PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Collecting Questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

Randall Flagg
12-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Thank you Brian. Your info and insights are greatly appreciated.

Patrick
12-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Thank you, Brian, for providing that background. Personally I find it all very interesting.

Because this bit of discussion applies to the collecting/publishing world in general, I am going to move it to the Collecting Questions thread.

Thanks again.

herbertwest
12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
thanks a lot for those informations.
But meant.. why did they do that?
Was it an idea of King? Was it an artist that did it, sent it to King, he liked it and asked to do a limited edition...?

Merlin1958
12-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the info Brian. I find it very interesting to know what the "inner" workings behind the items we collect are. As I said I realize there are the contractual and reputation aspects, but I thought there might have been some "official" registration involved, I guess akin to the ISBN.

Again, thanks very much for your response. Very informative

thegreattim
12-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks a bunch for the "behind the scenes" information, Brian! I love that stuff. Publishing is a fascinating business. :-)

...your staff needs copies of the book you published. You also get PCs...
Hmmm... so do you have any job openings? :D

Brian James Freeman
12-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks a bunch for the "behind the scenes" information, Brian! I love that stuff. Publishing is a fascinating business. :-)

"Will Work For Books!" :)

I find publishing, especially the small presses and independent publishers who specialize in collectible books, to be really fascinating. The "behind the scenes" stuff like contract negotiations, pitch sessions and proposals, can be quite interesting, too, if you're into that sort of thing. Watching a project come together from that first email or phone call to the finished product is really quite cool (to someone like me, at least!).

Best,
Brian

Patrick
12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
It does sound like a very interesting process.

By the way, I moved the BLOCKADE BILLY update Q&A over to the CD thread.

jhanic
12-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Patrick. After I posted it, I realized I should have put it in the CD thread.

John

Brice
12-11-2010, 12:26 PM

"Will Work For Books!" :)

I find publishing, especially the small presses and independent publishers who specialize in collectible books, to be really fascinating. The "behind the scenes" stuff like contract negotiations, pitch sessions and proposals, can be quite interesting, too, if you're into that sort of thing. Watching a project come together from that first email or phone call to the finished product is really quite cool (to someone like me, at least!).

Best,
Brian

I know I sure would. :)

Ari_Racing
12-11-2010, 02:43 PM
That's really interesting, Brian! Someday I hope I can work inside one publisher. It must be a unique experience for someone that loves fancy editions. :)

herbertwest
12-17-2010, 11:02 AM
I ordered something from the Overlook Connection quite awhile back. Dave sent it on the 8th of october via US Postal Service ("To ship by Priority Mail is $14.75. We only guarantee shipments by Priority Mail with foreign orders.")...
i still havent recieved it.

How long should it take to arrive oversea? (France)
I emailed Dave about it.. i am waiting his answer, but wanted to have your opinion.

biomieg
12-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Are you sure he actually sent it on the 8th of October? I ask this because my experience with the Overlook Connection is similar - I ordered something which took almost three months to get here. And every other book I buy from the US via eBay takes no more than two, three weeks maximum. I even got a package today from Betts Books which took only six days to get from the US to The Netherlands! So I suspect they are very slow in putting their stuff on the mail.

thegreattim
12-17-2010, 11:18 AM
My experience sending books to the UK/EU via priority overseas mail is that at MAX, it takes 7-10 business days. And I've even seen my packages going to the Middle East and Central Asia take less time than that on occasion... hopefully Dave can shed some light on the situation.

herbertwest
12-17-2010, 11:22 AM
He replied... no reason to alarm according to him, the order was sent as a priority flat rate shipping... Not the first time it happens to him. But he is nice as said that if in january nothing have arrived yet, he'll send the order again (i am surprised if he have more of those but..)

thanks anyway for ur replies

jhanic
12-17-2010, 12:06 PM
My biggest complaint (actually, my only real complaint) with Overlook is that it often takes him a while to send out an item. I've had to wait weeks before I received anything.

John

wizardsrainbow
12-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Question-

local guy offering me a Lettered (PC) copy of Riding the Bullet (signed by King). Issue price is $750. He wants a bit more. Thoughts??? Are any trading in the collector's circle here. Have not heard anything about resale value of this book. Help please.

jhanic
12-17-2010, 12:19 PM
It's too new to come up with a valid number.

John

e_taylor
12-17-2010, 12:23 PM
I honestly don't see this one holding its value. I'd pass at that price.

Randall Flagg
12-17-2010, 01:25 PM
As soon as a member offers you 20% more than $750 it's worth it.:thumbsup:

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I think I've got you all beat. I've been waiting about 15 years for The Overlook Connection to send me a replacement copy of a damaged Richard Matheson book. Maybe I'll give them another week...you never know.

Randall Flagg
12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
I think I've got you all beat. I've been waiting about 15 years for The Overlook Connection to send me a replacement copy of a damaged Richard Matheson book. Maybe I'll give them another week...you never know.
Got you beat. Still waiting for the coffin case for Less Than Human-Gary Raiser. Circa 1991.
Book actually came out in 1993, but coffin was promised years earlier-and later. Finally the book was shipped in 1996 W/O Coffin Case-with a note that case would be sent upon completion. Still waiting.......................

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I sort of guessed at 15 years. I don't even remember what book it was, but I think it was red and maybe (probably) from Gauntlet originally. I lost count of the letters (this happened way before the internet), phone calls and then e-mails I exchanged with them. And I was a good customer before all this happened. As far as I'm concerned, they either owe me the book (as promised) or my $75 back (also as promised). Needless to say, I've never done business with them again and never will. (I know, never say never again, but so far I've stuck to it)

Randall Flagg
12-17-2010, 04:59 PM
I actually have several (old school) hand written notes apologizing for the delay-and promising a quick resolution. To this day I don't understand why they couldn't have had someone else (money I suppose) make the Coffin Boxes. It was a brillaint concept, but like the Dodo bird, it never got off the ground.

Fsmdr
12-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Wiz,

It's harder to resell PC copies. I would pass too. Unless the price is substantially less than $750.

Brian James Freeman
12-17-2010, 05:23 PM

John

Yes, I would wait until some copies hit eBay, etc, before you make any offers, but that's just my personal preference for how I buy books I'm interested in!

Best,
Brian

thegreattim
12-17-2010, 08:29 PM

John

Yes, I would wait until some copies hit eBay, etc, before you make any offers, but that's just my personal preference for how I buy books I'm interested in!

Best,
Brian

Aren't PCs typically a bit cheaper than their lettered / numbered counterparts anyway? So if retail was $750, I'd be really hesitant to pay more this early in the game.

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 08:42 PM

John

Best,
Brian

Aren't PCs typically a bit cheaper than their lettered / numbered counterparts anyway? So if retail was $750, I'd be really hesitant to pay more this early in the game.

Well, I'm no expert like others here, but to me PC's are rarer than the numbered edition as there are fewer to be had. Therefore, more valuable, no? I have a Ron Wood piece that's and AP (Artist Piece) and its worth WAY more than the numbered editions. By like 10 grand!!!!!

thegreattim
12-17-2010, 10:38 PM
I was always under the impression that PCs were cheaper, as in you could "easily" put together a PC set of a given series / publisher, much more so that you could trying to match a particular number or letter. That being said, I'm just a fetal collector, so I could very easily be wrong.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-18-2010, 01:16 AM
The only PC book I have is THE BEST OF PHILIP JOSE FARMER, which I purchased directly from his estate sale. I paid about the same price that the signed, numbered copy of 100 went for, maybe just a bit more.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-18-2010, 05:16 AM
PC copies should not be on sale for the same price as the Lettered. Whoever paid $750 for a PC copy is off his nut.

Pasiuk57
12-18-2010, 05:32 AM
Anyone out there have an extra copy of Secretary of Dreams Proof #1 they want to sell?

Rahfa
12-18-2010, 07:38 AM

John

Best,
Brian

Well, I'm no expert like others here, but to me PC's are rarer than the numbered edition as there are fewer to be had. Therefore, more valuable, no? I have a Ron Wood piece that's and AP (Artist Piece) and its worth WAY more than the numbered editions. By like 10 grand!!!!!

No, an Artist Proof of a piece of artwork is not the same as a PC book.

With a number, there's ONE with that number...with PCs there are no limitations at all...there might be 20, might be 100. There's no uniqeness to it. JMO, but I wouldn't buy a PC at all.

Artist Proof artwork is different - the APs are specifically limited and are a step up from the numbered edition.

Merlin1958
12-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Huh, I didn't think about that way, but it makes perfect sense!! Thx for the info Rahfa!!! Good to know.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2010, 09:43 AM
With a number, there's ONE with that number...with PCs there are no limitations at all...there might be 20, might be 100. There's no uniqeness to it. JMO, but I wouldn't buy a PC at all.

While I can't refute this side of the argument there is an argument to be made for some PCs. For some PCs there are known and accepted limitations. It is commonly accepted that there were 12 PC copies of Grants S/L edition of THE GUNSLINGER. If one were interested in assembling a set of PCs of Grant's S/L editions of THE DARK TOWER there could only be 12 possible sets. There could be 500 possible numbered sets.

I think that if one is only interested in getting ONE copy of a particular S/L book then it would make sense to get a numbered edition. I know when I have ordered a single copy from a dealer/publisher I expect to get a numbered copy and get sort of pissy when I receive a PC copy. This has happened a couple of times with PS Publishing.

But in the past when I have wanted a copy of EVERY state of a particular book it has often been much easier to get the numbered copy and the PC copies require more searching because no matter how you slice it they are always less common than the numbered editions.

thegreattim
12-18-2010, 02:45 PM
...I know when I have ordered a single copy from a dealer/publisher I expect to get a numbered copy and get sort of pissy when I receive a PC copy. This has happened a couple of times with PS Publishing...

Yeah, that has happened to me to with the PCs from PS Publishing. But I've only received them (at least I assume they are PCs - a pink highlighter mark where the number should be...) in the events where they have run sales. So I figure for the 50% discounts, It's not a huge deal I guess. All direct orders for regular full priced books have been filled with a specific numbered edition.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2010, 02:52 PM
...I know when I have ordered a single copy from a dealer/publisher I expect to get a numbered copy and get sort of pissy when I receive a PC copy. This has happened a couple of times with PS Publishing...

Yeah, that has happened to me to with the PCs from PS Publishing. But I've only received them (at least I assume they are PCs - a pink highlighter mark where the number should be...) in the events where they have run sales. So I figure for the 50% discounts, It's not a huge deal I guess. All direct orders for regular full priced books have been filled with a specific numbered edition.

It happened to me with a copy of THE COLORADO KID that I ordered prior to publication through The Overlook Connection. There was a big scramble going on as soon as the book was announced and Dave Hinchberger offered copies at the publication price so I also ordered one through him. When he finally got around to sending it (is anyone slower at getting stuff shipped than The Overlook Connection?) it was a PC copy. I've always gotten what I ordered when I went directly through PS Publishing and on the rare occasion that there is a problem Pete Crowther has ALWAYS made it right.

Patrick
12-18-2010, 02:57 PM
... I've always gotten what I ordered when I went directly through PS Publishing and on the rare occasion that there is a problem Pete Crowther has ALWAYS made it right.
Just echoing this sentiment. The only mistake in my orders that PS has made was the one time they sent me an Artist's Edition of THE COLORADO KID in an S/L slipcase - instead of the S/L that I actually ordered. Pete offered to make it right and I requested a credit for the difference rather than shipping back the slipcased AE (which would have been at his expense). I have since used that credit toward other books without a hitch.

thegreattim
12-18-2010, 11:01 PM
... I've always gotten what I ordered when I went directly through PS Publishing and on the rare occasion that there is a problem Pete Crowther has ALWAYS made it right.
Just echoing this sentiment. The only mistake in my orders that PS has made was the one time they sent me an Artist's Edition of THE COLORADO KID in an S/L slipcase - instead of the S/L that I actually ordered. Pete offered to make it right and I requested a credit for the difference rather than shipping back the slipcased AE (which would have been at his expense). I have since used that credit toward other books without a hitch.

I agree with both of you. Pete is an outstanding gentleman. I have had two separate occasions where their old website "ate" my orders and I didn't end up getting the books. The first time Pete had already sold out of his copies of the book and actually went to a dealer he knew to buy me a copy to ship out. The second time, he gave me store credit at my request. When I picked out the new books (the original had again sold out) it came to a bit more than my credit and he comped the rest, plus shipping.

I've never had better customer service than from him. He even went so far as to call the US to chat about the mix-up with me!

Bev Vincent
12-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Pete Crowther is a seriously cool dude. I've had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times at conferences. He's witty and funny and blast to hang out with.

namelessnpoor
12-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Hello, have a question about Portfolios. How many portfolios are there? So if i decided i wanted to collect them all, what would i look for. Insomnia (red and black folder versions), The Stand, The Wastelands (signed and unsigned versions). Those are all i know of. If anyone has a complete list I would like to know, I am somewhat interested in them after getting the signed print from Glimmer graphics.
Thanks
Rusty

Randall Flagg
12-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Signed by King:
Cycle of the Werewolf
Insomnia

Not signed by King:
Skeleton Crew
The Stand
The Wastelands

I'm sure I have missed a few.

e_taylor
12-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Signed by King:
Cycle of the Werewolf
Insomnia

Not signed by King:
Skeleton Crew
The Stand
The Wastelands

I'm sure I have missed a few.

Would the 'Salem's Lot photographs from Centipede Press count as a "portfolio"?

Ari_Racing
12-24-2010, 06:42 AM
The Wastelands has also a version called Artist Proof. The Stand has a version with a 13th print signed by Wrightson. When I interviewed Stephen Gervais (Christine) I asked him about a portfolio and he mentioned he thought there was one, but he wasn't completely sure. There's also one with german illustrations of The eyes of the dragon.

Now, in The Dark Tower flyers released by Grant Books, in one of them there's an announcement about Song of Susannah's portfolio, but I guess it was never released (Karen was going to ask Robert about this).

e_taylor
12-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Now, in The Dark Tower flyers released by Grant Books, in one of them there's an announcement about Song of Susannah's portfolio, but I guess it was never released (Karen was going to ask Robert about this).

How cool would a Dark Tower Omnibus Portfolio from Grant be?!?! Every illustration from every artist for every book....:drool:

Ari_Racing
12-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Don't think I didn't suggest it...and I know Karen passed the info as well :)

Randall Flagg
12-24-2010, 07:02 AM
I would say yes, 'Salem's Lot is a portfolio.

herbertwest
12-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Don't think I didn't suggest it...and I know Karen passed the info as well :)

that would be nice!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-24-2010, 12:24 PM

I tend not to agree. The 'Salem's Lot photos are only the set of photos which were in the Limited Editions. The Gift Edition had no photos, hence these sets.

A portfolio to me is a package for containing things, like photos. There is no "portfolio" with these sets.

carlosdetweiller
12-24-2010, 01:09 PM

I tend not to agree. The 'Salem's Lot photos are only the set of photos which were in the Limited Editions. The Gift Edition had no photos, hence these sets.

A portfolio to me is a package for containing things, like photos. There is no "portfolio" with these sets.

We change the accepted definitions of words to suit our own purposes here on this website and are unapologetic in doing so. First "remarque" and now "portfolio." Where will this insanity end?

jhanic
12-24-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't consider the Salem's Lot prints a portfolio; it's a set of prints.

John

Randall Flagg
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Then perhaps it's not a portfolio.
As for words evolving, I would ask you "what is a mouse?"
30 years ago there would be unanimity on the answer.
Today, ask a 10 year old the question and I'm sure a fair percentage would think of a computer, not a rodent.
That is also why the Oxford English Dictionary (http://www.oed.com/help/updates/pimesic-pleating.html)is updated four times a year.

carlosdetweiller
12-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Today, ask a 10 year old the question and I'm sure a fair percentage would think of a computer, not a rodent.
That is also why the Oxford English Dictionary (http://www.oed.com/help/updates/pimesic-pleating.html)is updated four times a year.

Fair enough. But in the current edition of the Oxford I still only see the term remarque referring to lithographic prints of artwork and not to any little doodle or drawing in a book. I'll check again in three months though.

Merlin1958
12-24-2010, 02:42 PM

I agree with you Jerome The language is constantly evolving.

"Jeet"? "No, DJU"? Fuhgeddiboutit!!!!! (NY-ease)

Translation:

Jeet = Did you eat?

Dju = Did you

Fuhgeddiboutit = Forget about it

LOL

Randall Flagg
12-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Fair enough. But in the current edition of the Oxford I still only see the term remarque referring to lithographic prints of artwork and not to any little doodle or drawing in a book. I'll check again in three months though.
Hey, If "refudiate" (Oxford word of the year 2010-courtesy of Sarah Palin) can make it, anything is possible.

carlosdetweiller
12-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey, If "refudiate" (Oxford word of the year 2010-courtesy of Sarah Palin) can make it, anything is possible.

I agree with that.

Patrick
12-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't consider the Salem's Lot prints a portfolio; it's a set of prints.

John
This has always been my view as well.

namelessnpoor
12-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Good Morning ! So what would you all say the value of the regular Blue Folder The Stand Portfolio is? I know there is a black and a blue version, the black supposedly having a 13th print and being signed and numbered out of 1200 while the blue has only 12. Thanks for the input.

Ari_Racing
12-26-2010, 08:16 AM
U$S 50

ELazansky
12-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Good Morning ! So what would you all say the value of the regular Blue Folder The Stand Portfolio is? I know there is a black and a blue version, the black supposedly having a 13th print and being signed and numbered out of 1200 while the blue has only 12. Thanks for the input.

Betts has the black S/L edition for $50, so I'm sure the blue is less than that.

Ari_Racing
12-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Ups.

Good point!

I purchased the blue portfolio some years ago for U$S 45, and then got the 13th print signed for U$S 6. But I never knew that the S/L edition had a black folder instead of blue.

WeDealInLead
12-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Is $120 a good price for Desperation Gift Edition and UTD edition w/ cards + slipcase from The Collector? I'm thinking UTD was the better of the two.

Ari_Racing
12-26-2010, 07:39 PM
UTD gift with no slipcase costs U$S 25-28. Desperation gift can be found for U$S 60.
I don't know how much does the slipcase costs, but I think it's a fair price.

namelessnpoor
12-27-2010, 05:59 AM
So as far as the blue edition of The Stand portfolio, I shouldn't pay mor ethan around $50 or so for it, since you can but the S/L version for around that also? Just checking as i don't seem to see them for sale very often and I was offered one for $100. I don't want to overpay for it but I also would like to have one. I don't thnk the seller is negotiable either as he was somewhat reluctant to part with it to begin with.

ELazansky
12-27-2010, 06:16 AM
So as far as the blue edition of The Stand portfolio, I shouldn't pay mor ethan around $50 or so for it, since you can but the S/L version for around that also? Just checking as i don't seem to see them for sale very often and I was offered one for $100. I don't want to overpay for it but I also would like to have one. I don't thnk the seller is negotiable either as he was somewhat reluctant to part with it to begin with.

Unless the blue version is more rare than the black, I wouldn't pay $100 for the blue when you can get the black with the extra signed print for $50. The other 12 prints are the same in both.

WeDealInLead
12-27-2010, 09:16 AM
UTD gift with no slipcase costs U$S 25-28. Desperation gift can be found for U$S 60.
I don't know how much does the slipcase costs, but I think it's a fair price.

I did some reasearch on completed listings. Last two sold for $29.95. Desperation seems to go for $60-70. UTD Slipcase is $29.95. Now... add shipping on all these if you're buying from 3 sellers and price gets ridicilous. Shipping for UTD and Desperation would've been around $25 each. I'm not sure about the slipcase. So yeah.. pretty good but not great. Anything that I can make the money back on or make a small profit is a good deal. Phew.

herbertwest
12-28-2010, 07:10 AM
How many illustrations are into the DESPERATION published by DM Grant?

Dave Hinchberger
12-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey everyone,

I hope this finds you well after the holidays. I'd like to address a couple of concerns here since they have been brought up on a public forum.
Yes, it should take about 2 weeks, hopefully less, for a package to arrive abroad from the US. However I have had Flat Rate Priority envelopes, ( which is the case for @herbertwest who posted here ) take forever in some countries. I have no idea why, but this is unusual of course and not the norm. They don't have to track Flat Rate envelopes but they will show when it's delivered. Regular priority is tracked, but then you pay more for that service. It's a trade off at times for the Flat Rate and I only use that for certain items. Limited or high priced items receive regular Priority for safety and security. I guarantee our overseas orders as long as they are sent by Priority Mail, which these days is the only way I send out of the country. I will replace that order if he does not receive it in early January. That is certainly long enough, but then I didn't know it was missing until mid-December until he notified me.

Next subject: Every package is tracked and if you need the tracking number to see when it was sent, we are happy to oblige anytime. John, thanks for your last order in March. Hopefully we've improved as your last package took ten days to arrive according to tracking, media mail of course.

MISSING ITEMS: If you are missing a book that was promised to you, then by all means get in touch. ou can reach me anytime at 678-567-9777 or e-mail me at overlookcn@aol.com if something is amiss, I am willing to make amends and keep our customers happy. I'm assuming since it's been 15 years, you've lost faith in us, but I am still willing to take care of the issue if we dropped the ball somewhere. For all I know, the book was sent and lost - I don't know. In any event I am always willing to help and I always get back to our customers. The coffin situation came down to the manufacturer. Long story, but in the end he disappeared and left me hanging with no fulfillment on the rest of the cases. Some cases were produced and sent out. Get in touch, I would be glad to discuss.

Dave Hinchberger
Overlook Connection Bookstore and Press

thegreattim
12-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Okay guys, I need some opinions. I do a significant amount of trade with a certain popular small press publisher (who shall remain nameless, but looking back through my recent collection thread postings, I bet you can guess). Said publisher has at LEAST three times in the last year (probably significantly more in the cases of popular titles I have little interest in) advertised a limited edition book for pre-order and then once sales have "surprisingly" been more than expected, bumped up the print size. Sometimes as much as 25%, sometimes announced, sometimes it just shows up on the website one day.

The cases I have experienced with books I've personally have ordered have, for example, been raised from 250 to 350. Or 450 to 600.... you get the idea. My problem is though, that if I buy a book at $XXX, expecting there to only ever be YYY copies, and then that book's print run is increased by ZZ%, I feel that I should get a refund in price equal to the percentage the print run was raised! The implied scarcity implies an inherent value of that book and the increased print run consequently devalues the book on the secondary market. Obviously it is not a 1/1 ratio, but still... I feel as if it is a rather disingenuous sales tactic.

Thoughts? Said publisher has offered refunds in that cases where the customer is unhappy, but dammit, I still want the book. I just feel that there should be some method of control or reparations made in such cases.

e_taylor
12-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Okay guys, I need some opinions. I do a significant amount of trade with a certain popular small press publisher (who shall remain nameless, but looking back through my recent collection thread postings, I bet you can guess). Said publisher has at LEAST three times in the last year (probably significantly more in the cases of popular titles I have little interest in) advertised a limited edition book for pre-order and then once sales have "surprisingly" been more than expected, bumped up the print size. Sometimes as much as 25%, sometimes announced, sometimes it just shows up on the website one day.

The cases I have experienced with books I've personally have ordered have, for example, been raised from 250 to 350. Or 450 to 600.... you get the idea. My problem is though, that if I buy a book at $XXX, expecting there to only ever be YYY copies, and then that book's print run is increased by ZZ%, I feel that I should get a refund in price equal to the percentage the print run was raised! The implied scarcity implies an inherent value of that book and the increased print run consequently devalues the book on the secondary market. Obviously it is not a 1/1 ratio, but still... I feel as if it is a rather disingenuous sales tactic.

Thoughts? Said publisher has offered refunds in that cases where the customer is unhappy, but dammit, I still want the book. I just feel that there should be some method of control or reparations made in such cases.

SubPress? They've been pulling that shit for years. They'll also do random second printings.

But they have you between a rock and a hard place. You can either have the book for an inflated price (given the increased print run) or not have the book you want.

ELazansky
12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
I haven't had any experience with that issue yet myself. I do know that some people were upset when CD upped the print run for The Passage from 750 to 986. I wasn't mad since I was pulled off of the wait list to get a copy. But I can see how it would be frustrating if you order a book from a run of 250 and then suddenly, the run is increased to 400 or 500. That would detract a little from the value, so maybe some sort of credit would be nice.

biomieg
12-30-2010, 12:19 PM
SubPress also increased the print run of the signd numbered edition of THE WOLF'S HOUR (Robert McCammon), allegedly because they decided to include the extra novella:

We expect the inclusion of this major piece of new fiction will drive sales of this limited edition, making it a must have for every serious McCammon fan.

To accommodate the expected demand for The Wolf’s Hour — this novella was a last minute addition, long after the book was announced — with Mr. McCammon’s permission we’ve decided to increase the print run to 750 copies, to cover the increased printing costs, to compensate the author for a significant new piece of fiction, and to give his many fans a chance at this important collectible edition.

They make it sound plausible but I think there's some illogical reasoning going on there.

e_taylor
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM
SubPress also increased the print run of the signd numbered edition of THE WOLF'S HOUR (Robert McCammon), allegedly because they decided to include the extra novella:

We expect the inclusion of this major piece of new fiction will drive sales of this limited edition, making it a must have for every serious McCammon fan.

To accommodate the expected demand for The Wolf’s Hour — this novella was a last minute addition, long after the book was announced — with Mr. McCammon’s permission we’ve decided to increase the print run to 750 copies, to cover the increased printing costs, to compensate the author for a significant new piece of fiction, and to give his many fans a chance at this important collectible edition.

They make it sound plausible but I think there's some illogical reasoning going on there.

Yah, thats BS. Even if the novella was actually somehow a last minute thing, they could have released it as a stand alone limited.

Plus, a related novella isn't going to make someone change their mind about not buying a novel.

biomieg
12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
And also, if they want to accomodate all these many fans, why release a limited edition in the first place?

thegreattim
12-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, yeah. I guess this isn't that much of a secret then, it's just new to me as a relatively new collector. I just think that it's kind of a bunch of bullshit. Once they have their initial costs put into the book (typeset, art, proofing, etc..) it costs them next to nothing to increase the print run.

So now, all of a sudden you have a $50 book going from 400 to 600 copies, the publisher automatically has an easy extra $10,000 with no additional work. Would it kill them to give the customers who preordered the book on the understanding that there would only ever be 400 copies, a $10 refund? They are still making an extra $6,000 and I would feel less like I'm being lied to for the sake of profit.

With the McCammon thing, I *almost* understand. That *kinda* makes sense. But 9 times out of 10 this kind of move is pulled without any fanfare or notice or increased value to the customer. It just mysteriously shows up on the product page one day and I bet most people never even notice.

thegreattim
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
SubPress? They've been pulling that shit for years. They'll also do random second printings. But they have you between a rock and a hard place. You can either have the book for an inflated price (given the increased print run) or not have the book you want.

Yeah, I've seen that before as well. Though in the cases where a limited and a trade were produced, and the trade is being reprinted, I don't care so much. That's almost to be expected. But you're absolutly right about being stuck. You have little choice but to take it or walk.

Randall Flagg
12-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Perhaps I misunderstand, but you mention reparations as though there are damages that you have suffered. If the publisher offers a refund, IMO you have not been harmed. Granted the practice is distasteful, and could/should be discussed publicly and will influence a person as to whether or not to patronize a business, but the word "reparations" connotes a crime.
In jurisprudence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurisprudence), reparation is replenishment of a previously inflicted loss by the criminal to the victim. Monetary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monetary) restitution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restitution) is a common form of reparation.

carlosdetweiller
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Perhaps I misunderstand, but you mention reparations as though there are damages that you have suffered. If the publisher offers a refund, IMO you have not been harmed. Granted the practice is distasteful, and could/should be discussed publicly and will influence a person as to whether or not to patronize a business, but the word "reparations" connotes a crime.
In jurisprudence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurisprudence), reparation is replenishment of a previously inflicted loss by the criminal to the victim. Monetary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monetary) restitution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restitution) is a common form of reparation.

Hold on there, pardner! We play fast and loose with definitions on this here website. If he wants to use the word reparations in that manner who are we to correct him? I mean fluid and ever evolving language and all.

Merlin1958
12-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Hold on there, pardner! We play fast and loose with definitions on this here website. If he wants to use the word reparations in that manner who are we to correct him? I mean fluid and ever evolving language and all.

LOL It's not Jerome. It's the "Library Cop" from "Sienfeld" impersonating him!!! LOL

e_taylor
12-30-2010, 05:17 PM

haha the improper use of "remarque" really irks you doesn't it Bob?

Merlin1958
12-30-2010, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tP9fI2zbE

It's GOLD, Jerry!!!! Gold!!!!

LOL LOL :lol::lol::lol:

thegreattim
12-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Fair enough. I did not mean to imply a crime had taken place. In the use of the word, I was thinking of the "inflicted loss" being the decreased secondary market price of a book with 150 or 200 more collectors who own it. And while I do not collect for financial gain, we all know - if not approve - scarcity alone does impart some value. So by producing more copies than originally advertised, the collector has indeed been "inflicted a loss", if not in the criminal sense. In this case, I feel a small "monetary restitution" would be appropriate.

Like you mentioned, though, they always offer refunds, which keeps it from becoming a legal matter. Otherwise they could easily be accused of false advertising or misrepresentation of a product. Still, I maintain my belief in the original intent (if not the dictionary definition) of my statement.

Randall Flagg
12-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I meant that a 100% refund would be fair and just-provided you cancel the order. I agree that upping the production numbers can seem unsavory. There is nothing wrong with asking for some form of compensation-partial refund, credit for future etc.

thegreattim
12-30-2010, 06:25 PM
I meant that a 100% refund would be fair and just-provided you cancel the order.

And I also agree with that. Even if it is not a desired outcome.

Rahfa
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
I meant that a 100% refund would be fair and just-provided you cancel the order.

And I also agree with that. Even if it is not a desired outcome.

I agree that the RIGHT thing to do is give you some sort of rebate...but they're under no obligation too, obviously. I dunno what I'd do - be annoyed, yes, but I'm not sure I'd be too much beyond that if I wanted the book. You ARE getting something new, with the novella, so look at it that way.

If you want the book, I'd just let it ride....the reality is the secondary market is probably not going to be significantly affected anyway.

thegreattim
12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
I agree that the RIGHT thing to do is give you some sort of rebate...but they're under no obligation too, obviously. I dunno what I'd do - be annoyed, yes, but I'm not sure I'd be too much beyond that if I wanted the book. You ARE getting something new, with the novella, so look at it that way.

If you want the book, I'd just let it ride....the reality is the secondary market is probably not going to be significantly affected anyway.

Well, in most cases (I didn't get the McCammon book) you don't get anything new or extra. But yeah, you are absolutely right about the effect on secondary market prices not noticeably changing. I don't even collect for value anyway. It's not like I buy two and hope to sell one.

Hell, maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. It just FEELS like something that should annoy me. Even if it realistically makes no difference in the long run.

e_taylor
12-31-2010, 01:36 PM

Well, in most cases (I didn't get the McCammon book) you don't get anything new or extra. But yeah, you are absolutely right about the effect on secondary market prices not noticeably changing. I don't even collect for value anyway. It's not like I buy two and hope to sell one.

Hell, maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. It just FEELS like something that should annoy me. Even if it realistically makes no difference in the long run.

Well if you order a book that is a limited edition of only 200 copies, but by the time your book is delivered it is a limited edition of only 400 copies, I'd call that a bait and switch.

Merlin1958
12-31-2010, 04:13 PM

I understand your feelings completely. These small presses seem to be immune to normal business practices and ethics and its maddening. Bait & switch pretty much sums it up. I don't understand how they can get away with it. Because they just prey on collectors. It's like "Shut up, you'll eat what I feed you and like it"!!! LOL LOL

namelessnpoor
01-01-2011, 03:57 PM
What would you all say a copy of this book is worth? I would like to have a copy, just to have it. The price this person wants seems quite high though in my opinion. Its not asif its signed or anything and its a paperback.
Thanks
Rusty

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380293672187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Yeah i just realized I never posted the link !!! Sorry !

jhanic
01-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Which book are you talking about, Rusty?

John

namelessnpoor
01-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Which book are you talking about, Rusty?

John

I forgot to put the link in John ! Sorry, i just added it in !

thegreattim
01-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I have no idea of it's value, having never seen one sold elsewhere, but while it might be neat to own... Like you say, it's a trade paperback, probably an umpety-umpth printing, with a sticker on the inside cover.

Not a lot (at least in my opinion) to recommend a price that high.

jhanic
01-01-2011, 06:08 PM
I agree. It seems way over-priced.

John

herbertwest
01-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Never heard about this one

mikeC
01-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Hello, I couldn't find this anywhere so I thought I would ask here.
Does anyone know who did the painting for the red cover Long Walk and if it exists anywhere? It's always been one of my favorites.
Thanks

Patrick
01-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Hello, I couldn't find this anywhere so I thought I would ask here.
Does anyone know who did the painting for the red cover Long Walk and if it exists anywhere? It's always been one of my favorites.
Thanks
Excellent question! I look forward to the answer.

For the convenience of anyone who wants to see it again:
The Long Walk cover (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Long+Walk+The+-+Trade+PB)

Randall Flagg
01-04-2011, 06:51 AM
High resolution image:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/The_Long_Walk_face.jpg
Link (click on picture for large image) (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=786&title=the-long-walk&cat=510)

lordmerchant
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Sorry if a similar thread exists, just been taking inventory of my little king library and wondered if anybody has or knows of a resource that displays kings works in alphabetical order - a google search has yielded poor results.

Thanks
Rob

lordmerchant
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
sorry to waste time, found just the ticket on his official page (seems obvious now)

biomieg
01-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Check the 'King Collectibles' subforum on this very site :) it contains all trade and limited editions in alphabetical order: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Index+Quick+Links

Randall Flagg
01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
A Life In The Cinema - Lettered Artist Presentation Copy
A Life In The Cinema - S/L

Bachman Books, The - Trade HC
Bag of Bones - Trade HC
Bag of Bones- S/L UK
Best of Cemetery Dance, The - S/L
Black House - S/L
Black House - Trade HC
Black House / The Talisman - S/L Gift
Blaze - Trade HC
Blockade Billy - Trade HC
Book of the Dead - S/L PC
Borderlands 5 - Lettered
Borderlands 5 - S/L

Carrie - Trade HC
Cell - Trade HC
Christine - S/L
Christine - Trade HC
Colorado Kid, The - AE Chadbourne Miller Potter
Colorado Kid, The - S/L Chadbourne
Colorado Kid, The - S/L Miller
Colorado Kid, The - S/L Potter
Colorado Kid, The - S/L Traycase Chadbourne
Colorado Kid, The - S/L Traycase Miller
Colorado Kid, The - S/L Traycase Potter
Colorado Kid, The - Trade HC
Colorado Kid, The - Trade PB
Complete Masters of Darkness, The – S/L
Creepshow - Trade PB
Cujo - S/L
Cujo - Trade HC
Cycle of the Werewolf - S/L PC
Cycle of the Werewolf - Trade HC Oversized
Cycle of the Werewolf - Trade PB
Cycle of the Werewolf Portfolio - S/L
Dandelion Wine - S/L
Danse Macabre - S/L
Danse Macabre - Trade HC
Dark Dreamers - S/L
Dark Half, The - Trade HC
Dark Tower, The (DTVII) - AE
Dark Tower, The (DTVII) - S/L
Dark Tower, The (DTVII) - Trade HC
Dead Zone, The - Easton HC 1985
Dead Zone, The - Trade HC
Desperation - Gift
Desperation - S/L
Desperation - Trade HC
Desperation/Regulators-S/L UK
Different Seasons - Trade HC
Dolan's Cadillac - Lettered
Dolan's Cadillac - S/L
Dolan's Cadillac-S/L PC
Dolores Claiborne - Gift Edition
Dolores Claiborne - Trade HC
Drawing of the Three, The (DTII) - S/L
Drawing of the Three, The (DTII) - Trade HC
Drawing of the Three, The (DTII) - Trade HC 2nd Ed.
Drawing of the Three, The (DTII) - Trade HC Viking
Drawing of the Three, The (DTII)-Audio - S/L
Dreamcatcher - Trade HC
Duma Key - Trade HC
Dystopia - Lettered
Everything's Eventual - Trade HC
Eyes of the Dragon, The - S/L
Eyes of the Dragon, The - Trade HC
Faithful - Trade HC
Fantasy & Science Fiction - S/L
Fear Itself - S/L
Firestarter - Lettered
Firestarter - S/L
Firestarter - Trade HC
Four Past Midnight - Trade HC
Frankenstein - S/L
From a Buick 8 - Gift
From a Buick 8 - Lettered
From a Buick 8 - S/L
From a Buick 8 - Trade HC
Full Dark, No Stars - Trade HC
Gauntlet 2 - S/L
Gerald's Game - ARC
Gerald's Game - Trade HC
Girl Next Door, The - S/L
Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The - Pop~up
Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The - S/L
Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The - Trade HC
Great Ghost Stories - Lettered
Green Mile, The - Gift
Green Mile, The - Lettered
Green Mile, The - S/L
Green Mile, The - Trade HC
Green Mile, The - Trade PB (6 Books)
Gunslinger, The (DTI) - Lettered & S/L
Gunslinger, The (DTI) - Trade HC 1st Ed.
Gunslinger, The (DTI) - Trade HC 2nd Ed.
Gunslinger, The (DTI) - Trade HC 3rd Ed.
Gunslinger, The (DTI) [Revised] - Trade HC Viking
Gunslinger, The (DTI)- Audio - S/L
He Is Legend - Lettered
HE IS LEGEND - S/L
Hearts in Atlantis - Trade HC
House Next Door, The - Lettered Old New York Press
House Next Door, The - S/L Bett's
House Next Door, The - S/L Old New York Press
Ideal, Genuine Man, The - S/L
Insomnia - Gift
Insomnia - Gift Edition UK
Insomnia - S/L
Insomnia - Trade HC
Insomnia Portfolio - S/L
Insomnia-S/L UK
IT - German Bootleg
IT - Trade HC
Just After Sunset
Just After Sunset-Collector's Set
Killer Inside Me, The - S/L
Legends - S/L
Letters From Hell - S/L
Lisey's Story - BOMC
Lisey's Story - Trade HC
Little Sisters Of Eluria, The - AE
Little Sisters Of Eluria, The - S/L
Long Walk, The - Trade PB
Misery - Trade HC
My Pretty Pony - S/L
My Pretty Pony - Trade HC
Needful Things - Trade HC
New Lieutenant's Rap, The - S/L
Night Shift - Trade HC
Night Visions 5 - S/L
Nightmares & Dreamscapes - Trade HC
Nightmares and Dreamscapes - Gift Edition
On Writing - Trade HC
Pet Semetary - Trade HC
Plant, The - S/L
Postscripts 10 - S/L
Prime Evil - S/L
Quietly Now - Lettered
Quietly Now - S/L
Rage - Trade PB
Rainy Season Print -S/L
Regulators, The - Lettered
Regulators, The - Prototypes
Regulators, The - S/L
Regulators, The - Trade HC
Riding The Bullet
Roadwork - Trade PB
Rose Madder - Trade HC
Rose Madder-S/L UK
Running Man, The - Trade PB
'Salem's Lot - Gift
'Salem's Lot - S/L Slipcase
'Salem's Lot - S/L Traycase
'Salem's Lot - Trade HC
'Salem's Lot Illustrated - Trade HC
Secret Windows - BOM HC
Secretary of Dreams Volume One, The - Gift
Secretary of Dreams Volume One, The - S/L
Secretary of Dreams Volume Two, The - Gift
Secretary of Dreams Volume Two, The - S/L
Shining, The - Trade HC
Signatures - S/L
Sins of the Father, The - S/L
Six Stories - S/L
Skeleton Crew - Lettered PC
Skeleton Crew - Publishers Personal "Check" Copy 1/1
Skeleton Crew - S/L
Skeleton Crew - S/L PC
Skeleton Crew - Trade HC
Song of Susannah (DTVI) - AE
Song of Susannah (DTVI) - S/L
Song of Susannah (DTVI) - Trade HC
Stand, The (Complete and Uncut) - Trade HC
Stand, The - S/L
Stand, The - Trade HC
Stephen King - Trade HC Omnibus
Storm of the Century - Trade PB
Talisman, The - Deluxe
Talisman, The - S/L
Talisman, The - Trade HC
Taylor Cujo Guitar - S/L
Thinner - Trade HC
Tommyknockers, The - Trade HC
Transgressions - S/L
Umney's Last Case - PB
UNDER THE DOME - COLLECTOR'S SET
UNDER THE DOME - S/L
UNDER THE DOME _ S/L UK
UNDER THE DOME - TRADE HC
Waste Lands, The (DTIII) - S/L
Waste Lands, The (DTIII) - Trade HC
Waste Lands, The (DTIII) - Trade HC Viking
Whispers - S/L
Wizard and Glass (DTIV) - S/L
Wizard and Glass (DTIV) - Trade HC
Wizard and Glass (DTIV) - Trade HC Viking
Wizard and Glass (DTIV)-S/L UK
Wolves of the Calla (DTV) - AE
Wolves of the Calla (DTV) - S/L
Wolves of the Calla (DTV) - Trade HC

Room 217 Caretaker
01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
"You're gonna need a bigger boat." -Chief Martin Brody

lordmerchant
01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
thanks for all the help, I dont have a collection with any limited editons etc (almost entirely used books), thought I would try to catalogue what I have and try to find a hardback copy of each title. I have been quite happy to find I have a few DT first editions though - a bargain buy I think for £2.49 each!

lordmerchant
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
@Randall, that is excellent, thanks very much!

pixiedark76
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Today I got a book from an e-bay seller. The seller said in the description that this book was a Pet Sematary first edition and that it was new. Here are some pictures.

http://i53.tinypic.com/235ugx.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/n31yc6.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/72evxv.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/b4921e.jpg

As you can see the price is $17.95 instead of $15.95. There is also foxing and the dust jacket is dirty. I am very disappointed in this book. The seller says that he does not accept any returns. I gave the seller negative feedback. What do you think?

http://i55.tinypic.com/k53c75.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
I think you were burned and have a strong reason to leave negative feedback. I also recommend initiating a claim through the ebay resolution center. If you were fortunate enough to charge the item, I would dispute the charge.

Rahfa
01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
What RF said...it's not a first edition, so this isn't a question of "not accepting refunds." He didn't sell what he claimed he did.

Randall Flagg
01-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Forgot to ask. How much did you pay for the book? Not relevant to being burned, just wondering.

carlosdetweiller
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I would tell the seller that you are returning the book because it is not as described. Don't pay any attention to his "no refund" policy. Just tell him it is on the way back and do it. Put delivery confirmation on it so you have proof. Initiate claim through PayPal and/or your credit card issuer. I am almost certain you will win in the end but it may take several weeks for complete resolution. Keep the photos you posted in case someone asks (but I have never been asked and I have done this maybe five times in the past). Good luck.

carlosdetweiller
01-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Also, if you paid by credit card (even if through PayPal) go ahead and call customer service now. Tell them you are disputing the charge and tell them why. They will issue an immediate (but potentially temporary) credit to your card for the disputed amount. In my case my card issuer then sends me a short form via snail mail to fill out and return. About a month later I have always gotten notification that the credit is now permanent.

Jimimck
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Is there somewhere here you can name and shame the seller too?

biomieg
01-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Is there somewhere here you can name and shame the seller too?

Yes, in this thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?2482-Book-Dealers-eBay-Members-to-Avoid-like-the-Plague

Oy-Boy
01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm new to collecting books and hope this thread will provide some information on best practices.

I really want to acquire some signed limited edition copies of The Dark Tower series but not sure how to do this. Simple Google searches provide results with some online retailers but I don't want to fall prey to scams. I'm want the genuine article from trusted sources.

Does anybody have suggestions on the best way to approach this endeavor?

Thanks to all who contribute!

jhanic
01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Oy-Boy, the best source is through Betts Books, owned by our own wizardsrainbow (David Williamson). Link is:

http://www.bettsbooks.com/w95020ai.html#girl

They are expensive, however.

John

Oy-Boy
01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks John!

Dolso
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm new to collecting books and hope this thread will provide some information on best practices.

I really want to acquire some signed limited edition copies of The Dark Tower series but not sure how to do this. Simple Google searches provide results with some online retailers but I don't want to fall prey to scams. I'm want the genuine article from trusted sources.

Welcome Oy-Boy~

Oh ..where to start??????
Members of this site often sell their S/L editions ~ try posting a note of what you're looking for in the "Collectible Classified" thread.
A post on the thread "King books/items wanted would probably also yield some results.
Betts Books (bettsbooks.com) is an excellent web store to look over what's available. The owner is also an active member here. There are also active threads on various publishers.
Read through the various threads & posts to get a feel for what folks are recommending or currently talking about.

Good luck ~~ I'm sure others will have lots more recommendations.

biomieg
01-07-2011, 12:25 PM
And you can always ask the community here for advice/thoughts on any book you locate online before 'biting the bullet' - I think it's safe to say that this forum hosts the most knowledgeable group of King collectors in the world.

biomieg
01-07-2011, 12:34 PM
By the way, when it comes to signed/limited editions you can be pretty sure that once you find one through an online retailer, it pretty much has to be the real deal. They are usually too distinct in design and production values (and the presence of a limitation page of course) to be mistaken for anything else. So I think you don't need to worry about a potential seller in that respect. But you are right in that you need to be sure that the asking price reflects the market and the condition of the book. And like I said, we're here to help you out and provide a second opinion.

MLG
01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I would recommend signing up for the newsletters of the small press companies who have produced books you are interested in. It is a good way to learn about what they have to offer and they often notify the mailing lists of deals they have.

Oy-Boy
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
All really good advice.

thegreattim
01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I'll second the newsletters, that is where I have found out about most of mine. Also, if the price is reasonable, I'd prefer to buy new from the publisher rather than on the secondary market. And I've yet to see a King S/L depreciate in value. Though that is not strictly always the case for all of the gift editions.

Be wary with the newsletters though! You'll soon see so many new books you want, you'll go broke! :lol:

biomieg
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Be wary with the newsletters though! You'll soon see so many new books you want, you'll go broke! :lol:

Rea-allly? :evil:

thegreattim
01-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Rea-allly? :evil:

:beat: If it wasn't for those dastardly newsletters, I'd be the very proud owner of my first King S/L today. ;)

Patrick
01-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Welcome to TheDarkTower.org, Oy-Boy. Glad to have you here.

Another great source of information on SK limited editions - including price ranges to expect (updated monthly) and links to books for sale, would be The Collector (http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/). The owner, Tomas, is also a member here. Generally speaking, you should be able to obtain collectible books at the low end of the ranges that he quotes.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I agree with Tim about buying books directly from the publishers, even if you can find them cheaper on the secondary markets soon after, especially if you are as interested in the ever sought after 'mint condition' state as I am.

Some highly recommended sellers besides those already mentioned are L.W. Currey (New York) and The Fine Book Company (Michigan). They are not cheap, but they have the good stuff!

Patrick
01-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know of a suitable aftermarket slipcase for the U.K. signed limited edition of INSOMNIA?
Thanks.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Yes. The slipcase from the H&S Insomnia Gift Edition. :)

Patrick
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Does anyone know of a suitable aftermarket slipcase for the U.K. signed limited edition of INSOMNIA?
Thanks.
Yes. The slipcase from the H&S Insomnia Gift Edition. :)
:doh:

Why would they issue the cheaper Gift Edition with a slipcase and the more expensive S/L without one?

I have no interest in owning the UK gift edition of INSOMNIA with its photocopied signature. I just want its slipcase. Sigh.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Gift+cheap cloth
S/L=faux leather

debungsmere
01-10-2011, 06:27 AM
So I just received my A/E copy of Little Sisters of Eluria (https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-1-lsoe.html) in the mail this weekend. I am wondering if I should take the shrink wrap off or not. What would you do? The reason why I am considering it is because it says on the publisher's site,

Michael Whelan told us that he did drawings on 30 - 50 of the signature pages when he was signing them and we have no idea which numbered copies they ended up in. He sent us photos of two of them and one is posted here. If you receive one of these be aware that the value of these books are probably in excess of $1,000 as copies of the Artist Edition of THE DARK TOWER VII in which Michael made similar drawings sold on ebay or to collectors for over $1,200 each. I expect that most of these copies will remain undiscovered for years as many collectors never take the shrink wrap off their books..

It would be pretty cool to open it up and find a drawing... https://secure.grantbooks.com/images_S_King/whelan_remark-1.jpg

P.S. I got a book in the 3800's so that means there are not many left if anyone still wants to get one.

e_taylor
01-10-2011, 06:43 AM
So I just received my A/E copy of Little Sisters of Eluria (https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-1-lsoe.html) in the mail this weekend. I am wondering if I should take the shrink wrap off or not. What would you do? The reason why I am considering it is because it says on the publisher's site,

Michael Whelan told us that he did drawings on 30 - 50 of the signature pages when he was signing them and we have no idea which numbered copies they ended up in. He sent us photos of two of them and one is posted here. If you receive one of these be aware that the value of these books are probably in excess of $1,000 as copies of the Artist Edition of THE DARK TOWER VII in which Michael made similar drawings sold on ebay or to collectors for over $1,200 each. I expect that most of these copies will remain undiscovered for years as many collectors never take the shrink wrap off their books..

It would be pretty cool to open it up and find a drawing... https://secure.grantbooks.com/images_S_King/whelan_remark-1.jpg

P.S. I got a book in the 3800's so that means there are not many left if anyone still wants to get one.

Open it up! The shrink wrap doesn't add any real value anyways.

jhanic
01-10-2011, 06:48 AM
I don't think any of us here have found any drawings on their copies of the AE of Little Sisters. These seem very, very scarce. Take off the shrink wrap!

John

CRinVA
01-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Well after reading this it got me to thinking - did I ever post a pic of the remarqueued copy tghat I won in the 2009 Fundraiser! So here are a couple of pics! Definitely one of myt favorate possessions.!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/0171.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/02110.JPG

thegreattim
01-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Very nice! I really like that, CR.

jhanic
01-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Very nice, Bob.

John

carlosdetweiller
01-10-2011, 10:08 AM
That is a real beauty. Much larger and much more detailed than any of the others I have seen.

CRinVA
01-10-2011, 10:29 AM
When the AE first came out I bought two hoping to snag one of the remarqueued editions. no such luck of course. then I won the one pictured above. Since then i donated one to the haven fundraiser last year and I sold the other on ebay for $75!

Merlin1958
01-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Welcome!!! Dolso is right, the Collectible Classified's thread is a great place to start. Anything you buy from a member here is bound to be authentic.

Good Luck and Good Hunting!!!

Merlin1958
01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Well after reading this it got me to thinking - did I ever post a pic of the remarqueued copy tghat I won in the 2009 Fundraiser! So here are a couple of pics! Definitely one of myt favorate possessions.!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/0171.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/02110.JPG

Way cool, Bob!!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

debungsmere
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Nice picture! That is cool. What number is that? I figure the later numbers might be better since he was probably bored of signing...

east-tennessee
01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
When the AE first came out I bought two hoping to snag one of the remarqueued editions. no such luck of course.

I also bought two with the same thoughts, no luck though....

So I just received my A/E copy of Little Sisters of Eluria in the mail this weekend. I am wondering if I should take the shrink wrap off or not. What would you do? The reason why I am considering it is because it says on the publisher's site,

I would go ahead and open it.......

Patrick
01-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Bob, that is a very nice original Whelan drawing in your Author's Copy of the Artist's Edition of LSOE!

As far as the shrinkwrap question: I am always in favor of removing shrinkwrap - to inspect your item for manufacturing flaws if nothing else.

Jimimck
01-10-2011, 02:15 PM

I thought the same when I purchased one recently and received a high number, but Tomas from The Collector site mentioned that Grant hasn't been selling them in order, and so he thought it may be difficult to estimate how many are left.

Randall Flagg
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
IMO, there are none left in the shrinkwrapped 1/5,000 (except perhaps in Robert Weiner's "barn"). It was a highly debated and touchy subject.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Both my LITTLE SISTERS are still shrinkwrapped. If I remove it, there will be no remarque, if I do not remove it, there is a remarque there. That's how my 'luck' always goes.

e_taylor
01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Both my LITTLE SISTERS are still shrinkwrapped. If I remove it, there will be no remarque, if I do not remove it, there is a remarque there. That's how my 'luck' always goes.

Schrodinger's book?

Randall Flagg
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM

Schrodinger's book?

Close, but in this case a "cat" (original art-not a doodle) was never placed inside the box/book that the public had a chance for. It was promotional and borderline frau******.

thegreattim
01-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I've not been around the collector's forum long, nor do I know any other collectors personally. Not to be dense here, but are you guys saying *none* of the gift/AE edition of LSoE were remarqued (as per the advertisement)?

Randall Flagg
01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes several A/E's of LSOE had/have intricate original Whelan drawings in them. My own opinion is that there are far less than 50 intricate drawings done by Whelan, and there are none in the unopened editions of LSOE.

thegreattim
01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the feedback and I understand that is of course, only your opinion. This is just the first I've heard of any controversy or touchy-ness on the subject.

Fsmdr
01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
So far, there had been no indication from any collectors that the copy they purchased had a remarque inside them. The only remarques in the LSOE that has surfaced were all owned by Donald.M.Grant's employee. You would figured that since so much time has gone by since the sale, one or two would have surfaced here or on Ebay from buyers who had purchased them unopened.

Randall Flagg
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
thegreattim:
Read through the 2,282+ posts.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?577-Little-Sisters-of-Eluria-(Revised-Gunslinger)

debungsmere
01-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Ok question for you. I just took off the wrapping on my LSOE and of course there was no drawing. I wanted to look through the artwork before putting it away. One of the art pages has a drop of glue or something that is sticking the two pages together to the point where I cannot open them without ripping the paper. What should I do? I can return it and get a different one? But I've opened the wrapping so not sure how that works. What do you recommend?

divemaster
01-10-2011, 07:26 PM
You should have no problem getting a replacement from Grant. That's why they have publisher's copies on hand.

east-tennessee
01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
So far, there had been no indication from any collectors that the copy they purchased had a remarque inside them. The only remarques in the LSOE that has surfaced were all owned by Donald.M.Grant's employee. You would figured that since so much time has gone by since the sale, one or two would have surfaced here or on Ebay from buyers who had purchased them unopened.

I have seen two on ebay: one with a KA symbol & one with an EYE doodle, if you can call that a remarque,,,,
This has been 6-8 monthhs ago.

Brian.

CurtSeattle
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I realized I hadn't opened mine, so I did just now after reading this thread and mine has an eye doodle is all. No elaborate amazing remarque....other than the eye doodle. :|

east-tennessee
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Wow! well I would say you have got something unique for that book...

Michael Whelan told us that he did drawings on 30 - 50 of the signature pages when he was signing them and we have no idea which numbered copies they ended up in.

You probly got one of these..

Brian.

east-tennessee
01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I realized I hadn't opened mine, so I did just now after reading this thread and mine has an eye doodle is all. No elaborate amazing remarque....other than the eye doodle. :|

Show a picture if you get a chance........

CurtSeattle
01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Here is the "remarque" he did in mine. It is a very low number, so maybe he did it the ones under 100 or something?

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2113/imag0238rd.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/imag0238rd.jpg/)

oy-the-brave
01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
The books with the KA or CK eye drawings were not part of the 30-50 remarqued books.

There have been quite a few of the KA/eye drawings that have shown up on ebay etc. I got one in my copy of the signed limited.

wizardsrainbow
01-11-2011, 09:52 AM
IMO, there are none left in the shrinkwrapped 1/5,000 (except perhaps in Robert Weiner's "barn"). It was a highly debated and touchy subject.

Not to open the can of worms, but as a collector of remarques, it is VERY disturbing to me that virtually no remarques of any consequence surfaced. As a friend of Michael Whelan, the artist, he is as perplexed as I am as to what happened to the remarques he did. Law of averages suggests that at least a few would have made it into the hands of the people here, but they did not. I myself have 11 copies, have sold perhaps 40 more and have seen ZERO remarques.

willie3
01-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Not to open the can of worms, but as a collector of remarques, it is VERY disturbing to me that virtually no remarques of any consequence surfaced. As a friend of Michael Whelan, the artist, he is as perplexed as I am as to what happened to the remarques he did. Law of averages suggests that at least a few would have made it into the hands of the people here, but they did not. I myself have 11 copies, have sold perhaps 40 more and have seen ZERO remarques.

After a time, I formed the theory that the remarqueed pages disappeared while at the binder.
Acknowledging nothing is impossible, I think it highly improbable that not one would surface here.

Karl

Patrick
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
NOTE:

I moved the discussion about current market values of the RIDING THE BULLET ARC over to the dedicated RIDING THE BULLET thread.

Thanks.
- Patrick

CurtSeattle
01-11-2011, 11:59 AM
WizardsRainbow, you probably have as much inside scoop as anyone in relation to Whelan. That's sad that such a cool (and time consuming) thing like his remarques don't make it out to masses (or even us collector types) for some odd reason.

I'm always hunting for one of a kind items (like remarqued books) and I've never seen any on EBay of this LSOE. If you have seen any in all of your books that have moved through your hands, then that really has mini red alarm bells going off in my head. Weee-ewwww....weee-ewwww. :(

debungsmere
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Here is the "remarque" he did in mine. It is a very low number, so maybe he did it the ones under 100 or something?

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2113/imag0238rd.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/imag0238rd.jpg/)

That is awesome, I wish I had seen that when I opened it up. Instead I got a book with pages stuck together... :)

e_taylor
01-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Has Michael ever confirmed the approximate number of the full page remarques he actually added while signing the books?

e_taylor
01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
A question to my art collecting friends:

Is there any need to hang onto an invoice for a painting from an artist (aside from the "neat" factor)?

For instance, I recently bought an original from Alan M. Clark. Seeing as it has his signature as well as title and other writing on the back on the board... is there any need in terms of provenance?

And if I do keep it, should I just have it put in loose behind the painting when I have it framed?

Room 217 Caretaker
01-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Is there any need to hang onto an invoice for a painting from an artist (aside from the "neat" factor)?

For instance, I recently bought an original from Alan M. Clark. Seeing as it has his signature as well as title and other writing on the back on the board... is there any need in terms of provenance?

And if I do keep it, should I just have it put in loose behind the painting when I have it framed?

This is all personal taste of course;

I always put the paperwork on the back. I use the clear three ring binder pages, the kind that you can slip paperwork into. I put that on the back, the paperwork inside it, the slot allows me to take the paperwork in and out if ever needed.

Well, that's what I do anyway.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brian James Freeman
01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

This is all personal taste of course;

I always put the paperwork on the back. I use the clear three ring binder pages, the kind that you can slip paperwork into. I put that on the back, the paperwork inside it, the slot allows me to take the paperwork in and out if ever needed.

Well, that's what I do anyway.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

I think you must have suggested that method to me once because that's what I do as well. I just like holding onto the paperwork. I don't have a specific "reason" for that, though!

Brian

Randall Flagg
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM

It is a can of worms. Averages and odds are a debatable subject but IF Whelan did 50 intricate drawings (and I don't believe he did that many-the drawings that have surfaced took hours each, it's hard to fathom that Whelan grew tired of signing 4,000 pages and decided to cure his boredom by spending 50 days (1 day per intricate drawing) "spicing it up". Additionally, AFTER Whelan signed and doodled/drew the pages were hand numbered-meaning that someone from DMG saw each and every page.

Rahfa
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, def. keep the receipt, etc...doesn't hurt....just put on the back on the frame or whatever.

The 'Ka' and 'eye' symbols in LSOE are not all that uncommon...I have one...I have plenty seen plenty of others since.

But, as for the supposedly 30-50 full page remarques - the number of random, out-of-the-blue people who got one (and who came here to tell about it) stands at....zero.

I don't actually agree with RF above about the time issues...I'm talking out my ass, but I think he went into it with an intention of doing 30-40-50 of the drawings, and I don't think each drawing took a day...to me, the best of them looked like an hour's work - intensive, but to an artist like him, probably not more than a working sketch.

As for RF's last sentence, I would refer back to his FIRST sentence.

Merlin1958
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a fair amount of valuable art, and I always have the provenance in a envelope on the back of the piece. Crazy, maybe, but it works for me.

Randall Flagg
01-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Yeah, def. keep the receipt, etc...doesn't hurt....just put on the back on the frame or whatever.

I don't actually agree with RF above about the time issues...I'm talking out my ass, but I think he went into it with an intention of doing 30-40-50 of the drawings, and I don't think each drawing took a day...to me, the best of them looked like an hour's work - intensive, but to an artist like him, probably not more than a working sketch.

Per Audrey Price-note I have redacted parts of the email, but the these are her words regarding Michael Whelan and time involved for a drawing similar in time and scope.
elaborate a remarque as you are thinking about. That takes him a full day or even 2. (He doesn't do anything quickly.

Rahfa
01-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Well...okay...but I didn't see one or two day's work in them...but what do I know?

Randall Flagg
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
The comment had to do with a piece similar in complexity and detail as this:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9752/mwremarque.jpg

I agree that the less extravagant "Crow" and other art that was drawn in the LSOE books would likely take less time.

Rahfa
01-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah...that's a day at least. No question...

thegreattim
01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Huh. Short of actually reading all 2800+ posts RF directed me too, and picking up on the discussion here...

It's a damn shame, whatever happend to the art. Too bad especially, since it seems like Wheelan doen't even know either. Well, I guess that confirms that when I do buy my LSoE, I won't hold out for the full priced, wrapped books. No need if there is no possible reward.

e_taylor
01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the input on the artwork. I have an Alex McVey original en route as well. Once they are framed I'll post pictures!

oy-the-brave
01-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Randall Flagg

Originally Posted bt Wizardsrainbow

It's a shame that even the Whelans are perplexed by the missing remarques, my guess would be they are with the Palavercon paintings that were suposed to be available to attendees for bid/purchase :angry:

Jimimck
01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
The books with the KA or CK eye drawings were not part of the 30-50 remarqued books.

There have been quite a few of the KA/eye drawings that have shown up on ebay etc. I got one in my copy of the signed limited.

How do we know these aren't included in the remarqued books? perhaps since so few have actually shown up in the hands of collectors, maybe these are actually what was originally referred too? or at least included in the 30-50 estimation?

Or is there some info out there that answers this question that I don't know? (apologies if so)

Randall Flagg
01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
There are several thousand posts discussing, speculating.

Jimimck
01-12-2011, 04:35 PM
And the general consensus from those thousands of posts regarding why the eye and ka are not considered one of the 30-50 remarques is....?

carlosdetweiller
01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
First you need to define the word "remarque" and then decide if the definition is inclusive enough to include the drawings (doodles really) of the eye and ka. A remarque (as defined on this site) is "any darned thing an artist or author (or any other person for that matter, i.e. publisher, editor, proofreader, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, vagrant, illegal immigrant, etc.) draws, doodles, paints, etches, engraves or causes to be put on a page in a book by any other method and isn't a simple signature or inscription." Personally I think that this should include the little doodles of the eyes and kas. But that is just my opinion.

Randall Flagg
01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
And the general consensus from those thousands of posts regarding why the eye and ka are not considered one of the 30-50 remarques is....?

First you need to define the word "remarque" and then decide if the definition is inclusive enough to include the drawings (doodles really) of the eye and ka. A remarque (as defined on this site) is "any darned thing an artist or author (or any other person for that matter, i.e. publisher, editor, proofreader, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, vagrant or illegal immigrant) draws, doodles, paints, etches, engraves or causes to be put on a page by any other method and isn't a simple signature or inscription." Personally I think that this should include the little doodles of the eyes and kas. But that is just my opinion.

I think Bob is teasing a bit.
Just me, but I would say the eyes and Ka symbols are "doodles". I would guess that each took moments to do.
The single and double page intricate pieces are original art (whether called a Remarque or not) and took hours each. I doubt Whelan did 30-50 drawings in the books that each took hours to do. It wouldn't surprise me if MW drew hundreds of Eyes or Ka symbols.

oy-the-brave
01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
The reason the KA and eye doodles are not considered to be part of the Whelan "remarques" is that Michael Whelan told us they were not (I am not going to try to find the actual post that states this but I suspect it was in answer to a question from David (wizardsrainbow) to either Michael or Audrey Whelan and their response was the KA/eye doodles were not part of the 30-50 remarques).

willie3
01-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Would like to find a UK S/L of The Passage with the slipcase by Goldsboro books.
The ones on ebay are running around $300.
I think that is way overpriced.
Thoughts?

Karl

Jimimck
01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
The reason the KA and eye doodles are not considered to be part of the Whelan "remarques" is that Michael Whelan told us they were not (I am not going to try to find the actual post that states this but I suspect it was in answer to a question from David (wizardsrainbow) to either Michael or Audrey Whelan and their response was the KA/eye doodles were not part of the 30-50 remarques).

Ah - thanks for the info.

First you need to define the word "remarque" and then decide if the definition is inclusive enough to include the drawings (doodles really) of the eye and ka. A remarque (as defined on this site) is "any darned thing an artist or author (or any other person for that matter, i.e. publisher, editor, proofreader, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, vagrant, illegal immigrant, etc.) draws, doodles, paints, etches, engraves or causes to be put on a page in a book by any other method and isn't a simple signature or inscription." Personally I think that this should include the little doodles of the eyes and kas. But that is just my opinion. I agree. I'd be happy with any extra "doodle" as it were and consider that a remarque. I hear what people are saying though, in that many peoples definition will differ and so hard to get a consensus.

Rahfa
01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
The consensus is that the 'eye' and 'ka' symbols are not worth all that much, both for lack of true rarity and general artisitc merit...but, sure, I have no argument with the remarqued definition. (I have one, but I don't think it's uber-rare or anything)...

Obviously, based on what we've seen, the biggest remarques MW did - if they appear - would likely command at or above the Dameron artwork. In fact, the two that have been sold hit about $1K each, if I remember right...it was a lot, I know that.

pixiedark76
01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a question about the Viking Editions of "The Dark Tower Series" They don't seem to be worth very much right now, will the Viking editions ever increase in value? Will the viking editions ever be worth as much as the first edition Grant editions?

jhanic
01-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Because the Grant editions are the true first printings, I doubt the Viking editions, even the Revised Gunslinger, will ever be even close in value.

John

carlosdetweiller
01-13-2011, 06:38 PM
I have a question about the Viking Editions of "The Dark Tower Series" They don't seem to be worth very much right now, will the Viking editions ever increase in value? Will the viking editions ever be worth as much as the first edition Grant editions?

I doubt that they (the Vikings) will ever increase in value much. I don't know the publication numbers but there are probably just too many of them out there. The thing about the Grant editions, to collectors, is that they are the "true" first editions and will probably always be desirable to collectors because of that and command a decent price.

thegreattim
01-13-2011, 08:10 PM
It's been mildly interesting to me to see the prices rise a little though. They are selling for more than retail (~$30) and a 1/1 of the revised DT:1 goes for a bit more still, I've seen upwards of ~$70. This may be due to the ubiquitous nature of their BCE counterparts. I've yet to see an actual trade edition in used book stores. I've had to obtain mine from eBay as they were released before I was a true collector.

east-tennessee
01-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Somewhere I read there were 60,000 copies of the vikings made, I think from the Collectors web site.
I really like these Viking editions, and they seem hard to find in fine shape, with a full # line and the price on the DJ.
As far as increase in value, only time and the demand will tell.........

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_258.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_259.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-13-2011, 08:17 PM
60,00 is what is reported, including in our Catalog-Gunslinger Revised-Viking 1st (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Gunslinger+The+DTI+Revised+-+Trade+HC+Viking)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Viking_DTI_Rear.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Gunslinger_revised_spine.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Gunslinger_revised_face.jpg

east-tennessee
01-13-2011, 09:00 PM
I've not read the Viking Gunslinger revised edition, Is there that much difference from the grant ed.?
Anyone read both and can comment on the differences?

Brian.....

Randall Flagg
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Mostly subtle differences and a few changes that help the later books tie together better. Somewhere in our Gilead section there is a comparison of the two.

shibus
01-13-2011, 09:25 PM

I doubt that they (the Vikings) will ever increase in value much. I don't know the publication numbers but there are probably just too many of them out there. The thing about the Grant editions, to collectors, is that they are the "true" first editions and will probably always be desirable to collectors because of that and command a decent price.

Unless of course it looks like this........

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/dt1vik.JPG

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-14-2011, 12:32 AM
60,000 for the 1st printing. There have been more printings since.

biomieg
01-14-2011, 01:07 AM
I didn't even realize there were BCEs of the Viking reissues (it makes sense, of course). I bought my copies in a local bookstore here in The Netherlands in 2003, also before I was truly 'collecting'. All except THE GUNSLINGER (a 2nd printing) are true 1sts. I love the cover art of these books.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-14-2011, 03:30 AM

Because the Grant editions are the true first printings, I doubt the Viking editions, even the Revised Gunslinger, will ever be even close in value.

John

I agree with John, the Viking editions will never see the 1st edition value. However, the value of the Viking editions in good condition with full number line has seen a value rise over the past year. Again, you have to make sure the full number line is there. Many releases after the initial 60,000 1st prints of each.

Mulleins

east-tennessee
01-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Mostly subtle differences and a few changes that help the later books tie together better. Somewhere in our Gilead section there is a comparison of the two.

Thanks, I'm going to read the series again soon, I believe I"ll get a reading copy of the Viking Gunslinger.
It may be awhile, as I'm currenty reading The Hellfire Club by Straub...

Brian...

Merlin1958
01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
The Viking DJ's are kinda cooler though. Sorta like UK's almost. I like them better, but the Grant's are the real deal!!!

thegreattim
01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I agree, the Viking jackets are quite nicely done.

Randall Flagg
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
I never got the cover for Viking reprint The Waste Lands. I know there is an evil train back story, but it's certainly doesn't look like the "Choo Choo", nor "Blaine the Mono".
I love the art itself.

Merlin1958
01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I never got the cover for Viking reprint The Waste Lands. I know there is an evil train back story, but it's certainly doesn't look like the "Choo Choo", nor "Blaine the Mono".
I love the art itself.

Not sure what you mean. I'm confused, The cover is dedicated to "Blaine the Mono" whatever the interpetation may be. Maybe I mis-understood?

Randall Flagg
01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Blaine the Mono was a future train, running (primarily) on elevated tracks, powered by nuclear engines. Not a locomotive.

http://colddrake.com/images/wl-portfolio.jpg

gheniki
01-14-2011, 08:57 PM
I have a thrift store hardcover copy of Pet Sematary, no dust jacket, no print edition listed, no library of congress info....

on the inside cover it's stamped "employee book sale. not to be resold" with an emblem of a capital "D" on top of an anchor ("D"=Doubleday?).

Page 372 has the mark "N47".

Any thoughts?

Roland of Gilead 33
01-15-2011, 12:50 AM
i have a copy of "Rage' not in great condition though. i got it for my b-day my 16th i think? 1st printing by "Richard Bachman" anyways, one question though i also kept my issue of TV Guide of they did when they mini-series of "The Shining" aired in (1997) it had the original start or whatever it's

called of "The Shining" that "SK" cut in (1977) my question is really simple, is that worth anything? i don't plan on selling it but i'm curious actually.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-15-2011, 01:44 AM
one question though i also kept my issue of TV Guide of they did when they mini-series of "The Shining" aired in (1997) it had the original start or whatever it's called of "The Shining" that "SK" cut in (1977) my question is really simple, is that worth anything? i don't plan on selling it but i'm curious actually.

There are only 2 of the 5 "missing" chapters of The Shining in the TV Guide. The full 5 "missing" chapters, called "Before the Play" were first printed in Whispers magazine in August 1982.

The TV Guide is not worth more than $5.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-15-2011, 02:25 AM
I have a thrift store hardcover copy of Pet Sematary, no dust jacket, no print edition listed, no library of congress info....

on the inside cover it's stamped "employee book sale. not to be resold" with an emblem of a capital "D" on top of an anchor ("D"=Doubleday?).

Any thoughts?

King wrote Pet Sematary between February 1979 and December 1982. His manuscript was issued as a pre-publication uncorrected galley by Doubleday in 1983.

The gutter code N47 is for the 47th week of 1972. This is long before King signed for Doubleday. There is something wrong with your description.

jhanic
01-15-2011, 04:56 AM

Any thoughts?

Would it be possible to post some pictures?

John

ELazansky
01-15-2011, 05:28 AM
I don't know all the details about the gutter codes, but I found a listing online that shows more than one letter possible for the same year - http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/Gutter_Codes The examples they list for 1983 have a Y and an N possible.

Y N 1983
Y11 The Third World Way: The Untold Story (Macmillan 1982)
N34 The 1983 Annual World's Best SF (DAW 1983)

So maybe this N also came out in 1983? If I'm not right here, please let me know. I'm always for learning something new.

Randall Flagg
01-15-2011, 06:01 AM
N could also be 1998.

carlosdetweiller
01-15-2011, 06:18 AM

Any thoughts?

I don't think it has any value to a collector and does not have much (any) monetary worth, if that is what you are asking. It sounds like a typical, beat-up garage sale book. I've seen the "Doubleday Employee Book Sale" stamps inside some of King's earlier books (like CARRIE and THE SHINING). I think they lessen the value of the book rather than enhance it. Is that what you are asking?

biomieg
01-15-2011, 11:02 AM
It's definitely nothing like a 'publisher's copy' in the traditional and desirable sense (from a collector's POV). As Jerome says, the N could also represent a later year ('Z' equals 1984 and then the alphabet cycle starts over again) but I vaguely remember (or I'm thinking that I do) that later gutter codes have a double letter.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-15-2011, 12:05 PM
thanxs for letting me know. i don't have that issue of the full story called "Before The Play" i actually couldn't think of it's title at the time i wrote it. so thanxs for letting me know.

Patrick
01-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Unless of course it looks like this........

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/dt1vik.JPG

Well played, Greg.

Patrick
01-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Here are three posts in the LSOE thread that will bring members up to speed on this subject.
(For a more robust understanding of the conversation, read as much of the linked LSOE thread as you like before and after these posts.)

How many sketchy-doodles and how many "remarques" (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?577-Little-Sisters-of-Eluria-%28Revised-Gunslinger%29&p=323894&viewfull=1#post323894)

Meaningful drawings are in the A/E's not the S/L's (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?577-Little-Sisters-of-Eluria-%28Revised-Gunslinger%29&p=345931&viewfull=1#post345931)

Three LSOE "remarques" (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?577-Little-Sisters-of-Eluria-%28Revised-Gunslinger%29&p=408854&viewfull=1#post408854)

By the way, pinpointing these three posts took way too long. :doh:

carlosdetweiller
01-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Anyone else heard of Whelan doing little drawings in the AE of DT7? I don't have one in my copies of LSOE but I did come across this one in DT7.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/whelandrawingDT7.jpg

carlosdetweiller
01-15-2011, 06:59 PM
While browsing through copies of LSOE looking for added drawings I came across this in a "PC" edition of the S/L of LSOE. Instead of signing his real name King signed this one as Roland (of Gilead). Wild, huh?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/KingsignsasRoland.jpg

Pasiuk57
01-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Bob
two great copies!!

Fsmdr
01-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Very cool, Bob!.

I've never seen the King signature like that. I do own one of those sketched AE of DT7.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5150/dt7remaque.jpg

Patrick
01-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Those are all very cool!

Jimimck
01-15-2011, 11:12 PM

Here are three posts in the LSOE thread that will bring members up to speed on this subject.
(For a more robust understanding of the conversation, read as much of the linked LSOE thread as you like before and after these posts.)

How many sketchy-doodles and how many "remarques" (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?577-Little-Sisters-of-Eluria-%28Revised-Gunslinger%29&p=323894&viewfull=1#post323894)

Meaningful drawings are in the A/E's not the S/L's (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?577-Little-Sisters-of-Eluria-%28Revised-Gunslinger%29&p=345931&viewfull=1#post345931)

Three LSOE "remarques" (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?577-Little-Sisters-of-Eluria-%28Revised-Gunslinger%29&p=408854&viewfull=1#post408854)

Thanks Patrick!

jhanic
01-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Bob and Juliana, very, very nice!

John

thegreattim
01-16-2011, 05:20 AM
While browsing through copies of LSOE looking for added drawings I came across this in a "PC" edition of the S/L of LSOE. Instead of signing his real name King signed this one as Roland (of Gilead). Wild, huh?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/KingsignsasRoland.jpg

That is COOL! Thanks for the pic, Bob.

thegreattim
01-16-2011, 05:21 AM

Thanks Patrick!

I also second the thanking of Patrick for this. The threads sometimes get soooo long and it's just not worth wading through. Patrick, you are very dedicated. :)

carlosdetweiller
01-16-2011, 05:30 AM
The threads sometimes get soooo long and it's just not worth wading through.

The search functions also work pretty well. I just used it to search for something in another thread and found the post I was looking for in about 15 seconds.

thegreattim
01-16-2011, 06:04 AM

The search functions also work pretty well. I just used it to search for something in another thread and found the post I was looking for in about 15 seconds.

Also true. Thanks for the reminder.

Bev Vincent
01-16-2011, 09:04 AM

At NECON a few years ago I saw a copy of Black House where Peter had signed Steve's name and vice versa.

biomieg
01-16-2011, 12:47 PM
That is extremely cool!

Ari_Racing
01-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Karen auctioned that copy of LSOE. I suspected Bob was the winner. Now it's confirmed. :)

Patrick
01-16-2011, 10:03 PM

Thanks Patrick!
I also second the thanking of Patrick for this. The threads sometimes get soooo long and it's just not worth wading through. Patrick, you are very dedicated. :)
You're welcome, guys. Glad you appreciate the effort, and it was also nice to find and re-read those posts myself as well.

Also true. Thanks for the reminder.
Bob is correct, the search function is very useful. It is especially useful when searching a thread for a particular book title, for instance. In this case, it still took a good amount of time to wade through all the discussions using the word "remarque" to find the source information. That word is everywhere around here.

carlosdetweiller
01-17-2011, 04:31 AM
In this case, it still took a good amount of time to wade through all the discussions using the word "remarque" to find the source information. That word is everywhere around here.

Here a remarque. There a remarque. Everywhere a remarque.

Patrick
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
In this case, it still took a good amount of time to wade through all the discussions using the word "remarque" to find the source information. That word is everywhere around here.

Looking up those posts did remind me how fond I had been of the term "sketchy-doodle." Maybe it's due for a comeback.

thegreattim
01-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Looking up those posts did remind me how fond I had been of the term "sketchy-doodle." Maybe it's due for a comeback.

Indeed. I'll start using it too! As in...
Perusing my collection thread, one may be likely to see my several Joe Hill sketchy-doodles.

Patrick
01-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Indeed. I'll start using it too! As in...
Perusing my collection thread, one may be likely to see my several Joe Hill sketchy-doodles.
Yes, Joe Hill commonly adds sketchy-doodles to his signatures, but he leaves the remarques to the artists.

biomieg
01-17-2011, 12:27 PM
It so happens that I too, have a hillysketchydoodle in my modest collection of all things 'Hill'.

idlewarnings
01-18-2011, 03:08 PM
I got this copy of Desperation from the LW Currey sale. Looks like the dj was applied off center. Is Grant supposed to be centered at the bottom or was this one folded funny?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/IMG_0529.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Right or wrong, mine is the same as yours.

biomieg
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Mine as well.

Jimimck
01-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Mine seems to be aligned in the middle

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/jimimck/Stephen%20King%20Books/DSC06454.jpg

Stockerlone
01-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Regarding - Joe Hill sketchy-doodle-remarqued.... :wtf:
Blind - Heart-Shaped Box signed

Think this two mini-hearts are my tinyest JH sketchy-doodles
http://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=156345693&imageType=image

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Got my DESPERATION when it came out and it is also centered.

idlewarnings
01-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone. Based on the layout, I think it's supposed to be centered. I've never had any luck trying to refold a dust jacket so I'm going to leave it. Still a nice looking book.

Randall Flagg
01-19-2011, 07:15 AM
You can order one from Grant books for $5
Link (https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-books-djs.html)

frik
01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Both my copies are off-centre.

sk

idlewarnings
01-19-2011, 09:36 AM
You can order one from Grant books for $5
Link (https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-books-djs.html)

Thanks, Jerome.

shnnrc01
01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
mine is centered also.

Randall Flagg
01-19-2011, 10:39 AM
FYI, Grant books charges a $5 handling fee on each transaction. A Desperation DJ is $12 with shipping and handling. It would behoove the buyer to order the DJ when they are ordering other items.

herbertwest
01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Anyone have an information about a possible reprint of CREEPSHOW?

I am not saying it gets reprinted but... it's the case in France next month, and i find it hard to believe that it doesnt get republished in english language too...