PDA

View Full Version : Companion Novels

Storyslinger
10-29-2007, 05:50 AM
I was just wondering if anyone liked the idea of the companion novels The Regulators and Desperation. Do you think there should be some more of these?

Darkthoughts
10-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Yes, its interesting to see not just connections, but to have the actual plot and characters flipped the way they were with these two. As a concept I loved it.

Storyslinger
10-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Would you like to see him write something else in this kind of format.

Or....would you like to see this done with an already existing book

Darkthoughts
10-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Hmm...good question - something new, but also...I don't know I'll have to think about it :thumbsup:

Storyslinger
10-29-2007, 07:21 AM
*wait for Darkthoughts and others*

Randall Flagg
10-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Well, if you mean the tandem books should be a King/Bachman duo, then what existing King or Bachman books would be the best to have a "twin"?
Perhaps The Dark Half?

Ruki
10-29-2007, 12:57 PM
ooohh good answer! i'd love to see that happen.

Heather19
10-29-2007, 01:40 PM
That's a very interesting question. I had never thought about it before. I loved the idea of Desperation and The Regulators, and would love to see him do that again with a story. But I'm not too sure I'd be happy if he decided to do it with a novel already published.

Wuducynn
10-29-2007, 04:45 PM
I love the idea. I also loved The Regulators and Desperation. I wish he would do something like them again. Maybe Black House 3 somehow? Hmmmm

Storyslinger
10-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Agreed, That would be awesome to do something like that with Black House

Cutter
11-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Well I going to expound on this question and make my own observations. I like when King uses same settings and/or characters. The Dark Tower obviously falls into the category, as does the Talisman books, along with the Regulators/Desperation. Also using other characters from other stories like Dinky Ernshaw (spelling?) from Everything’s Eventual into the Dark tower is cool.

So what I would go for a new twosome book like The Regulators and Desperation, but I would also like King to use a setting again, for example another fantasy tale set within Eyes of the Dragon. Or how about having Randall Flag as a villain in another story? King already does this a ton, as he reuses characters and towns like Castle Rock left and right. But I like this stuff, I like the familiarity.

Also I would like to see a couple of short stories involving Pennywise. Why not? There were a couple of ‘Salem Lot short stories. I would love to read more of Pennywise.

Sorry for derailing this thread with my own interpretation of the question. lol
:pirate:

Storyslinger
11-06-2007, 06:21 AM
NOt a problem, I like your thinking. Plus, it does kind of stick with the whole companion thing. I would love for King to write another story in old settings like in EOTD. But, I think that so many of King's characters keep showing up in other things, besides that ka is a wheel, is that he hates to kill off his characters.

ZoNeSeeK
11-15-2007, 05:34 PM
A modern version of Eyes of the Dragon would be very interesting, I think ;)

Storyslinger
11-16-2007, 06:46 AM
That would be even better than it set in the old time. I would love to see how it would pan out in our world, great idea Zone

Jean
11-16-2007, 07:05 AM
friends... I know I will sound silly, the thread being already so long... but can someone explain to me what was the big idea behind Desperation / The Regulators companionship? I could never ever understand that.

Randall Flagg
11-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Do you mean what was the inspiration to write the stories in general, or what was the inspiration to write companion novels, or literally what was all the fuss about?

Jean
11-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Literally. I see different people having the same names, and I don't know what the point of that was.

Spencer
11-17-2007, 08:37 AM
To me, it was to show the dichotomy between King and Bachman and their very different interpretations of the same characters.

Jean
11-17-2007, 09:19 AM
I see the dichotomy, but I don't see the same characters! What are they?

Randall Flagg
11-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Edited:
Sorry I didn't put spoiler warnings up. The site and the following contain info on characters that die in one or both novels.

Borrowed from another site (http://users.cybercity.dk/~nmb21186/desreg.htm)with much more info:

Ames, Steve
Desperation:
- he is a nice person from Lubbock, Texas. Driver of the Ryder, works for Johnny Marinville. He survives.

The Regulators:
- he has long grey hair, and wears a rock T-shirt. Also driver of the Ryder, but doesn't work for Johnny Marinville. He survives.

Billingsley, Tom
Desperation:
- he is a retired alcoholic veterinarian. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's a retired veterinarian. Called "Old Doc" by most people. He survives.

Carver, David
Desperation:
- he is a eleven-year-old boy. Son of the Carver family.

The Regulators:
- he is the husband and father of the Carver family. A Postal worker. He dies.

Carver, Ellen
Desperation:
- she is the wife and mother of the Carver family. She dies.

The Regulators:
- she is the eleven-year-old daughter of the Carver family. She survives.

Carver, Kirsten
Desperation:
- she is the seven-year-old daughter of the Carver family.

The Regulators:
- she is the wife and mother of the Carver family. She dies.

Carver, Ralph
Desperation:
- he's the husband and father of the Carver family. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's the snotty little son of the Carver family. He survives.

Entragian, Collier
Desperation:
- he's the maniac cop. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's an ex-cop. He dies.

Garin, Seth
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- he's the seven-year-old autistic nephew of Audrey Wyler. He dies.

Geller, Frank
Desperation:
- he's the Chief Mining Engineer of Desperation Mining Corp. He dies.

The Regulators:
- Kim Geller's husband, father of Susi. Not a player. Lives.

Geller, Kim
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- she's the mother of Susi Geller. She dies.

Geller, Susi
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- she's the teenage daughter of Kim and Frank. She survives.

Hannibal
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- he's a German Sheperd owned by the Reed's. He dies.

Jackson, Mary
Desperation:
- she's the wife of Peter Jackson. She survives.

The Regulators:
- she's the wife of Peter Jackson. She dies.

Jackson, Peter
Desperation:
- he's the husband of Mary, assistant professor of English. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's the Husband of Mary, teacher. He dies.

Josephson, Belinda
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- she's the wife of Brad. She survives.

Josephson, Brad
Desperation:
- he's the Secretary at Deep Mining, Corp. Gorgeous chocolate skin, long, sloping gut. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's the husband of Belinda. Gorgeous chocolate skin, long, sloping gut. He survives.

Marinville, Johnny
Desperation:
- a writer, kind of a jerk. Long, greying hair. 56 years-old. Hero. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's a writer, and a nicer guy. Survives.

Marinville, Terry
Desperation:
- Johnny's ex-wife, voice in his head.

The Regulators:
- Johnny's ex-wife, voice in his head.

Martin, Reverend
Desperation:
- David's advisor on things religious. He dies.

The Regulators:
- Mary Jackson's illicit lover, although not a priest.

Reed, Cammie
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- she's the mother of David and Jim Reed. She dies.

Reed, Charlie
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- he's the husband of Cammie, not a player. He lives.

Reed, David
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- he's one of Cammie's twin sons. He survives

Reed, Jim
Desperation:
- he's the Desperation Town Safety Officer. Fat. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's one of Cammie's twin sons. He dies.

Ripton, Cary
Desperation:
- he's the Pit Foreman at the China Pit. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's a fourteen-year-old paperboy. He dies.

Ross, Brian
Desperation:
- he's David's best friend. Coma-boy. He survives.

The Regulators:
- not present...

Ross, Debbie
Desperation:
- she's Brian's mother. Not a player. She lives.

The Regulators:
- she's the red-headed galpal of the Reed twins. She dies.

Ross, Mark
Desperation:
- he's Brian's father. Not a player. He lives.

The Regulators:
- Not a player.

Smith, Cynthia
Desperation:
- she's a two-toned hair girl, skinny, hangs with Steve Ames. She survives.

The Regulators:
- Two-toned hair girl, skinny, hangs with Steve Ames. Survives.

Soderson, Gary
Desperation:
- he's the husband of Marielle, friend of the Jacksons. Lives in Lake Tahoe. Not a player.

The Regulators:
- he's Marielle's husband. He dies.

Soderson, Marielle
Desperation:
- she's the wife of Gary, friend of the Jacksons. Lives in Lake Tahoe. Not a player.

The Regulators:
- she's Gary's wife. She dies.

Symes, Allen
Desperation:
- he's the Desperation Mining Corp. comptroller. He dies.

The Regulators:
- he's a Geologist for Deep Earth Mining Co. Not a player. He lives.

Tak
Desperation:
- Can de lach. Buried in Rattlesnake Number One.

The Regulators:
- Nasty evil presence in Seth. It escapes.

Wyler, Audrey
Desperation:
- she's a consulting geologist for Diablo Mining. She dies.

The Regulators:
- she's the wife of Herb, and aunt of Seth. She dies.

Wyler, Herb
Desperation:
- not present...

The Regulators:
- he's the husband of Audrey, and uncle of Seth. He dies.

Jean
11-17-2007, 11:42 PM
RF: thank you very, very much for the list and the work you have done - I am sorry I wasn't a little clearer in phrasing my question. I see the dichotomy, and I do see the same names; I still do not see how they are the same people, or mirrored people, or people in any way connected, and what was the point of giving them the same names.

I remember when I was reading The Regulators for the first time - soon after Desperation - I was very impressed, during the first quarter or so, by those names, and wondered what would come out of it. And then, as it seemed to me, nothing did, and I thought, WTF? Now I see that there are people who do see some deep meaning of all that, and I am sure they are right; - I only wish someone could explain what it is you guys see, and I don't.

Darkthoughts
11-18-2007, 06:12 AM
I only felt it was SK teasing us really.

Heather19
11-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Just a thought, but you could give 2 people a list of characters, and they could both come up with 2 completely different stories based around those same characters. For example, say you're given Collie Entragian and told he's a cop. One might make him a bad guy, and focus of their story, while the other might use him in a different way.
However, I kind of always thought of them as taking place in parallel universes or something of that sort.

Storyslinger
11-19-2007, 07:30 AM
friends... I know I will sound silly, the thread being already so long... but can someone explain to me what was the big idea behind Desperation / The Regulators companionship? I could never ever understand that.

My thought behind it was to show either1)to show what would have happen had Tak been able to find a way out, or 2)show what happens on the different levels of the tower.

Or, may King wasn't ready to let these characters go. I truly think it is the second choice though.

Thanks for that list RF

Mattrick
11-23-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm pissed as I've got Desperation and Regulators, Hard Cover and I think First Editions, in my crawlspace in a box and I can't find them. Pretty sure I've got Wizard and Glass hardcover first edition as well. A whole box of them from when I moved 9 years ago and never got a chance to read them.

Randall Flagg
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
You wouldn't want to screw them up by reading them.:nope:
That's what paperbacks are for.

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Totally agree with ya on that RF. Any book I own in Hardcover has the matching paperback counter part that has been read at least once

Mattrick
11-28-2007, 12:24 AM
I could really care less about the value. I've no interest in ending up like Calvin Toren.

Jean
11-28-2007, 12:44 AM
I only felt it was SK teasing us really.
that's the closest to how I see it, too

thank you Heather19 and Storyslinger, though, I'll be re-reading both novels in a couple of weeks and will try to see it your way (although as far as I remember, only their names were reshuffled, but not human types or destinies which were all different)

Darkthoughts
11-28-2007, 03:39 AM
To expand on what I meant there - I'm not sure how aware at that point that people were that King was Bachman, but I thought those books were almost SK giving people a not so subtle hint. Almost as if he'd tired of the charade, or was, as I said - simply teasing :)

Storyslinger
11-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Well said, Lisa, well said

Patrick
11-28-2007, 11:50 PM
I could really care less about the value. I've no interest in ending up like Calvin Toren.

I totally agree!

oh. um. :unsure:

:blush:

:ninja: