PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Collecting Questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57

frik
08-27-2020, 11:08 PM
Price check on Dr Sleep S/L and Black House S/L please.

Doctor Sleep $550-ish, Black House $350...if that. Betts had a couple for $325 recently.

sk

Pere Jere
08-29-2020, 06:49 AM
Hi all! As a new King collector I was wondering, other than people posting items for sale here, what are reliable sources online for finding his works? Though I know it's an easy one to find I was very happy to get a like-new copy of DT VII already in a brodart cover for $20 shipped on Abebooks. I also found great copies of DT V and VI at a local used book store for $14 total. V has some red fading due to sun exposure to the dust jacket but I ordered a replacement from Grant. I know it gets much harder (and expensive) from here...lol.

From what I can gleam from comments online Abebooks seems pretty safe but Thriftbooks is one to avoid.

I'm curious if any of my old King books are still at my parents' house. Unfortunately, if they are they've been in the attic for decades. I know I had "Misery" in hardcover when it first came out and I had a copies of "Skeleton Crew" and "Christine" as well. The only one that stayed in my possession and is still in great shape is the first printing of the softcover "Cycle of the Werewolf."

TnTzDad
08-29-2020, 07:00 AM
I made sure to look, but don't see a dedicated thread as to how future rights work. I recently acquired a #d WTTKH, that I know was resold once beyond the assumed original owner. (The same eBay seller sold his remaining matching #d books, of which I bought four directly from him.) With regards to rights, is it solely based on possession or is there a paper trail that must follow? I see time and time again "sold with or without rights". Do I need to contact this seller to request rights or am I okay just owning the book?

I ask this because of Webstar's video clip where King states another book "is possible".

frik
08-29-2020, 07:24 AM
I recently acquired a #d WTTKH, that I know was resold once beyond the assumed original owner. I see time and time again "sold with or without rights". Do I need to contact this seller to request rights or am I okay just owning the book?

If you're the current owner of TWTTK, you're fine. The book is all the proof you need.

sk

Ivo
08-29-2020, 07:51 AM
I recently acquired a #d WTTKH, that I know was resold once beyond the assumed original owner. I see time and time again "sold with or without rights". Do I need to contact this seller to request rights or am I okay just owning the book?

If you're the current owner of TWTTK, you're fine. The book is all the proof you need.

sk

When I purchased a TWTTK # below 500 a few years ago, when I Received the book I took pictures of the limitation page and sent them with a note that I’m now the owner of this # to Robert at Grant Publishing. I don’t know if it will help but at least I created a document of proof. I seem to remember that’s all you had to do then to prove ownership of a particular book and #.

TnTzDad
08-29-2020, 09:22 AM
Thank you both! I have a love/hate relationship with Mr. Wiener, and I'm sure he cringes when he sees an order or email from me. lol

I was also chatting with another collector and he said he was forced to mail his copy of the previous book in to DMG to prove he had it because someone else was claiming rights to it. His and the new were them mailed to him. As for any future rights to DT V, with DMG, we can only speculate...

Brian861
08-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Hi all! As a new King collector I was wondering, other than people posting items for sale here, what are reliable sources online for finding his works? Though I know it's an easy one to find I was very happy to get a like-new copy of DT VII already in a brodart cover for $20 shipped on Abebooks. I also found great copies of DT V and VI at a local used book store for $14 total. V has some red fading due to sun exposure to the dust jacket but I ordered a replacement from Grant. I know it gets much harder (and expensive) from here...lol.

From what I can gleam from comments online Abebooks seems pretty safe but Thriftbooks is one to avoid.

I'm curious if any of my old King books are still at my parents' house. Unfortunately, if they are they've been in the attic for decades. I know I had "Misery" in hardcover when it first came out and I had a copies of "Skeleton Crew" and "Christine" as well. The only one that stayed in my possession and is still in great shape is the first printing of the softcover "Cycle of the Werewolf."

Welcome, Pere. Webstar runs a King FB page that's probably a good place to start for higher end stuff. As far as run of the mill everyday stuff, you're probably ok with ABE or even eBay. Be aware that most, if not all, eBay sellers don't know how to package books. If you're into flat signatures or inscriptions, best to ask here before purchasing to see if they're legit. Tons of fakes out here.

TnTzDad
08-29-2020, 09:33 AM

Welcome, Pere. Webstar runs a King FB page that's probably a good place to start for higher end stuff. As far as run of the mill everyday stuff, you're probably ok with ABE or even eBay. Be aware that most, if not all, eBay sellers don't know how to package books. If you're into flat signatures or inscriptions, best to ask here before purchasing to see if they're legit. Tons of fakes out here.

Don't forget about Betts Books!

Brian861
08-29-2020, 09:37 AM

Yes, yes. Betts for sure! David is great people and won't steer you wrong.

TnTzDad
08-29-2020, 10:34 AM

You just have to be very, very quick to get the prized books.

Pere Jere
08-29-2020, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the great info! I’ll check out the other sources you mentioned. I’m currently not looking to get into signed stuff (though I did order the AE of TWTTK) but just want to hunt down DT I-IV and wouldn’t even mind the Viking printings. I believe those have the full color pages like the Grants?

Randall Flagg
08-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Don't forget we have a classifieds thread here...

M_O_O_N
08-29-2020, 02:14 PM

How true. How very, very true.

Pere Jere
08-31-2020, 06:39 AM
Is there a reason Book VII artist signed editions are still available new from Grant over 15 years later? Considering Whelan’s popularity as a Tower artist I guess I’m surprised they are still available (though admittedly have zero reference for how “big” an edition of 5,000 really is.)

Randall Flagg
08-31-2020, 07:50 AM
5,000 is an awful lot even for an artist like Whelan.

tippy4
09-01-2020, 12:22 PM
It was 1,000 books too many.

webstar1000
09-01-2020, 12:44 PM
It was 1,000 books too many.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peripheral
09-10-2020, 03:22 PM
Question for the team A fellow book collector has an edition of Salem's Lot with $8.95 (unclipped) on the jacket, but the third paragraph has Callahan - not Cody. I'm guessing this is a later printing DJ?

webstar1000
09-10-2020, 03:24 PM
Question for the team A fellow book collector has an edition of Salem's Lot with $8.95 (unclipped) on the jacket, but the third paragraph has Callahan - not Cody. I'm guessing this is a later printing DJ?

Yep.

peripheral
09-10-2020, 03:34 PM

Yep.

Cheers mate

Pere Jere
09-11-2020, 11:47 AM
Question: do the Grant and Viking versions of The Drawing of the Three have different Phil Hale artwork? Based on some comments I saw while searching for info on Hale’s artwork it seemed Books 1, 3, and 4 have the same artwork between the two releases but Hale made new art for the Viking?

Scoogs
09-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Question: do the Grant and Viking versions of The Drawing of the Three have different Phil Hale artwork? Based on some comments I saw while searching for info on Hale’s artwork it seemed Books 1, 3, and 4 have the same artwork between the two releases but Hale made new art for the Viking?

I believe the Viking edition uses the new artwork that Phil Hale created for the second printing of the Grant edition.

Pere Jere
09-11-2020, 02:39 PM

I believe the Viking edition uses the new artwork that Phil Hale created for the second printing of the Grant edition.

Well...now I have another reason to track down a 1st edition Grant TDotT 😁

Br!an
09-11-2020, 03:32 PM

I'm sure we could come up with a dozen more reasons.

tippy4
09-11-2020, 03:42 PM

I have a copy.

PM me.

George at C-Springs
09-13-2020, 11:39 AM
Going value for a Gunslinger 3rd F/F with one of Tomas' slipcases? I know the slipcase itself goes $35 new.

Thx --- George

TnTzDad
09-13-2020, 12:17 PM
Going value for a Gunslinger 3rd F/F with one of Tomas' slipcases? I know the slipcase itself goes $35 new.

Thx --- George

I saw the eBay auction. If that's what you're asking about, I think $150 best offer would be my max. Or was. They removed best offer.

webstar1000
09-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Anyone happen to know if there is any difference between 1/70 Talisman and the lettered Talisman?

amd013
09-14-2020, 06:29 PM
Anyone happen to know if there is any difference between 1/70 Talisman and the lettered Talisman?

There is no difference other then what they write in the space. Even the limitation page is the same.

webstar1000
09-15-2020, 01:53 AM

There is no difference other then what they write in the space. Even the limitation page is the same.

Would you say there is a difference in value between the two?

George at C-Springs
09-15-2020, 06:58 AM
From SKCollector website:

"A lettered state of an indeterminate number of copies designated the "artist's presentation state" signed by the authors and the book's 10 illustrators. These were for presentation and not for sale. The limitation page reads: "This presentation copy #___ of 70 copies of this special illustrated first edition of the Talisman is signed by the participants in the edition and is not for sale. *Street Price:

70 numbered presentation copies, with were also signed by all the authors and illustrators. The limitation page reads the same as the lettered state above.*$1,400-$1,700*(est)"

I've seen these 1 of 70's for sale a few times, don't think I've ever seen a lettered.

amd013
09-15-2020, 08:21 AM
From SKCollector website:

"A lettered state of an indeterminate number of copies designated the "artist's presentation state" signed by the authors and the book's 10 illustrators. These were for presentation and not for sale. The limitation page reads: "This presentation copy #___ of 70 copies of this special illustrated first edition of the Talisman is signed by the participants in the edition and is not for sale. *Street Price:

70 numbered presentation copies, with were also signed by all the authors and illustrators. The limitation page reads the same as the lettered state above.*$1,400-$1,700*(est)"

I've seen these 1 of 70's for sale a few times, don't think I've ever seen a lettered.

I have one of each. One I bought from ebay and one from David, but I am not sure which was which. The one I bought on ebay was $1500. Not sure how much I paid for the one from Betts.

I have copies 70 and G. So I know there were 70 of the numbered lettered. But I still am not convinced there were actually 70 of the Lettered lettered. I haven't heard of any double lettered Letters so maybe the "lettered" variation is rarer, so I would say that the ones with the actual Letter would be more desirable. Not sure how that would effect the value.

webstar1000
09-15-2020, 08:40 AM
There's discussion on this in the catalog going back to 2014, and the bottom line is that the actual number of lettered vs "of 70" copies is unknown.

Mr. Rabbit Trick's Letter T is shown in the catalog and amd013 has G and #70.

Who else has what? Let's fill in the blanks; if you have a letter or another "of 70", post it here.

I do not. I ALMOST bought a 1/70 but opted to hold off for a letter where they seem to be all on the same line of 1/70. The last books I need are proving very hard to find. haha

George at C-Springs
09-15-2020, 04:25 PM
Help us to correct The Catalog by heading over to:

The Talisman Lettered and "of 70" Presentation Copies; How Many Total Were Produced? (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?23006-The-Talisman-Lettered-and-quot-of-70-quot-Presentation-Copies-How-Many-Total-Were-Produced&p=1216676#post1216676)

... and letting us know which Lettered/Presentation Copy Number you have!

PS I've transferred the data from some of the posts above and deleted the posts to avoid confusion.

vincent
09-24-2020, 01:02 AM
I'd like to read King's short story "The Revelations of 'Becca Paulson" as it was published in Rolling Stone magazine from July/August 1984.
Would someone be willing to send me pictures of all of the pages of the story? I would be forever grateful!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~yMAAOSwI6Bc3vJb/s-l1600.jpg

Ari_Racing
09-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Give me a couple of hours and I'll send you the images. I have the magazine.

Brian861
09-24-2020, 10:04 PM
Was Flight or Fright published before The Outsider or between The Outsider and Elevation?

vincent
09-25-2020, 12:15 AM
Give me a couple of hours and I'll send you the images. I have the magazine.

Thanks very much, that would be amazing! No rush at all.

herbertwest
09-25-2020, 12:16 AM
According to amazon.com
- The outsider (https://amzn.to/2ExfEBn) : Hardcover – May 22, 2018
- Flight or Fright (https://amzn.to/2EvZ7gU), by CD: September 4, 2018
- Elevation (https://amzn.to/30anQz8): November 12, 2019

webstar1000
09-25-2020, 02:22 AM
Tippy and Ari posted a Just After Sunset Bookplate sighed edition. Does ANYONE know how many were done? Does anyone else even have one here?

Bev Vincent
09-25-2020, 03:10 AM
According to amazon.com

Elevation came out on October 30, 2018. Flight or Fright was a little more than a month before that.

herbertwest
09-25-2020, 06:15 AM
According to amazon.com

Elevation came out on October 30, 2018. Flight or Fright was a little more than a month before that.

Well spotted : doing some researches on the articles of my website, it was indeed planned and released on octobre 30!

Brian861
09-25-2020, 08:44 AM
According to amazon.com

According to amazon.com

Thanks, guys! Needed to know it's correct place on the shelf.

Randall Flagg
09-25-2020, 08:46 AM
:catalogfriend:

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=imagelimit2

Brian861
09-25-2020, 08:48 AM

It's not listed there, boss.

webstar1000
09-25-2020, 08:58 AM

yeah it is missin:( I REALLY want one.. WILL OFFER $1000 to anyone that has one. It is the only bookplate missing from my collection:(

herbertwest
09-25-2020, 09:12 AM

yeah it is missin:( I REALLY want one.. WILL OFFER $1000 to anyone that has one. It is the only bookplate missing from my collection:(

For a second I thought you said you'd offer 1 grand for anyone to add it to the catalog (-_-')

Randall Flagg
09-25-2020, 09:27 AM
My mistake. The Catalog for King Trade editions usually doesn't include anthologies.

Brian861
09-25-2020, 09:34 AM
My mistake. The Catalog for King Trade editions usually doesn't include anthologies.

It is listed under the Collectibles Catalog but just states 2018 as a publication date. I don't believe CD has published theses yet.

ToBoldlyGo
10-30-2020, 07:56 AM
I have something of a minor mystery for anyone who is interested in trying to crack the case!

Two days ago, I found a version of Stephen King's The Stand in a thrift shop. It had no dust jacket. It is not a first edition and has no code in the gutter that I can see. It is not the complete and uncut version.

But the strange thing is that it is bound in all black cloth spine and boards. It is BCE size, but not the same color as the BCEs I seem to be finding online, via Ebay and Google. This book was printed in the 70s for sure. The references inside were from the 70s, the list of King's printed works up until the point of The Stand's Publication is listed inside, and the spine has the original layout that the original Doubleday books have. The only other clue I have to give is that it seems to have been a library book. However it's in very good shape for a library book. It was almost like it was never checked out, which is insane for its age. What do you guys and gals think?

herbertwest
10-30-2020, 08:16 AM
I would recommend you to share pictures, it will make everything easier ;)

ToBoldlyGo
10-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Good idea! My first time trying this. Let's see if it works.

Oh, my permissions say I can't attach pictures.

herbertwest
10-30-2020, 08:47 AM
I think you need to have 5 posts to unlock that feature. So just reply to this message :)

ToBoldlyGo
10-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Ah hah! I bet this comment will do it then!

herbertwest
10-30-2020, 10:06 AM
Any better now?

ToBoldlyGo
10-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Not yet! Maybe after this one. It's a good rule to discourage spammers, though.

Br!an
10-30-2020, 02:52 PM
Just a guess but it's probably a BCE. There are other king books with black boards and binding that were BCEs.

ToBoldlyGo
10-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Okay, so here is the link to some pictures! https://imgur.com/a/PCP5HeD Sorry I can't just post attachments.

Hey Br!an, that's kind of what I thought. But I can only find BCE's with white boards. On the internet, which doesn't mean that's for sure.

Br!an
10-30-2020, 03:15 PM
It's a fourteenth printing. A decent reading copy.

vincent
11-19-2020, 12:54 AM
I'd like to read King's introduction to "Silver Bullet", the Movie Tie-in from 1985. Turns out that paperback is quite expensive.
Could anyone send me pictures of the introduction? That would be very much appreciated!!

herbertwest
11-19-2020, 02:52 AM
If you speak french, I can send you the french translation

vincent
11-19-2020, 03:15 AM
If you speak french, I can send you the french translation

that would be great, thanks!

If anyone should have the one in English, I'd still like to read that too.

vincent
11-19-2020, 03:46 AM
Got it, thank you very much Jon!!

jon10g
11-19-2020, 03:52 AM
Glad to help.

Lurker
11-19-2020, 12:31 PM
I have a question about the US HC 1st ed Bachman books. The Catalogue show the DJ with Bachman Books in gold above Four Early Novels etc.
What about a DJ without the words Bachman Books?

Randall Flagg
11-19-2020, 03:15 PM
Probably not a first edition.

Lurker
11-19-2020, 04:41 PM
No, it's a first from the John collection. I just thought it might be some variant?
Sorry about the flash. There is no sign lettering wore off or of any imprint. Jacket is smooth.

https://i.ibb.co/4Z7dDjS/BB-1st.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/gty5CQH/BB-2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/LgMJFkj/BB2.jpg

Garrell
11-19-2020, 07:50 PM
Pretty cool looking.

becca69
11-19-2020, 08:22 PM
It appears this dust jacket escaped being foil stamped with gold. I have an Anne Rice book like this.

Brian861
11-20-2020, 08:57 AM
It appears this dust jacket escaped being foil stamped with gold. I have an Anne Rice book like this.

Cool little variant if that's the case. Would explain why John would want it in his collection.

Lurker
11-20-2020, 11:39 AM
OK. Thanks all. I was surprised when I opened it and kept thinking something wasn't right - then looked at the old ratty 5th it replaces and it hit me. The top was blank.
I'll work on getting a better picture and add the John variant in the thread of his books from Betts.

Stockerlone
12-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Is there a list of all the different official Stephen King signed cards ?
I think i only own this...

Constant Reader
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/PICT6934.JPG

Lisey´s UK
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Bilder_1_Sammlung_057.jpg

George at C-Springs
12-10-2020, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Lurker

I have a question about the US HC 1st ed Bachman books. The Catalogue show the DJ with Bachman Books in gold above Four Early Novels etc.
What about a DJ without the words Bachman Books?

No, it's a first from the John collection. I just thought it might be some variant?
Sorry about the flash. There is no sign lettering wore off or of any imprint. Jacket is smooth.

FYI, John had this book documented as "The Bachman Books 1985 HC W/dust jacket error", his own words.

Lurker
12-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Thanks. I ended up talking to David (which I should have done if first place, wasn't thinking). He changed it in the listings. I'm just going to call it the John variant.

frik
12-15-2020, 10:26 AM
Anyone any idea what a lettered Blockade Billy is going for these days?

sk

webstar1000
12-15-2020, 10:48 AM

sk

I bought mine last year for $2750

OneFathom
12-16-2020, 07:46 PM
Anyone have a lead on someone who makes high-quality acrylic slipcases? I'd love to build a set for my Dark Tower proofs.

frik
12-16-2020, 11:34 PM

sk

Thanks, Kris, this does help!

sk

MikeDuke
12-17-2020, 07:07 AM
Any thoughts on what a lettered GBB should go for?
Thanks

amd013
12-17-2020, 08:10 AM

sk

sk

Are you looking to buy or sell? I have been looking to buy for a while.

frik
12-18-2020, 12:26 AM

sk

sk

Sell...

sk

webstar1000
12-18-2020, 03:52 AM

sk

sk

It was the HARDEST CD lettered bar none to track down... not sure why either

SystemCrashOverRide
12-18-2020, 07:59 AM
Anyone know what the Amereon hardcover edition of The Gunslinger is worth these days? I have one in the mail but I'm curious what the market might be on it. Very hard to find information on.

playdohman
12-18-2020, 10:29 AM
Anyone know what the Amereon hardcover edition of The Gunslinger is worth these days? I have one in the mail but I'm curious what the market might be on it. Very hard to find information on.

WOW! I did not know this version existed.

MikeDuke
12-18-2020, 11:33 AM
Is this the one?
https://www.amazon.com/Gunslinger-Dark-Tower-Book/dp/0848807804

lotuz
12-18-2020, 12:49 PM
Anyone have a lead on someone who makes high-quality acrylic slipcases? I'd love to build a set for my Dark Tower proofs.

I'll second this request! I've wanted to do acrylic slipcases for some of my proofs for the longest time but have not had any luck tracking down someone who will make custom acrylic in very small orders...

MikeDuke
12-18-2020, 01:09 PM
Just a quick search turned up this
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/custom-size-plexiglass-5-sides-book_60405110780.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.45616d 35EOGosl

SystemCrashOverRide
12-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Yes, @mikeduke that's the edition.

George at C-Springs
12-23-2020, 08:23 PM
Hypothetical question; would you trade a DT matching numbers set for a Lettered Misery with rights (or vice-versa)?

Lot guy
12-23-2020, 10:30 PM
Hypothetical question; would you trade a DT matching numbers set for a Lettered Misery with rights (or vice-versa)?

Sounds like a fair trade. All up to what you like better, Dark Tower set or money, there's a member on here offering $20k for a Lettered Misery.

Curly
12-23-2020, 11:09 PM

Now yes. After the next King book Misery will not be such a premium.

webstar1000
12-24-2020, 06:06 AM

Now yes. After the next King book Misery will not be such a premium.

I disagree... Misery letter will not lower after next book.

webstar1000
12-24-2020, 06:09 AM

II peg DT set at $16000ish and Misery at $18000ish.. if that helps

webstar1000
12-24-2020, 06:10 AM

Sounds like a fair trade. All up to what you like better, Dark Tower set or money, there's a member on here offering $20k for a Lettered Misery.

I think sadly... he is not well. (Cancer) and is no longer buying books and selling them off. I helped him with a Misery number. I feel bad for him:( VERY nice man to

firemonkey66
12-29-2020, 07:25 AM
Random question, does anybody know off the top of their head what the measurements of a Centipede Press Salem's Lot S/L are? The actual book, not the slipcase. And if nobody knows off hand, would someone be willing to measure, pretty please? :)

Stockerlone
12-29-2020, 08:02 AM
again....

Is there a list of all the different official Stephen King signed cards ?
I think i only own this...

Constant Reader

Lisey´s UK

Brian James Freeman
12-29-2020, 08:33 AM
I think sadly... he is not well. (Cancer) and is no longer buying books and selling them off. I helped him with a Misery number. I feel bad for him:( VERY nice man to

Man, cancer sucks. Fuck cancer.

Brian

Randall Flagg
12-29-2020, 09:18 AM
Random question, does anybody know off the top of their head what the measurements of a Centipede Press Salem's Lot S/L are? The actual book, not the slipcase. And if nobody knows off hand, would someone be willing to measure, pretty please? :)
I measure it as 13 1/4" tall, 9 5/8" wide and 2 9/16" thick.

firemonkey66
12-29-2020, 09:20 AM
I measure it as 13 1/4" tall, 9 5/8" wide and 2 9/16" thick.

You're the man, Jerome, thank you!

Frondz
12-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Anyone have an idea as to value of the S/L Best of Cemetery Dance? Thanks!

Fsmdr
12-29-2020, 04:49 PM

$500-$650

Frondz
12-29-2020, 05:11 PM

$500-$650

Thanks! One of those weird ones where the trade issue is listing quite high at the moment, but can't find any sales of the SL.

ajw2910
01-01-2021, 07:39 PM
Waiting for the S/L Best of CD 2 to finally get published. I think I ordered this one back in like 2000 when it was going to be called something else. Been so long now I don’t recall......

Lurker
01-01-2021, 10:35 PM
I think it was "Cemetery Dance: A Fifteen Year Celebration". I ordered it in 2013.

webstar1000
01-20-2021, 12:03 PM
Sincerely hope some take a min to answer. I know Maine Review, Mashroots, Ubris.. all are sought after older mags. Could some chime in and tell me what they think the top ones to own are? Anyone? I am thinking of branching out to the older rare stuff. ANY insight here be amazing.

Cook
01-21-2021, 02:47 PM
Sincerely hope some take a min to answer. I know Maine Review, Mashroots, Ubris.. all are sought after older mags. Could some chime in and tell me what they think the top ones to own are? Anyone? I am thinking of branching out to the older rare stuff. ANY insight here be amazing.

Talk to Tippy (Rick)

Merlin1958
01-27-2021, 10:29 AM
So, with my new library set-up I,m finally un-boxing a lot of purchases after the last few years (Health issues let things pile up). So I find myself all out of brodart covers. Can someone please advise me the standard dimensions for ordering Brodart archival covefrs again? lol Thanks, like I said its been a while!!!

vincent
02-04-2021, 01:47 AM
Does anyone have figures or know where to find figures of how many copies of IT have sold worldwide since 1986? In all languages?

I'm working on a grant proposal to get funding for my PhD and if possible I'd like to quantify how big of a bestseller this book has been for the last 35 years.

thank you kindly!

Garrell
02-04-2021, 05:48 AM
I order 13" rolls. Cheaper and less waste Bill.

herbertwest
02-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Does anyone have figures or know where to find figures of how many copies of IT have sold worldwide since 1986? In all languages?

I'm working on a grant proposal to get funding for my PhD and if possible I'd like to quantify how big of a bestseller this book has been for the last 35 years.

thank you kindly!

IMO, your best chance would be to ask directly King's assistants
They may not want to disclose that information though.

BrewMeister
02-16-2021, 04:02 PM
Hi,

Not sure if this is the proper place for this, but hopefully it is.

I have a limited edition of Eyes of the Dragon - one of the ones numbered in red for private distribution. I've attached a photo of the inscription. Does anyone have any idea who David and Anne would be, and their relationship to King?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Eyes_of_the_Dragon2.jpg

webstar1000
02-16-2021, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I have a limited edition of Eyes of the Dragon - one of the ones numbered in red for private distribution. I've attached a photo of the inscription. Does anyone have any idea who David and Anne would be, and their relationship to King?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Eyes_of_the_Dragon2.jpg

I think that could be David Morrel. He wrote Rambo. I think his Wife was Anne but I’m not 100%

bdwyer19
02-16-2021, 04:55 PM
David Morrell’s wife’s name is Donna.

BrewMeister
02-16-2021, 05:02 PM
I think that could be David Morrel. He wrote Rambo. I think his Wife was Anne but I’m not 100%

An internet search (which is never wrong) says his wife's name is Donna Maziarz. If so, that wouldn't fit.

webstar1000
02-16-2021, 05:35 PM
David Morrell’s wife’s name is Donna.

Cool! I was just guessing. Haha

George at C-Springs
02-16-2021, 06:40 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your help!

BrewMeister, what's your red number?

BrewMeister
02-17-2021, 04:48 AM
BrewMeister, what's your red number?

Number 82.

vincent
02-18-2021, 01:49 AM
The only other David I can think of is King's brother, but I suspect he would have written Dave and Steve instead of Stephen...

BrewMeister
02-18-2021, 10:50 AM
The only other David I can think of is King's brother, but I suspect he would have written Dave and Steve instead of Stephen...
I think you're right. I've seen other examples from these personal copies. Sometimes he included a last name. Other times he included something like "Tabby says hi!" So I don't know if this was more of a casual acquaintance? Apparently someone who was willing to part with the book for some cash!

Pretty sure I'd be keeping mine if he ever sent me one! :drool:

Out of curiosity, I looked up my record on it. Purchased from Vagabond Books back in 1998. That was back when they sent out catalogs in the mail. I have a scan of the page from the catalog. Oh, the good old days!

BrewMeister
02-18-2021, 10:56 AM
Sorry Vincent, I just noticed it was your site where I saw the other examples! Very cool collection of signatures! I see your examples all included last names - not sure if that means anything on my copy or not.

Garrell
02-18-2021, 02:44 PM
His site is great for reference.

Merlin1958
02-18-2021, 02:58 PM
Sorry Vincent, I just noticed it was your site where I saw the other examples! Very cool collection of signatures! I see your examples all included last names - not sure if that means anything on my copy or not.

His site is great for reference.

There are other sites on the internet????????? :dance:

vincent
02-19-2021, 01:06 AM
Thanks BrewMeister and Garrell!

Your David and Anne inscription is definitely intriguing. If someone else comes to mind, I'll let you know. And I'll include your inscription in my next update of my site, if you don't mind.

BrewMeister
02-19-2021, 07:05 AM
Your David and Anne inscription is definitely intriguing. If someone else comes to mind, I'll let you know. And I'll include your inscription in my next update of my site, if you don't mind.

That's fine. Is the quality good for your purposes?

Beverly Marsh
02-19-2021, 09:05 AM
As I was ordering Horror Cinema from Easton Press it got me pondering..
Why have they only done one SK edition? Their books are beautiful and everyone knows they would sell. Same with Folio Society?
I don't know much about the book publishing world so is it a rights issue? Not cost effective?
Just curious because I'd love to see more SK editions from both publishers!

vincent
02-20-2021, 08:07 AM

That's fine. Is the quality good for your purposes?

Yes this is fine, thanks

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

burgerhicks80
02-20-2021, 08:24 AM
I have a copy of the paperback Plume edition of the drawing of the three it has no number line or a UPC code or price anywhere on it. I s this an ARC or something like that? I don't recall if BCE are made for paperbacks

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-20-2021, 11:38 AM
That is the Quality Paperback Book Club edition, as shown here:

https://i.imgur.com/dN7EhfA.jpg

webstar1000
02-23-2021, 03:18 PM
Apparently What I know about it: it was printed and given out to management level distributors with Macmillan some time in the fall of 1996. This specific copy has been owned by that distributor since then, just socked away untouched. King signed 75 of these for the reps. Anyone seen before?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210223/5e5d1ca03ea1debfb2b0247d22697e61.jpg

Randall Flagg
02-23-2021, 04:31 PM
Never seen it. If it's truly signed, it is rare indeed.

webstar1000
02-23-2021, 04:53 PM
Never seen it. If it's truly signed, it is rare indeed.

It’s definitely signed. I’m told this was a very personal gift from King and many kept this. I just wish I seen them. I’m
Awaiting the certificate that comes with it now.

sentinel
02-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Apparently What I know about it: it was printed and given out to management level distributors with Macmillan some time in the fall of 1996. This specific copy has been owned by that distributor since then, just socked away untouched. King signed 75 of these for the reps. Anyone seen before?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210223/5e5d1ca03ea1debfb2b0247d22697e61.jpg

I've got one. Just like you said, there are 75 signed and they went to publishers reps and big vendors. -K

jon10g
02-24-2021, 12:28 AM
Wonderful item!

Brian861
03-20-2021, 03:49 PM
I believe this was discussed sometime back in regards to the reissue of IT in 2017. Speaking of the HC with the white DJ. Was it determined that the lowest number line started with a 2?

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-20-2021, 06:02 PM
Mine starts with a '3', and I bought it on 7-30-17

Brian861
03-21-2021, 04:10 AM
Mine starts with a '3', and I bought it on 7-30-17

Thanks, Steve. Was that the release date?

Lurker
03-21-2021, 04:29 AM
Mine also starts with a 3 - shipped on Jul 13, 2017

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-21-2021, 05:50 AM
First Scribner hardcover edition July 2017

from the copyright page

I found mine at Walmart

playdohman
03-21-2021, 09:37 AM

from the copyright page

I found mine at Walmart

What number is it? Ones with number lines starting with 2, 3, etc also have that same statement.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-21-2021, 10:10 AM
3, as stated above.

Brian861
03-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Mine also starts with a 3 - shipped on Jul 13, 2017

from the copyright page

I found mine at Walmart

Thanks again, guys. Looking to pick one up and wanted the lowest print available. I thought that maybe some '2's' were issued as well.

Did the PB with the same cover have a '1'?

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-21-2021, 05:32 PM
Yes, the paperback with the same cover artwork starts with a '1'.
It was published before the hardcover, January 2016 according to the copyright page.

Brian861
03-22-2021, 11:55 AM
Yes, the paperback with the same cover artwork starts with a '1'.
It was published before the hardcover, January 2016 according to the copyright page.

:thumbsup:

kingfan2323
03-22-2021, 10:59 PM
Regarding Colorado Kid Illustrated Edition. (trade PB reissue):

Was there more than one printing?

If so does Anyone have a "first edition" they may want to sell me?

Thx

ISO: anything DT related #246

Stockerlone
04-22-2021, 05:51 AM
Is there somewhere a list with all the official signed Stephen King cards ?

I own some of them.....

herbertwest
04-23-2021, 08:29 AM
Small reminder that tomorrow (april 24th) will be the "Independant Bookstore Day" in the USA, with an exclusive print version of "In The Tall Grass"
Only tomorrow
Only in Independant bookstores !
(and then probably resold on ebay)

https://i1.wp.com/firewireblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/tallgrass_stephenking_joehill.jpg?resize=580%2C791&ssl=1

Brian James Freeman
04-23-2021, 08:56 AM
Only tomorrow
Only in Independant bookstores !
(and then probably resold on ebay)

Truer words have never been posted...

Brian

herbertwest
04-23-2021, 09:33 AM
I heard that there are 300 signed copies splitted among the 700 stores!

surly
04-29-2021, 05:08 PM
the other day someone posted a picture in one of the Facebook collector groups of a reply letter they received from King's office years back. I don't doubt the legitimacy of the letter, but the signature looked off to me. has it ever been confirmed whether King's secretary occasionally signed on his behalf?

Curly
04-29-2021, 11:44 PM
the other day someone posted a picture in one of the Facebook collector groups of a reply letter they received from King's office years back. I don't doubt the legitimacy of the letter, but the signature looked off to me. has it ever been confirmed whether King's secretary occasionally signed on his behalf?

Yes Shirley signed lots of things for him.

surly
04-30-2021, 09:48 AM
is there a rough time frame known of when that was happening?
are there any verified or confirmed examples posted anywhere?
that might be an interesting resource to have.

Curly
04-30-2021, 02:26 PM
is there a rough time frame known of when that was happening?
are there any verified or confirmed examples posted anywhere?
that might be an interesting resource to have.

Yes. When Shirley was his secretary. I have dozens of Steve signed letters. And some which were signed by Shirley. And my biggest collection are ones signed Stephen.
If purchased most of mine from Betts before David bought it.

Br!an
05-04-2021, 02:49 PM
I love that Curly replied to surly in regards to Shirley.

It's the little things in life.

Randall Flagg
05-04-2021, 02:59 PM
Surely you jest.

BrewMeister
05-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Perhaps, but don't call him Shirley.

surly
05-04-2021, 04:28 PM
hehe. it took days and days of coordination to get the timing just right.

webstar1000
05-07-2021, 04:38 AM
GUYS... is the town from Salem’s modeled offer any town? Did king just make it up?

Joe315
05-07-2021, 04:48 AM
GUYS... is the town from Salem’s modeled offer any town? Did king just make it up?

Durham, Maine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem%27s_Lot_(Stephen_King) check out the origin section.

jonster monster
05-07-2021, 06:49 AM

Here's another take on part of his inspiration for the book:

"In the interview, King discusses his inspiration for the book, which came to him while he was traveling with friends through Vermont and was pointed out a town upstate called Jeremiah's Lot. Supposedly, according to King's friend, everyone in the town disappeared in 1908. King explained that his friend told him about how, when someone discovered the town, it was completely abandoned, yet inside the houses, dinner was still set on some tables and stores still contained money."

https://screenrant.com/salems-lot-stephen-king-favorite-book-reason/

Brian861
05-31-2021, 07:57 PM
Does the UK 1st trade edition of Insomnia have the price on the inside of the DJ?

Curly
05-31-2021, 11:24 PM
Does the UK 1st trade edition of Insomnia have the price on the inside of the DJ?

Every UK book has the price printed on it. It's the law. If it does not have a price it is an export copy. The UK prints books for all its 53 Commonwealth countries and they all have different currencies, hence blank price.

Brian861
06-01-2021, 01:51 AM
Thanks, Curly. I was thinking export copy but wanted to double check. Didn't realize the UK had 53 Commonwealths, wow.

HumphreyBBear
06-01-2021, 01:29 PM
This is fascinating to me.
I was the one who sent Brian the Insomnia, thinking it was a Hodder and Stoughton UK first. I live in one of those 53 commonwealth countries (Australia) and used to buy my hardcopies from the local book stores as they came out. I wasn't really collecting them - just wanted to read them.
Later I started collecting limiteds and such and began building a set of USA firsts. I still have most of my Hodder and Stoughtons but have given a few away (and sent one to Brian).
Upon learning about the exports, I have checked my remaining Hodder and Stoughtons. Four of them have no price on the inside of the DJ (Desperation, Regulators, Black House and one of my Dolores Claibornes - the undersized one). All others have the price (in pounds) printed on them.
The lack of consistency is strange - I wonder why they bother to remove the price for some printings.

TCCBodhi
06-07-2021, 05:55 PM
Do we have a Master List of all the different Audiobook versions out there? ie who narrated & when it was released. Some of the books have 3-5 different versions and they don't all make mention of who is doing the narrating, so I've got some unlabeled versions, and then some where I don't know which version was released first. This missing information is really driving my OCD crazy.

Surely, one of us has compiled this information somewhere here at some point, I'm just not having any luck finding this list.

Randall Flagg
06-07-2021, 06:47 PM
Do we have a Master List of all the different Audiobook versions out there? ie who narrated & when it was released. Some of the books have 3-5 different versions and they don't all make mention of who is doing the narrating, so I've got some unlabeled versions, and then some where I don't know which version was released first. This missing information is really driving my OCD crazy.

Surely, one of us has compiled this information somewhere here at some point, I'm just not having any luck finding this list.
We don't have a list in our Catalog.
Lots of work to compile and create each entry. Feel free to do the legwork.

J

TCCBodhi
06-07-2021, 07:03 PM
I'll put together what I have. Perhaps others can fill in the blanks when they see them

Curly
06-07-2021, 11:02 PM
I have the list you want. Pm your email.

HumphreyBBear
06-09-2021, 03:51 PM
Does anyone here have any of the Stephen King Library "red leather" collection? I can't find much discussion on them, and I feel I have seen comments which dismiss them. I am drawn to sets of things by nature (compulsion?) and am thinking about gathering up some (all) of these). They appear to be reasonably cheap and common. I have one coming just so I can see the build quality (I am not expecting much).

Any thoughts, or is there anywhere else on this huge archive where I can find some previous discussion?

Randall Flagg
06-09-2021, 04:10 PM
Start Here. Feel free to help/add/correct info:

Stephen King Library - Q&A and Complete List? (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?886-Stephen-King-Library-Q-amp-A-and-Complete-List)

Br!an
06-09-2021, 04:20 PM
Does anyone here have any of the Stephen King Library "red leather" collection? I can't find much discussion on them, and I feel I have seen comments which dismiss them. I am drawn to sets of things by nature (compulsion?) and am thinking about gathering up some (all) of these). They appear to be reasonably cheap and common. I have one coming just so I can see the build quality (I am not expecting much).

Any thoughts, or is there anywhere else on this huge archive where I can find some previous discussion?

I bought one of them and decided not to invest in the rest. If you are a completist or just happen to like them then there is nothing wrong with them. There isn't anything very special about them either.

If I did buy a set I'd be sure they were in fine condition. A less than fine set seems unnecessary to me in any circumstance.

HumphreyBBear
06-09-2021, 07:25 PM
Thanks Br1an and J. I am approaching them as something I will like to look at on the shelf, rather than as being particularly collectible. If anyone wants to offload any, let me know.

namelessnpoor
06-09-2021, 10:36 PM
Thanks Br1an and J. I am approaching them as something I will like to look at on the shelf, rather than as being particularly collectible. If anyone wants to offload any, let me know.

At one time I had a complete set. As mentioned they aren't the highest quality but if you just want them for the shelf then you'll be happy with them. I always thought they looked nice on the shelf...all the red together as a set. I bought the bulk of mine as a set and then filled in the missing ones. Sold them as a whole complete set many years ago

herbertwest
06-13-2021, 05:20 AM
I spent a few hours today in order to update the King illustrations catalog as it was outdated.
Also, some entries seem to have disappeared, so don't know what happened there.... oh well

There are still many entries missing in my opinion, so anybody feel free to help
Here is a recap => https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1157-The-King-Illustrations-Catalog&p=1242308#post1242308

Randall Flagg
06-13-2021, 09:46 AM
Thanks for helping.

herbertwest
06-15-2021, 02:46 AM
Could someone please unlock that thread : https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1405-Rare-illustrations&p=870705#post870705

I would like to post some lesser known illustrations that aren't "as such" as books but like in magazines.

Ari_Racing
06-15-2021, 03:12 AM
Done

Nort
06-21-2021, 05:03 AM
Hello,

I hope this is the right forum for this post. If not, could someone please kindly point me to a better locale?

I am seeking information about a “Gunslinger on the Beach” print that I have. It was produced by Audrey’s Glass Onion Graphics in 1983, and is S/L by Michael to 200.

Any info on the history of this print and where it falls in the timeline of “Gunslinger on the Beach” prints would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/6fYc9p3

LDPN!

herbertwest
06-23-2021, 09:34 AM
I have recently been contacted by someone that bought this book.
It's a cover I recognise but almost never see.

Any idea of the value?

https://club-stephenking.fr/wp-content/uploads/images/palaver/misc/salem-doubleday/nightshift---1.jpg
https://club-stephenking.fr/wp-content/uploads/images/palaver/misc/salem-doubleday/nightshift---2.jpg

Ari_Racing
06-23-2021, 09:42 AM
I sold my set of four books with that style for 120 (Carrie, Salem, Shining and Shift)

herbertwest
06-24-2021, 12:29 AM
Thanks

herbertwest
07-07-2021, 11:30 AM
Anybody got the printing date of the first edition of "Storm of the Century"?

The catalog mentions "February 1,1999" but I am guessing this is the release date?
Any infos about the printing?

BrewMeister
07-07-2021, 12:58 PM
Anybody got the printing date of the first edition of "Storm of the Century"?

The catalog mentions "February 1,1999" but I am guessing this is the release date?
Any infos about the printing?

Not sure if this is what you need, but the book states "First Pocket Books trade paperback printing February 1999".

If nothing else, you brought back some memories. I first checked my main collection, which has the book club hardcover edition. Then I checked my receipts and found my scan of the cash register receipt, for the paperback, from Betts Bookstore dated February 22, 1999. $15 plus $5 shipping. Man, I bought so many of my King books from Stu back in the day - perusing a paper catalog and phoning in an order. Those were the days!

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-07-2021, 01:31 PM
My store receipt for STORM OF THE CENTURY is dated 02/13/99.

herbertwest
07-07-2021, 01:55 PM
Thanks for your replies.
Isnt that odd that the book was "printed" the month it was up for sale?

BrewMeister
07-07-2021, 03:07 PM
Isnt that odd that the book was "printed" the month it was up for sale?

It does seem a little odd, but I don't know how fast a publisher can mass produce books, and how fast they ship them. I'd say my order from Betts could have been a pre-order, but if ur2ndbiggestfan has a store receipt from 02/13, at least some were obviously available by then.

[EDIT] As I think about it, I assume the publisher has to lay out the title page just like everything else. So I'd think it wouldn't be that uncommon to "plan" on printing the book in February, but perhaps they actually start earlier or later than that? Just a guess on my end.

Br!an
07-07-2021, 03:35 PM
The term "printing" isn't the same as the term printed. They are using the term printing for the release date. They were obviously printed prior to that date.

herbertwest
07-07-2021, 11:46 PM
That would makes more sense :)

herbertwest
07-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Does anybody knows when the german ES (IT) by Phantasia was released? May 1986?

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-08-2021, 06:52 PM
I checked my old card files, and it also says May, 1986.

Stockerlone
07-08-2021, 10:21 PM
I checked my old card files, and it also says May, 1986.

Have not found my old files but May 1986 sounds ok, it was the
worldfirst edition.

herbertwest
07-09-2021, 12:04 AM
Thanks

webstar1000
07-11-2021, 12:35 PM
So it states in the catalog there is 10 artist copies of the S/L Gunslinger. Does anyone have one? I am looking at buying one but have never seen one or know what they look like… anyone ?

herbertwest
07-12-2021, 02:18 PM
In the catalog is stated that there are 900 arabic numbered copies of "Six Stories"
Out of curiosity, anybody has pictures of what the arabic numbers look like in those?

MikeDuke
07-12-2021, 02:25 PM
Arabic numbers are just the numbers you know; 1,2,3 etc..

Randall Flagg
07-12-2021, 02:29 PM
#802 is Arabic numbers.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Six_Stories_sig.JPG

herbertwest
07-12-2021, 02:36 PM
Ok, understood. Compared to roman numbered or lettered

Thanks

HumphreyBBear
07-19-2021, 04:34 PM
I recently bought a Gunslinger signed by the artist from Kris, and I have some of the later Artist editions (SOS, TDT and WTTK). I am now thinking I might try to put together a set of Artist editions. My question is this; am I right in thinking that there are no official Artist Editions prior to Wolves of The Calla?

sullichin
07-20-2021, 06:55 AM
Dark Regions has a Stephen King "Limited and Trade Edition Subscription Service" offer today

https://darkregions.com/products/one-day-offer-stephen-king-limited-edition-and-trade-edition-subscription-special-offer-today-only

It's like $917 after the promo code SALE and tax

This one day Stephen King special offer includes the next 5 limited edition books and the next 10 trade edition books written or co-written by Stephen King that Dark Regions Press offers for sale with sufficient inventory with estimated 20% to 40% discounts off retail price for each edition for the remainder of 2021, all of 2022 and all of 2023!

Guaranteed to include a minimum in retail value as the cost of this subscription after the 30% off SALE discount code is applied and before tax/shipping or your money back AND you keep all of the books! Only 10 slots available. This special offering in no way affects Stephen King Mystery Box customers or their shipments. Limit 1 per customer/household.

Really don't know what to expect here lol

Randall Flagg
07-20-2021, 07:14 AM
I recently bought a Gunslinger signed by the artist from Kris, and I have some of the later Artist editions (SOS, TDT and WTTK). I am now thinking I might try to put together a set of Artist editions. My question is this; am I right in thinking that there are no official Artist Editions prior to Wolves of The Calla?
Correct.

herbertwest
07-24-2021, 07:00 AM
Anybody got a PDF / ebook / digital version of the abridged version of "the stand"?

Br!an
07-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Anybody got a PDF / ebook / digital version of the abridged version of "the stand"?

https://archive.org/download/thestand_stephenking/The%20Stand.pdf

herbertwest
07-25-2021, 12:57 AM
Thanks Brian, but if I am not mistaken, this is the full unabridged version?

Br!an
07-25-2021, 04:28 AM
Thanks Brian, but if I am not mistaken, this is the full unabridged version?

There are no digital copies of the 1978 edition of The Stand. They didn't use digital copies back then. Someone would need to scan the entire book.

herbertwest
07-25-2021, 04:29 AM
Yeah, I understand that and wondered if someone did find a digital version since
But I guess not

Thanks anyway

Br!an
07-25-2021, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I understand that and wondered if someone did find a digital version since
But I guess not

Thanks anyway

I'll keep an eye out for one.

mmalling
07-28-2021, 05:08 PM
I've begun my hunt for #321 S/L DT books. I've been searching bunch of online sellers using Biblio and have run into a weird situation. There is a particular seller whom has multiple S/L books in the series but will not reveal what number they are! I've email this seller and asked for the number and the response I received was basically: "Yeah, I don't check numbers. I get that alot."
Is this common? Anyone else ever run into this?

ajw2910
07-28-2021, 06:15 PM
Sounds like someone I wouldn’t want to deal with………

mmalling
07-28-2021, 06:19 PM

Agreed, I'd just like to know if I NEED deal with him...LOL

ratchet41
07-28-2021, 11:02 PM
really nobody scanned the Original (1978) version of The Stand? i did not know that

ajw2910
07-29-2021, 02:13 AM

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I have never run into anyone that either didn’t already know the number they had or wasn’t at least willing to check. That’s a strange one…….

namelessnpoor
07-29-2021, 03:23 AM

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I have never run into anyone that either didn’t already know the number they had or wasn’t at least willing to check. That’s a strange one…….

If you are dealing with a seller on ABE then good luck. There are a couple sellers on there who refuse to tell you the numbers. I have tried many many times to find out the numbers. Even tried just talking to the guy to find out why he refuses. Tried to explain that he would possibly sell the books faster. He told me I was wasting my time, he doesn't believe in matching numbers and he refuses to tell me the numbers of any of the books. So weird. Obviously he doesn't need the money and isn't motivated to sell them because they have been for sale for along time. Copper Dragon Books is one of the sellers and I can't remember the other.

mmalling
07-29-2021, 03:43 AM

If you are dealing with a seller on ABE then good luck. There are a couple sellers on there who refuse to tell you the numbers. I have tried many many times to find out the numbers. Even tried just talking to the guy to find out why he refuses. Tried to explain that he would possibly sell the books faster. He told me I was wasting my time, he doesn't believe in matching numbers and he refuses to tell me the numbers of any of the books. So weird. Obviously he doesn't need the money and isn't motivated to sell them because they have been for sale for along time. Copper Dragon Books is one of the sellers and I can't remember the other.

Interesting, I think I actually got a reply with a number from Copper Dragon - but maybe not... https://quintessentialrarebooks.com/ was the one that refused me. So weird - and frustrating.

namelessnpoor
07-29-2021, 07:04 AM

Interesting, I think I actually got a reply with a number from Copper Dragon - but maybe not... https://quintessentialrarebooks.com/ was the one that refused me. So weird - and frustrating.

Quintessential is definitely the other one I couldn't remember

St. Troy
07-29-2021, 07:14 AM
really nobody scanned the Original (1978) version of The Stand? i did not know that

It amazes me as well - with the number of King readers, the number holding that version of that work in high esteem, and the general readiness of the fan base to document/analyze the works.

webstar1000
07-29-2021, 08:07 AM

It amazes me as well - with the number of King readers, the number holding that version of that work in high esteem, and the general readiness of the fan base to document/analyze the works.

Isnt the rewrite considered so much better though? Man I cannot remember what version I read its been so long.

St. Troy
07-29-2021, 08:35 AM
Isnt the rewrite considered so much better though? Man I cannot remember what version I read its been so long.

I'm not sure there's much of a consensus on this:

Pro-original edition:
- some feel the original, by way of being the "original," is the final word and any changes are unnecessary or even offensive;

- some, while not philosophically opposed to the Uncut edition, feel that the added pages are bloat that deserved to be cut (to which I say "pshaw!" - The Stand was always intended to sprawl);

Pro-Uncut edition:
- some (including me) prefer the Uncut edition's fuller, richer experience;

- some (also including me) recognize that the original novel wasn't the original story (abridged as it was) and that the Uncut edition is the closest we'll get to the original story.

webstar1000
07-29-2021, 08:52 AM

Pro-original edition:
- some feel the original, by way of being the "original," is the final word and any changes are unnecessary or even offensive;

- some, while not philosophically opposed to the Uncut edition, feel that the added pages are bloat that deserved to be cut (to which I say "pshaw!" - The Stand was always intended to sprawl);

Pro-Uncut edition:

- some (also including me) recognize that the original novel wasn't the original story (abridged as it was) and that the Uncut edition is the closest we'll get to the original story.

Thanks... So you would say for a good re-read... grab the uncut?

St. Troy
07-29-2021, 09:12 AM
...So you would say for a good re-read... grab the uncut?

Absolutely.

But for bonus points, if you want to be a psycho like I was around 8 years ago, you could read them back to back (original followed by uncut) to make sure you knew what was new.

shaq
07-29-2021, 01:14 PM
I would love to do that

herbertwest
07-29-2021, 02:52 PM

Pro-original edition:

Pro-Uncut edition:

Thanks... So you would say for a good re-read... grab the uncut?

If you want a quick read though, get the french paperback of the cut version.
It's even shorter than the american cut version.
About half of it :D

St. Troy
07-29-2021, 04:29 PM
…which reminds me: speaking of merciless edits, I think I read (from King himself in an old interview) that a Dutch translation of It was only ~600 pages long.

frik
07-30-2021, 03:31 AM
…which reminds me: speaking of merciless edits, I think I read (from King himself in an old interview) that a Dutch translation of It was only ~600 pages long.

The Dutch publisher decided to cut it by a few hundred or so pages.
Don't ask why...and not sure they even asked for permission to do so....

sk

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-31-2021, 05:44 AM
Did CUJO from PS Publishing ever arrive anywhere?
I have one on order from Sub Press but still have not received it.
I can't remember if they were damaged or were the slipcases defective?

Curly
08-01-2021, 12:20 AM

They are not even printed yet.

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-01-2021, 04:32 AM

They are not even printed yet.

Thank you!
That clears that up!

herbertwest
08-04-2021, 02:53 AM
Still no signed copies of "Billy Summers" out there?
I would expect Richard, Matt, Bev, maybe Ari to get one, no? :)

Ari_Racing
08-04-2021, 03:29 AM
I saw that Gerald Winters got an inscribed UK proof.

Curly
08-04-2021, 07:46 AM

Yes, inscribed to him and dated. I am so envious.

jon10g
08-04-2021, 07:48 AM
And proof number 19!

Cook
08-04-2021, 04:59 PM
And proof number 19!

Does anybody have a link?

mmalling
08-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Anyone wanna share their "short list" of places they look for books? Particularly interested in auction sites like heritage, and other non-abe-or-ebay type places 😀.
Not sure if these are closely guarded secrets like fishing holes, but figured I'd ask anyways!

DoctorZaius
08-04-2021, 07:32 PM
Anyone wanna share their "short list" of places they look for books? Particularly interested in auction sites like heritage, and other non-abe-or-ebay type places 😀.
Not sure if these are closely guarded secrets like fishing holes, but figured I'd ask anyways!

Honestly, some of your best deals will be with some of the folks here. There's a lot of people who are willing to help each other out. Use the King Books/Items Wanted thread - look at it closely and you will see who the sellers are. The best though is Bett's Books - you gotta check David out. Tomas' website over at Stephen King Collector (The Collector) is a great resource for some websites as well - look for the "links" button.

Merlin1958
08-04-2021, 10:00 PM

With his reputation I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do the signing himself!!!! LOL So far, that's the only signed copy I've heard tell of out there!!! I don't suppose, Mr. King has the desire to go out on the road and do signings anymore. He technically doesn't really need to and I doubt the publishers could do anything to entice him anymore. Would be nice for us fans if he did do one final farewell signing tour though that is for sure.

shaq
08-04-2021, 11:56 PM

With his reputation I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do the signing himself!!!! LOL So far, that's the only signed copy I've heard tell of out there!!! I don't suppose, Mr. King has the desire to go out on the road and do signings anymore. He technically doesn't really need to and I doubt the publishers could do anything to entice him anymore. Would be nice for us fans if he did do one final farewell signing tour though that is for sure.

Seems like he is still quite well connected, if not well liked.

This isn’t a spoiler, but about the name of a building in Billy Summers, and must admit I wondered if it was named after him, but subtlety different..

mmalling
08-05-2021, 02:20 AM

Honestly, some of your best deals will be with some of the folks here. There's a lot of people who are willing to help each other out. Use the King Books/Items Wanted thread - look at it closely and you will see who the sellers are. The best though is Bett's Books - you gotta check David out. Tomas' website over at Stephen King Collector (The Collector) is a great resource for some websites as well - look for the "links" button.

100% on the resources here! I've already reached out and made deals with the folks here and FB groups. I also troll around web pages each night and was looking for some new places to troll...lol
Thanks for the reply!

jon10g
08-05-2021, 07:57 AM
And proof number 19!

Does anybody have a link?

https://mobile.twitter.com/GWandSonBooks/status/1422296486184902657

Ari_Racing
08-05-2021, 08:47 AM
Matt has an inscribed copy as wel and he got it a long time ago :)

Merlin1958
08-06-2021, 08:09 PM

Seems like he is still quite well connected, if not well liked.

This isn’t a spoiler, but about the name of a building in Billy Summers, and must admit I wondered if it was named after him, but subtlety different..

Looks can be decieving. To be fair though, I suppose I'm still hurting for being suckered by him on some issues in the past. I really believed and supported the guy and ended up taking it in the..........well, lets just say it wasn't pleasant. Who really knows in this time of the internet, right?

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-08-2021, 02:21 PM
This is not a question but a heads up for all of you thousands of King paperback collectors out there.
I don't want to look in the BILLY SUMMERS thread because of spoilers, I haven't read the book yet.
If you want to get your UK paperback orders in, to be sure of getting 1st printings, now's the time to do it at The Book Depository.
They come to $28.46 with free postage, publication date June 2022.
ISBNs are:
978-152-936-5702
978-152-936-5665

Brian861
09-13-2021, 02:32 PM
This is not a question but a heads up for all of you thousands of King paperback collectors out there.
I don't want to look in the BILLY SUMMERS thread because of spoilers, I haven't read the book yet.
If you want to get your UK paperback orders in, to be sure of getting 1st printings, now's the time to do it at The Book Depository.
They come to $28.46 with free postage, publication date June 2022.
ISBNs are:
978-152-936-5702
978-152-936-5665

And even then is a gamble. Thanks for the info though.

herbertwest
10-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Does anybody has a list (even not comprehensive, even just a few titles) of some of the UK books that has a facsimile signatures? For instance on bookplaces and/or covers

I know of : 112263, Dolores, Just After Sunset, Insomnia, N&D, Revival, TWTTKH, Pet Sematary (PS Publishing), IT special limited edition

Any other?
I sort of remember seeing some on the covers of some books.
Thanks

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-06-2021, 06:43 PM
I just noticed a strange thing on my WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE UK special editions.
I have one of the 200 copy signed editions and 2 of the 700 copy editions.
Of my 2 700 copy editions, one is open and it is numbered and has the facsimile signature. The other is still in the shrinkwrap, but the book inside is identical to the 200 copy SIGNED edition! The paper sticker on the outside though claims it is one of the 700 copy editions!
Very weird, the only way to see if it was accidentally a signed edition mistakenly labeled a facsimile signed edition is to open it!
Decisions, decisions!

Roseannebarr
10-06-2021, 08:38 PM
I just noticed a strange thing on my WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE UK special editions.
Of my 2 700 copy editions, one is open and it is numbered and has the facsimile signature. The other is still in the shrinkwrap, but the book inside is identical to the 200 copy SIGNED edition! The paper sticker on the outside though claims it is one of the 700 copy editions!
Very weird, the only way to see if it was accidentally a signed edition mistakenly labeled a facsimile signed edition is to open it!
Decisions, decisions!

Please open it and let me know! Curious indeed! Better yet, let Ari open it, it will have King's signature along with two other books signed, his phone number and a rare collectable.

HumphreyBBear
10-06-2021, 10:38 PM
The suspense is killing us

shaq
10-07-2021, 01:18 AM
Decisions, decisions!

That’s be a great bonus if it was actually signed.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-07-2021, 04:02 AM
Here's a picture, just in case I've made some kind of mistake.
As you can see, the designation is 700 copies with facsimile signature, but the spine of the book has the gold lettering and rough composition of the 200 copy signed edition.
What really irks me is that there is a partial tear of the shrinkwrap on the front of the book. Poor shrinkwrap!

https://i.imgur.com/e3o4YBj.jpg

amd013
10-07-2021, 07:06 AM
Decisions, decisions!

Ok, I am confused, I have both editions, and the slipcases and spine of books are identical. I can only tell the difference by opening the book (plus the edition of 700 still has shrink wrap, and the plate, previous owner cut a door in the shrink wrap so book can be removed.

So bottom line is, I don't think that is a mislabeled 1/200 book.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-07-2021, 08:49 AM
Decisions, decisions!

Ok, I am confused, I have both editions, and the slipcases and spine of books are identical. I can only tell the difference by opening the book (plus the edition of 700 still has shrink wrap, and the plate, previous owner cut a door in the shrink wrap so book can be removed.

That is why I think I may have made some kind of mistake, because the dust jacket on my 700 copy book is smooth with white lettering (i.e., just like the Hodder trade edition), the only one of the 3 which is opened, while the other two dust jackets have gold lettering and the books seem to be made of a rougher composition. I don't understand it myself. However, the book itself is numbered and has the colored plates, etc. I bought it from CD. I'm sure the error is on my part, but I can't remember the circumstances.

stroppygoblin
10-07-2021, 01:58 PM
Decisions, decisions!

That is why I think I may have made some kind of mistake, because the dust jacket on my 700 copy book is smooth with white lettering (i.e., just like the Hodder trade edition), the only one of the 3 which is opened, while the other two dust jackets have gold lettering and the books seem to be made of a rougher composition. I don't understand it myself. However, the book itself is numbered and has the colored plates, etc. I bought it from CD. I'm sure the error is on my part, but I can't remember the circumstances.

From memory, neither book (700 or 200) came with a dust jacket as standard. I think CD PS Publishing offered a limited few of the 700's to include the dust jacket from the trade as a bonus item and it was shrink wrapped with the dust jacket already on the book.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-07-2021, 02:40 PM
That would explain the whole thing then.
Thanks Simon!