PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Indie Films

Daghain
10-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Thank Monte for this one. We got in a side conversation in the Star Wars thread, and I thought it would be interesting to see what your favorite indie films were.

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, here are mine:

Trainspotting
Little Voice
Hard Candy
Magdeline Sisters
Ghost World
Spun
Dancer in the Dark
Requiem for a Dream
Amelie
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
Igby Goes Down
Japanese Story
Monsoon Wedding
Pieces of April
Iris
Real Women Have Curves
Tortilla Soup
Saving Grace
The Big Tease

Once I go check DBF's collection, I'm sure my list will be longer. :D

MonteGss
10-18-2007, 06:52 PM
:thumbsup: Good thread idea.

I'm too "culturally challenged" to answer though. :P

Um..I'd say
Iris was a good one.
Trainspotting was good too.
I hated Requiem for a Nightmare

I haven't seen any of the others you mentioned. :(

sarah
10-18-2007, 07:06 PM
great thread, daggers! I've seen almost all those movies.

I cried all the way through Iris.

I must add shallow grave and The Last Supper.

Daghain
10-18-2007, 07:08 PM
You didn't like Requiem? Don't see Dancer in the Dark then. Unless you want to sit in a closet alone for a few hours. It's that depressing.

Magdeline Sisters is a good, fact-based movie about the women who were forced to work in Catholic laundries because they were either pregnant, flirty, or their parents just couldn't handle them. Very good. Amelie is a cute, fun movie, and He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not is an EXCELLENT psychological thriller - that one will flip you right out. :D

sarah
10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
=MonteGss;49795 I hated Requiem for a Nightmare

You didn't like Requiem?

i didn't like it either. It really bothered me and I didn't understand all the hype it got. But I know that loads of people loved it.

Daghain
10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I haven't seen those two, maerlyn. I'll have to put them on the list. :D

I thought of a few more:

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
The Son's Room
In the Bedroom
Shawn of the Dead

ETA: I'm all about a good depressing flick, and the Ellyn Burstyn character really got to me in Requiem. :D

OchrisO
10-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Pi

City of Lost Children

Clerks

Rushmore

Memento

Buffalo 66

The Doom Generation

American Splendor

Mad Max

The Descent

Donnie Darko

Reservoir Dogs

Daghain
10-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh hell, I forgot about Memento! That was a good one!

sarajean
10-18-2007, 07:46 PM
you guys have a lot of good ones, i especially love rushmore and shallow grave. however no one has yet said curdled or spun.

:eta: dirty pretty things.

sarah
10-18-2007, 08:20 PM
oooooooooo i love rushmore! i think i just might love the soundtrack even more.

is garden state idie? love that movie.

also, Reservoir Dogs? puh-leeze that movie is hands down rock and roll. love it!

oh oh and true romance? come on that is some good stuff right there.

nic cage...sarajean are you listening?

Daghain
10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
I said Spun. :lol: How can you miss John Leguzamo in a sock? :D

sarajean
10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
omg, you totally did.

nevermind.

MonteGss
10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Good calls Chris! I also forgot about Resevoir Dogs and Memento.

Daghain
10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh, I have created a monster. I will never stop posting in here.

More:

Talk to Me
Lantana

ZoNeSeeK
10-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I love indie films :)

Lantana
Jindabyne
Once
Amelie
Secrets & Lies
Mad Max / Road Warrior
Dancer in the Dark
Requiem for a Dream
Cube
Amadeus
Boys Don't Cry
Chasing Amy / Clerks / Dogma
Crash
Factory Girl
Happiness
Human Traffic - first realistic movie about party drug culture
Jackie Brown
Magnolia
Nurse Betty
The Professional - Natalie Portman's debut, awesome film.
Pulp Fiction
Se7en
Shallow Grave
Stranger than Fiction
Sunshine

Daghain
10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh, I forgot about The Professional - that was a great movie!

Another good one: With a Friend Like Harry.

Jean
10-22-2007, 12:15 AM
can someone please give me a clear definition of indie? Something's telling me it's just about the movies I mostly watch.

ZoNeSeeK
10-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Indie (Independent) usually refers to a film released by a smaller studio on a lower budget Jean, or not intended as a massive commercial juggernaut.

An independent film, or indie film, is usually a low-budget film that is produced by a small movie studio. Additionally, the term is used to describe less commercially-driven art films which differ markedly from the norms of plot-driven, mainstream classical Hollywood cinema. These films are often produced by subsidiaries of larger studios, such as Sony Pictures Classics, as long as less than half of its budget comes from a major movie studio. In 2005, about 15% of the U.S. domestic box office revenue was from independent studios.[1] Independent films are often distinguishable by their content or style. The writer or director's original authorial intent or personal creative vision is usually maintained in the final film.

The independent film scene's development in the 1990s and 2000s has been stimulated by a range of factors, including the development of affordable high-definition digital video cameras that can rival 35 mm film quality and easy-to-use computer editing software and the increasing visibility of independent film festivals such as the Sundance Film Festival.

They don't sacrifice artistic integrity for a buck, basically.

Jean
10-22-2007, 12:53 AM
thank you Zone! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif Alas, I still don't know what movies I can consider indie, because I never pay attention to studios and can hardly tell a big-budget movie from low-budget... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif
Anyway, to those who liked Amelie, I strongly recommend

La Cité des enfants perdus
Delicatessen

by the same director, but, in my opinion, much more interesting

Darkthoughts
10-22-2007, 03:08 AM
I second those recommendations :thumbsup:

Zone - Human Traffic is amazing!! A load of friends and I watched it together first time round, we all used to party together and we were cracking up through the whole film, it was as if someone had been following us round with a videocam :D

ZoNeSeeK
10-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Hee hee :) and our partying is very similar to you brits, same terminologies and everything. I love the part where they get interviewed in the club and "these days just get smacked up on heroin and float around the club. In fact, we're late for our next hit. Hi Mum!!!"

:)

Daghain
10-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Thought of another one - Muriel's Wedding. :D

Darkthoughts
10-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Good one! I say "You're terrible Muriel!" all the time - it drives my bro-in-law insane because he hates that film :D

Heather19
10-23-2007, 02:52 PM
What a great thread, I love indie films. Most of my favorites have already been listed.
Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy
Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction
Requiem for a Dream
Pi
Shallow Grave, and Trainspotting
Delicatessen

and few other of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned yet are
Hurricane Streets
Welcome to the Dollhouse
American Beauty
Being John Malkovich

I know there's a bunch more that I just can't think of right now.

Daghain
10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Being John Malkovich. GAWD, I did not like that one.

I liked the vampire one he did though. I can't think of the name of it right now. :lol:

ZoNeSeeK
10-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Darkthoughts: if you like australian drama, try and find / buy / download a series called "Love My Way" - its brilliant and has won a whole swag of awards over here.

Heather19
10-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Being John Malkovich. GAWD, I did not like that one.

I liked the vampire one he did though. I can't think of the name of it right now. :lol:

How could you not like Being John Malkovich. That's one of my favorites. And Shadow of the Vampire is the other one you're thinking of. I thought it was ok, but I like the original film that it's about a lot more.

Mordred Deschain
10-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Thank Monte for this one. We got in a side conversation in the Star Wars thread, and I thought it would be interesting to see what your favorite indie films were.

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, here are mine:

Trainspotting
Little Voice
Hard Candy
Magdeline Sisters
Ghost World
Spun
Dancer in the Dark
Requiem for a Dream
Amelie
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
Igby Goes Down
Japanese Story
Monsoon Wedding
Pieces of April
Iris
Real Women Have Curves
Tortilla Soup
Saving Grace
The Big Tease

Once I go check DBF's collection, I'm sure my list will be longer. :D

Awesome, I really did like Saving Grace! :)

fernandito
10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
What a great thread, I love indie films. Most of my favorites have already been listed.
Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy

Did you leave Dogma out on purpose? Or did you simply forget to add it? :)

Daghain
10-24-2007, 01:50 PM
How could you not like Being John Malkovich. That's one of my favorites. And Shadow of the Vampire is the other one you're thinking of. I thought it was ok, but I like the original film that it's about a lot more.

Honestly? Because I'm not a big fan of John Malkovich. And I just thought the whole premise was stupid. :lol:

Heather19
10-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Did you leave Dogma out on purpose? Or did you simply forget to add it? :)[/QUOTE]

I like it, but just not as much as the other 3.

fernandito
10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Ah! Fair enough.

sarajean
10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
nosferatu? is that the original film you're talking about?

i had forgotten about welcome to the dollhouse.

Erin
10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the Dollhouse! What a great movie that was. I was watching Empire Records the other day and I had totally forgotten that Warren, the thug who steals from them, was the little girl's love interest in Welcome to the Dollhouse.

Heather19
10-24-2007, 05:23 PM
nosferatu? is that the original film you're talking about?

i had forgotten about welcome to the dollhouse.

Yep. Max Schreck was excellent in that film. Very creepy

Mordred Deschain
10-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Welcome to the Dollhouse! What a great movie that was. I was watching Empire Records the other day and I had totally forgotten that Warren, the thug who steals from them, was the little girl's love interest in Welcome to the Dollhouse.

Ya and the guy who stole the bank deposit and had to sit in the back room and not move from the couch, that was Slayter from Dazed and Confused. and he was on CSI:Miami and then they offed him.

towerguard
10-26-2007, 04:16 AM
The Doom Generation

I like that movie too, against my better judgement. I desire nothing more than to insult that movie as being a NBK spoof that somehow makes sex digusting...On the other hand...Rose Mcgowan naked.
I love Doom Generation. :|

tamez
10-26-2007, 05:56 AM
I'm not a big fan of John Malkovich. And I just thought the whole premise was stupid. :lol:

blasphemy!

i love The Unknown with lon chaney (http://imdb.com/title/tt0018528/) and Joan Crawford
http://www.moderntimes.com/palace/20_image/unknown.jpg

it's about an armless knife thrower...
and i can't say much more without ruining it.
it is extremely creepy
suffice it to say everyone needs to go watch it
right now.

Ruthful
12-08-2007, 07:46 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/3f/200px-Slacker.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/44/Chuck_and_buck.jpg/200px-Chuck_and_buck.jpg

Creepiest ending ever.

http://adamanthenes.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/hedwigandtheangryinchmovieposter.jpg

BTW, I love John Malkovich.

http://1heckofaguy.com/wp-content/photos/blackhat.jpg

Frunobulax
12-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Hedwig is insanely great. I miss the regular midnite showings here. Damn Laemmle closing...

Donnie Darko, Brazil, Tortilla Soup, 200 Motels and Hot Fuzz all come to mind immediately.

Jean
12-09-2007, 01:37 AM
does Donnie Darko come under this category, too? I didn't pay attention to the studio it was made at, but it struck me as a normal mediocre Hollywood movie.

jayson
12-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Brazil, ... 200 Motels

+1 for getting Gilliam & Zappa in one post!:rose:

Brazil is in my top 3 all time [with Yellow Submarine & Pulp Fiction]

Frunobulax
12-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Gotta stay true to my influences. Brazil is one of the top 50 movies of all time, period. And 200 Motels is so wonderfully twisted that it never gets old.

Ruthful
12-10-2007, 03:01 AM
does Donnie Darko come under this category.

I don't believe so.

Nevertheless, it was a fantastic film.

Sympathy For The Devil
12-12-2007, 05:42 AM
I love most of the films already mentioned like requiem for a dream and donnie darko so i wont mention anymore that have been listed. Heres some of my other favs

Dazed and confused

The adventures of sebastian cole

Blue velvet

Mean streets (Was independant back in 73)

Dead man

Night On Earth

Thats all i can think of, i know im leavin lots out, wait does leaving las vegas count? thats a good one, anyway its getin late here.

Frunobulax
12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
How 'bout Lost In Translation, then?

Ruthful
12-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Darkthoughts: if you like australian drama, try and find / buy / download a series called "Love My Way" - its brilliant and has won a whole swag of awards over here.

Ooh, I love Autralian new wave cinema.

http://www.lookbothways.com.au/

http://www.littlefishmovie.com/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n3_v45/ai_13566985

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somersault_%28film%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proposition

Okay, I know it's not remotely "indie," but I still love Moulin Rouge.

Daghain
12-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Moulin Rouge rocked!

Into the Wild was an excellent movie too - very well done and really sucks you in.

Sympathy For The Devil
12-13-2007, 01:47 AM
I just thought of another one of my favourite indie flicks, has anyone seen bodies rest and motion? I love that film.

Heather19
12-13-2007, 11:34 AM
After taking that movie quiz in another thread, I'm going to add Run Lola Run to my list. I had completely forgotten about that film.

Daghain
12-13-2007, 10:10 PM
OMG, I did too! That was a GREAT movie! :D

ZoNeSeeK
12-16-2007, 07:22 PM

Ooh, I love Autralian new wave cinema.

http://www.lookbothways.com.au/

http://www.littlefishmovie.com/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n3_v45/ai_13566985

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somersault_%28film%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proposition

Okay, I know it's not remotely "indie," but I still love Moulin Rouge.

Ah, little fish is awesome :)

Have you seen Candy?

turtlex
08-12-2009, 02:51 AM
I just found this thread and decided to resurrect it... as there's been a ton of good Indie Films out since the last post here.

Some of my favorites ( in no particular order ) :

Juno
All Over Me
Little Miss Sunshine
Lost in Translation
My Own Private Idaho
House of Games
Pi
Ghost World
Little Voice
Girlfight
Kissing Jessica Stein
Desert Hearts
Billy Elliott
The Station Agent
Clerks
Boys Don't Cry
Black and White
Timecode
Boogie Nights
Candy ( Heath Ledger )
prey for rock & roll
Velvet Goldmine
Repo Man
Swingers
thirteen

Are we including documentaries? I love those and really, they've very independent!

Capturing the Friedmans
Brother's Keeper
Edgeplay : A Film About The Runaways
Paradise Lost : The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills
Paradise Lost 2: Revelations
Spellbound
Trembling Before G-d

Darkthoughts
08-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Repo Man is awesome, I'm surprised not many people know it.

I just didn't get on with Lost In Translation, though. I wanted to - but it was just blah.

turtlex
08-12-2009, 04:05 AM
OMG! I loved Repo Man...

... I even have the limited edition DVD in the license plate tin from Anchor Bay.

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/article/684/684905/repo-man-collectors-edition-20060201015433243-000.jpg

ETA: re - Lost in Translation. Wow. I hear that from so many people. Either they love it or they just think it's kind of meh. I happen to be in the love it column. I find it so engaging and visual and ... charming, I guess. To me, it's Bill Murray's best performance.

Darkthoughts
08-12-2009, 04:20 AM
I think that's why i wanted to love it, he was great - really understated and not his usual egotistical self, and Scarlett Johanssen (sp?) seemed so charming...but it just didn't grab me. I've never sat through the whole thing, although I've seen the start, the ending and various bits of the middle :D

That Repo Man dvd is insane!!! :drool: My sister and I "discovered" the film years ago, I think I was about 16 and it was something that my Dad said, "Stay up and watch this!" as he used to do with some choice flicks from time to time. We never knew anyone else who'd seen it. It wasn't until I joined internet forums that I met people who had.

jayson
08-12-2009, 07:13 AM
I just didn't get on with Lost In Translation, though. I wanted to - but it was just blah.

same here

i gave it a chance, and it was nice to look at from a visual perspective but the story itself was so incredibly dull, and to be honest, i don't think all that much of scarlett johanssen. i guess she's okay to look at (though not really my type for that either)

Unfound One
08-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I've only seen Lost in Translation once, back in my Christian days, and I remember thinking how weird and wrong a lot of it was. I should really watch it again, because I tend to like "slower" films.

Okay, um, I have to say it - Garden State.
Cliche by now, but I still love that film.

And Once. Definitely one of my favorite films of all time.

fernandito
08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Has anyone here seen You, Me, and Everyone We Know?

It's a cute (Yes, I said cute) and romantic little indie film, I really really liked it.

Unfound One
08-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I have actually.
And yeah, I liked it a lot.

That's a wonderful description Feev - it's definitely cute. :)

turtlex
08-12-2009, 09:25 AM
SJ - Oh, you know, I liked Garden State a lot. I was surprised, too, cause I'm not a big Zack Braff fan.

I actually loved Lost In Translation. Really. I watch it every time it's on and have been known just to toss the DVD in now and again. I thought Sofia Coppola did a great job directing and getting that performance out of Bill Murray, and I love the script. Love it.

Sam
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I find it odd that no one except Dags at the very beginning of this discussion has mentioned Star Wars. That is the ultimate indie film. Actually, the entire trilogy is indie when you think about it. Sure 20th Centruy Fox distributed it, but did you know that's all the involvement any Hollywood studios had with the films? They didn't produce any of the films. They didn't do the casting, editing, or anything else besides the distribution to theaters, and the only reason Lucas went to them for distribution is because he knew the big studios had a better network for putting his film out there than he did. In other words, they could get more seats to put the butts in than he could.

I say Star Wars is indie and so are Empire and Return and those are my favorite indie films.

I also like some of Tarantino's work and all of Kevin Smith's (but could either one be called indie at this point, just food for thought).

turtlex
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Sam - I think I could agree, somewhat, that Star Wars could be considered independent... but Empire and ROtJ? Um, there's no way. Following the mega success of Star Wars, the others had all the big studio backing and money they could take.

Kidd Ikarus
08-13-2009, 06:04 AM
I think these would be considered indie . . .

Boondock Saints
Green Street Hooligans
Poolhall Junkies

ola
08-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Me and You and Everyone We Know is one of my favorite movies, ever.

We had to watch it again almost right away. The kid 'making the sun rise' scene at the end is one of the best moments. :huglove: Miranda July!

Oh and:

))<>((
FOREVER

fernandito
08-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Boondock Saints
Green Street Hooligans
Poolhall Junkies

Ahhh!! Poolhall Junkies!

"What's the matter? A few seconds ago it was like a night at the Apollo in here, and now it's as quiet as a motherfuckin' church!"

Kidd Ikarus
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Boondock Saints
Green Street Hooligans
Poolhall Junkies

Ahhh!! Poolhall Junkies!

"What's the matter? A few seconds ago it was like a night at the Apollo in here, and now it's as quiet as a motherfuckin' church!"

Haha!! Hell yeah! Great movie.

" . . . every once in a while, the lion has to rip the shit out of everything, just to remind the jackals who he really is."

For the amount of screen time he has, Christopher Walken is great in that movie.

SigTauGimp
08-13-2009, 01:03 PM

I :wub: that movie.

Ruthful
08-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Hard Candy

I love that film.

I'm always amazed by how many people don't understand that faux 'castration' scene. I know someone who didn't get it until I described what had happened there, and she actually works in movies.

Seymour_Glass
08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I find it odd that no one except Dags at the very beginning of this discussion has mentioned Star Wars. That is the ultimate indie film. Actually, the entire trilogy is indie when you think about it. Sure 20th Centruy Fox distributed it, but did you know that's all the involvement any Hollywood studios had with the films? They didn't produce any of the films. They didn't do the casting, editing, or anything else besides the distribution to theaters, and the only reason Lucas went to them for distribution is because he knew the big studios had a better network for putting his film out there than he did. In other words, they could get more seats to put the butts in than he could.

I say Star Wars is indie and so are Empire and Return and those are my favorite indie films.

I also like some of Tarantino's work and all of Kevin Smith's (but could either one be called indie at this point, just food for thought).

That is an excellent point. George Lucas always has complete control, for better or worse.

And the term indie is really nonspecific and watered down and all over the place, I think.

turtlex
08-14-2009, 02:04 AM

That is an excellent point. George Lucas always has complete control, for better or worse.

And the term indie is really nonspecific and watered down and all over the place, I think.

SG! Welcome back!! Haven't seen you in a while!

re: George Lucas. I agree that Star Wars could be considered an independent film, but not the others.

Yeah, but so does James Cameron and his stuff isn't independent either.

Having complete control doesn't equal an Indie Film. At least not how we're talking about it here.

Darkthoughts
10-05-2009, 08:06 AM

Wow! I hired this today because you'd mentioned it...it's just brilliant.

And all the way through I was thinking..."I know who that guy is!" and then it clicked, he's Outspan from The Commitments :D

fernandito
10-05-2009, 08:29 AM
There are two indie 'heavyweights' that I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen yet - Garden State and Rushmore. However, I'm trying to remedy this as soon as possible by adding them to my netflix queue :)

turtlex
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I liked Garden State, but didn't love it. Natalie Portman steals the whole movie - she's great.

Rushmore... much the same. It was good, but not great.

I loved The Commitments.

Heather19
10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
There are two indie 'heavyweights' that I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen yet - Garden State and Rushmore. However, I'm trying to remedy this as soon as possible by adding them to my netflix queue :)

Feev, have you seen Run Lola Run? If not you gotta check it out. I think you might really enjoy it.

jayson
10-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Feev, have you seen Run Lola Run? If not you gotta check it out. I think you might really enjoy it.

:clap:

an excellent film!

Sickrose
10-15-2009, 04:56 AM
This is a gret thread. Quite a few of my favs have been mentioned already. I think the following are indie:

Brick
The Edukators
Mesrine parts one and two awesome
!

turtlex
10-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Not exactly good news on the indie movie front ( at least it falls in both the good/bad columns for me ) ... there's a lesbian themed film called And Then Came Lola (http://andthencamelola.com/) which is being put forth as a "time-bending, sexy, lesbian romp – loosely inspired by the art house classic Run, Lola, Run".

You know me, I'm all for a time-bending, sexy, lesbian romp, same as the next girl. And I happen to be a fan of Jill Bennett - but why oh why couldn't they come up with their own plot and leave Run, Lola, Run alone?!?

This has been playing at fests around the country and will hit DVD in 2010.

ETA: Welcome to the site, Sickrose!

Sickrose
10-15-2009, 05:13 AM

jayson
10-15-2009, 06:04 AM
a "time-bending, sexy, lesbian romp – loosely inspired by the art house classic Run, Lola, Run".

wow pam, you are right, that is not good news

is this where we are now in the movie industry, tribute films?

in the entertainment business "inspired by" is a euphemism for "we stole the cool parts from"

turtlex
10-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Yea, I'm with you jayson...

... remember the good old days when "independent film" meant, you know, an actual original thought.

jayson
10-15-2009, 07:32 AM

... remember the good old days when "independent film" meant, you know, an actual original thought.

between movies, music and politics, the word "independent" lost all meaning awhile ago.

Jean
10-15-2009, 10:39 AM
in the entertainment business "inspired by" is a euphemism for "we stole the cool parts from"
Were we at a cinema message board, bears would sig this.

turtlex
10-15-2009, 11:51 AM

between movies, music and politics, the word "independent" lost all meaning awhile ago.

I weep for us all.

cody44
10-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about Paranormal Activity?

We're watching Run Lola Run for my German class this year. We just finished a movie called Good Bye Lenin! Which did a great job of depicting the fall of communism and its aftermath, but I'm not sure if I'd label it an Independent film.

Darkthoughts
10-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Anyone seen Rabbit Proof Fence?

turtlex
10-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Kenneth Branagh, right? From Australia?

If it's the movie I'm thinking of .. yup, I saw it and liked it. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure I saw it on IFC a couple of years ago.

tamez
10-22-2009, 08:14 AM

I went and saw it on Sunday night.
I liked it... it creeped me out. There were people
SCREAMING bloody murder in the theater. I wasn't THAT scared but
it def. made my skin crawl in certain parts.
it's worth checking out
esp. if you liked Blair Witch. it has a similar feel
with the actors (supposedly) working the only camera.

turtlex
10-22-2009, 09:29 AM
I didn't think Blair Witch was scary, but it sure was creepy.

( not to mention, physically nausiating )

jayson
10-23-2009, 10:10 AM
I didn't think Blair Witch was scary, but it sure was creepy.

( not to mention, physically nausiating )

what scared me about the blair witch project was that so many people whose opinions i respected kept telling me how awesome and scary it was. it was neither. and i agree with pam, it was unsettling for my stomach.

the only time i ever appreciated that movie was when a friend and i were actually lost in the woods for several hours and that was only because we kept making fun of the movie to make each other laugh. still, i made more girl who loved tom gordon jokes. :P

turtlex
10-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Um, because of my obsessive triangulation of seating choices - I had no peripheral vision when I saw Blair Witch... and seriously, I was nauseous for a few days.

I didn't think it was scary at all. It gave me a creepy feeling but I wasn't scared. It doesn't touch my top list of good horror movies and no where near my list of top indie films.

Also, it's hard for me to get scared when the characters are being so completely stupid in the film. ( like the Blair Witch characters were )

On the complete other side of the Indie Film Matrix - recently saw American Buffalo again for the millionth or so time, and I just love it. Al Pacino and Dennis Franz. David Mamet script, based on his play. Good stuff.

darkwolf
10-24-2009, 05:14 AM

it's worth checking out

It was definitely a skin crawly type movie... I thought it was pretty creepy/eerie! But what really got me was when I got home that night, and went to bed, and all of a sudden had super human hearing, I could hear EVERY little sound that night. :scared:

Heather19
10-24-2009, 06:21 AM

it's worth checking out

It was definitely a skin crawly type movie... I thought it was pretty creepy/eerie! But what really got me was when I got home that night, and went to bed, and all of a sudden had super human hearing, I could hear EVERY little sound that night. :scared:

:lol: The same thing happened to me. I saw it last night, and I had a hard time going to sleep. I got a text from my cousin (who I went to see the film with) in the middle of the night saying she was still too scared to go to bed!

fernandito
04-09-2010, 01:00 PM
So I tried to watch Rushmore yesterday ... and I say try because I only got through a half hour of it before I turned it off. I found the main character (Max) to be uninteresting and unlikeable, the random sequence of events to be contrived and sluggish , it was just .. blah. Although to be a little fair, maybe I went into this movie with preconceived notions since this film is often hailed as The indie film. I don't know, I might go back to it someday, but it certainly won't be for a while.