PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Collecting Questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57

WeDealInLead
12-29-2019, 04:17 PM
First edition can have multiple printings. Some sellers specify "true first" to reassure potential buyers it's the first printing. Some sellers only say "first edition" and omit the fact it's a later printing. It's a little scummy but technically they're correct.

TnTzDad
12-29-2019, 04:23 PM
First edition can have multiple printings. Some sellers specify "true first" to reassure potential buyers it's the first printing. Some sellers only say "first edition" and omit the fact it's a later printing. It's a little scummy but technically they're correct.

Fair enough. Is that based on publisher or is it standard for NAL, Grant, Doubleday...? How would one determine if, say this Bachman Book hardcover was a 1st / 4th?

WeDealInLead
12-29-2019, 04:25 PM
I don't have a later printing but I assume the number line would start with 4.

TnTzDad
12-29-2019, 04:26 PM
That's what I stated in my response, so I have to assume I was correct. The number line is the printing.

Br!an
12-29-2019, 05:19 PM
That's what I stated in my response, so I have to assume I was correct. The number line is the printing.

The numberline is the printing. They are still first editions unless the format significantly changes. So they are first editions and whatever printing is indicated by the numberline.

lotuz
12-29-2019, 08:35 PM
Quick question, and maybe a dumb one. I'm selling my lesser Bachman Books on eBay and just got asked this: "Do you know what printing it is? Like 1st edition/1st printing or 1st edition/4th printing? Thanks!"

My response: "It has a full number line, which makes it a 1st edition. I'm unsure why some say 1st / 4th. As far as I know it is either or, not both. If it were a 4th edition or 4th printing, the numbers 1, 2 & 3 would be excluded. I hope that's what you needed to hear."

Am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you were just paraphrasing here, but I don't think this response is correct. As WDIL and Brian noted, the number line determines the printing - so a 1st edition 4th printing should have the words "First Edition" on the copyright page (if the publisher uses that convention), but should be missing the numbers 1-3 in the number line. The reason I disagree with your stated response is that a "full number line" is a number line that has no missing numbers, so a 4th printing number line by definition can't be a "full number line".

EDIT:

Fair enough. Is that based on publisher or is it standard for NAL, Grant, Doubleday...? How would one determine if, say this Bachman Book hardcover was a 1st / 4th?

Most publishers use similar conventions but there are definitely differences between publishers. Some use gutter codes and other notations to separate editions and printings. I'd double check the catalog here to see if there are any other "points" that a first edition/first printing should have.

Lurker
12-29-2019, 08:53 PM
And Random House has been known to print a first edition, first printing with the numberline starting with 2 like Black House.

Garrell
12-29-2019, 09:07 PM
And Random House has been known to print a first edition, first printing with the numberline starting with 2 like Black House.
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy also starts with 2

TnTzDad
12-31-2019, 07:06 AM
IYHO, what's the going rate for a NF 1st Rage PB? eBay has one with someone's name written on the inside cover @ $895, which has been there a while.

Randall Flagg
12-31-2019, 08:42 AM
NF Rage 1st (w/o) any writing, plates etc. $800+

Merlin1958
01-10-2020, 01:17 PM
Is there a size difference between the US and UK first editions of CTCC?

Jimimck
01-10-2020, 03:52 PM

It’s not the size of the wand that matters, it’s the magic inside that counts.

Merlin1958
01-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Oh, a fucking comedian eh, mate? lol

Jimimck
01-10-2020, 04:39 PM

Oh, a fucking comedian eh, mate? lol

😁😁

Hunchback Jack
01-10-2020, 05:11 PM

Yes, the UK edition is bigger: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20350-Charlie-The-Choo-Choo-Sales&p=1068718&viewfull=1#post1068718

Merlin1958
01-10-2020, 10:54 PM

Yes, the UK edition is bigger: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20350-Charlie-The-Choo-Choo-Sales&p=1068718&viewfull=1#post1068718

FUCK!!!! I thought so!!! Thank you

Beverly Marsh
01-14-2020, 06:42 AM
Hey boils and ghouls! I was wondering if anyone knows the story behind TGWLTG pop up book signing? Did King do a signing at Briar Patch in Bangor? Were these pretty common or are they fairly rare?
I have one that I bought a few years ago and I think I'm going to pop it up on ebay to help buy something else and trying to get a little history. It's in like new condition.

Thank you in advance!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-14-2020, 10:45 AM
Hey boils and ghouls! I was wondering if anyone knows the story behind TGWLTG pop up book signing? Did King do a signing at Briar Patch in Bangor? Were these pretty common or are they fairly rare?
I have one that I bought a few years ago and I think I'm going to pop it up on ebay to help buy something else and trying to get a little history. It's in like new condition.

Thank you in advance!

He did do a signing for this. They were all signed on the front with a silver sharpie. I've seen quite a few on ebay.

sentinel
01-14-2020, 01:53 PM

Thank you in advance!

Yes, there was a signing in Bangor. I think there were a couple of hundred signed. Stu Tinker got maybe 20, I bought one from him at the time. I've seen them sell for $250 range.

Beverly Marsh
01-14-2020, 05:59 PM
Thanks fellas!

ICry4Oy
02-06-2020, 11:09 AM
Stupid questions time!

I have never sold anything but plan on getting rid of a lot of my collection. PLEASE don't pm me unless it is to answer my questions.

Boxes/packaging: For some books like my Suntup books I have the original boxes and could put the books in there then wrap that in bubble wrap and put it in another box. The smaller Home Depot/Lowes boxes don't seem that sturdy. Is there a better option for boxes?

Paypal: I've had Paypal for many years and only have used it to buy stuff every once in a while. If someone pays me using Paypal, how do I get that money out of Paypal and back to me?

Shipping: I'm guessing USPS is the least desirable option for sending expensive books. Anyone have a preference, especially considering price IF I deside to send outside the USA?

WeDealInLead
02-06-2020, 11:19 AM
1. If someone asks you to buy a box to preserve the Suntup box, kindly refer them to a therapist. Slap a new label on top of yours and send it that way. Post office and UPS stores sell boxes. I haven't paid for a single one yet; grocery stores and dollar stores have free boxes.

2. There's a button "withdraw funds" that transfers money to your account.

3. As a potential buyer outside the US I would flat out refuse UPS or FedEx because of their brokerage fee. Some people have gotten lucky and gotten away without paying it, most do not. I'd rather spend that brokerage fee on buying another book which I'm sure benefits the seller as well.

Br!an
02-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Boxes: https://www.uline.com/Boxes-Cardboard (https://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult?KeywordTyped=boxes&keywords=Boxes%20Cardboard)

PayPal: Make sure you have the bank account you want the money to go into attached to your PayPal account and that you select that bank account for the funds transfer.

Shipping: Use USPS. I will usually use Media Mail for domestic book shipping. I make sure the book is well packaged to help it survive handling. You can use Priority Mail so that the box gets to the buyer faster which can prevent some potential damage. Priority Mail also provides an included $50 of insurance. ($200 Priority International) Be sure to get the tracking if you use Media Mail. Tracking is included with Priority Mail. You might also consider requesting a signature for more valuable books. PayPal has a discounted shipping label creator available. After you are logged into PayPal go to this link: https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create

webstar1000
02-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Boxes: https://www.uline.com/Boxes-Cardboard (https://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult?KeywordTyped=boxes&keywords=Boxes%20Cardboard)

PayPal: Make sure you have the bank account you want the money to go into attached to your PayPal account and that you select that bank account for the funds transfer.

Shipping: Use USPS. I will usually use Media Mail. I make sure the book is well packaged to help it survive handling. You can use Priority Mail so that the box gets to the buyer faster which can prevent some potential damage. Priority Mail also provides an included $50 of insurance. Be sure to get the tracking if you use Media Mail. Tracking is included with Priority Mail. You might also consider requesting a signature for more valuable books.

Everything Brian said other than I will only use UPS. They ship international and have never lost or damaged a package on me in 10 years. I sell and but A LOT of books too. I cannot say enough good about them BUT if I lived in the US I would probably use USPS for the main land.

surly
02-06-2020, 12:28 PM
3. As a potential buyer outside the US I would flat out refuse UPS or FedEx because of their brokerage fee. Some people have gotten lucky and gotten away without paying it, most do not. I'd rather spend that brokerage fee on buying another book which I'm sure benefits the seller as well.

^^^^
this.
Can't stand UPS or FedEx. Their fees can be 40%+ of the US value of the item, which is robbery. Plus if you miss them, it's a pain in the ass to pick the item up. For outside of the US, expedited USPS with a tracking number is always my preference.

lotuz
02-06-2020, 12:46 PM

Shipping: Use USPS. I will usually use Media Mail for domestic book shipping. I make sure the book is well packaged to help it survive handling. You can use Priority Mail so that the box gets to the buyer faster which can prevent some potential damage. Priority Mail also provides an included $50 of insurance. ($200 Priority International) Be sure to get the tracking if you use Media Mail. Tracking is included with Priority Mail. You might also consider requesting a signature for more valuable books. PayPal has a discounted shipping label creator available. After you are logged into PayPal go to this link: https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create

Yep, all this, 100%.

I would add that my personal packaging preference (both sending and receiving) is to have bubble wrap around the books and packing peanuts between the wrapped book and the box. You should be able to drop the box on one of its corners (the weakest and most easily damaged spot) and not harm the book. To me that's the mark of a successfully wrapped package. If you do this then you shouldn't have to worry about the extended travel time of USPS Media Mail. As to where to get packing peanuts, I don't know the best place. UPS and FedEx stores are too expensive, IMO. I have a garbage bag that I constantly replenish from my book purchases and use for packing when I sell...

webstar1000
02-06-2020, 01:25 PM

^^^^
this.
Can't stand UPS or FedEx. Their fees can be 40%+ of the US value of the item, which is robbery. Plus if you miss them, it's a pain in the ass to pick the item up. For outside of the US, expedited USPS with a tracking number is always my preference.

If your paying fees you need to ask the seller to lower the values. Have a fine arts policy that will cover your stuff while not in the house. Then there is no fees. I bet you I haven’t paid fees in 3 years or so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeDealInLead
02-06-2020, 01:39 PM
Insert Neo saying "Whoa, deja vu."

I'm not sure exactly how you're not paying fees but I stopped buying things if the only option is UPS, period. Value never even factored here, I'd pay a UPS brokerage fee (not import fees, to clarify) even on a package containing three $15 records.

webstar1000
02-06-2020, 01:43 PM
Insert Neo saying "Whoa, deja vu."

I'm not sure exactly how you're not paying fees but I stopped buying things if the only option is UPS, period. Value never even factored here, I'd pay a UPS brokerage fee (not import fees, to clarify) even on a package containing three $15 records.

Wow.
I do not. Under $20 nothing. And most times they let it go under $100. Big ticket items I only get if they are willing to ship with low value. Haven’t paid in forever man. Very lucky.

wizardsrainbow
02-06-2020, 02:13 PM

Yep, all this, 100%.

I would add that my personal packaging preference (both sending and receiving) is to have bubble wrap around the books and packing peanuts between the wrapped book and the box. You should be able to drop the box on one of its corners (the weakest and most easily damaged spot) and not harm the book. To me that's the mark of a successfully wrapped package. If you do this then you shouldn't have to worry about the extended travel time of USPS Media Mail. As to where to get packing peanuts, I don't know the best place. UPS and FedEx stores are too expensive, IMO. I have a garbage bag that I constantly replenish from my book purchases and use for packing when I sell...

I ship A LOT at Betts....I've NEVER had to buy peanuts in 10 years running Betts....in fact I have 4 XL leaf bags full as extras...I buy all my boxes at ULINE...bubble wrap comes via Amazon where free shipping is the kicker. I buy 12 -16 rolls at a time....Shipping outside the US... I ALWAYS put a low value on customs form and USED BOOK so customer does not have to pay tax....

amd013
02-06-2020, 02:32 PM

Yep, all this, 100%.

I ship A LOT at Betts....I've NEVER had to buy peanuts in 10 years running Betts....in fact I have 4 XL leaf bags full as extras...I buy all my boxes at ULINE...bubble wrap comes via Amazon where free shipping is the kicker. I buy 12 -16 rolls at a time....Shipping outside the US... I ALWAYS put a low value on customs form and USED BOOK so customer does not have to pay tax....

Wow, I probably have more peanuts then you, which is weird since a large amount of them came from you to begin with LOL! I probably have close to 2 dozen garbage bags full of them. I think two of them came from the box George Beahm sent the Knowing Darkness book in. I have also started saving (when possible) the bubble wrap you and others use. I have two large boxes full of them (folded up).

Boxes on the other hand, I have not been saving, except for the Suntup boxes.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-06-2020, 11:27 PM

Totally agree with this. UPS is the worst ever.

stroppygoblin
02-07-2020, 04:28 AM
As we all reuse peanuts from parcels shipped between one another, it might be fun to write a small message on one of those peanuts and see where it ends up.... :idea:

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 04:30 AM

in ten years... I have had nothing but top service, no lost packages, no damaged ones and tracking either on or before the dates they state. Shocked others are not fans.

WeDealInLead
02-07-2020, 05:49 AM
As we all reuse peanuts from parcels shipped between one another, it might be fun to write a small message on one of those peanuts and see where it ends up.... :idea:

Similar story. Well, anecdote. I sent a book to Australia. The box found its way back to me from UK from a different member. Of course, I used it to send a book to another member again. See, eco friendly and free. And funny seeing the parts of all the different addresses.

jsweet
02-07-2020, 07:22 AM

in ten years... I have had nothing but top service, no lost packages, no damaged ones and tracking either on or before the dates they state. Shocked others are not fans.

I think much of it comes down to local service at the end. Our mail carrier happens to be great; as is the local FedEx. With UPS, we're lucky if he can deliver packages to the right house. At least once a week I'm either delivering a package to one of my neighbors or vice versa.

ICry4Oy
02-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Appreciate the input everyone, THANK YOU!

lotuz
02-07-2020, 12:33 PM
I think much of it comes down to local service at the end. Our mail carrier happens to be great; as is the local FedEx. With UPS, we're lucky if he can deliver packages to the right house. At least once a week I'm either delivering a package to one of my neighbors or vice versa.

I think this is dead on.

As a shipper, I have no strong preference between the services, other than USPS is cheaper and has locations in my small town, while UPS and FedEx do not.

As a receiver, I have a strong preference for USPS. Because it's a small town, our carrier knows us and knows that I get a lot of books (we leave her a nice big tip over the holidays). She delivers in the same 30 minute window every day, always makes sure that packages are out of the weather and elements, and if I happen to miss her for a package with a signature she'll take it back to the USPS office right away so it will be available for me to pick up the same day. On the other hand, UPS and FedEx drivers come from either 30 minutes west (FedEx), or 1 hour east (UPS), they arrive at unpredictable times, and if we miss them it's a pain to pick up the packages or schedule a new delivery. I have also had many occasions with UPS where my package arrives late - it shows that it's due on a certain day, I watch the truck tracker drive around all day, and then it leaves without delivering the package, for whatever reason. This has happened a couple times with Suntup books and it hurts deep in my soul :cry:

So I think this is definitely a "last mile" problem that is going to vary widely across the world, and it's easy to believe that some people have great experiences (usually the shippers) and others have horrible ones (usually the receivers).

I will say though - I have never had a package lost by any of the services. I have had packages damaged by all of them, but probably only three ever where the book was damaged (for two of those the packaging should have been better, the third was packed great but was literally run over - you could see the tread marks).

Bob Verdansky
02-09-2020, 06:45 AM
A local bookstore has what appears to be the first editions of “The Green Mile” paperbacks. They are wrapped in cellophane so that gives me pause that they’re actually the first editions since the first editions came out separately, each book a few weeks apart I believe.
Anyone ever see them wrapped in cellophane?

Brian861
02-09-2020, 08:45 AM
A local bookstore has what appears to be the first editions of “The Green Mile” paperbacks. They are wrapped in cellophane so that gives me pause that they’re actually the first editions since the first editions came out separately, each book a few weeks apart I believe.

Started in March of '96 and released each month thereafter. The only way to know is to physically look at the CP of each book. Ask them if they are willing to unwrap and show you this or if you purchase, will you be allowed to return if they aren't true 1st.

Bob Verdansky
02-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Thanks.
I'll be going back there this week and I'll ask them if I can return them if they're not what I want.

jhanic
02-09-2020, 11:24 AM
As far as I know, none of the Green Mile pb edirions were wrapped by the publisher. With a print run of 2 million copies rach, a wrapping of each book woild be too costly.

John

sentinel
02-09-2020, 02:50 PM
There was a "boxed set" made available after the individual books were released. They are not 1st printings.

herbertwest
02-10-2020, 01:42 AM

Started in March of '96 and released each month thereafter. The only way to know is to physically look at the CP of each book. Ask them if they are willing to unwrap and show you this or if you purchase, will you be allowed to return if they aren't true 1st.

And released in february in France, if i recall correctly :)

Brian861
02-10-2020, 11:53 AM
As far as I know, none of the Green Mile pb edirions were wrapped by the publisher. With a print run of 2 million copies rach, a wrapping of each book woild be too costly.

John

There was a "boxed set" made available after the individual books were released. They are not 1st printings.

What they said.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-12-2020, 07:48 PM
Anyone know how many US and UK ELEVATION proofs were done? I rarely (make that almost never) see any for sale, and I don't think I've ever seen a UK one, which I'm sorta, kinda looking for.

vincent
02-12-2020, 10:35 PM
If I remember correctly, they did not make a UK proof, since it was getting too close to the publication date.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-13-2020, 05:33 AM
If I remember correctly, they did not make a UK proof, since it was getting too close to the publication date.

Thanks! That's good news to me.

vincent
02-13-2020, 06:07 AM

Thanks! That's good news to me.

No problem, glad to give you the good news!

webstar1000
02-14-2020, 05:11 AM
Questioning myself here but can you all confirm: wastelands trade and s/l have same dust jacket tight?

frik
02-14-2020, 05:28 AM
Questioning myself here but can you all confirm: wastelands trade and s/l have same dust jacket tight?

That is absolutely correct, Sir!

sk

webstar1000
02-14-2020, 05:57 AM

That is absolutely correct, Sir!

sk

Thanks, I thought so but started to question my self. lol

Randall Flagg
02-14-2020, 06:56 AM
They do.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-14-2020, 11:59 AM
I know this has been asked before, but I can not remember the answer, so I apologize in advance, but...

Did Hodder & Stoughton publish a trade edition hardcover of WIZARD AND GLASS?

I have the trade paperback edition with the fold-over flaps, the slip-cased signed edition, and now I have a hardcover edition with no price on it which I believe is an Australian Export Edition, although it does not state this anywhere on the book or jacket, which was published in Great Britain.

Randall Flagg
02-14-2020, 12:05 PM
The catalog is your friend.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Wiz ard+and+Glass+DTIV+-+Trade+PB+UK

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-14-2020, 12:18 PM
The catalog is your friend.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Wiz ard+and+Glass+DTIV+-+Trade+PB+UK

Aha! The discussion answered my question. Thanks, Jerome.

herbertwest
02-22-2020, 05:41 AM
I accidentally found out, that the french new edition of AMERICAN VAMPIRE contains a translation of King's original script for "American Vampire #1"
I am guessing that it had also been released, in american?

Would anybody know where?

Ari_Racing
02-22-2020, 05:43 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw it in the omnibus edition

Ari_Racing
02-22-2020, 06:11 AM
I don't know how I locked this but sorry. Unlocked now.

amd013
02-25-2020, 07:38 PM
So while updating the inventory/database of my collection, I noticed that the signed baseball card that comes with the lettered edition of Faithful is missing (I suspect it was stolen). Any opinions on how that effeccts the value? Does anyone know if each edition had a different player? Was it documented anywhere which player's card came with which letter? I vaguely recall it was an infielder.

I am hoping I just misplaced it somewhere.

Brian James Freeman
02-25-2020, 07:42 PM
So while updating the inventory/database of my collection, I noticed that the signed baseball card that comes with the lettered edition of Faithful is missing (I suspect it was stolen). Any opinions on how that effeccts the value? Does anyone know if each edition had a different player? Was it documented anywhere which player's card came with which letter? I vaguely recall it was an infielder.

I am hoping I just misplaced it somewhere.

As far as I can recall, I think each copy had a different player. Unfortunately, I did not think to keep a log of which card went with which letter. Drop me an email if you’re unable to find your card. I don’t think I kept one for myself, but I’d be happy to check my storage to be sure.

Brian

Fitzy93
02-26-2020, 01:27 PM
How rare is the Ubris II? Found one locally in Maine and have not been able to find much info.

Thanks for any response

Mike

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-26-2020, 02:41 PM
How rare is the Ubris II? Found one locally in Maine and have not been able to find much info.

Thanks for any response

Mike

The only Ubris editions with any value are the one with King stories. He had stories/poems in 4 of them:
UBRIS Spring 1968 includes "Here There be Tygers" and "Cain Rose Up"
UBRIS Fall 1968 includes Steve King stories "Strawberry Spring" and "Harrison State Park '68"
UBRIS Spring 1969 includes Steve King story "Night Surf"
UBRIS Fall 1969 includes Steve King story/poem "The Dark Man" and "Stud City"

They tend to go around $750. I have signed ones which are worth a bit more.

Fitzy93
02-26-2020, 03:42 PM

Thanks for any response

Mike

The only Ubris editions with any value are the one with King stories. He had stories/poems in 4 of them:
UBRIS Spring 1968 includes "Here There be Tygers" and "Cain Rose Up"
UBRIS Fall 1968 includes Steve King stories "Strawberry Spring" and "Harrison State Park '68"
UBRIS Spring 1969 includes Steve King story "Night Surf"
UBRIS Fall 1969 includes Steve King story/poem "The Dark Man" and "Stud City"

They tend to go around $750. I have signed ones which are worth a bit more.

Thanks Mr Rabbit. This one is from 84 and also has Cain Rose Up (reprint) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200226/3a79ae2a68b67bd3c66636ec63c72f09.plisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200226/533097a6838a8a185b515d50697b0351.plisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200226/f89779201c649792739d4a2e5f42bc72.plistand also an interview with Stephen and Tabitha.

webstar1000
02-27-2020, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know Ebayer: iwc_2004???

wizardsrainbow
02-27-2020, 08:46 PM

no...and it says New Canaan CT which is VERY close to me...I think prices are a little high too

webstar1000
02-28-2020, 05:06 AM

no...and it says New Canaan CT which is VERY close to me...I think prices are a little high too

I agree.. was hoping to meet up with him off Ebay for his signed Christine 1st...

herbertwest
03-04-2020, 10:30 AM
For many years I have been thinking about trying to find a Stephen King book in braille.
But I still havent been able to locale one, or finding a provider.

Any ideas?

Br!an
03-04-2020, 10:51 AM
For many years I have been thinking about trying to find a Stephen King book in braille.

Any ideas?

Not much out there.

Needful Things hardcover (https://www.amazon.com/s?bbn=11973&rh=n%3A283155%2Cn%3A%211000%2Cn%3A21%2Cn%3A11970%2 Cn%3A11973%2Cp_lbr_one_browse-bin%3AStephen+King&dc&fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1583346948&rnid=2272759011&ref=sr_in_-2_p_lbr_one_browse-bin_35)
Needful Things paperback (https://www.ebay.com/p/120235792)

herbertwest
03-04-2020, 01:58 PM
I tried buying it in the past.
But the seller is a company that sells tousands of books automatically, without really knowing what they are. So I got a cheap paperback from them instead

Stockerlone
03-05-2020, 04:15 AM
[QUOTE=herbertwest;1186954]For many years I have been thinking about trying to find a Stephen King book in braille.

Any ideas?

Not much out there.

Almost impossible to find, I've been looking for 20 years.
I know that there are 5 braille books in English and
10+ in German.

Br!an
03-05-2020, 07:05 AM

Any ideas?

Not much out there.

Almost impossible to find, I've been looking for 20 years.
I know that there are 5 braille books in English and
10+ in German.

They are available for loan from libraries. Not many available outside of libraries.

Also, many listed as braille are not actually braille. I saw one that was listed as braille and it turns out it was PDF format. PDF braille?

Tommy
03-05-2020, 09:42 AM
I've seen Christine in braille. It is owned by the guy that has every cover of Christine in his collection (along with one of the cars used in the movie). I don't know his name but I've seen it a few times at the Mad Monster Party, a local horror/sci-fi/wrestler convention that happens every year in Charlotte. It was 4 or 5 large volumes but was encased so I couldn't get a decent look at it. I had pictures posted but they were on Photobucket and that went bye bye after the fee started. I think he has a website though, does anyone know who I am talking about?

Stockerlone
03-05-2020, 09:45 AM
I've seen Christine in braille. It is owned by the guy that has every cover of Christine in his collection (along with one of the cars used in the movie). I don't know his name but I've seen it a few times at the Mad Monster Party, a local horror/sci-fi/wrestler convention that happens every year in Charlotte. It was 4 or 5 large volumes but was encased so I couldn't get a decent look at it. I had pictures posted but they were on Photobucket and that went bye bye after the fee started. I think he has a website though, does anyone know who I am talking about?

Yes, its this:
Christine
Publisher: Clovernook Publishing, USA
Publishing date: 1993
5 Volume

herbertwest
03-06-2020, 02:05 AM
I found a website that sells Stephen King books in braille.
It, however, is like 7 books. Going up to 12, depending of the book I choose. And if I want the full one or abridge.d And I already struggle with space in my collection :D

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-06-2020, 05:10 AM
It, however, is like 7 books. Going up to 12, depending of the book I choose. And if I want the full one or abridge.d And I already struggle with space in my collection :D

Just bang some dots on a Trade Edition. You cannot read Braille anyway, so you will not know the difference. :)

herbertwest
03-06-2020, 06:29 AM

Just bang some dots on a Trade Edition. You cannot read Braille anyway, so you will not know the difference. :)

Yep, but I always have been curious about it.

There are a few out there, in the USA : https://bils.klas.com/search/search.jsf?q=stephen+king
Seemingly "printed" and distributed by : Washington, D.C. : (CPH, transcribing agency. CPH, distributor.)
I cant find more details about it. But then I managed to order some french braille books :)
>

Frondz
03-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Hey all,
Here's a fun one...
Anyone else's first US printing of The Long Walk pbo say "COVER PRINTED IN U.S.A. at the very bottom edge, left of center on the back cover? I have a copy that does, and all others I can find, including the example on the DT catalogue do not. Wondered if anyone had insight on this.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/71E20011-DEFB-458C-8D1E-BBDB4E1DB7C3.JPG

Lot guy
03-10-2020, 06:59 PM
Curious on people's thoughts in regards to, "Century's Best Horror Fiction", Lettered Artist Edition in the wooden case? I purchased a copy on eBay as it was the first time I've had the opportunity.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-10-2020, 07:57 PM
I have the Canadian and the US printings of THE LONG WALK. Both are firsts.
On the copyright page of the Canadian edition is stated at the bottom of the page PRINTED IN CANADA COVER PRINTED IN U.S.A. The back cover is blank on the bottom.
The back cover of the US edition has COVER PRINTED IN USA on it, so low the bottom halves of the letters are cut off.

Lot guy
03-10-2020, 08:07 PM
My US copy does not have that on the back

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-10-2020, 10:58 PM
Curious on people's thoughts in regards to, "Century's Best Horror Fiction", Lettered Artist Edition in the wooden case? I purchased a copy on eBay as it was the first time I've had the opportunity.

I have one and I hate the weight of the wooden case. It is far too bulky. It's stuck at the back of a shelf somewhere.

webstar1000
03-11-2020, 03:58 AM

It is a very cool lettered. I do not have a copy... will prob get it someday though!

Frondz
03-11-2020, 07:23 AM
I have the Canadian and the US printings of THE LONG WALK. Both are firsts.
On the copyright page of the Canadian edition is stated at the bottom of the page PRINTED IN CANADA COVER PRINTED IN U.S.A. The back cover is blank on the bottom.
The back cover of the US edition has COVER PRINTED IN USA on it, so low the bottom halves of the letters are cut off.

Ok, very interesting. This is definitely the US edition, as stated on the copyright page. So, perhaps all covers had this printed at the bottom and...it's just a matter of how some covers were "trimmed?" (I really don't know much about mass market paperback production). If you look at the picture in the catalog, the margin at the top on the rear cover is slightly bigger, so it makes sense. Just wonder why. Maybe the covers that were for the Canadian edition were meant to have this at the bottom, even though it's also stated on the copyright page?

wizardsrainbow
03-11-2020, 06:07 PM
My US Long Walk 1st has the COVER PRINTED IN USA bottom back cover...Canadian first does not.

kingfan2323
03-11-2020, 09:26 PM
Crazy? I feel I have read In the Tall Grass but not in Esquire or Full Throttle. It show up anywhere else?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aremag
03-12-2020, 03:43 AM
Crazy? I feel I have read In the Tall Grass but not in Esquire or Full Throttle. It show up anywhere else?

Listen to the audiobook or read the e-book?

kingfan2323
03-12-2020, 07:42 AM

Listen to the audiobook or read the e-book?Oh, good question. Negative.

Brian861
03-13-2020, 09:44 AM

Only in print in those publications thus far.

kingfan2323
03-13-2020, 09:52 AM

Only in print in those publications thus far.Gotcha. Thanks, Brian.

Brian861
03-13-2020, 09:45 PM

Only in print in those publications thus far.Gotcha. Thanks, Brian.

Most welcome!

Br!an
03-14-2020, 04:32 AM

Only in print in those publications thus far.

I read it as an ebook.

ICry4Oy
03-14-2020, 07:03 AM

Neither does mine, it's like the one pictured in the catalog.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Lon g+Walk+The+-+Trade+PB

Room 217 Caretaker
03-14-2020, 10:11 AM

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Lon g+Walk+The+-+Trade+PB

Mine is like the one pictured in the catalog as well.

Mulleins

Johnny007
03-14-2020, 01:28 PM
Would anyone here still have or remember the URLs for the websites listed below?

Heritage Books -- this was an LA bookstore that was sold about 10-13 years ago. They had some great SK items over the years
Barry Levin -- we corresponded but I can't find our e-mail exchanges
Hutch's Rare Books -- if no one has it or if Dave doesn't see this, I will just call him
The Book Sail -- not sure if they had a website, but I thought they did

That's all for now. Thank you.

John

herbertwest
03-14-2020, 01:43 PM
I used to have Barry Levin's website, but it went down a couple of years ago and I dont remember the domain name...

If you manage to find the urls, try using the Time Machine to find the old content
>>> http://web.archive.org/

herbertwest
03-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Barry Levin's old website?
>>> http://web.archive.org/web/20131022054228/http://www.raresf.com/bhome.html

Johnny007
03-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Thank you, Jeremy (I believe),

Exactly what I'm looking for. I appreciate it!

John

Fsmdr
03-14-2020, 06:16 PM

John

FYI, Barry Levin passed away a few years ago and his nephew ( I think) was selling off his old inventory. They are no longer operating a bookstore.

ICry4Oy
03-14-2020, 07:18 PM

Mine is like the one pictured in the catalog as well.

Mulleins

So I have to wonder, which one is the "true" 1st/1st?

Johnny007
03-15-2020, 08:53 AM

John

FYI, Barry Levin passed away a few years ago and his nephew ( I think) was selling off his old inventory. They are no longer operating a bookstore.

Yes, I know. I should have been more transparent for the reason I'm searching for these URLs. I need the URLs to see if they were "crawled" by The Way Back Machine. I'm hoping to find unique SK books offered at different times from prominent book sellers. So now that I've been reacquainted with the Barry Levin website, I can see what was offered over the previous 20 years. It should be fun (hopefully) to see what was available and how much it was.

John

Ari_Racing
03-16-2020, 05:02 PM
I remembered King wrote a letter to Mystery Scene, angry that Barry Levin was selling Nebel.

I didn't know he was dead. He commited suicide and isn't the only Barry Levin who did it: it seems a famous attorney also did in 2001.

vincent
03-30-2020, 11:51 PM
If at all possible, I'd like to find the owners of two notebooks King auctioned off in the eighties. Do these ring a bell with anyone? (via PM if you like)

From George Beahm's A to Z:

- To benefit Manly Wade Wellman's widow, King contributed to Confederation (a convention held in Atlanta, Georgia, on August 31, 1985) a holographic notebook containing 89 pages of The Drawing of the Three; a short story, "The End of the Whole Mess"; and "The Doors". A 7-by-9-inch school notebook with a Garbage Pail Kids sticker on the cover sold for $5,200. It was purchased by Robert Weinberg and Lloyd Currey, who bought it for a collector.

- To benefit the American Repository Theater (1988 ) King donated a notebook containing holographic pages from an unpublished novel, Key holes, which sold for $4,000.

Thanks!

webstar1000
03-31-2020, 11:19 AM
Does anyone here have ANGST? Do they think it’s as collectable as SIE, NEBEL?

Randall Flagg
03-31-2020, 12:03 PM

Nein

wizardsrainbow
03-31-2020, 05:51 PM

Nein

I own Angst....cheaper than Nebel...I do not own SIE

Stockerlone
03-31-2020, 11:00 PM

Nein

I of course own all of them. ANGST EP is not worth as much as the other 3 EP SK books, but it is still worth a few hundred euros.

webstar1000
04-01-2020, 04:44 AM

Nein

I of course own all of them. ANGST EP is not worth as much as the other 3 EP SK books, but it is still worth a few hundred euros.

Have an extra you would sell mate? I would like to get all 4 of the bootlegs...

Stockerlone
04-01-2020, 04:55 AM

Nein

Only have my own copy at the moment, if I see another one, I will inform you.

webstar1000
04-01-2020, 05:40 AM

Nein

Thanks as always my man:)

webstar1000
04-02-2020, 04:27 AM

Nein

Frank you got a picture of what it looks like? ANgst?

Stockerlone
04-02-2020, 04:49 AM

Nein

http://wiki.stephen-king.de/images/thumb/8/8a/Angst.jpg/230px-Angst.jpg

webstar1000
04-02-2020, 05:14 AM

Nein

http://wiki.stephen-king.de/images/thumb/8/8a/Angst.jpg/230px-Angst.jpg

Thanks! It is slipcased?

Stockerlone
04-02-2020, 05:20 AM
Yes !!!

German HC Angst
Originaltitel Bare Bones
Publisher Edition Phantasia
Published 1989/1990
Translator Joachim Körber
limited to 300
slipcased
Original price 125 DM

herbertwest
04-03-2020, 11:51 AM
"IF IT BLEEDS" is moved to april 21st, not the 28th !!!

I wasnt sure but there were different infos according to websites (amazon audiobook / hardcover) / scribner / sk's official, and got it confirmed by Scribner!

Randall Flagg
04-03-2020, 11:59 AM
"IF IT BLEEDS" is moved to april 21st, not the 28th !!!
It would be nice if they make up their minds. Evens King's own site shows both dates as the release date.

herbertwest
04-03-2020, 12:06 PM
I agree it was confusing. Hence why i asked Scribner and if I share that info is because they confirmed that 21st date to me.
I since contacted my UK contact, because now their date doesnt make sense :D

Now, King's comment during the CNN interview of the date being pushed forward 2 weeks makes sense. I thought that King was mistaken.
But then that means that the scribner communication wasnt very good about showing that change, since I didnt heard about it until someone pointed out the different dates on reddit...

herbertwest
04-03-2020, 11:58 PM
According to one of my contacts, 21st is the ebook (usa/uk) and the book version will be on the 28th (usa /uk)

herbertwest
04-07-2020, 03:28 AM
Well, new info directly from the UK publisher : 21st will be the official release date for both the ebook AND the book !

So grab a copy, while you go do your shopping at Tesco or Asda or elsewhere ;)

Ari_Racing
04-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have details and pics of numbers 1, 2 and 3 of George Beahm's Phantasmagoria? I have almost all numbers (I'm missing number 12) but I'm having issues to identify the first three numbers since these were not stapled.

stroppygoblin
04-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Does anyone have details and pics of numbers 1, 2 and 3 of George Beahm's Phantasmagoria? I have almost all numbers (I'm missing number 12) but I'm having issues to identify the first three numbers since these were not stapled.

Some pictures on my thread here (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17784-Book-Collection-Stroppy-Goblin/page41) Ari, let me know if you need more details.

Cook
04-11-2020, 11:09 AM

Some pictures on my thread here (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17784-Book-Collection-Stroppy-Goblin/page41) Ari, let me know if you need more details.

What are the post #’s ?

Randall Flagg
04-11-2020, 11:55 AM

What are the post #’s ?
1155, 1192?

stroppygoblin
04-11-2020, 02:29 PM

What are the post #’s ?
1155, 1192?

I thought the link took you to the right page, but 1011 was the main one i was referring to, although both those other posts show Phantasmagoria issues as well.

Br!an
04-11-2020, 05:25 PM

What are the post #’s ?
1155, 1192?

I thought the link took you to the right page, but 1011 was the main one i was referring to, although both those other posts show Phantasmagoria issues as well.

You can just click here (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17784-Book-Collection-Stroppy-Goblin&p=1018915&viewfull=1#post1018915) to get to the post.

amd013
04-11-2020, 08:48 PM

What are the post #’s ?
1155, 1192?

Hi Simon, the link will take you to page 41 of your book collection, but which post that is will depend on what setting each person has for number of posts per page. So for me that is posts #801 to #820, since I have configured for 20 posts per page.

Garrell
04-16-2020, 04:43 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200417/ea93d53bc583fb92f5dcd46753397424.jpg
Thoughts on this one?

bdwyer19
04-16-2020, 05:10 PM
That looks good to me

The Library Policeman
04-16-2020, 06:21 PM
Yeah that’s legitimate.

Randall Flagg
04-16-2020, 06:27 PM
Great signature. Compares well to King sigs in that era. Also dated less than 2 years after issue. Too bad your name isn't Joe.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1351195790-King%20signature%20comparisons%20revised%20black%2 0slide%202.jpg

Garrell
04-16-2020, 07:11 PM
I thought so too. Just bought it.

webstar1000
04-17-2020, 03:20 PM
Why is it near impossible to find a signed Cujo with proper address shown on copyright page?

Randall Flagg
04-17-2020, 03:37 PM
Why is it near impossible to find a signed Cujo with proper address shown on copyright page?

Because they are rare.

webstar1000
04-17-2020, 05:19 PM

Because they are rare.

I thought more common. But I digress... you are correct sir.

Br!an
04-18-2020, 03:38 AM

Because they are rare.

Some people thought the 23rd Street address was a first edition and had King sign that. Probably because many references state that “First published in 1981 by The Viking Press.” indicates a first edition without mention of the Madison Avenue address. I had to school a lot of booksellers about that when purchasing copies for the Dragon Rebounds.

webstar1000
04-18-2020, 03:42 AM

Because they are rare.

Some people thought the 23rd Street address was a first edition and had King sign that. Probably because many references state that “First published in 1981 by The Viking Press.” indicates a first edition without mention of the Madison Avenue address which is incorrect. I had to school a lot of booksellers about that when purchasing copies for the Dragon Rebounds.

That’s the issue man. Everyone I find signed has the incorrect address?

Garrell
04-25-2020, 07:24 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200425/3d9b10646928ff4cb8453e5ffe6dea40.jpg
Thoughts on this one?
Never mind. BCE anyways.

surly
04-25-2020, 08:34 AM
looks like the handiwork of one of the serial offenders from a few years back (forget which one). I wouldn't want it.

OneFathom
04-25-2020, 09:11 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200425/3d9b10646928ff4cb8453e5ffe6dea40.jpg
Thoughts on this one?
Never mind. BCE anyways.

Trash.

The price on that one has been plummeting in the past two weeks. Always a tell-tale sign the seller is trying to find a sucker who will bite on it.

peripheral
04-25-2020, 02:24 PM
No bueno

herbertwest
04-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Not a question, but a comment : during the King/Grisham interview, King said that he has recieved 12 boxes of books to sign...

Roseannebarr
04-29-2020, 04:17 PM
Not a question, but a comment : during the King/Grisham interview, King said that he has recieved 12 boxes of books to sign...

Private party. Friends and family. Association copies.😢. He does that ALL the time.

webstar1000
04-29-2020, 04:32 PM

Private party. Friends and family. Association copies.[emoji22]. He does that ALL the time.

500 books? And right after he talks about helping out small independents? No this is something different Glenn

EDIT: this is 100% something coming. All I can say for now.

Roseannebarr
04-29-2020, 04:51 PM

Private party. Friends and family. Association copies.[emoji22]. He does that ALL the time.

500 books? And right after he talks about helping out small independents? No this is something different Glenn

Hope so! I need it! 10 books in a box. 12 boxes 120 books. I have a Sb box and dr sleep box. They are not big boxes.

webstar1000
04-29-2020, 04:51 PM

Hope so! I need it! 10 books in a box. 12 boxes 120 books. I have a Sb box and dr sleep box. They are not big boxes.

He did state 500. Fingers crossed dude!!!

Roseannebarr
04-29-2020, 04:52 PM
If I ever learnt how to post pictures I could show you the box:nope:

Roseannebarr
04-29-2020, 04:53 PM
I will have to listen again. Exciting at least 1 will end up on eBay then!

webstar1000
04-29-2020, 04:53 PM
If I ever learnt how to post pictures I could show you the box:nope:

Get Tapatalk man. It’s how I do it. Only way I can lol

Roseannebarr
04-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Looking forward to a novel already finished and one in the works! Right?

Roseannebarr
04-29-2020, 05:15 PM
Crime. novel. Small publisher?

webstar1000
04-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Crime. novel. Small publisher?

Hard case? Like Joyland and Colorado kid?

Roseannebarr
04-29-2020, 05:17 PM
That’s what I was thinking!!!

TnTzDad
04-30-2020, 09:29 AM
Anyone ever gotten their sealed limited with something like this? I just received LSOE 1175 from Betts, unwrapped it and was checking eveything out when this page randomly opened up. Kinda wondering who's prints they are.

(Am I the only one that thinks certain books have the most amazing smell? LSOE just "sends me somewhere"...)

LSOE 1175 "printed" (https://i.imgur.com/Zh5CE8E.jpg)

Kingfan24
04-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Probably the printers if I had to guess.

herbertwest
04-30-2020, 10:50 AM
That would be an odd question. But.
Let's say that you were close with a famous writer. Say Stephen King. Which I am not.

If you were to read early versions of his books, wouldn't it be a shame to just keep digital files?
Wouldnt it be nice to get them printed somehow, once the final book has been released?
What would you do with previous versions?

I personnally love lulu.com to print personal copies of books (I used that for printing myself a copy of "The Plant")

Maybe Bev Vincent has an input, given he co-edited a book?
Did you do anything with previous versions, if you have any?

Br!an
04-30-2020, 11:14 AM
That would be an odd question. But.
Let's say that you were close with a famous writer. Say Stephen King. Which I am not.

If you were to read early versions of his books, wouldn't it be a shame to just keep digital files?
Wouldnt it be nice to get them printed somehow, once the final book has been released?
What would you do with previous versions?

I personnally love lulu.com to print personal copies of books (I used that for printing myself a copy of "The Plant")

Maybe Bev Vincent has an input, given he co-edited a book?
Did you do anything with previous versions, if you have any?

You would need permission to print someone else's copyrighted work in the US. Otherwise it is a copyright violation. If you only had one book printed for yourself, it might go unnoticed/unremarked though.

herbertwest
04-30-2020, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the reply Br!an
I didnt explicitly said it, but I did indeed meant that it would be for personal use. Doing otherwise would seem really stupid and a big break of trust.

But what would you do? Print files individually? Lose pages? More "looking like a book" type printing?
Trying to make a nice project out of it?
Forget it and just keep the digital files?

OneFathom
05-01-2020, 01:35 PM
Anyone know the print run for the UK hardcover (New English Library) 1st of 'Salem's Lot?

kingfan2323
05-07-2020, 06:17 PM
Can someone give me some details on the Cavalier magazine Aug. 1974 with Night Surf in it?
Looking for one or some help pointing me in the right direction.
What should I expect to pay?

Thx

seeking: anything DT related #246

Ari_Racing
05-07-2020, 08:56 PM
I'd say below $60.

kingfan2323
05-07-2020, 08:59 PM
I'd say below $60.Thanks, Ari. Let the search begin.

nessuno2001
05-23-2020, 04:18 AM
Hello folks,
I am desperately looking for King's essay "On The Shining and Other Perpetrations" which was published in the Special SK Issue of the magazine Whispers in 1982. I am currently writing a piece about King's relationship with Kubrick's version of The Shining for an academic journal and I can't find this essay anywhere. My deadline is approaching and I would be extremely grateful if anyone who own a copy could send me photos of the pages –*nothing fancy, I just need to read the text. I know Whispers is extremely rare and a valuable collector's item, but I couldn't find anyone anywhere who has a copy. Maybe I'll be lucky here? My email is nessuno2001@gmail.com. Many many thanks!
Best,
Filippo

EDIT: Many thanks to herbertwest who sent me a transcription! And to Juliana K for reaching out moments later.

mikeko
05-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Hello all,
I have come across the book below (this is actual scan of my book) , and while I can find some limited info on this cover in paperback from Futura i cannot see any info about this particular one which is HB/DJ from macdonald, the isbn is the same as the other dust jacket - 9780340952726

Any help will be muchly appreciated!

https://i.ibb.co/SwF3772/Screenshot-20200517-120015-e-Bay.jpg

Curly
05-28-2020, 11:23 PM
It might be the Guild Publishing book club one. Does it have GP at the bottom of the spine?

Roog
05-28-2020, 11:46 PM
MacDonald has released a few books in hardcover format, with the same covers as the Futura paperbacks. I owned them some time ago but sold them again. Pretty hard to find.

mikeko
05-29-2020, 01:56 AM
It might be the Guild Publishing book club one. Does it have GP at the bottom of the spine?

No, Macdonald at the bottom of the spine.

MacDonald has released a few books in hardcover format, with the same covers as the Futura paperbacks. I owned them some time ago but sold them again. Pretty hard to find.
Thank you Roog, that's very interesting. Do they hold any value? Also do you know the other titles they have released in that format?
Thank you

Roog
05-29-2020, 11:59 AM
Thank you Roog, that's very interesting. Do they hold any value? Also do you know the other titles they have released in that format?
Thank you

No idea about value, i paid like $20 bucks for one of those hardcovers.
I only know of these titles in MacDonald hardcover:
Skeleton Crew 0-356-10816-3
Different Seasons 0-356-08678-X
Danse Macabre
Eyes of the Dragon

Might be more out there.

mikeko
05-29-2020, 01:47 PM
Thank you

No idea about value, i paid like $20 bucks for one of those hardcovers.
I only know of these titles in MacDonald hardcover:
Skeleton Crew 0-356-10816-3
Different Seasons 0-356-08678-X
Danse Macabre
Eyes of the Dragon

Might be more out there.

Thank you, that's very helpful 😊

sullichin
06-06-2020, 11:56 AM
Question about this Desperation S/L
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DESPERATION-Stephen-King-Donald-Grant-Signed-Traycased-Limited-Edition-1233/174303550339?hash=item28954d1b83:g:8X8AAOSwPeReyFq P

Why is it dark blue? Is it just the lighting?
Do they all have the printing error/ errata slip?

Randall Flagg
06-06-2020, 12:04 PM
Probably just the lighting. All of the S/L editions should have the errata sheet.

daniel_pyle
06-06-2020, 12:19 PM
Does anyone here collect the different variants of the books that were printed at multiple printers? I'm really torn about whether or not to bother. On the one hand, not getting the different variants seems like having a penny collection with only Denver pennies. On the other hand, pennies are small…

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-06-2020, 12:46 PM
EYES OF THE DRAGON for sure.

Br!an
06-06-2020, 02:18 PM

You really do need all three.

daniel_pyle
06-06-2020, 02:56 PM

You really do need all three.

Is there something special about the differences for that one?

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-06-2020, 03:16 PM
Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton, Pennsylvania
Arcata Graphics Fairfield Pennsylvania
Arcata Graphics Hawkins County Tennessee

https://i.imgur.com/0zXMh6o.jpg

daniel_pyle
06-06-2020, 03:53 PM
Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton, Pennsylvania
Arcata Graphics Fairfield Pennsylvania
Arcata Graphics Hawkins County Tennessee
https://i.imgur.com/0zXMh6o.jpg

:thumbsup:

stroppygoblin
06-06-2020, 04:02 PM
there is an entire thread dedicated to the variants. see here (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18848-Stephen-King-Dust-Jacket-Book-and-Proof-Variants)

namelessnpoor
06-06-2020, 04:03 PM
Speaking of variants of the trade editions. I know of most of them and have most of them..at least I think I do.
I recently learned of 2 I didn't know about.
Does anyone have a list of the trade editions that have differences and what those differences are?

stroppygoblin
06-06-2020, 04:04 PM
Speaking of variants of the trade editions. I know of most of them and have most of them..at least I think I do.
Does anyone have a list of the trade editions that have differences and what those differences are?

See my post above.

namelessnpoor
06-06-2020, 04:45 PM

See my post above.

Wow..lol..that wasn't there when I was typing...guess I needed to refresh my page first.
Thank you

Cordial Jim
06-07-2020, 07:38 AM
Does this signature and inscription look legit?

https://i.ibb.co/F0q0qCj/IMG-1303.jpg (https://ibb.co/TbqbqdF)

frik
06-07-2020, 07:47 AM

Definitely not.

sk

Cook
06-07-2020, 07:49 AM
Not to me...
"Wouldn't buy it for a friend for a dollar"

Randall Flagg
06-07-2020, 08:48 AM
Terrible.

Cordial Jim
06-07-2020, 09:43 AM
Ok, thanks guys. I appreciate it. It was in a Book Club edition of Christine, which was another red flag.

Brian861
06-07-2020, 09:48 AM
Not to me...
"Wouldn't buy it for a friend for a dollar"

Wouldn't give it to an enemy for free.

Brian861
06-07-2020, 09:51 AM

I'm not actively seeking them but I agree that you need all three for EOTD. Hard to find in Fine shape and if you do, it'll probably be the variant you already have. Murphy's Law being what it is. I do have all the Black House printer variants. Mainly by accident.

daniel_pyle
06-07-2020, 09:56 AM

I'm not actively seeking them but I agree that you need all three for EOTD. Hard to find in Fine shape and if you do, it'll probably be the variant you already have. Murphy's Law being what it is. I do have all the Black House printer variants. Mainly by accident.

So it's just the rarity that makes these three more desirable than something like the three variants of Dolores Claiborne?

Brian861
06-07-2020, 10:03 AM

So it's just the rarity that makes these three more desirable than something like the three variants of Dolores Claiborne?

I'll leave that one for the experts.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-07-2020, 10:13 AM
It's because of the scales.

daniel_pyle
06-07-2020, 10:25 AM
The scales are cool for sure!

tippy4
06-07-2020, 04:51 PM
Since I had not seen this post previously, I thought I would quote the portion about US 1st editions here as it has a lot of good information.

US Dust Jacket Variants

'Salem's Lot - 1st, 2nd & 3rd state DJ's. - Catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Sal ems+Lot+-+Trade+HC) | Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?377-Your-New-Pride-and-Joy!&p=829033&viewfull=1#post829033), Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?9403-Book-Collection-ur2ndbiggestfan&p=533875&viewfull=1#post533875), Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18763-Which-is-the-most-coveted-King-book&p=881825&viewfull=1#post881825)
Pet Sematary - 1982/1983 date on back of DJ - Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18803-Book-Collection-zelig&p=884897&viewfull=1#post884897)
The Bachman Books - Possibly a misprint? - Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?14300-Book-Collection-needfulthings&p=688186&viewfull=1#post688186)
The Tommyknockers - Red/Gold lettering - Catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Tom myknockers+The+-+Trade+HC) | Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18803-Book-Collection-zelig&p=884784&viewfull=1#post884784)
Insomnia - Red/White DJ variants - Catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Ins omnia+-+Trade+HC)
Just After Sunset - DVD special - Catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:Jus t+After+Sunset)
Under the Dome - White/Grey Lettering - Catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:UND ER+THE+DOME+-+TRADE+HC)
Revival - 'Barnes & Noble' DJ - Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17490-Stephen-King-s-Revival-Book-Tour-Collecting-Thread&p=884180&viewfull=1#post884180)

US Book Variants

Four Past Midnight - Black/Gold "SK" initials on boards - Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18338-Book-Collection-jonp&p=899231&viewfull=1#post899231), Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18848-Stephen-King-Dust-Jacket-Book-and-Proof-Variants&p=899350&viewfull=1#post899350)

US - Printer Variants (Thanks jonp)

Eyes of the Dragon - Arcata Graphics Fairfield, Pennsylvania OR Arcata Graphics Hawkins County, Tennessee OR Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton, Pennsylvania. - Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18338-Book-Collection-jonp&p=924649&viewfull=1#post924649)
Misery - R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield, Pennsylvania
Needful Things - R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield
Gerald's Game - R.R. Donnelley & Son Company OR Book Press, Inc
Dolores Claiborne - R.R. Donnelley & Son Company OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield OR Arcata Graphics, Martinsburg
Nightmares And Dreamscapes - Arcata Graphics, Fairfield OR R.R. Donnelley & Son Company
Insomnia - Arcata Graphics Fairfield, Pennsylvania OR R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia
Rose Madder - Quebecor Printing, Fairfield OR R.R. Donnelley & Son Company
Desperation - Quebecor Printing, Fairfield OR Quebecor Printing, Martinsburg
Black House - Q, DC, DH codes on copyright page (assumed to be printers codes - Q - Quebecor Printing Fairfield? DH - Donnelley Harrisonburg? - DC? ?) - Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18338-Book-Collection-jonp&p=903126&viewfull=1#post903126)

I knew about most of the DJ variants....and TEOTD variants.....but gotta say I did not know about the rest.

Not sure if Just After Sunset should be on this list as it is kind of like a gift edition....not unlike the unsigned Under the Dome that came with cards.

amd013
06-08-2020, 07:05 AM
Personally I don't collect the variants. (as soon as you do, the publishers will start making 5 variants of each book). The one exception would be 'Salems's Lot, although I only own 2nd state, I would buy a 3rd state if I ever saw one, and a 1st state if I could ever afford one.

Garrell
06-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Personally I don't collect the variants. (as soon as you do, the publishers will start making 5 variants of each book). The one exception would be 'Salems's Lot, although I only own 2nd state, I would buy a 3rd state if I ever saw one, and a 1st state if I could ever afford one.

Only variants I have are Salem's Lot 2 & 3. I use to collect comics and am not going down that long and expensive (and space taking) road.

MikeDuke
06-08-2020, 07:56 AM
I am happy with the EOTD I have. I just can't start collecting variants of everything. I hardly have enough space as it is.

willie3
06-08-2020, 08:35 AM
Probably the wrong place for this but FYI
Mrs. Todd’s Shortcut is included in The Big Book of Modern Fantasy edited by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer on sale July 21st

tippy4
06-08-2020, 02:47 PM
I am happy with the EOTD I have. I just can't start collecting variants of everything. I hardly have enough space as it is.

On the plus side....in the grand scheme, there are not a lot of US variants.

6 dust jackets (I am not counting the 'Salem's Lot 1st, Bachman Books, and Just After Sunset)
14 books.

What's 20 extra books on your shelves?

Br!an
06-08-2020, 02:56 PM
What's 20 extra books on your shelves?

~1% more.

daniel_pyle
06-08-2020, 03:11 PM
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but based on my digging, it’s possible to get a copy of Insomnia in either color combination from either printer, so there are really four different variants of that book. Although, in that case, I think I’d be plenty happy having a red/white from one printer and a white/red from the other.

Edit: printer, not publisher

tippy4
06-08-2020, 03:51 PM
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but based on my digging, it’s possible to get a copy of Insomnia in either color combination from either publisher, so there are really four different variants of that book. Although, in that case, I think I’d be plenty happy having a red/white from one publisher and a white/red from the other.

My head just exploded.

Thats 21 books now.

namelessnpoor
06-08-2020, 03:54 PM
So..the Bachman Books dj variant / misprint..is that dj one that's impossible to find or can it be found with some patience?
If it's truly just a misprint then I would think it's not very common.
I have a copy of The Stand uncut..and it's jacket it missing the the actual title of the book. Just blank black space there.
I wouldn't necessarily consider that a variant..just an error.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-10-2020, 09:49 AM
I don't recommend ordering the upcoming UK edition of ON WRITING from THE BOOK DEPOSITORY. They sent me an 18th printing of the 2012 paperback instead of the forthcoming 2020 edition. They'll accept a return for credit but they won't pay return postage. To me, this is a ripoff, because I paid double what the price on the 2012 paperback cost.

Brian861
06-10-2020, 10:49 AM
I don't recommend ordering the upcoming UK edition of ON WRITING from THE BOOK DEPOSITORY. They sent me an 18th printing of the 2012 paperback instead of the forthcoming 2020 edition. They'll accept a return for credit but they won't pay return postage. To me, this is a ripoff, because I paid double what the price on the 2012 paperback cost.

Have yet to receive mine but I'm not hopeful based on your experience.

Roog
06-10-2020, 11:19 AM

If the 2020 edition has a different ISBN than the 2012 edition than you didn't get what you ordered. Then they should fix it. But be sure you ordered the 2020 edition.

Brian861
06-10-2020, 11:39 AM

Have yet to receive mine but I'm not hopeful based on your experience.

Pretty sure I'll end up with the wrong book as well. The UK shows a release date of September 2020, yet the book is already en route.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Yes, the order says a 2020 release, with the SAME ISBN number as the 2012 release, so as far they are concerned, it's the same book.

peripheral
06-10-2020, 01:28 PM
What a pain in the arse. They should resend the correct book, given it’s they error. But then again, they shouldn’t resend the correct book because they don’t care. I’m trying to avoid the bigger book sellers nowadays, and this just reaffirms this. Is it being released also in hardcover, or only pb?

Brian861
06-10-2020, 02:29 PM
What a pain in the arse. They should resend the correct book, given it’s they error. But then again, they shouldn’t resend the correct book because they don’t care. I’m trying to avoid the bigger book sellers nowadays, and this just reaffirms this. Is it being released also in hardcover, or only pb?

I believe just PB, Peri. If I get the wrong book, might have to hit up a UK friend to pick up the correct one.

Brian861
06-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Yes, the order says a 2020 release, with the SAME ISBN number as the 2012 release, so as far they are concerned, it's the same book.

I didn't see a 2012 release on their site.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Me neither, I give up. The thing is, I also ordered the US version of this book from The Book Depository. I can't wait to see what they send me for that one, but I hope it's the one I want.

Brian861
06-10-2020, 02:42 PM
Me neither, I give up. The thing is, I also ordered the US version of this book from The Book Depository. I can't wait to see what they send me for that one, but I hope it's the one I want.

I checked Waterstones website and the latest release they show is the 2012 edition with the same ISBN as you stated. I ordered my US copy from Water Street Books so I'm fairly confident that it'll be the correct copy.

daniel_pyle
06-14-2020, 10:01 AM
An extremely nice guy on Reddit gave this to me years ago. He said someone had gifted it to him and he wasn't sure the signature was real, and I'm not either. It doesn't look obviously fake to me, but what do you all think?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3406.jpg

OneFathom
06-14-2020, 08:41 PM
An extremely nice guy on Reddit gave this to me years go. He said someone had gifted it to him and he wasn't sure the signature was real, and I'm not either. It doesn't look obviously fake to me, but what do you all think?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3406.jpg

It's good.

frik
06-14-2020, 09:27 PM
Agreed!

sk

Garrell
06-15-2020, 04:45 AM
Horrible, send it my way:wink1:

Munnecom
06-15-2020, 07:44 PM
The correct ISBN number of the new paperback edition of On Writing is 1982159375. The Book Depository only shows one result when I search for that number.

Be aware that the conversation between Joe Hill and Stephen King, which is one of the new pieces of content in this release, is just a transcript of the talk they gave at the Somerville Theatre. There's an hour-long video on YouTube of that very same event. I believe some members here actually attended it themselves?

Hope that helps!

Garrell
06-16-2020, 03:43 AM
Ack, I was there. Wasn’t buying the book but now I have to for the interview

qzyksw
06-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Hello,

I was wondering what an UK Rage and Roadwork is worth

kingfan2323
06-19-2020, 05:03 PM
Have two of these cases and one has a seperate panel/board with it. Help on what it is for? Did they all come with it?
Thx
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200620/8e2ea0404741412bda4d7a651b38fda7.jpg

Randall Flagg
06-19-2020, 05:10 PM
The case that says Under The Dome is for that title in a gift edition. The GE came with a deck of cards that listed the primary characters in the book. The deck sat atop the book in a black box. The "filler" piece is for putting a trade 1st in, then using the insert to keep the book snug.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=UNDER+THE+DOME+-+COLLECTORS+SET

kingfan2323
06-19-2020, 05:12 PM
The case that says Under The Dome is for that title in a gift edition. The GE came with a deck of cards that listed the primary characters in the book. The deck sat atop the book in a black box. The "filler" piece is for putting a trade 1st in, then using the insert to keep the book snug.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=UNDER+THE+DOME+-+COLLECTORS+SETAww. . . For the trade. That is what I suspected. That answers that. Thanks, Jerome.

Ben Eads
06-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Are there different versions of Stephen King's book On Writing? I could have sworn I saw an anniversary edition a few years back which had extra stuff. Or is the content the same in all editions?

Ben Eads
06-21-2020, 05:28 PM
I was able to find out that the newer editions have articles from his sons Joe and Owen. That's the only difference.

herbertwest
06-22-2020, 12:03 AM
I was able to find out that the newer editions have articles from his sons Joe and Owen. That's the only difference.

+ an updated reading list ;)

There was already a 10 year anniversary edition, and now this is the 20th anniversary version ;)

Ben Eads
06-22-2020, 04:54 AM

There was already a 10 year anniversary edition, and now this is the 20th anniversary version ;)

I see the 20th anniversary edition only in paperback. Could not find a hardcover on amazon for B&N. I guess they just did a paperback release?

Garrell
06-22-2020, 05:09 AM
Yep

Ben Eads
06-22-2020, 05:38 AM
Yep

Thanks!

Brian861
06-22-2020, 08:41 PM

I see the 20th anniversary edition only in paperback. Could not find a hardcover on amazon for B&N. I guess they just did a paperback release?

Don't a UK one from Book Depository unless you're ok with a 25th printing.

Stockerlone
06-23-2020, 03:49 AM
Maybe someone will remember....
A longer time ago, someone from the US offered several ES Edition Phantasia, originally packed in wrapping paper.
They were relatively cheap.
I was interested at the time, but I didn't know anyone who knew anything about this packaging, even Mr. Körber the EP owner could not remember this packaging. (I asket him)

My question: Did someone bought one of the ES copies and unpack it ?

A friend has one of these, still packaged ... and I always tell him there's an old New York phone book in there and
not a ES Edition Phantasia. :biggrin:

Ben Eads
06-23-2020, 05:57 AM

Don't a UK one from Book Depository unless you're ok with a 25th printing.

Thanks for the heads up.

webstar1000
07-15-2020, 03:29 PM
What can someone tell me about these? Heard they came with the Roman Salem’s? They unbound and some were I heard? Thanks all

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200715/1e56b1b110c406f692480f171dd1b7ca.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200715/c866467debfe669e0cecec2a5f4f5bf3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200715/88293bd2799ed6109e3a09cfae562657.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200715/e4c6fc615c4a04aef9b8ac74a4973e52.jpg

Ari_Racing
07-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Aren't those from the book Carrie: studies in the...?

webstar1000
07-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Aren't those from the book Carrie: studies in the...?

Think it’s from Salem’s... my other contact thought it came with the Roman?

Ari_Racing
07-15-2020, 05:16 PM
Cool! Never saw those interviews.

Bev Vincent
07-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Those interviews are collected in Bare Bones and Feast of Fear.

Ari_Racing
07-16-2020, 10:34 AM
Thanks!

webstar1000
07-16-2020, 10:39 AM
Those interviews are collected in Bare Bones and Feast of Fear.

This was printed by Jerad though.. 10 copies he told my seller

lotuz
07-16-2020, 01:40 PM
I've never seen this! But it definitely looks like Centipede Press work. Sometimes he does small runs of extras, which could be the case here. If they're unbound, they could also be a test printing of something that didn't make it into the final books. I have seen this also.

Randall Flagg
07-16-2020, 02:04 PM
But what books do the interviews cover?

Br!an
07-16-2020, 03:16 PM
But what books do the interviews cover?

One mentions Night Shift so after that at least.

OneFathom
08-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Anyone know if the Legends #'d or lettered versions also produced "PC" (Publisher's Copy) copies?

peripheral
08-21-2020, 04:02 PM
Coincidentally, like Colin in the previous post, I also have a Legends question. I have a first edition of Legends (edited by Silverberg) - it's flatsigned by King, inscribed by Terry Goodkind and artist Erik Wilson to a "Bob". I seem to remember a story that King did an in-store signing of this book at Betts in the late 90s? Perhaps with Goodkind? Does anyone know the story?

OneFathom
08-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Coincidentally, like Colin in the previous post, I also have a Legends question. I have a first edition of Legends (edited by Silverberg) - it's flatsigned by King, inscribed by Terry Goodkind and artist Erik Wilson to a "Bob". I seem to remember a story that King did an in-store signing of this book at Betts in the late 90s? Perhaps with Goodkind? Does anyone know the story?

Dude...maybe this might shed some light on your inquiry. After a quick Google search, I found THIS (http://www.bevvincent.com/messageboard/discussion/241/anyone-going-to-ct-signing) thread. Check it out.

peripheral
08-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Dude...maybe this might shed some light on your inquiry. After a quick Google search, I found THIS (http://www.bevvincent.com/messageboard/discussion/241/anyone-going-to-ct-signing) thread. Check it out.

Mate, this is brilliant. Thank you...

OneFathom
08-21-2020, 04:37 PM

Mate, this is brilliant. Thank you...

For sure! Happy to help.

peripheral
08-21-2020, 04:40 PM
Anyone know if the Legends #'d or lettered versions also produced "PC" (Publisher's Copy) copies?

Reposting Colin's question before I hijacked the thread...

sullichin
08-23-2020, 01:22 PM
I recently got a pretty nice Shining 1st. I noticed there's no headband on the page block -- is that normal? That got me looking and I see my Pet Sematary (also doubleday) doesn't have one either.

Brian861
08-23-2020, 08:21 PM
The Bill Hodges Trilogy from Scribner. Has anyone put Brodart on these and was able to get them back into the case? It looks like it'd be an extremely tight fit.

daniel_pyle
08-23-2020, 08:38 PM
I recently got a pretty nice Shining 1st. I noticed there's no headband on the page block -- is that normal? That got me looking and I see my Pet Sematary (also doubleday) doesn't have one either.

Of my early Doubleday firsts, the only one with a headband is The Stand (maybe because it most needed it structurally?) No headband on The Shining or Pet Semetery. My copies of Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, and Night Shift are later printings of the first editions from the mid 80s, and they don't have headbands either.

Garrell
08-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Price check on Dr Sleep S/L and Black House S/L please.