PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Care for Your Dust Jackets

mae
11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
This may be a weird question, but here goes. Is there a way to clean a glossy dust jacket that has these spots. I'm not sure what the spots are from, perhaps dirt or somesuch. I'm sure you guys will know what I'm talking about. I just bought a book that has a dark dust jacket and its beauty is ruined by these rather numerous spots all over. Rubbing it with a napkin and my shirt did not produce much of a result. What to do?

:orely:

Randall Flagg
11-01-2007, 04:58 PM
That is tough without knowing the stain. If the DJ is glossy, you can try to clean with a barely damp cloth. Most soil and oils would come out that way. If it is a grease type substance, a tiny amount of liquid dish soap on the cloth will help.
Prior to trying any of these on the DJ itself, experiment on a DJ that is similar (glossy etc) that if damaged won't be a problem-not only can you figure out what cleanser might damage a DJ, but you can also get an idea how hard you can rub before damage occurs.
How valuable is the DJ? If it and the book are only worth a few bucks you have nothing to lose. If it's a 1st edition 1st printing Gunslinger trade DJ I would ponder and research longer before jumping right in with mineral spirits etc.

mae
11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
It's these spots that to me look sort of like scuff marks. The jacket isn't new, and so I'm looking for a way to "polish" it.

Randall Flagg
11-01-2007, 06:54 PM
If they are scuff marks, they are likely to remain. A dustjacket in my experience can not be polished. A Dj is just glossy paper, not paint covered metal.

Patrick
11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
This stuff is great on spots and scuff marks!

http://www.autobarndeals.com/catalog/tucapawax14o.jpg

No, no, I'm only kidding. Sorry.

Unfortunately I think you're stuck with the scuff marks, but adding a nice Brodart jacket cover might make them less noticeable to the casual observer.

Nerak
11-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Patrick beat me to the brodart dust jacket suggestion...

but, yeah, scuff marks cannot be "buffed out"

Brice
11-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Actually, I spent the last hour or two looking up book restoration and paper conservation. There are in fact ways to remove them, but I wouldn't reccomend trying it yourself if the books are of a high value. I'd suggest contacting someone who does paper conservation professionally. I did send emails out to a couple places to see if I got any suggestions.

Cutter
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Here's a link with some book cleaning products. One might be up your alley

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/yourhomelibrary/book_repair.htm

Ikilledthecrimsonking
11-02-2007, 05:24 PM
i agrey with Pablo

sarajean
11-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Actually, I spent the last hour or two looking up book restoration and paper conservation. There are in fact ways to remove them, but I wouldn't reccomend trying it yourself if the books are of a high value. I'd suggest contacting someone who does paper conservation professionally. I did send emails out to a couple places to see if I got any suggestions.

wow. brice is on top of things. awesome. :D

Patrick
11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
:blush:

mae
11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
This may help with my inquiry. The dust jacket scuff marks or whatever they may be look a lot like this:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/821/iufjw.jpg

So, again, the DJ is glossy and it feels like they could be scrubbed out with something. I just don't want to attempt anything epic and ruin the DJ unless I know it's doable.

Matt
11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I like the phrase "epic" used that way. :lol:

For me, I would be too afraid of ruining it to touch it with anything :(

Patrick
01-22-2008, 08:45 PM
This thread was buried in the Corner. I've renamed it and moved it into Tutorials for future reference and discussion. :)

jemaher
02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
any suggestions on how to improve on the typical chipping and scuffing on the gunslinger dust jacket? I have several copies and they are in broadart, but I wonder if there is a reasonable price restorationist who could touch these up and improve their eye appeal. I would hate to ruin these dj with a poor repair from an inexperienced restorationist

Randall Flagg
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I would guess that at this time, an experienced restorations person and I doubt any are familiar with this DJ) would cost more than than the DJ itself. Just guessing but one could spend ~$200-$500 for an expert restoration, and probably could find a mint jacket for <$500. In addition minor-very minor chipping still leaves an old DJ in "Fine" condition.

jemaher
02-07-2008, 08:39 AM
YEah, thats what I was afraid of, but I never actually tried to get someone to look at it so i wasnt sure. Thanks

pixiedark76
04-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a question about dust jackets. If a book has a slipcase, would you need to put a Mylar book cover on the dust jacket? Or would that be overkill?
I have a couple of slipcased books and I am worried about the dust jackets.

jhanic
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't hesitate to put a Mylar cover on a book that's in a slipcase unless it causes the book to fit too tightly into the slipcase.

John

Randall Flagg
06-20-2012, 02:54 PM
This may help with my inquiry. The dust jacket scuff marks or whatever they may be look a lot like this:

http://lookinside2-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35lerORbVvqqRqFW6C5MiZWkbpBHUlgC7YMfcuvBqN52/6EozQyxosplNV

So, again, the DJ is glossy and it feels like they could be scrubbed out with something. I just don't want to attempt anything epic and ruin the DJ unless I know it's doable.
pablo, your image is defunct.

mae
06-20-2012, 08:07 PM

http://lookinside2-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35lerORbVvqqRqFW6C5MiZWkbpBHUlgC7YMfcuvBqN52/6EozQyxosplNV

pablo, your image is defunct.

Yeah, Amazon changed something in the intervening five years. I've fixed it. Thanks.

subie09lega
08-02-2013, 08:25 AM
I have a question about dust jackets. I bought some new ones from Grant Books (rolled in a tube so never folded) and now I'm too paranoid to put them on because I'm afraid I'll mess them up (folding crookedly, etc). Does anyone have any tips for me? I didn't see another how-to with this topic so if there is one out there a link would be appreciated. One thing that peeves me is a jacket that is not aligned along the spine so the lettering it off center so this is something that I really want to get right.
Thanks!

Scoogs
08-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm assuming you already have the DJ in a Brodart or similar mylar cover.

I find it easiest to line up the spine first.
Wrap it around the book, but not around the front and back covers. This will allow you to adjust the placement on the spine and to square it up along the bottom or top edge of the cover boards. It's easiest for me to do this with the book laying on the table to help keep the jacket in place.

One you have it positioned correctly, loosely wrap the jacket around the front cover. You don't want to actually fold it yet, in case you placement is off.
Close the cover and adjust the cover to it isn't fitting too loosely and then pinch the jacket around the front board to start folding it.
I usually do that a few times to get a good fit without putting a hard crease in the DJ.

Once you are done with that, flip the book over and repeat for the back cover. Since the front cover is already folded on, this will allow you to adjust the back cover to remove any extra slack in the cover, which will make it fit nicely.

Does that all make sense?

subie09lega
08-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks Scoogs. I have Brodarts but haven't put them on. I presume I would fit the jacket then put it in the Brodart, right. Or would you put it in the protector first then fit it to the book?

Scoogs
08-02-2013, 07:52 PM
I find it easier to put the Brodart on first.

Tommy
08-02-2013, 10:22 PM
I have a question about dust jackets. I bought some new ones from Grant Books (rolled in a tube so never folded) and now I'm too paranoid to put them on because I'm afraid I'll mess them up (folding crookedly, etc). Does anyone have any tips for me? I didn't see another how-to with this topic so if there is one out there a link would be appreciated. One thing that peeves me is a jacket that is not aligned along the spine so the lettering it off center so this is something that I really want to get right.
Thanks!

This is what I did in the same sort of situation, I put the mylar on the old DJ which molded the mylar to the shape of the DJ then removed the old DJ and put the new unmolded one in it's place, the mylar will act like a perfect guide and line up the spine really well

Br!an
08-03-2013, 04:14 AM
This is what I did in the same sort of situation, I put the mylar on the old DJ which molded the mylar to the shape of the DJ then removed the old DJ and put the new unmolded one in it's place, the mylar will act like a perfect guide and line up the spine really well

There you go.

Merlin1958
08-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I find it easier to put the Brodart on first.

Really? I would think the other way, but I have never had to do it either.

subie09lega
08-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Just want to make sure I have this straight....
I have two that aren't in Brodarts so I should put the DJs I want to replace in the Brodarts so the protector will be prefitted and then put the new jackets in.

Tommy
08-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Just want to make sure I have this straight....
I have two that aren't in Brodarts so I should put the DJs I want to replace in the Brodarts so the protector will be prefitted and then put the new jackets in.

Yeah, so the old dust jacket that already has the creases in it will make a mold out of the mylar and then the unfolded DJ will be molded by the mylar into it's correct shape, you just have to put it in to where the spine is in place and the mylar will do the rest, wish I could do it for you because I have done probably about five hundred covers now and I can do it in my sleep, once you do a few dozen of them, you will be a pro at it :dance:

subie09lega
08-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your help guys, glad I asked before I started on this project.

Tommy
08-04-2013, 05:16 AM
no prob, hope it worked out all right for you :cool:

BrighterDeathNow
03-21-2014, 08:29 AM
There hasn't been a post made in this thread in over a year, but hopefully some will see this.

What are your thoughts on stickers that are placed on dust jackets? Should they be removed? Or not.

jhanic
03-21-2014, 08:40 AM
They should be removed if they have been applied by the bookstore or seller. They can actually decrease the value of the book.

John

BrighterDeathNow
03-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Sorry, should have put this in my first post.

The sticker in question is a metallic gold seal stating "10th Anniversary Edition w/introduction by Author". Placed there by the publisher I'm guessing. I tried posting a photo but it was huge in the preview window.

ELazansky
03-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Sorry, should have put this in my first post.

The sticker in question is a metallic gold seal stating "10th Anniversary Edition w/introduction by Author". Placed there by the publisher I'm guessing. I tried posting a photo but it was huge in the preview window.

I would leave that one on the book, since it came that way from the publisher

stroppygoblin
03-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Stickered books often become a different 'state' of an edition. For Example, Cycle of the Werewolf (PB) has 3 states, the 1st two differ only because of a sticker that was added when the Movie Silver bullet was released.

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/8637/img062zs.jpg

becca69
03-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Oh, and in case you want to remove stickers that have been there a while or are really sticky, I've found that Clean Cover Gel is awesome and removes all traces of residue. It also is good for removing marker, pen and most dirt. This only applies to glossy coated dust jackets. I wouldn't try it on an unfinished paper but it does work on fabric covered books.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies/cleaning/_/Clean-Cover-Gel/

BrighterDeathNow
03-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Here's the sticker in question.

Would you leave it?

http://i.imgur.com/MbRZn2x.jpg

Dan
03-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes, if it were me I would leave it. I remove stickers that have something like 20% off or the name of the store.

ELazansky
03-21-2014, 11:34 AM

Would you leave it?

Yes, leave it

becca69
03-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Leave it.

jhanic
03-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Would you leave it?

I'd leave that one on there. As Eric and the Goblin said, if it's from the publisher, leave it there.

John

BrighterDeathNow
03-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

Merlin1958
03-22-2014, 06:42 PM

Would you leave it?

Yes, leave it since it is not a First/First. otherwise, remove it and if possible re-apply it to the Brodart cover. IMHO

jhanic
03-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Bill, I don't agree. You take the chance of damaging the dust jacket if you try to remove the sticker. I'd say if it's put on by the publisher, leave it alone,

John

Merlin1958
03-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Bill, I don't agree. You take the chance of damaging the dust jacket if you try to remove the sticker. I'd say if it's put on by the publisher, leave it alone,

John

You make a very good point. In my experience though you can generally tell if it's coming off in the first couple picks at it. If the publisher puts it on I suppose you're right and should just leave well enough alone. What really ticks me off is the B&N 20% off stickers!! Usually they come off in one piece, but they can be a real PITA!!!

jhanic
03-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Agreed!

John

Merlin1958
03-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Agreed!

John

:clap::clap: Imagine that!! LOL You're a corker, John!! LOL You may have just inspired me to start a B&N 20% sticker mural!! LOL

Br!an
03-23-2014, 04:59 PM

John

I tend to agree. A publisher's sticker is the exception.

Also perhaps not everyone should attempt to remove stickers.

becca69
03-24-2014, 01:43 PM

John

Seriously, Clean Cover Gel takes all stickers off - no damage. I love this stuff.

Merlin1958
03-25-2014, 12:34 PM

John

Seriously, Clean Cover Gel takes all stickers off - no damage. I love this stuff.

Do tell. Where do you get it? Links?

becca69
03-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Bill, I posted it on the previous page, but here it is again: http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies/cleaning/_/Clean-Cover-Gel/

Merlin1958
03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Bill, I posted it on the previous page, but here it is again: http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies/cleaning/_/Clean-Cover-Gel/

I didn't see it, but thanks for the re-post!!! I'm gonna get me some!!

becca69
03-25-2014, 01:19 PM

I didn't see it, but thanks for the re-post!!! I'm gonna get me some!!

It works great on marker too!

stroppygoblin
03-26-2014, 08:38 AM
would this safely take an old sticker off say, a Science Fiction and Fantasy book? Also I have seen in comments that it has a strong smell - does that last?

ajw2910
03-13-2021, 04:28 PM
What size Brodart covers do you buy that would be good for “most” books? I look on their site and there are many options. I bought from them before but don’t recall what size I bought. What would you guys recommend?

Garrell
03-13-2021, 07:59 PM
I buy 12” rolls.

ajw2910
03-15-2021, 05:37 PM
Thanks Garrell. I just went with an order of single sheets and an acrylic display stand for my S/L of The Stand. Was not sure I wanted to buy a roll in case it wasn’t what I wanted. Hadn’t bought from Brodart before, but the company I had bought from doesn’t sell them any more so choices seem to be limited.

Br!an
03-16-2021, 11:24 AM
Thanks Garrell. I just went with an order of single sheets and an acrylic display stand for my S/L of The Stand. Was not sure I wanted to buy a roll in case it wasn’t what I wanted. Hadn’t bought from Brodart before, but the company I had bought from doesn’t sell them any more so choices seem to be limited.

Most King books are 9 1/2". Many other books are 10 inches. Then there are larger, and smaller, books.

The 12" roll will work with the majority of books you will ever need to cover. Of course, if the book is taller than 12" it won't work. That would be rather rare.

Merlin1958
03-16-2021, 02:29 PM
Appreciate all the reply posts, but Brodart sells specific sets of sheets at a certain size that services 90% of the books out there and I just cannot recall (and I believe others here are asking as well) what that specific size specs are. I don't like ordering "sheets" because that involves cutting and what not which I'm not very good at. I recall there was a specific size to order and for the life of me I can't recall that size and dispensed with the Brodart packaging in error. Anyone here recall or order these in the same fashion?

ajw2910
03-17-2021, 03:06 PM
Bill, I contacted them asking for covers that were 10” high. They came back to me saying to order SKU #10507603. Just received today and have yet to open the box. Once I start putting some on I can let you know.

cit74
03-17-2021, 03:27 PM
I get the just a fold archival sheets - in 5 separate sizes - 8, 9, 10, 12, 14. Its like a bell curve - majority of books are 10", then 9", and the others make up the tails on the curve

Merlin1958
03-17-2021, 04:04 PM
Bill, I contacted them asking for covers that were 10” high. They came back to me saying to order SKU #10507603. Just received today and have yet to open the box. Once I start putting some on I can let you know.

Cool Beans!! Thx, man!!

ajw2910
03-25-2021, 11:49 AM
Bill, started putting a few on books last night. These seem to be good for most regular sized books. Easy to get on the jacket and they have 3 tabs of adhesive that attaches to the paper backing of the cover (not the dust jacket) so it stays in place.