PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Collecting Questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

webstar1000
10-31-2013, 03:45 AM
I will take a picture of my collection tonight and post it for all to see. I have been collecting since 1991. I looked back and realized my mistake... I meant to say I want a Gunslinger signed... as I have an "Uncomplete-able" set. My bad... look me up on facebook to see who I am. Kris Webster, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. It is me in a Superman costume. I do not know how much more I can convince ya.... I really want to get more into the S/L part of collecting since scoring this set.... The reason I asked how much it was worth was to see if I paid the right amount for it. I paid $3800. The set is mint as you can.. other than the Gunslinger is a 8.5 in my eyes as there is slight yellowing and a crinkle to the bottom of the dj on the spine... Anyways... hope I find my books and people actually keep me in mind.. not that I am a scammer. thanks

webstar1000
10-31-2013, 03:46 AM
Thanks Sandman!!!

Randall Flagg
10-31-2013, 05:37 AM
$525 sounds right to me, but hopefully someone else will estimate.

carlosdetweiller
10-31-2013, 06:11 AM
So would you estimate them in mint condition (both of them + proofs in mint) to be around 525? I am looking into buying these three items but not sure of the price to go at them with.

I know of the red and black folder variants but am confused by what constitutes the third item. Is there a proof for this portfolio? If so, what are the specifics?

namelessnpoor
10-31-2013, 06:58 AM
Can anyone who has a copy of Danse Macabre S/L, tell me the dimensions of the book?
height, width, length.
thanks

biomieg
10-31-2013, 07:23 AM
They should be the same as the trade edition. The text block is identical if I'm not mistaken (just like the Cujo trade and S/L editions). Obvious differences between the Danse Macabre trade and S/L editions (including the publisher's copies) are that the edge of the text block is dark red, the copyright page states 'first edition' instead of RRD281, and the boards of the book are black, rather than red.

But I believe the size is the same.

namelessnpoor
10-31-2013, 07:55 AM
i thought they were the same, but I am not home and won't be for a while to measure it, was hoping maybe someone else was home and could measure it up.
If nbot i will be doing it later today !
thanks

Shannon
10-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Well, we'll see ... but until then, good luck and have fun! Here you go:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Index+Quick+Links

webstar1000
10-31-2013, 10:02 AM
I was there looking already. What a great list... too bad it did not go higher... haha

EXPLORER
10-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Can anyone who has a copy of Danse Macabre S/L, tell me the dimensions of the book?
height, width, length.
thanks

Danse Macabre S/L Book: 9 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches
Danse Macabre S/L Slipcase 9 7/8 x 1 5/8 x 6 3/4 inches

Randall Flagg
10-31-2013, 12:27 PM
So would you estimate them in mint condition (both of them + proofs in mint) to be around 525? I am looking into buying these three items but not sure of the price to go at them with.

I know of the red and black folder variants but am confused by what constitutes the third item. Is there a proof for this portfolio? If so, what are the specifics?
KIngfan24 can answer for sure, but I interpreted (and price estimated) that he meant one of the ~7-10 original art pieces Phil Hale did.
If my interpretation was wrong, I rescind my estimate:confused:

Shannon
10-31-2013, 01:20 PM
You said you're interested in S/Ls, well that is the definitive list with all the information you could want. Good luck.

Merlin1958
10-31-2013, 08:11 PM
I will take a picture of my collection tonight and post it for all to see. I have been collecting since 1991. I looked back and realized my mistake... I meant to say I want a Gunslinger signed... as I have an "Uncomplete-able" set. My bad... look me up on facebook to see who I am. Kris Webster, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. It is me in a Superman costume. I do not know how much more I can convince ya.... I really want to get more into the S/L part of collecting since scoring this set.... The reason I asked how much it was worth was to see if I paid the right amount for it. I paid $3800. The set is mint as you can.. other than the Gunslinger is a 8.5 in my eyes as there is slight yellowing and a crinkle to the bottom of the dj on the spine... Anyways... hope I find my books and people actually keep me in mind.. not that I am a scammer. thanks

Thanks Sandman!!!

I was there looking already. What a great list... too bad it did not go higher... haha

You are welcome, Dude. Just realize that we here are a very tight knit community and, Shannon, though my internet son, has only recently attained universal acceptance. Most of us are trusted friends and know we can rely on one another. It takes time, as with all things. You will find this to be a rather unique and giving community, which brings me to the Haven Fund. Each year the site conducts a fundraisier for SK's "The Haven Fund". Wonderful and unique items will be offered for sale for it's benefit and donations solicited. Please join in!!!

Reputation is everything here. For example, I am a reputed PITA!!! LOL LOL LOL

webstar1000
11-01-2013, 03:21 AM

webstar1000
11-01-2013, 03:31 AM
I also have two questions as I am learning this site... do you guys only collect numbers that all match in your collection or not? Also if someone responds to my post and I have been exploring this site for days now... how do I know someone got back to me? I see it says unread posts and how many... but there is threads that I have not had a chance to look over or comment on. Thanks for all your help guys and let me know about the Haven thing:) kris

Merlin1958
11-02-2013, 05:43 PM

I also have two questions as I am learning this site... do you guys only collect numbers that all match in your collection or not? Also if someone responds to my post and I have been exploring this site for days now... how do I know someone got back to me? I see it says unread posts and how many... but there is threads that I have not had a chance to look over or comment on. Thanks for all your help guys and let me know about the Haven thing:) kris

The "Haven Fund Raiser" starts in January of each year and ends on 5/19 every year, there will be tons of really cool items up for auction and you can make "direct" donations for entries for the "Grand Prize". It's fun and for charity. Some of us do try to "match numbers", but that is by preference. Welcome to the site!!! Visit the "Collections" in the meantime and post one of your own!!

Check out the "Donation Wall" here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/

webstar1000
11-03-2013, 09:13 AM
That sounds great! I seem the IT book that was won. That is great and I will participate for sure. Is there anywhere else you would look if you were trying to find a certain book or just be patient here? Thanks!

Kingfan24
11-03-2013, 09:24 AM

KIngfan24 can answer for sure, but I interpreted (and price estimated) that he meant one of the ~7-10 original art pieces Phil Hale did.
If my interpretation was wrong, I rescind my estimate:confused:

The proof consists of the prints with hand corrections and notes on each print that was included. I will post pictures once I have the set.

namelessnpoor
11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Can anyone who has has a copy of Danse Macabre S/L, tell me the dimensions of the book?
height, width, length.
thanks

Danse Macabre S/L Book: 9 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches
Danse Macabre S/L Slipcase 9 7/8 x 1 5/8 x 6 3/4 inches
Thanks Explorer

Dan
11-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I purchased a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula by Easton Press today. The copyright says 1965, but I'm not sure that The a Easton Press has been around that long. Does anyone know when they started publishing books? Any ideas specifically about this issue? It is different from the version that is currently being offered on their website. I will get a photo up later in my collections thread.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-04-2013, 04:00 PM
The Easton Press site states they have been in business nearly 3 decades.

webstar1000
11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
How many Cycle of the Werewolf limited's were there?

Jimimck
11-04-2013, 04:45 PM
350 COTW signed limiteds.

Dan
11-04-2013, 04:48 PM
The Easton Press site states they have been in business nearly 3 decades.

Thanks! That is what I have found also which indicates that they were not in business yet in 1965.

SirFolio16
11-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Would someone who has the Cemetery Dance 25th Anniversary Signed Limited of IT please let me know what the exact measurements are? I want to place an order for a custom tray case from Dolso, but I don't trust my measurements so I want to confirm them against someone else's.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Ray

carlosdetweiller
11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I purchased a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula by Easton Press today. The copyright says 1965, but I'm not sure that The a Easton Press has been around that long. Does anyone know when they started publishing books? Any ideas specifically about this issue? It is different from the version that is currently being offered on their website. I will get a photo up later in my collections thread.

In 1965 editions of Dracula with illustrations (wood engravings) by Felix Hoffman were published by The Limited Editions Club (kind of pricey) and The Heritage Press (less expensive edition). The current Easton editions use these same illustrations by Hoffman in addition to some other illustrations. I think that the copyright date of 1965 refers to the Hoffman illustrations. There are other copyright dates also listed in my copies.....1993 and 2005....I think these are for the introduction and publisher's preface.

Scoogs
11-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Good point Bob.
A few months ago I started designing my own edition of Dracula and did a little research. (I rarely get to design or layout anything of book length at work)

The text of Dracula itself is public domain and due to an error on Bram Stoker's part, has always been that way.
In other words, the story itself was never actually protected under US copyright laws.

Dan
11-04-2013, 06:52 PM

In 1965 editions of Dracula with illustrations (wood engravings) by Felix Hoffman were published by The Limited Editions Club (kind of pricey) and The Heritage Press (less expensive edition). The current Easton editions use these same illustrations by Hoffman in addition to some other illustrations. I think that the copyright date of 1965 refers to the Hoffman illustrations. There are other copyright dates also listed in my copies.....1993 and 2005....I think these are for the introduction and publisher's preface.

Thanks, it makes sense. I guess I will just keep digging around until I find more info about the actual publication date. The 2005 edition looks different, but there is a 1995, I believe, that looks like mine.

Lurker
11-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know when they started publishing books?

"MBI launched the Easton Press in 1975. The first product offering was The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written, a series of exquisite, leather-bound editions of literary classics."

http://www.mbi-inc.com/history.asp

Dan
11-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Does anyone know when they started publishing books?

"MBI launched the Easton Press in 1975. The first product offering was The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written, a series of exquisite, leather-bound editions of literary classics."

http://www.mbi-inc.com/history.asp

Thanks! That was the info I was looking for.

Randall Flagg
11-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Would someone who has the Cemetery Dance 25th Anniversary Signed Limited of IT please let me know what the exact measurements are? I want to place an order for a custom tray case from Dolso, but I don't trust my measurements so I want to confirm them against someone else's.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Ray
Just the book? Not the traycase?

SirFolio16
11-05-2013, 08:46 AM
I just need the book measurements... I want to replace the case with a nice custom Dolso case.

webstar1000
11-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Where can you get these Dolso cases? thanks!

ELazansky
11-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Where can you get these Dolso cases? thanks!

https://www.bookslipcase.com

biomieg
11-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Dolso is also a member here.

webstar1000
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
His cases are sick!!!!!! Expensive but top notch quality!

SirFolio16
11-05-2013, 11:38 AM
They are def. worth every penny spent!!!

Randall Flagg
11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
I just need the book measurements... I want to replace the case with a nice custom Dolso case.
You might want to contact dt.org member Brian James Freeman-He of Cemetery Dance. I would guess since they ordered 100's of traycases they have the measurement.

SirFolio16
11-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Thank you

Merlin1958
11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
You might want to contact dt.org member Brian James Freeman-He of Cemetery Dance. I would guess since they ordered 100's of traycases they have the measurement.

Good call, RF. You may also try "Bad Penny" as I am pretty sure he bought a remarqued copy during the Haven Fund two years ago.

webstar1000
11-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Here is a question guys... what do you think of a price for Insomnia S/L around $300 bucks in Fine condition? It is not my number but I am thinking grab it as it seems like a great price and have it to trade if my number ever came up??? thoughts?

Randall Flagg
11-06-2013, 06:28 AM
$300 is a good price. $250 would be a great price.

bdwyer19
11-06-2013, 06:34 AM
Here is a question guys... what do you think of a price for Insomnia S/L around $300 bucks in Fine condition? It is not my number but I am thinking grab it as it seems like a great price and have it to trade if my number ever came up??? thoughts?

Betts typically has Insomnia for $275-300.

AKC
11-06-2013, 07:43 AM

$300 is a good, good price......pick it up!

webstar1000
11-06-2013, 07:44 AM

I have seen that.... but they do not last. I find his prices to be excellent for the majority of his stuff.

Randall Flagg
11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't know if CD answered, but my measurement is: 10 5/16" x 7 3/4" x 2 15/16"

SirFolio16
11-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Thank you. That's really close to my measurements. And as it turns out Dick has a copy he can use for sizing.

Kingfan24
11-07-2013, 12:22 PM
what kind of value would you guys put on the cycle of the werewolf S/L Portfolio?

divemaster
11-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Nick, Nick, Nick. Don't you go spending your money on other books, now. :)

Kingfan24
11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
LOL i'm not - I was just curious as you never see them come up for sale - I have pretty much all of the other portfolios and was just curious

Ben Eads
11-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks in advance!

I'm the proud new owner of a copy of the SNL IT published by Cemetery Dance, and I have a concern.

I placed a Brodart archival-quality Dust jacket protector on the dust jacket of the book. I did this so if I want to gaze upon the beauty of the book, I can without worry of harming the dust jacket. However, once I placed the dust jacket protector on the book, I noticed that the tray case does not close all of the way. It is almost a quarter inch gap.

Am I harming the tray case in any way? Do I need to separate the book from the tray case? Or is it okay to keep them just as they are?

I have the book in the tray case which is in a Brodart archival bag. I placed it back into the box it came in with and added styrofoam peanuts. So the book is laying flat-down.

As you guys can tell--LOL--I try to keep my books in the best condition possible.

Again, many thanks for any insight you guys may have!

ELazansky
11-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Thanks in advance!

I'm the proud new owner of a copy of the SNL IT published by Cemetery Dance, and I have a concern.

I placed a Brodart archival-quality Dust jacket protector on the dust jacket of the book. I did this so if I want to gaze upon the beauty of the book, I can without worry of harming the dust jacket. However, once I placed the dust jacket protector on the book, I noticed that the tray case does not close all of the way. It is almost a quarter inch gap.

Am I harming the tray case in any way? Do I need to separate the book from the tray case? Or is it okay to keep them just as they are?

I have the book in the tray case which is in a Brodart archival bag. I placed it back into the box it came in with and added styrofoam peanuts. So the book is laying flat-down.

As you guys can tell--LOL--I try to keep my books in the best condition possible.

Any books that I have in traycases do not have Brodart covers on them. The case is designed to fit the book perfectly, so adding the Brodart makes it too thick. I think the traycase protects the book just fine without the Brodart.

jhanic
11-08-2013, 04:53 AM
My gut feel is that you could damage the traycase if there's gap and something happened that would press it down. I would take off the Brodart dust jacket protector.

John

Br!an
11-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Thanks in advance!

Any books that I have in traycases do not have Brodart covers on them. The case is designed to fit the book perfectly, so adding the Brodart makes it too thick. I think the traycase protects the book just fine without the Brodart.

My gut feel is that you could damage the traycase if there's gap and something happened that would press it down. I would take off the Brodart dust jacket protector.

John

The traycase cover being closed offers more protection than a Brodart cover and an open traycase. If the traycase doesn't close properly and it gets forced closed then you risk damaging the traycase hinge or board. I wouldn't bother with the Brodart cover in this case especially since the whole thing is in an archival bag.

Ben Eads
11-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks, Elazansky, Jhanic and Brian!

I took the dust jacket protector off and it fits just fine. When I noticed it didn't want to close all of the way yesterday, I removed it. The last thing I want is damage! LOL

Again, thanks guys! The tray case will do the job just fine. ;)

Earth's Militant Mind
11-08-2013, 10:06 AM
A few years back I picked up this cats skull that was supposedly a prop in the movie Pet Cemetery. Got it much cheaper than the 1st item, which was a dog skull also signed. I tend to think the item is legit as the signature looks good to me. So a few questions:

Thoughts on the signature and legitimacy of the item?

Any one here the owner of the dog skull or know who is?

Value of the item if you think its legit?

you can see a bigger version of the photo in the gallery - http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5451&title=possible-movie-prop-signed&cat=625

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/625/medium/Possible_Movie_Prop_Signed.JPG

Merlin1958
11-08-2013, 01:43 PM
A few years back I picked up this cats skull that was supposedly a prop in the movie Pet Cemetery. Got it much cheaper than the 1st item, which was a dog skull also signed. I tend to think the item is legit as the signature looks good to me. So a few questions:

you can see a bigger version of the photo in the gallery - http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5451&title=possible-movie-prop-signed&cat=625

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/625/medium/Possible_Movie_Prop_Signed.JPG

Question, you're not married are you? LOL LOL Cause if you are, my hat is off to your wife!!!! LOL

Br!an
11-08-2013, 02:04 PM

That's a better looking signature than I've seen on some books.

If the signature is good then I think it would almost have to have been a prop. I doubt SK went around signing just any cat's skull.

As far as value goes I have no idea. This would be a niche market. A rare item if real though.

Earth's Militant Mind
11-08-2013, 05:57 PM

Question, you're not married are you? LOL LOL Cause if you are, my hat is off to your wife!!!! LOL

Married and she is awesome, it is a little gruesome but goes well where I have it. Certain portion of my office with the few things I will never part with this, letters from hell, and the DT set of first editions.

Priest
11-09-2013, 02:40 AM
hahaha i had this on my watch list - this hast to be alt least 5 years ago , hum ?
nice to see that i is in good hands :D

Earth's Militant Mind
11-09-2013, 07:50 AM
hahaha i had this on my watch list - this hast to be alt least 5 years ago , hum ?
nice to see that i is in good hands :D

Yep begining of 2008, somewhere around the same time of the King DC event. Wondering if someone here has the dog head though.

stroppygoblin
11-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi All, I recently posted this on The Collector forum, but I'd appreciate your valued opinion on this as I could return the book if there is an issue.

I recently bought a signed Misery 1st/1st. On receipt of the book I checked it against another copy of Misery that I have which I believe to be a genuine 1st/1st. Problem is they are different....

The new signed one has WHITE end papers and is printed by R.R Donelley and Sons, Harrisonburg Virginia
My other copy has RED end papers and is printed by Arcata Graphics, Fairfield Penslyvania.

I am aware that in some cases different printers can be used for 1st editions, however what really sets my alarm bells ringing is that the signed Misery references 'Book of the Month'' ....

Both have 1st/1st dust Jackets.

I have attached images below - I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm if one of these is NOT a 1st/1st.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/photo2_zpsfd726a58.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/photo2_zpsfd726a58.jpg.html)

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/photo1_zps143fe86d.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/photo1_zps143fe86d.jpg.html)

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/photo3_zps5a809642.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/photo3_zps5a809642.jpg.html)

Merlin1958
11-09-2013, 03:08 PM
The one that says "BOMC" is not a true 1/1. The other appears to be the real deal. Though you do appear to have two 1/1 DJ's as well..

The one that's signed is not the BOMC one, right? I hope!!!

Randall Flagg
11-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Both DJ's are 1st editions. IMO, the book is not a 1st edition. It is a BOMC married to a 1st DJ.
Legit inscription, legit signature; but the book itself is not a 1st edition.

stroppygoblin
11-09-2013, 04:49 PM
The one that says "BOMC" is not a true 1/1. The other appears to be the real deal. Though you do appear to have two 1/1 DJ's as well..

nope its the BOMC one - that's what I was afraid of. Ok this sucker is going back from whence it came....

Thanks guys - appreciated.

Merlin1958
11-09-2013, 04:51 PM

nope its the BOMC one - that's what I was afraid of. Ok this sucker is going back from whence it came....

Thanks guys - appreciated.

Damn!! I don't know what you paid for it, but a "King Sig" is still valuable. All depends on what you paid. You may want to just ask for a partial refund. I'm just saying.....

Ben Eads
11-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Does anyone know if someone has posted pics of the art from Stephen King's 25 anniversary edition of IT?

I checked Cemetery Dance's site but couldn't find all 29 of them. I checked the art section here and couldn't find any, either. I like having digital copies, and I also like them on my computer's desktop. ;)

I've searched all over the internet as well.

Again, thanks!

namelessnpoor
11-10-2013, 03:15 AM
What would you all say are fair / easy sell prices for the following :
Joyland s/l
Dark man s/l
Dark man portfolio
UK DT4 s/l
Dr Sleep gift edition
Dr Sleep s/l

And is anyone interested in any of the following?

Randall Flagg
11-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Does anyone know if someone has posted pics of the art from Stephen King's 25 anniversary edition of IT?

I checked Cemetery Dance's site but couldn't find all 29 of them. I checked the art section here and couldn't find any, either. I like having digital copies, and I also like them on my computer's desktop. ;)

I've searched all over the internet as well.

Again, thanks!
We have 14 interior shots here in the art area:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?13076-IT-Alan-Clark-Erin-Wells-amp-Glen-Orbik

Even the Portfolio only has 14 images plus the sig page.

EDIT: Going to open portfolio and confirm.

Randall Flagg
11-10-2013, 07:32 AM
There are 29+ images.
I suggest you contact CD, unless you have the portfolio-then you could scan the images.

Ben Eads
11-10-2013, 08:14 AM
There are 29+ images.
I suggest you contact CD, unless you have the portfolio-then you could scan the images.

Thanks, RF! I deeply appreciate it!

RC65
11-11-2013, 07:48 AM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/photo1_zps143fe86d.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/photo1_zps143fe86d.jpg.html)

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/photo3_zps5a809642.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/photo3_zps5a809642.jpg.html)

Just to throw in another voice of confirmation, that second photo is definitely a bookclub edition...you can tell simply by the poor print quality and the translucence of the paper (compare that against the sharp print quality and comparative opaqueness of the first photo). Would be interesting to know if the married 1st dj was placed on there by the prior owner for some sort of personal/collector enhancement, or by the current seller (presuming they are not one and the same) to deceive.

stroppygoblin
11-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks all - appreciate your knowledgeable input. I paid far too much for this to accept a BOMC edition - signed or otherwise. I have contacted the seller and have asked for a refund.

bdwyer19
11-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks all - appreciate your knowledgeable input. I paid far too much for this to accept a BOMC edition - signed or otherwise. I have contacted the seller and have asked for a refund.

Good luck!!

Randall Flagg
11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
If there is trouble, please post here. No need to mention the seller yet, but if they hesitate or deny a refund, the community should know.

stroppygoblin
11-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks Jerome, The seller states a 60 day no quibble guarantee, but I will certainly name and shame if there are issues!

Update: I'm happy to inform you all that the seller takes full responsibility for the error and is providing a full refund on return of the book, including covering return postage charges!

Thanks everyone again for your informed input :clap:

CyberGhostface
11-12-2013, 01:03 PM
J/w I'm getting a spare dust jacket for a LE as the original came in dinged... should I laminate it for protection?

jhanic
11-12-2013, 01:09 PM
I think laminating a dust jacket would diminish its value significantly. I wouldn't buy a book with one. Why not use a Brodart cover instead?

John

webstar1000
11-12-2013, 03:38 PM
What would you guys say is a good deal for a s/l Six Stories? In the market soon....

Joe315
11-12-2013, 03:39 PM
J/w I'm getting a spare dust jacket for a LE as the original came in dinged... should I laminate it for protection?

I think laminating a dust jacket would diminish its value significantly. I wouldn't buy a book with one. Why not use a Brodart cover instead?

John

I agree. Don't laminate it. A Brodart cover will do the trick.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-12-2013, 06:09 PM
What would you guys say is a good deal for a s/l Six Stories? In the market soon....

Cheepest fine copy at Betts was #505, which sold for $500

Randall Flagg
11-12-2013, 06:12 PM

Cheepest fine copy at Betts was #505, which sold for $500
So expect to pay more.

webstar1000
11-12-2013, 06:52 PM
That's what I wanna spend max... Anyone have one and want some cash quick Let me know! Thanks guys!

webstar1000
11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Another question for you fine fellows... I love the art shown in Knowing Darkness.... Anyone have a copy they want to sell cheap? Thanks!

Kingfan24
11-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Depends on which version you want - the signed version will run you anywhere from 800-1000 I think. The unsigned a lot less

CyberGhostface
11-12-2013, 08:19 PM

John

Thanks! :)

Joe315
11-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Another question for you fine fellows... I love the art shown in Knowing Darkness.... Anyone have a copy they want to sell cheap? Thanks!

Not sure what your looking to spend but the publisher (centipede press) may have some dinged copies for half price.

Joe315
11-12-2013, 10:15 PM

John

Thanks! :)

You're welcome.

webstar1000
11-13-2013, 05:10 AM

Not sure what your looking to spend but the publisher (centipede press) may have some dinged copies for half price.

What was the cover price?

jhanic
11-13-2013, 05:20 AM

Price (including shipping) for the slipcased version was $210. For the traycased version $820. There were 1500 copies of the slipcased version and 300 of the traycased.

John

webstar1000
11-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Price (including shipping) for the slipcased version was $210. For the traycased version $820. There were 1500 copies of the slipcased version and 300 of the traycased.

John

Thanks John... do you have one? Is the book as nice a quality as they say?

Bev Vincent
11-13-2013, 06:58 AM
I bought one of the "dinged" copies (I can't find the ding anywhere) -- it is a gorgeous book. The artwork is "larger than life" in some instances -- bigger than the versions that appeared in the books.

jhanic
11-13-2013, 07:14 AM

John

I have one of each and they are fantastic! And EXTREMELY heavy. I have #80 of the 300. I've not taken the traycased version out of the box since I first got it. I don't think there's a good way to display it because of its size and weight. The slipcased edition, while still heavy and large, is easier to display,

John

webstar1000
11-13-2013, 08:33 AM

John

I have one of each and they are fantastic! And EXTREMELY heavy. I have #80 of the 300. I've not taken the traycased version out of the box since I first got it. I don't think there's a good way to display it because of its size and weight. The slipcased edition, while still heavy and large, is easier to display,

John

Should I go for the better one? Meaning hold out?

RC65
11-13-2013, 09:12 AM
This week's Centipede newsletter offers scratch-and-dented slipcased copies of KNOWING DARKNESS for $150. And, yes, it's worth it. Btw, it's typically impossible to see what dings qualify his books for scratch and dent status, so buy with confidence.

webstar1000
11-13-2013, 09:17 AM
This week's Centipede newsletter offers scratch-and-dented slipcased copies of KNOWING DARKNESS for $150. And, yes, it's worth it. Btw, it's typically impossible to see what dings qualify his books for scratch and dent status, so buy with confidence.

I cannot for the life of me get into their website... I had a guy offer me his copy (pending pics) for a hundred.... I will surely wait and see that first. I like the idea of the signed one too.... :)

RC65
11-13-2013, 09:30 AM

I cannot for the life of me get into their website... I had a guy offer me his copy (pending pics) for a hundred.... I will surely wait and see that first. I like the idea of the signed one too.... :)

Here you go:

http://www.centipedepress.com/scratchanddents.html

Keep in mind Centipede only charges $5 for shipping (and I assume the same policy would hold for this very large and heavy book). If your other seller charges a lot for shipping, the difference between used and new might actually not be that much.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-13-2013, 09:36 AM

John

What was the publish price of the 1 of 50 that came with the Whelan original? Anyone remember? I just looked at my notes and forgot to place my cost in bookcollectorz.com

Ralph Mulleins

RC65
11-13-2013, 09:39 AM
I thought the slipcased edition was originally $295...?

Fsmdr
11-13-2013, 09:47 AM

John

What was the publish price of the 1 of 50 that came with the Whelan original? Anyone remember? I just looked at my notes and forgot to place my cost in bookcollectorz.com

Ralph Mulleins

according to my notes, Publisher's price was $1295

jhanic
11-13-2013, 12:48 PM
I thought the slipcased edition was originally $295...?

I paid $210 that included shipping. Maybe I got an introductory price or something.

John

jhanic
11-13-2013, 12:50 PM

John

John

Only if you're prepared to spend about $1000 or so. I personally think it's worth it, even if it's not signed by King, but that's just me.

John

Dan
11-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have a slipcase for their Fantasy & Science Fiction set of The Gunslinger books? I want to see some photos and maybe who sells something to properly display these. Maybe Dolso or another option.

Kingfan24
11-13-2013, 03:52 PM

John

John

Only if you're prepared to spend about $1000 or so. I personally think it's worth it, even if it's not signed by King, but that's just me.

John

Totally worth it - I may even consider it the P&J of my collection. I also have all of the prints.

webstar1000
11-13-2013, 05:40 PM
How does it work on here if you make a deal with someone and they sell it out from under you for a mere 20 bucks more? Is it just me or does that just seem like a shitty thing to do.... ???

Randall Flagg
11-13-2013, 05:42 PM
How does it work on here if you make a deal with someone and they sell it out from under you for a mere 20 bucks more? Is it just me or does that just seem like a shitty thing to do.... ???
Would need more details about the transaction and timing (you can omit the person's name).

Randall Flagg
11-13-2013, 05:44 PM
It's an honor system.
An honorable member sticks with the price they committed to as a buyer, and an honorable seller does so too.
*Small print-
Both parties should have committed to terms in advance. If there is a dispute I am happy to be the ultimate arbiter.

AKC
11-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Try to work it out via PM. If you can't, leave the appropriate feedback towards their rating. If you are compelled, let us know about it but would hope it could be worked out behind the scenes.

On the surface (obviously unaware of the specifics) that type of behavior is not a reflection of the community as a whole.

I'll defer to Jerome to weigh in since it's his show to run....

webstar1000
11-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys. Just wondering... I need to review my emails back in forth in the AM to make a totally informed decision. Thanks for your feedback... Just sucks this is my first transaction off here:(:(:(

Bad Penny
11-14-2013, 01:17 AM
Does anyone have a slipcase for their Fantasy & Science Fiction set of The Gunslinger books? I want to see some photos and maybe who sells something to properly display these. Maybe Dolso or another option.

Here ya go Dan - this is the one that Dolso did for me :smile:

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Dolso%20Cases/DT2.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Dolso%20Cases/DT4.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Dolso%20Cases/DT3.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Dolso%20Cases/DT1.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Wow, that's a great slipcase!

Dan
11-14-2013, 05:40 AM
That is it! That is what I need.

bdwyer19
11-14-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm also strongly considering picking up a copy of the slipcased Knowing Darkness. Can someone please post pictures of how they have it displayed in their bookcase? The size and weight is intimidating me.

biomieg
11-14-2013, 11:17 AM
I have the slipcased edition placed upright on top of one of my bookcases. It's a big and heavy book but not extremely so (at least not as huge as the traycased edition). Quick pic:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1384456552-bookshelf.JPG

jhanic
11-14-2013, 11:31 AM
I read somewhere that the traycased version weighs in at about 35 pounds.

John

RC65
11-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Mine is also atop one of my bookcases, next to the DT volumes:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i341/at-home-daddy/IMG_1092_zps0b5f7102.jpg

bdwyer19
11-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I know my wife won't like the book sitting on top of the case, so hopefully I can find the room on a shelf, and then order one.

biomieg
11-14-2013, 01:28 PM
My wife does not mind, as long as I don't have the 'Desperation' side of the slipcase facing out (which would have been my preference).

http://missionsunknown.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DSCN8455.jpg

bdwyer19
11-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Ha! I actually should put the book on top of the case. On an adjacent case with travel books, maps, etc. my wife put big letters on top that spelled out EXPLORE. I told her I wanted to have letters on my case that spelled REDRUM. All I got back was an eye roll. Having Knowing Darkness there would look much better in comparison :)

biomieg
11-14-2013, 01:43 PM
You should totally do that (if only just for 'shit & giggles', as some of my American friends here would say ;))

webstar1000
11-14-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm also strongly considering picking up a copy of the slipcased Knowing Darkness. Can someone please post pictures of how they have it displayed in their bookcase? The size and weight is intimidating me.

I just got one and gotta say it is beautiful as I am sure everyone here will tell you.

RC65
11-14-2013, 04:17 PM
You can do what I did, and just hide the creepy face behind other books (see above pic). I actually didn't do it intentionally or because of my wife's sensitivities, but it does do the job for those who get creeped out easily.

webstar1000
11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
My wife does not mind, as long as I don't have the 'Desperation' side of the slipcase facing out (which would have been my preference).

Lol that's awesome

webstar1000
11-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Lol that's awesome

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Here's the corner of my library where I managed to fit my 'dinged' (no ding apparent that I can find) copy of KNOWING DARKNESS. Long shot and close-up:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/KD1.jpg

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/KD2.jpg

Merlin1958
11-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Awesome library!!!

Robert Fulman
11-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Here's a slipcase I made for the five F&SF Gunslinger magazines. Unfortunately, I messed up and made it just a bit too short to actually hold the magazines. Oh, well...

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag74/Robert_Fulman/null_zpscab8ee3a.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
11-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Very cool! I like that.

Mulleins

Merlin1958
11-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Here's a slipcase I made for the five F&SF Gunslinger magazines. Unfortunately, I messed up and made it just a bit too short to actually hold the magazines. Oh, well...

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag74/Robert_Fulman/null_zpscab8ee3a.jpg

Nice job!! I like it too. Maybe, Dick can help out? It's worth asking IMHO you did a real nice job. He may have a way to save it.

Dolso
11-15-2013, 09:15 AM
One of my bookcases was so overstuffed that it started falling apart at the seams. I completely unloaded it to do the repairs and of course found some items that I didn't even remember I had -- I hadn't looked at some of them since I obtained them (if I even looked then.) I found this letter (I'm certain it's a copy) that was included when I bought the Centipede edition of Salem's Lot.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/King_Letter_to_Jerad_Walters_doc.jpg

It's probably been discussed and answered here many times before but from what I understand, King has an almost legendary dislike of Jerad's edition - so what changed his mind from the writing of this letter to the comments made against the book?

Dolso
11-15-2013, 09:24 AM
I noticed the questions about displaying Jerad's Knowing Darkness. This is the case that almost made me a one-handed Dick so there won't be anymore made but here's a couple shots of it...

A Gloss Black Table top...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Ken_S.JPG

A stained wall hung case...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/KD_Wall_Display_50_.JPG

More of a dedicated shelf than a case but this one I WILL still make if anyone is interested -- you still need enough wall space to hang it.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/long_display_KD_3_50_.JPG

Randall Flagg
11-15-2013, 12:03 PM
This should give an idea of the size of the traycased version:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1368721677-TN%20&%20Knowing%20darkness.jpg

jhanic
11-15-2013, 12:04 PM
One of my bookcases was so overstuffed that it started falling apart at the seams. I completely unloaded it to do the repairs and of course found some items that I didn't even remember I had -- I hadn't looked at some of them since I obtained them (if I even looked then.) I found this letter (I'm certain it's a copy) that was included when I bought the Centipede edition of Salem's Lot.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/King_Letter_to_Jerad_Walters_doc.jpg

It's probably been discussed and answered here many times before but from what I understand, King has an almost legendary dislike of Jerad's edition - so what changed his mind from the writing of this letter to the comments made against the book?

Very, very interesting. I wonder what changed King's attitude.

John

bdwyer19
11-15-2013, 12:08 PM
This should give an idea of the size of the traycased version:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1368721677-TN%20&%20Knowing%20darkness.jpg

WOW!!

Room 217 Caretaker
11-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Oh yes....it is a big book. When I allow visits to Room 217 that seems to be the first thing people notice. I show mine off in a fantastic case made by our own artist, Dolso:

(this is one of 50 that included the Whelan original hanging above it)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Room_217_Knowing_Darkness.JPG

Mulleins

Merlin1958
11-15-2013, 12:39 PM

John

Maybe there was a check included with the prototype? LOL

Ben Mears
11-15-2013, 01:02 PM

John

Don't want to go into a long re-hash on this but suffice to say it is very disappointing that SK ended up doing a 180 on Centipede. One or two more SK books (The Shining anyone?) from Jerad would have been a good thing.

RC65
11-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Frankly, I would enjoy a long re-hash of the subject. I hadn't heard anything about it until I began visiting this site a year or so ago and all I've heard has been vague at best, and so I still have no idea what occurred, what prompted King's displeasure, etc., and so I remain curious.

Dan
11-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Oh yes....it is a big book. When I allow visits to Room 217 that seems to be the first thing people notice. I show mine off in a fantastic case made by our own artist, Dolso:

(this is one of 50 that included the Whelan original hanging above it)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Room_217_Knowing_Darkness.JPG

Mulleins

Love the look of the case with the art above!

DoctorZaius
11-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Frankly, I would enjoy a long re-hash of the subject. I hadn't heard anything about it until I began visiting this site a year or so ago and all I've heard has been vague at best, and so I still have no idea what occurred, what prompted King's displeasure, etc., and so I remain curious.

Yes, do tell. I am also out of the loop on this one.

namelessnpoor
11-17-2013, 06:37 PM
What do you all think the Doctor Sleep gift edition price will settle in at? Had one and sold it, found one for what seems a good price, but I noticed they are not hot sellers. Few on ebay at $150, no bids.

Bev Vincent
11-18-2013, 03:35 AM
In case anyone asks, this is not the way to enhance your Stephen King collection: Library checking out book bandit (http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/local-news/library-checking-out-book-bandit)

TwistedNadine
11-18-2013, 06:23 PM
In case anyone asks, this is not the way to enhance your Stephen King collection: Library checking out book bandit (http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/local-news/library-checking-out-book-bandit)

LOL

Great pics of Knowing Darkness. Nice library Ur2ndbiggestfan

Ben Eads
11-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to trade a member of this site for a gift edition of IT. However, we are concerned because the owner of the book, upon inspecting it, found that the hot foil stamping on the front and spine of the book itself is in places where it shouldn't be.

I understand that hot foil stamping is tricky sometimes. I don't want to trade a book for this and then have the hot foil stamping come off/rub off, etc... Any insight would be deeply appreciated, my friends. Please see images below. The T seems to be fine, it is the I that has the issues. I've also included a pic at the bottom of this message showing how it is supposed to look.

Thanks!

http://beneadsfiction.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/IT-book-front.jpg

http://beneadsfiction.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/IT-book-spine.jpg

What the book is supposed to look like:

http://beneadsfiction.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Capture36.jpg

RC65
11-20-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing the difference between your potential book and your example of what it should look like. From what I can tell, they look essentially identical. Perhaps there are some nuances that I'm not seeing.

stroppygoblin
11-20-2013, 08:24 AM
its difficult to tell because of the light and angle but to me it looks like the book you are buying actually has more foil. Note the missing gap between the I and the T on yours compared to the last picture. Also on the T of the comparative book, it has a more pronounced 'square gap' yours seems to taper.

Edit: ignore my foolish ramblings I was comparing the side of yours with the front of the comparison - if you compare side with side and front with front, I agree they look identical

TwistedNadine
11-20-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing the difference between your potential book and your example of what it should look like. From what I can tell, they look essentially identical. Perhaps there are some nuances that I'm not seeing.

What he said.

Ben Eads
11-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks, RC, Stroppy and, Twisted!

The owner contacted me via email before he sent the pictures stating what Stroppy did--there is more foil on the book itself than the slip case. I don't know if this is the way it should be, or not. Or, am I just seeing things?

Do you guys think I should get some more pictures? Or does someone have a gift edition that they can compare to? I would deeply appreciate it, my friends. I'm not at all familiar with the gift edition's markings.

And kudos to the owner for being so up-front and honest...even if there isn't a problem.

TwistedNadine
11-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks, RC, Stroppy and, Twisted!
The owner contacted me via email before he sent the pictures stating what Stroppy did--there is more foil on the book itself than the slip case. I don't know if this is the way it should be, or not. Or, am I just seeing things?
Do you guys think I should get some more pictures? Or does someone have a gift edition that they can compare to? I would deeply appreciate it, my friends. I'm not at all familiar with the gift edition's markings.
And kudos to the owner for being so up-front and honest...even if there isn't a problem.

Just looked at my copy and its exactly the same as yours - slightly more foil on the spine vs the slipcase.

Side note: LOVE this book. What a fabulous production.

Ben Eads
11-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Thank you so much, TwistedNadine! I deeply appreciate it!

I will go ahead and contact the member an initiate the trade!

Again, many, many thanks, my friends!

webstar1000
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I love the look of the new IT... anyone know of a S/L for sale?

TwistedNadine
11-20-2013, 10:49 AM
My pleasure and CONGRATULATIONS.
Your going to be so pleased when you have it in your hands and see how gorgeous it is

TwistedNadine
11-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Anyone recall which Anthology SLs have King stories but are not signed by him?

999 for sure and I know theres a few others but dont remember off the top of my head

RC65
11-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Interestingly enough, I found two (from the same seller) on my local Craig's List this morning. PM me if you'd like the link.

$675/OBO each, and says he'll include "a special, numbered, autographed, limited edition 8.5x11 lithograph illustrated by one of Stephen King's favorite horror artists and long-time illustrator, Glenn Chadbourne featuring the novel's demonic villain, Penny Wise The Clown"

Ben Eads
11-20-2013, 10:02 PM
My pleasure and CONGRATULATIONS.
Your going to be so pleased when you have it in your hands and see how gorgeous it is

I can't wait! WOOT!

Ben Eads
11-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Me too! I can't wait!

I don't personally. However, someone on the site may be able to help you out. ;)

webstar1000
11-21-2013, 04:48 AM

Interestingly enough, I found two (from the same seller) on my local Craig's List this morning. PM me if you'd like the link.

$675/OBO each, and says he'll include "a special, numbered, autographed, limited edition 8.5x11 lithograph illustrated by one of Stephen King's favorite horror artists and long-time illustrator, Glenn Chadbourne featuring the novel's demonic villain, Penny Wise The Clown"

Thanks but I am going to hold out for the Lettered version... I was sooooooooooo close to getting this one:(

webstar1000
11-22-2013, 04:21 AM
Guys, need help... A fellow I am working with has a Desperation in fine condition... what is a fair price to pay for it. It is also in my number as well.... not such a big deal as it only has a small reference to the DT. He is a fair guy and I just do not want to insult him. thanks!

AKC
11-22-2013, 05:09 AM
$275 would be a fair price based on current availability in the secondary market.

NO WAY would I pay over $300.

2 copies just sold at Betts for $225 and $250 respectively.

webstar1000
11-22-2013, 05:46 AM
$275 would be a fair price based on current availability in the secondary market.

NO WAY would I pay over $300.

2 copies just sold at Betts for $225 and $250 respectively.

Thats what I said. I thought $250 was fair and he wants $320.... the issue is... I got my DT matching set from him and he still has one of the slip cases... I think he wants me to buy the book before I get that slip case that actually is part of my set:( I hate paying too much for a book... but I am kinda stuck here. Not sure what to do.... :(

RC65
11-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Thats what I said. I thought $250 was fair and he wants $320.... the issue is... I got my DT matching set from him and he still has one of the slip cases... I think he wants me to buy the book before I get that slip case that actually is part of my set:( I hate paying too much for a book... but I am kinda stuck here. Not sure what to do.... :(

Tell him you'll pay the $320 if he throws in the slipcase...and make it $320 shipped.

webstar1000
11-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Tell him you'll pay the $320 if he throws in the slipcase...and make it $320 shipped.

That is what I got it for in CAD dollars... $318USD:) Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CyberGhostface
11-23-2013, 02:28 PM
J/w, how is the Desperation GE and the Black House/Talisman GE from Grant? Compared to say CD's Gift Editions?

Ben Eads
11-23-2013, 02:32 PM
J/w, how is the Desperation GE and the Black House/Talisman GE from Grant? Compared to say CD's Gift Editions?

IMHO, Cemetery Dance's gift editions are superior.

Dan
11-23-2013, 02:45 PM
CD makes absolutely fantastic editions, but even for the pain in the neck they are, Grant makes some fine looking books and slipcases also.

CyberGhostface
11-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah I just saw they had some in stock and was wondering if I should get one of them. I'm in no rush but BH's one of my favorite King novels.

Ben Eads
11-23-2013, 02:49 PM
CD makes absolutely fantastic editions, but even for the pain in the neck they are, Grant makes some fine looking books and slipcases also.

I agree, Dan. Grant makes beautiful books.

Merlin1958
11-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah I just saw they had some in stock and was wondering if I should get one of them. I'm in no rush but BH's one of my favorite King novels.

They both did (and do) a great job. BH is my farorite as well and I have the S/L, and the GE. The GE is very handsome IMHO Especially, so well priced if I recall. "Desperation" is very good as well. You can't go wrong with either, IMHO.

CyberGhostface
11-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks... I guess I'll see where I am in a couple of months.

DoctorZaius
11-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Hey guys looking for some advice. I have an extra S/L of Doctor Sleep. I also have an extra S/L of The Shining coming in the distant future. I have already secured matching number for the one I plan on keeping. Am I better off selling the extra DS now and the extra Shining when it comes, or would it be better to try to secure a second matching set and then sell the second matching set together? Looking to support my collecting habits. Thanks for any advice.

Ben Eads
11-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Hey, Doctorzaius!

Great question!

Just my humble opinion, but given your context: sell the doubles you have coming in. Sell the double non-matching of Doctor Sleep now, and sell the double non-matching of The Shining when it arrives. You can use that cash to find another matching set. However, DoctorZaius, I would wait to see what some of the experts on this forum have to say. You may be able to contact someone in advance that has a matching set they are trying to sell. ;)

Are you looking to keep the second matching number set, or sell it? Just a little confused.

Again, don't take my words. Wait for an expert to weigh in on it. Don't worry, one should soon, and get you sorted out. ;)

Thanks!

namelessnpoor
11-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I would say sell the Dr sleep now, by the time the Shining gets here, if not delayed anymore I think the prices will have dropped for the Dr sleep. You usually get the best price for the books if sold right after they come out. Plus if selling the books together, your going to be looking to get probably $1300 or more for both, in my opinion that narrows down your buyers quite a bit.
Just my opinion.

DoctorZaius
11-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey, Doctorzaius!

Great question!

Just my humble opinion, but given your context: sell the doubles you have coming in. Sell the double non-matching of Doctor Sleep now, and sell the double non-matching of The Shining when it arrives. You can use that cash to find another matching set. However, DoctorZaius, I would wait to see what some of the experts on this forum have to say. You may be able to contact someone in advance that has a matching set they are trying to sell. ;)

Are you looking to keep the second matching number set, or sell it? Just a little confused.

Again, don't take my words. Wait for an expert to weigh in on it. Don't worry, one should soon, and get you sorted out. ;)

Thanks!

Maybe I was unclear. I already have secured the matching number from SP for one the I got from CD. So I am all set. I was wondering about the extra copy from CD and whether I should get a match for that one from SP.

AKC
11-24-2013, 05:09 AM
Sell whatever duplicates you have now. The premium that you hope to obtain for the sets being "matched" will be offset by the decrease in the average selling price of Doctor Sleep 6 months from now....

Dan
11-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Sell whatever duplicates you have now. The premium that you hope to obtain for the sets being "matched" will be offset by the decrease in the average selling price of Doctor Sleep 6 months from now....

Agreed. In my short experience, it seems like the best time to sell any S/L is the few weeks immediately after release. The hype is up, collectors are worried they will never get a copy if not now, it drops after that. Each book is a little different though.

bdwyer19
11-24-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm thinking about venturing into some of the SK anthology S/Ls. I came across what I think is a pretty good deal for a S/L Book of the Dead. What's the perceived value for this book? Thanks!

Jimimck
11-24-2013, 12:58 PM
I think Betts had one for $350 recently? Not sure if that confirms its current value though....

When I saw BP post his one in his thread, I thought to myself that it is a great looking book. I've mentally added to my Anthologies wish list if I ever get in to them.

DoctorZaius
11-24-2013, 01:07 PM
One recently ended on ebay that had a beginning price of $290, so that brings Betts into perspective. I would say around $250 would be a good deal.

bdwyer19
11-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks James and Greg. That definitely helps. I'm afraid of slipping into another collecting path, but I love the look of this book, and it is being offered at a fantastic price.

DoctorZaius
11-24-2013, 02:25 PM
I can tell you the book is a good one. I purged some of my books a year ago because money was short, mostly anthology collections, and this is the one anthology I regret selling. It was a cool one.

TwistedNadine
11-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Im not much of a seller but as a buyer I agree that the initial price upon release seems considerably higher then a few months later.

I'm thinking about venturing into some of the SK anthology S/Ls. I came across what I think is a pretty good deal for a S/L Book of the Dead. What's the perceived value for this book? Thanks!

imho 200-250 would be a good price

webstar1000
11-24-2013, 03:28 PM
What was the cover price of Doctor Sleep?

webstar1000
11-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I meant the S/L one.. Sorry

Dan
11-24-2013, 03:51 PM
$450

webstar1000
11-25-2013, 04:32 AM
$450

Thanks!

Room 217 Caretaker
11-25-2013, 05:02 AM
The above question of Dr. Sleep publish price brings up an interesting topic:

When I document my purchase in the software I use (collectorz.com) my purchase price always includes shipping. Dr. Sleep publish price is $450 and I think $25 shipping. I document $475 as my purchase price.

Anyone else do this, or is that a bad idea for records purpose?

Mulleins

stroppygoblin
11-25-2013, 05:27 AM

When I document my purchase in the software I use (collectorz.com) my purchase price always includes shipping. Dr. Sleep publish price is $450 and I think $25 shipping. I document $475 as my purchase price.

Mulleins

I would say it depends on what YOU are tracking it for and to some extent what you are tracking it with. If it's a spreadsheet I would always advocate separate columns for book cost and shipping cost, you could always have a 3rd col that SUM'd the two and hide the others for general viewing.

Dan
11-25-2013, 06:34 AM

Mulleins

I would say it depends on what YOU are tracking it for and to some extent what you are tracking it with. If it's a spreadsheet I would always advocate separate columns for book cost and shipping cost, you could always have a 3rd col that SUM'd the two and hide the others for general viewing.

Thats a good idea. I add tax and shipping. Doctor Sleep cost me $450 because I had $10 off and it was $10 to ship. But I am thinking of adding a column for issue price.

jhanic
11-25-2013, 06:47 AM
I always combine the cost of the book and the shipping. I just don't see the need to separate the two. I want to know how much the book actually costs me.

John

TwistedNadine
11-25-2013, 07:33 AM
I always combine the cost of the book and the shipping. I just don't see the need to separate the two. I want to know how much the book actually costs me.

John

Ditto. Reversely if I sell a book I deduct any shipping or paypal / ebay fees so I can see how much I really sold it for...

RC65
11-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I have my collection in an Access database, and use the retail/resale value as the only value shown (i.e. not purchase price). My priority/desire is to have displayed what the book is actually worth should I choose to resell it (or just know the individual and cumulative worth of my books/collection). Since a book can either increase, decrease, or stagnate in value, the approximate value (based on an average of values seen on eBay, ABE, Addall, common sense/experience, et al) is what I find useful, not the purchase price. The only problem with my system is, of course, the value can fluctuate over the years, so I have to try and keep up on it. With about 2500 books in the my database, that isn't always practical or realistic, but fortunately books don't typically fluctuate too awfully much.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Excellent feedback from everyone. Thank you

Mulleins

Scoogs
11-25-2013, 10:24 AM

John

That's exactly what I do as well.
Although for Dr. Sleep I listed the additional cost of the V. Chong remarque in another column of my spreadsheet for whatever reason.

Dan
11-25-2013, 10:27 AM

John

That's exactly what I do as well.
Although for Dr. Sleep I listed the additional cost of the V. Chong remarque in another column of my spreadsheet for whatever reason.

I list slipcases in a separate column also.

divemaster
11-25-2013, 04:16 PM
I never got around to keeping any records of what I paid for a book, either retail or on the secondary market. Some I can remember offhand but I have no written records or spreadsheets or anything. For most books, the best I could do is a ballpark figure or just a guess as to what I paid.

However, I *do* try to keep up with current market value. I have a spreadsheet for all my Arkhams I actively revise from time to time as I see books sell on eBay or Heritage. I keep tabs on the value of King items in a Word file.

RIC #520
11-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Same with me. I never record by purchases. I do have a box of receipts from Grant, CD, etc. In a weird way, I really did not want to know how much was being spent.

webstar1000
11-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Question for you guys... if you do not use Ebay (I do to buy not sell as in Canada Ebay will not allow your ads to be seen in the US.. which is silly as we can see the ads from there...) or Our local Classfieds (Kijiji is like a flea market to say the least), and here.... where do you go to move your books? I have a few gift editions I want to sell or trade for a signed one as I cannot afford to collect them both and well to be frank.. I am running out of room on the shelf~ LOL

dnemec
11-26-2013, 04:55 AM
Same with me. I never record by purchases. I do have a box of receipts from Grant, CD, etc. In a weird way, I really did not want to know how much was being spent.

Glad to see I'm not the only one keeping receipts! I don't want to know what I've spent total, either!!!! But I do keep a spreadsheet of what I have, including issues, attributes, etc., which makes my buying easier.

Dan
11-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Question for you guys... if you do not use Ebay (I do to buy not sell as in Canada Ebay will not allow your ads to be seen in the US.. which is silly as we can see the ads from there...) or Our local Classfieds (Kijiji is like a flea market to say the least), and here.... where do you go to move your books? I have a few gift editions I want to sell or trade for a signed one as I cannot afford to collect them both and well to be frank.. I am running out of room on the shelf~ LOL

Have you looked at AbeBooks? I believe anyone can setup an account.

webstar1000
11-26-2013, 06:47 AM

Thanks Dan:) I looked and I guess you can upload what you have (if you only have a few which I do) and they will make you an offer... kind of neat if you want to turn them into something else. I mean they may offer nothing for the books... I will let everyone know when I upload the ISBN's tomorrow. Thanks:)

Dan
11-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Thanks Dan:) I looked and I guess you can upload what you have (if you only have a few which I do) and they will make you an offer... kind of neat if you want to turn them into something else. I mean they may offer nothing for the books... I will let everyone know when I upload the ISBN's tomorrow. Thanks:)

I'm not sure about that aspect, but I was referring to becoming a seller. Then list your books like all the other listings.

Scoogs
11-26-2013, 05:45 PM

Think of it as backup information for your family.
If something were to happen to you, would they know enough about what you have in your collection to sell them at the best price?

Merlin1958
11-26-2013, 05:46 PM

If something were to happen to you, would they know enough about what you have in your collection to sell them at the best price?

I try to keep my kids up to date, but I have Dick and Jerome as fall backs.

Ben Eads
11-26-2013, 05:51 PM
I just started a list of my own.

Not that I'm afraid I'm going to die tomorrow, but for the benefit of my family. Not that my collection is that great--especially compared to the members of this site! ;)

Merlin1958
11-26-2013, 05:57 PM
In retrospect, while not nearly as impressive as some others here (and no where near as knowledgeable) I am very pleased that in addition to my complete US/UK 1/1 collection I have been fortunate enough to add a very respectable amount of both S/L's and Flat signed books. You gotta cozy up to the battles you have won, rather than focus on the overall "war". LOL IMHO

Everyone is ultimately a "winner" here and our "legacies" shall move on!!!!!

Dan
11-26-2013, 06:09 PM
I keep my list hidden from the wife or my demise might come earlier than expected.

Merlin1958
11-26-2013, 06:11 PM
I keep my list hidden from the wife or my demise might come earlier than expected.

LOL I hear that!! LOL

Ben Eads
11-26-2013, 06:12 PM

ROFLMAO!

RC65
11-26-2013, 07:25 PM

That's one of the two reasons I keep a database. My other reason is -- since I've posted it on-line -- I can consult it at a bookstore if by chance I can't recall if I already have a particular book or not.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-27-2013, 04:45 AM

That's one of the two reasons I keep a database. My other reason is -- since I've posted it on-line -- I can consult it at a bookstore if by chance I can't recall if I already have a particular book or not.

I actually got an insurance discount through homeowners by giving them a database copy of everything in Room 217. I give an update to my rep every 3-6 months depending on activity. Of course, with everything released this year, I think I had to update it daily...haha

Mulleins

webstar1000
11-27-2013, 05:04 AM
I wish my collection was so big that I had to do what you guys are doing... It is large but I know what it there. Couldn't imagine having so many I would have to see if I have the book! haha I do agree that you should also let someone close to you (wife, sibling, children) know what you have in books cause should something happen to you and no one knows... they could just give it away or worse junk them... guarantee that has happened once or twice over time... kris

WeDealInLead
11-27-2013, 05:51 AM
I guarantee our spouses and other halves would know what to do with our collections even without specific instructions. As for the sizes of collections, you'll get there. Take it easy, and focus on one or two goals: first editions, gift editions, S/Ls, signed trades, anthologies, first appearances etc. Read and research things on your own. Start with the catalogue and all the resources on this board.

I'd start with first editions. Those should be the cornerstone of any decent collection.

Roseannebarr
11-27-2013, 09:42 AM
i made the mistake of collecting 1st editions. after that was complete, i am now working on flat signed 1st editions. 60% of my flat signed books were signed in person. The other 40% i traded or purchased. now i almost have two compete collections. 1sts and 1sts flat signed. Then i found some cheap proofs, and then good deals on S/L books. and then Randall Flagg keeps telling me to buy stuff on the SK ebay page, so i have quite the room full of stuff!!! I am trying to stay focused on my flat signed collection, then DAvid at Betts keeps posting items tooo!!!!

Jimimck
11-27-2013, 12:15 PM
My back up plan if I die tomorrow is I have instructions for Greta to log on here, let you all know, and I'm hoping she will then get some advice on what to do with my books.

So in other words even after I'm gone I plan to use all your knowledge to help me out :-)

RIC #520
11-27-2013, 12:20 PM
I was thinking to leave "the king collection" to charity... Not sure how that would work...

Room 217 Caretaker
11-27-2013, 12:31 PM
I was thinking to leave "the king collection" to charity... Not sure how that would work...

Leave it to thedarktower.org and we can sell it on your behalf by giving the outcome to The Haven Foundation.

Mulleins

webstar1000
11-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Leave it to thedarktower.net and we can sell it on your behalf by giving the outcome to The Haven Foundation.

Mulleins

Great idea Ralph.

Randall Flagg
11-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Leave it to thedarktower.net and we can sell it on your behalf by giving the outcome to The Haven Foundation.

Mulleins

Mulleins

Great idea Ralph.
It would be better if you left it to thedarktower.org

Room 217 Caretaker
11-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Listing corrected. Sorry about that.

Merlin1958
11-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Mulleins

Great idea Ralph.

I'll second that notion!!!

Ivo
11-28-2013, 05:37 AM
What would a 1st/1st dust jackets in VG condition for a Gunslinger from Grant, and a 1st/1st Carrie same condition go for?

webstar1000
11-28-2013, 03:10 PM
I also have a question for all the good folks here... What would be a really good deal for a Buick 8 S/L? My buddy says he has a line on one for next to nothing but I haven't heard the price yet so I want some "ammo" so to speak. Thanks!

AKC
11-28-2013, 03:10 PM
I also have a question for all the good folks here... What would be a really good deal for a Buick 8 S/L? My buddy says he has a line on one for next to nothing but I haven't heard the price yet so I want some "ammo" so to speak. Thanks!

Anything under $400 is a good deal....

Dan
11-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Next to nothing sounds like a great price. Short of that, I don't know.

bdwyer19
11-28-2013, 03:43 PM

I got mine a couple years ago for $275.

Jimimck
11-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I agree with AKC, anything under $400 is a good deal. They don't come up for sale as often as others, and generally I see asking prices $450ish.

Brian James Freeman
11-28-2013, 04:53 PM
i made THE WISE DECISION of collecting 1st editions

Corrected that typo for you...

Merlin1958
11-28-2013, 06:42 PM
"Webstar" seriously needs an "avatar" already. Get on that right away, dude. Okay? LOL LOL LOL

webstar1000
11-28-2013, 06:44 PM
"Webstar" seriously needs an "avatar" already. Get on that right away, dude. Okay? LOL LOL LOL

Lol. I shall consider one and it will be up tomorrow:) it will be me in "uniform" so stay tuned.....

Merlin1958
11-28-2013, 06:48 PM

Lol. I shall consider one and it will be up tomorrow:) it will be me in "uniform" so stay tuned.....

Okay then. LOL I look forward to it with Antici.....

pation!!!!!

cit74
11-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi all - Brodart is having a big cyber monday sale - 40% off - just use the code: CYB40 at checkout - you can goto their Facebook page, like them and get this code that way also. A good time to stock up on covers.

Ben Eads
11-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I need more dust jacket protectors.

Dano
11-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Thank you, as well, for the heads up! I need more, too!!!

Dan

Patrick
12-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Chad.

webstar1000
12-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Guys.... Doctor Sleep PC copy... What you think it's worth?

Ben Eads
12-02-2013, 04:33 PM
That's a great question, Webstar.

The conventional wisdom is 10-15% less than the normal going rate.

Some people don't are for a PC copy. However, some people cherish it. It being a "publisher's copy".

I asked the same question regarding a PC of another book and was told the same. Some voiced that they did not like PC copies, some voiced they didn't care.

Randall Flagg
12-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Guys.... Doctor Sleep PC copy... What you think it's worth?
Other than DTI, PC's almost always sell for ~10%-60% less than a numbered copy. That doesn't mean it is worth less to someone who wants/has one, just that typically they aftermarket sell for less.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-02-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm one of the few that don't mind a PC (Publisher Copy). I find the value to be in the signatures and not the number. However, the number is important to me if I'm trying to match or complete a set.

Mulleins

Ben Eads
12-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I just took some pictures of the art in the SNL of NOS4A2, and I think one of my art pages is damaged.

Is it supposed to be this way?

http://beneadsfiction.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Manx.jpg

Dano
12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I just looked at mine - that's not right. Is that a crease or a color break?

Dan

Ben Eads
12-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for checking on that, Dano!

It's a color break. It runs up the whole page. It follows Manx's favorite tool, so I second guessed my self.

I'll contact the publisher and go from there. ;)

Again, thanks!

Dano
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
:frown2:

Ben Eads
12-02-2013, 09:24 PM
I know. Sigh...

I really hope Sub has some copies left over that are not damaged that I can exchange it for. Fingers crossed.

Ben Eads
12-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Just heard back from Bill from Sub Press. Wow! That was fast!

Everything will be taken care of. That is a huge load off my shoulders. Bill and his team are amazing people!

Dano
12-03-2013, 05:20 AM
:clap:

The Library Policeman
12-03-2013, 05:23 AM

Everything will be taken care of. That is a huge load off my shoulders. Bill and his team are amazing people!

Glad you got it sorted, Ben. It's a lovely book!

Ben Eads
12-03-2013, 08:11 AM

Thanks, Alan!

It's a very lovely book. One of my favorites. ;) Sub Press did an amazing job on it.

Roseannebarr
12-03-2013, 09:30 AM
getting ready to buy this. Requesting feedback. Legit? Thoughts on the signatures? Thank!!!

http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/IMG_0021_zps42835874.jpg.html

stroppy knows that i am requesting feedback!

http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/IMG_0021_zps42835874.jpg.html

webstar1000
12-03-2013, 10:20 AM

Thanks, Alan!

It's a very lovely book. One of my favorites. ;) Sub Press did an amazing job on it.

Is he a good writer Ben? I have never read a thing he has done... all the talk has gotten me intrigued about him.

Ben Eads
12-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks, Alan!

Is he a good writer Ben? I have never read a thing he has done... all the talk has gotten me intrigued about him.

Indeed he is, my friend. He's really good, actually. And kudos for him for coming up the way he did.

Check out his short story collection 20th Century Ghosts. My favorite story is Pop Art. If you dig those, go from there. ;)

IMHO, I think NOS4A2 is his best work...yet. ;)