PDA

View Full Version : Artist- Rachel Readman

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rachel Readman
11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Hello everyone,

For those of you that have supported my work in the past and those new to the forum, I wanted to let you all know that I am making changes to my website. Slowly but surely it will come together but please be patient as I get things done.

You can visit my site at any of the following links:

www.rachelreadman.com
www.rachelreadman.co.uk
www.blackrookstudios.com
www.blackrookstudios.co.uk

The Crimson King sculpture is now finished and ready to be cast and moulded but I still have much background work to be done before everything is finalised so it will be a while yet before it is available.

It has been nothing less than a real pleasure working with Michael Whelan to produce the piece and having Michael appraise and put his name to every last detail of the work is an honour I never thought would come my way. The piece has presented it's own challenges which we have had to work through together but I feel that it is a highly accurate 3D representation of Michael's original painting and it has been a labour of love for me! More details as soon as I have them, you will all be the first to know...

There will be more news soon regarding a new oil on canvas painting I am just finishing up, although this one is not related to Stephen King. There will be prints made available as well as the original for sale.

All the best,
Rachel Readman.

jhanic
11-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Welcome back, Rachel. Although I never purchased any of your work (from the old DarkTower.net), I always admired it!

John

Patrick
11-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Welcome back, Rachel!

For anyone who is interested in seeing more photos of the Constant Reader sculpture, there are a few in my collection thread right here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?510-Book-Collection-Patrick&p=493527&viewfull=1#post493527).

Rachel, I am looking forward to seeing the Crimson King sculpture! I love that you had Whelan's input and blessing on it.

Calla_Wolf
11-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Taken from the front page of Rachel's site:

Emptiness Digital Giclee Print

Originally produced as a commissioned painting for a long time collector of Stephen King books and memorabilia. Someone who ultimately became a good friend to me. The original painting 'Emptiness' is an acrylic on canvas painting and was purely taken from one simple sentence: "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed". A quote taken from Stephen King's first book 'The Gunslinger' of The Dark Tower series.

in reply...
Babes - I love you too :)
Anyone who doesn't have a copy of "Emptiness" really should consider it. As the proud owner of the original (in fact, this painting is one of the few things I've held on to from my once proud collection), I can tell you it really conveys the solitude of Roland's original quest.
All the best to you - am delighted, but not surprised, to hear you're working with Michael. He's no fool - he knows real talent when he sees it.
Maybe Dave could provide you with an outlet via Betts?
Ceri

Ari_Racing
11-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Nice to see you around, Rachel! :)

Can't wait to see and hear more about The Crimson King sculpture!

gsvec
12-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Nice to hear from you, Rachel! And like Ari, I can't wait to hear more about CK!!

Rachel Readman
12-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Thank you all and a Merry Christmas!

Hopefully it won't be long and I will be able to give you a sneek peek at the CK sculpture...

wizardsrainbow
12-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Hi Rachel! Welcome back. As Ceri suggested...maybe there is something you could do with me at Betts on the Crimson King sculpture.

Patrick
12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Rachel, will you be doing a numbered edition of the CRIMSON KING sculpture? Will we have the opportunity to match the number of our CONSTANT READER sculpture?

Looking forward to seeing the CK in 3D!

Say hi to Mick for us!

Rachel Readman
01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Sorry for not answering sooner guys, I haven't been able to log in for some odd reason until today, it now seems to be fixed.

I would love to work with you David but I have nothing in concrete as yet so give it time and I'll let you know as things take shape and we can work something out! I still have a lot to do....

Patrick , yes there will be numbers on all sculptures no matter what finishes are offered and they will be limited to set quantities. I will, as much as possible, match numbers for people where I can but because this may be sold through several retailers I am not entirely sure whether we will be able to, but we'll try and work something out.

Here is something you have all waited a long time for (though it is missing the jesters staff at the moment).

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/AllHailTheCrimsonKingCopyrightRachelReadmanMichael Whelan2010.jpg

carlosdetweiller
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, I'll be ordering one of these for sure! Thanks, Rachel, for the update and picture.

Patrick
01-15-2011, 04:17 PM
:thumbsup:

Rachel Readman
01-19-2011, 07:29 AM
I hope it won't be too long before the Crimson King is ready to make available for sale, I am working at getting it into the finished state as quickly as I can and have to have some more discussion with Michael Whelan about it but I am getting there!

Ari_Racing
01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Alright, I'll sell one of the books if necesary, but I'll buy one for sure!

Brice
01-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Any idea what the prices will be on these? I missed out on your other sculpture.

east-tennessee
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Yes, please give us a heads- up on when they will be available & prices....

Thanks Brian....

Rachel Readman
01-24-2011, 08:16 AM
I certainly will keep you all informed as soon as I have further information I will post it up here.

Rachel Readman
04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey everyone,

The Crimson King sculpture will be going into the moulding and casting stage in the next couple of weeks and hopefully it won't be too long before I am sending the Artist Proofs to Michael Whelan for final approval.

I am just trying to finalise a few of the more difficult elements of the piece and get things into production stage right now.

Hope you are all keeping well and would love to hear from you all as to how you are all doing these days!

Ari_Racing
04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Really can't wait to see it! :)

Rachel Readman
04-15-2011, 03:19 AM
Any idea what the prices will be on these? I missed out on your other sculpture.

Brice,

The Constant Reader sculptures are still available in antique silver or antique bronze, anyone interested can find the details on my website:

rachelreadman.com (or .co.uk)
blackrookstudios.com (or .co.uk)

Ari, you and me both. I am excited to see how it looks when we remove the first moulds and get finished pieces out as the piece really comes to life then. After all the time and effort spent sculpting, it is at this point it finally comes into full fruition and the labour pays off. It is always a surprise how a piece transforms when fired in a kiln or moulded and cast into bronze etc it's like it is your original sculpture but with some sort of final added magic.

Rachel Readman
06-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Boing....

I am just talking to Michael Whelan right now and finalising a few details on the sculpture then I should be able to move on with everything. I was hoping to get things done sooner but just the way things have panned out.

I'll get there eventually :)

Ari_Racing
06-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Can't wait to see!!!!

Patrick
06-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Looking forward to it as well!

Cutter
06-04-2011, 05:41 PM
This should be great. I've loved the door sculpture and have been jealous of those who owned one. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up!

Rachel Readman
01-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I trust you all had a great holiday, Christmas and wish you a happy New Year.

My humble apologies for the delay and the time it has taken to get this sculpture finished and available.

Thanks to Jerome for your email asking for an update:

Some of you may not be be aware but my husband has been really ill lately with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and is now bedbound and housebound most of the time as a result. Our finances have taken a large hit also. I have to look after him, work full time and working on my art as well which obviously makes things a challenge to say the least.

The sculpture is finished and ready to go barring one or two small issues that need sorting out. I need to get the bases and packaging manufactured and finish resolving a few small issues with the name/numberplates.

It has been a nightmare due to the economy and a number of businesses closing shop after they had agreed to manufacture things for me so I have had to find alternative companies to get things done. Finding companies that could achieve what I wanted was very difficult in the first place so having to then search again and come up with alternatives has been nothing short of impossible but I am there now I think, so long as there are no more bumps in the road. It is also costing much more than I had first planned or been quoted and due to our personal situation is taking much more time to get the funds together to do everything.

Now hoping to have everything ready within the next 12 weeks and get the final pieces to Michael Whelan for approval ASAP so we can begin advertising and taking orders. I am not able to give absolute guarantees on this though.

I need to update Michael Whelan on everything as well as I have not been in touch or able to give any further news to him for some time.

Also managed to finish a painting of Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse so I'll try to get a picture of that on my web page and here if there is interest?

As soon as the sculpture is done I promise I will update you all here!!

Thanks for your understanding and continued support.

Rachel.

Ricky
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
I missed out on the previous sculpture so would be really interested in ordering one of these when they're finished!

Shannon
01-05-2012, 07:29 PM
The Dark Tower VIII: The Dark Tower Returns, with artwork from Rachel Readman.

Come onnnnnnnnnn, that would rock!

You have a new fan Ms. Readman. :)

Robert Fulman
01-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Is "Constant Reader" still available? That looks really nice.

Randall Flagg
01-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Is "Constant Reader" still available? That looks really nice.
Yes. The price is £80 plus shipping. Drop her a line if interested.
http://www.rachelreadman.com/resources/emailaddress.jpg

Ben Staad
01-06-2012, 06:42 AM
I haven't seen her work in person but (like Mr. Fulman said above) the Constant Reader piece looks great.

Patrick
01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Rachel, I am sorry to hear your man is not doing well. He's a good guy, and I wish him the best.

The delay in getting that sculpture released is actually a good thing for my wallet after TWITKH and other books being released recently. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing your final product as I love my CONSTANT READER (#3) and hope I can afford to match the number with the companion piece.

Best,
- Patrick

Rachel Readman
01-12-2012, 04:10 PM
:smile: Thanks guys, feel free to contact me regarding sculptures, prints or any other enquiries you might have.

As Jerome said the Constant Reader is still available but only in bronze or silver finishes, the hand painted sold out in no time.

Of course I'd love to illustrate a DT book if the offer was there Shannon!

I'll get some pics up of The Four Horsemen painting tomorrow too.

I'm thinking about donating something to the Haven Foundation fundraiser but I haven't decided what as yet, so will let you all know soon...

Mick also says hi to everyone.

Catch you all later :cowboy:

Rachel Readman
01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Not Stephen King related but I have added the new work 'The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse' to my web page now, the original and prints will be available soon for those interested. It is an oil on canvas 23.5 x 15.5 inches.

Here it is a little bigger:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/FourHorsemenWebsiteBigger.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Stunning. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully someone here will be interested in the print-or perhaps the original.

Shannon
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
"When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, 'Come and see!' I looked and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth."

Love it. It looks great!

Rachel Readman
04-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Just to keep you all up to date... Sorry again that this is taking so long, I am having difficulty getting the wooden bases made for the CK sculpture, hence the delays again. It is proving very difficult to get the bases made as I want them but I have a few more companies to contact yet.

Everything else is done and ready to go and once I have moved house in the next week or two I will be getting on with it.

I'll have to send proofs to Michael Whelan and once approved it will be made available. I'll post info and pictures here once we're rolling...

Robert Fulman
08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
My darling wife presented me with "Constant Reader" (#17/250) as a 13th Anniversary present today. I think it looks lovely on my Dark Tower Shelf, don't you? My wife was very impressed with the personalized service provided by Rachel, and we are both completely satisfied with the end result:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4655/004mnj.jpg

The Horn of Eld is a separate piece. I decided to hang it on the door knob, but I really want to get a Cowboy Ken doll or something to hold it...

jhanic
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Congratulations, both on the sculpture and your anniversary!

John

Randall Flagg
08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Rachel is the greatest....except for one thing......she donated the CR sculpture to our fundraiser, and wouldn't allow me to purchase it at any price....so it went to Bad Penny. :rose:

Shannon
08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
lol :)

Patrick
08-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Congratulations, both on the sculpture and your anniversary!

John

What John said!

Bad Penny
08-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Rachel is the greatest....except for one thing......she donated the CR sculpture to our fundraiser, and wouldn't allow me to purchase it at any price....so it went to Bad Penny. :rose:

Well, Randall, I'd cry your pardon and say sorry to boot .... however; I'm not sorry in the slightest (and I got myself one of Rachel's silver cast beauties as well) :P

Robert Fulman
08-15-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks on both counts.

Patrick
09-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Rachel, how is Mick? How are you? Any update on the CK sculpture project?

Best.
- Patrick

Rachel Readman
09-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Hey all, hope you are all doing well!!

Mick says hi and is just about coping. Still very ill and struggles through day to day but won't be beaten by this disease. His parents are coming to stay with us tomorrow for the week, which he is looking forward to.

The CK sculpture is now finally coming together, it has been very difficult getting everything just how I want it. I am at the stage where all the final bits and pieces such as bases, name/limitation plates, Jesters staffs etc are in the process of being made and all the difficulties are over. I will have finished sculptures within about 3 weeks. Once I have them I will be able to have shipping crates made.

Next I will send a couple to Michael Whelan for his final approval. Provided Michael is happy with them, it will not be long before we can make them available.

I am hoping we can have them available to order (or at the least, pre-order) before the Christmas holidays and will, for now, maintain that optimism.

I'll post again when I have more news...

A little PS for Shannon: I got your email and just haven't had time to respond yet but I will get in touch over the weekend!

Shannon
09-21-2012, 07:01 AM
P.S. heard and fingers crossed.

P.P.S. I'm sure no one knows what we're talking about, right? We're sneaky. ... not. :)

Rachel Readman
09-21-2012, 10:05 AM
:ninja:

Brice
09-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Oh, I sure have no idea. ;)

Shannon
09-21-2012, 11:15 PM
For all those not in the know (and for all those who haven't read the latest update on ambannonbooks.com (http://www.ambannonbooks.com)), In Mint Condition: 2013 is proud to announce Rachel Readman as one of the interior artists! I am honored to be working with Rachel and very excited to see what she ultimately comes up with!

Robert Fulman
09-22-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm relieved that's what you've been hinting at. I thought you had cajoled her into hand-painting a CR for you.

Patrick
09-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Rachel, please pass along my good wishes to Mick. Looking forward to seeing your artwork in that book our friends are putting together, and really looking forward to your Crimson King sculpture based on Whelan's interpretation of CK. With the combined artistic talent of the two of you, I have no doubt that it is going to be awesome!

Rachel Readman
10-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Thank you Patrick, things are moving along nicely now and I will of course keep you all updated with progress.

Mick sends his thanks to you too!

Merlin1958
12-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Man alive!! Have you seen the art for the new "Carrie" slipcases? Awesome stuff!!! Readman Rocks!!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/9794/001oer.jpg

Randall Flagg
12-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Wow. I wish I had one of those.

Garrell
12-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Getting me one:)

Merlin1958
12-21-2012, 02:35 PM

Why? What does yours look like?

Randall Flagg
12-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Very long, great girth and as hard as fine wood.

Merlin1958
12-21-2012, 02:47 PM

Very long, great girth and as hard as fine wood.

LOL But, no way as long as mine!!! LOL

Should we be making these type of jokes in a "Ladies" thread? My shoe size is 17 LOL

Randall Flagg
12-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I was talking about my case. Take your foot fetishes somewhere else...

Merlin1958
12-21-2012, 02:58 PM
I was talking about my case. Take your foot fetishes somewhere else...

LOL I wasn't talking about my "foot". LOL

sgc1999
12-23-2012, 04:04 PM
You know what they say about big feet...:smile_002:

..........Big shoes :emot-roflolmao:

Rachel Readman
03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
You lot hijacking my thread with filthy mindedness? Dirty boys, haha.

I have something special to announce for the Haven Foundation and as a coming soon also...

Something I have had up my sleeve for quite some time:

Jake & Oy - Silflay...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay001_zps57b512c3.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay004_zps31baba3c.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay012_zps3539b3a2.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay008_zpsf90caa87.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay006_zps0ef8e2aa.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture010_zps4e1f57fa.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture015_zpsbd63e14c.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture007_zps4c25e1f2.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture016_zps00b81e50.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture012_zps09d78417.jpg

The above are images of both hand painted and bronze finishes and although the sculptures themselves are finished, they are not yet mounted onto wooden plynths and do not have a limitation/nameplate which they will have once they are completed.

I will be making one of the hand painted editions available for the Haven Foundation fund. As with the Constant Reader sculpture I offered last year it will be lettered with 'HF' instead of a number and will have something added to it to make it a unique one off piece different to all others! The auction won't happen right away and we will post when the time comes.

Due to my schedule being extremely weighty at present, I am going to have to give further details on this and further announcements on other projects I have ongoing as and when I am able to fit them in. Please be patient and I will let everyone know further details as soon as I can.

Thanks to all as always for your support!

Coulrophobia
03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Beautiful Work!!!

carlosdetweiller
03-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Greatness!

Bad Penny
03-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Absolutely breathtaking Rachel - brilliant !!!!! I'll be on board for one of those for sure !!!! :clap:

Scoogs
03-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Very nice Rachel!

Coulrophobia
03-18-2013, 07:34 PM
That hand painted donation will be one heck of a bidding war. It is very generous of you.

Shannon
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Wow. I want one. No, I take that back. I need one.

Amazing work. Amazing amazing amazing. I will be buying one, one way or another. That being said, I'm off to the Want thread to ask for a hand painted Constant Reader Statue.

Patrick
03-18-2013, 09:01 PM
This beautiful piece is another example of why I love your sculptures, Rachel! :thumbsup:

If I may, I'd like to reserve the matching number to my Constant Reader.

Ben Staad
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Very nice work. Thank you for sharing!

Lauterer
03-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Wonderful. Do you make a ARC of this sculpture. I will take it... :smile:

Stockerlone
03-19-2013, 03:22 AM
Amazing work of Art !!!

Rachel Readman
03-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Thank you everyone, I hope it raises the roof on the Haven fund!

The sculpture can also be used as a bookend.

Do I make an ARC of it, well no but there are a number of Artist Proofs. These are the pieces I use to get my paint jobs right and get the colours how I want them.

This beautiful piece is another example of why I love your sculptures, Rachel! :thumbsup:

If I may, I'd like to reserve the matching number to my Constant Reader.

I will be able to match numbers for those who own CR sculptures but please don't bombard me with messages and requests just yet.

Even more news to follow IMMINENTLY...

EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

carlosdetweiller
03-19-2013, 05:28 AM
I will be able to match numbers for those who own CR sculptures

That is good news. My CR sculpture is one of my favorite pieces of art (and I have quite a few other pieces of art!).

Ari_Racing
03-19-2013, 05:33 AM
My God! Excellent piece of work! You're very talented! :)

bdwyer19
03-19-2013, 06:11 AM
That is an amazing sculpture, Rachel!

divemaster
03-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Hi Rachel, I was not aware of this thread until now. Thank you for illustrating my story in In Mint Condition. I really like your work (for the story and in this thread and on your website). I personally don't have much interest in art and don't collect it, but I can see what's good. It is obvious you are very talented.

Regards,
Dave

Rachel Readman
03-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi Rachel, I was not aware of this thread until now. Thank you for illustrating my story in In Mint Condition. I really like your work (for the story and in this thread and on your website). I personally don't have much interest in art and don't collect it, but I can see what's good. It is obvious you are very talented.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks Dave, you're very welcome I enjoyed your story, well all the stories in fact. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with my interpretation!

I understand that art is not for everyone and we all have our own personal interests and tastes, that's just what makes us unique and can only be a good thing. One person's gold is another's rubbish as the PC version of the saying goes.

I will make the original illustration for your story available for purchase when In Mint Condition is out in the wild.

Dolso
03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Absolutely Great, Rachel! I love your art -- and not just the sculpting -- all of it!!

Merlin1958
03-19-2013, 10:33 PM
You lot hijacking my thread with filthy mindedness? Dirty boys, haha.

I have something special to announce for the Haven Foundation and as a coming soon also...

Something I have had up my sleeve for quite some time:

Jake & Oy - Silflay...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay001_zps57b512c3.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay004_zps31baba3c.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay012_zps3539b3a2.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay008_zpsf90caa87.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-Silflay006_zps0ef8e2aa.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture010_zps4e1f57fa.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture015_zpsbd63e14c.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture007_zps4c25e1f2.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture016_zps00b81e50.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/Picture012_zps09d78417.jpg

The above are images of both hand painted and bronze finishes and although the sculptures themselves are finished, they are not yet mounted onto wooden plynths and do not have a limitation/nameplate which they will have once they are completed.

I will be making one of the hand painted editions available for the Haven Foundation fund. As with the Constant Reader sculpture I offered last year it will be lettered with 'HF' instead of a number and will have something added to it to make it a unique one off piece different to all others! The auction won't happen right away and we will post when the time comes.

Due to my schedule being extremely weighty at present, I am going to have to give further details on this and further announcements on other projects I have ongoing as and when I am able to fit them in. Please be patient and I will let everyone know further details as soon as I can.

Thanks to all as always for your support!

You're AWESOME, Rachel!!!!!

The Haven Fund Raiser says, THANKS!!!

Rachel Readman
04-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Bit of an update...

For Silflay, packaging will be done in about 4 weeks, limitation plates 2 weeks and wood bases 2 weeks so should be ready for May release. The Haven Fund one will be done first and auctioned.

Crimson King is all in hand too, wood bases in a week, packaging to be sorted out once the bases are done. Presently I am talking to Michael Whelan about the details and will send a sculpture to him before releasing them for sale.

Two more sculptures to follow soon thereafter. Watch this space for further updates!

Thanks everyone.

Shannon
04-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Dibs! I call dibs now! That is acceptable, right? lol

east-tennessee
04-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Bit of an update...

For Silflay, packaging will be done in about 4 weeks, limitation plates 2 weeks and wood bases 2 weeks so should be ready for May release. The Haven Fund one will be done first and auctioned.

Crimson King is all in hand too, wood bases in a week, packaging to be sorted out once the bases are done. Presently I am talking to Michael Whelan about the details and will send a sculpture to him before releasing them for sale.

Two more sculptures to follow soon thereafter. Watch this space for further updates!

Thanks everyone.

Great news Rachel...:tongue:
Any hints on whats upcoming?

Brian.....

Rachel Readman
04-05-2013, 01:41 AM
When you have me, you feel like sharing me. But, if you do share me, you don't have me. What am I?

Bad Penny
04-05-2013, 01:52 AM
A secret ???? (PS- I heart Google) :rock:

Rachel Readman
04-05-2013, 03:02 AM
That's cheating Mr :P

Rachel Readman
04-05-2013, 03:25 AM
OK a genuine clue, if you work this out then I will gladly tell you:

Yawn utopias whore

Now dismayed a VIP

Bad Penny
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Have you seen Cronenberg's "Scanners" Rachel ???

My exploded head, well the bloody stump, thanks you from the bottom of its larynx :cry:

Rachel Readman
04-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Haha yep scanners is a classic.

No takers yet then?

Shannon
04-06-2013, 11:38 AM
lol, I'm assuming it's an anagram, but I can't figure it out. Also tried the synonym route, but came up empty.

Rachel Readman
04-07-2013, 06:12 AM
OK a little more help, it is 2 seperate anagrams.

sgc1999
04-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Man!
I wish I had bought the constant reader piece now. I would have, but they are big bucks now. I really hope to get one of these though.

Absolutely amazing!!!

Rachel Readman
04-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Bronze and silver CR sculptures are still available for anyone that would like one.

Another clue then since it seems no-one has managed to solve them:

2 memorable lines from TDT:

Yawn utopias whore

Now dismayed a VIP

Dan
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Bronze and silver CR sculptures are still available for anyone that would like one.

Yawn utopias whore

Now dismayed a VIP

And what, may I ask, is the going rate for the available cr sculptures?

Jimimck
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Just saw the new sculpures.

LOVE THEM!

Randall Flagg
04-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Yawn utopias whore

Now dismayed a VIP

And what, may I ask, is the going rate for the available cr sculptures?
You can order one from Rachel, but the limited run of hand painted scupltures is sold out. Market rate for a hand painted piece is $600-$700+. No one will sell their piece. If you posted a want ad in our classified section and offered $500 I doubt you would receive a response.

"
Constant Reader Sculpture

A highly detailed cold cast resin piece available in either a real antique bronze or antique silver patina. A limited edition of only 250 pieces made available worldwide including only 19 hand painted editions (hand painted are sold out, sorry!).
Measures 25.4cm high x 17.8cm wide x 14cm deep. Supplied in a satin lined presentation box with foil embossed detailing.
This piece is one of a number of works inspired by Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' novels and a project I was involved in. This is my first publically available work. There were two additional pieces made which are personalised and owned by Stephen King and Michael Whelan and are not part of the original 19 hand painted or total 250 available.
Price is £100 plus postage and packing which will include insurance."

http://www.rachelreadman.com/

Shannon
04-11-2013, 04:27 PM
"No one will sell their piece."

That's not what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII hear. ;)

Randall Flagg
04-11-2013, 04:45 PM
"No one will sell their piece."

That's not what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII hear. ;)
Knowing you, much like TMSG, some member will feel sorry for your ass and probably give you the thing.

Shannon
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Your words to Jesus'''''''''' ears. Preach!

Merlin1958
04-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Your words to Jesus'''''''''' ears. Preach!

I'm his "Daddy" send it to me and I will see to it that it goes to him in my "will"!!! LOL

Rachel Readman
04-12-2013, 05:24 AM
I still get enquiries about the hand painted edition. 7 years after they sold out (in just 2 weeks) back in 2006.

As I have discussed with the 'Haven Fund Whore' Bill and Jerome over this past week, I'm offering a special limited time deal on the Constant Reader sculpture (bronze or silver)...

They will be reduced to £85 (plus shipping/insurance) and for every one sold from now until 19th May, £10 will be donated to the haven fund. So a saving of £15 and you are donating to a great cause in the process.

Anyone already inquiring recently will be given this same deal too!

Merlin1958
04-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I still get enquiries about the hand painted edition. 7 years after they sold out (in just 2 weeks) back in 2006.

As I have discussed with the 'Haven Fund Whore' Bill and Jerome over this past week, I'm offering a special limited time deal on the Constant Reader sculpture (bronze or silver)...

They will be reduced to £85 (plus shipping/insurance) and for every one sold from now until 19th May, £10 will be donated to the haven fund. So a saving of £15 and you are donating to a great cause in the process.

Very generous, Rachel!!!! You Rock!!! :rock:

Rachel Readman
04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
An update for you all...

I'll have the wood bases for the Crimson King sculpture tomorrow and also the third finished sculpture will come out of the mould.

The first finished base for the Haven Fund Jake & Oy 'Silflay' will also be done tomorrow. I have the nameplates for Silflay all done too and they turned out great. The HF sculpture will come out of the mould tomorrow ready for me to get to work on.

Next phase is for me to get on with the packaging for both sculptures which will take about 4 weeks.

I'll update with some photos soon!

Merlin1958
04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
An update for you all...

I'll have the wood bases for the Crimson King sculpture tomorrow and also the third finished sculpture will come out of the mould.

The first finished base for the Haven Fund Jake & Oy 'Silflay' will also be done tomorrow. I have the nameplates for Silflay all done too and they turned out great. The HF sculpture will come out of the mould tomorrow ready for me to get to work on.

Next phase is for me to get on with the packaging for both sculptures which will take about 4 weeks.

You heard it here first, folks!!! Get your HF funds ready this will no doubt be an auction you do NOT want to miss out on!!!

Many, many thanks, Rachel!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

east-tennessee
05-01-2013, 08:27 PM
An update for you all...

Thanks for the update Rachel...:drool:...looking forward to seeing the finished products....Brian.

Shannon
05-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Question, and this might have been asked before (if so, I apologize) ... Would owners of the hand painted Constant Reader Statues be given a chance to match their numbers? I assume the same numbers on the Crimson King and Silflay would be hand painted as well? Thanks!

Robert Fulman
05-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Out of curiosity, I would want to know how the hand-painted ones were numbered, because I have Constant Reader #17, and it isn't painted.

Shannon
05-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Mine's #10, handpainted.

Randall Flagg
05-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Mine's #10, handpainted.
But you don't get the next one #10.
I pre-ordered that specific #.

Shannon
05-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I didn't know pre-orders were available yet. Very nice! Hey everyone, pre-orders are available!

;)

Rachel Readman
05-03-2013, 03:15 AM
Hey everyone, just want to clear things up so you all know what's happening:

Future matching numbers will be available to those who now own the Constant Reader sculpture. I will send out emails to current owners and update the thread here to let everyone know when and how to pre-order. I am probably going to have to put a time limit on how long people have to confirm they want their matching numbers and place a solid order and pay.

It's going to be 4-5 weeks before the Jake & Oy will be available to order as I have packaging to be manufactured and the lead time is 4 weeks for that. I may be able to take pre-orders before this but I will let you all know. Packaging will be similar to the Constant Reader sculpture with black leather look presentation case, hot foil embossed and white satin lined.

The Crimson King sculpture is ready barring shipping crates, which again will be some 4 weeks or more and then I have to send one to Michael Whelan for his final approval and iron out the details on retailing. This is one big heavy piece compared to the others measuring just over 13 inches high and 13 inches across the widest part at the bottom of the base and I think it weighs about 15KG+ without the crate. About 460 human skulls (I lost count) around the size of the average thumbnail all individually tailored with cracks, bullet holes etc have gone into it! The jesters staff with the babies skull rammed onto it is cast in solid bronze and the base made in cherry wood with a profiled edge that is shaped to a human skull and angled to a precise 27 degrees so it flows up with the steps leading up to the throne. The base also creates a 'floating like effect' as it has a finger grip groove cut deep into the edge profile, hard to explain but you'll understand when you see it. I can honestly say that over 2 years of full time work has gone into it, probably much more than that in fact (again I lost count) and I still have to cast, finish and mount each individual piece as they are ordered. It has turned out beautifully macabre!

The other two not yet announced sculptures I have hinted at are in the pipeline but I have to get everything else done and underway before I even think about releasing them as I am only a one woman show I can't do it all at once.

OK, the numbering for the Constant Reader sculpture... Some people wanted to choose their number and others didn't mind, so I did all the painted editions first and they all sold immediately. They took up most of the first 19 numbers except for numbers 99 and number 21 so the numbers went like so:

1 Hand Painted
2 Hand Painted
3 Hand Painted
4 Hand Painted
5 Hand Painted
6 Hand Painted
7 Hand Painted
8 Hand Painted
9 Hand Painted
10 Hand Painted
11 Hand Painted
12 Hand Painted
13 Hand Painted
14 Hand Painted
15 Hand Painted
16 Hand Painted
17 Antique Silver
18 Antique Silver
19 Hand Painted
21 Hand Painted
99 Hand Painted

All other numbers are either bronze or silver or are still available to purchase.

Created a bit of confusion but I only did what was asked for to make people happy and give the numbers wanted on a first come first served basis. I will have to continue this numbering for future editions I guess to keep it all in line. Good job I kept records of everything!

I hope this information clears everything up and gives a little more besides, but if there is ever anything else you wish to know please just ask here or contact me by email and I will get back to you.

Rachel X

Patrick
05-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Thank you for the update, Rachel. When you are contacting the Constant Reader sculpture owners, please remember me as the owner of #3 (I bought it on the secondary market as you may recall).

I'm really looking forward to these upcoming releases!

Rachel Readman
05-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Don't worry Patrick, I got my beady eye on you! LOL

Patrick
05-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Don't worry Patrick, I got my beady eye on you! LOL

<3

Rachel Readman
05-10-2013, 03:49 AM
A bit of a heads up for the Haven Fund auction for Jake & Oy - Silflay...

I wasn't happy with how the first wooden base turned out for the Silflay sculpture, the piece just didn't sit right on it so I decided i wanted to rework the design and profile.

The new base is now cut and I'm happy with it. It will be stained and laquered today and finished with final coats in the morning so by luchtime tomorrow it will be ready to take photos. I'll send photos to Merlin as soon as I get them done and likely they'll get posted here too. The auction can then go ahead. I couldn't get it done any faster and pulled out all the stops to make it happen in time for the end of the Haven Fundraiser on 19/5.

I'm not sure when the auction will begin and whether it will be a 7, 5 or 3 day and will leave that up to Jerome and Bill to decide and let everyone know.

Let's make it to that $12,000 goal and happy bidding to those who wish to partake!!

Randall Flagg
05-10-2013, 06:04 AM
Thanks. Hopefully we will have images by Sunday 5/12/13 for a 7 day auction.

Shannon
05-10-2013, 08:01 AM
We truly appreciate the work you've put in for our Haven Foundation Fundraiser, Rachel. Thank you so much, you're one of a kind. :)

Merlin1958
05-10-2013, 08:50 AM
We truly appreciate the work you've put in for our Haven Foundation Fundraiser, Rachel. Thank you so much, you're one of a kind. :)

She certainly is!!! Many thanks, Rachel!!!

Rachel Readman
05-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Well here goes everyone, as promised here are the details and photos of the Haven Fund Jake & Oy - Silflay sculpture:

I'll be customising by adding another book to the sculpture, Charlie the choo choo which will have a picture painted into the book of Charlie and I was thinking of a sign nailed onto the tree pointing the way to LUD, something like "<LUD 400 wheels" or the buyer can opt to have something else on the sign if they so choose (as long as it will fit).

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-SilflayHFOnBase001_zps7d2ba521.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-SilflayHFOnBase005_zps79b2367e.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-SilflayHFOnBase002_zpsa17fdc36.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-SilflayHFOnBase003_zpsdc9f5565.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-SilflayHFOnBase004_zps5edddc36.jpg~original

The limitation plate is polished stainless steel which is like a mirror but cannot be seen well in photos. The decals are deep chemical etched with painted finish. Oy gave the piece his seal of approval too :thumbsup:...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-SilflayHFOnBase014_zpscbf15543.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Jake%20And%20Oy%20-%20Silflay/JakeampOy-SilflayHFOnBase008_zps20141ee0.jpg~original

More close up photographs and the antique bronze finish sculpture can be can be seen earlier in this thread for those that have not seen them.

Ari_Racing
05-11-2013, 07:50 AM
It looks AWESOME!! Congratulations for such an excellent craft!

bdwyer19
05-11-2013, 07:58 AM
That is incredible Rachel! Very generous of you to donate this piece to the auction.

Dan
05-11-2013, 08:08 AM
I would love to have this! I wish my bank account would agree. Wonderful donation, amazing talent!

Shannon
05-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Beautiful.

Randall Flagg
05-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Unbelievably fantastic. FYI, the item goes up for auction tomorrow. I also have some additional pics.

Merlin1958
05-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Beautiful!!!!

Randall Flagg
05-12-2013, 11:34 AM
FYI, the auction goes live today at 1500 PDT (2200 GMT).
Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200924040507

Merlin1958
05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
FYI, the auction goes live today at 1500 PDT (2200 GMT).
Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200924040507

Folks, do not miss out on this truly one of a kind item!!!

Shannon
05-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Excellent, excellent, excellent item. For many people, the only guaranteed way of owning one of these is through this auction. Do not take your chances with any sort of lottery, or first-come-first-serve event. The owners of the nineteen handpainted Constant Reader Statues have "dibs" on the nineteen handpainted Silflay Statues, and I doubt doubt doubt that any of us will turn down that opportunity. So ... if you want a handpainted Silflay, THIS. IS. IT. Good luck.

Patrick
05-13-2013, 03:12 PM
I want my numbered edition AND the HF fundraiser edition! Is that wrong?

Randall Flagg
05-13-2013, 05:02 PM
I want my numbered edition AND the HF fundraiser edition! Is that wrong?
Not if you pay for it (them).

Rachel Readman
05-14-2013, 03:03 AM
Bid away Patrick, bid away!!

Patrick
05-14-2013, 10:42 AM
I bid yesterday, Rachel, and was automatically and immediately outbid. After the last couple days of limited edition book announcements, I'll just have to hope my wallet recovers in time to procure my numbered edition of your beautiful sculptures. In the meantime, I am happy to see this auction doing so well so early.

Rachel Readman
05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Well I guess we can't have everything and decisions must be made.

I decided not to go for the S/L of The Dark Man because I have to pay to make all your sculptures LOL.

Patrick
05-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Well I guess we can't have everything and decisions must be made.I know, right?! So unfair.

I decided not to go for the S/L of The Dark Man because I have to pay to make all your sculptures LOL.That's what you get for not taking prepaid preorders. :(

Rachel Readman
05-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I know, I know. I don't like holding money from people for long periods though. Prefer to take pre-orders a bit closer to the time they will be ready. Won't be long now though!

east-tennessee
05-18-2013, 09:14 AM

Don't forget this great offer ending soon :smile:

http://www.rachelreadman.com/

Merlin1958
05-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Are we all gonna stand by and let "Bad Penny" obtain yet another Classic King Collectible? You know he's on top of this auction right? I can see the faint outline of "penny-wise" whenever I look at the auction pictures!!!! LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200924040507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Rachel Readman
05-19-2013, 05:46 AM
I have 20 Pounds UK here for the fund from 2 sales (to be made) of the Constant Reader scupture. One of which is for east-tennessee (Brian) and another for Ryan who saw the HF auction on ebay and contacted me by email. Thanks to both of you for your order and indirect contribution to the Haven Foundation Fund.

Merlin1958
05-19-2013, 07:56 PM
And a very respectable auction amount for the statue!!! $810.00!!!!

Rachel Readman
05-20-2013, 03:49 AM
I'll Paypal gift the money over to Jerome.

Happy to see such a great result for the Haven Foundation, I'm sure they'll be thrilled with the contribution made by everyone here. Well done all!

Patrick
05-20-2013, 11:10 PM
:thumbsup:

Rachel Readman
05-28-2013, 06:26 AM
I'll not be around for the next week as I'm off to London to do a climb over the O2 arena in aid of Invest In ME as they are collecting in order build a biomedical research centre, bloodbank and treatment centre for people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, which my husband has suffered with for many years.

If anyone would like to sponsor me and donate to the cause then you can visit my Just Giving page here:

http://www.justgiving.com/Climbing-the-Dome

If this is not acceptable to be posted here Jerome then feel free to remove it or let me know and I'll delete it.

Patrick
05-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Ok, I'm in. Good luck on your charity climb, Rachel. Sending you and Michael positive energy!

Edit:

For those who don't know, Rachel's husband, Michael, is also a Stephen King enthusiast. He was a member of other previous TDT sites in their various incarnations, and has been a member here since May 2007. More importantly, Michael is a good man who has a serious disease through no fault of his own. Rachel's climb is a creative way to increase awareness and raise funds toward treatment and cure. Although this comes at the tail end of our own official Haven Foundation fundraiser, please do not hesitate to help if you can. Thank you.

Randall Flagg
05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
I'll not be around for the next week as I'm off to London to do a climb over the O2 arena in aid of Invest In ME as they are collecting in order build a biomedical research centre, bloodbank and treatment centre for people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, which my husband has suffered with for many years.

If anyone would like to sponsor me and donate to the cause then you can visit my Just Giving page here:

http://www.justgiving.com/Climbing-the-Dome

If this is not acceptable to be posted here Jerome then feel free to remove it or let me know and I'll delete it.
I not only encourage it, but I am going to figure out how to donate.
Thanks.

Edit:
A bit cumbersome to donate, but I figured it out and sent $50

Shannon
05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Wanted to donate, but I don't see a PayPal option, and that's where my extra money is at the moment. Any ideas?

Randall Flagg
05-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Wanted to donate, but I don't see a PayPal option, and that's where my extra money is at the moment. Any ideas?
PP me as a gift and I will donate (BTW it seems to require a credit card).
One could always PP direct to Rachel Readman, but I don't believe it will show up on her "tote board".

Rachel Readman
05-28-2013, 05:21 PM
That is really kind of you guys, you really are the best of people! Mick is over the moon after I showed him what you said here and your donations. He sends his thanks on behalf of all people who live with ME. Some 250,000+ in the UK and millions in the USA and around the world.

If anyone would like to but cannot donate through the Just Giving link above then you can send to michael(surname same as mine)@yahoo.co.uk using PP gift. We will add this to sponsorship funds paid in cash by many others and donate direct to the Invest in ME charity. I'll publish the total amount raised and I'll have photos to show of me in action scaling the O2 dome too. The charity website is here:

http://investinme.org/IiME%20Fundraising%20and%20Awareness%20Home.htm

Be back in a weeks time...

Thank you to everyone from our hearts to yours.

Shannon
05-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Donated $50 by the way of Crow-Man. Stay awesome, Rachel. :)

Patrick
05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
That's $150 in one day. Not bad!

Rachel Readman
05-29-2013, 03:14 AM
One quick post before I go.

That's more than not bad, that's, well, that's, I don't really have a word for it but it's bloody brilliant! It's Mick's Birthday today too, he'll be 35, what a great birthday gift. Thank you!

Right I'm definitely off to London now, talk to you all soon...

Randall Flagg
05-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Donated $50 by the way of Crow-Man. Stay awesome, Rachel. :)
$50 PP sent with credit for you and Amber.

Patrick
05-29-2013, 12:02 PM
That's $150 in one day. Not bad!

One quick post before I go.

That's more than not bad, that's, well, that's, I don't really have a word for it but it's bloody brilliant! It's Mick's Birthday today too, he'll be 35, what a great birthday gift. Thank you!

Right I'm definitely off to London now, talk to you all soon...
Happy birthday, Mick!

Good luck, Rachel!

Rachel Readman
07-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well.

Mick and I wanted to say thank you for the donations to my fundraiser for ME Research, it went really well, I raised over £500 which is a brilliant result.

Here are a couple of photos on the day:

The 02 Arena Dome

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Climbing%20the%20Dome%20for%20Myalgic%20Encephalom yelitis/5-Thedomeobviouslyshotfromcablecar_zpsefabbfd4.jpg~o riginal

Climbing Up...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Climbing%20the%20Dome%20for%20Myalgic%20Encephalom yelitis/13-Goingup-beinghitbyplane_zps6ecea1f9.jpg~original

...and a couple of me at the top admiring the view over London:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Climbing%20the%20Dome%20for%20Myalgic%20Encephalom yelitis/14-Meatthetop_zps2ad3d71d.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Climbing%20the%20Dome%20for%20Myalgic%20Encephalom yelitis/17-Lookingattheviewfromthetop_zps72b3bde1.jpg~origina l

I'll also have an update in the next few days on pre-orders for the Jake & Oy Silflay sculpture (and orders for the CR sculpture for those that have asked for them too). I'll post here, send emails out and update my website with the details.

Just about finished painting and sculpting the Haven Fund piece for Bad Penny and finishing up a few loose ends, packaging, insurance shipping, Crimson King sculpture, mould making, casting, artwork for Carrie cases to be shipped and another piece for Dick Olson etc.

Patrick
07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Glad the fundraiser went well. Nice view up there! Good to see you again, Rachel. Thanks for all the updates.

east-tennessee
07-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Looking Good !! Thanks for the update.

Brian..

Ben Staad
07-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Glad the fundraiser went well and looks like you had an amazing day. Keep up the great work and please keep smiling.

Shannon
07-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the pics. Looks like fun. :)

Bad Penny
07-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Great pix Rachel, and will certainly be looking forward to more news on the CK sculpture (and the Carrie case artwork) !!!! :nana:

Merlin1958
07-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Does she "Rock" or what?

Brilliant, Rachel!!! You go girl!!!

:clap::clap:

Rachel Readman
07-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I am now ready to take pre-orders for Jake & Oy 'Silflay' sculptures which are pictured earlier in this thread and on my website, rachelreadman.com.

Cold cast polyeurethane resin in hand painted, bronze or silver finish editions. The sculptures are mounted onto a custom profile cherry wood base and each have an individually numbered stainless steel limitation plate with enamelled detailing. Presentation boxes are hot foil embossed and foam and satin lined. All sculptures come supplied with a signed certificate of authenticity.

There will be just 50 individually hand painted edition pieces available worldwide and 200 in either bronze or silver finish depending on customer choice of finish.

Previous customers who currently own Constant Reader sculptures can reserve their matching number, those who have bronze or silver can also match numbers to their Constant Reader piece in any finish of the Silflay piece. Please state your required number and finish when ordering and I will match this to my records. Just to be absolutely clear: You do NOT have to own a Constant Reader sculpture to purchase a Jake & Oy piece in any finish but once 50 Hand painted are sold they will then only be available in bronze or silver. As there were 19 Hand Painted Constant Reader sculptures if the matching numbers are all claimed by the owners of those then that would leave 31 that could be sold to ANY customer.

If you do not wish to purchase the new piece then please inform me via email so that I can make them available to other customers. Pre-orders for matching numbers must be placed by 10th August, 2013. I cannot hold the numbers indefinately so if I have not had a response by this date then the numbers will be made available to other customers. E-mails will be sent to previous customers' addresses which I have on record from previous purchases.

As my sculptures are all made to order by hand, they will only be made when orders are placed and paid in full. Once paid I unfortunately cannot cancel orders due to the cost and time involved in making each piece. My sculptures require a lot of labour time, hand painted editions especially so. As I am a one-woman business it will be anywhere up to one month from the date you place your order to ship. If I have a large influx of 50 orders come in all at once for example then this could potentially be much longer. Rest assured that all orders will be fulfilled as quickly as possible and in date order. I would appreciate customer patience in this regard.

Prices and Ordering

Orders can be placed by email and my email address can be found on my website rachelreadman.com

Prices for Jake and Oy 'Silflay' include shipping, packing and insurance as follows:

UK customers £250

Rest of the world £275. This price reflects the extra costs of shipping and insurance compared with UK to UK

For customers who wish to purchase a bronze or silver Constant Reader sculpture, prices are:

£100 plus shipping (currently shipping price to USA is £36 but may vary in future)

Due to the size and weight of the sculptures, combined shipping and/or two sculptures in one box is not possible. I can send two sculptures in separate boxes but as one consignment, however, this would not change the above shipping costs.

I also cannot ship to P.O. Box addresses.

Customs duties, import taxes, local state taxes etc may be payable in your region and are the responsibility of the customer to pay.

Payment can be made via paypal or for UK customers cheque payment can be accepted if preferred all payments must be made in GBP £ sterling and invoices/payment requests will be sent out from Paypal when you have placed your orders via email.

I look forward to taking your orders and if anyone has any questions or requires further information please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you for your continued custom, support and friendship! :rose:

Rachel

Shannon
07-09-2013, 04:09 PM
:heart:

You rock, Rachel. I'm sure all the handpainted ones will sell out in no time! :)

Robert Fulman
07-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Cheese and whiskers, Shannon, you knocked her announcement off the page. Also, anyone on the fence should go for it. I love admiring my Constant Reader (with Alex McVey Oy)

https://imageshack.com/a/img542/6669/sam3169.jpg

Patrick
07-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi Rachel, congrats on getting to the stage where you are ready to take orders. Looks like we have up to 30 days to pay. Cool. Anyway, I am in for my matching #3.

Question: What is your estimated timing on taking orders for the CK sculpture? Hopefully payment for both of these projects won't be needed back-to-back.

Randall Flagg
07-09-2013, 06:44 PM
2013 will go down as the most interesting and expensive year for King books and related projects that I know of.
Fabulous, but certainly a hit to the pocketbook.

Patrick
07-09-2013, 06:51 PM
True, Jerome! It will be interesting to see who here buys a sculpture, especially the matching number ones. Maybe tippy4 will start a list of numbers. :)

dnemec
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Oh no...looks like I will be spending more money! Where will it end?! :panic:

east-tennessee
07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
2013 will go down as the most interesting and expensive year for King books and related projects that I know of.
Fabulous, but certainly a hit to the pocketbook.

You can say that again RF.......:sweat_002:
Put me down for a matching #10 Jake & Oy........
Excuse me while I run off........ and sell some items...:eek:

Brian...

Shannon
07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Oh no...looks like I will be spending more money! Where will it end?! :panic:

*laughs hysterically

Rachel Readman
07-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Hi Rachel, congrats on getting to the stage where you are ready to take orders. Looks like we have up to 30 days to pay. Cool. Anyway, I am in for my matching #3.

Question: What is your estimated timing on taking orders for the CK sculpture? Hopefully payment for both of these projects won't be needed back-to-back.

Thanks Patrick, I will send invoices out to those who wish to order. Basically if you can't pay right now and want to wait a while (up to 30 days) then when you are ready email me and I will send an invoice.

Now the Crimson King, I am currently having flight cases made for it. When I get the design finalised on the cases and one made, I will send a finished sculpture off to Michael Whelan. It has taken far longer than I had planned to get to this stage. In all honesty I could post pictures of the sculpture right now (and believe me I am dying to show you all) but I feel that it is only right that I let Michael see it in hand and give me the nod before I do.

So let's see, maybe say another 2-3 weeks for cases then another week to ship to Michael. A week for Michael to get back to me and us to have a bit of a chat, then maybe a week to talk things through with Audrey on the retail end and say a grace time of 2 weeks for me to prep and get the admin side ready. By then I might be part way into painting Jake and Oy sculptures and I can't do both. So depending on the Jake and Oy orders, we are looking realistically at least 8 weeks before I am anywhere near ready. Given that 50 Jake and Oy hand painted pieces will be months of work plus any bronze or silver to add to this, I can't predict of course. Obviously I hope the 50 sell out fast so I can plan things and get on with the work as quickly as possible. I will make sure I give a reasonable timeframe for the Crimson King orders and payments when the time comes, I don't want to put everyone under financial pressure.

Rachel Readman
07-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Cheese and whiskers, Shannon, you knocked her announcement off the page. Also, anyone on the fence should go for it. I love admiring my Constant Reader (with Alex McVey Oy)

(Now you can have an RR Jake & Oy to go with your Constant Reader instead) :biggrin::thumbsup:.

Rachel Readman
07-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I have now sent Emails and PM's to everyone on my contacts lists and I think everyone else has already posted here anyway and already know about the pre-orders. My apologies to anyone who I may have missed.

Some bounced back as old email addresses no longer in use and for those people I sent PM's instead if they are members here. A few were members of .net back in the day and are not members here so I have no way to contact them and then there is Karen French, is she a member here and if so can anyone tell me her member name? Is it still 'Kymatty'?

So far I have had 5 emails failed including Karen so there will likely be 5 sculpture numbers in hand painted that will go unclaimed by previous purchasers.

jhanic
07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Karen's screen name here is Nerak. We haven't heard from her for a while.

John

Randall Flagg
07-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Karen's screen name here is Nerak. We haven't heard from her for a while.

John
She hasn't logged in in almost 2 months. David from Betts may have her address. The phone # I have for her is disconnected.

Patrick
07-10-2013, 12:19 PM
I am friends with Karen on Facebook, Rachel.

Also, as I you may recall, I am not the original owner of #3. I purchased it on eBay a few years ago. And I am still glad I did!

Please shoot me a PM if you need contact info for outside of this website.

Rachel Readman
07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Thank you Jerome, much obliged. What the hell happened with her and DMG? Please PM me if you guys can enlighten me as Karen really was a good friend and the email I got from DMG was unsettling to say the least.

If you could let her know the details Patrick that would be a help even if she comes back and says that she cannot or does not want it.

No matter if you are the original owner, current owner or never bought before, it's all good and I'm happy to work with everyone on the payment! I just can't go making orders that are not guaranteed to be paid due to the financial implications is all.

Patrick
07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I will reach out to Karen and ask her to read these updates and respond to you, Rachel.

My comment about being the owner of #3 was in the spirit of saving you the effort of contacting the original owner.

Patrick
07-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Rachel, I sent a note to Karen. Hopefully she'll check in and say hello. :)

Nerak
07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Hello!!!! Lol. Thanks Patrick for letting me know that Rachel has been lookin for me. I will send u a PM in a bit.. this site doesn't aork to well on my phone. Lol
Talk soon
Karen

Rachel Readman
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Wow that was bloody quick, modern technology hey, the world is a much smaller and faster place these days LOL.

Hi Karen How's it going?? Look forward to hearing from you!!

Rachel Readman
07-16-2013, 03:30 AM
Hey all,

I'm going to be starting casting sculptures this afternoon for orders that have been paid for. Cherry wood bases for those are also on the task list.

For those who have not placed and paid their orders, the sooner you can do this the higher up the queue you will be and I can get casting done and bases made in bigger batches which makes it faster and more efficient, then I can get on with painting and finishing the pieces.

Thanks everyone for your orders so far!

Rachel Readman
07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Here is a picture of the new presentation case for the Silflay sculpture along with a Constant Reader case. The hot foiling is going to be twice the size on the finished boxes. Foam and white satin lining to both the lid and the case.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/The%20Roundhouse/House014_zpsde11b095.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/The%20Roundhouse/House015_zps4fab2968.jpg~original

I've also updated my website www.rachelreadman.com

east-tennessee
07-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Looking Good Rachel.!....Thanks for the updates....

Brian.

Bad Penny
07-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Awesomely brilliant Rachel - cannot wait to receive mine !!!! :excited:

Rachel Readman
07-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Nearly done Grant just waiting on UV varnish drying and presentation boxes. You're a patient patient, The best kind!

Bad Penny
07-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Nearly done Grant just waiting on UV varnish drying and presentation boxes. You're a patient patient, The best kind!

The leather restraints, padded walls and copious medication are the only things that make me thus Rachel :P

Patrick
07-17-2013, 12:48 PM

The leather restraints, padded walls and copious medication are the only things that make me thus Rachel :P
And a healthy dose of fine 20-year scotch. :D

Bad Penny
07-17-2013, 12:53 PM

And a healthy dose of fine 20-year scotch. :D

:emot-roflolmao: Touche, Patrick, Touche :emot-roflolmao:

Patrick
07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
:lol: :couple:

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 01:17 PM

Get a room you two!!! LOL

:dance:

Bad Penny
07-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Come on Wild Bill, don't let jealousy spoil a beautiful relationship, ya know I still love ya :P

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Come on Wild Bill, don't let jealousy spoil a beautiful relationship, ya know I still love ya :P

:emot-roflolmao:

Rachel Readman
07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
The list of orders for the Jake & Oy Silflay sculpture is expanding by the day so if possible please get orders in ASAP. Also a reminder that the deadline to confirm your matching number orders to the Constant Reader sculpture is 10th August.

Thanks again to everyone who has ordered and paid, I am in the middle of casting your sculptures right now.

Flight cases for the Crimson King sculpture are now designed and I will have the finished sample 19th August (possibly before), then more will be made as long as the sample checks out OK.

Patrick
07-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Looking forward to opening Jake & Oy #3! :)

Rachel Readman
07-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks Patrick received your payment.

sideous
07-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Glad I've got my order in. I can't wait to see the Crimson King sculptures.

The list of orders for the Jake & Oy Silflay sculpture is expanding by the day so if possible please get orders in ASAP. Also a reminder that the deadline to confirm your matching number orders to the Constant Reader sculpture is 10th August.

Thanks again to everyone who has ordered and paid, I am in the middle of casting your sculptures right now.

Flight cases for the Crimson King sculpture are now designed and I will have the finished sample 19th August (possibly before), then more will be made as long as the sample checks out OK.

Rachel Readman
08-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Won't be long with the Crimson King now...

Anyone who hasn't already reserved matching numbers of Silflay to Constant Reader sculptures please do so soon, the deadline is 10th August 2013. You don't have to pay immediately but have to be sure you definitely want your matching number. If you do not reserve your number it will be sold.

Just to clear up any confusion, you DO NOT have to own a Constant Reader sculpture to be able to purchase the hand painted, bronze, or silver Jake & Oy 'Silflay' sculptures.

Merlin1958
08-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Lord, I wish I was in a position to obtain one of these. However, I am a new "Grandpa" and have to start thinking about "Merlin IV"!!! Rachel? You do some truly amazing work!!! You "go" girl!!!

Bad Penny
08-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Part 1 ....

After what seemed an eternity (it wasn't, it just felt that way) Rachel Readman's Jake & Oy "Silflay" sculpture (which I was fortunate to have been the successful bidder for in the 2013 Haven Foundation round of auctions) has finally arrived in Australia :dance:

Rachel has gone above and beyond with this piece (additional add-on items that are not part of the standard sculpture) - and, as a surprise bonus, generously included my very first piece of Rachel Readman original art - which will be heading to the framers and onto the art wall (ceiling?) before this week is out :excited:

I'll shut up now and let the pictures do the talking (except to say that if anyone here on the forum is sitting on the fence about acquiring one of these pieces - fall of it and get one!!!) :P

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO22.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO23.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO21.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO6.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO7.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO8.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO10.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO11.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO12.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO13.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO14.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO15.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO16.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO17.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO19.jpg

Bad Penny
08-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Part 2 ....

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO20.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO5.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO4.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO3.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO2.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO1.jpg

Additional details not included on the other sculptures ...

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO9.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO30.jpg

In-situ in the reading room with the 2012 Haven Foundation auction piece by Rachel (Constant Reader) ....

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO27.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO28.jpg

The bonus surprise artwork that accompanied the sculpture (I love it) !!!!

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO24.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO26.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Jake%20and%20Oy%20Silflay%20Sculpture%20Rachel%20R eadman/JO25.jpg

Merlin1958
08-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Whoa!!! Mighty freaking brilliant, mate!!!

Randall Flagg
08-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Very impressive. Glad you bid and won.

Patrick
08-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Fantastic!

Rachel Readman
08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Really impressed with your photos Grant and good to see that it arrived OK. Brilliant that you are so happy with everything and thanks for your unending support of the Haven Foundation and of course my work too!

I've now cast the first batch of orders for the sculpture so Mick thought it might be nice to grab some photos for you all, so here goes:

Your sculptures in progress:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/MRHOMEPC2/Jake%20_%20Oy%20In%20progress/JakeOy-Silflay002_zps918d14fb.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/MRHOMEPC2/Jake%20_%20Oy%20In%20progress/JakeOy-Silflay001_zpsbb2e541d.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/MRHOMEPC2/Jake%20_%20Oy%20In%20progress/JakeOy-Silflay003_zpsdda4fc62.jpg~original

The antique silver finish Silflay all polished and ready to be mounted onto it's base:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/MRHOMEPC2/Jake%20_%20Oy%20In%20progress/JakeOy-Silflay004_zps425c48a0.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/MRHOMEPC2/Jake%20_%20Oy%20In%20progress/JakeOy-Silflay005_zps6feab8b8.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/MRHOMEPC2/Jake%20_%20Oy%20In%20progress/JakeOy-Silflay008_zps491ddd5c.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/MRHOMEPC2/Jake%20_%20Oy%20In%20progress/JakeOy-Silflay006_zpsdce16242.jpg~original

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/MRHOMEPC2/Jake%20_%20Oy%20In%20progress/JakeOy-Silflay007_zps1f8eff37.jpg~original

The flight case for the Crimson King is all done and ready to go, it turned out really great. I'll be sending a sculpture off to Michael Whelan and having some discussion before I show the sculpture but it won't be long now!

Cheers all,
Rachel

Bad Penny
08-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Excellent to see the Silflay's rolling out there Rachel - it's awesome to see these "behind the scenes" pix :smile:

Patrick
08-08-2013, 01:03 PM
That silver polish looks great, Rachel. I'm impressed.

I want a Charlie the Choo Choo book, like Grant has, too! :)

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 06:09 AM
I simply couldn't go against the Haven Fund/DT.org contractual agreements. The Crow Man would fire me and Grant would lock me up in 'The Cellar' with Chadbourne.

Patrick
08-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I simply couldn't go against the Haven Fund/DT.org contractual agreements. The Crow Man would fire me and Grant would lock me up in 'The Cellar' with Chadbourne.
How about the Wizard of Oz then? :D

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Hmm, well technically there is nothing stopping me from customising but I won't be doing it for free, it will cost a fair bit.

Randall Flagg
08-09-2013, 11:34 AM
How about the Wizard of Oz then? :D
Too late, I reserved that one.

JK

Patrick
08-09-2013, 11:54 AM
I figured you would have reserved Juggs magazine or the equivalent.

Randall Flagg
08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
That's a great idea. Maybe Susannah topless?

Patrick
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
:panic:

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Steady boys, lol

Bad Penny
08-09-2013, 02:34 PM

I'd let you out on weekends, mostly :evil:

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Well at least I could admire your collection in person midweek, through the feeding hatch.

Bad Penny
08-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Well at least I could admire your collection in person midweek, through the feeding hatch.

Food ? Who said anything about food ? :P

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 03:22 PM
You're a savage Penny hehe

Bad Penny
08-09-2013, 04:54 PM
You're a savage Penny hehe

Sigh ... 'tis true ... I'm a remorseless individual - oh, and the pay sucks, too :evil:

Shannon
08-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Love the pictures. As long as Ambannon Books is in business, we will be partnering up with Rachel Readman as often as her schedule (and our bank account) allows it. :)

By the way, a little trivia, the In Mint Condition: 2013 paperback and hardcover cover design --not the artwork, but the overall design-- is credited to Ms. Readman.

Patrick
08-09-2013, 06:31 PM
In that case, I'd like to have Jake reading a copy of IN MINT CONDITION. :D

Rachel Readman
08-10-2013, 04:42 AM
LOL 'Int 'Ition 'Ake.

Shannon and Amber :huglove:

Cook
08-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Rachel,
Your art is truly amazing.
Congratulations on starting the first Silflay batch !!

Rachel Readman
08-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Thank you Richard!

Merlin1958
08-10-2013, 04:16 PM
That's a great idea. Maybe Susannah topless?

Pardon the interruption, Rachel, but I do love this Dameron Remarque that is to my knowledge the first ever "Remarque Porn" It's also the first "Susannah Topless" I am aware of in existence. NSFW

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/1690/005lsm.jpg

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming. :cool:

Randall Flagg
08-10-2013, 08:18 PM
That is the image I had in mind, though I doubt Jake ever saw it in a book...(maybe a magazine).

Rachel Readman
08-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Funny but I did consider the idea of The Wizard Of Oz for the Haven Auction piece. I was thinking about having the ruby slippers in the sculpture either on the ground next to them or both Jake and Oy actually wearing them. I decided against it as the scene I had originally designed the sculpture on would have been set before this at the end of TDoTT beginning of W&G.

I've also considered a sculpture of Roland and Susan Delgado together in a naked embrace.

The Dameron remarque is probably the only naked/semi naked image (apart from my Carrie shower scene which is a barely visible nip) that I have ever seen too, at least in the King realm of remarques.

How about Jake reading a copy of Penthouse with a King piece on one page and Susannah on the other? (Of course I couldn't really do this because of Copyrights).

Merlin1958
08-11-2013, 03:58 PM
You got me thinking... copyrights can be a bitch, but what about something "based" on one of the covers? Would it be enough to say, add a "Wolf of the Calla" to a sculpture based on the cover of TWOTC, for instance? Your own "take" on it of course.

Shannon
08-11-2013, 05:00 PM
I would imagine that personalized books would be a pain in the ass to do, no? Or maybe do you scratch the titles/artwork in after the mold?

Rachel Readman
08-12-2013, 05:31 AM
There is no short answer to your question Bill as it is both yes and no and depends...

Firstly Steve King has his copyright, secondly the artist MAY hold the copyright to the image they made but then the publisher may have purchased the image from the artist including the copyright, reproduction and derivative rights. The publisher could equally have only paid a one off fee to produce say 1000 books using the image.

Here is some information for those who wish to read it and understand what people like me are faced with...and just to be on the safe side...

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS ACCURATE, CORRECT OR GUARANTEED IN LAW. THE LAWS IN YOUR COUNTRY MAY DIFFER TO THE LAWS IN OTHER COUNTRIES AND YOU SHOULD SEEK ADVICE FROM A SUITABLY QUALIFIED SPECIALIST LAWYER IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT.

I have to be very careful with Copyrights. In the simplest iteration/explanation an IDEA cannot be Copyright so the IDEA of a wolf on horseback holding a sword of sorts is not Copyright but doing something that looks even similar or exactly the same as any other artwork that already exists is a breach of the copyright. I can do my own design of anything to a degree but there are risks and grey areas in Copyright law. Many laws are tried and tested in other cases that have already been judged in the past and these cases have set certain boundaries, these cases are often referred to in new cases. The fact is that there are so many grey areas it is really difficult to judge.

Copyright protection does not extend to the following, therefore permission is not required for you to use them:

Works for which the copyright has expired.

Works federal government employees produced within the scope of their employment.

Works clearly and explicitly donated to the public domain.

Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or spontaneous speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded).

Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents.

Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration.

Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and contains no original authorship (for example, standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources).

There are a lot of myths surrounding Copyrights for example -

I am only using a very small portion of the material so I don't need permission.
I bought the item so I own it and can therefor do what I wish.
Ignorance, lack of intent to infringe or not knowing the law is a defence.
Non profit or educational use is acceptable.
The work doesn't have a Copright notice so it is fair game.
I don't need permission because I am going to alter the work I copy.
I live in a different country to the Copyright holder so I don't need permission.
Items published on the internet are public domain and do not carry copyright.
If I give full credit to the original author then I can copy something.
If I don't defend my copyrights then I will lose the copyright.

The Wolves are a particularly dodgy area because of the lightsabers, Marvel's Doctor Doom, Sneetches, Harry Pothead, Dr. Seuss etc etc. Claiming endorsement or using King's name or likeness would also be bad news. Lucas (and now Disney since they have bought into the Star Wars franchise) and Marvel are known to be extremely protective over their rights.

The thing is a lot depends on the Copyright owner, how protective they are over their work and whether it would be worth their time and money to sue, whether your work enhances their name or designs and upholds their integrity or is detrimental to it, whether you are considered to be making a derivative work and whether you are denying or preventing the owner from receiving potential income.

If you have made an original piece that can be considered to be a new work because it is all your own design, is significantly different to the orignal and has a minimal level of your own creativity (this is a grey area in law, some say 15% diffrence is enough but I don't agree) and is in an entirely different form such as sculpture instead of written word then it could be seen as a new design and not a derivative, especially if there are no other visual references available. It must be a work of skill, labour and judgement; minor alterations that do not substantially alter the original would not qualify.

There are certain Fair Use situations for educational use, libraries and archives.

Copyrights are immediate upon creation of the original work and require no registration, they last until 70 years after the death of the copyright owner. It is also possible that you could have a judge rule in your favour only to have it overturned at appeal.

If you create something whilst employed by a company or business then they own the copyright not you.

Obtaining permission should be an easy to maneuver, straighforward process: you write to apply with all the details of what you wish to do, you are given a yes or no and if it's a yes iron out the fine details and pay a fee (if you can afford the fee) sign any agreements/contracts and get on with the job. This in my experience is never the case, especially with big names such as movie studios or writers such as King. It's either they don't reply and just ignore you, ask for extortionate fees that are way out of league with what you would make in profit from the venture or they expect you to have a million £/$ copyright lawyer to write up contracts and handle everything. In many cases the owner puts so many restrictions, clauses and limits into the deal that it makes it impossible for you to actually do what you intended. Others are plain sailing and great people to work with, one example is Michael Whelan and the Crimson King-absolutely brilliant!! One well known movie studio for example asked me for $50,000 to be able to make just one single original sculpture of one of the characters from a film. I would have had to charge $50,000 plus costs, labour etc to the client who wished to commission the work to be able to go ahead!!

I did read not too long ago that if you request permission and the owner does not respoond but does not say no then you can go ahead after a certain length of time. I am sure it was on the website of a Copyright Lawyer. I suspect this might be wrong and that it is another myth or that the law has been changed and this no longer applies.

So there are huge if, what and but, and, or, because grey areas but many areas that are concrete, it's a minefield. There are many authors out there that would see what I do as original, interesting, enhancing and very skilled so they would not wish to cause me any problems but there are many who would be on me like a rash if they could find fault and reason.

Rachel Readman
08-12-2013, 05:33 AM
"I would imagine that personalized books would be a pain in the ass to do, no? Or maybe do you scratch the titles/artwork in after the mold?"

The Jake & Oy for the Haven Fund that Grant (Bad Penny) bought, this was cast from the mould the same as all the others but the sign to Lud and the Charlie The Choo Choo book, I sculpted by hand seperately as one off pieces then attached them and painted them when I painted the entire sculpture.

I could sculpt each book individually or I could sculpt one book, take a mould of the book, cast from that mould multiple books and then paint or carve each book differently with different pictures, text or titles etc and attach each to the sculptures. If I was only going to do say two or three, then it wouldn't be worth me messing around taking a mould etc but more than this and it would be quicker and easier to mould and cast them.

Rachel Readman
08-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Michael Whelan and I have been conversing for the past few days regarding the Crimson King sculpture...

I have the seal of approval on the sculpture and Michael is now officially converted from not being a fan of painted sculptures! I'll be sending a hand painted one to him in a little while along with the certificates to be signed.

We still have some things to discuss over the next week but all being well, I hope to have photos of the finished sculptures up here very soon.

The painted Silflay sculptures are coming along nicely. I just shipped the first (non painted) one out today and I have 4 clear days of holidays coming up from my day job to work on painting.

Robert Fulman
08-20-2013, 05:40 AM
That first sculpture is mine! I can't wait to get it.

Dolso
08-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Michael Whelan and I have been conversing for the past few days regarding the Crimson King sculpture...

I have the seal of approval on the sculpture and Michael is now officially converted from not being a fan of painted sculptures! I'll be sending a hand painted one to him in a little while along with the certificates to be signed.

We still have some things to discuss over the next week but all being well, I hope to have photos of the finished sculptures up here very soon.

The painted Silflay sculptures are coming along nicely. I just shipped the first (non painted) one out today and I have 4 clear days of holidays coming up from my day job to work on painting.

If this is anything close to what I've seen of your art in the past - and it must be if Micheal Whelan is impressed - I am VERY looking forward to seeing it!!

(I don't think the English in my post is correct, is it?)

boq
08-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Ooooo! Someone's been busy!

Got your email a couple of weeks ago Rachel and promptly lost it :(

I'll catch-up on the threads here...

Best to yourself and Mick :D

Rachel Readman
08-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Hey Bob, I was wondering where you had got to and if you had changed your email address. Nice to see you back on the forum and our best to you too!!

boq
08-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Been "off" The Dark Tower for a wee while... preparing for a straight-through re-read :) Been dodging hard work too - it's a full-time job, dodging work.

Your Jake&Oy sculpts are looking fabulous! Looking forward to seeing the CK.

Going to be down your way for a couple of days next week... well, close-ish. Visiting Monkey World near Bournemouth. I'm bad for mixing up Dorset, Devon and Cornwall :)

Rachel Readman
08-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks Bob, won't be too long and the Crimson King will be unmasked, almost literally!

Close-ish to Cornwall, but only about another 200 miles to my house, I live right at the other end of the peninsula. I might have said pop round for a coffee but 200 miles is hardly popping round.

Careful of those monkeys, they like to throw things, pee at people and masturbate for the camera LOL.

boq
08-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Just like home then :D

Rachel Readman
08-22-2013, 09:22 AM
I suppose so, very much like Penzance and Newquay on Friday and Saturday nights. LOL

Probably easier to say "Very much like (Enter just about any UK town or city centre here)"

Robert Fulman
08-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Lookee what arrived on my doorstep today:

http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/843/jarr.jpg

As #s 1- 16 of Constant Reader are of the hand-painted variety, my pair of #17s is the lowest numbered matching set of non-painted statues out there (actually, I believe I have the only pair out there):

http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/547/acpx.jpg

My wife gives the best anniversary presents.

Merlin1958
08-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Those look absolutely wonderful!!! Great acquisition and Happy Anniversary!!! How many years?

Patrick
08-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Just got caught up on this thread. Insightful and interesting. Thanks, Rachel.

Robert Fulman, those look great! Congrats and happy anniversary!

Robert Fulman
08-27-2013, 03:35 PM
I was admiring my statue, and I just noticed the #19 behind Jake's head. It's a pretty neat detail:

http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/843/jarr.jpg

Rachel Readman
08-28-2013, 02:50 AM
I wasn't sure if anyone had actually noticed that or that it was so obvious that nobody thought it worth pointing out.

I'm glad to know that it arrived safely and you are enjoying it Robert. Hope you had a great anniversary and gave Laurie lots of love!

I'm down to painting the finer details on the sculptures now so won't be too long before I put final UV protection coats on and begin shipping them out.

Bad Penny
08-29-2013, 10:32 PM

That's brilliant news Rachel - and I, for one, am pleased that Michael's been converted to the "painted" side in relation to the CK sculptures !!! :smile:

Bad Penny
09-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Another fantastic Dolso creation (with added Rachel Readman goodness in the form of cover etch and insert art) - Carrie, Letter C (housing my US 1st/1st edition).

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C3.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C1.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C4.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C2.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C5.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C6.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C7.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C8.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/Carrie/C9.jpg

Bad Penny
09-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Another fine example of Rachel's work (and Dolso's, too, of course) - a great art piece by Rachel Readman etched into the cover of this traycase which now houses my UK 1st/1st trade :smile:

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/The%20Stand/S8.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/The%20Stand/S7.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/The%20Stand/S9.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/The%20Stand/S10.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/GrantWootton/The%20Stand/S6.jpg

Dolso
09-05-2013, 07:13 AM
I think this would be just 6 pieces of wood if it wasn't for Rachel's great art! That's what makes it special!

I had to crop it a bit in order to fit it onto the case -- this is the original (but not as hi resolution as she sent it......

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/The_Stand_-_Hemingford_Home_small_doc.jpg

Any new news on Crimson King?

By the way, did you know that it's Merlin 1958's birthday today?

Rachel Readman
09-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Wow, I've missed everything here this past week or so, sorry guys been out of the loop working on painting sculptures!

"Poor piggy" (as said in your collection thread) is exactly how I felt when working on that one, but the blood and gore somehow suits you Grant.

The Stand case turned out great Dick, looks a lot deeper and 3d-esque from the angled picture Grant has shown. "Just six pieces of wood" Come on, now you are being modest! Without your great craftsmanship and skill there would be no case so I certainly can't take too much praise.

The Crimson King, I'm waiting on certificates being delivered as my supplier was out of stock but as soon as I get them I'll get them off to Michael to be signed and sent back. I'm just casting two more painted editions, one for Michael and Audrey and one for Stephen King so I'll get them painted and on their way soon. More on the Crimson King in about the next half hour!!!!

The Silflay orders are almost finished now, I'm just adding the finishing details to the paintwork on them all, then I'll add the coats of UV protection and begin shipping them out to everyone.

Rachel Readman
09-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Before I get to the 'goods' I won't be showing the painted version until Michael has seen it in person (even though he has given it his blessing) and at the moment I won't be taking orders, giving pricing or availability info etc. OK here goes with the BIG one, I hope you all like the result!!

"He Sat On His Throne Which Is Made Of Skulls"

All Hail the (bronze) Crimson King!!!

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase2_zps0f7d6019.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase1_zps739cad4f.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase3_zps24f6bf58.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase7_zps4c164277.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase12_zps1e1c86cf.jpg~o riginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase8_zps8618cb71.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase15_zps7ed0dc57.jpg~o riginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase17_zps1bea9b37.jpg~o riginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase13_zps20225d67.jpg~o riginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase20_zps06d21688.jpg~o riginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase4_zps6b836338.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase6_zps41ad7900.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase14_zpsecca6867.jpg~o riginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase9_zpsa343cd2b.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase5_zps22a17830.jpg~or iginal

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/CrimsonKingBronzeampWoodenBase10_zps3db8df71.jpg~o riginal

Lastly, the nameplate which will be mounted into the bottom of each sculpture base, this one is currently not numbered:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/darktowernetbooksigningtour/Bronze%20Crimson%20King/Nameplate_zpsfff9dc6f.jpg~original