PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Collecting Questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

Cook
04-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Well that's embarrassing, Sorry

Cook
04-03-2011, 10:58 AM
I could use some help regarding Dead Zone. I have attached a Statement below from Barry R Levin's Biblio notes.

KING, STEPHEN. THE DEAD ZONE.
We discovered two states of the first edition of THE DEAD ZONE by Stephen King. Both state "First published in 1979 by The Viking Press" on the copyright page. Both states show differences in binding and dust jacket. We have checked our bibliographic notes and discovered an old rumor that Stephen King had been unhappy with copies of the first edition of THE DEAD ZONE that he had seen at an autograph party in advance of publication date and had asked the publisher to reprint the first printing. We wrote King and asked him about this rumor and about the points for the true first issue. We received a reply dated August 4, 1988, "In response to your question about the true first issue of the first edition of THE DEAD ZONE, some of the first editions were defective. They were pulled from distribution."

Does anybody know what the actual differences (two states) are?

namelessnpoor
04-13-2011, 06:20 AM
have a question in reference to the Do It Yourself Work book that contains the King Story you can complete your self. I am looking to get one (well a better one, have one in nice shape but it has been written in, one of the stories, not Kings, was finshed by some one) I have a line on one that is not written in at all, in reallt nice shape, just wondering if its really worth upgrading or am i just spending extra money !! So i was wondering what you all would place as the vlaue on that book. You don't see them to often, but not sure how rare they actually are.

jhanic
04-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Rusty, you're talking about the book The Do It Yourself Bestseller, with King's partial story "Skybar". I know there are a number of different printings of this book, so if you can upgrade to a first printing, it would be worth it. I'm not sure what differentiates the various printings, but I'm sure someone here can help with that.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
There's only one printing of, "The Do It Yourself Bestseller".

jhanic
04-13-2011, 09:38 AM
You're right. I was thinking of "Bred Any Good Rooks Lately".

John

CRinVA
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Stu Tinker is auctioning off copy #148 of 400 of the clothbound version of the titel book. Does anyone have an inkling as to how much this sold for originally and how much it might be worth today. I have absolutely no idea!

This auction is in support of Rocky Wood's pursuit of an expensive piece of medical equipment that he is going to need as his disease progresses! A noble cause.

Bev Vincent
04-14-2011, 10:53 AM
It's going for $400-$625 on abebooks.com. The lettered edition runs for about $1000.

Randall Flagg
04-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Stu Tinker is auctioning off copy #148 of 400 of the clothbound version of the titel book. Does anyone have an inkling as to how much this sold for originally and how much it might be worth today. I have absolutely no idea!

This auction is in support of Rocky Wood's pursuit of an expensive piece of medical equipment that he is going to need as his disease progresses! A noble cause.
The Collectibles Catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Signatures+-+S+L) is your friend:

Title: Signatures
Author: Edited by Herb Yellin
Artist:
Publisher: Lord John Press
Year: 1991
State: 1/150 Issue Price: $400
Comments: 26 Lettered, 150 Deluxe and 400 numbered copies.
Signed by Stephen King and 42 Modern Authors. including John Barth, James Blaylock, Robert Bloch, T. Coraghessan Boyle, Ray Bradbury, Ramsey Campbell, James Crumley, Louise Erdrich, Michael Dorris, Dennis Etchison, Pres. Gerald R. Ford, Richard Ford, Bruce Francis, Ellen Gilchrist, Jim Harrison, William Kennedy, Harry Crews, Thomas McGuane, Tony HIllerman, Ursula K. LeGuinn, John L'Heureux, Elmore Leonard, Norman Mailer, Richard C. Matheson, Brian Moore, Joe Mugnaini, Joyce Carol Oates, Edna O'Brien, Robert B. Parker, Tim Powers, Reynolds Price, James Purdy, Dan Simmons, Peter Straub, Ross Thomas, Anne Tyler, John Updike, Eudora Welty, Richard Yates, Donald E. Westlake, James Lee Burke and William Everson. Each signature is accompanied by a portrait of the author (not King).

EDIT:
We will merge this into the Collecting Questions (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1283-Collecting-Questions) thread in a bit.

CRinVA
04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Betts is selling a Lettered Signatures for $600 with no takers.

divemaster
04-15-2011, 08:14 AM
I've tracked a few on eBay over the past year or so. If I recall correctly, the numbered gets listed around $300-$400 and I don't think they sold.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I've tracked a few on eBay over the past year or so. If I recall correctly, the numbered gets listed around $300-$400 and I don't think they sold.

I have done the same and agree with your findings. They do not sell.

sullivan19
04-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Picked up a hardback The Dark Tower today, for only £3! The page with the ISBN info etc is missing though? Clearly been removed for some reason. The price is still inside, £25 originally and the ISBN is on the dust cover with the barcode. Another barcode as been stuck inside, on the very first page, upon the artwork. Would this book of come from a library?

WeDealInLead
04-16-2011, 07:35 AM

I have done the same and agree with your findings. They do not sell.

Is it just signatures and no text?

jhanic
04-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Picked up a hardback The Dark Tower today, for only £3! The page with the ISBN info etc is missing though? Clearly been removed for some reason. The price is still inside, £25 originally and the ISBN is on the dust cover with the barcode. Another barcode as been stuck inside, on the very first page, upon the artwork. Would this book of come from a library?

I would guess it came from a library, but the lack of any stamps, etc. makes me wonder.

John

Randall Flagg
04-16-2011, 10:57 AM
C
Perhaps whoever remaindered it stuck the lower price barcode in it to signify it no longer is £25 That way someone who purchased it as a discount would not be able to return it for the full amount.

sullivan19
04-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Thank you both for your comments. I'm guessing the book has come from a library because upon closer inspection, there is slight damage to the first page, again on the art work. It looks like a label/sticker for stamps has been removed. The second barcode could of been for the library own use. I put the ISBM into a search tool and it just gave a date of publication, August 04.

Why would the page with the publishing info be missing? (Plus, what is this page called officially?!)

Randall Flagg
04-16-2011, 03:09 PM
(Plus, what is this page called officially?!)
Copyright Page

Ric
04-16-2011, 05:24 PM
(Plus, what is this page called officially?!)
Copyright Page

Also known as the Colophon page.

Randall Flagg
04-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Rarely referred to as the 'Colophon Page'. Commonly referred to as the 'Copyright Page'. Colophon is a cool and unique word that seems to have gone the wayside. Somewhere in the Catalog it is used.
<-----------------Goes to search.

EDIT:
My Pretty Pony (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=My+Pretty+Pony+-+S+L#post41403) entry in the Catalog.

State: 1/280 Unnumbered but colophon does designate print run. Issue Price $2,200

Randall Flagg
04-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Has anyone ever seen (Bob please step in here) or own one of the I-XXX Roman Numbered copies of My Pretty Pony? I am changing the Catalog entry to reflect that the Colphon page states that there were "thirty additional Authors' Copies copies marked I-XXX ""

carlosdetweiller
04-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Has anyone ever seen (Bob please step in here) or own one of the I-XXX Roman Numbered copies of My Pretty Pony? I am changing the Catalog entry to reflect that the Colphon page states that there were "thirty additional Authors' Copies copies marked I-XXX ""

I do have one. It was originally one of King's author copies. He inscribed and gave it to one of his long time employees who, upon retirement, sold it to Stu Tinker. IIRC, it is copy "VI". It's the only one I have ever seen for sale.

Ric
04-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Rarely referred to as the 'Colophon Page'. Commonly referred to as the 'Copyright Page'. Colophon is a cool and unique word that seems to have gone the wayside. Somewhere in the Catalog it is used.

I guess it depends who you ask. I see Colophon used quite often in literary circles and when speaking to dealers about rare and/or collectible books. Regardless, the relative popularity of the colloquial use of a term shouldn't remove its definition. :)

Randall Flagg
04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
That's why I said it is a unique and cool word.:grouphug: Here is one of the few places I have seen, or used the word. I suppose I need to find more erudite friends in the outside world.

divemaster
04-16-2011, 07:59 PM
"Colophon page" is a familiar term for Arkham House collectors. Most (but not all) AH books have the print run, edition, and information regarding the printer and the paper/binding materials on the last page of the book, whereas the date, author, title, and AH imprint are on the traditional copyright page up front. Thus the last page is commonly called the Colophon page for Arkham books.

Ric
04-16-2011, 08:45 PM
"Colophon page" is a familiar term for Arkham House collectors. Most (but not all) AH books have the print run, edition, and information regarding the printer and the paper/binding materials on the last page of the book, whereas the date, author, title, and AH imprint are on the traditional copyright page up front. Thus the last page is commonly called the Colophon page for Arkham books.

Very true. I believe traditionally the term 'Colophon' was used to indicate a printer's mark or stamp, and that evolved into a page with the publisher's information regarding print run, publish date, etc. The copyright page as we know it today came later on and sometimes combines both sets of information into one location. :)

sullivan19
04-17-2011, 01:30 AM
:doh: Copyright page, I knew that!

Shannon
04-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi, I was just wondering ... When are an author's books most valuable? I was reading a thread either here or on skcollector and it said something like: First editions lost value, gift/artist editions stay the same, signed limiteds only go up in value ... I'm just curious about how the value of the books change ... I mean, obviously a Carrie first edition wasn't always worth thousands of dollars ... But if it's $2,500 this year, besides normal economy inflation, is it going to gain value over time? Or has it "peaked"?

Also, I assume if/when (you never know) King dies, the books will become even more valuable, correct? Or ... no? Some of you have been collecting for a long long time, you've seen authors come and go. I've only been a collector for a few months, I know nothing, lol.

Shannon

*edit: value as in money, not as in "how much it's worth to the collector", lol, this is strictly a $$$ question :)

biomieg
04-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Well... my humble opinion is that there is no other value than 'how much it's worth to a collector' as you put it. Someone who doesn't collect King is not going to pay hundreds of dollars for a 1st edition CARRIE, even when we as collectors have collectively agreed (more or less) that the book has a certain value.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
There are not enough new collectors of King to replace the ones who no longer collect. (for whatever reason)

Therefore the market is smaller, and the prices go down. Exceptions are ultra rare, one off items.

The books released after 2005 can all be bought for the list price or less. Including Signed Lettered, Numbered and Gift Editions.

Ric
04-20-2011, 06:03 AM
If you're "collecting" King as an investment you may as well stop now. If you're collecting King because you love the stories and the books and the minutia and the value is secondary, then continue and enjoy the ride. Things are "worth" whatever someone else is willing to pay for them. Sometimes that's quite a bit, and sometimes it's less than the cost of the sticky hard candy on the bottom shelf at the 7-11. That's collecting. You should be doing it for the <3 and not for the $.

Rahfa
04-20-2011, 07:06 AM
There are not enough new collectors of King to replace the ones who no longer collect. (for whatever reason)

Therefore the market is smaller, and the prices go down. Exceptions are ultra rare, one off items.

The books released after 2005 can all be bought for the list price or less. Including Signed Lettered, Numbered and Gift Editions.

Yup...sad, but true. Not sure WHY the collector's stopped coming.

I believe it had a lot to do with the forgeries...I think that burned so many would-be collectors that it wrecked the market for good.

The original five 1st editions will always be worth $$ because they appeal to ALL book collectors - Carrie, Stand, etc. But these new books? Nobody cares. At least nobody brand new to the collecting.

And of course, not only are there no new collectors, but many old collectors are jumping off too...I collected seriously for 10 years, but not so much anymore. Oh well...

Shannon
04-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Gotcha, thanks for the info guys. I love the sport of collecting King, lol, it's all I seem to think about anymore, as sad as that seems. When I'm home, I'm doing King collecting stuff, when I'm at work, I'm always looking for a chance when my boss is away so I can play, lol.

I was just thinking of making some extra cash, like for example: Legacies S/L was $200 from the publisher, I bought it a little while after, a month or two, from Betts for $250. Now, I look on Ebay, and one copy sold for $355 (with 24 bids, lol, wow) and the other for $449. If I would have bought a few originally and sold them now, that's quite a little bit of profit made. My question, let's take this title--Legacies S/L--as an example, is it peaking now, or in 2, 5, 10, 20 years will it be worth even more?

jhanic
04-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Shannon, I would not invest in King books with the idea of making money off of them. You are bound to lose in the long run. As has been stated, King items, especially the newer items, have dropped in price, and there is absolutely NO indication that they will rise. Of course, if I could predict the future...

I remember back before DTV came out, the trade editions of DTIV (Wizard and Glass) were selling in the $200 range. This has also dropped quite a bit since then. There's no good way of predicting what the market will do.

John

WeDealInLead
04-20-2011, 04:34 PM
I've been buying King books for roughly two years and there's not one I can think of that I can sell for a profit.

biomieg
04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
When a new King limited is released, there's always a bunch of them that are listed on eBay immediately and these usually command higher prices because people who missed out want to get hold of a copy. But after this brief surge, prices drop significantly. At least that's my perception.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-21-2011, 02:57 AM
When a new King limited is released, there's always a bunch of them that are listed on eBay immediately and these usually command higher prices because people who missed out want to get hold of a copy. But after this brief surge, prices drop significantly. At least that's my perception.

It's even worse with proofs. The first ones to appear on ebay go for extortionate prices, but 6 months later they can be bought for a fraction of the price.

jhanic
04-21-2011, 04:33 AM

It's even worse with proofs. The first ones to appear on ebay go for extortionate prices, but 6 months later they can be bought for a fraction of the price.

If they can be found at all. Some proofs just seem to disappear. The US Cell is a great example of this.

John

Robert Fulman
04-21-2011, 04:46 AM
In the past few months, I have purchased three first editions of "The Waste Lands". All three books are in really good shape, but one has a chipped dust jacket. One of them is still shrink wrapped. I paid a total of $103 for these books, with visions of dollar signs dancing in my head. But, then a funny thing happened: I fell in love with having those books on my shelf. Waste Lands is probably my favorite DT book. I kind of half-heartedly threw them up on eBay, to appease my wife mainly, but I was secretly hoping they wouldn't sell. I just don't have the heart to make money doing this, and I don't really need $100 that bad.

To Shannon's specific point, it's really impossible to know what is going to happen to prices in the future. If I knew that Gunslinger 1sts would be worth $5000 in 5 years, I would start buying them up like crazy but so would everyone else. EBay is a pretty efficient marketplace, and I think that any margin would disappear quickly. Also, let's say Legacies S/L is worth $400 now, and I think it is going to be worth $1,000 in twenty years. I wouldn't bother buying it, because the rate of return on that investment (less than 5% per year) is pretty poor. So, look around at all the S/Ls that are going for $400 today. If you think they will be selling for $2500 in twenty years, then they are a sound investment (rate between 9% and 10%) per year, and you might be able to make some money with them. However, there is a non-intrinsic value in having these books on your shelf, and you need to take that into consideration.

Long story short, buy books because you like them. Buy stocks if you want to make some money.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Buy stocks if you want to make some money.

The return on stock is terrible. Buy "proper" art for real money.

Ben Staad
04-21-2011, 05:32 AM

You mean "proper" art like this:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb387/tampatim2003/SKArt.jpg

LOL LOL J/K.....and yes I do own this. I'm hoping my $30 investment will be big in twenty years. :P

Ric
04-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Not all stock. :) My portfolio did exceedingly well in 2010 (which was a refreshing change.) :)

Randall Flagg
04-21-2011, 06:20 AM

You mean "proper" art like this:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb387/tampatim2003/SKArt.jpg

LOL LOL J/K.....and yes I do own this. I'm hoping my $30 investment will be big in twenty years. :P
I almost bought that piece. I like it.

Ben Staad
04-21-2011, 12:11 PM
RF....It looks really nice in person. Thanks for not bidding on it as my limit was the starting price of $30!

George at C-Springs
04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Stocks or art (or books!), it's all about your knowledge. You don't usually just stumble on a good stock and get rich, there's a lot of homework involved in addition to a little bit of luck; they always say "Buy what you know". Back when I started, I bought what I knew and it turned out to be my best buy yet ... Marvel Comics. I started buying in 2000 when they were coming out of bankruptcy and price was $3.50/share. Last year they got bought out by Disney for $55/share; I made $9K when that happened. Wish they were all like that; my next best has only gained 237% (so far). Guaranteed I'll do better with my stocks than my King collection!

Merlin1958
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
As others have said, you really can't be in it for cash on the short haul. However if you can add 20-25 years to any smart purchase you will more than likely realize a profit. So buy now for the Grandkids later!!!! After you're as dead as King at one point or another!!! LOL

henry the tall
04-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Wondering what the going rate is for all 5 of the Fantasy & Science Fiction editions from the late 70's / early 80's with DT1 The Gunslinger. They are all in good/great shape with the The Gunslinger having a shipping label on the back and a second copy of The Dark Man with a shipping label on the cover.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

biomieg
04-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Prices are all over the place but with a bit of patience (from the buyer's perspective) the whole set can be had for as little as $40. I'd say that a pristine set without address labels can go for $80-100. Maybe other members have a different opinion.

henry the tall
04-21-2011, 10:11 PM
thanks Michael....I've looked around and they do seem to be all over the place...ABE has sets at 500-700 and figured that was a wheee bit high. I've seen singles of the later issues at 30-40. I have a set and curious what they are going for. they are all in great shape so we'll see what I can get.

appreciate the input!

biomieg
04-21-2011, 11:34 PM
ABE is a wonderful place to find stuff but never use it as a guideline for market value (unless you only look at the lower asking prices). You're better off checking the completed listings on eBay every now and then because these show what an item actually sold for, not what the seller wants to get for it. There's a big difference.

Robert Fulman
04-22-2011, 02:54 AM
In the last few months, I have collected four of the five for a total of $35, and That also includes about 25 other issues of F&SF.

ELazansky
04-22-2011, 03:48 AM
I've spent about $25 on issues 2-5 (still looking for that elusive #1) over the past few months

Ric
04-22-2011, 06:49 AM
I spent around $40 for all 5 a number of years ago. Three of them came with address labels which I was able to remove with un-du. I think these days the median rate is somewhere around $15-20 for the first issue w/o label and $10-15 ea. for the other 4 depending on condition.

Stockerlone
04-23-2011, 09:14 AM
On the German Stephen King fan page ´we´ now start to collect/find out, if there are realy only
25 German signed Duddits - Dreamcatcher.

Several won from tdt.org members... Mike of cause ....:thumbsup:

Pls. post here when YOU have an German signed limited Duddits.

Tks a lot :grouphug:

Duddits Stephen King 1/25 lim sig Ullstein HC. Easy to distinguish. The signatur is on WHITE page, in all other ´normal´ hc´s is this page GREEN

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=160584955&imageType=image

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=149796704&imageType=image

carlosdetweiller
04-23-2011, 10:46 AM

I have one.

biomieg
04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
And eBay seller 'Russdj' also still has a copy I think.

Stockerlone
04-23-2011, 11:05 AM
And eBay seller 'Russdj' also still has a copy I think.

And NOT sold for 350 euros:doh:

namelessnpoor
04-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Does anyone collect or have any interest in old Playboys? I have a box of them, were given to me by my father in law who found them at his parents house when they were cleaning out the place. They are in pretty good shape and are from the 60's and early 70's. Seems a waste to throw them away, but i have no interest in them. If anyone is interested or wants to know specifically what i have date wise etc.. i do have a list, so i could email you the info. other wise they are going to be recycled !

Ric
04-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Does anyone collect or have any interest in old Playboys? I have a box of them, were given to me by my father in law who found them at his parents house when they were cleaning out the place. They are in pretty good shape and are from the 60's and early 70's. Seems a waste to throw them away, but i have no interest in them. If anyone is interested or wants to specifically what i have date wise etc.. i do have a list, so i could email you the info. other wise they are going to recycled !

Do you have a CraigsList that serves your area? If so, list them on there and accept offers. I've done that with quite a few things that I didn't want to bother shipping and it's tended to work out well.

Pasiuk57
04-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I have just one!!

Fsmdr
04-25-2011, 09:11 AM

I have one.

I have one too.

DeShane
04-25-2011, 09:30 AM
can someone please tell me if the first uk edition of the gunslinger was 1988 or 1989. and if anyone has a pic of one that would be fantasic, trying to get all 7 books in uk 1st editions, Thanks

biomieg
04-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Identifying features of UK 1st editions: http://www.akyle.f2s.com/uk_firsts.html

http://www.rarelist.co.uk/books/0243/42-0.jpg

DeShane
04-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks Mike,

Jimimck
04-26-2011, 04:10 PM
A while ago someone posted about picking up an unsigned PC copy of The Skeleton Crew for what I thought was quite a good price. It has got me thinking I'd settle for an unsigned copy of such a sweet looking book. So my query is, how hard are these to find in the market? Is it just a matter of keeping an eye on Ebay? or do these pop up at Betts or here from time to time?

Cheers
James

**EDIT**

Now that I think about it, are there other unsigned copies of S/L books out there? I'm probably showing how cheap I am here, but if a S/L is out of my price range, I'd still love to pick up a copy of the book if possible for a reduced price...

idlewarnings
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Is there a complete list of all the Castle Rock issues/dates somewhere? I'm trying to figure out which ones I need to complete my set. Thanks.

Ric
04-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Is there a complete list of all the Castle Rock issues/dates somewhere? I'm trying to figure out which ones I need to complete my set. Thanks.

There's a thread on it here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11906-Castle-Rock-Newsletter-index)

biomieg
04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
A while ago someone posted about picking up an unsigned PC copy of The Skeleton Crew for what I thought was quite a good price. It has got me thinking I'd settle for an unsigned copy of such a sweet looking book. So my query is, how hard are these to find in the market? Is it just a matter of keeping an eye on Ebay? or do these pop up at Betts or here from time to time?

Cheers
James

**EDIT**

Now that I think about it, are there other unsigned copies of S/L books out there? I'm probably showing how cheap I am here, but if a S/L is out of my price range, I'd still love to pick up a copy of the book if possible for a reduced price...

I would also be very interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Cheers
James

**EDIT**

I would also be very interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.

I think you will be wasting your money. Buying "shelf fillers" always is, whatever the hobby. You end up paying out money twice, as the "shelf fillers" are never quite good enough. You hate knowing that the things you have are second best.

George at C-Springs
04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
On this subject Mr RT and I have completely different opinions! (we had this discussion awhile back over at The Collector). Personally I love the PC copies, and in no way do I consider them second best or space fillers ... I mean, c'mon, why would you think that? Quite the opposite, I think they are fantastic collectibles! PCs are completely identical to the final Lettered or S/L, sometimes down to the signatures ... the biggest difference is the price! Not to offend Mr RT or anyone else here, but turning up your nose at a great book because you think it's second best is, IMO ... well, a little uppity. Not everyone has a fortune to spend on books, so they collect what they are able to and what they like ... that certainly doesn't mean they are wasting money. Some folks collect only old paperbacks; are we going to tell them their collection is second best? Hell no!

For those fortunate enough to be able to grab every Lettered and S/L out there, good on ya!, but most people out here in the world aren't able to do that. I collect what appeals to me and what I can afford not to have in my bank account. Sometimes it's a nice Proof, S/L or remarque, others it's a paperback (and the great thing about those is you can actually open the book and read the story!). My good example (shown here before) of a great PC is my PC S/L LSOE, with signatures and Eye doodle:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/PC_LSOE_Traycase.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/PC_LSOE_Traycase_Interior.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/PC_LSOE_Sig_Page.jpg

Are you really going to tell me it's second best? As I've said before, if anyone has a complete set of DT PCs, I'd love to see them and take them off your hands for a good price (much much less than the price of a set of S/Ls, I'll wager!)

Tito_Villa
04-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I love Pc copies too, they only differ to the numbered copies by a number being written on the signature page, they are still the exact same great book. I have just sold my numbered SOD V2 but intend on keeping my PC copy. Completely agree with you George!

Jimimck
04-27-2011, 01:21 AM
I think you will be wasting your money. Buying "shelf fillers" always is, whatever the hobby. You end up paying out money twice, as the "shelf fillers" are never quite good enough. You hate knowing that the things you have are second best. I also disagree with this. That basically means that anything less than a lettered or S/L isn't worth having. As a collector who will usually only be able to afford Gift Editions, I am more than happy with a nice edition of a book/story I love. I also started my collecting trying to get all 1st US editions, and would actually be very happy if I finish that one day. Anything over and above that is just a bonus for me. I'm never going to own a complete set of Gift editions, let alone S/L's.

I understand that to some, the lettered or S/L editions may hold a more desirable status than PC copies, but for me, I wouldn't care either way.

I'd like to point out though my original query was around "unsigned" copied of these editions. Again, if it came down to budget issues, I would certainly be happy with an unsigned copy of what is otherwise considered a S/L (does that make sense?). The unsigned PC copy of The Skeleton Crew is the first I've even heard of unsigned copies like that being available. Do we know if there are others like that out there?

Brice
04-27-2011, 03:10 AM
I personally prefer a number or a letter, but that won't keep me from getting a PC at a good price. Now, if they were the same price I'd choose the numbered or lettered.

George, there's only about 4 COMPLETE PC DT sets I think so those would probably set you back much much more than a regular numbered set, I would guess.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-27-2011, 03:19 AM
Obviously the persons who do not have Lettered or Number Edition are going to disagree. :)

A numbered or lettered book is a unique one off. No-one else in the world has #6, or letter D for instance. There could be dozens of PC copies of a book printed. And the manufacturer could print more later if he choses

Tito_Villa
04-27-2011, 03:33 AM
Could anyone give me any information on 'McSweeney's Issue 27' that is slipcased and includes Stephen King's A very tight place??

Thanks in advance

ELazansky
04-27-2011, 03:47 AM
Could anyone give me any information on 'McSweeney's Issue 27' that is slipcased and includes Stephen King's A very tight place??

Thanks in advance

Here you go - http://store.mcsweeneys.net/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.detail/object_id/aa5ec80d-0bc9-45ea-9bce-275ed0c28bb9/McSweeneysIssue27.cfm

It has three books in the slipcase - the regular magazine, a sketchbook, and an "art show catalogue"

biomieg
04-27-2011, 03:50 AM
I consider an unsigned 'S/L' book to be a kind of gift edition and from that perspective I am interested in them. It would never be a placeholder for a true S/L but simply another nice book to add to the collection. So yes, like James I am curious how often you see one of those come up for sale and I would appreciate an estimate of their value.

George at C-Springs
04-27-2011, 03:51 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love a Lettered and S/L as much as the next guy and for the same price there's little doubt which way I'd go ... I just disagree that anything else is second best and not worth collecting. Brice, I was just being sarcastic about the PC DT sets, I know they're tremendously rare ... need a sarcastic smiley!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-27-2011, 04:23 AM
...I would appreciate an estimate of their value.

To value something, you need to have information of previous sales. If there has only ever been one item like that for sale, then that is the value, until another comes along.

This applies to everything for sale, not just books.

Ric
04-27-2011, 04:25 AM
Obviously the persons who do not have Lettered or Number Edition are going to disagree. :)

A numbered or lettered book is a unique one off. No-one else in the world has #6, or letter D for instance. There could be dozens of PC copies of a book printed. And the manufacturer could print more later if he choses

You can, of course, look at this from the other side as well. Other than the number, there is absolutely no difference between number 12 and number 1250 of a S/L book, nor is one number typically valued more than another. Of a 1250 copy print run, there are 1250 numbered copies but only, say, 20 PC copies. That means that a numbered edition is 1/1250 whereas a PC edition is 1/20. It's all a matter of perspective. The book itself (that is the important thing here right? The book?) is exactly the same. To call a PC edition a "waste of money", "second best" and a "shelf filler" is elitist at best and bordering on snobbery. If you view collecting as a competition, then I suppose you need to find some justification or indicator that you are "winning."

I have many S/L editions, and I have a few PC copies as well. I consider them equal because they are in all facets (other than the numerical designation) identical.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-27-2011, 04:31 AM
Other than the number, there is absolutely no difference between number 12 and number 1250 of a S/L book.

True.

Even worse, I have lettered and numbered versions of the same books, where the only difference is the letter/number. Yet the lettered version is vastly more expensive than the numbered.

Ric
04-27-2011, 04:41 AM
Other than the number, there is absolutely no difference between number 12 and number 1250 of a S/L book.

True.

Even worse, I have lettered and numbered versions of the same books, where the only difference is the letter/number. Yet the lettered version is vastly more expensive than the numbered.

In cases where the only difference between the two is the assignation of a letter rather than a number (I'm looking at you Gunslinger!) I am of the opinion that the lettered edition should not carry such a premium over the numbered, PC, Author Copy, etc. I suppose it is the nature of collecting though that the perception of rarity drives the desire to own, and therefore the market value. For lettered editions, I prefer those that are markedly different than their numbered counterparts.

Cook
04-27-2011, 04:54 AM
What if the book is signed by the author & artist, as in The Gunslinger but has "no" number, letter or PC designation? (line left blank)
How is this viewed?
Is it considered lettered, numbered or PC?

Hope this isn't considered a thread hi-jack

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-27-2011, 05:02 AM
In the case of The Gunslinger, this may be one of the "stolen" copies. It should come with letter from Donald Grant Publishers stating this was one of the "stolen" copies but recovered.

Value? (I wouldn't want one.)

Brice
04-27-2011, 05:05 AM
I think I need the pc, lettered, numbered, author's copy, etc. of EVERY book. :unsure: First I need to win the lottery though.

Cook
04-27-2011, 05:08 AM
So the one currently listed on ebay is stolen?
He/She whoever states it's a unmarked PC copy with references to George Beahm's Collectibles book, I really confused on this.

Tito_Villa
04-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Thanks ELazansky

Randall Flagg
04-27-2011, 05:49 AM

Thanks in advance
McSweeney's does odd format magazines.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1303912061-IMG_2722.JPG

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5140/s27k.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1303912046-IMG_2721.JPG

Ric
04-27-2011, 05:55 AM
He/She whoever states it's a unmarked PC copy with references to George Beahm's Collectibles book, I really confused on this.

The one listed on eBay was stolen back in '82 when Grant was printing them. A case ( I believe) went missing and remained unaccounted for until after the books were numbered and shipped out. When they were subsequently recovered, they couldn't be numbered so they were left as "out of series" copies, which are identical to the regular S/L, only they are lacking a number. To me this is a scary proposition as there is nothing (other than perceived scarcity) to prevent an unscrupulous seller from taking one of these "out of series" books and writing in any number (or letter) they wanted, creating duplication in the market. I don't know of any cases where this has happened, but it seems a possibility. In my opinion, Grant should have marked these books as specifically "out of series" on the limitation page to prevent something like this from ever occurring.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Thanks for posting that Ric. Saved me doing it. Grant keeps records of who has what number and what letter. So the forger would be easily caught.

Cook
04-27-2011, 05:22 PM

The one listed on eBay was stolen back in '82 when Grant was printing them. A case ( I believe) went missing and remained unaccounted for until after the books were numbered and shipped out. When they were subsequently recovered, they couldn't be numbered so they were left as "out of series" copies, which are identical to the regular S/L, only they are lacking a number. To me this is a scary proposition as there is nothing (other than perceived scarcity) to prevent an unscrupulous seller from taking one of these "out of series" books and writing in any number (or letter) they wanted, creating duplication in the market. I don't know of any cases where this has happened, but it seems a possibility. In my opinion, Grant should have marked these books as specifically "out of series" on the limitation page to prevent something like this from ever occurring.

Ric,
Right up front I want to make clear the book I mentioned for sale on eBay is not mine. I have no vested interest in that particular listing. (buying or selling)
I completely understand the fact of the "Stolen Copies" but I still am confused about George Beahm's statement in his book " An indeterminate number of copies designed as presentation copies (probably 25 or less) signed (but not numbered), and no slipcase."
I guess my question is: How does one differentiate between the two. are there any markings designating "Presentation".

Please if anybody else has any additional details or facts, I would love to hear them.

idlewarnings
04-27-2011, 05:31 PM

There's a thread on it here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11906-Castle-Rock-Newsletter-index)

Thanks, Ric. And thanks to Shannon for emailing me his list.

Shannon
04-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I think I need the pc, lettered, numbered, author's copy, etc. of EVERY book.

lol, did we just become best friends!? Let's go do karate in the garage!

You speak my language, broseph.

Ric
04-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Ric,
Right up front I want to make clear the book I mentioned for sale on eBay is not mine. I have no vested interest in that particular listing. (buying or selling)
I completely understand the fact of the "Stolen Copies" but I still am confused about George Beahm's statement in his book " An indeterminate number of copies designed as presentation copies (probably 25 or less) signed (but not numbered), and no slipcase."
I guess my question is: How does one differentiate between the two. are there any markings designating "Presentation".

Please if anybody else has any additional details or facts, I would love to hear them.

He's talking about the same books. Grant couldn't number the books once recovered, so they became "Presentation copies." Grant did not indicate them as such on the limitation page but rather provided a letter detailing the provenance of the book if you ordered one directly from them back in '82.

Cook
04-28-2011, 05:02 AM

Ric,

He's talking about the same books. Grant couldn't number the books once recovered, so they became "Presentation copies." Grant did not indicate them as such on the limitation page but rather provided a letter detailing the provenance of the book if you ordered one directly from them back in '82.

Ok, Now I understand.
Thank you for taking the time to explain this.
My interest is because I too own a copy and never gave it much thought.
I thought it pretty cool and unique to have a blank one. (25 or so is a pretty small number)
And yes it is still blank, obviously to forge one would be utterly ridiculous.
So If anyone is keeping records, feel free to add me to that list.
Thanks

Jimimck
04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi guys.
Does anyone have any info on King movie kits? I see these items listed and just wondering if they are very sort after, or if the price is about right?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-371954384.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-372241337.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-372252395.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-372500911.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-371959244.htm

Any info would be appreciated
James

Room 217 Caretaker
04-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi guys.
Does anyone have any info on King movie kits? I see these items listed and just wondering if they are very sort after, or if the price is about right?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-371954384.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-372241337.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-372252395.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-372500911.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Fiction-literature/Horror/Author-JL/auction-371959244.htm

James

Just my opinion but I personally think each one is overpriced by....oh.......about $100. But, I don't collect these so my value opinion could be way off. For someone that collects movie memorabilia, these could be valuable but I'm leaning to the side of way overpriced.

Mulleins

Jimimck
04-28-2011, 04:24 PM
I should point out the dollars are in NZD, which reduces them a bit for you in the States. Mind you, if your currency keeps getting weaker, good news for me when I keep buying in USD!!!

jhanic
04-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Do you know what the relationship is between the US $ and the NZ $?

As Ralph said, they seem overpriced by quite a bit.

John

Jimimck
04-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Going my way, the exchange is about .8 ($100USD costs me about $125)

Going the other way, the exchange rate is about 1.23 ($100NZD will cost you about $81)

The 10 year average is about .62, and so anything around .8 for me is awesome when buying in USD.

jhanic
04-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks. That means that those movie kits are still rather overpriced.

John

Jimimck
04-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't even sure if it was something I wanted to start buying but now I know they aren't cheap, I'll stay clear.
Cheers

Ric
04-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know where to get the "second edition" of Rocky Wood's "Complete Guide to the Works of Stephen King" CD-ROM? I've had the first edition for years (see pictures), but I never got the second edition because I figured a third was just around the corner. Needless to say, I am without the second edition now. Anyone know where to get one? eBay has none and even a Google search only turns up references, not any for sale.

http://www.ricperrott.com/pictures/guide_cd1.jpg
http://www.ricperrott.com/pictures/guide_cd2.jpg
http://www.ricperrott.com/pictures/guide_cd3.jpg

jhanic
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Ric, Have you tried Rocky directly? If you need his email, PM me.

John

Merlin1958
04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Just curious, but what exactly makes a "Lettered Edition" in your mind? Aside from the obvious S/L. I mean in regard to the artists involved. What's you're overall thinking when discussing "Lettered Artist" editions? Just wondering.

:orely::orely::orely:

biomieg
04-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Do you have a specific title in mind, Bill?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Just curious, but what exactly makes a "Lettered Edition" in your mind? Aside from the obvious S/L. I mean in regard to the artists involved. What's you're overall thinking when discussing "Lettered Artist" editions? Just wondering.

IMO:
An official release by the publisher, which has the Lettered information printed on the CP page, is much more desirable than an aftermarket, unofficial book in which the artist has drawn on.

herbertwest
04-30-2011, 03:05 AM
Hi guys.

James

Just my opinion but I personally think each one is overpriced by....oh.......about $100. But, I don't collect these so my value opinion could be way off. For someone that collects movie memorabilia, these could be valuable but I'm leaning to the side of way overpriced.

Mulleins

I am collecting movie press kits. I have alll of those, and trust me i didnt pay $81 for any of them.
I dont keep track of the price i pay, but i believe that i payed about $25-35 for each of them.

super sam
05-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Is there a second printing of the UK ed. Under the dome?

Niels
05-01-2011, 05:11 AM
Does anyone have a picture available of the Satyricon II program book with the story of "The Return of Timmy Baterman"?

Anyone have an estimated value?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-01-2011, 07:11 AM

I think it is on the fourteenth printing now. They print small batches in the UK. That way they don't get returns.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Does anyone have a picture available of the Satyircon II program book with the story of "The Return of Timmy Baterman"?

I bought one for £15, and sold it July 2009 for £31.99 ($53)

super sam
05-01-2011, 10:11 AM

I think it is on the fourteenth printing now. They print small batches in the UK. That way they don't get returns.

Ok,thanks for the info!

Niels
05-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Does anyone have a picture available of the Satyircon II program book with the story of "The Return of Timmy Baterman"?

I bought one for £15, and sold it July 2009 for £31.99 ($53)

Received this picture from a seller.
http://i56.tinypic.com/np2wsn.jpg

Damn, tiny booklet. Asking price $45.

olverts
05-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Anyone purchased books from a seller on Amazon and Abe called "owlsbooks (Hammond, IN, U.S.A.)" ?
Found Cycle of the werewolf portfolio on Amazon and just had to buy it for $68 , later i found the same seller listing it on Abe for $1000
Do you think i will receive the right item ?

super sam
05-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Niels, if you don´t want the booklet, PM me and i will buy it. Thanks!

biomieg
05-02-2011, 03:24 AM
I would also be interested, Niels (but Sam was first).

Hannes, I sure hope you will be getting the true portfolio - $68 would be an awesome deal! I don't think it's worth $1,000 but I may be mistaken.

olverts
05-02-2011, 03:48 AM
The $1000 listing on abe is removed now , mailed and asked them if it really is the portfolio.
Just have to wait and see :)

Most portfolios listed is between $500 - $1000 , anyone have an oppinion how much they are worth ?

Niels
05-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Sorry guys... couldn't resist.

olverts
05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I would also be interested, Niels (but Sam was first).

Hannes, I sure hope you will be getting the true portfolio - $68 would be an awesome deal! I don't think it's worth $1,000 but I may be mistaken.

Just got this reply so atleast i get my money back if it´s not the portfolio :)

Hello, Unfortunately, our inventory is stored out in a warehouse and because I'm not personally familiar with this item, I'm unable to sufficiently answer your question. I apologize for any inconvenience to you. Rest assured that if the item is not as described in the listing, we will be happy to make amends. Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Thank you for shopping with us and have a great day! Sincerely,

But shipping time is between 21 and 42 days :( so it´s a long wait

biomieg
05-04-2011, 04:33 AM
For all you UK edition connaisseurs:

I'm looking for a nice DEAD ZONE copy. Most of them are either priceclipped, sunfaded or both. I contacted some sellers who claimed their books didn't have sunfaded spines but so far, no luck - all of them were affected in various degrees and most have yellowish letters on the spine instead of orange.

Is it really going to be hard to find a copy with a fine, unfaded DJ? If you guys tell me I shouldn't bother I will probably take one that is in less-than-pristine condition but I don't want to spend too much money now only to find out later that I could have had a better deal!

carlosdetweiller
05-04-2011, 04:42 AM

I'm looking for a nice DEAD ZONE copy. Most of them are either priceclipped, sunfaded or both. I contacted some sellers who claimed their books didn't have sunfaded spines but so far, no luck - all of them were affected in various degrees and most have yellowish letters on the spine instead of orange.

Is it really going to be hard to find a copy with a fine, unfaded DJ? If you guys tell me I shouldn't bother I will probably take one that is in less-than-pristine condition but I don't want to spend too much money now only to find out later that I could have had a better deal!

Unfaded ones are out there. I'd hold out for one in the condition that you want. As a lot of us have said in the past, "settling" for something is usually wasted money. You (meaning me too) are never satisfied with the book you "settle" for and continue to look for the copy that you want. So you really haven't gained anything. You are still looking. When you finally get the copy that you want you try to sell the less than perfect copy and find out that nobody else wants it either.

biomieg
05-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Yes, I agree with you. I'm currently in the process of cleaning out/upgrading all books that I 'settled for' in the past. Well, maybe that's not the right word since I got them long before I ever considered myself a collector and at the time I genuinely did not care.

I'm glad to hear that nice copies are still out there. I'll keep on looking for one.

LadyHitchhiker
05-04-2011, 05:06 AM
I love my battered copies, because then I know they are truly loved.

biomieg
05-04-2011, 05:52 AM
I love my girlfriend very much but I try to keep her in at least near fine condition.

carlosdetweiller
05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
I love my girlfriend very much but I try to keep her in at least near fine condition.

Exactly. What good would "mint" or "near mint" be?

Cook
05-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Michael,

I'll look when I get home from work
I believe I might have what your looking for.

Cook
05-05-2011, 04:06 AM

Michaël,

I'm sorry, no UK Dead Zone after all.
I really thought I had one, I will try to send you Pics of my other UK 1st this weekend.

-My apologies

biomieg
05-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Unfaded ones are out there. I'd hold out for one in the condition that you want.

Well, I didn't have to wait very long. I thought that Greg Hurlstone had sold all of his scarcer King trade editions a long time ago but he listed a fantastic DEAD ZONE copy this afternoon. Now it's mine (well, I still have to pay for it and he has to send it to me, but...).

I got it for 25% less than the ABE price, too.

Jimimck
05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice pick up Michaël. I was checking local sites here, but thety were all in pretty average condition at best!.

biomieg
05-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks, James! I'd trust you to look for a good deal on a nice book any time considering your awesome UK 'SALEM'S LOT copy. Guess I just got lucky today.

Ben Staad
05-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Unfaded ones are out there. I'd hold out for one in the condition that you want.

Well, I didn't have to wait very long. I thought that Greg Hurlstone had sold all of his scarcer King trade editions a long time ago but he listed a fantastic DEAD ZONE copy this afternoon. Now it's mine (well, I still have to pay for it and he has to send it to me, but...).

I got it for 25% less than the ABE price, too.

Is this the same Greg H that runs MHB Press?

biomieg
05-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes.

Tito_Villa
05-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm thinking of getting one of his books in the near future, they look proper nice productions!

Ben Staad
05-06-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm thinking of getting one of his books in the near future, they look proper nice productions!

His books are very high quality. I've only purchased two of his collectors editions but the higher end books look fantastic.

shibus
05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
A question if I may. I just received this today. It's now my third copy dated on 7/17/82. I have a few more dated a little later in the year but was hoping someone might share one that was dated any earlier. Thanx in advance. You guys be safe.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/diffseas.JPG

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/diffseas02.JPG

carlosdetweiller
05-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I've got a few signed and/or inscribed copies but my earliest is 7/25/82. My records (by no means authoritative) have the "official" publication date is 8/27/82.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I bought DIFFERENT SEASONS in July of 1982 if that helps.

Merlin1958
05-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Mine is dated in early '83. Sorry

Room 217 Caretaker
05-09-2011, 02:32 AM
My old spreadsheet (typed on an electric IBM Selectric II elite), shows August 27, 1982. I never kept my receipts.

For all the youngsters here, yes we had power in 1982.

Mulleins

Ben Staad
05-09-2011, 03:27 AM
My old spreadsheet (typed on an electric IBM Selectric II elite), shows August 27, 1982. I never kept my receipts.

For all the youngsters here, yes we had power in 1982.

Mulleins

I know you had power but...wouldn't it have been easier to type this into your macbook? :)

Shannon
05-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey guys, I have a question ... Frankenstein ... I've seen a few different versions with King writing an intro or a foreword or something ... But are they different essays or is it the same essay used in different productions? For example:

Is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANKENSTEIN-FORWARD-STEPHEN-KING-NEW-SEALED-RARE-/290564283015?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item43a6fb1a87

the same as this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frankenstein-Intro-Stephen-King-/330562063687?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item4cf708cd47

If not ... Which one is the first appearance of that intro/foreword/essay? Thanks. :)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Don't forget the King signed version...

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/frank.jpg

Shannon
05-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Lol, I didn't forget it, I was just wondering if he wrote two different intros/forewords to the different versions or if both (I guess, three ... four! With the omnibus) use the same essay ...

Shannon

Ben Staad
05-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Hey guys, I have a question ... Frankenstein ... I've seen a few different versions with King writing an intro or a foreword or something ... But are they different essays or is it the same essay used in different productions? For example:

Is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANKENSTEIN-FORWARD-STEPHEN-KING-NEW-SEALED-RARE-/290564283015?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item43a6fb1a87

the same as this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frankenstein-Intro-Stephen-King-/330562063687?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item4cf708cd47

If not ... Which one is the first appearance of that intro/foreword/essay? Thanks. :)

I'm sure other members have additional info but....the two editions you list above are exactly the same essays from Mr. King. The essay itself is dated October 6th, 1982 and I believe it was writing specifically for the Marvel Comics edition of Frankenstein (your second listing). As to if this is the first appearance of the essay I am not sure....

The Road Virus
05-13-2011, 04:32 AM
I am just deciding to start collecting King books + comics, I have always been an avid fan and reader but am lost in terms of this kind of a collection.

Can anyone give me some ideas/tips on where to start with this project, keeping in mind it is a US collection and at least starting out (next year or so) my budget will be limited. Any help is greatly appreciated!

ELazansky
05-13-2011, 04:50 AM
I am just deciding to start collecting King books + comics, I have always been an avid fan and reader but am lost in terms of this kind of a collection.

Can anyone give me some ideas/tips on where to start with this project, keeping in mind it is a US collection and at least starting out (next year or so) my budget will be limited. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would start with the US First Editions. Don't go after the limited, signed, gift editions first. Most of the First Editions can be found at reasonable prices, until you get back to the first 5 books. Once you have solid base built, then you can branch out into some of the special editions if money allows.

biomieg
05-13-2011, 05:03 AM
Eric's advice is sound. Also, you may want to check out the King Collectibles Catalog here and the website www.stephenkingcollector.com for information on how to identify all the first trade editions. It totally depends on your collecting goals but I would advise you to read a lot, educate yourself on the differences between first editons/first printings, book club editions, the significance of number lines etcetera.

The bottom line is that you should simply collect what you like, but I know from experience that your standards may change over the years and in that case you may end up 'upgrading' a lot of books because you're not satisfied with their condition or because they're not 'true' first editions (which is what I'm doing now). So you might just as well do it 'right' from the beginning.

This part of the forum is a veritable collectors' heaven so if you have any questions, just ask!

The Road Virus
05-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Where can I read up on the information you are describing (the standards)?

Thanks Eric and Bio for the advice, I think my plan right now is to get the DT comics first while I educate myself more on the book information. Also, is there a place where you can buy first editions like pre-order or when they come out? I'm asking because I would like to do this for my first ("collector") books probably on King's upcoming books.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Hey guys, I have a question ... Frankenstein ... I've seen a few different versions with King writing an intro or a foreword or something ... But are they different essays or is it the same essay used in different productions?

Which one is the first appearance of that intro/foreword/essay? Thanks. :)

I'm sure other members have additional info but....the two editions you list above are exactly the same essays from Mr. King. The essay itself is dated October 6th, 1982 and I believe it was writing specifically for the Marvel Comics edition of Frankenstein (your second listing). As to if this is the first appearance of the essay I am not sure....

The essays are the same in all versions. The picture I posted is of the Dodd, Mead & Co. version. This was the first appearance of the essay.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Where can I read up on the information you are describing (the standards)?
Also, is there a place where you can buy first editions like pre-order or when they come out? I'm asking because I would like to do this for my first ("collector") books probably on King's upcoming books.

There is info on first editions in this thread.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1323-HOW-TO-Identify-First-Editions-and-First-Printings.

New editions can be ordered in advance at Amazon. Many of us get our trade editions from them.

Cook
05-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Question on DT VII Signed Artist edition,
Why did the artist edition have different color ink for the signature?
Is one more desirable than the other or are there more than 2 different colors?

frik
05-14-2011, 08:07 PM
YOU decide what's desirable!

sk

Cook
05-14-2011, 08:14 PM
YOU decide what's desirable!

sk

??
...I meant from a collecting (value) viewpoint.

jhanic
05-15-2011, 03:30 AM
I simply have one of each color, red or black. I also have one with an Eye and one with a sketch.

John

Rahfa
05-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I have never seen any price difference in the ink color.

An 'eye' or 'ka' symbol is slightly more desirable, but are not so rare that it adds significant value.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-15-2011, 10:59 AM
I did not know Whelan signed in two different colors. What would be a good price to pay for that book right now? I have a red ink version, so would need a black.

biomieg
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I didn't know that either (I also have a red-inked sig). Any ideas about the ratio red-black?

Ric
05-15-2011, 11:47 AM
My AE is signed in black. What's interesting to me regarding ink colors is that in my DTIII S/L King signed in green ink. Is that common?

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-15-2011, 11:54 AM
My WASTELANDS is signed in black ink.

carlosdetweiller
05-15-2011, 12:43 PM
I did not know Whelan signed in two different colors. What would be a good price to pay for that book right now? I have a red ink version, so would need a black.

This is the first I have heard of Whelan signing in two colors of ink. Mine are signed in brown/red ink. Strangely, I feel no compulsion to seek out a black ink version. I must be getting old.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm old too but I'm still full of strange compulsions. Now I feel like seeing what color ink all my DT books are signed in, but I'm NOT going to take the shrinkwrap off of the ones still in it.

jhanic
05-15-2011, 02:30 PM
I have a total of five DT VII Artist's Editions. Two are signed in black ink. One is in red, one is red with the Ka symbol and the other is red with a sketch. I think the sketch adds a little to the value, but the Ka or the other ink colors don't make much difference. Here's the sketch:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_items/DTVIIArtistseditionremarque.jpg

John

Cook
05-15-2011, 04:03 PM

This is the first I have heard of Whelan signing in two colors of ink. Mine are signed in brown/red ink. Strangely, I feel no compulsion to seek out a black ink version. I must be getting old.

Brown?
So Brown, Red & Black.. ..Hmmm
What have we started.

Randall Flagg
05-15-2011, 04:33 PM
You missed Gold....

Cook
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
You missed Gold....

Seriously?

biomieg
05-15-2011, 09:23 PM
I think brown/red are the same in this case.

Pasiuk57
05-16-2011, 03:58 AM
I too have a gold signed Whelan

CRinVA
05-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Mine is black!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/0171.JPG

Cook
05-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Are we still discussing just the Artist trade edition?

jhanic
05-16-2011, 08:18 AM
I think we're discussing the Artist Edition. The actual trade edition was published by Scribner.

John

herbertwest
05-16-2011, 10:40 AM
So... who will be hunting for all the different colors of ink? :p:

WeDealInLead
05-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Who is user screw-jack on eBay? He always bids on EVERY of my auctions but never buys a thing. I don't want people to think he's jacking up prices for me. He's from Canada too so some bidders might stay away from my auctions because of it. I mean, I'm glad there is interest and action on the books but I don't want it to seem fishy.

Ric
05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Put him in your blocked bidders list

Rahfa
05-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Who is user screw-jack on eBay? He always bids on EVERY of my auctions but never buys a thing. I don't want people to think he's jacking up prices for me. He's from Canada too so some bidders might stay away from my auctions because of it. I mean, I'm glad there is interest and action on the books but I don't want it to seem fishy.

Does he never win? Or do you have reserve prices or something?

If he's a legit bidder, I wouldn't worry about it...it does help to have some action, although it COULD seem a little sketchy. If he's not always the second place bidder, or otherwise affecting every final outcome, I think it's fine.

WeDealInLead
05-16-2011, 01:15 PM
His recent feedback is for a Seiko watch, uncirculated Canadian dollar bill, Madonna 'Sex' book. Not a single King item. His feedback is over 300 at 100% though.

For the most part, I do have reserves but so far they've all been met. They're very reasonable and bottom line prices or I might as well give the books away.

Rahfa
05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Sounds okay...if people are meeting reserves, and he's not always the second-place bidder I don't think anyone would think it's sketchy.

I used to a pretty regular bidder on Hutch's auctions back in the day...but almost never won! Some people like to bid for amusement, knowing full well they won't win the auction...let 'em! Haha...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Who is user screw-jack on eBay?

Tim Millar

Randall Flagg
05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Oh no.

WeDealInLead
05-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm not familiar with that name.

WeDealInLead
05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
I checked last 3 King S/Ls I sold. He bid on all 3 but peaced out at $111. All books had at least 10 bidders and ended at $275 and up.

Jimimck
05-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Maybe he was just testing the waters to see if he could find an absolute bargain?

**EDIT** Just read Jeromes post below. Yeah, I don't think he was just hunting for a bargain. Maybe hunting out books with legit signatures? lol

Randall Flagg
05-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Tim Miller= Flatsigned
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?8889-Flatsigned-and-Stephen-King-%28All-threads-regarding-Flatsigned%29

George at C-Springs
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Anybody happen to know the date that the trade HC of Danse Macabre was released back in 1981? I checked the catalog but only see the year there.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-16-2011, 02:14 PM
According to my notes DANSE MACABRE was released April, 1981 in trade hardcover format by Everest house.

Randall Flagg
05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
According to my notes DANSE MACABRE was released April, 1981 in trade hardcover format by Everest house.
Receipt or other verifying material?-I just want the Catalog to be correct.

EDIT: Our list shows 4/20/1981
Link: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?3555-Stephen-King-Book-Release-Dates-List

divemaster
05-16-2011, 02:36 PM

I bid on quite a few auctions I know I won't win. There's usually a simple explanation--my eBay watch list is often capped out at 200 items, so by bidding on, say, 10 Reserve auctions (or low low starting bid auctions), I can keep track of that many more King items. Plus, it's fun to bid even with no expectation of winning.

Of course I'm not stalking any one particular seller. And I do hit an auction with sincerity if I'm after the item. Got one like that current (and still winning, cross my fingers...)

Cook
05-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Anybody happen to know the date that the trade HC of Danse Macabre was released back in 1981? I checked the catalog but only see the year there.

Why the angry faces on #73?

Rahfa
05-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Who is user screw-jack on eBay?

Tim Millar

Haha....well, he does sell books, so I guess he has to buy them now and again.

WeDealInLead
05-17-2011, 05:06 AM
Someone from Saudi fucking Arabia used BIN on Skeleton Crew S/L. The listing clearly stated no international shipping.

biomieg
05-17-2011, 06:20 AM
I think there's a setting that makes it physically impossible to place bids and/or use the BIN option from locations that a seller does not ship to (I've run into it many times while trying to place a bid).

It's a bit confusing though. In every eBay listing you can see the shipping destinations but even when it says USA or Canada only, you can still bid unless the seller has also somehow activated the other restriction setting (I don't know how it works, by the way, I don't sell on eBay).

George at C-Springs
05-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Why the angry faces on #73?

My order for LSOE S/L #73 was cancelled, r'cvd notice yesterday. Not pleased. More ranting over in the TWTTK thread.

George at C-Springs
05-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Receipt or other verifying material?-I just want the Catalog to be correct.

EDIT: Our list shows 4/20/1981
Link: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ase-Dates-List

I asked the question because of this auction, which ended an hour or so ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=260782428428&si=BVPAOGEJhAhzOmunwTCWabeE%252FYk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I decided not to bid, even though to me the signature and inscription looks good. It's dated April 14, 1981, a full 6 days before the release date accordng to the catalog, so either it's verification of a new earliest date (possibility at a book signing I suppose), or it's BS. Somebody grabbed it for $129 though, might have been a good deal. That's okay, need to save my pennies for LSOE and TWTTK.

biomieg
05-17-2011, 11:44 AM
I think it was a legit signature and I also believe that there have been other occasions where collectors here obtained books with inscriptions/sigs dated prior to the 'official' release date. But I certainly understand your hesitation!

Room 217 Caretaker
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
It was legit. I have a Danse signed/inscribed almost 30 days prior to the April 20th release. Signed March 28th, 1981.

Someone got a great deal.

King must have done something around that time involving birthdays. That is the third inscription in a Danse where King is wishing a happy birthday.

Mulleins

shibus
05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
I would say legit too. And in nice condition. Easy enough to marry up to a nice DJ. That's why I got it.

Earliest signed are my grails. Here's a Danse the day before yours Ralph. I've been trying to acquire one for some time now that I know is a few days before this.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/dms8.JPG

Room 217 Caretaker
05-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Very nice Greg.

Ric
05-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Nice Greg! Any inscription to Robert Bloch is automatically awesome!

shibus
05-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Nice Greg! Any inscription to Robert Bloch is automatically awesome!

An opportunity to post one of my Favorites. I've shown this before.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/shin7.JPG

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/shining2.JPG

George at C-Springs
05-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I would say legit too. And in nice condition. Easy enough to marry up to a nice DJ. That's why I got it.

Yep, I thought that s++h was you; congrats!

carlosdetweiller
05-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Greg (shibus) has some great stuff. He's hard to beat when it comes to getting the earliest possible dated signature on a book. I don't think I have beat him yet. But I'm still trying!

biomieg
05-18-2011, 04:06 AM
I think Greg should start a Collection Thread. I know he buys and sells a lot but there must be a 'core collection' there that's really impressive. Come on, Greg! Help us out here!

Randall Flagg
05-18-2011, 06:12 AM
I agree.

Cook
05-18-2011, 07:39 AM
I would love to be impressed with another astounding collection so I can feel small & puny.
Just kidding, I agree let's see it !

Tito_Villa
05-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Where is it, where is it ... let me see!!!

shibus
05-18-2011, 08:10 AM
A number of years ago I fell off a roof at a fire and jacked up my shoulder pretty bad. After surgery I found myself sitting on my ass most of the days just healing so with all the free time on my hands I attempted to put together a little webpage.

http://www.angelfire.com/sk2/ranebyrd/index.html

My first try and it has hours and hours of time in it. Haven't had the time to do it again here really.

Kinda low bid and cheesey by today's standards and stuck with ads but it has most of what I have (or had). My interest in recent years (other than reading every one as soon as it comes out) has drifted to the more unique, obscure and early and believe me when I come across something cool you guys are the first to see it. I've passed on adding any of the newer Limited or Trades to my collection for sometime now so that's why it appears not have been updated for awhile.

The Road Virus
05-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Shibus, that Shining book is incredible. I'd really enjoy seeing a collection thread if/when you get chance

PS sorry bout your accident (even though it was years ago)

Randall Flagg
05-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Some impressive stuff. I like the Lettered Firestarter, and Lettered Regulators.

biomieg
05-18-2011, 09:30 AM
What Jerome said. Very nice! Did you ever manage to get a Doubleday NIGHT SHIFT and/or THE STAND proof, Greg?

Tito_Villa
05-18-2011, 10:12 AM
An incredible collection, personally i love the British 1st editions!

shibus
05-18-2011, 12:07 PM
What Jerome said. Very nice! Did you ever manage to get a Doubleday NIGHT SHIFT and/or THE STAND proof, Greg?

If you hold your cursor over an image of a Book or Magazine a little pop-up appears with some info. You'll notice the Carrie, Salem's Lot and Shining on the Proof page are images courtesy of Dave (Hutch). Although I did eventually get a Carrie I never did own any of the other Doubleday Proofs.

biomieg
05-18-2011, 12:24 PM
For some reason the pop-ups don't work for me (must be a browser issue). Thanks for the info!

Cook
05-18-2011, 01:44 PM
shibus,
yeah, after seeing your collection, thats how I thought I'd feel.. small & puny.
seriously, very nice indeed.

Fsmdr
05-22-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm curious as to why it is so common for early UK 1st have a 'R' stamped on the tittle page?. Is it 'R' as in refuse?. It's too bad....there's so many close to Fine copies out there except for that stamp.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
It means "Remaindered"

biomieg
05-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Are there really that many UK 1st in NF/F condition with remainder stamps? I've never come across one (I think).

Bev Vincent
05-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Don't be so hasty to assume it always means "remaindered." I did a quick search last night and found that some UK publishers (e.g. Reinhardt) used circle-R on the copyright page to denote first editions.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Don't be so hasty to assume it always means "remaindered." I did a quick search last night and found that some UK publishers (e.g. Reinhardt) used circle-R on the copyright page to denote first editions.

New English Library don't.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Are there really that many UK 1st in NF/F condition with remainder stamps? I've never come across one (I think).

King was not very well know or popular in the "New English Library" days. Most of these books were either sent to libraries or remaindered.

The books in the UK are no longer "remaindered", as there are now specific shops to sell the books which the major chains cannot sell.

biomieg
05-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know how scarce/common the Gauntlet HE IS LEGEND uncorrected proof is? I got one recently but I don't think I've seen another for sale except one that's listed on the Betts website right now (I'm assuming that's the Gauntlet proof and not the TOR proof). That one is $165 and that's been discounted already, I think.

I was sort of bummed out at first because I only got it so I could read 'Throttle' and I thought there was no trade edition of the book (but apparently there is). But now it seems like I got something reasonably scarce without looking for it. It's in new and unread condition, too.

jhanic
05-24-2011, 11:57 AM
According to my records, there were:

20 for Club99 Members
10 total for editor, King, Hill, Matheson
10 for sale and/or to give away
35 to reviewers (these are all stamped "Not For Sale" and also have a hole punch in the back cover

I'm not sure how many of the Tor proofs were issued.

John

biomieg
05-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks, John, So apparently it's not that scarce. Was this info posted online somewhere or did you get it from the publisher?

jhanic
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I think I got it from the publisher.

John

BigCoffinHunter
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Some impressive stuff. I like the Lettered Firestarter, and Lettered Regulators.

I'd say my Lettered Regulators is probably my favorite King limited, although I really love the zippered Skeleton Crew as well. Unfortunately I've never seen a Lettered Firestarter up close :(

frik
05-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I'd say my Lettered Regulators is probably my favorite King limited[/QUOTE]

One day I hope to be able to say the same thing.
It's #1 on my want list.

sk

Tito_Villa
05-25-2011, 06:43 AM
What sort of price would i be looking at in the future for decent copies of 1st editions of

Carrie
Salem's Lot
Night Shift
UK Shining

Thanks

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Just as for the US editions, it depends on quality. The price differencealone between Fine and VG could be $1000 for each book.

Tito_Villa
05-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Yeah i can't afford fine copies but i would like if possible ot eventually get my hands on very good ones!

olverts
05-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a chance to buy WHISPERS Volume 5 S/L for $115 in almost new condition
Is that a good price ?
The ones listed on abe are $200 and up
Thanks in advance !

carlosdetweiller
05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Is that a good price ?
Thanks in advance !

I think that is a reasonable price. I don't think I have ever seen one sell cheaper.

WeDealInLead
05-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Does the slipcase for Postscripts with Hill and King has lettering on it or is it just a plain cloth slipcase?

Thanks

olverts
05-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Is that a good price ?
Thanks in advance !

I think that is a reasonable price. I don't think I have ever seen one sell cheaper.

Ok , just bought it :)
Thanks for the help

carlosdetweiller
05-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Does the slipcase for Postscripts with Hill and King has lettering on it or is it just a plain cloth slipcase?

Thanks

Gold color with black lettering on the spine only. Front and back of slipcase have no lettering.

Dolso
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Posted in another thread by Justincase...

" I love the Less Than Human lettered.. the grey paper and the colored lettering (I think Joe Lansdale does the intro..). Never got a wooden coffin either but Dave did get me a dust jacket for it from the regular limited instead. Overlook Connection made some amazing stuff back then. I wonder if Dave ever made a lettered of Micheal Marshall Smith's classic novel Spares... it was supposed to be a wooden case with frosted glass lit and a "hand" etched into the frosted glass somehow. I remember seeing some kind of prototype designs. I love the limited (had extra and expunged chapter as I recall)

Phil"

If this is the same one you're talking about......signed by M.M. Smith, Neil Gaiman, and Alan Clark?
Is this the case you were talking about?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Spares_Slip_2_50_.JPG

Then this was engraved on the back side of the slip case.....

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/Spares_engraving_3_doc.JPG

WeDealInLead
05-25-2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks

Gold color with black lettering on the spine only. Front and back of slipcase have no lettering.

Thanks! That just made up my mind as to what edition I'll be getting. I'd have gone with a non-slipcased edition if it were just a plain cloth slipcase. Not a fan of those considering the mark up.

surly
05-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I always seem to post things that have already covered -- for the record, I always search first but never seem to find anything.
Anyhow, this must have come up before but has anyone every successfully replaced the battery in MY PRETTY PONY? I'd love to try but if I muck it up there's no turning back.

carlosdetweiller
05-25-2011, 06:20 PM
I always seem to post things that have already covered -- for the record, I always search first but never seem to find anything.
Anyhow, this must have come up before but has anyone every successfully replaced the battery in MY PRETTY PONY? I'd love to try but if I muck it up there's no turning back.

Yes. I have done it. The cover comes off easily and the "clock" comes right out. It is about the cheapest timepiece you could ever imagine. But then no one was ever really supposed to see it. It seemed pretty fragile to me so I took it to a jewelry store where I knew the people and had them pop out the old battery and put in the new one. It's simple to do. Just be really careful (I know I don't need to say this) not to scratch the outer finish of the book while you are taking it apart or putting it back together.

surly
05-25-2011, 06:24 PM
well, that boosts my confidence a little. thanks Bob, i'll give it a try.

Rahfa
05-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I think I read somewhere thatin Pretty Pony, "the battery was expected to wear out and was part of the book's charm" or something equally pretentious...so I don't think it would affect value or anything.

But, like Bob did, if you have a working clock, that puts you one up on everyone else...

WeDealInLead
05-29-2011, 03:18 PM
My copy of The Waste Lands S/L comes with a trade edition DJ. Anyone else's the same? I looked at the Grant website for information. They list all DJs that are available and unavailable but there's only one kind of a jacket for TWL S/L.

carlosdetweiller
05-29-2011, 04:06 PM
My copy of The Waste Lands S/L comes with a trade edition DJ. Anyone else's the same? I looked at the Grant website for information. They list all DJs that are available and unavailable but there's only one kind of a jacket for TWL S/L.

That is the way they all are. Yours is OK.

Cook
05-29-2011, 04:47 PM

I posted a photo copy of mine yesterday.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12423-Book-Collection-Cook&p=614105&viewfull=1#post614105

Patrick
05-29-2011, 05:41 PM
well, that boosts my confidence a little. thanks Bob, i'll give it a try.
Throw back a few belts to steady your nerves, then go for it!

oy-the-brave
05-29-2011, 08:02 PM
I think I read somewhere thatin Pretty Pony, "the battery was expected to wear out and was part of the book's charm" or something equally pretentious...so I don't think it would affect value or anything.

But, like Bob did, if you have a working clock, that puts you one up on everyone else...

I would not worry about having a working clock but I definately would replace regularly or remove the battery as they will eventually leak and corode the insides and once that happens it will never work again.

Rahfa
05-30-2011, 05:52 AM

I would not worry about having a working clock but I definately would replace regularly or remove the battery as they will eventually leak and corode the insides and once that happens it will never work again.

Good idea!

I don't own it, so never had to think about it.

east-tennessee
05-31-2011, 02:32 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Black House limited edition, the limitation # is in the 1100's.
My question is if/when a Talisman 3 comes out how many copies do you think King would authorize for the new book?
I would hope to own a Black House Limited in the # range to be quailified to purchase the Talisman 3..that is if Grant is the pubilsher...
With the latest announcement of only 800 of The Wind Through The keyhole I would guess there would 1000 or less of Talisman 3 if it ever comes out......

Thanks Brian.

Ric
05-31-2011, 04:06 PM
If Grant sticks to their standard M.O. then having a Black House won't mean squat when (if?) Talisman 3 comes out. All that will matter is having a S/L edition of whatever the most recent King book Grant had published up to that time. When Black House came out, you had to have a S/L Wizard & Glass to get one. Having a S/L Talisman didn't mean jack.

Jimimck
05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
If Grant sticks to their standard M.O. then having a Black House won't mean squat when (if?) Talisman 3 comes out. All that will matter is having a S/L edition of whatever the most recent King book Grant had published up to that time. When Black House came out, you had to have a S/L Wizard & Glass to get one. Having a S/L Talisman didn't mean jack.

Agree. Of course, question may still be relevant if you are looking to match numbers...

east-tennessee
05-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks...My question should have been do you need the last limited in the series or just the last limited they sold.
I have a low # LSOE and plan to get TWTTK...hopefully ther will be a Talisman 3.....:D

Brian.....