PDA

View Full Version : WOTC Questions. These do include spoilers. Thanks

ccualumni
12-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Just started reading Stephen King's books about a year ago or so. Hard to believe that I never read him as I read a great deal.
Now that I have started reading his books, I am of course hooked.

Since starting to reading King's books, my magazines are stacking up and not getting read. Neither are any of my other books. LOL

I just finished Wolves of the Calla and have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1. The book talks about Slightman getting the glasses that he wears from Andy (I believe it said it was Andy). It says that he was given them to be able to see better or something like that. I am a little bit unclear of the reason the glasses matter to the story.
Here is what I think is correct: For helping, he was given the glasses to be able to see the other people better? I am not sure why that matters or why it is important.
At the end, he steps on the glasses to show he no longer is associated with the wolves?
I guess I am not sure if that is correct or if there was a deeper meaning. My assumption is that they do not know how to make glasses there.
Just something I was wondering about.

2. I guess I am looking for a yes or no answer here instead of a spoiler.....
At the end of the book, Roland states that the wolves may never attack again and that if they do, their numbers will be greatly reduced (Lesson: teach a man to fish and all of that....)
Do they ever go to the beings that need the twins to thrive and destroy them (in a later book)? The ones that created the wolves?
I kind of feel like there is unfinished business. If they made some wolves, can they make more?
My thought was that the story leads us to believe that like the creatures in the forest, there are only a certain number of wolves and once they are destroyed, they will never be replaced. I just wondered if they wanted to go destroy the beings that have taken all of the "babbies" in the past.

I hope I do not sound critical, because I am not trying to be. I think these books are amazing and the best I have ever read. These are the only books where I felt that I should not rush and read it as quickly as possible. I want them to last. It is a bit of a disappointment that I only have 2 more to go before it ends. :)

I just have these questions after reading the book and was hoping to see what others thought or see what the answers are.

Thanks

Brainslinger
12-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Here is what I think is correct: For helping, he was given the glasses to be able to see the other people better? I am not sure why that matters or why it is important.
At the end, he steps on the glasses to show he no longer is associated with the wolves?

Glasses exist, but they aren't that common in that world. Basically, Slightman was short-sighted, and he accepted the glasses as part payment for being complicit in aiding the wolves. The only benefit to him was the same as they are to me, to help him see better. But the fact he accepted them says something about his character. As Roland states to him in their little palaver, he understands why he would betray the villagers to save his son. He, Roland, has done as bad by letting Jake fall because he striving for an ultimate goal. But he never accepted any luxuries (glasses) as payment. There is the difference.

Slightman's crushing of the glasses could be seen as a sign of repentance, albeit it was late in the day as the wolves were vanquished and so was his beloved son.

Do they ever go to the beings that need the twins to thrive and destroy them (in a later book)? The ones that created the wolves?

I'd say, read and find out. The people who created the wolves (the Great Old Ones) are long dead (not much of a spoiler as they're responsible for all the robots and high technology we see) but the people who utilised the wolves to harvest the twins are still out there. Are they destroyed in future? I'm not going to spoil that for you. You've read so far!

ccualumni
12-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Thank you very much for the reply.