PDA

View Full Version : Worst S/L or Collectible Item Ever?

carlosdetweiller
12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I nominate THE GREEN WOMAN by The Overlook Connection. I just received this little gem today.

Back in August The Overlook Connection announced the S/L of this graphic novel. Limited to 150 copies and you could pick your number. Numbers 1 & 2 were taken so I took #3. Paid $49.95 plus $6.95 shipping for a total of $56.90 up front via PayPal.

Here are some photos of this beauty. It is a regular trade edition with a spiffy little sticker on the spine identifying this treasure as an "Autographed Edition." Then to complete this deluxe package the authors have signed the back of the dust jacket and someone has written the book number freehand. No expense was spared and the attention to detail is breathtaking.

Oh, and to top it off I got #42 instead of the #3 I reserved.

Has anyone got a worse S/L than this?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/greenwoman1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/greenwoman2.jpg

frik
12-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Ouch - that is bad!

Great topic though - I'll have to think about this one. Most of my S/L books are King editions and not one comes to mind I'd care to nominate...

sk

e_taylor
12-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Thats bad even by Overlook's sub-standards.

The way I look at the OCP books is that its nice to get a signed copy of some classic books.

But they are far from up to snuff in terms of production values.

thegreattim
12-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Well, we are clearly not talking just about King here but if I were to nominate a King S/L it would have to be Under the Dome. That entire extra blank page with a lonely signature sure sets it apart from the collector's edition (which itself was quite weak for the price)!

I've not personally had any bad experiences with other S/L's, but I know this guy who did. His story of the worst S/L he ever bought is found here and looks suspiciously like above story, although at a much higher price... Link goes to awfulbooks.com, and infrequently updated site critiquing limited editions.

http://www.awfulbooks.com/awfulbooks/reviews/A-E/Crisis%20on%20Infinite%20Earths/Crisis%20on%20Infinite%20Earths.html

Randall Flagg
12-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Overlook Connection is famous for under-delivering. I am still waiting for my Coffin Case for Less Than Human by Gary Raiser. I have a note from Dave dated 1994 promising the coffins would be done soon (the book was announced-sold in 1992). Finally in 1996 after over 4 years of "stories" he sent the book without the coffin. The copyright page has the temerity to state: "A Limited Oak Coffin edition of 300.........". The book itself is very nice, although the type is in red. A nice novelty, but have you every tried to read 200+ pages printed in red ink?
The thread is great. It does raise the question as to what is the worst Stephen King signed Limited? I think I nominate TGWLTG S/L as the worst value.

Edit:
Maybe Dolso can make the coffin.

swintek
12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Great thread! I'll have to think about it and get back here- I've got a few!

WeDealInLead
12-28-2010, 03:09 PM
That worries me about OC. I have The Passage S/L on order from them. It was $50 cheaper than issue price which was weird but I couldn't pass it up.

I don't own a US S/L of UTD because it really does look cheap.

Rahfa
12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
TGWLTG has to be the worst...just like this one, all he did was sign the cover and then somebody numbered it...but other than the slipcase (right?) it was the same as the trade edition.

For $56, I'm not going to call this Overlook book the "worst," but certainly overpriced...if you bought an unsigned book it would run $30, so they've charged $25 for the sigs...fair price? Meh, not really.

I agree the UtD s/l was pretty weak too...anytime they can't even print a signature page shows no effort at all (as in this OC case, but for half the price).

I'm not a huge 'Black House' fan and was almost going to mention it, but I just read the review on 'awful books,' and it made some good points about why it's a good one...so while it's not my personal preference, that's just because of the design, and I have to agree the production values and appearance itself are really good.

What was the final TGWLTG price? $1000? For a condensed, rewritten version of the story? Yeah, that ones the worst.

carlosdetweiller
12-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Overlook Connection is famous for under-delivering.

Another thing about The Overlook Connection is recycled (i.e. previously used) boxes. I suppose the environmentally conscious would disagree but I like a new sturdy box when I order new books. The book in the first post in this thread arrived today in a previously used box originating from the Harlow Valley Packing Co. in Dublin, GA. According to the side of the box it once contained "one or more of the following: sliced smoked bacon, sliced smoked ham water added or sliced smoked shoulder picnic's water added." It also says "keep refrigerated." Thank goodness it is somewhat cold out today.

Randall Flagg
12-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Per the Collectibles Catalog:
Comments: 15 Lettered A-O (for private distribution) and 125 numbered produced. Children’s pop up book based upon King’s novel of the same title. Perhaps the only King limited to be made in China. The limited has one extra pop up, on the front end page which is where King’s signature and the limitation are. Collectors were shocked when a 14 page book, with no text written by King was increased from $500 to $1,000.

Randall Flagg
12-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Another thing about The Overlook Connection is recycled (i.e. previously used) boxes. I suppose the environmentally conscious would disagree but I like a new sturdy box when I order new books. The book in the first post in this thread arrived today in a previously used box originating from the Harlow Valley Packing Co. in Dublin, GA. According to the side of the box it once contained "one or more of the following: sliced smoked bacon, sliced smoked ham water added or sliced smoked shoulder picnic's water added." It also says "keep refrigerated." Thank goodness it is somewhat cold out today.
I hope you aren't Muslim.

carlosdetweiller
12-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I hope you aren't Muslim.

Or Jewish? Or vegetarian? Thankfully none of those. Just a meat eating Methodist omnivore.

e_taylor
12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Even some of the OCP books that actually have signature pages are just poorly printed (looks like from a home computer) sheets with the signature added.

As long as you know what to expect you won't be disappointed. Its just a matter of the price points making you think you'll get something more.

jhanic
12-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Other than the Under the Dome, another poor one is the s/l of Cujo. It has the identical text block as the trade edition and only an acetate dust jacket. I remember being disappointed in it.

John

east-tennessee
12-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Of the limiteds I have UTD would be the worst.....

Brian..

thegreattim
12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh! I almost forgot this one. I feel bad for any Bradbury fans. The text of the heavily illustrated Fall of the House of Usher by Poe and Usher II by Bradburdy, (an S/L collection) is done entirely in the F*CKING font COMIC SANS. Which I'm pretty sure automatically qualifies it as the worst S/L in history.

Thank you Gauntlet Press, for making my eyes bleed.

ETA: It also has the most home-made-y photoshop-y graphic art disaster that has ever been perpetrated on a cover.
http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/UsherII%28large%29.jpg

wizardsrainbow
12-29-2010, 12:27 AM
I thought the Transgressions S/L was pretty poor presentation...boring, no frills.

BigCoffinHunter
12-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah, TGWLTG was definitely bland, although it did come housed in a slipcase and with different binding than the trade. By the way, if memory serves the suggested retail price was $1,000.00 but the actual cost charged to resellers was only like $670.00 (which is why some were selling them for $900.00).

As far as recent King signed/limiteds that were merely "Meh..." I'd have to vote for He is Legend (both the numbered and Lettered) and the numbered edition of The Green Mile. I absolutely could not stand the numbered edition of Green Mile and ended up trading mine up towards a Lettered edition, which actually ranks near the top of the list of my favorite King limited editions, despite its mind-bogglingly high price tag of $2,500.00 and the fact that most of the original sketches I have seen have been rather dull (luckily mine is of Coffey's hand in the electric chair as he's being put do death, which I could not be happier with).

Still, I definitely have to give Subterranean Press kudos for the way that they handled an issue I had when the book arrived. The traycase for the Lettered edition has a ribbon sewn in, which unfortunately pressed against the leather on the spines of the books during shipping, causing an indentation and discoloration across all six spines (those of you with a Lettered edition of The Regulators may notices that the spacers inside the wooden traycase have a similar effect on the leather on the back of that book). It wasn't a huge deal, but for $2,500.00 I was slightly disappointed. I contacted Subterrantean Press and although they did not have any extras available, they put me into contact with the woman who designed and supplied the leather for the spines and paid to have her reproduce them for me. She ended up sending me six large pieces of leather, each of which had the book title blind-stamped six times with lots of blank space above, below, and between each title. So, rather than just getting the six titles I was hoping for, I ended up with 36 of them ;-) Subterranean Press definitely went above and beyond the call of duty there.

Rahfa
12-29-2010, 07:52 AM
That "Usher II" is truly ghastly.

I've never owned a Green Mile s/l, so I've never seen it in person...but I guess I'm semi-impressed because it was six little volumes, so they kept the point of the book. So 'Cujo' and 'TGWLTG' still rank above, to me.

Transgressions is def. meh, but it copied 'Legends' for the most part.

I think it's very easy to find examples of unimpressive s/ls, but not necessarily truly awful....but that 'Usher II.' Wow.

Dolan posted about Firestarter....the book itself is pretty rudimentary...but I think any great dustjacket like that disqualifies it from being the 'worst,' that and the dated signatures.

Dolan
12-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Transgressions and (sadly) Firestarter, in my opinion.

Sure the artwork on the dj for Firestarter is beautiful... I am pretty bored with the book as a collectible.

ELazansky
12-29-2010, 09:21 AM
I guess the worst s/l I own is the Bag of Bones UK edition. A first edition trade with the s/l bookplate attached. Still happy to have it, but it is extremely boring.

Stockerlone
12-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, Bag of Bones UK sig lim... extremely boring.

Patrick
12-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Based on the thread title, I thought: TGWLTG S/L (because of the price) and TRANSGRESSIONS.

Then I saw this. Oh dear Lord.

Oh! I almost forgot this one. I feel bad for any Bradbury fans. The text of the heavily illustrated Fall of the House of Usher by Poe and Usher II by Bradburdy, (an S/L collection) is done entirely in the F*CKING font COMIC SANS. Which I'm pretty sure automatically qualifies it as the worst S/L in history.

ETA: It also has the most home-made-y photoshop-y graphic art disaster that has ever been perpetrated on a cover.
But Bob's original post up there with the signatures and limitation in the white space on the back of the dustjacket... All I could think was, "You are fucking kidding me."

By the way, the S/L of CUJO is on my "Want" list, but due to comments in this thread, it has fallen much lower.

I still want the S/L of FIRESTARTER though. :)

thegreattim
12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Based on the thread title, I thought: TGWLTG S/L (because of the price) and TRANSGRESSIONS.

Then I saw this. Oh dear Lord.

I should post more pics of this... it truly is a disaster. The typeset, beyond the atrocious comic sans, leaves sooo much to be desired. For example, in one case they have nearly full page illustration with one and a half lines of text crammed into the top of the page. The worst part of the whole mess is the rather nice and unique art they used to illustrate the book. It was reproduced in the final product as a horrible blurry mess. The examples posted on the product page were crisp and colorful. The actual art in the book has been darkened somehow and is almost out of focus. It's like they took a picture of each piece with a camera phone from 2002 and txted them directly to the printer. "Ah, just throw these in wherever they fit, guys."

Patrick
12-29-2010, 01:29 PM
That was a book that I considered buying, but I thought the cover was just too ugly (as you eloquently stated). Now hearing about the interior, I am very glad I didn't bite.

thegreattim
12-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Part of me was hoping that the cover pic on the product page was just a placeholder until the book was finished. Unfortunately it was not. The only thing I can be thankful for, is that I got it for a very decent price, well below retail. If I had paid full, I'd probably return it.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-29-2010, 05:14 PM
You know, I never looked inside my S/L Cujo, except maybe to see the signature, but I always thought it was a nice looking book, at least on the outside.

Merlin1958
12-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Ok, call me crazy, but $49.95 for a S/L book by a name author? That's not bad when you compare to the other guys. Yeah, Its a "Graphic Novel" and all, but c'mon the guys held it and signed it. You want "Big Ticket" S/L's got to CD. That's what they do. If I could get the same thing for my King "Graphic Novels" I would jump at it!!!!!! OC is doing a great job and should be appreciated for the small press publisher it is. From what I can see, its a great job IMHO. I like the more "personal" touch. Worst S/L? I don't think so.

Rahfa
12-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Well...it's $49 because nobody will pay much more than that....they aren't heroes for charging a cheap price; they're charging market value. If SK did the same thing, it wouldn't be $49, so not really comparable.

They didn't hold it (of course, nobody ever holds the book...just the signature sheets), but just signed the dustjacket. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of personal touch...more like doing it as cheaply as they could.

But, like I said before, at $49, it's not terribly overpriced or anything...but doens't make it an especially impressive effort. "Usher II" looked worse...

Merlin1958
12-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Well...it's $49 because nobody will pay much more than that....they aren't heroes for charging a cheap price; they're charging market value. If SK did the same thing, it wouldn't be $49, so not really comparable.

They didn't hold it (of course, nobody ever holds the book...just the signature sheets), but just signed the dustjacket. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of personal touch...more like doing it as cheaply as they could.

But, like I said before, at $49, it's not terribly overpriced or anything...but doens't make it an especially impressive effort. "Usher II" looked worse...

Well, they probably "held" the DJ then, Man, I gotta move on from this game!! LOL LOL LOL

carlosdetweiller
12-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Ok, call me crazy, but $49.95 for a S/L book by a name author? That's not bad when you compare to the other guys. Yeah, Its a "Graphic Novel" and all, but c'mon the guys held it and signed it. You want "Big Ticket" S/L's got to CD. That's what they do. If I could get the same thing for my King "Graphic Novels" I would jump at it!!!!!! OC is doing a great job and should be appreciated for the small press publisher it is. From what I can see, its a great job IMHO. I like the more "personal" touch. Worst S/L? I don't think so.

Peter Straub is one of my favorite authors. I've read all of his books at least twice and some more than that. I think I even like reading his books more than books written by Stephen King. I have a large Straub collection and am continually trying to add to it. Having said all of that the fact is that Peter's signature adds little if any monetary value to a book. When a new Straub book is published it is child's play to get a signed copy of the first edition at the published price. Booksellers like VJ Books, Mark Lavendier and that "signed first editions" guy all sell legit signed copies at issue price. When Straub does a signing one only has to call the bookstore and order one at the retail price.

The book with which I started this thread is a signed first trade edition not much different from many others available at issue price for anyone who wants to do a little searching on the internet. It is advertised as an S/L in a misleading manner (IMO). When I pre-ordered this little jewel I'm not sure what I was expecting but I was expecting something better than a signed trade edition with a number written on the f***ing dust jacket.

Well, as the saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

east-tennessee
12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Bob,

You have sparked my intrest in reading Straub! I have only read the Talisman & black House with King...
Which of his would you recommend..

Brian

Jimimck
12-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Same here, I've only read the Talisman/Blackhouse as well. I do have a copy of Koko & Mystery sitting on my bookshelf however, are they any good?

wizardsrainbow
12-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I liked Straub's Floating Dragon a lot. That is what got me hooked on reading him.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Well, as the saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

...not when George Bush says it!

Jimimck
12-30-2010, 01:34 AM

...not when George Bush says it!

Is it just me, or has late night talk show comedy gone downhill since Bush left office???

frik
12-30-2010, 04:14 AM
I liked Straub's Floating Dragon a lot. That is what got me hooked on reading him.

I believe that was my first Straub as well. Loved it, just like some of his other earlier works, like Ghost Story and especially Shadowland.

His more recent books don't appeal to me too much. Unfortunately.

sk

carlosdetweiller
12-30-2010, 05:07 AM
Bob,

You have sparked my intrest in reading Straub! I have only read the Talisman & black House with King...

Brian

Same here, I've only read the Talisman/Blackhouse as well. I do have a copy of Koko & Mystery sitting on my bookshelf however, are they any good?

You can't go wrong if you start with GHOST STORY. It's one of Peter's best books from his "early" career. It's been made into a great movie, republished by specialty press publishers, etc. Classic novel.

THE HELLFIRE CLUB might also be a good first choice. It's one from Peter's "middle" period of his career. Lots of action (IIRC), a great villain in Dick Dart, and a real page turner.

My personal favorite is THE THROAT. But I hesitate to recommend someone start with it. It's the final book in a loose trilogy that includes KOKO and MYSTERY. Each book can certainly be read as a stand alone novel and you aren't required to read them in order but I remember quite a few references in THE THROAT to the prior two books that I found very enjoyable. I think THE THROAT is the best mystery novel I have ever read.

Peter has been writing with "intentional ambiguity" in some of his more recent books and that is something I don't really care for. I like all loose ends tied up when I finish a novel.

And yes, jimimck, KOKO and MYSTERY are excellent books. Both very high on my list of favorite Straub novels.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-30-2010, 05:08 AM
The only Straub I've read is GHOST STORY and BLACK HOUSE. I liked GS but I was highly dissapointed in BH (ok, I just about hated it).

Must edit this - of course I've read THE TALISMAN, which I highly enjoyed.

Rahfa
12-30-2010, 08:21 AM

L-O-V-E-D 'Floating Dragon.' I read it when I was 13, and I was legitimately terrified for a couple weeks after...that, and Pet Sematery are the only two books that managed to do that for real (probably not true, but those are the two I remember, so they carry more weight).

There's an s/l of it (can't remember the publisher), but it was uninteresting enough to never get me motivated to buy it, despite how much I loved the book...not the worst s/l, maybe, but certainly not a memorable one.

But...I chased the 'Dragon' afterwards, and none of his other books ever hit that high point again....entertaining and interesting sometimes, but never really great. I don't think I've read anything since 'Windows Without Doors.'

I did not notice that the first book on the thread was just a trade edition with a signed d/j...that's much lamer than I originally thought!

east-tennessee
12-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all the Straub suggestions guys.

Brian...

biomieg
12-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Yes, this reminded me once again that I need to read some Straub in 2011.

Jimimck
12-30-2010, 11:58 AM
And yes, jimimck, KOKO and MYSTERY are excellent books. Both very high on my list of favorite Straub novels.

Cheers, sounds as though I've found my next non-King story to read.

MLG
12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I want to add 'Lost Boy, Lost Girl' to the list of great Straub books. I put that one up with 'Ghost Story' and 'The Hellfire Club'. You can't go wrong with any of these. The follow up to 'Lost Boy, Lost Girl', 'In The Nightroom' is a good continuation of the story but but as good as the first story.

Brice
12-30-2010, 01:36 PM
I've really enjoyed all of the Straub I've read...Julia, If You Could See Me Now, Houses Without Doors, Shadowland, Floating Dragon, Ghost Story, Koko, Sides, Talisman (of course).

Cloysterpete
12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
I've only read two Straub and I didn't like either, I read Mr X like ten years ago, too long ago to remember why I didn't like it but I didn't want to read anymore after that. Then I read the Talisman which I just found not interesting at all, I mean there was enough happening that I should have enjoyed it but I dunno the writing just felt flat and bland and I couldn't get care about it. Now there's only one other King book that I've not enjoyed so you can guess who I'm blaming for that!.

Not really looking forward to reading Black House now.

Merlin1958
12-30-2010, 06:06 PM
I always loved "Ghost Story, Floating Dragon and Shadowlands". In fact, I just re-read "Shadowlands", but for some reason, although I have tried, the rest of his stuff turned me off like a faucet!!! Ghost Story was "Da Bomb' and the movie did it no justice!!!!

jhanic
12-30-2010, 06:14 PM
I just got one of the "scratch and dent" copies of Straub's Pork Pie Hat from CD. I haven't started it yet, though, because I'm about a quarter of the way through Tom Clancy's newest Jack Ryan book, Dead or Alive.

John

sentinel
12-30-2010, 07:01 PM
That's funny. I just finished Pork Pie Hat, great little book! Put on a Blues CD while you read it!
I also just downloaded the new Clancy to my Kindle!
Good reading lately!

thegreattim
12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but where are the "scratch and dent" copies available?

east-tennessee
12-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I'll be off to our local used book store soon to pick-up some Straub.
I believe I'll start with Ghost Story or Floating Dragon.

carlosdetweiller
12-31-2010, 04:37 AM
I'll be off to our local used book store soon to pick-up some Straub.
I believe I'll start with Ghost Story or Floating Dragon.

I'd recommend GHOST STORY. Personally I liked FLOATING DRAGON as others on this thread have also said. But FD is the one book that seems to be most reviled by critics/reviewers. I'm not sure of their reasons but would hate for you to start with a Straub book that lots of readers don't seem to like.

jhanic
12-31-2010, 05:32 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but where are the "scratch and dent" copies available?

This was an email from CD I received 12/6:

Hi there!

You're receiving this email because you recently bought something through the Cemetery Dance online store and we wanted to offer you the opportunity to purchase one of our recent hardcover books for just $2.99 plus shipping!

Today we received a box of the trade hardcover 1st printing of PORK PIE HAT by Peter Straub back from one of our distributors. These books show the smallest signs of wear and tear, but they'd make great copies for a general reader. They are complete with their beautiful dust jacket painted by Glen Orbik (the cover artist for Blockade Billy by Stephen King) and all of the pages are intact, etc. These copies just have the tiniest of imperfections, so we can't offer them as brand new.

Instead of putting these in our next dinged Grab Bag, we thought we'd try an experiment and offer these hardcovers for just $2.99 each plus shipping -- that's 85% off the retail price and a steal of a deal!

We've added the $2.99 version to the product page if you'd like to pick up a copy of this terrific Peter Straub book for a huge discount. Here is the link to place your order while supplies last:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/straub02

Thanks, as always, for your continuing support!

John

thegreattim
12-31-2010, 06:27 AM
Huh, thanks John. Of the hundreds of emails I receive from CD each year, I somehow didn't make this list. Thanks!

Ben Mears
12-31-2010, 06:32 AM
I really enjoyed Straub's A Special Place: The Heart of a Dark Matter which was a stand alone back story/companion novella to A Dark Matter.

Dave Hinchberger
01-02-2011, 08:45 PM
In response to The Green Woman signed and numbered edition with the author's participation: Just to be clear, this is not a limited edition. This is a signed and numbered copy of the Vertigo edition. We did not produce this as a limited hardcover from OC Press, nor have we ever listed it as such. We were limited to the number of copies to be signed, and we offered our customers the chance to pick a number (first come, first served on the number of course). We did however offer monetary compensation to the authors and thus we had to increase the price. In fact many of you ordered your copy early at the original price of $49.95, we had to increase that price once the second author unexpectedly agreed to sign (and which we paid him for too), but we did not increase the price of any early orders - that was just a bonus for you - and we appreciate advance orders. There has obviously been some confusion and I hope this helps. If you have any questions you are always welcome to e-mail me at overlookcn@aol.com or call us at 678-567-9777. Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone on The Dark Tower web site. All my best, Dave Hinchberger, Owner, Overlook Connection Bookstore and Press. Jan. 2nd, 2011

carlosdetweiller
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
This is a signed and numbered copy of the Vertigo edition. We did not produce this as a limited hardcover from OC Press, nor have we ever listed it as such.

With all due respect, Dave, I am going to post the original e-mail that I received from you in August, 2010. I would ask the other members of this forum to read both pages of the e-mail promoting the book, asking them to keep an open mind and not be too influenced by the preceding posts in this thread, and then decide if they think this offer is for a signed/limited edition or a signed copy of the trade edition by Vertigo. Vertigo is not mentioned at all in this promotional e-mail.

If you were reading this e-mail for the first time what would you have expected to receive? An S/L or a copy of the common trade edition signed on the back of the dust jacket with the number scribbled on by hand?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/Overlook1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/Overlook2.jpg

divemaster
01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I would think that I was receiving a signed and numbered book, of which only 150 were produced.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
After reading the Email, I personally would have assumed Overlook Connection as the publisher. Therefore, when I read "signed edition" a limitation page would have been expected.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
"There will only be 150 copies of this signed edition."

The claim is pretty cut and dry; from that, I would expect a book with some sort of firm limitation - which the signed dustjacket DOES do in a way...but barely. I mean, if you got Straub and the artist to sign a DJ at some point in the future and just gave it some random number you would technically create another copy of "this signed edition."

But, the ad doesn't claim anything like "bound in signature page" or anything like that....so it is accurate as far as that goes.

If it had just been called a "personally signed dustjacket that we've limited to 150 Overlook-produced numbered copies," I think that would have been a more accurate description.

At best, the original statement is a very loose intepretation of what we all believe a true s/l edition consists of. I wouldn't call it a 'lie,' but I think the statement's truth is stretched pretty far.

Having said that, at $49, I don't think this is overpriced...I'm sure customers would have been perfectly content to buy it with a more specific description of what they were getting. As always, the motto should be "promise less than you deliver and everybody will always be happy."

Merlin1958
01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Well, perhaps some of the phrasing was vague or open to interpetation, but I am no where near the experienced collector some of you folks are and the fact that it is a "Graphic Novel" and was priced at $49, would have told me right off that it was not a S/L with a limitation page, etc , etc. I don't recall ever seeing a traditional S/L for less than 3 figures. At the very least, I would have emailed him and asked "What's this"? before buying. I have always found Dave to be extremely communicative and open. To me, Graphic Novel = Comic Book. I'm sure he offered a complete refund to you, no? With all due respect, if it had been handled privately as a customer service complaint, I know Dave would have done something to try to make you happy in the end.

carlosdetweiller
01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't recall ever seeing a traditional S/L for less than 3 figures.

Really? Traditional S/Ls for a lot of authors other than King usually go for less. Here is an example of the new Repairman Jack novel by F. Paul Wilson to be published by Gauntlet. This is one that is fresh on my mind because I just ordered a copy. The signed and numbered edition is $85. I've bought S/Ls by Straub from Borderlands Press in that price range too.

http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=DarkatEndBk&ORDER_ID=541558051

carlosdetweiller
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
I have always found Dave to be extremely communicative and open. I'm sure he offered a complete refund to you, no? With all due respect, if it had been handled privately as a customer service complaint, I know Dave would have done something to try to make you happy in the end.

Well, prior to starting this thread I sent an inquiry wanting to know why I didn't get my requested number of 3 or (as an alternate) the next lowest number instead of the #42 that I did receive. (The webpage still lists many numbers lower than 42 as available.) Still waiting on the reply. So, in this case, the customer service that you rave about seems lacking to me.

Merlin1958
01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
To each his own, I guess

Patrick
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
My personal opinion is:

The email above is technically correct, however it is clearly misleading in spirit and expectation. Nowhere does it mention that this is a trade edition from another publisher nor does it state that the signatures and limitation will be on the back of the dustjacket rather than in the book itself. Buyers should not have to proactively contact a publisher to ask these things. With known reputable publishers, the answers are, and should be, assumed to meet the collector/small press customer market expectations.

Rahfa
01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Many, and almost ALL, of CD's non-SK limited editions are below $100...(actually, I'm talking out my ass...I think I'm right, but I'm not going to go to CD's website to confirm).

I'm not sure what difference it makes whether it's a graphic novel/comic book/novel/novella/whatever...SOD I+II is basically a graphic novel, right?

Bottom line is it was advertised as 150 signed-limited copies, but they did nothing but add their own alteration to an existing trade edition...that's not really that "limited." Sure, you can always email anybody and ask for clarification...but there should be reasonable expectation that the basic description is accurate and not open to misinterpretation, like this one definitley was.

Randall Flagg
01-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I find Dave Hinchberger to be public in offering to help/satisfy a customer, but when contacted he offers excuses rather than assistance. A prime example is the coffin case for Less Than Human. I know the issue is over 15 years old (perhaps that is why it should be resolved!), but when contacted requesting original pictures, specs, info etc. so that an aftermarket case could be sought, Dave's tepid response was "
Don't have any specs or pictures handy. This was quite some time ago. If I do run across them I will probably post them up on the site for the sake of history.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Best,

Dave

Perhaps it is time to break a separate thread out discussing The Overlook Connection.

It took years, but Cemetery Dance came and discussed issues, and most importantly resolved them.

Merlin1958
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I find Dave Hinchberger to be public in offering to help/satisfy a customer, but when contacted he offers excuses rather than assistance. A prime example is the coffin case for Less Than Human. I know the issue is over 15 years old (perhaps that is why it should be resolved!), but when contacted requesting original pictures, specs, info etc. so that an aftermarket case could be sought, Dave's tepid response was "
Don't have any specs or pictures handy. This was quite some time ago. If I do run across them I will probably post them up on the site for the sake of history.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Best,

Dave

Perhaps it is time to break a separate thread out discussing The Overlook Connection.

It took years, but Cemetery Dance came and discussed issues, and most importantly resolved them.

Very true, but CD had Sai King to bail them out of their errors. Just saying....

Randall Flagg
01-04-2011, 02:32 PM
The response just seemed as though Dave was unwilling, not unable, to dig up the literature that he used to sell the book.

Merlin1958
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
The response just seemed as though Dave was unwilling, not unable, to dig up the literature that he used to sell the book.

In my experience, I cannot agree, but then again, I'm not you or others. He's been more than great as far as I'm concerned. I've had an issue or two, but always quickly and amicably resolved. But again, I'm speaking to my experiences alone and I have had quite a few.

Brice
01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Just my opinion, but the use of the phrase "signed and numbered edition" in the above email certainly does lead me to believe a signed and numbered edition was being published. The wording suggests a separate publication, not the same book with the same dustjacket signed and numbered.

willie3
01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
As someone who has purchased NUMEROUS signed graphic novels, this is horse-shit.
I have a signed copy of the Watchmen by Moore and Gibbons signed on a limitation page, and purchased when issued for $49.95.
Sin City by Frank Miller, Mephisto in Onyx by Ellison and Miller, Stardust by Gaiman, Madman by Allred, Kingdom Come by Waid and Ross, Stray Toasters by Sienkiewicz, and these are off the top of my head, (I am in a hotel room out of town)
All with signed limitation pages, all under $100.

I have done business with Dave also, and other than VERY slow shipment, have had no problems. Even considered ordering the Green Woman myself, I like Bolton's art.
I am glad I didn't, it is horse-shit.
Who signs on the rear of a dustjacket? And then put a sticker on the jacket?
I would have felt less violated paying that price for a pristine unsigned copy.

I am sure I would not have handled it with the dignity Bob has displayed.

Get your money back Bob.

Karl

DanishCollector
01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Well, probably not belonging here, but anyways: Dave is a great guy, he's helpful and easy to do business with when ordering stuff from his store, but he strangely doesn't seem to like to answer e-mails when these e-mails are containing questions on why I didn't receive all the King material that I believe I bought and paid for. I decided to give up, and still find the non-responding behavior very suspicious. And I was friendly in my e-mails. Oh, well...

BigCoffinHunter
01-04-2011, 09:02 PM
This is from Cemetery Dance's description page for their numbered edition of Full Dark, No Stars:

"Traycased Oversized Hardcover Signed Limited Edition of only 750 copies printed in two colors and bound in leather with two color hot foil stamping, a satin ribbon page marker, and embossed endpapers, signed by Stephen King ($350)."

Now, their description is much more detailed than that of Overlook Connection's book, and yet nowhere does it indicate on Cemetery Dance's page that the Stephen King signature will appear on a limitation page. Still, I would never dream that this book would arrive with a signature on the dustjacket.

Now, some may say "But that's a $350.00 book..." Well, here's a better example. A couple weeks ago I received my copy of The Exorcist and Legion from Cemetery Dance. Here's their description:

"Deluxe Oversized Hardcover Limited Edition of 750 signed and numbered copies bound in full-cloth, Smyth sewn, featuring a bound-in satin ribbon page marker, and issued without a dust jacket to resemble an old world volume ($75)"

Once again, nowhere does it state that it will be signed on a limitation page, and yet the book is (the fact that it did not contain a satin ribbon page marker is a separate issue). Additionally, while the book is listed at $75.00, I was able to purchase it for under $50.00 direct from Cemetery Dance using one of their coupon codes, so I would consider this a fair comparison.

JasonUK
01-06-2011, 05:36 AM
I guess the worst s/l I own is the Bag of Bones UK edition. A first edition trade with the s/l bookplate attached. Still happy to have it, but it is extremely boring.

Hi, longtime lurker here, just breaking cover to say I think this is a bit harsh. As you correctly say, it is a trade edition with a signed bookplate. Here is the description from www.stephenkingcollector.com

"When SK went to England for a book tour he signed 2,000 bookplates that H&S pasted onto their 1st trade edition. Thus creating a limited edition (of sorts)."

However, it should be noted that (as far as I'm aware) the publisher never touted this as being a separate limited edition, and, most importantly, it was sold for the same price as the trade edition. It was only available at 1 or 2 events on the tour and was a bonus for people who had bought tickets to see Mr King.

It is unfair to compare this book to a true limited edition. When buying it on the secondary market, I think it should be treated more like a flat-signed 1st edition than a limited. The main difference is that you know the signature is authentic.

Jason

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-06-2011, 06:03 AM
It is unfair to compare this book to a true limited edition. When buying it on the secondary market, I think it should be treated more like a flat-signed 1st edition than a limited. The main difference is that you know the signature is authentic.

Jason

I disagree. It is a "true" limited edition. Each individual book has a specific number assigned by the publisher. I would say that qualifies it as a signed/limited.

ELazansky
01-06-2011, 06:23 AM

Hi, longtime lurker here, just breaking cover to say I think this is a bit harsh. As you correctly say, it is a trade edition with a signed bookplate. Here is the description from www.stephenkingcollector.com

"When SK went to England for a book tour he signed 2,000 bookplates that H&S pasted onto their 1st trade edition. Thus creating a limited edition (of sorts)."

However, it should be noted that (as far as I'm aware) the publisher never touted this as being a separate limited edition, and, most importantly, it was sold for the same price as the trade edition. It was only available at 1 or 2 events on the tour and was a bonus for people who had bought tickets to see Mr King.

Jason

It may be harsh, but it is considered a true S/L edition, and compared to other S/L editions I own like Skeleton Crew, I consider it my "worst."

carlosdetweiller
01-06-2011, 06:44 AM

Jason

I think that this is an excellent point. One must consider the circumstances surrounding the publication or issuance of a book when passing judgment. If you or I had bought one of these at the price of a trade edition at the King event it may very well be one of our favorite editions. But for those of us who paid a hundred or so dollars for a copy on the secondary market we are not very impressed with our purchase.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the S/L edition of CUJO as a bad example of S/Ls. But it has a deluxe binding, slipcase and a specific limitation/signature page. And, IIRC, it sold for only about $60 when issued. King was soaring in popularity at the time and this book was a bargain at the time. Now if some collector plunks down $500 to $800 for a copy expecting to get something the quality of a lettered THE REGULATORS or something it is natural that they will be disappointed.

jhanic
01-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I was the one who listed the s/l Cujo as one of the worst. Initial price of the volume was $75 (still a bargain, even back in 1981) but the production values were just not that great. No illustrations, an acetate dust jacket, etc. just aren't that great.

John

Randall Flagg
01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Danse Macabre isn't the worst, but it is rather bland.

biomieg
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't collect King S/Ls but of course I do admire most of them - and some, not so much. To me, the most boring S/Ls are the lettered editions that are completely identical to the numbered ones, except that they have letters instead of numbers on the limitation page.

jhanic
01-06-2011, 12:04 PM

True!

John

thegreattim
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't collect King S/Ls but of course I do admire most of them - and some, not so much. To me, the most boring S/Ls are the lettered editions that are completely identical to the numbered ones, except that they have letters instead of numbers on the limitation page.

I agree. I also feel the same way about S/Ls (not necessarily King) that don't vary from the trade edition with the exception of an added limitation page. I expect at least some art or a slipcase or leather binding or something!

Patrick
01-07-2011, 12:07 AM
I still want to pick up a copy of the UK BAG OF BONES S/L. My expectations are set appropriately, so although I may not love the thing, but I will definitely like it. I look forward to finding one appropriately priced (for a 2000 limitation, first trade edition, with a signed and numbered bookplate) and adding it to my collection.

biomieg
01-07-2011, 12:19 AM

I agree. I also feel the same way about S/Ls (not necessarily King) that don't vary from the trade edition with the exception of an added limitation page. I expect at least some art or a slipcase or leather binding or something!

Yeah. The thing is: say you have a signed/numbered edition with a print run of 500 copies and a signed/lettered edition issued in 52 copies and they are identical in all aspects, even down to the limitation page. I'm in this case referring to the S/L GUNSLINGER where the limitation page simply states: "This special edition of The Dark Tower: THE GUNSLINGER is limited to 500 copies, signed by the author and artist. This is copy..." followed by either a number or a letter.

I'm not saying that the S/L GUNSLINGER is not a nice book but to me it feels like it's not a signed/limited book with a print run of 500 copies, but actually one with a print run of 552 copies, of which 52 are lettered instead of numbered (not counting the publisher's copies et cetera for now). Of course, the lettereds are still scarcer than the numbereds but... I would have a harder time paying lots of $$ for a lettered GUNSLINGER than for a lettered FIRESTARTER, for example.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I know it's an exercise in futility because 'it is what it is' but I thought I'd share my thoughts :)

Stockerlone
01-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Also not a beauty... The German signed Duddits - Dreamcatcher 1/25 limited.
It´s the normal HC version, only the page where King signed is in an other color then the normal HC.
But, its the one and only German Stephen King sig (lim) ok - no nr inside, but there are only 25 books.

Ben Mears
01-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Yeah. The thing is: say you have a signed/numbered edition with a print run of 500 copies and a signed/lettered edition issued in 52 copies and they are identical in all aspects, even down to the limitation page. I'm in this case referring to the S/L GUNSLINGER where the limitation page simply states: "This special edition of The Dark Tower: THE GUNSLINGER is limited to 500 copies, signed by the author and artist. This is copy..." followed by either a number or a letter.

I'm not saying that the S/L GUNSLINGER is not a nice book but to me it feels like it's not a signed/limited book with a print run of 500 copies, but actually one with a print run of 552 copies, of which 52 are lettered instead of numbered (not counting the publisher's copies et cetera for now). Of course, the lettereds are still scarcer than the numbereds but... I would have a harder time paying lots of $$ for a lettered GUNSLINGER than for a lettered FIRESTARTER, for example.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I know it's an exercise in futility because 'it is what it is' but I thought I'd share my thoughts :)

I feel the same. As you say "it is what it is" but the whole lettered vs. numbered thing, unless there are distinct differences in the actual book beyond what it is housed in, seems like (no disrespect intended) an awful lot of hairsplitting.

WeDealInLead
01-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Agreed 100%. You're paying for the privilege to belong to a very small circle of people, not for extra artwork etc. If that's your bag and you can afford it, cool, but it does seem a bit excessive.

Rahfa
01-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Agreed 100%. You're paying for the privilege to belong to a very small circle of people, not for extra artwork etc. If that's your bag and you can afford it, cool, but it does seem a bit excessive.

I agree with 90 percent of this...unless a lettered is actually a truly different edition (Skeleton Crew, or even the overpriced SOD lettereds), they have no interest for me whatsoever...however, since we're talking about books we could read in the form of a $5.99 paperback, I think the entire concept of s/ls is arguably pretty excessive, so any cost/expense discussion is getting into hairsplitting once you really start thinking about it, and for completists won't come into the equation at all...haha....

thegreattim
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that completely. I think beyond the "very small circle" thing, that there has to be something beyond the change from # to letter on the signature page to justify the costs. If you look at the price differential, giving someone what is essentially the exact same book for $300-$1000 more than the person who ordered the numbered edition... that just doesn't add up to me. I think at that price you deserve more art or bonus text or for the book to be printed on silk or some such ridiculous thing. It's been said before, but from an economic standpoint, scarcity alone does not impart value. It must have some inherent value itself.

For example, what is to stop a publisher from doing 4 or 5 "levels" of a book otherwise? I could produce a trade for $40, a numbered (1/300) for $80, a lettered (1/26) for $400, say a "Roman numeral edition" (1/15) for $1500, "Japanese kanji edition" (1/5) for $5000 and an "Arabic abjad edition" (1/1) for $20000. You would not expect each of these books to be identical save for the signature page icon... I'm a firm believer that each book should be inherently different and, not only that, but better. In every case, from every publisher.

But of course, that is just my opinion. Many people and most publishers would disagree.

Ben Mears
01-09-2011, 01:28 PM

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that completely. I think beyond the "very small circle" thing, that there has to be something beyond the change from # to letter on the signature page to justify the costs. If you look at the price differential, giving someone what is essentially the exact same book for $300-$1000 more than the person who ordered the numbered edition... that just doesn't add up to me. I think at that price you deserve more art or bonus text or for the book to be printed on silk or some such ridiculous thing. It's been said before, but from an economic standpoint, scarcity alone does not impart value. It must have some inherent value itself.

For example, what is to stop a publisher from doing 4 or 5 "levels" of a book otherwise? I could produce a trade for $40, a numbered (1/300) for $80, a lettered (1/26) for $400, say a "Roman numeral edition" (1/15) for $1500, "Japanese kanji edition" (1/5) for $5000 and an "Arabic abjad edition" (1/1) for $20000. You would not expect each of these books to be identical save for the signature page icon... I'm a firm believer that each book should be inherently different and, not only that, but better. In every case, from every publisher.

But of course, that is just my opinion. Many people and most publishers would disagree.

I think Centipede did a decent job of distinguishing its 'Salem's Lot limited between edition types. Same with Knowing Darkness.

thegreattim
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
True, that is a good example. And actually, I think my statement "most publishers would disagree" is a little over stated. I was just trying to make my point about scarcity vs value. There are a few though, who certainly don't see it my way. :)

Jimimck
01-09-2011, 01:41 PM
I think you make a valid point Tim. Yes there may be some value in the scarcity of the book, but for me, I look to pay the extra costs for a nicer publication, extra artwork, slipcases etc.

BigCoffinHunter
01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Well now, can someone actually provide an example of the publisher charging more for a Lettered edition of a Stephen King book that is exactly the same as the numbered edition in every respect other than the letter itself? Sure, sellers charge more for a Lettered copy of the Gunslinger, but as far as I am aware the Lettered copies were association copies given out by Grant for free. Same with the red-numbered copies of Eyes of the Dragon, which were given out to King's friends and associates free of charge as Christmas presents. Were Lettered copies of Cujo or any other similar books ever sold by the publisher directly for more money, or is it merely a secondary market issue?

thegreattim
01-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure I've seen it with King books per se, as I mentioned, my rant was not specifically directed at King's books (and truth be told, I've never seem a King lettered in person), but the others this generalized "Worst S/L" thread is dedicated to.

I'd be interested if anyone does have a King example, though.

east-tennessee
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Bob,

Brian

You can't go wrong if you start with GHOST STORY. It's one of Peter's best books from his "early" career. It's been made into a great movie, republished by specialty press publishers, etc. Classic novel.

THE HELLFIRE CLUB might also be a good first choice. It's one from Peter's "middle" period of his career. Lots of action (IIRC), a great villain in Dick Dart, and a real page turner.

My personal favorite is THE THROAT. But I hesitate to recommend someone start with it. It's the final book in a loose trilogy that includes KOKO and MYSTERY. Each book can certainly be read as a stand alone novel and you aren't required to read them in order but I remember quite a few references in THE THROAT to the prior two books that I found very enjoyable. I think THE THROAT is the best mystery novel I have ever read.

Peter has been writing with "intentional ambiguity" in some of his more recent books and that is something I don't really care for. I like all loose ends tied up when I finish a novel.

I could not find a copy of Ghost Story at my local usedl bookstore, but they did have The Hellfire Club, I'll try it first

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture1.jpg

Rahfa
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Well now, can someone actually provide an example of the publisher charging more for a Lettered edition of a Stephen King book that is exactly the same as the numbered edition in every respect other than the letter itself?... Were Lettered copies of Cujo or any other similar books ever sold by the publisher directly for more money, or is it merely a secondary market issue?

That's a good point...I don't have Beahm's price guide handy, but even if the price was different, I bet it wasn't by much...it's the buyers who've driven that secondary market more than the publishers drove the primary market.

And, CD and Centipede have made the lettered editions markedly different than the limited...you can argue that lettered SOD's are too expensive - but they are a different edition than the normal limited.

Merlin1958
01-11-2011, 06:35 AM

For what its worth, "Danse" doesn't even seem like a King book needing a special edition, but that's just MHO. King writes fiction, Danse and On Writing always struck me as off for collecting anyway. Know what I mean? Not that they aren't good reads or anything just, off the beaten path, maybe? IDK

Rahfa
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Probably true, although that wasn't the case at the time...I think Danse was his first limited edition, actually, from 1979. Is that right?

jhanic
01-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Firestarter was first in 1980. Then Cujo (1981) then Danse Macabre (1981).

John

Randall Flagg
01-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Probably true, although that wasn't the case at the time...I think Danse was his first limited edition, actually, from 1979. Is that right?

Firestarter was first in 1980. Then Cujo (1981) then Danse Macabre (1981).

John

Wow. John is fast.

Rahfa
01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Haha....thought the same thing...I try to avoid making declarative statements about dates like that unless I'm absolutely sure...haha...

Patrick
01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
I do not yet own a copy, yet the S/L of DANSE MACABRE seem to always be offered at prices that are too high to be of interest to me. I guess in that regard, I agree with Bill.

Cutter
01-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Don't be surprised if the Illustrated Masques has the same font, as it's a similar in style book.

My worst goes to Subterranean Press for any Ray Bradbury Lettered Edition that cost $750. It's the same book as the limited edition but with a fake leather binding and about an extra 5-10 pages of bonus content. I can honestly say I almost cried when I received the books after paying so much money and received so little of a difference between the Lettered and Limited. And then I did it again and bought another Bradbury Lettered for $750 and again it was a limited in fake leather but $700 more. Biggest rip offs in my book buying career. This is a prime example of publisher greed. Charge more because of the author but do not utilize that elevated cost in book materials - take the money and run

Randall Flagg
01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
The Transgression S/L is a pretty mundane presentation, although at $200 it wasn't a ripoff.

thegreattim
01-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Don't be surprised if the Illustrated Masques has the same font, as it's a similar in style book.

My worst goes to Subterranean Press for any Ray Bradbury Lettered Edition that cost $750. It's the same book as the limited edition but with a fake leather binding and about an extra 5-10 pages of bonus content. I can honestly say I almost cried when I received the books after paying so much money and received so little of a difference between the Lettered and Limited. And then I did it again and bought another Bradbury Lettered for $750 and again it was a limited in fake leather but $700 more. Biggest rip offs in my book buying career. This is a prime example of publisher greed. Charge more because of the author but do not utilize that elevated cost in book materials - take the money and run

I love SubPress for their selection of books. No other small press publishes anything close to SP's selection for stuff I actually want to read. That and Bill has always taken care of me with excellent customer service, despite my often unusual requests.

That being said, their limiteds have gotten a bit formulaic of late and with the exception of the traycase, their lettereds are almost always identical to the numbered. Unfortunately, the prices are often based on the popularity of the author as well. As you mentioned, Bradbury. Also Gaiman, Stephenson and others. But that, I suppose is not entirely surprising... higher demand = higher prices. Though as you mention, for $700 more, I'd expect a top of the line production.

On the other third? hand, their volume growth has been incredible in the last years also. One can hardly call them small press any longer. I think I remember a newsletter saying that they had published somewhere around 100 books last year with more expected this year. It's hardly surprising they've gotten formulaic.

e_taylor
01-14-2011, 04:53 AM

I love SubPress for their selection of books. No other small press publishes anything close to SP's selection for stuff I actually want to read. That and Bill has always taken care of me with excellent customer service, despite my often unusual requests.

That being said, their limiteds have gotten a bit formulaic of late and with the exception of the traycase, their lettereds are almost always identical to the numbered. Unfortunately, the prices are often based on the popularity of the author as well. As you mentioned, Bradbury. Also Gaiman, Stephenson and others. But that, I suppose is not entirely surprising... higher demand = higher prices. Though as you mention, for $700 more, I'd expect a top of the line production.

On the other third? hand, their volume growth has been incredible in the last years also. One can hardly call them small press any longer. I think I remember a newsletter saying that they had published somewhere around 100 books last year with more expected this year. It's hardly surprising they've gotten formulaic.

On the secondary market yes. I find it disgraceful the way publishers inflate prices simply because they know they have a market for those authors. If you want to make a great looking book then go for it (you'll still pocket a ton more profit than on a normal title) but don't just jack up the price because you know you can get away with it.

Look at the production values of this book: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brian-Keene-DARKNESS-EDGE-TOWN-Signed-Limited-/370277577638?pt=Antiquarian_Books_UK&hash=item56364373a6 - its nicer than 90% of the lettered editions that are being produced and it retailed for $175. The publisher is one of the best businessmen I know, so I can guarantee that there was room for a worthwhile profit at that price too. So at $750 SubPress could at least make a nice book that wouldn't make their customers feel violated.

Hell, even CD - everyone's old whipping boy makes an effort. They charge almost twice as much for King books compared to their normal titles, but they at least make them worthwhile with the addition of the slipcase.

Cutter
01-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Look at the production values of this book: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brian-Keene-DARKNESS-EDGE-TOWN-Signed-Limited-/370277577638?pt=Antiquarian_Books_UK&hash=item56364373a6 - its nicer than 90% of the lettered editions that are being produced and it retailed for $175. The publisher is one of the best businessmen I know, so I can guarantee that there was room for a worthwhile profit at that price too. So at $750 SubPress could at least make a nice book that wouldn't make their customers feel violated.

Yea Eric I own both books, the Keene book's material are about a 100 times nicer, and with the more expensive materials than the materials used with the Bradbury books. And to top it off I saw Bob's two Simmons Lettered Editions of the Terror and Drood and they were beautiful. Why Sub Press decided that it was ok to use expensive materials for Dan Simmons and not with Ray Bradbury is confusing. Also add to the fact the Bradbury copies were $250 more than the Simmons books makes you wonder why they couldn't aford to make a better book.

btw, the two books were Farewell Summer and I Sing the Body Electric. Go with the limited Editions on these.

@thegreattim - I agree, I stopped calling them a small publisher a few years back when I noticed in Locus Magazine that their annual output of books was more than some large publishers in New York. And their hectic pacing and amount of books that come out do make the books formulaic. But they do make exceptions at times as noted above.

Cutter
01-14-2011, 07:00 AM
I might as well put in a vote for worst King Limited Edition. As for the ones I own (No I did not buy the pop-up book) it would have to be Cujo. I actually like it on the shelf, but they took the Trade Edition and put cloth boards on it with a signature sheet and slipcase and that was it. Having the same book block as the trade edition is awful!

Room 217 Caretaker
01-14-2011, 07:24 AM
I might as well put in a vote for worst King Limited Edition. As for the ones I own (No I did not buy the pop-up book) it would have to be Cujo. I actually like it on the shelf, but they took the Trade Edition and put cloth boards on it with a signature sheet and slipcase and that was it. Having the same book block as the trade edition is awful!

Well, how can I say this? I'll try but it may come across wrong:

Publishing companies like Cemetery Dance, Donald Grant, etc. have truly raised the bar on what a limited edition is today. You can easily look back on an older Cujo and say blah, why so plain? But when I got my copy in the 80's, I said WOW! Why? Because I didn't know a limited could get any better. Again, this probably is coming out wrong, but I won't compare what we expect and have today to what we had in the 80's.

And I'll say this (and it looks like I'm the only one..haha)...I like my TGWLTG signed limited. When guest visit my closet they take notice of all the books but two always get questions, Salem's Lot S/L & TGWLTG S/L.

Mulleins

ELazansky
01-14-2011, 07:28 AM
I agree with you, Ralph. Even though I was not collecting books back in the 80's or 90's, I would imagine that Cujo was pretty awesome looking when it was released. I would have been thrilled to get a copy back then.

jhanic
01-14-2011, 09:35 AM
As I've stated before, I wasn't THAT impressed by the s/l Cujo even when it first came out.

John

Room 217 Caretaker
01-14-2011, 11:06 AM
John,

If Cujo had a jacket on it created specifically for the limited, like Whelan did for Firestarter, would you consider it a better S/L? Just curious. Personally, I always thought the gold leaf stamping of the Before Cujo and the After Cujo on the front was very cool. JMO

I think the first limited that truly raised the bar though was The Stand. After that, my expectations starting going up. Yes, Firestarter lettered was nice but honestly I didn't know about it at the time. A friend of mine showed me a picture of his copy and I thought he was joking.

Mulleins

jhanic
01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Ralph, you may be right about the Cujo dust jacket. The clear acetate one just did nothing for me. Perhaps if it had a jacket similar to that of Firestarter, I could feel otherwise.

John

Cutter
01-15-2011, 03:28 PM
If Cujo had a jacket on it created specifically for the limited, like Whelan did for Firestarter, would you consider it a better S/L? Just curious. Personally, I always thought the gold leaf stamping of the Before Cujo and the After Cujo on the front was very cool. JMO

I do like the way Cujo looks on the shelf as I mentioned. I like the stamping, but the paper quality is horrible. It's a book to buy and put on the shelf and never touch again. Personally I like to read my Limited Editions. I know a lot of people don't but I do, so when I spend all that money I also want to be able to read the book.

frik
01-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Personally I like to read my Limited Editions. I know a lot of people don't but I do, so when I spend all that money I also want to be able to read the book.

:thumbsup:

sk

Ben Mears
01-16-2011, 08:55 AM

I do like the way Cujo looks on the shelf as I mentioned. I like the stamping, but the paper quality is horrible. It's a book to buy and put on the shelf and never touch again. Personally I like to read my Limited Editions. I know a lot of people don't but I do, so when I spend all that money I also want to be able to read the book.

I agree. I don't have many but those I do own have been read several times. If I can't enjoy them I don't see the point in buying them.

Cloysterpete
01-16-2011, 10:15 AM
The only times I don't read my expensive editions is when they become too huge and unwieldy to do so comfortably, so the CD Full Dark will be fare game but there's no way I would sit down with that huge edition of Salems Lot.

Ben Mears
01-16-2011, 10:42 AM
The only times I don't read my expensive editions is when they become too huge and unwieldy to do so comfortably, so the CD Full Dark will be fare game but there's no way I would sit down with that huge edition of Salems Lot.

You should try it. The heft, the way the pages are design for handling, and the feel of the paper of the Centipede limited make reading 'Salem's Lot a whole new experience.

Randall Flagg
01-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Just wash your hands first so oils from your fingers don't soil the pages.

biomieg
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Large books can also be read sitting at a table with the book lying in front of you.

Shannon
04-03-2011, 05:11 PM
READ limited edition books!? No way, I'd much rather buy them for lots of money, crack them open once to verify authenticity, and then put them on my shelf for the rest of eternity.

LOL, it sounds funny, but that's what I do. I'm basically buying really expensive decorations, lol.

Sucks to hear about people not liking Cujo, that's my next S/L I'm buying on the 15th :(

My vote, should it mean anything, is the Under The Dome S/L (which I'm also buying on the 15th, lol!). I mean, really, not numbered? That just seems wrong!

Shannon

P.S. In regards to Blockade Billy, I like the baseball card signing. It's different, you know? And while different might not always be the best idea ever, different is still different. :)

Tito_Villa
04-04-2011, 12:16 AM
I like the production of the Blockade Billy S/L, i just wasn't a fan of the story which is why i didn't order a copy

Jimimck
04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I must say the only reason I ordered a copy of BB was I was so happy I was given the opportunity to. No idea if it is actually hard to be picked for things like that or not, but I got swept up in the hoopla, and since I had the funds at the time, took the plunge.

I'm not a huge fan of the story either, and even considered selling/trading the book towards something i thought I'd like more, but now I have it, I'm glad I didn't as I think the production is AWESOME.

Hmmmm upon reflection, this post doesn't really qualify for "worst S/L ever ay? lol

Randall Flagg
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Will the S/L 11.22.63 belong in this group?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Probably. H&S editions are always pretty poor.

AKC
11-02-2011, 01:53 PM
As I've stated before, I wasn't THAT impressed by the s/l Cujo even when it first came out.

John

I feel the same way about CUJO. Just doesn't do it for me. BUT, I would argue that you gotta' have it in the Collection......

AKC

jemaher
11-03-2011, 10:24 AM
a bad signed limited is like bad sex..... ITs still Sex. and even bad sex is still pretty good.

Randall Flagg
11-03-2011, 12:44 PM
a bad signed limited is like bad sex..... ITs still Sex. and even bad sex is still pretty good.
Not with the Green Woman. See post #1 in this thread.

jemaher
11-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Ok wow thats a pretty lame sl......but still it the green woman didnt have a green discharge....there are those that would, well you follow my euphemism

Patrick
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Sounds like it will be right up there with the S/L of UNDER THE DOME. At least they're offering it at a lower cost this time.

jhanic
11-07-2011, 07:18 PM
But all of us completists will buy one anyway.

John

Patrick
11-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Exactly.

jemaher
11-08-2011, 09:35 AM
unfortunately sad but true

Patrick
11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
But all of us completists will buy one anyway.

John

Clarification: Only if they had four free hours to spend on the S&S site this morning. :doh:

jemaher
11-08-2011, 12:18 PM
yeah, missed that one too

Randall Flagg
12-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Bump.

Brice
12-10-2011, 10:14 AM
My fault, Jerome! I forgot there was a similar thread.

Patrick
12-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Now that the S/L is in many people's hands for up-close inspection and fondling, which do you all feel is the better (or the worse to stay on topic) of the two most recent S&S limited King editions:

UNDER THE DOME or 11/22/63?

ELazansky
12-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I'd say Under the Dome is the worse of the two. I like the DJ and pictorial boards of 11/22/63, so it differs from the regular trade. More so than UTD did.

jhanic
12-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I agree. The Under the Dome s/l was really bad. The 11/22/63 s/l, ignoring the terrible handling of the sale by S&S, is quite a bit better. As Eric said, the pictorial boards and the special dust jacket make it loads better.

John

Shannon
12-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Not an S/L, although the S/L version is bad as well ...

My. Pretty. Pony.

Oh, how I hate you, you big, stupid, UGLY book.

Stockerlone
12-10-2011, 11:14 AM
About ugly sig lim books .....
Never forget the one and only sig lim GERMAN Stephen King Book DUDDITS :ghost_002:

Duddits Stephen King limited to 25 signed Ullstein HC.
Only one difference between the normal HC and the sig lim Book.
In the signed book the signatur is on WHITE page, in all other ´normal´ hc´s is this page GREEN

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=160584955&imageType=image

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=149796704&imageType=image

jhanic
12-10-2011, 12:21 PM
That's bad.

John

AKC
12-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I know it's been mentioned before but I really don't think the CUJO S/L is all that special.....

AKC

Brice
12-10-2011, 01:09 PM
I am willing to take all of y'all's ugly books. :lol: I hear those true first 'Salem's Lots are a real eyesore.

Seriously, I can't think of a book I own that i don't like.

Rahfa
12-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I know it's been mentioned before but I really don't think the CUJO S/L is all that special.....

AKC

True - but at least the cover was a little different. Danse Macarbe is even worse (by that standard), since it's essentially the same book but without even a new design for the front cover.

The original issue price for both books was very reasonable, though...I think qualifying books should have been expensive AND uninspired.

I love Grant, but Black House didn't live up to expectations - and was a notorious late release. It looked very similar to Desperation. Big and black book in a big and black slipcase. Nice leather cover, and cool interior art, though (though inferior to Desperation).

Merlin1958
12-10-2011, 04:04 PM
I very much prize my S/L Black House maybe, because it was my first S/L, but I really like it and the story is one of my King favorites. I can see your point though in retrospect. I have a feeling the new "IT" will be going to the number one spot with a bullet!!

herbertwest
12-10-2011, 05:12 PM
About ugly sig lim books .....
Never forget the one and only sig lim GERMAN Stephen King Book DUDDITS :ghost_002:

Duddits Stephen King limited to 25 signed Ullstein HC.
Only one difference between the normal HC and the sig lim Book.
In the signed book the signatur is on WHITE page, in all other ´normal´ hc´s is this page GREEN

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=160584955&imageType=image

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=149796704&imageType=image

cant see those pictures?

edit. its weird, I now see them in MY post that quotes yours..

Merlin1958
12-10-2011, 05:15 PM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8956/skcollection013.jpg

jhanic
12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a feeling the new "IT" will be going to the number one spot with a bullet!!

It's going to have to go quite a long way to best the s/l Stand.

John

Randall Flagg
05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
The Betts "House Next Door" is the worst. Almost no content from King, and aside from King's signature it is an ugly orphan. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=House+Next+Door+The+-+S+L+Betts

Ben Mears
05-16-2012, 01:40 PM
I have a feeling the new "IT" will be going to the number one spot with a bullet!!

John

Neither can touch the 'Salem's Lot deluxe limited!

AKC
05-16-2012, 03:40 PM

John

Neither can touch the 'Salem's Lot deluxe limited!

AGREED

Randall Flagg
05-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Ok. But this thread is about the worst, not the best. The best would likely be discussed in the
Your Personal Collectible-Top-X-List (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11779-Your-Personal-Collectible-Top-X-List)

AKC
05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Sorry RF.....my bad.

:confused1:

Randall Flagg
05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Sorry RF.....my bad.

All hugs, I just hate to even hear Redactedetc. even mentioned in this thread..:grouphug:

Merlin1958
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Sorry RF.....my bad.

All hugs, I just hate to even hear The Stand, 'Salem's Lot etc. even mentioned in this thread..:grouphug:

And then you go and mention them!!! LOL LOL LOL

For Shame, El Jefe!!!! :P

Randall Flagg
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Redacted.

Merlin1958
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Redacted.

LOL Good form, El Jefe!!!! Good form!!!

Brice
05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
But you quoted him Bill so the redacted books are still in the thread. LOL

Shannon
05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Ha, can't redact it once quoted! :)

Merlin1958
05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
But you quoted him Bill so the redacted books are still in the thread. LOL

That's on him, not me!!!! LOL LOL

:razz:

Brice
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
LOL

divemaster
05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
The Betts "House Next Door" is the worst. Almost no content from King, and aside from King's signature it is an ugly orphan. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=House+Next+Door+The+-+S+L+Betts

I have the lettered hardbound calfskin release of this title. The only lettered King signature I own. So it has a warm spot in my heart. But I agree the paperback is not much to speak of. I have no desire to own it.

I think this title really struck a nerve with King and that's why he agreed to sign it. He sure mentions it a lot (and very favorably) in Danse Macabre. One of these days I'll actually have to read it!

barlow
05-26-2013, 10:07 PM
I'd say Under the Dome is the worse of the two. I like the DJ and pictorial boards of 11/22/63, so it differs from the regular trade. More so than UTD did.

I know this is an old thread but I just came across it! I was very disappointed with UTD when I received my copy. The announcement for it said it would have a tray case and a special biding. It has been awhile but I believe they made it sound like it would be different from the gift edition, then when it arrived it was the gift edition with a signature sheet! I guess they screwed around and ran out of time. The 11/22/63 edition which I, like a lot of others, got screwed on and still have not picked up. This one reminds me of a per abound library book or a text book, which I think is kind of disappointing as well. Of course that is just a disappointment due to not liking the design, $150.00 was about right for it!

Robert Fulman
05-27-2013, 04:58 AM
I wasn't around for UtD, but I thought the announcement said it would have a "stamped case". I think a lot of people assumed that meant slipcase or traycase, but the "case" of a hardcover book is made up of the boards and spine. I have 11/22/63, and I think it's far from the worst S/L I've ever seen. In particular, the fold-out dust jacket is worth a few extra points.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-27-2013, 05:52 AM
I wasn't around for UtD, but I thought the announcement said it would have a "stamped case". I think a lot of people assumed that meant slipcase or traycase, but the "case" of a hardcover book is made up of the boards and spine. I have 11/22/63, and I think it's far from the worst S/L I've ever seen. In particular, the fold-out dust jacket is worth a few extra points.

The "Stamped Case" comment; It's the case the limited edition character cards are housed in.

As for 11/22/63...... I think the jacket did put that one over the top. Yes, it would have been nice for a tipped in limitation page, but if you married the limited with one of Thomas's 11/22/63 case, it stands out in my closet very nicely. When I show people the book and case, it still brings on the wow factor to the spectator.

Mulleins

barlow
05-27-2013, 09:34 AM

The "Stamped Case" comment; It's the case the limited edition character cards are housed in.

As for 11/22/63...... I think the jacket did put that one over the top. Yes, it would have been nice for a tipped in limitation page, but if you married the limited with one of Thomas's 11/22/63 case, it stands out in my closet very nicely. When I show people the book and case, it still brings on the wow factor to the spectator.

Mulleins

I haven't seen a copy yet other than pictures. Is there no limitation sheet, not even a plank sheet of paper like UTD? If not where is it signed?

Ken

barlow
05-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks, Robert and Caretaker. Either of you guys have confirmation that that was what they were talking about?

Ken

Robert Fulman
05-27-2013, 12:33 PM
For 11/22/63, the signature is on a blank page.

Unless Ralph has an official confirmation about the box the cards come in, I'm pretty sure that the "stamped case" refers to the fact that the front board has a dog stamped (reverse embossed?) on it::

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/541/utdcover.jpg

becca69
05-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Unless Ralph has an official confirmation about the box the cards come in, I'm pretty sure that the "stamped case" refers to the fact that the front board has a dog stamped (reverse embossed?) on it::

This is true. I contacted the publisher because I had expected a slipcase and was told that the "case" or boards were stamped with that dog.

barlow
05-27-2013, 02:51 PM

This is true. I contacted the publisher because I had expected a slipcase and was told that the "case" or boards were stamped with that dog.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who was expecting a slipcase or traycase.

Ken

Room 217 Caretaker
05-27-2013, 03:11 PM
No official notice....I've just never heard of book "boards" called "case" before. So I guess I shouldn't assume the stamped case holding the cards is what the publisher is calling the stamped case.

I actually forgot the stamped fido on the front.

Mulleins

Robert Fulman
05-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Case: The cover of a book that consists of two boards, an inlay, and covering material. In a commercial bindery, the case is usually made separately from the text block and later attached to the text block later in a step called casing-in. (LBI Standard, Glossary, p.13)
(Source: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/preserve/binding/glossary.htm)

And now you know (and knowing is half the battle.)

Room 217 Caretaker
05-27-2013, 04:40 PM
I love education :biggrin:

Brice
05-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Me too, but I doubt many outside the book manufacturing world would think that's what was intended by case.

harrison ryan
05-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Case: The cover of a book that consists of two boards, an inlay, and covering material. In a commercial bindery, the case is usually made separately from the text block and later attached to the text block later in a step called casing-in. (LBI Standard, Glossary, p.13)
(Source: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/preserve/binding/glossary.htm)

And now you know (and knowing is half the battle.)

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Robert Fulman again." I love education, too.

barlow
05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
No official notice....I've just never heard of book "boards" called "case" before. So I guess I shouldn't assume the stamped case holding the cards is what the publisher is calling the stamped case.

I actually forgot the stamped fido on the front.

Mulleins

You know I actually knew the boards and cloth was called that, it just didn't click in my head. Probably just wishful thinking on my part. I still think the should have done more to differentiate the limited from the gift, even if it was just a different color cloth and a printed limitation page.

Jimimck
05-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Regarding UTD, I have the UK limited edition, and love it. Even though I don't have the US version, I'd vote for that just because they didn't bother with the signature page and slipcase that everyone was expecting...

hyraxia
05-27-2013, 11:00 PM
It was typically used around the turn of the last century - a case-bound book would be basically boards as opposed to wraps, which were for the paupers.

Randall Flagg
12-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Any new nominations?

needfulthings
12-06-2014, 02:19 PM
THIS PUBLICATION JUST STINKS (Did you ever try to hold your nose and turn pages at the same time?:angry:)
http://imageshack.com/a/img911/4660/tCCEIB.jpg
THIS BOOK SHOULD HAVE CAME WITH A BAG OF KITTY-LITTER.(I HAVE CAUGHT MY CATS TRYING TO BURY IT...THREE TIMES)

Randall Flagg
02-13-2021, 03:38 PM
Newer members, any members, do you have something else to mention?

Shannon
02-13-2021, 05:13 PM

anyonegotatmsg?

Randall Flagg
02-13-2021, 05:16 PM

anyonegotatmsg?
Lots of people have one, but no one will sell to an infidel in the SK collecting world.:P

Brian861
02-17-2021, 02:02 PM
The lettered The Regulators. Gaudy AF.

webstar1000
02-17-2021, 02:12 PM

That’s the most insane thing I’ve ever heard. The minute I held that I my hand... I was blown away by the craftsmanship and artistry of it. If you have not held this book... you would understand. Gaudy? I have never heard someone say that About this book. Like never.

Randall Flagg
02-17-2021, 03:04 PM

That’s the most insane thing I’ve ever heard. The minute I held that I my hand... I was blown away by the craftsmanship and artistry of it. If you have not held this book... you would understand. Gaudy? I have never heard someone say that About this book. Like never.
I agree with you webstar. The book is the polar opposite of "worst" or gaudy.

Randall Flagg
02-17-2021, 03:04 PM
I'd send Brian861 negative rep, except I like him.

Brian861
02-17-2021, 03:35 PM
I'd send Brian861 negative rep, except I like him.

:lol: Thanks, boss. I appreciate it. :)

Cook
02-17-2021, 05:30 PM
Blockade Billy
gwendy's w/the coin..

In my opinion both were a total waste of time.
(but that's my opinion)

Merlin1958
02-17-2021, 06:42 PM

It's just cause he doesn't have one!! LOL LOL

Brian861
02-18-2021, 05:53 PM

It's just cause he doesn't have one!! LOL LOL

I'll gladly take a S/L of it though :)

shaq
02-19-2021, 02:21 AM
Negative rep me. Its tacky!!

Any limited with chadbourne attached that nothing to do with him... on the flip side, I like my sl's that he is officially associated with. Colorado Kid especially. Dark Man too.

DoctorZaius
02-19-2021, 08:30 AM
Blockade Billy
gwendy's w/the coin..

In my opinion both were a total waste of time.
(but that's my opinion)

The novelty of the baseball card saves Billy - the coin, not so much.

Splync
02-23-2021, 10:59 AM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the bullets imbedded in the cover. I really like the use of the checks for the signatures and limitations, but those bullets just seem silly to me.

I've never seen a copy in person though, so maybe it's just the pictures doing it justice.

The same goes for any edition where the publisher attaches an object to the cover, in my opinion. Charnel House tacked a leveler to the cover of one of their publications and it just looks horrible.

That's about as scandalous as I'll get here, haha...

Brian861
02-23-2021, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the bullets embedded in the cover. I really like the use of the checks for the signatures and limitations, but those bullets just seem silly to me.

That's my gripe with it as well. I love the use of the checks too. The reason I'd be more than happy with a S/L.

Randall Flagg
02-23-2021, 11:32 AM
I think Charnel House did a great job with Last Call, which featured a tarot card to designate the letter, and gambling chips.

Alec
02-23-2021, 12:04 PM
I would agree with Jerome.
Last Call by Charnel House is a beautiful piece of art and bindery, so much so that they refused to tray case it so it was never hidden from view. That is what I heard and right or wrong I rather like the idea. I believe it was the recipient of awards for the design.
The only design I do not like is one that renders the book incapable of being placed ‘flush’ in a line of books. Or is so ridiculously large it requires a special height shelf space to accommodate it.
As regards the lettered Regulators it seems there are decidedly ‘like or dislike’, very clear defining views. However if I chose dislike in line with someone else, that would make both of us wrong!!

Splync
02-23-2021, 04:38 PM
I would agree with Jerome.
Last Call by Charnel House is a beautiful piece of art and bindery, so much so that they refused to tray case it so it was never hidden from view. That is what I heard and right or wrong I rather like the idea. I believe it was the recipient of awards for the design.
The only design I do not like is one that renders the book incapable of being placed ‘flush’ in a line of books. Or is so ridiculously large it requires a special height shelf space to accommodate it.
As regards the lettered Regulators it seems there are decidedly ‘like or dislike’, very clear defining views. However if I chose dislike in line with someone else, that would make both of us wrong!!

I had not seen their edition of Last Call, but that one looks acceptable.

I suppose your point about things being flush is in line with my own views. To me, having something jutting out of the book is more of a distraction than a feature.

Not that I would be reading the Lettered Regulators if I owned it, but I like to have the option to comfortably read it regardless! ;-)

The tarot card and poker chips are thin enough that I imagine they can be imbedded in the cover without being detrimental to reading the book.

Randall Flagg
02-23-2021, 04:52 PM
Start with post #252 (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?503-Book-Collection-Randall-Flagg&p=609292&highlight=Call#post609292)

lotuz
02-24-2021, 11:23 AM
Charnel House pioneered the art of embedding things in the front boards. I mean, I'm sure they weren't the first, but they definitely took it to a new level. You can draw a pretty direct line from what Joe started doing in the early 1990's to the lettered Misery in 2018, and for that, if nothing else, I'm grateful!

That said, there have been a mix over the years of incredible hits: tarot cards and poker chips in Last Call, garters in The New Neighbor, bullets in The Regulators (put me in the "like" camp for this one, though it's one of my unacquired grails still), and mortuary toe tags in Appointment on Sunset, as well as some significant misses: a level and a CD, for example, and I couldn't even tell you the books because I didn't buy them...

webstar1000
02-24-2021, 11:32 AM
Regulator lettered sucks but we don't talk about ones like the Bag of Bones S/L? hahahah yeahhhhhhhhhhhh ok! COME ON PEOPLE!

Brian861
02-24-2021, 12:09 PM
Regulator lettered sucks but we don't talk about ones like the Bag of Bones S/L? hahahah yeahhhhhhhhhhhh ok! COME ON PEOPLE!

Just a bookplate in a trade, right?

Randall Flagg
02-24-2021, 12:21 PM

Just a bookplate in a trade, right?
Yes, but the price was very low.

Hunchback Jack
02-24-2021, 12:28 PM
Along those lines, some of the S/Ls by large publishers are a little lackluster. The UK S/Ls from Hodder and Stoughton come to mind.

I like them, don't get me wrong - they are the main S/Ls, I collect, in fact - but some of them are little more than a trade edition with a signature plate, no jacket, and a slipcase. (Having said that, others are quite nice indeed).

A US S/L along the same lines is the Scribner 11/22/63. Again, I have and like this edition, and it has some nice extras, but fundamentally it's a trade edition in different clothing. (It doesn't help that quality control and care in packing and shipping for this edition was somewhat lacking)

webstar1000
02-24-2021, 12:33 PM
Along those lines, some of the S/Ls by large publishers are a little lackluster. The UK S/Ls from Hodder and Stoughton come to mind.

I like them, don't get me wrong - they are the main S/Ls, I collect, in fact - but some of them are little more than a trade edition with a signature plate, no jacket, and a slipcase. (Having said that, others are quite nice indeed).

A US S/L along the same lines is the Scribner 11/22/63. Again, I have and like this edition, and it has some nice extras, but fundamentally it's a trade edition in different clothing. (It doesn't help that quality control and care in packing and shipping for this edition was somewhat lacking)

Agreed.. SO many lackluster S/L's... NO offence to the others but sitting her reading comments slamming a lettered like Regulators when there is COUNTLESS other shit thats been put out... LOL is just sad to read:(

Splync
02-24-2021, 01:27 PM

Agreed.. SO many lackluster S/L's... NO offence to the others but sitting her reading comments slamming a lettered like Regulators when there is COUNTLESS other shit thats been put out... LOL is just sad to read:(

Yeah, but those are still comfortably readable, despite being unimaginative.

And I also feel like there is a difference between "signed trade with a fresh coat of paint" and a publication that is specifically designed to stand alone as a S/L or numbered/lettered edition.

Hunchback Jack
02-24-2021, 07:19 PM
Agree with that last - which is why I collect them. They are still limited in number and usually differ from the trade edition in some positive regard.