PDA

View Full Version : Books about King and his work

biomieg
11-26-2010, 12:33 AM
There is one subject within the realm of collecting King that I don't know much about and that is books about King and/or his work. Since we all like reference lists I thought it would be nice to have one with all books about King as well.

A big thanks to John for sending me the following list and allowing me to use it here. I took the liberty of editing it a little bit and including only books, so no print articles about King's work.

I encourage anyone who cares to submit more information, i.e., books that are not yet on the list, S/L versions of books etcetera. Just post a reply and I will update the master list in this first post. UK editions are also welcome.

Books about King and/or his work

Stephen King (Starmont Readers Guide #16) - Winter, Doug [1982] Starmont House
Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King - Underwood and Miller [1982] Underwood Miller
Stephen King: The Art of Darkness - Winter, Doug [1984] NAL Books
Discovering Stephen King - Schweitzer, Darrel [1985] Starmont House
Stephen King as Richard Bachman - Collings, Michael [1985] Starmont House
The Shorter Works of Stephen King - Collings and Engelbretson [1985] Starmont House
The Many Facets of Stephen King - Collings, Michael [1985] Starmont House
A Checklist and Bibliography - Haskell, Owen [1985] Other Worlds
Kingdom of Fear: The World of Stephen King - Underwood and Miller [1986] Underwood Miller
The Annotated Guide to Stephen King - Collings, Michael [1986] Starmont House
The Films of Stephen King - Collings, Michael [7/1986] Starmont House
Stephen King at the Movies - Horsting, Jessie [9/1986] Starlog Signet Special
The Compleat Stephen King Vol. 1 - Van Hise, James [1/1987]
The Stephen King Phenomenon - Collings, Michael [1987] Starmont House
The Gothic World of Stephen King - Hoppenstand and Browne [1987] Starmont House
Bare Bones: Conversations with Stephen King - Underwood and Miller [1988] Underwood Miller
Reign of Fear: Fiction and Film of Stephen King - Herron, Don [1988] Underwood Miller
Stephen King: The First Decade (Carrie to Pet Sematary) - edited by Jose Reino [1988] Twayne Publishers
The Unseen King - Blue, Tyson [1989] Starmont House
Feast of Fear: Conversations with Stephen King - Underwood and Miller [1989] Underwood Miller
The Stephen King Companion - Beahm, George [1989] Andrews McNeal
The Stephen King Companion - Beahm, George [1990] McDonald
The Moral Voyages of Stephen King - Magistrale, Anthony [1989] Starmont House
The Stephen King Quiz Book - Spignesi, Steven [1990] Signet
Stephen King: Man and Artist - Terrrel, Carroll [1990] Northern Lights Press
The Shining Reader - Magistrale, Anthony [1991] Starmont House
The Shape Under the Sheet: The Stephen King Encyclopedia - Spignesi, Steven [1991] Popular Culture Ink
The Stephen King Story - Beahm, George [1991] Andrews McNeal
Grimoire 2 The Art of Kenny Ray Linkhous - Beahm, George [1991] GB Books
The Second Stephen King Quizbook - Spignesi, Steven [1992] Signet
A Casebook on The Stand - Magistrale, Anthony [1992] Starmont House
Stephen King: The Second Decade (Danse Macabre to The Dark Half) - edited by Tony Magistrale [1992] Twayne Publishers
Stephen King: America's Best-Loved Boogeyman - Beahm, George [1995] Andrews McNeal
The Stephen King Companion Revised Edition - Beahm, George [1995] Andres & McNeal
The Work of Stephen King - Collings, Michael ]1996] Borgo Press
Stephen King from A to Z - Beahm, George [1998] Andrews McNeal
The Lost Work of Stephen King - Spignesi, Steven [1998] Birch Lane Press
Stephen King Country - Beahm, George [1998] Andrews McNeal
Stephen King Collectibles - Beahm, George [1999] GB Books
Stephen King - A Reader's Checklist and Reference Guide CheckerBee Checklist [10/1999]
The Essential Stephen King - Spignesi, Steven [2001]
Horror Plum'd: Bibliography and Guide - Collings, Michael [2002] Overlook Connection Press
The Dark Tower Concordance Volume I - Furth, Robin [2004]
The Dark Tower Concordance Volume II - Furth, Robin [2005]
Dissecting Stephen King - Strengel, Holly [2005] Popular Press
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Vincent, Bev [2005] Cemetery Dance
The Road to the Dark Tower - Vincent, Bev [2005] Cemetery Dance
Stephen King: Unpublished, Uncollected - Woods, Rocky [2006] Cemetery Dance
The Dark Tower Concordance Complete - Furth, Robin [2006]
Stephen King Universe - Wiater, Stanley [2006]
Stephen King: The Non-Fiction - Woods, Rocky [2007] Cemetery Dance
Stephen King: A Primary Bibliography - Brooks, Justin [2008] Cemetery Dance
Stephen King: A Primary Bibliography Appendix 1 - Brooks, Justin [2008] Cemetery Dance
Stephen King: A Primary Bibliography Appendix 2 - Brooks, Justin [2008] Cemetery Dance
Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of SK - Rogak, Lisa [2009] Thomas Dunne Books
Stephen King Illustrated Companion - Vincent, Bev [2009] Barnes & Noble
Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King - Beahm, George [2009] Centipede Press (slipcased gift edition)
Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King - Beahm, George [2009] Centipede Press (traycased signed artist's edition)
Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King - Beahm, George [2009] Centipede Press (traycased signed deluxe edition)
Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Compete Concordance - Furth, Robin [2010] Cemetery Dance
Wetware: On the Digital Frontline with Stephen King - Kevin Quigley [2010] Cemetery Dance
Lilja's Library: The World of Stephen King - Lilja, Hans-Åke [2010] Cemetery Dance

biomieg
11-26-2010, 04:23 AM
Oh, and any anecdotal information on these books is also welcome of course, as well as your personal opinion about them. This thread is not just meant for reference but also for education :)

herbertwest
11-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Good thread!
Should we also put foreign ones?

Patrick
11-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Wow, that is quite a list that John compiled! :thumbsup:

thegreattim
11-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I have two books that are a scholarly type overview or King's work covering the first two decades. I never been able to find out if the publishing company continued on with the series or not. They came from a library discard sale.

1) Stephen King: The First Decade - Carrie to Pet Sematary (http://www.librarything.com/work/6251164/details/12818641) edited by Jose Reino
2) Stephen King: The Second Decade - Danse Macabre to The Dark Half (http://www.librarything.com/work/2599855/details/12818536) edited by Tony Magistrale

Links go to my LibraryThign account where they are cataloged with a bit more info (ISBN / Publisher...) though not much more. :-) I have not actually read them so I cannot comment on their usefulness.

Randall Flagg
11-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I often use Stephen King: The Art of Darkness as a reference to King's early works. Douglas Winter conducted numerous extensive interviews with King.

biomieg
11-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks Tim. And I am going to check that one out, Jerome.

Randall Flagg
11-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Ant updates, info for the thread?

Brice
11-25-2011, 10:55 PM
I think I have some that aren't listed. I'll take a look on my next day off work.

skyofcrack
12-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Here's a few I don't see on your excellent list:

Starmont Readers Guide #16 Douglas Winter 10/82
The Films of Stephen King Michael R. Collings Starmont 7/86
Stephen King at the Movies Jessie Horsting Starlog Signet Special 9/86
The Compleat Stephen King Vol. 1 James Van Hise 1/87
Stephen King - A Reader's Checklist and Reference Guide CheckerBee Checklist 10/99

biomieg
12-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Thank you! I assume your first entry is the one I already had in my list so I edited it a little bit. The rest are indeed new entries.

I know I'm missing some of Kevin Quigley's latest chapbooks. Does anyone have any info on them?

herbertwest
12-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Thank you! I assume your first entry is the one I already had in my list so I edited it a little bit. The rest are indeed new entries.

I know I'm missing some of Kevin Quigley's latest chapbooks. Does anyone have any info on them?

They are available as ebook from CD, and for almost nothing i believe.

herbertwest
12-30-2011, 05:11 AM
@Biomeg : i didnt check with your list, but on my website i have this (old) list. It's in french, but shouldnt be difficult to understand as i "cleaned" it

STEPHEN KING AS RICHARD BACHMAN de Michael R. Collings. Publié en Juin 1985.

THE SHORTER WORKS OF STEPHEN KING de Michael R. Collings and David Engebretson. Publié en Juillet 1985.

THE MANY FACETS OF STEPHEN KING par Micheal R. Collings. Publié en Août 1985.

THE FILMS OF STEPHEN KING de Michael R. Collings. Publié en Septembre 1986.

THE ANNOTED GUIDE TO STEPHEN KING de Michael R. Collings. Publié en Octobre 1986.

THE ART OF DARKNESS de Douglas E. Winter

THE STEPHEN KING PHENOMENON de Michael R. Collings. Publié en Avril 1987.

KINGDOM OF FEAR : une autre compilation d'études réalisées par Andrew M. Greeley, Robert Bloch, Bill Thompson, Ramsey Campbell, Whitley Strieber, Leslie Fiedler, Clive Barker, Harlan Ellison, Michael McDowell, William F. Nolan, Stephen P. Brown, Don Herron, Chuck Miller, Ben P. Indick, Bernadette Lynn Bosky, Thomas F. Monteleone, Tim Underwood et Stephen King lui-même)... Publié en 1987. Environ 40FF

THE GOTHIC WORLD OF STEPHEN KING de Gary Hoppenstand. Publié en Décembre 1987.

STEPHEN KING : THE FIRST DECADE de Joseph Reino. Publié en Février 1988.

LANDSCAPE OF FEAR : STEPHEN KING'S AMERICAN GOTHIC de Tony Magistrale. Publié en Mars 1988.

REIGN OF FEAR

THE UNSEEN KING de Tyson Blue. Publié en Avril 1989. Un ouvrage à posséder sans attendre une minute.

BARE BONES : CONVERSATIONS ON THE TERROR WITH STEPHEN KING. Cet ouvrage est en fait une compilation d'interviews avec Stephen King, réunies par Tim Underwood et Chuck Miller. Publié en 1989. Environ 65 FF.

THE STEPHEN KING COMPANION de George Beahm

DARK DESCENT : ESSAYS DEFINING STEPHEN KING'S HORRORSCAPE de Tim Underwood et Chuck Miller. Publié en 1990.

THE COMPLETE STEPHEN KING ENCYCLOPEDIA.

STEPHEN KING : MAN AND ARTIST. Cet ouvrage, réalisé par Carroll F. Terrell

THE STEPHEN KING STORY Beahm. Publié en 1992.

STEPHEN KING : THE SECOND DECADE de Joseph Reino. Publié en Mars 1992.

THE SECOND STEPHEN KING QUIZ BOOK (publié en 1992).

STEPHEN KING : MASTER OF HORROR. Ce petit livre de 56 pages réalisé par Anne Saidman

FEAST OF FEAR : CONVERSATIONS WITH STEPHEN KING. Tim Underwood et Chuck Miller. Publié en 1993.

MORE THINGS THAN ARE DREAMT OF : MASTERPIECES OF SUPERNATURAL HORROR de James Ursini. Publié en Avril 1994.

STEPHEN KING'S AMERICA de Jonathan P. Davis. Publié en Mars 1994.

THE FILMS OF STEPHEN KING de Ann Lloyd Décembre 1994.

STEPHEN KING GOES TO HOLLYWOOD de Jeff Conner and Tim Underwood.

POP CULTURE LEGENDS : STEPHEN KING. Réalisé par Amy Keyishian et Marjorie Keyishian, Publié en Août 1995.

THE STEPHEN KING COMPANION a ensuite été complètement revu et corrigé pour une nouvelle publication, encore plus complète, en Décembre 1995.

WRITING HORROR AND THE BODY de Linda Badley. Publié en Mai 1996.

STEPHEN KING : A CRITICAL COMPANION par Sharon A. Russell. Publié en Juin 1996.

FANGORIA : MASTERS OF THE HORROR d' Anthony Timpone (Editeur). Publié en Mai 1997.

SCARING US TO DEATH : THE IMPACT OF STEPHEN KING ON POPULAR CULTURE de Micheal R. Collings. Publié en Juillet 1997.

READING STEPHEN KING : ISSUES OF CENSORSHIP, STUDENT CHOICE, AND POPULAR LITERATURE de Brenda Miller Power. Publié en Octobre 1997.

DISCOVERING STEPHEN KING de Darrell Schweitzer publié en Décembre 1997. Il s'agit en fait d'une réédition (améliorée). L'ancienne édition datait du début des années 80.

STEPHEN KING (MODERN CRITICAL VIEWS SERIES) de Harold Bloom (Editeur). Publié en Mars 1998.

STEPHEN KING : AMERICA'S BEST-LOVED BOOGEYMAN de George Beahm. Publié en Juin 1998.

TREKS NOT TAKEN : WHAT IF STEPHEN KING, ANNE RICE, KURT VONNEGUT AND OTHER LITERARY GREATS HAD WRITTEN EPISODES OF STAR TREK : THE NEXT GENERATION. Publié en Septembre 1998.

STEPHEN KING A TO Z : AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HIS LIFE AND WORK de George Beahm. Publié en Octobre 1998.

THE LOST WORK OF STEPHEN KING : A GUIDE TO UNPUBLISHED MANUSCRIPTS, STORY FRAGMENTS, ALTERNATIVE VERSIONS AND ODDITIES par Stephen J. Spignesi. Publié en Octobre 1998.

STEPHEN KING COUNTRY : THE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO THE SITES AND SIGHTS THAT INSPIRED THEMODERN MASTER OF HORROR par George W. Beahm. Publié en Avril 1999. Disponible en import pour environ 145 FF.

STEPHEN KING COLLECTIBLES : AN ILLUSTRATED PRICE GUIDE, par George W. Beahm.
Est paru fin avril 2000 aux USA.

SECRET WINDOWS : ESSAYS AND FICTION ON THE CRAFT OF WRITING.
Publié en 2000, chez Book Of The Month Club.

STEPHEN KING UNIVERSE.
Cet ouvrage, écrit par Stanley Wiater, Christopher Golden et Hank Wagner, est un gros recueil (130000 mots et 50 chapitres) et couvre toute l'œuvre de King jusqu'à Blood & Smoke).
Resortit en 2006!

THE ESSENTIAL STEPHEN KING : A Ranking of the Greatest Novels, Short Stories, Movies, and Other Creations of the World's Most Popular Writer.
Publié en août 2001, ce live par Stephen Spignesi fait 359 pages.

REVISITING STEPHEN KING, par Sharon Russel. Paru en 2002

CREEPSHOWS, THE ILLUSTRATED STEPHEN KING MOVIE GUIDE, par Stephen Jones Publié en 2002.

HOLLYWOOD'S STEPHEN KING, de Tony Magistrale, publié en 2003.

HORROR PLUM'D : AN INTERNATIONAL STEPHEN KING BIBLIOGRAPHY & GUIDE 1960-2000, par Michael Collings, publié en 2004.

THE ROAD TO THE DARK TOWER : EXPLORING STEPHENKING'S MAGNUM OPUS, de Bev Vincent, publié en 2004.

POCKET ESSENTIALS - STEPHEN KING, de Peter Mann publié en 2006.

STEPHEN KING : UNCOLLECTED, UNPUBLISHED, par Rocky Wood, David Rawsthorne & Norma Blackburn.
Publié par Cemetery Dance & un éditeur australien, en 2006.

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE WORKS OF STEPHEN KING, Rocky Wood, David Rawsthorne et Norma Blackburn.

STEPHEN KING IS RICHARD BACHMAN, par Michael Collings, publié en mai 2007.

THE STEPHEN KING COLLECTOR'S GUIDE, de Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks, publié fin 2007.
Proposé par Cemetery Dance.

THE SCIENCE OF STEPHEN KING : FROM CARRIE TO CELL, THE TERRIFYING TRUTH BEHIND THE HORROR MASTER'S FICTION,
par Lois H. Gresh, Robert Weinberg. Paru en septembre 2007.

STEPHEN KING SPILLS THE BEANS, par Tim Underwood
Paru en 2008 (tirage très mince). 240 pages.

STEPHEN KING : A PRIMARY BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE WORLD MOST POPULAR AUTHOR, par Justin Brooks.
Parution: 2008, chez Cemetery Dance

HAUNTED HEART : THE LIFE AND TIMES OF STEPHEN KING par Lisa Rogak
Parution: Fin janvier 2009 pour cette biographie non autorisée de Stephen King, utilisant de nombreuses ressources secondaires (pas de contact directs avec King, hormis des extraits d'interviews et de proches).

STEPHEN KING : THE NON-FICTION, par Rocky Wood & Justin Brooks. CD.

INSIDE THE DARK TOWER SERIES : ART, EVIL & INTERTEXTUALITY IN THE STEPHEN KING NOVELS
De Patrick McAleer, le 16 février 2009

STEPHEN KING (collection : WHO WROTE THAT?)
De Michael Gray Baughan, le 30 mars 2009

STEPHEN KING ON THE BIG SCREEN
De Mark Browning, le 15 mai 2009

STEPHEN KING'S THE DARK TOWER : THE COMPLETE CONCORDANCE, par Robin Furth
Cemetery Dance. (annoncé depuis très longtemps!!!)

herbertwest
12-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Also, i believe that FANZINES should be included.

One listing is on my website :
http://club-stephenking.fr/170-les-newsletters-et-autres-magazines-sur-stephen-king

CRinVA
12-30-2011, 05:13 AM
I have all of Kevin Quigley's chapbooks - I first met Kevin at the First Annual SKEMERCon (Bangor) in 1997 and then again at the Bag of Bones booksigning at the original Betts (downtown) location and then again at the 5th Skemercon. We have become good friends. His web site Charnellhouse is one of hte long standing and respected King fan sites focusing on reviews of everything King written.

His other chapbooks (all with limited printings but available as ebooks on 10/18/2011) are:

Chart of Darkness
Drawn Into Darkness (for Bob Ireland, Mr. Mojo Risin' on page 5)
Blood In Your Ears
Ink In The Veins

herbertwest
12-30-2011, 08:52 AM
By the way, there is also this one : THE FILMS OF STEPHEN KING - From Carrie to The Mist
Edited by Tony Magistrale
A new edition comes out on the 3rd of january, "With updated material on 1408, The Mist, and more!"

Br!an
04-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Ink In the Veins, by Kevin Quigley

Toward Other Worlds, by Michael Collings
Perspectives: Views, Reviews, Interviews, by Michael Collings
The Stephen King Movie Quiz Book, by Andrew J. Rausch and Ronald Riley
The Wit and Wisdom of Stephen King, byAndrew J. Rausch
Stephen King: A Literary Companion, by Rocky Wood
Stephen King on the Big Screen/Stephen King on the Small Screen, by Mark Browning
Drawn Into Darkness, by Kevin Quigley
Blood In Your Ears, by Kevin Quigley

The Illustrated Stephen King Movie Trivia Book, by Brian Freeman, Hans-Åke Lilja, and Kevin Quigley
A Good Story and Good Words, by Kevin Quigley

Randall Flagg
11-25-2015, 01:08 PM
We now have an entire wiki section devoted to this subject:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?202-Books-about-Stephen-King-and-his-Work

jreitan47
11-25-2015, 01:14 PM
We now have an entire wiki section devoted to this subject:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?202-Books-about-Stephen-King-and-his-Work

Thanks to all who put this list together! I just printed it off to do my online searches of titles/editions I need! I used to have so many s/l and lettered books about King...starting from scratch once again!

Randall Flagg
11-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Ideas for a header image are welcome.