PDA

View Full Version : Field of Dreams - All things Baseball

Pages : [1] 2 3

Merlin1958
01-05-2011, 04:37 AM
With the advent of the Hall of Fame announcement on us and Pitchers & Catchers less than 2 months from reporting, I thought a thread for "All things about baseball" seemed appropriate.

So post away regarding your favorite teams, players and managers. Hot Stove reports, potential trade rumors and predictions!!! Root for your favorite teams success, rue its demise!!! Have at it Baseball fans!!!

You all know where I stand!!!! LOL

On to #28!!!!!!!

Bethany
01-05-2011, 06:19 AM
I love baseball, it is far and away my favorite sport. I am a long term Braves fan...I became a fan the abysmal mid 80's so it is not like I jumped on the bandwagon when they were so hot. I am sad to admit that I let my interest wane in the post divorce I'll Show You I Don't Need You Or Your Shit phase and probably couldn't tell you 2 players from last year's starting line up.

alkanto
01-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Likewise a lifelong fan - baseball is the only sport I really care about, to be honest. I'm a HUGE MN Twins far, so I'm sure Merlin1958 and I will have the most....interesting conversations :P

CRinVA
01-05-2011, 06:51 AM
So what was my fave Christmas present this year - a signed Mariano Rivera baseball - so I guess everyone knows where I stand too!

Beign from the Washington DC Metro area i also take at least a glancing interest in what the Nationals are up to. They are spending some cash and building a team - they can only get better! As far as the National League goes that is! :-)

Pitchers & Catchers reprot in what - like 5 weeks! Come on Spring Training!

Iwritecode
01-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Likewise a lifelong fan - baseball is the only sport I really care about, to be honest. I'm a HUGE MN Twins far, so I'm sure Merlin1958 and I will have the most....interesting conversations :P

White Sox fan here. :arg:

Nerak
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
GO RED SOX!!!!!!

Merlin1958
01-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Hey, The Twins are a great ballclub!!! Gardenhire is a quality manager and a class act to boot. Lately the Bombers seem to have their number like the Angels had ours for a while, But the ball bounces funny ways!!!

Good Luck!

Merlin1958
01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Damed if the Phillies don't appear to be trying to "buy" the World Series!!! They think they are the Yanks all of a sudden? LOL LOL

alkanto
01-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Hey, The Twins are a great ballclub!!! Gardenhire is a quality manager and a class act to boot. Lately the Bombers seem to have their number like the Angels had ours for a while, But the ball bounces funny ways!!!

Good Luck!

Well, fantastic then! I have a few Yankees fans as friends who aren't half as respectful. I suppose it's just what I've come to expect.

Merlin1958
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM

Good Luck!

Well, fantastic then! I have a few Yankees fans as friends who aren't half as respectful. I suppose it's just what I've come to expect.

Well, I'm a life long NY'er and I respect "Titles" I can recognize a good team when I see it. Confidentially, the Twins worst enemy is that damn owner!!!! Thank God for the Stienbrenners!!!!!! Can I get an "Amen"? LOL

Thanks for the compliment and right back at ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Relating to the title, I can't watch that movie without being reduced to tears at the end. Don't know why, My Dad played catch with me, and I with my Son, but something about the storyline just gets to me!!!!

Baseball does mark the years!!!!!!

alkanto
01-09-2011, 09:15 AM
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa!"

The only time, I think Iowa is used in a movie to an amazing end. My grandpa's favorite movie quote of all time was that very line.
It is indeed one of my favorite movies as well...mostly because it makes me think of my grandpa. I should probably go visit that field sometime...I don't live terribly far away from it.

Bethany
01-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I love that movie! And Bull Durham. Ooooh, I see a sig/av combo for opening day.

Merlin1958
01-10-2011, 04:11 PM
With all due respect, this thread is about "baseball" in general. Not about the movie. Sorry, if it came off that way!!!

My Bad!!!!

How bout those Phillies!??????

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Baseball is my favorite sport and I LOVE baseball players. Oakland A's fan here and the Giants fans are going to be insufferable this year. I live 20 minutes from AT&T park, and I have A LOT of Giants fans for friends :(

Let's go Oakland!

Merlin1958
01-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Welcome A's fan!!!

Pitchers & Catchers report in a little over a month!!!!

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks!

I'm interested to see what Oakland has to offer this year. Its weird they brought back Rich Harden with a one year deal. I dont think he pitched at all in the playoffs last year for Texas

blavigne
01-12-2011, 02:29 PM
I live close enough to Detroit to be able to see the Tigers on occasion. Even though I am not a devoted fan, I enjoy the games when I go. My Granny would have been 89 yesterday. She LOVED baseball. One of her fondest memories was of the trip she and my grandfather took to NYC. They went to Yankee Stadium and watched the "M&M"'s. The way she told that story always made me wish I could have been there.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I love seeing the old timers at the A's games, its great fun!

Merlin1958
01-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I live close enough to Detroit to be able to see the Tigers on occasion. Even though I am not a devoted fan, I enjoy the games when I go. My Granny would have been 89 yesterday. She LOVED baseball. One of her fondest memories was of the trip she and my grandfather took to NYC. They went to Yankee Stadium and watched the "M&M"'s. The way she told that story always made me wish I could have been there.

Wow, the M&M boys!!!! I would have loved to see that. Little trivia, did you know that the Billy Crystal/HBO film "61" about the chase for the record was actually shot at Tiger Stadium? Great film BTW, but then I am a bit biased!!! LOL

blavigne
01-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Wow, the M&M boys!!!! I would have loved to see that. Little trivia, did you know that the Billy Crystal/HBO film "61" about the chase for the record was actually shot at Tiger Stadium? Great film BTW, but then I am a bit biased!!! LOL

I did not know that and have never seen that movie but I love Billy Crystal and will definitely be checking that out!!

strungoutboy21
01-14-2011, 01:58 AM
I've been a Padres fan my whole life and am disapointed there is no more A-Gon. I wish he could have stayed here if the team wasn't so cheap and other teams weren't so greedy(Yankees and Red Sox). I love baseball. Nothing better than going to a game on a cool Summer night.

Merlin1958
01-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Yanks to ink Soriano from the Rays!!!!!!!! Heir to "The Sandman"

Ruthful
01-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Must-watch video!

Even if you hate The Onion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmR82553eR8

CRinVA
01-26-2011, 05:35 AM
Pretty sick if you ask me to see a little girl flip the bird to someone or wish on them a pox of cancer! I know its the Onion but geesh!

Merlin1958
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Yanks signed Garcia. That's a move in the right direction, I hope!!!!

Merlin1958
04-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Boston:

2-7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL

CRinVA
04-11-2011, 05:27 AM
my sentiments exactly - they won two games and the fans are partying like its 2004! :-)

CRinVA
04-11-2011, 06:09 AM
After the first week of my fantasy baseball league here are the standings! My team name is the NOVA Bombers.

Not sure how I took first place with a team BA of .233 and a team ERA of 4.48, but I'm happy.
Next up this week is the Highlanders (coincidentally, this is my 21 yr. old baseball playing son's team!)

Rank xx Team xxxxxxxxxxxxx W-L-T xx Pct xxxx GB
1. xxxxx NOVA Bombersxxxxxxxxx 10-3-1xxx .750
2. xxxxx Jef Nieman the balls xxxx 9-3-2xxxx .714xxxx 0.5
3. xxxxx Byrd is the Word xxxxxxx 9-4-1xxxx .679xxxx 1
4. xxxxx Bad News Marlins xxxxxxx 9-5-0xxx .643xxxx 1.5
5. xxxxx Rebecca Blacksox xxxxxx 8-6-0xxxx .571xxxx 2.5
6. xxxxx Highlanders xxxxxxxxxxxx 7-6-1xxxx .536xxxx 3
7. xxxxx 4 Horsemen of Philly xxxx 6-7-1xxxx .464xxxx 4
8. xxxxx Suck It xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 6-8-0xxxx .429xxxx 4.5
9. xxxxx CarGo Lift xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 5-9-0xxxx .357xxxx 5.5
10. xxxx Pine Riders xxxxxxxxxxxx 4-9-1xxxxx .321xxxx 6
11. xxxx Naptown xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3-9-2xxxxx .286 xxxx 6.5
12. xxxx Team Bi-WInning xxxxxx 3-10-1xxxx .250xxxx 7

Does anyone know how to force blanks in any posts; insteadc of the klugy way that I tried to force the above table? :-)

Merlin1958
04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Way to go!!!!

I'm doing pretty well so far in the DT.Org League!!!!!

Yeah Sure Whatever
04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Those are some awesome team names. While I'm here - Let's go Oakland!

Ben Staad
04-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Tigers are off to a rousing 3 and 7 start. Maybe they need to let Cabrera start drinking again (j/k)! Anyway at the least I know the club will have a shot to win every-time Verlander pitches even though last night he pitched a 2 run CG and they still lost.

Are there any other disgruntled Detroit Tigers fans out there?

Iwritecode
04-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Those are some awesome team names. While I'm here - Let's go Oakland!

I wish the Sox had a closer. Or at least a left-fielder that can catch pop flies in the 9th inning. :angry:

Yeah Sure Whatever
04-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Not me!

Ben Staad
05-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Hooray!!!! A no hitter for Verlander. :rock:

Merlin1958
05-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Yeah, I saw that!!!! Almost perfection too, except for that questionable walk in the 8th I think.

He's a great pitcher. Second one of the season too, right?

Ben Staad
05-08-2011, 07:08 AM

Yeah, I saw that!!!! Almost perfection too, except for that questionable walk in the 8th I think.

I didn't get to see the game...lousy ESPN for some reason they didn't cut into it at all they just kept flashing "breaking news" as updates. This is the second no hitter pitched this year but I would need to look up who has pitched the other one because I can't remember.

Merlin1958
05-08-2011, 05:43 PM

I didn't get to see the game...lousy ESPN for some reason they didn't cut into it at all they just kept flashing "breaking news" as updates. This is the second no hitter pitched this year but I would need to look up who has pitched the other one because I can't remember.

Yeah I mis-posted. Liriano has the other one this year. Verlander's was the 2nd of his career. Ironically, I was watching MLB's 3rd best game in history, (1986 Sox vs Mets) and they cut to it in the eighth.

Do you know the fastest way to get to Boston's Logan Airport?

Go through Bill Buckner's legs!!!!!!!!!

CRinVA
05-31-2011, 05:12 AM
My team Nova Bombers still running strong as we start week 9 in my Fantasy Baseball League!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/fantasy.jpg

Third Place Highlanders is my son and Fifth Place Bad News Marlins is my son-in-law! My son-in-law's father is holding down 11th place as the Pine Riders!

Nerak
05-31-2011, 07:42 AM
I am sooooooo excited! I am going to my first ever Red Sox game on June 22nd!! I AM SOOOOO PUMPED! This is going to be epic! I can't wait to see Fenway upclose and personal!!! WOO HOO!!

GO SOX!!!!!

Merlin1958
05-31-2011, 07:44 AM
I am sooooooo excited! I am going to my first ever Red Sox game on June 22nd!! I AM SOOOOO PUMPED! This is going to be epic! I can't wait to see Fenway upclose and personal!!! WOO HOO!!

GO SOX!!!!!

How truly excellent for you!!!! Have an absolutely wonderful time!!!!!!!

:huglove:

CRinVA
05-31-2011, 09:52 AM

GO SOX!!!!!

Karen,

Hm..... Maybe they'll win - playing the NL West Cellar Team Padres! :rolleyes:

Really have fun, take pictures, enjoy! My first (and only) time at Fenway Park was sometime between 1963 - 65 ish!!!!! No seats on the Green Monster back then!!

Ben Staad
06-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Just read this about Justin Verlander:

"In his last six starts, he’s 6-0 with a 0.72 ERA. He’s struck out 51 and walked six over that span, which doesn’t even include his no-hitter."

He is the f'ing man! Go Tigers!

Merlin1958
06-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Verlander is the real deal!!! Go Tigers!!!!

Ben Staad
06-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Verlander is the real deal!!! Go Tigers!!!!

I'm going to print and frame this! LOL

Merlin1958
06-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Go for it!!! He's so good he'll probably be a Yankee sooner or later!!! LOL

Ben Staad
06-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Go for it!!! He's so good he'll probably be a Yankee sooner or later!!! LOL

Hopefully more on the later side.....LOL. Anyway I think you owe the Tigers one for Granderson. He had a terrible year last year but he's been money so far this year. I think he's going to be a solid CF for the Yankees for years to come.

Merlin1958
06-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah, we do. You know a lot of my buddies were disappointed about him last year, but I called a "great" year out of him this year early on. He's on both of my fantasy teams. I see him getting to .300 and maybe 35-40 dingers, plus 100 RBI's. He's well on the way to 100 runs scored. He was a brilliant trade by Cashman.

Edit: although the Tiger's did OK in getting Austin Jackson. He's gonna be great. It was more a developement issue I guess.

Ben Staad
06-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah, we do. You know a lot of my buddies were disappointed about him last year, but I called a "great" year out of him this year early on. He's on both of my fantasy teams. I see him getting to .300 and maybe 35-40 dingers, plus 100 RBI's. He's well on the way to 100 runs scored. He was a brilliant trade by Cashman.

Edit: although the Tiger's did OK in getting Austin Jackson. He's gonna be great. It was more a developement issue I guess.

I would be shocked if he hit .300 this year but you never know. He seems like he has a little more plate discipline then years past. Now I wouldn't be shocked with the dingers or the runs scored as long Texiera is behind him all year long.

Merlin1958
06-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, my predictions are public. We'll see how it plays out. Kevin Long is amazing!!!

Ben Staad
06-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Well, my predictions are public. We'll see how it plays out. Kevin Long is amazing!!!

Dammit...you made me look up who Kevin Long is. LOL

Merlin1958
06-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Worth it, right? LOL LOL

Ben Staad
06-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Worth it, right? LOL LOL

I always love learning something new about baseball! :thumbsup:

Merlin1958
07-09-2011, 07:17 PM
The "Captain" Derek Jeter, blowing past 3,000 with a 5-5 day, 1 short of the cycle!!! 2 RBI and 2 Runs and the GWH!!!!!! Hollywood couldn't have done it better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Ben Staad
10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
The Tigers are not done yet! I think the key for them will be scoring early and hope to weather the Texas storm of relievers and hitters later in the game. Either way it's been a great season for the Tigers and I wish them the best of luck.

Merlin1958
10-15-2011, 03:46 PM
The Tigers are not done yet! I think the key for them will be scoring early and hope to weather the Texas storm of relievers and hitters later in the game. Either way it's been a great season for the Tigers and I wish them the best of luck.

Best of luck to the Tigers!!!!

Ben Staad
10-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Best of luck to the Tigers!!!!

Thanks! They certainly need it based on the first five games of the series.

Ben Staad
10-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Ummmm. I just turned the channel because I couldn't stand watching the Tiger's puke all over each other anymore!

Merlin1958
10-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Ummmm. I just turned the channel because I couldn't stand watching the Tiger's puke all over each other anymore!

Sorry dude, I was hoping for them!!! Goddamn Rangers!!!!!

Ben Staad
10-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Sorry dude, I was hoping for them!!! Goddamn Rangers!!!!!

Ben Staad
11-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Verlander won the AL Cy Young award! Woot! Woot!

Ben Staad
11-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Wow. No love for the AL CY Young winner and now AL MVP!!! Give it up folks for Mr. Verlander! :excited:

Merlin1958
11-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Wow. No love for the AL CY Young winner and now AL MVP!!! Give it up folks for Mr. Verlander! :excited:

As a general rule, I say an everyday player for the MVP and Pitcher's get the Cy Young, but Verlander is the Pitcher who is an exception that proves the rule!!!

Ben Staad
11-22-2011, 09:44 AM

As a general rule, I say an everyday player for the MVP and Pitcher's get the Cy Young

I would normally agree with you however I am a huge Homer for the Tigers! :belial:

Merlin1958
11-22-2011, 05:07 PM

As a general rule, I say an everyday player for the MVP and Pitcher's get the Cy Young

I would normally agree with you however I am a huge Homer for the Tigers! :belial:

You also appear to be a bit of a confused individual!!! LOL J/K If a Pitcher ever truly deserved the MVP, Verlander's season is the one to do it!!!

Now keep an eye on C.C. next year, he can now buy a shitload more Capt'n Crunch!!!

:YYY:

P.S. Thanks. Always appreciate an opportunity to use the "Go Yankees" smiley!!! LOL

:emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu:

Ben Staad
11-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the :emot-cthulhu:

Verlander was certainly the MVP for the Tigers this year which brought "swagger" to the team even when he wasn't pitching. I'm not sure how one measure's this but if there was a season for a pitcher to win this award this one was it. Go Tigers and Verlander!

P.S. If C.C. is going to keep hammering down the Captain Crunch you better hope he is eating it with skim milk this off season! :emot-butt:

Merlin1958
11-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the :emot-cthulhu:

Verlander was certainly the MVP for the Tigers this year which brought "swagger" to the team even when he wasn't pitching. I'm not sure how one measure's this but if there was a season for a pitcher to win this award this one was it. Go Tigers and Verlander!

P.S. If C.C. is going to keep hammering down the Captain Crunch you better hope he is eating it with skim milk this off season! :emot-butt:

CC makes him very happy!!!! Happy Pitcher="K's" LOL But you're right, he better eat only one bowl and nothing else!!!!

Merlin1958
11-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I juat can't keep a secret!!!! For Xmas, I got my son a signed 1998 WS ball by who? Why, Derek Jeter!!!! It's his favorite player, his "Mickey Mantle" and he is going to go "Nuts". Display also has Jeter's "Rookie Card"!!!! Can't wait for Christmas Day!!!! LOL LOL

Ben Staad
11-22-2011, 07:32 PM
I juat can't keep a secret!!!! For Xmas, I got my son a signed 1998 WS ball by who? Why, Derek Jeter!!!! It's his favorite player, his "Mickey Mantle" and he is going to go "Nuts". Display also has Jeter's "Rookie Card"!!!! Can't wait for Christmas Day!!!! LOL LOL

That is awesome! What a great present. I hope he enjoys it.

Merlin1958
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM

That is awesome! What a great present. I hope he enjoys it.

He better!!! But hey ain't that what Xmas is about? Things in your dreams coming true!!!

Like a signed "11/22/63" outta the blue!!!

Merlin1958
12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I know I will be villified for this, but just read some recent articles regarding Jeter and the 3.000 hit club and while I am obviously biased, it's very cool how the rest of the league regards him. Jeter has truly become actual Yankee Royalty, and I don't really say it as a Yankee fan. Seems the entire league regards him as the "Heir Apparent" to the Yankee legacy. I mean I always did, but it's nice when "Baseball" as a whole does the same. See the recent issue of MLB Insider's Club and ESPN: the Magazine for starters. Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Ford, Jackson, Munson, Mattingly, The Scooter and JETER. We are witnessing HISTORY folks!! Take it in and pass it on, whatever your team allegiance. These are the GREATS of the game!!! Pujols to follow I am sure. As well as Holliday and Mo!!! To name a few!!!

God, I love baseball!!!!!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....................................... .........................

CRinVA
12-02-2011, 05:25 PM
I give my sons a signed ball every year at Christmas. Now I also give one to my son-in-law and one to my grandson who is only 18 months old - his has to be a rookie that particuylar year.

So this year one sone gets CC Sabathia, one gets Felix Hernandez - my SIL gets Hanley ramirez (he's a Marlins Fan) and my grandson is getting Mike Trout.

Maybe the'll give me a signed ball again this year - last year they gave me Mariano Rivera!

Between them they now have many greats to include Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Robbie Cano; Mike Mussina, David Cone, Don Mattingly, Reggie Jackson, Francisco Liriano, Pete Rose, Dave Winfield, El Duke, Stan Musial, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera, .... There are a few more - we have had this tradition for about 12 years now since my boys were 10 years old.

Merlin1958
12-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I give my sons a signed ball every year at Christmas. Now I also give one to my son-in-law and one to my grandson who is only 18 months old - his has to be a rookie that particuylar year.

So this year one sone gets CC Sabathia, one gets Felix Hernandez - my SIL gets Hanley ramirez (he's a Marlins Fan) and my grandson is getting Mike Trout.

Maybe the'll give me a signed ball again this year - last year they gave me Mariano Rivera!

Between them they now have many greats to include Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Robbie Cano; Mike Mussina, David Cone, Don Mattingly, Reggie Jackson, Francisco Liriano, Pete Rose, Dave Winfield, El Duke, Stan Musial, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera, .... There are a few more - we have had this tradition for about 12 years now since my boys were 10 years old.

Absolutely Wonderful Tradition, Bob!!!! You are "Da Man"!!!!!!

:YYY::YYY::YYY:

CRinVA
12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks - Last year when I got Rivera - they actualy thougth of getting me Mickey Mantle - that would have been the most awesomest gift ever - and they quickly found out that they were priced out rather quickly - The four kids pooled their money (and my wife supplemented when they came up short) for teh Rivera ball which I believe they paid about $300 for! :-) man I love my kids! wifey too! :-)

Wonder what this year brings!!!!!

Merlin1958
12-06-2011, 05:18 PM
You guys see that the Marlins are making a serious run at Pujols? That would be HUGE!!!

Ben Staad
12-06-2011, 05:23 PM
You guys see that the Marlins are making a serious run at Pujols? That would be HUGE!!!

I don't care as long as he stays out of the AL Central...GO TIGERS!

Merlin1958
12-06-2011, 05:25 PM

I don't care as long as he stays out of the AL Central...GO TIGERS!

I hear ya!!! While he's at it he can stay the hell out of the entire American League for that matter!!!!

CRinVA
12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Pujols goes to the Angels for $250M+ They also got CJ WIlson the Lefty Pitcher phenom.

Meanwhile Marlins get Reyes, Cain, Buehrle!

Yankees get to discuss situation with Japanese star SS Nakajima - backup position to Jeter! - after paying the posting fee of $2.5M!

Also see that Japanese wonder pitcher Darvish has declared that he wants to go to the MLB via the posting rocess as he is not a free agent.

If the Yankees go after him they need to lose AJ Burnett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Pujols goes to the Angels for $250M+ They also got CJ WIlson the Lefty Pitcher phenom.

Meanwhile Marlins get Reyes, Cain, Buehrle!

Yankees get to discuss situation with Japanese star SS Nakajima - backup position to Jeter! - after paying the posting fee of $2.5M!

Also see that Japanese wonder pitcher Darvish has declared that he wants to go to the MLB via the posting rocess as he is not a free agent.

If the Yankees go after him they need to lose AJ Burnett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, The Angels made a big splash!!!!

I'll take our boys any day of the week though. Love the prospect of the prospect's!!!

evilash
12-08-2011, 03:36 PM
250 million is obscene. Where is all of this spending going to stop? I love sports but I wish guys would just go back to playing for the love of the game.

CRinVA
12-08-2011, 04:05 PM
The 2011 MLB Average Player's salary - $3.1M

Remember I said average and all those rookies probably get the minimum $400K

Hm... I'd happy with the minimum!!!!

Brice
12-11-2011, 09:48 AM
250 million is obscene. Where is all of this spending going to stop? I love sports but I wish guys would just go back to playing for the love of the game.

Hey now! These boys are just tryin' to scrape by, pay bills ...same as you and me. :cyclops:

Rjeso
12-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Okay, so I'm, like, a year late on this, but yaaaaay, another Twins fan!

TR coming back has been a mixed blessing, though -- I can't believe we let Cuddyer and Kubel go. D:

Ben Staad
01-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Woot! The 2nd generation Fielder is coming to Detroit.

Merlin1958
01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Woot! The 2nd generation Fielder is coming to Detroit.

Congrats, Tim!!!!

EXPLORER
02-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Cubs fan Pranks Red Soxs linking a website to Yankees
http://www.news-press.com/article/20120221/SPRINGTRAINING/120221024/
A beautiful new Spring training facility was built "Fenway South" in Ft Myers for the Red Sox and JetBlue bought the marketing rights however neglected to get with GoDaddy quick enough so a Cubs fan is having fun with jetbluepark.com

Merlin1958
02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Cubs fan Pranks Red Soxs linking a website to Yankees
http://www.news-press.com/article/20120221/SPRINGTRAINING/120221024/
A beautiful new Spring training facility was built "Fenway South" in Ft Myers for the Red Sox and JetBlue bought the marketing rights however neglected to get with GoDaddy quick enough so a Cubs fan is having fun with jetbluepark.com

CRinVA
02-22-2012, 08:56 AM
nice!

Merlin1958
06-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Matt Cain threw a "Perfecto" last night!!!!!

Oh, and the Yanks swept the Braves!!!!!!

fernandito
06-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Went to the Dodgers v Angels game last night.

Dodgers were down 2 -1 at the bottom of the ninth, and they couldn't get a run with a man on 2nd and 3rd, and no outs. It was frustrating to watch.

Ben Staad
06-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Matt Cain threw a "Perfecto" last night!!!!!

Congrats to Mr. Cain! Just awesome.

CRinVA
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
So the Yankees and the Nats face off starting tomorrow - hm.... some team's 6 game winning streak must come to an end. Exciting baseball! Even though I live mereley minutes from the Nats Single A affiliate and just 30 miles from Nationals Park, I WILL be rooting :YYY: all the way!!!!!!!!!

Iwritecode
06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
My daughter has played 3 games so far this year and her batting average to date = 1.000 Just 2 years ago she was afraid to swing the bat.

They went completely undefeated last year and are 3-0 so far this year.

Merlin1958
06-14-2012, 03:47 PM
My daughter has played 3 games so far this year and her batting average to date = 1.000 Just 2 years ago she was afraid to swing the bat.

Congrats, Big Poppa!!!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-14-2012, 09:46 PM
I sure wish the Rangers would start playing with some consistency again. Frustrating to watch.

Iwritecode
06-15-2012, 06:13 AM

Congrats, Big Poppa!!!!!

I jinxed it. She made her first out and they lost their first game. The out was a very, very close play at first. It probably could've gone either way as she hit the bag at almost the exact same moment the first baseman got the ball.

The game was pretty good. They lost 6-4 but they had the tying run on second and the go-ahead run on first in the final inning. Just couldn't get that one last hit to push them across.

fernandito
06-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Going do the Dodgers v White Sox game tonight.

LESSSSSS GO DODGERS!

Merlin1958
06-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Yanks Win!!!! The Yankees win!!! 7th in a row!!!!

Have fun at the game, Feev!!!! :rock:

Ben Staad
06-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Tigers gave up 8 runs in the top of the tenth?! Great job Valverde*.

*It wasn't all him but he got the ball rolling.

Merlin1958
06-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Tigers gave up 8 runs in the top of the tenth?! Great job Valverde*.

*It wasn't all him but he got the ball rolling.

Wow!!! That Sucks!!!! I know that would've driven me bonkers!!!

divemaster
06-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Dodgers were down 2 -1 at the bottom of the ninth, and they couldn't get a run with a man on 2nd and 3rd, and no outs. It was frustrating to watch.

Ah, I call that "a Chicago Cubs special"

Don't talk to me about frustration. :( :angry:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Woohoo!!! Rangers swept the Astros!

Merlin1958
06-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Is this a bad time to mention the Yankees 9 game winning streak?

CRinVA
06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Well if you wait till tomorrow it may be a ten game streak! Just saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Well the streak is over...it was a good'n

Ben Staad
09-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Tigers lost to the White Sox today. Three back with only a handful of games left. Three is a big number and the Tigers are going to have to win a large percentage of their remaining games to have a shot at the playoffs. Let's hope for a huge meltdown from the Sox.

Garrell
09-17-2012, 07:03 PM
is it a good time to say that the A's are owning baseball?

Merlin1958
09-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Nope!!!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Rangers are ranked number 1 again! Bring on the post season!

Ben Staad
09-18-2012, 03:37 AM

Surprising year to say the least. Expos errr.....Nationals in the playoffs with chances for the A's, Pirates, and Orioles as well. Crazy!

Iwritecode
09-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Tigers lost to the White Sox today. Three back with only a handful of games left. Three is a big number and the Tigers are going to have to win a large percentage of their remaining games to have a shot at the playoffs. Let's hope for a huge meltdown from the Sox.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/Iwritecode/gosox3.gif http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/Iwritecode/bringit.gif

Ben Staad
09-26-2012, 05:19 PM

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/Iwritecode/gosox3.gif http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/Iwritecode/bringit.gif

Bringing it. Game on with 8 to go!

Merlin1958
09-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Tell you what, just about everyone better be "Bringing It" in their respective divisions in the A.L.!!!! There ain't a real "shoe-in" out there!!!!! Tough race all around though the "Central" must win the division to get in!!!!

Check it out:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

Edit: Texas does have the "Division", but not necessarily the top seed. Very interesting and exciting!!!!

Iwritecode
09-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Bringing it. Game on with 8 to go!

Congrats to the Tigers on their 2012 division championship. They finally decided to play big boy baseball while the Sox decided to roll over and die. Fuckers.

Ben Staad
09-27-2012, 06:09 AM
while the Sox decided to roll over and die. Fuckers.

I wouldn't go that far*. The Tigers, I believe, have their last 6 games on the road and they have not been a good road team this year. We will see.

*Actually I would however I'm trying to be nice. :emot-cthulhu:

Garrell
09-27-2012, 09:13 AM
5 rookie pitchers...GO A'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iwritecode
09-27-2012, 10:27 AM
while the Sox decided to roll over and die. Fuckers.

I wouldn't go that far*. The Tigers, I believe, have their last 6 games on the road and they have not been a good road team this year. We will see.

*Actually I would however I'm trying to be nice. :emot-cthulhu:

They are also going to be playing against two bad teams with nothing left to play for but pride.

Meanwhile the Sox have to face a team fighting for a playoff spot who also have a really good pitching staff. Then they go on the road to face a team they just lost 2/3 to at home.

I had hope a week ago. Now, not so much. It's gonna take a near miracle to even get to game 163.

Merlin1958
09-27-2012, 12:21 PM
5 rookie pitchers...GO A'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt. The A's are freaking amazing!!!! Where did these guys come from???? LOL

Gotta hand it to them!!! Sure don't want the Yanks to draw them in the playoff's!!!!

Ben Staad
10-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Detroit Tigers 2012 A.L. Central Division Champs! Woot.

CRinVA
10-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Nationals National League East Division Champs - who a thought it possible! Strasburg has gotta be really pissed that they shut him down now!

Yankees up one game with two to go over the Orioles. Yesterdays game against boston was an onslaught - 9 runs inteh 2nd inning and hte game was over - 4 dingers in the inning - Tex makes a nicve comeback and Cano is very very hot right now. Sabathia shut em down! Tonight Phelps takes the mound instead of NOva - a good move on Girardi's part! While down south its the O's Gonzalez v. Tampa bays Shields - I'd think TB is the fave!

As Jeter says the goal is not to get to the post season via the wild card, the goal is to win your division!!!!

Merlin1958
10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
:YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Exhausting. Texas has only needed to win one and can't seem to get it done. Kind of falling apart at the end. Drives me crazy.

Merlin1958
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Exhausting. Texas has only needed to win one and can't seem to get it done. Kind of falling apart at the end. Drives me crazy.

Very sorry to hear that.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-02-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm sure, much as I was excited to see the yanks eke out a win against the abysmal Red Sox tonight in the 12th

Merlin1958
10-02-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm sure, much as I was excited to see the yanks eke out a win against the abysmal Red Sox tonight in the 12th

Hey, a win is a win Texas boy!!! See you in the post season!!! We're coming for y'all!!! LOL

Good luck!!! You're gonna need it!!!

Garrell
10-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Go A's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
10-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Big game for the Bomber's tonight to clinch the diviision!!!!!

ELazansky
10-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Heading up to the Hall of Fame this weekend. It will be my son's first visit. He's not a huge baseball fan, but he did a school project on Babe Ruth, so he wants to see all of the old Yankee items in the Hall.

Merlin1958
10-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Heading up to the Hall of Fame this weekend. It will be my son's first visit. He's not a huge baseball fan, but he did a school project on Babe Ruth, so he wants to see all of the old Yankee items in the Hall.

Good deal!!! You'll have a real blast the Hall is a great trip and something he will definitely remember later on in life. It was meant for Father's and Sons IMHO!!!

Merlin1958
10-05-2012, 04:58 PM
The Braves got robbed by the Umps!!!! Damn Shame that Chipper goes out this way!!! Shame on MLB!!!

divemaster
10-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I agree the ump called that one wrong, or at least too late in the play. However, the Braves have no one to blame but themselves. 3 errors. Plus, they had the tying run come up to the plate like 3 times in the last 4 innings and couldn't do anything with it.

Look, I hate, hate, HATE the Cardinals. I would love to see them lose. It still galls me what happened last year.

But they deserved to win that game yesterday.

Ben Staad
10-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I agree the ump called that one wrong, or at least too late in the play. However, the Braves have no one to blame but themselves. 3 errors. Plus, they had the tying run come up to the plate like 3 times in the last 4 innings and couldn't do anything with it.

Look, I hate, hate, HATE the Cardinals. I would love to see them lose. It still galls me what happened last year.

But they deserved to win that game yesterday.

I don't feel strongly about the Cards but the call was awful, awful, awful, however you cannot let the officials impact the game if you are one of the competitors. The Braves let this game get away from them.

Ben Staad
10-06-2012, 10:50 AM
P.S. Go Tigers!

Ben Staad
10-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Go A's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roar! One down and two to go.

ELazansky
10-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Good deal!!! You'll have a real blast the Hall is a great trip and something he will definitely remember later on in life. It was meant for Father's and Sons IMHO!!!

What an awesome trip to the HOF today. We are actually staying at a B&B run by the librarian of the Hall. I could sit here all day listening to his stories...

Ka-mai
10-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Living in DC right now, a lot of people would love to see a Baltimore/Washington match up.

Although it will be hell to leave my apartment during the series, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :P Let's go, O's!

Ben Staad
10-07-2012, 04:37 PM

What an awesome trip to the HOF today. We are actually staying at a B&B run by the librarian of the Hall. I could sit here all day listening to his stories...

Very cool! I'm glad you've had a nice trip. Hopefully I can make it there one of these years.

Merlin1958
10-09-2012, 09:38 AM
"Why do they call it The World Series, when it's always played in the Bronx"?????

Ben Staad
10-09-2012, 10:30 AM
"Why do they call it The World Series, when it's always played in the Bronx"?????

Only like 24% percent of the time.

Iwritecode
10-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Only like 24% percent of the time.

Actually, it's closer to 37% if you only count appearances.

Ben Staad
10-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Go A's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roar! One down and two to go.

Game 5 tonight. Go Tigers!

Merlin1958
10-11-2012, 07:47 AM
How about dem boys from da Bronx?????

Merlin1958
10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
In C.C. We Trust!!!

Bring on Detroit!!!!

In deference to my pending deal with "Ben Staad" this is the last I will say in "Public" about this upcoming series. May the best team win!!!

Ben Staad
10-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I love MLB!

mtdman
10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, so much for the Yankees.

World Series bound baby! AL champs!

Ben Staad
10-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Tigers 2012 AL Champs! Way to go guys.

Merlin1958
10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Well, I guess the best team won (This year)!!

Congratulations to the Tiger's!!!

Merlin1958
03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
MLB 2013 has begun!!! Took, Merlin IV to his very first Spring Training game!!!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/1024/59919310151459274168044.jpg

BTW Merlin I/II & III were in attendance as well!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-03-2013, 07:07 PM
He's so cute....except for that shirt.

Ben Staad
03-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Awesome, Merlin! Hope you guys had a great time. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my MLB fix here but I'm sure there are some online resources (slow internet and all) that I can use.

Merlin1958
03-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Awesome, Merlin! Hope you guys had a great time. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my MLB fix here but I'm sure there are some online resources (slow internet and all) that I can use.

I hear MLB online is reasonable.

CRinVA
03-04-2013, 08:36 AM
I leave tomorrow for Sping training in Tampa Florida.
NYY v. Atlanta tomorrow night
NYY v Dominican Republic Wednesday afternoon

Ten travelling south to Sarasota to see Baltimore hosting Toronto on Thursday - scoping out the AL East competition.

And Cal Ripken signing his new book at his game - way cool!

And my wife is pissed as the DC area is predicting significant snowfall on Tuesday evening/Wednesday mnornign and I (the primary shoveller) will be in Sunny Florida! :-) Significant for DC is prob 6 inches - that will perilize the metro area! :-) They are such wimpy driveres here. Living the first 25 years of my life in Upstate NY I love dsriving in the snow.

Ben Staad
03-04-2013, 11:05 AM

Yep it probably is but my internet is to slow. I purchased the NHL package and literally couldn't watch it. 5 seconds of of game and than 15 seconds of pause. Netflix works barely but I'm thinking MLB will be the same as the NHL.

Merlin1958
03-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Yep it probably is but my internet is to slow. I purchased the NHL package and literally couldn't watch it. 5 seconds of of game and than 15 seconds of pause. Netflix works barely but I'm thinking MLB will be the same as the NHL.

Here's an innovative thought. Would it be better if you had MLB online and then watched the games at some "Internet Cafe" or other? I'd think they would offer faster WiFi, no? Assuming you have a Lap Top.

Ben Staad
03-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Here's an innovative thought. Would it be better if you had MLB online and then watched the games at some "Internet Cafe" or other? I'd think they would offer faster WiFi, no? Assuming you have a Lap Top.

<------Slaps Forehead. I always forget that actually leaving the house is an option as well. There are a few internet places at the near by base that I could go to.

Merlin1958
03-05-2013, 05:00 PM

<------Slaps Forehead. I always forget that actually leaving the house is an option as well. There are a few internet places at the near by base that I could go to.

LOL You may even be able to cultivate a following!!! Make sure you tell them Krauts about the Yanks as well!!!!

Ben Staad
03-05-2013, 11:48 PM
LOL You may even be able to cultivate a following!!! Make sure you tell them Krauts about the Yanks as well!!!!

I will certainly tell them all about the Yankees (non-biased of course, LOL!). Not that you care but I'm looking at the Tigers pitching staff and I am scared to death of anything past their starting pitching. I may be wrong but they appear to be very thin at middle relief (decent set-up and situational guys) and they do not have a closer.

Their offense will be in good shape as long as Hunter and V. Martinez are healthy. It should be murderes row 1 through 5 or even 6. Team speed is not great but man they have a ton of bats that can hit for average and power.

Merlin1958
03-06-2013, 07:14 AM

I will certainly tell them all about the Yankees (non-biased of course, LOL!). Not that you care but I'm looking at the Tigers pitching staff and I am scared to death of anything past their starting pitching. I may be wrong but they appear to be very thin at middle relief (decent set-up and situational guys) and they do not have a closer.

Their offense will be in good shape as long as Hunter and V. Martinez are healthy. It should be murderes row 1 through 5 or even 6. Team speed is not great but man they have a ton of bats that can hit for average and power.

LOL Gotta admit, things are a little uncertain for the Bomber's this spring. It's like they opened a MASH unit down there!!! Hopefully, they will get it together. Tiger's look fairly solid though.

Merlin1958
06-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Baseball Is Back!!!!!!

Where did you all go in the "Off Season"???? LOL LOL LOL

NickP
07-01-2013, 10:28 PM
My Buccos are the owners of MLB's best record!!

Ben Staad
07-01-2013, 10:30 PM

You just prompted me to look at the standings. Pretty amazing stuff going on in the MLB.

NickP
07-01-2013, 10:32 PM

You just prompted me to look at the standings. Pretty amazing stuff going on in the MLB.

If we collapse down the stretch again, I will be absolutely crushed.

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 03:22 PM
No matter what team you root for you gotta appreciate this...

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130716&content_id=53920516&c_id=nyy

Even if it's only good to see him go away!!!

Ben Staad
07-17-2013, 10:04 PM
That was very cool. Well deserved ovation. HOF bound and I hope younger players learn something from him. He was never in trouble (at least I don't recall anything), worked hard, and from all reports was a leader in the clubhouse.

No matter what team you root for you gotta appreciate this...

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130716&content_id=53920516&c_id=nyy

Even if it's only good to see him go away!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-17-2013, 10:41 PM
I enjoyed watching Mo. And as a Ranger's fan, I was so hoping Nathan wouldnt blow the save.

And how bout Cespedez. I mean fuck the A's on any other day, but his first round of the HRD was something to see.

CRinVA
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Biogenesis suspensions are imminent. Is it time to see A-Rod sweat!

Merlin1958
07-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Biogenesis suspensions are imminent. Is it time to see A-Rod sweat!

The sports talk guys in AZ are predicting one of two options for A-Roid. Suspension for the rest of this year and all of next (wherein he gets to keep $60 mil left on his contract) or, if he refuses and appeals the penalty "Lifetime Ban" and he forfeits all the cash from the Yanks.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-30-2013, 05:02 AM
Funny how Yankee fans have dropped him with the potential to recover the money. Looks like they will get the best of both worlds. They get the best player in baseball on the front end of his contract and get a couple of rings because they are able to offer a HUGE unreasonable contract. Then the last few years, when he sucks, and isn't worth his 27.5 million a year they get to unload him and recover the money. We should all be so lucky. I hope ARod gets at least one game in so the Yanks have to pony up some cash. Not that I think arod should get it. Should probably go to charity. Now Bill, you and Bob may give me a good thrashing, but you know that this isn't bullshit.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-30-2013, 05:04 AM
And I'm not speaking specifically about you two, just how I see the conversations going on ESPN, Sports Hoopla Etc.

CRinVA
07-30-2013, 06:10 AM
Well I for one have never been fully engaged with A-Rod! He has always brought drama to the team. Shame on the Yankees for giving him such a whopping contract! Should they have to pay for it all - I think not. If I contracted with anyone for a specific service and did not provide the service then I should not be paid! Will the Yankees get out of his contract - most likely not! oN the extendced DL - perhaps some sort of adjustment to pay. I work for a large corporation and if I were out for an extended period I fall under long term disability which is 60 % of pay.

I suppose thge same argument should go to Pujols - he has a whipping contract and the man cannot run the bases - he almost needs a wheelchair to get to 1st! These contracts should be structured to account for when players cannot live up to the hype wheter it be injury or cheating or breaking the law or the CBA or whatever!

Merlin1958
07-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Funny how Yankee fans have dropped him with the potential to recover the money. Looks like they will get the best of both worlds. They get the best player in baseball on the front end of his contract and get a couple of rings because they are able to offer a HUGE unreasonable contract. Then the last few years, when he sucks, and isn't worth his 27.5 million a year they get to unload him and recover the money. We should all be so lucky. I hope ARod gets at least one game in so the Yanks have to pony up some cash. Not that I think arod should get it. Should probably go to charity. Now Bill, you and Bob may give me a good thrashing, but you know that this isn't bullshit.

Well, I really can't argue from a "Business" standpoint, but Bob also has a good point. I think from the fan's POV it is more about betrayal. We all gave him a pass the first time around after he made those tearful confessions and then this!!! Not to mention his tabloid exploits in between. He's always gonna be compared to Jeter, in the Bronx, who has nary a blemish.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-30-2013, 07:24 AM
I agree with these arguments from a business standpoint, and I think that several teams have now gotten burned/are getting burned on these huge contracts. (Josh Hamilton lol) and I hop that this will lead to some more conservative contracts, at least in terms of years. Players are to the point that they have unrealistic expectations. The Angels will suffer for Pujols and Hamilton. I am bitter, and I know it. Too many of our best players have gone to the Yankees or other teams because the were financially better off than the rangers and could offer them huge ridiculous contracts. I'm sorry, but I feel like the Yankees got the good out of the ARod deal, and think it is fair that they should have to pay for it, or at least say 60% as Bob pointed out. And I reiterate, If arod is banned, I don't think he should get the money. I think it should go to charity. But, and forgive me my bitter Ranger heart, I don't think the Yankees should get to have the good without the bad. And WHY does my ipad auto capitalize Yankees and not rangers. Lol, even the computer is bias. Lolololololol.

Merlin1958
07-30-2013, 08:34 AM
I agree with these arguments from a business standpoint, and I think that several teams have now gotten burned/are getting burned on these huge contracts. (Josh Hamilton lol) and I hop that this will lead to some more conservative contracts, at least in terms of years. Players are to the point that they have unrealistic expectations. The Angels will suffer for Pujols and Hamilton. I am bitter, and I know it. Too many of our best players have gone to the Yankees or other teams because the were financially better off than the rangers and could offer them huge ridiculous contracts. I'm sorry, but I feel like the Yankees got the good out of the ARod deal, and think it is fair that they should have to pay for it, or at least say 60% as Bob pointed out. And I reiterate, If arod is banned, I don't think he should get the money. I think it should go to charity. But, and forgive me my bitter Ranger heart, I don't think the Yankees should get to have the good without the bad. And WHY does my ipad auto capitalize Yankees and not rangers. Lol, even the computer is bias. Lolololololol.

Well, in all honesty A-Rod could not handle NY from the gitgo. The Yanks only really got 2 "Arod" years maybe three and most were under the original Ranger deal. A-Rod's best days were in Seattle and Texas. Hamilton? How could the Angels not see that coming? Cashman, did not even sniff at that guy. Classic "Take the money and run". I think that sooner or later we will find out that Pujols was on the juice at one point also. The guy was just too good. Which now a days is a tell tale. The whole thing is a mess. Cruz was named as well. Yet baseball keeps saying the PED era is behind us!!! LOL LOL

Say what you like about the Yanks, but they put it all on the field and back in the team. Not like some guys (Twins come to mind) who pocket the cash and work the farm. NY demands, no expects to be competitive and the organization trys to honor that trust. Texas suffered from mismanagement in the past, but the new regime seems to be building correctly and it will all pay off soon I believe.

CRinVA
07-30-2013, 08:49 AM
I don't totally agree that the Yankees got the good end of the deal with A-Rod only, nor only the front end of his deal. Statistically speaking:

His 9.5 yrs as a Yankee don't match up to his three years as a Ranger!

In his 9.5 years as a Yankee (I am counting this year as half) he has only played the majority of all games (I am using 90% of 162) for the first 4 years. From 2008 -2012 he averaged 76% of all games played. Of course no games in 2013!

Arod averaged 190 hits/yr in Texas; as a Yankee through 2012 he averaged 152 hits/yr.
Arod averaged 52 HRs and 131 RBIs/year in Texas; as a Yankee thru 2012 he averaged 34 and 107, respectivey.
Arod has an avg BA of .305 while in Texas and as a Yankee thru 2012 he averaged .290

Arods last two years playing (2011 - 2012) were dismal to say the least.

So in my opinion I do not think the Yankees benefitted from all the upfront salary only. Arod has been falling since he left Texas while his salary has risen - shame on the Yankees for that faux pas! Do I think the Yankees should pay his remaining salary to a charity - no way! Do I think Arod should get it all, or some fraction of it! Less is best in my honest opinion. Personally I think Arod has done enough damage to the Yankees and to baseball in general and all the money he has made to date has made him a vey rich man. Baseball needs more Jeters, and Riveras, Ken Griffey Jrs and Chipper Jones, more manny Machados and Giancarlo Stantons and Mike Trouts and Bryce Harpers! More Grandersons and Pudge Rodriguez, the list goes on - there are great (not tainted) players out there!

I know we wont agree on much here and I don't want to belabor the point further. I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine.

Iwritecode
07-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Baseball needs more Jeters, and Riveras, Ken Griffey Jrs and Chipper Jones, more manny Machados and Giancarlo Stantons and Mike Trouts and Bryce Harpers! More Grandersons and Pudge Rodriguez, the list goes on - there are great (not tainted) players out there!

I was with you up until that last name...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Two walk off wins in a row!!! Go Rangers!

Merlin1958
08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Best of luck to you, Browning!!! There's always next year for the Yanks. I'd like to hope, but it seems to be too little, too late.

A little treat for us all. From a truly classic film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnlyHDAi-R8

Ben Staad
08-28-2013, 01:12 AM
I can't watch the clip but I do like that movie.

Ben Staad
10-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Tigers take game one! The pitching staff looks confident and solid. Hope it lasts.

P.S. I am so happy to be back in the states!

Merlin1958
10-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Tigers take game one! The pitching staff looks confident and solid. Hope it lasts.

Welcome back, Oh wayward one!!!

As you no doubt know, in my world when the Yanks are done, baseball is done (as is so often the case in reality!! LOL) Having said that, I really like the Tiger's to go all the way and will be rooting for them silently!! LOL

Ka-mai
10-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Oh my God, was this just sitting right on the first page? :doh: Sorry.

So, anyone have predictions of how this is going to go? I have to say the Rays aren't looking too good right now.

Ben Staad
10-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks Merlin but I have to say the Sox look pretty darn good.

Welcome back, Oh wayward one!!!

As you no doubt know, in my world when the Yanks are done, baseball is done (as is so often the case in reality!! LOL) Having said that, I really like the Tiger's to go all the way and will be rooting for them silently!! LOL

Oh my God, was this just sitting right on the first page? :doh: Sorry.

So, anyone have predictions of how this is going to go? I have to say the Rays aren't looking too good right now.

mtdman
10-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Back to the ALCS!! Whoo!

Ben Staad
10-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Whooo! Great game and loved seeing Verlander pitch so well.

Back to the ALCS!! Whoo!

Iwritecode
10-11-2013, 05:51 AM
This sucks. Now I just have to root for the team I hate the least out of the remaining 4.

Dodgers I guess? :frown2:

mtdman
10-12-2013, 05:10 PM
The Red Sox players all look like enormous douche bags with those beards.

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 05:12 PM

This does not often happen, but agreed!!! I sure hope Detroit can wax those fuckers!!!

Ben Staad
10-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Well I just watched UM suck it up. I hope the Tigers can do better.

This does not often happen, but agreed!!! I sure hope Detroit can wax those fuckers!!!

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Pitching duel in Bean-Town so far!!!

Are those beards real, or is it the "Duck Dynasty" guys??? LOL "Fear the Beard"? More like they "Fear a barber" and paying for a shave!!! LOL

Ka-mai
10-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't know, I think there are certain other teams that could have used some lucky beardage this year. :P

Right now I'm predicting Cards-Sox, but I haven't seen Detroit play very much this year. I could be way off.

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 05:49 PM
The New York Yankees do not tolerate facial hair like that. They have what is called "Class" even in a losing season.

Ka-mai
10-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Hey, nothing wrong with a neatly trimmed beard. The rest of the world wears them.

But yes, I could see how one wouldn't like the gnarly postseason growth. If it were year-round I'd probably be on the same boat, but a month is tolerable.

ANYWAY. The game. How is it going? Sadly, I don't have tv where I am tonight.

Ben Staad
10-12-2013, 06:12 PM
I need to borrow some NY charm for this series. For starters how about some of this, :FU: , for the Boston fans.

The New York Yankees do not tolerate facial hair like that. They have what is called "Class" even in a losing season.

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Hey, nothing wrong with a neatly trimmed beard. The rest of the world wears them.

But yes, I could see how one wouldn't like the gnarly postseason growth. If it were year-round I'd probably be on the same boat, but a month is tolerable.

ANYWAY. The game. How is it going? Sadly, I don't have tv where I am tonight.

0-0 in the sixth and they do it all year, my dear!!!

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 06:14 PM
:FU:

Boston Sucks!!!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img20/1839/tonyconigliaro.jpg

How's that, Tim?

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Top of the 7th, Tigers are up 1-0!!!!!!

Ka-mai
10-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Gah, missing it. Can't wait for the next game that I'll actually be able to see.

Ben Staad
10-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Sweet. I'm on a DVR delay and just on at the bottom of the 6th. GO TIGERS!

Top of the 7th, Tigers are up 1-0!!!!!!

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Gah, missing it. Can't wait for the next game that I'll actually be able to see.

I'll do my best to keep you up to date, but watch, Tim he is 2 runs away from armageddon!!! LOL LOL LOL

Ben Staad
10-12-2013, 06:32 PM
LOL! You better watch out! LOL!

I'll do my best to keep you up to date, but watch, Tim he is 2 runs away from armageddon!!! LOL LOL LOL

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 06:34 PM
LOL! You better watch out! LOL!

Ain't baseball "grand"???? LOL LOL

Surely "Giant Football" is not so much!!!

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:00 PM
For you, Ka-Mai, Pitching change in the bottom of the 7th. Sanchez is out and Al Alberquerque is in!!! Nobody out!!

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Pinch hitter, one out.

You getting this? LOL

"K" two out and Ellsbury up.

mtdman
10-12-2013, 07:04 PM

It creeped me out so much I went and shaved my head and face. Ugh. More annoying is the clip they played in the pregame talking about their beard names. Talk about arrogance. I'm glad my Tigers don't have any douche beards.

I am annoyed in general at the popular trend to grow out those monster beards. Daniel Bryan and the Duck Commander people started that. I might even pass on my winter beard this year because of that.

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Ellsbury K's top of the 8th

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:12 PM
You still with me, or should I go home?

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Fielder walks. 1 out and Martinex up.

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Martinez flies out, peralta doubles 2nd and third two away.

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:18 PM
They walk Infante.. Bases loaded, 2 out.

Avila up. Bases loaded.

3-1 on Avila

Fly out to center. bottom of the 8th

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Anyone out there? Or am I the only one one that's rooting for Detroit?

The Tigers have a collective "No Hitter" going so far!!

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 07:28 PM
OK, no one is here. Best of luck folks!!!

mtdman
10-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Anyone out there? Or am I the only one one that's rooting for Detroit?

The Tigers have a collective "No Hitter" going so far!!

SHHHHH!

mtdman
10-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Victory!!!

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes!! And a one hitter to boot!!

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
So, such fair hearted fans, eh? Except for you MTDman!!! Good to know you all do not root for the Yanks!!! LOL LOL

Ben Staad
10-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Game one win. I would not have ever guessed a 1-0 win, and a one hitter to boot, after seeing what the sox did to the rays.

So, such fair hearted fans, eh? Except for you MTDman!!! Good to know you all do not root for the Yanks!!! LOL LOL

Merlin1958
10-13-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and pick Scherzer over Bucholz, that scum sucking animal!!! LOL LOL LOL

See how they like leaving Boston down 0-2!!!

Have I mentioned I hate the Red Sux almost as much as I love the Yanks? :smile_002:

mtdman
10-13-2013, 03:09 PM
I would not have guessed a no hitter but I expected to win one in boston. The Tigers match up with the Red Beards better than Oakland. Oakland is just a pain in the ass.

Merlin1958
10-13-2013, 03:11 PM
I would not have guessed a no hitter but I expected to win one in boston. The Tigers match up with the Red Beards better than Oakland. Oakland is just a pain in the ass.

I truly hope they can repeat the effort!!!

Edit: Seriously, are those "beards" real? LOL LOL

Iwritecode
10-14-2013, 06:02 AM
10 years ago today, this guy became an unwilling celebrity.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5259af6c/turbine/ct-spt-1013-cubs-bartman-chicago-20131013-001/600/600x400

I remember where I was when it happened. I was working in the dairy department of a grocery store so I don't know the exact moment but during the game, somebody kept announcing the inning and score over the PA system. Then they quit and I never heard the final score until I got to my car.

I had resigned myself to having to see the Cubs in the WS but I knew something had happened since I didn't hear anyone in the store celebrating. I flipped on the radio and heard the host talking about how it was despicable the way cubs fans treated "that kid".

After a game 7 loss, the rest is history...

Ben Staad
10-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Getting a split in Boston isn't so bad. 2-0 would have been better but I suppose the Tigers weak spot can't step up every night.

Merlin1958
10-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Getting a split in Boston isn't so bad. 2-0 would have been better but I suppose the Tigers weak spot can't step up every night.

What should bother you is this, why in the name of Fuck's sake would you pitch to "Big Papi" with the bases loaded and a 5-1 lead? They were asking for trouble and got a big dose of it. You would think Leyland was smarter than that. I would think you pitched one of those "Unintentional/intentional walks" to him and suffered a run or two. Personally, as a Yankee fan admittedly, I would never let Ortiz beat me. If he walks in a run, so be it and move on to Napoli and do the same. I mean there was two outs and it was the 8th inning.

Even if they gave up 2 runs they still could have weathered "Mr. Armpit name'" hit in the 9th and won.

Sometimes "Baseball guys" amaze me.

Merlin1958
10-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Talk about digging your own grave!!! Man, how could the Tiger's waste such a great effort by Verlander like that? Not like they didn't have the right guys up when they needed them. C'mon Detroit whip these fuckers!!!!

Still cannot believe Leyland fucked up so bad the other night!! Maybe I should stop watching. I just may be a fucking jinx!! LOL

Merlin1958
10-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Boy, what the heck kinda fans are you folks? I'm a "Yankee" fan and seem to be more into this series than you guys. Humph, what a fan base!!!

Root your boys to a win, whomever you root for!!!

Ben Staad
10-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Way to go Tigers! Love to see them spot the Red Sux a game.

Ben Staad
10-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Damn. Missed the game but saw the score. Happy tonight.

mtdman
10-17-2013, 10:22 AM
A couple of tough games, but last night was pretty good. Nice juggling of the lineup by Leyland. Go Tigers!

Merlin1958
10-17-2013, 01:48 PM
So, with a win they all come back!!! LOL LOL I really want to see the Tiger's go to the series this year. Seems more appropriate for some reason. Lord knows, I HATE the Red Sux!!!

Predictions for game 5, Sanchez vs. Lester?

Ben Staad
10-17-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm going for the Tigers in a wild and high scoring affair.

Ben Staad
10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Looks like I'm going to be wrong. It sucks that we don't get to see Miggy at 100% but I suppose them the breaks.

Walkingman79
10-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Let's go Red Sox!!!Good game and goodnite.What a series!!!:dance:

Walkingman79
10-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I think the Dodgers are coming up with a win to push a game 7.I'll go with 3-1 Dodgers over the Cards.

Still Servant
10-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Tigers needed to win last night. No way they win two games in a row at Boston. Unfortunately. Tigers should have won this series. Never should have lost game 2. I know Max says he was done, but I personally think he was covering for Leyland. He struck out two batters in the 7th and had 108 pitches. I think Leyland saw a big enough lead and wanted to save bullets for Scherzer's next start. I know Max doesn't tend to go deep into games, but it's the playoffs.

Interesting facts: On August 18 Max pitched 8 innings with 110 pitches. In round 1, he threw 118 pitches against the A's. 123 pitches against the Twins on September 25th. He could have squeezed another inning out of Scherzer. He knows it too.

The other thing is that I thought he went to Smyly too soon. I know he wanted to get Ellsbury, but you have to save Smyly for Ortiz. Bring in Coke for Ellsbury if you want. I like Leyland, but he botched that game.

Walkingman79
10-18-2013, 06:43 PM
....or just a complete shalacking by St. Louis.

I gotta chime in hear Servant.Although I agree with a lot of your analysis one thing remains true.Ortiz is the most clutch postseason hitter the Sox have ever seen and he did it again.All moves aside these are major league pitchers and all he had to do was not let up the grand slam.Easier said than done against Ortiz and Hunter flipping over the wall made it the stuff of legends.Sox pitching has hung right with the Tigers and Farrel has made a few questionable moves to the bullpen himself.It has been a pretty even series and I give the Tigers the edge in strikeouts but the Sox play with heart and grit and are on the verge of something pretty special.

Ka-mai
10-19-2013, 07:50 AM
The Tigers have been great this series, but they made some major mistakes. Not walking Ortiz was probably the worst one. That said, their fielding is excellent and I really thought they were going to take the championship at a couple points. No way they'll take two games at Fenway. Here's a little something from MLB.com:

The Red Sox are 5-0 all-time in Game 6 at Fenway. The most memorable of those five triumphs was the epic contest against the Reds in 1975, when Bernie Carbo hit a pinch-hit three-run homer in the eighth, and Carlton Fisk hit the foul pole in the 12th.

The last Game 6 at Fenway was in the 2007 ALCS, when J.D. Drew belted a grand slam and Curt Schilling won yet another big game, forcing Game 7 against the Indians.

I think tonight is going to be a really interesting game. I can't wait. :D

Merlin1958
10-19-2013, 12:44 PM
You do not pitch to Ortiz with a four run lead and the bases loaded. Give up the run and move on!!!

Ben Staad
10-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Damn. The Tigers need to figure out how to score some runs.

Ben Staad
10-19-2013, 07:31 PM
FU Shane.

Merlin1958
10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
"Baseball" ends when the "Yankees" do!!! History proves it!!!

Walkingman79
10-28-2013, 06:07 PM
"Baseball" ends when the "Yankees" do!!! History proves it!!!

With that theory baseball was over in May this year. C'mon over to the World series thread...still plenty of baseball :rock:

Ben Staad
10-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Congrats to the American League to winning the World Series. :confused:

mikeC
11-06-2013, 11:27 AM
this is a really interesting short on how this couple made the MLB schedule for 20 years
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9897968

I tried to embed the video but it wouldn't work.
<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a 26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:9897968&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

Iwritecode
01-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Congrats to Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas for being elected to the MLB Hall of Fame.

The “Big Hurt” is one of the reasons I became a Sox fan and was my favorite player growing up. He was a guy that when he stepped to the plate you stopped what you were doing and watched him.

He’s also a really great person and I got to meet him and get an autograph and picture taken with him at the annual Soxfest convention one year. He was a little gruff to the media when he was a player but I’ve never heard a fan have a bad experience with him.

CRinVA
01-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Those three are deserving; there are others in my mind, but the BBWAA rules are prohibitive (can only list 10 players) which probably kept Biggio 2 votes away from induction; AND there are a-hole voting members who have stated that they willnot vote for anyone in the PED era. The Dodgers Beat Reporter only voted for Jack Morris - didn't vote Maddux, glavine, etc because they are from the PED era - who defiines this era? Morris and Maddox overlapped several years. He said he as voting no onbe next year. Wow Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez to name a couple of first year inductees all but guaranteed!

Who says who took PEDs or any other performance enhancers before testing. Who cares about alcoholics, womanizers, gamblers, ....... What about amphetemenes? Many players took them to pick up their game; to get over a cold, etc. What about tommy John Surgery - gee taking a ligament from one part of the body and placing it elsewhefre - isn't this performance enhancement! How about cortisone shots - wow they numb the affected area so the palyer can play through the pain. Performance enhancement if you ask me!

Just saying this is clear as mud and the powers to be should re-evaluate and minimally should remove voting rights for those that are simply not voting for anyone during their def of the PED era. Lots of deserving people could be passed over just because of when they played.

Merlin1958
04-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Okay, this may be trivial, but it kind of stuck in my craw. So our Chandler Youth Baseball, PONY/Colt league was sponsored by the D-Backs this year, a real boon to the league as they provided all the uniforms, hats and socks for the players. Worth probably $10K to the league and that was absolutely wonderful!! However, we played our first game and I noticed that a player on the other team had a jersey with the number "42" on it!!! Am I crazy or does that seem wrong? MLB retired number 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson and Mariano Rivera, the last MLB player to wear the number, retired last year. So why is a MLB franchise issuing jersey's with "42" on it? I'm guessing that I am missing something here.

Still Servant
04-16-2014, 05:26 PM
It's a youth league not the majors.

Go to any little league game in the country and you will see the #42. It's not a big deal. MLB has retired it.

That's like saying that a local little league team that calls themselves the Yankees can't use the #7 because it was Mickey Mantle's number and the Yankees retired it.

Are you sure you got got sponsored by the ACTUAL Diamondbacks? I guess I'm surprised because that stuff never happens around here. You get sponsored by local businesses. Seems a lot easier to get that done than by begging a major franchise.

Merlin1958
04-16-2014, 06:17 PM
It's a youth league not the majors.

Go to any little league game in the country and you will see the #42. It's not a big deal. MLB has retired it.

That's like saying that a local little league team that calls themselves the Yankees can't use the #7 because it was Mickey Mantle's number and the Yankees retired it.

Are you sure you got got sponsored by the ACTUAL Diamondbacks? I guess I'm surprised because that stuff never happens around here. You get sponsored by local businesses. Seems a lot easier to get that done than by begging a major franchise.

I can see what you are saying, but yes, we were definitely sponsored by the MLB D-Backs. That's why it struck me as odd. Why would a major league club print a "42" when they are restricted from doing so. Especially the, D-Backs who have no ties to, Robinson whatsoever. IDK maybe I'm being too critical.

Still Servant
04-16-2014, 07:04 PM
They're only restricted at the Major League level. For the 15 people who are watching youth baseball, I'm not sure they are going to worry. If some young kid wants to honor Jackie by wearing his number, more power to him.

Merlin1958
04-16-2014, 10:29 PM
They're only restricted at the Major League level. For the 15 people who are watching youth baseball, I'm not sure they are going to worry. If some young kid wants to honor Jackie by wearing his number, more power to him.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. It just caught my eye is all, being such a "Yankee" fan and Mo and all. It seemed strange, but you are right.

CRinVA
04-25-2014, 12:46 PM
And I am sure there are more than 15 people watching Youth Ball! :-)