PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Collecting Questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57

Brian861
03-28-2019, 06:40 PM
'Cookie Jar' is in the smaller UK Hodder paperback, ISBN 978-1-473-69892-5, £7.99
It is also in the small size US paperback, ISBN 978-1-5011-2787-8, $9.99

I knew Steve would have those.

I thought that it was in the american version as well. Wasnt it?

It was in the french paperback edition though \o/

First appearance in Playboy or am I getting that confused with a different story?

You are correct.

Good enough for me then.

Munnecom
03-28-2019, 11:55 PM
It’s a paperback exclusive, in any case. That’s what I wanted to know, thanks!

OneFathom
03-30-2019, 03:19 PM
Best product for protecting the early Signet paperbacks. The Brodart equivalent? Does someone make cover protectors for small paperbacks?

jhanic
03-30-2019, 03:41 PM
I use archival plastic bags.

John

sentinel
03-30-2019, 05:52 PM

First appearance in Playboy or am I getting that confused with a different story?

You are correct.

What Playboy issue is "Cookie Jar" in?

Room 217 Caretaker
03-30-2019, 06:00 PM

You are correct.

Not aware of it published in Playboy. I thought it was in Virginia Quarterly Review 2016.

Mulleins

lotuz
03-30-2019, 06:20 PM
I use archival plastic bags.

John

Me too. And since they're acid-free you can gently tape the corners down to get a really nice looking end result that displays well!

This book is in a taped archival bag and you can hardly tell:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/984/medium/IMG_8932.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/984/medium/IMG_8934.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/984/medium/IMG_8933.jpg

(All issues you see are with the book itself (slight crease on cover, creased spine) and not the bag.)

Room 217 Caretaker
03-31-2019, 02:47 AM
Where do you get your archival bags from and what sizes do you order?

Mulleins

Bev Vincent
03-31-2019, 05:00 AM

Virginia Quarterly Review, Volume 92, No. 2, Spring 2016 (added to mass market paperback of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams)

Brian861
03-31-2019, 09:27 AM

Virginia Quarterly Review, Volume 92, No. 2, Spring 2016 (added to mass market paperback of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams)

Thanks for this, Bev. I was mistaken then that it first appeared in Playboy and I even have that quarterly review :doh: I thought there was a story original to Playboy in 2017? I have it but too lazy at the moment to go dig it out.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-31-2019, 09:56 AM
I have enjoyed reading many articles in Playboy.

sentinel
03-31-2019, 10:15 AM

You are correct.

Not aware of it published in Playboy. I thought it was in Virginia Quarterly Review 2016.

Mulleins

That's what I have, just checking! You know us completists!

WeDealInLead
03-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Mulleins

You can get them at every comic book store. I'm not sure of the measurements but the bags for the standard sized monthly comics will fit everything from pocket paperbacks to trade sized books. Those and other supplies are usually kept right by the counter in most shops.

Possibly useful knowledge: magazine sized archival bags can fit the CD Doubleday portfolios.

Brian861
03-31-2019, 12:45 PM
I have enjoyed reading many articles in Playboy.

I'm sure you have, Steve :lol:

lotuz
03-31-2019, 06:53 PM

Mulleins

I personally get mine from https://www.squaredealonline.com/.

I get 2 mil thickness and I have 4 different sizes to accommodate both paperbacks as well as larger proofs. I have the following sizes that seem to cover all my bases:

2-BCW-BB-MM1: Book Sleeves - Polypropylene - Trade Paperback Book Size with Flap - 5" x 7-3/8" (a.k.a. Novel Bags)

2-BCW-BB: Book Sleeves - Polypropylene - with Flap -10" x 13" with a 2-1/2" Flap - BCW

2-BCW-BDIG: Comic Sleeves - Polypropylene - Digest Size with flap - 6" x 7 3/4" (a.k.a. Digest Bags)

2-BCW-MAG-L-R: Magazine Sleeves - Biaxially-Oriented Polypropylene - Oversize "Life" Magazine Size - with Resealable Flap - 11-1/8" x 14-1/4" (Sleeves, Bags, Covers, Slips)

The codes are the product codes from Square Deal (if you happen to choose them). I ordered 100 packs of each size in 2016 - my total then was <$100 and I'm still working my way through.

After you do a couple you learn how to fold them so that there are no creases on the front and only one small crease on the spine. Happy to do a small tutorial if you end up getting them and have any questions!

Room 217 Caretaker
04-01-2019, 02:49 AM

Mulleins

I personally get mine from https://www.squaredealonline.com/.

I get 2 mil thickness and I have 4 different sizes to accommodate both paperbacks as well as larger proofs. I have the following sizes that seem to cover all my bases:

2-BCW-BB-MM1: Book Sleeves - Polypropylene - Trade Paperback Book Size with Flap - 5" x 7-3/8" (a.k.a. Novel Bags)

2-BCW-BB: Book Sleeves - Polypropylene - with Flap -10" x 13" with a 2-1/2" Flap - BCW

2-BCW-BDIG: Comic Sleeves - Polypropylene - Digest Size with flap - 6" x 7 3/4" (a.k.a. Digest Bags)

2-BCW-MAG-L-R: Magazine Sleeves - Biaxially-Oriented Polypropylene - Oversize "Life" Magazine Size - with Resealable Flap - 11-1/8" x 14-1/4" (Sleeves, Bags, Covers, Slips)

The codes are the product codes from Square Deal (if you happen to choose them). I ordered 100 packs of each size in 2016 - my total then was <$100 and I'm still working my way through.

After you do a couple you learn how to fold them so that there are no creases on the front and only one small crease on the spine. Happy to do a small tutorial if you end up getting them and have any questions!

Excellent information. Thank you for sharing.

Mulleins

Bev Vincent
04-01-2019, 06:13 AM

Thanks for this, Bev. I was mistaken then that it first appeared in Playboy and I even have that quarterly review :doh: I thought there was a story original to Playboy in 2017? I have it but too lazy at the moment to go dig it out.

“The Music Room,” In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper, edited by Lawrence Block, December 2016. Also at Playboy magazine’s website and in their November 2016 issue.

Source: https://www.bevvincent.com/links/uncollected-stephen-king-short-stories/

Brian861
04-01-2019, 09:30 AM

“The Music Room,” In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper, edited by Lawrence Block, December 2016. Also at Playboy magazine’s website and in their November 2016 issue.

Source: https://www.bevvincent.com/links/uncollected-stephen-king-short-stories/

Wow, back farther than I thought. So Playboy would technically be the first appearance of the story?

Bev Vincent
04-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Wow, back farther than I thought. So Playboy would technically be the first appearance of the story?

Technically, yes.

willybusmc
04-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Hey all,
I'm not sure at all if this is the right place to post this, but I've got a question about the Chadbourne covers (https://www.stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/joyland-illustrated-hard-cover-limited-cover-signed-1500-p-2230.html). I love the artwork and am considering getting a cover, and perhaps eventually a few more. The only problem is that the covers seem rather cheaply made. Specifically the inner flap part. It seems cheaply printed, or maybe it's just the fact that they're signed in marker. It just doesn't look very professional to me, from the limited pictures I've seen. Does anyone here have any of these covers? Mind sharing some better pictures? The pics on the stephenkingcatalog aren't very telling, nor are any of the pics I've seen on ebay. I'm hoping for some fist hand impressions here. Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone, if the creator of these happens to be here. Like I said, I love the artwork and would be getting them for display. Thanks!

Brian861
04-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Hey all,
I'm not sure at all if this is the right place to post this, but I've got a question about the Chadbourne covers (https://www.stephenkingcatalog.com/catalog/joyland-illustrated-hard-cover-limited-cover-signed-1500-p-2230.html). I love the artwork and am considering getting a cover, and perhaps eventually a few more. The only problem is that the covers seem rather cheaply made. Specifically the inner flap part. It seems cheaply printed, or maybe it's just the fact that they're signed in marker. It just doesn't look very professional to me, from the limited pictures I've seen. Does anyone here have any of these covers? Mind sharing some better pictures? The pics on the stephenkingcatalog aren't very telling, nor are any of the pics I've seen on ebay. I'm hoping for some fist hand impressions here. Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone, if the creator of these happens to be here. Like I said, I love the artwork and would be getting them for display. Thanks!

The covers to me feel like any other DJ. I only have one though, TBOBD. Because I thought it was cool looking. I don't really care for the others. No collecting value if that's a question as well.

willybusmc
04-09-2019, 07:51 AM
The covers to me feel like any other DJ. I only have one though, TBOBD. Because I thought it was cool looking. I don't really care for the others. No collecting value if that's a question as well.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't considering getting them as any sort of valuable collectible. Mostly just in my search for compiling all things Joyland.

Ben Eads
04-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Thanks in advance everyone!

I hope this is the right thread for this question.

I recently purchased a copy of the SNL of The Shining published by Sub Press. Does anyone have any advice/insight as to how install the dust jacket? I've installed dust jacket protectors, but never the dust jacket itself. I've googled this and couldn't find anything.

Any insight/advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

becca69
04-11-2019, 07:21 AM

I recently purchased a copy of the SNL of The Shining published by Sub Press. Does anyone have any advice/insight as to how install the dust jacket? I've installed dust jacket protectors, but never the dust jacket itself. I've googled this and couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

I just placed the book spine near the center of the dust jacket, then laid the book down on it's back and then lined up the DJ ends. Once I was satisfied, I folded the ends over.

Ben Eads
04-11-2019, 03:49 PM

Thanks!

I just placed the book spine near the center of the dust jacket, then laid the book down on it's back and then lined up the DJ ends. Once I was satisfied, I folded the ends over.

Thanks for the help and insight! I'll post some pics when I'm done.

TnTzDad
04-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Is there any way to determine what edition this is with it being sealed? I know it's not BCE.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173863728863

peripheral
04-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Is there any way to determine what edition this is with it being sealed? I know it's not BCE.

No, but I’m betting a later printing given someone applied the “factory” seal after publication.

becca69
04-18-2019, 11:57 AM

It does look like a BCE. There isn't foil stamping on the dust jacket.

TnTzDad
04-25-2019, 02:18 PM
What can be said about the artist signed editions of Drawing of the Three (i.e. number made and reason)? https://i.imgur.com/bOqCbwS.jpg

east-tennessee
04-25-2019, 08:07 PM
I remember some of Donald Grant's news letters stating that Phil Hale had stopped by there office and signed stacks of them. The price remained the same. There seem to plenty of the signed copies out there.

Lurker
04-25-2019, 08:30 PM
"Once again Phil Hale visited the United States and stopped by the office (he lives in London). He signed our remaining copies of the First Edition, First Printing of THE DARK TOWER II: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE which he illustrated in 1987.

These are available on a first-come-first serve basis. We are not charging anything extra because of the autograph. He signed copies for us last time he visited and these sold out very quickly." Sept 2016

TnTzDad
04-26-2019, 04:13 AM
Very good to know... thanks!

willybusmc
04-26-2019, 06:02 AM
Newbie collector here with a rather vague question. I've been following this corner of the world for a bit over a year, and delving into collecting a bit more seriously as of the last few months. I've learned so much from members here and in other groups. So my question is this: What are some things you wish you'd known as brand new collector? Advice you would give someone just starting off in this particular area of interest? What would you go back and tell yourself at the beginning of your journey? Anything is helpful. I'm just trying to be a knowledge sponge. To provide a little background, I am very far from wealthy but do have a small bit of disposable income; enough to save for and make purchases of a few hundred dollars a month. I'm mostly into Stephen King, but have an interest in all horror, and a particular love for Cemetery Dance. Thanks for anything you all come up with.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-26-2019, 07:04 AM
What are some things you wish you'd known as brand new collector?

Not everyone is honest and not all King signatures are equal

Advice you would give someone just starting off in this particular area of interest?

Ask questions (just like you're doing). This site is full of the top collectors in the world. Also, don't be afraid to play the upgrade game. Example: I've owned several First Editions of Night Shift throughout my collecting since the 80's, I would pickup a better copy along the way and sell the lesser of the two and so on and so on. I'm not afraid to sell a book to get another.

What would you go back and tell yourself at the beginning of your journey?

You're in for one hell of a ride. Strap yourself in, put some dark sunglasses on, turn the radio volume to 10..........and hit the peddle.

Mulleins

Brian861
04-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Newbie collector here with a rather vague question. I've been following this corner of the world for a bit over a year, and delving into collecting a bit more seriously as of the last few months. I've learned so much from members here and in other groups. So my question is this: What are some things you wish you'd known as brand new collector? Advice you would give someone just starting off in this particular area of interest? What would you go back and tell yourself at the beginning of your journey? Anything is helpful. I'm just trying to be a knowledge sponge. To provide a little background, I am very far from wealthy but do have a small bit of disposable income; enough to save for and make purchases of a few hundred dollars a month. I'm mostly into Stephen King, but have an interest in all horror, and a particular love for Cemetery Dance. Thanks for anything you all come up with.

The one I always struggle with is focus as far as collecting. If you can maintain a great focus, your dollar will be better spent. Some names here that come to mind as far as focus are Kris, Chad, Peri, Alec, and Simon just to name a few. Patience is another key. Don't settle for less than you'd be satisfied with. At any moment and time, especially around here, your grail could pop up for sale. Most importantly, collect what you like and have fun! Don't allow this to become a chore. And to echo Ralph, ask a million questions. Also, the catalog is your friend :)

Roseannebarr
04-26-2019, 10:27 AM

Collect what you like.
Don't spend a lot of $$ on impulse purchases.
Make a plan.
Go to Betts Books. Ebay and facebook tend to have higher prices. One person does not dictate price, one sale does not dictate price.

Watch, Wait, learn Then POUNCE on a good deal. IF that is what you want.

Don't buy flat signed books off of ebay. This does not apply to experienced collectors.

Signed Limiteds are fun to collect.

Collecting all CD books sounds like a great start for you! Other than King books some should be a good deal!

Do you like Neil Gaiman? If so, I can send you the CD book about his works and maybe a few other CD books taking about space from a grab bag deal a few years ago.

PORK PIE HAT by Peter Straub is totally rare and I will sell you one of mine for $1,000 :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::exci ted::excited:

mkberger
04-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Condition, condition, condition.

Beverly Marsh
04-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Great advice from all. I have learned a ton from this site and I'm sure to have asked a silly question or two but no one seems to mind.

I would add don't get yourself in debt over collecting. Pay only what you can and if layaway is an option do it if needed. It's helped me out!

Don't try and keep up with the masses. There are people here who have every thing you can imagine(Alec and the absent Bob Jackson come immediately to mind but there are many others!) Their collections are stunning. Don't even attempt to keep up with others. Collect what YOU like. I have sold one S/L to buy another S/L that I would rather have. I have done that several times. For me it's the particular book and whether or not it's a favorite of mine. I collect limiteds, flatsigned, inscribed, whatever I fancy. Only buy from trusted members here, Bett's, or a reputable seller. ANYTIME I see something on ebay I ask people here for signature help. I've gotten better with sigs and sometimes it's obvious one way or another but I still ask. I'd rather ask a dumb question and get expert confirmation than not ask and buy something fake.

Like Brian said, have fun!

Merlin1958
04-26-2019, 11:09 AM
Establish rules for yourself that govern your collection and try to follow them.

webstar1000
04-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Collect what you like.
Make a plan.
Go to Betts Books. Ebay and facebook tend to have higher prices. One person does not dictate price, one sale does not dictate price.

Don't buy flat signed books off of ebay. This does not apply to experienced collectors.

Collecting all CD books sounds like a great start for you! Other than King books some should be a good deal!

Do you like Neil Gaiman? If so, I can send you the CD book about his works and maybe a few other CD books taking about space from a grab bag deal a few years ago.

PORK PIE HAT by Peter Straub is totally rare and I will sell you one of mine for $1,000 :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::exci ted::excited:

Facebook does NOT have higher prices. eBay and ABE... yes. Betts no. What Facebook group are you seeing the pricing on? Most have commenting allowed to stop any gouging or too high price. One of the best places is HERE... in the classified thread.

Agreed signed Limited’s are the way to go over flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Just buy everything you see, borrow from loan sharks, what's a few broken bones compared to a lettered edition! Steal candy from a laughing baby's mouth, and then sell it for nickles and dimes to schoolkids so you can have enough for that red numbered chapbook. Go into bookstores and slip those first editions under your coat, nobody'll notice! Buy limited editions on E-Bay and pay with phony accounts! Buy a firearm and.....

Oh, wait, you wanted good advice...never mind.

Roseannebarr
04-26-2019, 01:05 PM
Just buy everything you see, borrow from loan sharks, what's a few broken bones compared to a lettered edition! Steal candy from a laughing baby's mouth, and then sell it for nickles and dimes to schoolkids so you can have enough for that red numbered chapbook. Go into bookstores and slip those first editions under your coat, nobody'll notice! Buy limited editions on E-Bay and pay with phony accounts! Buy a firearm and.....

:drool: too funny

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Some good advice above..Condition is everything. Here and Betts are the best place to buy. FB prices are typically higher than those avenues and more aligned with ebay (but generally better than ABE) Do your research and learn the market(will save you tons in the long run)..Focus on what you enjoy to collect, make mini goals and try to achieve them.Build relationships with collectors that you trust...ask questions. Dont use bubble mailers...ever

The Library Policeman
04-26-2019, 01:40 PM
Facebook does NOT have higher prices.

FB prices are typically higher

I don’t use Facebook guys so I don’t know who’s correct here. :evil:

webstar1000
04-26-2019, 01:41 PM

I don’t use Facebook guys so I don’t know who’s correct here.

Me and chad love to agree. Sometimes. Haha we Love each other though. Lol

The Library Policeman
04-26-2019, 01:43 PM
Best way to be, Kris!

lotuz
04-26-2019, 02:03 PM
I think there's been lot of great advice here so far - and lots that applies to people who have been collecting for awhile also. My own collecting has evolved since I started 7-8 years ago, and I'm sure that's true for a number of people here. Part of that is due to changing circumstances - more/less money available over time, more/less space available over time... In fact, I'd love to hear some more details from collectors who have been doing this for decades! What were your collecting habits like 10 years ago? 20? 30? How were these changes related to your life circumstances versus your preferences?

I'll refrain from writing a long and convoluted post here and distill my meager advice (based on my own experiences) into, say, three main points. I think they're largely in line with what people have been saying, maybe with some nuance or slight disagreement about details.

For context, I am not primarily a King collector, though King is an important part of my collection. Probably more than ever since joining these boards - the love for fine King books is infectious! I collect primarily S/L small press books in the weird/horror/sci-fi/noir genres, with a touch of fantasy. So the output of Centipede Press, Subterranean Press, Cemetery Dance, Suntup Editions, Zagava Press, and some other ones keeps me really happy (not that I collect all books from all of those presses - far from it). I also collect first editions of books I love, and other random editions that are in some way unique - good cover art, nice materials, etc.

1. Collect books that make you happy. I'm no Marie Kondo devotee, but the biggest change that I made in my collecting habits was realizing in 2017 that while my book collection overall made me happy, there were certain parts of it that I enjoyed more than others. There were certain books that I gravitated to, books that made me really happy to own, and, especially, books I want to see every day! Of all the bookcases in my house there is one that brings me special joy - the one I keep in my office and for which the theme is simply: books I like to look at every day. Not take out and read, but just rest my gaze upon and feel contented. Because I'm a collector, and collectors are crazy, I never wanted to part with any of my books, ever. But in 2017 I flipped a switch and decided that there were a large number of books I'd be willing to sell in order to get a small number of books that I really loved.

Also, when you collect books that make you happy, you can often find cheap or reasonably-priced books that fulfill this criteria because they are not particularly collectible by other standards. I have a number of mass market paperbacks, regular paperbacks, and foreign editions that have art I really like or are unique in some way. Most of them weren't particularly expensive and I like to rotate which ones I display. Very few of them are going to command a premium on the secondary market - in fact, most I would be lucky to sell for what I paid - but for a bunch of <$20 books, they were well worth it to me.

I agree with this 100%.

I think King is a special case here, because a lot of collectors here have the same story as Mulleins - the ability to pick up a not-great copy, find a better one, and sell the not-great copy to help pay for it. And with the King community being so large, and lots of people trying to get in at different price points, this makes sense.

But for non-King books, I have never had success "trading up". What I have almost always found is that the very fine book that I want keeps going up in price over time, while the mediocre copy stagnates. So if I buy a book with the hope of "trading up" later, my book has not really appreciated, but the very fine book has, so I'm actually behind where I was when I got the mediocre copy. As such, I tend now to avoid books for which I later intend to trade up. There are exceptions, of course - mostly to fill a gap in my collection that's bothering me...

This goes doubly with S/L books. Unlike first editions of many books, which were printed for a mass audience and which can be found in all sorts of conditions, S/L books were printed for collectors. This means that a much higher percentage of them are in very good to pristine condition. In my experience (and other people may disagree), it's very very hard to sell a less than VG S/L book for what you "think" it should be worth.

3. Don't buy books with the intention of flipping them until you get much, much better at identifying what books are worth and what the market is. This is like any other hobby/investment. There are people who have been doing it a lot longer and are vastly better at it, and the chance that you are going to stumble upon the "deal of a lifetime" that one of those guys missed is slim-to-none, especially on the internet. If there's a book with a price that's too good to be true, and it's publicly available on eBay or something, an expert is going to find it very quickly. If it hangs around, it's because you're missing something that they saw.

The exception to this is the "Intriguing Stephen King..." thread and some other threads around here. Because this is an awesome site, there are lots of people here who will alert the other collectors to a book that's available at a nice price instead of jumping right on it and reselling it themselves. It's a really kind thing to do that allows newer collectors to expand their collections with books they might otherwise not be able to get. If one of the more experienced collectors here points to a book and says "this is a deal" then it probably is.

Soooooo.... it looks like I still managed to write a long and convoluted post, which is a sure sign that I'm actively shirking some responsibility somewhere else...

:doh:

Merlin1958
04-26-2019, 04:55 PM
What are some things you wish you'd known as brand new collector?

Not everyone is honest and not all King signatures are equal

Advice you would give someone just starting off in this particular area of interest?

Ask questions (just like you're doing). This site is full of the top collectors in the world. Also, don't be afraid to play the upgrade game. Example: I've owned several First Editions of Night Shift throughout my collecting since the 80's, I would pickup a better copy along the way and sell the lesser of the two and so on and so on. I'm not afraid to sell a book to get another.

What would you go back and tell yourself at the beginning of your journey?

You're in for one hell of a ride. Strap yourself in, put some dark sunglasses on, turn the radio volume to 10..........and hit the peddle.

Mulleins

The one I always struggle with is focus as far as collecting. If you can maintain a great focus, your dollar will be better spent. Some names here that come to mind as far as focus are Kris, Chad, Peri, Alec, and Simon just to name a few. Patience is another key. Don't settle for less than you'd be satisfied with. At any moment and time, especially around here, your grail could pop up for sale. Most importantly, collect what you like and have fun! Don't allow this to become a chore. And to echo Ralph, ask a million questions. Also, the catalog is your friend :)

Collect what you like.
Make a plan.

Great advice from all. I have learned a ton from this site and I'm sure to have asked a silly question or two but no one seems to mind.

I would add don't get yourself in debt over collecting. Pay only what you can and if layaway is an option do it if needed. It's helped me out!

Don't try and keep up with the masses. There are people here who have every thing you can imagine(Alec and the absent Bob Jackson come immediately to mind but there are many others!) Their collections are stunning. Don't even attempt to keep up with others. Collect what YOU like. I have sold one S/L to buy another S/L that I would rather have. I have done that several times. For me it's the particular book and whether or not it's a favorite of mine. I collect limiteds, flatsigned, inscribed, whatever I fancy. Only buy from trusted members here, Bett's, or a reputable seller. ANYTIME I see something on ebay I ask people here for signature help. I've gotten better with sigs and sometimes it's obvious one way or another but I still ask. I'd rather ask a dumb question and get expert confirmation than not ask and buy something fake.

Like Brian said, have fun!

Establish rules for yourself that govern your collection and try to follow them.

Collect what you like.
Make a plan.

Facebook does NOT have higher prices. eBay and ABE... yes. Betts no. What Facebook group are you seeing the pricing on? Most have commenting allowed to stop any gouging or too high price. One of the best places is HERE... in the classified thread.

Agreed signed Limited’s are the way to go over flat.

:drool: too funny

Some good advice above..Condition is everything. Here and Betts are the best place to buy. FB prices are typically higher than those avenues and more aligned with ebay (but generally better than ABE) Do your research and learn the market(will save you tons in the long run)..Focus on what you enjoy to collect, make mini goals and try to achieve them.Build relationships with collectors that you trust...ask questions. Dont use bubble mailers...ever

I don’t use Facebook guys so I don’t know who’s correct here.

Me and chad love to agree. Sometimes. Haha we Love each other though. Lol

Best way to be, Kris!

I think there's been lot of great advice here so far - and lots that applies to people who have been collecting for awhile also. My own collecting has evolved since I started 7-8 years ago, and I'm sure that's true for a number of people here. Part of that is due to changing circumstances - more/less money available over time, more/less space available over time... In fact, I'd love to hear some more details from collectors who have been doing this for decades! What were your collecting habits like 10 years ago? 20? 30? How were these changes related to your life circumstances versus your preferences?

I'll refrain from writing a long and convoluted post here and distill my meager advice (based on my own experiences) into, say, three main points. I think they're largely in line with what people have been saying, maybe with some nuance or slight disagreement about details.

For context, I am not primarily a King collector, though King is an important part of my collection. Probably more than ever since joining these boards - the love for fine King books is infectious! I collect primarily S/L small press books in the weird/horror/sci-fi/noir genres, with a touch of fantasy. So the output of Centipede Press, Subterranean Press, Cemetery Dance, Suntup Editions, Zagava Press, and some other ones keeps me really happy (not that I collect all books from all of those presses - far from it). I also collect first editions of books I love, and other random editions that are in some way unique - good cover art, nice materials, etc.

1. Collect books that make you happy. I'm no Marie Kondo devotee, but the biggest change that I made in my collecting habits was realizing in 2017 that while my book collection overall made me happy, there were certain parts of it that I enjoyed more than others. There were certain books that I gravitated to, books that made me really happy to own, and, especially, books I want to see every day! Of all the bookcases in my house there is one that brings me special joy - the one I keep in my office and for which the theme is simply: books I like to look at every day. Not take out and read, but just rest my gaze upon and feel contented. Because I'm a collector, and collectors are crazy, I never wanted to part with any of my books, ever. But in 2017 I flipped a switch and decided that there were a large number of books I'd be willing to sell in order to get a small number of books that I really loved.

Also, when you collect books that make you happy, you can often find cheap or reasonably-priced books that fulfill this criteria because they are not particularly collectible by other standards. I have a number of mass market paperbacks, regular paperbacks, and foreign editions that have art I really like or are unique in some way. Most of them weren't particularly expensive and I like to rotate which ones I display. Very few of them are going to command a premium on the secondary market - in fact, most I would be lucky to sell for what I paid - but for a bunch of <$20 books, they were well worth it to me.

I agree with this 100%.

I think King is a special case here, because a lot of collectors here have the same story as Mulleins - the ability to pick up a not-great copy, find a better one, and sell the not-great copy to help pay for it. And with the King community being so large, and lots of people trying to get in at different price points, this makes sense.

But for non-King books, I have never had success "trading up". What I have almost always found is that the very fine book that I want keeps going up in price over time, while the mediocre copy stagnates. So if I buy a book with the hope of "trading up" later, my book has not really appreciated, but the very fine book has, so I'm actually behind where I was when I got the mediocre copy. As such, I tend now to avoid books for which I later intend to trade up. There are exceptions, of course - mostly to fill a gap in my collection that's bothering me...

This goes doubly with S/L books. Unlike first editions of many books, which were printed for a mass audience and which can be found in all sorts of conditions, S/L books were printed for collectors. This means that a much higher percentage of them are in very good to pristine condition. In my experience (and other people may disagree), it's very very hard to sell a less than VG S/L book for what you "think" it should be worth.

3. Don't buy books with the intention of flipping them until you get much, much better at identifying what books are worth and what the market is. This is like any other hobby/investment. There are people who have been doing it a lot longer and are vastly better at it, and the chance that you are going to stumble upon the "deal of a lifetime" that one of those guys missed is slim-to-none, especially on the internet. If there's a book with a price that's too good to be true, and it's publicly available on eBay or something, an expert is going to find it very quickly. If it hangs around, it's because you're missing something that they saw.

The exception to this is the "Intriguing Stephen King..." thread and some other threads around here. Because this is an awesome site, there are lots of people here who will alert the other collectors to a book that's available at a nice price instead of jumping right on it and reselling it themselves. It's a really kind thing to do that allows newer collectors to expand their collections with books they might otherwise not be able to get. If one of the more experienced collectors here points to a book and says "this is a deal" then it probably is.

Soooooo.... it looks like I still managed to write a long and convoluted post, which is a sure sign that I'm actively shirking some responsibility somewhere else...

:doh:

And so, now that we have "advised" the living shit out of the poor man............................................... .................... lol lol lol

Just kidding, there is very good advice to be had here. Something I wish I had access to when I started collecting those many years ago. Regardless, these are some of the pre-eminent King collectors around and they offer you sound advice to beginning your journey. I wish you the very best luck and be sure to have fun!!!!!

kingfan2323
04-26-2019, 05:15 PM
I have been collecting for a long time and there is some great advice here! Reiterations but wanted to throw in:

1. Narrow it down- Maybe collect first editions first? Much more affordable and will keep you busy. Then maybe do something like US Limited Gift Editions only or Just Stephen King Cemetery Dance (these are just examples)

2. Make relationships- It is fun and makes you feel part of a community and you have plenty of sources for help, purchasing, and showing off your new stuff.

3. Proper care- store your books correctly, take care of them, cover themn (mylar and slips), dust them, admire them.

Randall Flagg
04-26-2019, 05:22 PM
Just do as I say, not as I do.

willybusmc
04-26-2019, 08:38 PM
I very much appreciate all of the advice, from the serious to the silly. Helping the new guy is a big part of what seems to make this community so great. It has all been taken in and considered and I'm sure will help me going forward. Thanks again, everyone.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-27-2019, 04:01 AM
I very much appreciate all of the advice, from the serious to the silly. Helping the new guy is a big part of what seems to make this community so great. It has all been taken in and considered and I'm sure will help me going forward. Thanks again, everyone.

Just point out that silly guy and I'll take care of him for you.

Seriously - you're on a path of great rewards.

TnTzDad
04-27-2019, 04:38 AM
I'm not all that seasoned and find most of this advice to be very helpful, as well. As I was searching for anything on a dealer I've been working with to see if the vibe was good I found a lot on him here: Recommended bookdealers (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?2342-Recommended-bookdealers) My added advice to a newby is to use this site for references...who on the outside to trust and not to trust.

The Library Policeman
04-27-2019, 02:06 PM

Some fucking coward gave me negative rep for this :lol:

A website of grown men and women apparently.

I hope your collection catches fire.

Merlin1958
04-27-2019, 02:14 PM

Balanced it out for you, dude!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Wow...is Mark Zuckerberg a member here?...thats lame as hell

The Library Policeman
04-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Balanced it out for you, dude!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lol thank you brutha :thumbsup:

The Library Policeman
04-27-2019, 02:29 PM

Wow...is Mark Zuckerberg a member here?...thats lame as hell

Haha dunno what’s going on Chad. Wouldn’t put it past Zuckerberg though! :lol:

lotuz
04-27-2019, 02:29 PM

I think I got negative rep for my comment/advice too, which seemed relatively innocuous :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe someone's in a bad mood today.

Whoever it is: I hope you have a better day tomorrow!

The Library Policeman
04-27-2019, 02:33 PM

I think I got negative rep for my comment/advice too, which seemed relatively innocuous :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe someone's in a bad mood today.

Whoever it is: I hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Yeah bit weird isn’t it? I gave you positive rep to compensate also.

Randall Flagg
04-27-2019, 03:17 PM
I looked into the negative rep. A relatively new member here seems to have gone hog wild giving out positive and negative rep. The member has no "power" as far as adding or subtracting points when giving rep. I'm a bit mystified. I'll try to contact them.

willybusmc
04-27-2019, 04:06 PM
I looked into the negative rep. A relatively new member here seems to have gone hog wild giving out positive and negative rep. The member has no "power" as far as adding or subtracting points when giving rep. I'm a bit mystified. I'll try to contact them.

Hey guys, I'm the one who apparently gave out some of you guys negative rep. It was unintentional, I went down the line and gave all the responses to my question positive rep. Or at least, I tried to. Not really sure how some came across negative, but I assure you it was an accident. RF let me know that it happened and I cleared it up with him. He tells me he has fixed the problem. Again, sorry for that strange mixup. I've had nothing but positive experiences here and certainly meant to reflect that.

Will (who doesn't hate any of you)

Merlin1958
04-27-2019, 05:40 PM

Hey guys, I'm the one who apparently gave out some of you guys negative rep. It was unintentional, I went down the line and gave all the responses to my question positive rep. Or at least, I tried to. Not really sure how some came across negative, but I assure you it was an accident. RF let me know that it happened and I cleared it up with him. He tells me he has fixed the problem. Again, sorry for that strange mixup. I've had nothing but positive experiences here and certainly meant to reflect that.

LOL Shit really does happen!!!! LOL Thanks for owning up on the mess and working with, El Jefe to rectify it. Does this mean I get the positive rep I gave to, Alan back? lol j/k lol

Brian861
04-27-2019, 11:38 PM

Bad Marine :nope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NP8y63Ms4o

willybusmc
04-28-2019, 12:12 AM

Bad Marine :nope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NP8y63Ms4o

*Me handing out negatives* "You are ALL equally worthless!"

The Library Policeman
04-28-2019, 03:44 AM
I got another negative so I think you’re off the hook willy. Pretty confident I know who it is though. I’m embarrassed for them.

Randall Flagg
04-28-2019, 06:16 AM
I got another negative so I think you’re off the hook willy. Pretty confident I know who it is though. I’m embarrassed for them.
Don't be too confident. I'm not even familiar with the member as they haven't posted in over 16 months, and only have e few posts. Weird.

Brian861
04-28-2019, 10:00 AM

Ashamed. Considering you're one of the best people here, Alan.

kingfan2323
04-28-2019, 10:27 AM
As my dad is fond of saying "Not to change the subject but . . . " Can you guys tell me how many King books were available, if any, with a King signatures from the publisher? I am referring to when the signed book has a sticker on the jacket "Signed by Author" or similar and available at a retail location. Like the Thomas Harris books coming out soon as an example.

Thanks,

Br!an
04-28-2019, 11:19 AM
As my dad is fond of saying "Not to change the subject but . . . " Can you guys tell me how many King books were available, if any, with a King signatures from the publisher? I am referring to when the signed book has a sticker on the jacket "Signed by Author" or similar and available at a retail location. Like the Thomas Harris books coming out soon as an example.

Thanks,

Duddits

That's all I've got.

Not really what you are thinking though.

No trade editions as far as I know.

He would do signings to promote the book release though.

The Library Policeman
04-28-2019, 01:21 PM

Ashamed. Considering you're one of the best people here, Alan.

Very kind of you to say that, thanks Brian. Those are the only 2 occasions I’ve ever had negative rep in the nearly ten years of posting here. *shrugs*

Randall Flagg
04-29-2019, 05:17 AM
100 copies of Full Dark No Stars BCE came signed and had a sticker.

TnTzDad
04-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Can I get some authenticity input on this sig? https://i.imgur.com/EjywtWe.png

Merlin1958
04-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Can I get some authenticity input on this sig? https://i.imgur.com/EjywtWe.png

thumbsdownlarge

Randall Flagg
04-30-2019, 02:17 PM
Without reference to scale, I say it's a legit modern day cramped signature.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-30-2019, 02:30 PM
I know we always ask for close up pictures, but this time, can you post another a little further back?

Mulleins

Merlin1958
04-30-2019, 02:37 PM

IDK, El Jefe. That looks seriously no bueno to me. However, I'll defer to your greater expertise in these matters.

FWIW I wouldn't want that sig in my collection.

Br!an
04-30-2019, 02:42 PM

I'm leaning that way as well.

TnTzDad
04-30-2019, 04:51 PM

Auction: Blaze - Richard Bachman / Stephen King (2007)- Hardcover - Signed (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaze-Richard-Bachman-Stephen-King-2007-Hardcover-Signed/273779823262?hash=item3fbe8c929e:g:6XIAAOSwKWxcmrx J)

The seller has a number of similarly priced signed books.

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Yeah i dont like it..

Ben Eads
04-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Hello, fellow beloved book collectors!

I've been storing my books in Brodart Archival quality zip-lock bags for fifteen years, and I've never had a problem. Perhaps it's because I open the bags once a month so they can breathe? I've done this due to silverfish, etc... Silverfish are really bad here. Had a book totally eaten up by them. Pest control hasn't been much help either.

Am I doing something wrong? Is what I'm doing okay for the books? I don't want to harm the book.

Thanks!

Ben

east-tennessee
04-30-2019, 06:31 PM

Auction: Blaze - Richard Bachman / Stephen King (2007)- Hardcover - Signed (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaze-Richard-Bachman-Stephen-King-2007-Hardcover-Signed/273779823262?hash=item3fbe8c929e:g:6XIAAOSwKWxcmrx J)

The seller has a number of similarly priced signed books.

Signature looks good to me, but book has no number line, must be a BCE. If it was a 1st/1st it would be a $500-$800 book.

TnTzDad
04-30-2019, 06:42 PM
Ahh, I overlooked that.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-01-2019, 03:08 AM
Ahh, I overlooked that.

Correct, it's a signed bookclub.

It's missing this:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/Blaze_First_Page.JPG

Mulleins

becca69
05-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Yeah i dont like it..

I don't either and there are quite a few he has that are questionable.

Ben Eads
05-01-2019, 12:48 PM

I've been storing my books in Brodart Archival quality zip-lock bags for fifteen years, and I've never had a problem. Perhaps it's because I open the bags once a month so they can breathe? I've done this due to silverfish, etc... Silverfish are really bad here. Had a book totally eaten up by them. Pest control hasn't been much help either.

Am I doing something wrong? Is what I'm doing okay for the books? I don't want to harm the book.

Thanks!

Ben

Randall,

Do you think anyone would be interested in creating a "Caring For Your Collectibles thread?"

Thoughts would be appreciated from you and the community.

The Library Policeman
05-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Thanks!

Ben

Randall,

Do you think anyone would be interested in creating a "Caring For Your Collectibles thread?"

There’s already a whole section for this, Ben:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?129-Collecting-Tutorials

Ben Eads
05-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Thanks!

Ben

Randall,

There’s already a whole section for this, Ben:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?129-Collecting-Tutorials

Wow! I scoured the site and couldn't find it. Thanks! I'll post my questions there.

Br!an
05-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Thanks!

Ben

I'm in Florida too. Silverfish, aka., bookworms are a HUGE problem! :panic:

Just make sure that you have the air conditioner on and the humidity under control when you bag/rebag the books. (I bag books too.)

Ben Eads
05-01-2019, 03:29 PM

Thanks!

Ben

Just make sure that you have the air conditioner on and the humidity under control when you bag/rebag the books. (I bag books too.)

I know, right?

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! Heron, my pest control company, have given me these things that look like a pack of black-cats. I've placed them around where the books are stored and they get eaten up over time. Hell, it's like there's a war on for my books!

Do you open your bags to let them "breathe" or leave them closed?

Br!an
05-01-2019, 03:54 PM

Thanks!

Ben

I know, right?

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! Heron, my pest control company, have given me these things that look like a pack of black-cats. I've placed them around where the books are stored and they get eaten up over time. Hell, it's like there's a war on for my books!

I've had success with Boric acid. I use the straight Boric acid, it is also available as a bait. I have Boric acid behind my baseboards and behind my bookcases.

Boric acid also helps with the Palmetto bugs.

Ben Eads
05-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Thanks!

Ben

I know, right?

I've had success with Boric acid. I use the straight Boric acid, it is also available as a bait. I have Boric acid behind my baseboards and behind my bookcases.

Looks like I'm buying some boric acid! Thanks for the help, man. Do you keep yours bagged or do you open them from time to time?

Br!an
05-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Thanks!

Ben

I know, right?

Looks like I'm buying some boric acid! Thanks for the help, man. Do you keep yours bagged or do you open them from time to time?

I keep them bagged. Unless I have a reason to open it.

Ben Eads
05-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Thanks!

Ben

I know, right?

I keep them bagged. Unless I have a reason to open it.

I think I'll do the same. I've forgot to "breathe" them and nothing happened.

vincent
05-03-2019, 01:47 AM
Hi folks,

does anyone have any information on when exactly 'Salem's Lot came out in the UK? It was in 1976, but does anyone know the month by any chance? Or the season? I can't find any info on this in all the places I know to look...

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-03-2019, 03:15 AM
I have August, 1976 for the paperback, NEL, 45002946 8, but that probably doesn't help.

vincent
05-03-2019, 03:33 AM
Thanks a lot Steve! It does, as the hardback was most likely published before that, so it narrows it down considerably.

The number, is that an ISBN? Could it be you've missed a digit? If it's an ISBN, I believe it should be 10 digits.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-03-2019, 05:57 AM
Hi folks,

does anyone have any information on when exactly 'Salem's Lot came out in the UK? It was in 1976, but does anyone know the month by any chance? Or the season? I can't find any info on this in all the places I know to look...

Nobody knows for certain. The only details we collectors have is:

London, England: New English Library, 1976, 439 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-450-02860-7.

The US hard back came out in October 1975. The US Signet paperback came out in August 1976 , so my guess is between those dates.

vincent
05-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Thanks very much for this!

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Here's my not so great copy. I got the information from the copyright page:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/sukpb1.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/sukpb2.JPG

Garrell
05-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Here's my not so great copy. I got the information from the copyright page:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/sukpb1.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/sukpb2.JPG

Very neat paperback btw

peripheral
05-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Wow, I've never seen that first edition pb cover, Steve - differs a lot from the second impression.

lotuz
05-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Wow, I've never seen that first edition pb cover, Steve - differs a lot from the second impression.

I love how they altered the text to mis-align across the "break"!!

(Guessing they didn't do it with the face because it would have looked super weird.)

vincent
05-04-2019, 12:24 AM
Thanks a bunch, Steve, for the pictures. I hadn't seen that one before as well, looks great! Very cool that you have one, congrats.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-04-2019, 03:46 AM
Someone here has one in almost new condition, but I can't remember who it is. I'd pay at least 10 US dollars for it!

Garrell
05-04-2019, 06:19 AM
$10.01, I win

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-04-2019, 11:46 PM
Someone here has one in almost new condition, but I can't remember who it is. I'd pay at least 10 US dollars for it!

Bob (Carlos)

Brian861
05-04-2019, 11:58 PM

$10.01, I win

I'm only bidding a dollar in case you guys overbid.

Garrell
05-06-2019, 11:43 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190506/4f56e7bf79d3361ea6f4f913f520157f.jpg
Opinion on this signature?

Randall Flagg
05-06-2019, 11:49 AM
I looked at ~8 sigs from King dated 1983-1984. I think it's good

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-06-2019, 11:58 AM
I wouldnt want it...that definitely doesnt look like a King "2" IMO

webstar1000
05-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Odd I don’t mind the signature but don’t like the date.... tough one.

Cook
05-06-2019, 01:07 PM
I have about seven issues with this one. if it were one or two max I might be ok but..
this one makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Sorry but that's my honest opinion.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190506/4f56e7bf79d3361ea6f4f913f520157f.jpg
Opinion on this signature?

peripheral
05-06-2019, 01:23 PM
It’s a “no, that’s a fugazi” from me ....

The Library Policeman
05-06-2019, 01:43 PM
I wouldn’t be comfortable with that one in my collection either I’m afraid.

kingfan2323
05-06-2019, 04:09 PM
I only by limited editions for this exact reason but curious on some of the reasons that earn a thumbs down on a signature? Maybe on future sig inquiries? Just Curious.

herbertwest
05-07-2019, 10:08 AM
Stephen King reminded me, via twitter, that Joyland was being reissued today.
I sort of recall that it's a brand new edition with new illustrations, but I am not 100% sure

Any idea?

Munnecom
05-07-2019, 10:12 AM
You mean The Colorado Kid, and yes, it's the new, heavily illustrated paperback edition from Hard Case Crime.

Edit:

In case anyone is wondering (like I was), I contacted HCC back when this was first announced and they told me that there are no plans for a hardcover release.

Shame, the world could use more versions of this book if you ask me.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Isn't that THE COLORADO KID? Mine was due from Amazon today, but I'm having work done on my front yard and mail delivery was not possible.

EDIT, please see above!

herbertwest
05-08-2019, 02:52 AM
Yes, my bad. It's actually COLORADO KID !

mikeko
05-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Hello,

apologies if thats not the right place to post it! Newbie here.

I have bought 'The Bachman Books' off the FB marketplace and I was very surprised when it's arrived - in B5 size and published by Guild Publishing London.

I already have the NEL and BCA editions but cannot find anything anywhere about this nor has it an ISBN.

would anyone know more?

https://i.ibb.co/xFY4dcb/59637516-285254252427940-2139813656748097536-n.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/VWPfXTn/59745766-497671314397434-456011723086757888-n.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/DgPn5gY/59845542-584843872037789-2946235157171929088-n.jpg

The Library Policeman
05-08-2019, 10:37 AM
It’s a UK book club version. Fairly common and holds no monetary value I’m afraid.

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-08-2019, 10:53 AM
What Alan said^

mikeko
05-08-2019, 12:24 PM
That's fair enough, wasn't looking for a jackpot, just couldn't find another picture, or any record in the web of GPL publishing it. 🙂

Hunchback Jack
05-10-2019, 10:06 AM
UK Kings are often (always?) published by either Guild Publishing or BCA, and sometimes both. And as others have said, they don't hold much value. I do quite like them as reading copies, though.

HBJ

Hunchback Jack
05-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Question about prices for books with movie adaptations.

There was an interesting discussion in the eBay thread about how the IT trailer might affect a lettered IT on the market. I'd like to hear people's take on how an upcoming or released movie might affect value of collectible editions of King's work.

Obviously I can see how the release of IT part two would increase sales of trade copies, as people who liked the movie would want to read the book. Similarly, I can see how some fraction of that group would want to acquire a nice edition, such as the CD gift edition, perhaps a 1/1 if they can get one, or even the signed numbered CD edition.

But does a movie release affect the market value of a high-priced item like a lettered edition? I would expect anyone willing to drop $5K+ on a book is not a casual bookbuyer, but someone who is already a King collector, and unlikely to be influenced too much by the movie release.

Is that the case? For the buyers/sellers here, what has been your experience of this?

HBJ

webstar1000
05-10-2019, 10:16 AM

There was an interesting discussion in the eBay thread about how the IT trailer might affect a lettered IT on the market. I'd like to hear people's take on how an upcoming or released movie might affect value of collectible editions of King's work.

Obviously I can see how the release of IT part two would increase sales of trade copies, as people who liked the movie would want to read the book. Similarly, I can see how some fraction of that group would want to acquire a nice edition, such as the CD gift edition, perhaps a 1/1 if they can get one, or even the signed numbered CD edition.

But does a movie release affect the market value of a high-priced item like a lettered edition? I would expect anyone willing to drop $5K+ on a book is not a casual bookbuyer, but someone who is already a King collector, and unlikely to be influenced too much by the movie release.

Is that the case? For the buyers/sellers here, what has been your experience of this?

HBJ

IT part 2 I believe will not increase the books... like the 1st one BUT may even drop as I again... believe the market will be somewhat overrun. In general.. yeah movie's def affect value. IF they are good.. LIKE the first IT. Did nothing for the Dark Tower as everyone hated it. But if we get a "A-LA Game of Thones" with the Amazon series? Yes... I think the books will go up over the various mediums.

Merlin1958
05-10-2019, 10:36 AM

HBJ

HBJ

IT part 2 I believe will not increase the books... like the 1st one BUT may even drop as I again... believe the market will be somewhat overrun. In general.. yeah movie's def affect value. IF they are good.. LIKE the first IT. Did nothing for the Dark Tower as everyone hated it. But if we get a "A-LA Game of Thones" with the Amazon series? Yes... I think the books will go up over the various mediums.

I have to agree with you guys for the most part. I can't see the film having all that much of an affect on any signed editions. As you stated anyone willing to fork over $500 and up for a "special edition" would have to already be a King collector or a serious "Movie memorabilia" collector. It would seem to me that the film could cause an impact with those serious "Movie Buffs" on the more pricey editions, but beyond that it should pretty much go as HBJ stated. Just my two cents is all.

Of course, on the other hand, God knows where prices could go (assuming Pt2 is a hit) on the no doubt numerous promotional items guaranteed to hit the market. Who knows what items like balloons, action figures, dolls, special DVD's, posters, etc, etc, will catch the fancy of the movie going and horror watching public. That could get a little crazy, but I don't see it bubbling over to collectible books in general. If its as good as the first installment it will certainly pique interest in a wider range of the public in anything 'IT". lol

Brian861
05-10-2019, 11:52 AM
No expert here by any means but I can't see a movie, any movie compelling a non-collector to spend big bucks on a book. Especially one that just plan on reading because they found the movie interesting. I don't know about you guys but most look at me funny when I even tell them I collect books. And really funny when you tell them how much you've spent or that they are worth. We're a small niche in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with WB that folks will spend a ton on trinkets (memorabilia) if they like something. Whether it be movies, actors, celebrities, sports teams, etc.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Successful movies usually get a new paperback release with the cover depicting something from the movie. But as nobody buys paperbacks anymore, and publishing houses are all struggling, even these are losing to ebooks.

The success or failure of a movie does not usually effect the collectabilaty or price of a limited edition book. Its a totally different market.

sentinel
05-11-2019, 06:55 AM
Successful movies usually get a new paperback release with the cover depicting something from the movie. But as nobody buys paperbacks anymore, and publishing houses are all struggling, even these are losing to ebooks.

The success or failure of a movie does not usually effect the collectabilaty or price of a limited edition book. Its a totally different market.

Just for the record E-book sales are declining.

Full year 2018 e-book unit sales -7 percent on 2017 Traditionally published e-books volume tracked through NPD PubTrack Digital was down-7 percent for the year with 160 million units sold compared to 173 million in 2017. This is a greater decline than we saw in 2017, when e-books were down -5 percent on the prior year. Combining print book sales from NPD BookScan with e-book sales from NPD PubTrack Digital, e-books represented about 19 percent of total unit sales in 2018, a slight decline compared to 20 percent in 2017. For those keeping track, 2013 was the height of the e-book market at 28% market share.

Cook
05-11-2019, 07:26 AM

Full year 2018 e-book unit sales -7 percent on 2017 Traditionally published e-books volume tracked through NPD PubTrack Digital was down-7 percent for the year with 160 million units sold compared to 173 million in 2017. This is a greater decline than we saw in 2017, when e-books were down -5 percent on the prior year. Combining print book sales from NPD BookScan with e-book sales from NPD PubTrack Digital, e-books represented about 19 percent of total unit sales in 2018, a slight decline compared to 20 percent in 2017. For those keeping track, 2013 was the height of the e-book market at 28% market share.

Just out of curiosity, are audio sales on the decline as well or is that included in your stats?

sentinel
05-11-2019, 08:09 AM

Just out of curiosity, are audio sales on the decline as well or is that included in your stats?

That report didn't have audio on it. The year end Publishers Weekly had Fiction Audio up 7% to last year, that's downloads and physical copies. I can tell you it's all downloads, nobody hardly ever buys a CD audio book. (except rabid Stephen King Completists)

Garrell
05-13-2019, 07:05 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190513/335a36e54bce62e28df66b49d6927c9c.jpg
Thoughts on this signature

Roseannebarr
05-13-2019, 07:10 AM
I don’t know Sylvia So I cant confirm if that’s her signature or not. But. In my opinion opinion that is a great inscription and signature from king. Based on the inscription alone!!

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-13-2019, 07:10 AM
Yep its good

Cook
05-13-2019, 07:37 AM
I believe it to be 100% genuine :thumbsup:

webstar1000
05-23-2019, 11:22 AM
I acquired a very cool piece. Almost call it Limited... and well signed. Anyone have or have seen?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190523/9b9d03b038986eb220ea6c73626cc4da.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190523/5ca209e154738bdab3dd5b6c6ef9d9f6.jpg

Randall Flagg
05-23-2019, 11:24 AM
I believe tippy4 has(d) one.

The Library Policeman
05-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Saw a few of those pop up on ebay at the time they were issued. Very cool, Kris.

St. Troy
05-23-2019, 11:49 AM
That's an interesting form of support, imaginative.

Pasiuk57
05-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Kris
Super great!

Patrick
05-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Nice! I like it.

jon10g
05-25-2019, 08:16 AM
Very nice!

tippy4
05-25-2019, 11:40 AM
I believe tippy4 has(d) one.

I do indeed.

allasorte
05-25-2019, 12:22 PM

HBJ

What about the can of worms I am opening when mentioning multiple editions of the same title? True, the first edition of The Shining is valuable, but now with the more recent signed limited of the same comparable edition, that is valued more and people are wanting King's signature more with this signed limited, being limited. So the question then is, "Do the older editions lose some value because of the multiple editions being produced?"

Randall Flagg
05-25-2019, 02:25 PM

HBJ

What about the can of worms I am opening when mentioning multiple editions of the same title? True, the first edition of The Shining is valuable, but now with the more recent signed limited of the same comparable edition, that is valued more and people are wanting King's signature more with this signed limited, being limited. So the question then is, "Do the older editions lose some value because of the multiple editions being produced?"

It's a long and convoluted answer:

NO

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-31-2019, 11:08 AM
What is the real story about the Hodder MISERY flipback book? I find the prices on Abe Books (the only place I could find any), hard to believe. Do they reflect reality or are the sellers dreaming?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-31-2019, 10:28 PM
What is the real story about the Hodder MISERY flipback book? I find the prices on Abe Books (the only place I could find any), hard to believe. Do they reflect reality or are the sellers dreaming?

There is no market for these. The people who collect oddities like this already have their copies. The ones on Abe, or anywhere else, will not sell.

Roog
05-31-2019, 11:02 PM

There is no market for these. The people who collect oddities like this already have their copies. The ones on Abe, or anywhere else, will not sell.
The same goes for most of the older Turtleback editions. Sometimes hundreds of Dollars which surely nobody will ever pay for.

kingfan2323
06-01-2019, 01:09 AM

The same goes for most of the older Turtleback editions. Sometimes hundreds of Dollars which surely nobody will ever pay for.If this is the case I would like to buy one. Should be inexpensive on here.

seeking: anything DT related #246
Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)

herbertwest
06-01-2019, 04:20 AM

Agreed

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Thanks, that's more or less what I was thinking.

kingfan2323
06-02-2019, 11:43 PM

AgreedAnyone else have feedback on this? Curious.

kingfan2323
06-02-2019, 11:49 PM
Can someone clarify "owning the rights" to future numbers? I have dark tower 2-9 of #246 but do not own rights correct? How can I?

Also I bought all 4 DoubleDay Artist Editions matching numbers from Betts. I know Mindy will help get my future doubleday numbers if she can but can I "own" the number?

Thanks All!

herbertwest
06-03-2019, 01:51 AM

What kind of information are you looking for?

kingfan2323
06-03-2019, 01:53 AM

What kind of information are you looking for?Hi. Value and availability. No market value should suggest some availability and low price but do not see that anywhere. Thanks for your input.

Br!an
06-03-2019, 03:24 AM
Can someone clarify "owning the rights" to future numbers? I have dark tower 2-9 of #246 but do not own rights correct? How can I?

Also I bought all 4 DoubleDay Artist Editions matching numbers from Betts. I know Mindy will help get my future doubleday numbers if she can but can I "own" the number?

Thanks All!

For the Grant books you should wait until the next The Dark Tower book is announced by Grant Publishing and then email Grant informing them that you own #246 TWTTK.

As for the Bett's books, that number goes to David. The number rights do not normally transfer to the buyer. If David is willing to give up those rights, then Mindy will assign the number to you and update the database to include you in the next presale. You will still need to respond to the order confirmation email requesting that number every time you place an order for the series.

C1TIZEN_X
06-03-2019, 05:08 AM

Thanks All!

For the Grant books you should wait until the next The Dark Tower book is announced by Grant Publishing and then email Grant informing them that you own #246 TWTTK.

As for the Bett's books, that number goes to David. The number rights do not normally transfer to the buyer. If David is willing to give up those rights, then Mindy will assign the number to you and update the database to include you in the next presale. You will still need to respond to the order confirmation email requesting that number every time you place an order for the series.

The issue I ran into in regards to the Doubleday Artist editions is the number I was able to get on those is a number that is reserved for a Lifetime member who did not buy the artist editions. So, I was not able to get the same number for the Sleeping Beauties S/L because it was already taken. No worries, I still got the book :) Just not matching numbers to what I already have.

herbertwest
06-03-2019, 07:27 AM

What kind of information are you looking for?Hi. Value and availability. No market value should suggest some availability and low price but do not see that anywhere. Thanks for your input.

In all honesty, I do not have much more informations that you do.
There are hardly any copies, and the only ones are available at very high prices. I also own one.

Given the rarity, I would say that they never actually sale, so as for the value, I would say that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay to have it in their collection.

I know that this doesnt help you at all, am sorry about it, but there arent much more information out there.
I tried to find out the print run, but couldnt access that info

Roog
06-03-2019, 08:16 AM
I cannot find any new Flipback books, did they stop releasing them in the UK? Maybe that made them more scarce, Misery was the 6th Flipback release.

kingfan2323
06-03-2019, 08:38 AM

In all honesty, I do not have much more informations that you do.
There are hardly any copies, and the only ones are available at very high prices. I also own one.

Given the rarity, I would say that they never actually sale, so as for the value, I would say that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay to have it in their collection.

I know that this doesnt help you at all, am sorry about it, but there arent much more information out there.
I tried to find out the print run, but couldnt access that infoSo safe to say there is a "market value" for them. Thanks.

kingfan2323
06-03-2019, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the clarification on owning numbers C1tizen and Brian.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-03-2019, 08:45 AM
I cannot find any new Flipback books, did they stop releasing them in the UK? Maybe that made them more scarce, Misery was the 6th Flipback release.

The Flipbacks (12 books selling for £9.99) were a massive flop. They were shoddily made from "Bible" paper. "Great for making rollies," Most of them went to the recycle bin.

https://laurastanfill.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dlinhand1.jpg

Roog
06-03-2019, 10:42 AM

The Flipbacks (12 books selling for £9.99) were a massive flop. They were shoddily made from "Bible" paper. "Great for making rollies," Most of them went to the recycle bin.

https://laurastanfill.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dlinhand1.jpg
Thanks for that.
Great difference with here in Holland. Almost 600 Dwarsligger books have been released so far.

herbertwest
06-03-2019, 11:17 AM
An handful in France only

vincent
06-03-2019, 11:20 AM
These books do ok in Belgium as well. You find them near the cash-register in bookstores, people apparently read them on trains.

kingfan2323
06-03-2019, 11:21 AM
These books do ok in Belgium as well. You find them near the cash-register in bookstores, people apparently read them on trains.Seeking a reasonably priced Misery. Appreciate it

vincent
06-03-2019, 11:23 AM
These books do ok in Belgium as well. You find them near the cash-register in bookstores, people apparently read them on trains.Seeking a reasonably priced Misery. Appreciate it

Sorry, I meant the flipbook books in general. I don't have a Misery one. If I should see one in a store, I'll be sure to get it and contact you.

kingfan2323
06-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Sorry, I meant the flipbook books in general. I don't have a Misery one. If I should see one in a store, I'll be sure to get it and contact you.Open to the forum. And THANK YOU SO MUCH.

herbertwest
06-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Someone on reddit seems to have said that the "newest" version of 112263 (whatever that means : us, uk? dates? covers?) may include the alternate ending?

It's probably not true, but any chance for people to check?

St. Troy
06-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Someone on reddit seems to have said that the "newest" version of 112263 (whatever that means : us, uk? dates? covers?) may include the alternate ending?

I'll ask in advance, since I have yet to read 11/22/63:

*If anyone is inclined to mention the ending of 11/22/63 (actual or alternate), please put it in a spoiler tag thing to hide it.*

Much appreciated!

The Library Policeman
06-03-2019, 12:28 PM

I'll ask in advance, since I have yet to read 11/22/63:

*If anyone is inclined to mention the ending of 11/22/63 (actual or alternate), please put it in a spoiler tag thing to hide it.*

Much appreciated!

You’re in for a treat it’s a great story :thumbsup:

Lurker
06-03-2019, 12:29 PM
I liked the flipbacks and read several of mine. No problems. Not Misery or Jasper Fforde as they are authors I collect. And they fit nicely in a CD holder.

https://i.ibb.co/HzrsY5r/FBs.jpg

The idea is still going - this month or next Penguin is issuing what they call "minis" which are flipbacks. Bunch of YA titles.

mkberger
06-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Any thoughts as to the value of a proof of the Dark Harvest edition of Lawrence Block's THE SINS OF THE FATHERS, with an introduction by King?

Randall Flagg
06-10-2019, 04:33 PM
$50

mkberger
06-10-2019, 05:01 PM
$50
Thanks!

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Hey all,

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this so hopefully some of you see this and in turn share your thoughts.
I'm thinking of possibly selling my collection. Maybe keeping the firsts(only lacking Carrie and Salem's), several of the signed that are sentimental, and perhaps the gift editions to still have some beautiful books. Probably finish out the CD Doubleday editions. The rest of the flatsigned/inscribed and S/L's would be going. Again, only THINKING about this at the moment. It's not because I have to moneywise but because it's become almost an addiction at this point. I just finished paying off two books and immediately started paying on another. I'm 46 and this is money that could go to trips, go into a savings account, etc. I love collecting and I love my books but do I NEED them? No. I do consider the investment value. My plan has been to keep them until I retire and then sell. Who knows what the book market will be in 14-15 years? It's not like I have a huge collection to begin with. And I don't want to profit on his death either. I imagine signed books would soar in price after that but it would also make me feel icky for lack of a better term. Also, I could go before him! I have no one to pass these books on to. I don't have children and most of my immediate family are older. I would miss the thrill of a new book and the hunt for that right one but I would also have that money. I'm torn right down the middle and would love to hear from anyone who has sold their collections, considered it and not done it, etc. I wouldn't be able to visit this site anymore as it would be way too tempting.
I would also sell through David.
Thank you

Lori

P.S. to my dear anonymous person if you see this, your gift would NOT be included in a sale. See above sentimental :)

Randall Flagg
06-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Was that a collecting question, or more of a random thought?

The Library Policeman
06-18-2019, 09:33 AM
I sold a lot of my collection 15 years a go and immediately regretted it. End up replacing almost everything I sold as it just bugged me constantly.

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 09:36 AM

It was a semi collecting question :) couldn't find a pertinent thread so figured this was close enough. I wanted thoughts from people on keeping or selling a collection as it's a tough decision and I value input from members here.

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 09:50 AM
I sold a lot of my collection 15 years a go and immediately regretted it. End up replacing almost everything I sold as it just bugged me constantly.

I thought I might feel that way too Alan. That's one of the things holding me back. Over the years I've sold a green mile S/L, Firestarter S/L, EOTD rebound signed, and honestly, I haven't missed them much. I do get a tiny pang occasionally when I think about The Green Mile though. If I did sell an IT S/L and Misery S/L would be involved and those are two of my favorites!

Tommy
06-18-2019, 09:55 AM

I thought I might feel that way too Alan. That's one of the things holding me back. Over the years I've sold a green mile S/L, Firestarter S/L, EOTD rebound signed, and honestly, I haven't missed them much. I do get a tiny pang occasionally when I think about The Green Mile though. If I did sell an IT S/L and Misery S/L would be involved and those are two of my favorites!

I would love to have an IT S/L but at this point, a VERY long payment plan would be necessary. I wish you the best either way you decide!

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 09:58 AM

I would love to have an IT S/L but at this point, a VERY long payment plan would be necessary. I wish you the best either way you decide!
Thank you Tommy!

Brian861
06-18-2019, 10:01 AM

We'd miss you around here for sure! Tough decision that I think a lot of us wrestle with from time to time.

WeDealInLead
06-18-2019, 10:02 AM

It was a semi collecting question :) couldn't find a pertinent thread so figured this was close enough. I wanted thoughts from people on keeping or selling a collection as it's a tough decision and I value input from members here.

I sold everything except a few books I feel strongly about. No regrets. Think about what makes you happy. If you're on a budget, think about what brings you more happiness: a book on a shelf or an experience you're missing out on because you bought the book. I still buy whatever books I want but I'm definitely a lot more selective and I no longer feel the need for a collection thread.

There's no right answer, only the answer you feel is right.

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 10:07 AM

We'd miss you around here for sure! Tough decision that I think a lot of us wrestle with from time to time.
Thanks Brian. Same here. This place is where I discovered a lot of books and bought and sold them as well. Not to mention met some very nice people :) It would be too hard though I think. Sounds silly I'm sure but it would be like an alcoholic going to a bar with free jack and cokes all night. I'll be pondering for a little bit still, weighing opinions. I may decide to keep and you'll be stuck with me forever! :thumbsup:

kingfan2323
06-18-2019, 10:09 AM

We'd miss you around here for sure! Tough decision that I think a lot of us wrestle with from time to time.Had every PS Anniversary Edition (including alt covers), The Stand is released I bought them all again (at a loss), and happy man again.

But . . Still makes me a sick sick man. But misery loves company so here I am! Ha!

The minimalist approach probably fits best- Does this material object/collecton improve my life and bring me joy? I sometimes wonder (like when a S/L Misery Is snagged from my cart while completing checkout) But If the answer is yes? You are good.

Also. . . I try to not consider selling during financially difficult times. I would hope to sell because I want to, not because I feel I NEED to.

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 10:10 AM

I sold everything except a few books I feel strongly about. No regrets. Think about what makes you happy. If you're on a budget, think about what brings you more happiness: a book on a shelf or an experience you're missing out on because you bought the book. I still buy whatever books I want but I'm definitely a lot more selective and I no longer feel the need for a collection thread.

There's no right answer, only the answer you feel is right.
Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. That's kind of where I'm leaning now. Keep the ones that mean something, continue to buy certain ones within a specific price range, and move on with life.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-18-2019, 10:11 AM
I have seen many collectors come and go over the years I have been on this site. I have noticed that collectors who obtain their collections quickly, i.e. only a couple of years, never stay around long and sell their collections off.

Easy come, easy go.

Brian861
06-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Thanks Brian. Same here. This place is where I discovered a lot of books and bought and sold them as well. Not to mention met some very nice people :) It would be too hard though I think. Sounds silly I'm sure but it would be like an alcoholic going to a bar with free jack and cokes all night. I'll be pondering for a little bit still, weighing opinions. I may decide to keep and you'll be stuck with me forever! :thumbsup:

Not a bad thing :) But like Paige said; if it's keeping you from other things and sounds like it might be a bit of burden, let it go. Don't want I shoulda coulda when you look back. I'm a collector on a budget as well so the high end stuff is usually always out of my reach. You could modify the way you collect also to enjoy other things.

DoctorZaius
06-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Hey all,

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this so hopefully some of you see this and in turn share your thoughts.
I'm thinking of possibly selling my collection. Maybe keeping the firsts(only lacking Carrie and Salem's), several of the signed that are sentimental, and perhaps the gift editions to still have some beautiful books. Probably finish out the CD Doubleday editions. The rest of the flatsigned/inscribed and S/L's would be going. Again, only THINKING about this at the moment. It's not because I have to moneywise but because it's become almost an addiction at this point. I just finished paying off two books and immediately started paying on another. I'm 46 and this is money that could go to trips, go into a savings account, etc. I love collecting and I love my books but do I NEED them? No. I do consider the investment value. My plan has been to keep them until I retire and then sell. Who knows what the book market will be in 14-15 years? It's not like I have a huge collection to begin with. And I don't want to profit on his death either. I imagine signed books would soar in price after that but it would also make me feel icky for lack of a better term. Also, I could go before him! I have no one to pass these books on to. I don't have children and most of my immediate family are older. I would miss the thrill of a new book and the hunt for that right one but I would also have that money. I'm torn right down the middle and would love to hear from anyone who has sold their collections, considered it and not done it, etc. I wouldn't be able to visit this site anymore as it would be way too tempting.
Thank you

Lori

P.S. to my dear anonymous person if you see this, your gift would NOT be included in a sale. See above sentimental :)

I've been selling some of my books of late. I have been at odds with myself as well, but in the end, some house projects just needed to get done. The way I look at it, is book collecting has an ebb and flow to it. Most items can be repurchased down the road if you/I want to get back in the game. For now, the only books I am truly married to are my Dark Tower editions and my copy of IT. Good luck in making your decision.

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 10:15 AM

We'd miss you around here for sure! Tough decision that I think a lot of us wrestle with from time to time.Had every PS Anniversary Edition (including alt covers), The Stand is released I bought them all again (at a loss), and happy man again.

But . . Still makes me a sick sick man. But misery loves company so here I am! Ha!

The minimalist approach probably fits best- Does this material object/collecton improve my life and bring me joy? I sometimes wonder (like when a S/L Misery Is snagged from my cart while completing checkout) But If the answer is yes? You are good.

Also. . . I try to not consider selling during financially difficult times. I would hope to sell because I want to, not because I feel I NEED to.

And that is the pertinent question because it DOES bring me joy. It also brings headaches. Lol.
I would be keeping my PS editions for now too ;)

and thank you for the reply.

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 10:17 AM
I have seen many collectors come and go over the years I have been on this site. I have noticed that collectors who obtain their collections quickly, i.e. only a couple of years, never stay around long and sell their collections off.

Easy come, easy go.

True true. Definitely another way to look at it. I've been going at it for a few years now but not nearly as long as you and others on here.

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Hey all,

Thank you

Lori

I've been selling some of my books of late. I have been at odds with myself as well, but in the end, some house projects just needed to get done. The way I look at it, is book collecting has an ebb and flow to it. Most items can be repurchased down the road if you/I want to get back in the game. For now, the only books I am truly married to are my Dark Tower editions and my copy of IT. Good luck in making your decision.

Thanks so much for the reply. Much appreciated.

Beverly Marsh
06-18-2019, 10:26 AM
I should clarify that I'm not in any debt, everything is paid for(or being paid for). it's more of a matter of when does it end? I wrote this in a PM to someone who contacted me. Do I do this until I die? Who gets the books? A Goodwill? No thanks. lol. I just wonder if I don't stop now or soonish when will I?

I apologize for derailing this thread a little but I do appreciate everyone's input.

amd013
06-18-2019, 11:29 AM
I have given it thought, for many of the same reasons. Every time I buy an expensive book, I wonder how long it pushed out my retirement date. I keep rationalizing, that if I feel it is holding back my retirement, I can always liquidate them. But, since I feel I am closer to the finish line then the starting line, that I will keep going. I may have to give up notions of owning some of the more expensive items like Asbestos Firestarter or Lettered Misery.

vincent
06-18-2019, 11:49 AM
thanks everyone for this interesting discussion.

If I were in your shoes, Lori, I think I would do a "trial run" first: wait for an occasion to come up where you would need funds, choose one book to sell, and see how it goes and how you feel about it afterwards. There might be too high a risk of regretting it if you do it all in one go.

I agree fully that the addictive nature of it is a pain. Seeing a listing - convincing yourself you cannot pass this one up - waiting waiting for the package - then ten minutes of utter bliss - then thinking: ok what's next? But I'm getting better at self control, so I guess there may be a balance to be found there somewhere...

Patrick
06-18-2019, 11:58 AM
There’s a middle ground between full speed ahead and selling it all. Perhaps just take a breather where you enjoy what you already have for a while and decide later when or if you start buying again.

Personally, with few exceptions, I stopped buying modern unsigned U.S. First Editions quite some time ago. They are mass produced by the millions. I’m sure I can fill in later if so desired. Saves money over time and saves a lot of shelf space.

Ultimately, of course, do whatever works for you.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-18-2019, 12:21 PM
When the zombie apocalypse arrives (soon, I hear), the more Stephen King books you have, the better. They can be used as fuel to keep you warm at night, and to make torches you can use to set the m**********n' walkin' dead dudes on fire. Which can also keep you warm if you stay close to them.

kingfan2323
06-18-2019, 12:26 PM
When the zombie apocalypse arrives (soon, I hear), the more Stephen King books you have, the better. They can be used as fuel to keep you warm at night, and to make torches you can use to set the m**********n' walkin' dead dudes on fire. Which can also keep you warm if you stay close to them.Well Fuck! Conversation over! Done! Specially since it's coming soon. Funny, 2ndBiggest

Tommy
06-18-2019, 12:50 PM
When the zombie apocalypse arrives (soon, I hear), the more Stephen King books you have, the better. They can be used as fuel to keep you warm at night, and to make torches you can use to set the m**********n' walkin' dead dudes on fire. Which can also keep you warm if you stay close to them.

The night is dark and full of terrors....or so I hear. :scared:

Beverly Marsh
06-19-2019, 06:42 AM
Well that settles it then! I'll definitely keep my signed copy of Firestarter :P

amd013
06-19-2019, 07:52 AM
I really don't get why everyone is so worked up about a zombie apocalypse. It is the vampire apocalypse you need to worry about. Didn't anyone whatch that documentary called The Passage on Fox last year? Quite frankly I don't think books are going to help you, unless it is a Bible maybe. :wink::P

amd013
06-19-2019, 08:08 AM
I know that not all of the 1st/1st of the Eyes of the Dragon have textured scales on the DJ. For those that don't have them, is the cover just green, or do they visually look the same as those that are textured. I.E. can you tell just from a photo if it is textured or not?
I am looking to replace my copy that was stolen, and want to make sure I don't accidentally buy a non-textured version.

tippy4
06-19-2019, 08:13 AM
You can see the scales in the photos......should not be an issue.

St. Troy
06-19-2019, 09:04 AM
As for helpful books, the Franklin Mint made a silver-bound bible - the closest thing to the Occido Lumen (from The Strain).

Fsmdr
06-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Is Dark Forces S/L not in the catalog? I have been known to be short sighted....

Randall Flagg
06-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Is Dark Forces S/L not in the catalog? I have been known to be short sighted....

Is Dark Forces SIGNED By King?

Fsmdr
06-19-2019, 07:57 PM

Fifty To One, journal Of Eleanor Druse & One For the Road is not signed by King either....

Kingfan24
06-19-2019, 08:19 PM

Fifty To One, journal Of Eleanor Druse & One For the Road is not signed by King either....

There is an edition of Fifty to one signed by king.

Roseannebarr
06-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Stephen king signed one for the road for me in St Louis. I really like that book!

stroppygoblin
06-20-2019, 01:24 AM
Not every book in the catalog needs to be signed by King. There is a separate subsection (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Complete+list+of+Stephen+King+S igned+Limiteds) for that.

The Main Catalog should be ALL books that have a connection to Stephen King, either as the Author, as a contributor (written a short story or an introduction or just added his signature) or is something so directly associated with King it is deemed 'Collectible' by SK fans. (Knowing Darkness is a good example of this).
Although Books about King and his works could arguably fall into this category, due to the large number we have a separate section for this.

I would argue Dark Forces should be included.

oh and my 2c on the Catalog... I cant speak for RF, but if there are any books with some association to King that someone wanted to know more about then this site is where they should always be able to find it. I may not want to own said book, but I would like to be point to a catalog entry if someone asked. (and I know we DO have gaps, so please keep letting us know of something missing!)

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 01:49 AM

Stephen king signed one for the road for me in St Louis. I really like that book!

But that doesn’t make it a signed Limited because you got your copy signed.

Cook
06-20-2019, 04:14 AM

My S/L'd Fifty to One is signed by King.. did I miss something?

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 04:15 AM

My S/L'd Fifty to One is signed by King.. did I miss something?

Nope it is. 100%

Roseannebarr
06-20-2019, 05:37 AM

😢. Ruined my day. My wife says you hate me. I tell her you just don’t get my sense of humor. It’s a limited and I was really excited to get it signed.

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 05:39 AM

[emoji22]. Ruined my day. My wife says you hate me. I tell her you just don’t get my sense of humor. It’s a limited and I was really excited to get it signed.

Your kidding right?

Randall Flagg
06-20-2019, 05:42 AM
One for the Road (although short) was written by King.

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 05:43 AM
One for the Road (although short) was written by King.

Yes it was. It also has a 1/100 little limited from PS. Although King did not sign... not sure I understand Glenn's comment though my man. Why Glenn's wife thinks I hate him is beyond me. OR how I have ruined his day. :orely:

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 05:53 AM
I do have a question for everyone. I know a few collectors have them... I just acquired one. Its the Dali picture from Don Quixote. I guess King signed these... anyone know how many?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190620/6377e96bc3e708627d4904f1e3df6802.jpg

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-20-2019, 06:00 AM
Don't think this is in the catalog either...

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/999_3.jpg

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 06:18 AM

What’s that one Alan?

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-20-2019, 06:21 AM

What’s that one Alan?

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 06:24 AM

You had one signed after the fact. OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK Glenn. lol

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-20-2019, 06:25 AM
I can't find ONE FOR THE ROAD (either edition) for sale. Any idea of the worth nowadays?

MikeDuke
06-20-2019, 06:27 AM
Wow. That 999 is signed by King? I think that's rare because I was under the impression he did not sign that book. I think that's around the time he had his accident and was not able to sign the book.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/php7wbDk0AM.jpg?3125

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 06:29 AM
I can't find ONE FOR THE ROAD (either edition) for sale. Any idea of the worth nowadays?

I sold 5 copies last month. $250 x 4 and 1 x $300. They all including shipping to US and Canada.

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 06:30 AM
I do have a question for everyone. I know a few collectors have them... I just acquired one. Its the Dali picture from Don Quixote. I guess King signed these... anyone know how many?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190620/6377e96bc3e708627d4904f1e3df6802.jpg

BACK to my question before Alan tried to trick us all! ANYONE have info on how many King signed and why? Bob Jackson is unsure as well as a few others I asked. ANy help would be great!

WeDealInLead
06-20-2019, 06:44 AM
Is there proof that's not a forgery? I'm trying to figure out why would King even sign it.

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 06:46 AM
Is there proof that's not a forgery? I'm trying to figure out why would King even sign it.

I know a few collectors that have a copy. I feel pretty solid in my knowledge and I do not believe this is fake. I asked others too. It is a bookplate too FYI

MikeDuke
06-20-2019, 06:47 AM
Kris, I contacted my guy who I buy my Dali stuff from. No promises, but maybe he knows or can find out.

MikeDuke
06-20-2019, 07:41 AM
Kris, this what the guy said who I buy my lithos from. Take it for what it's worth.
"It should be collectible as a King, but appears to be a reprint of a Dali. If you can buy it right, it definitely looks very cool !"
So that's what he thinks. Just a little more info you.

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Kris, this what the guy said who I buy my lithos from. Take it for what it's worth.
"It should be collectible as a King, but appears to be a reprint of a Dali. If you can buy it right, it definitely looks very cool !"
So that's what he thinks. Just a little more info you.

Thanks Mike. I am hoping for more insight on anyone that knows why he signed them. I know of at least 4 besides mine in other collectors hands. Just not sure why. Mine was in a 1st of Cujo, I think Bob's was in a Talisman... not the same books either.

Garrell
06-20-2019, 08:01 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190620/9ee9aea670b0ef40efe1fff9cfed35a2.jpg
Thoughts?

kingfan2323
06-20-2019, 08:02 AM
Is Dark Forces S/L not in the catalog? I have been known to be short sighted....Maybe I am not the only dummy here so I will ask. . . What is "the catalog" being referred to?

The Library Policeman
06-20-2019, 08:12 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190620/9ee9aea670b0ef40efe1fff9cfed35a2.jpg
Thoughts?

No likey.

MikeDuke
06-20-2019, 08:32 AM
The why, I don't know if my guy knows that. I would only guess that the character of Don Quixote was a man who has read so many books he decides to become is a Knight and he swore to protect the innocent and slay the wicked. Does that sound like a story and character in King's books?
Just a random guess on my part. Maybe King though the character had similar traits to Roland an maybe he was a little inspired by that story. Just a thought. By no means the definitive answer.

Randall Flagg
06-20-2019, 08:39 AM
I too have one of the signed bookplates with Quiote on it.
The plates and signatures are legit.

Randall Flagg
06-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Is Dark Forces S/L not in the catalog? I have been known to be short sighted....Maybe I am not the only dummy here so I will ask. . . What is "the catalog" being referred to?

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=imagelimit2

stroppygoblin
06-20-2019, 08:40 AM

:catalogfriend:

'The Catalog' is a reference on this site. It actually covers all of the Wiki entries which can be found here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php ...

...but mainly refers to this particular one: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Test+Thread

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Nice. David at Betts has one too he said. Many more around that I thought. I’ll keep it as it’s pretty cool. Yours in a book RF?

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 08:47 AM

'The Catalog' is a reference on this site. It actually covers all of the Wiki entries which can be found here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php ...

...but mainly refers to this particular one: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Test+Thread

That quick links is very cool. Thanks for posting the link Simon

stroppygoblin
06-20-2019, 08:49 AM

It's actually always available from the Button at the top of the site page. Look for 'Wiki' (between the 'Forum' and 'What's new' buttons)

webstar1000
06-20-2019, 08:50 AM

It's actually always available from the Button at the top of the site page. Look for 'Wiki' (between the 'Forum' and 'What's new' buttons)

Oh man, you have saved me so much time lol

kingfan2323
06-20-2019, 08:52 AM

...but mainly refers to this particular one: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Test+ThreadAwww. . . The section that has helped me immensely and I have referred to 6 million times! Invaluable. Thanks!

amd013
06-20-2019, 11:15 AM

Just curious if all the known books with one of these plates are from different titles. Could it be possible these were all part of one collection at one time from someone who preferred King sign on this bookplate?

Randall Flagg
06-20-2019, 11:19 AM
They are in books by King, and in books about King. For all I know, they could be in anthologies, cookbooks, most anything King related.

wizardsrainbow
06-20-2019, 02:37 PM
i own a UK Skeleton Crew with this bookplate.

tippy4
06-26-2019, 07:31 PM
Can somebody with good measuring skills help me out?

How deep is the 2007 Best American Short Stories?

Is it 140mm or 141mm?

Thanks