMG Karen.

That really sux. I really hate to hear that.

I wish you luck with this. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the storage unit gets what they have coming. And that you get what you deserve in compensation.

biomieg
08-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Good luck Karen, in sorting out this awful situation!

biomieg
08-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Guys, I noticed on Mr. Rabbit Trick's website that there are two states of the UK Rose Madder trade HC, one with black endpapers and one with illustrated endpapers:

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/rose_1.jpghttp://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/rose_2.jpg

I was wondering which of the states is the least common one? I received the one with the illustrated endpapers today.

Nerak
08-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks! If it's a good settlement..it will mean a new car for hubby and probably a better place to live! LOL The collection, well, it will have to be bought later! LOL

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Guys, I noticed on Mr. Rabbit Trick's website that there are two states of the UK Rose Madder trade HC, one with black endpapers and one with illustrated endpapers:

I was wondering which of the states is the least common one? I received the one with the illustrated endpapers today.

The black endpapers is the rarest.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-25-2009, 09:39 AM
From Barry Levin website:

On October 22, 2004, Michael Anft provided details on his unique experience with Stephen King's Hodder & Stoughton edition of Rose Madder prior to the book's official publication:

The TRUE first edition of Rose Madder differs from the one generally believed to be the first edition in that it has black endpapers (not rose) and doesn't feature the picture of Insomnia on the inner flap.
When I saw one of these in a collection I recently purchased, I had forgotten that I had received (and sold) ten copies of this TRUE first edition as early as Tuesday, April 4, 1995. I bought these ten copies of the book from the rep who supplied my proofs, etc. This, I imagine, was WELL before the book was actually published.
Some of those who purchased the book from me asked for a written confirmation of its early status. At the time I supplied a signed (by me) "To Whom It May Concern" letter, stating the following:

This is to confirm that 10 copies of the first Hodder & Stoughton printing of the cased edition of Stephen King's novel, "Rose Madder", were received by Michael Anft on Tuesday the 4th of April, 1995.
I don't recall when Rose Madder was actually published, but to have made as big a meal of it as I did, means that the copies I bought from the rep must have been bought very, very early. I was delighted when I found this item in the collection, as I hadn't kept one for myself.

biomieg
08-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks Mr. RT :)

herbertwest
08-25-2009, 10:14 AM
it's really fucking unfair.
Sue them well and makes em sweat!

Randall Flagg
08-25-2009, 10:21 AM
The man with the answers:clap:

Nerak
08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
trying to

jhanic
08-25-2009, 11:33 AM
I've got one of the ones with the black endpapers for less than $65 back in 2004. These occasionally show up for sale by sellers on eBay who don't know what they have. The only way is to ask them. I've heard (but I don't remember where) that approximately 2000 copies were done.

John

Merlin1958
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow!!! that really sucks. I'm not a lawyer but I have had experience in these matters. Establishing ownership will be a bitch w/o photo or written record of purchase. Quotes for replacement should suffice but, again you have to establish ownership. Without knowing intimate details of your case your best bet would seem to be a settlement which I realize will be a sorry compromise.

Best of luck to you!!!!!!! Sorry for your loss

Gris
08-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Karen, that really sucks. That's a horrible situation to be in :(

Nerak
08-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys! It sucks major big time!

super sam
08-25-2009, 02:34 PM

The black endpapers is the rarest.

Just checked my copy,and it have black endpapers. :)

Ricky
08-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Quick question that I've been wondering for awhile. My first/first copy of Delores Claiborne has a euro (I believe it's the euro...or pound) price at the bottom DJ flap that says "export only". Is this a true American first? It's got all the other identifiers so I'm a bit confused.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Quick question that I've been wondering for awhile. My first/first copy of Delores Claiborne has a euro (I believe it's the euro...or pound) price at the bottom DJ flap that says "export only". Is this a true American first? It's got all the other identifiers so I'm a bit confused.

I think you answered your own question.

It will be a 1st/1st intended for the export market.

Patrick
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
As you know, Karen, I'm rooting for you.

herbertwest
08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Can I ask some proofs value?

o a signed uncorrected proof of bones?
o a signed uncorrected proof of needful things

jhanic
08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Can I ask some proofs value?

o a signed uncorrected proof of bones?
o a signed uncorrected proof of needful things

Are they US or UK proofs? Makes a big difference.

King endorsed and signed a special run of the US Bag of Bones proof, addressed to about 100 independent booksellers here. These run in the $250-300 range.

A King signature in a US proof should add about $100-150 to the value of the proof, depending on the proof. If it's a DT proof, value goes up even more.

John

Ari_Racing
08-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Oh. What a horrible situation :(

Keeping my fingers crossed you can solve this!

Nerak
08-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks Peeps.. :grouphug:

herbertwest
08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Both are US.

Btw, noone here have a arc of the french Bag of Bones? i only know of one and am desperately look for one. It have a copy of the US (?) letter on the cover.

sarah
08-26-2009, 08:46 PM
nerak, screw the fucking storage unit to bankruptcy!!! I hope they burn for what they did to you and your family.

on a better note, I'm keeping you i my pocket until further notice. :couple:

jhanic
08-27-2009, 06:07 AM
I got my advance copy of the UK paperback edition of Just After Sunset and discovered it's a lot larger than the normal mass market paperback. I've scanned it (along with my copy of Long Walk--it's the one that I grabbed first, no other reason) to show the difference in size. Is this going to be standard for the UK paperbacks now or is it just a one-time thing?

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_items/UKPaperbacksize.jpg

John

Nerak
08-27-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm in Sarah's pocket, I'm in Sarah's pocket!!!!!! :rock::rock::rock:

That made me a little happy! lol

Bev Vincent
08-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Some of the US publishers are going to this taller format paperback, too. They say one reason they're doing this is so they can make the fonts slightly larger for the aging population!

Cloysterpete
08-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Thats the standard size for UK paperbacks, has been for a couple of years, the term B-Format pb springs to mind from somewhere but I could be wrong about that. Most publishers have adopted it, except a few like Harper Collins (Dean Koontz). I hate it, just another way to jack the price of a lengthy novel up from £7.99 to £8.99 :pullhair:

jhanic
08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
The price listed on my Just After Sunset is £7.99.

John

Cloysterpete
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
The price listed on my Just After Sunset is £7.99.

John

Aye, it would be. It's not lengthy you see, only 400 pages or something aint it, medium size :P.

Long novels like Dan Simmons The Terror always sit at rrp£8.99 with this new format, now i'm not saying a quality read isn't worth it but I know the same length novels were £7.99 then suddenly gained a quid when they were published in this format. Compare the price to the mass market Koontz, all in standard format and all have £6.99 rrp, even new releases like Frankenstein 3. Sunset would be £6.99 if Harper Collins published it.

Greedy publishers, spouting clap-trap about these releases being better for old folks.

*deep breath*
Right thats my rant over, crap like this is just really annoying, a lot of people won't notice the stealth price increases but when you buy as many mass-market pb as I do you sure do notice!.

Fsmdr
08-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Anyone own a Danse Macabre broadside?. Was wondering if it's signed by King and if it's the same size as Letters From Hell broadside?. Also the market value of one. Appreciate any input.

carlosdetweiller
08-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Anyone own a Danse Macabre broadside?. Was wondering if it's signed by King and if it's the same size as Letters From Hell broadside?. Also the market value of one. Appreciate any input.

They are not signed and are a little smaller than the Letters From Hell broadsides. I can get exact dimensions if you wish. Market value? I don't recall seeing one for sale for quite a while. I'd guess in the $50 to $75 range.

Fsmdr
08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks Bob. Betts have one for sale for $100. I would have bought it if it was signed by King.

Nerak
08-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Ok, here's a question to pose to all y'all. Just talked to my lawyer, he wants to know what kinda dollar amount from the insurance company it's going to take to get me to go away. I asked him what he thought and he said he was thinking putting $7,000 to them and thinking we might get $4,000. And he thinks the buyer may be receptive to us going to her house to take what she hasn't sold.
MMMM, My problem is..what has she sold..what about all the stress that my family and I have been through in these past two months. I know we aren't going before a judge and jury, but I am thinking they owe us ALOT more than $4,000!!!!!

What would u do???

turtlex
08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Personally, Karen, that seems like a low amount, especially given the value of your signed books and all the King stuff really. I would tell your lawyer that you'll take 10,000 with seven going to you and three to him/her.

I wouldn't accept their first offer.

Nerak
08-31-2009, 02:20 PM
He (the lawyer) has actually not given me a price. He's done most of it not billed. I am thinking I want no less than $50,000!!!! Two months of heartache and pain and frustration.... Worth more than $4000!!!

Eric719691
08-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Can I ask you experts what the Gerald's Game Advanced Read Copy is valued at? Thanks.

jhanic
08-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Which one? The ABA hardcover with cardboard slipcase or the regular ARC? I assume you mean the US versions.

John

Eric719691
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Which one? The ABA hardcover with cardboard slipcase or the regular ARC? I assume you mean the US versions.

John

Sorry, just realized that I did not put all of the information in the first post. I am asking about the ABA hardcover with cardboard slipcase.

Thanks,
Eric

jhanic
08-31-2009, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't pay more than about $100 for it if it is in mint condition. They are fairly common. (I've heard about 2000 were done.)

John

Eric719691
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't pay more than about $100 for it if it is in mint condition. They are fairly common. (I've heard about 2000 were done.)

John

Thanks John.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-31-2009, 09:59 PM

John

Thanks John.

The last one I saw on ebay went unsold at $75.

shnnrc01
08-31-2009, 11:52 PM
$75 is about right,i bought mine for $55.

turtlex
09-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I think it's sort of typical that a lawyer take 30-40% of a settlement... but you probably should have decided that before hand ( it should be in your contract ).

If you want more - hold out for more. Honestly, only you can decide what your stuff is worth. You take your lawyers advice, but you decide.

Gather some supporting documentation, and then stand up for what you want.

lophophoras
09-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Can I ask you experts what the Gerald's Game Advanced Read Copy is valued at? Thanks.

I paid $65 for a mint copy a couple of years ago when the SK market was really hot.

jhanic
09-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Here's one offered by Shibus (Greg) for $250--and worth it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Geralds-Game-ABA-ARC-1-2000-Signed_W0QQitemZ190331687810QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Fiction_Books?hash=item2c50a71382&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It's been actually signed by King (and reinscribed) on the "signed" page!

John

Nerak
09-01-2009, 05:41 AM
The whole thing is, he says if it ends up going to court..it may take a year or more to get there and be very expensive. He's not willing to work all that time and wait for payment! LOL He's doing this for me now cause he's pissed at the storage company! LOL

I think I will high ball it! My stress being high for the last two months is worth a hell of a lot more than $4000!!!!!

Randall Flagg
09-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Definitely don't see that one too often actually signed by King. In fact it's the first one I have ever seen.

Randall Flagg
09-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Take your lawyers advice. That's what you have an attorney for.

Nerak
09-01-2009, 06:55 AM
RF, $4000! If we are suing them to make them pay attention if they ever decided to fuck someone else over, what's the point????

If the buyer has already sold some of my "non-replaceable" items, am I supposed to say, oh, ok, well, I got $4000 for that, not a problem!!!

They have lied and lied and hid things these entire two months, not just from me, but from their lawyer as well.

What kind of business is that? A crappy one!!!

I want to smack them down! Not pat them on the bum and put them in timeout!!!!

Brice
09-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Hmm...I sorta' agree with Jerome, but I also see where you're coming from Karen. $4,000 does seem low to me, but honestly $50,000 seems a bit high (bear in mind I don't know exactly what all you had in there). In these sort of things though my opinion is basically aim high and see what they offer.

I basically had the opposite experience with the people who run the storage I use. My stuff (a whole trailer full of stuff) has been in there for a little more than three years. At times when money was tight I'd be as long as six months behind on payments. They had every right to sell all my stuff, but were good and kind enough not to do so. At one point I was so far behind that I'd basically given up and was depressed. I didn't even call or go see them for a few months. Still they held everything for me.

Darkmaniscoming
09-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Jesus Christ...this is disgusting.
Any time you enter the legal world it is a bloody nuisance.
Lawyers are crooks, period.
Be careful you dont throw good money after bad.
Try to find someone who believes in your case pro bono.
Otherwise it could be a very long and hard, mind numbing experience.
I wish you the best of luck Karen.

turtlex
09-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Karen - Your best bet is to make a list of what you lost - the stuff you can actually put a price on, that is. Then, add everything up. Come up with a fair figure and see what happens.

Nerak
09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I have the list, just waiting on Stu to get back to me on an appraisal of my collection

Brice,I know $50000 sounds high, but I want them to tell me what is the highest they will pay to get rid of me!
And nice people you store with! Where can I find them??? LOL

Brice
09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
All you have to do is drive to NC. I will introduce you to them. :couple:

Nerak
09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
OK!! Be down as soon as I get my stuff back! :lol:

Cutter
09-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Sucks to hear about this Karen, hopefully things work out in the end.

Nerak
09-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks G!

carlosdetweiller
09-01-2009, 11:32 AM

I would agree with that. My daughter and son-in-law moved to Charlotte a couple of years ago. I have visited a few times and am always impressed with the people who live there. We Texans like to think of ourselves as friendly and I think for the most part we are. But the folks in NC additionally have a degree of common courtesy and civility that is sorely lacking in other parts of the country. It's always refreshing for me to experience NC and be reminded of how people used to be.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Karen. Best of luck to you in resolving your storage issues.

Nerak
09-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks Daddy.

I am awaiting a call from the buyer of the unit as we speak. She is willing to talk to us and meet us at a neutral spot to give us stuff back. Don't know what she still has, don't know what she is willing to give to us. But my lawyer sounds hopeful.

I just priced everything and without my King collection (and a couple of Hill books that were in there) the price tag so far is $7000. So if my lawyer things I am being compensated for $4000, it ain't happenin!!!!!

Rahfa
09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Jesus Christ...this is disgusting.
Any time you enter the legal world it is a bloody nuisance.
Lawyers are crooks, period.
Be careful you dont throw good money after bad.
Try to find someone who believes in your case pro bono.
Otherwise it could be a very long and hard, mind numbing experience.
I wish you the best of luck Karen.

Lawyers aren't crooks. They are the people you pay to be on your side when other people try to screw you. A lawyer wouldn't do a case like this pro bono, and why should they? It's a cut-and-dry civil case, and they're working for their fee.

What is the estimated dollar value of the items you lost? Take that figure and triple it. That's your first settlement offer, and negotiate down from there.

If it's actually $50K? Great, there you go. But you have to actually be "damaged" and it has to be provable damage, not just some random, high figure. Fight hard, but fight realistically.

If this lawyer isn't down with that, then find another lawyer - but a free lawyer is worth every penny you'll pay, if you get my meaning.

Also - I can't really grasp what happened...who are you going to sue? Her, or the storage place?

shnnrc01
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM
jeez,karen this is a real mess,sorry for your troubles girl. i was always taught never accept the 1st or 2nd offer but take the 3rd. but always remember no matter what any lawyer or dt member says,these are not only your personal items but memories that go along with them, how you got a sig on such a book and what you had to go thru to get a certain limited book or to even more personal family items,make sure you and hubby are happy with the offer being put to you.if not:dog with a bone girl!

herbertwest
09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
I seriously hope that you'll get a good agreement Karen.

Dont give up, you lost lots of irreplacable things and personal documents.

Did any of your unique item (apparently you had some) appeared for sale somewhere online? I guess they wouldnt be stupid enough to do that, but who knows?

Ari_Racing
09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm positive you'll get back a lot of things, hon. Good luck!!! :)

wizardsrainbow
09-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I like Rahfa's idea. Take the true value and triple it. They do that sort of thing in tobacco lawsuits.

Gris
09-02-2009, 05:38 AM
This is something I'm curious about...

At least in Real Estate, leases are legal binding documents that are transferred with a property when it's sold. If the new owner wants to terminate the lease, compensation must be made to the leasee.

Why is this situation different? Didn't the original owner of the storage unit keep records and contact information about those renting the units? You already said the add he placed made no mention of the facilities name. Was this place so large that he wan unable to attempt to contact all renters?

Wouldn't it also be the new owners responsibility to go through said records and also attempt to make contact before claiming ownership of all items within?

Seems to me that both the new owner and the original owner are at equal fault and should both be involved in this case.

Nerak
09-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Ok, so here's what's going on right now.

We are going to meet witht he buyer tomorrow and she is giving us back everything that she hasn't sold yet.

She has said that she has my SK collection (we shall see how much) and a bunch of other stuff. She said a pickup truck full. Bear in mind, it was a 10 x 15 unit and the entire floor space was covered and stacked 3 - 4 boxes high, so there's a lot of stuff NOT there anymore.

Lost all kids toys and baby stuff. Don't know about any furniture that was in there. But getting back legal documents, more photos and my books!! PHEW!!! We shall see tomorrow what she has.

Nathan, I like your suggestion. I think I am going to go with that.

Hugs to all and thanks for the advice and good wishes!

Ari, it looks like you were right!!!

:grouphug:

Brice
09-02-2009, 07:06 AM

I would agree with that. My daughter and son-in-law moved to Charlotte a couple of years ago. I have visited a few times and am always impressed with the people who live there. We Texans like to think of ourselves as friendly and I think for the most part we are. But the folks in NC additionally have a degree of common courtesy and civility that is sorely lacking in other parts of the country. It's always refreshing for me to experience NC and be reminded of how people used to be.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Karen. Best of luck to you in resolving your storage issues.

I'm at the southern part of the state...down below Fayetteville, but if you're ever passing through it would be great to meet you, Bob. I moved here about a dozen or so years ago (actually I came to visit for a week and just stayed) and overall I'd have to agree with your assessment of the people here.

Karen, congrats on getting at least some of your stuff back.

shnnrc01
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
well,thats brightened up your day a bit karen! hope it turns out as good as you're hoping.fingers(and legs) crossed.

herbertwest
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
so in the end she lied and have/ had all of the stuff...

Patrick
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Good luck tomorrow, Karen! Looking forward to hearing that your most important irreplaceable items (photo albums, etc.) are back in your possession.

Ari_Racing
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
:) That's a good news! Good luck tomorrow!! PLease keep us posted!

Nerak
09-02-2009, 05:05 PM

She didn't lie, the storage place, that said they contacted her but didn't, lied!!!!

She has not heard (supposedly) since the week after the auction!!

It was them that said she didn't have any more personal stuff!!!

Bastardos!!!!!

I shall let you know how tomorrow goes. Meeting at noon. Hoping to get it done quick and get back here in time to get the kids off the bus.

Now, to figure out where to put it! LOL

wizardsrainbow
09-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Good luck Karen!

biomieg
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
I wish you good luck Karen; it seems as if things are already working out better than expected!!! Keep us updated!

herbertwest
09-03-2009, 02:55 AM

She didn't lie, the storage place, that said they contacted her but didn't, lied!!!!

She has not heard (supposedly) since the week after the auction!!

It was them that said she didn't have any more personal stuff!!!

Bastardos!!!!!

I shall let you know how tomorrow goes. Meeting at noon. Hoping to get it done quick and get back here in time to get the kids off the bus.

Now, to figure out where to put it! LOL

A company to avoid then...

Nerak
09-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Storage Direct parent company Platinum Storage

turtlex
09-03-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Karen!

herbertwest
09-03-2009, 08:18 AM
The Dark Tower - The Dark Tower - H&S - UK:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4646/stephenkingdtforumdeel4g.jpg

I dont remember seeing a copy with rainbow colors in the title... ???
could it be a variant printing?

Ari_Racing
09-03-2009, 08:27 AM
No, it's the light effect.

It's silver.

Ricky
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
That cover is amazing. :drool:

jhanic
09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
One of the reasons I like the covers of the Hodder & Stoughton Dark Tower series (ignoring their first four initial issues) is that the Tower gets progressively larger as the books progress. In their re-issue of DTI, the Tower is fairly small. Above is, of course, DTVII.

John

SkippyD023
09-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I think this is the right place to ask this question...

Seeing the Dark Tower cover from H&S and many of their other SK covers I would really like to try and start adding some of the H&S books to my collection. Now the question - Where is the best/cheapest place to pick up some of these books? Besides checking e-bay all the time are there other websites here (U.S.) that sell the books, to save on shipping? To get the new books (Under The Dome, Just After Sunset, etc..) is Amazon.UK the best place to buy them from when they first come out? My guess is that shipping overseas is a big cost in picking up these books. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nerak
09-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Ok, met her at 12:30 in Target parking lot.

Got back, what looks to be, my entire King collection; my Joe Hill Chaps; the christening gown, glasses from my proms; the bottom part of the bunk bed, my papers out of the filing cabinet, a bear that I wanted back..and some other stuff.

Still missing: my kids memory boxes and books, my daughter's porcelain dolls, at least one photo album, family history books and a few other things.

I'd like to see te insurance company put a price on that stuff!!!

Patrick
09-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Glad to hear about what was returned. Sorry to hear about what appears to be lost.

You're still in my pocket.

jhanic
09-03-2009, 05:37 PM
I get all my new UK King hardcovers from Amazon.co.uk. As far as the others, if you're interested in first editions, eBay is probably your best choice. You should know, however, the ways of identifying first editions, which is not easy. I don't know of a source that provides this information. One help, though, is:

http://www.redeem.freeserve.co.uk/Kingbookpages/

John

jhanic
09-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Karen, I'm glad you got back a lot of stuff that you treasure. That means a lot, I know!

John

wizardsrainbow
09-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Well, you were sure ALL was lost, now some treasures have been returned. Count your blessings and I hope you get more.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Insurance companies don't pay out for sentimental value.

If photo albums were destroyed in a fire, they would only pay for the replacement of the albums. i.e a few bucks.

Stinks, but not much can be done.

Nerak
09-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Yeah, well, I am fighting! LOL

I just realized that my signed Harry Potter wasn't in the boxes :( That was a $600 book on ebay :( Now I am sad all over again!

We shall see what happens. No word from the insurance company yet.

Thanks peeps for the thoughts and pockets!

I will be cataloging and taking pics of the collection this weekend, so y'all will be able to see what I actually own, for once! LOL

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I will be cataloging and taking pics of the collection this weekend, so y'all will be able to see what I actually own, for once! LOL

Looking forward to that. :excited:

Nerak
09-04-2009, 08:19 AM
LOL!! I am not! There's a lot of stuff, well, A lot of stuff for me anyway. And not a lot of room to do it in, but I want to try to pack it back into as few boxes as possible, so I think that will mean emptying all of them, sorting and then pics and repacking!

Good long weekend project! LOL

frik
09-04-2009, 11:46 AM
To get the new books (Under The Dome, Just After Sunset, etc..) is Amazon.UK the best place to buy them from when they first come out? My guess is that shipping overseas is a big cost in picking up these books. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would think so.
I regularly get my new US editions from Amazon.com (as I live in Europe) and the cost for shipping/handling is quite reasonable. Usually less than books I obtain through eBay.

I also order from Amazon.co.uk, and obviously their cost is even less.
I'd say, go for it!

sk

pixiedark76
09-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I got this book in a used book store. It is The Talisman and it is signed by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

http://i26.tinypic.com/x0pn2s.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/24o7t5x.jpg

It is a paperback copy. I am wondering how much this would be worth?

Randall Flagg
09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
pixie, as this is a question, I merged it into the Collecting Questions thread.:couple:

carlosdetweiller
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM
I got this book in a used book store. It is The Talisman and it is signed by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

It is a paperback copy. I am wondering how much this would be worth?

Not so much. Those signatures are printed along with the picture. They are not actually signed by the authors. It is a fairly common mistake that sellers make with that particular edition.

Rusher
09-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I think this is the right place to ask this question...

Seeing the Dark Tower cover from H&S and many of their other SK covers I would really like to try and start adding some of the H&S books to my collection. Now the question - Where is the best/cheapest place to pick up some of these books? Besides checking e-bay all the time are there other websites here (U.S.) that sell the books, to save on shipping? To get the new books (Under The Dome, Just After Sunset, etc..) is Amazon.UK the best place to buy them from when they first come out? My guess is that shipping overseas is a big cost in picking up these books. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi...Just thought I would throw my two cents in. If you go to the regular US Amazon site they usually have around 5 or 6 pages of UK books. If you are searching "books" you just click on "advanced search" and then put Stephen Kings name in the author field then skip down to the publisher field and put Hodder Stoughton ( I usually leave the "&" mark out ) and then go over to the binding drop down menu and click on Hardcover. It will bring up all the SK hardcover books published by H&S. I have literally ordered dozens of UK first editions from that site and only got the wrong book once....lol

Alot of times the descriptions aren't clear, but its easy to ask questions of the sellers there as well and you can also request pictures. I just always check there first when looking for something because the shipping is usually just the 3.99. Hope that helps !!

mae
09-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Or just search Amazon.com using the ISBN for the UK book, or go straight to Amazon.co.uk. I've bought many things from various international Amazons and the shipping is not that exorbitant.

gsvec
09-05-2009, 09:17 PM
So happy to hear you got a good chunk of it back, Karen. Sending goodmind for the rest!

Nerak
09-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks G!

turtlex
09-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Karen - gosh, this whole episode is so difficult, I know. Given that you thought everything was lost, you should take a few minutes to absorb the fact that you got some very personal and valuable items back. Way more than you'd thought possible when this whole thing started.

I'm truly sorry about all your lost items, but I'm thrilled about you getting some of your things back! :grouphug:

Nerak
09-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Thanks Pam. I would trade the entire SK book collection for all my personal stuff back. I can never replace my family history albums, my kids memory boxes with their hospital bracelets and hair from their first haircuts. It's strange that she keeps the book collection and ditches the personal stuff. :(

Sir_Boomme
09-06-2009, 05:31 AM
well, just read this entire thread...
first of all, i'm turning karen over my knee and paddling her for putting stephen king in storage!

now that THAT's done...
karen, sorry you're going through this- what i've seen in cases like this unfortunately ... when items in storage units,apartments/houses, or repo'd cars are confiscated - the personal items like pictures, memory boxes, etc (things that have value only to the orginal owner) are usually thrown in the trash as soon as the law allows (many times sooner). only the goods that might be resold are kept.
sadly, i have a feeling the city dump is where all those things you treasured most are.

it saddens me deeply you'll probably never see these items again. i'd be devastated.
i'm glad you got back some of your items... but jeez, what a bummer.

and a $4000.00 settlement ?... wouldn't cover the top shelf of one of my bookcases.
my opinion, the lawyer is obviously not really looking out for your best interest... just looking to settle quickly .
:cry: :couple:

Dolan
09-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks Pam. I would trade the entire SK book collection for all my personal stuff back. I can never replace my family history albums, my kids memory boxes with their hospital bracelets and hair from their first haircuts. It's strange that she keeps the book collection and ditches the personal stuff. :(

That's exactly what I thought K...

Aye... I'm thinking of you my love

Rahfa
09-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Did she ever have them? What was the chain of ownership you're stuff supposedly went through before ending up in her hands?

Nerak
09-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Nathan, it was in the unit, they cut the lock, took pictures (which I haven't gotten) did "inventory" (which consisted of them checking off baby stuff and radio on an inventory sheet, put their lock back on it. On the day of auction, they opened it for the buyer to see it. It was sold and the buyer had 48 hours to clear it out. They had it cleaned out by the end of the weekend. SO they had everything in the unit.

Terry, the rules of the auction house (which the buyer went through, are they have 10 days to return all personal items) which they didn't do. And thanks for spanking me, I quite enjoyed it. And when you go from a three bedroom mobile, to a 4 bedroom apt to a VERY SMALL three bedroom apt, something needs to go into storage. My choice was the books, since I couldn't put the kid in there!!! lol

As for my lawyer, he's working for free, cause he's pissed at the storage company! But if he's pissed, he should be fighting for me! right????

Kenny, my love, Thanks!

herbertwest
09-06-2009, 03:38 PM
For the Illustrations Catalog :

o DOLORES CLAIBORNE, ARC : US one (?) is illustrated (http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-ARC-Dolores-Claiborne-by-Stephen-King-TPB-1992_W0QQitemZ250333924715QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item3a49108d6b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
the UK edition is illustrated... but didnt know about the american one?

o GERALD'S GAME : the american proof (ABA) is apparently illustrated by Bill Russell. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Geralds-Game-Stephen-King-Limited-ed-ABA_W0QQitemZ280385515210QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fic tion_Books?hash=item4148476eca&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

if anyone have some pictures/ scans of the illustrations to share, it would be nice :-)

Dolan
09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Herbert - I just checked both books (US editions) and I didn't see any illustrations. I did go through them fairly quick, though.

jhanic
09-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I'll have to check my copies, but I don't remember any illustrations in either edition.

John

Randall Flagg
09-06-2009, 04:17 PM

o DOLORES CLAIBORNE, ARC : US one (?) is illustrated (http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-ARC-Dolores-Claiborne-by-Stephen-King-TPB-1992_W0QQitemZ250333924715QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item3a49108d6b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

o GERALD'S GAME : the american proof (ABA) is apparently illustrated by Bill Russell. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Geralds-Game-Stephen-King-Limited-ed-ABA_W0QQitemZ280385515210QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fic tion_Books?hash=item4148476eca&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

if anyone have some pictures/ scans of the illustrations to share, it would be nice :-)
I love additional info.
The Us edition of Dolores Claiborne as well as Gerald's Game have rather intricate black and white artwork, similar to a woodblock engraving. This follows the Copyright and intro page.The Catalog will be corrected to reflect that:
Both copies have a map showing Maine and the path of total solar eclipse having occurred July 20, 1963. (Interesting).

Artist: Bill Russell.
Jacket design by Neil Stuart. Jacket illustrations by Rob Wood; Stansbury, Rosanville , Wood Inc. Title lettering by Brian Thomas Merrill.
Publisher: Viking
Chapter breaks also feature small pictures (B&W) of a woodblock picture style.

Note: Not from the book itself:
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/3139/dctotalsolareclipse.jpg

herbertwest
09-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Herbert - I just checked both books (US editions) and I didn't see any illustrations. I did go through them fairly quick, though.

yeah, but the proofs maybe? and then wasnt used? dunno. i asked the sellers anyway

Dolan
09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I checked the Dolores US proof and the Gerald's ABA edition. No illustrations...

Rahfa
09-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, but a pissed lawyer working for free is quite a bit less effective than a calm, objective lawyer working a payday.

herbertwest
09-06-2009, 04:27 PM
hmm ok

Dolan
09-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I checked the Dolores US proof and the Gerald's ABA edition. No illustrations...

But it DOES have the "artwork" that Randall has detailed above. I didn't really think of that as illustration - so my apologies.

herbertwest
09-06-2009, 07:35 PM

I love additional info.
The Us edition of Dolores Claiborne as well as Gerald's Game have rather intricate black and white artwork, similar to a woodblock engraving. This follows the Copyright and intro page.The Catalog will be corrected to reflect that:
Both copies have a map showing Maine and the path of total solar eclipse having occurred July 20, 1963. (Interesting).

Artist: Bill Russell.
Jacket design by Neil Stuart. Jacket illustrations by Rob Wood; Stansbury, Rosanville , Wood Inc. Title lettering by Brian Thomas Merrill.
Publisher: Viking
Chapter breaks also feature small pictures (B&W) of a woodblock picture style.

Note: Not from the book itself:
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/3139/dctotalsolareclipse.jpg

thanks.
can u please update the catalog? can u take pix?

Nerak
09-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I know, but when you are broke, you kinda take what you can get! LOL He said that I am free to seek other counsel. I am waiting to hear what their insurance company has to offer before I do anything else.

turtlex
09-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Karen - Gosh, for sure nothing can replace those personal things that you lost. :couple: I'm just glad you got something back.

Sir_Boomme
09-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Terry, the rules of the auction house (which the buyer went through, are they have 10 days to return all personal items) which they didn't do. And thanks for spanking me, I quite enjoyed it. And when you go from a three bedroom mobile, to a 4 bedroom apt to a VERY SMALL three bedroom apt, something needs to go into storage. My choice was the books, since I couldn't put the kid in there!!! lol
!

don't you know... ALWAYS put kids in storage before putting your king collection in storage(especially true if they're teenagers).... people always return the kids.(unfortunately)

even college age kids are better to put in storage than your king collection... they'll return on their own... again, and again, and again....

Nerak
09-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Terry, unfortunately, mine were 9, 6 and 1 when I opened the unit..they wouldn't have been too happy about being there!'

And I regret putting the personal stuff in there more than the books.

Well..the one book that I wanted back but didn't get, my signed Harry Potter and THBP from Harry, Carrie and Garp. :(

LadyHitchhiker
09-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Looking for a hard cover copy of the Stand. Are they pretty expensive and hard to find? The only one I saw, was the one that I MAY be able to get through my book store. It's $50 but I could get 30% off because I work there. Is that a good deal? And since it was published in 1990, does that mean it is the unabridged version or the abridged version?

I've just spent so much money buying paperback after paperback - I keep wearing them out - that I thought it would be a good investment to finally get the HC.

CRinVA
09-21-2009, 07:16 AM
If it was published in 1990 it is the unabridged version. Is it a black dust jacket or a white one - the white is a Grammercy Press Re Issue that actually came out much later. Is it a first edition - it should say First Trade Edition May 1990 on the bottom of the copywrite page. I do not think that $35 is all that much if its a first and in very fine condition. No markings inside, no dog ears, no rips in the dustjacket, no bumps, no brusies, etc. ! :-)

Sam
09-21-2009, 07:40 AM
If it was published in 1990, it's most likely the unedited version. I would get it if I were you. 15% of of $50 brings the total to $35 and that's about what you'd pay for a current hardcover if you found one. Just my thoughts mind you.

LadyHitchhiker
09-21-2009, 07:54 AM
I mean I've worn out 7 copies of the Stand so far. Let's say I spent 7 bucks on them (just for arguments sake). That's 49 dollars right there! So I figure it's a great long term investment. I never ever ever buy hardcovers usually because they're a lot of money and Linus and Mandarin used to chew up my hardcovers.

This would be a brand new copy so I'll see if I can order it and if it'll come in and then put it in my tupperware with the very few hcs I have.

It will be new if I can get a hold of it through our ordering... We'll have to see if we can get it!

jhanic
09-21-2009, 08:06 AM
LadyH, if you have an eBay account, you can get a hardcover Stand for less than $10!

http://books.shop.ebay.com/Books-/267/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_BIN=1&LH_IncludeSIF=1&Format=Hardcover&_nkw=%22stephen+king%22+stand&_trkparms=65%253A10%257C66%253A4%257C39%253A1&_catref=1&_dmpt=US_Fiction_Books&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

John

Sam
09-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Liz, take your books out of the tupperware and put them on a bookshelf. If moisture ever were to get in the tupperware, the books would be ruined.

mae
09-21-2009, 08:50 AM
It's hardcover only for me. I'm a hardcover freak. No paperbacks! :angry:

frik
09-21-2009, 08:55 AM
It's hardcover only for me. I'm a hardcover freak. No paperbacks! :angry:

Same here.
Before I became a SK-collector (ho-hum...) I did read Kings books in paperback form. Nothing wrong with this, obviously.
But then, I saw my first King-hardcover, I was sold.....I mean, it was sold.
I threw my paperbacks out -literally- and replaced them with the hardcover editions I had missed.

sk

Brice
09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I collect hardcovers and paperbacks...and then I rescue all those beat up homeless King books at the used bookstores. They need a loving home too.

Siep, you threw out King books? :cry:

frik
09-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Guilty as charged...

sk

I won't be banned now, will I?? :blush:

LadyHitchhiker
09-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Liz, take your books out of the tupperware and put them on a bookshelf. If moisture ever were to get in the tupperware, the books would be ruined.

Well how else do I protect my hardcovers if I don't put them in some sort of protective device, to save them from my kittehs? I want both, my kitties and my hardcover copy of the stand. The only hc they have left alone - well it's only Mandarin to worry about devouring books since Majel leaves them alone - is the ultimate hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy because it has very thin pages, is my reasoning.

And I should check out the e-bay thing even though I don't have an account because I would much more love spending ten dollars as opposed to 35 ... well if I can... :) although the 35 dollars is still a much better deal than to keep buying paperbacks of the stand. That's the only book I've ever worn out (besides hitchhiker's series) and I've done it repeatedly (and more than hitchhiker's. It's my favorite story, I must think!

pixiedark76
09-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I collect hardcovers and paperbacks...and then I rescue all those beat up homeless King books at the used bookstores. They need a loving home too.

:nope:>< Seriously you threw out king books! :arg:

pixiedark76
09-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I keep hardbacks and paperbacks. I usually just "collect" my hardbacks and put them on a bookshelf. I use my paperbacks to read.
I hate the fact that when a new Stephen King hardback book gets released, I have to open it and read it. I was so nervous and upset when Just After Sunset came out. (The new hardback books are first editions and I want to keep them in mint condition.) I wish there could be a paperback released at the same time as the hardback edition. I hear they do this in the UK.

pixiedark76
09-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Looking for a hard cover copy of the Stand. Are they pretty expensive and hard to find? The only one I saw, was the one that I MAY be able to get through my book store. It's $50 but I could get 30% off because I work there. Is that a good deal? And since it was published in 1990, does that mean it is the unabridged version or the abridged version?

I've just spent so much money buying paperback after paperback - I keep wearing them out - that I thought it would be a good investment to finally get the HC.

You could get Brodart vinyl covers for your paperbacks. Check out Brodart's website. I have covers for all my paperbacks and they keep so nice and sturdy and they are easier to read. (Without the covers the books bend too much)

Randall Flagg
09-21-2009, 06:48 PM
For reading purposes (which is what it is all about), the best physical version of The Stand to purchase would be one with a pleasurable font.
Read it 10+ times. When too frayed, recycle.
This is going to be merged into the Collectible Questions thread.

Patrick
09-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Well how else do I protect my hardcovers if I don't put them in some sort of protective device, to save them from my kittehs? I want both, my kitties and my hardcover copy of the stand. ...
I would recommend checking out the Bookcases thread and finding yourself a nice bookcase with glass doors - and perhaps a lock. The cats can look, but can't touch.

Bev Vincent
09-23-2009, 05:31 AM
It's a question, but not my question -- the title of an Entertainment Weekly article.

How much would you pay for a first edition? (http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/09/23/stephen-king-salems-lot/)

One time in college, while browsing in an old-timey bookstore in Evanston, Ill., I came upon a first edition of my favorite book, John Steinbeck’s East of Eden. I thought to myself, “Wow, it would be cool to own this!” Of course, that was before I flipped it over, discovered the $100-something price tag, and immediately thought, “Wow, it would be cool to have money!”

But compared to the price of a first edition of Stephen King’s 1975 book, Salem’s Lot, $100 is nothin’. Just how much is the asking price for a true first edition of King’s novel? According to AbeBooks.com, $90,055. That’s two years of Ivy League tuition, folks. Three brand-new cars. Ninety-thousand bags of M&Ms.

Now, there’s a reason the asking price is so high: Apparently, because of a last-minute price change by Doubleday, there are only four known copies of the book that features the original price stamp, which was $8.95. But it would sure make you feel like a sucker (no pun intended) to have that price tag looking you in the face when you’ve paid nearly $100,000 for the book, huh?

Tell me, Shelf Lifers, do you think this first edition will sell, especially when you consider the vampire craze that’s taking over our nation? Would it even be worth it? And how much would you pony up for a first edition of your favorite book?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Tell me, Shelf Lifers, do you think this first edition will sell, especially when you consider the vampire craze that’s taking over our nation? Would it even be worth it? And how much would you pony up for a first edition of your favorite book?

Catogorically No!

I can't think of any books I would pay six figures for. (not King anyway)

How much for this then?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/medium/potter.jpg

Brice
09-23-2009, 06:48 AM
I'd pay that without hesitation for THAT book. Anyone care to loan me the $90,047.33 that I'm short for it? :)

Siep, we wouldn't ban you for such a small thing. :grouphug: You have a little country. We can easily find you for correction...assimilation even. :borg:

Randall Flagg
09-23-2009, 03:43 PM
I can't think of any books I would pay six figures for. (not King anyway)

How much for this then?

Not much, looks like a photocopy.:evil:

SkippyD023
09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Can someone give me an estimate as to what a First Edition, Hodder & Stoughton copy of IT is worth, lets say in Very Good condition? Now what is that same book worth if there are two tears (each about 2 1/2" long) in the cover, where the front board meets the spine. The tears are not all the way thru the cover, just the cloth part of the cover, right at the seam. The boards and spine are still intact, just the cloth is ripped.

jhanic
09-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I paid less than $45 for my copy a couple years ago and it is in very good+ condition. Any tears in the cover will seriously affect the cost.

John

frik
09-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Siep, We can easily find you for correction...assimilation even. :borg:

:excited:

sk

Brice
09-25-2009, 01:23 PM

Randall Flagg
09-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Can someone give me an estimate as to what a First Edition, Hodder & Stoughton copy of IT is worth, lets say in Very Good condition? Now what is that same book worth if there are two tears (each about 2 1/2" long) in the cover, where the front board meets the spine. The tears are not all the way thru the cover, just the cloth part of the cover, right at the seam. The boards and spine are still intact, just the cloth is ripped.

I paid less than $45 for my copy a couple years ago and it is in very good+ condition. Any tears in the cover will seriously affect the cost.

John
I'd say with damage as described, <$10.

AbbyNormal
09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any idea how much this might be worth. I found two of them a couple of years ago for $4 each and haven't been able to find out any information on them. Someone just pointed this thread out to me on a different forum, so I thought I'd ask. Any information would be appreciated. I'm not looking to sell them (one was already given to a friend as a gift), I'm just asking out of curiosity.

tippy4
09-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Too bad you are not looking to sell...because I am looking to buy.

AbbyNormal
09-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Do you have any idea how much it might go for? It's the only thing I have that's signed so it's a prized possession, and that's why I'm not looking to sell. Have you ever seen any others for sale anywhere? If so, do you remember how much it was?

jhanic
09-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I just bought a copy of the s/l Gunslinger tape in good condition for $100. The DT II s/l audio tape seems to be very scarce, even though the same quantity were produced. What shape are yours in?

I'm also interested in buying one.

John

Randall Flagg
09-27-2009, 03:29 PM
I moved the last few posts here as the Collectibles Catalog isn't the best place for inquiries and/or sales.

AbbyNormal
09-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry, I didn't know.

Mine is in good condition and the one I gave away was in the same condition as well. When I bought them they were both shrinkwrapped, and I didnt find out they were signed until I opened them. I'm sure the place I bought them from didn't know either, otherwise they would have been more than $4.

jhanic
09-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Sorry, I didn't know.

Mine is in good condition and the one I gave away was in the same condition as well. When I bought them they were both shrinkwrapped, and I didnt find out they were signed until I opened them. I'm sure the place I bought them from didn't know either, otherwise they would have been more than $4.

Nothing to be sorry about. Please post pictures if possible, especially of the signature and number. We LOVE to see those!

John

Randall Flagg
09-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Not a problem. Welcome to the Collector's area.:thumbsup:

Patrick
09-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Welcome to TDT.com and Calvin's Corner, AbbyNormal. Once you have a mere 5 posts here, more member capabilities will open to you.

As John said, we'd love to see a photo of the signature page in the book you kept.

johnsmith87
10-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Can anyone tell me if a 1st/1st 1978 US The Stand would have a bar code on the back cover? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but this one does and is being advertised as a 1st edition. Maybe a later printing?

Here's what I mean:

jhanic
10-01-2009, 02:34 PM
There's no bar code on the back of the 1978 1st/1st. See:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1087

I'm not sure when it first appeared.

John

Randall Flagg
10-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Can anyone tell me if a 1st/1st 1978 US The Stand would have a bar code on the back cover? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but what edition has the bar code on the back? Thanks.
It does not have the code on the back.

The entry (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1087) in out Collectibles Catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=974)shows a scan of the 1978 1st Dust jacket:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/The_Stand_rear.jpg

The interior dj flap (as well as the copyright page) has a typed ISBN: 0-385-12168-7

I'll research, but the first US hardback and the first US paperback to have an ISBN bar code on the outside cover have been discussed (fuzzy memory says the first PB was a Bachman book)

johnsmith87
10-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks, that's sort of what I figured. I guess it's just a later printing then? In that case, I don't think it's worth what the seller thinks it is (but maybe I'm wrong).

Randall Flagg
10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
The Running Man (1982) was the first King/Bachman book to have a UPC bar on the cover.
IT (September, 1986), was the first hardback.

johnsmith87
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
The Running Man (1982) was the first King/Bachman book to have a UPC bar on the cover.
IT (September, 1986), was the first hardback.

Thanks! :)

biomieg
10-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I have a question about the UK 1st/1st of The Shining. I have two copies of this book. Both have the exact same copyright page (with no reprints stated), dust jacket, gutter code etcetera. And yet yesterday I found out that the books themselves (underneath the dust jacket) look completely different! How is this possible? Anyone have an idea? Is one of them not a 1st/1st? But why, then, is everything exactly the same except the boards of the books (and a tiny size difference)?

http://www.cabecapoeira.nl/king/images/stories/UK/ShiningNEL.jpg

I should add that the black book came with a priceclipped DJ. Not sure if this means anything in this context, though.

*edit* Even if you don't have an answer, I'd love to know whether you (yes, you ;)) own either the black or the blue state of this book.

biomieg
10-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I posted this in the Collecting Questions thread but it seems to go unnoticed. I am really curious though! Mods, feel free to merge this back into the CC thread if a discussion evolves; if nobody replies, just delete it :)

I have a question about the UK 1st/1st of The Shining. I have two copies of this book. Both have the exact same copyright page (with no reprints stated), dust jacket, gutter code etcetera. And yet yesterday I found out that the books themselves (underneath the dust jacket) look completely different! How is this possible? Anyone have an idea? Is one of them not a 1st/1st? But why, then, is everything exactly the same except the boards of the books (and a tiny size difference)?

http://www.cabecapoeira.nl/king/images/stories/UK/ShiningNEL.jpg

I should add that the black book came with a priceclipped DJ. Not sure if this means anything in this context, though.

Even if you don't have an answer, I'd love to know whether you own either the black or the blue state of this book, so we can see if either one of the 'states' is an anomaly or not.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-06-2009, 12:03 AM
The black one on the left is the NEL 1st edition. (From the outside. I would need to see the copyright page.)
The blue one on the right looks like a rebound book for a library.

Could you post pics of the copyright pages in full?

The dust jacket is 90% of the value of this book. It is very delicate and hard to find in fine condition. A price-clipped one is devalued considerably.

biomieg
10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I will post pics of the copyright pages later today (they are identical, though). As for the dust jackets, you are correct of course. I got the blue copy with a non-clipped DJ, which unfortunately is not in fine condition (there are some chips on the top and bottom part of the DJ spine). I think I paid about £100 for it (will have to check at home). The black copy came with a lovely DJ, given its age, but priceclipped. I paid €45 for that one.

I actually found out about the differences in the books when I wanted to marry the nicer book (the black one) with the unclipped DJ.

You could very well be right about the library binding. I think I'm going to measure the size of the text blocks to see whether they're the same.

herbertwest
10-06-2009, 09:17 AM
any news about the N hardcover?

it's on amazon, but cant find it on marvel's website...
Amazon.com: Stephen King's N. The Comic Series Premiere HC (9780785134534): Marvel Comics: Books

biomieg
10-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I didn't get around to taking pictures of the copyright pages but, as I said before, they are 100% identical.

Tomas (The Collector) mentioned that rebound library books most likely have other marks (glue remains, stamps, etc.) and of course that's true in virtually all cases. This book has none.

So I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'm going to keep both books. Who knows, maybe there are more of these blue-boarded books floating around 'under the radar'...maybe somebody will read this post 50 years from now, check his copy, and reply ;-)

Mods, please feel free to merge this thread back into the collecting questions thread if so desired.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-07-2009, 08:02 AM
I didn't get around to taking pictures of the copyright pages but, as I said before, they are 100% identical.

Tomas (The Collector) mentioned that rebound library books most likely have other marks (glue remains, stamps, etc.) and of course that's true in virtually all cases. This book has none.

So I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'm going to keep both books. Who knows, maybe there are more of these blue-boarded books floating around 'under the radar'...maybe somebody will read this post 50 years from now, check his copy, and reply ;-)

Actually you have kind of answered your own question by saying the copyright pages are 100% identical. It is definately a rebound book then, as the black one is the NEL 1st edition.

This rebinding has been done by a single individual, and they did a poor job of the titles. Look at them compaired to the original.

I have a rebound Pocket Books paperback of "Storm of the Century". It's on blue hardback boards. It's probably the only one in the world, but it's not worth anything, other than 'curiosity' value.

Here's a picture of it next to the Book Club edition.

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/storm.jpg

biomieg
10-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, I agree with you Mr. RT, it's probably as simple as one individual rebinding a book. My curiosity was sparked though, and I sort of hoped there would be a more 'imaginative' explanation. But whichever way, I'm glad to have it in my collection, even if it's only for the sake of its curiosity value :)

e_taylor
10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Okay heres an off the wall question. I enjoy reading trade paperbacks over normal paperbacks (approx 6" x 9" in size) and I'm trying to figure out which King titles are available somewhere in TPB.

So... does anyone know yes or no to the following:

Night Shift
Different Seasons
Christine
Talisman
Thinner
Skeleton Crew
Eyes of the Dragon
It
Tommyknockers
Dark Half
Four Past Midnight
Needful Things
Delores Claiborne
Insomnia
Desperation
Regulators
Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Hearts in Atlantis
Dreamcatcher
Cell
Blaze

US or UK as long as its 1) english language, 2) not large print and 3) no an ARC

Anyone?

jhanic
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I have a UK TPB of Cell. I know Hodder & Stoughton often has issued TPB editions of King's works almost simultaneously with the hardcovers. I think (but I'm not sure) that these are intended for international sales. (If I remember correctly, the Cell edition is from Australia.)

John

Cloysterpete
10-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I have most of those in UK paperback, for some reason I don't have Desperation, Eyes of the Dragon or Four Past Midnight. These are 7" by 4 (and a bit)" in size.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-10-2009, 02:03 AM
The UK full size paperbacks are issued on the same day as the hardback. They are not intended for international markets.
They are not the same as the Australian books.
They are not just sold "flightside" at airports.

Cloysterpete
10-10-2009, 05:02 AM
The UK full size paperbacks are issued on the same day as the hardback. They are not intended for international markets.
They are not the same as the Australian books.
They are not just sold "flightside" at airports.

Those full-size ones (I prefer the term stupid size myself) are available at Amazon, but i've never seen one of them in a bookstore before.

shnnrc01
10-10-2009, 05:25 AM
in ireland, its nearly getting to the stage where its harder to find the hardback on the shelves (easons,waterstones). its all tpb's. i dont even visit them stores anymore. i just order it from amazon.

SkippyD023
10-10-2009, 06:33 AM
in ireland, its nearly getting to the stage where its harder to find the hardback on the shelves (easons,waterstones). its all tpb's. i dont even visit them stores anymore. i just order it from amazon.

I noticed that myself. I was in a B&N the other day and they did not have 1 SK book in hardcover everything was either the standard paperback or trade paperback.

Cloysterpete
10-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Hasn't that always been the case though?. They stock the newest hardcover for a few weeks depending on sales, then for everything else it's paperback.

It's not surprising though is it, use Under the Dome for example, bookstores will be selling it at (or very close to, the smaller the store the less the discount) the rrp of £20. There not going to sell many of those when the web-stores sell it for £10 so they don't get many copies in-stock.

Plus where would the stores put all these hardcovers?, no-way they have the room to stock back-catalog hardcovers.