PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Movies of 2010

Yaksha
12-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Figured this would be a good thing since the end of the year is coming up.Top 5 favorite movies of the year.

1.Inception
What can I say that hasn't been said. A simply beautiful movie on every level.

2.Shutter Island
I know I have said it before, but a freaky, insane, gloriously twisted movie

3.The Town.
What Ben Affleck did with this movie was simply amazing. The acting, the directing everything in this movie was superb.

4.The Expendables
Its a Slyvester Stallone action movies with big action stars that actually has a decent plot. Enjoy for explosions or simple asskickery

5.Machete.
Just mindless bloody fanservice for fans of Robert Rodriguez. Also Danny Trejo delivered my favorite movie quote of the year "Machete dont text."

Darkthoughts
12-27-2010, 03:50 AM
Does it have to be movies that came out this year, or any that you watched this year?

fernandito
12-27-2010, 08:54 AM
I think it's films released this year , emulating 2009's thread ...

My Top 5 of 2010

5. Toy Story 3
4. Shutter Island
3. Black Swan
2. The Social Network
1. Inception

haunted.lunchbox
12-27-2010, 12:03 PM
I want to see black swan so bad!

Yaksha
12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
it is movies that came out this year

Mattrick
12-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I've only seen a handful of movies so this is by no means comprehensive.

1. Inception - I by no means think is movie is godly like many do but it was a good film. I'm sure I could have seen some more oscar contenders (127 Hours, Black Swan) this wouldn't be number one. It's all presented nicely and the casting was spot on. Hopefully we'll see more of Joseph Gordon-Levitt now.

2. The Social Network - Finally a good biopic that isn't so damn stereotypical. Eisenberg plays Zutterberg perfectly, as someone who has trouble relating to others and having good social skills, who created the social network. Not Finchers best movie but damn close.

3. The American - I really enjoyed this movie. Clooney was very reserved. What a lovely backdrop and it's beautifully reserved. Supporting cast is all good. Keep in mind, it's very slow and brooding.

4. Kick-Ass - Wasn't expecting the movie to be how it was but it was great. A great representation of modern society. Nicholas Cage started the road to redemption but with his up coming DRIVE ANGRY!!!!!!! THREE DEE!!! he's going to ruin it.

5. Dear John - This is on here mainly because it surprised the hell out of me. Had to see it on a date and didn't think Seyfreid or Tatum had the chops for the movie. Both were good but the real gem of the movie was Richard Jenkins who was just great. Shame he'll get overlooked for the oscars.

Comedy of the Year: Date Night

Animated Movie of the year: Toy Story 3

Action of the year: Machete

Top 10 Movies I've seen this year (released before 2010)

1. Little Children
2. Raging Bull
3. Paths of Glory
4. Dr. Strangelove
5. The Conversation
6. Up In The Air
7. Children of Men
8. 500 Days of Summer
9. Moon
10. Funny Games

Worst movie of the year:
http://kidstelly.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tooth-fairy-poster-0.jpg
The poster is all you need to see to know that. I ain't fakin, I smell what The Rock is bakin'...and it smells like shit.

fernandito
12-27-2010, 02:27 PM
I've come to like Kick-Ass less and less with each subsequent viewing, and this is coming from a huge fan of the graphic novel. Save for a handful of set pieces, the film is awfully stagnant and the comics dark humor didn't have a smooth transition.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Here are my top 10 (so far) for 2010. And I had to leave 9 runner-ups off the list!

1. INCEPTION
2. THE BOOK OF ELI
3. SALT
4. SKYLINE
5. HEREAFTER
6. LET ME IN
7. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON (3D)
8. RESIDENT EVIL AFTERLIFE (3D)
9. THE AMERICAN
10. NOWHERE BOY

kluker
12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
My Top Five are:

5.Date Night
4.Toy Story 3
3.Bounty Hunter
2.Grown Ups
1.Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

candy
12-28-2010, 02:44 AM
i started the year off well watching the new releases but RL caught up and i havent seen any released at the back end, so mine are all early 2010 (sorry)

1. Inception - wonderful little film with a fab story line to match the effects (not very often that happens, its normally one or the other)

2. Shutter Island - thoughful film that i wasn't expecting to like

3. Avatar (it didnt come out here till 2010) haven't re seen it since the i saw it at the cinema, but i thought it was wonderful

4. Book Of Eli

5. How to Train your dragon

The weirdest thing of all is that if you had told me in 2009 that my 2 favourite films of the year would star Leonardo DeCaprio i would have laughed you out of the room!!!

Still Servant
12-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I will hold off on my list until after I see True Grit, which will be later on today.

I'm sure you are all on the edge of your seats.

pathoftheturtle
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I will hold off on my list until after I see True Grit...That's just what I was thinking.

Of those I've seen, some of my faves are --

Nowhere Boy
Winter's Bone
Inception
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

fernandito
12-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Mike - I was going to do the same, but ... damnit ! It's a list ! I can't resist the fill out a list there and then if I can ! :lol:

haunted.lunchbox
12-28-2010, 02:35 PM
I've heard good things about True Grit, but it doesn't seem like my kind of story. I don't really like cowboys or westerns. However, the newer version of 3:10 to Yuma is one of my favorites.

fernandito
12-28-2010, 02:44 PM
I actually got heavily into westerns after I completed TDT series. Well, manically obsessed is more like it. I watched every single one of Clint Eastwood's westerns in the span of about one month (thanks Netflix), and then I systematically hunted down all of the 'important' westerns. They're one of my favorite genres.

pathoftheturtle
12-28-2010, 02:47 PM
I've heard good things about True Grit, but it doesn't seem like my kind of story. I don't really like cowboys or westerns. However, the newer version of 3:10 to Yuma is one of my favorites.:lol: You've blindsided me with paradoxes like this before.

Generally speaking, I do like westerns. However, I usually don't like remakes. True Grit will probably be an exception, though. As great as the 1969 film was, it was very much a product of its time, and I've always wanted to see a more authentic treatment of the novel.

haunted.lunchbox
12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I think I like 3:10 so much not for the western element, but how well the characters are portrayed. I can only remember the names of the actors, so I will use them for my example. Russel Crowe was the villain, yet he was the most likable character. Christian Bale, the hero, was a little cry baby that threw mantrums, Ben Foster (Charlie Prince) was amazing in his determination and loyalty, I hear his character is meant to be gay, but they didn't say it in the movie because they didn't want negative attention... I think of him as gay.

fernandito
12-28-2010, 05:55 PM
I think I like 3:10 so much not for the western element, but how well the characters are portrayed.

I can only remember the names of the actors, so I will use them for my example.

Does not compute. :lol:

haunted.lunchbox
12-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Hey, it's been a while.

Mattrick
12-28-2010, 07:13 PM
The weirdest thing of all is that if you had told me in 2009 that my 2 favourite films of the year would star Leonardo DeCaprio i would have laughed you out of the room!!!

but DiCaprio is so awesome. What's so weird about that? Guys always been awesome.

Still Servant
12-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I know I'm breaking the rules, but 5 just ain't enough. If you are a stickler for rules, just stop reading after five.

1) Inception - One of the great movie experiences I've ever witnessed. A true original film, a breath of fresh air in today's cinematic landscape. I feel cooler for seeing it.

2) Toy Story 3 - A nostalgic trip down memory lane. Maybe the perfect animated film.

3) The Social Network - Smart, funny, engaging, well scripted, perfectly acted, timely. Need I say more?

4) The Town - One of the better heist films in recent memory. Ben Affleck proves he's no one-hit-wonder behind the camera. Includes a powerhouse performance from Jeremy Renner.

5) Kick-Ass - A bloody, violent good time. One of the more fun times I had at the movies all year. Chloe Moretz gives a jaw dropping performance as the foul mouthed, ass kicking Hit-Girl.

6) True Grit - The Cohen's do it again with a picture perfect Western. Outstanding performances from Bridges, Damon and newcomer Hailee Steinfeld.

7) Ghost Writer - An underrated thriller. I know some were put off by the slow pace, but I felt it added to the suspense.

8) The Other Guys - The best comedy of the year. Hollywood has really messed up the buddy cop genre. The Other Guys manges to bring it back by spoofing it. Michael Keaton steals the show.

9) Easy A - I heart Emma Stone. It's pretty rare to see a teenage girl be portrayed as smart, witty and strong in a Hollywood film. Easy A has that and more. The film that will make Emma Stone a star.

10) How to Train Your Dragon - It's easy to get overlooked when you are an animated film that comes out in the same year as Toy Story 3, but Dragon is a must see. It's a heartwarming adventure that children and grownups alike will be sure to enjoy.

I thought this was a great year for film and that's not counting all of the other great films that I still need to see. Including: 127 Hours, Black Swan, The Fighter, Animal Kingdom, Let Me In, Despicable Me, The King's Speech, The Kids are Alright, The Tillman Story, Waiting for Superman Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and many more I'm sure.

Lot's of good cinema in my future.

Jean
12-29-2010, 04:56 AM
7) Ghost Writer - An underrated thriller. I know some were put off by the slow pace, but I felt it added to the suspense.
This, absolutely. The only film bears can list for this year. Hopefully, when I finally get around to seeing Inception, my list will grow by 100%. Shutter Island was a huge disappointment, and I don't think I've seen anything else people have on their lists.

fernandito
12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Gaaaaah, I need to watch True Grit dammit ! Hopefully tonight.

haunted.lunchbox
12-29-2010, 09:42 AM
How to Train your Dragon was entertaining, but not a top movie...

Yaksha
12-29-2010, 01:12 PM
watched True Grit. Was awesome

Still Servant
12-29-2010, 02:47 PM
How to Train your Dragon was entertaining, but not a top movie...

A 98% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a possible Oscar nomination says otherwise...

JRM
12-29-2010, 05:09 PM
I haven't seen a lot of movies this year (missing notable films like True Grit and Black Swan, among others), but from those I have seen:

5. Kick-Ass -- Hilarious, intense, stylish; one heck of an entertaining flick.
4. Toy Story 3 -- A great finale to one of the world's most beloved trilogies.
3. Scott Pilgrim VS The World -- Very unique, underrated comedy gem most will discover on DVD.
2. The Social Network -- A well-written, well-directed, well-acted piece of cinematic greatness.
1. INCEPTION -- Extraordinary film. Will go down in history as one of sci-fi's greats.

Mattrick
12-30-2010, 12:06 PM
This, absolutely. The only film bears can list for this year. Hopefully, when I finally get around to seeing Inception, my list will grow by 100%. Shutter Island was a huge disappointment, and I don't think I've seen anything else people have on their lists.

Shutter Island was well made and acted and Scorcese crafted a beautiful mood from his sets and music but I feel the movie didn't deliver in terms of plot. I guessed the ending in the first scene. I do love the final shot of the movie though; felt that was extremely chilling. I rated it 8/10 for being nicely crafted and if a lesser director had that movie, it would have been a five or a six surely. My favourite aspect of the movie were the flashback sequences.

Mattrick
12-30-2010, 12:08 PM
A 98% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a possible Oscar nomination says otherwise...

Finding Nemo was the same thing and I thought that movie was drivel. I only saw second half of How to Train Your Dragon and it seemed enjoyable.

pathoftheturtle
12-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I haven't seen HTTYD, but I will get it immediately if it's equal to Nemo.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Saw THE KING'S SPEECH today (movie number 125 seen at theaters this year), and my Top 10 list remains the same. Not Best Picture worthy IMHO.

mystima
12-31-2010, 02:02 AM
I actually got heavily into westerns after I completed TDT series. Well, manically obsessed is more like it. I watched every single one of Clint Eastwood's westerns in the span of about one month (thanks Netflix), and then I systematically hunted down all of the 'important' westerns. They're one of my favorite genres.

have you seen Yojimbo. It was made by Akira Kurosawa. It is the film that inspired the Clint Eastwood film "A Fist Full of Dollars."

Jean
12-31-2010, 02:24 AM
... and it is absolutely fantastic!

alinda
12-31-2010, 04:50 AM
I too am waiting for Netflix to send Inception (up next)
Shutter Island was for me ....meh.

I think theyre the only 2010 films I have seen. OOps!
I saw Ther girl with the dragon tattoo. also meh

fernandito
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
*Bump

Come on, I want to see some more lists ! :D

Yaksha
01-03-2011, 04:28 PM
yeah. More lists!

kluker
01-03-2011, 05:32 PM
After watching some movies I think I may have to change my list :)

1.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt1
2.Shutter Island, I absolutly loved this movie I preticerly loved the ending cause I honestly didn't see it coming.
3.Grown Ups
4.Date Night
5.How To Train Your Dragon
6.Toy Story 3
7.Vampires Suck
8.Dear John(I think it came out 2010 anyways)
9.law Abiding Citizen
10.Gamer
11.Invention of lying

JRM
01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I too am waiting for Netflix to send Inception (up next)
Shutter Island was for me ....meh.

I think theyre the only 2010 films I have seen. OOps!
I saw Ther girl with the dragon tattoo. also meh

I too thought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was 'meh'. I don't get the critical acclaim for that film. I was bored out of my mind through most of it, and I didn't care about the story at all. Ironically, I'm looking forward to Fincher's American adaption. I'm usually against adaptions like this, but because I didn't care for the Swedish version of Dragon Tattoo and have been very impressed with Fincher's Zodiac and The Social Network, I'm looking forward to see how he could make this movie better. Because I do see some potential.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-04-2011, 02:38 AM
THE INVENTION OF LYING was a 2009 movie, and it was my choice for best picture of the year, so it was nominated for - absolutely nothing!

I agree wih the blase comments about THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, it was just missing something.

RainInSpain
01-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Can you pinpoint what it was that you think was missing from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movie?

I'm just curious as I enjoyed all 3 movies in the series (1st and 3rd films more than the 2nd one). They are not a timeless masterpiece, of course, but I liked how they were not really Hollywood-y, and gave a good feel of Sweden (I was instantly transported back there). It will be interesting to see the American remake/adaptation - I wonder how much of that atmosphere, if any, will be preserved.

On another note, I cannot even begin to say how I loved How To Train Your Dragon - it's looking to be one of my favorite animated movies. If I had to compare it to Nemo, I'd say that I prefer HTTYD.

(I'm not making a list :lol: I never watch enough movies to justify it.)

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I loved HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, and the nice thing was I had absolutely no expectations for the movie, in fact I thought I would probably not like it. Did I just contradict myself? Oh well. In other words, it took me completely by surprise, and I love when that happens at the movies.

Dragon Tattoo - Well, I kind of did like it, but I think what put me off was the English dubbing. It was very jarring. I prefer to watch foreign language movies with sub-titles so I can at least get the inflections in the actor's voices. I see why they did the dubbing though, because subtitles would have been onscreen such a short time it would have been difficult, or almost impossible, to read them. Also, and this is purely a personal nitpick of mine, I could not look at the girl's face whenever she was onscreen, for I find piercings extremely distasteful to observe. I'm not against them, I just don't care for them.

kluker
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
opps :lol: I didn't even hear about invention of lying till '10 so I always thought it was

JRM
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Can you pinpoint what it was that you think was missing from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movie?

I'm just curious as I enjoyed all 3 movies in the series (1st and 3rd films more than the 2nd one). They are not a timeless masterpiece, of course, but I liked how they were not really Hollywood-y, and gave a good feel of Sweden (I was instantly transported back there).

I do think Dragon Tattoo got a little better near the end. But among the biggest issues I had with it was the pacing--it felt looooong. I don't mind slow-paced films as long as I find them engrossing; Zodiac is a good example. I felt there was too much 'everyone hates women' themes going on -- it was heavy-handed. I mean at one point Lisbeth was just walking through the subway if I remember correctly and some dude randomly ran into her. It's like the whole world was against her for some reason. And I just didn't care about the story. I'm not even sure the revelation near the end was a twist; I didn't care. I do think the actress was fantastic, though. I just didn't like the movie she was in.

RainInSpain
01-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Dragon Tattoo - Well, I kind of did like it, but I think what put me off was the English dubbing. It was very jarring. I prefer to watch foreign language movies with sub-titles so I can at least get the inflections in the actor's voices. I see why they did the dubbing though, because subtitles would have been onscreen such a short time it would have been difficult, or almost impossible, to read them. Also, and this is purely a personal nitpick of mine, I could not look at the girl's face whenever she was onscreen, for I find piercings extremely distasteful to observe. I'm not against them, I just don't care for them.

I have not heard the English dubbing, but the Russian one that was used for these movies here was OK, at least I did not notice any particular problems with it. But I can very well understand how bad dubbing can ruin a movie - along with terrible translations this happens here, too.

I do think Dragon Tattoo got a little better near the end. But among the biggest issues I had with it was the pacing--it felt looooong. I don't mind slow-paced films as long as I find them engrossing; Zodiac is a good example. I felt there was too much 'everyone hates women' themes going on -- it was heavy-handed. I mean at one point Lisbeth was just walking through the subway if I remember correctly and some dude randomly ran into her. It's like the whole world was against her for some reason. And I just didn't care about the story. I'm not even sure the revelation near the end was a twist; I didn't care. I do think the actress was fantastic, though. I just didn't like the movie she was in.

Interesting that you were put off by the slow pace - that's one of the things that I enjoyed. To me, the movies felt more realistic thanks to it - I guess I saw them more as a glimpse into the life of people rather than something with a plot.
As to hating - to a great extent it's true that the world around Lisbeth was against her, with very few exceptions. So little things like someone running into her were just finishing touches. I have not noticed the gender card being played that prominently, to me it looked more like showing how society in general and specific people in particular reject or abuse someone who is not only different, but different 'in a wrong way'. Anyway, that's how I felt after reading the books and watching the movies.
I do agree with you about Noomi Rapace - she's fantastic, and very natural in this role.

Mattrick
01-08-2011, 05:35 AM
I don't have much interest in those movie at all. They just seem like they would be alright and nothing special. I try to avoid those movies when I voluntarily watch one as they end up kind of listless after.

Mattrick
01-08-2011, 05:44 AM
7.Vampires Suck

Seriously? Like, really? Vampires Suck?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/vampires-suck-20100826

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-08-2011, 06:02 AM
I was surprised by how much I liked VAMPIRES SUCK. It had some classless jokes, but on the whole I found myself laughing, which I rarely do at so called comedys lately, which are just a series of bathroom and gross-out 'jokes' strung together.

I wouldn't put VS on my top 10 or 20 list, but I still enjoyed it.

Mattrick
01-08-2011, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't watch that movie for all the weed in the world...Date Movie was seriously bad enough and I only watched that because I was sick and didn't really care. I know Twilight Sucks, I don't need to see an unfunny, unimaginative and unoriginal movie filled with current event pop culture jokes that will be irrelevant in ten years and the movie, to future movie watches, will seem even more redundant and unfunny as it does today. Problem is these piece of shit movies keep turning a profit because teenagers keep paying to see them and the studios will keep greenlighting them. Vampires suck managed to double it's money in box office so you can be rest assured another Freidburg and Seltzer shifest is on it's way this year.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Well, comedy is a funny thing. DATE MOVIE was bad, I agree.

Mattrick
01-08-2011, 09:22 PM
This was a pretty bad year for comedies. A few decent ones, nothing standing out, really. Date Night was probably comedy of the year.

pathoftheturtle
01-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't watch that movie for all the weed in the world...Date Movie was seriously bad enough and I only watched that because I was sick and didn't really care. I know Twilight Sucks, I don't need to see an unfunny, unimaginative and unoriginal movie filled with current event pop culture jokes that will be irrelevant in ten years and the movie, to future movie watches, will seem even more redundant and unfunny as it does today. Problem is these piece of shit movies keep turning a profit because teenagers keep paying to see them and the studios will keep greenlighting them. Vampires suck managed to double it's money in box office so you can be rest assured another Freidburg and Seltzer shifest is on it's way this year.Totally. Parody of genre movies has become a movie genre. :wtf:

Heather19
01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
5. The Town

4. Machete

3. Shutter Island

2. Inception

1. Black Swan

I was holding off on making my list until I had seen Black Swan and True Grit. Well I finally saw the first and it instantly became my favorite :) I still have to see True Grit but I'm not sure it could top any of those that I already have listed.

strungoutboy21
01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
1. Inception
2. The Fighter
3. Black Swan
4. True Grit
5. Shutter Island

Jean
07-20-2011, 04:19 AM
if everything goes well, bears will at last be watching Black Swan tonight

Heather19
07-20-2011, 05:40 AM
:excited: You're gonna love it Jean!

Jean
07-20-2011, 05:43 AM
I have no doubt about this

fernandito
07-20-2011, 08:32 AM
*Edit*

Nevermind.

Seymour_Glass
07-24-2011, 10:51 PM
No order for me, thanks.

Inception
Shutter Island
Black Swan
The Social Network
The Ghost Writer

Seymour_Glass
07-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Aw, gawdammit, Scott Pilgrim!

Jean
07-25-2011, 12:43 AM
No order for me, thanks.

Inception
Shutter Island
Black Swan
The Social Network
The Ghost Writer
seems like these two will be on my list... have to do more watching, though: I have high hopes for King's Speech.

DoctorDodge
07-25-2011, 01:10 AM
No order for me, thanks.

Inception
Shutter Island
Black Swan
The Social Network
The Ghost Writer

I still need to watch most of those. Especially The Ghost Writer, since my relatively newfound appreciation of Polanski. Of those, I've only seen Inception and Black Swan. Need to rectify that asap.

Aw, gawdammit, Scott Pilgrim!

:thumbsup: Although it didn't make your top 5, I am glad to see that Scott Pilgrim got a mention!

Jean
07-25-2011, 01:21 AM
I still need to watch most of those. Especially The Ghost Writer, since my relatively newfound appreciation of Polanski. dying to find out whether you'll end up with feverish and Heather, or with Melike, Seymour and bears on this one. Think will post a review in the nearest future, long overdue. A pretext for yet another re-watch, too...

Seymour_Glass
07-25-2011, 03:03 PM
The Ghost Writer is just immaculate. Roman Polanski could probably direct a first-rate thriller in his sleep.

Jean
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

DoctorDodge
07-26-2011, 03:10 AM
Ok, I'm posting a list. Whilst I've yet to watch Shutter Island and The Social Network, films i definitely need to get round to actually watching, these are definitely, imo, some of the best films of last year:

The Ghost
Inception
Black Swan
Scott Pilgrim Versus the World
Four Lions

I'm pretty sure I forgot to suggest the last one on the Baker's Dozen list of best British films. Shit! Absolutely loved this film! One of the most quotable films in the past ten years!

"So what is he, is he a martyr, or is he a fucking jalfrezi?!?" :rofl:

Seymour_Glass
07-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I'll check out this For Lions flick.

DoctorDodge
07-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Please do, Seymour. To be honest, I don't think it's a film that many Brits have heard of either, but it's certainly a film that would be on my top ten favourite comedies. Let me know what you think when you do watch it. Completely different to any other film on my top 5 2010 list of course, but then, I don't think any film on that list could be compared to another, they're all so different! :lol:

Jean
07-27-2011, 02:05 AM
fuck, now Four Lions appears out of nowhere. What do you all think my to-watch list is - inflatable ad infinitum?

DoctorDodge
07-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Oh, just to be clear, it's Four Lions. And remember, I'm a proud British bastard - someone's got to point out all the great British films that get so easily overlooked, after all!

Jean
07-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Yes. Four Lions. Doesn't make the task easier.

DoctorDodge
07-27-2011, 05:49 AM
Oh believe me, I know. I still need to watch Social Network, The Town, The Fighter and Toy Story 3, all of which have appeared on quite a few lists. Still, it's nice to see that, whilst there's some films that appear a lot more than others (Inception and Shutter Island being the most obvious cases here), there's still plenty of variation to everyone's lists.

Jean
07-27-2011, 06:07 AM
I think I know what we should do, Doc. We quit all jobs and studies, sever all relationships, and retire to a desert island with a laptop, a trunkful of batteries and our movie collections. When each of us has been fully acquainted with the collection of the other, we ask our friends whose judgment regareing cinema we trust (I can see five or even six such people in this very site) to ship us the rest. There is just no other way out.

DoctorDodge
07-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Alternatively, I could try and aim to watch less tv. Well, actually, I don't actually watch much tv, but of the shows I do watch, I have a tendency to obsess over. If I stopped watching (and rewatching) those altogether, I should have a lot more free time.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen!

Oh, and for a really good idea of what my movie taste is like, just watch Scott Pilgrim Jean, a film that Mattrick and quite a few others on this board hated (to put it mildly). That should give you an idea of what my movie taste is generally like. Because I'd hate for you to have the impression that I have good taste in movies all the time!

Jean
07-27-2011, 06:22 AM
the borderline between bad taste and good taste, from where bears stand, does not lie where people usually see it (nobody in their right mind could argue that The Tenant or Withnail and I have even a nodding acquaintance with this category, in its conventional understanding)

I think I must see Scott Pilgrim. It got so much booing around here that I was interested. And among those who liked it were a few people bears trust...

... shit, what have I done again?! No, not another title...

DoctorDodge
07-27-2011, 06:37 AM
the borderline between bad taste and good taste, from where bears stand, does not lie where people usually see it (nobody in their right mind could argue that The Tenant or Withnail and I have even a nodding acquaintance with this category, in its conventional understanding)

Oh, I can't argue with that. Four Lions, a comedy that I think was very well made, is on the surface an extreme of what people may consider as 'bad taste': namely, the story of four unintelligent jihadists planning to blow themselves up. However, in Chris Morris's hand, this isn't a film that's done purely for the sake of being controversial with cheap laughs, but is in fact a film that aims to paint these characters as normal and three dimensional as anyone we know. It's bold, to say the least, but it is brilliant.

I think I must see Scott Pilgrim. It got so much booing around here that I was interested. And among those who liked it were a few people bears trust...

As I said before, whether you'd love it or loathe it, your opinion on Scott Pilgrim is definitely something I'd be interested in reading, bears.

Jean
07-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Four Lions definitely sounds like something bears want to see. And, as far as the peculiar ursine taste is concerned... Bears love Black Adder, and they fucking adore Fawlty Towers.

DoctorDodge
07-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Oh yes. Completely agreed on Black Adder and, whilst it wouldn't be in my own top ten favourite British comedies, Farty Towels is undeniably a classic.

Jean
07-27-2011, 07:04 AM
we've shamelessly hijacked the thread

what is your top ten? we can go to a more appropriate thread to discuss this - I don't think I even know what threads there are in the television forum, maybe you've already answered this question

DoctorDodge
07-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Good point Jean. I've posted in the General Television discussion thread of what my initial top ten favourite British comedies are (i'm sure there's one or two I absolutely loved that I've forgotten). Guarantee there's a few you wouldn't have heard of, but it's up for you to read. Btw, (to admittedly get this thread slightly back on topic,) two of those shows were early work of Four Lions director Chris Morris, The Day Today and Brasseye. The latter was the reason I wanted to watch Four Lions the moment I found out about it.

Heather19
07-27-2011, 01:50 PM

And I'm still waiting for you to watch one of my favorite horror films....
I'm not so sure if you'll enjoy it, but I am dying for you to see it.

Jean
07-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I know! I know!!! :rose: :rose: :rose: