PDA

View Full Version : Misfits

DoctorDodge
11-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok, I know this series is, at 3 eps in, halfway through already, but my gosh, tonight's was brilliant!

I've also gotta say the series is moving in really unexpected turns. And I need some discussion on tonight's ep. Fantastic to know us Brits can still make great tv! I'll admit, the last couple of eps do seem to have, ahem, "borrowed" some twists from a lot of US shows like FlashForward and Heroes, but the fact that it's so much more hysterical than those two combined more than makes up for it.

Oh, one last thing: if you came on here thinking this was a thread for the band and wondering what the hell i'm referring to, look up series one of this show online somewhere and laugh your arse off to one of the best teen shows* out there.

*NOTE: be aware that the term "teen show", like "football", has different meanings in the US and UK ie this one's definitely not for kids!

OchrisO
11-25-2010, 03:31 PM
I love that show.
I really like how they seem to be moving things toward them being something more than delinquents who happen to have powers this season(or at least it seems so based on what Curtis saw when his power reversed).

I haven't seen the newest episode, but I am eagerly anticipating it.

DoctorDodge
11-25-2010, 03:38 PM
You'll love it, Chris. And I agree with you that it is pushing things forward this series. With series one, I think every episode mainly dealt with the consequences of the first in some way. Which, being only 6 eps long, wasn't actually too bad: it gave it a reasonable enough pace to include character development and big laughs, and I loved every ep, but it's good that the second series has changed things slightly and is now having the bunch of asbos having to deal with more epic problems, when clearly they're still not interested in that stuff and would prefer to have a fucking good time instead! :lol:

OchrisO
11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I really loved how, when they thought the probation worker was the shapeshifter girl, of all of them, it was Kelly that punched him in the face. She's such a hardass. I think she is probably my favorite character.

I know Lisa is way into this show. She'll probably have a lot to say when she finds this thread. :)

Darkthoughts
11-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Maaaaaan!!

First, DD I LOVE you for starting this thread :huglove: I blab on about Misfits to anyone who will listen, I think I've converted a fair few so far :D

Tonight's ep: WTF! Future Simon, that was so crazy!! But! He's come back, he's telling Alisha stuff and she's basically got with him because of the stuff he told her and the fact he can touch her, so isn't that interferring heavily with time? Plus all the stuff he does to save them...I'm so interested to see where this goes!

Gay Nathan :lol: That was awesome in so many ways :D Gutted him and Kelly didn't get it on, but that was pretty funny.

But, in Curtis's flashforward last week it looked like he was wearing the superhero outfit, what's up with that?

Darkthoughts
11-25-2010, 03:44 PM
^ Haha, too right!! :D

Kelly is my favourite too, she is class!

DoctorDodge
11-25-2010, 04:06 PM
I knew both you and Chris were big fans already, Lisa, and I think I've converted alkanto into becoming a fan too, so when it came to setting up a thread I thought, "why not?" :D

Btw, on the points you mentioned: agree with them all, tonight's ep has put my head in a right spin, and when I saw Superhoodie revealed to be Simon, I was like, "WTF?!? No way!" I had guessed that it must've been one of them from the future to know so much about them, but I thought it would've been Curtis, considering he's athletic and can time travel anyway! For Simon to be revealed as someone who's going to be a badarse...that was bold, I've gotta say!

Speaking of time travel, I've got no idea how Curtis will also become a superhero, or at least get a costume, but I did love that they were clever enough to show the rewind in his eye, only this time, instead of things we've seen already, they showed us glimpses of what's going to happen. That was awesome, and makes it perfect for rewatching to speculate on over and over again! :lol:

Who's my favourite character? That would be Nathan. At first, sure, he was an annoying twat, but as time went on...he was still a twat, but he was just so good at it, that he stopped being annoying, even with his put-downs of Simon! I think my favourite is, "You'd screw your own sister for a slice of cheese!" "I don't even like cheese." "That makes it even worse, you sick bastard!"

No, scratch that, his best line was tonight's episode: "I just realised I haven't died this week." :rofl: If that's not a dig at a certain character on Heroes and how much she conveniently happens to use her power every single ep, I don't know what is!

Darkthoughts
11-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I love Nathan, but mostly because he's lush :D

He by far and away gets the best lines! I was going to use Nathan for my combo, but I had to go for Kelly - her facial expressions crack me up!

Damn, I was going to say something else and I've totally forgotten it...which is weird because, today and yesterday I rewatched all of Series 1 and the two eps from series 2 aswell :lol:

OchrisO
11-26-2010, 12:34 AM
I just finished watching episode three of this season. It was great. They just keep getting better and better. The scenes from next week look pretty good as well.
Also,

I think that Simon is trying to prevent something that happens where at least Alisha, but possibly everyone except him dies, so he has to meddle heavily with the time stream.
It seems like perhaps they get other abilities or something as well. The kind of leaping around and from buildings that Simon has been doing seems more than what an average person who can turn invisible could do.

So, perhaps Curtis gets some other ability.

It is also possible that they all dress that way to live up to an image created by the media or something, since they are clearly being interviewed and such in the future.

Also, also, Antonia Thomas who plays Alisha is sooo hot.

DoctorDodge
11-26-2010, 02:11 AM

QFT

Darkthoughts
11-26-2010, 03:12 AM
It is also possible that they all dress that way to live up to an image created by the media or something, since they are clearly ebing interviews and such in the future.
Ha! That is genius, good spot Chris!!

I'm wondering if like, when they get found out for their powers, if they then become forced by government or secret services to actively use their powers for them and that could be how they all get killed?

Doubly QFT. She is unnaturally beautiful!

Darkthoughts
12-01-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm wondering if the storm was engineered by someone or something, I was rewatching ep 3 yesterday and something F.Simon said to Alisha made me think of it. She was bemoaning her power and he said something along the lines of "It's not your fault, it was beyond our control."

DoctorDodge
12-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I've been wondering about the storm myself, Lisa. I'm glad that they haven't rushed to explain it yet, since there's been so much character development and great episodic storylines to get through first, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did save something like that for this series finale, or even for series three. This is the show that took an entire first series to reveal what power Nathan had, after all!

alkanto
12-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm kinda late to the conversation, but this show is amazing! I just now finished the episode from last week, so I will hopefully be caught up for the new one tonight.

The only problem is, the youtube account I watch the episodes on was only able to post most of the episode, but not all of it. I was able to watch up until Kelley gets the name of the tattoo artist on her back, and she, Nathan, and Simon find out what he is doing. I missed the entire confrontation with him. Anyone feel kind enough to fill me in?

Darkthoughts
12-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I can fill you in, but go back and try the youtube link again, some of them have timeouts on them, so you can only watch so many episodes a day :thumbsup:

Last night's ep: I'm so glad the Future Simon storyline ended there, I was actually thinking it might go some Heroes route where it all got too convoluted and ridiculous, but that was perfect and such an awesome scene from Alisha :cry:
The GTA guy was inspired, I really feared for Nathan's limbs when he confessed to being the undercover cop...and the whole heart transplant...genius!
I just can't believe how every week the show gets better. And once everyone's watched the ep I soooo have a new sig worthy Kelly quote :lol:

OchrisO
12-03-2010, 03:49 AM
That teleporter guy had a sweet ass rat tail. haha.

DoctorDodge
12-03-2010, 04:18 PM
One thing I really liked about last night's episode was its misdirection: you thought the gang would spend an entire episode at least having to deal with problems caused by the new guy, and he got shot within five minutes. One moment, my reaction was "Holy shit, dude!" out of pure shock, the next I was laughing my arse off at the 15 POINTS shown right afterwards.

Favourite Nathan line of the week btw is, "That's him. He's a right Conti!" :lol:

alkanto
12-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I can fill you in, but go back and try the youtube link again, some of them have timeouts on them, so you can only watch so many episodes a day :thumbsup:

Last night's ep: I'm so glad the Future Simon storyline ended there, I was actually thinking it might go some Heroes route where it all got too convoluted and ridiculous, but that was perfect and such an awesome scene from Alisha :cry:
The GTA guy was inspired, I really feared for Nathan's limbs when he confessed to being the undercover cop...and the whole heart transplant...genius!
I just can't believe how every week the show gets better. And once everyone's watched the ep I soooo have a new sig worthy Kelly quote :lol:

Nevermind! They posted the third part of the episode this morning - all caught up now :D

DoctorDodge
12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
And another awesome ep, though not quite as awesome as recent eps, i think. I had pretty much guessed that it was the dad from the first second he showed up, one of the few twists in Misfits i haven't been suprised/shocked by, but there was still a good number of decent twists that were. Such as finding out that the costume we saw Curtis in in ep 2 was exactly that: a fancy dress costume, that was a nice little surprise there. Also, the gorilla in the gorilla costume, that was inspired! Especially since it reveals that animals were affected by the storm too and not just humans, unless they did have an animal with a power in an earlier episode and i've completely forgotten about it.

Another thing this episode made me realise was what Nathan and Simon's relationship had become. I can't believe I haven't realised this before, but despite Nathan being a constant prick to Simon and calling him names all the time, somewhere along the line they haven't just become mates, but best friends. (Or at least, Nathan is probably the closest Simon's ever had for a best friend.) I only realised this when Nathan found out Simon had lost his virginity and Nathan said, "I'm proud of ya, man!" Overall, Nathan has been less of a dick to Simon in recent eps, especially since Simon actually stood up for himself in ep 1 of this series. Nice character progression that, and so subtle I hadn't even noticed it until now.

OchrisO
12-10-2010, 04:23 AM
The part in this week's episode where Nathan was demonstrating how he used to try to suck himself off by tying a rope to his feet and yanking his legs over his head had me rolling.

Also, Nathan's math is impeccable.

I really like how it made us over think the costume thing.

Darkthoughts
12-10-2010, 08:02 AM
The part in this week's episode where Nathan was demonstrating how he used to try to suck himself off by tying a rope to his feet and yanking his legs over his head had me rolling.

Same as :lol:

Yes, this was sort of the first ep there's been that I felt was filler in terms of plot, even though I enjoyed it as much as I always do. I loved that Kelly and Simon finally got their sex scenes - Kelly was brilliant! :D And, there is something really oddly attractive about her, in quite a few shots she looked lush this week :thumbsup:

OchrisO
12-11-2010, 11:55 PM
And, there is something really oddly attractive about her, in quite a few shots she looked lush this week :thumbsup:

Agreed. I'd totally have crazy gorilla sex with her. haha.

Darkthoughts
12-12-2010, 05:02 AM
:lol:

I'm sort of dreading everyone finding out about their powers next week...not that I'm getting overly invested in the show or anything...:ninja:

Darkthoughts
12-17-2010, 12:02 AM
That was cool as fuck!! Aaaaand! Even cooler, there's a Christmas special on at 10pm on Sunday night :excited:

OchrisO
12-18-2010, 01:14 AM
That episode was so good that I tripled myself.

C'mon! You're telling me that that has never happened to any of you?

Darkthoughts
12-18-2010, 06:39 AM
:rofl:

OchrisO
12-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Best Christmas episode of a show ever.

alkanto
12-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Best Christmas episode of a show ever.

Agreed! :lol:

My favorite line? "What are you doing?" "I'm gonna go kill Jesus!"

OchrisO
12-21-2010, 05:43 PM
He looked evil as shit when he said it, too. I loved it.

The alien part at the very end was hilarious.

DoctorDodge
12-22-2010, 12:53 AM
"It's afterbirth, you dickhead!" So wrong! :lol:

I loved it, but there was one tiny problem I had with it: namely, how could present Simon know about future Simon and Alisha if most of the events of last episode, including Simon finding out all that stuff, never really happened?

alkanto
12-22-2010, 07:25 AM
In regards to your concern, DD, I just assumed that
during the 3 months we didn't see, Alisha thought it was better in the long run, and told him anyways. Or else, after they went to the bar, Curtis told them what they all avoided....and it went from there?

Darkthoughts
12-22-2010, 10:17 AM
I thought that it was because Curtis only rewound to a certain point that was after Alisha showing Simon the batcave.

The afterbirth moment was absolutely brilliant! And basically every scene with Nathan and his girlfriend had me cracking up :D

DoctorDodge
12-23-2010, 05:20 AM
I thought that it was because Curtis only rewound to a certain point that was after Alisha showing Simon the batcave.

The problem with that is that Alisha didn't show Simon the batcave (that one's going to stick now, thanks) until after they became famous. Curtis rewound things to right before all of that.

I guess Pond's explanation works, though. The former one, anyway: 3 months is a long time for Alisha to think about her and Simon.

OchrisO
06-26-2011, 01:21 PM
So, this is a bit behind the times, but I was telling a friend about Misfits a few days ago and it made me decide to look for info on when it starts back. In the process, I saw that on April 10th, Robert Sheehan said he won't be returning to the series. That sucks soooo much.

alkanto
06-26-2011, 01:25 PM
I know! I read that a while back as well, but honestly forgot about this thread....otherwise I would have for sure updated you guys! Actually, Dodge and I were just talking about this the other day. My only thought is that the show might have enough to get by on the new popularity of Simon?I really don't know....I will watch it, but there's no way that it will be half as funny. No other character can get away with a fraction of what Nathan could pull off. Time will tell....

Darkthoughts
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Maaaaan, that sucks big time! I knew Robert Sheehan would get totally up his own arse if he got too famous :lol:

DoctorDodge
09-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Yes, it does suck...but, to cheer you all up: here's a link to an online short ep showing what happens to Nathan in Vegas, as well as a long trailer for series 3: http://www.channel4.com/microsites/M/misfits/main.html

"7 and 4! Even I know that adds up to 11!"
"You don't get a number 7 on a dice!" :rofl:

I can hardly wait! :D

DoctorDodge
10-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Argh, the trailers for series 3 have been showing a lot on e4 lately, but still no start date! Hopefully, it's no more than a couple of weeks away at most. Was a bit skeptical at Nathan leaving, and I don't think the "new guy" is gonna be able to replace him, but all the "wtf?!" plotlines teased in the trailer look awesome, especially Simon's!

Time for me to get a cheap copy of series 2 on dvd so i can watch it again, only adverts free this time!

alkanto
10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
They've announced a return date: 30th October! That's rather quick...much sooner than I was expecting. Not that I'm complaining, though...it looks great! :excited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7i-QPlQRfI&feature=relmfu

DoctorDodge
10-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Yes!!! Can't fucking wait! Knew it had to be soon, considering how much they've been showing this advert, but...my god, I can't fucking wait!

And is it just me, or is Simon looking more and more fucking badarse with every series? :lol:

alkanto
10-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Of course he does, Zagreus! He is incredibly BAMF...I knew from the first moment I saw that he had a toy Dalek on his bedside table :lol:

DoctorDodge
10-20-2011, 09:47 AM
We seem to be getting a lot of shy, awkward side characters that are in fact secret BAMFs in the past couple of years: Neville in the last HP movie, Rory from Who, and now Simon.

Actually, fuck the Avengers movie: what would be the most awesome film ever made would be one with all 3 of those characters in!

THE ALLIANCE
of extremely Bad Arse MotherFuckers

alkanto
10-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, you know I'd watch it!

DoctorDodge
10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
So what did everyone think? I thought tonight's ep was ok, but I do hope it gets better. I must admit, I am missing Nathan a lot. Rudy's ok, but I don't think he's good enough to replace him just yet. I am liking Simon's development as a character more and more, and the new angle with the new powers. Fingers crossed that it'll improve, really.

OchrisO
10-30-2011, 11:43 PM
It seems like a mistake to make the new guy the same sort of character as Nathan, because no one is going to do "nathan" as well as Robert Sheehan. I mean, the comic relief character was about the best part of the show with Nathan, but it seems like they shouldn't have tried to approach that with the same sort of personality/mentality in the new character, even if it is just half of him or whatever.

alkanto
10-31-2011, 05:01 AM
I watched it last night, and I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as it has been, mind, but I think I set my expectations appropriately. I actually think I will enjoy Rudy, if only because he is similar to Nathan but just different enough. His power was certainly interesting, and the fact that the actor plays two parts has me impressed. I can't imagine how difficult some of his scenes were...he was fighting with himself! That takes a bit of work, even with doubles and special effects. I'm also surprised, a bit, by the other powers of the rest of the crew. Curtis' in particular. It will be an interesting year.

What I was very happy to see was Simon getting even more bad-arse from past eps. I'm liking him more and more...he's easily my favorite, I think, now that Nathan is gone.

DoctorDodge
10-31-2011, 05:10 AM
What I was very happy to see was Simon getting even more bad-arse from past eps. I'm liking him more and more...he's easily my favorite, I think, now that Nathan is gone.

Definitely. I think the genius of the show is that all the characters start out as almost completely unlikeable, but it's through their development that we grow to like them more and more. Simon is the best example of this, I think. He's still a little bit dorky, but he's also becoming a lot more confident and awesome the more we see him.

Also, regarding the actor who played Rudy: I thought it would be difficult for me to not see him as Woody from This Is England all the time, but I will say he does perform in this role really well. The character just needs to be slightly better written, I think, but it is only the first ep.

DoctorDodge
11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I want to piss on your tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSLMZEkF5W8&list=LLDFRTziGmfISL29PEgiiPAQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

DoctorDodge
11-13-2011, 03:31 PM
I really liked tonight's ep. One thing that I've always been fascinated by in fiction (and non-fiction, even) is people facing the difference between what they believe heroes to be and what the reality actually is. This can range from soldiers in WW1 finding out that war is not as glorious as they were lead to believe, or to geeks with superpowers finding out that life's fuck all like the comic books. This is something that Misfits kinda set up from the start, especially with Simon, and it's nice to introduce another character as geeky as Simon was, to see just how far Simon has come over the past 2 years. Really, Simon wasn't that different to tonight's freak-of-the-week when he started: geeky, extremely socially inept and wanting to be a superhero but actually doing nothing about it. I'm also liking how Simon's and Aleisha's relationship is developing, and honestly I'm thinking I'm beginning to like Rudy more and more each week, just like Nathan took a few weeks for me to like, really.

DoctorDodge
12-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Ok, so after a series that's been a bit hit-and-miss in some aspects (well, compared to the first two series, at least), I've gotta say that the finale last night was absolutely brilliant! Nice to see returning characters again, and in a clever way, too. I also like how a few arcs were neatly tied up.

Superhoodie of course was particularly well done. Sometimes, the show makes a few logic leaps and screws up stuff continuity wise, but last night's ep got everything just right, right down to Simon wearing the orange hoodie the first time we actually saw Superhoodie in the series 1 finale. It's also fitting that the reason he went back in time of course was because of Alisha's death, so as a result, both Simon and Aleisha die in each other's arms. Pretty fucked up, but in a good and tragic way.

So after a season that had more filler than the first two series (which really gives it a few marks down - one thing I loved about the first two series was their rather tight focus), it was nice to have a finale that was incredibly satisfying in both tying up loose ends and one that left an emotional impact. I'm not hugely anticipating the next series like I was at the end of series 1 and less so at the end of series 2, as I'm really wondering how much more they can do without it going stale, but fingers crossed it'll more closely match up to the standard set by the first two series, anyway.

Darkthoughts
12-19-2011, 07:01 AM
I watched the first two eps and then lost track of it. I'm going to have to go back and catch up...

DoctorDodge
12-19-2011, 07:35 AM
I watched the first two eps and then lost track of it.

:o Really, Lisa? I'm rather shocked at that! I thought you were one of the biggest fans of Misfits on here!

alkanto
12-19-2011, 11:39 AM
I just watched the finale for series 3....let's just say my soul has been sufficiently crushed in time for the holiday season. Brilliant.

MAJOR Spoilers for Series 2/3:
I mean, what the actual fuck? Killing off two of the remaining 4 cast members? And to have it be Alisha and Simon! Simon was my absolute favorite...I'm heartbroken. Screw the romanticism of Simon going back as SuperHoodie to save her in a way of avenging her death (thats a bit timey-wimey...). It doesn't serve any purpose, really. And who likes time loops, anyways?
I have already read that the actress who plays Alisha - Antonia Thompson, or something - is not returning for series 4, but any news about Iwan Rheon/Simon? If he is gone....that would be worse than Nathan leaving. I'm already over Nathan leaving...I like Rudy. Lots.
And a theory I had...why couldn't Simon take Rudy's power, of the literal split personality, and have one of the halves go back? What kind of repercussions would that create? I wonder if that's ever been considered...there certainly would be, I would imagine, if your 'other half' would die, but still.

DoctorDodge
12-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I still liked how it was handled. It could've taken the easy way out (which I admit I was kinda hoping for), but instead, the guys not only learned how vulnerable they were, there was kind of a natural end brought to a pretty long-running arc. I must admit I'm gonna miss Simon, but his character was given one hell of a great sendoff in the finale. But in some way you're right Pond, it's going to be very difficult to continue the series without Simon, which is why I'm pretty skeptical about how good series 4 could be.

alkanto
12-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Now, I'm just wishing Rudy might get a decent storyline...assuming Joe Gilgun stays on, at least. We still don't know much about his power, or much about him in general. Also, Curtis needs something too, beyond the short-lived I'm pregnant with my own baby plot. That was just awkward...and they took the easy way out with that! Pregnancies don't show up until at least a few weeks after fertilization, usually (hence the need for pregnancy tests...some women can't even tell until they've missed their next cycle) so it's not it was this little tiny ball of cells just floating around in Girl-Curtis' uterus. It had to somewhere....

You know...sometimes I hate being of a scientific mind when watching shows like this...

DoctorDodge
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Nono, I also thought that was a cop-out to Curtis's storyline. Like I said, the show regularly takes leaps in logic, especially this series. (Unless it's something they're planning to resolve next series. Who knows.) And agreed about Rudy. Too much filler this series. First two series were so character based. They really worked because practically every episode not only explored a character's power but primarily the characters themselves. This series, the episodes were mainly focused on nazis, cheerleader zombies and super-powered STDs. Why I loved last night's finale so much was that it really went back to its roots. This series hasn't been terrible, as such, but I really hope they bring back that focus on character exploration next series.

alkanto
12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Exactly. One of my favorite episodes of the past few years was the one in series 1 where they had flashbacks to how everyone ended up on their ASBO, and you got so much background. That's what makes them all likable. Obviously, I loved this series (and am totally on Team Rudy - I don't miss Nathan at all...most of the time) but they definitely needed better story lines. They relied to much on the supernatural aspect of the show

Darkthoughts
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
:o Really, Lisa? I'm rather shocked at that! I thought you were one of the biggest fans of Misfits on here!

I know, I'm shocked at myself! :lol: I missed the third ep as I was ill and in bed early and then didn't feel motivated enough to catch up. I will though!! I'll do a 4OD blitz over the weekend.

Bethany
12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Look, my very own thread :P

(This post will be meaningless after Christmas and people will be all "huh?")

DoctorDodge
12-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Don't worry. We're all going "huh?" already. (Well, us Brits are, anyway.)

alkanto
12-20-2011, 01:25 PM
No, I get it! James, have you ever seen the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas Special?

DoctorDodge
12-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Seen the cartoon. But not the version that's in Bethany's sig.

alkanto
12-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Oh, okay. Well, she's referencing that version. Her version of the misfit is a bit more family friendly than ours :lol:

DoctorDodge
12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Oh, so there's nothing along the lines of, "Dasher! Dancer! Prancer! The red nosed c**t!"
"Why do I have to be the red nosed c**t?"
"Because you just are, man, get over it."

alkanto
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
:rofl: Oh god...now that would have warped my childhood in way previously unthought of! Would be funnier than hell, though...

Bethany
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
That, and my member title *is* Misfit :P

DoctorDodge
12-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I noticed. Just didn't know the context of it.

DoctorDodge
10-28-2012, 03:37 PM
So, what does everyone think of tonight's opening ep?

So far, it doesn't look like it'll be much better overall than series 3, but I could be wrong. Not that series 3 was bad...it just didn't match up to the level of brilliance and genius the first two series were about overall, imo, although it did have one awesome finale. It's unbelievable how Curtis is the only one left of the original gang now. I quite liked the new girl Jess. Love a smart-mouthed girl, myself. Finn's story could prove to be interesting, only with him being the "weird guy", he seems a little too similar to Simon pre-series 2 atm, only not quite so awkward. It wasn't a bad opening, it's just that, once again, it seemed more focused on "power of the week" than on character development, as last year seemed to be over half the time, with body swaps, alternate histories and zombie invasions. Still, like I said, hopefully this series will grow to be better.

DoctorDodge
11-05-2012, 02:56 AM
Ok, now that's more like it! A heavier focus on characters than on "power of the week". One thing that may have helped is that we have two new characters to learn all about, although that may not provide much development by itself. However, with storylines like the new trainee probation worker, and next week's interesting little revelation about Rudy, gotta say this series has the potential to hopefully be much better than series 3 was.

OchrisO
11-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I miss the original cast of this show so much.

alkanto
11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
See, I still haven't really made it through ep 1. I just find the new characters more than a bit annoying. And I really did like season 3. So it's a bit annoying now, to not like it as much.

OchrisO
11-05-2012, 05:40 PM
See, I still haven't really made it through ep 1. I just find the new characters more than a bit annoying. And I really did like season 3. So it's a bit annoying now, to not like it as much.

I didn't like them at all at first. The new girl is growing on me, though. I am still not sure about the new guy, but I am at least interested in seeing where his story goes.

It really isn't the quality of show that it used to be, though.

DoctorDodge
11-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I miss the original cast of this show so much.

While I do miss the original gang to an extent, series 3, while it had some decent eps, was just so full of filler while we essentially waited for Simon to become "Super Hoodie" that at times just didn't make sense, the Nazi, zombie and pregnancy storylines in particular. I liked series 3, but it had already dipped in quality considerably for me.

As for the new characters, well, I'm keeping an open mind about them, since all the original characters started out as completely annoying stereotypes at first. I'm just really hopeful that this series has less of the filler bullshit that series 3 was full of and more the character driven stories that made series 1 and 2 so damn awesome, and I'm hoping the introduction of new characters may provide us that. I certainly enjoyed Finn's ep, at least.

alkanto
11-06-2012, 06:29 AM
I think we are yet again mistaking the use of the word "filler" for "useless". Just because they are filler doesn't mean they are bad. As long as they are entertaining, I don't give a shit if they progress the plot or not, especially when we kinda already know what is going to happen. But if I have to sit there for 40 min bored out of my mind because of exposition and "plot" I am not going to like it. I mean...I have to care about the characters to care about what happens to them and I had that last season. This year, not so much.

DoctorDodge
11-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Yes, sometimes filler is good, but some of the filler plot really was stupid. For example, the whole Nazi plot completely ignored how Curtis's old time travel power could work. Seriously, it made the old man and Kelley just magically appear in Hitler's room like that? More to the point, shouldn't the person who controls the power only be able to go back in time by essentially "rewinding" it? And again, the whole "magically dissapearing baby" with Curtis...no. Just no. I only really love the character development eps because that's when Misfits is at its best.

I still think you're forgetting how long it took for the original gang to become truly likeable in the first place. They went through a lot of development in the first two series. And while the new guy's introduction episode wasn't as half as strong as the original gang's, last night's ep was still pretty good.

alkanto
11-06-2012, 08:18 AM
No, I found them pretty likable right away. Yes, they were annoying as fuck but they were still fun to watch. Even with Rudy, I fell in love with him right away. But that's the joy of tv. People can disagree about it :P

DoctorDodge
11-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Actually, we seem to be agreeing on that last point, except for what we mean by "likeable" regarding fictional characters. When I say "likeable", I mean as people with any redeeming features whatsoever. They weren't likeable to me, just enjoyable to watch because of how hysterical they were. I only really started to actually like them once they were given some decent development eps. I think the problem with this series's first ep - and indeed, with the weaker eps of the series - is that it just wasn't funny enough to introduce the new characters with. Last night's ep was a lot better, though.

alkanto
11-06-2012, 08:25 AM
oh, I've often said that I really liked Nathan...as a tv character. If I actually knew him I'd want to curb-stomp his balls on a regular basis :lol:

DoctorDodge
11-06-2012, 08:30 AM
A key element in the best British comedy: don't make your main characters likeable. It means that when they badly fuck up and everything blows in their faces, you don't feel quite so sorry for them and therefore can just laugh your arse off without feeling guilty about it. You've watched Peep Show and Withnail & I after all to see what I mean. :lol: (Of course, the beauty part of the latter is how Withnail only becomes truly sympathetic in the film's last ten minutes. One word: "Congratulations...")

Have you watched last night's ep, btw?

alkanto
11-06-2012, 08:33 AM
I have not...still haven't even watched all of the first ep

DoctorDodge
11-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Then what the hell are we arguing about? :P

alkanto
11-06-2012, 08:36 AM
about how so far this season isn't up to par...the fact that I can't get through the first ep illustrates that. Usually I LOVE the new eps

DoctorDodge
11-06-2012, 08:39 AM
And I've said that (a) the first ep isn't a very good start, which we agree on, and (b) the 2nd ep is a massive improvement, which you haven't watched yet. Again: what the hell are we arguing about?

alkanto
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Probably something more deep-seated and personal :lol:

DoctorDodge
11-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Ugh. Just finish the first ep before watching the 2nd and then post some thoughts is my suggestion. I know it's only tv, but still, I only really like (if that is the word) to argue, or at least discuss, anything with someone when we both know what we're talking about. It's why I'm usually such a quiet lad. :P

DoctorDodge
11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Ok, latest episode: Ho. Ly. Shit.

Ok, so that's none of the original gang left. Not a bad way to go, though. I'm sure gonna miss Curtis.

DoctorDodge
12-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Well that went by quick. What did I think? Although I don't think tonight's finale was as full of sheer awesomeness as last year's (in fact, I've gotta admit, that could've worked perfectly fine as a finale to the series altogether), I enjoyed the series overall better than last year's. I wish they had used their powers a little more, but I did enjoy the focus on character development. My favourite of the new lot's definitely Abbey and her deadpan nature. Not as great as the amazing first two series, but overall, the stories have been better (and have made a lot more sense) than 3.