PDA

View Full Version : BTVSAT - Quarterfinals: 1960s (Bracket 1)

mae
01-03-2011, 05:23 AM
Monty Python's Flying Circus
vs.
Doctor Who

Previously on BTVSAT:

Monty Python's Flying Circus beat The Andy Griffith Show (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11587) and The Fugitive (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11756) (127.32)
Doctor Who beat The Jetsons (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11608) and The Munsters (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11724) (98.49)

candy
01-03-2011, 06:01 AM
dr who
while python was good, its not the best series of all time now is it?:cyclops:

alkanto
01-03-2011, 08:27 AM
DOCTOR WHO

fernandito
01-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Ah hell, why not ... Doctor Who !

jhanic
01-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Monty Python.

John

kluker
01-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Wow the Dr. is behind Python

pathoftheturtle
01-03-2011, 09:50 AM
dr who
while python was good, its not the best series of all time now is it?:cyclops:If you ask Eric Idle, it might be.

Odetta
01-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Python

(I hate Dr. Who)
*runs out of thread*

mae
01-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Monty Python is a piece of art. It deserves to advance out of the decade.

pathoftheturtle
01-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Yep. A huge, steaming piece of art.

Jean
01-03-2011, 10:33 AM
yes, that's what bears have voted for, too

(bears' nomination, after all)

RainInSpain
01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Yep. A huge, steaming piece of art.

Not that I have any problem with this (voted for the Dr. myself), but I cannot help but wonder - why so harsh?

pathoftheturtle
01-03-2011, 12:33 PM
That's not harsh. It's wacky.

DoctorDodge
01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Aw, heck. I voted for Who, naturally, but against the legend that is Python? I'm not a big fan of it, but even I know how big it is, even in the US. I have doubts Who's going to make it out of this round, tbh.

That won't stop me from rooting for Who, of course!

RainInSpain
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
That's not harsh. It's wacky.

Oh, OK. I see your point.

Heather19
01-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Doctor Who

OchrisO
01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I am a big Doctor Who fan, but I have a long and beautiful history with Python, so I voted for it.

LadyHitchhiker
01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Python

(I hate Dr. Who)
*runs out of thread*

I second that motion/notion. Never did like Dr. Who. Couldn't get into it.

Iwritecode
01-05-2011, 07:10 AM
I just realized that Dr. Who is the lowest ranked 60’s show in this round. In fact, of all the shows in round 3, it’s only ahead of Bonanza, The Jeffersons, Night Gallery and Saved By The Bell.

mae
01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
That's right. Good eye.

pathoftheturtle
01-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Yes, I'd also realized that. Shameful. MPFC is not so much greater, really, but I'm not surprised that it's gotten more votes.

candy
01-05-2011, 10:12 AM
I just realized that Dr. Who is the lowest ranked 60’s show in this round. In fact, of all the shows in round 3, it’s only ahead of Bonanza, The Jeffersons, Night Gallery and Saved By The Bell.

i am flabbergasted!!!:nope:

if this was a UK only vote this would be storming, its massive over here, i know its lost some viewers with the new guy but from the 60's through to now its got a HUGE fan base, i just think its a shame that its losing so badly and has been from the start

mae
01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm not surprised. MP is a bastion of surrealism and comedy. It's museum-quality programming. Who's just cool.

pathoftheturtle
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
link: /doctor-who-museum-blackpool/ (http://www.doctorwhotorchwood.com/2008/04/02/doctor-who-museum-blackpool/)

I see what you're trying to say, though. I just think it's balderdash.

Bethany
01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
This is belated but how the hell did anything beat Andy Griffith?!

DoctorDodge
01-05-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm not surprised. MP is a bastion of surrealism and comedy. It's museum-quality programming. Who's just cool.

Who's better than "just cool", pablo. It's a show that has captured the imaginations of generations of children, whilst at the same time providing incredibly strong and mature storytelling across nearly 5 decades. Time and time again it's proven to have the widest range of storytelling possible, from comedy one week to horror the next to even grand, epic finales. I know Python's big, but Who deserves to do better than this.

mae
01-05-2011, 02:41 PM
If Who was up against pretty much any other series in this decade, I'd agree.

Melike
01-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Doctor Who.

DoctorDodge
01-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Come on, more votes for Who, please! Out of these two British shows, Who is easily the more important! Ask any Brit on this board! Show me a Brit who doesn't know what a Dalek or a Weeping Angel is, and I'll show you a Brit who's not even a day old!

OchrisO
01-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I'd imagine that most Brits know that a nod is as good as wink to a blind bat as well.

alkanto
01-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Oh, I don't know why I keep checking this board...it's just a blow to my fandom heart every time I look! :cry:

Honestly, though, if Who had to lose, I suppose Monty Python would be an honorable victor. It's pretty damn funny, and would get my vote if it was against anything else....doesn't mean I can't join DD in his plea for more Who votes, though!

DoctorDodge
01-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd imagine that most Brits know that a nod is as good as wink to a blind bat as well.

Actually, nope. I'd never heard of that till now, and it's not something my mates would be aware of. Python was popular over here, but from what I've heard it may have been even bigger in America, whereas the daleks and the TARDIS are so iconic, they've ended up in the Oxford dictionary. 'Nuff said!

mae
01-08-2011, 05:28 PM
whereas the daleks and the TARDIS are so iconic, they've ended up in the Oxford dictionary. 'Nuff said!

Pythonesque.

candy
01-09-2011, 03:47 AM
you'd be surprised at how little the British public know about MP
you can mention Ministry of silly walks or dead parrot and they would look at you like you are a little bit insane.

Actually, nope. I'd never heard of that till now, and it's not something my mates would be aware of. Python was popular over here, but from what I've heard it may have been even bigger in America, whereas the daleks and the TARDIS are so iconic, they've ended up in the Oxford dictionary. 'Nuff said!

exactly, while i have nothing against python - it has not survived the test of time as well as Dr who. Every single person in the UK knows what a Tardis is and i would say more than half can even tell you what is stands for. These are people that have either grown up with Dr who or are new comers.

Over here Dr Who is generation wide, whereas Monty python is set to a certain generation. I'm not trying to be contraversial with this, but its true in the UK that only a certain generation where ever into Monty Python, there may be other age groups that like it - but this is because they have been introduced to it via someone else, whereas the Who fans are fans because they have their very own Dr

think about it, what other programme can you honestly say that each age group/generation has their very own lead character, and this then spawns arguements over 'my Dr is better than your Dr' but its all the same programme?

I feel very sad that Dr Who will be blasted out of this round by a programme that while it was good, has a very limited appeal.

DoctorDodge
01-09-2011, 07:24 AM
:clap: Couldn't have put it better myself, candy. Even me, raised in a generation that hardly had any Doctor Who in his childhood, became a fan because I watched Paul McGann's Doctor in the one off movie back in 1996, and naturally I think he's the best Doctor, just as many friends of mine who thought Tennant was the best because he was the first one they watched. I don't think anyone on this board who isn't British truly grasps just how big and important to our culture Who is over here, and just how tiny even Python is by comparison. Although candy did just give one hell of a good explanation for it!

Odetta
01-09-2011, 07:28 AM
say no more, say no more!

pathoftheturtle
01-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd imagine that most Brits know that a nod is as good as wink to a blind bat as well.I'm sure they do. So what? Oh, that's right... the expression was used in a skit. Yeah, that was funny.

OchrisO
01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I'd imagine that most Brits know that a nod is as good as wink to a blind bat as well.I'm sure they do. So what? Oh, that's right... the expression was used in a skit. Yeah, that was funny.

Get off my nutsack. You knew exactly what I meant. Stop trying to be a dick.

pathoftheturtle
01-09-2011, 01:48 PM
I knew what you meant, but it took me a minute. Honestly.
Whether you also meant to say that MPFC was a super-creative, ultra-important program, I'm still not absolutely sure about.
What I was trying to do was express my opinion to the contrary. I think it's okay, but not all that.
Alright?

OchrisO
01-09-2011, 01:54 PM
It was in reply to DD saying everyone in Britain knew what a TARDIS or a Weeping Angel were. I was saying that I expected that everyone knew skits from Python as well, which it turns out I was wrong about, i guess.

On another note:
Monty Python kind of swept through the United States after they did Live from the Hollywood Bowl, I think, and pretty much stayed relatively popular after that. When I was in high school, I was a band geek. We actually had parties from time to time after school in the band room where we brought snacks and such and watched Monty Python stuff, because nearly everyone in the high school band was obsessed with it, including the director.

DoctorDodge
01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Ah yes, it's always great watching your favourite show with mates, something i've done many times when watching a brand new ep of Who. Well, with mates who enjoy it as much as you do, or at least enough to keep quiet. Unless it's too awesome or emotional for that, leading to some of the best viewing experiences when watching a tv programme ever: hearing the words "I am *** ******" in Utopia brought out screams of "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!" from me and my mates, but i think my favourite was The Stolen Earth: alcohol, nachos, a ton of people and me and my best mate going "OMG!" and "WOAH!" a lot, before screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at the cliffhanger. Classic times! (Even her boyfriend's statement to us of, "You two seriously need to get laid" didn't affect our fanboy/girl geekiness! Like i said, classic times!)

Anyway, any show that causes ridiculously over the top, emotional reactions like that deserves to get to the semi-finals, at least! More votes for Who, please!

LadyHitchhiker
01-09-2011, 10:48 PM
NI!

DoctorDodge
01-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Yes: any show that has had over 45 years of awesomeness, a ridiculously wide range of storytelling, and episodes that can handle things like racism and mental illness and still be good family viewing deserves to go on! Vote Doctor!

(And my God, we Brits really aren't that exposed to much Monty Python these days: I had to actually look up what "Ni!" meant!)

mae
01-10-2011, 05:30 AM
(And my God, we Brits really aren't that exposed to much Monty Python these days: I had to actually look up what "Ni!" meant!)

I find that amazing. Oh well, maybe it's a generational thing.

mae
01-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Monty Python's Flying Circus is moving on to the Semifinals, having received 19 votes (57.58%). Its score is now 184.90.

OchrisO
01-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Don't get down Doctor Who fans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

DoctorDodge
01-10-2011, 11:52 AM

I find that amazing. Oh well, maybe it's a generational thing.

Or a UK/US thing. I keep telling you guys, Monty Python seems to be bigger in the US than even the UK. Believe me, I get amazed everytime i read the question, "What's a dalek?"

Monty Python's Flying Circus is moving on to the Semifinals, having received 19 votes (57.58%). Its score is now 184.90.

To quote Spaced,

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO!"

:cry: Most awesome character in television voted out far, far too soon! Ah well. If Monty Python won, I might as well and post John Cleese's best clip ever on here myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mmal0PMkmI

Erin
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
*hugs DD*

I know this is tragic for you. :lol:

DoctorDodge
01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks, Erin. Yes, it's about as unbelieveably tragic for me as it is for alkanto, or as tragic as it would be for feev and Ricky if Lost somehow lost the tournament!

But i'm currently watching a ton of awesome clips from City of Death (one of the best. stories. ever) to make up for it! Favourite moment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYSj3rJGO4I

"You're a beautiful woman, probably." :lol: Love it! Tom Baker = legend!

mae
01-10-2011, 12:18 PM
At least it didn't lose to a cartoon :) MP is a worthy victor.

DoctorDodge
01-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I suppose it's a good thing it didn't lose to a cartoon, but...i don't know, everything i've seen of Monty Python, including the Dead Parrot and argument sketches, I never found it as funny as i expected. I think Britain has made much funnier shows over the years that have stood the test of time better. Like the Day Today: that's over 15 years old, and yet it's random version of the news still seems as relevant and hilarious now as it did back then. Which is a good thing for me, as i was too young to enjoy it at the time! Or Not the 9 O'Clock News: again, about 30 years old, and yet there's plenty of sketches I found funny. I suppose in a 60s round, Python is one of the best shows to lose to, but I think it too easily overshadows a number of superior British programmes too much of the time for me to fully enjoy it.

pathoftheturtle
01-10-2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=49c-_YOkmMU

mae
01-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah Terry Gilliam is a jeenyus.

candy
01-11-2011, 10:37 AM

**sob** and it was my nomination too
all my nominations are being voted out, a girl could get paranoid you know!!

Well that would have been terrible, to have Dr who lose to a cartoon, it was bad enough seeing SG1 voted out over a cartoon, i mean i like cartoon s and all that but are they really the best show of all time?

**ok back to the subject**

Sob sob