PDA

View Full Version : Field of Dreams - All things Baseball

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Merlin1958
04-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Isn't baseball just wonderful? I have some really talented kids this year, very capable of winning a trophy, if they don't "give it away", but they are truly a very good group of kids. Baseball makes America go around, no?

Bob, next time you are in AZ, let's have a catch!!!

Also, I have "Fans" SS, they do the "wave" every game and it's more than "15" for the record!!

CRinVA
04-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Well if I'm ever in AZ again we will meet up for some catch! Last tiem I was there (only time actually) was a business trip to Fort Hauchuca! I did get to visit Tombstone and that was pretty cool! That was sometime around 199 - 95 if my old memory recalls!

I dont take many business trips these days - in fact I work from home and barely drive as it is. My wife lets me have the keys onteh weekend! LOL. I have only put 3K miles on my truck since last August! You'd think I was retired! LOL

CRinVA
04-28-2014, 11:59 AM
You know my son is now the Ticket Manager for the Potomac Nationals (High A affiliate to the Washington Nationals and we are starting to go to more and more games. I bought tickets to ten games for me and my wife to get him some extra commission as the pay is pretty crappy, but he also gets us free tickets. And free parking vouchers and free food vouchers! It's a good deal and fun watching these kids play Sngle A ball all hoping to be moved up and out. Lots of fun and for the Minor Leagues I am a P-Nats fan now. Yesterday I couldn't go as I had another committment, but Doug Fister was doing a rehab start at P-Nats. My son came home with a signed ball - pretty cool. Now we hear Harper is on DL and if he does a rehab start maybe he'll get a Harper signed ball. That'd be cool.

As a bit of trivia, guess who is one of the P-Nats Bull Pen pitchers. This guy about a year older than Harper named Harper! Bryce's older brother!

My son had to get up early today - like 5am. He had to be at the park at 5:30am to give one of the players a ride to the airport an hour from here. I asked him when he got back where was he going and Brett just said he didn't want to ask in case he was being demoted. The AA affiliate is close enough that he wouldn't have taken a plane! I said maybe it was a family emergency or something. So he's Ticket Manager, driver, tarp puller, and he occassinoally gets dressed up as Uncle Slam the P-Nats Mascot for events. In fact, when they show the Uncle Slam commercial on the scoreboard screen, it's my son Brett in the suit. His moment of fame and no one knows it's him! He wore it one day to an event and he got to throw out the first pitch with these two guys. One was a former Big Leaguer (spent most of his career in the minors, and now runs a baseball academy and does some one-on-one personal coaching) that went to the same HS as Brett, and the other was his HS Varsity Baseball Coach. They had no idea Brett was out there with them. Once in the suit you are not allowed to speak!

Iwritecode
04-29-2014, 08:26 AM
You kno my son is now teh Ticket manager for teh Potomac Nationals (High A affiliate to teh Washington Nationals and we are starting to go to more and more games. I b ought tickets to ten games for me and my wife to get his some extra comission as tehy pay crappy, but he also gets us free tickets. And free parking vouchers and free food vouchers! Its a good deal and fun watching these kids play single A ball all hoping to be moved up and out. Lots of fun and for teh Minor Leagues I am a P-Nats fan now. Yesterday I couldngt go as I had another committment, but Doug Fister was doing a rehab start at P-Nats. My son came home with a signed ball - rpetty cool. Now we hear Harper is on DL and if he does a rehab start maybe he;ll get a Harper signed ball. That's be cool.

As a bit of trivia, guess who is one of the P-Nats bull pen pitchers. This guy about a year older thabn Harper named Harper! Bryce's oplder brother!

My son had to get up early today - like 5am. He has to be at teh park at 5:30 to give one of the players a ride to teh airport an hour from here. I asked hinm when he got back ehre was he going and Brett just said I didnt want to ask in case he was being demoted. The AA affiliate is close enough that he wouldnt have taken a plane! I said maybe it was a family emergency or something. So hes ticket manager, driver, tarp puller, and he occassinoally gets dressed up as Uncle Slam teh mascot for events. In fact when they show the Unclse Slam commercial on the scoreboard screen, its my son Brett i the suit. his m oment of fame and noone knows it ' him! He wore it one day ot an event and he got to throw out the first pitch with these two guys. One was a former Big Leaguer (spent most of his career int he minors, and know runs a baseball academy and does some one on one personal couaching) that went to the same HS as Brett and the other was his HS Varsity Baseball coach. They have no idea Brett was out there with them. Once in the suit you are not allowed to speak!

I’ve never seen the non-word “teh” so many times in a single post.

CRinVA
04-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Sorry I tend to be dislexic and forget to proofread! It's my most misspelled word ever! :-)

Many many errors just edited. Wow I need to proofread more often. :redface1:

mtdman
05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Tigers are 20-9 and have the best record in baseball right now. They started shakey but seem to have gelled quickly. Really liking how the starting pitching is doing, how the young Castellanos is doing, and of course how Miggy is tearing things up. Price for Kinsler seems to have been a great trade for us as well.

Go Tigers!

Ben Staad
05-08-2014, 04:36 AM
Yep. Go Tigers! Starting pitching is still top notch even without Fister. I'm hopeful that V Mart can continue playing well and that there are no major injuries. I also really like the pickup of Raja. He is playing great so far and added some nice speed to the team.

They should be a contender.

Mattrick
05-08-2014, 08:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/y2SpJ1i.gif

Edwin took the parrot for a walk twice tonight! WOOOO!!! Swept four straight games against the Phillies.

Merlin1958
05-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Thats great, Matts!!

I know he is a "Yankee", but perhaps even a little more than, Mo (who is THE greatest closer of all time, despite recent claims to the contrary), isn't it a little sad, for all baseball fans to see the face of a franchise and even MLB hang up his cleats? You may have hated him, but you had to respect him, Derek Jeter!!! Sad day for baseball, when he says "Good Bye" to the game.

Mattrick
05-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I hate Mariano Rivera because he spent his career in the same division as the Jays but he is the greatest closer ever. And I have a lot of respect for a guy like him who never let success get to his head, he was loyal and he never forgot the little people. Hearing that during his last season when he went to a park for the last time he took time out to talk with the grounds crew and stadium workers and the fans there...that's pure class.

Ben Staad
05-09-2014, 04:56 AM
The stats do not lie. He is the all times saves leader by a good sized margin. If you look at him having over 600 saves in his career and compare that against the other greats there is not one player close. Trevor Hoffman is the only in the neighborhood and from there it takes a massive drop off.

...Mo (who is THE greatest closer of all time, despite recent claims to the contrary),...

Iwritecode
05-09-2014, 07:53 AM
I remember one time I was in the car listening to the radio and the White Sox were playing the Yankees. The Yankees had the lead and the Sox failed to score in the bottom of the 8th. I simply turned the radio off because I knew that meant Mariano would be closing it out.

My wife looked at me and said “What happened? Is the game over?” I just said “Yea, it’s over.”

I later learned that the Sox came back in the bottom of the 9th to give him a rare blown save and then eventually won it. But 9 times out of ten, when he came in the game was over.

Merlin1958
05-09-2014, 02:57 PM
The stats do not lie. He is the all times saves leader by a good sized margin. If you look at him having over 600 saves in his career and compare that against the other greats there is not one player close. Trevor Hoffman is the only in the neighborhood and from there it takes a massive drop off.

...Mo (who is THE greatest closer of all time, despite recent claims to the contrary),...

I don't cotton to it, but there is an argument regarding the title as "Greatest of all time" that is somewhat valid. Goose Gossage is the one supporting it. The role of the closer is one that has definitely evolved over time to the present definition. Back when, Goose was the "Fireman" they often pitched two and three innings to get the save. Mo, generally pitched the ninth only except in the playoff's

Still, in my book, baseball has always been about the numbers and, Mo is light years ahead of anyone.

I do fondly recall the sight of that big, ugly Fu Manchu ensconsed face leering with deadly intent at the batters!!

Ben Staad
05-09-2014, 03:37 PM
I certainly think Eckersly (sp?) was one of the most fearsome closers but Mo compiled the stats. Back in the day they didn't monitor pitch counts as much and I wonder if Goose had the same percentage of save chances as Mo? Maybe or maybe not. Would be interesting to compare that.

Merlin1958
05-09-2014, 03:48 PM
I certainly think Eckersly (sp?) was one of the most fearsome closers but Mo compiled the stats. Back in the day they didn't monitor pitch counts as much and I wonder if Goose had the same percentage of save chances as Mo? Maybe or maybe not. Would be interesting to compare that.

As I said, the role of the closer is probably the single most evolving role in baseball in that past 100 years. It's the most debatable role in baseball, perhaps even more so than the "DH". The numbers will probably not correlate, but it would be cool to at least examine them. Just for the heck of it.

Mattrick
05-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Smoltz was a great closer, probably the best to have taken that role after being a great starter too.

Mattrick
05-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Jays are winners of seven in a row! Swept Boston (EAT IT FARRELL) and the MLB best Athletics (BYAH!!!!) and now it's time to sweep the Rays. We're the hottest team in Baseball and I don't see any extinguishers around!!!

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/l/t1.0-9/10154957_10154197991535571_5626404138433433949_n.j pg

Merlin1958
06-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Jays are winners of seven in a row! Swept Boston (EAT IT FARRELL) and the MLB best Athletics (BYAH!!!!) and now it's time to sweep the Rays. We're the hottest team in Baseball and I don't see any extinguishers around!!!

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/l/t1.0-9/10154957_10154197991535571_5626404138433433949_n.j pg

They "were" the hottest team in baseball, but now those brooms look shockingly like the "Wicked Witch of the West" LOL All burned up!!!

:YYY::YYY::YYY:

Mattrick
06-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Yet our AL East lead has barely diminished ;)

CRinVA
06-17-2014, 09:58 AM
So my son Brett currently works for the Potomac Nationals, the Single A (high) affiliate to the Washington Nationals. As part of the front office staff (he is the Ticket Manager) he has an access pass to the California/Carolina All-Start Game 2014. His team put him up in a hotel in Wilmington, DE and he and a few other "interns" went yesterday - they get to see the Home Run Derby tonight and the actual All*Star game tomorrow. Last night was kind of a meet n greet. Thus the reason for my post. Here's my son Brett with another Brett you might know!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1155.jpg

Iwritecode
06-17-2014, 01:34 PM
I saw something that actually warmed my heart this weekend. Kids playing some sort of baseball completely on their own. No adults, no organized leagues, no umpires…

We have a permanent site at a campground that we spend weekends at during the summer. Our site faces a playground and a basketball court. Both are just across a small gravel road.

The campground doesn’t have an actual baseball diamond but it’s not unusual to see a few people throwing a ball back and forth.

One pair of kids had the idea to simply use the basketball court as a baseball diamond. There were only two of them but they took turns just throwing a ball up and hitting it. Then they used the corners of the court as “bases” to run around. They even got their parents to come in and pitch to them for a few minutes.

I remember when I was a kid I would literally spend hours with just a bat and a tennis ball just hitting it back and forth across an open field. If we could get enough of the neighborhood kids together, we’d play something resembling an actual game. This was on top of the organized games I’d play at the local community center all summer long.

That’s just something you don’t see anymore. Baseball diamonds and open fields mostly sit empty now.

My daughter plays softball but she just doesn’t have the passion for it like I did and still do. We have a big field right across the street from our house and she never goes over there unless I go with her. Even when we are camping she never seems to want to get her glove out and throw a ball around.

I’m guessing if the two kids from the campground had a field like that near their house, they’d be there every single day, just like I was. But they seem to be the exception these days.

Merlin1958
06-17-2014, 03:14 PM
So my son Brett currently works for the Potomac Nationals, the Single A (high) affiliate to the Washington Nationals. As part of the front office staff (he is the Ticket Manager) he has an access pass to the California/Carolina All-Start Game 2014. His team put him up in a hotel in Wilmington, DE and he and a few other "interns" went yesterday - they get to see the Home Run Derby tonight and the actual All*Star game tomorrow. Last night was kind of a meet n greet. Thus the reason for my post. Here's my son Brett with another Brett you might know!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1155.jpg

You should have told him to give, George some pine tar!!! LOL

Merlin1958
06-17-2014, 03:16 PM
I saw something that actually warmed my heart this weekend. Kids playing some sort of baseball completely on their own. No adults, no organized leagues, no umpires…

We have a permanent site at a campground that we spend weekends at during the summer. Our site faces a playground and a basketball court. Both are just across a small gravel road.

The campground doesn’t have an actual baseball diamond but it’s not unusual to see a few people throwing a ball back and forth.

One pair of kids had the idea to simply use the basketball court as a baseball diamond. There were only two of them but they took turns just throwing a ball up and hitting it. Then they used the corners of the court as “bases” to run around. They even got their parents to come in and pitch to them for a few minutes.

I remember when I was a kid I would literally spend hours with just a bat and a tennis ball just hitting it back and forth across an open field. If we could get enough of the neighborhood kids together, we’d play something resembling an actual game. This was on top of the organized games I’d play at the local community center all summer long.

That’s just something you don’t see anymore. Baseball diamonds and open fields mostly sit empty now.

My daughter plays softball but she just doesn’t have the passion for it like I did and still do. We have a big field right across the street from our house and she never goes over there unless I go with her. Even when we are camping she never seems to want to get her glove out and throw a ball around.

I’m guessing if the two kids from the campground had a field like that near their house, they’d be there every single day, just like I was. But they seem to be the exception these days.

Yeah, when I was a kid we'd leave the house first thing in the morning and not come home til dark. We'd take a break and start another game all day long. At lunch time we'd scan the woods for bottles and cans to pay for some deli meat and a loaf of bread!! LOL

CRinVA
06-19-2014, 09:43 AM
When I was a kid we built a baseball field. We even got someone's Dad to put up a chicken wire fence for Home Runs. Back then it was always easy to get enough kids to field two teams. We always just jumbled up who was on what teams.

We also used to play a whiffle ball version in this friends back yard with a very thin bat! It was harder to hit the ball than playing the "regular" way!

And yes Bill. Out of the house in the morning only to return around supper time. No phones no parents really knew where we were and we made out just fine. Back then all you needed was a bike, a glove and be sure someone had a bat and a few balls. We'd play with the balls til they literally fell apart!

Life was good. T here is no way my kids would have been out of the house all day without us knowing where they were or keeping in touch by cell phone!

We also rode our bikes to school and just put them on the bike racks provided. No locks no problem! Kids do not ride bikes to school any more!

:-)

Merlin1958
07-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Well, we had a great MLB weekend. Celebrated, Gehrig (As well as his iconic "speech") and the Independence of America, along with the continued march to the HOF for, Derek Jeter, who recorded his 3,400th hit!!! Not a bad weekend at all!!!

:YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY:

CRinVA
07-28-2014, 05:39 AM
So last night I was at a Single A Minor League ballgame - the Potomac Nationals; not a bad game P-Nats started 4 - 0 then 5 - 1 then by the 7th inning it was 5 - 5 - and yep, extra innings. Free baseball as they say. Well the reason for my post is this. Remember my son is the Box Office Manager there so sometimes I get early scoop! Well the P-Nats Third Baseman is this Dominican guy named Tejada. On defense his glove is like a magnate. Nothing gets by him - never an error. At the plate he has power - His dinger in the 2nd inning made it 4 - 0. Well in the bottom of the 11th with two outs he sailed a walk off homer over dead center, the farthest from the plate. I kept thinking this is a guy that is going places.

Later that evening when my son got home from the game - part of his duty is counting the money from the box office and all the food vendors, and the store! The game ended at 9:30pm (it started at 6:05) and they had firewaorks after the game. Very seldom do we stay for the fireworks. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt! :-) Needless to say when Brett got home he informed me that Tejada was no longer with the team - right after the game he was informed to be in Richmond tomorrow morning (today) to become the newest member of a AA Team! You have to love the Minor leagues.

Brett also told me about this fan fave named Will Powinica-Worms - yep a very strange name. He is a center fielder and according to an interview in the game book handed out at each game, he is a fave among the team members as well. Well he too is no longer on the team - in fact he is no longer a baseball player - he has retired from Single A. Had a serious injury and everyone thinks that's the straw that broke the camel's back. Not to worry, this Duke Pre-Med graduate has already been accepted into Medical School! Cool Huh!

One more note from the game - Pitchers are vulnerable - the most vulnerable being off balance after the pitch when perhaps a batted ball comes back at them faster than they let it sail to the plate. The Opposing team (Carolina Mudcats - love the name) pitcher took a liner to the side of the head. He went down in a heartbeat. Eventually he got upa nd walked off on his own - thank goodness - I am sure he minimally has a concussion.

Oh and one more thing from the game book passed out. Who is the most famous Carolina Mudcat alum - none other than two time MLB MVP and triple crown winner Miguel Cabrerra! He was a Mudcat back in 2002! Not too shabby!

Iwritecode
07-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Minor league ball is great. We've had a minor league team in Rockford for as long as I can remember. They kept changing franchises when I was a kid. They were the Expos, Royals, Reds and Cubs at one point or another. Now we just have an independent league team.

I went through and made a list of the best players to have come through Rockford and came up with a pretty decent lineup. Guys like Adam Dunn, Johnny Damon, Matt Stairs, Mike Sweeney, Jon Garland...

We also had a certain professional women's team in Rockord that had a movie made about them.

Merlin1958
07-28-2014, 05:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M8szlSa-8o

Ben Staad
07-31-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm excited about the move by the Tigers. It gives them a great starting rotation for the final push this year and will keep them solid for next year since Max will probably be gone. I truly wish they could have addressed left infield or shored up the pen a bit more but overall great trade.

Mattrick
07-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Gives them a great starting rotation? They already HAD a great starting rotation lol. Though all these moves only help the Jays get into the playoffs since say, we face Boston six more times and don't have to worry about Lackey or Lester in those games. If we make the playoffs...it's going to be scary facing either the Tigers or the A's.

Ben Staad
07-31-2014, 06:38 PM
LOL. I suppose you are right but Verlander has had a rough year. It is funny how quickly I've forgotten what it means to have a bad rotation.

Gives them a great starting rotation? They already HAD a great starting rotation lol. Though all these moves only help the Jays get into the playoffs since say, we face Boston six more times and don't have to worry about Lackey or Lester in those games. If we make the playoffs...it's going to be scary facing either the Tigers or the A's.

Mattrick
07-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Our rotation last year was a joke. Between injuries and people under performing...I mean, we had to sign Chien-Ming Wang. We had that homophobic combination of Dickey, Wang and Johnson for a few weeks lol

Ben Staad
08-01-2014, 05:28 AM
Sounds like the team may have missed out on a great promo night at the park. :belial:

We had that homophobic combination of Dickey, Wang and Johnson for a few weeks lol

Ben Staad
09-27-2014, 05:34 PM
If tonights scores hold true it looks like the Tigers will be backing into the playoffs.

Merlin1958
09-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Congrats, Tim!!!

Ben Staad
09-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks. It took every single game and now the Tigers get to face the O's.

Merlin1958
09-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks. It took every single game and now the Tigers get to face the O's.

I would think that the, Tigers will have the edge. Now, and going forward with that staff and offense.

Ben Staad
10-05-2014, 03:28 PM
In with a whimper and out with barely a sound. Congrats to the O's.

Merlin1958
10-05-2014, 03:49 PM

I'm sorry for you, Tim. That bullpen is fucking miserable!!! WTF?????

Ben Staad
10-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks. The pen has been a mess all year and they did an awful job addressing it during the year. Unless they do something different I'm not sure they will see the playoffs next year.

Merlin1958
10-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks. The pen has been a mess all year and they did an awful job addressing it during the year. Unless they do something different I'm not sure they will see the playoffs next year.

They could add to the Pen by dropping, Joba. It's a shame, nut the Yanks screwed him up for good.

Ben Staad
10-05-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure where the contractual stuff stands however there shouldn't be anyone in their pen who feels safe this offseason.

Merlin1958
10-05-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure where the contractual stuff stands however there shouldn't be anyone in their pen who feels safe this offseason.

I hear that. And who names their kid, Joba?????? Pizza Hut??? LOL

Merlin1958
10-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Congratulations to the:

Kansas City Royals!!!

Ben Staad
10-16-2014, 04:05 AM
Agreed. This years postseason has been very entertaining.

Congratulations to the:

Kansas City Royals!!!

Mattrick
10-16-2014, 01:55 PM
I haven't to really watch much of the post season. I've been busy. Will definitely be watching as much of the series as I can though. GO ROYALS!

Merlin1958
10-16-2014, 02:01 PM
I haven't to really watch much of the post season. I've been busy. Will definitely be watching as much of the series as I can though. GO ROYALS!

Good to know!!

Just kidding, I couldn't resist the snarky comment opportunity. Sorry!! LOL

racerx45
10-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Yes Way To Go Giants

CRinVA
10-17-2014, 06:44 AM
So it's to be a Wild Card World Series! Since my team is long since looking to 2015, I'll side with the KC Royals! Somewhere I heard that the series might not have a single player born in the 20th Century! :-)

Jon
10-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but is that pine tar all over the front of Alex Gorden's batting helmet?

I thought you couldn't add substances to help your grip after taking your at bat.

Iwritecode
10-22-2014, 06:47 AM
AFAIK, it’s a pretty common practice in MLB. I remember seeing a lot of players with pine tar smeared on their helmets. Manny Ramirez, Vlad Guerrero, Orlando Cabrera and Darrin Erstad are a few off the top of my head.

Unless they’ve changed the rule recently.

Jon
10-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Perhaps I am getting things confused wit the league I played in when I was a younger man. Just city leagues. I tested a lot of rules. I even told the ump once that I mastyrbated a lot that's why there was a "substance" on the ball from my hands... he didn't buy it I was removed from the game. As the 2nd baseman, I was about the last resort for a pitcher too. It took almost a decade to live that one down.

Ben Staad
10-29-2014, 04:04 AM
Pretty good WS this year. I would love to see the Royals take it all this year however both teams are great.

Odetta
10-29-2014, 08:59 AM
One... More... Game!

Jon
10-29-2014, 09:46 AM
A better series than I expected.

racerx45
10-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Thank you Giants for a great season

Ben Staad
10-30-2014, 04:03 AM
Congrats to The Giants!

Odetta
10-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Yay, Giants!!!!

Jon
10-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Bumgarner is a machine

Congrats SF!

Ben Staad
03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Time to ramp up some Tiger roars! Where are all the Tiger fans? I'm very anxious to see what the offense can do this year and hopeful Verlander can be serviceable. It feels like he is on the edge of Linecum land so my fingers are certainly crossed.

Still Servant
03-03-2015, 06:53 PM
This is a big year for the Tigers. I feel their window might be closing.

Merlin1958
03-03-2015, 06:56 PM

Spring Training when everyone is 0-0!!! And chances at the WS are at their highest!!! Even the "Blue Jays"!!!

Ben Staad
03-04-2015, 06:04 AM
I'm very optimistic that they can win another division. I'm curious about their pitching staff all the way around but with Price and Sanchez (if healthy) they should be okay. I am more excited to see how their offense looks. It seems like they have an extremly dangerous line-up but time will tell on that one. Sometimes new faces do not mix with the old. Either way it is Baseball season again!

Still Servant
03-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm very optimistic that they can win another division. I'm curious about their pitching staff all the way around but with Price and Sanchez (if healthy) they should be okay. I am more excited to see how their offense looks. It seems like they have an extremly dangerous line-up but time will tell on that one. Sometimes new faces do not mix with the old. Either way it is Baseball season again!

Agree. I think they will win the division. I think the Indians had a year where everything broke right. Bradley had a career year and Kluber pitched out of his mind. I'd be surprised if both of them duplicate their 2014 seasons.

When is Victor Martinez expected to be back?

Mattrick
03-12-2015, 11:53 AM
STROMAN :mad1:

Still Servant
03-12-2015, 04:47 PM
That one hurts. Saunders is unfortunate, but it doesn't kill you.

Stroman really hurts. I think this means Daniel Norris will have a clear shot of winning a rotation spot. He's polished and I think he's ready.

Iwritecode
03-13-2015, 05:35 AM
So did anyone else watch Will Ferrell play all 9 positions in Spring Training?

racerx45
03-13-2015, 07:34 AM

No, I had wanted to but work got in the way. Was it good?

Iwritecode
03-13-2015, 08:14 AM

There is video everywhere if you Google it, but it was about what you would expect from a middle-aged non-athlete. AFAIK, he didn't field anything in the infield. He managed to cleanly field a couple of hits in the outfield, although he was a little slow getting to one and basically turned a double into a triple.

He struck out in his 2 AB's but did manage 1 foul tip. He pitched 1/3 of an inning and the batter bunted the first pitch right back to him. He was a catcher for one batter and it was an intentional walk.

He came out of the dugout once for,in his words: "The worst curtain call in the history of baseball". It looks like everyone involved had a good time with it and it was for a good cause.

Mattrick
03-13-2015, 08:20 AM
That one hurts. Saunders is unfortunate, but it doesn't kill you.

Stroman really hurts. I think this means Daniel Norris will have a clear shot of winning a rotation spot. He's polished and I think he's ready.

Norris will probably be an early season call up. I can see him staying fresh in Duneeden or AA or AAA for a few weeks. Sanchez and Estrada will probably get into the rotation first, but they have a lot of decisions to still make...we don't even know who is closing yet. If there is any time for Ricky Romero to suddenly become a major league guy again, this is it haha

Still Servant
03-13-2015, 07:00 PM

There is video everywhere if you Google it, but it was about what you would expect from a middle-aged non-athlete. AFAIK, he didn't field anything in the infield. He managed to cleanly field a couple of hits in the outfield, although he was a little slow getting to one and basically turned a double into a triple.

He struck out in his 2 AB's but did manage 1 foul tip. He pitched 1/3 of an inning and the batter bunted the first pitch right back to him. He was a catcher for one batter and it was an intentional walk.

He came out of the dugout once for,in his words: "The worst curtain call in the history of baseball". It looks like everyone involved had a good time with it and it was for a good cause.

I haven't seen it yet, but I did hear that John Madden, yes John Madden, really tore into the whole thing. It was for a good cause, I'm not sure what his problem was, but I'm also wondering why anybody is asking John Madden about such things. The man has been off the grid for the most part, not sure who dug him up.

Merlin1958
03-13-2015, 07:15 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but I did hear that John Madden, yes John Madden, really tore into the whole thing. It was for a good cause, I'm not sure what his problem was, but I'm also wondering why anybody is asking John Madden about such things. The man has been off the grid for the most part, not sure who dug him up.

Most likely someone mentioned "Turduckin"!!! LOL That or "Drum stick"!! LOL

SystemCrashOverRide
03-14-2015, 06:33 AM
Okay (okay) Blue Jays (Blue Jays) Lets... Play... Ball!

Mattrick
03-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Estrada blew up in Spring Training on Thursday bad. Four home runs in one inning, I believe. Just try not to let him pitch at Skydome haha

Merlin1958
03-14-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm excited for opening day!!! Yanks are looking pretty good so far. Even A-Roid is contributing!!!

:YYY::YYY::YYY:

Mattrick
03-14-2015, 06:08 PM
I do like that even Yankee fans stand can't A-Rod (who is a rod) anymore. He's pissed me off for years.

Merlin1958
03-14-2015, 06:21 PM
I do like that even Yankee fans stand can't A-Rod (who is a rod) anymore. He's pissed me off for years.

Actually, there was a very good article in ESPN the mag this month that shed a little light into, A-Rod. Not that it excuses his actions, but it does give a little insight into the entire debacle. It is truly a shame that such talent went so far off the reservation. He's like the "Anti_Jeter"!!! LOL

Still Servant
03-15-2015, 06:19 AM

I don't hate A-Rod. I'm just indifferent at his point. I was a huge fan of his coming out of high school, my cousin drafted him in our fantasy league my very first year in the league. I started collecting all of his baseball cards and posting clippings on the walls of my room.

I still stand by my statement that A-Rod has been unfairly punished for this whole thing. He's been made out to be the poster boy for steroids when hundreds of other players also did steroids. Many of the names are still hidden from the public. What A-Rod did was wrong and he did it twice, but there's no reason he should serve double the suspension of any other player who did steroids.

CRinVA
03-18-2015, 04:54 AM
I too don't like A-Rod, but he did take his punishment and now let's see what he can or cannot accomplish!

Of course the Yankee blood in me wants him to do well as it supports the team!

Merlin1958
03-18-2015, 07:30 PM
I too don't like A-Rod, but he did take his punishment and now let's see what he can or cannot accomplish!

Of course the Yankee blood in me wants him to do well as it supports the team!

There is a great article in the most current ESPN the mag, I'm sure you can read online. Not that it excuses him, but it does offer some interesting insight.

Mattrick
03-18-2015, 07:45 PM
So after Saunders and Stroman...we lost Santiago who was probably going to be our utility infielder, and we also lost Pilar, TO A FUCKING SNEEZE...granted it's only for about ten days, but it shows the goddamn luck we have.

Merlin1958
03-18-2015, 07:49 PM
So after Saunders and Stroman...we lost Santiago who was probably going to be our utility infielder, and we also lost Pilar, TO A FUCKING SNEEZE...granted it's only for about ten days, but it shows the goddamn luck we have.

Sorry for the pain, Matts. I feel it, but did you ever notice how the "Blue Jays" always seem greatly afflicted by injury the last few years? Maybe they need to fire the medical staff. I hope your guys can find a way to recover. My "Yanks" are looking pretty good this spring, but you just never know when and if the injury bug will bite!!!

Iwritecode
03-19-2015, 05:12 AM
and we also lost Pilar, TO A FUCKING SNEEZE...granted it's only for about ten days, but it shows the goddamn luck we have.

He's not the first one. I remember Sammy Sosa went on the DL once for hurting his back while sneezing.

Mattrick
03-19-2015, 05:36 AM

Sorry for the pain, Matts. I feel it, but did you ever notice how the "Blue Jays" always seem greatly afflicted by injury the last few years? Maybe they need to fire the medical staff. I hope your guys can find a way to recover. My "Yanks" are looking pretty good this spring, but you just never know when and if the injury bug will bite!!!

I don't think our medical staff is that bad. Most of these injuries are totally freak...stepping on a sprinkler, routine bunt fielding practice, sneezing. Santiago broke his collar bone making a diving catch so that at least is more expected. I'm just hoping we're getting a good chunk of our injuries out of the way early haha.

SystemCrashOverRide
03-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Some of it is definitely related to the facilities, the Sky Dome's astro turf is hard on the players, and their Florida facility is... pretty run down. In other news, holy shit can Castro throw hard.

Mattrick
03-19-2015, 04:18 PM
I can't wait until the Argonauts contract is done and they will have to move to BMO Field and we can finally have grass at Roger's Centre.

Still Servant
03-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Can I get some opinions on Sanchez? I know he's had a few rough outings this spring, but I'm hoping it's just because he's working on his secondary pitches. I was hoping he would win the closer job (for my own personal fantasy reasons) but I'm sure they need him in the rotation since Stroman went down.

SystemCrashOverRide
03-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Can I get some opinions on Sanchez? I know he's had a few rough outings this spring, but I'm hoping it's just because he's working on his secondary pitches. I was hoping he would win the closer job (for my own personal fantasy reasons) but I'm sure they need him in the rotation since Stroman went down.

Seems like he's pretty well guaranteed to be in the starting rotation. It's been written about but I think Martin will be really beneficial for Sanchez, taking would-be fouls and sucking them back into the strike zone. Sanchez has a fair bit of movement on his pitches, which I like (dirty sanchez jokes abound) and I'm quite excited to see him work. Hopefully in Stroman's absence, we'll have some other young arms step up and have their break out season in 2015

Mattrick
03-20-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm not too worried about Sanchez, though I'd prefer him in the bullpen. I have no idea who will close out our rotation. Dickie, Buehrle, Hutchison, Sanchez...the fifth spot is very up in the air, more than it was before Stroman got injured. I felt pretty good about our staff with two veterans and three young guys with Martin to guide, but Stroman was goddamn key.

Still Servant
03-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys.

Any thoughts on Daniel Norris? How's he doing this spring? Any chance he could make the team? Also, any idea who is going to get the first crack at closing?

Also, Martin should work wonders with that staff. He did an excellent job with the Pirates and has been solid for every team he's played for.

Still Servant
04-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Hi, guys. I just wanted to mention to you Blue Jays fans that I had my fantasy baseball draft last weekend and picked up a few Blue Jays that I have high hopes for.

This is a dynasty league, by the way. I selected both of these players late in the draft (9th and 10th rounds). The first was Miguel Castro. I was impressed from what I heard from you guys here, as well as scouting reports. I was also surprised to see that he was going to make the team out of ST. The other guy is more of a high ceiling guy that I'm rolling the dice with. Jeff Hoffman. You may know he was the Blue Jays first pick in the draft last year. He's currently working his way back from TJ surgery, but he's a college guy with a big arm and I feel this could look like a steal a year from now.

FYI, Norris went in the first round.

Still Servant
04-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Brett Cecil is not a closer. I hope Castro gets a shot at some point and makes me look like a genius.

Mattrick
04-08-2015, 09:46 PM
I missed the game today. Shame Cecil couldn't close it. He could work, I just think he'll need some adjusting to the position. He does have some very nasty stuff that can work. Curious to see who is going to take that spot, in the end.

Still Servant
04-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Holy shit this is all happening way sooner than I expected.

http://m.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article/117279368/toronto-blue-jays-miguel-castro-to-get-chances-to-close-games

mtdman
04-15-2015, 09:06 PM
I am enjoying the start of the baseball season so far.

Ben Staad
04-16-2015, 04:13 AM
I am as well however I don't think they have had to dip into the pen much yet. Once that starts happening my feeling may change.

Still Servant
04-16-2015, 01:51 PM

Of course you do, the Tigers are off to a great start. :lol: They better close the door this year. They've been so close to winning the WS, but just can't put it all together when it counts. I'm afraid their window could be closing. The clock is ticking.

Let me ask you, is Soria still the closer when Nathan comes back or do they give it back to Nathan? Soria looks really good right now.

ke7285
04-16-2015, 05:44 PM

Yes I'm enjoying also! That's a good question I say Soria, he should of been last year, but ithe s. greene look's a little promising with scherzer gone and verlander on dl

Ben Staad
04-16-2015, 06:14 PM
I think the job is Nathans to lose. The Tigers had an oppurtunity to give up on him in spring training and they didn't.

Still Servant
04-16-2015, 06:31 PM

Yes I'm enjoying also! That's a good question I say Soria, he should of been last year, but ithe s. greene look's a little promising with scherzer gone and verlander on dl

I didn't like the Yankees trading Greene. He was their best pitcher the second half of last year.

Ben Staad
04-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Looks like Joe Nathan is done for the year...and with surgery maybe beyond. I never like to see a player hurt but this isn't all that bad for the Tigers. I don't think Joe had anything left in the tank.

Still Servant
04-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Looks like Joe Nathan is done for the year...and with surgery maybe beyond. I never like to see a player hurt but this isn't all that bad for the Tigers. I don't think Joe had anything left in the tank.

I never like to see a player get hurt, but this works out for me. I have Soria on my fantasy team. For what it's worth, I think Nathan's career is done.

Iwritecode
07-16-2015, 05:03 AM
Wow, I thought we had more baseball fans here. All-star festivities came and went and not a single post... :(

Ben Staad
07-16-2015, 09:01 AM
I don't typically watch all-star games. I did catch an inning or so of the game though. I will say I don't know how tying the results of this game is in anyway fair or right for the two WS competitors. I think that it's lame.

Iwritecode
07-16-2015, 11:30 AM
I watched most of the HR derby and then the softball game afterward. Both were pretty enjoyable. I think I (along with many others) like the new format of the HR derby.

I watched about 60% of the ASG itself. It had been already announced that Chris Sale wouldn't pitch so I didn't have any real vested interest in the game itself, but it's fun to see the best of the best play against each other. MLB has the best ASG of the 4 major sports IMO.

Tying home field advantage to the winner is a gimmick. Especially when the fans are allowed to vote for who plays. Do either/or.

Still Servant
07-16-2015, 05:33 PM
The Derby was pretty enjoyable this year. The ASG was good as well, but there just wasn't anything that interesting to talk about. I'm looking forward to seeing teams wheel and deal before the deadline.

Merlin1958
10-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Wow!! Mets are down 7-1 and DeGrom was pitching. They'll be down in games 2-0 now. i thought this series would be more like yesterday's game close all the way through and a real nail biter. I know we are only 2 games in, but it seems it's as I thought. KC really only has to play 6 innings with that bullpen of theirs. Hope it heats up a bit back in N.Y. I usually don't give a shit if the Yanks have been eliminated, but this year for some reason I have stayed tuned in because the games have been so close and exciting. Plus, as a former New Yorker, I'm sorta obligated to cheer for the sad sack, Mets.

They are "sad sack" from a N.Y. fan stand point, but this is their 5th time in the classic. Not too shabby compared to some other franchises. Unfortunately, they will always be No.2 in the metropolitan area because of the Yanks. I do have to admit that I have a few fond memories of the original "Amazing Mets" from 1969. Now that was a real "David & Goliath" situation. The Orioles had 4 twenty game winners, but the Mets had, Art Shamsky LOL, Tom Seaver, Tug McGraw and Cleon "Fucking" Jones!!! LOL LOL What a crew!!! of course there was also, Clendennon, Harrelson, Koosman, to name a few more.

Still Servant
10-29-2015, 08:37 AM
The Mets are getting a rude awakening that this isn't the National League, where most teams outside of the Central were pretty terrible.

CRinVA
11-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Hosmer gets a double inteh 9th to get KC on the board, gets to third on a Moustakas sacrifice I think. Then brilliant base running as he takes on on a wild Dud throw at the plate. If Duda had been accurate (man its only First to home) the game would have ended and the series shifted back to KC.

But no - and I think Hosmer's 9th inning contribution gave KC the series.

Congratulations Kansas City Royals!

Ben Staad
11-02-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm an AL guy so congrats to The Royals!

Merlin1958
11-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Congrats to the Kansas City Royals!!!

Iwritecode
01-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Best article I've ever read on the argument that both leagues should have a DH.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/162413778/universal-dh-in-the-nl-mlb-needs-to-adopt?partnerId=ed-9992634-658620023

Merlin1958
01-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Best article I've ever read on the argument that both leagues should have a DH.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/162413778/universal-dh-in-the-nl-mlb-needs-to-adopt?partnerId=ed-9992634-658620023

Great article!!!

Mattrick
02-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Jays signed Meicer Izturis to a minor league deal to replace the loveable Munenori Kawasaki...of course this means the series is ours.

Bye Munie!
http://www.sportsnet.ca/shows/tim-and-sid-show/ts-the-bush-party-is-over-a-kawasaki-tribute/

Iwritecode
04-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Not too many baseball fans around here anymore. Spring training and Opening Day both came and went without a peep.

Lurker
04-06-2016, 03:34 PM
I watched the Astros opening day - but only because it was ESPN. I guess Dish has never come to terms with Comcrap so the Fox sport network I get is Dallas. And that sucks - live in the Houston area and can't watch the Astros. And nobody down here except maybe transplants care about Dallas.

And of course the only team that matters won opening day, but that wasn't on TV either.

Ben Staad
04-06-2016, 03:58 PM
I was excited to see that my Tigers new save guy blow his first save opportunity last night...The funny thing is that the Tigers ended up winning in 11 and used their 5th starter (not anyone from their pen) to close out the game. Their new GM said last off-season that his main goal was to rebuild their pen. HaHaHaHa

They should have a decent year but "Yikes!" they have a ton of holes.

mtdman
04-06-2016, 07:00 PM
I was excited to see that my Tigers new save guy blow his first save opportunity last night...The funny thing is that the Tigers ended up winning in 11 and used their 5th starter (not anyone from their pen) to close out the game. Their new GM said last off-season that his main goal was to rebuild their pen. HaHaHaHa

It didn't get much better today when it came to the bullpen. Still picked up the win because the team managed to score a ton, but the bp has not improved at all. Or so it seems so far. That has been a glaring hole for several years now and I'm tired of it.

Still, they're 2-0. Opening day in Detroit on Friday.

Ben Staad
04-07-2016, 05:10 AM
2-0 isn't shabby. I think K-Rod should be an upgrade (practically anyone would be an upgrade) but he isn't a long term solution for that role. They have some nice young arms but I am tired of the poor pen. The other side of things is that their starters are not what they once were. They need a solid BP to get it done. It's also pretty cool the V-Mart has had back to back games with PH homeruns. Go Tigers!

It didn't get much better today when it came to the bullpen. Still picked up the win because the team managed to score a ton, but the bp has not improved at all. Or so it seems so far. That has been a glaring hole for several years now and I'm tired of it.

Still, they're 2-0. Opening day in Detroit on Friday.

Merlin1958
10-03-2016, 08:47 PM
http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/article/204797372/bud-selig-on-todays-game-era-hof-ballot/

So, in your mind who gets in and who doesn't and your reasons, if you wish.

My vote would go for "The Boss", Selig and reluctantly, Mr.McGwire. The rest of the players don't cut it in my mind. Now as for McGwire, I know he is sort of a poster boy along with Bonds for the steriod era, but that era and designation has tragically forced me to re-evaluate the "steriod" users into two categories. The first would be, Bonds who though talented before steriods went from being "Pookie" in New Jack City to "The Rock". He never would have broke the HR record without the drugs. Then you have the "McGwire" users who, in my mind, predominantly used the PED's due to injuries or maybe more accurately injury recovery. I find myself wavering on the "Injury recovery" users. Clemens, Pettite and Arod probably fall into that category as well. JMHO of course.

Ben Staad
10-04-2016, 05:06 AM
I'm in a rush this morning but I'm not sure I would vote for any of the players other than Orel. The steroid thing bothers me and while I loved Will Clark I don't know if his numbers warrant HOF. Baines and Belle just don't have the numbers in my opinion. Belle was a monster for a relatively short time and Baines had a very nice career but personally don't think HOF caliber.

See you. Work is calling!

Still Servant
10-04-2016, 05:16 PM
I'm in a rush this morning but I'm not sure I would vote for any of the players other than Orel. The steroid thing bothers me and while I loved Will Clark I don't know if his numbers warrant HOF. Baines and Belle just don't have the numbers in my opinion. Belle was a monster for a relatively short time and Baines had a very nice career but personally don't think HOF caliber.

I agree with you about the players. Belle was a stud, but it was for a relatively short time period. Baines had a good career, but his numbers end up being compilation numbers because he played so long.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 05:19 PM

I agree with you about the players. Belle was a stud, but it was for a relatively short time period. Baines had a good career, but his numbers end up being compilation numbers because he played so long.

My thoughts exactly. Seems like they are getting a little lax at the HOF if they let them in. However, you both conveniently skirted the controversial choices I made!! lol

Ben Staad
10-04-2016, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=Ben Staad;1025003]I'm in a rush this morning but I'm not sure I would vote for any of the players other than Orel. The steroid thing bothers me and while I loved Will Clark I don't know if his numbers warrant HOF. Baines and Belle just don't have the numbers in my opinion. Belle was a monster for a relatively short time and Baines had a very nice career but personally don't think HOF caliber.

I'm not sure how I feel about Bud being "enshrined" but The Boss with his commitment to winning and the record to back it up should be a slam dunk.

My thoughts exactly. Seems like they are getting a little lax at the HOF if they let them in. However, you both conveniently skirted the controversial choices I made!! lol

Still Servant
10-04-2016, 06:31 PM
That's a personal preference. Some people are cool with the whole steroid thing, some aren't. I'm indifferent. I'm also realist and nobody that was caught up in the steroid stuff will be getting in the HoF anytime soon. More time needs to pass I think.

The main issue is that as soon as you let one in, you will have to let them all in. The HoF doesn't want to deal with the backlash at this point.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 07:00 PM
That's a personal preference. Some people are cool with the whole steroid thing, some aren't. I'm indifferent. I'm also realist and nobody that was caught up in the steroid stuff will be getting in the HoF anytime soon. More time needs to pass I think.

The main issue is that as soon as you let one in, you will have to let them all in. The HoF doesn't want to deal with the backlash at this point.

Very good point. Like I said I have developed a two category judgement on my part. With what medicine can do now a days its hard to ignore it in some cases. Hell. they gave me steriods to get me out of my coma last year. Where do you draw the line? If it helps you recover from injury, so be it. If it is straight "PED" that's another thing altogether in my book, but who can really say, right?

Still Servant
10-04-2016, 07:22 PM
The unfortunate thing is that all the guys being mentioned for the HoF that took steroids were first ballot Hall of Famers BEFORE they took steroids.

It's not like anybody is crying for Randy Velarde to make the Hall.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 07:27 PM
The unfortunate thing is that all the guys being mentioned for the HoF that took steroids were first ballot Hall of Famers BEFORE they took steroids.

It's not like anybody is crying for Randy Velarde to make the Hall.

It is kinda sad with the exception in my mi9nd of, Bonds. Clemens and a lot of others took them to recover from injuries it would seem. Bonds, just wanted to get ahead. Hard to judge them all though I suppose. Tough call in their shoes.

Mattrick
10-04-2016, 10:58 PM
BLUE JAYS VS TEXAS!!!! YES!! LET'S TAKE DOWN EGREGIOUS ODOR!!!

Ben Staad
10-05-2016, 04:53 AM
In regards to steroid usage it is now illegal in baseball and was an illegal drug in this country. The players using it to combat/accelerate a return from injury had advantages in recovery from those that did the right thing. The ones who used steroids (Bonds, Sosa, Pudge, Arod, and others) to transform their bodies obviously gained a massive advantage when coupled with their already impressive skills.

I'm not willing to endorse people for historical enshrinement who knowingly cheated. To me it is a real shame that people, already with immense talent, make a direct decision to cheat this way. It's kind of like the power hitters that get caught with a corked bat or the pitcher with nasty stuff sticking (an unknown) substance on the ball. Why would they do that?

Still Servant
10-05-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm not willing to endorse people for historical enshrinement who knowingly cheated. To me it is a real shame that people, already with immense talent, make a direct decision to cheat this way. It's kind of like the power hitters that get caught with a corked bat or the pitcher with nasty stuff sticking (an unknown) substance on the ball. Why would they do that?

I agree, it doesn't make sense. Then again, in a way I can see why it happened. Let's say you are an elite player. You're at the top of your game putting up huge numbers every year. Then you see your equal, a guy is also putting up huge numbers start to take steroids and now he's putting up even bigger numbers. What do you do? Well, in this case, we know the answer. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. The Bash Brothers were doing it, so Bonds had to and Sosa and the list goes on. If you wanted to be put among the best, you had to do steroids.

It's sucks, but that's what happened.

Merlin1958
10-05-2016, 03:58 PM
IDK, when it comes to helping you heal I find it's a little more confusing. I mean, yeah it's illegal but Kobe can go to Europe and have his blood infused. I mean if medicine can do what you need and bureacracy is the culprit. What then? Bonds and Sosa made themselves into a different player. Clemens and Pettite just wanted to heal faster. It's not as straightforward an argument as I originally thought is all I'm saying

Ben Staad
10-05-2016, 05:39 PM
It really is a tough topic because everyone has their own opinion of right and wrong. Who is to say how much cocaine helped out Strawberry or Doc Gooden in their prime. But I will say steroids were banned by the MLB in 1991. They knew they were either blatantly breaking the rules or skirting them by using similar products.

Still Servant
10-05-2016, 06:22 PM
It really is a tough topic because everyone has their own opinion of right and wrong. Who is to say how much cocaine helped out Strawberry or Doc Gooden in their prime. But I will say steroids were banned by the MLB in 1991. They knew they were either blatantly breaking the rules or skirting them by using similar products.

It really is a tricky topic. Old school players used to take greenies. The players said there used to be bowls in every locker room. Some players even have stated they wouldn't be able to get through a game without it. Who knows how those amphetamines helped the players back then.

Here's an interesting article in case you're looking for something to read: http://manginphotography.net/2009/12/baseball-without-greenies-not-as-much-fun/

Merlin1958
11-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs and their fans!!!!!!

Mattrick
11-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Next year is our time.

No more Billy Goat.

Still Servant
11-03-2016, 03:31 PM

Thank god. Now they can shut the fuck up about sucking for over a 100 years.

Ben Staad
11-03-2016, 05:50 PM
It was a fun series and last nights game was awesome. Congrats to the Cubs but was hoping that the Tribe would pull it out.

ladysai
11-03-2016, 06:07 PM

Pfffft! :P

My daddy is a lifelong Cubs fan, and Im tickled that he was able to see the Cubs finally win it all.
He'll be 89 on Monday. :)

Merlin1958
11-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Just an observation. I am very happy for the Cubs and their fans, now they can STFU, but did anyone else notice how poorly managed the entire series was on both sides? Seemed at times like nobody wanted it!!! lol

Iwritecode
11-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Just an observation. I am very happy for the Cubs and their fans, now they can STFU, but did anyone else notice how poorly managed the entire series was on both sides? Seemed at times like nobody wanted it!!! lol

I'm in a discussion now with someone that insists that this series was one of the most compelling WS ever and that game 7 was one of the best WS games ever. Most people are disagreeing with him but it's on a White Sox message board. We might be a little biased towards the Cubs.

I'd argue that game 7 of the 2001 World Series was a much better game overall with a literal storybook ending. (Sorry Bill...)

What about others here? Was this WS really all that compelling because it featured 2 teams that have been bad for a really long time? Or was it just another WS that you didn't really pay attention to because your favorite team wasn't playing in it?

Merlin1958
11-04-2016, 10:42 AM

I'm in a discussion now with someone that insists that this series was one of the most compelling WS ever and that game 7 was one of the best WS games ever. Most people are disagreeing with him but it's on a White Sox message board. We might be a little biased towards the Cubs.

I'd argue that game 7 of the 2001 World Series was a much better game overall with a literal storybook ending. (Sorry Bill...)

What about others here? Was this WS really all that compelling because it featured 2 teams that have been bad for a really long time? Or was it just another WS that you didn't really pay attention to because your favorite team wasn't playing in it?

I'm not trying take anything away from the players and the way they played the game. It was tremendous. However, both mangers seemed to be out to lunch with the moves they made. I'd expect that from, Francona IMO he doesn't manage the post season well, but Maddon befuddled me!!! He put the headcase, Lester in EXACTLY when he said he wouldn't and abused, Chapman for starters. Francona should have learned from, Pedro about riding a pitcher too much. IMO, kluber on 3 days rest (he started 3 games in 9 days) was just stupid. he also rode Miller like a bitch!!! LOL

Still Servant
11-04-2016, 02:08 PM

My daddy is a lifelong Cubs fan, and Im tickled that he was able to see the Cubs finally win it all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for a whole generation of Cubs fans who are in their 80's that have never seen their team win. Nonetheless, I'm tired of them whining about it.

I thought Maddon was really fortunate to win that series. The first move that didn't make sense was bringing in Chapman in game 6 when they were up by like 7 runs. Second, taking Hendricks out after just 60 pitches in game 7 didn't make sense. He was cruising and the Indians weren't really squaring him up. It meant he had to bring Lester in in the middle of the inning, which I always hate for a starter.

Merlin1958
11-04-2016, 04:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for a whole generation of Cubs fans who are in their 80's that have never seen their team win. Nonetheless, I'm tired of them whining about it.

I thought Maddon was really fortunate to win that series. The first move that didn't make sense was bringing in Chapman in game 6 when they were up by like 7 runs. Second, taking Hendricks out after just 60 pitches in game 7 didn't make sense. He was cruising and the Indians weren't really squaring him up. It meant he had to bring Lester in in the middle of the inning, which I always hate for a starter.

Yeah, I forgot to list this. Monumentally dumb to bring in, Chapman in game 6 with a 5 run lead!!!! He had arms in the pen!!

Ben Staad
11-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Well I still think Maddon is an amazing coach. He managed to raise TB up and although with different circumstances (and money) did it in Chicago as well. Not many coaches can do what he does.

Merlin1958
11-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Well I still think Maddon is an amazing coach. He managed to raise TB up and although with different circumstances (and money) did it in Chicago as well. Not many coaches can do what he does.

If I came off wrong in my posts then my apologies. I guess my real surprise is that both managers have rather good reputations and I was surprised that so many obvious (I suppose a few in hindsight, which is always 20/20) mistakes were made. Then again, I do suppose that the fact that both franchises were dealing with extraordinary pressure given their respective championship droughts may have had quite a bit of undue influence on each of them. Especially, Maddon!!!

Still Servant
11-14-2016, 07:07 PM

I agree, but we can't give Maddon too much credit. He took over a team with a budding crop of young prospects that were about to make an impact. He also had Arrieta who was coming off of a 2014 season where he showed signs of his 2015 Cy Young breakout. Maddon certainly added a level of polish, professionalism and much needed laid back vibe.

For me, Theo Epstein deserves more praise. The man brought a championship to Boston after 86 and then does the same for the Cubs.

Ben Staad
11-15-2016, 10:31 AM
You are right. However I lived in the Tampa Bay/St.Petersburg area and saw how he grew a team. The Rays were stocked with young talent when he got there as well but he did wonders with coaching them up. I think he has that uncanny ability to lift players up and help them reach their potential or beyond.

Still Servant
11-15-2016, 05:54 PM
You are right. However I lived in the Tampa Bay/St.Petersburg area and saw how he grew a team. The Rays were stocked with young talent when he got there as well but he did wonders with coaching them up. I think he has that uncanny ability to lift players up and help them reach their potential or beyond.

He does, that's for sure. He has a knack for relating to young players and getting the most out of them.

Merlin1958
11-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Jorge Posada, HOF?

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/article/209228458/jorge-posada-debuts-on-hall-of-fame-ballot/

Ben Staad
11-22-2016, 08:55 AM
They can give him A Rods! LOL LOL

Still Servant
11-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Posada is an interesting case. His numbers eclipse most catchers in the HoF. Mix in the fact that he won a bunch of rings, and you can make a good case.

The way I evaluate HoF cases is that when somebody asks me if a player is a Hall of Famer and I don't immediately answer "yes", then he's not a Hall of Famer.

Posada isn't an instant "yes", so I'm inclined to say he's not in.

Merlin1958
01-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Pitchers & Catchers report in about a month!!!!!!!!

Still Servant
01-18-2017, 06:50 PM
How Vlad doesn't get into the HoF on the first try maddens me.

Merlin1958
01-18-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm "Okay" with this years selections, but for, Bagwell. Still on the fence there. Next two years should have two first timers, Mariano and Jeter. If not, that will be a travesty indeed.

Still Servant
01-21-2017, 09:07 AM
I'm "Okay" with this years selections, but for, Bagwell. Still on the fence there. Next two years should have two first timers, Mariano and Jeter. If not, that will be a travesty indeed.

Jeff Bagwell went to my high school here in CT, but it doesn't blind me to the fact that the dude took PEDs. Anybody can see that. The same goes for "Pudge". I put quotes around that nickname because he got it because he was kind of flabby for most of his career. That is until the end when he turned into a brick shit house.

As for Raines, he helped the Yankees win a couple WS, but I'm on the fence about him for the HoF. He was a very good player, but he never dominated like Ricky did.

Either way, Vlad had a better career than all of them and he was clean.

Mattrick
01-26-2017, 11:34 AM
I'm all for Raines. He was one of my favourites growing up. I even bought the Tim Raines glove and used it for years.

Merlin1958
02-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Pitchers and catchers report next week!!!!! March Madness just around the corner along with the corned beef sandwich's!!! Great time of the year!!!

Iwritecode
07-10-2017, 10:01 AM
This is good.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/884218263080767490

Merlin1958
07-11-2017, 05:41 PM
This is good.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/884218263080767490

:wtf::wtf::wtf: That was pretty good, but so is this.......................

Aaron Judge
2017 Home Run Derby Champion!!!!!

:ny-yankees-baseball:ny-yankees-baseball:ny-yankees-baseball

Ben Staad
11-02-2017, 04:49 AM
Congrats to the Houston Astros on their first ever WS win! What a great playoff season and entertaining World Series.

Still Servant
11-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Congrats! It's about time.

Great World Series, but an anticlimactic game 7.

Ben Staad
04-16-2018, 05:35 AM
I think the Tigers have forgotten that these games count. Phew. They are stinking it up.

On a side note B. Colon at age 44 (nearing 45) still can throw some junk. Perfect game going into 8th last night. Ended with a no decision for the game however "WOW" for a dude his age to still be competing in the Bigs.

Joe315
04-16-2018, 12:02 PM
He’s performance shows you don’t need power to dominate. Just hit your spot along with wicked movement and your good.

Mattrick
04-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Bhurle (sure I spelled that wrong lol) was the same way. He never really relied on velocity, but his pitch location and execution was one point and he continued to be effective for the Jays in his final years.

I'm sad the rain killed that series The Jays had with Cleveland, especially after we had that massive comeback win with 8 unanswered runs. I hope the players sitting on their hands for two days doesn't dampen the spark. Least we get get rained out at home!

Still Servant
04-16-2018, 05:22 PM
This thread should be titled "All Things Baseball (except the New York Yankees)"

Merlin already has dominion over that thread.

Iwritecode
04-17-2018, 05:12 AM
Bhurle (sure I spelled that wrong lol) was the same way. He never really relied on velocity, but his pitch location and execution was one point and he continued to be effective for the Jays in his final years.

I'm sad the rain killed that series The Jays had with Cleveland, especially after we had that massive comeback win with 8 unanswered runs. I hope the players sitting on their hands for two days doesn't dampen the spark. Least we get get rained out at home!

Buehrle. :smile:

Ben Staad
04-17-2018, 06:07 AM

Buehrle. :smile:

There are decent examples of pitchers dominating with location. Towards the end of his career Greg Maddux continued to give quality starts without the aid of any true heat. Just a good control of velocity and location.

Mattrick
04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
This thread should be titled "All Things Baseball (except the New York Yankees)"

Indeed

Merlin1958
04-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Indeed

How mature of you two...................................:dick:

Mattrick
04-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Nothing immature about it. The evil empire has its own thread. This is for the rest of the league.

Still Servant
04-18-2018, 05:21 PM

Indeed

How mature of you two...................................:dick:

How are you even seeing my posts? I thought I freed myself of you.

Anyway, unlike you, I'm a fan of baseball, not just the Yankees.

As a Christmas present, I got a set of 4 glasses. Each one lists certain statistics and one reminded me of my favorite record. Runs Batted In. People talk about records that will never be broken and I firmly believe Hack Wilson's 191 will never be touched.

Mattrick
04-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Was a good game today. We'll take the next three though ;)

Ben Staad
04-20-2018, 04:45 AM
For someone who doesn't much like the internet, doesn't access it via a phone or tablet, and likes straight forward websites is there a site which provides easy to access box scores? It seems there is an awful lot of crap to get through anymore just to check out a box score these days.

Iwritecode
04-20-2018, 05:02 AM
For someone who doesn't much like the internet, doesn't access it via a phone or tablet, and likes straight forward websites is there a site which provides easy to access box scores? It seems there is an awful lot of crap to get through anymore just to check out a box score these days.

https://www.mlb.com/scores

You have to click on each box indiviually but they are all there. You can even scroll through the previous dates at the top.

Ben Staad
04-20-2018, 05:12 AM
Thank you very much. Years ago I did this on ESPN but they became frustrating to me, then moved to CBS, and then Yahoo. They all became a little frustrating for a weirdo like me. :confused1:

https://www.mlb.com/scores

You have to click on each box indiviually but they are all there. You can even scroll through the previous dates at the top.

webstar1000
04-20-2018, 05:24 AM
I toured the new Battery and Braves stadium last weekend. OH. MY. GOODNESS. I cannot express how amazing the experience was. Did a behind the scenes tour that blew us away. What a place to visit!!!

Merlin1958
04-22-2018, 11:58 AM
The Review Process

Bit of a rant here, but I just do not get the process MLB has established. They want to speed up the game, yet whenever a challenge is issued not only do the officials have to run to the sidelines, adorn themselves with the headsets and then, seemingly have to wait an inordinate amount of time for the booth in N.Y. to review the play. Case in point, they blew a call in todays Yanks/Blue Jays game in the 8th. Nevermind that the review showed to millions of fans that the guy was safe, but it took over three minutes according to my clock to make the call. Then the officials have to run back onto the diamond and restart the game. For the record, the call did not really impact the outcome of the game, which is maybe a point as well.

Apparently, the game officials have little or no input on the call/review, yet they have to don headsets and mike's. Why not "Blue tooth" the officials right on the diamond and speed up the guys drinking coffee in the booth in N.Y.? I've seen reviews take up to 5 mins and more of game time. Clearly something is broken in this process if you're trying to speed up the game, no?

IDK, I mean they are limiting mound visits and will eventually install the pitch clock, yet there is no more boring time in a game than a review. Of course, that's just this man's opinion.

Mattrick
04-22-2018, 04:27 PM
Bluetooth is a vulnerable technology. I am sure they use a closed line.

Joe315
04-22-2018, 08:44 PM
I think the umps use the headsets to hear the explanation from NY. The process should probably be quicker but at least they have a system to get the calls right. Cubs had a game ending review today. Without it the game could easily have gone the other way.

Ben Staad
04-23-2018, 08:55 AM
In regards to reviews...I think they should not even utilize this in the game. The review process is boring and leads to other problems within the game. I would prefer the call on the field stand. If the official in the game is shown to be derelict in their duties then they should be demoted or terminated.

Joe315
04-23-2018, 12:01 PM
In regards to reviews...I think they should not even utilize this in the game. The review process is boring and leads to other problems within the game. I would prefer the call on the field stand. If the official in the game is shown to be derelict in their duties then they should be demoted or terminated.

Most reviewed calls are bang bang plays. It would be hard to say an ump is derelict in these situations. Again, better to get the call right then change the outcome of a game with a bad one.

Mattrick
04-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I'm fine with reviews. It's stuff like the managers stalling for time... Hey, I might review this, hold up....hold up....hold up.... nah

Joe315
04-24-2018, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I'm fine with reviews. It's stuff like the managers stalling for time... Hey, I might review this, hold up....hold up....hold up.... nah

I feel like they have 30 seconds to make a descision on reviewing but I could be wrong.

Merlin1958
04-24-2018, 06:51 PM
I think the umps use the headsets to hear the explanation from NY. The process should probably be quicker but at least they have a system to get the calls right. Cubs had a game ending review today. Without it the game could easily have gone the other way.

Most reviewed calls are bang bang plays. It would be hard to say an ump is derelict in these situations. Again, better to get the call right then change the outcome of a game with a bad one.

I feel like they have 30 seconds to make a descision on reviewing but I could be wrong.

As I said in my initial post, it didn't affect the game's outcome, but they ultimately blew the call. Anyway, I'm of a mind that as long as they have instituted the replay review/challenge I really don't see why they even have to involve the field officials. They don't ever seem to contribute to the call and can't really see the replay. Same holds for football. They should just hire a "Video Official" lets say and just go from there. Seems to me that in both sports it would cut a lot of time off the process. I mean as the announcers constantly spew the evidence has to be irrefutable anyway, right/ Thoughts?

BTW, for the record, I'm not passing judgement either way as to whether the "Challenge" should be allowed in either sport. I mean it is available so I'm just suggesting ways that it could be expedited.

Ben Staad
04-24-2018, 07:27 PM
In regards to reviews do you think there is any plausibility that the league(s) do not want to speed them up? Regardless of an emphasis on length of game this allows for additional ad times.

Joe315
04-24-2018, 07:36 PM

As I said in my initial post, it didn't affect the game's outcome, but they ultimately blew the call. Anyway, I'm of a mind that as long as they have instituted the replay review/challenge I really don't see why they even have to involve the field officials. They don't ever seem to contribute to the call and can't really see the replay. Same holds for football. They should just hire a "Video Official" lets say and just go from there. Seems to me that in both sports it would cut a lot of time off the process. I mean as the announcers constantly spew the evidence has to be irrefutable anyway, right/ Thoughts?

BTW, for the record, I'm not passing judgement either way as to whether the "Challenge" should be allowed in either sport. I mean it is available so I'm just suggesting ways that it could be expedited.

The field umps don’t have any input as far as I know. They just hear what ever NY has to say. There should be a time limit though. If it’s not clear within say 60 seconds it’s not ever going to be, so the call should stand.

Joe315
04-24-2018, 07:41 PM
In regards to reviews do you think there is any plausibility that the league(s) do not want to speed them up? Regardless of an emphasis on length of game this allows for additional ad times.

Possibly. Anyway to make more money. But the speed of the game ultimately comes down to the players. How long they take between pitches, how long a batters pre pitch routine takes, etc. There’s a pitcher for the Dodgers who took a minute between pitches. He’d stomp around the mound then contemplate life, then choose a pitch, and then throw.

Ben Staad
04-25-2018, 05:36 AM
The Tigers had a closer who would adjust his socks, lick his fingers, adjust socks again, adjust other things, ask for another ball, lick fingers again, ask to cycle call again,........It was painful to watch. It was hard to watch when he was pitching well but downright torture once he started sucking it up. That was the Big Potato (Jose Valverde).

Possibly. Anyway to make more money. But the speed of the game ultimately comes down to the players. How long they take between pitches, how long a batters pre pitch routine takes, etc. There’s a pitcher for the Dodgers who took a minute between pitches. He’d stomp around the mound then contemplate life, then choose a pitch, and then throw.

Ben Staad
04-25-2018, 05:38 AM
Anyone remember Matt Garza? I don't think he was slow between pitches but man that guy would spit and spit. Not tobacco spit just big and nasty looking phlegm like spits. Non-stop and hard to watch even for a manly man like me.

Still Servant
04-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Anyone remember Matt Garza? I don't think he was slow between pitches but man that guy would spit and spit. Not tobacco spit just big and nasty looking phlegm like spits. Non-stop and hard to watch even for a manly man like me.

Josh Beckett was like watching a glacier as well.

Mattrick
04-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Been two tough games too lose, but I had a great time at the game on Wednesday. Got quite a bit drunk. 4 huge Toronto sports games that night... Only the Raptors

Merlin1958
06-30-2018, 07:59 AM
I'm just gonna say it................................................ ......the wild card should be a three game series, not one!!!!

As it stands its kinda silly when taking all things into consideration, IMHO

CRinVA
07-13-2018, 09:31 AM
S0 this is way way cool. I have tickets to the MLB Home Run Derby at Nationals Park on Monday the 16th! Going with my son and two son-in-laws!

With no Yankees in the picture I'll be rooting for the home town hero Bryce Harper!

https://i0.wp.com/slackiebrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Feature-Image-Template-81.png?fit=560%2C315&ssl=1

Joe315
07-13-2018, 11:36 AM
S0 this is way way cool. I have tickets to the MLB Home Run Derby at Nationals Park on Monday the 16th! Going with my son and two son-in-laws!

With no Yankees in the picture I'll be rooting for the home town hero Bryce Harper!

https://i0.wp.com/slackiebrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Feature-Image-Template-81.png?fit=560%2C315&ssl=1

I went to the one at the old Yankee stadium in 2008. Lot of fun. Got to see Hamilton put on a show.

Still Servant
07-15-2018, 04:39 AM
Some good players here, but not a ton of star power. I'm a little worried the Home Run Derby will turn into the Slam Dunk contest if MLB isn't careful.

Lurker
08-06-2018, 01:28 PM
I love my mailman!

https://image.ibb.co/iaoVmK/P1000917.jpg

We have known each other since high school and obviously root for the same team.
I just wonder what would happen if he ever took a day off and his sub got one of my notes to him...

Rjeso
09-01-2019, 02:37 AM
Not to be a total necromancer or anything, but... THE TWINS BROKE THE HOME RUN RECORD :dance: :excited: :clap:

and also like four other records in the past 48 hours, but that's the important one.

Still Servant
09-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Not to be a total necromancer or anything, but... THE TWINS BROKE THE HOME RUN RECORD :dance: :excited: :clap:

and also like four other records in the past 48 hours, but that's the important one.

It's a great accomplishment, but I have to think if half the Yankees roster didn't spend a majority of the year on the IL they would be right there with them.

Rjeso
09-05-2019, 07:45 PM
You guys did get hit hard with injuries this year, oof.

.... But I'm still celebrating the fact that the Twins are the ones :p

CRinVA
09-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Twin have 275 HRs
NYY Have 268 HRs

Closing the gap quickly!

Still Servant
09-09-2019, 03:33 PM
Twin have 275 HRs
NYY Have 268 HRs

Closing the gap quickly!

Impressive considering how many of their regulars have been hurt. Stanton has exactly 1 home run this year...

Rjeso
09-09-2019, 03:59 PM
I can't hear you laalalalalalaaa

Rjeso
09-30-2019, 03:52 PM
Yankees really gave us a run for our money, but...

🎉⚾The Minnesota Twins are the new home run champions! ⚾🎉

(I can't believe I just said that! :excited: )

Still Servant
09-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Yankees really gave us a run for our money, but...

🎉⚾The Minnesota Twins are the new home run champions! ⚾🎉

(I can't believe I just said that! :excited: )

If it wasn't for the injuries, they may have hit 400.

Rjeso
09-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Which team? lol

Both went through some tough times, injury-wise. I'm so curious how many we'd each have if our teams had stayed healthy throughout. Probably looking at at least 340s.

Still Servant
10-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Which team? lol

Both went through some tough times, injury-wise. I'm so curious how many we'd each have if our teams had stayed healthy throughout. Probably looking at at least 340s.

You can't possibly be saying the Twins had the same rash of injuries as the Yankees. Stanton played in 18 games, Hicks played in 59 games, Judge missed a junk of time, Sanchez had 3 stints on the IL, Andujar played in 12 games. I've never seen a team get hit like they did. What the Twins did was impressive, but I have to think the Yankees would have won that if they had their normal lineup most of the year.

Twins had injuries, but please don't say Buxton either. He's a scrub that is always hurt.

Side note: Rocco Baldelli is my 4th cousin on my dad's side. I've never met him, but when my grandfather was alive, he told me Rocco's family used to come down from Rhode Island to CT to visit. Also, my dad's name is actually Rocco Baldelli as well, so we get a lot of people asking.

Merlin1958
01-16-2020, 12:09 PM
I originally posted the following in the "Random Thoughts........." thread to no response. This entire scandal has got my blood boiling not only because the cheating directly affected my beloved, Yankees but more importantly the way its being handled. And now with the firing of, Beltran from the Mets (whom I believe was actually a player in 2017) enraged me even more. It certainly seems to me that MLB and the owners have gotten together and decided the best way to handle this scandal is to scapegoat the management involved in the cheating and totally skirt the player's and perhaps more importantly the Players Union with the new CBA on the horizon. What bothers me most is that all facets of MLB seem to be collectively steering the conversation in this direction that the Management is solely responsible and the players get off scot-free because "It would be too difficult to investigate and identify the players who perpetrated the cheating". What? they're a "TEAM", they should face the music as a "TEAM" case closed. If they didn't participate in the actual cheating, they were complicit in it by not going public. End of story.

I mean on one hand the Commissioner talks about protecting the game and the integrity of it and then tacitly condones the actions of the players by placing the blame solely on Management. While I agree management should accept the consequences and punishment handed down so should the players bear their responsibility and suffer some consequences otherwise what kind of a message is MLB sending to our children? The bottom line is that MLB is afraid of the Union and could give a rat's ass about the games integrity. Take away all playoff shares (donate those funds to charity, take back their rings and vacate the title and all the associated awards.

Well, the Seagulls are out, so really, season over. Thank goodness. I've seen more football in the past few months than since HS - which brings me to baseball. Why can't the catcher have audio equipment built into the mask and the pitcher one of those things you stick in the ear. No need for signs. If football can do it, seems like baseball could figure it out. Yeah, sensitive enough the batter can't hear.

Because in weird ways baseball is stuck in traditions that are 100+ years old. Of course the players have adapted to a new pay scheme that sees them making millions each, but they still are resistant to change old things like using signs (catcher to pitcher, Manager to batter, base coaches from manager to runner etc.).

Well, some of the things you mention are just part of the game. However, in response to "Lurker's" question, I saw on "MLB Tonight" where they said that MLB has already tried the ear piece/transmitter thingy and the players found it too distracting and they said it impacted their game. Not my position on the subject just relaying what I heard from the so called, Pro's. I guess the Tech hasn't made it far enough for baseball yet. LOL

Speaking of this signs crap, how about the commissioners edict? He punishes management, but lets the players go scot-free? WTF is that? What kind of message are you sending to the fans especially the kids? Cheat and get caught and its okay if enough of you do it. They keep the championship, the money and the rings? That's a load of crap!!! They should have to answer for their actions as well. Put an asterisk in the books for that championship. Take back the playoff cash and rings!! Give the money to a worthy charity. What MLB did is half assed bullshit!!!!

Edit: "Protect the integrity of the game". What integrity? The Commissioner just sold it to the Astro's and eventually, Red Sox players that cheated to win. He also just said its okay to do it even if you do get caught. As long as there is a Union and its too much work to figure out who the Perps were.

Garrell
01-19-2020, 07:14 AM
I am done with MLB, unless they strip the World Series champs that cheated. Is the only fair thing.

Merlin1958
01-19-2020, 08:54 AM
I am done with MLB, unless they strip the World Series champs that cheated. Is the only fair thing.

Apparently, according to a poll I saw on ESPN, 70% of the fans agree with us.

Joe315
01-19-2020, 01:10 PM
It should stand as an empty World Series year. And the Astros wins should be vacated.

Merlin1958
01-19-2020, 02:18 PM
There's a very interesting and pertinent show on ESPN called: Back Story: Banned for Life. Check it out. Folks used to get banned for cheating/gambling in baseball.

Lurker
01-19-2020, 06:36 PM
I guess everybody is just going to have to get over it. Don't forget that year the Astros had a better away record than the home record. I have no problem with asterisks, but lets make sure all cheaters get them, like A-Roid and Sosa (I forget - did he get anything for his bat tampering?) and Bonds etc And lets not forget the felon Steinbrener or however it's spelled wouldn't have been in baseball but for a pardon from Reagan. Heck, I think Serena Williams should have been banned from tennis for threatening to kill a linesperson.

Merlin, thanks for your answer. And I agree about players going free. They should at least be named and shamed if the commish is going to do nothing else

Merlin1958
02-19-2020, 05:49 PM
Hello folks, if you are unhappy with the way MLB and the Commissioner have handled the Astros/Red Sox cheating scandal and would like to try to do something and have your voice heard, I have created a FB group designed to get as many members as possible and then send communications to the Commissioner, MLB and select persons in the media in an effort to have our voice heard. What I believe the, Commissioner, The Players Association, the sock puppets in the media and anyone else in organized baseball is that it is not their opinion that counts. The only opinion that should be valued and treasured is THE OPINIONS OF THE FANS THEMSELVES, who dole out their hard earned money to enjoy the game by purchasing tickets, memorabilia, jersey's, hats, balls, hot dogs, beer TV packages and Lord knows what else to support these cretins who then betray that trust by cheating to win a title. You can join the group on FB.......................,........

MLB FANS SEEKING CONSEQUENCES FOR ASTRO CHEATING

Without us fans no one on the Astros could afford to pay their respects. They'd all be back in their home neighborhood or country wishing they could make it to the show!!!!! So please join and bring your friends. The more members, the more they will listen!!!!!

Still Servant
02-19-2020, 06:01 PM
Hello folks, if you are unhappy with the way MLB and the Commissioner have handled the Astros/Red Sox cheating scandal and would like to try to do something and have your voice heard, I have created a FB group designed to get as many members as possible and then send communications to the Commissioner, MLB and select persons in the media in an effort to have our voice heard. What I believe the, Commissioner, The Players Association, the sock puppets in the media and anyone else in organized baseball is that it is not their opinion that counts. The only opinion that should be valued and treasured is THE OPINIONS OF THE FANS THEMSELVES, who dole out their hard earned money to enjoy the game by purchasing tickets, memorabilia, jersey's, hats, balls, hot dogs, beer TV packages and Lord knows what else to support these cretins who then betray that trust by cheating to win a title. You can join the group on FB.......................,........

Without us fans no one on the Astros could afford to pay their respects. They'd all be back in their home neighborhood or country wishing they could make it to the show!!!!! So please join and bring your friends. The more members, the more they will listen!!!!!

Aren't you a Trump supporter? Isn't cheating kind of his thing? It really shouldn't be that big of a deal at this point.

Merlin1958
02-23-2020, 12:58 AM

Aren't you a Trump supporter? Isn't cheating kind of his thing? It really shouldn't be that big of a deal at this point.

Aren't you an Athletic Supporter? Go do your job and go support somebody's sack.

Still Servant
02-23-2020, 02:41 PM

Aren't you an Athletic Supporter? Go do your job and go support somebody's sack.

It took you almost 4 days to come up with that? How sad. They say the mind slows down with age, but holy shit. :lol:

Joe315
02-23-2020, 04:05 PM
Would you two knock it the fuck off. Really ruining the thread.

CRinVA
02-24-2020, 07:14 AM
Agreed. There will always be people with varying opinions. That doesn't give anyone the right to bad mouth others, condemn, speak down to, etc. Let's all be civil about this.

Personally, my opinions align with Merlin's. I think its a big deal. If it's a rule and you break it, then you should be prepared to accept the consequences. The Commissioner of Baseball granting the players immunity under the guise as it was the only way to get to the bottom of it, was pure bullshit. That was the coward's way out and an attempt to sweep the matter under the rug with a few scapegoats taking all the blame on their shoulders.

As to professional baseball players being role models. They are such. Have their egos grown too much? Most definitely, but to get to the "show" the talent must be there. So many minor leaguers never reach that goal. The pros are in the limelight and as such should live up to the standards set. Millions of fans from 5 years old to 95 years old look up to their heroes no matter what team they play for and young impressionable kids can easily be swayed to take on improper behavior as demonstrated by some of their role models. These young kids are the future of baseball, which to me is the greatest sport. Just my humble opinion. I like most sports, but I simply love baseball. I would love to see the integrity of the game upheld by all from the lowliest MLB employee to the top.

Still Servant
02-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Agreed. There will always be people with varying opinions. That doesn't give anyone the right to bad mouth others, condemn, speak down to, etc. Let's all be civil about this.

Personally, my opinions align with Merlin's. I think its a big deal. If it's a rule and you break it, then you should be prepared to accept the consequences. The Commissioner of Baseball granting the players immunity under the guise as it was the only way to get to the bottom of it, was pure bullshit. That was the coward's way out and an attempt to sweep the matter under the rug with a few scapegoats taking all the blame on their shoulders.

As to professional baseball players being role models. They are such. Have their egos grown too much? Most definitely, but to get to the "show" the talent must be there. So many minor leaguers never reach that goal. The pros are in the limelight and as such should live up to the standards set. Millions of fans from 5 years old to 95 years old look up to their heroes no matter what team they play for and young impressionable kids can easily be swayed to take on improper behavior as demonstrated by some of their role models. These young kids are the future of baseball, which to me is the greatest sport. Just my humble opinion. I like most sports, but I simply love baseball. I would love to see the integrity of the game upheld by all from the lowliest MLB employee to the top.

Creating a FB Group or starting a petition to get MLB to change their decision is just silly. It's futile.

It sucks, but it is what it is. The fans will have have their say every time the Astros come into town. They are going to be a traveling circus. The villain that MLB needs. My guess is you see an uptick in the interest of baseball. That, I can guarantee, is something the league is elated about.

Mattrick
07-14-2020, 03:07 PM
Ahhhhhh so nice to watch baseball on TV again.

Still Servant
07-18-2020, 03:24 PM
I heard the Blue Jays won't be able to play in Canada.

SystemCrashOverRide
07-18-2020, 06:25 PM

Yup. The Federal government made the call today. So they will be shipping down south for the season. No announcements yet in their home field. People are speculating Buffulo but apparently the lighting there isnt up to MLB standards. Should be interesting - but as a Jay's fan who lives beside the Roger's Centre, I'm glad they're not crossing into the states and back into Canada every few days all (short) season long. Our borders are closed for a good reason.

Still Servant
07-19-2020, 08:15 AM

Yup. The Federal government made the call today. So they will be shipping down south for the season. No announcements yet in their home field. People are speculating Buffulo but apparently the lighting there isnt up to MLB standards. Should be interesting - but as a Jay's fan who lives beside the Roger's Centre, I'm glad they're not crossing into the states and back into Canada every few days all (short) season long. Our borders are closed for a good reason.

I think it's a sounds decision. I don't blame them. I forgot what real leadership looks like.

Mattrick
07-19-2020, 06:41 PM
Yeah, out of all the sports, MLB's plan is the least sound. NBA could find some hiccups. Hockey's two hub cities in Canada seem like a pretty safe deal. If only there were adequate baseball facilities up here.

I was optimistic it could work up here. At least we'd get to see the Dome for their home games. It wasn't a totally horrible situation considering the stadium has the hotel built into it so players wouldn't have to leave, minimizing outdoor contact. But I get why they've made the choice they've made.

fernandito
07-23-2020, 08:29 AM
That Mookie Betts, 12 year, $365m extension tho :o

Still Servant
07-23-2020, 03:59 PM
They may actually be able to win a World Series now! Nah, I'm just playin'. :lol:

Joe315
07-23-2020, 08:31 PM
I still really hate the Dodgers but I’m wondering if they’ll be able to sign Bellinger when it comes time.

Mattrick
07-23-2020, 11:52 PM
Hey! I'll be able to watch the Jays home season opener after all!

fernandito
07-24-2020, 07:11 AM
They may actually be able to win a World Series now! Nah, I'm just playin'. :lol:
We probably coulda taken that first one, but, you know... fuck the Astros.

Boston was better than one that one year tho.

I still really hate the Dodgers but I’m wondering if they’ll be able to sign Bellinger when it comes time.

He's not due to hit free agency until after the 2023 season I think. They still have 2 years to get everything prepared. Having him and Betts as anchors in the outfield for the next decade and beyond is too good an opportunity to pass up.

Still Servant
07-25-2020, 08:14 AM
You had to sign Betts. The Red Sox were insane to let him go. He was obviously going to demand a huge contract, but that's a once in a generation player.

fernandito
07-27-2020, 08:05 AM
Marlins cancel their home opener, 8 players and 2 coaches tested positive for COVID.

The beginning of the end for the 2020 season?

SystemCrashOverRide
07-27-2020, 02:35 PM
More than the 10 initially reported, looking like 13-14. Going to be one hell of an interesting season, if it lasts.

Mattrick
07-27-2020, 08:09 PM
I read the two catchers on the Braves have symptoms now too.

Big F on MLB

Iwritecode
07-28-2020, 08:21 AM
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1288142815696957441

In team vote, vast majority of Nationals players voted against going to Miami for three-game series this weekend, sources tell The Athletic. Decision will rest with MLB.

https://i.imgur.com/calC39G.png

Still Servant
07-28-2020, 04:07 PM
I knew this wasn't going to work. The season that never was.

Merlin1958
07-31-2020, 05:34 AM
Any way you slice it this was an "asterick" season. I'm just happy to have any baseball for my Yanks (who are 4-1 BTW!!!).

Mattrick
08-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Major League Oof

Mattrick
10-01-2020, 10:19 PM
What a terrible game for the Jays to go out on. Excited for next season though!

Merlin1958
10-01-2020, 10:21 PM
What a terrible game for the Jays to go out on. Excited for next season though!

They have a good young core they will be back. Their GM is a keeper

Pere Jere
10-02-2020, 01:30 AM
Hoping the Cubs can stay alive today. After seeing how the White Sox flamed out down the stretch, in part due to questionable managerial decisions, I’m even more sure the Cubs did the right thing replacing Renteria with Maddon in 2015.

Garrell
10-02-2020, 03:36 AM
Happy for my A’s. Nice to win a series again, even if it is a small one. Time to knock the cheaters out.

Iwritecode
10-02-2020, 04:38 AM
After seeing how the White Sox flamed out down the stretch, in part due to HORRIBLE managerial decisions.

Fixed it for you.

They have got to get rid of him. He absolutely lost that playoff series for them.

Even Steve Stone, who typically toes the company line, has been extremely vocal about how bad he's been this year.

Merlin1958
11-10-2020, 12:52 PM
So, Alex Cora was re-hired by the Red Sox today, throiws us an "I made a mistake, served my time and give me a 2nd chance" line and we're all supposed to forgive and forget? I mean the guy instituted the scheme, sold it to management (or got them to be complicit and condone it) then took those tactics to another team and won a WS. For all we know he actually won two, but only got caught on one. Meanwhile, several teams were deprived of the chance to fight legitimately for a championship and the trophies and titles remain intact, on display and firmly esconsed in each team's PR/marketing strategy going forward as well as the record books.

You see my problem with the way baseball handled this situation? Fines and a couple of suspension and onward we go. See, to me there is a definite cost/benefit analysis involved here. A team can determine that a championship is worth the paltry price and a few severed heads to claim it now and going forward!!! They should not be able to profit IN THE LEAST from cheating tactics and breaking the rules, IMHO

By this way of thinking, Shoeless Joe & Pete Rose should automatically be installed in the HOF!! How can you argue sanely against them with this sort of thinking?

Lurker
11-10-2020, 01:59 PM
Awww, break out the little violins.

By your logic A-Roid should have never been allowed back to play for the...um....oh - Yankees. Did you whinge against that travesty?

Merlin1958
11-10-2020, 06:21 PM
Awww, break out the little violins.

By your logic A-Roid should have never been allowed back to play for the...um....oh - Yankees. Did you whinge against that travesty?

No, fuck that. Take the Yanks out of the equation. Several other post-season teams (notably the Dodgers) were affested and who knows how many regular season wins were obtained to get their against the entire league.

Haters gotta hate I suppose, but try to get past that and honestly look at the situation. What if it were your team that were their victims?

Lurker
11-10-2020, 10:09 PM
You only went after Cora because it's the Red Sox. And they beat the shit out of the Yankees.
Not a peep about AJ Hinch being hired by the Detroit Tigers. Guess that was ok, it wasn't Red Sox affiliated.
And victims? A bunch of zillionaires didn't win a trophy. Yeah, it's a phyically demanding sport but it's a GAME. They didn't lose their life. Their families are ok. Their homes didn't burn down, or get flooded, or blown away. They didn't lose thier jobs or insurance or anything else really bad.
My team and all of baseball was cheated against every time A-Rod came up to bat. C'est la vie.

Merlin1958
11-11-2020, 05:33 AM
You only went after Cora because it's the Red Sox. And they beat the shit out of the Yankees.
Not a peep about AJ Hinch being hired by the Detroit Tigers. Guess that was ok, it wasn't Red Sox affiliated.
And victims? A bunch of zillionaires didn't win a trophy. Yeah, it's a phyically demanding sport but it's a GAME. They didn't lose their life. Their families are ok. Their homes didn't burn down, or get flooded, or blown away. They didn't lose thier jobs or insurance or anything else really bad.
My team and all of baseball was cheated against every time A-Rod came up to bat. C'est la vie.

Whatever. No point in discussing this further with you. You sound like a real loser with a pretty dim view of the world in general. I feel sorry for you, dude. Best of luck in the future.

Lurker
11-11-2020, 11:53 AM
:lol:

fernandito
03-07-2021, 12:05 PM
Wanted to bump this since Opening Day is right around the corner...

Sound off with your team.... GO DODGERS, DEFENDING CHAMPS BABYYYYYYYYYY